Timeless Love
by KelticDream


Johnny was in the corral riding the bronc. The horse bucked and twisted. and down he went, kicking up dust. He turned wild eyes at his rider. The dark-haired manlooked him in the eye, and smiled. The horse bucked harder. Rider and horse, going up and coming down hard. The chocolate colored horse, began to run around the corral. He couldn't throw the man who sat upon his back. He twisted at the rail, and he stood on his hind legs, and jumped forward and ducked his head. The man almost went over, but sat back.

Scott sat on the top rail watching. Jelly stood, yelling at Johnny. The horse bucked a few more times, then decided what the heck, he couldn't unseat that human. He turned and gave the rider a dirty look from his bloodshot eyes.

The rider dismounted, and as he handed the reins to one of the hands. The horse turned and ran his shoulder into Johnny, shoving him into the rail. The hand grabbed the reins. The horse neighed at Johnny, then turned and walked away.

Scott smiled, as Johnny came over the top rail, and landed lightly on the other side. "Seems that horse had to have the last laugh. Ready to go out to the east pasture?"

Johnny nodded and walked over to the water trough. Taking the ladle and pumped some water, he filled it, drinking the cold water ,then he poured a second one. Smiling he looked at his brother.

"Drink brother?"

"Yeah, I could use one." He reached for it, and Johnny poured it over his head. Water ran down his face and onto his shirt, He grabbed at his brother. Who danced out of his way, Scott gave his brother a mock angry look.

Laughing Johnny started backing away, Scott took off, his long legs covering ground. Johnny turned and ran, and ran around the corral, and through the barn, and up to the loft. Scott followed him.

Scott climbed to the top of the ladder, pulling himself up, he saw Johnny. He was close to the door, used for the hay. Scott stopped.

"Now I have you little brother. Now what shall I do to you . . . " Johnny smiled. He grabbed he rope by his head, swung out the door. Scott rushed over, afraid of what he might see. Instead there was his brother just touching ground. He looked up, and threw up his hand, then walked off. Scott smiled and turned, shaking his head at his "kid" brother.

Johnny mounted Barranca and waited for his brother, His smiled vanished, he had so much, but no one special to share it with. Johnny Madrid couldn't have it, but could Johnny Lancer? He sat musing about the future. He could see both he and Scott married, their kids running all over the ranch. He was still smiling when his brother joined him.


**************


The woman sat at her computer writing another story, caught up in the story she typed. It was almost as though the characters she wrote of were real flesh andbone. To her they had become such. She loved the characters. Espeally one. The handsome blue eyed dark-haired gunslinger-turned rancher. She loved the way he walked, talked, the way he used a gun.his boyishness. His steel. She loved the way his pants fit. The way he looked without a shirt. His compassion for others, his gentleness. Also his toughness, she loved it all. The kind of man, she wished she could find.

She finally turned off that computer, and looked at the pages she had written. Not too bad she thought, pushing a lock of hair out of her face. Glancing at the picture, she kept by her desk when she was writing, she smiled, at the handsome face. Who with a slight grin, seemed to be looking at her with those hypnotic eyes of his.

Next day, her thoughts were on the hike she was going to take through the woods. A time to relax, commune with nature, the walk was relaxing and she enjoyed it. Her grandfather had been a famous outlaw, the famous Jesse James. So she felt at ease with things western, and outlaws. She knew how to use a gun too, having inherited the speed.

Flowers were in bloom, and she saw a fairy circle. She stepped in to collect some of the brightly colored blossoms. The ground gave way, down and down she fell.


************


The Lancer brothers were gathering up some cattle that had strayed too far from the others. It had been a long hot day, one of the hottest days in awhile. Both men had emptied their canteens, and the cattle wouldn't cooperate. They went every way except forward, they bawled at the brothers when they tried to turn them.

They came to a stream, and the cattle finally settled down. Going into the water to cool off. Both brothers were tired of the ugly cattle, they dismounted and went a little further up stream, and there both stopped, and there lay a young woman. She lay near the water.

Both moved over to her.

Turning her over, they could find no injury. Johnny tenderly brushed the red hair out of her face. "Don't know her." He pulled over his neckerchief and wet it in the stream, wiping her face.

"Wonder what she is doing here? I don't see any signs of a horse." Scott had been looking at the watch on her wrist, he touched it. It looked like a pocket watch, but on her wrist?

"I don't know, but I think we should take her back to the ranch. He put his arms around her and lifted her, the two men walked to their horses. Scott took her long enough for Johnny to mount, then handed her to his brother.

She opened her eyes for a moment, and soft green eyes met blue ones. She took a deep breath, and stared at him, her cheeks turned pink. No, it can't be, and it wasn't possible! I couldn't be this lucky! But I am, I am in the arms of Johnny . . . She thought. She couldn't breathe. She thought she would faint. No one would ever believe this . . .

Then he smiled down at her, touched her cheek, she fainted dead away. The two men rode onto the house, Johnny glanced at the girl in his arms.


88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


She awoke to the quiet, finding herself in a large, well-furnished room. She sat up, she was in a large feather bed, pale cream sheets, and quilt. The room was well lite, by the large window across the room. Lacy curtains, moved in the slight breeze.

The room had a tall oak dresser, horses were carved into it. On top sat an oil lamp. A small table sat in one room, along with a screen, on it sat a pitcher, and bowl. Her eyes moved to the large over stuffed chair in the corner. Beside it was a table, a book lay on top it.

Pushing back the light blanket covering her, she got up. Where was she, what had happened? She walked across the room to the window, looking outside, she felt her breath catch. It was beautiful, rolling hills, mountains in the distance. Cattle, men riding horses. Where was she? She looked at her watch, only two hours since she had gone for her walk.

She crossed the room, and opened the door, looking down the hall. No one there, it was quiet. She went down the hall, and down the stairs. Turning into a large room. White hair, was bent over a desk, the large owner seemed to be concentrating on the papers in front of him.

"Excuse me, sir." the man looked up at her. He smiled kindly, getting to his feet. He moved over to her.

"Well young lady. I see you have finally awakened. I am Murdock Lancer, this is my ranch. Can I get anything for you, miss? ........."

"It's LaVerne Ross. I won't to thank you for your help. The way she spoke, he knew his guest was southern.

"You're welcome. Can I get you some coffee, or something stronger?"

"Oh coffee will be fine." She turned to look around the room. She know tested little things, she had over looked in her stories. She moved over to the sofa, and seated herself. Murdock brought the coffee over, seating himself across from her , in his favorite chair.

She thought to herself I am dreaming, how can this be real? The characters were made up, weren't they? What if they were real, and somehow she had known about them? Too much thinking, she pinched herself. Ow, that hurt, not dreaming. Okay where was the ladies room? There wasn't one, were there bubble baths? No television . . . oh that was hard. No computer, well she could live without it she supposed. But how could she tell all the girls about this? Wouldn't they be green with envy? Oh yes, she smiled.

The front door opened, and in came the boys. " Hey Murdock, you should have seen Johnny, he was trying to rope a steer, and somehow, it caught him . . . "He trailed off. His eyes met surprised green ones. Johnny kept smiling. He moved over to the sofa. His blue eyes dancing. He took her hand in his. Took it to his lips and kissed it.

"Welcome to Lancer. My name is Johnny Lancer."She looked into his eyes. Those eyes seemed to look into her soul. Her heart was beating, so she thought they could all hear it. Oh, this man . . . just the right height, at five foot nine. To put her head on his shoulder. Such a handsome face, that smile, why it could melt a glacier, in the arctic, in a manner of seconds. Those lips, her eyes moved to them. Full, soft, and she found it hard not to put hers to his. They seemed to invite her to sample them.

His build was perfect, all man, what a man. She caught herself in her quick study of him. As her eyes began to go lower, her cheeks began to crimson. Raising her eyes to his again, his smile increased. His expression said he knew what she was thinking. Darn him!

He in turn, checked her out. The fire in her red hair, to her green eyes, and small nose. To her high cheekbones, falling to her full, ripe red lips. His eyes stopped a moment, then continued on down her frame. Five foot four, petite, but well endowed in the right place. As her tight blouse revealed, slowly he returned to her face once more.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Johnny, I'm LaVerne." She said breathlessly. She turned to the other brother, she looked at him. He was tall, slender, angular facial feathers, slender nose. Beautiful greyblue eyes, that dark blond hair, that fell on his forehead. Darn it, and he was quite handsome too. He had the bearing of a prince.

"Miss LaVerne, I'm Scott Lancer." He took her hand in his, and kissed it."It is such an honor to have such a beautiful lady in our home." She smiled shyly at him, meeting his eyes. These boys could cause heart attacks. She turned to look at Murdock and saw him watching her closely, and smiling, knowingly. Darn him, he knew how she felt.

An hour later she was outside, upon a beautiful light brown mare. Next to her rode Johnny, and the butterflies were building. She was wearing one of Teresas' hats. Johnny had insisted on, to prevent sunstroke.

"You said you were from Texas. You're a long way from home."

"That's for sure, Johnny. The trip went kinda fast though, I don't remember much of it." Well at least she told the truth.

"You plannin to stay long? "She turned and met his eyes.

"I guess that depends. This trip was unexpected. I've never been to California before."

"It's not as dry as Texas. I've been there, more than once."

"You have?"

"Yeah, too bad we didn't run into each other then."

She smiled, thinking about time travel. Wonder if he would have liked her world."It's a big state." That and more than a hundred years away from here, she thought.

"Hey Johnny, how about a race?" He looked at her, studying her, a devilish look came over his face.

"What are the stakes?"

"I don't know. What do you think?" He put his fingers to his chin, pretending to think. She smiled at him, catching onto his way of thinking.

"Well if you win, I'll take you to the dance, tomorrow night. If I win, I get a kiss."

She pretended to consider his proposition. Her heart had leaped into her throat, who wanted to win? She thought, certainly not me. Though to be his date, . . . well . . .

"All right you're on." Smiling at each other, they took off at a full gallop. Both laughing as they rode. Unknowtest by the two, several pairs of unseen eyes were watching them, from a distance. Eyes that narrowed in hatred, plans plotted inside of evil minds.


888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


Both were smiling as they pulled the horses to a stop. Johnny pushed his off hat of his head, his smile was relaxed, and happy. He looked across at the lady on the mare. He felt as though he knew this girl from somewhere, some time. Familiar as the medallion around his neck. He felt a pull, which he knew was too soon. Wasn't it?

"I wish I had the fancy words, of my brother. But I am a simple man, I didn't go to college, and I don't have the fancy manners . . . " A soft hand reached out, it touched his cheek, in a light caress. He leaned into it.

"You don't need those things. That's not what makes the man. It's what's inside, and you are so full of words in there. There's not enough books to hold it all. All that makes you, the man that you are. You are as rare as a rose, in the middle of a blizzard."

He smiled at her, put his hand out, pulling a lock of her hair, pulling her to him. She leaned in the saddle, and he moved his head, till he was a breath away.

"Then listen to my words . . . " His breath soft on her lips. He moved the slightest bit. His lips touched hers softly, Her lips opened, a deep hunger inside rising, threatening to over power her, thus leaving her unable to refuse him anything. His lips were so soft, and yummy, she thought, his kiss was like caramel fudge.

She reached out and one hand reached to the opening of his shirt, holding on to it. Soft chest hair touched her fingers, by their own accord, they entered his shirt, caressing his skin, that was warm to the touch. Felt his heart beating against those fingers. He deepened the kiss, his hand in her hair, holding her still. Like a desert flower drinking up the long awaited rain, so she drank of his kiss.

She moved slightly, and would have fallen off the horse. But he grabbed her, not breaking the kiss, pulling her onto his lap. She sat on those firm thighs, held closer, his arms now around her. One of his hands rubbing her back, neither could seem to get close enough to the other. He moaned, and pulled away, his eyes dark, passion filled, his breath quick and uneven. She looked at him, not speaking, trying to calm the inner turmoil .

"If we don't stop now, I think we won't be able to."

"I know . . . but it feels so right."

"Too right, but I promise you that one day . . . that it will happen. If you want it to."

She reached out and touched a finger to his lips, remembering their possession of hers. She had gained so much since she arrived here, she had regained youth, not that she had been old. But she was eighteen again, and the chance to life part of her life over again, to love again. She had been given a gift, of meeting the perfect man. But no promises that she wouldn't find herself whisked back to the future any moment. She had never learned any spells that could do this. She had searched for years, traveling seemingly looking for . . . what? She never knew. Now she knew, this was what she sought her quest forfilled.

He helped her to return to her horse, from his. He grabbed her hand and held it a moment, winked at her. She smiled with her heart, at this man, this wild stallion. " LaVerne, do you like it here?"

She was silent for a moment. "Yes." She replied simply.

"Good." Their horses began to move again, toward the ranch.

That evening in her room, she stood looking at the clothes on her bed. The underwear, she knew what they were, but she didn't won't to put them on. The bloomers, were comical, the looked like balloons. She glanced at her lacy bikini bottoms, and thought, could I sew some more? No wonder women wore long dresses, had to cover up those funny things. She had to hurry if she was going to be on time for dinner, so she dressed, and told herself to forget what was. Be thankful for what she had, forget running water, phones, computers, and movies. But don't forget Fredericks, she smiled, as she finished dressing, and went downstairs. Did they have sewing machines back then? She could make some interesting things, if they did.

The morning sun, was bearable, for now, as he put wood planks, and timber into the wagon, for one of the line shacks. Hank, was taking it up, as Scott had to help get the calf ready for the barbeque,and help Teresa with the decorations. The party would be around six this evening.

He smiled and thought about the evening spent with Mary, and the long ride to her families' home. He touched his neck, remembering what marked his skin, the purple round bruise. His fault he had taught her about that, and what a student she was. He pulled his collar up, no use leaving himself open to his brother's amusement.

The reflection of a spyglass flashed, those it watched, were unaware of it. Neither the danger that waited, watched to spring the surprise. Men gathered, ready to do what they had planned. One brown eye looked through the glass, searching the ranch, seeking . . .


88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


The water felt good to her bare skin, and it lapped at her like a lovers touch. She moved through the water, lazily, it was quiet, and no one was around to see her. Except her horse, and she was a girl, and wouldn't care. After a while of swimming, she found a rock underwater, which was smooth, and she could sit on it, her upper half out of the water. The sun was hot, and it dried the drops of water from her skin, making it tingle.

Closing her eyes, she thought about that man with the hair of a raven's wing, eyes the blue of the sea, the body of an adonis. Well she smiled to herself, I don't know for certain, but I can imagine, can't I? Her thoughts turned to his pink shirt, not many men would dare wear that color, not in her time, unless he was . . .well Johnny wasn't like that.

She didn't hear anything, for her thoughts were too loud. Until a voice with


-FREE WEB SITE HOSTING - freewebsitehosting.com-


The Free Site

amusement rang out, turning she saw Johnny, who was Smiling broadly. Turning a bright red, covering herself with her arms, too late, she dove into the water, only her head sticking out.
"Hey mermaid!" He dismounted without taking his eyes off her face, he loved the blush, and he knew he shouldn't have looked. But how could he not? What a sight for his eyes, and his dreams too, causing his thoughts, to began to heat up.

"I thought you were working, somewhere with your brother. That you would be gone for awhile, and I thought I would enjoy this, no ones around."

"Well, lets see little mermaid, I don't have a fishing pole, or net. How does a cowboy catch a mermaid, ...with a rope?" He pulled his off Barranca, and started to prepare to lasso her. She ducked her head, and held her breath, minutes later she came up sputtering. He was laughing, minus the rope.

"If you were turn your back, I could get out of here and dress." He picked her up her clothes, his eye caught by a piece of red lace. Didn't look like anything he had seen before, but he liked it.

"Johnny Madrid, take your hands off my things!"

"Well if you won't them come and get them, and I will hold them for you. Need any help?" She tried to splash him, the water only fell short of his feet, as he moved. "Okay my girl, now I think you need help, getting out of that water, perhaps the waters too deep. He had a devilish glint to those smiling eyes. He quickly undid his gunbelt.

"All right, you turn your head and I come out, put down my clothes." He turned and chuckled to himself, at the same time listening to her. She grabbed her shirt, pulling it on, it just covering her thighs. He turned on his heel, and he grabbed the rest of her clothes.

"Now what will you give me for these pants? " She grabbed for them, then grabbed for the bottom of her blouse., then she laughed and lunged for him, knocking him over, landing on top of him. He wrapped his arms around her. "Now that is a nice start, you might get a sock for that." She reached up, and began to undo his buttons of his shirt, each time she opened one and pulled it apart, her lips brushed his skin.

"Maybe I can convince you to give me all." She whispered to him. He lay there, his eyes looking at the top of her head, he didn't move. Well so much for being good. She reached the last button she could, and pulled at the part tucked inside his pants. She pulled his shirt open. Ran her fingers through the hair there, It was soft, and it tickled her fingers. She inched slowly up his body, his black jeans rubbing her bare legs.

She stopped, they were face to face. She reached up a hand, caressing his face. Feeling it, memorizing it. Her lips kissed his chin, then his nose, and moved to his ear. There she sucked at its lobe, nipping it with her teeth, he moaned, his eyes glazed over, he heard a roar beginning to sound. He grabbed her around the waist, rolling them, till he was on tip, he pushed a lock of wet hair from her cheek.

He felt a stirring inside, he had to have her, he would. He touched her cheek, and ran his fingers over her lips, she opened them, licked at his finger. He watched her pink tongue, his head lowered, and his lips opened, capturing hers. Like a hawk with it's prey. His hot breath, warmed the inside of her mouth, her lips clung to his. His tongue was like a bobcat, on the hunt, it darted and finally caught hers, then the dance began. He was losing himself in the moment, her hands came up, one hand pulling his head closer, the other running down his body. It sent jolts of lightning down his body, all his nerve endings were on fire.

He reached down one hand and ripped open her blouse, his hand snaking inside Her breath caught, at his hand touched her, he first touched her over her heart, feeling her heart racing. Then his hand cupped, and filled it with her round flesh, her back arching, at the touch. As he moved his hand, and his kiss, possessed her, he was no longer able to think. She felt the power of their passion, it was like a violent storm, breaking all around them. Thunder and lightning, hurricane winds. It broke and nothing would hold it back.

Her hand moved down, and touched him, she could feel the urgency inside him. It begged for her help, as her body begged him for the same. He moaned loudly, and moved his body against hers, his hand moved, and traveled too. When his touch ignited the match, it arched her back, she grabbed his hand, pulling it closer.

Lifting her head, she looked up into his eyes, hers a stormy green, his a stormy midnight blue. "Please Johnny, please . . . now." She pleaded softly.

He smiled at her, his lips returning to the ones that were so lonely without his, he moved up. He moved her legs, which trembled, as did his hands. Their eyes met, for a brief moment, as he drove into the garden of delight. Like a ship tossed at sea, it had found a safe harbor. Her nails, raking his back, she moaned, and tossed her head. Johnny moved, saying her name and soft Spanish loving endearments. She did not need to understand them, the meaning was as old as time, and Adam and Eve.

Later as the two lover rode to town, Johnny was whistling, and he wasn't playing with anything for once, he was quiet content, and happy, He looked over at LaVerne, seeing how she looked at him, no doubts how she felt about him. He knew what he had to do.

LaVerne went to the dress shop, to pick up a few dresses, and things she would need. She felt she could fly, if she just tried, Johnny had gone off somewhere, promising to meet her later at the café for dinner. But who needed food? The girl behind the counter smiled, at the love struck expression in the girls face.

Johnny was just putting his purchase in his pocket, and he grabbed a bunch of violets that were for sale. A soft pink, like her blushes, he thought. He left the store, a spring in his step, and he couldn't stop smiling. All was right with his world.

He saw her coming down the street, and crossed the street to meet her. Just as gunshots rang out, and everyone scattered, He ran back to the side of the building, his gun out, and firing. He yelled at LaVerne to get down, just as she dove for the cover of the water trough. There were at least six men, different places on the street.

No one was coming to help, and he was as usual on his own.


88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


The street emptied quickly. Johnny looked around and saw only guns, and arms ,and heads of men, who had come for him. He wondered who they were this time, it never ended, did it, he thought, and of today of all days. He was in a good mood, and not in the mood for this, so they were going to find out whom they were dealing. He glanced over to where LaVerne lay beside the water trough. At least she had sense enough to keep her head down.

The gunfighter inside of him bubbled up, and Johnny Madrid was ready, to end it for whom ever had ruined his day. No playing nice, no mercy, he glanced around the side of the building again. Judging his chances and where all the men were, he smiled, and it was one of cold hard fire.

Bullets flew in his direction, wood splintering, and glass breaking. Johnny moved and darted out for a moment, and fired, fanning the hammer of his gun. The bullets, burrowed into one of the men down the street, who was half exposed. Deep into his flesh it tore through his chest. He feel backwards through the window behind him, and lay still. Johnny began to move, across the street, weaving and running. In the middle he rolled, as he did he fired, again he struck one of the men, through the head, and leg. Blood and gore splattered the post he had been trying to use for cover.

Johnny reached the other side, not far from the girl, and knew he had to get her out of there. A bunch of full barrels was stacked high, and Johnny used these for cover. He reloaded, and called out softly to her.

"LaVerne, when I start firing, I won't you to move, get over here, stay low." She lifted her head a little, and glanced at him. Did he think her an idiot? She didn't intend to stand up and dance, she knew to keep low, now if she just had a gun.

He began to fire, and she was up and onto the walk before the second shot. A bullet hit in front of her right foot, and that was it. She came up to Johnny, he looked around behind them. Seeing the alley behind, knew that the ones he faced would try it. He had to move, needed more ammo too, a good thing they were in front of the mercantile store. Both of them went to the side door, Johnny just kicked it open.

Moving to the front of the store, they found the store owner, down in the corner hiding behind a bunch of bags of flour. Johnny moved over to the area that held the guns and ammo. He grabbed a box of shells, unknowtested by him, LaVerne had grabbed a 45, and loaded it. She put more bullets in her pockets. Put the gun in the back of her waist band. He came up to her, and grabbing her hand he lead her back out the door.

They moved down the alley, and behind another building, they came up to the hotel. Johnny entered and took the steps two at a time, dragging her behind him. Up on the second floor, he opened a door, and entered, went to the balcony. He could see the men down the street, he turned.

"You are safer here, they are after me, I am going after them. " She turned angry eyes on him.

"Oh, is that right? I just sit here, waiting, I can use a gun, I can help you. Watch your back."

"I appreciate it darling, but I would rather have you safe." He smiled at her tenderly, and she almost gave in.

"I'm going to help you, and that's that."

"Boy you are stubborn as a mule."

"As stubborn as you, Johnny, but I am going!"

"Temper too, . . . "he smiled again, and touched her cheek."And like me I know. All right, but you stay behind me. Oh . . . what are you going to use as a weapon, your smile? Or show them those legs?"

"That's it, you're going to get it when this is over . . . "

"I sure hope so, It was so good the last time." He pulled her close, all serious in his expression. His eyes looking into hers, as his lips met her, in a desperate kiss. Lips clung, and sucked and moved. Tongues searched for and found their mate, and mated. Johnny grabbed her bottom and pulled her against him. She moved against him, and heard his soft moan. Her knees were getting weak, and she felt the bed behind her knees.

Johnny lowered them to the bed, He began to touch her, he liked the way she filled his hand. As he touched her through her clothes, she felt herself melting, and wonted more. She looked up into his eyes, he was watching her.

"I should be out there, shooting those bastards." But he didn't move. She smiled at him, putting her hand onto his cheek, and caressing it.

"They won't disappear. Maybe the sheriff will get them." She put her other hand down between them, touching him intimately, his body answering her touch. She smiled at him. He moved and began to kiss her with full grown passion. His tongue possessed her mouth, and she felt the world spin, he was a very good kisser. Their breath mingled, and she couldn't get enough of him, or his kiss. Kisses that were as sweet as the sweetest desert, as heady as the most expensive champagne.

She felt his hand begin to raise her skirt, her heart stopped beating for a moment. Oh yes, she thought, yes . . . He began to tug at her underwear, and tore it. His searching hand found the hotness, and he explored, as his kiss explored her mouth. Her moan was long, and it sounded inside his mouth. She reached for him, began to undo his pants. Touching him, and enjoying the silken skin, that was Johnny.

He moved her legs, and drove in. He moved like a horse in a race, faster and faster, harder and harder. He drove her and himself over the cliff, leaving them spiraling out of control. He sat up, and took a deep breath. She stretched like a kitten. He fixed his clothes, as she got up. He shook his head at her, as he looked into her eyes.

"You're something else, lady, I have never left a fight for this before. Too distracting at the moment. We'll get back to this later." He pulled her over to him. "Now what about a gun?" She picked up the gun off the bed, and showed him. "You know how to use this?

"Sure do, cowboy, I learned when I was five. I'm good with it too. Lets go." She took the lead to the door, and he took it back again out in the hall.

Outside in the sunshine again. He had to think of a new plan, couldn't go over the top of the buildings as he planned, not with her. They took the alley and came up behind the building some of the men were hiding earlier. Johnny went through the back door of the dress shop. It seemed his day for back doors, he came up to the front. He looked out, and there stood one of them to the left. Johnny tapped the door with his foot, and when he turned to shoot, Johnny cut him down. The man had a new belly button, and a couple of extra buttonholes. He and LaVerne moved out of the building, three to go. He thought of getting the horses and riding out. If he had been alone he wouldn't have considered it. Bullets, came hitting wood, and glass, and Johnny ducked and ran dragging, LaVerne with him. He got to the barn, two men were waiting for them in there. Johnny began a shoot out with the men, and he shoved the girl to the side. She kept low, and moved along the side of the barn. Coming up near the two men. They were concentrating on Johnny. One know tested her, maybe because of the red blouse she wore.

He turned to her, a smile on his face, it turning to a lear. She reached for her gun, and he saw her move and started drawing his gun up again. She fired, knocking him back against the beam, and again. His legs wobbled, and he slid down the beam and his head fell forward. She looked at him, she had killed a man.

Johnny saw it and so did the other man, who turned toward her. Johnny yelled and the man turned to him, the man fired, he nicked Johnny on the upper arm. Johnny fired and hit him, taking his eye, The man screamed and fell.

Johnny moved over to LaVerne where she stood, staring at the man. He knew what she felt, He knew the cost, of pulling the trigger. He pulled her into his arms, and held her as she cried. He whispered to her, softly, rocking her in his arms.

Murdock was waiting for dinner, when the two walked in the door. He knew something had happened, by the look on Johns face, trouble had found him again. They walked into the big room. LaVerne sat on the sofa, and Johnny went to get two glasses, one tequila, and one of wine. He came and sat beside her, and handed her the drink, she took it and drank. Murdock watched.

"It's a long story, and I'll tell you later Murdock. Is dinner ready?

"We are just waiting for Scott, he"ll be along in a moment. Did you two have a good day?"

Johnny smiled and looked at a blushing LaVerne. Then to his father."It was until this afternoon." His father caught the expressions, the blush, and his sons look of contentment, and happiness, and something else. He wondered just how far things had gone between the two young people. Maybe he should have a talk with his boy, no he couldn't do that, Johnny knew how to act, how far to go. He knew...he'd get Scott to do it.


888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


After dinner that night, LaVerne had gone to her room, and Johnny went outside to walk.

He was at the corral, looking up at the stars when his brother came up, behind him. Scott put a hand on the rail and looked up at the stars as well.

"Nice night, huh brother?"

"Yes, a nice night, stars are so bright."

"Johnny, I need to talk to you." Johnny turned and looked at his brother, he straightened his back, and a cautious look crossed his face.

"Yeah, about what? He glanced toward the house, and a certain upstairs window." You and Murdock, won't to know about my feelings for her."

"Yes, we are concerned you will get hurt. We like her, but we are wondering where this is going."

"Don't you think that is my business. I am grown, and I know what I am doing."

"Don't get defensive Johnny, I am family, and families look out for each other."

"I know Boston, but I know its kind of sudden, but I feel as though I have known her forever. I feel complete, I feel as though I have found something that I was supposed to have all along, and now I have. I love her, and I need her. When I am with her, I want nothing more than her.

Her smile, her touch, her kiss. I wont her." Scott listened and understood, what his brother was saying. He put his hand on his brothers' shoulder, and gave it a squeeze.

"That's wonderful Johnny, that you have found the one thing we all want."

"It's the first time I have put these feelings into words."

"Oh by the way, Murdoch wonted me to talk to you, well he wanted . . . " Embarrassed at his thoughts, he turned his head.

"Let me guess, big brother, he sent you to tell me about the birds and the bees." Johnny laughed, and slapped his brother on the back.

"Yeah, he did. He thinks you could use some advice, about that. With you and LaVerne . . . well he thinks . . . that you are . . . you know. He didn't wont you to get into trouble . . . "

"Stop blushing Scott, get on with it, tell me all about it" Scott turned red, and began to chew on his lower lip.

"Well Johnny, I thought you knew. But I guess I can tell you. You have a girl, and a man, and they . . . ah . . . have feelings for each other . . . and they start kissing and then . . . ah . . . they start touching . . . well it leads to . . . well they . . . "

"Enough Scott." Johnny burst out laughing. "You sure are bad at that, why don't you tell me about the silk handkerchiefs? Does the color matter?" Scott turned redder, and he shook his head.

"That was mean, boy. How do you know about the silk?"

"I've been around too Scott."

Johnny put his hand on his brothers' arm. He smiled a warm smile."Thanks brother, for everything." He turned and went back into the house. Scott watched him, and smiled.

The next day after breakfast, Johnny and LaVerne were out riding. Johnny had packed a lunch, and they were making a day of it. The air seemed sweeter, and the sky bluer, and life was good, even the birds sang love songs.

Johnny looked over at her, he reached over and grabbed her arm, pulling over to him. She looked at him, love in her eyes, for the man she rode beside. They moved together, lips touching, and it was like a volcano exploding, LaVerne felt it to her toes. His kisses were still like caramel fudge, and they were all hers. She drank of the kiss, as though it were ambrosia. It intensified, her desire for this man. He pulled her head closer and deepened the kiss. He drank like a thirsty dessert drinks the rain, of her mouth. He never got enough of the woman, whom he had come to love.

He suddenly pulled her over to his lap, she smiled at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. His eyes were a stormy sea, and his full kissable lips were wet, and inviting. She was drawn to them, like a moth to a flame. He turned her so she was facing him, riding backwards. Her legs resting on his thighs. She looked him in the eyes, and licked her lips slowly.

He undid her blouse quickly, and he began to rain kisses from her throat down. He kissed, and sucked the rose buds. She leaned back, and sighed. Her hands running through his hair. She could feel his smile, against her skin. If heaven was anything like this, she couldn't wait, as long as it was with the man she loved.

He ran his hands over her, his touch tender, and loving. Each touch sent tingles down her body. When he pulled her up, and recaptured her lips, she wonted nothing more than to be a part of him forever. She reached and sought her lover body, and her fingers opened his shirt, and touched his skin, she felt his heart beating against her fingers. His skin was so warm, and it was the only flesh she ever wonted to touch again.

He grabbed her around the waist and lifted her up and centered her. She felt a burst of lights and fireworks, as she grabbed his shoulders, as he held her. Barranca moved slowly. As she bounced slowly along in her lovers arms, as he made love to her. Giving her the ride of her life. She would never again ride a horse without remembering this day. The storm of passion carried them onto the edge and down into paradise.

They were laying on the blanket, having eaten their lunch, it was a beautiful spot, near the water, a nice tree for shade, and birds singing, and crickets. Even the water sang for the lovers, as it ran its course. They watched the clouds and picked out the shapes. Johnny lay with his head in LaVernes lap, chewing on a blade of grass. He loved being with her, her fingers running through his hair.

"LaVerne, I wonted to tell you, that I love you. I think I will forever."She turned her head down and looked at him, her eyes misty, and loving. She looked into those blue eyes.

"I love you to, and I know I always will. Never forget that no matter what happens. Remember that I wont nothing than to be with you forever". He reached up and touched her face.

"It sounds like you are leaving me.Don't leave me....ever. I won't you to stay with me forever." She smiled sadly, and brushed her fingers across his lips.

"Know that I would never leave you ,cause I wonted to, I might not have a choice.I come from another time, in the future, by some magic, I am here. But I don't know if its forever. I have looked all my life for something, never content, and always searching. Until I met you, then I knew that my search was ended, I had found you."

"I don't care if you are from the future, all I care about is now,us.I won't let us be separated, we belong together." He pulled her head down and kissed her. He relaxed and listening to the sounds around him, he dozed off, listening to LaVerne telling him a story, about another time, another place. He began to dream

When he awoke an hour later, he sat up, and looked at her, she was slowly fading away,tears in her eyes. He grabbed for her, but she was mist. She called to him.

"No!!!!, no....come back!" He called her name as she vanished. Tears streamed down his face. She was gone. He saw a piece of paper on the blanket and picked it up, it was in her handwriting.

Bye my Love
It has taken more than a century to find,
A special love as true as yours and mine.
Against the darkness I have your light,
Giving me the will to carry on, to fight.
Such happiness and love to me you bring,
Just as surely as summer follows spring.
I need you Johnny, more than I need air,
Far from you, is more than I can bare.
With your voice and body you tantalize,
I see the desire and love in your eyes.
Never to kiss your lips,or see your face,
I shall miss your caresses,and your embrace.
For us I had such plans and dreams,
They aren't meant to be it seems.
I am the lone bird who no longer sings,
I care no longer what tomorrow brings.
From another time I came to you my love,
I pray for forever with you, to heaven above.
If fate should take me away from you, today,
Remember that I wonted nothing more than to stay.

He held the paper close to his heart, as he wept for his lost love.

Back in the future, LaVerne sat in front of her computer, she felt such pain, and felt her heart breaking, and her reason for living gone. She could not write any more about him, it was too painful, she missed him so. Fate had been so cruel, to give her such love and take it away. She had the bitter sweet memories of their time together, it would have to be enough, to last her a life time. For none could ever take his place.

Several days later a knock on the door, and she went to answer it. She opened it and froze, there stood the only man for her, her Johnny. She rushed into his arms, as he grabbed her, he pulled her into the house,he kissed her with all the warmth and love that was in him. She pulled away after a few minutes and looked up at him.

"How?"

"Same as you, I guess. I was riding Barranca, thinking of you, and suddenly everything started to spin, and I found myself here. I told you nothing would ever separate us again." He pulled her back into his arms, and showed her just how much she meant to him.



The End