Title: "Nights Of A Vagabond King"

Series/Arc: "Arc of Nights", Part 1

Author: Vagabond

Disclaimer: Don't own them, but wish I would! :-)

Pairing: Aragorn/Legolas

Rating: PG 13

Summary: Aragorn comes back to Mirkwood after long travels to find his beloved Legolas missing...

Notes: In this AU Gondor has succumbed to Mordors evil influence generations ago. Humans and Orcs live together peacefully, while Elves and Dwarves are considered 'lesser races' and used as slaves. Gondor rules from South-Gondor up to the old forest road, the Elves of Lorien have left middle-earth and the Elves of Mirkwood hide in the depth of their home. Gondor is at peace with Harad and Umbar.

In this project, different writers will lend their voices to different POV-Characters. Characters taken are: Legolas (Osiris Brackhaus), Boromir (Vagabond), Eomer (Beryll), Aragorn (Vagabond). If you would like to participate, just drop us a line.

Beta: Aj and Beryll - thank you so much!

Feedback: Sure, need it more then chocolate! :-)

Archive: Yes, just ask please!

 

"Arc of Nights 1: Nights Of A Vagabond King" (Aragorn POV)
by Vagabond

I didn't know what I had expected when I stepped into Thranduil's house at this midsummer morning, surely not to be welcomed with open arms. It's been five years now since my last visit to Mirkwood.Nothing has changed, or so it looks from outside. But when I look into the faces of the Elves here, I know in an instant that this isn't true. It's scary to see that they have obviously lost all of their nature-given innocence and all of their joy. It's strange to step into this house and to be not welcomed with singing and laughing. It frightens me. What has happened? I can already feel the fear creeping inside my guts.

I search for Thranduil and find him sitting at the trunk of an impossibly huge and lone-standing withered tree. A tree so huge that it seems to reach the sky.

*

My relation to Thranduil was, let's say, `tense'. It always had been. After all I was merely a human man in his eyes, and to be a Human in our days meant to rob, to plunder and to destroy all that had once belonged to the Elves and Dwarves. Together with the dark hosts of Mordor, the people of Gondor now ruled over Middle-Earth and their reign was bloody and cruel.

I understood that the Lord of Mirkwood wasn't all that enthusiastic that his son and I shared friendly bands. Well, more then that. We are lovers; or rather - we were, before I left Mirkwood to live amongst the Humans again. I needed to see if the rumours were true; about my kind, about slavery and the misery that Gondor caused in the lands of Middle-Earth. I saw that things weren't as bad as I had heard, no - they were far worse! First I felt an intense anger about all that misery but then my heart became heavy with grief, because I couldn't do anything against this suffering but knew that I should.

Like a vagabond I travelled through the conquered lands and no matter whither I came there were blood and tears. The name of Denethor, high king of Gondor, was used as a curse.People dreamed of a time when the lost heir of the old kings would return, a king that united the blood of Humans and Elves in his veins. "It will be a glorious day", they said and told it as a promise to their children when the little ones pleaded for a good night tale. "When the Great King returns", the people said, "he will break the chains of our slavery! When the cruel Denethor and his sons will be slain, then we will walk again with pride!"

I hid my face in my hood. I hid my tears. I knew that the sparkling eyes of these children would never see this promised freedom. For I am Isildur's heir; I am the man they hope for. But I'm no shinning figure, no king in bright armour who will come to their rescue. I'm just Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and I chose to live a secret life. I have no power, no allies, no army and so I will never be their king and save them. And this cost me everything. Once, it cost me the woman I loved.

*

I loved Arwen with all that was in my heart; her beauty enlightened my existence. She was our all Evenstar, a shinning hope in a dark night. My Arwen, she wanted to bind herself to me, to choose a mortal life as my wife. But that wasn't the wish of her father. Elrond, the Lord of Rivendell, became enraged and forbade our love. During the years he had become more and more impatient, for he saw that all his hopes and efforts were doomed to die. I wouldn't climb the throne; too well the claws of Denethor held the sceptre and his sons conquered still more land for him. Faramir, with his wits and political skills, and Boromir, with his sword in hand. Boromir, the Butcher. where the land burned down in painful screams he was, giving his greedy father more and more power.

A great darkness held Middle-Earth in a merciless vice-like grip, and the Dark Lord himself was still hiding in his fortress Barad-Dur. Still he didn't have the power to give himself a new form, still. I didn't want to imagine what would come to us when Sauron would anew appear on this earth.

No, there was no chance that I could change the fate of Middle-Earth's people. And Elrond, exasperated about humankind, forbade me to see Arwen ever again and I had to leave the only real home I ever knew. `Estel' wasn't anymore. I remember his sharp words when Elrond bid me `farewell', his face a mask of stone."All the years I was wrong, I see it now, for there cannot be hope found in a human man! I can't allow my people to lose their shinning star, can't bear to lose my daughter to a weak man without power. I will never allow this! Never come back to my house Aragorn; it isn't your home anymore and you will be not welcomed."

I could see you, my Arwen, standing behind him, softly crying; your eyes were dark and shadowed and so full of sadness. My hand wanted to reach for you but your father was like a wall of fire and hate, invincible and strong. No way to you, my beloved. My Evenstar. both our hearts broke that day.

Young and full of romantic ideas as I was I had no doubt that I would never love somebody so much again. It didn't last long to learn that I was wrong. In Legolas I found anew all of my fire and a lust like I had never known before.

*

Five years among the Humans, five years far away from Mirkwood.

I had learned well from the things that happened around me. But the more I learned about the Men, the more I longed for the silence that I found in the forests and woods; I think I wandered them all. My senses had sharpened for the wilderness; like an Elf I could feel it breathing.

And I had also heard them cry - the trees and plants, the birds and deer, the woods all wept. They wept for their lost children, the Elves that were captured and never came back.

I had heard stories about the Elf-slaves in the cities, but when I saw them for the first time I couldn't hold back the tears that fell from my eyes. To see these beautiful creatures in chains with their pride and free spirit broken by brutal force was something that one could never forget again.

I felt only shame about the men of Gondor, the men I should rule. No, I didn't want to be with them, I didn't want to be `one of them'. Exhausted from my long travels, exhausted from human failure and the pain and sorrow that were caused by it, I decided to go back to Mirkwood, back to Legolas.

I already counted the days until I would see my beloved one again. A smile crossed my dirty face when I imagined him sinking into my embrace. It was too long since I had held my lover, too long that we had loved each other - the thought of him moaning my name winged me and my feet began to move faster.

*

Thranduil's face is blank, but his eyes burn with hate. He doesn't look up when I approach him, but I'm very sure that his elvan senses perceived me.

"The one you search for isn't here anymore." His voice is bitter. Now his eyes have found mine and unconsciously I make a step back when his gaze pierces me with bolts of ice.

"What does that mean?" I hear myself saying, my thoughts are a mess of swirling clouds. "Legolas, is he. dead?" I choke on my own words and I feel my knees getting weak.

With horror I see the ice in Thranduil's eyes melt, it makes his way down his cheeks as small crystal drops of sorrow. The Lord of Mirkwood cries. His sobs are a heart-rending melody of pain.

"Dead.", he says, "I believe so. sometimes I hope for it."

I can't believe what he is saying, Valar what is he trying to tell me? I drop to my knees in front of him and my hands reach for his, holding them tight as if to feel that this isn't a dream. "My lord, what are you telling me? By the Valars what happened to Legolas?" Cold fear is ripping me apart.

Thranduil's hands grasp mine in return and I wince with pain because his grip is hard and unyielding. He spits the words to me, causing me to tremble with horror. "Slave hunters.- Orcs have caught my son. for their `noble' human friends I suppose."

His grip on me is vice-like and I see my face reflected in his pupils, in the centre of his hatred. He sees only the human man in me now. Every word is an accusation, a curse about humankind. Like a sharp blade his speech stabs my heart, leaving me wounded and bleeding.

"You have lived amongst the Humans for the last five years, son of Arathorn, so you will know what they have probably done to my child, do you Aragorn? Tell me how the Humans treat an Elf, what use they may have found in him. Do you believe he will be still alive, human man? Would you wish for him to be still alive in the hands of your kind?"

The trembling of my body becomes a violent shaking by this. My mouth opens a few times, but I can't manage even one word out. Images are overflowing my mind. Images of faded broken elvan bodies in the cities of Men and streams of tears are running from my eyes, blinding me, drowning me.

I think I have screamed in wild despair for my throat feels raw and burning now. I must have had a black-out. the next thing I know is that I'm lying in Thranduil's arms, who soothingly strokes my hair. His eyes are fixed on a nameless point far away. Then I hear him whisper the words that only cause me to cry more.

"I was not fair to you, beloved of my son. It's not your fault; I know your heart cries for him as much as mine." and softly he kisses my forehead, his tears mingle with the wet saltiness on my own face.His pale hand touches the trunk of the tree we lean on and it is as if the tree would answer him, its withered dry branches creak in response.

"Do you know that this tree was planted the day when I was born? Such a long time ago. We share a bond, this tree and I. We share our sorrow as well as our joy, we care for each other like brothers do. You see how withered and ill he is, although he is strong nevertheless. Once he was full of green and lush leaves."

"Green leaf." I whisper, holding my breath, and he nods sadly.

"Yes. You can see it nearly lost all of its former magnificence. All its leaves are gone - like I have lost so many of my people, my children, my ability to feel anything but pain."

And then the Lord of Mirkwood began to sing and his strong voice was like a dreadful thunder and full of his great sadness, pain and sorrow. It made Mirkwood weep with him. Every bird surrounding us stopped his own singing and the sky above became black by near drawing clouds. Harshly the biting sharp breath of an angry storm began to sweep over us and it took away what was too weak to resist.

My hands clenched into fists and I closed my eyes so hard that I thought I wept bloody tears, for no one can stand such an elvan lament born of grief and hate. The Lord of Mirkwood had summoned the magic of his wood and as long as his song lasted they were one, the wood and he. Wild did the trees rustle with rage and I covered my ears in pain when the animals roared with pure agony; my head seemed to burst and my heart was hurting so much that I wanted to rip it from my body with my bare hands. But merciful darkness began to cloud my mind and I drifted into unconsciousness.

When I awoke again the pain was gone. I lay in a soft comfortable bed; the satin sheets pleasantly cool against my skin. I felt strangely refreshed and clear, how long had I been sleeping?

I lie my head back and breathe deeply, filling my lungs with pure and delightful air. I consider sleeping again for awhile, hoping that I will be united with my lover in the fragile woven net of dreams.But I get distract by a sweet and familiar scent in this room, a scent that brings me to full awareness. Having a closer look around I do recognise now that this is Legolas' room and I lie in his bed, in `our' bed. I bury my face in the pillows that still own his scent. How many nights have we spent in this room, in this bed? And how many days? The last thought makes me smile a little and I remember.

*

"Aragorn. come on, wake up you sleepy cat!" he laughs and draws the blanket from me. In answer to his comment I purr and stretch my limbs, yawning with delight.

He giggles and teasingly he tickles the secret spot on my side, he knows I'm absolutely defenceless when I'm tickled there. Immediately I burst into laughing, trying desperately to catch his hands. Of course he does not stop, I have to use my `special trick' on him. Biting back the almost painful laugh I encircle his waist with my strong arms, pulling him down on the bed and above me. His eyes widen in played surprise and then my lips are hungrily on his, my tongue slides nearly all its way in this sweet elvan mouth.

We both have to catch our breath after this and softly our hands begin to touch hot skin before we join our lips in another kiss. Tender this time, we are taking our time. His lips flutter about mine, nibbling gentle the red swollen flesh. A wet warm tongue follows, tracing slowly the curved lines there and then pressing gently to get entrance. Only too eagerly I open my mouth for him, I open my very soul to him and he touches and caresses as if nothing else would exist in this world except for me.

I stroke his body, wriggling my way down to more vulnerable parts of him and all his pleasure becomes my own. I love him so much. Time passes unnoticed and when I hear him cry out with need and see his face enlightened by pleasure I can't remember a moment that was so wholly `perfect', so out of time.

We join our bodies as many men may have before us, but it seems as if the love of flesh was created only for us. We fit so perfectly together, so entirely, we are one, in body as well as in soul - together we reach the peak and indeed it is a little death, losing oneself in a moment of eternity.

~

Afterwards I held him in my arms, deeply inhaling the intoxicate scent of my lover that always enchanted my senses. Joy and happiness tightened my throat and I knew I couldn't bear to ever lose him.

*

My body longs for him so badly, every part of me screams for him. I want to kiss those full lips that hold the sweetness of ripe berries. I want to touch his velvet-soft skin that set my own on fire when we loved each other. I want to bury my face in his long golden hair that smells so wonderfully of roses, and I want to make love to him until the bright moon changes his place with the burning sun.

Valar, we had loved each other so much, desired each other so much. had? I shake my head with grief, no - still I love him, still he is in my heart. He can't be dead, I would know if. I would feel it.

But where are you my love? And what have they done to you? I press my face deeper into the soft pillows to stifle my sobs. Again my thoughts are drifting back, bringing on the memory of my lover, the memory of deep brown eyes .

*
I remember the first time we met as if it was yesterday. Lonely I wandered the woods of Mirkwood, trying desperately to forget my Arwen. Still she seemed to be with me every step I made. The singing of the birds was her laugh, the soft breeze her breath on me, the stars above the sparkle of her eyes. She was with me all the time and I with her - until I heard a soft whimper behind a huge tree.

I was raised among the Elves and know of their beauty, or so I thought, but Legolas took my breath away like no one before and left me totally defenceless.

I was drowning in his deep brown eyes, which were so full of pain for he was badly hurt. Two Orc arrows stuck deeply in his right arm and leg.

I could tell that he had lost a lot of blood. A crimson track went to the place were he lay and I assumed that he must have trailed himself over miles, trying to escape his barbarous persecutors. He seemed to believe that I also was a foe, because his hand clutched one of his sharp elvan blades harder and he made a weak attempt to hit me.

His blades caused me no harm this day, but I was deeply wounded by his beauty and sadness.

Arwen faded from my thoughts and the stars above sparkled now with the fire of deep brown eyes. Slowly I approached him and in a low and soothing voice I could convince him that I didn't mean to hurt him. Still distrustful, but well knowing that he needed help if he wanted to survive, Legolas at last allowed me to touch him.

Maybe I will never be the promised king, but still my hands are those of a healer. As gentle as possible I cared for his wounds, full of sympathy whenever a low moan of pain escaped him. But during all this he spoke not once and so I decided to make the first step.

"May I ask what happened?"

Oh these eyes! Now they were filled with tears, silver elvan tears. Paralysed with fascination I watched motionless as one of these silver glimmering tears escaped him, hanging on soft lashes for a moment before it pearled down over a pale cheek. Without thinking I caught the drop, looking at it with silent amazement as if it was a treasure.

"They took my brother." he whispered, and more crystal tears followed the wet path of the lone drop that I had caught with my forefinger just seconds ago. Now my whole hand rested on his cheek, gently caressing. I felt for him with all my heart.

"We were scouting", he continued with his melodic voice that was only dimmed by little sobs. "We were aware of Orcs, which are roaming our land like the wild beasts they are - destroying our wood, killing our deer and hunting us like animals. My brother and I were sent out to ascertain how many they were."

His brows went together as if he tried to stop the unpleasant thoughts that occupied his mind.

"I. my brother sensed them before I did. Just three Orcs. Just three. He was so full of hate for what these monsters do and he shot before I could stop him. The first Orc was dead in an instant and the second only moments later when my arrow hit him. But the third could call for his companions, or so I think from the noisy words he croaked."

"So more Orcs came to his help." I added.

He nodded. "Yes, more. over a dozen. When we heard their heavy steps we began to run, my brother slightly behind me. I could already hear the flying arrows hitting trees and bushes to our sides, and then they hit my brother."

He nearly broke down then and I didn't hold myself back any longer and took him in my arms, rocking him soothingly like a child. His hands clutched desperately at my tunic and searching for comfort he pressed his wet face to the fabric. Eagerly the material soaked up his tears, leaving traces of prickling heat on my skin.

I thought that he would say nothing more, when he spoke again.

"I think he is dead. I'm sure they wanted us alive, but. he lay so calm. an arrow was in his back, I wanted to help him - I swear that I tried! But he was so calm, I couldn't get him on his feet. and still they were hunting me. There were new arrows and one of them hit me and later another. I had to let him lie there. I couldn't. I swear I tried to save him! I swear it. I swear it."

Like a fluttering wing his soul touched mine and I cried helplessly when I felt his immense pain washing over me. Elves are so fragile - they can die if the mental pain becomes unbearable. I was afraid that this was going to happen, so I did what seemed the only right thing to me - with softly murmured words I tried to calm him down and soothingly my hands caressed his beautiful face. With a sigh he leaned into the touch, his eyes closed and suddenly, before I could consider otherwise, I found myself kissing his trembling lips and could almost feel how my whole world changed.

Perhaps it was my kiss that prevented him from death that day; that's what my lover always said whenever we spoke about our first meeting later on; I would love if it were true.

I remember how I had carried him in my arms the long secret ways through the woods to the house of his father Thranduil. The Lord of Mirkwood was not pleased to see a human man stepping into his home, but still he lived by the old ways. I had rescued his son and by that I earned Thranduil's friendship and reception in his house. So I stayed gladly in Mirkwood for a long time; stayed with Legolas my beloved, until five years ago when I felt the urge to visit the world of my kind again.

It was hard to leave him. I didn't want to, but he couldn't go with me for it was too dangerous for an Elf. And I couldn't stay in Mirkwood any longer; I had to see my kind again, I needed to know what was going on in the lands of Gondor. Needed to see if something had changed. Desperately he tried to hold me back, afraid that I wouldn't come back. Legolas, my beloved, I swore to you that I would always come back to you. That I would not leave you for too long.

*
And now I'm back and the one person my heart longs for isn't here anymore; captured by Orcs for I wasn't there to protect him. Of course I had known that the Elves weren't safe anymore, even the magic of their woods couldn't prevent the Orcs from their brutal assaults. But I always hoped that at least you, my dear one, could live here forever, safe and protected. That you would wait for me until I came home from my journey, home to your arms.

What is my life without you? Without a love to return to when your journey comes to an end? They say, your home is where your heart is. my heart is with you.

I needed no further reason to swear to Thranduil and myself that I would find Legolas. I would find him and bring him back to Mirkwood or I would die in the attempt.

And so I was walking man's road again; wandering with a hurting heart the known places and the unknown, to find my lost love, and every day I pray to the Valar that I will find him alive. Still I can't give him up, still there is hope in me, for hope always has a place in a lover's heart.



~TBC~
(Don't miss the upcoming sequel "Nights of Elvan Tears" by Osiris!)

Note: The line "for hope has a place in a lover's heart" is taken from Enya's song "Hope has a place".