Title: JLA:Reflections

Author: Michele Savage (Bizarra) 1995

Bizarra@infinet.com

Fandom: DC Comics; Justice League; World's Finest

Ratings: PG13 for violence

Disclaimer: Characters are owned by DC comics, except for CJ Kent, he's mine. Story is also mine. Written in 1995, so I'm sure things have changed by now, continuity-wise with the JLA

Summary: Lois invites the Justice League and especially Batman to comfort a despondant Clark. Set in the character's senior years.

Warnings: Well, I hate to give away major plot points. It detracts from the emotional pull of the story. and quite frankly is a major spoiler.

I wrote this story around 95. It's as finished as it will ever be. And reads as a finished story... I'm offering it up, because I feel it's one of the best damned pieces of writing I've ever done and I want other folks to read it. PLEASE send me feedback and let me know what you thought. :-)



JLA: Reflections
by Michele Savage


Invitations
Smallville, Kansas

Lois Lane-Kent walked the mile to the mailbox, and posted the letters she'd so carefully written. She paused at the end of the long driveway and looked around. It didn't seem like it had been nearly ten years since she and Clark had picked up their roots and moved to Smallville to work the abandoned Kent Farm. Jonathon and Martha Kent passed away within months of each other nearly fifteen years before. They had left the farm and all of it's holdings to she and Clark, knowing that they'd eventually settle here.

And settle they had; nearly ten years have gone by since she'd last reported for the Daily Planet. Ten years since Superman had made an appearance. She thought about these last years, how miserable Clark was since he'd retired Superman, how he had barely spoken to their only son,
Kal-el Clark Jerome Kent Jr.

She hoped that seeing the founding members of the Justice League would snap Clark out of the ten year depression he'd been in.

*

Gateway City

Diana Prince yawned as she opened her front door to pick up the morning paper and her mail. She noticed an envelope from Kansas. She walked back into her house and threw the paper on the sofa.

She re-wrapped her robe as she sat and looked at the letter. She smiled when she saw the postmark. She opened the envelope and read.


Diana,
I know it has been a long time since you have heard from us.We are doing well. Cj has grown into a wonderful young man.Just like his father was at that age. Time sure does fly! Clark has changed a lot in the past several years. I don't know how much you know, or what he told you on your last visit, but since Cj was shot by the Joker, Clark has withdrawn from everyone
he cares about. Most especially Cj, and I don't know who that hurts the most, Cj or myself. Frankly, I can't deal with it anymore.
I'm planning a reunion of the Justice League members; hopefully seeing friends will release Clark from the shell he's trapped himself in. I would be thrilled if you could make it. It will be next
month on the eighteenth.
Take care and please let me know if you'll be here. I would love to see you.
Lois

Diana's smile faded as she read. She'd known that Clark was despondent over the shooting, but had no idea it had gotten that bad. She grabbed a pen and paper and wrote her RSVP. She would definately be there, if only to knock Clark back into his senses.

*

Upper Atlantis

The opulence of the throne room in the royal palace was betrayed by the throne's occupants. King Arthur and his Queen Dolphin looked more citizen than royal.

Dolphin read the letter she'd been given by her husband, King Arthur of Atlantis. "We are going, aren't we Orin?" she asked

"I haven't seen any of the old Leaguers in years." He gruffed

"And that means?"

"Why would they want to see a grouchy old fool like me?"

Dolphin smiled and rested her hand on her husband's arm.. "Because 'old fool', they are friends of yours. Think of all the adventures you had together. I would think you'd want to get together with them and reminesce."

"Maybe. But from the letter, I don't think that's part of the plan." Arthur sat back, disgusted.

"That damn fool Kent. Doesn't he see what he's doing to his family? His wife?" He sat up again, patting Dolphin's hand. "You know there are three women in this world I respect more than anything. You, Diana and Lois Lane."

"I'm looking forward to meeting her." Dolphin said.

"I think you would like her. She's a lot like you. Stubborn as hell."

Dolphin laughed and playfully smacked Arthur's arm. "Why don't you write back and tell Lois that we'll be there."

*

Reunions

Chapter 1

The sun was just setting as Bruce Wayne pulled into the gravel driveway that led to the Kent Farm. As he was stepping out of the car he saw a figure arc out of the sky toward the house. Sighing, he removed his suitcase from the trunk.

He walked toward the house as the person he'd just seen over the house came barreling out the front door.

"Hey Mr Wayne, how's it going?" Clark Kent Jr addressed the older gentleman as he jogged past.

"Fairly well, Cj." Bruce turned as the young man jumped into his convertible Corvett. "Are your parents home?"

"Oh, yeah. Dad's out plowing the field, and Mom's in the kitchen. You can go on in." Cj started his car as he spoke.

"Thanks." Bruce nodded and waved as Cj backed out of the drive. *So much like his father.* Bruce thought as he walked into the house. *So many years ago*

Bruce was greeted by two barking dogs. He waded through their excited bodies and hung his coat on the rack in the foyer.

"Clark, is that you?" A female voice called from the kitchen.

"No Lois, it's me. Cj let me in." He answered, nudging the dogs out of his way as he walked to the kitchen.

"Oh Bruce, you're early! I'm sorry. I was hoping to have some appetizers ready. Clark's out plowing the field. It won't take him long.

You know him!" Lois flurried out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on the apron she wore.

Would you like something to drink?"

"I'll just take a big glass of ice water, calm my nerves." The grey haired man answered with a sparkle in his eye. "The turbulence was terrible on that plane. The older I get the less I like to fly." Bruce smiled and followed Lois into the expansive kitchen.

Lois laughed "I know what you mean. Clark has the same problem."

At Bruce's odd look she smiled. "I know. Ironic isn't it. But he never did like planes. Always complained that he could fly faster himself. But try explaining that one to the expense department."

Bruce laughed as Lois led him to the kitchen table and gave him the glass of water. As he sat, he took in Lois' appearance. Her hair was nearly grey, and laugh lines were evident in her face. She'd had a very happy life. Bruce felt a twinge of jealousy, but quelled it. Sure he could have built a relationship with someone, but he'd always been too busy for any kind of relationship. The closest he'd come was . . .but no he wasn't going to dwell on the past. Not today.

Lois sat and gazed out the picture window, toward the field, where the dust cloud made it obvious someone was plowing. She smiled slightly.

"Does he know I'm here?" Bruce asked.

"Well, not exactly." She answered with a shrug.

"He's not going to be happy"

"I know. He'll get over it."

"Lois . . .

"Bruce, how long has it been?"

Bruce stood abruptly and started for the door. Lois flew out of her chair and planted herself in his way.

"No! This ends now." She stated firmly.

Bruce sighed, knowing he'd been beat. He sat hard in the chair he'd just vacated and huffed loudly. Lois sat again, opposite him.

"Bruce, you were friends once."

"I'd call it uneasy allies. He never liked the way Batman handled things." Bruce picked up the half full glass of water, swirling the liquid around the edges. "Superman was always too easy on the criminal element.

Lois sat a little straighter. He could tell he'd ruffled a feather or two.

She took a deep breath and spoke. "You have no idea what we've lived through. You're human, you've just dealt with the likes of petty thieves and homicidal maniacs. and the odd alien here and there."

She played the edges of her apron through her fingers as she spoke, the tired emotion of years in her voice. "I've been -married- to Superman for twenty-five years, and I've seen my husband live through nuclear bomb blasts, watched him be beaten by creatures I should never have seen, waited patiently for weeks on end never knowing if I'd ever see him again, because he was off saving another world, or being accused of killing it." She stood and walked to the kitchen window, her eyes never leaving the dust cloud in the field.

Lois turned and faced Bruce again, "The hardest thing I've ever had to live through was holding Clark's broken body in my arms, hearing him take what I thought was his last breath."

Bruce immediately thought of Jason. "You still hear that sound, don't you."

She nodded. "Every night"

*

"We had the same job, we just did it differently." A voice spoke from the doorway.

Lois jumped slightly at the new voice in the conversation and found herself looking into her husband's eyes. "Clark. I didn't hear you come in."

"So I see." Clark Kent answered as he entered the kitchen and retrieved a glass of water. "Are you lost, Batman?"

"Clark!" Lois sharply scolded.

"Nice to see you too, Kent. It's been, what? Almost ten years?" Bruce snapped back..

"Look, I'll have none of that in my kitchen!" Lois admonished both men.

"Fine." Clark slammed the glass onto the counter top. "I have a shower to take anyway." He left the kitchen, with a final glare at Lois, who responded with a similar look..

"Some reunion." Bruce grumped as took the last swig of his water.



Chapter 2

Lois leaned against the bathroom door as Clark finished shaving. "You going to speak to me?"

Clark ignored her comment and set down the old piece of mirror he used to shave.He picked up the after shave, glancing at his wife's determined stance through the mirror. He smiled inwardly at the annoyed look on her face.

"Well?" She asked again.

Silence.

"Ok." Lois said flatly and turned into the bedroom. She needlessly straightened the sheets on the already made bed. She knew he was baiting her. They'd played this game for years. Waiting to see who's stubbornness would give first. She sat on the end of the bed and waited, watching the
door of the bathroom.

Clark stepped out of the bathroom and met her calm stare. He huffed and stomped to the closet, grabbing the first article of clothing he touched. Blindly he started to put it on, only to find out it was one of Lois' dresses. Angrily he wadded it up and tossed it to the floor. He grabbed at the clothes in the closet again. This time he found a shirt of his. Grabbing the matching pants he dressed in a blur.

Lois watched, amused. She knew full well he was trying his damndest not to speak to her and failing miserably. She watched him dress, then rush out of the bedroom. A few seconds later he stormed back into the room.

"Why?" He broke the silence.

Lois stared at him a little longer before answering. "Because I'm sick of the tension that the mention of Bruce Wayne brings on. I'm sick of you glowering around the house everytime Batman is mentioned. He's Cj's godfather, for christ's sake Clark, I want this rift between the two of you mended."

Clark angrily pointed at Lois, "Don't bring Cj into this!"

Lois stood and met her husband's angry glare. "That's what this is about!" she snapped and stormed out of the bedroom.

*

She met Bruce at the bottom of the stairs. "I'm sorry. Maybe this was a bad idea."

"Lois, I'm here now. We may as well settle this once and for all."

He answered calmly. "Where am I sleeping?"

"Oh!" Lois clasped her hand over her mouth. "I'm sorry! Grab your suitcase, and follow me."

Bruce went to the living room and picked up his case and walked back to the staircase. He followed Lois to the guest bedroom.

"Here, I've got clean sheets on the bed and everything is ready.

Just make yourself at home." She ushered him into the room and explained.

"Thanks."

Lois started out of the room, then turned, "Oh, Bruce, just so you know, I forgave you a long time ago."

Bruce acknowledged her admission and she left the room. After she left him to his privacy, he sat on the bed and wondered just why he -did- accept Lois' invitation. A picture on the dresser caught his attention. He stood and walked over to get a closer look. The picture held a smiling
Clark, Lois, Cj and himself. He smiled in remembrance and picked the photo up. *The last time we spoke.* He broke himself of the memory, sat the picture back down and left the room. And met Clark in the hallway.



Chapter 3

"Clark"

"Bruce."

The two men faced off in the hallway. Each wanted to say something, neither said it.

Lois called from the dining room that dinner was ready. Clark moved aside for Bruce and gestured for him to go first. Bruce did the same simultaneously. Lois walked to bottom of the stairs and saw their standoff.

She put her hands to her hips, "Look, I don't care which of you two gets down here first. Just remember you'll both be eating the same cold dinner." She angrily stepped to the dining room.

Lois was already eating when the two finally joined her at the table.

"Are we going to have a civil meal?" She asked.

"Civilly quiet." Clark grunted.

Lois slammed her napkin down and grabbed her plate and silverware.

She pushed her chair out and stood.

"Where're you going?" Clark looked up.

"I'm going to the kitchen to eat where it's -peacefully- quiet."

She snapped and left the room.

Bruce smiled slightly, "I see Lois hasn't changed." He said as he filled his plate.

Clark grunted an acknowledgement as he scooped a spoonfull of corn to his mouth, lifting his eyes to glare at the man sitting on the opposite side of the table.

"I see you have." Bruce observed.

"Meaning?" Clark asked annoyedly, setting down his spoon.

Bruce set his utensils down and placed his hands under his chin, "Meaning, the Clark Kent I knew was a hell of a lot easier to talk to."

Clark stared at Bruce for several moments, then stated evenly, "The Clark Kent you knew ceased to exist the day you nearly killed my son."

"Cj knew what he was getting into . . ."

"Dammit Bruce, you took advantage of his invulnerability. You used him as a shield!"

Bruce stood to his full height as pointed down to the still sitting Clark. "I most certainly did not! Cj lunged in front of me before I had a chance to react." Bruce added quietly, "That damn Kryptonian speed."

"If you want my forgiveness you'll have to do better than that."

With that, Clark was out of the house and into the sky like a blur.Bruce sat dejectedly in his chair. He heard a slight sob over his shoulders. He turned to see Lois standing in the doorway of the kitchen.

"He'll never listen to the truth. Cj saved my life that day. I wish he could understand that." Bruce spoke softly.

"I think, Bruce, that Clark is jealous. He so wanted Cj to inherit the Superman mantle. Instead he chose to work with you. He feels like you stole his son from him."

"Lois, when Cj came to me with the idea of taking Tim's place, I warned him his father wouldn't understand." Bruce rubbed his eyes, "I'm getting so tired of fighting."

"Bruce I promise, when Clark comes home, I'll talk to him. Make him see that he's using the accident as a shield from the real reason he's angry with you. " Lois put her hand on Bruce's shoulder in a reassuring pat.

"Thank you Lois. You've been a good friend, you both have. I can't tell you how much I've missed that."

Bruce stood and hugged Lois. "I think I'll turn in now for the night." He walked to the stairs. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight Bruce." Lois said as she watched him ascend the stairs.

Taking a deep breath, she walked into the living room to wait for her husband to return home.



Chapter 4

Lois sat on the couch and picked up the red material of the cape she was hemming. A tear formed unbidden as she pondered the future of the hero who's costume lay unfinished in her sewing basket. *Cj, why must you be so . . . so . . . so much like your father.* she finished the thought with a short sob-like laugh.

She lost herself in thought as she sewed. Remembering the first time she saw Clark. The first time she saw Superman. He'd impressed the hell out of her. She smiled at the memory. The thought of never seeing Superman fly overhead pained her heart more than she let on. She jumped as she pricked her finger. "Ow!" Lois stuck her finger in her mouth to stop the bleeding.

The front door eased open silently and Clark crept into the foyer.

Lois put the sewing on her lap and softly called his name. He entered the living room, almost sheepishly. "Hi hon."

Lois patted the couch next to her, gesturing for him to sit. He sat and draped his arm over her shoulders, cradling her against his body.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you Bruce was going to be here." She told him, leaning her head against his chest. "I'm just tired of this, Clark. I want it settled once and for all."

"It won't be completely settled until Bruce realizes . . ."

"Until Bruce realizes?" Lois sat and cut him off mid- sentance..

"Clark, -you- need to realize why you are really angry and who it is you're angry with. It's not Bruce."

"Honey, I can't believe you're on his side!" Clark crossed his arms, suddenly defensive.

"Clark, I'm on no one's side but my own. I just want this old argument the hell over with. It has been ten years. I've tolerated ten years of you moping about everytime Bruce Wayne or Batman is mentioned."

Lois stood, suddenly all the anger she'd built up over the years was poured out. She faced her husband and let him have her verbal assault. "And most of all Clark Kent, I'm angry with you because for ten years you have barely spoken to the only child we have. The child, if you remember correctly, that we never thought we'd be able to have!" She blinked away tears that
she'd tried to hide. "I will no longer tolerate that."

Clark stared up at his wife, and for the first time noticed the years that marked her face. Years that no doubt he'd helped put there."Dammit Lois, I'm sorry. I just can't . . ."

Lois sat again next to him, "Clark, you know the reason you're angry is that you're hurt. You feel that your son chose Bruce to succeed rather than you. That's not what happened." Lois caressed Clark's face as the weariness of the fighting began to work it's way through him. "Cj
became Robin. Not Batman. He wanted to be ready. But you took it wrong, and in the process lost ten years of your son's life."

"How was I supposed to take it?" He asked softly.

Lois took his hands into hers, "You were supposed to be proud that your son was willing to carry on in your name. You should have been glad he was getting the training . . "

He stared at his wife, incredulous, "Training!? I couldn't train Cj myself? He's -my- son."

"I think he wanted 'on the job' training. Batman works with a partner, you don't."

Frustrated, Clark stood abruptly and began pacing. "I would have made that exception, you know that."

Lois stood and put her hand on Clark's arm, stilling him. "I know that, but did Cj?"

Clark expelled the breath he'd unconciously been holding, and looked at her. Tears fell freely down his cheek. "Damn." He mumbled and collapsed into her open and waiting arms. They both tumbled to the floor, the pent up emotions finally freed. They cried themselves to sleep.



Chapter 5

Bruce found them the next morning huddled arm in arm as they slept peacefully. He covered them up and went into the kitchen to make breakfast.

"Good morning" Lois walked into the kitchen yawning. She stretched her back and commented, "I'm getting too old to sleep on the floor."

Bruce smiled and handed her a glass of orange juice. "Is everything alright?"

Lois took a drink of her juice and looked up. "I think so." She said thoughtfully and nodded as she poured a glass of juice to take to her husband.

Clark was stirring as Lois sat on the sofa and waited till he was fully awake.

"Good morning." She said leaning over to kiss him.

Clark unexpectedly pulled her into his lap, smiling happily. "Good morning to you too, beautiful." He kissed her passionately.

*

Lois laughed as she tried to balance the glass of orange juice she held, "Clark Jerome Kent!" Her eyes sparkled, "You're gonna make me spill your juice, old man."

Clark, balancing his wife across his arms, floated enough to stand. "Darn." He lifted his eyebrows suggestively and started walking toward the stairs.

She lay her head on his shoulders, "I should make you sleep on the floor more often."

*

Bruce walked to the doorway of the kitchen, "Breakfast is a . . .," he stopped as he saw the couple heading for the stairs. " . . .bout ready. It can wait."

Clark closed his eyes, realizing he'd forgotten Bruce was there.

He stopped at the foot of the staircase and looked at his wife. "Forgot" he mouthed to her. She smiled and raised her eyebrows in reply. Clark set her down walked to the kitchen.

Lois followed the men in the kitchen, surprised by the sudden joviality. She filled her plate at the stove, walked to the table and sat.

She watched and waited for the argument to start. When it didn't she smiled a thanks to Clark and ate her meal.

The meal was eaten with polite small talk. Each avoiding the issue at hand. Once the meal was over, Lois shooed Clark and Bruce out of the kitchen so she could clean up. Clark gave Lois a peck on the cheek as they left the room.

*

"Let me go shower and change and I'll meet you on the back porch."

Clark told Bruce, "We need to talk."

Bruce smiled, "Yes. We do."

Clark headed up the stairs and Bruce started out the back door.

Lois stopped him and asked if he wanted something to drink. He nodded and she disapeared into the kitchen. Bruce walked on, to the back door and pushed it open. Clark was sitting on the porch waiting.

"'Bout time." Clark goaded.

Bruce smiled and sat in the chair next to Clark. "Look Clark, I'm . . ." he stopped when the other man lifted his hand. He gave Clark a questioning look. At that time, Lois came out the door with two glasses of lemonade.

"Here you go." She handed a glass to both men and turned to go back into the house. "Now, you two play nice!" she wagged her finger and let the door slam behind her.

Once she was gone, Bruce started again. "I'm sorry Clark. Cj dove in front of that bullet, before I knew he'd moved."

Clark stood and walked off the porch, toward the field. Bruce sighed and followed him.

"How did the Joker know?" Clark asked

"What?" Bruce looked surprised.

"That bullet was laced with Kryptonite."

Bruce stopped walking. "Clark . . . I had no idea. I . . . took it as . . .an attempt on my life."

"I thought you were a detective, Bruce." Clark stopped and turned.

"Didn't you ask yourself why that bullet got through Cj's skin?"

"I guess I was too lost in my own grief . . . a lot of things came flooding back that night. Jason . . . my parents . . . Barbara. I think it was cathartic. Batman died that night. Bruce Wayne was reborn." Bruce started walking again; walking off the sudden sadness he felt. "You know, I
never saw the Joker again."

Clark started walking slightly trailing Bruce. "I know." He said quietly.



Chapter 6

Bruce stopped letting Clark catch up with him. "Clark . . ." he said, not sure he'd heard right.

"We both did things that night that we aren't proud of . . .",

Clark pointed at Bruce, "You don't know how close . . ." he let the sentance drift away.

"Does Lois know."

Clark bent to pull a wheat stalk that had sprouted in the yard. He worried the stalk through his fingers before answering. "No. She just thinks Cj took a bullet that was meant for you."

"Clark, you are forgetting one minor detail. As you so recently pointed out to me, Cj can't -take- a bullet," Bruce snapped, "Your wife is not a stupid woman."

Clark angrily tossed the wheat to the ground, "You think I don't know that! God Bruce, every night I see the looks she gives me. Looks that beg me to tell her. But I . . . I'm afraid to." He finished quietly.

Bruce put a comforting hand on Clark's shoulder, "If you admit it to her, you'll have to admit it to yourself."

"I made a vow to myself never to kill." Clark said looking at his hands. "I did, and I've barely been able to live with myself since."

Clark started walking toward a grove of trees that separated the yard from the freshly plown field. He stopped at the largest tree and stared at the marble headstone shaded within it's boughs. Clark sat on the stump beside the grave.

Bruce ambled up behind.

"The only people that know are my parents." Clark leaned over and brushed a few leaves away from the flowers beneath his mother's name.

"Don't you think it's time to tell Lois."

Clark nodded, "It's been time to tell her for years."

Bruce leaned against the tree. "What about Cj? He should know, too."

"I know." Clark answered absently.

"Bruce," he looked up, "what really happened that night? I want to hear the real version, not Joker's."

Bruce winced slightly at the painful memory that was dredged up from the corner of his mind where he'd hidden it.

"I'll try to remember it the best I can." Bruce said, looking around for someplace to sit. He settled on a stump between the two trees they were under.

"That afternoon . . .

** Batman and Robin huddled over the computer in the large dank cave.

"It's got to be the Joker. No other lunatic would do something like this." Batman said evenly as he looked over the images the computer was showing them.

Bodies were strewn helter skelter over a mall floor, each wearing a dusty rose colored crysanthemum. Robin turned his back to the screen and leaned against the table. He pulled his mask off and rubbed his eyes.

"I don't know how you do this, Mr . . .er Batman." Clark Kent Jr stated, tiredly.

Batman pulled his cowell off and put a comforting hand on the younger man's shoulder. "Cj, it doesn't get easier. You just learn to put it behind you and concentrate on catching the perpetrator."

"You know, Mr Wayne, the more I do this the more respect I get for Dad; for all you guys that do this for a living."

Bruce smiled and patted Cj on the shoulder. "You're going to be a welcome addition to ranks young 'Master Kent'" he finished in an imitation of Alfred, his oft missed mentor and butler.

Cj smiled brightly and with new resolve turned to face the grusome task before him. "You know the Joker. Where could he be?"

"Likely in the old Gothem Nights theme park. That's where he usually hides."

Cj nodded and put his mask back on, "Well what are we waiting for?"

"This seems too easy. He's baiting us, Cj." Bruce warned trying to reign in the younger man's enthusiasm."

Cj pursed his eyebrows in concern, "You want me to fly over and survey the park? I can get high enough so they don't see me."

"It's tempting. But I'm not going to take advantage of your abilities." Bruce disagreed.

"I thought we were partners!" Cj argued, "Let me do what I can do."

Bruce crossed his arms and contemplated the screen. "You're right.

Just stay high enough that you aren't seen and canvas the place with your X-rays."

"You got it!" Cj turned and ran through the entrance of the cave the batmobile usually left from. ***

"He was gone almost an hour." Bruce remembered.

"He was?" Clark asked.

"Yes, I remember thinking at the time, with his speed, he should have been back much sooner."

"Did you ask him where he'd been?"

"I did. Cj said he'd taken his time to get a good look at the theme park."

Clark squinted his eyes, thoughtfully. *Cj's got a side to this story, too* He looked back to Bruce. "Continue, please."

Bruce sat up, "Well, like I said, Cj was gone a while . . ."

*** Cj entered the cave from the same direction he'd left, taking his mask off as he walked. "They're there alright. He's holed up in the fun house."

"You were gone a long time." Bruce stated.

"I did a thorough screening of the area, checking for traps.

Didn't see any." Cj answered. At Bruce's sceptical look, Cj assured "Don't worry they didn't see me."

Bruce turned back toward the computer, but froze when he heard the unmistakeable bone-chilling laughter. He turned quickly in the direction of the sound.

Nothing.

Cj creased his eyebrows questioningly. "What's wrong?"

"Did you hear that?"

"What?"

"The Joker's laugh, you didn't hear it?" Bruce asked urgently.

Cj walked up to Bruce, "You're working too hard, Mr Wayne."

Bruce looked Cj over carefully, hoping nothing was amiss.

The laughter rose through the room again. Bruce looked around, almost frantic.

"Hear that?" he asked Cj again.

Cj was looking around the room as well, obviously hearing the laughter, "Yeah . . . I hear it this time. Seems like it's coming from everywhere."

Bruce looked at Cj, "Are you certain no one saw you, or followed you here?"

"Mr Wayne, my body was on full alert." Cj explained. "I could hear people sneezing in the next county."

Bruce smiled. "Now let's find out where this laughter is coming from."

Cj listened with the full range of his hearing. He heard all the nuances of electronic activity in the Batcave. Finally he honed in on a sound that seemed new. Carefully listening, he walked toward the humm. What he found surprised him; by exploding as soon as he picked it up. Cj jumped,
the stinging metal shards of the small bomb glancing off his body.

"Cj!" Bruce ran to the upper balcony, where Cj had found the bomb.

Cj was sitting with a destroyed tape recorder in his hands.

"Ow." He said with the aplomb of a fifteen year old.

Bruce raised an eyebrow in amusement as he took in Cj's appearance. His clothes were blackened from the soot, but he was otherwise none the worse for wear.

"Well, I found it." Cj deadpanned.

"Are you alright" Bruce asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm gonna need to change costumes." Cj answered.

He stood, "Surprised me."

"Where'd you find that?" Bruce asked, his attention focussing on the task at hand.

"Over here." Cj walked to the corner he's found the rigged tape recorder in. "Mr Wayne . . . does the Joker know who you are?"

Bruce crouched to get a better look at the corner, hoping to find some clue as to who put it there. "I didn't think so. But apparently he does."

*

"Hello, Bats." A cold voice called from below.

Bruce replaced his cowel and stood slowly, hiding Cj, who was quickly putting his mask on. He walked to the railing. "Joker."

"The one and only." Joker replied, then laughed.

Batman reached for the grappling hook on his utility belt He shot it at one of the ceiling beams and swung out over the cave floor. Lowering himself quickly, he landed in front of the Joker in a defensive stance.

Joker started wandering and looking around. "Well, well, well. So this is the famous Batcave." He ran white gloved finger over one of the tables. "A little dusty" he said, rubbing his fingers together.

Batman never lost sight of the man as he looked over the cave.

Robin stood at the railing of the balcony looking down at the scene, ready to pounce if necessary.

"What is it you want, Joker." Batman spoke evenly.

"I just wanted to see what you've done with this old cave." The white faced man turned abruptly to stare at Batman. "Tell me, who's your decorator?"

Batman squinted his eyebrows, "I decorated it myself. What do you want."

"Well, Brucie . . ." Joker paused dramatically, waiting for Batman's response. There was none.

"Oh, don't look so surprised Bats," he grinned wider, giggling, "I wasn't."

Batman took a threatening step closer, "No more games."

"Ok." Joker pulled a white round ball out of his pocket. He tossed it into the air It popped, raining a shower of a powdery substance. "I came here to put you out of my misery." He ducked quickly and started to dodge out of the cave.

"Joker!" Batman yelled. He covered his nose, trying unsuccessfully not to breathe in the powdered drug. He became dizzy and disoriented. The last thing he saw was Robin diving off the balcony toward him. He heard the 'pop' sound of a gunshot, then Joker laughing before he lost complete consciousness.***


Chapter 7

"That's all I remember, Clark." Bruce shrugged. "When I came to, Cj was laying on his stomach. I could see . . . I could see the blood trailing from his side. That's when I called the two of you."

Clark rubbed his eyes and took a deep breath. "Lois and I took him to S.t.a.r.Labs in Metropolis. I have a confidante there. The doctor that delivered Cj. I left Lois there with him and . . . went after the Joker."

Clark sat straighter and kicked at some dirt at his feet. "My original intention was to take him back to Arkham."

Clark suddenly sat straighter, listening. "Lois is calling." He looked down at his lap. "Cj's here."

"I think old friend, now is the time to tell your family the truth." Bruce told Clark in a comforting tone.

Clark nodded, "Cj," he said louder knowing his son could hear him.

"What, Dad." Cj answered

"Have your Mother fix a picnic basket and both of you come out here to your grandparent's tree." Clark hesitated. "I have something to tell you both."

"Ok, I'll tell Mom."

*

"You're a lucky man, Clark." Bruce smiled. "I've always envied your family."

Clark laughed, "When Cj was about seven and learning he could fly, really fast, I probably would've handed him over -gladly- then. The things that kid got into."

Bruce laughed, "I don't doubt you were much different on your parents."

"Well they got lucky. I didn't start gaining my powers until I was in my teens and knew better.

Sort of.

"I don't know Clark, I'm sure your parents had stories of their own."

Clark smiled, "Yeah, I'm sure they did." Clark raised his hands in an 'I surrender" gesture. "But it was an accident and I rebuilt the barn."

*

Lois and Cj walked up and she smiled, "I see you are telling stories of your youth, Barnwrecker."

Lois spread the blanket she'd brought and prepared the picnic while her husband told the story she'd heard countless times over the years. She'd never tire of hearing his stories of growing up on this farm in his own unique way. She finished and sat, handing each of the three men a glass of lemonade.

"What happened?" Bruce asked, now curious.

"I was just learning my strength. Dad and I were talking by the barn and I leaned against it. The wall I was leaning on fell inward, followed by the rest of them, like dominoes. Then the roof fell over the top. It looked like a silent movie, Dad and I watching the barn fall in. Dad calmly looked at me and said without blinking an eye, 'Son, I want that barn rebuilt by Sunday.'"

"And, did you?" Bruce smiled, taking the glass from Lois with a silent nod of thanks.

"I had three days to rebuild that barn. Did it in two." Clark said proudly and took a long drink of the cool lemonade. "I did learn a few lessons. One, how to do precision work at top speed, and two, Dad wanted a new barn."

"Yeah, Grandpa got sneaky when it came to farm work and dad. He hid it in lessons." Cj spoke up.

Clark looked at his son, and smiled and moved to sit beside Lois on the blanket, "Where'd you think I learned that?"

"Good point."

"Dad, " Cj asked hesitantly, not wanting to break the jovial mood, "What did you want to talk about?"

" I think you know, Cj." Clark said seriously.

Cj bowed his head and sat back farther. Lois patted her son on the back, encouragingly. He looked at her and smiled. She couldn't help thinking how much he's like his father was at that age. Only a few years before she'd met him. Lois looked at her husband and smiled. Clark sensed she was looking at him and met her gaze, smiling back. He reached out his hand and she took it.

"We need to clear the air about the night you were shot." Clark started, "Bruce and I already have. Now you and I need to clear the air about what really happened."

"What do you mean, what really happened?" Cj questioned."Once your mom and I got you to S.T.A.R.Labs . . .


***Clark and Lois sat in the outer lab waiting for Dr Klein to finish operating on Cj. Worried tears ran freely over Lois' face as she watched Clark pace, getting angrier with each step.

"Please sit down, honey. You're scaring me."

Clark turned to her, "Lois," he seethed, "I told -Batman- when this arrangement was made that if -anything- happened to my boy, he'd regret it."

Lois angrily met his stare "Clark . . . listen to yourself. Cj knew the kind of career choice he made."

"He was born into it," Clark sat next to Lois and hung his head into hands, ". . . he never had a choice."

"So you are saying he never should have been born." Lois painfully stated.

"Maybe so," he quietly answered.

"I know you don't mean that."

Clark sighed heavily and rubbed his forehead.

Lois stood angrily, "That is not - your- son in there. He's -ours-! And you are sitting there blaming your genes for getting him into this mess. That is the biggest crock of . . ."

Clark interrupted her tirade by abruptly speeding out the door.

"Oh, go ahead . . .fly away to avoid facing things. Just like you always do." He heard her words fading away as he flew toward Gothem. *I'm sorry, Lois.* ***

*

"I had a choice. I could have easily hidden my abilities and led a normal life, but you know as well as I do, I couldn't do that. My choice was to use my powers to help people the same way you did."

"I know, son. I was hurt, worried and angry. I said those things blindly. I didn't mean it and I apologized to your mother. I should have done the same for you.

"You gave me a gift, dad. The gift to help people. That not only comes with the Kryptonian heritage, it comes with having you and mom as parents.

"You had it in yourself, Cj. That's the most important thing." Lois told him.

"I will admit, I did feel a sort of an obligation. I mean, my father is Superman. But I also felt overwhelmed. Those are some pretty big boots to fill, Dad."

"Too many people idolized Superman. He had his faults." Clark said, "He wasn't a god, he was just Clark Kent. Those boots became too big for me to fill, especially after I found Joker."

"So what happened when you found him, Dad?"

"I probably should have flown around the earth a couple times to cool off." Clark said.

"I'm surprised you didn't come after me." Bruce spoke up.

"Honestly Bruce, that's where I was heading but something stopped me and I decided to find the Joker instead."




Chapter 8

*** Superman flew over the Gothem Nights theme park and x-rayed the buildings. He spotted the Joker lounging on a couch in the funhouse bragging to his cronies about killing another Robin. Hovering in the air over the dilapidated building, he listened to the conversation and got angrier.

" . . . and then Superboy Wonder flew off the balcony and 'pow', I plugged him!" Joker laughed maniacally as the rest of his gang joined in.Clark couldn't listen any longer without doing anything. He flew to the entrance of the funhouse and slowly made his way through the maze of
tunnels. The farther down the tunnels he walked the louder the conversation was. He tried his hardest to tune out the Joker's malicious ravings concerning his son. He walked determinedly into the light and stood crossing his arms; a formidable figure.

"Joker." He said evenly in a tone of voice that scattered Joker's gang.

Joker looked around and saw that he was alone with a very angry Superman. If possible, he smiled wider. "Superman. Nice boy you had."

Clark closed the gap between the two men within a second. He grabbed the Joker by the lapels, pulling him to his feet.

"Hey! Watch the jacket." Joker wriggled out of Clark's grasp and made a show of straightening his topcoat.

"That jacket is the least of your worries."

Joker sarcastically trembled at the knees with an over-the-top scared look on his face. "Oh, Superman . . .do stop. You're scaring me."

Clark narrowed his eyes glaring at the small white-faced man.

"I'm taking you back to Arkham."

"But I just left there. They haven't had time to change my sheets yet." Joker protested.

"I'll change them for you."

"I like hospital corners."

"Let's go." Clark grabbed Joker's forearms and started to lead him out of the funhouse.

"Oh, wait!" Joker giggled as if he had a private joke, "Don't you want to hear how I figured out the Boy Blunder was your kid?"

"Not particularly."

Joker pulled out of Clark's grasp and stepped slightly away from him. Clark stepped forward and closed the gap, wanting to keep Joker on his toes.

"Well, I'm going to tell you anyway," Joker sat on the couch and crossed his arms smugly. "I noticed a few weeks ago, that Batsy had a new partner. I could tell through the mask, that the new Robin bore a striking resemblance to you my friend. And you know, I had so much fun watching you squirm when I poisoned Lois Lane, oh, wait . . .it's Kent now . . . isn't it, Mr Kent." He laughed hysterically. So . . .I decided to test my theory."

Clark grabbed Joker and pulled him to his feet. He held him by the jacket at eye level, the shorter man's feet dangling. Still the Joker laughed.

"If you know who I am, then all bets are off," Clark seethed. "Why go after my family?"

"Because the only Achilles heel Bat's has is Robin and I've already killed one of them. You have two heels," Joker said, lifting his right hand "The right one, the lovely Lois." Lifting the other hand, " The left, Junior." More laughter.

Clark squeezed Joker's lapels tighter the angrier he got.

"You're choking me, Clarkie."

Clark abruptly dropped him, realizing he could have easily squeezed his life out of him.

"Enough. We're leaving."

Joker grinned and added, "You know you let junior waste his life by being Batman's little buddy. What kind of father were you?"

Before he could stop himself, Clark backhanded Joker across the face, sending him several feet across the room. Joker hit the wall with a crack and slid, leaving a small trail of blood in his wake.

*Oh my god* Clark ran to Joker and checked for a pulse. There was a faint one, but he knew from the size of the head wound that it wouldn't be there long.

Joker opened his eyes slightly and laughed weakly. "You killed me . . .I knew . . .Superman would . . . kill if I . . pushed right buttons .

. ." He let out a rasping breath and was gone.

Clark stood stunned and back away from the body. He could feel cold chills rippling down his spine. *No . . .No . . .No!* He backed into the wall behind him. His knees gave out and he sank to the floor his eyes never leaving Joker's lifeless form.

He pulled his cape protectively around him and thought of his son and of Superman who will pay the ultimate sacrifice for the death of the Joker.

What seemed like hours later, Clark stood a changed man. He walked resolutely to the body. Taking his cape off, he wrapped the now cold body of the Joker and flew out of the fun house.

Clark x-rayed the park looking for a place to temporarily hide the body. He spotted an underground access tunnel underneath the roller coaster. He hid the body, and flew to the Gothem S.T.A.R.Labs.

Before going inside, he made sure there was no blood on his clothes. Seeing none, he entered the building.

Clark walked up to the receptionist and asked for the scientist on duty. He was guided to the back labs and introduced to Dr Justman.

"Hello, Superman. How can we help you?" The sandy haired man asked

"I need an oxygen tank, with a mask. Something with several hours worth of air." Clark answered.

"Oh, sure." Dr Justman started gathering the tank and mask.

"Taking a trip?" he asked pointing upward.

Clark nodded non-commitally.

He waited patiently while the other man filled the air tank.

Dr Justman finished filling the air and handed it to Clark. "Here you go, Superman. You can just return it to the Met-branch if that's easier."

"Thank you." Clark took the equipment and left. He took to the sky and while flying strapped the tank around his waist. He stopped by the theme park and retrieved the body. He turned on the oxygen and put the mask over his nose. Jetting straight upward, Clark left the atmosphere.

He arrived at the moon several hours later. Clark landed on the powdery surface and walked toward the dark horizon. Finding a spot in the cold darkness, Clark set his burden down and started digging. Once done, he set the body into the newly dug grave.

He knelt on one knee and stared down at the blood-soaked cape that shrouded Joker and laughed at the irony. *Bruce always thought he would be the one to kill the Joker*.

Clark started tossing the displaced soil into the grave. As he watched the rocks and dirt cover the gold S emblem on the back of his cape, Clark jarringly realized he was burying Superman as well. Taking a deep breath of fresh cool oxygen, Clark put his hand against the S crest on his
chest and said goodbye to a part of his soul.***



Chapter 9

Clark finished speaking and turned to his family. Lois held his hand tightly as the silent tears made their way down her face. Clark turned to his wife and took her into his arms and held her tightly.

"Thank you, Clark for telling us finally." She said quietly against his shoulder.

Clark looked at Cj who sat staring at the blanket. "Cj?"

Cj abruptly left the blanket and walked to his grandparent's grave stone. He stood leaning against the stone with his back to his parents.

Clark stood and followed his son, "Cj . . . don't shut me out now."

The younger Kent turned and angrily looked at his father through watery eyes, "Don't shut -you- out? What have you been doing to me for the last ten years?"

Cj turned and crouched as if he were going to take to the air.

Clark grabbed him by the front of his shirt. "Hey! Don't run dammit."

Cj glared at his father, "Don't run?" He forcefully brushed Clark's hand away. "Oh, yeah . . . this coming from the Superman of great escapes."

At this comment, Lois bolted off the blanket and placed herself between the two angry men. She glared angrily at her son, "Kal-el Clark Jerome Kent, Jr . . don't you -dare- speak to your father that way!"

"Oh, come on, mom . . . how many times has he ran out on you?" Cj asked.

Lois inhaled deeply, steeling herself to the anger that ripped through her. When she spoke it was quiet and even. Her most threatening tone. "I did not hear those words come out of your mouth."

"Clark placed a comforting hand on his wife's shoulder, and stepped around her. "There were times I had to leave," he told Cj, "and there were times when I used it as an excuse to leave. But, I always came back."

Cj looked at his father and suddenly he felt like he was ten years old. "Then why didn't you come back for me." A tear fell unnoticed down his cheek.

"Because after what happened, I didn't know how to." Clark replied honestly. He pulled Cj into a bear hug, cradling his son protectively against his chest. "But I'm here now, and I promise I'm never leaving again."

Clark opened his arm and pulled Lois into the hug. "I'm so sorry."

Bruce sat pensively watching the three and quietly thought, *The Joker, dead. Somehow I knew, but why Clark? Why ruin his life. Mine is the one that's already screwed up.*

The wind whispered across the blanket, that the three Kents sat on."I think you know that bullet was meant for you., not Bruce."

Clark told his son.

"Yeah." He said.

"Care to tell us why?"

Cj drew a deep breath before he spoke. Cj looked at his mother for reassurance. She softly nodded, tears threatening, She took his hand, patting it softly.

"After, after leaving the batcave, I went to the theme park and hovered over the area, making sure I couldn't be seen. I couldn't see much from that height so I flew lower. I was concentrating on scanning the fun house, where Batman said he usually hid, and didn't see anything come up behind me. . . .



Chapter 10

*** "Boo!"

Cj jumped and turned at the manical sound of laughter behind him.

The Joker hovered next to him, a rocket pack strapped to his back. "Well, well, well," more laughter, "a birdy that flies!" Joker rubbed his hands together gleefully. "Imagine that!"

Cj swallowed hard, Joker was much more frightening in person. The only coherent thought he could put together at that moment was *Batman's gonna kill me!*

Joker pursed his lips in a morbid frown, "Oh, what's the matter little birdy . . . cat got your tongue?"

Cj mustered his courage together, squared his shoulders and spoke, "I'm . . .I'm here to take you back to Arkham!"

The grim clown put his hands to his chest as if he were flattered, "Oh, you do take after your father so."

The comment startled Cj. *How could he . . . you're flying CJ . . . oh, duh.*

Joker saw the confusion flit across the young boy's features. "Now, now," Joker put his arm around Cj as if he were talking to a son, "if you insist on being in this business there are a few rules you need to know." Joker began leading the two closer to the ground.

Cj wormed out of the Joker's grasp, "I don't have to listen to anything you say."

"Don't be petulant, boy!" Joker scolded, "Your father taught you better than that, I'm sure."

"My father taught me the difference between good and evil.

Joker acted shocked, "My boy, that is a terribly naive statement, one befitting your father.

"How do you know my father?" Cj asked, his anger piquing.

"Oh, please kid." Joker said, annoyed. " I'm not as dumb as I look. I know Superman is your daddy." Joker started walking circles around Cj.

"What has me confused is why you are playing Robin."

"Because I wanted training. . . and why do you care?"

"Well, it just warms my spirit to see the second generation. Oh, if only I had a child." Joker cackled, "Can you see it, Cj . . . Superman's son battling my progeny." He grasped Cj by the shoulders, "Ooh, don't you just love that idea?"

"How did you know my name?" Cj asked backing away.

"How did I know your name?" Joker repeated. "I looked it up in the phone book." He giggled, "No seriously, I looked under Superman but it wasn't there. So I looked under Kent. Do you know how many Kents there are in Metropolis?"

"What do you want?" Cj asked

"What do -I- want? You're the one trespassing."

"How long have you known?" Cj asked, ignoring Joker's comment.

Joker started giggling uncontrollably. "You are so easy! Now let me see if I can get Batsy's identity out of you."

Cj reddened half out of embarrassment and half out of anger at being that gullible. "You . . . you didn't get anything out of me!" Cj protested.

"I didn't?" Joker chuckled as he walked around Cj, counting off on his fingers. "Well, you just confirmed to me that Supesy's last name is Kent. And if you ain't Clark Kent's kid, you must be a clone."

Cj crossed his arms and stared silently at the man circling him with an amused grin permanently on his face.

"Ok, so you know who I am, big deal. So you know who my dad is. Big deal." Cj abruptly threw himself into the Joker. Both of them landing on the pavement amid grunts.

Joker covered his face with his arms, warding off Cj's fists.

"What the . . . kid, get off me!" Joker moved quickly and threw the younger boy off. He sat on his legs and held his arms out front. "That was stupid, bird boy! I've got this rocket pack on! You could have blown us both to hell!"

"I would have survived!" Cj growled.

"Touchy, touchy! Kid, why did you attack your ol' pal Joker?"

Cj narrowed his eyes to slits, "That was for my mother!"

"Your moth . . . geez, you Kent's hold grudges!" Joker stood and laughed. "So, I assume Bats had you flying reconnaissance, did you find anything?" he laughed at his joke. "Oh, you found me!"

Joker put his arm around Cj and led him into his funhouse. "Come on in, Kid. You'll have a great time here. "

Cj hung back, scared, but trying not to let it show. The niggling thought that he was stronger than Joker kept pestering the back of Cj's mind. He followed anyway, hoping he could find a way to get out and bring Batman back here.

They walked into the light of the room, and what Cj saw, stunned him.

His mother sat, gagged and bound to a chair, glaring at Joker.

"Mom!" Cj ran to his mother's side and began to untie her.

"Oh," Joker explained while watching CJ untie his mother, "I forgot to tell you I had company. That was rude of me. I found her outside the Gothem Gazette building."

"I'm all right, Cj. This fool came up behind me. He knocked me out before I knew what hit me." Lois reassured her worried son.

Cj freed his mother and turned ready to spring at Joker. He stopped when he saw Joker had a gun aimed at his mother's forehead.

"Go ahead, Jr. Wanna see if you're faster than a speeding bullet or is that just your old man?"

"You leave my mother alone!" Cj threatened

"Tell me who Batsy is, and I won't shoot her." Joker countered

"Cj, don't." Lois implored.

"Tell me, kid." Joker waved the gun threateningly.

The younger Kent stood taller, "No." He slowly inched between his mother and the gun.

Joker suddenly started giggling "Oh, no! I have an idea." He put the gun under his own chin. "Tell me who Bats is, or I'll kill -myself-!"

Lois crossed her arms. "Well, that's real tempting." She said with an amused expression.

"You aren't going to stand there and watch me do myself in.

Neither of you have it in you." Joker cackled. "So tell me what I want to know, and I'll let myself go."

Lois & Cj looked at each other, each not knowing what to make of Joker's sudden turn.

"No really. I'll do it."

"Look," Cj said, "this is really stupid! You can't hold yourself hostage!"

Joker focused his cold steely eyes on Cj. "I can and I am. Now give me Batman's name or I shoot me."

Cj rolled his eyes and grabbed Lois' arm. "C'mon Mom, let's go."

They walked around the Joker, heading out the entrance of the fun house.

Lois yelped as she was suddenly grabbed from behind.

Cj turned to see his mother being held against the Joker. The gun barrel against her temple.

Joker laughed hysterically, "I cannot bee-lieve you fell for that old trick!

Cj panicked when he saw his mother in danger again. "Ok, ok, I'll tell you. Let her go."

"Kid, If you plan on being in this business you need to learn how to see a ruse when it's in front of you. I've gotten you twice today." Joker said helpfully.

"Cj, don't let him talk you into anything!" Lois argued, trying to wriggle out of Joker's arms.

"Joker, let my mother go!" Cj yelled angry now.

"Okay." Joker said and abruptly turned Lois loose. She moved quickly to Cj's side.

Cj stood, confused.

Joker smiled bigger, trained the gun on Lois and fired.

The report of the gun was muffled as Cj dove for the barrel, and within milliseconds of the shot, forced it upward.

"You bastard!" Cj screamed fully, throwing his weight completely onto Joker. Cj blindly pummeled the pale man who laughed even still.

"Cj!" Lois yelled running toward her son. She grabbed his arm and pulled as hard as she could, trying to separate the two. "Stop, Cj! Don't do this!"

Cj heard his mother's plea and ceased fighting. He let her pull him off the now unconscious man.

"Let's go to Bruce's and let he and your dad know what happened, Cj." Lois gently put her hand on Cj's shoulder. Nodding toward the Joker, she commented," He can't do anything right now."

Lois and Cj left the funhouse. Cj held his mother across his arms and flew in the direction of the batcave.

As they left, Cj could barely make out the sound of someone giggling.

*

"Mom, what are you doing in Gothem?" Cj asked Lois as they flew towards Wayne Manor and the batcave.

"I had a story to do for the Planet on the bodies that were found in that shopping mall."

"Mom . . ." Cj admonished, knowing his mother.

"Okay, and I was worried about you, so sue me, I'm your mother."

Mo-om, do you do this to dad?" Cj asked.

"As a matter of fact, yes.

"Just drop me off at the Gothem Inn. I need to start working on the story, now that I know what I know." Lois requested.

"How did you end up at the Joker's?" Cj asked.

"I was on my way into the Gothem Gazette to ask them what they knew about the murders. I was jumped before I could get into the building."

"He didn't hurt you did he?"

"No, he just hassled me about your dad, you. The usual stuff the Joker hassles me about. You showed up not long after."

Cj flew to the roof of the hotel and set his mother down. "You sure you'll be all right?"

"Yes, Cj, I'll be fine. Tell your dad about this and I will hurt you."

Cj put his hands to his hips, "Mom!"

"Don't 'Mom' me. I'm a big girl. I'm ok. No harm done. I have a story to write. Go away." Lois shooed Cj off and walked through the roof access door.

Cj watched her go through the door and shook his head, grinning. *Dad, how do you do it.* ***

. . . Then I flew back to the batcave." Cj finished.

"So that's how Joker knew who I was." Bruce mused.

"And who you were, dad." Cj said to his father.

"I have a feeling Joker knew that long before. I didn't exactly wear a convincing disguise."

"Well, you convinced me." Lois chimed in softly.

"You were just blinded by love." Clark goaded.

"Oh, please. I was blinded by a pair of tights!" Lois teased back., her eyes sparkling.

Cj rolled his eyes at his parent's gentle teasing.

Bruce felt suddenly out of place seeing the love between Clark and Lois still as strong as ever.

Never had he felt so alone. Well, not never.

He thought about the day Alfred died, nearly twenty years ago. *I still miss you, old friend*.

Clark smiled at Lois, "I haven't forgotten about your involvement in this."

"What. I had a story to write." She stated.

"Honey, why didn't you tell me about this?"

"Because, Clark, I wasn't hurt. And with Cj getting shot; everything that happened that night, it didn't seem important."

"Lois, I cannot tell you how glad I am that you are retired."

Clark said, exasperated.

"Oh, did I forget to tell you I'm working on something?"

"Lo-is . . ."

"Hey, Time-Warner paid me a lot of money for my life story. And, boy do I have a doozy of one to tell."

Clark smiled and kissed Lois. "Just be nice to me in that life story of yours."

"I might think about it." She retorted.

"C'mon guys, don't get mushy on me." Cj interrupted.

"Alright, alright." Clark said.

Turning to Bruce, he gestured for the other man to join them. "I have an apology to make to all of you. I shut you all out at a time when I really needed you. Bruce, I know you had your own personal demons. I'm just damn sorry I . . . I'm just sorry."

"Clark, thank you. To have your friendship back, means all the world to me." Bruce said, extending his hand.



The End
Bizarra@infinet.com