Fandom: LA Heat

Pairing: Richardson/MacDonald

Rated: Pg

Title: Just Another Night

Sequal to: One Night Out

Archive: Sure, just tell me where.

Feedback addy: Reets@united.net

Warning: Not beta'd. Hit delete now if that bugs you. All mistakes are mine, sorry about that.

Disclaimer: Not mine, just borrowing. Summary: How much did Chase remember after that One Night Out?

Just Another Night
by Reets

It was Wednesday. Hump day for most people. Chase MacDonald sat at his desk and mopped. He hadn't been able to corner Richardson for an explanation of what had happened the other night. But today he had a plan. The latest case involved a lot of stakeout work and he had gotten himself assigned the late shift with Richardson, so he could get his questions answered. August had said good night a few minutes before and he was just about to grab his coat and head out when Richardson came through the door with a struggling figure. It was a good thing he was cuffed, because he spun and tried to assault the officer next to him. Richardson shoved and he landed face down across Chase's desk. "Special delivery?" He looked up at his friend. "Thought you were on stakeout duty tonight?"

"I am, was, but since I have the suspect in custody, not much need of a stateout," He pulled the guy up. "Now is there?"

"Richardson, I need to talk to you."

Harvey flashed him a grin as he went around the corner. Chase was about to follow when the Lt. Called for him. "MacDonald, as soon as Richardson tucks that guy away, I need you two."

"Right away."

**

The night was spent investigating a murder. They had discovered a body in a dumpster near the water, Richardson was right in front, leading the investigation while Chase stood back and brooded. Harvey noticed the non-cooperative gestures that Chase was making and finally pulled him aside. "Listen, I don't know what your problem is, but we've got a job to do."

"Are you implying I'm not doing my job?"

"What's bugging you, the truth."

"The other night, did we.you know."

"Yes and no." Chase followed Richardson back around the corner.

"What does that mean?"

"It means nothing, Chase. Just drop it." Richardson turned back to his book and began writing things down again. But he mumbled under his breath. "You're more trouble than you're worth."

"What?"

"Let's see if we can find her purse."

Three hours later it was nearing dawn and Chase yawned repeatedly. "I'm about beat."

"Yeah, working the night shift is rough." "Why are you doing it?"

"Just wanted a change, that's all."

"Change from what?"

"Listen, I'll get this paperwork filed, why don't you head on out I know you're working early tomorrow."

"Nope, you're stuck with me another night, Lt. Said I had to finish off the week."

"Anyway, I know you're tired so."

"I was thinking about some coffee actually." Richardson held up a cup of the local brown sludge. "Real coffee?"

"Yeah, well, I've been drinking this stuff for so long, I don't think I'd recognize real coffee."

"I have some great beans at home. I could grind them, pop in some bagels and we could have breakfast on the beach."

"Do you invite August to breakfast?"

"Yeah and Kendra, so what do you say?"

Richardson studied him for a minute. He couldn't resist thinking how absolutely beautiful Chase was when he had that sleepy puppy look. He cleared his throat to clear his mind. "Sure."

"Great, I'll get these things filed and meet you at my place."

"Sure Chase."

**

Richardson grabbed his coat and walked out of the station at 7am on the dot. Being there since nine the night before gave him a little leave way as to when he came and went. Chase had departed almost an hour earlier to make his coffee and bagels. He sat in his Mustang and thought of the problems he could cause by appearing at Chase's house. He'd said yes, but it was just a smoke screen so that Chase would stop asking. Finally he started the engine and drove slowly to the beach. He parked near Chase's house, but not in his driveway and headed down to the beach for a walk. His mind wouldn't stop thinking about how wrong it would be for him to try to do this to Chase. Heck, why did he want to do it to himself? Chase was straight, almost painfully so and he knew he'd never get him to admit that he could be attracted to other men. The walk turned into a hike and by the time he realized it, it was 8:30. Very late for morning coffee after working all night. He sighed and started walking back toward Chase's house.

Chase sat on his deck and waited. He wasn't sure why he had invited Harvey back to his house. Sure he'd invite August, but it was usually August and Kendra, the couple. And mostly before Jody had left. A pain shot through his chest at the memory of her name. Jody was his love; his life and he believed her to be his mate. But why could he not commit to her? Why could he not marry her? What was missing from their relationship? He frowned and poured himself a fourth cup of coffee. It was good and strong, but he just sat and watched it. The black surface, the steam, the whiteness of the cups. He glanced down the beach again to see if Richardson was there, but nothing. He checked his watch for the fifteenth time, 8:30. Even the coffee could not keep the yawns at bay now. He'd been up almost 24 hours. He had to get some rest sometime. His eyes grew heavy as he watched the beach for any signs of his friend.

Richardson stepped quietly onto the porch and watched as Chase slept in the morning sun. The blonde hair was a little disarrayed and he started to reach out and touch it, but his hand trembled, so he pulled back. In the next instant he was down the steps and headed to his car. As he sat down in the driver's seat he realized that Chase would probably sleep where he was most of the day. He knew he had to do something, so he gave his cell phone a buzz and waited just long enough for Chase to wake up before he closed his. His feelings would have to wait until another time. He was exhausted as well.

That night a very sleepy Chase MacDonald waited at the station for Harvey Richardson. His yawns didn't go unmissed by the Lt and the older man stepped close. "And why did you want the night shift this week?"

"I don't remember." He smiled and the older man patted his back. "Isn't Richardson suppose to be here already?"

"Right here." He turned to see his temporary partner lugging several stacks of folders. "Lots of paperwork tonight, even before we hit the streets."

"Morning to you too."

"Yeah. Let's get started."

They rummaged through old files until Chase thought his head would explode. "And what exactly are we looking for here?"

Richardson smiled and handed Chase a paper with about twenty things on it. "If you find any of those names or places in the file, put it here." Chase groaned and put his head down on the stack. "Not enough coffee today?"

"Coffee, yeah, where were you this morning?"

"I got out of here late, didn't think you'd still be awake." He didn't meet Chase's eyes as he fibbed.

"I have a phone, you know. You could have called."

"Jeez, Chase it was just coffee, wasn't it?"

Chase grew pale and stiff in his chair. "I think I have to visit the little boy's room."

"TMI, partner."

Chase splashed cold water on his face and shook off the sleepy feeling. The night could be a disaster if he was too sleepy to work. A familiar face appeared in the mirror behind him. But as he stared into the blue pools, his world went blank. Jody stood there and crossed her arms. "What?"

"What?" A dark haired uniformed cop stepped up to the sink beside him and washed his hands. "You loosing it MacDonald, or what?"

"Yeah, guess so." Chase headed back to the squad room. Richardson had gathered all the folders and put several on his desk.

"Those are the ones we need to go through. Connections to the Mitchell Everett murder."

"Great, more paperwork."

"Actually two of these guys run night clubs. You up to clubbing tonight Chase?"

Chase followed him out and got into the black Mustang beside him. "Now?"

"Ronny Cowen, 35, part owner in the "Be Bad" night club. Known to have a grudge against Everett. Let's see if he has an alibi."

The night club scene wasn't very busy on a Thursday night, but it was busy enough to intimidate the hell out of Chase. The Be Bad was a gay leather club and everywhere Chase turned another man winked at him. Richardson seemed unaffected by the crowd and walked right up to the bartender. Chase stayed close.

"Looking for the owner," Richardson flashed his badge. "Cowen, seen him around tonight?"

"Nope, he's usually busy at the other clubs during the week. Only here on Friday nights."

"Really? What other clubs?" The bartender nodded as Richardson jotted the info down.'

"Man, he's so straight he makes me look totally bent." Richardson looked at the bartender, then at Chase, who was trying to have a conversation with a woman at a nearby table. "You better get him out of here, before Clairesse takes him in the backroom."

"I don't know, he might enjoy it." Richardson took Chase by the arm and nodded to the woman.

"I was trying to get information."

"Yeah, but what kind?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Look, I don't think she's your type."

"What do you think my type if Richardson? I think we definitely have a problem here."

Richardson stepped back and let him go. "You want to chat up Ms. Clairesse, go for it."

"I might!" Chase crossed his arms and stood there. Richardson was heading out the door. A large, bald man with a leather collar stepped between Chase and the door and looked down at the blonde detective. "Richardson! Wait up."

Once they were outside Harvey grabbed Chase by the lapels and slammed him against the car. "Look MacDonald, we have a job to do. I'm trying hard to do it. I'm not coming to you, I don't want to kiss you and I don't want to fuck you. If you think chatting up a transvestite makes you a bigger man and less of a homophobic pig then go for it."

"Transvestite?"

"Oh shit, you really are a pig, aren't you?" Richardson got into the car and slammed the door.

"I didn't know." He got in the car, just as the top came up. "I swear it."

Most of the ride back to the station was quiet. Richardson could feel Chase's eyes on him and he was about to scream when Chase spoke up. "You don't want to kiss me?" He held on as the car came to a screeching halt and Richardson got out and headed down the beach. "Oh come on. Harvey."

Chase followed him down the beach for a little bit. "It's midnight, shouldn't we be heading back?"

"Let's clear the air, Chase."

"Good. I need you to do clear up some things 'bout the other night. Sex, it happened right?"

"Chase, have you ever had sex that didn't include penetration?" "Well, no." He smiled smugly. "Always get to that base."

"Well then, there ya go."

"Whoa, wait a sec. I remember the big, boobed brunette and you."

"And?"

"And more drinking, great blow job." Richardson laughed a little. "What?"

"How freaky is this Chase? It wasn't Carla." Chase's face turned pale in the moonlight and Richardson stepped closer to him. "Freaked yet?"

"It was."

"Yeah, it was."

"Great, I mean. Damn." Chase knitted his eyebrows together and grinned. "You?"

"Yeah, me."

"Should I thank you?"

"Did you enjoy it?"

"Well, yeah." Chase smiled that goofy grin, and then a frown covered his face. "But I.

"I know, you're not interested. So, let's drop it and get on with the night." Chase nodded. "Just a few more hours then you'll be back with August."

"What about you?"

"August isn't my type."

"Oh haha."

** They finished their night with little answers on the Everett murder and said their good nights. As MacDonald headed for the car, he stopped by Richardson's.

"Richardson."

"Yeah."

"You want to get some coffee, some real coffee?"

"Not afraid I'll stand you up again?"

"You won't, not a date, just coffee. My place."

"Sure."

Chase fixed coffee and warmed up bagels. They sat and watched the early morning joggers as they made their morning run in the warming sun. "We should go for a swim."

"Exercise, after working all night?"

"Yep, helps the metabolism."

"I don't have any trunks."

"I can loan you some." Richardson's eyes met the dark blues ones and Chase grinned. "If ya want."

"Okay, quick swim."

They changed and headed into the surf. The waves were rough and pounded the shore mercilessly. "Looks like a storm is coming in."

"Yep, big one." Richardson dove beneath a wave and toward the open sea. He emerged a few feet from Chase. "Rip is bad today."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, no problems, but it would be nice just to float."

"I have two boards."

"Yeah, but they're all the way in and I'm not in the mood for that much exercise."

"Okay, we'll just float then."

"Fine by me, but we've got to get a little further out." Chase dove beneath the next wave and swam further out. Richardson caught up to him quickly. The conversation turned to work, partners and finally Jody. It seemed that Chase was totally lost without his woman. Richardson couldn't help but tease. When muscles began to ache and brains began to tire; the two men headed back to shore. They had to drag their tired bodies from the water and into the beach house.

Chase let Richardson shower first. When it was his turn, he took extra long under the hot spray of water. When he came out and got dressed Richardson was sprawled on the bed fast asleep. "Hey, Harv."

"Hmmm," The older man turned to Chase and opened his eyes. "Join me?"

"What? No.ahh.I mean."

"Oh come, Chase. Are you trying to tell me you invited me here, just for coffee?"

"Coffee, yeah. That's it, coffee." Richardson got up, walked toward him, he wore only his boxers briefs, and Chase moaned at the outline of an erection beginning. He looked at the ceiling, to the floor, anywhere but Harvey's face. "Don't do this to me."

"Do what?"

"This," Richardson stepped closer and Chase was trapped between him and the wall. "I can't do this."

"What, we're just standing here." Richardson reached out and caressed a firm pec. "Touching, is that it, you can't touch."

"What?" Chase's eyes were clenched tight and his mouth hung open. His hot breath was bathing Richardson's neck. "Oh god."

"Can I touch?"

"What?" Chase chanced a look at Richardson's hand as it slipped down his belly and to the tightly tucked towel. "Why?"

"Cause I want to, cause you want me to."

"Me? I don't." Chase moaned as a warm hand caressed him through the towel.

"You don't?"

"Don't.want you to stop."

"Look at me." Richardson reached out and cupped the back of Chase's neck. "Look at me."

Chance moaned as he met those dark eyes. His mind was going, no question now. He wanted Richardson to touch him, suck him, and make him cum. But when he met those gentle eyes, he wanted more. "I am."

"Can I kiss you?"

"I don't." Chase started to object, but Richardson was pressed tight against him now, their mouths inches away from each other. It was so natural to tilt his head and meet those waiting lips.

Richardson almost let his guard down as Chase returned the kiss with passion. Maybe this blonde beauty wasn't as innocent as he first claimed. He explored the sweet mouth, running his tongue over teeth and tasting every part until both of his hands were tangled in wet blonde hair. The man before him trembled and Richardson had to take a huge breath as they parted. He brushed a stray hair from Chase's face and kissed him gently once more. It took every ounce of energy, but he took a few steps back and let Chase recover. The look of passion on the other man's face made him moan. Of all the things he done in his life, this was one of the hardest. "I'll see you around." He grabbed his jeans and shirt and headed out the door.

Chase just stood there, very aroused and very confused. He blinked and Richardson was out the door. He felt his lips with his fingers, they were bruised he could feel it, but the fire that kiss had ignited would not be quenched today. His would be lover had fled, again.

 

End