Title: A Trip Home

Author: Python


Fandom: Law & Order/Queer is Folk

Pairing: Briscoe/McCoy

Email: flairswench@hotmail.com

Archive: My website: http://www.geocities.com/bikertaker2000/Python.html

Summary: This is an AU where Jack is from Pittsburgh instead of Chicago. He runs into some old friends during a trip home.


Disclaimer: These guys don't belong to me. I'm not making any money off them. any feedback is appreciated


A Trip Home

by Python


Lennie Briscoe pulled into the gas station, turned off the engine, and let out a long breath. "That was a long drive." After getting drafted into a double-shift the day before leaving and the numerous detours because of all the road work due to bad weather. he was very tired. He nudged Jack McCoy, who as asleep in the passenger seat next to him. "Wake up, Jack."

Jack opened his eyes. "Where are we?"


"The first stop in Pittsburgh off the highway."


"You drove all that way. Why didn't you wake me sooner? We were supposed to take turns."


Lennie shrugged. "I didn't see the point. I was awake anyway." He didn't mention that Jack was peaceful when asleep and he didn't have the heart to wake him. He got out of the car and stretched.

Jack followed. "I'll drive the rest of the way."

"Be my guest. You can start by filling up the tank. I'm going to find the bathroom."


"Okay," Jack said and crossed to the other side of their car. He took the gas pump and began filling. He was done and had already paid for the gas by the time Lennie got back. "I'll be back. I have to go myself."


Lennie nodded. He stood outside the car and waited in the cool breeze. He covered a yawn and slipped into the passenger seat when Jack came back. "How far is it to our hotel?"

"About a half hour," Jack answered.

"Wake me when we get there."
"And then you'll just go back to sleep after we check in."


"Probably."

Jack chuckled. "Will do."


*

Debbie Novotny sat at her kitchen table with her boyfriend, Detective Carl Horvath. They had an old photo album in front of them. Carl pointed down to a young woman, standing between two men. All three were grinning. "I can't believe that's you."


Debbie laughed. "Yeah, that's me, a lot younger, thinner, and prettier."


"You're still beautiful."

"Thank you, Sweetie."
"And that one on the left is your brother, Vic," Carl said. "Who's the one on the right?"


"That was my oldest brother, Tony."

"I haven't heard you talk about him before."

Debbie frowned. "He died twenty years ago."

Carl put an arm around her. "I'm sorry, Deb."

"He was in a wreck on his motorcycle, died instantly," Debbie said. She smiled. "You would've like Tony, Carl. He had a bigger mouth than me, but his heart was twice as big. He was a huge teddy bear."


"That teddy bear had fangs if you crossed him," Vic Grassi said, coming into the room.


"True," Debbie admitted.

Vic leaned against the kitchen counter. "But if you were his friend, he was your friend for life. Hey, you know what?"


"What?"

"His high school class's reunion is coming up."

"Oh, my God. That's got to be thirty years. I wonder how many people will show."


Vic smiled wryly. "Do they want their high school friends to know how old they've gotten?" He chuckled and looked at his watch. "I've got to run to the store. I don't have all the ingredients I need for dinner."

*

Jack picked a hotel in his old neighborhood. It had changed a lot. Most of the stores he'd known growing up were gone, but his favorite market was still there. On a whim, he decided to go inside. He could leave Lennie sleeping for a few minutes.


Jack pulled into the parking lot. He got out of the car and it felt weird being in the old place again. He went inside the market. "It hasn't really changed that much."


Jack went to the drinks aisle. He found a bottle of water. "Everyone has to change with the times."


"Yeah, that wouldn't have been here thirty years ago."


Jack turned to a middle aged man. The man looked like he recognized him.


He stared at him, hard. "We've met before."

"Yeah, but not for a long time."

The man reminded him of his old friend Tony. "Vic. Vic Grassi."

Vic nodded and grinned. "It took me a minute to recognize you, too. The grey hair threw me off."


Jack chuckled. "I've been told it looks good on me."

"It does. How have you been?"

"Pretty good. I've got no complaints. I'm just in town for the reunion and came up a few days early for a small vacation."


"Yeah, I heard about that. Are you still a lawyer?"

Jack nodded. "Yup, I work for the New York District Attorney's Office.


What about you? As I recall, your ambition was to study cooking in Europe."


Vic laughed ruefully. "That never happened, but I have become a pretty good cook, even if I do say so myself. Hey, why don't you join us for dinner? Debbie would love to see you."


"I don't know," Jack said. He didn't think Lennie would be too fond of the idea. Neither of them was afraid of people seeing them do couply things.


They'd been out of the closet at home for a few years, but Lennie still sometimes got uncomfortable with strangers.


"Oh, come on. It'll save you a dinner bill."

"Vic, I'm not here alone."

Vic didn't see a ring, but that didn't mean anything. In high school, Jack had always gone out with girls, although there were rumors to the contrary. "Girlfriend or boyfriend?"


"Boyfriend, as in practically married."

"Oh, that serious."

Jack nodded. "That serious."

"Bring him along," Vic said. Jack was about to protest when he continued, "You've been gone for a long time, but you remember Deb. Once I tell her that you're here, she'll hunt you down if you don't agree to come over."


Jack remembered Debbie being very loud and very tenacious. He'd always liked her and had no doubt that Vic spoke the truth. "What time?"


"Seven and you'll get to meet my nephew, Michael. Do you remember where our house is?"


"You're still living there?"

"Yup," Vic answered.

Jack laughed. "I remember where it is. Me and Lennie will be there, even if I have to drag him."


Vic grinned. "Hopefully, that won't be necessary."


*

"Hey, Deb," Vic called as he came through the front door, both arms full of grocery bags.


"Hey, Uncle Vic," Michael said, coming to greet him. "Is there anything else?"


"Three more bags in the car."

"I'll get 'em."

Debbie came and took a couple of the bags from Vic. "I thought you'd be back sooner."


"I ran into a old friend at the market," Vic said, following Debbie into the kitchen.


Debbie began unpacking the groceries. "Really, who?"


"Jack McCoy."


"Our Jack."


Vic laughed. "Yup. He just got into town for the reunion."


Debbie put the fresh carrots in the refrigerator. "You invited him to dinner, right?"


Vic set the box of pasta on the counter and reached up to put some cans in the cabinet. "Tonight."


"Good, then he can meet Michael, Ben, and Carl. Did he say what he's doing now?"


"Works for the District Attorney's Office in New York."


"That would've made his old man proud," Debbie said. She shook her head.

"Old bastard," she muttered. Jack's father was a good guy, except when he drank. She remembered all the times she'd seen the bruises on Jack's body.


Vic sighed. He remembered, too, and how angry Tony got. He shrugged. That was all in the past. Jack had moved on and apparently had a good life and a stable relationship. "And Jack will be bringing a guest tonight."


"His wife?"

"No, his husband."

Debbie stared at her brother. Then, she smiled. "We always had our suspicions. Did you meet him?"


Vic shook his head. "No. Jack promised to bring him tonight."


"Do you at least know his name?"

"Lennie."


*

Jack thought it best not to tell Lennie about dinner until they'd checked into their hotel room. He parked the car and shook his lover's shoulder.


"Lennie, we're here."

Lennie grunted and opened one eye. "So soon?" he grumbled.


Jack laughed. "Come on, let's get checked in."

Ten minutes later, they were in their moderately furnished room. One large bed dominated the center. Jack grinned and took Lennie's hand. He nodded suggestively to the bed. "We've got five days. Do you think we'll have time to put that bed to use?"


Lennie put an arm around Jack's waist. "I think so." Jack leaned in, but he stepped away. He sat on the bed, kicked his shoes off, and laid back.


"I'm going to put it to some use right now."

"Lennie..."

"Jack, you said that you'd let me sleep. Give me a few hours and then I promise to fuck you through this mattress."


Jack sat on the edge of the bed next to Lennie. "I would love that, but there's something else."


Lennie rested his head on Jack's leg and didn't open his eyes. "What?"


"I ran into an old friend when I stopped off at the market."

"That's nice," Lennie said, clearly not interested at the moment.

Jack ran his hand through Lennie's hair and Lennie sighed in contentment.

He figured that the direct approach would be best. "Vic invited us to dinner tonight and I said yes."


Lennie growled. "Did you have to?"

Jack's one hand was still playing with Lennie's hair. The other rubbed Lennie's back. "It won't hurt. I haven't seen Vic or his sister, Debbie, for a long time. I'd like to catch up with them. I was good friends with their
brother, Tony."


"All right, Jack."

"Do you promise to behave?"

"Yeah. Are these people weird?"

"Probably."

"Then, at least it should be interesting."

Jack moved and Lennie rolled onto his back. "I'll leave you alone now. I'll wake you at five-thirty so you have time to get cleaned up before we head over there," Jack said.


"Okay," Lennie mumbled.

*

Michael helped Debbie by setting the dining room table. "Who is this Jack anyway?" he called to the kitchen.


"He was best friends with your uncle Tony," Debbie called back. She carried the silverware in and began placing it next to the plates. "Your grandmother used to guilt Tony into taking us with him when he went to the movies and places like that. Tony's other friends teased him about it, but not Jack."


Vic stuck his head in from the kitchen. "I think he actually liked us," he quipped.


"He became a part of our family," Debbie said. "Especially when he needed an escape from his own."


"I know what that's like," Michael teased.

Debbie playfully hit Michael on the arm. "You're lucky to have a family as supportive as us."


Michael laughed. "I know. I know. So, how did you lose touch with Jack?"


"He went off to study at NYC. He built a life there. And Tony and his parents died within two years. I guess it was just too painful for him to come back here."


"You mean that you never heard from him at all?"


"We got the occasional letter," Vic answered. "He invited us to his wedding but we couldn't go. We heard about the birth of his daughter and his divorce. I think that minimal contact made it easier for him to let go of
some of the things that happened in his past."


Debbie put her hands on her hips. "I plan to get totally caught up with Jack tonight."


"You might scare his husband."

"Most people are a little frightened of mom when they first meet her," Michael teased.


Debbie glared from her brother to her son. "I will be perfectly nice and I'm sure we'll get along with both Jack and Lennie."


"Or after one dinner, they'll be ready to go back to New York."

Vic laughed and disappeared back into the kitchen before Debbie's glare could fall back on him. "Don't cross your mother, Michael," Debbie said.


Michael put an arm around Debbie and kissed her cheek. "Sorry, Mom."


Debbie couldn't stay mad, not when she knew that Michael was just teasing. She patted his hand. "It's okay, baby."


*

Jack went for a walk in the park near the hotel. Then, he decided that he could use a shower after so long in the car. He took a long, hot one and came out of the bathroom, with just a towel around his waist.


Jack padded over to the bed and sat on the edge. He shook his wet hair over his lover's face and watched the drops of water hit Lennie's cheek.


"It's time to wake up."


Lennie growled and brought a hand up to wipe his face. "Is it really?"


"I'm afraid so."

Lennie opened his eyes to look up at Jack. The sight of Jack's face was a nice thing to wake up to. "Hello, Beautiful."


Jack grinned. "You're not so bad yourself, Sexy," he said and leaned in and gave Lennie a quick kiss.


"Are you sure that we have to go to this dinner?" Lennie asked. He wasn't looking forward to it and was only going because Jack asked. He'd do just about anything for Jack.


Jack laughed. "Yes, now get up or you won't have time for a shower."

"All right," Lennie grumbled and sat up. He got a better view of Jack's state of undress.


"Don't stare," Jack said. He tended to get excited when Lennie stared at him like that. "We don't have time."


"I know," Lennie sighed and got up. He grabbed his bag and disappeared into the bathroom to take his own shower. He came out a half-hour later, dressed and as ready as he was going to be. "You used up all the hot water."


Jack was sitting on the bed, watching TV. He looked at Lennie. "Sorry," he said with a smile and not the least bit of repentance.


Lennie shook his head in exasperation. "When do we have to leave?"

"In about fifteen minutes. That should give us plenty of time."

*

Debbie opened the door to see a face that she knew. It was older, with more wrinkles and the hair on top of the head was grey, but the brown eyes were the same. "Jack," she exclaimed and threw her arms around him.
Jack laughed and hugged Debbie. "How are you, Debbie?"


Debbie pulled away. "Pretty good. I've got no complaints."

"At least not today," Michael said from next to her.

Debbie laughed and introduced Michael to Jack. Jack shook hands with the young man and gestured to Lennie. "Debbie and Michael, meet Lennie Briscoe."


Debbie turned her smile on Lennie. "Nice to meet you."


Lennie took her offered hand. "Same here."


"Well, come in. Don't just stand there on the doorstep."


Jack followed her inside. "Where's Vic?"


"In the kitchen, putting the last touches on dinner. He's a hopeless perfectionist where his food is concerned."


The other two guests, Carl and Michael's boyfriend, Ben, were in the living room. Debbie handled all of the introductions and then excused herself to check on Vic. While Jack chatted with Michael and Ben, Carl
gravitated to Lennie. He recognized a brother officer. "NYPD?" he asked.


Lennie looked at Carl, recognizing the same thing in Carl that Carl had seen in him. "Yeah. Pittsburgh PD?"


"Of course. Debbie forgot to mention that I'm Detective Carl Horvath."

"Detective Lennie Briscoe."

"Cops can always recognize cops."

Lennie shrugged and said lightly, "It's the haunted look."


Carl chuckled. "I suppose so. We're fellow sufferers."

Debbie swept into the room. "Vic's put dinner out. It's time to eat."

"She certainly is a take charge lady," Lennie remarked, but meant nothing bad by the comment.


Carl glanced at Debbie fondly. "She's certainly one of a kind."


*


"Come on, Jack, fill me in," Debbie said after they'd all be seated and got a good start on eating. She was at the head of the table. Vic was across from her. Carl was on her right and Jack was on her left. Lennie was on
Jack's other side and Michael was between Carl and Ben.


"On what?" Jack asked.

"Your life. I want to know everything."

"That would take all night."

"Okay, just the highlights then."

Jack shrugged. "I wouldn't know where to begin." He squeezed Lennie's hand under the table.


"You don't want her to start questioning you," Vic said.

"Yeah," Carl added. "The interrogation would never end."


Michael laughed. "Give her something."

Debbie stared at Jack, not the least bit perturbed about what the men in her life said. She teased and could take teasing by the best of them. "You better follow their advice, Jack."


Jack glanced at Lennie, who said, "You heard them, give her something."

Jack smiled and then turned back to Debbie. "Let me see...I've been with the New York DA's office the last twenty-five years. I prosecute homicides. I love my job and I still like riding motorcycles."


"And watching Pirates games," Lennie added. "At times, it's almost painful."


Jack nudged Lennie. "Who asked you to butt in?" he asked playfully.


Lennie grinned at Jack. "Sorry."

Debbie laughed and asked, "How long have you two been together?"


"Eight years and I've never been happier," Jack answered. He sat back in his chair. "That's it. You have me in a nutshell."


"Okay. Lennie, give us you in a nutshell."

"Do I have to?"

"It would be safer if you did," Carl answered.

"Go ahead," Jack said quietly to Lennie.

Lennie sighed. "All right. I've been a cop for thirty years and a detective for most of that time. I investigate the homicides that Jack prosecutes. I'm damn good at my job and my hobbies include pool, placing the
occasional bet on the horses, the Yankees, and the Knicks."


"And Jack."

"Well, that goes without saying."

Jack crossed his arms. "Okay, Debbie, it's your turn."

"I don't want to talk about me," Debbie said.

"Since when?" Carl asked.

"Go on, Mom," Michael said.

"It's only fair," Ben added.

Debbie shrugged. "I work at the Liberty Diner. I have a wonderful family, that I'll do anything for, and a very big mouth."


"And she plays mother to every queer on Liberty Avenue," Michael said with pride. Sometimes, his mom got to be overwhelming, but he wouldn't have her any other way.


They went around the table and everyone else had to give of description of himself in a nutshell. Ben was last and, by that time, the food was gone.


"That was very good, Vic," Jack said.

Vic nodded, accepting the compliment. "Thanks."

The group talked for a while longer in the living room. Lennie sat on the couch next to Ben. Jack sat on the floor, with his back against the couch, in between Lennie's legs. One of his hands rested on Lennie's knee.

Michael was in the same position with Ben. Debbie was in the easy chair and Carl and Vic had brought in chairs from the kitchen.


"How's your daughter, Jack?" Debbie asked.

"Fine. She works as a book editor in Virginia," Jack answered.

"Is she married?"

Jack shook his head. "Not yet, but she has a steady boyfriend."

"What about you, Lennie? Any children?"

Lennie sighed. "I had two daughters."

"Had?"

"One of them was murdered."

Debbie frowned. "I'm sorry I asked."

Lennie waved that off. "It's okay. I've made peace with it. My other daughter, Julia, is married with two kids in Kentucky. She likes being a full-time mom."


"It's nice that she can stay home and take care of her kids."

Carl looked at his watch and stood up. "It's getting late. I'll have to be going."


Debbie stared up at him. "So soon?"

"Deb, it's almost midnight and I have to work in the morning."

"It's that late already," Michael said. He and Ben got up. "We both have to work, too."


Jack looked over his shoulder to see Lennie yawn. He had done a lot of talking that night and could use a break. Besides, he wanted Lennie to make good on a certain promise. He nudged Lennie. "Should we go, too?"


"It is getting late," Lennie said.

"Okay."

"Everyone's leaving at the same time," Debbie said.


Carl kissed Debbie and waved to everyone as he went out the door. "Nice talking to all of you. I'll call you later, Deb."


Michael was next. He kissed Debbie on the cheek. "Sorry, but Ben has a class to teach in the morning and I have to open the store."


"Okay, sweetie. Goodnight Michael, Ben."

"Night, Debbie," Ben said and followed Michael out.


Jack shook hands again with Vic. "Thanks for a wonderful meal, Vic."


Vic smiled. "Don't be a stranger, Jack. Good to meet you, Lennie."


"Same here," Lennie replied and went to the door with Jack.


Debbie hugged Jack again. "It's been so good to see you."


"You, too," Jack said.


"Visit us again before you leave."

"Will do."

"Night, Lennie."

Lennie nodded to her. "Good night, Debbie."

"Again, I'm sorry if I said something that I shouldn't have."


Lennie smiled. "Believe me, it's okay."

Debbie smiled back. "Okay."

"Night," Lennie said and went out with Jack. They had to walk half a block to the car. Jack put his arm through Lennie's.


"See, that wasn't so bad."

"No, it wasn't."


*

Debbie watched her guests disappear and then shut and locked the door.


"That was nice."

"Yes, it was," Vic agreed. "Now, you can come and help me do the dishes."

Debbie sighed. "All right."

"It will be harder to get them clean if we wait until tomorrow."

"I know," Debbie said and followed Vic into the kitchen. She ran water into the sink while he waited with the dish towel. "Jack looks good."


"Yeah."

"I think he's really happy."


"Me, too."

"And Lennie seems nice, too," Debbie said. "You can see that he loves Jack. It's in his face."


Vic nodded. "Jack has that same look." He wished he could find that type of relationship, but it was hard when he was HIV positive.


"You'll find that, too, Vic," Debbie said with complete assurance. She knew exactly what he was thinking.
Vic sighed. "I hope so."


"And Carl didn't seem the least bit surprised that Lennie is a cop and gay."


"I told you that all he needed was a little bit of learning in tolerance," Debbie said.


"You're the one that thought he was a homophobe when you first met him.


You wouldn't go out with him the first time he asked you."


Debbie put a hand up. "Before you say it, yes I remember that it was you who told me to give Carl a chance and go out with him."


"And it's paid off. I haven't seen you this happy in a long time."


Debbie touched her brother's arm. "And I know there is someone out there for you."


Vic touched her hand and nodded. "Thanks, Deb."


"For what?"


"Your faith."


Debbie blushed and waved that off. "Come on, let's get these finished so we can get some sleep."


*

Jack and Lennie got back to their room. Lennie went in first and Jack followed, shutting the door behind him. Jack put his arms around Lennie from behind and rested his chin on Lennie's shoulder. "You made a promise to me earlier."


Lennie knew which one Jack was talking about but said, "What? I behaved during dinner."


Jack blew on Lennie's ear. "That's not the one I meant."


"Oh, the one where I..."


"Promised to fuck me through the mattress."


Lennie turned around and rested his hands on Jack's hips. "Yes, I think I remember saying that," he said and leaned in to kiss Jack's mouth.

Jack smiled into the kiss. "And you know what the best part is?" he whispered.


"What?"

"That we don't have to get up in the morning for any reason, no work."


Lennie grinned. "That is nice."


Jack kissed along Lennie's jaw. "So, I can keep you up for as long as I want."


Lennie ran his hands under Jack's shirt, over Jack's bare back. Then, he pulled it off and admired Jack's chest. "You've always had a nice chest, Jack."


"Thank you," Jack said. If he was showing some skin, then he wanted to see some of Lennie's. He pushed Lennie to sit on the bed and kneeled in front of him. Then, he began unbuttoning Lennie's shirt, letting his
fingertips lightly brush against skin with each one. He pushed it off Lennie's shoulders and let it drop to the floor. "Yours isn't so bad either."


Lennie pulled Jack into a kiss. It was fierce and intense and left Jack at a momentary loss. Jack's eyes were still closed when they broke apart.

"Get the rest of your clothes off and get your butt into this bed," Lennie commanded.


Jack loved the fact that the lust in Lennie's eyes was just for him. He licked his lips suggestively. "Yes, Sir."


*

"Why don't we invite Jack and Lennie to Woody's with us tonight?" Debbie suggested as she and Vic ate lunch.


"Deb, they might have other plans," Vic said.


"They can always say no."


"No one can say no to you."


Debbie shrugged. "What would be the harm in asking them?"


"This is their vacation. They might have other plans, besides the reunion," Vic said. He'd seen the way Jack looked at Lennie as they were leaving the night before. Staying the whole day and night in bed was probably on Jack's list of things to do.


"Like I said, they can always say no."

Vic chuckled. "Okay, Deb."

"Have you got the number to their hotel?"

Vic nodded. "Jack gave it to me last night."

"Then, you call."

"Why me?"

"You said no one can say no to me," Debbie said with a smirk. "I want to be fair to them."


Vic laughed. "All right. I'll call them a little later," he said. He didn't think they were up yet.


Debbie didn't ask why Vic wanted to wait. "Okay."


"Is Carl coming with us?"


"No, he has to work. He and I are having dinner tomorrow night and going bowling with his co-workers the night after."


"Sounds fun."

"Yeah, right," Debbie said sarcastically. "Some of the people Carl works with really annoy me."


"I'm sure they know it, too."

Debbie sat back and crossed her arms over her chest. "And why not? I don't appreciate slurs against gays. Like all of you have said one time or another, I'm mother to every queer on Liberty Avenue. And I'll let
homophobes know exactly how I feel."


Vic smiled. "We wouldn't have you any other way."

*

Jack growled when he heard the phone ringing. He lifted his head from its position on Lennie's chest. He opened his eyes and glared at it. Lennie was a deeper sleeper than him and didn't stir.


Jack reached across Lennie to get the phone. "Hello."

"Jack."

"Vic."

"Is this a bad time?" Vic asked, hearing some hostility in Jack's voice.

Jack rubbed his face with his free hand and saw that it was three in the afternoon. Well, he and Lennie had been up really late. "No, it's all right. What is it?"


"Deb wanted me to call and invite you and Lennie out to Woody's with us tonight."


"We have dinner plans already," Jack said. Namely, ordering in a pizza, watching TV, and more sex. He heard Debbie in the background. He couldn't make it out but her voice was animated. But is there a time when it isn't? he asked himself.


Vic sighed. "This would be later, around ten. We're just going to have a few drinks and relax."


Jack heard Debbie again. He knew that if he said no, then Vic would never hear the end of it. He took pity on an old friend. "Okay, for a little while."


"Good, meet here at 9:30," Vic said, relieved.

"All right."

"And Jack."

"What?"

"Sorry to have woken you," Vic said softly.

Jack smiled. "It's all right. See you tonight," he said and hung up. He began kissing along Lennie's jaw. "Lennie," he whispered.


Lennie slowly became aware of Jack's mouth on his neck. "Jack," he rasped.


Jack stopped what he was doing and looked at Lennie. "You knows our plans for tonight."


"Pizza, TV, and sex."

"There's one more thing."


"What?"


"We're going out for drinks with Vic and Debbie later tonight," Jack said, watching for Lennie's reaction.


"Okay."

"That's it?"

Lennie smiled. "Yeah, I liked them."

Jack grinned. "Good."

"And I'm sure the joint has a pool table."

"Are you wanting to show off?"

Lennie's eyes twinkled in amusement. "Maybe."

Jack laughed. "I love watching you work," he said and Lennie pulled him close for a kiss.


*

Vic hung up. "They'll be here around 9:30."


Debbie nodded in satisfaction. "See, I told you that it wouldn't hurt to ask."


Vic chuckled. "Yes, you did."

That evening, Debbie opened the door to Jack and Lennie. "Jack, Lennie."


"Hey, Debbie," Jack said and she gave him a hug.

Debbie surprised Lennie by hugging him next. "I hope you guys had fun today," she said innocently.


"We had a lot of fun," Lennie answered and saw Jack grinning at him.


Vic came up behind Debbie. "I guess we're ready to go."


"Yeah, come on guys," Debbie said and pushed past Jack and Lennie to lead the way.


"I love a take-charge woman," Lennie quipped.

Debbie looked over her shoulder. "Well, I'm about as take-charge as you're going to get."


The four got to Woody's and Debbie saw Melanie Marcus and Lindsey Peterson. The two waved to her and she led her group over. "Hello, Melanie, Lindsey."


"Hey," Lindsey said, greeting everyone with a brilliant smile.


"Who are your friends?" Melanie asked.

"This is an old friend of ours, Jack, and this is Lennie."


Melanie held out her hand. "Nice to meet you."

Jack shook Melanie's hand. "You, too."

"Sit down," Lindsey said.

The six of them crowded around the one table. Debbie and Vic each ordered a beer and Jack had scotch. Lennie got a club soda. He looked around at the people around him. "I don't drink anymore. It got to be a bad habit."


"That's all right," Debbie said.

"So, where are you guys from?" Melanie asked Jack.


"New York," Jack answered. "We're in town for a week."

"But Jack's an original Pittsburgh boy," Debbie broke in.

Jack chuckled. "But I haven't actually lived here in thirty years."

Melanie took a drink from her beer. "I don't blame you for wanting to get out of here," she said lightly.


"It was the right choice for me."

"So, what do you guys do?" Lindsey asked.

"I work for the New York District Attorney's Office," Jack answered.

"Really, I'm a lawyer, too," Melanie said. "But in a private practice."


Lindsey touched her lover's arm. "There will be no talking shop." She looked to Lennie. "Are you a lawyer, too?"


Lennie shook his head. "God, forbid. I'm a cop."

Lindsey and Melanie had already concluded that Jack and Lennie were lovers. "A lawyer and a cop. Do you ever want to kill each other?" Melanie joked.


"Sometimes," Lennie answered and Jack elbowed him. "See, he abuses me."

"I'll show you abuse," Jack responded.

Lindsey saw some more of their friends come in the bar. "Brian and Justin are here." She waved. Brian Kinney nodded to her, got his drink at the bar, and went straight to the pool table.


Justin Taylor came over to say hello. "Hey, guys."

"Hi, Sunshine," Debbie said. "Meet Jack and Lennie."

"Hey," Justin said.

"How's it going, Justin?" Melanie asked.

Justin shrugged. "All right."

Debbie gestured to Brian. "You should tell your boyfriend to be more sociable. He could have at least said hello."


"You know how he is, Deb. He doesn't bother with pleasantries. He's just come here to get his ego boost by beating anyone stupid enough to play pool against him."


Jack and Lennie looked at each other. "Apparently, he's good," Jack remarked.


Lennie's eyebrow rose. "Apparently."

"Sounds like a challenge to me."

Lindsey sat forward. "Does one of you play?" she asked. She wouldn't mind seeing someone give Brain a run for his money. Brian was one of those annoying people who seemed to be good at everything.


Lennie shrugged. "I dabble."

"It's going to take more than dabbling to beat Brian," Melanie said.


Lennie stood up. "I'll give it a shot."

Jack watched his lover approach the pool table. Brian stared Lennie up and down and then handed him a cue. Jack couldn't hear what was said but he didn't need to. He grinned. He'd never seen anyone beat Lennie and knew that this wouldn't be an exception.


"Is Lennie that good?" Lindsey asked.

"He can't be good enough to beat Brian," Justin said, taking the seat that Lennie had vacated.


Jack's gaze shifted from Lennie to Justin. "Would you care to make a bet on that?"


"Sure. How about twenty bucks?"


Jack nodded. "You got a bet."


Melanie's elbows rested on the table, her chin in her palm. "I don't think Lennie can beat Brian."


"Oh, I don't know," Lindsey said. "He seems to know what he's doing." She rested her elbows on the table next to Melanie. "How about we make a little bet of our own?"


"What do you have in mind?"

"Whoever loses has to do exclusive diaper duty for a week."

"All right," Melanie agreed. "It's a bet."

Debbie sat back in her chair. "What do you think, Vic?"

Vic shook his head. "I'm not choosing a champion."

"Coward."

*

Lennie chalked his cue. "Want to break?"


Brain eyed Lennie, sizing him up. "We'll flip for it."

"All right."

Brian dug a quarter out of his pocket. "I saw that you're here with Debbie."


"That's right. She's quite a lady."

"That's putting it mildly," Brian replied. "Call it."

Brian flipped the coin in the air and Lennie called, "Tails."

Brain caught the quarter and looked at it. He showed it to Lennie.

"Sorry," he said smugly.

Lennie shrugged. It was no big deal. If he broke, the game would be over before it even started. He gestured to the pool table. "Go ahead."


Brain broke and sank a solid. He sank three more shots before he missed.


"Your turn," he said.

Lennie had been watching Brain. There was no doubt that Brian was a good player, but he was better. He knocked in the first striped ball with ease. He methodically sank all the stripes, calling the shots as he went.


As the game progressed, Brain's smug look disappeared. He knew that he couldn't have made some of the shots that Lennie made look so easy. He stared at Lennie, hard, and with a grudging respect. Finally, all Lennie had left was the eight ball. It was near a corner pocket, but blocked by one of the solids. "What are you going to do now, Pool Shark?"


Lennie wasn't fazed. "I guess, I'm just going to have to go around the one," he said. He hit the cue ball. It hit the side of the table, missing the one ball, and knocking the eight into the pocket.


Lennie was about to put his cue back on the rack, when Brain said, "One more round."


"Are you a glutton for punishment?"

"You can't be that good all of the time."

Lennie chuckled. He knew very well that he could be, but if he needed to prove it, that wouldn't be a problem. "All right."


*

"I don't believe it," Justin said.

Lindsey nudged Melanie. "I told ya."

Jack turned to face Justin. He grinned. "I told you that Lennie's that good."


Justin saw that Brain and Lennie were going to play again. "Double or nothing."


Jack almost felt bad taking Justin's money.

"Unless, your boy's win was just luck," Justin said.


Jack almost felt bad, but that remark went too far. This young man had to be taught a lesson about respecting his elders. "You're on."


"Do you want to go for two weeks?" Lindsey asked Melanie.

"No, thanks," Melanie answered.

Vic stood up and went to watch the game from a closer viewpoint. "They're putting bets on you two over there," he said.


"Let 'em," Brain replied. He held a quarter. "Call it."

Lennie called tails again and lost. Again, Brian broke and sank a solid.


Again, it didn't matter. Once Brain missed and Lennie took his turn, he sank all of the stripes and the eight ball.


Vic whistled. "Where did you learn to play like that?"

Lennie smiled. "Just a lot of practice."

Brain hung his cue on the rack in disgust. He downed his second beer and disappeared into the restroom.


"He doesn't take defeat well," Lennie said.

"No," Vic agreed. "He's used to winning all of the time."

"Then, I've done him a favor. This loss will help build character."

Vic and Lennie both broke out laughing. Lennie put his cue on the rack.

"Come on, let's go see the money change hands," he said.


*

Justin held out two twenties to Jack. "Here."


Jack waved the money away. "Keep it."

"No, you won it."

"I don't want your money."

"Then, you shouldn't have agreed to the bet," Justin said, took Jack's hand, and placed the money in Jack's palm. He stood up just as Lennie and Vic were coming over. "You're good," he told Lennie.


"Thanks."


"I'd better go find Brain and stop him from sulking," Justin said and walked away.


Lennie resumed his seat and saw the money in Jack's hand. "You actually took that kid's money."


Jack shrugged. "He insisted."


"You cleaned Brian's clock," Melanie said. She may have bet on Brian, but was happy when someone beat Brain at something.


Lennie chuckled. "Pool is one of the very few things that I'm very good at."


The group saw Brian and Justin come out of the bathroom. Brian had Justin by the arm and was leading Justin out. "They're probably on their way to Babylon," Lindsey said.


"Yeah," Melanie agreed. "Brian will drown his humiliation over losing in alcohol."


They chatted for another hour before they all stood up to stretch. "We should probably get out of here," Lindsey suggested to Melanie.

Melanie nodded. "Yeah, the babysitter's gotta get home and I've got to work in the morning."


"It was nice meeting you guys," Lindsey said to Jack and Lennie.


"You, too," Jack replied.

Melanie nodded to Lennie. "I like any guy that can take Brian."


The two women left and Vic said, "We should probably be going, too."


Debbie looked to Jack. "Time to go?"


Jack glanced at Lennie and then nodded. "Yeah, it's getting late."


Lennie drove Vic's car back to Debbie and Vic's house. "Good night, guys," Debbie said.


Jack waved. "Night." Debbie and Vic disappeared into the house while he and Lennie went to their car.


"I think everyone had a good time tonight," Debbie said when she and Vic got inside.


Vic smirked. "Everyone but Brian."


*

Jack and Lennie went back to their hotel room. Jack went in first and turned to grin at his lover. "You were a show off tonight."


Lennie grinned back. "Hey, the guy asked for it the second time."


Jack sat on the bed and took his shoes off. "Let's see. Today we slept in, had a lot of sex, ate food that we shouldn't have, and then went out to a bar where you kicked butt at pool."


Lennie sat next to Jack. "That's about it."

Jack took Lennie's hand. "I want you to come with me tomorrow."


"Where?"

"I want to visit my mom."

Lennie gave Jack's hand a squeeze. "Okay."

Jack covered his mouth to hide a yawn. Then, he stood up and began undressing. Lennie did the same and soon they were in bed. He grabbed the remote off the stand.


"Do you really think there will be anything on this late?" Lennie asked.


"It wouldn't hurt to look."


All Jack found was paid programming. He switched the TV off, threw the remote back on the stand, and laid his head on Lennie's shoulder. He ran his hand through the hair on Lennie's chest.


Lennie put his arm around Jack. "You could always order something off pay-per-view."


"Nah. I'd fall asleep in the middle of it."

"Probably," Lennie said and turned off the lamp on the stand on his side of the bed.


Jack placed a feather light kiss on Lennie's chest and then laid his head back down. "Good night, Lennie."


Lennie kissed the top of Jack's head. "Night, Jack."

Later the next morning, the two took a shower together, which took a little longer than Jack had expected. Well, seeing Lennie wet did things to him and Lennie wasn't adverse to the idea of fun and games. He towel dried his hair and Lennie hugged him from behind. "Leave it damp," Lennie said.


"Why?"

"Because it's sexy."

Jack turned around and grinned at Lennie. "Okay." He kissed along Lennie's jaw, loving the sounds that came deep from Lennie's throat.


"Do you realize that we've had more sex the past two days than in the last two months?"


"That's what vacations are for, when we're not tired from work most of the time."


Lennie's stomach growled. He hadn't eaten since the evening before. "Can we get something to eat? Food, I mean."


Jack was hungry, too. "Yeah. Let's grab an early lunch and then we can visit my mom."


"Sounds like a plan."


They ate a leisurely lunch at a small restaurant near the hotel. Then, Jack drove to the cemetery. It was larger than the last time he was there, but he still knew exactly where his parents were. He gripped Lennie's hand
tightly as they came to the dual headstone. "Lennie, meet my parents, Catherine and Patrick."


Lennie couldn't think of anything to say and stood with Jack quietly, just offering support. Jack stepped away and brushed the leaves off the top of the stone. "Hi ya doin', Mom?" He paused and kicked at the ground. "I just thought I'd see how you were doing. Things have been pretty good with me."


Jack glanced over his shoulder at Lennie, who gave him a small smile. He turned back to the stone. "Remember when you asked me if I would ever found anyone to love? Well, I have and we've been together a long time now. I know that you probably wouldn't actually approve, that is until you got to know him. I wish that you would've gotten that chance." His face flushed. "I miss you."


Lennie put a hand on Jack's shoulder and Jack turned and hugged him.


"It's okay, Jack," he whispered.


Jack pulled away and nodded. He faced the headstone again, brought his hand to his lips, and then touched the top of it. "Bye, Mom." He sighed and felt better. He had nothing to say to his father. He still loved the old man and made peace with the memories and that's all he needed. "I'm ready to go."


"Are you sure?"

Jack nodded. "I've said what I've come here to say."

"Okay," Lennie said and left with Jack. As they walked away, he put an arm across Jack's shoulders. "You

all right?"

"Yeah."


*

Debbie enjoyed her dinner with Carl, but the next night of bowling and pool with his co-workers left something to be desired. It's not that they were bad people, but they poked fun at every gay couple they saw. It wasn't right. Not every straight person could bowl either.


Debbie shook her head. She shouldn't let this get to her. She'd already proved her point once in a straight vs. gay bowling contest. The straight people won by a pin, only a pin. That taught Carl some respect at least, but not his friends.


"They don't mean any harm," Carl whispered in her ear as he sat next to her.


"That doesn't make it right, Carl," Debbie retorted.


"I know, but can't you just not worry about it for one evening?"


Debbie put a lid on her temper. She didn't want to fight with Carl. They tended not to speak for several weeks if they fought. "I can't help it."


They bowled two games and then went to the pool tables at the other side of the large hall. Debbie wasn't much of a pool player, so she sat out and cheered Carl on. Carl was fairly good, although not in a class with Brian or Lennie. One of Carl's more annoying co-workers, Sean, was the best out of the group and would give Brian or Lennie a run for their money.

"Sorry you ended up just another victim, Carl," Sean said with a smirk.

Carl shrugged. It didn't really matter to him. He sat next to Debbie, who said, "You're good."


"I'm the best."


"Oh, I think I know someone who could beat you."


Sean shook his head confidently. "That person doesn't exist."


"Brian would never come here," Carl said quietly.


"I'm not talking about Brain," Debbie answered.


"Can you bring him around to prove it or are you all talk as usual?" Sean asked.


Debbie stood up and put her hands on her hips. "I'll talk to him. I'm sure he'd love to beat your ass."


"Just let me know the time and the place, Debbie."


"I will."


Carl took Debbie's arm and brought her back down to sit by him. "Who are you talking about?"


"Lennie."

"He's that good?"

"He beat Brian two straight times. He's the best I've ever seen."


"Do you think he'll do it?"

"It wouldn't hurt to ask."


*

The same night that Debbie and Carl went out with his co-workers was the night of Jack's reunion. "Never mind," Jack announced, leaving his tie half done. "I think this was a bad idea. I don't think we should go."


Lennie chuckled and walked up to Jack. He began to finish tying Jack's tie. "Why?"


"Because I haven't seen these people in thirty years. I'm so much older."


"So are they."


"Lennie..."


Lennie finished with the tie and rested his hands on Jack's chest. "Don't complain. It was your idea to come here."

"I know."

"But if you're not having a good time, we can always leave early."

"Okay."

An hour later, they walked into Jack's old high school. Jack was somewhat nervous. Lennie wasn't. Lennie figured that he could just disappear into the background if need be. It was a skill he'd acquired over the years. They went to the check-in table. A woman Jack's age sat behind it. She wore a name tag. Judy. Jack remembered her, a cheerleader and one of the first girls in the school's history to come out of the closet. "Lesbian cheerleader," he whispered to Lennie.


"Name please," Judy asked and looked up. She stared at Jack for a long moment. "Jack. Jack McCoy."


Jack nodded. "That's right." He grinned. "How are you doing, Judy?"


Judy smiled. "I've been good." She found his name on the list. "You and one guest."


"Yeah, this is Lennie."


"Pleased to meet you," Judy said good naturedly. She cocked her head to the side in the direction of a woman getting a drink from a fountain.

"That's mine, Chris. Go on in and have a good time."

"Thanks."

"How many people in your high school were gay?" Lennie asked as they went into the auditorium.


"Well, it was the sixties. I'd say about half, but only half of those were out of the closet like Judy," Jack answered.


"What about you?"

"I'm bisexual and I was safely tucked in the closet, dated a girl by the name of Amy Stevens. She was a blond goddess, with green eyes."


"Goddess huh?"

"Yeah, my dad loved that I was dating her, showed that his son was a ladies man. But she dumped me our senior year for the captain of the football team, Chad Brock. I think Dad was more heartbroken than me."


Lennie rolled his eyes. "Oh, poor dad."


Jack laughed and looked around at the people. He recognized some of them, but others were completely different than they were as teenagers. Most of the men had grey or silvering hair like his or hardly any hair at all. The women dressed more conservatively and had shorter haircuts than he remembered. The music playing helped take him back to when he was young.


Lennie nudged Jack. "You see, you're not the only one who's aged. Did you think they'd all look like they did in high school?"


"That was my worst fear," Jack admitted.

They drifted through the crowd, stopping to chat occasionally. "I'm going to get something to drink. Do you want anything?" Lennie asked in Jack's ear.


"Coke or pepsi, whatever's up there," Jack answered.

Lennie nodded and left Jack alone. "Jack, is that you?"


Jack turned to see Amy. She had laugh lines around her eyes and mouth and her blond hair obviously came out of a bottle, but she was still beautiful.


Age had made her better. "Amy."

Amy threw her arms around Jack's neck and hugged him. "It's been so long."


Jack returned the hug. "Thirty years."

Amy pulled away. "You look good."

"So do you," Jack said and meant it. "So, what have you been doing?"


"I'm a housewife. You?"

"New York District Attorney's Office," Jack answered. He saw the ring on her finger. "Did you marry Chad?"


Amy sighed. "Yeah. He's floating around here somewhere. Did you ever get married?"


"Yeah, but it didn't work out."

Amy grinned suggestively. "So, you're here alone."

Jack couldn't be getting that signal from Amy. She was married. Granted, that didn't always stop people, but she'd always struck him as the loyal type. She waited until dumping him to date Chad. "Not exactly," he
stammered.


"Girlfriend? That's all right, too. We like to be adventurous."


Jack cleared his throat. "No, not a girlfriend. I'm here with my boyfriend."


Amy's eyes got wide. "You? I don't believe it."


"I'm afraid so."


"You, the man who could have just about any girl he wanted?"


Jack nodded. He was relieved when Lennie handed him his drink. "Amy, meet Lennie."


"This is your boyfriend?" Amy asked, not convinced that these two men could be together.


Lennie took an immediate dislike to Amy and the way she looked at Jack.

"I prefer the term lover." Amy was still staring at them in disbelief and he decided to remove any doubt. He cupped Jack's chin with his free hand and kissed him.


Amy swallowed. This wasn't a small kiss. This had tongues and it was hot.

When Jack and Lennie finally pulled apart, she said, "It was nice to see you again, Jack, but I'd better go and find Chad."


Jack chuckled, not the least sorry to see Amy go. He didn't need her coming on to him and was sure that Chad would be enjoying himself later that evening. "She beat a hasty retreat." He ran his hand under Lennie's jacket to rub his lover's lower back. "I'm bored. Let's go."


Lennie's eyebrow rose. "Are you sure? We've only been here an hour."

Jack grinned. "I'm sure."


*

"Lennie might not want to get involved in your personal war with some members of Pittsburgh's finest," Vic said as he and Carl ate lunch at the diner where Debbie worked. The two men sat at the counter, while she stood behind with her hands on her hips.


"He is a cop, too," Carl pointed out.

"He's also got a boyfriend," Debbie retorted. "I don't think he'd mind putting Sean in his place."


"You take Sean too seriously."

"Don't defend him, Carl. He's an arrogant asshole."

"But a good cop."

Debbie put a hand up. "I'm not saying that he's not. What is the big deal of just asking Lennie?"


"He might feel that he can't say no if he wants to," Vic answered. "Think about it. He's a stranger. He's here with one of our old friends."


"I'll just see what he says when he and Jack come in."


"What do you mean?"

"I invited them to have lunch at the diner today," Debbie said. She saw Ted Schmidt and Emmett Honeycutt come in. They stood behind Vic and Carl.


"Hello, everyone," Emmett greeted cheerfully.

"Hey," Ted said.

"Hey, Sweeties," Debbie replied. "Have a seat and I'll get your orders."


Ted and Emmett sat at a booth and Debbie went to wait on them. While she was busy, Jack and Lennie came in. Jack sat on the stool next to Vic and Lennie was next to him. "How was the reunion last night?" Vic asked.


"We only stayed an hour," Jack answered. "It was dull."

"Sorry, your night was so disappointing."

Jack smiled. "Not really."

Vic chuckled. "I see."

"I'm sure you do."

Debbie got Emmett and Ted their drinks and then went back behind the counter. "Hi, Jack, Lennie."


"Hey, Deb," Jack said and Lennie nodded to her.

"What can I get you guys?"

"I'll take a cheeseburger and fries," Lennie answered.

"That sounds good. Make it two," Jack told Debbie.

"Okay, coming right up," Debbie said and left to place the order.

"Lennie," Carl said. He leaned on the counter to see Lennie past Vic and Jack. "I want you to feel free to say no to what Debbie asks you."


"Why? What's she going to ask me?"

"Just to play a game of pool," Debbie answered, coming back.

"She wants you to mop the floor with one of Carl's colleagues that she doesn't like," Vic explained.


"The man's a homophobic prick," Debbie stated. "And he thinks that he's some kind of pool shark. I just want you to teach him a lesson."


Lennie shrugged. "I don't see how losing at pool will teach him a lesson.


I doubt that he'll be heartbroken."

"He will be if he loses to you."

"Why?"

Debbie didn't answer right away but Carl did. "Because you're gay."

Lennie stood up. "Cancel my order," he said and walked out. Jack glanced at everyone and followed.


"What?" Debbie asked.

"You just don't get it sometimes," Vic said, knowing exactly why Lennie was upset. He was in no mood to explain and walked out.


*

"Lennie," Jack said, catching up to his lover. Lennie didn't answer.


"Lennie."

"What?"

"She didn't mean anything bad."

"I know she didn't," Lennie said. He stopped by the car and gestured for the keys.


Jack handed them over and they got in the car. "Debbie just doesn't think sometimes."


"That's apparent," Lennie replied sourly. "It's not that I'm ashamed of us, far from it, but that's not just who we are. I'm not just bisexual. I'm in love with you, but I'm also a cop, a father, a grandfather, a Knicks fan, a gambler, and a pool shark. My entire being does not rest on my sexuality."


Jack sighed. "A lot of people forget that when they find out about us, or about any other homosexuals. They think that determines our entire fate. They don't stop to think that we don't view them that way."


"Yeah. I don't point out to straight women that they sleep with men."


"Debbie just didn't see that that was what she was doing."


Lennie shook his head. "Sometimes, it's irritating."

"I know. You gonna be all right?"

"Yeah."

"You can call Vic later and tell them that I'm willing to play the game."


"Really?"

Lennie glanced at Jack and smiled. "Yeah, it'll be another opportunity to show off."


Jack laughed. "Okay."

Lennie wasn't ready to go back to the diner but was still hungry. "Where should we eat?"


*

Vic hung up after speaking with Jack. He went into the kitchen, where Debbie was doing the dinner dishes. "Lennie will play Sean," he told Debbie, picking up the dish towel.


"I still don't understand what I said," Debbie said to Vic. Her tone pleaded with him to tell her.


Vic dried a plate and sighed. "Do I remind you everyday that you're straight, that you like guys?"


"No, you don't have to."

"Well, you don't have to constantly remind gays that they're gay. Our personalities don't rest entirely on that fact."


"I know that."

"I think that sometimes you forget," Vic said. "You're in crusade mode almost all the time Deb. You can just let us be people every once in a while." His smile took the sting out of his words.


Debbie thought for a moment. Vic's words actually made sense. Gay rights was her main cause because she loved her brother and son dearly, but she was in crusade mode a lot. She sometimes forgot just to let them be people.


"Point taken."


*

Jack and Lennie ate dinner at Debbie and Vic's place with the two and Carl before heading to the bowling alley. It was the night before they were supposed to go back home. Debbie pulled Lennie to the side. "I'm sorry," she said.


Lennie wasn't angry anymore. He didn't hold hostility long, unless it was against one of his ex-wives. "It's all right, Deb."


"You forgive me?" Debbie asked. She pointed to her own head. "I forgot to think. I do that a lot."


Lennie chuckled. "Yeah, don't worry about it."

"Thanks."

As usual, Vic's dinner was great. "We should take him home with us," Lennie joked. "Then, we'd never eat bad again."


Debbie laughed. "I'll let you have him."


Jack laughed, too, and looked at Vic. "I think you'd cringe at some of our eating habits."


"A D.A. and a cop," Vic said and nodded. "Probably."

"The life of a cop doesn't exactly promote healthy habits," Carl agreed. His voice was light but his statement held a large grain of truth.


"That's true," Lennie said. "Cops are usually drinkers, smokers, gamblers, and assorted other bad habits."


"But we cut you guys some slack because you're jobs are so hard," Debbie pointed out. "As long as it's within reason."


Carl kissed Debbie's hand. "You're too good to us," he teased.


Debbie yanked her hand away. "Sometimes, I don't know why I put up with you." She pointed her finger and told Vic. "Don't say a word."


Vic laughed and offered as explanation to Jack and Lennie. "The walls in this house are thin."


Lennie's eyebrow rose. "Very thin?"


Vic nodded. "Very thin."


*

Sean was waiting for them with a pool cue in his hand. The rest of Sean's and Carl's co-workers were sitting off to the side. "I thought that you might not show," he told Debbie.


"I wouldn't miss it," Debbie replied.


"So, who' s your shark?"


Debbie pointed to Lennie. "Sean, meet Lennie." After introducing them, she sat at one of the tables by the pool table with Carl, Vic, and Jack.

Sean nodded. Like Carl, he recognized a fellow cop. It was almost a shame to humiliate a brother in blue, especially one he was meeting for the first time. "Where are you from?"


"New York," Lennie answered.


"Tough town."


"Yeah."


Sean gestured to the rack of pool cues. "Ready to play?"


Lennie grinned. He was going to enjoy this. "I'm always ready." He went to the rack, chose a cue, and came back to the table to chalk it. "Do you want to break?"


"You're offering me the break?"


"I think it's the fair thing to do."


"Let's flip for it."


"That didn't work for Brian," Debbie snickered.


Lennie shrugged. "Fine. Have a quarter?"


Sean nodded and dug one out of his pocket. "Call it."


"Heads."


Sean showed the coin. "Sorry."


"The one time I don't call tails," Lennie muttered and stood to the side of the table while Sean prepared to break.


Sean hit the cue ball hard and cleanly. The pool balls scattered to all directions of the table and the stripped ten ball went into the corner pocket. He sank five shots in a row. His sixth shot involved one of the stripes sitting by a corner pocket but blocked by the eight ball. It was a similar shot to the one Lennie had made to beat Brian. He tried it and missed.


"Too bad," Lennie said.


"I'm not worried," Sean replied confidently. He talked big because he thought that he could back it up.


"He should be," Vic stated.


Sean heard that and threw a glare over his shoulder in Vic's direction.


Vic met the glare and smiled innocently. Vic winked. Sean's face flushed and he turned back to the table.
Debbie laughed. "You're terrible, Vic."


Vic grinned. "He is cute Deb." He sighed. "It's just too bad that he's straight."


Once Lennie took his first shot, there was no stopping him. He was just too good. He sunk the eight ball when it was blocked by Sean's remaining two striped balls.


Sean stared at the table. "I can't believe you made that."


"My only explanation is that I'm good," Lennie answered.


Jack stood up, walked over to Lennie, and hugged him from behind. He rested his chin on Lennie's shoulder and grinned at Sean. "Good job," he said to Lennie.


"Thank you."

Sean looked at Jack and Lennie. "You two are really queers?"

Lennie laughed. Sean's jaw looked like it would fall off. "Yup. Want to play again?"


Being humiliated at the pool table once was enough for Sean, especially by a guy who slept with another guy. "No, thanks," he mumbled.

Lennie turned around in Jack's arms. "You want to play against me?"


Jack shook his head. "I don't know if my ego could take it."


*

As they left the bowling alley, Debbie slipped her arm through Lennie's.


"It was great watching you beat Sean's butt. I enjoyed it even more than you beating Brain."


Lennie chuckled. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."


Debbie transferred her arm to Carl. Jack quickly took her place. "What time are you guys leaving tomorrow?" she asked.


"Probably after breakfast," Jack answered.

"It's quite a drive," Lennie added.

"You guys have a safe trip. Drive carefully."

"We will."

Debbie lightly slapped Jack's arm. "And don't be such a stranger anymore. You can call every once in a while. We do have a phone."

Jack smiled at her. "I'll remember that."


The group separated at the cars. Jack and Lennie needed to get back to their hotel and get some rest before their drive in the morning. Vic shook hands with both Jack and Lennie. "Get home safely guys."


"Will do," Jack said.

"Good meeting you," Carl said to Lennie.

"It's always nice to get to know a fellow sufferer," Lennie responded lightly. He got into the passenger seat as Jack started the engine.

Debbie, Vic, and Carl watched Jack and Lennie drive away before getting into Carl's car. "I'm going to miss em'," Debbie said.


Carl put an arm across Debbie's shoulders and said fondly, "You're an old softie."


Debbie elbowed Carl. "Shut-up."


Vic laughed. "Let's get out of here."


*

When Jack and Lennie got back to their room, Lennie put his arms around Jack's waist. "So, have you enjoyed yourself?"


Jack grinned. "Yup."

"Good."

"Have you?"


Lennie nodded. "Yeah, but I'm willing to admit that I'm ready to go home."

"Me, too."

"Uh, Jack," Lennie began when Jack lightly kissed his neck. Jack's hands moved down to cup his ass.


"Yes?" Jack whispered in a husky voice.

"We have a long drive tomorrow."


"I know. This shouldn't take too long and we'll both sleep very well."


Lennie shut his eyes as Jack's mouth moved back to his neck. Jack always said that it wouldn't take too long, but Jack was a notorious tease. But he didn't want to resist. "Fine, but you're driving back."


Jack's eyes sparked with desire. "Okay."


The End