A Heart That Loves Two

By Rebecca Schuette

Copyright 2000

Warning: No warning except a couple of bad words if you can catch them.

Storyline: A father's frustration. Can a heart love two fathers?

Characters: Paul's family which includes Annie, Carolyn's family, Kelly, Peter, Kermit, and maybe Caine.

Disclaimer: KF:TLC and all of the show's characters do not belong to me. I am only borrowing them for the purpose of this story, and have no intention of taking credit for Michael Sloan's work.

As always, comment are welcome positive or negative.



A Heart That Loves Two
By Rebecca Schuette



It was a nice day. The sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky, and two friends were having lunch together.

Paul had ordered his usual hot dog. He smiled at the thought of a plump dog with the works sitting in his empty stomach.

"Hey isn't that Peter's father over there." Kermit said nodding in the direction behind him.

Paul whirled around to look in the direction that Kermit pointed. There were lots of people walking in and out of businesses and between cars. It was lunchtime after all. But yes there in the middle of all that was Caine. Paul saw him talking to a middle aged Asian man. The man was holding out his hand to Caine. Paul saw Caine take the hand and appeared to be examining it.

"Yeah." Paul replied coldly as he turned around and grabbed his hot dog from cook's hand. "Go to China Town, ask for Caine," snarled Paul to himself, "In fact don't go to China Town, he will search you out. He searches out everyone except Peter."

"Surprised to see him out of China Town." mentioned Kermit as Paul slopped on ketchup and relish.

"Why?" grumbled Paul, biting into the hot dog and rolling his eyes. "He likes to wander."

"Whoa!" commented Kermit taking a step back. "A LITTLE touchy today aren't we."

Paul bit into his hot dog. He rolled his eyes again and shrugged his shoulders.

Kermit grabbed his hot dog and slopped on all the goods. He then took a big bite of hot dog and kidded, "What? Annie not pick out the outfit you wanted to wear."

"Kermit. You...." Paul barked grinding his teeth, he swallowed the last of his hot dog, and started to walk away. He looked down at the payment and said to himself. "You have no idea what you are saying right now."

"Whoa Cowboy! You owed me a soda." Kermit reminded devouring his hot dog, obviously trying to stop Paul from walking away.

Paul stopped, reached silently into his pocket, grabbed his wallet, crinkled a dollar, and threw it back over his head without looking back. He then continued to walk away from Kermit and away from the direction Caine was in.

"Okayyyyyyyy?" he heard Kermit say.

He did not see Kermit reach down and grab the money or pay for the soda. He did not care. Just the sight of that one man ruined his whole day. Now he would be grumpy all day. He would have to have an attitude change before he got home though.

"Annie never did stand for my bad attitude and neither did my girls." he smiled to himself. "In fact neither did Peter."

"Paul?!" He heard Kermit bark or croak.

"Frogs don't bark they croak." chuckled Paul still ignoring Kermit as he increased him stride, making it through the crowds of people.

"Common PAUL!" Kermit croaked. "Wait up ya big grump."

Paul spun around. "I am not a grump. I just want to get back to the office." snapped Paul. He allowed Kermit to catch up. He stared Kermit in the eyes and stated sternly "As Strenlich always asks, "Did crime take a vacation?" or something like that." He turned to leave.

"You’re the boss! Beside you and I know this is not about WORK." stressed Kermit as he reached and grasped Paul's shoulder. "Common Paul you just made me scarf down my lunch. DON'T make me inhale my drink too. Beside I am liable to lose both if I keep running."

"Oh that would be bad in what way." Paul said as he stopped and shrugged Kermit's hand off his shoulder. "Not like you haven't lost more important things."

"Ahhhhhhaaaa! This is about Peter." Kermit charged. Paul could feel his friend's eyes flare under the lens of the green glasses. He threw the can of soda into the garbage can.

"Be careful old friend you are walking on thin Ice." pondered Paul in his brain as he bit his lip. His old friend could always tell something was up. He could always put things bluntly too. "But then you never were afraid of falling in."

Paul then whirled around and bit, "And what if it does?"

"What?" Kermit snarled back. His eyebrows were down, Paul knew he meant business. "Caine is back, so you will get put in the back with the rest of us."

"He doesn't put up with any more of my bad attitude than my family does. He is a good old friend," thought Paul. "But then he is practically family."

"Whatever!" Paul growled and threw his hands up. He was not about to get into this now.

"PAUL! KERMIT!"

Both he and Kermit whirled to see Peter crossing the street, waving his hand, and smiling at them. Peter wore the usually jeans, T-shirt, boots, and jacket.

"He always liked casual." smiled Paul to himself as he eyed his favorite and only son. "His smile, it has finally returned. I could kill anyone who took that smile away." Paul tried to keep his own smile going as he watched Peter gracefully maneuver through the cars, then hop on to the curb, and stride over to them. "Only problem with that conviction is his own fath.. It is Caine that keeps taking it from him."

"Hey Peter." questioned Kermit. Paul saw Kermit’s face lit up. In all their years that they were together, only five people, could light up Kermit’s face like that, him, Annie, Carolyn, Kelly, but most of all Peter. "What's up?"

"A man could not ask for anything more, than his best friend and son to get along." Paul thought as he watched the two converse. "No become great friends too."

"Strenlich told me you were getting lunch. So I thought I would run to meet you." Peter cheerfully said. His gaze averted from Kermit to Paul and back. "Anyone like a hot dog? I'm buying!"

Kermit was about to open his mouth. But in that instant, Paul saw Caine down by the hot dog stand talking to another person. "He must be on his way to the station." He thought.

He quickly jutted in front of Kermit and stated. "Ahhhhhh. I am hungry for a good meal. I will buy if we check out the new diner."

Paul pointed down the street away from Caine and the hot dog stand. The diner was on the opposite side of the street and three doors down from the station. Both Peter and Kermit's eyes followed his finger. Then Paul saw Peter start to turn back toward the hotdog stand but he grabbed his son’s shoulder and started to lead.

**************

"Ok. Good. A sit down meal, not one on the run." muttered Kermit under his breath. Paul heard it though. "Not one running from you know who."

"Running from who?" Peter asked just catching the end of Kermit's last statement.

"Oh you know us. Always on the run." Paul nervously voiced, giving a quick glare at Kermit. He then turned his attention back to Peter and patted his shoulder. "I don't think you ever sit to eat either. Come on boys lunch is on me."



PART TWO

Paul smiled as they entered the diner, but his heart was hurting. Caine had been gone for more than three months. He knew that Peter would have just loved to run down that street and hug his, Paul could not even say the word. He justified his actions with the idea of "What type of a father strolls into town after what 13, 15 years then leaves 6 months later? Devastating his own son that he thought was dead. Then comes back, only to repair some of the damage and then leaves again for 3 months. If Peter was not here I would go and give him a..."

"Yo Paul!" Kermit’s voice snapped Paul out of his thoughts. "You planning on coming with us to the table or you going to eat standing in the doorway."

He saw Kermit beckoning him to come. Peter had already gotten a table and was settling in.

The diner was small. It had single stools around the counter and several booths on the end. There were about 5 tables. Peter had settled into a table by the windows.

Paul crossed the small dining area and sat next to Kermit across from Peter. Peter's back was to the large window. Paul could see the station, from his seat, so could Kermit. He watched for Peter's fath.., Caine, as the two other men looked at menus.

"Well what should I have? hm hm hm Steak? hehehehehe." chuckled Peter out loud, as he looked over the menu and then peered over it at Paul.

"Remember Annie puts Paul on a budget." replied Kermit leaning toward Paul and winking at Peter. He nudged Paul. "Hey wake up. You’re about to have a large bill."

"Peter can order anything he wants." Paul winked at Peter. He then looked devious at the menu. "I think I am going to order the frog legs." He then turned to Kermit and chuckled, "You get soup, pal."

"Not likely! I should order the T-bone steak just for the frog legs comment." Flashed Kermit as he looked over the menu with the biggest grin. "Peter your going to want a few appetizers. Right?"

"I am captain not a millionaire." Paul's mouth dropped at the several appetizers Kermit was referring too.

Out the corner of his eye Paul saw Caine, he was walking up into the station. He swallowed hard; Peter was still looking at his menu. "Check out the fish on page 4, Peter."

"As long as you’re at it check out the kiddy section. Says kids under 3 eat free." Kermit mentioned glaring at Paul.

Paul could tell from Kermit's face that he saw the same thing. Paul knew that Kermit did not approve what he was doing. He also knew that Kermit was not going to stop him, as of yet.

"HaHA! Am still going to continue to hear that I am wet behind my ears," Peter commented still looking at the menu. "When I become captain?"

"Till the day I die." Kermit proclaimed still looking at Paul. He mouthed "Tell Him!" Paul shook his head and glared. Kermit continued, "You know old mercenaries never retire." He then turned to look at the menu shaking his head obviously disappointed.

Paul watched as his two favorite boys looked at their menus. His gaze occasionally darted from them nervously to the station. He hoped Caine would not find out where they were. He watched in silence as his son and Kermit had a discussion over which appetizer would be the best.

"Coffee gentlemen?" greeted the waitress as she strolled up to the table.

"Oh yeah!" Kermit voiced. "HOT, dark, and leaded. Please."

"Shaken not stirred." laughed the waitress. "Will that be for all three?"

"Oh yeah." stated Peter as he lowered his menu. "I will have the T-bone, very rare. I would prefer to kill it myself."

Paul smiled and chuckled to himself, "Why am I not surprised?"

Peter then pointed to the menu. "I would like a side order of American fries and what is the soup of the day?"

"Chicken and rice." stated the waitress, writing down his previous order.

"Yuck. Rice. Chicken is okay but I will have side salad instead. You have ranch?"

"Yep!" Continued the waitress grabbing his menu. Her gazed turned to Kermit.

"Seeing Paul here is either paying or washing the dishes, I will have the same. Only I will have the soup." declared Kermit closing his menu.

Alright." smiled the waitress taking his menu as well.

Paul watched the whole ordering thing in silence but his attention was at the corner of his eye.

He was watching the station when Kermit snapped, "Paul! Your order."

"Oh Um I will have the same with the soup extra rice if you please. I would also like the potato skins, large size, appetizer."

"Sure!" expressed the waitress with a friendly smile as she grabbed the final menu and fled to the kitchen.

"See Peter." Kermit placed an arm around Paul and shook him. "Captains don't grow old. They just forget how to order."

Peter snickered, "Oh yeah!" He brought his hand forward for a high five. Kermit then slapped it hard.

Paul squirmed out of his friend's arm hold. "Ha HA! Actually it is the young officers that don't follow orders that cause Captain’s too grow old." lectured Paul. "Like the last report I got of some officer of mine not waiting for back up." Paul glared into Peter’s eyes.

Peter smiled and pointed to himself. "MWAH!" Peter gasped. "Never!"

"You should not take chances like that, Peter!" scowled Paul. "I hate it when you get hurt!" He sighed. He reminded himself, "Change your attitude or this dinner is going to get real ugly."

"Sure Paul." Peter sheepishly stated blinking his hazel eyes. "I am sorry."

"Just don't let it happen again." scolded Paul reaching across and slightly slapping Peter on the face. Then he jerked a thumb at Kermit, "Or I will have my mercenary friend here take you out for awhile."

The three discussed some other day’s events. They watched as the waitress strolled over again carrying their orders. Paul could hear everyone’ s stomach growl.

"Wow! Looks great I am starving." observed Peter, licking his lips and rubbing his hands together. He grabbed the fork and knife. He cut into the scrumptious juicy steak. He stabbed a chunk and lifted to his mouth. "Mmmmmmmm!" He stabbed another piece. He stopped chewing for a second, watching Paul’s eyes.

Paul's eyes darted from the food to the man coming out of the precinct. His eyes narrowed in recognition.

"Paul, you have been half dazed or looking out the window the whole time. What is up?" Peter questioned as he slowly turned around.

But before Paul could stop him Peter gasped, "What?"

Paul watched Peter's mouth and his fork dropped. "I don't believe It." he heard Peter mutter in amazement and shock. "He is back."



PART THREE

Peter stood slowly. Paul could see water well up in his eyes. He could see the smile vanish from his face.

Peter uttered softly; Paul had to strain to hear it. "I will be back."

"What about your food?" Paul asked even though he knew Peter was not hungry anymore.

"Doggie bag it. See ya later!" Peter said as he grabbed his jacket and headed for the door.

As the door closed, Paul slammed his fist on the table, knocking his coffee cup over. "Da#$ it!"

"Paul!" Kermit yelled as he leaped up, grabbed a napkin, and tried to stop the coffee from running off the table. "What did you expect? Common help me here."

The waitress ran over and started helping Kermit. Paul just sat and stared at his shocked son running from the diner across the street without looking. He saw him running towards his his... Paul’s eyes grew wide as a car almost hit Peter. But then his eyes narrowed in anger and he ground his teeth when he saw Caine hug Peter.

"Thank you Madame!" Kermit sighed looking at the waitress and then at Paul. "Paul, what is with you? He is Peter's father."

"He is no father." Paul snarled still grinding his teeth at the two of them still embracing outside. "He is a man that came to town, cheered MY boy up, and then ripped his heart out. Only to come back and do the same thing over again. He is no father. He is a monster for what he did."

"You are only go to make matter worse." Kermit warned. "God Paul you have got to get over this."

Paul slammed his fist down again as he could see Peter's body shaking. He could clearly see Peter was crying. "He is probably apologizing if I know him like I do." Thought Paul.

He then turned to Kermit and snapped. "Don't tell me to get over this Kermit. You never had a son. You don't know what it is like to love somebody so much. Comfort him. Stay with him. Hear the screams in the night."

"Paul I know what you and.." Kermit began; he looked around the diner at the few customers that were busily ordering.

"Don't! Don't tell me what you know Kermit. You don't know!" Paul started. He took a deep breath trying to calm down. "You don't. We loved him, reared him, and got him on his feet. Only to have that man come back in his life to tear down everything Peter gained."

"Paul?" warned Kermit. Both men could see that Peter and Caine were walking towards the diner. Peter was wiping his eyes on hand and had his other wrapped around Caine.

"What I have is a good mind to give that so called father a piece of my mind. Now." roared Paul. "He just walks back into Peter life. He was not there when Peter drank to oblivion. He was not there holding on, as his precious so call son was lying on the floor sobbing and hurting. And why was he sobbing? You even have to ask. Because that monster left him without rhyme or reason."

"Paul, you have got to get a hold of yourself. They are coming in here." Kermit said patting Paul's shoulder.

Paul jerked his shoulder away as he stood roughly. He beckoned the waitress. As she approached he pointed to his food and ordered, "Doggie bag! I will pick it up later." He pulled out his wallet and gave her a 50-dollar bill. "That should cover it. Keep the change."

"Paul?" Kermit started as Paul put his wallet back in and grabbed his coat.

Paul stopped him with his eyes and then spit out, "If you think for one minute that I am going to sit with that man. You don't know me very well at all, old friend." He settled his coat on his shoulders and grabbed his hat. "I'm leaving."

"Leaving?" Paul heard Peter's voice. "Why? Common Paul we just got the food."

Paul turned around to face his so., his officer. He tried to put on a straight face but it was his eyes. He knew Peter would be able to read them. He glanced at Peter and then at Caine. His eyes narrowed. "I have to get back. I already paid for It." he turned back to Kermit and closed his eyes. This was supposed to be his lunch, with his best friend, and he could not even say it. "Enjoy!"

Paul then whirled around and brushed past Caine. It took all his energy to not reach out with his hands and wring the monster's neck. Of course, Peter would have stopped him, Kermit too. Paul felt the warm flow of salty liquid sprout from the place his bit down.

As he reached the door, he heard Peter say, "Remember Kermit?"

"Yes my son." said the wanderer’s cheerful voice.

Paul opened the door with such force, its metal frame clattered and the glass shook. All the diner's patrons looked to see what caused the racket. Paul did not look back. Cars screeched to a halt, as he strolled across the street.

Later that afternoon, Paul watched from his office desk chair, as Kermit wandered back into the precinct. He was not surprised that Kermit did not look in his direction. He knew his friend was angry that he was left him without back up. He also knew Kermit would get over it.

His attention was drawn to his family picture on his desk Annie, Carolyn, Kelly, Peter, and of course him. He reached out towards it. He never imagined this is how Peter’s attention would be taken away from his family. He always imagined a nice young lady would grab his son’s time, but never his …… , Caine.

His eyes darted back to the bullpen. He saw Peter face on the other side of the station behind the large counter. He also saw. "Da#$!" Paul snarled. He just could not face him now, with Peter being there.

Paul grabbed his jacket and hat, fled his office, and headed for the back door. He did not even realize that Kermit had exited his office and was on his way over.

"Don’t tell me you’ve got a case." Growled Kermit’s deep voice behind him as he fled.

He stopped and then snapped without looking back, "Then don’t ask!" He then continued out of the precinct.

Paul’s car peeled out of the parking lot. His tires screeched at the tire treads they left behind. Paul chastised and ridiculed himself. "Shut UP!"



PART FOUR

Later that evening, he drove his car into the dark narrow driveway. "Darn. Gotta remember to call about that da%$ street light." He could see Carolyn was over for the weekend. He could barely see the outline of two other cars beyond that.

He was a little late getting home. He had stopped for a couple drinks on the way home. He drank just enough to relax himself and to ease his still troubled mind. He knew he would be in trouble. Supper would be on the table just about now and he forgot to call the lovely chef.

Paul slammed the car door and walked up to the back door. The aroma that emanated from the house was making his mouth water and his stomach growl.

He walked in and yelled, "HI HONEY!" He heard Kelly’s and Carolyn’s laughter coming from the dinning room. Just then Annie strolled in. "Ahhhhhhh! The wanderer has come home. Kelly finish setting the table and come in and help me. Please! Your father is finally here."

Paul bit his lip at the wanderer comment. He did not want any name associated with Caine.

"Sorry, Honey!" Paul apologized, as he grabbed his wife and hugged her.

"Oh, to what do I own the thanks for that." Chuckled Annie. "Bad Day?"

"Not really." Stated Paul as he let her go and started for the front hall to remove his jacket.

"Wait!" Annie stressed. Paul froze. "You are not my husband."

Paul turned around. He looked at his lovely wife’s face. It was no longer smiling. "Kermit called didn’t he?"

"Naturally." Annie sighed as she felt for the veggies on the counter and grabbed a knife. "He was concerned."

"So you know HE is back in town." Paul spat as he leaned against the wall folding his hands.

"Hey Daddy!" Greeted Kelly as she came through the doorway from dinning room. Paul could see that Carolyn was walking in from the living room. He could not see her husband though. "Ker…"

"Kelly go into the living room with you sister." Snapped Paul.

"But Daddy!"

"Do it!" growled Paul, "And tell your sister and her husband I will be out there in a second."

He watched as Kelly turned back to the dining room and closed the door.

"Was THAT really necessary?" asked Annie in a cold voice. "Just because you are having a hard time dealing with it does not mean we have too."

"Dealing with what? Caine comes back into town and we are thrown away like forgotten items." Snarled Paul. "Now that he is back Peter will never be here." He started to pace.

"Your jealous?" Annie coldly stated placing the knife down and looking in his direction with her hands on her hips. "You’re acting like a child."

"No I am not! All I want is for Peter to be happy!" Shouted Paul. It was like looking at Kermit again. Even though Annie could not see, he knew she could see right into his heart. "Tell me was he that happy when Caine was around. He took more chances. He didn’t think he was good enough."

"Paul," started Annie as she raised her hands as if to stop him.

He ignored her. If anyone should understand what he was thinking, his wife would.

"Then that man walks out of his life and WHAM! All he#$ breaks out." Paul slammed his hand down on the counter. "And we had to pick up the pieces again. Its not like we had too. We love him, we want him happy."

"Paul, please lower your voice. He.." Annie began again.

"No! I will not lower my voice. I had to do that today in a restaurant with Kermit. Caine was coming to eat. GOD! I wanted to to to I don’t know what I would have done if I had to sit there facing that MONSTER with MY SON!" yelled Paul. He saw Annie take a step back. He grew concerned but then "Sorry! No! I am not going to apologize for my feelings. I am mostly a quiet man. But today I can hold it no more." He threw up his hands into the air. "I am not going to just sit back and watch Peter get hurt again. How do we know that Caine is going to stick around this time? How do we insure that the next time that monster decides to leave, Peter won’t drink himself into a stupor, drive home, killing himself, or a family, or both?" Paul slammed his hand down on the counter top again. "God! I wished he had died. I think it would have been better for Peter if his father would have died."

"PAUL!" yelled Annie slamming her hand down on the cutting board nearly missing the knife.

He fell silent. "They are in the other room!"

His mouth dropped. Kelly had been laughing. There were two other cars parked ahead of Carolyn’s. He watched as Annie walked to the dinning room door and opened it.

Paul could see Kermit’s mouth wide open. He was seated at the table but now he was starting to stand, obviously concerned for the two arguers’ safety. Carolyn was walking and comforting her baby with her husband by her side. Kelly was seated by Kermit, tears streaming down her face.

Paul’s eyes darted from them to the two other individuals seated at the table. It was Peter and his father, Caine. Caine sat there no expression on his face just concerned eyes. It was not Caine’s eyes that shot Paul in the heart, but Peter’s. Peter face was in horror. Peter’s hazel eyes reeked of pain. The very pain that Paul was trying to prevent, he now caused.

"He can’t even cry he is so hurt." Thought Paul as his gaze drifted from Peter to Kermit and then down to the floor.

Paul could have heard a piece of straw land on the floor. He heard the baby cooing. He heard Carolyn saying, "Shhhhhh honey."

He did not know what to say. He would not apologize to Caine. The very thought of that man sitting at his dinner table like a member of the family made him want to vomit. "Excuse me." He choked on his own saliva as he turned to leave again.

"Where are you going?" asked Annie with great concern. She walked forward reaching out for him. He avoided her and sped to the door stopping only momentarily.

"Oh! I will just wander around. Somehow I lost my appetite."

He hurried out the door to his car. Kermit was out of the house in a flash.

"PAUL! Come back in! Let’s work on…"

"NO! I won’t! There is nothing to work out!" snapped Paul as he opened the car door.

"Don’t do this!" Kermit bellowed as he grabbed the car door.

"Hands off!" growled Paul as he put the keys in the ignition.

"Don’t get short with me, Pal!" warned Kermit.

Paul started the engine. "Ok! Get your Da$% hands of my car before I slam the door on them."

Kermit let go! Paul slammed the door, and started to back the car down the driveway.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Peter sprint from the front of the house. He was yelling. He could hear his name. "Paul! STOP!"

But he could not stop. Something was driving him, pain, hurt, jealousy, he didn’t care what, but he dared not stop. He saw the hurt on Peter’s face and he had caused it. He had finally lost his temper he had lost control.

He whirled the car out of the driveway and sped down the street.

Then h e drove to the bar, sat in a corner, and did what he said Peter would do if Caine left again. He drank himself into oblivion.



PART FIVE

Paul woke with a splitting headache, upset stomach, and unfocused sight. He sensed he was at home in bed in his pajamas. "What?" he swallowed the urge to vomit as he sat up and opened his eyes fully.

He felt a gentle hand touch his shoulder and heard "Feeling better dear? Kelly said you were restless." Annie’s face came into focus.

"How?" he asked as he opened and shut his eyes, trying to focus.

"The bartender recognized you, called me, and I called Kermit." Stated Annie matter-o-factly. She brought a glass of water to his hand and offered, "Aspirin?"

"Kermit?" Paul sighed to himself. "Good OLE Kermit. Never lets me down." He turned to Annie and refused, "No thank you."

"Well everyone left around 12:00 am and Kermit stayed till 2:00 am only to be called back at 3:00 am. It is now 4 in the afternoon." Annie announced as she whipped back the covers. "Time to get up, get cleaned up, and come downstairs. Kermit is down there worried about you."

"He is a good friend." Replied Paul squirming to the side of the bed. The carpet under his toes felt good.

"No, he is family." Reprimanded Annie as she walked around the bed and grabbed his robe off the back of the closet door. "Want some help?"

"What are you going to do? Come into the shower with me?" smiled Paul. But he could tell by the expression on his wife’s face that he was not going to get any snuggling right now.

"No, but I will go get Kermit." Smiled Annie slyly as she dropped his robe on his arm.

"No! I think Kermit as gone through enough." Said Paul as he grabbed Annie and embraced her.

"You have know idea honey." Warned Annie as she accepted the embrace. "But I will let him tell you."

Paul kissed her forehead. "I am sorry honey."

"I know and I forgive you." Annie snuggled into his arms and then announced. "But you will be working on the "honey do list" to make up for this mess."

"Gladly. I will do anything as long as you are with me."

"You can’t get rid of me! You can’t even run that far from me. Hehehehe!" Chuckled Annie as she ruffled his hair and then kissed him. "Now clean up!"

"Yes Madame!" He saluted to her as she got up and went to the door.

"That’s Mrs. Madame to you." Annie laughed as she shut the door behind her.

***************

After he had showered and shaved, Paul got dressed and head from the stairs. He could smell dinner aroma emanating from the kitchen again. His stomach lurched at the thought but then he calmed it and headed downstairs. Kermit was seated in the living room in the lazy boy chair reading the newspaper. Kelly was watching TV, lying on the floor.

"That’s my seat buster." Paul announced as he walked down the stairs into the living room.

"Not if you want to live." Snapped Kermit still looking at the paper.

"Ok the couch it is." Chuckled Paul. He reached down and grabbed Kelly. He hauled her up and embraced her. "Hi Pumpkin!"

"Dad, I am too old for that name now." Chided Kelly as she accepted the full embrace.

"You will always by MY pumpkin." Stated Paul as he kissed her on the cheek. "And I am sorry. Can you forgive this old foolish slug."

"Oh yeah!" giggled Kelly. "You may make mistakes, you may be hard at times, but you are the best Daddy ever or that I would ever wish for. I thank God for you everyday."

"And I thank him for my two beautiful daughters everyday. My little peach and pumpkin." Laughed Paul. His heart leaped for joy and soul soared into the sky.

"Kelly come in and help." Yelled Annie.

"Gotta go Daddy." Yelped Kelly.

He watched as Kelly ran from the room and then he turned his attention to Kermit. The TV was still on but he knew his friend was not watching it. He knew the man well. He knew he was waiting quietly, patiently, and "Kermit, I am."

"Forget it, Pal!" Kermit snarled as he took his glasses off and looked into Paul’s eyes. "I put you through enough sh#$! Pay back is a B$%^&! BUT!"

"But what?" questioned Paul as he leaned back against the couch pillows. Kermit’s eyes could burn a man’s soul and blow his mind. "Thank God he wears glasses." Chuckled Paul to himself.

"If you ever puke on me or in the Kermitmobile again. I will be forced to terminate your ugly A#$ and its ugly existence." Kermit glared at Paul. Paul felt the fire and then the cold refreshing splash; "You owe me 100 dollars for the clean up job and lifetime of favors for the pain and suffering. Know of any good shrinks?"

Both men burst into laughter. Paul knew Kermit would always be therefore him and he likewise would always be there for Kermit.

After an uneventful fun evening with Kermit and his family, Paul climbed back into bed. Annie was already snuggling under the covers waiting for him. "Thanks again dear!" said Paul as he kissed his lovely wife.

"Don’t try to smooch your way out of the "honey do list"!" stated Annie firmly, her fake frown turning upward to a devious smile.

"What is the first job I have to do?" inquired Paul. Annie pulled the covers back to reveal a new red negligee.

"Like it? Kelly helped pick it out." Snickered Annie reaching towards Paul’s direction.

Soon joy spread through all of Paul’s body. He never truly understood why this woman loved him. But he was thankful she did. He also knew he was still on stormy waters but soon it would be smooth and clear. Tomorrow was another day, but tonight would last forever. The last words he heard from his lovely wife that night were, "Oh honey, I love you soooooooooo much."



PART SIX

The next morning, Paul awoke a new man, being revived, he would now face an uncertain day with strength and patience. He lingered in the shower for sometime, pondering about how Peter would react to seeing him.

He leisurely walked down the stairs after dressing, shaving, and wondering if Peter would even speak to him. He strolled into the kitchen; Annie had his coffee and bagel ready. "Thanks Honey!"

"Your welcome! Now go play nice with the other little children." she smiled and winked in his direction. "LEARN TO SHARE!"

"I thought they taught that in Kindergarten." Commented Paul grabbing his coat, hat, and keys.

"So did I." Replied Annie smiling. "So did I."

"Very nice dear." Laughed Paul. Her smile was one that lit his soul. "I will see you later."

"Yep!" Annie said. "Now get to the work boss. Boy some example you set."

He laughed all the way to the car and all the way to the station, too. He saw the tire tracks from the previous day.

As he headed to his office, he noticed that Peter was not at his desk. "Like father like son." Thought Paul smiling.

He looked toward Kermit’s office. Kermit was working on some computer, email, or some wha-tcha-ma-gigger.

Paul read through files most of the morning. He found out Peter had come in early and left on some case. At around noon, he wandered over to the diner he had gone to yesterday, when this whole thing started.

"Back finally?" greeted the smiling waitress. "We still have your food."

"Don’t need the old, can I have a new batch. This time I plan on staying and eating it."

"Good!" stated the waitress. He asked for a booth so he could spread out his papers.

After he was settled with coffee and a side order of potato skins, Paul continued to read through files. Several moments later a male voice Paul recognized instantly announced, "Here is your order."

Paul’s eyes darted from the papers to the voice. "Peter."

Peter stood there smiling next to the waitress holding two orders. "Yeah? I will sit right here." Peter pointed to the seat across from Paul. His hazel eyes’ pierced Paul’s soul and he asked. "Your still buying right or washing dishes?"

"Yep!" Paul smiled he felt his eyes begin to water. He quickly cleared the table.

"Great!" Peter smiled back and then thanked the waitress for bringing the orders and a pot of coffee.

Paul began to eat his meal. He had not expected Peter to even want to talk to him and here he was seated across from him eating.

"Evaluations?" inquired Peter looking at the brief case.

"Yep!" smiled Paul almost choking on his food. "The annuals!"

"So how much do I owe you?" asked Peter. "For a good report that is." Peter winked at him.

"How about a week’s fishing trip to the cabin." Stated Paul slowly not wanting to ruin the moment.

"Sure!" Replied Peter with and even bigger smile than before. "You tell me the time and I will be there."

"Perhaps Kermit would like to come?" questioned Paul. He was having a hard time looking at Peter straight in the eyes.

"Ok." Stated Peter narrowing his eyes with concern.

"Perhaps." Paul swallowed hard. "Your … father would like to come."

Peter smiled. He reached over and clasped Paul’s hand. Paul’s heart leaped at the touch. He looked down and bit back all the tears he could. "I am sorry for the things I said."

"No you’re not!" Peter stressed softly. It was a loving voice not a harsh one.

Paul looked up into his hazel eyes. "What?" Paul gasped trying to find the words to ask no beg for forgiveness.

"Stop, Dad!" Paul felt Peter tightened his grip and gently shook his hand.

Paul’s mouth dropped, "But I said those awful things. I wanted your father to be dead."

Paul saw Peter swallow hard, "I know." Paul saw a few tears trickle down Peter’s cheek.

"I was jealous. I couldn’t stop myself. I couldn’t see straight." Spat Paul, he felt his body start to tremble. He looked at the steak knife. He had caused Peter enough pain last night; it was if he used that very steak knife to kill his son’s spirit "I am so so so sooorr."

"No!" Peter cut him off. Paul looked up. There was fire in his son’s eyes. "You have nothing to apologize for. I should have seen this coming. I was hurt, I was mad, and you supported me through it. You never asked why I did the things I did. You and Mom just loved me since the day you met me, unconditionally. I could not have needed anything more at that time. Then when he came back, I thrust you away. I was so excited to have my father back that I forgot.."

"Peter don’t it’s." Paul started he was in no way going to let Peter take the blame for his bad behavior. He clasped both hands on Peter’s hands.

"No! It’s not. I did throw you away and when he left I didn’t know how to come back." Peter looked down and Paul saw him bite his lip.

"The door is always open." Paul stood up, moved his son over, and sat down next to him.

"I love you, Dad. You will always be my Dad. Just like mom will always be my mom."

Paul smiled as he saw Peter looked back up at his eyes. "But Caine is your father no many how many mistakes he makes. I don’t have to approve of his mistakes but I will respect him as much as I love you."

Peter smiled, "I know you will Dad. You just love me and don’t like it when I get hurt."

"I HATE it when you get hurt, Son!" charged Paul, "Especially by him."

"I know." Peter sighed hugging him.

Paul embraced Peter. Peter was HIS son but he was also another man’s Son. I was a different arrangement that Paul would get use too.

"And I will try not to do that anymore." Stated Caine’s voice behind him. Peter lifted his head. Paul whirled around to see Caine and Kermit standing there.



PART SEVEN

"Pop!" cried Peter with glee.

"Hello Mr." Paul stood and reached his hand forward.

"Kwai Chang Caine or Caine" Caine replied taking Paul’s hand and shaking it.

Even in a diner with others talking, Paul could have heard a straw fall to the floor. Here he was standing in front of the man, who hurt his son so much. No he was not just standing; he had just shaken that man’s hand.

Out of the corner of his eye, Paul watched Kermit step forward. His friend was obviously unsure of what he was going to do. Paul knew that Kermit knew that he was a very composed man but after last couple of days.

Paul’s gaze shifted from Kermit to Peter. He watched as his son scooted out of the both and stood to the side between Caine and him. His eyes watched his son’s hazel eyes looking at handshake. He watched his son take a sigh of relief.

Paul broke the handshake and looked into Caine’s eyes. There were still no emotions on the man’s face. But he could see that there was no hate in this man’s eyes.

There was still silence. No one talked, and now no one moved. "You can cut the air with a knife in here. What do I say? What do I do?" Thought Paul as he gazed into the man he called MONSTER’s eyes. "I don’t want to use that knife and hurt Peter again."

"Are you gentlemen staying?" asked the waitress, breaking the silence, as she strolled up with extra menus.

Peter looked at Caine then at Paul. Caine looked at Peter then at Paul. Paul looked at Peter and then at Caine. Kermit looked somewhere but one would ever know.

"Oh yeah!" stated Kermit as he grabbed a menu. "I will have the same as Peter and Paul there. And what is the soup for the day."

"Chicken and" started the waitress.

"Let me guess rice." Observed Kermit. "Sounds great!"

"Tomorrow it is clam chowder." Announced the waitress as she started to write down the orders.

"Tomorrow? I am not the rich." Stated Paul. "Ok bring me another bowl of soup."

"Extra rice?" asked the waitress.

"Yep and another order of potato skins." Replied Paul. "Let’s move to that table there."

He pointed to the table next to the window. Kermit grabbed the food. Peter grabbed the briefcase.

Paul stood and put his arm around Caine. "You like steak?"

Caine’s eyes grew large and he looked at Paul with curiosity, "No, but I do like rice and chicken."

"Yuck!" commented Peter as he settled himself into his chair.

"Well that is one thing we have in common." Paul mentioned as he gently shook Caine as they walked over to the table.

"Another is the love for OUR son." Replied Caine. Caine stopped and then Paul heard the beginnings of an apology. Caine started, "I would like to."

"Stop! Enough of the apologizing." Kermit stated then he nodded at Paul. "Food is good! But we HAVE to SIT down and eat it to savor the moment."

Paul winked at Kermit and then turned to Caine. He placed both hands on Caine’s shoulders. "I am still unsure about you. But we all make mistakes. Some day, I believe you and I will have a heart to heart."

"But if he hurts Peter again." Paul thought biting his lip as he gestured to the table. Right now was neither the time nor the place to have a heart to heart and he knew that. As he pulled out the chair next to Caine. Paul reminded himself to be calm and thought "Right now I want to enjoy lunch with Peter and Kermit. I will tolerate Caine. Hopefully someday we can come to some understanding."

As all the men were seated waiting for the food. Caine asked, "Potato Skins? You only eat the skins?"

Peter burst out in laughter so did Kermit. Paul just leaned over and answered, "You will just have to experience them, your son is the one who got me and Kermit hooked."

Paul swallowed hard, he could not believe he was about to offer something. A voice inside his head said, "NO!" But his heart said. "If you continue to push away Caine you will only succeed in hurting Peter more. You must do it for Peter."

Paul continued about the potato skins. "He made some at the cabin, once." He paused and then cleared his throat. "Peter and I will be going up to our cabin for a week this summer. "

He looked at Peter. Peter was smiling and watching the conversation between his two Dads.

Paul noticed Peter's ears perked up when he mentioned the cabin. "I must do this for him." stated Paul's heart. "I would do anything for him not to get hurt. Take a bullet, donate my heart, or even find it in my being to like Caine."

Paul's mind reminded him, "I will respect him, but I will not trust him, as of yet." Paul's gaze averted from Peter to Kermit. Kermit sat quietly as he always did. Paul knew that Kermit was observing the dinner discussion. He knew that his friend did not trust Caine yet.

Kermit trusted very few individuals. He especially would not trust an individual that hurt his best friend's son. Paul knew this as he looked back and forth between Kermit and Caine. "He will have to earn my and Kermit's trust. Thus far he has done nothing to gain it."

Paul watched, as the tips of his friend's lips moved upward. Kermit then pressed his lips. Paul took this as a sign that whatever he chose to do. Kermit would stand behind him one hundred percent.

He sighed, "I suppose. No." Paul looked down at the table and then back at Caine. "I was wondering if you would like to join us."

"No!" stated Peter. Paul looked at him shocked. Kermit lowered his glasses, obviously not ready to have another lunch like yesterday's dinner. "That week is reserved for just us."

"But?" Paul gasped. "What is he doing?" Pondered Paul, "I am trying here. I am really trying!"

"Peter?" questioned Kermit's voice.

Caine sat with no emotion on his face. Paul's eyes drifted from Peter to Caine back to Peter. "Does that man ever have a smile on his face? Does he ever have emotions?" questioned Paul's mind.

"They can come up the next week." Smiled Peter winking at Paul.

"Oh yeah!" Smiled Kermit with a sigh of relief.

Paul chuckled to himself; "Kermit might get to eat an uneventful meal yet, one day."

"Tell Strenlich that the top detectives from the precinct are taking off." announced Kermit raising his mug of coffee. "Crime will just have to take a week's vacation too."

"I don't think he will have a problem with that and if he does." Paul narrowed his eyes as he growled, "Tell him to come and talk to the boss."

Both Peter and Kermit laughed. Caine smiled slightly, shocking Paul. "The man is obviously out of place." Thought Paul. "But he is not about to ruin the mood. Good for him!"

The dinner was soon filled with Paul’s booming laughter at Peter’s jokes and Kermit’s witty replies. Caine was mostly silent during the meal but he got in a word or two.

Paul watched his son sitting and finally smiling again. Paul then smiled, his heart was filled with joy and his soul soared into the heavens. Some day he would talk to Caine about Peter. He would calmly tell Peter’s father about how he felt. But now was the time to enjoy friends but mostly family.

Later as he watched Kermit then Peter and Caine drive off. He thought of how he loved Peter just as much as Kelly and Carolyn. How he loved them all equally and how blessed he was to have each one of them. He thanked God for giving him a son with a big enough heart. After all if a father’s heart could love more than one, why not a son’s.


EPILOGUE for "A Heart That Loves Two

Several months later...

"Go on Peter!" pushed Paul as he watched his son pace back and forth. "Pacing, is not going to bring them any faster."

"Yeah?" stated Peter as he looked out the window at the driveway for the millionth time. "Murphy's law says, 'The very minute I leave they will come.’"

"Yeah?" Paul remarked as he patted his son's right shoulder. "Then you will meet them at the driveway."

Paul could see that Peter was extremely anxious for his father and Kermit to arrive. This fishing trip had been planned for many months. He turned his son to him and looked lovingly into his eyes. "Now Kermit said they would be leaving around 8:00 am it is now 12, it takes five hours to get up here."

"Not with Kermit driving." Peter smarted off, and then he whirled back to the window.

"Good point." Paul put his finger to his temple to think and then sprouted, "But then what are you going to feed them. We have caught nothing. Maybe our luck will change when they get here. I know your father is a naturalist but, come on, I don't think he enjoys worms. "

Paul smiled as Peter swirled around and said with a smile. "Good point!" He ran and grabbed his keys. "I'll be back."

Paul watched from the porch as Peter peeled away from the house down the long dirt driveway with the jeep. Then Paul sat in the lawn chair and watched for Kermit and Caine to arrive or for Peter to return.

Several minutes later, just as Peter had predicted, the Kermitmobile approached the cabin. Paul leaped up from the lawn chair and waved; "Peter will be so happ..." His face dropped there was only one passenger in the car and that was the driver. "What the he#$?"

Paul's heart dropped even more when Kermit parked his car and got out. His friend's face was stone cold, no emotion what so ever. He slammed the door, shaking the car and practically the ground underneath it.

Paul bit his lip, did he even want to ask.

Kermit walked toward him looking around. Obviously seeing no jeep he asked, "Where's Peter?"

Paul swallowed hard as Kermit started walking up the stairs. "He went into town for supplies. The fish aren’t biting yet."

Kermit nodded, he past Paul and sat down on another lawn chair.

"Need a beer?" asked Paul knowing that the news that Kermit brought was not good news.

"Oh yeah!" stated Kermit, his face still showing no emotions.

"Great!" stressed Paul as he turned toward the cabin door. He swallowed hard. He bit his lip and thought, " Don't keep me waiting to long pal. Peter is coming and I want to be prepared."

As Paul opened the door he heard, "Bring the whole pack. We are going to need a few drinks." Paul paused, then he heard and he knew the news was horrible. "Better yet got anything stronger."

Paul walked inside. He slowly closed the door and sighed, "Give me strength, Lord." He walked over to the refrigerator, and grabbed the six pack. He turned to the side liquor cabinet and snatched three glasses, and the whiskey bottle.

As he walked back, he watched Kermit through the window. He observed his friend sit as still as stone. Then he saw Kermit's arm fling up and slam down on the armrest. If the armrest had been aluminum instead of wood, there would be a dent now.

Paul slowly walked out of the cabin shutting the door behind him. He placed the pain drowning items on the table and sat down besides Kermit. "Just say it!" he stressed knowing it was the only way to do it.


"I should have shot and dragged him here." spat Kermit slamming the armrest again. "Da#$ it!

"Then you would be in jail." Replied Paul, trying to calm Kermit down. "What happened?"

"I drove up to Caine’s place at the right time. No Caine!" started Kermit as he opened a can of beer. "I should have shot him for making me run up those flights of stairs."

"And?" stressed Paul, grabbing a beer himself and opening it.

"NO CAINE," bit Kermit as he gulped down a mouthful of beer. He then proceeded to finish the first can and grabbed another.

"Something tells me this is not the end of it," Paul remarked, taking a drink of his beer.

"How perceptive you are," Snarled Kermit as he ground his teeth. "I drove away thinking, ‘What the He$%!’ Then I saw him."

Paul nodded not wanting to interrupt.

"He was walking." Kermit chuckled. "Wandering I guess. I stopped the car and jumped out. I asked, "Did you forget that I was picking you up?"

Paul took a drink, and patiently waited for Kermit to continue.

"I hoped, I prayed he would say "YES!" continued Kermit, raising his beer then slowly lowered it. "But the answer was "No!" just a simple "NO!" He pressed the can into the armrest.

Paul sighed but said nothing.

"I demanded to know where he was going. He said something about finding some path or going to some place but basically in four words, Pal." Kermit recalled and then removed his glasses. He glared into Paul’s eyes and into his heart. "HE IS NOT COMING!"

Paul froze. He swallowed hard. He began, "Well?"

Kermit interrupted, "I should have shot him. I wanted to shoot him right there. I wanted to say, "How can you not come? Peter has been talking about this for weeks. His heart will be be…"

Paul watched as Kermit crushed the second finished beer can and threw it off the porch as he stood. Kermit threw up his hands and walked over to the railing. He slammed his hands down. "Da$% it! I just watched him walk off."

Paul stood and walked to the railing throwing his finished beer can off the porch. "There was nothing you could have done." His ears perked up as he heard a vehicle approach.

Paul’s heart hoped it would be another car. Perhaps Caine had changed his mind, gotten someone to drive him up. But Paul’s ears and mind told him it was the jeep with his joyous anxious son in it.

Paul turned toward the driveway to see the jeep flying down it. It stopped short of hitting the garage door. A car door was slammed. "SEE I TOLD YOU PAUL!" yelled a smiling Peter.

Peter opened the back of the jeep. "Got food! Got more beer!" Peter grabbed the first bag and walked toward the cabin. Obviously noting the crushed beer cans on the ground. "Couldn’t even wait for me?"

Paul observed with a saddened heart as Peter’s eyes scanned the grounds. "HEY POP!" After Peter walked up and placed the grocery bag on the outside table, Peter’s eyes gazed into the cabin. He then turned to Kermit. "Kermit" Peter questioned with a shaky voice. "Paul?"

He wanted to shout, "Your father is a monster! He is not coming, that’s how much he cares about you!" but he held his tongue. He just stood in silence as Peter grabbed the groceries and ran into the cabin.

"Da#$ it," Snarled Kermit as he slammed his fist down on the railing.

"Yeah Da#$ him!" growled Paul as he turned from the railing and slowly walked into the cabin.

Peter was standing in the kitchen by the sink. He supported his weight on his two hands gripping the counter top. His head and shoulder slouched.

Paul observed by the door silently for awhile. Nothing that he could say would take Peter’s pain away.

"Don’t say it," stressed Peter as he whirled around to face Paul. "He died or he is in the hospital or better yet he is saving some land from destruction."

Paul gazed into his son’s hurt eyes. "Peter," he started so lovingly. He walked casually over to him, gradually opening his arms. "I love you."

Peter accepted the embrace and clung to him for what it seemed dear life. There was nothing for Paul to say. He knew that nothing would make the hurt go away. He knew that if he ripped on Peter’s father that it would only drive the dull spoon in further. Silently he cursed Caine and some where in his evil being he wished Kermit would have shot him.

He held his son for the longest time. Kermit remained outside, obviously not knowing what to say or to do. Because he obviously knew what Paul did, nothing could be said or done.

The fishing week continued many more beers were consumed however many words that were felt were never said. By the end of the week Peter was smiling again, but Paul could read between the eyes and he knew his son was very unhappy.

On the way home Paul listened to Peter babble on about work and the fish they had caught. Paul laughed on the outside trying to keep up a good front, however he was furious on the inside.

Several weeks later as Paul and Kermit were standing at their favorite hot dog stand, his eyes caught a glimpse of the monster. "I don’t believe it!"

"What," questioned Kermit whirling around.

Paul slammed his hotdog down on the condiments counter and charged down the street.

"Now Paul," started Kermit as he reached out to catch Paul’s shoulder.

"CAINE," bellowed Paul as he stormed right up to Caine. He backed up silently and snarled, "I could slug you or shoot you were you stand right now and I don’t think there would be a DA#$ fool that would convict me."

"Paul," warned Kermit strategically positioning himself between Paul and Caine.

"I sense," started Caine slowly with no emotion on his face. "Your anger."

"Good," spat Paul. "Because it is a Father’s anger."

"I," began Caine, as he slowly reached up toward Paul.

"I don’t want to hear it" snapped Paul as he jerked away. It took all of his energy not to pull his gun or to punch Caine out. "I will just tell you Peter is gone for the week."

"Thank you." Stated Caine.

"Your not welcome." thundered Paul as he started to turn but then stopped. "I don’t know who you think you are or what you are trying to do but Peter was devastated just devastated."

"I sensed," uttered Caine.

"Let me finish!" bit Paul clenching his fist together. "I have to respect you for his sake. You are his uh da#$ father for heaven’s sake," Paul ground his teeth. "But I don’t understand how you can continue to hurt him so and I actually I hope I never do."

Caine stood there silent with no emotions on his face. Paul expected nothing less. "Mercenary work would fit this man fine," thought Paul as he turned his body to leave.

"Common Kermit this man is not worth losing my $1.00 hotdog over" he announced as he strolled away from Caine.

"Right," snarled Kermit in Caine’s direction.

Paul paused, turned, and looked at Caine. Kermit continued on, obviously he was not going to look back. Paul had to go back. As he did he eyed the man over once more and then declared, "Actually until you." Paul walked up and stopped about an inch away. "Until you clean up you act or start acting like a loving Father. You don’t deserve Peter’s love or our trust. That boy has a heart of gold and you treat it like sh#$! So you go save the world, go find your path, but stay away until you are ready to accept his love. Maybe then we can talk and have some sort of an understanding, but until I don’t want to see you. I can’t trust you and I won’t allow you to hurt my son anymore."

He turned around and gradually started to stroll away. He stopped and over his shoulder stressed, "I will tell Peter we ran into you and I will tell him you were doing what you usually do WANDERING or WALKING away."

Paul then continued on. He did not look back but grabbed his hotdog and hurried to catch his friend.

"You think, you’ll ever see him again," asked Kermit, as they casually strolled up to the precinct.

"Yeah. He is a Father. He’ll be back," replied Paul as he swallowed his last bit of hotdog.

"Will you forgive him?" questioned Kermit as his foot hit the first step.

"Kermit," remarked Paul as he turned to face his friend. "We all make mistakes. But love holds no grudges, no scores. I love Peter. If Peter’s heart can love and forgive Caine, then so shall mine."

As Paul turned and walked up the stairs he thanked God again. He thanked him for a son with a big heart. He thanked him for a son with a heart that could love two. Two fathers that made mistakes, but two fathers that loved him so.


The End