It Could Happen to You

by Kindli

Fandom: MacGyver

Pairing: MacGyver/Murdoc

Status: 1st in a series

Series status: WIP

Disclaimers: MacGyver is owned by someone else... I have absolutely no idea who, I'm sorry to say.. but I know Henry Winkler has his hand in it somewhere. I'm getting no money, or profit from this, except the enjoyment I get from writing it.

Summary: To protect his friends, Mac must sacrifice himself.

 

It Could Happen To You
by Kindli

 

"Come on, MacGyver. Let's go out for dinner. I'll treat, what with it being your birthday and all," Adam offered, grinning at his friend.

MacGyver thought for a moment, and finally nodded. "Sounds like a plan. Do I get to choose the restaurant?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"Sure thing, MacGyver. I know just the place that you'll love, too. There's a new nightclub in Arlington, I've heard it's fabulous." Adam explained, pulling a comb from his back pocket to swipe through his short black curls.

Mac raised his eyes to the ceiling, but with his usual good humor, he shrugged. "Sounds good."

"I just got my car back from the shop, and I can't wait to get back behind the wheel. Let's go."

On the road to the supper club the car stalled, and coasted to a stop on an empty stretch of road.

"Just wait until I talk to that so-called mechanic. I can't believe this. I take it in to get a new stereo and a set of tires. What the hell did he do to it?" Adam complained, not making any move to get out of the car.

MacGyver rolled his eyes, and got out to deal with the problem.

A blue truck pulled up behind them and Mac waved, assuming the man was a good Samaritan.

"Hey, thanks. It's nice of you to..." he stopped, realizing the stranger was holding a gun. The shot came almost simultaneously with that realization; the last thing Mac felt was the impact and the sharp sting of the dart. His sense of relief that it hadn’t been a bullet followed him swiftly down into unconsciousness.

MacGyver awoke to find himself and his friend in connected cages, separated by what proved to be a sturdy set of bars. "Adam? You all right?"

There was no reply, and no indication that Adam was conscious, though Mac didn't see any sign of injury. Hopefully he was just drugged, as I was. A faint sound caught his attention, and he spun to his right.

Standing just outside his cage was the man who had shot him. Curly, dark blond hair framed a strikingly attractive face, though Mac certainly wasn't prepared to be impressed. "Who are you? What do you want from us?"

With a harsh, English accent, the man replied, "Apparently, your friend has made some foolish career choices." The stranger crossed to stand opposite Adam, making no attempt to conceal the weapon he carried. This one didn't look like a dart gun.

"Apparently? You don't even know?" MacGyver wasn't at all sure he could talk them out of this, but he fully intended to try.

The other man eyed him coolly. "I don't ask questions. They don't pay for questions."

Mac nodded, keeping his face impassive. "I suppose not. Reasons might cloud your objectivity." His tone held a trace of contempt.

Clearly surprised, their captor took a step back, an unnecessarily insane laugh proceeding his next comment. "You are amusing, Angus."

Despite himself, MacGyver flinched. He'd always hated his first name. "Don't call me that."

The automatic response won him a dazzling grin. "What would you prefer?"

"MacGyver."

Another grin swept over him, leaving a curious tingling in its wake. "Then MacGyver it is. And you can call me Murdoc." With a last glance at Adam's still-motionless form, Murdoc turned and strode out of the room.

MacGyver stared after him, shivering. Why was it that the bad guys were always British?

He wasn't sure what had just happened, but he had an uneasy feeling he would find out. Unless, of course, he could get himself and Adam out of there quickly.

He racked his brain, hoping for a plan. He'd already checked his pockets only to find them empty; someone, presumably Murdoc, had relieved him of his wallet, his watch and his Swiss army knife. Mac spent a frustrating interval prowling his confined space, searching for anything he could use to pick the lock. Unfortunately, the cell was empty but for himself. It appeared that Murdoc was a very thorough man.

Mac was sitting on the floor with his back against the wall when Murdoc returned. "Come here, MacGyver. I have a proposition for you."

Nervously, MacGyver rose and stepped over to the bars where Murdoc waited.

"What would you give me if I spared your friend's life?"

Mac stared at him in disbelief.

Completely serious, Murdoc watched him closely. "Would you stay with me, if I allowed your friend to live?"

Mac wondered what this was all about. "Stay with you and do what?"

Murdoc looked him over, up and down, with an appreciative glint in his eye, making his meaning perfectly clear. "You would be my 'companion'."

MacGyver's hands tightened on the bars until his knuckles went white. "Companion?" His voice shook with anger and disbelief. "You want me to stay and be your lover?"

Murdoc shrugged. "If you prefer, I could kill him and release you with the knowledge that you could have saved him. But you have my word that I'll not harm him if you agree to my terms."

Mac glared at him in frustration. Either way, it seemed unlikely that either he or Adam would leave alive, but if there was even a remote chance, shouldn't he take it? At least to give him an opportunity of finding another way to escape? "For how long?"

"Until I tire of you."

"And then what?"

"Then I release you with the assurance that I will not be the one who kills your foolish friend. Of course, those who hired me might hire someone else, but that wouldn't be my fault." Murdoc tilted his head to one side as though considering another alternative. "Unless you would prefer I kill the men who offered me this job?"

Incredulous, MacGyver stared at him. "You want me to give you the go-ahead to kill someone?"

"It was only a suggestion. Do you accept my terms or not?" Almost casually, Murdoc aimed his gun at Adam.

Adam lay unconscious, unaware that his life was on trial. Murdoc had cocked the gun before Mac finally spoke. "Fine, I'll do whatever you want. Just let him live."

Murdoc smiled as he lowered the gun. "A wise decision." He was all but purring with satisfaction as he pulled a set of keys from his pocket. "We'll leave your friend here with the door unlocked. When he comes around, he'll be free to go. Meanwhile, you and I will get better acquainted - but not here. Come along, we'll go to my hotel." He opened the door to Mac's cage as he spoke and gestured MacGvyer out.

Mac hesitated, noting with trepidation that Murdoc now held a set of handcuffs. "First I want you to open Adam's cell door."

Still smiling, Murdoc did as MacGvyer asked, before he cuffed Mac's wrists in front of him. "I'll give you more freedom when I decide I can trust you. I want your word that you'll stay quiet while we're out in public."

"You have my word; but how do you know I'll keep it?"

"If you betray me, I'll kill you and everyone you hold dear. I have your entire life on file now, MacGyver. Our friend Adam and everyone else you care about - they'll all die. Unless you do as you're told." Serenely, Murdoc ushered Mac to the exit and through it, where a badly shaken MacGyver found himself outside.

*

Murdoc was registered at the Hilton. He chuckled at the look of surprise on Mac's face. "You think my services come cheap?" A leather jacket was draped over Mac's cuffed wrists and no one gave them a second glance as they crossed the lobby and headed for the elevator.

All too soon, they reached the hotel room. As Murdoc opened the door, Mac hesitated, glancing frantically around. The halls were empty, and he sighed; not sure if he were disappointed or relieved. Murdoc tugged on his arm and he practically fell into the room.

Once inside, Murdoc pressed Mac into the door and began kissing him. Mac stood frozen in shock, opening his mouth finally under the assault of a probing tongue and was startled to feel his bodies positive response.

Murdoc released his mouth with a grin. While one hand held Mac's head, his other began roaming over Mac's upper torso and waist.

Mac groaned when Murdoc ground his hips into his own, he gripped at Murdoc's shirt with his cuffed hands, trying to get a hold of him.

Murdoc pulled away with a smirk, and dug in his pockets for the keys to the handcuffs. He released MacGyver's wrists, "Strip," and he began to remove his own clothing.

Mac hands shook as he obeyed. It was beginning to sink in. He was in a hotel room with an assassin, about to let the man fuck him, the first time in what would apparently be many. God, what had he gotten himself into this time? He'd given his word; none of his friends would be safe, if he backed out.

Now naked, Murdoc advanced on him again, backing him onto the bed. MacGyver landed unceremoniously on the mattress and stared up nervously.

"Now, now. You've got nothing to fear from me, pet. You'll like this," Murdoc promised, caressing Mac's leg.

MacGyver didn't believe him and a frisson of fear tingled down his spine. He lay on the bed, legs slightly spread--appearing for all the world like a nervous sacrifice.

With a chuckle, Murdoc moved to kneel above him and leaned in to kiss him. Mac was still nervous, but Murdoc was gentle with him, kissing his mouth, and then his neck. Mac could tell he would have some huge hickey's in the morning, but suddenly couldn't bring himself to care. He began his own timid explorations of Murdoc's body, and his partner all but purred.

A couple of hours later, MacGyver lay next to his sleeping 'captor' wondering what had happened. He certainly hadn't expected he would enjoy himself- yet tonight had been a revelation in itself. The older man promised not to hurt him, and had kept his promise.

At twenty-three, MacGyver had never experimented with men, never thought to, either. Tonight's experience had been completely new to him, and not a bad one at that. Murdoc slept peacefully next to him, his arm around Mac's waist.

Mac allowed himself to relax, sleep coming to him just before dawn.

*

"What do you think?" Murdoc asked, his arm around Mac's waist, as he maneuvered them through the house.

"It's okay." Mac replied, glancing around the living room. It was bright and airy. Murdoc had taken him to at least four different places that morning, and he was getting tired of it. He liked all of them, but considering that he was setting up house with an assassin, it was difficult to get too excited about it.

"Come on MacGyver. It's got a big kitchen, a nice living room, a large bedroom and the basement is perfect. I can even have a darkroom down there," Murdoc explained, cheerfully.

Finally deciding that enough was enough, Mac smiled at him. "You're right. It is a nice house; and it is pretty close to the shopping area," he agreed. It was strange, a year ago, he had started out living with the man to save the life of his friend; but it had become more than that. He refused to admit how strongly he cared for the man. He had no doubt that Murdoc was a killer, but Murdoc tried to keep him out of that part of his life. It was evidence in itself that Murdoc liked him as well. He did things like this to prove it.

"Exactly. We'll take it," Murdoc decided, kissing Mac soundly on the mouth.

Pulling away, Mac glanced at the Realtor, wondering how the woman would react. She just smiled, and turned away. Mac relaxed, relieved. He didn't want to cause undue attention, because he didn't want Murdoc to be remembered. It could cause problems if Murdoc were recognized.

Murdoc turned to the lady, "Shall we go to the office and wrap this up?"

*

When Murdoc entered, MacGyver was pacing the floor.

"What's the matter, pet?" Murdoc took his coat off and hung it on a hook near the door.

"Adam is dead."

Murdoc rolled his eyes, "That egotistical friend of yours? You told him to be careful, didn't you?"

"Of course I warned him, but you promised me you wouldn't kill him," Mac reminded him.

Murdoc raised an eyebrow at the young man. "Mac, you do realize I'm not the only hitman in the world, don't you?"

"Yes, I know you're not the only one around, but you're one of the best out there, and this had all the earmarks of one of yours." Mac responded, irritably.

"You think I broke my word to you?" Murdoc's eyes narrowed dangerously.

Quite suddenly, Mac realized the mistake he'd made, and swallowed nervously. "The family received photos of the death. Your specialty."

"Really? I have a copy-cat? How interesting," he murmured, momentarily distracted.

Mac's shaky knees refused to support him, and he sank to the floor. What the hell could he have been thinking, challenging an assassin? He knew Murdoc liked him, possibly even cared for him; but loyalty was an absolute necessity in his line of work. Lack of trust was a betrayal in itself, in Murdoc's eyes, and he'd just committed it. He was dead.

"Not that a flimsy excuse like that is getting you off the hook, 'pet'," the assassin warned, walking closer, until he stood right in front of the kneeling young man.

"I'm sorry?" Mac tried, hopefully, gazing nervously up at Murdoc.

Murdoc stared at him coldly. "I gave you my promise over two years ago that I would never intentionally harm your friends. I don't intend to break that promise. In return for that protection, I expect your loyalty and your companionship. If you keep your end of the bargain, I'll keep mine. I'd appreciate if you'd attempt to remember that, the next time the newspapers report the demise of one of your friends."

Mac nodded and licked his lips nervously, "I really am sorry, Murdoc. When I saw that Adam was dead, I wasn't thinking straight." The newspaper fell from his lax fingers, and he used them to caress Murdoc's legs.

A small shiver ran through Murdoc's body at Mac's touch, before he backed away, out of the younger man's reach. "Obviously," he grumbled, and added, "you can stay exactly where you are, until I give you permission to move." He leaned over, and picked up the paper.

Mac nodded his acceptance, and remained on his knees in the middle of the floor, while Murdoc walked over to the couch and relaxed into it. Mac watched as he opened the paper, ignoring the murder article until last. As the assassin read the paper, Mac remained where he was told. He knew that the danger had passed, Murdoc wouldn't hurt him; but it would only upset him, if Mac were to intentionally disobey a direct order. He hated kneeling on the floor like an animal; but he knew he had hurt Murdoc, and if this was to be his punishment, he should consider himself lucky.

Murdoc finished reading the article, and looked over at Mac. "The Copycat really did his homework." He acknowledged, though he still looked annoyed.

"Come here, luv," he commanded, softening his tone.

Mac stayed on his knees, and crawled over to him, his head still down, and leaned against Murdoc's knee. Hopefully humility would improve his lover's mood.

Murdoc petted his hair for a few minutes, before he silently encouraged Mac to sit up beside him.

Mac moved to sit beside him, and nestled into Murdoc's side. Mac had realized early on that Murdoc seemed pleased when they cuddled; so now he let his desire for physical contact guide him. Murdoc rubbed his back and offered, "If you'd like, I'll take you to his funeral."

Mac nodded, "Thank you." Then he added in a whisper, "I'm sorry, Murdoc- I should know by now that you'd never break your word."

"Yeah, you should know, by now," Murdoc agreed, "but I read the details- whoever did it put a lot of work into mimicking me. I'll forgive you for it. This time."

MacGyver sighed in relief.

"You're still going to eat humble pie for the next week, though," Murdoc informed him.

Mac sighed again, but not in relief.

*

Mac stormed out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. Murdoc followed, and Mac rounded on him, "If you had your way, I'd never make any friends."

"Damn straight!" Murdoc retorted, reaching around his angry lover to grab two glasses from the cupboard.

Mac hadn't expected Murdoc to acknowledge it so quickly, and leaned against the counter to glare at him. "Why not?"

Murdoc sighed. "For a highly intelligent man, you are totally blind to certain things." He walked to the fridge, gathering his thoughts before turning back to Mac.

"If it had been me, last year, who had killed Adam- would you have left me?"

Mac's eyes dimmed as he recalled the event and finally nodded. "But you didn't... you wouldn't have done it," his tone made it obvious that he couldn't see where Murdoc was going with this.

"Do I ever discuss a hit with you, whether it be before or after it's done?"

Mac shook his head. "Thankfully not."

"MacGyver- I know who all of your friends and family are. If you make new friends and I end up taking a hit out on them- neither of us would know until it were too late."

"So... you don't want me to make friends, because you might kill them without realizing it."

"I've promised you I wouldn't kill your friends, and unless you plan to make a list, everyday, of people you now consider friends- I might end up breaking my promise."

Understanding began to dawn on Mac's face. "And I've made it clear that I'll leave, if you kill my friends."

"Exactly." Murdoc nodded, handing Mac a glass of carrot juice.

Mac took the glass. "You really care about me, don't you?" he sounded surprised.

Murdoc stared at him, startled. "Obviously. What the hell kind of question is that?"

Mac just stared at him- his mouth opening and closing like a fish, before he finally spoke. "God Murdoc! I'm sorry."

The older man rolled his eyes. "You're always sorry, MacGyver."

Mac paused, trying to articulate his thoughts into words. "I mean, I'm sorry that I didn't make my own emotions clearer to you. I hate your profession, you know that, but I... I care about you. I don't want to leave you. I thought you had to know that by now."

Murdoc said nothing, instead watching him from over his glass as he drank his juice.

MacGyver quickly added, "I don't mean I'll just overlook anything you do- but damn, it's been over three years already- I don't like your career anymore now, than I did when we first met. If I were going to 'run away' don't you think I'd have done it by now?" he finished, exasperated.

Murdoc smiled at him and stepped into Mac’s personal space. He took the man's glass and set it next to his own on the counter, before trapping Mac against said counter between his arms. He pressed his body tight against Mac's.

Mac whimpered softly, and clasped his hands around Mudoc's waist, initiating a kiss.

*

Murdoc entered the living room, and heard voices coming from the kitchen. He hung up his jacket, stowed away his weapons, and changed into clean clothes, before he finally decided to see who Mac had invited to visit. A very new occurrence, since Mac usually chose to meet his friends at restaurants and anywhere else he could, never at home.

The moment he stepped into the kitchen, he regretted it.

"Murdoc! How ya doin' old chum?" Jack greeted him, cheerfully.

Murdoc turned to Mac, satisfied when his lover sent him an apologetic grimace.

Mac spoke up, before Murdoc could make the cutting remark he was dying to make. "Jack, he's told you before not to call him 'chum'. Um, Murdoc, Jack was in the neighborhood, and decided to stop in to say hi."

Murdoc nodded, his disbelief evident in his expression. "How much is he asking you to stake in his little venture, this time?"

"I resent that," Jack protested, "but, speaking of money..." he halted when Murdoc gave him a look, "anyway, like Mac said, I just came to say hi. I'll, uh, I'll be going now. Erm... anyway, bye." He stood up hastily, his smile a bit shaky, and he left.

Mac shook his head, amazed at his friends temerity. He turned to Murdoc, who was now giving him that same look. Unlike Jack, though, he wasn't afraid of it, much.

"What was he asking for?" Murdoc wanted to know.

"He wants to start his own taxi business." Mac replied.

Murdoc looked surprised. "He does, does he? Somewhere that he'd make his own money. I'm impressed. How much does he need?"

It was Mac's turn to look surprised, and he stared at Murdoc in consternation. "You're not serious?"

Murdoc just smiled at him.

 

The end