World Without End

by Kadira Kerkhoff

(February 2001)

Disclaimer: This story is based on the television series "Kindred: the Embraced", which belongs to Fox Inc., Spelling Productions, and Revolution Films. This story doesn't attempt to infringe on their rights. No money is being made by the author of this story.

Fandom: KtE

Disclaimer: The following story is a work of fiction intended for personal use only. Vampire: The Masquerade is owned by Mark Rein*Hagen/White Wolf Publishing. The characters used in here are developed and copyrighted by Spelling Television, Inc.

Title: World Without End

Rating: R, I think

Pairings: Julian/Frank

Feedback: Since it is my first story in this fandom, I certainly won't say no

Summary: Set after 'Cabin in the Woods'. Frank tries to deal with the discovery of his Partner's true nature and realizes that some changes are inevitable. While he has to decide how to continue, an unbidden visitor in San Francisco will changesome life forever.

Notes: Due to the lack of a name for Frank's wife (I couldn't find a preference), she is named Lisa here. Dates are taken from the KtE-Timeline

My thanks to Askani for a wonderful beta and to Lady Serez for her suggestions and encouragement. All still remaining mistakes are my fault.



World Without End
by Kadira Kerkhoff



Sunday, 1st December

Like in trance Frank left the elevator, approached his apartment and fumbled with the keys before at last, with shaking hands, he managed to unlock the door and entered. With one fluid movement of his hand he slammed the door shut and leaned heavily against it, not caring for the rough wood that pressed itself uncomfortably into his back. In desperation he closed his eyes before he finally allowed the unnatural weakness he had fought already on his way back to his home, his sanctuary from the madness that had taken hold over his life, to take possession over him and he slid to the floor. Sanctuary... a weak laugh escaped the cop. Not anymore. During the last weeks it had become more a drop-in centre for Kindred than his own home. Not even here, with the door locked, he could feel safe anymore. Alexandra, Lillie, this Brujah guy and not to forget Sonny had dropped in here more than once. At least those were the vampires he knew about. He didn't even dare to think how many more have been here while he was away and unaware of the interruption in his privacy. Sickness threatened to overrun Frank by the thought of his partner. He felt betrayed. His partner, whom he should trust with his life - and had - was one of them. One of the creatures which had changed his life into a living nightmare that was populated with monsters no normal man would thought to exist. And the worst was, Sonny didn't even think that tiny detail was important enough to tell him. For all their time together in duty, for all the talks they had had about this subject, he had possible died laughing whenever Frank had tried to convince him from the existence of those beings.

... You get yourself a necklace of garlic, and some silver bullets. And call me when you feel better okay? ...

Word for word Frank recalled the conversations they had concerning this subject and with every minute he felt worse. The point that pained him most wasn't that Sonny was Kindred - he had learned to live with those creatures in his life, more or less - but that he had lied to him. That he had betrayed his trust in the worst way possible. He had called him crazy, while probably at the same time plotting with Julian Luna on how best to take advantage of his ignorance.

... Now there is two possibilities for that. Number one, you don't believe that they're real and number two... you know they are...

... See, that's why I say you're crazy, man. Because no matter what happens you just can't leave this alone ...

A wave of nausea threatened to overwhelm him and he barely managed to reach the toilet in time to empty his stomach. Completely worn out, he collapsed onto the tiled floor and let himself, his thoughts, and emotions flow, unable to shut them off. He didn't know how long he had drifted around, before he finally, and with a certain effort of willpower, managed to come to his feet again. But eventually he found the strength to lift himself up. Slowly, he went into the living room, grabbed a half-empty bottle of clear vodka and a glass and made his way towards the sofa. As he filled his glass, Frank counted back. Could it really be that it weren't even three months since he had been pulled into this nightmare? Since
Alexandra had revealed his true nature to him and with that unfolded a world in front of him that he hadn't thought possible? A world in which violence, power and blood were more important than anything else? The clear liquid burned its way through his throat and into his stomach; made him choke. But the sting was good. Soothing. It was real compared with what his life had become. A laugh that, even to his own ears, sounded dreadful, escaped Frank. The cop emptied the rest of the vodka in one gulp, then refilled his glass.


Monday, 2nd December

"Julian? Do you have a second?" Slowly, almost hesitantly, Sonny approached his Sire who sat in front of the low-burning fire. He didn't feel good about addressing Julian right now with a new problem. The Prince still mourned for his lost Sire and through their link Sonny could feel the rebound of Julian's emotions. Sorrow, hate and rage fought for dominance within the older Kindred. A dangerous combination and Sonny only hoped that his Sire once more could cope with what had happened.

"What is it?" The voice sounded tired, almost impersonal.

"About the funeral ... ," Sonny begun, carefully searching for the right words. "Frank was there. Even to him it must be obvious now that I'm not a mortal."

Words that finally got the Prince attention. In one graceful movement, Julian left the armchair and stood up. Arms folded in front of his chest he looked almost like his usual self, if it wouldn't have been for his eyes which were still shadowed by grief. "I see. What do you think he will do with the knowledge?"

"I'm not sure. At the moment he is a bit unpredictable when it comes to us. Whenever I get the impression that he finally can deal with the fact that we are part of nature, the next moment he is doing or saying something completely different. When he last saw me as what I am, I had to make him forget to prevent a hysterical outburst."

"He saw you?"

"Yes, in the Children's Hospital, after he stumbled over Daedulus."

"You never told me about it."

Although it wasn't a reproach, merely an observation, Sonny felt the need to explain himself, "I didn't think it was important enough to disturb you, my Prince."

Julian nodded. "You know that I trust your judgment. That's why I wanted you to be his partner. But next time tell me when something happens that involves Frank. I promised to protect him, but this I can only do if I know what he is doing."

The voice of his Sire had been serious and the shadow of grief had been replaced by sincere worries for Sonny's mortal partner. Sonny knew that there was more behind Julian's caring than a last promise he gave to a past lover. During the last months, since Frank had shot Julian after Alexandra's death, Julian had not only come to respect the mortal, but also to like him. And even if Frank wasn't aware of it or unwilling to accept it, there was no place safer for him than under Julian's wings. There was nowhere else he would have survived the last weeks; not by the amount of the enemies he had made in town since Alexandra's death.

Although the eyes of the Prince laid on him, Sonny knew that Julian wasn't really watching him. His Sire thought about a way to deal with the current situation. "Have you seen him after the ... yet?"

"No, I wanted to talk to you first."

A smile spread over Julian's features, enlightened them. "I knew that I made a good choice when I selected you as my Childe." It was the first time that Julian had spoken so openly about his feelings towards his youngest Childe, and that made this moment very special to Sonny. Because although Julian was his Sire, their connection was far from being as close as the one between Archon and Julian had been. A fact that hadn't gone unnoticed by the younger Kindred and at times was a real strain on Sonny's life. "Talk to him. Find out how he can cope with the new developments. Maybe all of our worries are for nothing and it did no damage. And if Frank acts strange in any way, I'll speak to him myself." Sonny nodded. That was what he had hoped for. "But Sonny, I don't want this conversation to leave the room. The situation is difficult enough at the moment and I don't want to feed the tension unnecessarily. I expect you to report to me as soon as possible. The next Conclave will be held to the end of the next week, and until then I have to know if we have to do something about Frank. "

"Of course, Julian." Sonny said, not daring to ask what Julian would do with Frank if it went wrong, if his Partner couldn't deal with the new developments.

"And I wish you to have a part at the Conclave." Confused, Sonny looked at the Prince, waiting for his Sire to explain this order. "After all I have to introduce the new Primogen of our Clan." Julian graced Sonny with a smile, that couldn't really drive away the pain that had settled over the older Kindred's features by those words and the memories that came with them.

"You mean ..." Sonny felt lost at words.

"Yes. I need someone I can trust to represent the interests of our Clan. And that somebody is you."

If he would had been able to blush, he would have taken on the color of ripe tomatoes. Sonny only stared at Julian in amazement. "Thank you, my Prince. I won't disappoint you."

"I wouldn't have chosen you if I had any doubts. And now leave me, I have some business to attend do. Or is there more?" Sonny heard Julian asking.

"Yes, one more thing. I don't think it's important anymore since Cameron wouldn't dare to do anything that would gain your displeasure, but when he
thought you dead, he came to the police station and threatened Frank ..."

Julian nodded grimly. "I think you are right. I cut him down to size just to the right time. I can't see him doing the same mistakes like Eddie. He won't go against the people under my protection and in doing so risk my wrath and his life. But I will keep an eye on him."

"I just hope that you are right."

"Sonny, I know that you care for Frank, and trust me, so do I. We will do everything possible to keep him from harm."


Deep, impenetrable darkness surrounded him when he opened his eyes, not knowing what caused him to wake up. For a moment he simple laid in his bed, unmoving in the attempt to adjust to the cold obscurity that seemed to be even more dark than usual. It was quiet. But it wasn't the normal silence of the night. There was more. It was threatening, somehow. Shivering, the young boy left his bed and felt his way towards the door of his room. With only a slight hesitation he opened it. Carefully, the boy stepped out of the door and followed a flickering light that threw large, dancing shadows onto the white walls of the floor. But despite his fears for the shades, he made his way towards the closed door of his mother's bedroom. Almost feeling like one of the remote-controlled cars he owned, he approached the door, driven by the strong urge to reach the shelter the arms of his mother promised. The door was slightly ajar and without further hesitation he slipped into the room.

"Mom?" he called out, his voice barely more than a whisper. The answer was unnatural silence. He couldn't even hear his mother breathing. Slowly, he went further into the room. "Mom!" he called again, this time louder while he approached the bed. But before he could reach it, he stumbled on something soft that laid in his way. Carefully, he went to the knees, feeling for the object that had caused his almost fall and prevented him from reaching the safety he craved. Panic welled up in him, when he felt a familiar shape. When his hand touched soft and long strands, he couldn't help anymore but cry out. In panic he scrambled to his feet and turned around to escape. But before he could take one more step, he was stopped by a huge dark figure that loomed above him.

It watched him with silver shining eyes that glowed in the darkness. The cry never got to his lips. Too strong was the shock of what he saw when suddenly the light was switched on and he found himself surrounded by three figures. Mesmerized, the boy watched them. A beautiful blonde woman smiled at him. A smile that was everything but reassuring for it showed two frightening long and pointy teeth and lips smeared with blood. The second man's face was blurred, so that the boy couldn't make out his features, but the bloody hands were more than enough proof for the boy that he was like the woman. Almost against his own will, he turned around to face the third person. It was a tall, elegant looking man who graced him with a knowing smile. The front of his white shirt was smeared with blood. Slowly, the young boy turned away from the gruesome, yet painfully familiar faces and directed his attention to the body at his feet. He stiffened. His mother lay like a broken doll on the floor, almost translucent. Nausea came over him and he had to turn away. When he could look again, he realized with a shock, that it was not longer his mother, but his wife's dead body that laid beside him and watched him out of ghostly dead eyes.

"Come with me Frank. I need you." The voice was low and seductive and almost against his own will, Frank stood up and approached the source of it. In passing he realized that he was no longer a child but a grown man.

"Alexandra," he heard himself whispering, astonished.

"We are all around you, Frank; we always were. I am waiting for you. There is no escape for you. You belong to us; to me." Too confused and too horrified to grasp the meaning of those words, he turned his attention to the one who had spoken. And suddenly the name was no longer behind his consciousness, just out of his reach, but standing clear in front of him. Julian Luna, Prince of the City. Unable to make a sound, or to form words, he turned around to the last man. An action he regretted almost immediately. The features weren't blurred anymore, but easy to recognize as his Partner's; Sonny Toussaint.

Frank woke up with a cry. Trembling all over he tried to sit up. But it was just that, an attempt. For his whole body, in particularly his head, protested against his action. The hunted look, the result of his nightmare, was replaced with pain by the sudden movement. Carefully, he withdrew the blanket that covered his sweat soaked body and made another attempt to get in a sitting position; very slowly to prevent his body from hurting even more. The pain of his every movement was only surpassed by the aftermath of his dream. With a groan Frank leaned against the back of his couch, hugging his knees. Could they not even let him have his peace in sleep? His mother, Lisa, Alexandra, Julian and Sonny ...

The shrill ring of the telephone echoed painfully in his head and interrupted his pondering just before they could become even more gloomy. For a moment he stared at the offensive object but made no move towards it. A gaze on the luminous figures of his alarm clock told him everything he needed to know; he had overslept. And that not only a few minutes but half of the night. Finally the piercing sound stopped. For a short moment Frank closed his eyes in the attempt to clear his thoughts, to decide what to do next. But thinking was difficult if your head was feeling as if it would burst the next moment. With a sigh, he opened his eyes again and glanced around the room. With a certain repulsion his attention was caught by the empty glass bottle on the table. He shuddered. It was no wonder that he felt so terrible; but at least it was an explanation for his strange nightmare
- even thought it didn't make it any more pleasant. He had known all along that it was a mistake to keep the bottle in the first place. Reluctantly, the mortal stood up and made his way towards the window, trying to ignore the headache that, with every passing minute, seemed to get worse. He opened the window and greedily breathed in the cool night air and only after he had managed to repress the pain so that it was not more but a dull thump in the back of his head, Frank made his way towards the bathroom.

After a long hot shower and two aspirins he felt ready to face the world once more, if not his job and Sonny. Frank wasn't ready yet to deal with what he had discovered about his partner and the whole string of problems it brought with it. Not this night anyway and certainly not as long as he didn't know what to do. When his phone rung for the second time, this time if possible even more insisting, he accepted the call.

"Yeah?" Not very surprising to Frank it was the department, asking about his whereabouts. With a few words he excused himself for the night, calling in sick.

"Have you reached him yet?" Sonny asked the young Police woman which, for this evening, was responsible for the phones and whom he had asked to call his partner.

"Yes. And he excused himself. He is sick."

This was not good, not at all. The last time he had seen the young mortal, two days ago at Archon's funeral, Frank had looked shocked, but otherwise had seemed to be quite well. There was only one explanation for it; Frank was trying to avoid him. Thoughtfully, the Kindred shook his head. He would have to pay Frank a visit. They had to talk before it could get any worse. It was a situation he would have liked to prevent. He didn't want to invade Frank's privacy, didn't want to make his partner feel cornered. But it seemed, there was no other way now. A brief, polite smile to show his gratitude towards the young woman and he turned around, making his way towards the exist and so towards a confrontation that
couldn't be delayed any longer.

***

Impatiently and worried, Sonny paced around the room. Damn, where was his partner? Even if Sonny hadn't believed that he was ill, he had at least thought of meeting him in his apartment. But there was no sign. And to make it even worse, sunrise was near what meant that he had to take his leave soon; probably before Frank would return.


Chapter 2

Tuesday, 3rd December

Nervously, Frank entered the precinct. He hoped to have a few more moments alone before he had to face his partner and to voice his decision.
For the last night, and for the most hours of the new day, he had wandered around, aimlessly, not knowing, not even caring, where his way would lead him, until he finally had found a solution to his dilemma. In the end it had been so easy, that it was almost laughable. He only had to get his life back, to start somewhere new, far away from the town where every corner held memories, where he was hunted by his past and surrounded by beings that belonged to a world he couldn't understand, one that he feared and loathed. Yet, in a deeply hidden part of himself, where he wasn't forced to think about it, he knew that this wasn't the absolute truth, that he was lying to himself. He had loved Alexandra and had even been willing to become a part of her world. Not to speak about Lillie and her games with him, which he enjoyed very much, even if he would never admit it. And Julian. As much as he had hated the Prince in the beginning and wished for his death, he couldn't deny that he had grown to not only respect, but also to like him ... somehow. The coldness he had felt when this Cameron guy had told him that Julian was dead had been proof enough for that. And it was a feeling that was scaring him. How could he care for creatures so alien to him? Creatures who lived in a world that was ruled by darkness and violence? Creatures that were the embodiment of everything he feared? The answer turned up in his mind instantly; because in some
strange way they were also more human than his own race ever could be. Well, at least most of them. An involuntary shudder escaped Frank when he thought about Eddie Fiori. He had been one of the real monsters, not caring for anyone but himself and stopping at nothing to reach his goal. Frank wasn't sorry that he was history, yet he had real doubts if Cameron, obviously the new leader judging by his behavior, was so much better ... One more reason to leave this madness behind him. He couldn't allow himself to become even deeper absorbed in the seductive and dangerous darkness that had overthrown his life.

"Frank! Where in hell have you been?" It was Sonny who interrupted his musings and let Frank realized that he had already reached his desk.

"Sonny." Frank tried to keep his voice and face bare of any emotion when he acknowledged the presence of the Kindred. Something that wasn't that easy.

"It's good to see you. I was ... worried." How could it be that such creatures, capable to commit the worst crimes, were able to feel such compassion?, Frank wondered but of course said nothing of this aloud, he couldn't.

"Well, yes, I'm fine."

Before Sonny could ask any more questions, Kwan came out of his office, very much to Frank's relief. "Frank, it's good to see you back. But, you're
sure you're well again? You look like death warmed up." Before Frank could even think about an answer, Kwan continued," Anyhow, I trust you to know what you're doing. We just got a call. An old woman went out for a last walk with her dog and saw a man turning into a wolf; right in front of her eyes. That should be something for you Frank."

Frank and Sonny exchanged a knowing gaze. " It's monster time again." Sonny's voice was oozing with sarcasm and Frank had to admire his ability to deal with such situations.

"That is why I think you're the right guys to investigate here. It's probably nothing but an old woman imagining things in the dark, but if it will help her feel better ..."

"All right, we are on our way," Frank stated, feeling a creepy coldness welling up in him. And another one. It would never stop, would it? Not for the people here anyway, but at least he could escape the situation ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Frank, we have to talk." His partner's voice was insisting and Frank realized that Sonny wouldn't take a no for an answer.

"I'm not really in the mood." And probably never will be, Frank added in thoughts. "We have a woman to take care of."

"We are on our way. Besides, we both know what this is about."

"Yeah, another poor woman who will be said is to be crazy." The bitterness in Frank's voice was plain and he could feel rage welling up within him. "Tell me, was it hard to suppress your amusement when I, not more but a mere mortal, tried to convince you from the existence of your race?"

"I never laughed at you, Frank."

"Certainly."

"I only did what I had to do."

"And what was that?"

"To keep the secret of my kind."

"Not caring who would get hurt in that course," Frank murmured, more to himself than to the Kindred beside him.

A loud sigh was the first reaction. "You know that this isn't true. Even before you were under Julian's protection I tried to keep you safe."

"How? By lying to me?"

"You didn't leave me any other choice. It was necessary that you trust me, could you have done so when I told you the truth?" Frank didn't answer. They both knew that Sonny was right, anyway.

"Hell, Sonny. I trusted you with my life. That is what partners do. How could you betray this trust?"

"Can't or don't you want to see what is right in front of you? I couldn't act different. It was my order and even if it hadn't been, I wouldn't have acted differently. You were so absorbed in your hate, in your fear for the unknown, that you never could have seen reason. You would never have believed me that we're not all monsters, that I indeed tried to protect you."

"If you say so." Frank felt his rage vanishing as fast as it had welled up just a few moments ago. He felt so damn exhausted and helpless. As if he could block out the world and forget, he closed his eyes. "Not that it would matter anymore." His voice was low, almost resigned. He didn't have any fight left.

"What do you mean?"

"I'll take my leave here. Go away, forget about everything and start all over."

The shock the Kindred radiated was almost tangible. Yet Frank couldn't feel any satisfaction by the victory of having the moment of surprise on his side. "You want do what?" his Partner asked.

"Take my leave."

"But you can't do that! You --" Loud honking interrupted Sonny who had starred at him and he turned his attention back to the street they were driving on. Not one moment too early. While he was obviously busy to process Frank's statement, he hadn't paid attention to the street and now they were driving on the wrong lane; face to face with a garbage truck. In the last moment Sonny managed to alter the course and they passed the truck without damage.

"Well, if you don't change your driving style, I won't go anywhere. That is for certain," Frank stated flatly when he had recovered from the shock. Before his partner had a chance to answer, he pointed right. "We're here."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What will you do with her? Maybe some of your mind magic?"

"It is called 'domination' and if it should be necessary; yes, I'll use it. But first I have to find out what she knows." The atmosphere between them was strained when they finally reached a small, dilapidated house. Nervously, Frank looked around, he couldn't help feeling that he was observed.

"Brujah."

"What?"

"It is a Brujah, I can sense him."

Before Frank could answer, the door opened and a short, old woman with gray hair stood in the door frame, followed by a small black dog who looked like a mix of dachshund and poodle. "Yes?" Her voice was thin and trembling.

"We are from the police. This here is Detective Kohanek and I'm Detective Toussaint," Sonny introduced them, showing his identity badge.

"Thank god, you're finally here. I already thought you would never come. It was so terrible. One minute I saw a man and the next a wolf. He growled at my sweet Duffy and almost scared him to death. It could be that he will never recover from it." To be truthful, Frank didn't see that Duffy's encounter with the wolf had any lasting effects, for the dog waged with his tail as if he would get a price for it.

"I'm sure it was a shock for both of you," Sonny interrupted the torrent of words. "But maybe we can go in and talk there?"

"Oh yes, of course. I have to apologize, but the --"

"My Partner will go in with you, while I'll take a look outside. Where did you say you've seen this wolf?" Frank ignored Sonny's gaze.

"That is a wonderful idea, Sir. Maybe you'll find a trace of him. It was right down the street, the house on the corner with the terrible overgrown garden and the ugly gnome at the entry. I really don't know how the Winsons can stand the sight of it without having nightmares. "

"Frank, we should go together. He may still be here." Sonny's voice was alarmed.

"Detective, the young man looks as if he is capable of looking after himself. Come in and let me tell you what I've seen," the old woman said resolutely, already pulling the Kindred in her flat. It was the last thing Frank heard, for he already had stormed down the uneven wooden stairs and was on the street.

Carefully, he followed the street in the direction the woman had given him. The surroundings were dark and cheerless and it was obvious, that the people living here weren't rich. The absence of any streetlight didn't help much to lessen the gloomy feeling Frank had. The only lights came from the few illuminated windows, yet it wasn't enough to see very far. Following the dark street, Frank asked himself if it hadn't been a very bad idea to leave Sonny behind and to go out alone. He startled when he suddenly heard a gunfire. He drew his own gun, ready to face who or whatever was the source of it. But it was just a TV he discovered when music took over. "Stupid!" he cursed himself for his inner tension. It wouldn't do him any good to lose himself in it. Not yet. Frank stopped, took a few deep breaths before he had regained enough control to continue his search. Finally he reached the corner-house the woman had described. Everything was silent, maybe too silent for a house with bright illuminated windows. Slowly, almost hesitatingly, Frank approached the entry. His gaze fell on a huge garden gnome who watched him from under a orange colored pointed cap. An involuntary shudder escaped the cop. The old lady was right; it was ugly. Passing the glaring gnome, Frank made his way through the garden in which the most different flowers and plants were growing in no real order, and finally reached the main door. He closed his eyes and concentrated on any sound that might have escaped him before. There was none. The house was dipped in silence and hadn't it been for the lights, he wouldn't have thought anyone at home. Frank was on alert when he discovered that the door was not closed. Pressing against the rough wood, it opened without resistance. Carefully, he entered, braced for everything. Or so he thought, but he could never have been prepared for what he saw now. Four bodies lay on the ground, at least that was what he guessed, for their bodies were completely disfigured. Limbs were separated from the bodies, and at least two of them were headless. One other had a mangled throat and in an obvious act of mockery, another body, a small one, obviously from a child, had been sat on a chair in front of a table, broken limbs arranged so that it wouldn't fall down. Frank felt a wave of
nausea rolling over him, threatened to take possession of him. Pulling all his will power together, he grabbed his gun in one hand, knowing that it wouldn't help him much if the monster that had caused this bloodbath was still in the near, but determined to hurt it as much as he could, and fished for his cell-phone while he slowly went backwards out of the door to escape the madness.

"Sonny?" he barely recognized the rough voice as his own. "Call reinforcement and come over here."

"Where are you Frank and what happened?" The worry in his partner's voice was plain. Frank just opened his mouth to answer, when he suddenly saw a huge black shadow jump over the hedgerow that circled the garden and towards him. Before he could react in any way, he found himself on the ground, pinned by a wolf who slowly and in front of his eyes transformed into a human form. With the trained eye of a cop he noticed that it was a woman, middle aged and very deranged looking. Her face was framed with wild, unkempt blonde hair. With shinning gold eyes, she glared down at him, dangerously. Her eyes gleamed with fiery rage and hate. A gaze that didn't promise anything good. And suddenly Frank knew that he was lost, that he was about to lose his life by this terrible monster, for something different he couldn't see in her. With this certainty, the last fades of his shock vanished and his survival instinct set in. He fought. Having the moment of surprise at his side, he threw the monster above him, who obviously hadn't expect any resistance, off balance and managed to free himself. In one haste move, ignoring the pain of his body, Frank came to his feet and searched for the gun that he had lost by the impact with this being. He located it. With a desperate jump he landed onto the ground beside it, grabbed it and aimed it at the Vampire. He was too slow. Before he could even fire once he was pinned to the ground again and the hand with the gun was taken in a strong grip. He cried out when he heard the shattering of his bones. It was over. He was doomed. For a short moment his eyes and that of the monster locked and for a second he thought he saw more in them thenthe thirst for blood, something like interest. But before he could be sure about it, it had vanished. The hand that had broken his bones as easily as it would have been nothing but a thin branch, grabbed his head and turned it aside, obviously not caring for the pain he caused the mortal. Frank closed his eyes, waiting for his end to arrive.

"You're brave. I give you that. Maybe ... "

Frank couldn't process the meaning of those words, for in the next moment he felt a terrible pain in his neck and knew he was about to die. Drop for
drop he could feel how the blood left his body, how he became weaker and weaker. He couldn't struggle anymore. His vision was going blurry and a terrible coldness took over him. Thinking became impossible and then suddenly there was darkness.


Chapter 3

"Frank?" The answer was silence. Something was definitely wrong here. It shouldn't have been a problem for Sonny to hear the heartbeat of his partner, or to sense him in any other way if he was near. But maybe he already followed another trace? Maybe that had distracted him from answering his questions on the phone. Yet, Sonny couldn't ignore the gnawing feeling in his stomach that told him that this was not the case. Without hesitation, Sonny went around the corner and entered the garden. He stopped immediately when his gaze fell on a figure sprawled on the ground. With one jump he reached the body and kneeled beside it onto the damp earth. An unearthly cry escaped him when he discovered that his worst imagination had come true. It was Frank. And he wasn't dead. Not really. The gaping wound at his throat, was already healing. And if that wouldn't have been enough proof for Sonny for the horror that has taken place here, the blood that plastered his partner's face and his torn clothes would have convinced him completely. Frank had been embraced. And for what he could see, it didn't happen without a fight. His worst nightmare had come true, he had failed in protecting the young mortal's life.

Like in a trance he reached for his phone. He had to call Julian, had to tell him what had happened. He closed his eyes when he heard the familiar voice of his Sire. "Julian? You have to come." While he was talking, his gaze fell onto the wide open door and onto a headless body that lay almost in the door frame. Slowly, the Kindred stood up and approached the house. A shudder escaped him by what he saw. "One of us lost control. We have a dead family." Speaking became with every moment more difficult then the last . "No, I don't think I can deal with it alone. There is more. Frank he is ... he has been ... embraced." His voice was barely more than a whisper when he finally had managed to voice the horror that had taken place. The silence at the end of the line was a reflection of his own shock. With shaking fingers, Sonny cut the connection when he had told his Prince where to find them and turned his attention once more to his partner. His eyes burned with unshed tears. Sonny wished there was something, anything, he could do. But for now he had to wait for Frank to wake up. He only hoped that Julian would arrive before that would happen, for he really didn't know what to tell his partner and how to deal with the rage that certainly would come with the discovery of what had been done to him.

He turned his back to the figure on the floor and entered the house. He couldn't suppress the guilty conscience that he could have prevented this outcome. He could have gone with Frank. There would have been time later to manipulate the old woman ... But it was too late for such thoughts, wasn't it. The damage was done and they had to live with the result. Sonny could only hope that his partner would be able to do so. That Frank could accept and learn to live with the violence that had been done to him; with the new stage of life he had entered.

The scenario inside the house, although certainly gruesome, couldn't shock Sonny much more after what he had discovered outside. These here were at least strangers and not a man with whom he had worked together during the past months, whom he had not only tried to protect but whom he had called a friend. Yet, it was still terrible. Certainly the work of one of his kind, a Brujah, who had lost control. Sonny hoped that they would find him and make him pay dearly for what he did. Since there was nothing more he could do, he left the house, to look out for his partner.

The string of bad events wouldn't stop. Frank was awake. In the pale light of the house, Sonny saw how he tried to come to his feet. Then, obviously having discovered that something was wrong, he froze. "Frank?" Sonny voice was low and calm. He didn't want to frighten the new-born Kindred more than he most certainly was already. Startled, Frank looked up and met his eyes. His gaze was filled with horror and dread. Slowly, Sonny approached him. But before he could even get close to him, Frank had his gun in his hand and aimed at Sonny.

"Stay where you are!" The voice was thick with distress.

"Frank, you need to calm down."

"I don't want to calm down! Just tell me what happened here. What happened to me?"

The sound of a fast nearing car that finally, with squealing brakes, came to a stop in front of the garden, saved Sonny from giving an answer. Julian approached them quickly, followed by Daedulus and Cash. Out of the corner of his eyes, Sonny noticed that his Sire, although on the surface in control over his feelings, was paler then usual. Not surprising considering the situation. Frank's attention wavered from Sonny to Julian. "What are you doing here?" The question was hissed.

"Frank, lay down the gun. I'm not your enemy. I'm here to help you."

"I don't need your help!"

"Do you remember anything about what had happened to you?" The hands of the new-born Kindred started to shake and he grimaced, showing that the first waves of pain went through him that initiated the original change at which end Frank would be truly one of them. Still, he didn't let go of his gun. If possible, he had tightened his hold even more and now aimed it at the Prince. Julian didn't show any irritation by the threatening gesture, but simple came closer. "Frank, I know that you're in pain. Let me help you. Or at least let me explain what happened." When there was only silence, Julian continued, " You have been embraced. You're one of us now."

Sonny couldn't see Frank's eyes for Julian had stepped in his view, but even so it wasn't necessary for Frank voiced his shock loud enough. "You're lying!"

"You know that I'm not lying. You feel different. The pain cursing through your body is the sign of your Change. Your body is dying. When it is over, you will be one of us."

The last words, to hear the horror spoken out aloud, caused the distressed fledging to snap. Frank cocked his gun and fired. The bullet never reached it's target, for Frank had collapsed to his knees, a cry of anguish on his lips that caused Sonny to shudder. It hadn't been that long ago that Julian had embraced him that he couldn't remember anymore the feeling of his dying body around him. Yet, in the opposite to Frank, he had chosen this life. Sonny could only guess how much worse it must be for his partner. Instinctively, he made a move towards Frank to help him if only by being there for him, but stopped when he saw that Julian was already beside Frank. His Sire had pulled the moaning man into an embrace while to the same time murmuring soothing words into his ear which Sonny couldn't understand. But whatever it was, it obviously helped. When Julian stood up, Frank tried to follow his example but succeeded first when Julian steadied him. Still holding the trembling Kindred, he ordered," Daedulus and Sonny, clear the ground here and then meet me back at the Mansion."

Frank had never thought such a pain possible. His whole body seemed to be on fire, seemed to be burning from the inside out . And although it was almost impossible to form a clear thought, one stood clear in his mind:

... You have been embraced, you're one of us now ...

It couldn't be. Impossible. Yet, his body and the vain memories of his encounter with this ... this thing told him something different, labeled his hope, that this was nothing but a bad nightmare from which he would wake up again, a lie. Frank couldn't remember a time in which he had felt so terrible. Not only that his body hurt, but there was also something wrong with his perception. The lights of the street-lamps they passed were to bright to be comfortable and the faintest sound seemed to echo unbearable loud in his head. Like it would be a shed anchor, he clung to the man at his side who held him in his arms. It was only there that Frank had the feeling of safety in his own personal nightmare. When the car came to a
stop and Julian made attempt to loosen the embrace, Frank moaned. "It's OK, Frank. You're safe here. We're at my home. But we have to leave the car and get you somewhere more comfortable." Reluctantly, Frank let go and tried to follow the Kindred, which he finally managed with some assistance. "I'll take him to the guest-room and look after him. Tell me when Sonny and Daedulus are back. I want to meet you all in my study. We have to decide what to do next. "A new wave of pain washed over Frank, more fiery than before. With a cry he bent over and would certainly have hit the ground if Julian had not had a hold on him.

"I can't endure more." Those were the first words he spoke since his break down in the garden and Frank barely recognized his own voice.

"You will. We all went through this, Frank. It will pass." The words, although spoken in kind, caused Frank to flinch for the cruel finality they contained. His life the way he knew it was over. The only thing real to him was the unimaginable pain in his body and the emptiness within him that threatened to absorb him.

With some help Frank finally reached a bedroom where he collapsed almost immediately onto the floor. His whole body was shaking. Faintly, he noticed that Julian went down beside him. "It hurts." The words were not more than a whisper.

"I know, Frank. I can do something about it, if you let me help you." The new-born Kindred was willing to do almost anything if it would stop the pain and nodded. In one swift motion, Julian stood up, got rid of his coat, rolled up the sleeves of his shirt and sat down again beside Frank. The cop saw how Julian bit himself, an action that was almost immediately followed by the sweet smell of blood. A smell that was so tempting that it was frightening in its intensity. Frank shrunk back. He couldn't do it. Couldn't drink someone else's blood. But before he could really retreat, he was caught again in an embrace and pressed tightly with his back against Julian. "You need this, Frank. It will still your hunger and soothe your pain." The voice was hypnotizing and Frank felt himself immediately relaxing. He grabbed the offered arm. Hesitating, he begun to lap up the free
flowing blood. But with the first drops the hunger took over and the beast within him awoke. He sunk his new sprouted fangs into the surprisingly soft flesh and begun to drink in earnest. Sensation over sensation flooded through him when he absorbed the life-force of the older Kindred. He couldn't recall that had he ever eaten something tasting that good. A growl escaped him when Julian, after a time, tried to break the contact and it took all his effort to let go. For a moment he allowed himself to relax completely, to flood in the aftertaste of the blood. But then it all came back to him. The reason for his being here, the violence that has been done to him earlier the night. With a strength he hadn't thought he could possess, he freed himself out of the embrace and jumped to his feet. Julian watched him, obviously confused.

"Why, Julian? Why me, why now?"

"I don't know, Frank. But I promise you --"

"No more promises, Julian. I still have to chew on the results of your last." Frank knew that he wasn't fair. Julian *had* tried to protect him, even though he hadn't made it easy for the Kindred. But who was fair to him? Had anybody asked him if he wanted to become ... this?

Julian watched him silently, yet his eyes reflected compassion. An expression Frank couldn't endure. Not yet. It was hard enough to keep his own emotions in bay. He wouldn't give the triumph of laying bare his feelings to the situation. The only time he had allowed the man in front of him to see what he really felt, was after Alexandra's death. But not again. He didn't want to be so open, so vulnerable again. "I never wanted to be one of you." A lie. He had asked Alexandra just for this. But that was before he had discovered what being Kindred really meant. Yet ... Frank shook his head in desperation. His emotions were battling within him and some of them he didn't dare to explore further.

"Frank, I know that it isn't easy for you. But don't cling anymore to what is no longer. You can go through it. You have to accept what has happened, it can't be redone. Otherwise I would have done it already." The Kindred had stood up during his speech and was now right in front of Frank, his eyes boring into the fledging, insisting, almost pleading . Frank couldn't endure the gaze anymore and tried to break away. Julian didn't allow it. Instead he came even closer, cornered Frank between the wall and his own body, with one hand holding Frank's shoulder to keep him in place while the other hand tilted his face so that Frank was forced to meet the Vampire's eyes.

"Frank, I'm not the enemy. I told you this already, maybe it is time for you to believe me. I'm here to help you. I neither know who is responsible nor what his reason was. We only know to which Clan you do belong. But we will find out about the rest and I promise you that the one will pay for it. We won't let go your Embrace unpunished. "

"Which Clan?" Frank asked, not sure if he really wanted to hear the answer.

For a moment uncomfortable silence settled between them. "Brujah." The world echoed in his head, although Frank was sure that it had been only whispered. He closed his eyes in desperation. From all Clans possible it had to be the one whose leader he had chased, the Clan he detested most for what they were, for how they lived.

He graced Julian with a brief, bitter smile. "Shit. And there I thought it couldn't get any worse. Does this mean that I belong to ..." He couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence, to speak the name of the man who had threatened him just a few days before. Frank didn't even dare to imagine, what Cameron would do if he could get his hands on him. Where Eddie had been just stupid, this man presented real danger.

"We will have to see about it." The words were chosen with caution yet Frank was grateful for it was at least a small hope he could cling to.

"Julian?" Frank recognized Cash's voice even without opening his eyes. "Daedulus and Sonny are back. They're waiting for you in your study."

"Thank you, Cash. Tell them that I will be with them as soon as possible."

Panic got hold on Frank by those words. The thought of being left alone in this, for him, new and frightened state was almost unbearable. He felt safe as long as Julian was with him, but how could he deal with it alone? Frank's eyes flew open. "Don't go, please." The words were out before he could even thinking about it. So much for wanting to hide his emotions. " I ... I don't think I can deal with it alone ... yet."

Julian's voice was soft, soothing, when he spoke next, "You're not alone, Frank. We all want to help you. But you need to tell me what had happened in this house." An involuntary shudder escaped Frank when he recalled his last minutes as a mortal. He didn't want to talk about it. " It is important that you tell me everything you can remember." Obviously knowing exactly what the new-born Kindred needed, Julian pulled him in a short embrace before he lead him to the bed were they sat down.



Wednesday, 4 th December:

"How is he?"

"It could be better. He is scared and confused. Even more since he knows to which Clan he belongs," Julian explained his youngest Childe. "What have you told the department?"

"That Frank is sick and will not come to work for at least the rest of the week."

"Where there any problems?"

"No." Julian nodded.

"Do we know who embraced him?"

"Not yet, Daedulus. But very soon. Cash, I want you to fetch Lillie and Cameron as soon as the sun sets. Cameron will stand answer to me and the Conclave for what has happened." Julian could barely control the rage he felt by the thought of the Brujah Primogen. If Cameron had really been stupid enough to go against somebody who stood under the Prince's Protection, he would be dead before the next sunrise. Julian would see to that. He would make sure that never again anybody else would dare to go against his orders.

"It will be my pleasure," the young Gangrel answered with a grim smile.

"I'll see you all this evening then," Julian dismissed those present with a brief nod and left the room.

"Sire?"

Julian could barely repress a sight when he turned around. He was exhausted. The past hours he had been driven by his rage and his worries for the former mortal, but now he wanted nothing more but to make sure that Frank was fine and then to be left alone for some time. Yet this was a talk he couldn't delay. He had felt Sonny's conflicting emotions already when he had arrived at the place where the drama had taken place. "Come with me, let us have a drink, Sonny."

When they had made themselves comfortable in the living room, he watched his Childe questioningly, waiting for him to begin. "Will he be fine?"

"I certainly hope so. It wasn't easy for us and we went willingly. So you can imagine how it must be for Frank to discover that he suddenly is like the ones he hated and hunted."

"He does not hate us," Sonny defended his partner, causing Julian to smile. "He was just hurt after Alexandra's death."

"I know, Sonny. Even if he maybe hasn't realized it yet. But he will eventually. Hopefully, when he gets used to the idea of being one of us."

"I'm sorry Julian, I could have prevented it. I failed you and Frank."

"You should never have left him alone in the first place. Now we have to help Frank to make it as easy for him as possible." Hard words, but Julian was never one to veil the truth. The eyes of his Childe lay at him, yet Julian could tell that Sonny wasn't watching him but lost in thoughts. He reached out for the younger Kindred. "Don't blame yourself anymore. I could have taken more care myself. Besides, the one who did it should never have gone against my orders. But we will get through it. All of us."

A brief smile of gratitude enlightened Sonny's features. "What will you do if Cameron lays claim on him? He is the Brujah Primogen and Frank is Brujah ..." The unspoken worries for the newest Kindred wasn't lost at the Prince.

"Sonny, I will do my best to protect him, but I can't promise anything. If I can prevent it, I'll not give him to Cameron. But I cannot risk a Clan-War over the head of a fledging." He saw that his Childe had to swallow hard by his statement. But there was no sense in lying to him. Sonny knew their laws and traditions as good as Julian . He just opened his mouth to say something that would soothe Sonny's unease at least a bit, when there was a knock at the door and Frank entered. He had showered and looked much better than when Julian had left him. Covered by only a towel, Frank actually blushed when he saw that Julian was not alone.

"Eh ... Hi Sonny," he greeted his partner with clear embarrassment. That and the slight smile let him look much younger than he actually was ... and even more vulnerable ... Julian thought while vowing to himself to do anything in his power not to fail the young man once more, but to protect him at least in this new life.

"Frank?" he addressed him.

"Uh ... I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I didn't know what else to do." A shy smile spread over Frank's features, the first real smile since the whole drama had started. And, now that Julian thought about it, it was the first real smile Frank gave him since they had gotten to know each other. It was a beautiful sight. "I just wanted to ask if you've something for me to wear. My stuff is all in my apartment and since I obviously can't go there yet..."


Chapter 4

Julian looked out of the window, not really being aware of his surroundings. He was grateful to have a few more moments before the Conclave would start to collect his thought and emotions. Both of them were in turmoil. Yet, the brief time he had gained would hardly be enough to sort out everything. He was glad that their newest addition to the family had at least calmed down enough to be left alone for a while. The last hours, ever since Julian had picked up Frank after his embrace, he had clung to the Prince as if he would be his last grip to reality. His distrust and dislike had been replaced by the gnawing need of not being left alone. Never before, not even after Alexandra's death, had he seen the cop so vulnerable.
Frank's distress was plain and obvious. It was hard enough to enter this world of darkness willingly, but it must be really horrible to be thrown in it without your consent, to be stripped of everything you knew. Julian could hardly suppress a shudder. Someone would pay for it. He would make sure about it. First Sasha and now Frank. It was past time for him to secure his position to show the Brujah once and for all who the Prince was and what it meant to go against his orders. The time to mourn for Caitlyn, whom he had been forced to make forget her love for him, and for his dead Sire was over; now it was the time to show that he was able to lead his kind.

... Don't leave me ... I'm afraid ...

Even if he would have been able to ignore the despair in those words, the expression in Frank's eyes when he had silently begged for Julian's help, was too strong to be passed over without a word.

... I won't fail you again. This time I'll protect you, Frank ...

Yet, most surprised Julian was not by the exposure of the young Kindred, but by his own reaction to it. Far down in him something had stirred. An instinct to not only protect the former mortal, but also a kind of attraction towards him; an attraction he hadn't dared to explore further yet. And so, with a tenderness and patience he hadn't thought of possessing anymore after that long and exhausting day, he had spent the last hours together with Frank, had tried to ease his distress and to make him feel comfortable as best as he could. But not even now with the fledging asleep, he couldn't get him out of his head enough to prepare himself for the confrontation that would come with the arrival of the Brujah Primogen. Yet in
the end it was one and the same. After all the meeting was about Frank Kohanek and what had been done to him, how somebody had dared to go against his clearly expressed orders.

... I don't hate you, never did ...

"Cameron and Lillie are waiting for you in the conference room, Julian," Cash informed him, preventing Julian from pondering more on Frank's last words before he had left him.

"And Daedulus and Sonny?"

"Daedulus will be here in a moment and Sonny has just arrived."

"Thank you, Cash. Let's go." A cold grin had settled over the Gangrel's features, showing Julian that he would be more than happy to get rid of Cameron once and for all. He couldn't blame the younger Kindred for this feelings, after all his own emotions weren't too different.

The Prince took one deep breath, before he entered the room. Without hesitation, he approached the table. "I'm glad you all could come."

"Your Gangrel didn't leave me much of a choice. I just hope it will not take long. I've got business to take care of." Cameron's self-confidence was getting to Julian and the Prince had to put all his willpower together to regain control over his emotions. It wouldn't do any good, if he would allow his rage to overshadow his common sense.

"Believe me, Cameron. It is important. For you and your Clan even more than for the rest of us." His voice was dangerously cold. A pitch that didn't prove ineffective how he could see by the surprise in the Brujah's features. "But first things first. I want to introduce you to the new Ventrue Primogen; Sonny Toussaint." The reaction was silence, yet in the eyes of the Primogens he saw the most different emotions. But the only one significant were Cameron's, who couldn't hide his displeasure fast enough to go unnoticed to Julian.

"And now to my reason for this meeting. We have a serious problem. One of our kind had lost control and has gone against someone under my protection." For a short moment Julian stopped when a new wave of rage threatened to overwhelm him. The eyes of the Primogens lay on him, waiting for him to continue. He didn't disappoint them. "Yesterday night, Frank Kohanek had been embraced." A gasp, probably from Lillie, who had begun to like Frank as much as Julian himself, was the only thing heard in the following, crushing silence.

"And it is our problem if you are unable to take care of the ones you've under your protection?" Cameron sounded almost bored. A behavior that caused Julian to forget himself. His eyes gleamed silvery when he focused his anger onto the Brujah Primogen.

"It is *your* problem as much as mine, Brujah. It was one of your Clan who dared to disobey my orders. One of your Clan embraced Frank Kohanek. Do you have an explanation for it? One that will convince me from not taking your life here and now." The surprise in Cameron's face seemed to be honest from what Julian could sense. Yet, he wasn't willing to let him off the hook so easily. "Cameron?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't embraced anyone. And certainly not this cop. In the contrary to Eddie I don't fancy the thought of
enlarging our Clan with troublemakers."

"What about the rest of your Clan?" Lillie asked.

"They don't embrace without asking me first." The answer was crude, almost as if this question queried his ability as a Primogen.

"Well, somebody did; a woman to be precise. Frank could tell me that much. But I want to know who it was."

"What do you want to do with her if we should find her?"

"She has gone against too many of our laws, including making a fledging without my permission and endangering the Masquerade. She will die."

"Endangered the Masquerade? Frank knew already about us."

"There is more," Sonny begun to explain. "In the same night she has slaughtered a whole family. The bodies were still warm when we cleared up the evidence." Cameron listened silently. "It looked as if she had lost control over the beast."

"And how do you know that it was one and the same?"

"I could sense her on the victims as well as on Frank."

"We all did so," Daedulus added.

The Brujah Primogen looked defeated. "I have no idea who it could have been. Certainly not one of my people. I would have known if someone had lost control. But maybe we have a new admission I don't know about yet."

"Whoever it is, we have to stop her. I want you all outside tonight. We have to find her before she can do more damage."

"Do you want her dead or alive?"

Julian turned his attention to Cash. "If possible alive. I would like to ask her a few questions and I think Frank has a right to meet his Sire. But if the beast really took control over her, it might be impossible."

"And what about Frank?" Jealousy flooded through Julian when Cameron made known his interest in the young cop.

"He will stay here until the situation is solved. Then we will see about him."

"But he is a Brujah. He sh--"

"Which part of what I said didn't you understand, Cameron? Frank will stay here. He is the illegal creation of a Kindred who has fallen for the beast. And as far as I can recall our laws, his fate is in my hands to do what I think best. Or do you want to challenge my authority?" The edge in Julian's voice has been unmistakable, causing four pairs of eyes to look at him in surprise. "We will come together again later and then we will decide what to do about Frank!" Although he had spoken to the Conclave, his words were mainly meant for Cameron. The Primogen, obviously no longer able to hold the burning gaze of the Prince, lowered his head. "If there is nothing more, I'd suggest to come to an end. It wouldn't do any good to delay the search any longer."

Cameron was the first to take his leave.

"Thank you, Julian." The eyes of his Childe were filled with gratitude and relief when he addressed Julian just before he went out to gather their Clan for the hunt.

"Julian, you have to be careful. Such a situation, your refusal to give Frank to Cameron, could cause bad blood. And I think we all had enough of that."

"I see your point, Daedulus and I thank you for your thoughtfulness, but I think that I know what I do. I cannot leave Frank to them. I have failed to protect him as a mortal, and the least I can do is to keep him from harm now."

The gaze of the Nosferatu Primogen was unreadable. "You can lay claim on him since he was embraced against your will and has been abandoned by his Sire. It is your right. But are you willing to pay the price for it?" Julian, very well knowing what Daedulus was talking about, remained silent. He needed some time to think about it, to consider the consequences such an action would have. And above all, he couldn't make the decision for Frank. It would effect his life as much as his own and he had a right to decide if he was willing to do the step. He was so lost in thoughts, that he startled when somebody touched his shoulder. It was Lillie.

"I'm sorry, Julian. It shouldn't have happened. But maybe it was for the best."

"For who's best? For Frank's? Somehow I doubt that he will see it your way," Julian knew he sounded bitter, but couldn't change it. Too many failures in such a short time, too many losses. Frank just had been the last straw.

"That is not what I mean. But I'm sure, that one day, he would have come to us on his own. Did you know that he asked Alexandra to be embraced?"

"He did what? How do you know?"

"I wanted to know how he feels, what he really thinks and searched his mind. There I read it."

Julian stared at her in amazement, speechless for an instant. "And there I thought there was nothing that could surprise me anymore."

"It was too early for him. But I'm almost sure he would have come to us one day and have asked for it. Besides, what other possibility did he have? None. The knowledge about our existence would either have brought him to us one day, or it would have destroyed him. In my opinion he made the better bargain. It is only a pity that he was embraced by the wrong Clan. He doesn't fit in there."

Julian nodded gloomily. "Cameron hates him and would like to see him dead. Either that or he will use him against me."

"Only if you'll allow him to do so. Frank cannot fight for his right alone yet. He wouldn't stand a chance against Cameron. But you can help him. It is just as Daedulus said, are you willing to take the risk, willing to pay the price?" And with these last words, Lillie turned around and left Julian alone to ponder her remarks.

And so he did, yet he still couldn't bring himself to accept the most obvious possibility to save Frank from the unbidden heritage of his Clan and the even less welcome sudden interest of Cameron in the young cop. Julian suddenly felt a strong ache within him as he stared into the fire. How he longed to talk to Archon; only once more. He would have known how to proceed, what the right way would be.

A soft knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. Irritated, he glared at the intruder who had dared to disturb his moment of peace. His eyes softened immediately by the view of the youngest Kindred.

"I'm sorry, Julian. I didn't mean to bother you, but Sonny told me you were finished and I wanted to ask if there is anything new? Besides, I feel so strange, so nervous, so --"

"Restless?" Julian finished the sentence for him.

"Yeah, I think that's it. Everything seems so strange. I ... I feel like in a dream. Everything looks and feels so different. I can hear the lowest sounds ...,"obviously not knowing how else to explain his experiences, Frank stopped.

"Your senses are sharpened. That is one of the advantages of being a Kindred," Julian told the confused man patiently.

"I don't really know if I would call it an advantage. I think it's rather strange."

"Give it some more time, Frank. You'll get used to it. In time, this will be normal to you."

"You must think me a real pain in the neck, don't you. But I don't know who else to go to. This is all so bizarre and new for me. I'm trying, but it isn't so easy ..."

The helplessness the other Kindred felt was plain in his words, eyes and gestures. The Prince could sense that Frank wasn't comfortable with his vulnerability, especially not towards him. The body language revealed what Frank was about to do next; to flee from the room, maybe even from the Mansion to forget everything that has taken place here, maybe even the change in his nature. Julian couldn't allow that. He had to help the fledging to get over the fear and shock that was still in him.

In one swift motion Julian had left his place in front of the fire-place and stood beside Frank, blocking any escape possibility by holding the other man's shoulder. "Frank, you're not a pain in the neck, like you said. You're taking it better than others to whom this has happened. And I promised to help you, to be here for you if you need me. And I meant it. So why don't you sit down and we will talk?"

Before Frank had a chance to react in any way, to repulse him, Julian had led him in front of the fire and made him sit down. After he'd poured them both a glass of red wine, he joined him. With a small smile on his face, he noticed Frank's dubious glance towards the red liquid. "You can drink it. We can eat and drink like humans, it just will not still our primary hunger. We need the blood to survive, but that doesn't mean that we cannot enjoy a glass of good wine or even food now and then. But if I'm not mistaken, you know that already from Alexandra." Julian could see the alarm on the other man's face.

"Is there anything you don't know about me or my time with Alexandra?"

Obviously not enough , Julian thought, before he spoke out aloud, "At the time you started your investigation on me, I did the same on you. I like to know as much as possible about the person who wants to bring me down. But you didn't expect something different of me, did you?"

Obviously uncomfortable with the turn their conversation took, Frank broke the eye contact with a shake of his head. "No, not really. I'd have done the same."

Julian had to repress a chuckle by the reluctance that had accompanied the words."Probably we have more in common than one of us would have thought. But we are not here to talk about the past." Julian stood up to pace around the room while he choose his next words carefully. "Frank, as you know already, there was a Conclave meeting last night. You know what it is?" When Frank shook his head, Julian explained," It is a gathering of the leaders of the different Clans, also called Primogens, lead by the Prince, in which we discuss important things and make decisions. Yesterday it concerned, of course, the recent events. Your violent embrace and your Sire." Julian ignored the involuntary shudder that had escaped the young Kindred. "You should know that all Clans are on the search for her. She will be brought to me and then be punished for what she did to you."

"And what ...?"

"She has gone against almost all of our laws and traditions. She not only endangered the Masquerade by slaughtering innocents, but also embraced you although my vow to Alexandra is well known to the community. Something I cannot tolerate. So she will die before she can do anymore harm." His voice had become loud with the memories of the past events and he could see that Frank had paled visible by his speech. Julian cursed himself silently. It was not a good start to intimidate the young cop. "Frank, I --"

"So that is the real reason for my being here? Well, never mind, that at least answered one of my questions." Even someone without Julian's senses could feel the hurt that suddenly had gotten hold onto the other man.

Julian felt anger rising. "Frank, I think this is enough now! Of course my promise is one of the reasons for your being here. If it wouldn't have been for Alexandra, you wouldn't have survived one day after her death. But that was in the beginning. In contrary to what you may believe, I'm not the unemotional monster you seem to see me as. I like you and that is the main reason for me helping you now." Silence settled between them when Julian stopped and took a sip from his glass. The rage had left him as soon as it had welled up, left only an exhausting emptiness. He should have known that their relationship wouldn't get any easier with Frank's embrace. In the contrary, how it seems.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

"You did. We both know it."

"No, yes ... But I didn't want to hurt you. I didn't know that you feel this way. But I never thought you emotionless." A defense that brought a brief smile to Julian's face. "What will become of me when she is dead?" Frank changed the subject.

"That we will have to decide. You're Brujah which means that Cameron can lay claim on you."

"I don't like him and I certainly don't like to be part of his Clan."

"I know, Frank," Julian tried to soothe the now really distressed Kindred. "But since you've been made without my consent by someone who seems to have lost control over the beast, it is on me to decide what will happen to you. It is part of our Tradition."

Suspicious, Frank watched him. "Means?"

"That I can lay claim on you too."

The confusion was evident in the young Kindred. "And to which Clan would I belong to then?"

"You would still be a Brujah, but also a part of me."

"Does it mean I'll become like Eddie or Cameron in time?"

"The Brujah blood will change you, but I don't really know how much."

Shocked, Frank looked at him. "But I don't want to be like them. I've seen what they are capable of."

So, now was the time to make the decision. "Not all of them are alike, Frank. Still, I can't see you as a Brujah either. There is one other possibility. It is a drastic measure and you've to decide if you are willing to go the step with me."



Chapter 5

Thursday, 5 th December

Obviously disgusted, Frank watched the blood - and lifeless body of the woman who had brought the horror of this new existence upon him before he nodded once towards the Prince.

"Do you know her?" Julian's voice was cold when he addressed the Brujah Primogen to his right.

"No. She is one of our bloodline but I've never seen her before." An answer Julian accepted with a nod. He hadn't really expected something different. While he hated Cameron, maybe even more than Eddie, he was sure that the Brujah wouldn't be so stupid to go against his orders so soon after Archon's dead. He might be even more dangerous than Eddie in his hunger for power, but certainly he was not suicidal.

"And since we cleared up everything, I see no reason for keeping Frank from his Clan. So you won't mind if I take him with me now."

"I'll go nowhere with you!" Julian heard the desperate rage in the neonate's voice. The tension in every fibre of his body was evident when he laid a hand onto Frank's shoulder.

"You've no right to decide about him, Cameron," Cash said, a smug grin on his face. "You're not the one who embraced him. He has been made against the Prince's wishes, even without his knowledge. And since his Sire is dead, it is on Julian to decide what happens to him."

"What use has the Ventrue Prince for a Brujah?" The anger was unmistakable in Cameron's voice. "You cannot keep him away from me or his Clan. In short the call of his blood, the call of his legacy, will become stronger, too strong for him to resist it any longer and then he will come to us anyway. So why not spare us all the trouble and simple let me take him with me?"

"Never!" Frank growled at the Primogen. Julian could sense that the young Brujah was close to cracking, to allow the beast on the surface. "I'd rather die."

Stunned, obviously for the moment perplex by the outburst, Cameron looked at Frank before he burst out into loud, roaring laughter. "You're already dead, Childe. Just in case you forgot it."

This did it for Frank. Eyes gleaming silver, he broke lose of Julian's clasp and jumped onto the other Brujah, attacked him with claws and fangs. Yet not even the moment of surprise that he had on his side, was enough to overpower the older Kindred and he found himself pinned to the floor soon. When Julian saw that Cameron's attempts to calm down the younger Kindred had failed, he went between them, pushed Cameron aside and restrained the delirious Brujah. "Frank, you need to calm down now. You can control it, I know it," he said, all the time holding eye contact with the young man. His words, although spoke softly, obviously reached Frank. His eye-colour returned to normal and he stopped fighting entirely. A pleading gaze met Julian's. "Trust me, Frank. You don't have to go with him if you don't want to." The words were spoken low so that nobody
else in the room could have understood them. The young Brujah nodded weakly. When the Prince could be sure that Frank had regained control again, he loosened his hold and helped him to his feet. Heavily breathing, Frank leaned against him.

"Well, it seems obvious that Frank doesn't want to go with you, Cameron. And since it is on me to decide about his future, I lay claim on him myself. But I value the opinion of the Conclave, so it should be on you to vote if you agree with my decision or not. If you should be against me and my claim, we will find another way. If you should agree, Frank will be bound to me by blood. " Stunned silence was the first reaction when Julian looked around. Daedulus eyes reflected approval when the first shock had faded, reassured Julian that he had done the right thing.

"If Frank knows what it means, and if he is comfortable with it, I agree."

"Since it is obvious that Frank has really no interest of joining his Clan and since Cameron is not his Sire, I vote for Julian."

Julian could hardly suppress the relieved sight, that threatened to escape him when not only Sonny gave his approval, but also Cash. He turned his attention to Lillie. "So do I. I think it is for the best."

"Daedulus?" When the Nosferatu Primogen nodded, Julian turned his attention more for courtesy and etiquette than for anything else towards the Brujah Primogen. It didn't matter anymore what Cameron would say; the majority had voted for him and Frank and nothing he could say would change the outcome.

Angry and defeated, Cameron glared at him and the fledging. "You have won, Julian. Keep him. He wouldn't fit in with us anyway."

A small smile played around his lips when Julian turned his attention to the neonate who stood beside him. Frank's relief was plain in his gaze. "Then so it shall be. When the blood bound is forged, you will belong to me. You'll have no obligation but to me, your Prince. Your loyalty will belong to me while I promise you the love and protection of me and my Clan. You'll live as one of my own Childer with all privileges and duties that comes with my bloodline - if you want it."

A smile spread over the youngsters features by the formal words that would initiate his new life; a smile that warmed the Prince all over. "Yeah, I will." And with the words spoken, Frank, without having been told to do so, went the next step of their commitment, took the hand of the Prince and kissed the ring.

Julian frowned when he saw Frank swallowing nervously. "Frank? Are you fine?"

"Yes. At least I think so." The weak smile and the slightly trembling voice did nothing to ease Julian's concern. Had Frank had second thoughts about their next steps? He hoped not.

"What is it Frank?" he demanded, not willing to let the subject drop so easily. If something was wrong, he needed to know it before they would start.

"It's just Cameron. He's giving me the creeps."

"Understandable," Julian said softly while approaching the younger Kindred. "But don't worry about him anymore. He won't touch you. You're safe."

Frank nodded, but turned his back to Julian and made his way to the wide window, an action the Prince didn't like. What was going on in Frank's mind? Was he maybe searching for a way out? *That* was a thought he didn't want to ponder on more. Slowly, Julian followed the young Brujah who looked out of the window into the night. Carefully, not willing to startle Frank, he laid a hand on the other man's shoulder. "There is more, isn't it?"

"Will I become like her? A mindless monster only on the search for the next kill, for more blood?" Julian had to suppress a sigh of relieve. His mood lightened immediately when the words were spoken.

"Only if you allow the beast to rule you. You have to master the hunger, to control it. It is one of the first and most important lessons you have to learn."

Frank's eyes were clouded with despair when he finally faced him. "You know Julian, whenever I think I can deal with what has become of me, I discover something new. And that's rarely something good. I really don't know how I will ever be able to deal with all this. My life has become something out of the twilight zone. Why me?"

Julian nodded. He could see Frank's problem. And it was nothing unknown to him. He couldn't recall anymore how often he had asked himself the same question after his embrace. "Frank, I don't know her reason, but I can see why her attraction to you was stronger than her urge to kill you. You have a special inner strength that most people lack. Despite your losses, you have a real desire to live and to make the most of your life. It is an inner strength that will not only allow you to survive for centuries, but to enjoy the time. And believe me, there is a huge difference between these two possibilities. I have met a few of my kind over the years who did nothing more but exist. They didn't have the strength, nor the will to do more. But you will if you are able, and willing, to overcome the horror of the violence that has been done to you. It is on you, Frank, to decide if you still
want to cling on what your life has been, or if you are willing to see the possibilities and the beauty our world offers. And it is there, just don't close your eyes for them." Julian stopped, not knowing what else to say that could ease the pain of the biggest lose the young cop has experienced; the loss of his mortality.

Obviously processing what he had just heard, Frank watched him thoughtfully before he finally nodded. "Well, since I don't seem to have any other choice, I might as well try to enjoy it. But I need help with it. I wouldn't exactly call my first glimpses into your - our - world fun during the last weeks. But then again, I'm almost sure you didn't relate to street wars, out of control Kindreds and such stuff?"

"No, that is unluckily sometimes part of our life, but not always. Believe me, there is much more. And we will all be here to show it to you."

"I will count on you to do that."

An involuntary smile escaped Julian by Frank's words and the almost playful glisten in his eyes. Yes, he would manage it. He would get over the shock of his embrace - almost did already - and would not only adjust to his new life but also be also comfortable in it. Maybe Lillie had been right, maybe he would even have come to them on his own given enough time. "Any time, Frank. Now, shall we continue?"

The expression of the young cop became serious. "Yes. But ... You told me that we will exchange blood, will it be as painful as ... as my embrace?"

"No, since your change is almost completed. Normally it wouldn't even be necessary that we exchange blood, but merely for you to drink my blood three times subsequently. But I prefer the blood exchange, for I believe you will be more comfortable with it. Besides, this way I can remove as much of the blood in you as possible and replace it with my blood."

The eyes of the other Kindred watched him, dubiously. "Will it help to overcome the Brujah blood and all what comes with it?"

"I cannot say for sure. I have never done it before. You are the first I will blood bind to me."

A statement that obviously surprised Frank. "Oh, so you mean it will be a premiere for both of us?" The Prince, feeling that the young Brujah wasn't
finished yet, only answered with a brief nod. "Julian, you know that I trust you. And not first since you picked me up after my embrace, but already before. I just needed some time after ... you know. I wanted to thank you for what you did for me during these last days. I don't know if I would have gotten over it without your help, without you at my side. I know that I have caused you more than enough problems, but I really believed that you were the one responsible for the events. I didn't know about Alexandra trading her life for mine or that we fought on the same side. Not in the beginning. And I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused you. For my stubbornness and not seeing what was right in front of my eyes, for me being a pain in your neck. Well, and yes, I'm glad that you were the one who fetched me and that you will be the one now. Well, and now that I got this out of my system we can go on if you like." Julian had to swallow at Frank's statement, by the admission into his feelings which most certainly weren't easy for the younger Kindred.

The Prince's emotion were in turmoil and he asked himself once more how Frank managed to awake such a strange mix of emotions in him. The young cop seemed to know exactly which buttons to push to bring the worst and the best out of him; something he had realized already when they had first met. Of all the persons who had crossed his path, who had been more or less a part of his life, there had been only one other person who had been able to do the same. Ironically, it was the woman they both had loved, above which they had got to know each other and who had chosen death to protect them both. Alexandra. It almost seemed as if they were about to come full circle, as if it wasn't barely coincidence that brought them together, but fate.

"Julian?" The word cut into his musings. For a moment confused, Julian shook his head to put aside his thoughts and to concentrate onto the matters at hand. "Everything all right?"

"Yes, just a few memories. Something you will experience for yourself in time."

Skeptically, Frank watched him. "You've really faith in me and my ability to cope with this life."

"Of course, otherwise I would not say so." And with these words he reached out and slipped an arm around the other man's shoulder, while with the other hand starting to undoing the top buttons of Frank's - no, his - shirt. Then, drawing him closer until he hold the younger Kindred into an protective and possessive embrace, he asked whispering, "Are you ready?"

"As ready as if I can be for something I don't know how it will really turn out, I guess."

"I will not hurt you, I promised you this."

"I know." Simple words, but for Julian they were much more than that. For him they were another proof that they had really reached a new stage in a relationship that from the very first beginning was everything but easy. From hate to carefully living beside each other. From acceptance to mutual respect, and even to liking. It could only get better. Even while he was pondering, he felt his fangs emerging and turned his attention to the inviting pulsating vein in front of him, lapped at it until it stood out clearly, before he carefully sunk his fangs in the flesh, determined to make the experience as enjoyable as possible for the younger Kindred. His effort was rewarded with a soft sigh of pleasure.

Slowly, Julian drunk the blood of the younger cop. Drop for drop he not only absorbed the life essence but with it also Frank's whole being. The joy of a happy child, his first falling in love, his first day as a police officer, the happiness when he met his wife, the grief when he lost her, his strong feelings for Alexandra, his hate and desperation after her death, his being torn apart between two worlds and finally the violence of his embrace and it's aftermath. Frank's deep despair by the realization of what he had become, blazing pain, confusion and fear. And, buried within the most different emotions, a strong attraction to a world he was supposed to hate and fear. But the surprise that welled up in Julian by this discovery was nothing in comparison to his shock, by what he found out next. Deeply hidden, as if the former mortal had tried to hide it in the deepest corner of his mind, were even more mixed up emotions; Frank's personal feelings towards the Prince himself. Feelings, that now that they had been laid bare were so strong that Julian, in shock, withdraw his fangs none too gentle, causing Frank to cry out in surprise by the sudden pain. Too mixed up by the flood of emotions which he had just absorbed as that he could have thought rationally, Julian pushed the other man roughly aside. Frank, obviously too weak by the blood loss, wasn't able to keep balance and stumbled backwards until he reached the wall that steadied him again.

Jumbled, the younger Kindred watched him, obviously not knowing how to interpret Julian's sudden change of mood. And how could he? It was not as if the youngster could read his mind. A wave of guilt washed over the Prince when he saw the result of his own astonishment. "What was that about?" The shaking voice reflected the confusion he could see in Frank's eyes.

Julian shook his head. "Nothing. I'm sorry Frank. You just never cease to amaze me." A sigh escaped him when he saw unspoken questions in the other's gaze. Questions that demanded answers he couldn't give. How could he voice something he didn't understand himself? How to explain his reaction to emotions Frank probably wasn't even aware of? Emotions that were reflecting his own and which Julian attracted to the younger Kindred like a magnet. No, there were no words to explain what he was feeling, what Frank aroused in him. And certainly it wouldn't be a very good idea to tell the young Brujah outright what it was he really wanted -- him.

In wonder, he approached the former mortal. Frank however, arms folded as if that would save him from Julian's temper, made no move towards him but watched him alarmed. "Frank, you need blood. Let us finish what we have started, yes? And afterwards we will talk." With these words, he drew his thumbnail across his wrist and let the blood spill. Satisfied, he observed how the tension in Frank was replaced by hunger when he reached him. Without hesitation Frank pressed his mouth against the offered wound and began to drink. Julian closed his eyes when he felt the ecstasy of the flow of his life-force into another. He let the fledging drink for some time, not hiding or veiling anything, but allowing the young Brujah full access to his own self. An action so Julian hoped, that would clear up every misunderstanding between them and maybe make further conversations regarding their situation unnecessary.



Chapter 6

Almost shocked, Frank let go of Julian's arm when he felt a light connection towards the other man. It was something he had never experienced before. Through a weak, yet already very vivid link, he could feel Julian in him, around him, simply everywhere. Although it wasn't a bad feeling, it was bewildering to feel the powerful aura of the Prince so completely, so openly. It was almost as if he wasn't alone anymore in himself. Confused, he meet the eyes of the Ventrue, when Julian lifted his head with one hand until they were eye to eye.

"That is ... odd. I can feel you ... everywhere," he tried to explain his feelings.

"That is the beginning of our bound, Frank," he heard the Prince explaining. "It will get stronger with every time you drink from me. See it as a taste of what will come." Frank heard the slightly teasing undertone in Julian's voice but couldn't place it. There were too many things in his mind as that he could analyze the meanings of the last words. There had been something in the other's blood, he couldn't identify, didn't even know if he wanted to. What if he had read it wrong? Julian couldn't be serious, not after his earlier reaction when he had almost drained him. The too compelling presence of the other Kindred was confusing Frank and he found it impossible to think clearly. "Frank?"

"There was ... something in your blood," Frank stopped helplessly, not finding the words to describe what he had felt. Maybe not even wanting to for he was too afraid that he had misinterpreted it. No longer able to hold the intense gaze of the other Kindred, he lowered his head and broke the eye contact. And suddenly the closeness wasn't comfortable anymore, but threatening. Frank needed more space to get some order in the turmoil of his thoughts and emotions. He tried to break free, to follow his, for the moment, primary urge to escape the powerful aura and the overwhelming, almost frightening feelings Julian arouse within him by his presence. In panic, he pushed the older Kindred aside and made a jump for the door. He never got that far. Before he could even reach it, the Prince was at his side and prevented any further escape by pulling Frank's shivering body into an embrace.

For a moment, Frank fought against the comfort the other man promised, but when Julian didn't made a move to let go of him, merely stroked his back and murmured soft words which meanings Frank couldn't grasp in his self-inflicted distress, he gave in. Relaxing against the other man's body, he allowed himself the luxury of being held and kept safe by the man who had slipped into his emotions without Frank having a chance to protect himself against it. And suddenly the wall he had kept around his inner self broke together and he let his emotions flow freely through their shared bound, not caring anymore what Julian might think of them and him.

Afterwards he couldn't say how long they had stood there, locked in an embrace, the flow of emotions their only communication before Frank finally felt himself ready enough again, to face the older Kindred. Slowly, he lifted his head from Julian's shoulder to meet his eyes. And what he saw there let his doubts and fear melt away like ice in the sun. The dark and normally reserved eyes were filled with warmth and an emotion, he hadn't dared to hope to see dedicated to him. In amazement, he watched the other Kindred's face come closer until he felt soft lips meeting his own. First hesitantly, then, when passion slowly took over the rational part of his mind that tried to convince him that he must be dreaming, fervently, he returned the first open sign of true affection between them. The feelings Julian had aroused in him were crushing and suppressed all rational thoughts Frank may have had a moment earlier. His whole being was dedicated by his need for the other Kindred. A need for closeness, for being kept safe, for being loved. A soft groan escaped him when their kiss deepened and their tongues meet. He pressed himself against the other's body and let his hands wander above Julian's back, unwilling to ever let go again. When he felt himself sway, he couldn't have cared less. All that he wanted and needed was right in front of him. But Julian obviously disagreed and carefully withdraw, causing Frank to growl in protest by the sudden
loss. "Slowly, Frank. You are weak and you need more blood. I took more from you then you from me. Let us go the next step; let us strengthen our bound and I promise you it will be even better afterwards. Besides, we could take this somewhere more comfortable, don't you agree?"

"Just don't leave me."

"Not now and not ever if I can prevent it. We are bound by blood, Frank. Never forget it. You are mine!"

A shudder escaped the young Brujah by these possessive words and he felt himself strangely comforted by them. Maybe it was really something to hold on in a world that had gotten out of his control.

With love in his eyes, Julian looked down at the sleeping Kindred on the bed before he stood up and poured himself a drink to replace the blood he had given to Frank. It had been far more than he had taken from the young cop and more than was necessary to forge a blood bound. But it was worth it. The result was amazing. The link between them was wide open and vibrated with a life on its own. It was nearly as intense as the one between him and Sonny and would only get stronger with time. Already the way to it had been astounding in itself. The trust with which the young Brujah had laid his life in Julian's hands, the revelation of repressed feelings, the mutual attraction followed by hours of exploring each others body and mind. Yes, it had been worth it, definitely.

In the last days, since Frank's embrace, he had learned more about the former mortal than during the last months. And what he had discovered he liked very much, maybe more than what would be good for him. Now he was even more determined to keep Frank at his side, to protect him for the dangers of their world with which he would be confronted one day. But how long would it work? How long would it take before the Brujah blood would wake Frank's true heritage and cause him to revolt against the things Julian had to offer, just because he was the Prince and presented with that everything the Brujah disliked? Or would the passionate side of the Brujah do the magic and keep Frank where he was safe and loved? Maybe the Ventrue blood would be strong enough to protect the fledging from the call of his own blood? A sigh escaped the Prince. So many open
questions and no answers. Only time would tell. One thing from which he had enough in this world without end.

"Julian?" the sleepy voice saved him from even more gloomy thoughts. There would be time enough later to worry about the future. For now there were other, more important things at hand; like the fledging on his bed who called to him through their bound and who had managed to engage him by his simple presence. And no different blood line could separate them. At least for the moment Frank was here at his side, was his.


-- The End --