Mind Made Up

By Linda C.

For the 15 minute challenge issued by Peja.

Fandom: LOTR

Rating: R

Pairings: Legolas/Aragorn

Warnings: m/m of course

Spoilers: none

Summary: an ultimatum


Mind Made Up
By Linda C.
======


"I can't take it anymore. You've been sending so many mixed signals I just don't know what you want from me." Legolas broke off, blond head turning away to hide tears. Aragorn moved his hand to touch, then bringing it back as his love jerked away.

"I am sorry, my heart. I know that I have confused you. I am confused myself. My heart was pledged a long time ago to Arwen. She has given up her Immortal life for me. I cannot turn my back on her now."

Legolas turned, snarling as he pushed Aragorn up against the wall. Never had Aragorn seen him like this. Mad like an animal, eyes dark blue and flashing sparks of gold, his Elvin features twisted in rage. And his body responded with a rush of heat to his groin. God, how he wanted this man. His lover. His mate.

"But you can turn it on me, the man who has loved you for over 30 years! Who has forsaken my own family and home to be with you, fight with you, almost die with you? I am that easy to turn away from? I have given up any hope of a family, of having children to carry on my name. I can never claim an Elvin woman for my Consort, we have been too closely linked for years to ever overcome the whispers and rumors. You are my lover. You are my King. I will die before I lose you to another. Even her."

Aragorn tried to push back, tried to take Legolas in his arms. All he received was a hard slap, his face burning from the pain, the first time Legolas had ever struck him. He saw the shock in the blue eyes, the pain as his lover realized what he had done. He reached out, catching the edge of the cloak as it swirled out as Legolas turned to run.

"Don't run from me! I love you. Please don't leave me." He sank to his knees, watching the emotions fly over the Elf's face, finally ending in despair.

"Arwen or me - that is your choice. I will not share you any longer with her. I love you, I want your children growing in me, and I want to live by your side for the rest of our lives. Can you give me that? If you can't, I will leave you forever. Go into the forest and never be seen again. You have one hour." One final look and he was gone, taking Aragorn's heart with him. One hour to make a decision that would change his life, their lives, forever, either way. One hour.

======

Aragorn stood on the wall, watching for Legolas. His bags were packed, his horse ready. His face was a bright red, his left cheek now a ruddy match to his right. Arwen hit like a man when she was angry. He rubbed it ruefully, then turned as he heard the light steps of his lover. Turning he saw the blue eyes take in the bags, the horse, the traveling cloak thrown over Aragorn's shoulders. His eyes glowed in hope, his hand reaching out to take Aragorn's offered one. He drew back as he felt cold metal hit his palm. A ring. A ring of gold, a large crest on the surface. Aragorn's ring. His father's before.

"I thought my Consort should wear a proper ring of betrothal. Will you wear it, my love, my heart? Will you take me as your husband, your mate, the father of your children? Will you wed me, Legolas Greenleaf and be mine forever?" His eyes were damp with tears, his face full of hope as he watched Legolas turn over the ring in his fingers. His heart dropped when it was handed back to him.

"I do believe it is proper if the husband-to-be puts it on the Consort-to-be's finger. Yes, I will be your Consort, bear your children, and be at your side until we leave this Earth. You are mine, I am yours."

Placing the ring on the slender finger, Aragorn kissed the delicate hand, his body remembering all that it could do to him. His Elf, his lover, his heart.

"Come, my love. We are taking a journey. We must leave now if we reach your father by sunset tomorrow." Aragorn smiled as Legolas looked at him with a puzzled look. "I have to ask him for your hand in marriage, my heart. 'Tis only the proper thing to do, after all." He was silenced as an armful of Elf clung to him.

Some choices were no choice at all. His heart and soul had made the decision when Legolas left. He had been owned by the Elf since they had met, his love ensnared, enmeshed, and entangled in Legolas for the rest of his life. He could make no other choice.


End.