Title: Ghosts of the Past

(PG-13)

Author: Mike

Fandom: Sixth Sense(T6S)/Kung Fu-The Legend Continues(KFTLC)

Rating: PG-13

Warnings: contains mild profanity

Disclaimer: KF-TLC and its characters belong to Ed Spielman, Michael Sloan, and Warner Brothers. Sixth Sense and its
characters belong to M. Night Shyamalan, Spyglass Entertainment, and Hollywood Pictures. I have received no money for this story.

Characters: KFTLC--Kwai Chang Caine, Peter Caine, Sgt. Broderick, Lo Si, Matthew Caine, Su Ling. T6S--Cole Sear, Malcolm Crowe
Original Characters: none

Spoilers: KFTLC--"Initiation", "Shadow Assassin", "Bardo", "Challenge", "Sing Wah", "Rite of Passage", "Sacred Chalice of I Ching", "Brotherhood of the Bell". T6S--the ending/ truth about Malcolm

Summary: Dr. Malcolm Crowe and Cole Sear must help a ghost who was murdered by the Sing Wah during WW2--Su Ling, wife of Matthew Caine; Cole must go to to Chinatown to seek out Matthew's grandson, Detective Peter Caine, so they can find a way to reunite the two soul-mates for a final farewell. Notes: KFTLC--takes between "Dark Side of the Chi" and "Requiem". T6S--takes place during the movie..immediately after Cole/ Malcolm helped Kyra Collins show her father the truth behind her death.



GHOSTS OF THE PAST
by Mike



3:45pm
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA
COLE'S HOUSE

Cole Sear had just returned home from a trip. His new friend, Malcolm Crowe, had assisted him in his "gift". Cole could see ghosts..dead people who walk the earth, unseen by others. They, the Wanderers (as Crowe called them), remained in our world because there was unfinished business in their life; whether they were abandoned, hurt, afflicted, abused, or whatever. They all had one thing in common, though: they all died in an accident or were murdered.

Before, Cole was always afraid of them, fearful that they wish him harm (some do). Dr. Crowe, the child psychologist, explained in the church that they just want help..and maybe if Cole helped them, they would leave. So far, it worked. He helped a girl named Kyra Collins, who died of 'a bed-ridden sickness', caused by the motherly figure in the home. They had given a video-tape to the father, revealing the truth. The girl left finally, in peace. When they got back, Malcolm went home.

Cole was in his room, under the red-blanket tent. He's holding a flashlight, reading a magazine. Suddenly, the room had gotten cold. He shivered at the change in temperature, breathing out cold air, the vapor..uh-oh. 'Someone' was here. He slowly opened the curtain of the tent, shaking in fear. No one was there. He ran out and turned around. He saw it.

A young woman, Chinese, wearing old clothes..probably from the 1940's or 50's. She had a bleeding wound across her chest.

Cole approached her. "Excuse me. Is there something..you want to tell me? I'm Cole."

The woman spoke, holding her wounded chest. "I am Su Ling. I was killed..my child taken by my killers, the Tigers. Bastards!!"

He stepped back. "Please, don't hurt me."

She shook her head. "No, don't fear me. My husband taught me the value of life..peace and tranquilty is our path. We must honor life..'there is always another way', he always said."

"Your husband?"

"Yes. Matthew...Caine. He was a priest."

He walked up to her. "I can help. Maybe you need to find your lost love..do you blame him for your death?"

"No, though I feel his emotions when he thinks of me. He always thinks of me with great sorrow..but he couldn't have saved me, he was in France during the Second World War."

"Maybe you need to reassure him..perhaps THEN you'll be free. We should find him, Malcolm could find out where he lives-"

"Sorry, child, I don't think it's posible now. After years of wandering, listening to people's conversations..my Mathew died in the Himalayan Mountains in the 1950's."

"Then maybe we should talk to his family..does he have any?"

"I think..yes! My son, Damon Caine, was stolen and raised by these assassins. Trained to be a killer, perhaps to be their leader one day. But Matt had an older son...Kwai Chang. If he's still alive, he's about 50..and a priest like his father. He may have a son also."

"Where would Kwai Chang be?"

"At a Shaolin temple..maybe."

"I'll go to Crowe..he can help us."



4:30pm
ROSEWOOD PARK

Cole was in the park, where he saw Malcolm sitting on a bench.

The psychologist looked up from his notes. "Oh, hi. How are you?"

The boy said, "Okay, I guess. I was thinking about what you said to me before. In the church?"

"Yes?"

"You said that the ghosts know I'm one of those very rare people who can see them. Well...I'm ONE of those people..are there others?"

"Yes. Maybe a handful or two in the whole world, but I'm sure there out there somewhere."

"Did you ever meet one? Besides me?"

Malcolm sat back, trying to recall. "Well..besides Vincent Gray? No, but I knew one of their kids.. A long time ago, I'd say 15-17 years ago, I counseled a young boy at an orphanage in California. A city called Braniff. Anyway, this boy..Peter. He lost his mother at a young age and his father died in an explosion. His father was some kind of priest..mystical, mysterious..what did they call it? Hmm..Ah! Shaolin. They wear orange robes, shave their heads, meditate..they live in Oriental temples. He and Peter lived there, before it was destroyed. By some crazy kung-fu priest named Dao."

"So what happened to Peter?"

"I heard he was adopted by a police captain by the name of Paul Blaisdell. I don't know what happened after, I lost track. Anyway, he claimed that his father could see things, know things..kind of like you can. He had visions, premonitions, that kind of stuff. I didn't really believe in that mystical stuff, until I met you, until I *believed*. Even so..these people are unusual. They can probably see ghosts as well..maybe their descendants have it, too. I think they either learn it or it's part of their nature. Or maybe they inherit the trait, I don't know for sure. Shamans, priests..mystics. I guess
if his father hadn't died, Peter would have that gift also."

"Oh. Well..I saw someone last night."

"A ghost?"

"Yes. Su Ling. She was killed about 50 years ago..during the war. Her son was stolen, then they killed her. Her husband was away in France."

Malcolm paused. "What does she think of her husband..."

"She doesn't blame him, but he feels sorrowful, grievous and regretful about her death. But she heard he--Matthew Caine--had died.

But he did have a son, Kwai Chang."

He looked up in surprise. "What? You mean, Kwai Chang Caine?"

"Yes, a priest like Matthew."

"Wait...that's Peter's father."

"Do you know where Peter is now?"

"I think so. I heard of him on the news a few years ago, he stopped a robbery at a nightclub. He's a police detective in the Metro Division in Chinatown. I think it's...the 101st Precinct. Yes, that's it."

"Then we should go to Chinatown and see Peter."

"Exactly. Let's get a bus ticket."


****************Two Days Later****************


2:37pm
101st PRECINCT

Cole and Malcolm stood at the entrance. Malcom said, "I'll wait here for you."

"Okay, I'll be back."

Detective Peter Caine sat at his desk, writing a report.

Desk Sgt. Broderick hollered to him. "Hey, Pete! Someone's here to see you."

Peter asked, "Yeah, who?"

A small boy walked up to him. He's wearing a white shirt with a blue tie, and a red 'oxford' jacket. He carried a knapsack over his shoulder. He had a white streak in his hair.

Peter asked, "And who are you?"

The boy replied, "Cole Sear. Can we talk in private? It's personal."

Peter shrugged. "Don't worry, nothing's too personal here."

"It's about your grandmother. I saw her."

"Wait-"

"-Su Ling."

"But she's DEAD."

"Exactly."

Peter looked at him, sizing him up. "O-kayyy...." He got up and gently grabbed his arm. "Come with me, please."

Peter led him to a hallway. He said in a serious tone, "Look, kid..I don't know what you want. Death is NOTHING to joke about! I'm very busy today, I'm up to my ass in paperwork. So why don't you tell me what you really want?"

"Sir, I AM serious. You may not believe it, but I see ghosts."

"You do?"

"Yes!"

Ghosts? Caine can see apparitions sometimes. Maybe this kid had a point. He decided to hear him out. "Well...maybe it's not that hard to believe. My father can see things, too."

"But..Malcolm said he died in the temple-"

"I thought he did, but we found each other after 15 years. Wait, that name, Malcolm. Is it..Malcolm Crowe?"

"Yes. He's some kind of doctor."

"Right, a child psychologist.. you know him personally?"

"Yes."

"Wow. I remember him from the Braniff orphanage. He really helped me figure things out..life, where I was going, choices..haven't heard his name in a while."

"So, what I said before..I was serious. I saw Su Ling. She's still here because she was killed by assassins.."

"Sing Wah. They're our mortal enemies."

"Who? Sing Wah..Cole said something about Ling's killers. isa it them?"

"Sing Wah? Yes."

Cole said, "From what I've heard Su Ling say about them, they're very mean."

Peter said, "'Mean' isn't an accurate description. They..well, I'll just say their as old as Shaolin, they kill by ripping people's throats out, and you never want to meet them."

"Oh. Well, Ling said she could move on if she met Matthew again, but he died-"

"-in the Himalayas?"

"Yes."

"Oh, he's alive. His and my father's deaths are exagerrated. We saw him last year in the St. Adel village, in France."

"She wanted to see him one more time."

"Maybe she can. Come with me, I'll take you and Malcolm to my father's shop."

*

Cole and Peter were now outside. Peter saw Malcolm standing by the doors. "Malcolm Crowe?"

The doctor nodded. "Yes. Are you..Peter?"

Peter shook his hand. "Yes."

Malcolm smiled. "Well, you seem to have done well. I hear you're a detective?"

"Yes, I also met my father again. We each thought the other had perished in the temple fire.."

"Yes, you mentioned that in our meetings before. Who did you say did it?"

"Oh, a renegade Shaolin priest, Master Dao...Tan..he became a powerful crimelord in Chinatown, after he bombed our temple."

"What happened to him?"

"He fought my father in a Shaolin combat-ritual, to the death. Tan lost."

"I see. Well, I hope Cole never meets him."

"I don't think that'll happen, his evil was vanquished when he was defeated. Say, did anyone ever tell you that you look like that action-movie actor?..I think it was in 'Last Boy Scout' or the 'Die Hard' series."

Crowe laughed. "Sure, I hear it all the time."

"Well, I'll take you to meet my father now."

*

Peter was driving in his blue Stealth. Malcolm sat next to him, on the passenger side. Cole was in the back seat. Malcolm asked, "So, Peter.. how did you meet your father again, after all these years? If you don't mind my asking."

Peter answered, "No problem. I met him two years ago. Actually, it was by accident. I was working undercover as a hitman for Tan. He was like a phantom, he had connections everywhere, he had a lot of power over over Chinatown. The entire community was in fear. No one could make a case against him."

"Did your undercover operatrion work out?"

"Well, he tried to have the Ancient killed--you'll see him later-- by bombing his shop. My father saved him, they were holed up in a hospital. I recognized the 'mysterious stranger' as my father. We teamed up and fought against Tan, when he failed to have the Mayor assassinated. But he fled to another city."

"But he came back? Is that when he fought Caine in that ritual?"

"Yes."

"How's the reunion going with your father?"

"It's..alright. I'm still learning. Sometimes, I don't understand him. Well, there's a few things that he does, things that can't be explained, that defy the laws of nature-"

Cole interrupted, "Like seeing ghosts?"

Peter laughed, "Yeah, like that. Anyway, you learn not to ask 'why', you just get used to it after awhile. But if I could choose one person on this planet that I'd feel safest with on a stakeout, it's *him*."

Cole said, "So he's a, uh..Shaolin priest? I heard about those peole in knug fu magazines."

"Yeah. Even better. He's a Shambhala Master."

Malcolm looked over at him. "Huh? What's a Shambhala Master?"

Peter answered, "Well, it's a long story. Okay..there's this legend about a place in the mountains of Tibet. A kingdom on the top of the world, in the clouds."

Malcolm gasped in recognition. "Right, Shambhala. I've heard references to it from the cultures of Asian beliefs. I think I saw something about it on Discovery Channel. It's supposed to be a place of light and peace? Kind of like Heaven for Oriental mystics. But I heard it was just a legend. A myth."

Peter said, "I used to think that. Until I went there myself. My father was summoned by their monks to fight a great evil. Since he won, he was promoted to Shambhala Master. Now, his skills and mystical powers are increased."

Malcolm appeared to understand. "Oh. I see."

Cole asked Peter, "Do you two fight bad guys all the time? I mean, your dad's a kung fu master. I bet he knows how to kick anyone's butt."

Peter replied, "Yes, he can. But kung-fu isn't all about fighting. We CAN fight, we usually prefer not to. We use it only to help people. But to answer your question: No, we don't fight *all* the time--well, okay, most of the time. For example, we had to wipe the floor with a Ch'Ru Master. Shadow Assassin. They're known for killing people with their thoughts."

Cole said, "What? Their *thoughts*? They sound scary."

Peter nodded. "Hell, yeah. You have no idea *how* scary. They are like smoke and shadows. No one can defend against them, if you fight them..you die. Unless you're a Shaolin priest like my father."

Malcolm said, "Well, death is often a serious subject. People who do the killing..they used to have a conscience, but it was somehow buried into their subconscious. Maybe that's what happened to Damon."

Peter said, "Yes, maybe. Death is always a part of life. Like pain. I mean, I'm a cop. I see it every day. On the streets. In people's homes. Wait.. Malcolm? I heard in the paper that someone broke into a home of a famous psychiatrist. Was that you?"

Malcolm grimaced. "Yes. My house. A former patient broke in, shot me. Then himself. I'll *always* remember. I failed him."

Peter suddenly felt a chill in the car. He turned the heater on.

Even though he turned it up higher, it was still cold. He mumbled, "Damn. Why is it so cold in here all of a sudden? It's almost June..oh, well." He said to Malcolm, "I'm sure you did all you could. Maybe if you help a patient like him, he'll move on to his afterlife also."

Malcolm sighed, thinking of Cole. "Yes, you could be right."

Peter didn't feel the cold air anymore. He switched the heater off. He looked ahead at the high-level brick building. "Okay, guys, we're here. Let's see if he's home." He pulled into the lot and turned off the ignition.


3:05pm
CAINE'S APOTHECARY

Caine and Lo Si (The Ancient) were mixing herbs. Then, they heard footsteps from the corridor outside. A familar voice asked, "Pop? Are you here.."

Caine answered, "Yes, my son."

Peter entered with Malcolm and Cole. "These are two friends of mine. Malcolm Crowe is a counselor for children.."

Caine bowed. "Ah..Dr. Malcolm. Peter told me of you. I thank you for helping him on his path.."

Malcolm bowed in return.

Peter gestured at Cole. "This is Cole. He's..well, special. He can..well, you may believe it, he..can-"

Caine looked at Cole, making eye contact. "Yes, Peter, I know. He has the ability to see what others cannot. His spirit soars above normal planes. Cole, you sense the presence of the deceased..and you are here on a mission to help one of them."

Cole looked at Malcolm in curious amazement. "How did.."

Peter shook his head. "Don't ask. Look, you get used to it after awhile; it's a Shaolin thing. And Caine's friend here is a priest also--er, I mean, a Shambhala Master, like my dad. His name is Lo Si. But everyone in the Chinese community calls him The Ancient."

Lo Si bowed cheerfully. "I, uh..perhaps because I am..so old?"

Cole said to Caine, "Su Ling talked to me. She wants to see Matthew."

Caine gasped. "Ahh..yes. She was murdered by Sing Wah. My father could not save her."

Lo Si said to Cole, "So..we must help you to reunite with Matthew Caine. That she may..move on. And go to her eternal destiny, into the Oneness, the..Great Beyond. To be at one with the Tao."

Cole answered, "Yes. Whenever I help these ghosts, they go away. I think they go to the Other Side. To wherever that destination is."

Peter interjected, "At least they aren't caught in between worlds."

Cole was confused. "Huh? What do you mean by 'between worlds'?"

Peter said, "It's a realm between life and death, somewhere in the middle."

Lo Si explained, "Yes. The Bardo. It is a twilight world, a place where lost souls, those that were abandoned or just simply lost...they go there, until they are pulled into Eternal Darkness, to the Void."

Peter said, "Yeah, it looks like a bar. A nightclub. Not a good place to be, that I know from experience. So does my father. Okay, Pop. Are we ready to meet my grandfather?"

Caine said, "Yes, my son. We must go now."

Malcolm didn't know how they would do this. "But Mr. Caine, we got a little problem. France is a long way from here. I don't think we have enough money to get on an airline flight. The only way I know of is by ship, but that's even more expensive. Besides, it's Saturday. Cole has to be back in school on Monday morning. It'll take a few DAYS to reach Matt, if not a *week*."

Caine smiled. "Perhaps not." He opened his sack, took out a book, laying it on the counter.

Malcolm took a closer look at it. On the cover was a circle surrounded by sun rays of light. "What is that?"

Caine answered, "The Book of Shambhala. It can take us...where we need to go." He opened it and the pages glowed with an intense white light, brightening the room. "I call upon my brethren in Shambhala..grant me passage to St. Adele, to the location of my Father, Matthew Caine. Myself, my son, Lo Si, and two dear friends. Malcolm Crowe and Cole Sear..this I ask in humility, aid us in our quest.." The light expanded, surrounding them..they all quickly disappeared, going into the book. The light was gone and the book closed.


3:15pm
ST. ADELE, FRANCE

Caine/Peter/Lo Si/Malcolm/Cole appeared in the rectory of a church. An old man turned to face the visitors. He looked exactly like Caine, only he's about 25 years older, wore glasses, and walked with a cane.

Caine said, "Father, I bring news. Su Ling wishes to speak with you." He waved his hand and Su Ling materialized.

Matthew sighed. "My love..at last, I can speak with you. I am so sorry for your death. If I hadn't been at war..had stayed in China.."

Su Ling walked up to him, puts a finger to his lips. "Shhh..I forgive you, Matthew. I realized you had no control over the circumstances. I needed to speak with you, for reassurance."

"I thank you, Su Ling." He embraced her. "The memory of your death will always be with me..but now, I believe I will come to terms with it. With my sorrow, grief..there is no return from it. Experiences in one's life will always leave a mark on one's soul. Your unjust murder at the hands of the Tiger..Sing Wah..and the brainwashing of Damon will remain in my soul. However, ONE thing will always be stronger..your love for me."

Su Ling stepped back and bowed. "Thank you, Matthew. You have healed my chi with your sincere words..and I feel your love also. I believe I can take it with me to my next life, as I accept Oneness with the Tao. I thank you, my love. But know this: a part of of me will always be in your heart, Matthew Caine, as you are in mine. Our love was a bond that could never be broken, even in death." She turned to Caine and Peter. "And you, my son, Kwai Chang Caine..you have a great gift..you help others. A priest like your father and his father, the Shaolin tradition. Continue to honor your path, my son, and you will not fail. Always seek truth and light." She looked at Peter. "Peter, you protect people..I am proud of you both, Peter..there is nothing you have done or will do, that could disappoint your father. One day, you will realize your destiny when you are confronted by it. Farewell." She did the Shaolin salute; Caine and Peter returned the gesture.

Su Ling disappeared in a flash of light.


*************One Hour Later*************

CHINATOWN

Caine and Peter were in the apothecary shop. Malcolm and Cole got up out of their chairs, ready to go back home. Caine approached Cole. "Young man..you have a great gift..you may think some ghosts are angry..but do not fear them. Their chi must be restored..you do that by helping them, by healing their fragmented souls. If you ever doubt, then simply rely on the inerrant goodness within. That is..your Path."

Cole nodded slowly. "Okay..I'll remember that. Thanks, Caine."

Malcolm shook the priest's hand. "Thank you, Master Caine. You've really helped us. Now, I can't explain all that stuff Peter told me. Shadow Assassins, other dimensions, even about that magic book you used, book, or Shambhala Masters--I don't even really know what that is, let alone how to explain it to my wife--hell, I experienced it! That light, going to and from France in a half hour..and I *still* find it unbelievable. But it happened, I can't deny *that*. My point is this: I know that you're good at helping people. Keep up the good work." He gestured with the Salute..

Caine returned it, as did Peter.

Then, Cole and Malcolm left.

Several minutes passed. Finally, Caine says, "My son, something.. troubles you?"

Peter answered, "Yeah...it does. It..well, it's about Malcolm."

Caine sort of knew what he was going to say. "Yes?"

"Something is strange about him. When we shook hands, he felt hard. And when I drove him over here in my car, it was freezing. And I had the heater on full-blast! But that's not what's weird. It got cold only after we talked about the break-in at his house, the gun going off. As soon as we changed the subject, the temperature was normal again. I don't understand it."

Caine nodded. "Ahh..yes. I know the reason for this."

"Okay. What is it?"

"He is a ghost also."

He almost choked with surprise. "What?! A ghost?"

"Yes."

"Oh, come on, Pop..a *ghost*?"

"Peter..ghosts sometimes appear as living people."

"You could be right. It would certainly explain a few things that happened. Now, YOU can see things..like the boy can. He could be a Shaolin someday, but that's beside the point. But I could..SEE Malcolm!"

"Of course..you are Shaolin."

"Okay. Well, I guess I got nothing to worry about. But does Malcom know he's dead?"

"No..he does not."

"Why didn't you tell him?"

"Because it would not help his situation with his wife. He needed to confront his destiny on his own, without my interference and influence. But he WILL find out soon."

"Does Cole know?"

"Yes. He knows..but he will not tell him directly. He also feels that Dr. Crowe must find his Path on his own."

Peter shrugged in agreement. "Yeah, I guess you're right. But that kid, Cole..I got a strange feeling that we may run into him again."

"Hmmm...perhaps."


THE END
(for now)