The Time Between

By Sioux

Fandom: Lord of the Rings

Pairing: Aragorn /Legolas

Rating: NC17

Spoilers: Set after the end of The Two Towers and before the Return of the King.

Disclaimer: All characters belong to J R R Tolkein

Archive: http://www.sioux.org.uk and makebelieve anyone else please ask.

 

The Time Between

By Sioux

 

"Aragorn!"

Aragorn turned at the sound of the Elf’s voice.

"Come with me," Legolas said, holding out his hand.

"Where?"

"Come! You’ll see," Legolas smiled.

Aragorn smiled back, despite his wearied state. Perhaps, he thought, it was en elvish trait, to have so much energy. It may go hand in hand with a much longer life span than a mortal man. Slowly he rolled himself off the pallet and stood up. Legolas had not been idle whilst he waited. He picked up the tray with a jug of wine and two cups on it, along with the blankets from Aragorn’s bed. Aragorn lifted his eyebrows in question. Legolas just smiled back at him, a hint of mischief dancing in his eyes as he led the way out of the room they had been given. The Elf danced down the stone stairs in front of him. Down past the audience hall, motioning to Aragorn to pick up a flaming torch on the way, then through another door and down another set of more rough hewn steps. These kept going until Aragorn wondered just how far underneath the castle they were. Even the walls looked natural and not man made.

Unless he was much mistaken the air was getting warmer too. A breath of humidity caressed his face as they turned a corner. Ahead a huge wooden door was standing slightly ajar. Grandly Legolas motioned him to precede him.

Cautiously Aragorn pulled open the door and peered inside. More torches in sconces attached to the walls made flickering shadows within the cavern. Strange plants and grasses were growing all around the cavern whilst in the centre mist rose lazily from a large pool of water. Legolas followed him inside and pushed the door shut. He dropped the blankets on the ground and put the tray down as well.

"Gandalf says the water in the pool is warm all year round. It’s heated by the fires in the earth."

All the time Legolas was speaking he was also getting undressed. Bemused, Aragorn watched the show.

"Don’t you want to bathe in warm water?" the Elf asked, shucking his boots.

"I usually bathe alone."

"You know it’s more fun with two," Legolas replied, winking at him.

Aragorn laughed and began to undress, watching appreciatively when Legolas slid his smooth, slim body into the water. The Elf groaned when the warmth permeated his skin.

"Oh that’s good!" he whispered, closing his eyes.

Aragorn wasted no further time in removing the last of his clothing and then slid into the water. Legolas was right, it did feel good. The warmth began to work it’s magic on the aches and pains in Aragorn’s bruised body, relaxing him and easing the tension of the last few weeks from his muscles.

Gandalf had brought them here, three days after the victory at Helms Deep. No king lived in this castle. It was a resting stage for weary travellers. Also one Aragorn, despite all his travelling, had never heard of. He did wonder if this place were part magic. Whatever it was he was glad of the respite for a few days. He floated mindless, with his eyes closed in the water for some undefined length of time. It was quiet and still, the small currents in the pool not enough to do more than move his body around slowly. His meditative peace was fraying as something wet kept crawling down the side of his face. Irritated he rubbed at the intrusion. It stopped for a short time then began again, this time crawling along his beard and across his lips. Suspicious, he cracked open his eyes. Legolas was concentrating so much on his self-appointed task he didn’t noticed he had been caught. He had unbound his blonde hair, dipped the end of a tress in the warm water and was using it to tickle his companion’s face. Aragorn found the look of mixed mischief and concentration on his face amusing but he stopped himself from smiling. That would have given the game away. Instead he stretched out and allowed himself to disappear under the surface of the pool. Confused, Legolas stood up in the chest deep water and tried to look down through the water where Aragorn had gone. Silently Aragorn surfaced behind the Elf and leaned on his shoulders. Legolas went under, his yelp of surprise cut off as his head went below the surface. Quickly Aragorn made his escape. Legolas rose to the surface in a great fountain of water to hear Aragorn’s laughter echoing around the cavern. He joined in then started to splash the man who retaliated in kind.

The water fight lasted for a while until they both stopped, Aragorn swimming over to Legolas who had suddenly become silent. He looked questioningly at the Elf who smiled and looked around.

"Haldir would have loved this," he said softly.

"Yes, he liked the water," Aragorn agreed, memories as bright and clear as the day he’d made them rushing back into his mind.

"He liked warm water," Legolas corrected. "He liked to love under the waterfalls in the summer when the sun had heated the pools underneath," he smiled at the memory. "I’m going to miss him."

Aragorn gazed at Legolas, his questions unasked but naked in his eyes.

"We loved together, sometimes. He is, he was, gentle and sweet at love," Legolas said, smiling.

Aragorn nodded before he could stop himself, then quickly turned his head away, but not quite quickly enough.

Legolas put out his hand to turn Aragorn’s face back.

"You ?"

Aragorn gave a half smile.

"A long time ago. I don’t think he remembered me."

Legolas narrowed his eyes in concentration.

"Don’t be too sure of that. He liked to love with many but he didn’t forget," Legolas told him with a kiss to his lips. "Did he put his mouth on you?"

"He liked kissing," Aragorn replied, kissing Legolas to demonstrate.

Legolas grinned before taking more kisses from the man.

"I meant did he kiss you there?" he said, letting his hand rest then caress between Aragorn’s legs. Aragorn gasped slightly, hardening even more to Legolas’ immense smiling satisfaction.

"It would be unfair to tell," he replied a little breathless. "Why?"

"He once told me he’d thoroughly enjoyed kneeling at the feet of a king!"

"Did he?"

"Yes, he did," Legolas said softly smiling into Aragorn’s eyes, his hand never stopping it’s exploration under the water.

Aragorn closed his eyes and licked his lips, the speed of his breathing increasing. He felt lips touch his face, his lips and neck as Legolas manoeuvred them to the side of the pool. He slid his arms around the Elf’s slim body and hugged him close, feeling the answering hardness against his side. He buried his face in Legolas’ damp hair, inhaling the delicate fragrance of elven arousal which never failed to heighten his answering passion. He sighed, content, waiting on the Elf’s pleasure which was usually sought and found within his body. He found his lips, soft and delicate and kissed him deeply, their tongues touching and tasting each other. A familiar comfort to both. Aragorn pulled away intending to turn around in the circle of Legolas’ arms, but was stopped.

"We don’t usually have much time for this," Legolas murmured. "Relax, we have three days here," he said between kisses along the man’s bearded throat.

Aragorn moaned softly.

"Three days of loving with you will accomplish what the Uruk-hai didn’t!" he whispered.

Legolas found it was impossible to kiss and laugh at the same time.

"I’ll let you rest in-between, mortal," Legolas cheekily promised then he slowly submerged, keeping eye contact with Aragorn as long as possible.

Aragorn watched as Legolas’ bright hair floated out around his head like a halo, moving slightly in the currents of the pool, then he gasped and closed his eyes his hands automatically reaching out to the Elf’s shoulders under the water. Legolas’ mouth moved smoothly and strongly, one hand gripping Aragorn’s hip to anchor himself the other stroking, caressing and preparing the man for later.

When he had to come up again to breathe Aragorn was murmuring in elvish, profanities interspersed with endearments, his eyes closed and his head thrown back. If Legolas hadn’t known what had been happening he would have thought the man was hurt and in pain rather than hurting from the pain of pleasure.

"I didn’t realise you knew language like that," he whispered in his ear in the same language.

"Your mouth inspires mine," Aragorn whispered back before crushing Legolas’ mouth in a fierce kiss which Legolas broke with sharp nips to his jaw and throat.

"Now, oh now, now!" Aragorn begged.

Roughly Legolas turned Aragorn’s body to face the side of the pool, positioning him as he wanted before entering his body. They both froze waiting for the first bright flush of pleasure to dim. Legolas rested his head against Aragorn’s spine his arms holding his lover tight, waiting for him to move first. They stayed like that for a little while before Aragorn asked,

"Have you fallen asleep, Elf?"

Legolas smiled against the skin under his cheek and gently rotated his hips, bringing forth a soft moan which vibrated through Aragorn’s back to his own chest.

"Does that feel like I’m asleep, mortal?" A pause. "Would you like me to move now?"

"Mmmm, but not too far away."

Legolas did as he was bidden. Slow, unhurried movement gradually quickening until Aragorn opened his mouth in a soundless scream his breath sobbing in his throat. Legolas waited until the heart under his hand began to slow before he found his own frowning, silent paroxysm of pleasure.

Aragorn turned and rested his back against the side of the pool, taking his sleepy contented lover into his arms. Legolas fidgeted until he found a comfortable resting place, his ear pressed over Aragorn’s heart, his arms loosely clasped around his waist. Lazily Aragorn traced around the shell of the pointed ear he could reach, until Legolas snuffled and moved his head away so then he began to finger comb his hair with one hand, holding him with the other. He sluiced warm water over his shoulders and through his scalp, washing away their combined sweat, until Legolas began to stir again.

"There’s a comb near my clothes," Legolas said, hopefully.

Aragorn reached back, snagging the comb with one long arm whilst Legolas contemplated the stretched chest before him. Softly he kissed one small brown nipple then rested his forehead against Aragorn’s chest as the mortal began to comb his hair.

By the time he had finished Legolas’ hair was straight and nearly dry whilst his fingers tips had wrinkled.

"I think we had better get out of this pool," he said, inspecting his hands. "Before I wrinkle everywhere."

"I can think of a way of straightening some things out," Aragorn replied, with a straight face.

Legolas smiled as he sprang out of the pool, water sheeting down his pale smooth skin. Aragorn left the water in a more leisurely fashion by which point Legolas had already laid the blankets out and was stretched out, resting a cup of wine on his chest.

"So whose bed will you be sharing this night?" Aragorn asked, looking down at the Elf taking his ease.

"My own."

"I’ll be in there, with the dry blankets." Aragorn told him.

"We’ll just have to share then," he replied sweetly.

"That will be interesting for Gimli and Gandalf, they’re in the same room."

"You think they don’t know?"

"There is a difference between knowing and showing."

"Well, we’ll just have to be sure nothing comes up during the night!"

Aragorn grinned and threw himself down on the blanket beside Legolas, helping himself from Legolas’ cup as well.

Legolas propped himself up on one elbow and putting his thigh between Aragorn’s thighs made himself comfortable again before taking a drink. He rested the cup against Aragorn’s chest, which allowed them both to share the wine.

"Does this place speak to you of magic?" Aragorn asked.

"There are some enchantments here," he replied.

"The pool?"

Legolas shook his head.

"No, the pool has no magic," he leaned down and kissed him. "Save that in our bodies."

"I have no complaints about those enchantments," Aragorn said.

Legolas left the cup propped on Aragorn’s chest and reached out for the jug.

"Did you drink wine with Haldir?" Legolas asked.

"Oft times when we broke bread together," Aragorn replied, thinking it a strange question.

Legolas smiled and took a drink from the cup but didn’t swallow it. He fitted his lips to Aragorn’s and let the cool wine dribble into this mouth. After the initial surprise Aragorn drank from his mouth eagerly.

"That much improves flavour!"

"Indeed."

"I think Haldir held out on me."

"You were young and mortal," Legolas reminded him, then guessed, "And he was your first?"

"He was," Aragorn replied, looking inward. "I was young and frightened and hurt. I’d become separated from my comrades. Haldir found me bleeding to death. When I saw him I thought I’d already died and gone to paradise. I thought he was the most beautiful creature I’d ever seen. He stemmed the bleeding and cared for me. When I was well enough he taught me the uses of many plants and herbs."

Aragorn fell quiet.

"And?"

Aragorn didn’t answer, instead he smiled a secret smile.

"And he taught you of love," Legolas said, then letting Aragorn drink from his lips. "Although I can’t imagine Haldir seducing a young boy. His tastes ran to elvish men not boys."

Aragorn’s smile got wider.

"You seduced Haldir?"

Aragorn waited and then nodded.

"I wanted him so much. I found certain herbs said to promote desire, pounded them and prepared them then rubbed them into my skin with the dew of midnight. Then I stole into his bed. He woke with an armful of cold mortal covered in pungent green slime. I can still remember him asking, very quietly, what I had rubbed into my hair. He listened and nodded. Then asked me why, so I told him. It was weeks before he told me the herbs I’d worn in his bed were used to cure colic in a horse, not promote desire in an Elf!"

Legolas laughed out loud, the cavern echoing with their merriment.

"He never ever mentioned that!" Legolas said trying to stop laughing.

"Of that I am heartily glad!" Aragorn replied.

Remembering Haldir began to stir desire for Legolas again. Legolas drank most of the cup of wine from Aragorn’s mouth then Aragorn kissed his pale creamy skin all over letting his hands and lips linger where he knew Legolas liked to be stroked and kissed. He finished by kissing the pink rosebud heart of him, pushing his tongue inside to stroke the silkiness within. Legolas, on all fours, his head hanging down, his hair obscuring his face, panted hard.

"Aragorn that tickles too much!" he said breathlessly.

"Do you want me to stop?" he asked, caressing the heated rod in his hand and pressing it back against the Elf’s flat belly.

"I would like something thicker and longer than your tongue there," Legolas suggested, trying to sound reasonable but failing miserably.

Aragorn ignored the request and went back to using his tongue. He was enjoying this. Legolas groaned letting his head fall onto his folded arms. The mortal was going to torture him to death.

Eventually Aragorn took pity on Legolas and pierced his body. Legolas nearly howled his gratitude, the twin stimulations of hand without and cock within causing him to spill his seed. Aragorn stopped, waiting. Legolas pulled away, turned and kissed Aragorn’s lips and whispered,

"Lie down."

Aragorn didn’t immediately comply with the request he was too busy kissing Legolas.

"Lie down, your Elf wants to ride with thy saddle."

He lay on the blanket, Legolas straddling him, his skin glowing and shining, then he lowered himself. Aragorn’s back arched, the top of his head digging into the blankets as he cried out. The muscles of Legolas’ long, lean thighs bunched and relaxed as he rode the man as delicately as if perched upon the most skittish colt, his hands resting on Aragorn’s chest watching his face. Desire stirring within him once again. Aragorn touched him, closed his hand about him, moving his fist in time with the motion of Legolas’ muscles. Their eyes stripping bare the deep well of emotion within the other, imbuing the act with far more intimacy than just friends taking ease within each other’s body, their usual perception of this act.

Legolas’ face creased into a frown, this wasn’t how it should be. Aragorn was in love with Arwen Evenstar, the jewel shining at his neck proclaimed it, he wasn’t in love with him, he couldn’t be. And giving his heart to a mortal was the act of a fool, their lives were so short, he would spend the greater part of his own life mourning Aragorn. Suddenly he knew and with that knowledge tears filled his eyes. When Aragorn’s life ended, whether by battle or through the ravages of time, he would mourn the loss of this mortal fully as much as Arwen. It was too late to think about not giving his heart, Aragorn already possessed it. He closed his eyes to block the knowing from Aragorn, he must not know, he would not know! Aragorn spent himself within his body at almost the same time Legolas spilled his seed again, but this time he only felt the pain in his heart not the pleasure and ease which usually came at that dazzling, pulsing moment.

"Legolas! Legolas I have harmed you?"

"No, no I am well," he assured the worried Aragorn, turning his face away from the fierce scrutiny. "It is an elvish affliction."

"I did not see this before, either with you or Haldir."

"Arwen?"

"With Arwen, sometimes," he replied slowly.

"And no harm befalls her," Legolas said, wiping his face and lying half across Aragorn. He settled with an arm around Aragorn’s neck and his head against his shoulder, saying nothing more.

Aragorm was surprised at the speed with which Legolas fell asleep. His body relaxed in his arms and his breathing slowed, cool air blowing across his skin at regular intervals. The monotony was soothing and Aragorn followed the Elf into sleep soon afterwards.

The light in the cavern seemed much brighter than it should have been against his closed eyelids. Slowly Legolas opened his eyes. An Elf, limned in glowing light, was sitting not far from himself and Aragorn. Quickly he looked but Aragorn was still sleeping.

"Haldir?" he whispered.

The Elf paused in the act of taking a drink from the cup in his hand, seeing Legolas looking he paused and lifted the cup in a toast to him, then drank deeply. Then the image of Haldir smiled at him. Slowly the glow diminished and with it’s cessation Haldir disappeared.

Legolas put his head back on Aragorn’s shoulder thinking. Eventually he slept again, soothed in the arms of his love, the pain in his heart eased a little.

 

© Sioux Jan 2003