SONG OF A MEMEORY

By Blarney Stone

TEMBWBAM@webtv.net

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Please excuse any canonical errors I make in this snippet. I've only seen 2 episodes and don't have a lot to work with.

Warning: this story is slash, so if that's not your cup of tea, hit delete now.

Kai/Original Character

Rated: PG

 

SONG OF A MEMEORY

By Blarney Stone

Once again, I'm awakened. Xev and Stanley require my services to extricate them from another odd and life-threatening situation. I do not resent their continued need of my help. And yet. . each time I close my eyes I hope that I will not have to open them again.

My people, the Brunnen-G, believed that when we died, our souls were reborn and that none were ever lost, or seperated from each other or the Song. But, now the Brunnen-G are gone and all the songs have been silenced. I am the last, and I am dead too, but not completely.

Joul. I remember your name and I remember joy. You were my beloved; my aria. I spent my life looking for you; you owned my dreams before I ever saw your face. My beloved Joul, loving me caused you such pain. Your father never forgave you for disgracing the family by choosing a male lover instead of a proper wife, but you never complained or shed a tear of regret.

How I've missed you. I feel nothing now that I'm dead; still, when I see my face reflected I think of you. We could have been brothers you and I; most who met us thought we were. We were both tall and pale skinned. Our black hair entwined so when we made love that I never knew which was yours and which was mine. Only your eyes set you apart from me. Green as the sea of Omaire, they are the last image in my mind each time I seal myself in my frozen chamber, hoping to be allowed peace.

The last time I saw you was the day the Shadow came to destroy our world. You embraced me and said that no matter what happened we would someday stand together on the shores of the sea and sing, if not in this life then in the next. You were wrong.

We, the warriors of the Brunnen-G, launched ourselves into the the night; confident that no enemy could stand against our righteous song. The Time Oracle had told us that we would destroy the shadow. Surely, we would sing of this victory for generations to come. We were wrong.

I didn't see you die, but I felt it. A cold, empty blackness, that I would come to know so well, opened inside me. As I watched my comrades die and our world endure blow after blow of desctruction until it could take no more, I felt the song fade and knew that the end had come for all of us. When I ordered the remaining warriors to ram the Shadow's ship, I had little hope of defeating it, only the certain knowledge that, as our people had lived together; we would die together and none would be seperated from the Song. I was wrong.

I have lived, no existed, these 2000 years, commiting crimes for which there can be no forgiveness. All of the songs of our people were stolen from me, as was the sweet melody of your name, for which I can never forgive. I can only continue until I am not needed anymore. Then perhaps I will allowed to sleep.

My Joul, is your soul out there somewhere? Are the Brunnen-G united in song, on some distant world that lies forever beyond my reach? Do you think of me when the night is clear and the moons are full, and do you remember the song of love we once sang? I could almost hope, my beloved Joul, that one day, when I am free of the last vestiges of this wretched life, that I might also find my way there, and that you and I and all of our people will sing together again, in a place where no shadow falls.

 

the end
blarney stone