TITLE: Ghost from the Past

AUTHOR: TexasAries

WARNINGS: Violence, Language, adult themes, Supernatural. It's not a deathfic but the death of major characters are involved.

RATING: SLASH, Pre-slash, NC-17.

PAIRING: CHRIS/VIN/EZRA

STATUS: Finish

ARCHIEVE: YES

DISCLAIMER: I do not claim any rights over the Magnificent 7 characters used in this story, which has been written for the joy of writing only (whether it be good writing or no) and for no other purpose (such as monetary gain). Trilogy Entertainment Group, the Mirisch Group and MGM own the Mag 7 characters/aspects of the story.

WARNING: This fic is rated NC-17 for explicit sexual content between three men. If that's not your thing I don't know why you're on this list. ;) However, if you're accidental or stumbled into a web site somewhere, consider yourself warned. If you're illegal age or uncomfortable, amscray!

I should also warn those that like Mary Travis then you really don't want to read this fic.

NOTE: I want to thank MotherRati for beta reading this story for me and for the encouragement to start and finish it. Also thanks for JulieB for beta reading and MotherRati and Conjure to edit it.


Ghost from the Past
by TexasAries

July 24, 1877

Three people met in the dark alley beside the hotel, their features hidden by the darkness of the night. A woman's voice asked, "You both know what to do?"

"Yes," a male voice answered.

The woman's voice dripped with hate and disgust. "I want their deaths to look like an accident."

A second male voice answered. "No problem. Just remember, we get fifty dollars apiece for doing this."

The woman waved her hand dismissively. "Yes, yes. I'll have your money ready tomorrow. Now just do it."

---------------------------------------------

July 25, 1877

EZRA'S POV

I sit here keeping watch over the bodies of Chris Larabee and Vin Tanner, not believing that they've died. They look like they are simply sleeping, almost as if they are waiting for me to wake them…but when I touch them I have to admit to myself that they are dead. The others, my brothers, are watching me carefully as if I were made of spun glass. Nathan drugged my coffee this morning so that I slept most of the day, but I had awakened earlier than they'd expected and snuck out of the clinic to come here, to be near them.

None of our brother peacekeepers knew of the relationship between Vin, Chris and myself. We'd decided to keep it secret out of necessity, for it would not have sat well with the people of the town or even with our friends; being discovered having same-sex relations would have resulted in us being jailed, run out of town or even killed, so we'd kept it quiet. All anyone knew was that we had become close friends after the assassination attempt on Mary's life. We'd recently decided to pool our money to buy the McAllisters' ranch and start raising horses…but now that dream is dust.

When Buck found me, I told him that I was fine and that I just wanted to watch over them tonight. Josiah, Nathan, JD, and Buck each took turns in checking up on me probably afraid that I might do something rash. Instead I sat between them holding one of their cold, lifeless
hands in each of mine and trying to come to terms with the fact that I would never again hear their loving voices, never feel their hands touching and caressing me, never again feel their love. I now understand how Chris must have felt at the deaths of his wife and son, for I feel like my heart and soul are as dead as my beloveds now are.

Buck told me that the men who found Chris were murdered outside of town, both shot in the back. I couldn't even raise the interest to ask whom they were, not while trying to deal with this.

"Ez....." I raised my head to look around, for it sounded like Vin calling my name.

"Ezraaaa..." I stood and pulled my gun looking into the shadows of the room to see who would pull such a cruel joke by making me think that Vin and Chris were calling my name.

Then one corner of the room began to glow and a warm summer breeze assaulted my senses. Within the glow I saw a beautiful summer meadow, buffalo roaming and then two figures appeared and started to walk towards me. I knew it was Chris and Vin and I dropped my gun,
rushing to embrace them.

I felt their hard bodies and strong arms embracing me as I cried. They held me and comforted me until I grew calmer, then they pulled back. I had closed my eyes when they first embraced me just to store up the smell of them, their touch, how their bodies felt against mine, to hold those memories for the rest of my life. When they moved back I was afraid to open them and find this was only a dream, but I couldn't ignore them as they called to me.

"Ez ... green eyes ... look at me … let me see those beautiful eyes." That loving voice was Vin's and the concern in his voice almost made me open them, but I shook my head.

"No ... If I open them you will disappear and I will be all alone again."

Then Chris gently kissed me and told me, "Ezra. Please open your eyes. Come on baby."

I couldn't resist Chris's pleading and opened my eyes. They were my Chris and Vin, but somehow more. Gone was the pain from Chris' face, instead he looked years younger and joy shone from his eyes, but there was still a little sorrow there as well. Vin's eyes were lit with happiness but as in Chris', sorrow could also be seen. Their faces glowed with an inner fire and I though that this is what angels would look like. I saw how worried they were for me but I couldn't care, for I was happy they hadn't left me. They came back to me.

Chris captured my face in his gentle hands and told me, "Ezra ... baby ... we can't stay..." I clutched at them not intending to let them ever go.

Vin hugged me and said, "Listen Pard' we will always be there for you. We will be the sun that warms you when you are cold. When you feel the winds touch, it will be Chris and I caressing you. We will always be with you, watching and waiting until the day you join us, but Ez you got to listen to us now for we don't have much time."

Chris then took over. "Ezra we were murdered..."

MURDERED!

Someone killed my lovers. A burning flame ignited within me and I wanted to tear apart the one who did this. "Who?" I demanded.

"The last thing Vin or I remember is having a drink with your mother. She found out about us and wanted to congratulate us for winning your heart. It surprised us but that is all either of us
remember, until we woke up here."

MY MOTHER?

Could she really plan and murdered them?

YES!

Now things were adding up. She hired the two men, drugged Chris and Vin and had those two men kill my lovers. They threw Vin off the roof of the hotel and somehow got one of their horses to kill Chris. Then, so that they couldn't blackmail her for more money, mother killed them. I closed my eyes, steeling myself to see that she is punished for her crimes.

"I will see to it that she is punished for what she has done." I told the spirits of my two lovers.

They stayed with me for a short while before returning to heaven. When Josiah came in to check on me I told him that I believed Vin and Chris were murdered. At first I thought he believed me, but I soon realized that he was humoring me. None of the others believed me except perhaps JD. Figuring that I had to get the proof myself, I set out to con my mother. I would put my plan into effect tomorrow after the funeral.

Since we had found my beloveds, Mary Travis was constantly at my side offering support and comfort to the remaining gunslingers and myself. It still surprises me how her attitude changed once I stepped in the way of the assassin's bullet. I think she thinks of me as her hero and I couldn't tell her the reason that I did what I did. It wasn't for her but for Chris Larabee, one of the men I secretly loved. I couldn't let my Chris be cut down by an assassin.

The whole town turned out for the burial. It took every lesson my mother ever taught me not to let my grief rage as their bodies were lowered into the ground side by side. I wanted to fall to my knees scream out my denial and grief to the world and damn the consequences, instead I stood there with tears running down my face. My other brothers' grief was as silent as my own, but we stood together to offer each other the support of our shared grief. But when the first shovel of dirt Vin's coffin I felt my knees grow weak. Something must have given me away for Mary wrapped her body around mine holding me up, but making it look like I was the one to offer support. She was a good friend and I regretted the last few weeks of avoiding her, thinking her interested in more than just friendship. No, she was a true friend being here for me.

When I returned to my room after the funeral I sat down and planned my trap for mother. I outlined everything in my journal, which I hid in my secret place in the floorboards. Knowing that my mother also kept a journal outlining her cons, how much it gained her, who she worked with, and who the victim was. If I could get that book I would have the proof I needed. I watched as she started on her rounds around town and then snuck into her room to retrieve the
journal. Knowing I had to work fast I searched her room, finally finding it hidden in the dresser attached to the bottom of a drawer. She would know that I had taken it and would come to find me.

With the book in my hands as proof I went in search of JD, to have him help me put the second part of my plan in action. It was one thing to have the journal, but it would put the final nail in her coffin when she confessed front of JD.

Tonight mother, you will be punished for what you have done!

---------------------------------------------

July 23, 2002

CHRIS POV

I checked the rearview mirror to see if Ezra was still asleep. The southerner was stretched out with his feet on the seat beside him and a cushion at his head. Gone was the suave, expensively groomed undercover agent instead a relaxed, average Joe laid there fast asleep. I had to smile for Ezra was wearing a pair of faded blue jeans, white t-shirt, and cowboy boots, his hair mussed from sleeping.

Sliding my eyes towards the right, I observed Vin taking advantage of the reclining passenger seat and was fast asleep as well. Both men were catching up on two months of lost sleep due to a tough undercover assignment. It captured one of the largest shipments of guns in Denver's ATF office history, which will probably have Team Seven handed another commendation. But the week off would be much more appreciated.

Vin, Ezra and I decided to go to Santa Fe, New Mexico for a three-day Western Antique show and exhibit. We left early on Friday to make it there for the Saturday Morning opening of the show. Each of us took a turn driving and we arrived Friday night around 11:00pm. Due to
the number of people attending the show we had to share the hotel room, but we were too tired to care.

It turned out to be a great trip with the three of us relaxing and indulging in a hobby that fascinated all of us. Ezra purchased a great big four posted bed which will be delivered to his home next week. Vin found and purchased an old brown Cavalry type hat, a mare's leg shotgun, and a couple photographs all dated around 1880's. I bought a roll-top oak desk, rocking chair and a cedar chest. All three pieces need to be restored but once they were they
would be beautiful.

This morning was the final day of the show but we decided to leave since the majority of the vendors would be gone. Now we were about five hours from home and I wanted a break from driving. I reached over to wake Vin when the truck started to sputter and almost died in the middle of the interstate. Seeing an exit sign for Four Corners, Population 2,000, I hoped that they would have a mechanic and sighed in relief when I saw how close to town we were.

By this time both Ezra and Vin were awake and were watching for a garage, which we all spotted at the same time. Yosemite's Garage was on the outskirts of town and looked like it was converted from an old stable. As I pulled into the garage the engine stopped and we
coasted the last few feet before parking.

Sighing I got out of the truck and was meet half way to the office by a mechanic around Josiah's age. As I drew near he gave me a strange look but I ignored it. I asked him, "I was wondering if you could take a look at my truck to see what the problem is."

"Sure Mister. Let's take a look."

Vin by this time had popped the hood and was leaning over the engine trying to see what the matter was. The mechanic shot a startled look at Vin before leaning over the engine moving a few parts and hoses around before pulling back to wipe his hands with a rag. "Well Mister it looks like your fuel pump is cracked. Good news is we can get your part here by tomorrow, but I won't be able to work on it till Wednesday."

I looked over at Vin to see if he had any objections to staying in town for a couple of days. He simply shook his head and I turned to Ezra who was just climbing out the truck. "Hey Ez, any problem staying a couple of days till the truck is fixed?"

With a shrug of his shoulders Ezra replied, "It's fine with me Chris."

Turning back to the mechanic I asked him, "Is there somewhere nice we can stay?"

The mechanic nodded his head towards town and said. "Well there's the Potter's Bed and Breakfast or Four Corner's Hotel, they are both in easy walking distance from here."

Holding out my hand I told him. "Chris Larabee. Thanks. The stuff in my truck, is there anywhere I could store it?"

He was giving me a weird look as he shook my hand. "Don't worry Mister Larabee, I'll put your truck inside at night. The name is Jason Yosemite, I'm the owner so I'll see you Wednesday." He then turned back to the garage and I pulled my bag from the truck and we
set off towards town.

The town had made an effort to restore the old buildings downtown and had turned it into a quaint historical attraction. The old jail and what appeared to be an old newspaper office called The Clarion both had been turned into museums. I knew all three of us would want to visit, and the beautifully restored little stores we passed all displayed various types of antiques. I was looking forward to exploring the shops.

We tried Potter's Bed and Breakfast, which appeared to be an actual restored version of an old west boarding house, but they were full so we decided to try the Four Corners Hotel. The hotel had been restored like the rest of the downtown and had a welcoming feel to it. As we made our way inside the clerk, who was in costume, gave us a friendly grin until we took our sunglasses off.

I though for a moment she was going to faint and rushed over to her. Ezra and Vin followed with the texan helping me to settle the girl down on a stool and the southerner getting her a glass of water. Everywhere we went in town today had the people giving us a second look, falling over things staring at us, now this. "Miss, are you all right?" I asked.

She continue to stare at Ezra never taking her eyes off him, making the southerner uncomfortable when a middle aged man step out from the back room. "Elizabeth. I..." Seeing us surrounding her, he said "My God! Elizabeth, are you all right?"

The man hurried to the girl's side and demanded, "What happen? What did you do to her?"

"Sirah all we did was walk in the door and the young lady almost fainted." I could tell that Ezra was still unnerved by the girl's reaction to him and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rising as if someone had walked over my grave. I shot a look over to Vin to see what he made of this town's strange behavior.

The man swiveled to look up at Ezra and then slowly rose to stand between him and the girl. The color faded from his face and I was worried that he might faint. Then in a shaky voice he asked, "What can I do for you sirs?"

I figured I better take over getting our rooms so we could figure out what the hell was going on with this town. "We would like three rooms for two, maybe three nights." The man swung his eyes towards me and then to Vin. If it was possible he got even paler. He reached for the girl's arm and pulled her up to follow behind him as he made his way to the counter. When they reached the door he came out of he pushed her through it and closed it before turning and helping us.

I was starting to get a pounding headache with all the strange reactions we had been getting from the town's people and all I wanted was to lay down to rest. Taking out my wallet, I handed my Visa to the manager. "Here put it on my card. You guys can pay me back later."

The man took it and told me, "The rooms are $49.99 each and we are running a special if you stay two nights the third is free. Is that all right Mr. ..." then he glanced down at my name and
squeaked "Larabee?"

That was the final straw and I growled "Yes ... Yes that's fine, can we have our rooms now?"

This even made him more nervous as he handed us cards to fill out. "Could ... could you and the other two ... gentlemen sign these ... while ... while I get your keys?"

We hurriedly filled out the cards and grabbed our keys. I think all three of us just wanted some time to ourselves to sooth our ruffled nerves. As I lay down for a nap I though we needed to go shopping for some clothes or do laundry someplace.

---------------------------------------------

EZRA POV

I knew I was dreaming, being caressed by two sets of loving hands, two hard naked bodies touching mine. Touching me with such loving gentleness I knew who ever it was, they loved me. I was experiencing in my dream what it meant to be loved totally and completely, something in real life that had never really to me.

Both bodies shifted closer and I felt two hard male erections sliding against my body. The shock was realizing it was two men making love to me. Driving me insane with pleasure and touching me. I thought to break free of their embrace, but my dream self didn't want that to happen. Instead, I returned each caress with one of my own and against my wishes I started to relax and enjoy the pleasure.

Curious as to who was giving me so much delight and love, I started to search in the darkness. Slowly it started getting lighter until I could look into the hungry blue eyes of Vin Tanner. Vin leaned in and kissed me. My dream self was moaning in pleasure at the sweet assault while I was in shock.

Never have I ever thought of Vin that way.

HELL, I rarely though of any man in that matter and never anyone who I worked with, but my resolve was slowly weakening under Vin's passionate attack. I reached out to touch him of my own accord, to enjoy the silkiness of his skin.

Vin released my mouth so that we could breathe, and he leaned his forehead against mine. "Ez, I love you." Cupping my cheek, he continued in a voice husky with desire. "I love you green-eyes." Then he kissed me again.

Then the other man wrapped his arms around both of us and he started to lick and kiss my ear making me purr. Then in a voice laden with so much passion I didn't recognize him at first, "Ezra, baby we both love you."

OH MY GOD!

CHRIS!

Then I was suddenly facing my mother but not, for this woman was dressed in something from the pass. Anger and vengeance burned through my heart and soul as I snarled at her "Admit it mother. You killed Vin and Chris."

The woman drew herself up as if I insulted her. "I did no such thing Ezra. Where did you get such ridiculous idea?"

Sneering I told her. "I have your journal mother. I know. I know everything but why."

Her face drained of all color. "Ezra that's private property and I demand that you return it to me."

"No mother, you will be punished for killing Vin and Chris. I swear to their spirits that you will get what is coming to you." I turned my back and heard the click of her derringer being released. Turning back towards her I said, "Put that away mother, you're not going to shoot me."

"Give me my journal Ezra." She demanded, as I took a step towards her to disarm her.

"No" I told her and then grabbed the gun, which she refused to let go. As we struggled over the weapon I heard JD slam open the door and then felt a bullet rip though my chest. I never heard the shot, the last thing I heard was Maude screaming my name.

I sat straight up as I awoke.

Woke from a dream that was both erotic and deadly.

How will I look them in the face after that exotic and pleasurable dream?

Why did I dream that my mother killed Chris and Vin?

---------------------------------------------

VIN POV

The dream started with me riding towards a shack I see in the distance. As I got closer I saw Chris and Ezra working on a gate, but something was off. They looked like my Chris and Ezra, but the clothes looked like something they would wear in the old west.

Chris looked up at me and said, "About time you got here Tanner. I was about to send out a search party for you."

I was still trying to figure out what was going on but I heard myself say. "Well Cowboy, I jus' figured I'd come after ya did all the work."

Ezra looked up at me hands on his hips, "Well Mr. Tanner, since you didn't help us you will not be getting any of the delicious apple pie Mrs. Potter gave me."

"Ah, come on Ez ... apple is my favorite." Then I lowered my voice making it even raspier and huskier than usual, enjoying the way the southerner's eyes grew darker with passion before I continued. "What if I gave ya both a back rub? Could I get a piece then?" I begged as I got down from the horse.

Ezra turned to Chris and prompted. "Well ... what do you say Chris? Do you think it's a fair trade?"

Chris crossed his arms and pinched his lip while looking me up and down with a mischievous light flickering in the green depths of his eyes. "I don't know Ez ... I think someone needs to do a little more than a backrub for a piece of that pie."

I felt myself slowly walk towards Chris, swaying and rolling my hips just a little and watched that mischievous light change to one of hunger and desire. I molded my body to his, wrapping one arm around his slim waist, kneading one ass cheek in my other hand.

WHAT THE HELL!

I tried to let go but I couldn't. Instead, I heard my voice, husky with desire, say "What if I gave ya individual attention, something like this maybe?" I then took Chris' mouth in a demanding kiss, exploring his mouth with my tongue, tasting Chris and hearing him moan in pleasure as my hips thrush against his. He tasted like whiskey, beef stew, and pure Chris. I only back I so I could take a breath before asking in a sultry voice as I nuzzled his neck, "Would that earn me a piece, Cowboy?"

Panting he answered me, his voice low and husky as his body responded to mine, "I … I don't know … oooohhhh … maybe … maybe you should … aaaahhhh yyyyyeessss … check with Ezra."

Giving one last little nip, I gently released Chris and turned in Ezra's direction. He was leaning against the gate that he and Chris were fixing with sexy, heated eyes holding a touch of a challenge in them for me. I felt myself smile as I accepted his challenge, making my way towards him determined to have him making those little sounds that I just know will drive me and Chris mad with desire for him. I felt myself trapping him against the gatepost, pushing my leg between
his and lifting him so that our straining erections could grind together. I looked down into his eyes before ravenously claiming his mouth. As with Chris, I could taste beef stew, whiskey and the intoxicating spice of the man himself. Where I dominated the kiss with Chris, I dueled with Ezra seeking to conquer with quick thrusts and slow sensual caresses. Finally, I heard Ezra moan in surrender before I pulled back.

I couldn't stop myself from kissing or caressing either man and somehow I knew. Knew in the way they looked at me, touched me, that they loved me and I in this vision loved them with every particle in my body. I never thought of either Chris or Ezra in that way before but … but this dream is opening that door. I have always found them attractive, but they meant too much to me for me to ruin with wanting more so I just left it alone. The brotherhood formed between all of us was something I have looked a longtime for. I satisfy that itch somewhere else when it becomes too much for me to handle.

Turning my attention back to this dream, I saw Ezra licking his lips as I released his mouth to nibble my way under his jaw. I smiled as I heard his breathless response. "On … on second … ooohhhh … though I … hmmmm … your proposal …. there Vin … has merit."

Then the scene suddenly changed as two men yanked me out of Ezra's arms and I couldn't seem to move. All I heard was "She wants it to look like an accident."

Then another voice said, "He's up here all the time so falling off in the middle of the night would just be about right. His luck just ran out."

Then I was thrown from the roof and I felt myself falling, knowing that I would die when I hit the ground.

Gasping I woke, shaken by both parts of the dream but especially the last part. I took deep breaths to help calm my nerves, to get over the feeling of falling to my death. As I calmed, I tried to shake off the dream, but it didn't seem like a dream. It was too real, almost like it happened sometime in the past. I recognized the place that I was thrown from, for it was this hotel.

---------------------------------------------

CHRIS POV

The dream started off with me walking into a bedroom lit by lantern to see both Vin and Ezra taking off their clothes. I tried to leave but I felt myself leaning in the doorway, desire heating my blood and started to pool in my groin.

I have rarely felt this way towards another man, and I have never acted on those feelings. Now, to feel them directed at two men that not only work for me but who are also my best friends had me wanting to turn and run for the hills. In desperation I even tried to wake myself up but something prevented me. So I stood there watching my two friends slowly undressing, revealing their bodies to my hungry gaze as each piece of clothing was sensually removed.

Vin pulled the shorter man against his body, embracing Ezra from behind to take over unbuttoning the Southerner's shirt, so that he could caress the smaller man's chest. My mouth felt like a desert as I watched Ezra's head slowly come to rest against Vin's shoulder, his body arching into the Texan's caresses as he groaned and swayed against the sharpshooter.

"Isn't ol' Ez here beautiful, Cowboy?" Vin asked his voice husky with desire as his hands caressed Ezra's nipples until they hardened into stiff cinnamon peaks, just begging to be suckled. Fanning his fingers, Vin then slowly moved them down the southerner's torso to
the top button of his pants. One hand continued to slowly slip behind the waistband of the gambler's pants to cup and caress the southerner's hardening manhood, while Vin's other hand started to unbutton Ezra's pants. The southerner was purring in pleasure as Vin played with his body, both of them swaying together as if to some exotic music that only they could hear. With a shimmy of Ezra's hips the pants were gone, leaving the southerner completely exposed to my
starving gaze.

I never saw anyone more perfect than the man before me, Ezra's body was made up of hard, lean muscle under skin that looked like cream, pure and unblemished. Like some ancient marble statue depicting a god or a male nymph put on this earth to tempt mortal man. Ezra's proud manhood was gently being stroked by Vin's hands, arousing the southerner even more, while the texan kissed and nibbled the side of the gambler's neck and shoulder. Both of us enjoyed hearing Ezra's little cries and purrs of pleasure and he was making those delicious sounds for us.

My breath caught in my throat as Ezra lifted his head to look at me. In the sultry green eyes I saw desire, need, want, and love. Pure love beckoned me forward to take him but instead I shook my head and smiled at him. Issuing a challenge which was accepted with a slow grin as he panted, "Vin … I think … Chris needs a … little … more … encouragement … and that … you still … have way to … many clothes …on."

Ezra turned around in Vin's arms to start removing the texan's clothing as slowly and as tempting as possible. With each button Ezra unfastened he placed a little kiss or lick on the area being
exposed, encouraged by the groans of pleasure from Vin that had me standing a little straighter. Once the shirt was open all the way, the southerner's hands caressed the expanse of exposed muscle and skin then ran them up towards Vin's shoulders so he could push the shirt down the texan's arms.

I licked my lips as Ezra's temping ass dimpled, shifted and moved as he leaned towards Vin to start licking and sucking on the Tracker's rose nipples. This had Vin throwing his head back, clutching Ezra's head as he arched his body towards the sweet torment of the southerner's mouth. A snarl of pleasure escaped the tracker's open mouth as his body started to tremble with passion.

Ezra must have been happy with the response from the normally quiet tracker because the southerner's fast fingers made quick work of the buttons on Vin's pants. He pushed them down, past slim hips to let gravity take over so that they fell to the floor. I sucked in a gasp for Vin was beautiful, he was all lean muscle and sun-kissed skin, built for speed and swiftness, with a coiled strength there as well.

Ezra and Vin were so different but they fit each other like two pieces of a puzzle. The southerner was exotic and sensual like a large cat while Vin was like a raging stormy wind. Both men lost themselves in caressing and arousing the other but didn't forget me, everything they did was to tempt me into coming and touching them.

Being only mortal I gave in. With a growl I stalked forward to capture my green-eyed temptation to ravish his kiss-swollen lips, caress rose petal soft skin, and to grab Ezra's round ass cheeks pulling him firmly against me. My denim encased erection ground against his, I absorbed the very spice of this man was until I was forced to pull back so that I could breathe. Ezra's eyes were so dilated with passion that they appeared black as he rested bonelessly in my arms. I then snaked one arm freed to pull my texan wildfire against me so that I could ravish him as I had my sweet Georgia peach.

Ezra's busy fingers quickly unbuttoned my shirt as I was hungrily devouring Vin's mouth and I felt the texan's trembling hands trying to help the southerner undress me. I felt myself smirk, I couldn't allow him to think about anything but me taking and possessing him. I increased the intensity of the kiss, making him forget what he was doing and whimper in need and desire as he rubbed his body against mine. Only when I was threatened with passing out did I release Vin from the kiss. His expression was dazed and the upturned face was flushed with desire. Gently I kissed one then the other until Ezra pushed me onto the bed where both men removed my boots and yanked my jeans off before they pounced.

Suddenly the dream changed; instead two men were dragging me to a stable. I couldn't move, but I knew that if I didn't I would be dead. Then from somehow I knew that Vin was dead. One part of my soul cried out in denial, the other half was frantic with fear that Ezra would be next if I didn't get away, but I couldn't.

Then a voice said, "I'm starting to think $50.00 apiece isn't enough for this job."

"I think your right ... more like a $100 apiece. After all she doesn't want to get caught."

They threw me in a stall with a strange horse, then I heard a whistle. The next thing I felt was a blow landing on my chest. I awoke crying out my denial, as my heart raced and I took gasping
breaths to try to calm down. It was only a dream. It was only a dream.

---------------------------------------------

The three men could not go back to sleep but paced around their small bedrooms, each man trying to deal with the two different aspects of their own dream.

Hunger finally drove Vin to knock on Ezra's door where the young texan waited nervously till the southerner opened it. The men exchanged uneasy glances, each remembering what it was like to touch and kiss the other man, until Vin took a deep breath. "I'm hungry and I though maybe you and Chris would like to join me for dinner."

Ezra chided himself for letting a dream that meant nothing interfere with his friendship with Vin. "That sounds great Vin. Let me just grab my wallet."

Chris startled both men as he opened the door before Ezra could knock. The blond blinked at the sudden appearance of the two men that he had dreamed about not more than an hour ago. Squashing his arousal at seeing the two men after such an erotic and disturbing dream, he told them "I guess what they say is true. Great minds do think alike."

The three men wandered slowly down to the lobby, preparing themselves for the reaction of the town folk once again. As they reached the lobby the men noticed a twenty-year old man standing watch at the front desk. Bracing themselves for the typical reaction, the men were surprised when the young man turned and smiled at them. "May I help you Gentlemen?"

Letting go the breath he was holding, Chris asked, "Is there a restaurant within walking distance?"

The desk clerk though for a minute and then told them, "Normally I would suggest the hotel, but the chef had to leave for an emergency so it’s closed tonight. There is the Saloon across the street though; the food isn’t fancy but it’s good, plus it was once a real Western saloon and has a small museum that you can tour. The people around here told me that it’s supposed to be haunted by a gambler, but I just moved here so I can’t tell you if it’s true or not."

Chris nodded his thanks and the three men headed to the saloon.

As they were crossing the street, Vin remarked, "JD will be disappointed at missing a chance to meet a ghost."

Ezra slid a glance to his friend and asked, "Vin you can’t tell me that you believe in such things?"

Vin’s expression turned serious and he told the southerner, "I don’t know Ez, but I’ve seen some odd things during my years in the army and bounty hunting. I can’t really say for sure. How about you Chris?"

Chris glared at Vin and answered grudgingly, "Yeah, I do."

The blond opened the door to allow the other two men to enter into the saloon and ran smack into them. It was deathly quite as everyone stared in wide-eye wonder at the three men. A waitress walked in from the kitchen dropped the tray she was carrying upon seeing the three men.

A little girl of about five stared at Ezra, pointing her finger and screaming at the top of her lungs. "Mommy, the ghost! The ghost is after me!" After which she started to cry.

That seemed to break the standoff between the three men and the people in the saloon. That was also the last straw for Chris, as he raised his voice and demanded, "What the hell is wrong with you people? It’s like you never seen strangers before!"

The town sheriff got up from the back table he was sitting at, making his way over to the three men who were obviously very uncomfortable and confused. The Sheriff was a friendly man in his mid forties, around six foot two but slender, with black hair turning slightly gray.

Turning to an older waitress he asked her. "Nancy, why don’t you box up my dinner and three more for these gentlemen. Send them over to the office." Then turning to the three men he introduced himself. "Gentlemen I’m Sheriff Michael Dunne. Why don’t you come with me and I can answer some of your questions."

Figuring it would be the best thing, Chris turned to walk out of the saloon followed by Ezra, Vin and Sheriff Dunne. "Gentlemen, this way please." The three men followed the sheriff to the right and down about two blocks before going into the Sheriff’s Office. Dunne ushered the three men past the gapping deputies to his office where he closed the door and then the blinds. Turning, he hung his hat on the coat rack before indicating to his visitors to have a seat.

Once seated, he looked at his three visitors and asked, "Gentlemen. I hate to do this, but could I see some identification please?"

Vin, Ezra and Chris pulled out their identification, including their ATF badges. The Sheriff looked at all the ID’s and sat looking at them in complete wonder.

Ezra was feeling that things had just gotten a little out of control and demanded, "Sheriff Dunne, could you PLEASE tell us what the hell is going on around here?"

Handing back the men’s ID’s, the sheriff took a deep breath and began. "Well it might take a while so get comfortable. Four Corners was settled around 1868 and like all towns in the west is grew and attracted some bad elements. Around 1873 five men were passing through and two of them prevented the hanging of a healer named Nathan Jackson. Judge Orin Travis later hired them as part of a group of seven peacekeepers for the town and surrounding areas. The leader was a well-known gun fighter by the name of Chris Larabee. His second in command was an ex-bounty hunter, sharpshooter, and tracker named Vin Tanner who had a $500 dollar reward on his head for a murder he didn’t commit. The others were another gun-fighter, an old friend of Larabee’s, named Buck Wilmington; the healer Larabee and Tanner saved from lynching by the name of Nathan Jackson and the preacher Josiah Sanchez. Next was my great-grandfather, Sheriff JD Dunne and lastly the gambler Ezra P. Standish."

The three men sat stunned as Dunne listed the name of each of the town’s peacekeepers. Chris was first to recover somewhat and asked, "I can understand our names spooking people but why …"

"Why do the react to all three of you?" interrupted Dunne. "Well, simply put you are carbon copies of Larabee, Tanner and Standish. I can take you over to the town museum to see for yourself. Now as to why little Cassie Wells screamed ghost it’s because your … relative … Mr. Standish haunts the saloon and believed me it’s true. I ran into the specter the first time when I was eighteen."

Ezra couldn’t believe what he was hearing. "Excuse me Mr. Dunne but you can’t be serious!"

"Oh I am totally serious, we’ve had experts out here who have documented and confirmed the haunting. I can even show you proof, the bedroom floor of the gambler’s room has a pool of blood appearing every night around nine o’clock before disappearing before dawn."

Ezra couldn’t give up the augment and questioned Dunne. "Well it could just be a hoax, or maybe something wrong with the wood. Maybe you should replace it."

Smiling at the tense man Dunne replied. "Well the floor has been changed twice and each time the pool of blood reappears. I have taken a sample, as well as the experts. The blood is human and always the same DNA and type."

Vin’s curiosity was raised and he asked, "So why does this gambler haunt the Saloon?"

Dunne leaned back in his chair to rest his hands on his stomach. "Well, the legend has it that both Vin Tanner and Chris Larabee died on the same night, due to what people thought were accidents." The sheriff paused as both Vin and Chris’ faces drained of color. "Gentlemen is something wrong?"

Vin nervously licked his dry lips and asked, "Did your Vin Tanner fall from the hotel roof?"

The Sheriff sat up to look intently at the longhaired ATF agent. "Yes, but …"

But before the Sheriff could finishing ask his question Chris interrupted to ask. "Was the gunfighter killed by a horse?"

Intense brown eyes locked gazes with the team leader and said "Yes, but how did you know? Did someone tell you?"

Still not full understand what was happening to him and this two friends Vin answered. "I had took a nap and dreamt of being thrown from the roof … it wasn’t pleasant." Then the young man shuddered as if someone walked over his grave.

Shifting his eyes between the three men, the Sheriff continued to watch their body language and facial expressions. He could tell at the Texan’s confession about his dream that the other two men also had similar dream experiences. "Well Tanner did fall from the roof and Larabee was killed by a horse. The thing was that everyone thought it was they were just accidents, all except for the gambler. He told the other peacekeepers that he though the two men were murdered but no one believed him, thinking he wanted someone to blame for their deaths. According to legend, Standish found proof in his mother’s journal. Apparently Mrs. Standish didn’t want her boy to waste his talents as a peacekeeper in a small town so she hired two men to kill Tanner and Larabee. Standish showed the journal to my great-grandfather and they set up a sting. The gambler took the book and hid it someplace so that his mother couldn’t find it. When he tried to get her to confess to killing both men she denied it, but when he told her he had her journal his mother pulled a gun. They fought and she shot and killed her only child. My great-grandfather was too late to save his friend and Mrs. Standish was hanged for her son’s murder. But, she was never convicted in the deaths of the other two men. It’s said that her son can’t rest until the proof is uncovered and everyone knows that she was indeed responsible for Larabee and Tanner’s deaths."

Chris ran his hands though his hair, thinking over everything that the Sheriff had told them. He didn’t blame the town’s people for their reaction. Here they came to town, the spitting image of three men that had a profound effect on this town’s past. Now Dunne revealed two possible murders, with missing evidence, plus that damn dream that showed him that it was indeed murder.

The sheriff leaned back watching the three men, telling them "There have been reports of the two murder men appearing once in a while near where they were found. I can’t say if it’s true or not, but I though you might be interested."

---------------------------------------------

The three men silently made their way back to the hotel after eating a surprisingly good steak dinner and finding out more about the town’s murdered heroes. Each man lost in his own thoughts and feelings, trying to come to terms with what they had been told and seen. The Sheriff brought out a picture of the seven men and the resemblance to themselves and their other team members was astonishing. As they made their way up the stairs to their respective rooms, each of the men called good night to the other two and closed their door.

None of the three friends though they would be able to sleep, but surprisingly they each fell into a deep sleep. None of them knew what was in store for them in the early hours of the morning.

---------------------------------------------

July 24, 2002

EZRA POV

Something awoke me from my dreamless sleep, calling to me, demanding that I follow it. I could not deny that call and quickly dressed, leaving my room not bothering to close it. I was pulled down the hall to a closed door. As I reached out to open it I was startled to find it opening of it’s own accord. I jerked back and thought about getting Vin and Chris, but that thought faded from my mind as that something kept called to me, pulling me up the stairs, through a glowing fog to the roof. I should have been frightened, instead I was calm as if this was a dream in which nothing could hurt me.

As I reached the top I stepped out onto the roof of the hotel, looking up into the star filled sky. At first I though I was alone, then I felt a presence and a voice filled with desire greeted me. "God Ez, you are so beautiful."

I felt a shiver of desire run like electricity thorough my body as I recognized the voice. "Vin what are you doing up here?"

As the form moved closer I saw it was Vin, but not my Vin, for he was glowing and transparent. I was frozen to the spot, unable to move as the ghost walked towards me, love shining from his eyes. "I’ve waited such a long time for you Ez." He stopped to cup my cheek and rub his thumb over my cheekbone in a soft caress. "My beautiful green-eyes." Then, wrapping one arm around my waist he brought me up against his body, holding me close. I opened my mouth to tell him that I am not his Ez but he kissed me before I could. He swept into my mouth like a force of nature that could not be stopped. His tongue caressed and tasted every part of my mouth and I groaned in pleasure. It never crossed my mind to fight him off, instead I accepted and responded to the kiss pulling this ghost closer to me.

---------------------------------------------

VIN POV

Something woke me and I knew that Ezra was in danger. Quickly dressing I open the door to see Chris in the hall, with a single glance I could tell he felt the same thing I did. Then we noticed the door at the end of the hall was open and a strange glowing fog that shrouded the stairs.

Quickly we made our way down the hall and up the stairs, too afraid for Ezra to be afraid for ourselves. As we reached the rooftop I scanned the area looking for him and froze in shock. I must have made some sound for Chris came to my side. I could not move or look away, Ezra was locked in a passionate embrace with … myself.

I don't know how to describe seeing myself kissing one of my best friends. It was erotic, confusing, and to be honest, jealousy twisted and turned in my gut. Jealousy quickly won over the other emotions and I started forward to yank the southerner out of his arms, Ezra was ours not his.

---------------------------------------------


CHRIS POV

At Vin’s gasp I turned to where he was looking and saw Ezra in the arms of a man that was Vin’s twin. The man ... ghost ... had molded the southerner’s body down his long length, one hand between Ezra’s shoulder blades holding him still, while the other cupped one of undercover agent’s ass cheeks, lifting the smaller man to bring their groins together.

I felt myself responding, watching as the two men kissed, but also I felt anger that this thing was taking what belonged to my Vin and me. I heard Vin growl in anger and when he stepped toward the pair I was right at his side.

Suddenly the ghost was gone and Ezra stood alone his beautiful face lit with happiness, making me all the more jealous because it was that thing evoking the southerner’s response and not Vin or me. Then it was like someone cut a string and Ezra collapsed.

Rushing to his side I reached out to touch Ez, afraid that the ghost had killed him only to find him freezing. Here it was eighty degrees outside and Ezra was freezing to death. His skin was colorless, body shivering with cold, while his lips had turned a gray blue color.

Vin picked up Ezra’s hands to try to rub some warmth back into them but it wasn't enough. "Vin, we need to get him back into bed. Help me." I looped one of Ezra’s cold arms around my neck and wrapped my other arm around his waist while Vin copied me on the other side. Awkwardly we made our way down the stairs, Vin going first and I bringing up the rear. Ezra was still unconscious and was a dead weight in our arms.

Under a minute later we had Ezra tucked under the blankets but he was still too cold and hadn’t regained consciousness. Both Vin and I rubbed his freezing limbs trying to warm him up, it wasn’t working and I my level of concern was rising quickly. "Vin we have to get him warm or he will go into shock. Go start the shower, put the hot water on, then help me get him into the shower."

As Vin went into the bathroom to start the shower, I started to undress Ezra. The t-shirt, shoes, and socks were easy to remove but I needed Vin to hold Ezra up so that I could remove his jeans and underwear.

"OK Pard’ the shower’s ready. Let me help you with Ez." Vin lifted the southerner up and I quickly striped him of the jeans. Once he was nude I couldn’t help but look … truly look at him. My dream didn’t do him justice and under different circumstances I would take my time but Ezra needed us to help him. I quickly stripped to my underwear and we made our way into the bathroom.

Leaving Vin to hold Ezra I closed the drain so the tub would fill and I stepped into the hot shower. I leaned out and took the southerner’s upper body into my arms, while Vin lifted his legs into the tub. Shifting the southerner around so that he was bombard with the hot spray, I held him trying to get him to wake up but he remained unconscious. Rubbing his body with one hand to stimulate blood circulation seemed to help, because Ezra stopped shivering and regained some color.

When the water reached my the top of my calves I had Vin shut off the shower and lowered Ezra into the deep water, letting him soak as I stepped out and dried off. The texan was kneeling by the southerner watching, him carefully and trying to wake him. When he failed he got up, worry plain in both his eyes and voice. "Cowboy, I don’t like it. He should of come around by now."

Running my hands through my hair I tried to find some form of release for my own worry. "Ok Vin. Could you get some towels from my room, we’re going to take him to the hospital."

Nodding his agreement Vin left to get the towels. I made sure that Ezra wasn’t going to slip under the water before I quickly went to the other room to gather my clothes and return to the bathroom. I stripped off my soaked boxers and quickly dressed, keeping an eye on Ezra.

---------------------------------------------

VIN POV

I return to Ez’s room with the extra towels and noticed that Chris had gotten dressed. He reached down and lifted our friend from the tub and I wrapped a towel around Ezra to keep him warm as we tried to figure out how to get him dry.

Growing frustrated, Chris swept Ezra up into his arms and brought him back to the bed. I followed with the remaining towels. Chris started to dry off the southerner’s arms, chest and back, while I took care of his legs. As I continued up his legs, I couldn’t help looking towards Ezra’s manhood as it lay lax in a bed of amber curls. My mouth was suddenly dry as I wondered what it would feel like, but before I could find out the southerner gave a small moan. Both of us knew how embarrassed Ez would be at waking to find himself naked and us drying him off. Chris simply tucked the southerner under the covers and I took the towels back into the bathroom to let out the water. Returning to the bedroom I saw that Ezra had just awoke.

Walking over to the side of the bed, I looked down into a beautiful, confused pair of green-eyes. "Hey Pard’, how are you feeling?"

Blinking up at me he asked, "Vin, Chris. What happen? The last thing I remember …" Ezra’s eyes widened and he sat up in bed, shock evident in his face and voice. "The ghost … he was on the roof … we …" His eyes shifted from my face to Chris’ and back to mine looking into my eyes.

Taking pity on my friend, I told him "Chris and I saw Pard’."

Seeing the shame flash across his face, I was about to tell him it was nothing when Chris took over. Sitting down beside the southerner, Chris took his hand and told him, "Ezra it doesn’t matter to us. We’re just worried that he might have done something to you. You’ve been unconscious for almost a half hour and you almost froze to death."

Ez was about to answer when something seemed to touch me and by the look of the other two they felt the same thing. The temperature in the room dropped suddenly to freezing, which started the southerner to shivering again. All of us started to look around the room knowing something wasn’t right. Then in the far corner of the room a figure started to materialize. It was the ghost, the same one that assaulted Ez on the roof.

I placed myself between it and the two men on the bed, determined that it wasn’t coming near either of the men that I finally acknowledged I was falling for. When it was solid enough to see it’s face I relaxed for I could tell it was upset at what it had done. Ignoring the other two men he looked at me. "I’m sorry … he just look so much like my Ez … when I saw him it was like he was there … it’s just been so long."

My heart ached for this being, at the pain and sorrow that rolled off him in waves. "As long as you don’t do it again all’s forgiven."

I could tell what he wanted ask us for something but it was hard on him. "It won’t happen again … but I … we need your help. Please help us. I know I have no right to ask this of ya but please, we need your help."

The pleading touched me and as I looked over my shoulder at Chris and Ezra, I could tell that they want to help as well. To see a being trapped, unable to move on, separated for well over a century from someone he loves. What else could we do but help?

Looking back at the ghost I asked him. "How can we help you and the gambler?"

A shy smile crossed his face. "Actual there’s three of us. Chris, Ezra and myself."

I blinked at the other Vin and asked, "Three of you, but … why didn’t anyone tell us that you were … ummmm…"

"Lovers" supplied the ghost, his smile growing at my discomfort.

"Yeah" I could tell that I was blushing and didn’t dare look at Chris or Ezra.

The ghost Vin shrugged his shoulders and told us. "Well we reckon it was no ones business but ours, plus if anyone found out, we could have been run out of town, beaten, even lynched. The west was hard and ya just couldn’t tell anyone about it. That’s just how things were."

"Oh." I paused, not knowing what to say to that, so I returned to my previous question. "How can we help the three of you?"

His expression became very serious. "Ya need to find where Ezra hid his mother’s journal, to prove that she did murder us. Only then can we move on, but ya might run into a problem."

I didn’t like the sound of that. "What kind of problem?"

Biting his lip, he looked at the three of us before telling me, "Well there is a force that might try to stop you. It doesn’t want the journal found because it would cease to exist and it doesn’t what that. Chris and I think maybe … maybe it’s Maude’s desire that we be forever separated from our Ezra. If you can find someway to get to our southerner, he would be able to help ya, but that force will try to stop ya."

Great, not only do we have three ghosts that can’t rest, but also an evil force that doesn’t want to die so it will try to stop us. Just great. I was tempted to change my mind but I knew that I couldn’t. I couldn’t let anything suffer like these beings were.

I threw a quick check over my shoulder and I saw that Ezra and Chris were with me on this. Sighing I looked at the ghost and told him. "All right we’ll help you."

---------------------------------------------

EZRA POV

I was still in a daze as the ghost made it’s plea for our help. I knew we had to help them, but my mind was also dwelling on the fact that I allowed a man … ghost … a male ghost to kiss me and I liked it.

I liked it a lot.

Plus, I was aware that I was naked under the sheet and that Chris had tucked me in against him possessively, making it clear to the ghost not to come any closer.

It doesn’t seem to bother them that I was kissing a man. They aren’t treating me any differently and they were plainly worried about me. I knew that they were my best friends, but it touched me deeper than ever before knowing how they cared about me.

With everything that happened during the day, I couldn’t keep awake and being held so securely I felt myself falling asleep.

---------------------------------------------

When the ghost had faded leaving the three men alone, Vin turned to look at his two companions only to notice Ezra was sound asleep, head resting on Chris’ lap, one of Chris’ arms holding the man protectively close.

Smiling, Vin sat down gingerly so that he wouldn't wake the southerner. "He looks much better. Poor guy, he's not having a good day."

Chris looked down, smiling at his sleeping undercover agent and gently petting his hair and enjoying the soft silk feel of it under his hand. "No he hasn't, but I don't want to leave him alone tonight. I don't like the sound of that force thing ... or whatever it is that's hanging around. It might try to hurt any of us so no one is to be alone until we leave here. Agreed?"

Stretching his back, Vin told Chris. "Sure Cowboy. So who takes first watch?"

Gently Chris lifted Ezra's head from his lap and placed the sleeping man back onto his pillow. "I will. There is plenty of room for you on the bed Vin, so get comfortable. I’ll wake you in a couple of hours."

Vin removed his boots and lay down beside the undercover agent, falling asleep quickly. Chris sat in the only chair and watched his men sleeping. His mind wandering over the events of today, but his thoughts kept being interrupted, as his eyes rested on the two men in the bed. Vin was lying on his back while Ezra had rolled over to rest his head on Vin's shoulder, an arm wrapped around the sharpshooter's middle. With both of their faces relaxed in sleep the two men looked younger than JD.

Vin's cheek rested against Ezra's forehead and his hand was resting on the southerner’s naked side. The covers had slid to expose the top of Ezra's butt to the blond’s curious gaze, the southerner then put one leg over Vin's, which resulted in the cover riding up and over, tantalizingly exposing the undercover agent’s charms to the team leader’s gaze.

Larabee ran his eyes slowly from the southerner’s face down the long slender neck and well muscled back to a slender waist and hips. Chris closed his eyes to prevent himself from ogling one of his men, but the desire to see more was just too great. He opened his eyes to stare at the perfect, naked globes that his hands just itched to touch. His eyes then followed the curve of Ezra’s ass to where his shaft laid in the shadows of the sheet, defeating the blond’s hungry gaze. Feeling his blood rushing southward and his jeans growing way to small for him to sit comfortably, Chris closed his eyes once more, trying to get himself under control. It was working until he remembered the feel of this man in his arms.

How the skin felt so soft, like a baby’s, but the feel of strength and power lying relaxed under that skin was intoxicating. Then there was how Ezra’s body just seemed to mold itself to his, fitting perfectly. Larabee could swear he still felt the weight of Ezra’s body in his arms, could smell the spicy scent of the man, and Chris quietly groaned in frustration.

The blond once again opened his eyes to view the scene before him, this time his eyes were drawn to his best friend who was sleeping so peacefully. He had seen Vin asleep before, but he never really looked at him while he slept. With the texan’s face relaxed he looked younger, innocent, but with the strength that was all Vin. Allowing his gaze to slide over the familiar features that he knew like his own, he paused to really observe what he was seeing. The high forehead spoke of intelligence; the high cheekbones and flat planes gave him a masculine beauty that blazed forth now that Chris stopped to look. The long slender nose lead to sensual lips that he had seen smile in merriment and become thin in rage, now they called to him to see if they were as soft to kiss.

Dragging his eyes from Vin’s mouth, he took in the strong jaw and long slender neck before it disappeared into the top of the T-Shirt. The t-shirt nicely outlined the wide shoulders and muscular chest but was thin and tight enough to see the outline of Vin’s nipples. Ezra’s hand was resting on the texan’s bare, flat stomach where the t-shirt had ridden up, exposing the tempting flesh. Larabee’s hungry gaze continued down to the sharpshooter’s sinfully tight jeans that molding themselves to display Vin’s groin and long legs making Chris wonder what it would be like to have the texan’s legs wrapped tightly around him as they made slow passionate love.

Chris shook his head trying to shake that image from his mind and the others that quickly replaced it. Getting up quietly, he went into the bathroom to prevent himself from doing something that he would regret. Running the cold water in the sink he bathed his face try to bring himself back under control. Taking a deep control breath he stood up and froze looking at the man in the mirror.

He really didn’t know what was coming over him. Why was he suddenly lust after his two best friends? It wasn’t like he was a horny teenager, he was a grown man able to control is instincts. Those same instincts told him to go into the bedroom and take those two tempting creatures in his arms and make love to them.

He had to hold himself in check and not give in to these feeling. Chris didn’t want to chance ruining the trust and friendship he had with the two men, just to scratch an itch for one moment of pleasure.

Could it be something to do with this town?

Could something be influencing him, fanning the flames of want and desire within him?

---------------------------------------------

The first thing Vin noticed when Chris woke him at four was that he had wrapped himself around Ezra. The southerner was still sleeping soundly, buried under the blankets so only the top of his head could be seen. Gently Vin extracted himself from his sleeping companion, getting off the bed to allow Chris his time to sleep.

Vin sat down in the same chair that Chris had done his watch in and observed his friend holding himself stiffly, lying as far from the curled up southerner as he could get. Vin just watched the odd behavior and hoped that the blond would get some sleep.

The texan got comfortable and picked up the local newspaper and started to read. About an hour later he looked up and Chris was now occupying the same position that he had been in when he awoke. The blond had his arm around Ezra, his hand on the southerner’s bare stomach, holding him tightly against his body and resting his cheek on the other man’s head.

Smiling at the protective nature of his friend, especially where Ezra was concerned, Vin had to admit to himself he was just as protective. The undercover agent’s job was one of the most dangerous and stressful of them all. If anything went wrong Ezra would be the first to be harmed, the first to die, but not if Chris, the team or himself could prevent it.

He was about to pick up one of the magazines to read when a movement from the bed caught his attention. The southerner had tried to roll over on his back, which caused Chris to do so. Ezra then wiggled around until he was resting his head over the blond’s heart and his hand on Larabee’s hip. Chris wrapped his arm around the southerner holding him against his chest. The scene was both protective and sensual the way that the two men were wrapped around one another.

Another scene just a few hours ago flashed through his mind bringing images of wet, naked skin and bodies pressing against one another. Vin hadn’t taken the time to look at Ezra while they were trying to warm him up, being too concerned for his friend, but now it was coming back. The wide shoulders, smooth muscular chest, the flat stomach, the flaccid shaft nesting in auburn curls, and well defined legs, all over tan skin the color of bronze.

Then the way Chris held Ezra, it was like a lover’s hold. The southerner’s head rested in the junction between the blond’s neck and shoulder, with Chris’ hand running up and down exposed skin. The sharpshooter knew that Chris was just trying to warm the southern but it was still a powerful and sensual image.

Trying to stop the erotic images that kept flashing in his mind, Vin got up to look out the window at the quiet dawn. Trying to get his mind away from what he was thinking.

How could he think of his two friends … brothers like that? Why was he thinking about making love to his two friends, lusting after them like some horny kid? These same two men were close friends, brothers-in-arm who had saved his life more times than he could count and now he wanted to throw everything away by wanting them like this.

What was happening to him?

Could it be the ghosts, could they be making him feel like this?

---------------------------------------------

The two ghosts stood quietly in the corner, watching the three men in the room.

The shade of gunslinger had his arm around his ghost lover. "Vin, do you think they can help us?"

The blue-eyed shade looked up at his lover. "I think they are our only and best chance, but we’ve got to help them. They can’t do it all themselves."

"Then I should go and tell Lorna Wells about them. She should break through to Ezra with their help." The ghost of the gunslinger gently kissed his lover good-bye before disappearing.

The tracker continued to watch the three men and a sly smile came over his face as he watched his living self look hungrily over at the two men on the bed. Maybe there is something they could do to reward the three men after all.

---------------------------------------------

EZRA POV

The first thing I noticed upon waking was the steady solid heartbeat under my ear. The next thing I realized was the strong arms, holding me against a very male chest. On one hand I wanted to bolt from this embrace and on the other I wanted to snuggle against the body that held me safe, but I did neither. Instead I just lay there waiting to see what would happen.

Then I felt a presence near the bed, and a texan drawl said, "Come on Cowboy, time to wake up."

I WAS SLEEPING ON MR. LARABEE!

I felt Chris stir and I decided to fake that I was still sound asleep. Chris very gently laid me back onto my pillow and tucked the sheet up under my chin, as he would do for a child.

Then I felt him place his palm on my forehead checking for a fever before gently brush the hair from my forehead. "No fever, so he should be alright. Just let him sleep a little more. Any sign of trouble?"

Trouble?

What trouble?

That's why they stayed, to protect me from something.

"I didn't see anything, but I felt someone watching over us. I think it was that ghost. I guess he felt responsible and stood watch with me." That was Vin's voice.

Interesting.

"Chris, I don't like that dark force the ghost mentioned. I have a bad feeling something is going to happen because of it." The worry in Vin's voice made me uneasy as well. Anytime the wily texan has a hunch it usually means trouble was on the way. On top of Vin's hunch my own instincts was telling me that we should get out of town as fast as possible, but we made a promise to help and I would hate to break it.

"Same with me Vin, but if we stick together we should be alright, I have a feeling the ghosts will try to help as much as possible."

Well that clinched it, the three of us with the same bad feelings. Something is going to happen, I better prepare myself for anything and to keep my two friends safe.

---------------------------------------------

All three men made their way down stairs and started to walk to the little restaurant across the street. This time they dressed trying to conceal as much of themselves as possible, which met baseball caps and sunglasses.

Larabee felt ridiculous, trying to sneak out of the hotel without being recognized like he was some movie star or something. As Chris passed the check in desk the man from yesterday called out to him hesitantly. "Mr. Larabee, there is a note for you." Chris accepted the folded paper held out by the manager and opened it. Inside was a message for the three of them. A Lorna Wells requested to see them at 10:30 a.m. to discuss their role in helping the ghosts and left instructions on how to get to her place.

He then passed the note onto Vin, who passed it to Ezra. Looking at his watch, Chris saw it was almost ten o'clock. The three men decided to stop on the way to Ms. Wells place to pick up some breakfast.

It was a beautiful morning and the three enjoyed the short walk. Ezra looked at the neat little house with the luscious rose garden in front and started to explore the little paradise.

Then a pleasant voice asked him, "Do you like roses Mr. Standish?"

Turning the three men encountered a small woman in a large hat carrying roses and smiling in a grandmotherly sort of way. All three of them removed their hats and glass to greet this diminutive woman.

Ezra went over to take the basket from her and offer his arm to escort her into the house. "Yes ma'am. My favorite aunt had a rose garden like yours. It brings back very fond memories."

Slipping her arm into Ezra's, Lorna gave him a gracious smile. "Well gentlemen please let's us make ourselves comfortable."

Once in side she ushered them into the parlor and brought out tea and coffee for her guests. Taking a seat she looked over at the three men who bore a remarkable resemblance to the three ghosts, but unlike the town folk she could see the slight differences between the living and dead.

Sitting a little straighter in her chair she looked at each man and told them, "Gentlemen, I was contacted by one of the ghosts last night and it told me of your offer to help them. I have to thank you for your help. I have seen them suffer for 75 years and to finally be so close to freeing them ... it just feels good. Thank you gentlemen." Putting down her tea she then became all business. "All right gentlemen lets get down to work. Mr. Standish why don't you bring you chair closer because I think you could be the one to break through the barrier and reached your ghostly counterpart."

Ezra picked up his chair and brought it closer to her. Once seated he turned a puzzled look her way and asked, "Ms. Wells, how am I suppose to reach him?"

Taking Ezra's hands in hers she told him, "I'm going to put you into a trance and hopefully you be able to make contact. Now I just want you to relax and listen to my voice."

Ezra was skeptical but the experiences in this town had opened his eyes to possibilities he never imagined. Doing as Ms. Wells told him, he felt himself floating free only to encounter a black shadow that radiated hate and vengeance. Ezra took a step back but heard Ms. Wells calling encouragement and he pushed through it and come face to face ... with himself. As he looked at himself he saw his counterparts eye’s widen, then he was tackled and fell back through the shadow into himself, but he wasn't alone. Somehow he’d brought the ghost with him.

Chris and Vin had both got up and knelt on either side of their friend, watching Ezra’s face trying to understand what was happening. They were both startled when Ezra opened his eyes and looked at them, there was something different about him.

The ghost of the gambler looked out of his living counterpart's eyes and saw his two lovers kneeling beside him. Reaching out he cupped those beloved faces that he had been prevented from seeing for 125 years. Sitting up he captured Chris’ mouth with his and savored the man. The living Ezra was shocked and tried to wrestle control away from the ghost, who promptly reeled him in to feel and experience the kiss first hand.

To say Chris was shocked would be an understatement, but he found himself responding to that passionate kiss, green eyes looking into sparkling emerald. Pulling back Ezra gently rubbed a thumb on the blond’s high cheekbone. Voice husky with love and longing, he said, "Chris, it’s been so long, ah missed you." He then turned to Vin and continued, his southern accent very prevalent. "Blue-eyes" Ezra whispered, before kissing him.

Vin’s couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw Ezra kissing Chris, but when the blond started to respond he found himself turned on by the display as images from his dream came to life before him. When the southerner turned to him he found that he wanted that kiss. He wanted to know what it was like to kiss this man, but Vin wasn’t prepared for a kiss filled with desire and love, finding himself responding just as passionately. When Ez pulled way at the sound of someone clearing their throat, Vin found himself moaning in disappointment.

All three men turned to a very stern looking Ms. Wells who was looking pointedly at the southerner. "Ezra, you weren’t supposed to possess Mr. Standish, you were only to tell him where the journals were."

Vin and Chris looked stunned as it dawned on them that it wasn’t their Ezra that had kissed them, but the ghost of the gambler. The ghost smiled charmingly at Ms. Wells and told her. "Ah can assure you my dear woman that it was totally unintentional. Mother was about to hurt this young man and A’am could not stand to see it happen. Somehow he pulled me back with him. So here A’am."

Then he turned to look searchingly at the two men beside him. They look remarkably like his Vin and Chris, but as he looked he could see little differences. These men weren’t his lovers, but he could tell that this living Ezra was very much attracted to them. From their reactions to the kiss they returned the feelings. Gently accessing the memories of the man who’s body he was in, he could see the attraction had always been there, but none of them had acted on that attraction or even acknowledged it until just recently. Maybe he could speed things along.

The living Ezra had felt the ghost accessing his memories and he didn’t have to guess at what the ghost was planning to do. Not knowing if this would work, he imagined wrapping his arms and legs around the ghost stopping him from doing anything. The only sign this internal wrestling match was going on was Ezra’s eyes rolling upwards and him collapsing into the sharpshooter’s arms.

Larabee shoved the chair aside to get to his unconscious friend, while Vin cradled Ezra’s upper body in his arms, panicky blue eyes seeking assurance from his leader. Chris helped roll the southerner unto his back, cradling the man between the two of them. Gently the blond turned the southerner’s pale face towards him and tapped it trying to wake him. "Ezra … come on Ez … wake up. Your scare us … baby … come on wake up."

Both men were so worried about their friend that they didn’t notice the room’s temperature dropping, as two other men appeared to kneel beside them.

---------------------------------------------

The ghost stopped struggling in the mental hold of the undercover agent. He could feel the panic that radiated off the other man and lay quietly until the other relaxed.

He could understand why the other panicked and reached out to gently caress the arms that held him, trying to give comfort and to calm the mortal down.

Ezra felt the ghost surrender and slowly released his death grip on the spirit. He looked pleadingly at the dead gambler and asked, "Please don’t tell them? I don’t want to lose them as friends. I have a family and friends that would die for me. If I told them I would lose everything and be alone again. I don’t want that."

The gambler looked at the man that he was sharing this body with. He was astonished at the resemblance between them, he could tell that this man had the same fear of losing those he held dear as he did. Holding out his hand the ghost told the living man, "Ah promised Sir, not to do anything to harm you. Friends?"

The undercover agent reached out his own hand and replied, "Friends."

---------------------------------------------

Vin and Chris watched as Ezra’s eyelashes fluttered against his cheeks as he was coming to. They cradled him more securely between them, gently stroking his face and talking to him.

Confused green eyes looked up at them, but those eyes belonged to their undercover agent and not that of the long dead gambler. Strong arms supported him as he sat up, giving him strength while he looked into the concerned eyes of his two friends.

A movement behind the two men had Ezra looking up into the concern faces of … two ghosts. Vin and Chris saw the southerner’s eyes widen as he look over their shoulders and as they turned they used their bodies to shield Ezra from harm.

Chris looked into a face that was a mirror image of his own. The ghost of the gunslinger squatted give his living counterpart a once over. Neither male giving an inch to the other until a raspy Texan voice told them, "Pards you might want to turn down the glares, you just might set something on fire."

The two alpha males looked a little sheepishly at each other, then the gunslinger asked, "Is he alright?"

Chris looked down at the pale face of his undercover agent, gently stroking one cheek. "How are you feeling Ezra?"

Without knowing it, Ezra snuggled into the other two embrace, prompting Larabee and Tanner to hold him tighter. "Just tired Chris."

Vin gently told the tired man, "Go to sleep Ezra."

The green eyes closed without argument, then they suddenly opened and the four men knew this was not the undercover agent’s soul looking out at them. The ghost of the gambler moved the mortal body he was in away from the two live men, concentrating on the ghosts before him. Three pair of eyes filled with eternal love looked at each other, they reached out towards one another, stopping just shy of touching.

The husky voice of the tracker whispered, "Green-eyes." While the ghost of the gunslinger whispered, "Baby."

From the undercover agents mouth came that sexy, heavily accent voice, "My Blue-eyes, my Dark Angel."

The team leader and sharpshooter looked on in wonderment at the gentle love expressed between the three men. The longing in three ghosts' voices and eyes, the way they reached for one another, brought tears to both living men's eyes at the pain these poor souls had suffered. Both Chris and Vin watched with envy, secretly wishing that their friend’s hand was reaching out to them instead.

The clearing of a female throat had the men and ghosts turning towards Lorna. "Gentlemen, I hate to interrupt, but Ezra you have allow Mr. Standish and yourself to rest. This has been very tiring for your both." In her eyes the ghosts saw understanding and hope that their 125 years of hell would come to an end. That the three of them could be together for the rest of eternity.

The three old west men nodded their heads in agreement, as the green-eyes of the undercover agent closed and his body slumped, only to be caught by the ATF agents. Both the ghosts and the living men hovered over the unconscious agent until Ms. Wells voice broke through. "Mr. Larabee, Mr. Tanner, we should get Mr. Standish comfortable. If you could pick him up and follow me?"

Chris and Vin lifted the exhausted man so that Larabee could carry him into the bedroom that Lorna directed him too. The blond gently settled his friend on the bed, removing the southerner’s boots before covering him with a quilt. He then exited the room, closing the door so that their voices wouldn’t wake him.

Returning to the living room he was met by the others. Plans and decisions were made so that the three ghosts could finally be free of their prisons.

---------------------------------------------

The coiled darkness twisted in madness, frustration and anger for it’s beloved had somehow escaped the protection it had created for him. Escaped with the help of the other.

The other that looked so much like the beloved.

The darkness remembered freezing as the large green-eyes so much like the beloved’s turned towards it. How much he looked and felt like the beloved.

The darkness though about how sad the beloved had been through the years. Could this other bring happiness to the beloved?

The madness had seen the other beloved and those that the darkness though it had conquered so long ago. This time the darkness vowed that the twisted ones would be destroyed body and soul, never to return so that the beloved and the other would be it’s.

---------------------------------------------

Four spirits that had been silent for a century, unable to help stop their friends suffering, saw what the darkness had planed. This time they will be there to protect their friends, to prevent the same tragedy from being repeated.

---------------------------------------------

Lorna Wells and the three ATF agents approached Sheriff Dunne about the three men to searching the Gambler’s room for the fabled journals. He wasn’t sure about allowing them to do so until Lorna closed the blinds and the two long dead lawmen requested that they be allow to do so.

After the sheriff recovered from the shock he was more than willing to help, he too had seen the three ghosts suffering and wanted to do something. He then escorted them over to the saloon to help them in their search, but as soon as they entered everything went wrong.

---------------------------------------------

There were few customers in the saloon at 3:12pm, as the four men and one woman entered. All present knew Sheriff Dunne and Ms. Wells but the three men behind the two long-term residences caused a stir. They watched as the group moved towards the staircase, but as they approached it a black cloud started to roll down the stairs towards them.

Dunne didn't like what he saw, but when he felt the madness and evil radiating from its core he knew that he had to get the civilians to safety. He grabbed Ms. Well's arm to push her out of the saloon as he shouted at the other patrons "GET OUT! NOW!" Dunne and the three ATF agents stayed by the door to help the civilians exit the building, but as they were about to leave the darkness struck. It threw the three agents to the other side of the room while it shoved the Sheriff out the door. As soon as Dunne was outside the building, all the doors and windows vanished, covered in black oozing goo reeking of death, madness and decay. Flashes of blue light danced along the liquid making people flee from it. To Dunne it looked like the blue lightening was attacking the blackness, preventing it from leaving the building.

Chris, Vin and Ezra fought a choking sensation as the black fog tightened a coil of itself around each of their necks, cutting off their air supply. Suddenly the two ghost of the tracker and gunslinger appeared shooting rays of light into the darkness, driving it from the mortals lying on the floor.

The blackness retreated from the fury of the two long dead lawmen, but not before it made a last ditch effort. It reached out and captured the undercover agent’s legs and started to pull him toward itself. Ezra reached frantic hands towards his two friends trying to stop himself from being dragged across the floor. Chris and Vin both dove to capture their friend's hands but they couldn’t stop him from being pulled towards the darkness.

Ezra knew that his friends … no his beloveds … couldn’t stop his slide towards death and he couldn’t allow them to sacrifice themselves. He had to prevent that at all cost.

Chris and Vin both saw the decision shining from their friend’s eyes and the blond snarled in desperation. "Don’t … you dare … leave us Ezra!" as he strained with his whole body to pull the southerner back, but instead slide forward another inch.

Vin was just as frantic as Chris and growled out from clenched teeth, "We’re not … going ... to ... let ... you … go, Ez. You’re going … to stay with us."

Green-eyes flashed in rage and fear as Larabee ground out, "Damn right … we’re not letting … you go … not for anything…"

Knowing he had only a few more seconds to live Ezra looked into their eyes opening all windows to his soul and heart. Letting them see what he felt for them and whispered, "I love … you both … I … live … remember me." The southerner then yanked his hands from their grips.

Heart-breaking cries of "No!" vibrated through the room as the southerner was swallowed up by the darkness. But as both Tanner and Larabee made a dive towards the darkness, two pairs of strong hands stopped them. The two men could only watch helplessly as the darkness retreated into the woodwork leaving no trace of the undercover agent or itself behind.

Both men laid on the floor where they had last touched Ezra, both men lost in anger and grief. Chris turned to those who prevented him from rescuing his friend, brother, and secret love to snarl, "Why did --". He froze as he looked up into his long-time best friend’s face, but realized that was not the case. For it was not his Buck, but the dead lawman that protected this town so long ago.

Looking to the right he saw that the ghost of Dunne was the one to prevent Vin from going after Ezra, while the ghost Josiah held the long-dead gunslinger, and Jackson the tracker. Shaking off the transparent hands of the dead lawman Chris sat up to crawl towards his Vin.

Defeat showing in the lowered head as he wrapped his arms around the other man. The two grieving men clung to each other as they came to terms with their loss.

---------------------------------------------

With a gasp Ezra sat up as he woke to find himself in total darkness. Not one speck of light could be seen, but he could tell by the feel under his hands that he rested on hard packed dirt.

The air was heavy with the feeling of dampness that clung to his skin, making him chilled and telling him that he was underground. Then it dawned on him that the presence of the gambler's ghost was gone from his mind. Wetting his lips he whispered, "Mr. Standish ... Ezra ... are you ... are you there?"

A dim light grew as the ghost started to form in front of him. For the first time he came face to face with his ghostly counterpart in the real world. Both men took this time to look at each other, to note the differences but also to draw strength from each other.

The ATF agent looked around the darkness, asking the ghost. "Do you know where we are?"

The ghost squatted beside the agent, shaking his head as he also scanned the darkness. "No. Something is preventing me from leaving here."

Sighing, the uncover agent stood and brushed off his hands and the seat of his pants. "Well let's try to find out where we are."

The ghost and man moved together with the glow from the long dead gambler providing some light as they began their search. The first thing they noticed was that the ceiling and the first wall showed dirt between the wooden support beams. This confirmed the undercover agent's suspicion, they were trapped underground. Following the wall he came across a little desk, chair and a lantern. Finding matches in a drawer, the ATF agent lit the lantern and sighed as soft golden light lit up the small room. He then turned as he heard a shocked exclamation from the gambler. "Oh Lord!"

The ATF agent totally understood the shock that the ghost was experiencing. On one wall of the cellar room were pictures and portraits of the gambler, filling the space. Some were old photographs but the majority were sketches, the paper old and yellow with stains. The undercover agent moved closer to look at the display when the photograph of seven men caught his eye. It was the same one that Sheriff Dunne showed them with the images of the gunslinger and tracker defaced. A chill went down the agent's spine for this seemed to be the classic case of obsession.

Moving back to the desk, the agent started to search it for the identity of the person responsible for this room. Knowing deep in his heart if he could find out who it was, it would also tell him about the being that had kidnapped them. The ghost just stared at the wall filled with his image with the dawning suspicion that he might have been wrong about his mother. That she was not responsible for his lovers' deaths.

The undercover agent couldn't find anything in the desk and sat back to look at it. Something wasn't right about it, the top of the desk seemed too thick.

A secret compartment.

Running his sensitive fingers along the top, he found tiny groves to suggest the presence of a hidden space. Quickly he searched for the release, pressing it when he found it. Up popped the section he had identified, revealing a swallow indent containing three journals. Withdrawing the books, he found the first belonged to Ezra P. Standish, the second to Maude Standish, the third belonging to someone else. Taking the third journal, the ATF agent sat down to scan the pages for clues, while the ghost went over to the tattered remains of a curtain covering an alcove. Pushing it aside he peeked into the space beyond, crying out in shock at seeing a mummified corpse in tattered clothing lying on a bed.

The undercover agent quickly came to the side of the ghost and pushed aside the material to look at the corpse. Lifting the lantern higher the agent scanned the body, noticing that the clothes on the skeleton were the same as what the ghost was wearing. Wetting his lips he told the ghost, "Mr. Standish ... I think that this --"

" – it's me. Isn't it?"

The agent turned to face the ghost and nodded. The same being that had kidnapped him had also dug up the dead body of the gambler to bring it here. A shiver of fear entered the heart and soul of the undercover man. Knowing he had to find out who was responsible, he returned to the journal and continued his search.

---------------------------------------------

A woman's southern voice broke through the shouting of ghosts and men. "Gentlemen..."

The men turned to face the ghost of a woman dressed from the early 1900's. Maude Standish stood there before them glowing with a blue light. Waves of sorrow and pain rolled off the transparent figure. With a snarl of rage the gunslinger attacked the figure but fell to his knees as the blue light touched him. The ghost of the tracker pulled the dead gunslinger away from the ghostly woman, growling, "WHAT did you do to him?"

The ghost woman sorrowful eyes landed on him as she told him. "Nothing, this is my punishment. My punishment ... for killing my only child … and for my part in your deaths. Until the three of you are together I cannot rest."

The ghost of the preacher stepped forward, "Sister, do you speak the truth?"

"Yes." Was the quiet reply.

"If you were not the one behind this attack and the others, who is?" questioned Josiah.

"Mary Travis," was the soft response.

The two agents watched the reaction of the ghosts and saw their shocked expressions at the information revealed. Rising to their feet, both men walked to the ghost woman, determined to solve this case and rescue Ezra if he was alive. If not –

Addressing the ghost woman Agent Larabee asked, "Why don't you tell us what happened from the beginning?"

Maude looked at the man so closely resembled the gunslinger she knew and told him, "Mrs. Travis wrote to me telling me that Ezra was in trouble." Nodding to the ghosts of Tanner and Larabee she continued. "That you Mr. Larabee and you Mr. Tanner were causing my child physical harm. When I arrived she told me that both of you were forcing your unnatural desires on Ezra, making him into your personal whore. My revulsion and the attitude of the time blinded me to the fact that you loved each other and were not forcing him into anything. It was only when I was dead that the truth was revealed to me. Through my bigotry, my son and two good men died."

Determine to keep the ghost on track the ATF leader prompted, "Mrs. Travis?"

Maude turned back to Agent Larabee. "Mrs. Travis came up with the idea of revealing to the town folk Mr. Larabee and Mr. Tanner's perverse behavior. She asked me to slip a sleeping draught into their drinks. She would arrange for the two men to be found in bed with one another by her father-in-law, forcing both of them to leave town. I didn't know that she planned to have you both killed. It was only the next day that I found out what happened. I spoke with her but she told me I was just as guilty as she was and that she would claim that it was all my idea. She would see that I was hung, and that Ezra would hate me for the rest of his life." She then looked pleadingly at the others as she continued, "I couldn't do anything for who would believe me? A con woman and gambler against one the pillars of the community? Would you believe me?"

---------------------------------------------

"I think I found something." The ghost turned to lean over the human so he could read what the ATF agent found. "As I pointed out before, this is written by a woman, but until this point it only detailed the various gunfights and battles that you and the rest of the seven were in. Except now, hopefully you will know who this is."

Agent Standish leaned closer to the lantern and started to read.

"A couple of mornings ago, the body of an assassin had been found at the hotel along with $10,000. Everything pointed to the fact that the man was after the Governor.

With the battle for statehood heating up, many of citizens of Four Corners and the surrounding areas have argued, the debates sometimes ending in flying fists and bodies. So it would make sense that the assassin was after the Governor. To this end the seven guarded the Governor, but both Mr. Tanner and Mr. Larabee seemed to have their doubts about the intended target, so they had me dig into some unsolved murders that had been following the Governor’s trail. They were right, but it was Ezra Standish that stepped in front of a bullet for me. A man that I didn’t even give the time of day saved my life, willing to sacrifice his without a thought for his safety. Like a shining knight."

The undercover agent turned to the ghost of the gambler who frowned and said, "Mary Travis. What else does it say?"

The undercover agent started to skim, reading over entries that increasing talked about how wonderful, intelligent the gambler was. Then it changed to talk about a blooming romance between the gambler and Mary Travis that seem to increase in passion until it started to read like some steamy romance novel.

The nagging suspicion of the ATF agent that started with the pictures was slowly being confirmed by the increasingly shocked expression on the gambler’s face. This Mary Travis had somehow become obsessed with the southern lawman, building a fantasy life that had nothing to do with reality.

Then they hit pay dirt.

Apparently Mrs. Travis found out about the love affair between the three men. Instead of seeing as a consensual relationship, she saw it as Tanner and Larabee forcing their perverted desires on the man she loved.

She knew that she had to be careful for if she informed the town of the relationship between the three, her beloved would suffer with the two men she had come to hate. This left her with no legal options so she started to look at illegal side of things. There was only one option that would work, Tanner and Larabee had to die. But it had to look like an accident; the other lawmen would look for their friends’ murders. No it had to look like an accident.

To set her plan in motion she contacted the one person she knew would unwittingly help her with her plan. Maude Standish. She wrote to Maude informing her of the indecent relationship between her son and two other men.

While Mrs. Standish was on her way, Mary found two drifters willing to help her for $50.00 each. Everything was ready once Maude arrived. When the two women met, Mary told the other woman about the plan to humiliate the two men by drugging them and letting the town folk find them together in Tanner’s wagon. Maude believed her because she didn’t expect a woman of Mrs. Travis’ background to be pulling a fast one on her. So Maude accepted the knock out drug and followed through with her side of the plan, while Mary carried out her true objective. The death of Larabee and Tanner.

As the ATF agent read the gloating details about Larabee and Tanner’s funerals, he watched as the ghost sparkled in anger. First at this woman’s murderous glee in killing the two men that meant more to him than anyone else, that she killed two other men to hide her crime, and to top it off, making him think that his mother murdered his lovers. The hate he had in his heart for his mother evaporated, leaving regret and sorrow behind, along with the flame of rage that had been ignited against this woman.

The undercover agent read about Ezra’s death, and how she paid a drifter to dig up Southerner’s body. She then killed the man and put the body in the gambler’s grave.

As the undercover agent continued to read, splinters of horror and fear invaded his soul. Apparently Mrs. Travis had made a pack with evil, in return for her soul and the death of others, Ezra would be returned to her. From that point onwards, the woman never mentioned the gambler’s death, but listed men and woman who were passing through Four Corners. As the ATF agent went down the list of names and date of deaths he was shock to see that the list continued to the present day.

The agent put down the journal and turned towards the ghost of the gambler as the room seemed to morph into a grand bedroom. A large canopy bed rested against the right wall covered, in green flowing silk, while a large fire was burning in the fireplace across from it. He was still sitting, but instead of an old table it was at a beautiful oak desk. Looking down at himself he saw he was dressed in a red brocade dressing gown over a white silk nightshirt. Getting up he surveyed the room, noting the dinning table in front of the fire, the expense furniture and paintings that decorated the room with wonder and dread.

The presence of the gambler’s ghost in his mind made itself known when the large double doors open to admit a blonde woman in a white sheer nightgown. He didn’t need the gambler’s rage to know that this woman was responsible for the ghost’s pain and his own as well.

---------------------------------------------

The ATF leader listened to all the questions thrown at the ghost that was Maude Standish. But there was only one question he hoped she could answer, "Do you know if our Ezra is alive?"

Her sad but hopeful blue eyes met his. "I believe so. But I don’t know how much longer. She is totally insane and extremely powerful. Gentlemen, she isn’t a ghost like us but a Succubus."

The ghost of the preacher started to swear at this. As the others turned to him for an explanation, he told them "A succubus is a woman that has sold her soul to the darkest evil, usually for revenge on men for being scorned. But in this case I think she made the pact for another reason." The preacher looked back to the con woman for an explanation.

"You’re right Josiah, Mary did make a pact. She wanted Ezra to be returned to her. I believe she will recreate her favorite fantasy, and as long as both of our Ezra’s cooperate with her, the better their chances for us to rescue them." Then looking at each man, living and dead, she told them, "It will take all of us to break through the barrier to rescue them. Buck, Josiah, Nathan, and JD, once we open the doorway you four need to keep it open. If you don’t then we will fail. Chris, you and Vin must merge with your living counterparts to hide your presence from her. Your job will be to hold her until the trap has been sprung."

The gunslinger hadn’t forgiven or forgotten what this woman was capable of when she was alive. Turning cold green eyes on the woman he demanded, "And what will your part be in all this?"

Hard blue eyes met green. "I will be opening the tunnel of judgment and I will take her to be judged." Her voice became harsh with anger as she told them, " I will see her in HELL for what she had done to my son and to you." Maude’s eyes then softened, as did her voice. "You just concentrate on getting our Ezra’s out of danger. Protect them and tell mine that I love him."

ATF leader watched as the ghosts of the seven lawmen shuddered as she spoke of opening the tunnel, it was obviously something he really didn’t want to know about from the expressions on their faces. He just hoped that this evil would be stopped, that Ezra would be safe, and that these long lost loves could be reunited to find peace.

"Gentlemen, if you are ready?" The nine men nodded their readiness, and Maude continued, "Then let us being."

---------------------------------------------

It took all the undercover agent’s skill to keep the revulsion and anger from his face and voice as he played along with this fantasy the deranged creature had created. To all appearances this was a woman, except for the eyes. There is an old saying that eyes are the mirror to the soul, in this case the solid black eyes held only madness, pain, and death.

The presence of the gambler’s ghost in his mind helped them both to stay ahead in this game of life and death. He had so far fended off the succubus’s advances by being the courteous southern gentlemen she remembered, insisting that they enjoy the fine meal that was prepared. Why rush things when they had the rest of eternity to enjoy one another? So far it had been successful, but the meal was coming to a close and he had to do something to prevent her from getting him into that bed. From somewhere the knowledge came, that if he failed it would be the end for both him and the gambler. They would be forever trapped screaming silently through eternity.

The Agent watch helplessly as with a smile that displayed sharp fangs, showing that this creature was indeed a demon, the succubus got up from her side of the table. She walked around the table to take his hand, without him realizing it they were half way to the bed minus his robe. Acting on a hunch, he pulled the demon towards him, leaning into her body as he whispered softly, "Dance with me."

The uncover agent allowed the gambler to take over and waltz them around the room while he tried to come up with a plan, but the succubus was through with the romance and wanted her mate. With a strong grip the creature brought his body close to hers as her nails shredded his silk nightgown from the neck down to the small of his back. She then yanked the two pieces down off his shoulders so that it caught at his elbows. He could feel the thin trail of burning scratches being cooled by the small bit of blood welling from them. The succubus grabbed his head with a hand of iron pulling it towards her shoulder, while the other pushed down his shoulder to expose his jugular to her fangs. Fearing that this was the end, he closed his eyes not wishing to see the demon, but the beloved faces of his team leader and sharpshooter. She hissed in his ear. "No more games Ezra, you have been promised to me and I have waited long enough."

As he felt the demon’s fetid breath, on his neck, he steeled himself to feel her teeth tearing apart his neck. Instead he felt himself thrown backwards to land sprawled on the floor tangled in the ruined bed gown.

---------------------------------------------

The combined spirits of both Larabees and Tanners took in the sight of their mate’s face. The despair in their beloved’s face had them shooting the succubus in the back, the rays of pure light piercing the dark creatures being. She threw Ezra away from her to turn and face the threat of the two gunslingers.

Ezra looked up to see his two rescuers battling with the creature while the four ghosts of … his teammates? … stood holding open the portal urging him to come towards them. Keeping an eye on the creature he slowly got up and started towards freedom.

When the succubus saw that her mate had reached freedom she howled her rage, not noticing the growing danger behind her. Maude Standish raised her hands, call forth the tunnel of judgment. As it was forming the two gunslingers increased their efforts, pushing the creature back towards the tunnel entrance.

The succubus had enough and wanted her mate back. She used her power to throw the two rescuers across the room, where they hit the wall before falling stunned to the floor. But it was too late, Maude grabbed her around the waist and fell back into the tunnel. The ghost of the gambler pulled out the agent’s body, rushing towards the tunnel and calling out "Mother!" The ghosts of the tracker and gunslinger tackled him, preventing him from entering the tunnel, which was turning black. Screams, cries, and groans of pain and despair filled the air as black shadows wrapped around the two women that were now trapped. The gambler gave another anguished cry of "Mother!" as he reached out, wishing to somehow rescue the woman that had sacrificed herself for him and his lovers.

Maude Standish refused to let the creature in her arms escape punishment and hung on, determined to see it to the end. Even if it met eternity in hell, if it met keeping her son and the other innocents safe, it was worth it. Maude looked at the pain on her child’s face as he reached out to her, but it was too late to do anything but to tell him, "Ezra I love you and I’m proud of you. Chris, Vin look after him. Love him." Everyone watched as the tunnel collapsed into itself knowing that the Maude had sacrificed herself to see that this evil would never kill or threaten anyone again. As the tunnel disappeared the room that twisted back to the original small underground cell that it was before. The only difference was that the door now stood open, allowing the shocked gaze of the handful of town folk that worked in the Newspaper Museum to see three men lying unconscious on the floor.

---------------------------------------------

Unseen by the humans that moved in to help carry out the unconscious men and make the grisly discovery of the mummified corpse of the dead gambler, six ghosts huddled around a seventh as he wept for his mother. A mother who willingly sacrificed her very soul, to see that her child, his lovers and friends were free while consigning herself to hell. A glowing light started to form but it didn’t register with the seven ghosts until a soft voice called out, "Ezra...".

The seven men looked up into the glowing face of Maude Standish. They made room for her so that she could kneel by her weeping son. Parent and child looked at each for the first time in over a hundred years and embraced. Hugging each other and healing all the small wounds inflected on each other while alive, and gaining forgiveness for all wrongs. The pure love between mother and child made the eyes of the peacekeepers mist over.

It seemed like eternity and yet to short a time when mother and son pulled back from each other. Maude held the face of her beloved child in her hands and told him, "When you and yours are ready, I will be waiting for you in heaven. I know that you have some unfinished business, but I will wait for you my sweet, sweet boy." She then stood and looked at the other six ghosts. "All of your loved ones will be waiting for you all. Do what you have to do and hurry home to us." She then faded, disappearing from their view.

---------------------------------------------

The next morning, the three men left Four Corners with Lorna Wells and Michael Dunne wishing them a safe trip home. Unknown to all, they didn’t leave alone for there were seven additional passengers. The seven peacekeepers didn’t like how the town had thanked the three men, and they wanted to somehow reward them for their help in bringing them back together.

On the hood of the truck the ghosts of the tracker and gambler sat, enjoying the passing scenery and the speed. The ghost of the gunslinger sat back in the truck bed smiling at the joy of his two loves. He also kept an eye on the three silent men in the truck’s cab, worried at how they avoided looking at one another. The gambler and tracker both turned to look at him as they all silently agreed that they would work on bringing the three ATF agents together.

Sheriff JD Dunne sat on the roof of the cab arguing with Buck Wilmington about where he was sitting. The easy banter between the two men had the other five peacekeepers laughing at their antics.

The ghost of the healer and preacher relaxed together in the truck bed as they watched their friends interact with one another, enjoying being together once again as they rode into the dawn of a new day.

The End … or maybe not …