Title: Friends and Lovers

Authors: Creed Cascade and TJ

Fandom: Lord of the Rings

Pairing: Aragorn/Legolas, Aragorn/Arwen implied.

Rating: NC-17

Status: new

Archive: If you want it, go ahead. Just knock me upside the head and let me know.

Feedback: creed_cascade@hotmail.com and TazzyJan@aol.com

Other websites: http://insaneasylum.slashfanfiction.com

Disclaimers: We have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. You don't ask where we get these strange plots starring mysteriously familiar characters, and we won't tell you that I make no money, only deliriously happy satisfaction. Very hush-hush.

Notes: Takes place after Return of the King.

Summary: Does love lie where we truly think it does?



FRIENDS AND LOVERS
By Creed Cascade and TJ


Lady Arwen had married Aragorn as she was fated to. He was a good husband, but if people thought the royal couple spent much time together, then they were sadly mistaken. She saw him during evening meal because he made an effort to see his bride. During the day he busy with the mundane and time consuming running of his recovering kingdom. He woke early in the morning and was reviewing scrolls petitioning for royal help even as he ate his first repast of the day.

Gondor and the kingdoms of men were relying on him to rebuild the damage from the war. His story had not ended the day he was crowned, but only begun. Arwen was not suited to handle the strange whims and troubles of men, so she left that to her husband. She at his side during evening meal in the great hall and spent a few quiet moments with him afterwards. He was always sweet and she knew that Aragorn was devoted to her, but some members of the court had started to whisper. The Queen was not the constant companion and council to the King, instead that was Prince Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood.

Arwen was not stupid. She knew the kinds of things that went on between males, especially warriors. That did not overly concern her. What did concern her, however, were the rumours that were starting to spread. She considered any disparaging remarks made about Aragorn to be about her as well and took great offence.

And so she found herself entering the inner sanction of her husband. They kept separate chambers because Aragorn said he did not wish to disturb her, and, also, it was tradition. Gondor kept the Queen’s quarters deeper inside the protective heart of the palace, near the royal children’s wing. That way if something happened to the King, then the royal family would have a chance to escape. They guards were obviously surprised as she swept inside in her best gowns, only to see Aragorn bent over a table with Legolas pressed again his side and examining the same scroll.

"Arwen? What is it?" Aragorn asked, as surprised as his guards by her sudden entrance.

“I just wanted to see my husband,” she answered with a soft smile. Then she looked at Legolas and nodded at him politely. “Greeting, Legolas.”

"Greetings, Lady Arwen," Legolas replied smoothly. "Perhaps I should give you and the King some privacy? I will be in my chambers, Aragorn." Legolas bowed slightly to both Aragorn and Arwen and left. He wondered what the lady wanted but he knew Aragorn would tell him once they were alone.

“It must be nice having your dearest council so close,” Arwen said as Legolas left the room. She knew that Legolas had his chambers next door to Aragorn’s and there was even an adjourning door under the guise of Legolas being able to protect Aragorn if needed.

"It is," Aragorn agreed. "Why, my wife, do I sense there is more to that statement than what there seems to be?" He knew Arwen well, almost as well as he knew his "other elf". He could tell there was something on her mind simply from the way she was standing.

“Yes, I have some things that we should discuss,” Arwen said. She moved closer, but still kept he hand delicately clasped at her waist. “I did not think it was appropriate to discuss during evening meal where others in the court might here. I did not think it even appropriate to discuss during our evening walks in the garden.”

"Then why don't we retire to my private chamber?" Aragorn suggested. "You know no one will disturb us there." He was starting to worry. Arwen normally said what she wanted. When she started to draw things out like this it usually meant she was going to tell him something he didn't want to hear.

Arwen held her hand out and glided along the floor as Aragorn led him into his inner chamber. Even when they had slight disagreements, they were always civil beyond repute to one another. Living amongst elves, he had learned that they valued etiquette and comportment as a form of respect.

Arwen entered the room and sat upon the couch near the bed. She watched Aragorn secure the door, making doubly sure no one would disturb them. As she glanced about the room, she saw a bow and quiver that could only belong to Legolas leaning against the wall near the head of the bed.

“I suspect the Prince of Mirkwood does not close an eye at night without his bow and quiver nearby,” Arwen said, bending her hand towards the items. “Or his King, I doubt.”

"You would be right," Aragorn conceded. "And I sleep much the sounder for it. Arwen, is there something you dislike about my friendship with Legolas?"

“Legolas is a fine elf,” Arwen said. “I do not hold this against you, my husband, as my own father did the same in his time, but men do not understand the ways of elves. Members of our court do not understand why a King such as yourself would take such a companion.”

"I see," Aragorn said. And he did. He wasn't blind. He'd seen the looks from members of his court and he had heard their whispers. So had Legolas, but they had chosen to ignore them, hoping time would still the wagging tongues.

“I am concerned…” Arwen started. “You are still a new ruler and as the glory of victory wears off, people will look to you for perfection to outshine their mundane, everyday lives.”

"And am I to sacrifice my happiness for them?" Aragorn asked with a sigh. "I gave much and will still give more if it is asked of me, but I will not give this. I cannot, Arwen..."

“If you will not think of yourself, then think of your future son,” Arwen interrupted him softly, not raising her voice.

“Tell me, my lady, what would you have me do?” Aragorn asked. He dreaded the coming answer, knowing he could never give up his Mirkwood Prince. He had lost so much in the war, so many comrades. Now that it was finally over, he could not stand for Legolas to be far from his side.

“I would ask for more discretion,” Arwen answered simply. “The way he looks at you… any fool could tell he loves you more than merely a King or comrades in arms. It would be wise if he returned to Mirkwood and his own people, but that is not an option, is it?”

"No," Aragorn replied truthfully. "Not unless I was to return there with him. I care deeply for you, Arwen, but he owns my soul. I will not be parted from him in this life."

“I thought I had your soul once…” Arwen said wistfully and looked away. The truth was she had turned away from her journey to the Undying Lands not for Aragorn, but for the son fate promised her. Elves had so few children during this generation, that any offspring was a blessing. “You will need to spend more time with me, Estel.”

Aragorn looked away, shamed by what he perceived as his betrayal of Arwen. The heart however, loved where it willed and his belonged to his silver haired elf. "I'm sorry," he said. Turning back, he reached out and took her hand. "I *will* spend more time with you. I am not unaware of how much my Queen desires a son."

“Our son,” Arwen correct him, but not with malice. She yearned to have this man’s child. If she could not own his heart, then she desired a child of his blood who would love her unconditionally. “And spending time with your wife may quell some of the rumours.”

"Agreed, though if I have made it sound like a hardship, that was not my intent," he replied. "I have always enjoyed spending time with you, my lady."

“And I you, my lord,” Arwen returned, rising from the seat. “Now you had best let Legolas in before he scares the guards away.”

Aragorn stood and walked her to the door. He smiled at her and kissed her lips lightly. "I will take what you have said to heart and speak to Legolas. We will try to be a bit more discreet from now on."

He watched Arwen sweep from the room and followed after her. He found Legolas waiting out in hall. To anyone else, his stoic face might have appeared cold, but Aragorn knew that his love was worried by the look in his eye and slight tilt of his eyebrow.

A single shake of his head was enough to convey his message. They would speak of this later. For now, there were duties to attend to. He watched Legolas give a slight nod of understanding and agreement and felt a swell of pride for his love. Legolas trusted him without question and would follow his lead.

*

It was evening, after hours of tedious work concerning rebuilding burn villages, before Aragorn was able to stop. His head ached from all the details that could seem diminutive on paper, but could affect the lives of hundreds. He felt Legolas briefly trace a finger down his temple.

“You are in pain again, Estel,” Legolas said softly.

"Yes," the King replied wearily. "But this must be planned out to the smallest detail. At least I have you working with me. I think I might go mad if I had to suffer through this alone."

“I shall always be with you,” Legolas said. He was already pulling Aragorn away from the table and towards his private chambers. “It is time to put this aside. Evening meal is upon us and you need to dress for your lady wife.”

One of the quirks Aragorn loved about Legolas was his meticulous nature of an elf. Aragorn was the kind of man who would often forget to bathe and even eat when it came to work. Legolas was forever pulling him away from work to remind him to bathe, eat and change his clothes. He also preformed the duties normally a royal valet would, dressing the King. Aragorn had at first protested that this was below an elf of royal lineage, but Legolas had quieted him with one look.

"Let me attend you, my King," Legolas whispered into his ear. He let his breath ghost across it, sending a shiver down Aragorn's spine. "You know I am the only one who can give you what you truly need."

“Legolas…” Aragorn moaned, closing his eyes. Only Legolas could make him forget that he was the King of Men. He ran his palms over Legolas’ silk clad chest. Now that they were at court, his elf’s true style was allowed to flourish with unlimited access to the royal seamstresses. Aragorn loved the tight, high-necked tunics that Legolas favoured, but he appreciated the form fitting leggings under them. He reached up and traced the silver circlet on his head.

"Yes, my King?" Legolas replied, grinning. He did so enjoy teasing his love. Tonight, however, he planned to make him forget about all this work and simply feel.

“I am not your King,” Aragorn told him adamantly. “I am just yours.”

"You will always be my King," Legolas told him. "You are the only one I will ever bow my head for, love. Were you not my lover, I would still declare you my King, for you have earned it."

“What did I do to deserve you?” Aragorn whispered reverently, reaching out and starting to undo the clasps on Legolas’ tunic.

“You were born…” Legolas answered.

"Legolas," Aragorn whispered the name reverently, as if it were a prayer. To him, it was. It was his prayer for the future. Though his life was longer than that of a normal man, he knew he would one day leave this mortal realm. His only regret would be that he was leaving his beloved behind.

“You think too much,” Legolas chided him, noting the soft look of sorrow in his lover’s eyes. He finished undressing Aragorn, running his hands over the well-developed muscles. Aragorn had not stopped training now that he was the King and it showed. Legolas would soon have to send his lover to sit in front of his court and beside his wife. Loving him like this was a way to bond them together even more before he had to let him go.

"And yet my thoughts all seem to be of you," Aragorn replied. He grasped Legolas and pulled him down atop him. He kissed him, hard and fast, letting the passion he felt for the elf come through.

“What do you wish?” Legolas asked the very words he often posed during their time in the Fellowship. During those dark nights, they would find comfort in each other’s arms, but always Legolas asked for permission.

"You, my beautiful elf Prince," Aragorn replied. "I wish you to take me. Give me something to think of while I am away from you."

Now it was Legolas who kissed Aragorn. That was all he needed to hear. There was no rank between them now. It came down to Aragorn’s desire and whatever he desired, Legolas would give it to him.

They made their way to Aragorn's private chamber and he locked the door once more. When he turned back to the bed, he was rewarded with the sight of his already naked lover laying out the oil they used. His body shivered at the thought of what they were about to do, longing for it. Arwen may have been right about being more discreet but he had meant it when he'd said he could not give up his elf.

The love making between them did not have the sad, desperate nature it once did during the war. It was comfortably familiar and yet it was new every time. Neither could get enough of their favourite body parts. Legolas knew that Aragorn loved the tip of his ears.

"Will you mark my ears again?" Legolas asked breathlessly as Aragorn nibbled on the sensitive flesh. The last time they had made love, Aragorn had bitten him hard, leaving a bruise on his ear for all to see. He had received a number of pointed looks but he had ignored them, proud of the mark his king had bestowed upon him.

“I… I should not,” Aragorn muttered. He wanted nothing more than to mark Legolas, even though it would fade all to quickly with Elven healing. “We need to be more careful, my love.”

Legolas stilled for a brief second, taken aback by his love's hesitancy. "Of course," he managed to reply, kissing Aragorn deeply in the hopes of covering his initial reaction. He would do nothing to add to his King's burden, if he could help it.

“We shall talk about it later tonight,” Aragorn sighed. “I promise.”

"As you wish," Legolas responded. "I trust you in all things, love." With that, he pulled Aragorn into another kiss and pushed his hips forward against the other man's. He wanted to give Aragorn this pleasure before they had to part for the day.

It took only scant preparation before Legolas was ready to push into Aragorn. It was only in the luxury of the palace that they had been able to explore all aspects of their relationship. During the quest, it had been quick encounters, but Legolas knew Aragorn relished in the attention.

"Yes..." Aragorn hissed as Legolas breached his body. He felt the stretch and burn, enjoying the slight pain as his lover slid home. He stayed still as Legolas entered him fully, not starting to move until the elf had established a rhythm. Soon, Aragorn was moaning loudly as he pushed back to meet his lover's thrusts.

Legolas started to murmur to Aragorn softly in elvish, knowing how he loved it. In their most intimate times, Legolas also called him Estel, not because he was the hope for mankind, but because he was Legolas’ hope.

"Legolas!" Aragorn cried out loudly, unable to stifle himself as his orgasm overtook him. This was the reason they had refrained from this act while on the quest. Short of gagging him, there was no way for him to hold the pleasure inside. A moment later, he heard the soft murmur that signalled his lover's release and he groaned once more when he felt the hot seed filling his body.

Legolas carefully slipped from his lover’s body and lay down upon Aragorn. Aragorn wrapped his arms around Legolas’ slim waist and held him tight. “It never ceases to amaze me how such fey creatures can hold such strength,” Aragorn said as his hand shifted to caress Legolas’ ass.

"I feel the same about the race of Man. How can such brutish creatures at times be so graceful," Legolas teased.

Aragorn looked out the window and noted by the position of the sun that it would soon be time for the evening meal. “I will have to dress as you see fit. It will be time to go soon,” he said. He let Legolas deal with his tailors and select his outfits.

"The Lady Arwen was here earlier. Perhaps it would be good if you dressed in the colour your wife preferred. She did not seem angry, but I have known her long enough to know that something was amiss."

“I would dress in the colour that you prefer,” Aragorn insisted. “As my wardrobe reflects your tastes, not my wife’s. She was not angry, but came to discuss certain rumour circulating around the court.”

"Rumours about our relationship, I take it?" Legolas asked. No wonder Aragorn hadn't wanted to mark him so visibly. Like Arwen, he would not stand for his King being gossiped about. He didn't mind if they whispered about him, but Aragorn was another matter entirely.

“Yes,” Aragorn confirmed. “I do not see the problem. My own ancestors commonly had consorts with marriages not born out of love.”

"Yet they were not commonly of the same sex, much less of the race of Elves," Legolas said softly. He had never imagined that his place here could be damaging to Aragorn. He would have to take care from now on. He would not have his actions affecting the way the people viewed their King.

“That does not matter to me,” Aragorn growled. “I would declare you my consort before the entire court if I did not fear for the safety of those I protect.”

"Do not speak of such things, Estel," Legolas said, aghast. "You would be throwing away all you have worked so hard for. I would not allow it. I... I will leave first. I am still welcome in my father's house. He would not turn me away."

Aragorn moved quickly, flipping Legolas beneath him and looming over him. “You will not leave me!”

"Never by choice, my beloved," Legolas confirmed. "But I will not allow you to throw away all you have worked for, nor will I let you place the Lady Arwen in such danger. I love you with all my heart and I would gladly sacrifice my life's blood in your name."

Aragorn moved down to kissed Legolas almost violently. He poured his desperation into the kiss, trying to make his Legolas understand.

"I know, my love. I know," Legolas whispered between kisses. He had not meant to upset his lover so, but he would not let him behave so recklessly. To declare him a true consort would be an offence to his people. Legolas would not allow it.

“I would give up my kingdom for you,” Aragorn growled. “For I never wanted it, but I always wanted you.”

"Oh, love," Legolas whispered as he brushed his fingers along Aragorn's cheek. "Let us speak no more of this. We are together and we have vowed to remain together. That is all that truly matters."

“I would take you to the feast and have you sit at my side,” Aragon said. It was tradition of the court the Queen sat the side of her husband and the other side was always reserved for the member of court in highest favour and in honour. He always saved that seat for different members of court to keep tempers at a minimum and visiting dignitaries. Legalos preferred to take a quiet meal in his rooms. Besides, the evening meal was supposed to be his time with his wife, but now he wanted all to see Legolas was under his protection.

"I am not sure that is wise, my King," Legolas replied. "Arwen has only just cautioned you to discretion. There are those that consider me little more than your Elven whore. Placing me in such a prominent position would likely anger some."

“Never let those words cross over your lips again!” Aragorn hissed. “You are no one’s whore!”

"Be calm, Aragorn," Legolas soothed. "They are few and they do not make themselves heard often, but they *are* there. I merely wanted you to be aware of them and to understand why I did not think it wise to join you."

Aragorn nuzzled his face against Legolas’ neck. Legolas was the only one who really could calm the King. Not every one hated him. In fact, the staff and council noticed how temperamental Aragorn was if Legolas was ever away from him. If there was any bad news to be told, they usually told Legolas first so he could tell the King.

“I will have to go to my wife more,” Aragorn murmured against Legolas’ skin. He had save this part until the last, not wanting to tell him. “She wants a son.”

"As is her right," Legolas replied past the lump in his throat. It was the one thing he feared about the Lady Arwen. She had the power to give Aragorn the only thing he could not... a child. "I will abide, my love. Do not fear."

“It is hard to… perform,” Aragorn told him.

"I... I do not know how I might help you with that," Legolas replied. "Remember your love for her and the passion you once felt. She is quite lovely, after all." Legolas felt his heart twist inside him as he tried to council his lover on laying with his wife. To actually tell Aragorn to remember the passion he once felt for another felt like the most wrong thing he had ever done.

“My passion?” Aragorn chuckled softly. “I suppose I never discussed this with you, but I should have. My passion for the Lady Arwen was that a child who had grown up with her as a shining star in his presence. She was part mother and part sister to me. I do not love easily and I confused that love with the love for my beloved until I met you.”

"But you have lain with her before," Legolas replied. "Perhaps you should remember those times. I am sure the Lady is quite an inspiring sight. I do not think you will find it much of a problem."

“I only came to her after I had been with you,” Aragorn admitted to him. “It was the only way I could…”

"As you wish, my King," Legolas said without emotion. He had sworn to do whatever was necessary to ensure Aragorn's happiness. If that meant, being with him then sending him straight to the bed of another, he would do so.

“It is only for a son,” Aragorn said. He felt so guilty and yet he could think of no other way. “I am a weak man…”

"You are the strongest man I have ever known," Legolas countered. "And it is her right, as your Queen. Besides, is it not customarily the duty of the Royal Courtesan to ensure that his King can perform?"

Aragorn cupped Legolas’ face with his hand. “You are not the Royal Courtesan. You are my closest council and consort. Your advice guides me and your love keeps me from giving up hope.”

*

Legolas had was just building up the fire in his quarters when there was a soft knock at his door. This was normally his quiet time and few would think to disturb him now. Frowning, he went to the door, keeping one hand on the long-bladed knife he still carried.

When he opened the door, he saw the Lady Arwen standing outside of his chambers. “I need to speak with you,” she said quietly.

"Of course," Legolas replied, stepping aside to allow her in. He closed the door behind her and, after a moment's hesitation, locked it as well. "I did not think you would want to be interrupted."

“It is done and he is sleeping,” she replied simply. “The evening meal was tense. Did you know he left the seat next to him empty?”

Legolas shook his head. "He had asked me to join him but I thought it... unwise," he replied.

“Perhaps,” Arwen said and seated herself on a nearby chaise. “Or perhaps I have been approaching these rumours the wrong way. His devotion to you is unmistakeable and I believe his guilt is overwhelming. For all we love him, he is a man and not an elf. He is haunted by shame of men.”

"I know," Legolas replied, sitting down next to her. "I have chosen to ignore the whispers, but if you have another suggestion. His burden is great enough already, I would not add to it."

Arwen reached out and took Legolas’ hand. “My father had a companion such as yourself after my mother left for the undying lands. You know I do not hold any resentment toward you. Maybe would be wise if we present a united front to these humans.”

"And how would we go about that?" Legolas asked. "Were I female it would be easy to declare me his consort but humans have such strange views of males lying together."

“I would not let you be declared consort if you were female,” Arwen told him. Elves were not prone to jealously, but it was not completely unknown. “I would not share him with another female. I will be the only one to bear his children.”

"I meant no insult, M'Lady," Legolas said quickly. "I was only stating that things would be easier. But tell me, what is this idea you have?"

“That we become friends,” Arwen suggested. “Not only to quell the rumours, but to support our Estel. He is almost too much man to be loved by only one.”

"I would like nothing more," Legolas smiled softly. "It would be an honour to count you among those few I can call friend."

Arwen patted his hand and smiled at him. “Good, now go to him. He was already restless in his sleep and looking for you unknowingly.”

Legolas stood and bowed to the woman he now considered his Queen. "Thank you, my Queen. I will watch over him as he slumbers."

*

Legolas watched over Aragorn as he slept. Aragorn truly did sleep restlessly and needed to be coaxed back into slumber. He had the weight of the world on his shoulders and that troubled him even in his dreams. He also clung to Legolas desperately as he slept, as if begging him not to leave.

Finally, as the coming dawn began to lighten the sky, Aragorn began to stir. Legolas let him come awake slowly, relishing the feel of strong arms wrapped protectively around him. Though he was a more than capable warrior in his own right, that did not mean he didn't enjoy feeling safe and secure in the arms of his love.

“You are clothed,” Aragorn mumbled gruffly. He was not the brightest person right after waking. He loved waking up with Legolas naked in his arms and it was a small delight to tease the elf with his whiskers.

"You were already asleep when I joined you," Legolas explained. "You were so restless I did not even want to take the time to undress before I lay down with you. Aragorn... I spoke with Arwen..."

“What did she say to upset you?” Aragorn asked, immediately jumping to Legolas’ defence, rather than his wife.

"She did not upset me, love," Legolas assured him. "We discussed the current situation and the lady came up with a plan."

“A plan?” Aragorn asked uneasily. He had a nervous feeling that the elves in his lives had decided his future yet again.

"Yes, my dear sweet human, a plan." The gleam in Legolas' eyes was unmistakable and he enjoyed watching Aragorn start to sweat. "The Lady seems to think we should present a unified front. Let them know that the elves are sticking together. She hopes that will quell the worst of the rumours."

“And how exactly would you present this… united front?” Aragorn asked warily.

"By strengthening our friendship. Let them see us as friends and confidants. Maybe that will show them that Arwen does not perceive me as a threat to her position."

“My wife… and my lover, friends?” Aragorn repeated. “I’m not sure that is wise.”

"Too late, my love," Legolas laughed. "We have already begun. It was she that told me you were in your chambers and that your sleep was not peaceful. Be assured, Aragorn, we both take your well-being very seriously."

“But you are both very beautiful,” Aragorn said, his insecurity coming into play. “To spend so much time with another elf…”

"My King, do you honestly believe I would betray you with your own wife?" Legolas asked, the hurt in his voice plain to hear.

“No, but… but,” Aragorn was at a last for words. “I cannot help but feel, apprehensive in my own appeal to you both.”

"You are the *only* one I desire. Even the lovely Evenstar does not tempt me. If it please you, there are... devices... that can be worn to assure my fidelity..."

“Now you make me smile,” Aragorn told him, reaching out and stroking Legolas’ face. “You are right to mock my insecurity. Even the idea of an elf, such as yourself, in such a device is amusing. I was foolish, please forgive me?”

"You are forgiven," Legolas smiled. "Though there are such devices and if it would ease your mind, I would bear it for you."

“Quite teasing this foolish human,” Aragorn said, tweaking the tip of Legolas’ ear. Elf humour was often dry and subtle if you weren’t used to it. “I would not want or think of that. But now that I am awake and have at least have of my brain back, I think it would be wise if you spent time with Arwen. Not that I do not enjoy Elvish poetry or gardening, but…”

"Now the truth comes out," Legolas teased. "I am boring you. Well, since I do not wish to lose my royal status here, I must endeavour to find something more... exciting... to share with you."

“You can share such artistic burdens with Arwen now,” Aragorn moaned dramatically and flopped back onto the pillow. Only Legolas really saw this playful side of the King. “I am much more suited to playing with your sword.”

"Really?" Legolas replied, quirking a single eyebrow. "And here I was hoping to get to play with yours this morning. Would you like that, my King? Would you like to feel me... handling... your sword?"

Aragorn laughed deeply and the rare sound was music to Legolas’ ears. He reached down and grabbed his own erection. “Why yes, I believe I need assistance.”

"Never let it be said that I didn't not aide my King in his time of need." With that, Legolas swooped downward and took Aragorn into his mouth as deeply as he could.

“Legolas…” Aragorn moaned deeply arching his back up.

Legolas took his lover's flesh in even deeper. He hummed softly, sending vibrations up and down the length of it. He knew how much Aragorn enjoyed that particular sensation and was rewarded when he thrust up hard, nearly ramming his entire phallus down the elf's throat.

Aragorn might have made love to both Legolas and Arwen yesterday, but he was only thinking of Legolas now. He worshiped that beautiful and talented mouth. This had been his favourite act as they made their lonely way on the Fellowship.

As Legolas pleasured Aragorn, he reached down and took his own rigid member in hand. He began to stroke in time with the movements of his mouth on his lover. He could feel the orgasm approaching in Aragorn and sought to join him in his release.

“It is the small moments like this that makes me realize how much I love you,” Aragorn said afterwards. “You make me laugh, no one else can do that like you.”

"You are my life and I love you," was all Legolas replied.

Aragorn kissed him softly. “Well, my love, I wish we could lie about in bed all day, but the King has duties. I must dress and get started on the new trade agreements…”

“You would forget to eat with out me, Estel, I swear,” Legolas chided. “You will bathe and dress in the blue tunic I laid out for you. Then, you shall wait me to bring you back your first meal of the day before you tackle and trade agreements.”

*

Legolas always used the less traveled corridors to move about the palace. He preferred them, even if some of them did take him a bit longer. His Elven speed more than made up the distance and there was less chance of running into anyone he didn't want to see. As he rounded the corner leading to the kitchen, he stopped, surprised to find four of Aragorn's men blocking the way.

“Move aside,” Legolas said simply. “I am on an errand for the King.”

When the men didn't move, he stepped forward, intent on pushing past them. Before he could take more than a single step, however, several more men came up behind him, effectively cutting off any means of escape.

Legolas did not have his sword or other weapons, only a hunting knife on his belt. “I said move aside,” Legolas insisted, pulling out his knife.

"I don't think so, elf-slut," one of the men replied. His hand went to his own belt and he pulled out a small club. Legolas saw another of the men do the same and realized he was in more danger than he had thought.

“We’re here to rid the King of you!” Another man growled.

He lunged forward, hoping to get past them and to the relative safety of the kitchen. He didn't make it. He felt the small knife sink into one of his attackers but it couldn't do enough damage. Before he could make another attempt, a club crashed into the back of his head, sending him staggering forward.

One of his attackers threw out a rope and it landed around his neck. They had seen the elf in the battle and if he could take on orcs, he was not to be taken lightly, even though he looked slight. As Legolas felt the rope tighten around his neck, half a dozen men rushed him and started to beat him with heavy clubs.

As the rope tightened, he was forced to leave his body defenceless to strain against it. He had to use both hands to pull to get even the slightest amount of air. As the beating continued, he tried to distance himself from the pain. Blow after blow slammed into his body. No part of him was spared though the tended to concentrate their attack on his ribs and groin.

It was the cries of several men that stopped the beating. Three men fell to the floor with arrows embedded in their midsections. Arwen was standing in the middle of the corridor, her robes fluttering around her and a bow draw tightly in her hands. “Step away from the Prince,” she said in a dangerously clear voice. “Or more of you shall die.”

With his tormentors no longer holding him up, Legolas fell to the floor. He clutched weakly at the rope still tight around his neck, but his strength had all but fled. He felt the world start to darken and wondered if this was what it felt like to die. Then consciousness left him and he knew no more.

*

“Do not leave me,” Legolas heard Aragorn sobbing continuously. He had never heard his King and love cry before.

He tried to force his eyes to open, but he simply could not. He wished desperately that he could give his King some sign. He could feel the Halls of Mandos beckoning, but he fought against the lure. He knew he would only be returning to pain and fear, but he could not bare to leave his beloved.

“He has to live, he’s immortal,” Aragorn said to Arwen.

"Even immortals can perish," Arwen said sadly. She was seated on the bed beside Legolas and gently brushed he hair from his face. "He will stay with you if he can, but the damage done to him was great."

“I will not live with out him,” Aragorn said. “If I die with him, then you must rule in my place.”

"No, my husband," Arwen said softly. "If you choose to leave with him then I shall join my people in the undying lands. I will not rule the savages capable of such an act. I am sorry."

“Would he be able to survive the trip to the undying lands?” Aragorn asked.

"No," Arwen said sadly, knowing what her husband was thinking. Even if he could survive it, she would never force such a thing on Legolas. She knew he would rather die here, with Aragorn, and then travel on without him.

“I could go with you both,” Aragorn continued his argument.

"You would leave your kingdom behind?" she asked.

“Yes,” Aragorn answered, leaning over and kissing Legolas’ forehead.

"Very well," Arwen replied. "If he lives through the night then he should be strong enough for the trip. To move him now would surely kill him. We must wait and see."

“I shall not leave his side,” Aragorn declared. “Ever.”

"I know," Arwen said simply. "If you do not mind, I would like to wait with you." She would understand if Aragorn wanted time alone with his love. She was deeply concerned for the elf and wished to be there both for him as well as the distraught King.

“Please stay and sing, Evenstar,” Aragorn said. He used the name he had called her during childhood, for now he was his friend above all else. “Maybe your voice can draw him back.”

"If your love does not draw him back, nothing will, but I will sing to soothe your pain," she replied. A moment later the room was filled with the sound of her quiet song as they waited for Legolas to come back to them.

*

Legolas woke and moved his hand out to pet Aragorn’s head. He knew his love was sleeping, but turned his eyes to Arwen perched on end of the bed. “He called me back,” he managed to croak out.

"I am glad," she said softly, not wanting to wake Aragorn. He had fallen asleep less than an hour ago from sheer exhaustion. "He has been by your side since the attack. He would not leave."

Legolas reached down and squeezed Aragorn’s shoulder. “I did not leave you, love,” he said hoarsely.

Aragorn felt a touch on his shoulder and came awake with a start. His first thought was that Legolas had finally crossed over and Arwen was waking him to tell him the news. He looked about frantically until his eyes fell on his beloved. It took him a moment to realize his love was looking back at him and when he did, Aragorn surged upward and pressed his lips to those of the elf.

“Easy, Estel,” Arwen cautioned him. “He is still injured.”

Aragorn pulled back immediately and contented himself with gripping Legolas' hand tightly. "I thought... I thought Arwen was waking me to tell me... to tell me that you'd left me..."

“I said I would never leave you,” Legolas told him. “I promised.”

"I knew you would not willingly go," Aragorn assured him. "And even if you had left, I would have swiftly followed. I will not be separated from you, my love. Not even by death."

“I know, and that is why I returned to you,” Legolas answered. It was still hard to breathe.

"Be still, Legolas," Arwen said, noticing his distress. "He needs to rest, Aragorn. He is barely able to speak."

“He is alive,” Aragorn said. “When will the Elven healers be here that we sent for?”

"By this evening," Arwen said as she rose from the bed. "Now lay down beside him so you both can rest. My most trusted guards are at these doors. None will enter here to harm him. And if they try, my bow and I will be in the next room."

“Thank you again for watching over him,” Aragorn told her. “I should have been there.”

"It is my handmaiden you should thank," Arwen said with a shudder. "She heard them talking and ran to find me. It was because of her I got there in time to keep them from killing him."

Legolas made an impatient and tired sound. He used some of his last strength to tug on Aragorn’s sleeve.

"Lay with your mate, my husband. You are well protected here." Arwen left the room then, drawing the doors closed behind her. The only way into the King's private chamber was through this antechamber. Anyone trying to get to Legolas was going to have to go through her to do it.




A few months later…

“Stop fussing, Legolas,” Arwen chided him as the elf tugged at the formal robes. The outfit was far more elaborate than he preferred to wear. “The royal tailors spent a long time perfecting them to Aragorn’s specifications.”

"Why do men wear such things?" he complained for the hundredth time. Personally, he couldn't wait for this whole business to be over so he could get back into something more comfortable.

“Because it inspires awe and shows off their wealth,” Arwen told him. “Aragorn wants them to be in awe of your beauty and privilege.”

"Are you certain this is wise, Arwen?" Legolas asked quietly. The attack had been months ago and still he lived with its shadow over him. He could not bring himself to trust the humans here, save for the few closest to him and Arwen.

“There is no one left who can hurt you,” Arwen told him. Aragorn had made sure of that. All of the men who dared hurt Legolas were dead.

"Do not be so sure of that, my Queen," Legolas replied. "He may have gotten the loud ones, but he did not get all of them. There are still those that would rather see the King rid of his Elven whore for good."

“And we shall face those adversaries as together,” she told him. “And you should not fret over that or the way you look. You are not the one who will soon look like an oliphant.”

"You will be as radiant in your pregnancy as you are in all things," Legolas told her, kissing her on the cheek. "Though I will insist you be more careful during this time. When not with myself or the King, I would prefer one of your personal guard be with you."

“I am not a delicate flower, Legolas, I will not wilt,” Arwen told him with a smile. Legolas had become very protective of her since she announced she was pregnant. He was also much happier because Aragorn no longer had to share her bed.

"Arwen, know this, if anything were to happen to your or the child you carry, I would see this entire kingdom leveled." There was no heat behind his words but they rang true all the same. There was no doubt the elf would do just that if anyone dared touch her or her child.

There was a knock on the door and after Arwen called out that they could enter, her handmaiden announced, “The King awaits you in the thrown room, my Lady. He is very nervous.”

"Then we shall not keep him waiting any longer," Arwen said. "Are you ready, Legolas?"

“I still do not see the need for all the fuss and revelry,” Legolas came close to complaining. “But yes, I am ready.”

"Come, let us go to Aragorn before he dies of nervousness." She took his arm and allowed him to escort her toward the thrown room. She understood Legolas' worries but she would not allow this to go on any longer. He was the King's consort and deserved to be acknowledged as such.

Gandalf was in the throne room to perform a ceremony that had not been performed since the time of Aragorn’s ancient ancestors. The hobbits were in attendance, looking uncomfortable in their formal attire. Even Gimli was there and had threatened last night to bash in anyone’s head that dared speak against ‘the damn silly elf’.

Legolas was touched that they'd all made the trip just for him. He knew how busy they all were, still putting to rights everything that Sauron had tried to destroy. He smiled fondly when he saw Gimli and left Arwen's side to greet his friends.

“I told Aragorn that he’d better be good to you, elf,” Gimili said stiffly, with a soft huff of his beard.

"Aragorn is always good to me," Legolas replied. He clasped Gimli on the shoulder and squeezed lightly. "Thank you for coming, my friend. It does my heart good to see you again, as it does for all of you. Thank you for making the journey here."

“We brought you some proper food from the Shire, Mr. Legolas,” Sam said in way of a greeting. Hobbits always gave gifts of food at a wedding.

"Thank you, Samwise," Legolas said sincerely. "And it's just Legolas. You have no idea how glad I am to see all of you. I have missed you so these last few months." It was true. During his recovery and even afterwards, he had found himself thinking of the Fellowship and longing for their company. He had kept the desire to himself, though. How Aragorn and Arwen found out was beyond him, but he was too grateful to care.

“You look nice and shiny for your wedding day…” Merry said and then stopped when Pippin elbowed him. “What am I supposed to call it then Pippin?”

Legolas laughed. "It's alright, Merry. You can call it that if you wish. It's not truly a wedding day, as Aragorn is already wed to the Lady Arwen. I am merely his consort and the declaration is simply a formality."

Merry leaned closer and Legolas had to kneel to listen to him. “Frodo and Sam have a similar arrangement now that Sam is married. We understand and wish you all the best.”

"Thank you, my friend. Your wishes warm my heart." He stood then and scanned the room for Aragorn. He saw him standing at the front of the room with Arwen by his side and his stomach clenched for a moment. // That will never be me. // he thought sadly, then pushed the thought away. He refused to indulge in self-pity, especially in front of the Fellowship.

Aragorn saw Legolas and his breath caught. The elf was absolutely stunning in the silver tunic with jade accents. He was beautiful beyond belief and he moved from his spot towards Legolas. It was Gandalf’s hand on his shoulder that stopped him. “Patience, young one. He will come to you.”

Legolas made his way toward Aragorn slowly. He felt as nervous as Aragorn looked and wondered yet again if this was wise. It was too late to back out now without shaming Aragorn terribly and that was something he would never do. Finally, he made it to his lover's side, nodding his head to Gandalf in greeting.

“We are assembled here to witness a ceremony that has not been preformed in over millennia,” Gandalf called out in a loud, clear voice. “Today the King takes a consort.”

Legolas' hand slipped into Aragorn's. He squeezed tightly, needing the comfort and reassurance from his lover. He felt Aragorn return the pressure and the fear began to wane. They were together. The Fellowship was here. Nothing could hurt him now.



END.