Title: Saving Face

Author: Gail

Fandom: JAG

Pairing: Clayton Webb/Harmon Rabb

Rating: R, for language

Summary: Harmon Rabb comes over to ask Clayton Webb a favor for the first time since their break-up and gets a big surprise.

Archive: yes to Jagslash, Querstrich, RSA, CKOS, WWOMB. All others, please ask.

Email: gem225@hotmail.com

Sequel to Meatballs

Web Pages: The Unholy Trinity, at:
http://www.strangeplaces.net/trinity/main.htm and http://www.freespeech.org/gem/work/main.html

Disclaimer: The characters in this story aren't mine; they belong to DPB and CBS.

This is yet another PWP (#11) set in my Eclipse universe, where Clayton Webb and Clark Palmer became lovers when Clark blackmailed Clayton into bed while at the same time Clayton was trying to have an affair with Harmon Rabb. Over time the whole blackmail issue was resolved, and now they're together because they want to be. This would take place sometime after part 10. The Eclipse series can be found at either of the two sites listed above.

This story is Alex's doing. I was answering a message from her about Meatballs, and she brought up the idea of Rabb not wanting to say anything in front of Clark when Rabb came over to ask that favor of Webb, and this came out of me. She beta'd this story and urged me to post it. It's not her fault it took me over four months to decide to let it go.

 

Eclipse: Saving Face
by Gail
*****

I walk into Clay's office without knocking, since the door's open. I know he'll be glad to see me. He can't be over me yet. There's no way. I've thought about that 'other man' he claimed to have, and I'm pretty sure he was lying, trying to save face. Clay's CIA; he lies all the time.

He's standing and looking at me. "Commander Rabb. What do you want?"

I come inside. He's being pretty formal, but that's all right. I can deal with that. "I told you, Webb. I need a favor."

I hear a small sound from the corner behind me and turn. My god. It's Clark Palmer. I knew he was out, but what the fuck is he doing here?

"Commander Rabb." That's all he says. I turn back to Clay.

"What is he doing here?"

"He's CIA now." Clay doesn't show any sign of surprise at my question. "And he works with me."

I take a deep breath. I can't get into this now, even though I want to. I need that information; well, want it. I have to know that I can still work with Clayton Webb in the way that I want to work with him. "Leave, Palmer."

"I don't take orders from you, Commander. Webb, you want me to leave?"

"Tell him to get out of here." He has to leave. I won't talk in front of Palmer. I don't trust him, and Clay shouldn't either. He has to know better than that.

"Rabb, just tell me what you want."

He's not going to give. I can't believe this. Palmer in the CIA, and Clay never told me. And now he's siding with fucking Palmer against me? What is this, revenge for choosing Meg? He has to see it was the right thing to do. How could he expect that we'd stay together? There wasn't enough there. He had his work, I had mine, we had sex and some fun. That was all. He knew that; he wanted it that way.

"I need..." Shit. I can't say it. I know that Clay isn't going to want to give me anything, and I'm going to need to get a little more personal. I can't do that with Palmer in the room.

"Yes, Rabb?"

I steel myself and keep going. "Information on an agent named Michael Sanderson. He's one of yours, and there's reason to believe he's involved in," I can't believe I have to say this in front of Palmer, "a homosexual relationship with a Colonel Jason Smith. That he's using Colonel Smith to get military secrets and sell them to foreign powers."

"Sounds like nice work if you can get it," Palmer says in that goddamned mocking voice of his.

"Quiet, Palmer." Nice to see that Webb isn't going to let him get away with that.

"Yes, sir," I hear Palmer murmur, and when I turn to look at him, he's got a small smile on his face. What's so funny? He can't know about me and Clay. There's no way Clay would tell anyone, let alone Palmer. Clay barely would admit to himself that he wanted me. I had to make him.

Webb has been typing and looking at his screen. "Rabb, there's nothing here that will help you."

"Give me what you've got, and I'll make that call," I counter and smile at him. That always works.

He stares back. "No. You're going to have to find what you need somewhere else."

"Webb, this is a serious matter."

"If it's so serious, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding whatever information you need on your own."

There has to be something he's keeping from me. He's protecting this guy. "Clay, I need this information."

His look is icy. "Don't get personal, Rabb. This is business."

I flush. I'm not getting personal, just called him by his first name. He can't even handle that? He's not over me at all, but then I knew he couldn't be.

The phone rings. "Excuse me," he mutters, and gestures to me to leave. As I go out into the hall, Palmer's right there.

"You're not going to get anywhere presuming with Mr. Webb," he says quietly. "Give it up. He's made up his mind."

"You don't know shit about Webb," I snap back. Mr. Webb? Palmer's a con artist, and he's trying to pull something. Won't work on me.

He tilts his head. "And you do. Well, well, Commander, that is interesting. Perhaps I should look into this."

"Nothing to look into, Palmer." I glare at him. I'm not going to give him an inch. "How the hell did *you* get into the CIA?"

"I got lucky?" he offers, and I could swear he's laughing. "Yes, I got lucky. Webb keeps an eye on me, makes sure I don't fall back into my old ways."

Clayton never said a word about this. Not one. I asked him about Palmer, and he lied to me. Why didn't he tell me?

"Probably thought it was none of your business." Palmer's eyes are amused. I must have said something out loud, dammit. "And it isn't. I was pardoned; the CIA hired me; I've been good ever since."

"What kind of a scam are you pulling?" I snarl.

"Commander, it's a shame you can't get over your paranoia. Maybe your upcoming marriage will help you relax. Congratulations. I hope you'll be very happy."

He's holding out his hand to me, but there is no way in hell I'm taking it, and thank god, Clay's at the door. I push past Palmer and get in there first.

"Clay, I need that information." I lean over, get into his personal space. "Please." He still wants me; I know it. I know Clayton Webb.

Something flickers in his eyes, but I can't read them. "Don't play games with me, Harm," he says very quietly and steps back. "We're through here." This time his voice is clear and carrying.

I stare at him and don't move. "You'll regret this, Webb."

"Don't make threats, Commander. It's not a good idea." Palmer's in front of me, anger in his eyes. What is this? Loyalty? Palmer doesn't know shit about that. Must be trying to impress Clay. I hope he doesn't fall for it.

"Palmer, stop this," Clay says in a low voice, and he steps back. "Rabb, leave."

I want to argue, but dammit, this isn't working. "All right." I turn and go.

Clayton Webb is confusing me. But maybe this is just the start of this game. I'll call him later, see what happens then, give him a chance to think about this. He'll come around. He always does.

The End