Pieces Of My Heart - A

windwilowk

windwilowk@aol.com

not mine

Magnificent Seven ATF

Buck/Chris Matt/Josh

R

warnings mild language

Archive yes to PEJA

feedback is welcome


Pieces Of My Heart - A
By windwilowk

Buck sat down in one of the conference rooms and wondered what the hell he was doing there. Also present were Judge Travis, a Captain Ortiz from the next town over, and Ms. Leighton. Captain Ortiz worked in Riverside's Major Crimes and Ms.Leighton was with child welfare. Buck was trying to figure how this all tied into him. The rest of the seven were equally as curious as to what was up as they waited outside trying to keep busy.

Buck sat there as an unbelievable tale was spun for him. It took him back in time. Prior to being shipped out, he and some of the guys went off base for lunch. One of them was worried that something would happen which would affect his ability to have children when he came home. He had heard about a sperm bank opening and wanted to check it out, but he didn't want to go alone. He finally roped three others, including Buck, into going along. They each had their sperm frozen for possible future use. Buck had forgotten all about it until four years ago when he saw something mentioned on the news. He went back to the sperm bank and told them he wanted his sperm destroyed.

The Doctor pulled his file out and was reviewing it when the next patient came in. She had seen Buck on his way out. When she went in she inquired as to whether he was a general donor. The Doctor told her that he wasn't a general donor. However Lizabet didn't wish to take no for an answer. She had decided she wanted a baby. She had decided she wanted the baby to come from the sperm of the man who had just left. She had money and it was a great persuader and so was she. After all what good was money if one couldn't get what they wanted. And Lizabet always got what she wanted.

A month later she was pregnant. Eight months after that she gave birth to a little girl she named Rebekah. She kept the file on the father as a souvenir. She settled in Riverside, where she opened a small boutique. One afternoon a robber who broke into her home and stumbled across the information decided to blackmail her. They got into an argument and both ended up dead. The housekeeper found them. Becky was safe outside with the housekeeper's sixteen year old daughter. She called the police, who upon finding the information, contacted child welfare. Lizabet had no other family.

Usually anonymous sperm donors didn't have legal custody or dealings with the child produced from the sperm. However, here was a case where the father in question did not donate voluntarily
for such purposes. It was felt that he should be informed of his paternal status so that he could decide the extent to which he wished to be involved. Simply, did he wish to take care of his daughter or give her up for adoption?

Buck sat there. Thoughts ran through his mind as emotions attacked his heart. And that's what it felt like. `My God. She stole my sperm and had my child. I have a child. A little three year old girl. A little three year old girl named Rebekah, Becky. I'm a dad. A DAD! Will I be a good one to her as she grows up? Grows up? That means boys will come and I know what they're like. Wonder if Chris will let me bury any at the ranch? Getting ahead of yourself there Buddy. She's only three and she just lost the only parent she's ever known. What do three year olds need? I remember a bit from Adam, but I could always give him back. Chris, he'll know.'

As the thoughts flew through his mind his heart was seized by the feelings which accompanied them, violation, realization, disbelief, fear, uncertainty, a need to protect, and determination. Tied to all those feelings was the seed of love, taking root to bloom within Buck's heart.

"I'd like to see Becky, as soon as possible. I won't be giving her up for adoption. The thought never crossed my mind."

"Of course, Mr. Wilmington. She's with Mrs. Welles, the housekeeper and her family. She's seen a doctor and is in good health. We felt it best that she be with someone she knew. We'll make arrangements for you to go there at 4:30."

With that they all got up to leave. Judge Travis put a hand on Buck's shoulder as a sign of support and said.

"I know this is quite a surprise, but it's going to be ok. You have six men out there who care about you. I'm sure they will do all they can to help."

Buck nodded. "Could you send Chris in and then tell the rest of the guys. I don't think I can deal with telling everyone at once, I'm still kinda overwhelmed by it all."

"Sure Buck. No problem." Came Judge Travis' reply.

*

Two of the people in the room with Buck exited the conference room. Still no Judge or Buck yet. Then Judge Travis came out and went over and knocked on Chris' door.

"Buck wants to talk to you. I'll be talking to the rest of the team in the other conference room."

"Judge?" Chris asked.

" He wants to tell you. I'm not going to take that away from him. Just listen, and be there for him as the friend you are." Turning and addressing the others Judge Travis continued. "Conference room B, gentlemen. I've got something to tell you."

Five men exchanged glances as they got up and followed Judge Travis. The sixth started to make his way to conference room A.

JD got up to follow. He didn't know what to think. For sure something was up with the friend and teammate . Vin, who was near him said.

"You doin ok?"

JD nodded. "Yeah, I guess, just real hard not knowing. Makes me kind of jittery inside."

"Me too. Ezra's the only one of us that seems calm. Of course, he has to be able to look calm for his undercover work. Still, though he's usually mentioned odds or started a betting pool by now."

Having heard Vin's words, Ezra replied.

"Gentlemen, there are certain times in which such behavior is completely inappropriate. I do believe this is one such occasion."

"Do you know something Ezra?"

"I know nothing of a certainty, though I do have my suspicions. However, I do believe it best for them to lay with me until Judge Travis has spoken to us."

Ezra did indeed have his suspicions. He'd been at the courthouse earlier in the week giving a deposition. He'd heard whisperings of a woman who was murdered and a child left not quite orphaned. There were words such as stolen sperm, blackmail, and a three year old girl. The two who were with the Judge this morning were the ones that were nodded to whenever he had caught snatches of such conversations.

He gave it a great deal of thought from the moment they walked in until now. Having grown up without a dad himself, he would be happy for the little girl if Buck was her dad. He was a good
teammate and friend. He had a gentleness to him.

Sure some thought Buck was a womanizer. But that wasn't completely true. On that, he would wager. It was just that it was in his nature to connect with people. It came out as flirting with the
ladies and a warm camaraderie with guys.

Chris would be of help to Buck. He was certain of that. A little smile graced his face as another thought crossed his mind. Maybe. Time would tell as the saying went. He was also quite sure that
Chris wouldn't be the only one helping. In their own dysfunctional way they were a family.

They all took their seats. Judge Travis sat at the head of the table.

"Gentlemen, I can tell that you are all worried about Buck so let me relieve your minds a bit. He is fine. He's not in trouble. While the circumstances of this coming about were less than stellar, I believe the bottom line is good."

"What is the bottom line?" JD said, his frustration showing through in the tone of his voice.

"Easy there, brother. I know you're concerned. We all are. Judge?"

"I just told Buck he is a father."

Everyone started talking at once. Vin finally let out a whistle that silenced them all.

"We ain't ever goin to know the rest if we all keep yammering. It's obvious Buck didn't find out about this the usual way. Just what happened?"

Judge Travis told them. They sat stunned for a few moments. Then the reactions came - a sense of amazement at the turn Buck's life had taken, happiness for him that he was a dad, anger at the bitch who played with people as though she was a goddess, and they were there for her amusement.

She'd had the baby she wanted, but the little girl had been robbed of a father. And Buck, if he had even a hint of an idea that he had a child, he would have been there. So many moments that could have been shared were lost. They could never be reclaimed. The future was yet an open book.

The men decided they would help to see each page was filled with only the best. They weren't quite sure on where to begin to help Buck. They'd take their cues from Chris. Just then someone's
stomach rumbled. Chances were Buck and Chris would be hungry too. Simple enough, here's where they would begin to lend a helping hand. Vin and JD decided to get take out for them all including Chris and Buck. Josiah and Nathan drew Ezra aside and they talked some more.

Meanwhile

`Be there for him as the friend you are. What kind of news warrants a statement like that? And what would the good Judge say if he knew the friend I am would like to kiss and caress every inch of Buck; that I would in fact hold him through the night, if I could?' Chris turned the corner and opened the door. Buck raised his head from where it had rested on his arms on the table. His eyes swam with emotions. `What the hell was going on?'

"Buck?"

Chris walked over and put his hand on Buck's shoulder. Buck's eyes met his. He was holding something in his hand, caressing it with his thumb. Buck waved his other hand in the direction of a
nearby chair.

"Think you might want to have a seat for this."

Chris sat down next to Buck.

"What's all this about Buck?" Chris' imagination had been going wild with possible scenarios. He really wanted to know.

Buck set the picture down in front of Chris. Chris picked it up to see a little blue eyed girl with a smile so like Buck's.

"I have a little girl Chris. The Judge told me I'm a daddy. She's three years old." Buck said softly, as if he still wasn't quite certain of the reality.

"The Judge told you? What about your girlfriend?"

"See that's the thing Chris, she wasn't my girlfriend. In fact I never even slept with her. Seems she stole my sperm to get the job done. Now she's dead and there's no one else in her family. So they gave me the choice of keeping Becky or putting her up for adoption. I'm keeping her Chris."

Chris sat there stunned. He could see his friend in the picture of the little girl he held in his hands. He got scared that he might lose Buck to the woman who was the girl's mom. Not that he had Buck now, but he'd been thinking of doing something about that. Then he was ashamed to be thinking of himself and what he wanted. Then came the words - wasn't my girlfriend - `ok maybe
this had come about from comforting a friend' what a sense of relief. `Whoa, - never slept with her- stole my sperm - how the hell do you do that?' His mind provided the details as he could figure them with what he knew at the moment causing Chris to almost groan. `No choice. Of course he's keeping her. Becky. Becky Wilmington. Now to get the rest of the story. But first.'

"Congratulations Buck."

"Thanks Chris."

"I have a feeling from what you've said so far there's quite a bit to this story." Chris said.

"Yeah, there is." Buck replied.

"Feel like sharing?" Chris asked.

"Are you sure? I mean talking about sperm banks and artificial insemination, well it isn't our usual conversation, ya know."

"I know Buck. I also know that when I first came in here and you looked up there were quite a few emotions in your eyes. I'm here for you Buck, whatever you need, whenever you need it. Right now though I'd be willing to simply listen, cause I think you've got a story that needs telling."

So Buck told him. When he got to the part where Lizabet bribed the doctor for Buck's sperm, Chris saw red. But she was dead, leaving others to bring order to the chaos she had left in her wake.

There was a knock on the door. JD and Vin brought in what they had picked up for Chris and Buck. They both offered their congratulations and then left as they could see the two men were still talking.

Over lunch they talked. Buck needed to go over to that woman's house sometime and get Becky's clothes, toys, and other things. Whatever was left would be sold and put into trust for her.

Buck wasn't sure about taking Becky to the loft. Certain things like the slats in the stair railing couldn't be easily child proofed. Then there was the question of where for sleeping. Chris suggested that he come out to the ranch for the weekend. They could pick up an age appropriate bed and set it up in the one guest room. Buck could have the other. Buck could take time during the weekend to figure things out. Becky could meet the rest of her new uncles at dinner on Saturday.

They left the conference room. The rest of the guys told Buck how happy the were for him. They were all invited to the ranch for dinner Saturday. Buck took JD aside for a minute and invited him
out to the ranch for lunch as well.

He'd just purchased a house near Chris' - he'd only told JD and was waiting until he had the keys in hand to tell the rest of the guys. JD and Brianna were engaged. The boy was in for a surprise.
Buck had made arrangements to turn the loft over to the newlyweds as a wedding gift. Buck ran his fingers over the house keys he'd picked up just that morning.

Chris left with Buck to get that bed and get it set up. They would also have to get childproof gadgets. Buck was nervous about this afternoon, and while he wanted to meet Becky one on one first, he wanted Chris along. He felt a little silly. After all he had done just fine with Adam when he was that age. Yet somehow just knowing Chris was there to lean on made him feel calmer inside. He was plenty grateful for all his friends, but especially Chris.

*

Buck and Chris headed on out to a nearby store. They picked up a bed, some sheets and such for the bed, and some child safety gadgets. Then as they were going by the stuffed animals, both
men spotted a chestnut colored horse. Buck started to mention it as Chris was reaching for it. They paid for their purchases and left.

Next, they went to the grocery store. Buck looked kind of panicked when he realized he didn't know what Becky liked to eat or if she was allergic to any foods. Chris inquired if Ms. Leighton had mentioned allergies. Buck shook his head. They both figured they'd get the basics, including cereals, simple snacks, and fruits. They'd be sure to ask when they picked up Becky. They also picked up lunchmeat and fixings for hamburgers for Saturday.

They got to Chris' and Chris unloaded the groceries while Buck took the other items back to the bedroom. Chris had said that the bed that was in there could come down. They'd stick it in the
storage shed for the while. The dressers could stay. They were in good condition and would get some use.

Buck managed to get the old bed taken apart. He and Chris placed the pieces in the shed. Then they managed to get the small bed put together with relative ease. Buck put the sheets on the bed, along with the comforter, which was decorated with little winged horses.

While he was making the bed, Chris installed the safety gadgets, moved some things to higher ground, and went through the bathroom Becky would be using to make sure there were no razors, medicines, or cleaners that curiosity seeking three year olds loved to explore.

Buck got out the stuffed horse he was going to give Becky, when his emotions started wreaking havoc on him again. He sat down near the side of the bed as different thoughts crossed his mind.

Chris finished up and went back to see if Buck was about done. They still had over an hour left before they had to leave. He found Buck sitting by the bedside with a wounded look on his face, and such sadness in his eyes. It was obvious that he was fighting back tears. A wan smile crossed Chris' features as a memory surfaced for a moment. While this was a completely different set of circumstances, he could see that a little role reversal was in order.

"Hey there." he said softly as he entered the room.

Buck saw a pair of black boots in front of him and looked up at the sound of Chris' voice. Chris sat down next to him and reached out lifting his chin so their eyes could meet.

"Looking a little rough Buck. Think we're back to talking again."

"I'm okay. I just need to pull myself together." Buck tried, but failed to sound convincing.

"Could be wrong here, but needing to pull yourself together seems to be the opposite of being ok."

"I said I'd be fine Chris, leave it alone." Buck snapped allowing the one emotion he'd held away to come to the surface for a moment.

"Feeling a little angry, Buck?" Chris asked. He'd expected this somewhere along the road.

"Yes damn you, I feel angry, but that doesn't mean I need to be coddled! Getting up he headed to the doorway saying vehemently. "I'm not a baby. Quit coddling me like one!"

Chris followed him into the living room. He knew what he had to say next would get to the crux of Buck's anger. It would hurt, but once Buck faced it then the wound that caused the anger would start to heal.

"Buck, wait." Buck turned. "Becky's not a baby either." Fire flared in Buck's eyes, then they dimmed as he said in a defeated tone.

"No she's not." He sat down heavily on the couch the sadness, so profound and deep, once again in his eyes. Chris came around it as a teardrop started down Buck's cheek. Chris' arms wrapped around Buck as the tears fell. After a few minutes, Buck pulled back with an embarrassed look on his face.

"Hey now, what's that look for?" Chris said gently.

Buck blushed. "I' m sorry Chris. Didn't mean to go blubbering like a weepy woman on you."

"It's alright. About three months after Sarah and Adam died I was over at your place. I came across that teddy bear you had bought early for Adam's birthday. I was angry and sad. Do you remember what you said to me when I felt embarrassed to be crying on your shoulder?"

Shaking his head Buck said. "Aw, Chris. That's not fair using my words against me. That's just wrong. "

"So you do remember Buck." Chris prompted.

"Yeah." Buck conceded.

"Well." Chris encouraged.

Buck took a deep breath. "I told you that there was no better place for a hurting person than a friend's arms and that crying didn't take away from who you were. It just let another part of who you were inside, out for someone to care for."

"So get back here and talk to me." Chris said opening his arms. Buck felt a little funny, but he moved back. He settled in the embrace of his friend, finding it comforting and good.

" After we got the bed all put together, I made it and stood back to look at it. Then this feeling of wrongness hit me. It's not the way it's supposed to be Chris. You're supposed to have some fun along the way, then she tells you there's gonna be a baby. That gives you eight months to get used to the idea and to buy baby things and clothes. After that, during birth you get called all kinds of names and have to swear to all kinds of things, and then you get to hold your baby. She was born and I never got to hold her, to feed her, rock her, comfort her. She's lived three years of her life with no clue who I am."

"So hold her, rock her, and comfort her now and she'll come to know you." Chris said.

"I'm scared Chris. What if I can't be what she needs?" Buck asked and Chris could hear the fear in his voice.

"You can be, you will be, and you are. I know you're scared. I don't think there's a caring parent alive who isn't. It's going to be just fine." Chris said with conviction.

"You really think that Chris?" Buck asked seeking further assurance.

Chris nodded. "Yeah, I do. You have JD, Vin, Ezra, Nathan, and Josiah. You also have me. We all care about you Buck. We'll all be here for you."

"Thanks Chris, I feel better. Still feel a little anxious, but better. Think I'll go take a quick shower before we head out."

Chris reluctantly let go of Buck. "You do that."

Buck went into the shower. He found the warm water as comforting as Chris' embrace. Things would be ok.

Chris sat on the couch and pulled the afghan around him. He wanted to capture and savor the lingering warmth of holding Buck. What was offered in friendship ran much deeper in his heart. He decided to take things a bit at a time, and to cherish what was offered. Hearing the shower shut off, he got up and got ready to get Becky. She would probably wrap herself round all their hearts. Heaven help them.

Chris took the back way off of his property. They went by a little ranch house. It was stone with black shutters. A porch ran across the front. There was a sign indicating it was sold.

"Chris, could you stop for a minute?" Buck asked.

"Buck?" Chris questioned in turn.

"How'd you like a new neighbor, pard?" Buck replied.

"What? When?" Chris looked surprised.

"Been thinking on getting another place for a while now. Found this place long about the time JD got engaged. Paperwork's all gone through. Matter of fact, I got the keys to the place this morning. Maybe we could come out tomorrow and I'll show you the inside."

"Sounds good to me." Chris answered.

*

Buck was taking a week of family leave time. Chris had offered to take vacation time, but Buck persuaded him not to. Buck was wound up and tired all at the same time and the gentle motion of
the vehicle soon had him drifting off. Chris looked over at the first red light in town to see Becky's picture slipping from Buck's fingers. He reached over and gently caught the picture, placing it safely in the visor above Buck's head. He took in the sight of his friend resting and a little smile graced his lips.

A short while later Chris pulled into the driveway to a brick home whose address matched the address Buck had been given. It was in a pretty little neighborhood, a development, but not the
cookie cutter sort, where it looked like someone with no imagination just stamped out houses.

Chris turned off his jeep and gently ran his hand down Buck's arm, waking him without startling him. Buck's eyes opened and he looked over at Chris.

"Didn't realize I was so tired."

"You've had a bit of a shock, pard. While it's a good one in a lot of ways, it can still be draining. Shall we?" Chris said opening the door.

"Let's." Buck said as he undid his seatbelt.

They disembarked and made their way to the front door. Buck reached out and rang the doorbell. A pleasant looking woman opened the door. She held it wide so they could enter. She led them into the kitchen, which was in the back of the house. Ms. Leighton was there. The window was open and they could hear a little voice urging someone to push higher. Buck made his way to the window and they saw a teenage girl pushing Becky on a swing. In a voice filled with quiet awe Buck turned to Chris and said.

"Do you see her Chris? Do you see my little girl?"

"Yes, Buck I do." Chris said with a smile.

Ms. Leighton interrupted.

"Excuse me gentlemen." Buck and Chris both turned towards her. "I'm sure you want to meet Becky, but I'd just like to go over a few things first. Why don't we have a seat?" She said indicating the table and chair in the kitchen. They sat down and Ms. Welles offered them a drink Ms. Leighton continued.

"First, I wanted you to know Ms. Welles has been showing Becky your picture this afternoon as we discussed. She has explained that you're her daddy and she understands as best as a three - year old can. She's very friendly, but she's had a lot of changes to cope with lately. Ms. Welles said Becky had pretty much stopped taking naps before losing her mother, but is taking them again. She's also had a few accidents while sleeping. I think though once she's in a routine and she feels at home, loved and safe, she'll probably give up the naps again and have fewer if no accidents. It'll just take time and patience. Do you have any questions?"

Chris and Buck asked about various things including allergies. Becky didn't have any that they knew of. Her mother had been allergic to the internal iodine dye that was used for CAT scans,
so it was decided it would be wise to always have that info in Becky's medical records, so if ever needed the doctors could pre- treat her or would know to look for a reaction.

"Ms. Welles, I think things would work best if you took Mr. Wilmington out to meet Becky."

"Of course, are you ready?" Ms. Leighton asked Buck.

"As I'll ever be." Buck replied.

Chris and Ms. Leighton watched out the window as Ms. Welles led Buck out towards his daughter. She had recently given up the swing for the sliding board. Chris called up Vin and asked him for a favor. Vin readily agreed.

Hearing Chris' end of the conversation, Ms. Leighton easily guessed what was up. Looks like Judge Travis was right when he said Mr. Wilmington would have no end of help. Looking out at the scene of the little girl going down the slide and into the arms of her father, she had to smile. She remembered the others from the bullpen at the ATF office. Becky was going to have her share of uncles. They would probably spoil her.

Then she remember how her own uncle was when she was visiting and wanted to date a neighbor's boy and she said a prayer, because Becky had at least six uncles, not just one, who would be looking out for her when she was old enough to date. `Oh to be a fly on the wall.'

Meanwhile

Buck made his way outside with Ms. Welles. Becky had gotten off the swing and was going down the slide. When she got down, Ms. Welles called her over. Her own daughter headed into the house, saying hello to those in the kitchen, before heading to her room.

Buck looked down into sweet blue eyes and fell in love. She was all of thirty pounds and three feet tall. Brown ringlets of hair fell softly on her shoulders. She was wearing jeans and a pastel
pink tee shirt as well as some sneakers on her feet. She held Ms. Welles hand and looked up at him with her eyes wide. Ms. Welles said.

"Remember the pictures I showed you." the little girl nodded yes. "This is your Daddy."

Buck crouched down so he was eye level.

"Hi there Becky." He said with a smile.

"Hi." She said a little shyly.

"Sure looks like that slide is fun."

"It is." She said looking at it like she wanted to go back on.

"Would you like to slide some more?" Buck asked.

"Yeah!" She said turning and heading for the slide. She slowly climbed the steps. When she was at the top she looked down at the man standing at the bottom of the slide.

"Can Daddy catch you, pumpkin?" Buck asked, praying Becky would be receptive.

"Yes." Becky said with a smile. Then she sat down and slid down the slide to be scooped up into the waiting arms. Buck snatched her up and spun her around till she was laughing. Then he gently
put her down.

She looked up and said. "Catch me Daddy." Then she twirled away and made her way to the top of the slide again. Down she came and up she went spinning in her daddy's arms till she was laughing again.

Ms. Welles had since gone in and invited Chris to stay for dinner. He agreed on behalf of Buck, thinking this was probably best for tonight. Ms. Welles sent him out to tell Buck, and then started
dinner.

Buck had just put Becky down when he noticed she became quiet and still. Looking back to see what had her attention, he spotted Chris. Turning to Becky he said.

"Want you to meet someone. This is Chris. He's my friend." With that Chris came over.

"Hi Becky."

Taking Buck's hand as she had Ms. Welles earlier, she said.

"Hi." Then she looked at Buck with a twinkle in her eye. "Daddy catches me."

"He does?" Chris asked.

Becky nodded her head vigorously. "Yeah. He's going to push me." She said looking towards the swings.

"Can I push you too?" Chris asked.

Becky thought for a moment. "I guess. What's your name?"

"It's Chris."

Becky quickly made up her mind. "Ok. Swing."

They were taking turns swinging Becky. Chris let Buck know they'd been invited for dinner and he'd accepted. Soon they were called in. Moira had set the table and helped her Mom take things out to it. They talked about different things.

When the meal was over Moira cleared the table while Ms. Welles led Chris back to the room where Becky's things were. He took them out to his jeep and got them loaded. Ms. Welles also gave him Becky's car seat and they managed to get it installed. Soon after they said their goodnights and headed out.

"Where are we going?" Becky asked.

"To Chris' house." Buck replied.

"Ok." She said with a yawn, and then nodded off.

Soon they were back at the ranch. Buck undid the car seat straps and Becky's eyes fluttered open.

"We're here pumpkin." Buck said as he lifted her out of the back.

Chris suggested. "Why don't you give Becky a bath while I bring her things in? I'll find her night clothes and bring them `fore she gets out of the tub."

"Sounds good." Buck replied.

Becky was just kind of looking around. Buck took her back and showed her room. He showed her where his room was. She noticed the other bedroom and asked.

"Who sleeps there?"

Buck answered. "Chris. Come on pumpkin, let's get you washed up and to bed."

Buck got her washed up. Chris came with her pj's. Then they tucked her into bed with the stuffed horse. Then they read her a story and kissed her goodnight. Before they left she asked.

"You go to bed, Daddy?"

"Soon pumpkin." Buck said, lightly running his fingers through her curls.

"Daddy Chris go to bed?" Came the little voice.

"Sweetie, this is your daddy." Chris said indicating Buck. "You can call me Uncle Chris."

"No. You Daddy Chris." She said giving him a hug. "You Daddy." She said giving Buck a hug. Then she snuggled under the covers and held her horse. She closed her eyes and was asleep before either man could figure out what to say to her.

Buck and Chris made their way to the kitchen. Chris got them each a beer and then they settled on the couch in the living room.

"Here you go." Chris offered.

"Thanks." Buck said taking the bottle. Chris was worried he would see a hurt look in Buck's eyes. He said.

"We'll figure this daddy thing out." Then he noticed that instead of looking hurt, Buck had a twinkle of mischief in his eyes.

Buck considered things. "Actually it's kind of cute and in a way it suits you. Unless you're not comfortable with it."

Chris looked surprised. "It's not that. Are you sure? I mean you're her father and she's calling me Daddy."

"No. She's calling me Daddy. You're Daddy Chris, remember." Buck said saluting Chris with the beer bottle.

"I'm not going to win this one, am I?" Chris said, feeling certain of defeat.

"Against two Wilmingtons, don't think so." Buck replied smugly.

"What do you say we call it a night?" Chris said before finishing his beer.

"Sounds good to me." Buck agreed.

"I'm just going to take care of these bottles." Chris said taking Buck's from his hand.

Buck went down the hall. He opened the door to Becky's room and watched her for a moment. Then he headed to his room, across from Chris'.

Chris went down the hall. He too, looked in on Becky. He softly closed the door. Then he came back down the hall to the guest room and put his palm flat upon the door and whispered.

"Happy father's day." Then he turned and went into his room. He looked forward to tomorrow and the discovery of the surprise he'd had Vin set up. He got ready for bed and crawled under the covers, drifting off to sleep with a smile on his face.

END