"Kolchak: The Night Stalker" Episode Guide

Kolchak really isn't a pure horror show, although it deals with man-killing monsters and creatures every week. The simple fact is you can't do a legitimate "horror show" on network time, as the sponsors don't want to scare people out of their pants. So we decided to titillate, not terrify, to have fun with it.

- Darren McGavin

Cast: Darren McGavin (Carl Kolchak), Simon Oakland (Tony Vincenzo), Jack Grinnage (Ron Updyke), Ruth Mc Devitt (Emily Cowles).

Executive Producer: Darren McGavin. Producer: Paul Playdon, Cy Chermak.

Creator: Jeff Rice.

Story Consultant: David Chase.

Music: Gil Melle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Episodes

THE RIPPER

THE ZOMBIE

U.F.O.

THE VAMPIRE

THE WEREWOLF

FIRE-FALL

THE DEVIL'S PLATFORM

BAD MEDICINE

THE SPANISH MOSS MURDERS

THE ENERGY EATER

HORROR IN THE HEIGHTS

MR. R.I.N.G.

THE PRIMAL SCREAM

THE TREVI COLLECTION

CHOPPER

DEMON IN LACE

LEGACY OF TERROR

THE KNIGHTLY MURDERS

THE YOUTH KILLER

THE SENTRY

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

THE RIPPER Guest Cast: Beatrice Colen, Ruth McDevitt

Writer: Rudolph Borchert Director: Allen Baron

 

Jack the Ripper is alive and well and knocking 'em dead in Chicago. The original Jack the Ripper, still alive and killing, finds his way to Chicago to begin his rampage again. Carl locates him on the advice from a nosey neighbor ( played by Ruth McDevitt, who would subsequently join the regular cast as Miss. Emily Cowles). He tracks the Ripper to his lair, and the carnage is brought to a shocking conclusion.

 

 

 

 

THE ZOMBIE Guest Cast: Joe Sirola, Charles Aidman, Val Bisoglio, Earl Faison, Antonio Fargas, Pat J. O'Malley, Scatman Crothers, John Fiedler

Writer: David Chase

Story: Zekial Markel Director: Alex Grasshoff

 

Carl gets involved in voodoo politics as the Chicago mob is slowly being picked off by a towering black zombie. From the boardrooms organized crime, to the dark mystery of Hatian magic in present day Chicago, Carl unwinds the story that brings him face to face with the walking dead.

 

 

 

 

U.F.O.(aka: They Have Been They Are They Will Be) Guest Cast: James Gregory, Mary Wickes, Dick Van Patten,Maureen Arthur, John Fiedler, Phil Leeds, Fritz Feld, Rudy Challenger, Carol Ann Susi

Writer: Rudolph Borchert Director: Allen Baron

 

The truth is really "out there" when Carl investigates the death of several animals in the zoo who have had all the bone marrow sucked out of them. Dodging piles of tar-like goo, and invisible menaces in the planetarium, he comes face-to-shiny-exterior with the killer's spaceship.

 

 

 

 

THE VAMPIRE Guest Cast: William Daniels, Jan Murray, Kathleen Nolan, Suzanne Charny, John Doucette, Jan Murray, Larry Storch, Milt Kamen

Writer: David Chase Director: Don Weis

 

This is one of my favorite episodes. Contrary to the current trend, the "Night Stalker"'s vampires are only ever portrayed as superficially attractive - so the sexual subtext of vampirism becomes subtextual again. This is a sequel to the pilot, featuring one of the "survivors" of the vampire in Las Vegas. Carl ends up in sunny Los Angeles, stalking a beautiful prostitute-turned-vampire. This episode features the most spectacular final confrontation of the entire series.

 

 

 

 

THE WEREWOLF Guest Cast: Eric Braedan, Henry Jones, Bob Hastings, Dick Gautier, Nita Talbot, Jackie Russell, Lewis Charles, Barry Cahill, Dort Clark, Heath Jobes,

Writers: David Chase, Paul Playdon Director: Don Weis

 

One of the weaker episodes finds Carl escaping the frigid winter in Chicago for the idyllic pleasures of a cruise - only to have his sojourn shattered by the emergence of a werewolf amongst the passengers. Not very effective, particularly in showing way too much of the werewolf, who just looks like a guy with a dirty face.

 

 

 

 

FIRE-FALL Guest Cast: Fred Beir, Philip Carey, Madlyn Rhue,

Writer: Bill S. Ballinger Director: Don Weis

 

A famous pianist is tormented by his dopplganger, a diabolical alter ego with a penchant for flames. Not one of the strongest stories, it finds Carl turning to the Church for help. Sometimes bundled with "The Energy Eaters" as a movie entitled "Crackle of Death".

 

 

 

 

THE DEVIL'S PLATFORM Guest Cast: Tom Skerritt, Ellen Weston, Julie Gregg, John Myhers, Jeanne Cooper, Bill Mims, Stanley Adams, Robert Do Qui

Writer: Donn Mullally Director: Allen Baron

 

The strangest bedfellows in politics: a young Tom Skerrit, and Satan (we won't get into the fact that Satan's been in politics from the beginning). Skerrit sells his soul for political advancement, and the power to transform into a Devil Dog (handy for hounding his competition).

BAD MEDICINE Guest Cast: Richard Kiel, Ramon Bieri, Alice Ghostley, Victor Jory, David Lewis, Marvin Kaplan, James Griffith, Dennis McCarthy, Morris Buchanan, Keith Walker, Madilyn Clark

Writer: L. Ford Neale Director: Alex Grasshoff

 

An ancient Native American spirit stalks the rich of Chicago in the forms of a variety of animals. He is cursed to try and rebuild the treasure stolen from the Gods, and his only weakness is in the eye of the beholder. This marks the first appearance of Richard Kiel as a monster on this show - see also: The Spanish Moss Murders.

 

 

 

 

THE SPANISH MOSS MURDERS Guest Cast: Keenan Wynn, Severn Darden, Randy Boone, Richard Kiel, Johnny Silver, Ned Glass, Virgina Gregg, Brian Avery, Maurice Marsac, Elisabeth Brooks, Donald Mantooth

Writer: Al Friedman Director: Gordon Hessler

 

So long Joe, me got go, me'o my'o - sunuvagun we have big Swamp Monsters on the bayou. A swamp monster emerges from the mind of a dreamer in a sleep experiment. It stalks the streets of Chicago, leaving a trail of wet moss, and bodies in it's wake. Carl takes to the sewers to track a creature that doesn't really exist. Once again, it's Richard Kiel doing duty under all that moss.

 

 

 

 

THE ENERGY EATER Guest Cast: William Smith, Michael Strong, John Alvin

Writers: Arthur Rowe, Rudolph Borchert Director: Alex Grasshoff

 

Another Native American legend stalks Chicago - only this one was here first. Construction of a new hospital wakens a great Bear Spirit that kills with electricity. Unusual episode in that Carl has the cooperation of the authorities in seeking the monster's weakness. Sometimes bundled with "Fire Fall" as a movie entitled "Crackle of Death".

 

 

 

 

HORROR IN THE HEIGHTS Guest Cast: Phil Silvers

Writer: Jimmy Sangster Director: Michael T. Caffey

 

Still one of the best, namely for the good writing, and the cast filled with old Jewish character actors. A Rakshasha, a flesh eating demon from Hindu legend, preys upon the elderly in Chicago's Jewish ghetto, taking on the form of the person his victim trusts most.

 

 

 

 

MR. R.I.N.G. Guest Cast: Julie Adams, Corrine Michaels

Writer: L. Ford Neale Director: Gene Levitt

 

A very clever (if somewhat chubby) android escapes from a research institute. Wearing a wax face, this misunderstood 70's Frankenstein monster wanders the streets of Chicago leaving a trail of corpses in his wake.

 

 

 

 

THE PRIMAL SCREAM Guest Cast: Pat Harrington, Katherine Woodville, Lindsay Workman

Writers: Bill S. Ballinger, David Chase Director: Robert Scheerer

 

The missing link is missing no more! An oil company drilling in the arctic uncovers million year-old cells that rapidly reproduce back in the lab in Chicago. An ape-man at large in the asphalt jungle leads Carl a merry chase.

 

 

 

 

THE TREVI COLLECTION Guest Cast: Nina Foch, Lara Parker

Writer: Rudolph Borchert Director: Don Weis

 

Carl is caught between the Garment District mob, and a beautiful witch when he investigates the death of a fashion spy. Things heat up when Carl is faced with an army of satanic mannequins.

 

 

 

 

CHOPPER Guest Cast: Larry Linville, Jim Backus, Sharon Farrell

Writers: Steve Fisher, David Chase Director: Bruce Kessler

 

"The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" meets "The Wild Ones" as the headless spirit of "the Swordman", a biker, picks off former members of a rival gang. Larry Linville - Frank Burns from TV's "M*A*S*H" - stars as the police lieutenant.

 

 

 

 

DEMON IN LACE Guest Cast: Andrew Prine, Keenan Wynn

Writers: Michael Kozoll Director: Don Weis

 

While translating an ancient tablet an arachaeology professor unwittingly summons a succubus (a female demon). Hopping into recently deceased young women around campus, the demon lures young men to their doom. Sometimes patched together with "Legacy of Te rror" as a movie called "The Demon and the Mummy".

 

 

 

 

LEGACY OF TERROR Guest Cast: Ramon Bieri, Pippa Scott, Sorrell Booke, Victor Campos, Erik Estrada

Writer: Arthur Rowe Director: Don McDougall

 

Carl comes face to face with a centuries-old Aztec mummy at the ballpark, following a series of brutal murders wherein the victim's heart has been removed. Notable for the appearance of a young Erik (C.Hi.Ps) Estrada as a rich wastrel (thank you Scott Sundstrom for reminding me). Sometimes patched together with "Demon In Lace" as a movie called "The Demon and the Mummy".

 

 

 

 

THE KNIGHTLY MURDERS Guest Cast: John Dehner, Hans Conried, Robert Emhardt, Jeff Donnell

Writers: Michael Kozoll, David Chase Director: Vincent McEveety

 

The haunted armor of a necromatic 12th century knight crashes the party when promoters try to turn the musem where he is on exhibit into a nightclub. Carl decides he has to go, and becomes the ax-man for the job. Hans Conried is a hoot as the disgruntled curator.

 

 

 

 

THE YOUTH KILLER Guest Cast: Cathy Lee Crosby, Dwayne Hickman

Writer: Rudolph Borchert Director: Don McDougall

 

Dating service from Hell? The cream of the singles scene are dying off - from old age. A beautiful devotee of an ancient Greek goddess has been trading their youth to improve her complection. What's Carl going to do now that he has the Gods mad at him?

THE SENTRY Guest Cast: Kathie Browne, Tom Bosley

Writers: L. Ford Neale, John Huff Director: Seymour Robbie

 

In a rehash of the "Devil in the Dark" episode of "Star Trek", workers at a high security underground complex are being killed off by a large bi-pedal lizard when construction disturbs her eggs.