Title: Secrets That He Keeps

Author: Dragon Kat

Email: drachekatze@hotmail.com

Feedback: Yes. Constructive criticism also welcomed and asked for.

Archive: Least Expected, WWOMB, others just let me know.

Pairing: Frodo/Sam, a little bit of Frodo/Aragorn implied

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters, they belong to Tolkien's estate, I'm just borrowing them for a little while. Song lyrics belong to Per Gessle and Marie Fredrickson of Roxette, I only changed `she' to `he' for purposes of this fic. Don't sue me `cus I'm not making any money from this.

Rating: PG-13

Warnings: Angst

Summary: Sam and Frodo's thoughts on what is happening to their relationship. Takes place throughout FotR, set in the movieverse.

Author's Notes: words/phrases inside asterisks are italicised. This is a song fic inspired by the song "Secrets that She Keeps" by Roxette. Words

inside //..// are song lyrics.

 

Secrets That He Keeps
by Dragon Kat

//I move alright, I got the wheels going round, making waves in the night.
Yea we're moving alright wipin' the rain from the ground and the pale from
the sky, but something happens in his heart when the morning comes//


~At The Prancing Pony~

Mister Frodo thinks I'm asleep now. Well, I'm not, not while he can't sleep. We made it to The Prancing Pony all right. We were drenched though, but that is better I suppose than being kidnapped by that dark lord. Pippen almost gave away who Frodo was and when Frodo tried to stop him he tripped and put that ring on. He vanished when he did that. I was so worried. He reappeared moments later and was then snatched up by that scruffy ranger that Butterbur told us about. We don't know who this Strider person really is and I don't trust him. Mister Frodo does.it seems strange to me. After he snatched Frodo up like that and all. We don't have any proof except for still being alive that he's not working with Sauron. For me that's not enough. Frodo has been staring at him all evening. I don't understand why. He's nothing special, just a scruffy human. Well, I suppose I just answered my own question. He's so different from any Hobbit. I suppose that is what Mister Frodo sees in him. Still, I do wonder what will become of us. I love him I do. And I don't wish to loose him.

 

~After Weathertop~

When we got to Weathertop Strider left us to go look around. At least that's what he said. Frodo chose to decline our company to sleep. He was acting distant all day, then, he wakes up and yells at us for starting a small fire to cook over. Pippen lost all his wonderful tomatoes. As an after thought though, not having the fire would probably have prevented the Nazgúl from finding us so easily. Mister Frodo was taken away by an elf maiden. I'm so worried for him. I wish Strider had let us go with him.

//The secrets that he keeps away from me, the tears on his pillow he don't
want me to see. Well every little thing he does is for me but somebody new
is breaking us in two//


~Rivendell~

I've finally returned to the world. I don't remember much past getting stabbed by the Nazgúl. Gandalf was kind enough to tell me the whole story.

Lord Elrond healed me. It was wonderful to see Sam. Gandalf said he hardly left my side while I was ill. He's so dedicated. I really do love him. I'm so happy that he's with me here. I honestly don't know what I would do without him. Strider is wonderful too. We would never have made it past Bree had it not been for him. I shall miss him when Sam and I go home.


~After the Council~

Well, it seems I shall not be going home. Elrond called a secret council of humans, dwarves, and elves to decide what to do with the ring. It was decided that we must destroy it. I volunteered to do it. I still cannon fathom why I willingly volunteered myself for such a task. Gandalf immediately volunteered himself. Strider.Aragorn also joined. He pledged his life to me. I can still feel his hand on my shoulder. I.I should not feel this way for him, but I do. An elf named Legolas, a dwarf named Gimli, and a human named Boromir also pledged themselves to this quest. Sam ran through the bushes around the room and plainly told Elrond that I was not going anywhere without him. I love him so much. He's such a dear, dedicated hobbit. Merry and Pippen had also been spying and joined us. None of them have any idea what the road that lies before us is. I hope we all come out of this alive.


//He's the kind of love that makes whirl in your mind, like the tide and the
time. With just a little bit of soul he fights to find peace of mind in
these shattering eyes, but something happens in his heart when the morning comes//


~After exiting the Mines of Moria~

Gandalf is dead. I cannot understand this. Why did he have to die like that? Why didn't anyone try to save him? And poor Frodo. He feels as if this is all his fault. That if he hadn't offered to bear the ring Gandalf would never have come. But it's not his fault. He didn't know. This is going to break him. I just know it will. Hobbits weren't made to be adventurers. We're too.too.innocent. Strider is going to comfort him now.

That should be me. But it isn't. I can't cope with this pain. Why do I have to love Frodo so much that I had to follow him? I can't see how any of us will live through this. If Gandalf can die.And what this will do to my poor Mister Frodo.

//The secrets that he keeps away from me, the tears on his pillow he don't
want me to see. Well every little thing he does is for me but somebody new
is breaking us in two//

 

~At the Anduin~

I cannot put any of them through this with me. This is a burden that I must bear alone. I knew this from the beginning though. After speaking with the lady Galadriel I realise now that I cannot rely on any but myself. Boromir's treachery added more proof to that. Aragorn found me before I left. It was a bittersweet parting. I doubt I will ever see any of them again. I have brought this upon all of them when it should have been only me from the start. And Sam. My dear, dear Sam. I hope he will understand why I am doing this eventually.

I can hear someone running through the woods now. The sounds are getting louder. I must paddle harder. I cannot let them stop me from leaving.

"Frodo! Mister Frodo!"

"Go back, Sam. I'm going to Mordor alone."

"Of course you are, and I'm coming with you."

"You can't swim! Sam!" I can see him sinking into the water.it closing over his head. I won't loose another friend! I paddle the boat to where I last saw him and lean over, grasping his hand. I can feel his fingers close over mine and I pull him into the boat. I just stare at him for a moment, happy that he is alive and with me.

"I made a promise, Mister Frodo. A promise. Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to. I don't mean to."

"Oh Sam." I hug him. How can I not love him? This Hobbit who would follow me to the ends of the earth and beyond. Even when I tell him not to.

//The love of you and me//

end