Promises

by Nancy

the_tenth_muse@mailcity.com

Lord of the Rings

Pairing: Sam/Frodo

Summary: After the near suborning of Frodo by the Ring, Sam and Frodo discover something and exchange a promise.

Rated G for pure and utter SAP *grin*

 

Promises

by Nancy

"It's your Sam, Mr. Frodo! Don't you know your Sam!?"

The words rang over and over in Frodo's head, damning him every time with how close he'd come to killing Sam. The betrayed, panicked look in the other hobbit's eyes when the blade cut into Sam's throat, almost drawing blood, was burned into his brain. It had been a very near thing, too near, Frodo's succumbing to the Ring. For an eternal moment, he'd been surrounded by darkness, unable to find his way clear.

Then, that heartbreaking cry from Sam shattered the violence, "It's your Sam, Mr. Frodo! Don't you know your Sam!?"

And he hadn't. Frodo hadn't known anything except the rule of the Ring for several long moments, even after Sam's words, with Sam's life hanging on the tip of the sword and Frodo's scant will. Finally, the pleading, tearful eyes had penetrated and Frodo had fallen back, dropping the short sword from his grasp. He had filled with despair, with the knowledge that he'd almost killed Sam, the one person who would fight to the last to protect him.

"Mr. Frodo, are you all right?"

Frodo looked away from the campfire, over at Sam across the way as the stout man gazed back calmly. The other's eyes reflected the firelight, like jewels set in a broad, open face; trusting to Frodo as Sam trusted nothing and no one else. Frodo knew that he didn't deserve that trust, but that was Sam. There was no telling the stubborn hobbit otherwise. "I'm fine, Sam, thank you."

"I've got a bit of stew going," Sam continued, obviously not believing Frodo, but willing to let it lie for the moment.

Frodo smiled honestly and replied, "It smells wonderful."

A pleased grin surfaced face as Sam observed, "It would be better with 'taters, but we'll make do."

Gollum was nowhere to be found, much to Sam's irritation, but Frodo wasn't worried. He knew the creature wouldn't stray far from the Ring. So long as it was on a chain around Frodo's throat, Gollum would be near.

Dinner was a quiet, comfortable affair with just the two of them. The night was soft and warm, for a nice change, and the only sounds those of nature. Frodo could almost believe he was back home, camping out in the Shire with Sam's warm, solid presence at his side.

As they laid out their bedrolls, Frodo hesitated.

Sam immediately picked up on it and asked, "Did you need something, Mr. Frodo?"

Yes, Frodo thought. You to call me just Frodo when neither of us are in trouble. Or the simple pleasure of being held in your arms for no reason at all, instead of being cradled in them because you think that I'm dying.

Shaking the distracting thoughts from his mind, Frodo answered, "No, Sam. I'm fine."

Sam drifted closer, settling a hand firmly on Frodo's hip. His eyes were wide and bright, even in the near, total darkness as he repeated, "Did you need something…Frodo?"

Frodo's breath caught at the unmistakable invitation. It seemed that Sam's possessiveness of him, and the jealousy towards Gollum, perhaps even the distrust of Aragorn at the beginning, had deeper roots than Frodo had suspected. How had he never realized the depths of Sam's feelings with all they'd been through? He suddenly remembered the ready tears falling down Sam's face after pulling the other hobbit into the boat, and how tight Sam had held him directly thereafter.

Leaning forward, Frodo caught Sam's mouth in a short, sweet kiss. Pulling back, he whispered, "When all this is over…"

Sam nodded, resting their foreheads together and promising, "When all this is over."

They stayed like that for a few minutes, then Sam straightened, a happy smile on his face, his naturally cheerful nature firmly back in place. "Come then, Mr. Frodo, time for bed. We've a long day ahead and'll need our sleep."

Frodo watched, bemused, as Sam pitched their bedrolls together. He continued to watch as Sam took over Frodo's blankets and then held up his own in another invitation. "Coming, Mr. Frodo?"

Grinning, his heart full and at peace, at least temporarily, Frodo ducked under the blankets and snuggled into Sam's strong, warm arms. This was his strength, the reason he could continue on the quest to destroy the Ring. Sam was here for him and always would be.

END