Title: Deployment IV: In Harm’s Way


Authors: Anne Taul [
annetaul@insightbb.com] and Rising Sun [jagrslc@yahoo.com]

The FF of Anne Taul is archived at:
http://www.geocities.com/atjag101
The FF of Rising Sun is archived at:
http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc
For updates on FF by Rising Sun join:
jagrslc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Join the Fan Fiction Challenge at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffchallange/

Rated: NC-17

Classification: JAG Story/Adventure/Romance: Harm/Mac

Summary: Mac finds herself where the action is and Harm is worried that he may loose her.

Disclaimer: JAG characters portrayed belong to JAG, CBS and Paramount Television. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.

Permission to archive: Permission Granted

Authors’ Notes:

Deployment 1 to 4 (NC-17 versions) is available at
http://www.jagundercovers.com/warning.htm and http://pub10.ezboard.com/bbehindcloseddoors

The "ID ten T" error joke made the rounds on the e-mail and we have no idea where it came from.

Special thanks to all who assisted with the arrest in of the killer in particular to A. K. Kunack who aided with the jurisdiction web and the legal mine field.

Bud’s case based on "SEAL impersonator gets prison for lying" by Tim Mcglone of The Virginian-Pilot - March 21, 2002

Feedback: Yes please

Permission to archive: Permission granted.

Story Written April/May and August 2002


Deployment IV: In Harm’s Way
by Anne Taul and Rising Sun



0755 LOCAL
JAG HQ, Falls Church VA.

Life was not good right now.

Commander Harmon Rabb Jr. was grumpy and had been for the last two weeks. His girlfriend Lt. Colonel Sarah Mackenzie, "Mac" to all, was TAD to India and he was now partnered with Lt. Singer. He and Mac had parted on less than ideal circumstances and he missed her and as compensation he had the spawn of hell as his partner. It wasn’t even eight o’clock and there she was: Lt. Singer all already ready and rearing to go. He braced himself as she approached.

"Good morning, Sir." She was chipper.

"Morning." He grumbled he had no idea what was good about it.

"Excuse me, Sir, but I’m having trouble with my computer. Could you assist?" Singer asked sweetly.

Harm grimaced. "I’m no tech."

"I realize that Sir, but it’s early and I need to start work." She said.

He conceded, "OK!" anything for peace. Harm followed her to her office, clicked a couple buttons and solved the problem. As he was walking away, she called after him, "So, what was wrong?"

He replied, "It was an "ID ten T" error."

A puzzled expression ran over Singer's face. "An "ID ten T" error? What's that? … In case I need to fix it again?"

He gave her a grin... "Haven't you ever heard of an "ID ten T" error before Lieutenant?"

"No Sir," she assured him.

"Write it down," he said, "and I think you'll figure it out."

She wrote... I D 1 0 T and produced a weak smile as she read it. "Funny." She growled softly.

Harm returned to his office. Well, maybe life wasn’t that bad after all.

======================================

1709 LOCAL
JAG HQ

"Hey, Harm!" Commander Rabb heard the voice calling his name as he exited the courtroom. When he turned, he saw the lanky frame of Sturgis Turner approaching. "How'd it go in court?" Sturgis continued, as he managed to catch up to his friend.

"Lousy." Harm replied. "Singer kicked my butt."

"Ouch." Turner sympathized. "How did that happen?"

"She was better prepared…. or I wasn't paying attention…or I screwed up… or… I really don't know."

"Harm, what's wrong with you lately, Buddy. Ever since you came back from that assignment in the Philippines, you've been quiet, moody, losing cases. Moping around. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just can't get my head into work right now, that's all. I'm probably just tired."

"How about we go out for a drink? It's quitting time."

Harm consulted his watch. He hadn't realized it was that late. "I'm sorry, I'll have to pass. I need to get some more work done before I leave. Another time, though?"

"Sure." Sturgis answered, turning toward his office. He did a quick pivot and followed Harm into his office instead. "It's Mac, isn't it?"

"What about Mac? What are you talking about?" Harm challenged him.

"She's gone. You're not like this since you got back from the assignment. You're like this ever since she left for her assignment."

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Harm lied. "Mac's whereabouts have no effect on me whatsoever." The truth was, of course, that his foul mood had everything to do with Mac's current assignment in India. But he certainly wasn't going to admit that out loud, not even to Sturgis.

"Okay, maybe I'm wrong."

Harm sat down behind his desk and picked up a file. "You are. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

Sturgis turned to leave. "Okay, whatever you say. But if you ever get ready to admit it, I'll be here."

Harm watched as Commander Turner made a brief stop at his office, then caught the elevator and left the building.

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. If he closed his eyes, he could see her, smell her, taste her. She was almost there with him. Oh, how he wished she really were! Things had been good between them on the Philippines assignment. But when they returned to Washington, she needed space; she wanted to slow
things down. As much as he loved her and needed her, he didn't want to push her. He tried to comply with her wishes, even though it nearly killed him. Then, out of the blue, military advisors were being sent to targeted countries to help expand the front for the war on terrorism, and Mac was gone to India. Despite her protests he still believed that she had volunteered for the assignment, without even discussing it with him. He was hurt and he was confused. What had he done wrong? Had he loved her too much?

Harm and Mac had worked together for almost six years now. They had been partners and friends -- best friends. As Harm sat in the now deserted JAG offices, he could recall many of their cases together. There had always been a sort of attraction between them, but neither had ever acted on it until she'd been transferred out. Because of Mac's Persian ethnic background and her language and cultural skills, the Marine Corps had reassigned her to a Middle East post near the front of the war. Imagining her gone had been hard for him. When it came time for their final goodbye, their mutual passions had flared. Long suppressed feelings had surfaced. They had admitted feelings of love for each other and had spent the most incredible night together that Harm could even imagine. Still, when the morning dawned, she had to leave. The separation had been difficult, but they had managed to keep their love alive.

Mac had gone to a frontline post in Afghanistan. Just by coincidence, he had later joined her there. They worked together, then returned home, committed to their love. If Harm was honest, Mac had had doubts all along about their relationship -- not about their love, though. He had pursued her, but he thought
he had convinced her. Just last month during a sexual harassment investigation in the Philippines, they had been close again. But soon after they got home, she requested this assignment in India. He missed her, he really did. He couldn't really function well without her around anymore. Mac was no longer assigned to JAG, but her presence still loomed large in this office, especially to the man who loved her.

Why had she gone? What kept causing these doubts in her? Most importantly, though, he wondered when he would ever see her again. He did need to see her.

They had both had lousy track records with relationships in the past, and that was what made Mac doubt their ability to have a successful one together. But Harm knew that they could make it work. He just had to convince her. They belonged together.

His mind began to develop a plan to get her back. He wouldn't pressure her this time. They could take it slow and easy. They could even start all over again. A smile played across his lips, as he thought of the beautiful woman whose heart he would win for his own.


AN HOUR LATER

Harm unlocked his apartment door and dropped his briefcase and cover onto the floor. He carried a single red rose, which he quickly put into a vase of water. He sat looking at it for a few minutes, then whispered, "I love you, Sarah."

======================================

OFFICER’S QUARTERS
NEW DELHI, INDIA

Mac stared absently out the window of her room. The view was not bad at all. She'd never been to India. She should be enjoying this, but she wasn't. All she could think about was Harm, and the way his arms felt around her. She loved him so much, more than she had ever imagined it was possible to love. And no matter how hard she tried to convince him otherwise, she wanted to be with him – all the time. But she and Harm just weren't people who could do long term relationships. While they were in the Philippines, things had been perfect, until she got jealous and she again realized that those type insecurities
couldn't foster the relationship they pretended to have. Of course, he hadn't wanted to hear that. He couldn't see the need for distance between them to figure out where the relationship was headed. So, when the opportunity for an out of town assignment came up, she took it. She was doing this for him – for them.

But Mac missed Harm so much at quiet times like this. She hugged her arms around herself and took a deep breath. It was time to start this assignment.

======================================

BUD’S OFFICE
US EMBASSY

Mac popped her head into the office. "Hey Sailor got time for a Marine?"

"Colonel!" Bud squealed, jumped up and raced to her all at the same time. "What are you doing here? When did you get in? Is the Commander with you?"

Mac hugged the younger man with the same intensity as he was giving out. "Nice to see you too Bud. I’m TAD to the Indian government and no Harm is not with me."

Bud composed himself "How long are you here for?"

"Three months I got in last night. I’m surprised that you didn’t know I was coming."

They sat down "The paper work will probably arrive the day after you leave." He groaned. Then grinned "its great having you here ma’am... but the work load here doesn’t call for a senior JAG."

"That’s not why I’m here. The President is sending the Military to confer with friendly governments in the war on terrorism." She explained "But I was surprised to hear that you were in India. You took on the assignment on the Kitty Hawk with such reluctance."

"Yeah." He agreed "But I realized that if I want to move ahead and improve myself and my family that the TADs are needed. This one came up and promised to be more lively than the Kitty."

"More lively than a Tribunal? Bud!" Mac pretended admonishment.

"Touché." He grinned.

"What you working on now?"

"The usual, petty stuff. That is until this morning."

"Oh yeah?" She was intrigued.

"Ma’am don’t you have somewhere else to be?" he was concerned.

"In six minutes." She assured him.

He never bothered to question her uncanny relationship with time. He just accepted it. "Well it’s one I’ve not handled before." Then added quickly and breathlessly "not that I can’t handle it."

"Relax Bud I’m not here for a FitRep." She chuckled. Then she stood. "See you for dinner?"

"I’d like that Ma’am."

"Good then you can tell me all about your case then I’ll call you as I have no idea when my briefing will be over."

"OK." He agreed. "I’m usually here late so call here first."

======================================

1330 LOCAL
CONFERENCE ROOM – US EMBASSY

Mac stood as Harvey Witherspoon US Ambassador to India walked into the room. "Colonel Mackenzie welcome to India!" He was shorter than her and sweated profusely. Mac’s fought the instinct to wipe her hand on her uniform as the handshake had left it wet. She’d get Bud for not warning her.

"Thank you Sir." She replied to the balding man.

He turned to introduce his anthisis. "Lt. Colonel Sarah Mackenzie US Marine Corps TAD to us from the Office of the Judge Advocate General may I introduce your liaison while here. Lt. Colonel Shiva Gandhi of the Indian Army."

He was six foot six if Mac was any judge of height. Immaculately groomed and his uniform fit him like a glove. "Colonel."

She started. "Colonel."

"Something surprises you?"

Perceptive too, she thought. "My apologies I don’t mean to be rude by in the twenty hours I have been here I have already become used to hearing an Indian or British accent."

"And from me you hear American."

She nodded and waited.

"I’m American born and bred but my family returned here in 1986. When around Americans my accent tends to emerge." He grinned.

"Well!" The Ambassador actually rubbed his hands together. "I’ll leave you two to get down to business. She’s only here for three months Shiva." And with that he was gone.

"My office Colonel?" She offered.

"It’s Shiva."

"Mac."

"Lead the way Mac."

Part 2

0800 LOCAL
NORFOLK

Loren stood with her back to the crime scene. She’d already had enough of the case. One body was enough; now they had two. She was determined to stay on the case as the Admiral had assigned her and she needed to impress him. Pretending to search for clues she remained with her back to the scene as she listened to the conversation between Harm and the fire officer.

"Take me through it Chief." Harm requested as they looked at the body.

"Jones,sSr. I’m the arson expert not Chief." Harm grinned as the man commenced his review. "We got a call that there was a fire and as per operating procedure we responded. What we found was a small controlled fire..."

"... a controlled fire?" Loren asked.

"A fire that is not a threat. Controlled, not rampaging or a treat to life and limp." The fireman explained.

"Continue." Harm prompted.

"Yeah, well we put out the fire and what we got chilled the bone. It was a body burned just so. The accelerant was ordinary kerosene available at any hardware. But the burn pattern was set to preserve the hands. This SOB wants his victim identified." The man was grim.

"This is the second one in as many weeks." A woman observed.

Harm turned to the voice. "Well if it isn’t Agent Mary Holland" Harm used her full name. "We seem to meet only under stressful conditions." He greeted the NCIS Agent.

"Ain’t it just?" She smiled. "The ME says that the MO is the same. Shot then killed. Our killer is a merciful person."

"Not a man?" he observed.

"It’s the 2000s who knows the gender of a killer now a days? So JAG is on the case?" she responded. She jerked her head towards Loren.

"Lt. Singer. My partner on this case."

"Mac mad at you?"

"Mac’s in India." Harm virtually snapped.

"Sooory." Holland backed off. "We’re still looking for a link between the two. So far, nada... but we’re still running prints."

"Run the results by me?" Harm asked.

"Sure. May even pass the case. I try not to haggle for work." She promised and walked away. "See ya around."

Harm first watched the Afro American walk away then watched Singer. She was no Mac. He needed someone to bounce his theories off of no matter how crazy. Singer did not lend herself to that. In fact he had the distinct impression that she wanted to be somewhere else.

GOD! He missed Mac. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number for the American Embassy that he had search for the day she left. He snapped it shut. What was wrong with him! The Embassy had probably closed for the day. No one would be there.

He continued to watch Singer... what else was there to do?

======================================

1440 LOCAL
MAC’S OFFICE – US EMBASSY

"That is an ambitious agenda." Shiva pointed out.

"Can it be done?" she asked.

"Oh yes, it can be done. Its just ambitious that’s all." He assured her.

"Shiva may I ask as question?"

"Sure." His accent was returning with a vengeance.

"I have noticed that there are not trash cans anywhere. Well in here and the quarters but in the public spaces there are none. What gives?"

"A legacy of the British. In recent times with the conflict with the IRA the British security forces recommended to the Commonwealth that bins be removed. They make safe heavens for bombs. We decided to follow that particular suggestion."

"Interesting." She said.

"The consultation works both ways huh?"

"It does. The airports at home have a fair number of bins." She confessed.

"I know I was Stateside recently." He agreed.

"Really? Do you still have family there?"

"Not anymore but I like to visit whenever I can."

Mac yawned suddenly. "Oh! I’m so sorry. I have no idea where that came from." She was mortified.

Shiva took it in stride. "Jet lag."

She sneezed.

"Bless you."

She nodded as she sneezed again.

"You are tired go get some rest and I’ll work on this agenda of yours." He suggested "We can meet for dinner later."

"I’d love to but I promised a friend."

"Not here one day yet and you have contacts already?" He teased.

She sneezed.

"I’ll bring a brew for that too. HOME COLONEL!"

"Yes sir!"

+ + +

As the embassy driver took her to her quarters Mac decided in a few things.

One - She was catching a cold. Her travels of late had taken her from DC to Afghanistan back to DC to the Philippines. DC and now India. The constant change in temperatures had caught up with her.

Two - It was too late to call Harm it was 0730 and he would be in traffic. She loved him she missed him but it really it wasn’t fair to distract him that way as he navigated traffic. She smiled to herself as she realized she had automatically calculated the time difference with the minimum of ease.

Three – She liked Shiva. He was easy to get along with.

Four – she’d get Bud for not briefing her on the Ambassador.

======================================

0700 LOCAL
OFFICER'S QUARTERS - US EMBASSY

As it turned out that once Mac hit the bed she never awoke till the next morning. She had two officers to apologize to.

First Bud.

"Think nothing of it ma’am. I know how these things go. I was dead on my feet when I first arrived here. Bless you." He said.

She sniffed and nodded her thanks to his response to her sneeze and apology. "So tell me about this case of yours." She began eating.

Bud began. "Lieutenant (JG) Antonio Dax posed as a Navy SEAL to convince investors to lend him money for his business."

Mac frowned in disbelief.

"I kid you not,Ma’am. Dax was once named Sailor of the Year on the carrier America, but received a less-than-honorable discharge from the Navy in June 1992 after going AWOL for fifty-three days." Bud related. "While you were in conference yesterday I received this." He passed her a file.

She read. "He lied to agents about threatening to kill a former business partner. Falsified his military discharge papers and lied about not forging documents needed for his business!" She put the file down. "Incredible." Was all she managed to contribute to Bud’s epic.

"I know. I know." He shook his head. "Ready ma’am? The driver is here." He indicated.

"Sure." She said and stood. "This should be a slam dunk Bud."

+ + +

Now Shiva.

"DRINK!" He ordered and placed a glass in her hand.

As she drank it he said, "No apology needed Mac. I’m surprised you did as much as you did yesterday. Between the jet lag and that cold you did well." He echoed Bud.

"Whoa! This is not for the young!" she cried. "What’s in this?"

"My mother’s cure for all. As to what is in it. That is classified and I’d have to kill you if I told you or mother would kill me."

"Don’t worry this will either kill or cure me." She chuckled. She drained the contents then asked. "What did you manage to get for me today?"

"A big one. A meeting with one Cabinet Secretary responsible for disaster relief."

"I’m impressed." She said.

"And so you should be. He just happened to have a free time slot and we got it. Shall we?" He replied.

"By all means."

======================================

0800 LOCAL
OFFICE OF ADMIRAL CHEDWIGGEN

With Singer seated to his left Harm reported to their CO.

Now armed with the preliminary report AJ began to issue orders. "Commander have Bud do an analysis to that note. What did it say?"

"For the love of money." Singer provided. "It’s a song, Sir."

"I know what it is!" He snapped, "I don’t live in a cave!"

"Yes, Sir" She squeaked.

"Sir, Bud is in India." Harm reminded.

"Your point Commander?"

"Er.. none sir." He assured AJ. "Sir there is a possibility that this is a serial killer."

"Sir." Lauren bounced back "Two bodies do not a serial killer make!"

"True." AJ said "But we don’t need twenty-two to consider the possibility."

Harm kept his thoughts to himself but he knew Singer only apposed the theory, as she hadn’t come up with the idea herself.

"Commander, send out a SAVINGRAM to all JAG offices. Provide the MO on the killings and see what floats to the top."

"Aye sir!"

"Dismissed."

+ + +

Harm waited till Singer had turned the corner on her way to her office then spoke with Tiner. He gave him two orders:

The first – Send a global fax. Harm had taken the Admiral’s orders literally and sent the information to every JAG office on the planet.

The second – keep an eye on the dailies for any burnt bodies showing up. Singer may not think it was a serial killer but Harm was too experienced in the business. This had the smell of a serial killer.

 

Part 3

1330 LOCAL
KHALIL’S RESTAURANT, NEW DELHI

"How’s your spice tolerance?" Shiva asked.

"Native American on one side, Asian on the other." She met the challenge.

"Sister!" He teased. "Do you trust me to order?"

"Do I have a choice?"

As they waited for the food to arrive Mac got pensive.

Shiva spotted the mood swing. "Mac? You ok?"

"Mmm? Oh yeah I was just replaying the meeting with Mr. Barua." She replied.

"You can’t understand the reluctance to call on foreign assistance?" He guessed. "The attitude that we are a big country, we have enough resources?"

"Well you are a big country." She pointed out. "And may not need assistance."

"We do accept assistance but normally we only accept foreign aid if a disaster is beyond our

capacity to manage," he summed up. "And between you and me the reasons for this is rooted in

a mixture of poor communications, stodgy decision making, and post-colonial pride. You repeat that and I’ll deny it."

"My loose lips will sink no ships." She assured him "… but obviously there is a change afoot."

"Hence your having lunch in warm and sunny India and not cold and snowy DC." He told her. "But enough of work. You are here for three months and you must be able to give an account of yourself when you get back."

The waiter arrived loaded with the dishes ordered by Shiva. Over the meal he offered her a visit to the Taj Mahal.

"The Taj" She breathed. "How far is it?"

"Two hundred and three kilometers." He chewed on his food.

She almost chocked on her drink. "Two…"

"Too far?" He asked amused.

"When is my next appointment?" she asked before committing.

"Three days." He said.

"You planned this!!" She accused.

"I just told you I did. Besides all you did was hand me a list to organize meetings with." He became concerned. "But if I have offended I am sorry. It was presumptuous of me. I wanted to show you my country and I got carried away. You are correct. I shall cancel the trip."

She had been trying in vain to stop the monologue only when he stopped did she manage to get a word in. He was as bad as Bud!

"Shiva! It’s all right. I would like to visit the Taj Mahal and it would be safer with a local than me wandering off on my own. I’ll inform Lt. Roberts of the schedule and that’ll be it."

"Oh good." He sighed, "I’m glad. EAT!" He ordered.

"You enjoy ordering me around don’t you." She accused even as she complied.

"Only when called for."

======================================

1913 LOCAL
MAC’S ROOM

She had first returned to her office to get some work done and then to Bud’s to first tell him of the visit to the Taj and to arrange a dinner date.

Now she was in her room with seventeen minutes remaining to get ready. She dumped her case on the bed and spotted the flickering light on the phone. She had a message.

She hit the play button and Harm’s voice filled the room.

"Hey Mac. I’ve been calling but missing you. This time I decided to leave a message. I miss you and need you. Please call and save me from Singer. Ok kidding we need to talk Mac but in the mean time can’t we at least stay in touch? Call me."

She slumped onto the bed. Hearing his voice raised her emotions. She loved him so much. Now that he was so far away she wondered why was this relationship so difficult? Wasn’t love supposed to conquer all? Maybe he was right; she could at least call. Mac sat mulling over the pros and cons until she realized that she was about to standup Bud for a second time.

She made a dash to be ready. She’d call Harm later.

======================================

Harm strode purposefully toward Admiral Chegwidden's office, responding to the alert from Tiner that his CO wanted to see him. As his path crossed that of Lt. Loren Singer, obviously responding to the same call, he asked, " Have you come up with any new leads?"

"No." she answered curtly. "Any idea what the Admiral wants to see us for?"

"No." he was equally terse. This woman just seemed to grate on his nerves. Of course, that made him miss Mac all the more. They had always worked so well together. <<Quit thinking about her>> he ordered himself silently. But he knew that that was like telling himself to quit breathing.

After Tiner announced them, they entered the Admiral's office. AJ was seated behind his desk, and in the chair in front of him sat CIA agent Clayton Webb. Webb stood as they entered and shook hands with Harm, then was introduced to Singer.

Harm then asked, cautiously, "What are you doing here, Webb?"

Clayton came right to the point. "You sent through a personnel check last night on a Sergeant Rory Calhoun. Why?"

"He was murdered." Singer spoke up. "Commander Rabb and I are investigating the death."

Webb looked to Harm to verify and complete the explanation. "Calhoun's the latest in a series of victims to have been burned to death in a peculiar manner. We're just covering our bases, trying to make connections."

"Clayton Webb looked serious. "Well, I've got your connection. Normally I wouldn't even be informed about a routine inquiry like this, but the unusually high number of checks recently on individuals with this same connection sent a red flag up in our internal monitoring division."

"Webb, quit talking in code and tell us what the connection is." Harm demanded.

Clayton Webb picked up a paper with a list of names on it. "Are these the victims you're investigating?" he asked.

"Yes." Harm replied, glancing over the names.

"All of these people worked either currently or within the last three years for Union Carbide." He finally divulged.

"Union Carbide." Singer repeated. "Isn't that the company in India that was responsible for that terrible chemical disaster that killed all those people?"

"That's the one." Webb confirmed. "More than twenty thousand people died at the time and many more continue to die every day as a result of it. It's been called the chemical AIDS."

"So, all these murder victims were involved in that disaster." Loren guessed.

No, not necessarily." Webb corrected. I just know that they worked for the company. Our agency monitors people who worked for Union Carbide because of the possibility of the development of chemical weapons from that technology, but there's no evidence yet that anything like that is happening. You just said you were looking for a connection between these victims, that's the commonality. I don't know what it means for sure."

"Is it something you can use, Commander, Lieutenant? Chedwiggen asked his officers.

"I don't know, Sir." Harm responded.

"It's a start." Singer added.

Dismissed, they left. In the hallway, Singer commented, "This could turn out to be an important case after all."

"Every case is important, Lieutenant.' Harm corrected her.

======================================

HOTEL RESTAURANT
NEW DELHI, INDIA
1900 LOCAL TIME

Mac entered the restaurant and scanned the tables until she spotted Bud Roberts. She moved to join him.

Bud stood as Mac sat down. "Would you care for an appetizer or a drink, Ma'am?"

"No, I'm not too thirsty. I think just the meal will be enough." She answered.

"Okay, here's the menu." He said, handing it across to her.

She perused it, and then they placed their orders.

"I got an email and a fax from Commander Rabb today." Bud informed her.

Her heart beat a little faster at the mention of Harm. She really did miss him. She was sorry that they hadn't been in contact since she left Washington.

"Bud, you're working on a case, do you really have time to help Harm do this research?"

"Yes, Ma'am, I think so."

"Okay, just don't let him take advantage of your time and talents."

Bud started to say that he would never do that, but thought better of it and remained silent.

======================================

BUD ROBERTS' HOTEL ROOM
NEW DELHI, INDIA
LATER THAT EVENING

Bud returned from dinner to find a special alert message from Washington. It had been issued by Commander Rabb to all JAG offices around the globe. It advised personnel to be on the lookout for murder victims who had been burned.

"How awful!" Bud exclaimed. As he mused about this, though, he knew that it would be almost impossible to determine this in India. Cremation was the norm for the deceased here.

The phone rang. It was Mac. Colonel Gandhi had arranged or her to accompany him on a railway trip to Ahmedbad, where he had to attend a meeting, in the morning. . She would be gone a few days, but this would give her the chance she needed to further check out the railway system. She was telling him this so that he wouldn't worry when he didn't see her tomorrow.

He wished her a safe trip and returned to work.

About an hour later, his Internet search on "For the Love of Money" had turned up a hit that he thought might be relevant. Checking the time difference, he called Harm.

"Yes, Sir, it's a song title. I can fax you a copy of the complete lyrics."

Harm agreed to this and thanked him, but Bud could tell that he had been hoping for something else.

"That's what I've got so far, Sir, but I will continue looking. Something else may turn up."

"Thank you, Bud." Harm replied. He wanted to ask Bud if he's seen Mac, but didn't want to seem like he was pressuring her, in case Bud might tell her that he had asked. So, he didn't.

======================================

1424 LOCAL
JAG CONFERENCE ROOM

Harm slammed the file shut.

Loren looked at him "Sir?"

"Two bodies same gruesome MO and not a clue as to a motive!" he grumbled.

"You still think that it is a serial killer don’t you sir."

"I do." He responded. He rubbed his neck.

"Sir. The only thing these two people have in common is they way they died and that they worked at Union Carbine." She pointed out.

He had a thought. "When did they work there?"

She checked the file. "Jennifer Walters was there from February 1979 till she retired in February 1985 and Walter Jenkins was there from November 1984 to July 1990."

"The name of the company is familiar – WHY?" he stood and paced.

Loren rattled. "Midnight 2-3 December, 1984. Over 40 tons of highly poisonous methyl isocyanate gas leaked out of the pesticide factory of Union Carbide in Bhopal, India. Thousands died in the immediate aftermath… negotiations continued for years after."

"You are a wealth of information aren’t you?"

"I try, Sir."

======================================

NEXT DAY 1004 LOCAL
HARM’S OFFICE

Petty Officer Tiner entered as bid "Sir as requested I kept a look out for similar deaths to the ones you are investigating." He handed over the file.

"Thank you Tiner."

"Welcome sir." He turned to leave but was stopped.

"This is between us Tiner."

The young man smiled "YES SIR!"

With Tiner gone Harm opened the file and read. The MO was the same. Shot, body burned, hands safe and the note "FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY" when was Bud going to get that analysis for him!

He wondered if Peter Jones worked for Union Carbine. He’d have to find out.

One fact jumped out at him. This time the victim was British and killed at the Diego Garcia Naval

Support Facility, an island South East of India.

INDIA!!! It had to be fate. And it was time he took matters into his hands.

======================================

1301 LOCAL
MAC'S OFFICE

Shiva sauntered into Mac's office. "Afternoon Mac."

"Same to you Shiva."

"SO! My dear Colonel what is next on your agenda?"

"I was contemplating a visit to Dwarka." She pronounced.

He sat "Dwarka!"

"Something wrong with Dwarka?" She asked.

"No! No! But why there?"

"Well before we meet with the Indian Railway Board I thought I should use the system." She explained.

"Makes sense." He admitted, "But Dwarka is one thousand kilometers away! Wouldn't you prefer a closer destination?" he offered.

She blushed slightly. "Well I was hoping to mix business and pleasure." She confessed. He waited for her to continue, "I want to see what is claimed to be the holy city of Krishna."

"Mac! I'm impressed! You know of this?"

"And I want to know more." She said.

"Then Dwarka it is. When do you want to leave?"

"On the next train?" She suggested.

He grinned. "That will be tomorrow as the next one leaves in five minutes."

She grinned back. "Then tomorrow it is. In the mean time you can brief me about using the trains is it as bad as Bud says?"

"That depends on what the Lieutenant says!" He chuckled.

Part 4

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2002
AHMEDBAD

"All right I concede that Bud exaggerated the conditions but you must admit that it is not what I am used to." Mac told her companion.

"Indeed." Shiva also agreed. "So Colonel Mackenzie..."

"Oh oh I'm in trouble."

He smiled "How do you like India now that you are here long enough to actually form an opinion."

"I love it! I must admit that I was concerned about religious intolerance but as usual the reports by the news were exaggerated."

Mac lived to regret the words for as she and Shiva chatted the train suddenly got deathly silent. The only sounds to be heard were the wheels making constant contact with the tracks. Even Mac and Shiva stopped taking. It was a spilt second in time but profound. The silence was split by a scream and the attendant confusion.

As one; the people on the train moved as one force... out the doors of the moving train. With the first few hundred jumping out the train it began to screech to a halt. Shiva grabbed a passerby and demanded an explanation.

He turned pale and relayed to Mac. "A Muslim mob has attacked a group of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad. They were onboard apparently returning home from a visit to the disputed holy site of Ayodhya."

"Sweet Jesus." Mac breathed. "What now?"

"We get the HELL out of here!"

Mac didn’t need to be told twice. The two officers were swept with the river of humanity and got off the train with minimum effort but maximum problems. It felt as though they were bumped by or knocked and collided with every person on the train. As the force surged forward bottle necks were instantly formed at the exits and people began to riot in a desperate need to get out. The shattering of glass indicated that windows were being broken and the river of humanity split into tributaries as the herd split – some heading for door others for windows.

Mac felt the strong hand of Shiva’s in hers. Her grip matched his. If they were to let go they’d be separated instantly. As it was; it was a fight to remain together.

"This way!" Shiva screamed at her and she still had difficulty hearing what he said. He tugged at her and she followed. The riot was intensifying and Shiva felt the desperate instinctive need not only of self-preservation but to get his guest to safety. He headed for the door with great purpose unceremoniously pushing people aside. Mac trailed in his wake.

Finally Mac felt the change in the atmosphere as she felt a whiff of fresh air. It had taken them one hour twenty-six minutes to move ten feet! <<Even a riot didn’t throw that clock off she mused>> Shiva pushed the last of the human obstructions out of his way and the two Colonels braced to jump off the now stationery train. By this time the rioters were throwing rocks and bottles at anything that moved. They dodged the latest volley and jumped. Another wave came sailing trough the air as Mac, Shiva and a few dozen Indians jumped.

A bottle connected with Shiva and he groaned as the impact to his stomach registered. Mac wasn’t spared as falling rocks too hit her. They jumped, landed tucked and rolled as trained to do. In doing so they were separated.

Shiva scrambled up instantly on the look out for his colleague. The noise of the thousands now at the site was deafening. Still he called "Mac!!" Fear gripped him as he scanned his surroundings. How hard was it to find a white female among a horde of Indians? Then he remembered Mac’s incredible skin tone would allow her to blend in. He NEEDED to find her and fast!

He began to move in search of her, while praying to every God he knew: Muslim. Hindu Christian as long as they helped, he didn’t care.

+ + +

Mac rolled and sat up. Her face felt wet. She touched the trickle and found it to be blood. She was being walked on and made a move to stand only to be knocked down. Finally she asserted herself and stood. Where was she? Jesus this riot was awful!

"Mac!!!" She heard and a hand landed on her shoulder.

She turned.

"Thank God!" he said. "I thought I had I lost you in this. I’d never forgive myself and neither would our respective countries." The man looked relieved. "Let’s get the hell out of here." They were being crushed together by the crowd.

Shiva grabbed Mac’s hand and she followed.

By Mac’s calculations for the next two hours they struggled to get away from the riot. The pack had separated into two and was throwing missiles at each other. Anything would do but stones and bottles seemed to be the favorite.

Shiva finally slowed down.

"God, you’re still bleeding!" He exclaimed.

He fished out a rag from his pocket and moved to wrap her head. That’s when Mac finally spoke. "Who are you?"

He froze and then gulped as he processed the implication of the question. "Lt. Colonel Shiva Gandhi of the Indian Army." He eyed her. "What do you remember?"

Mac looked around and was obviously lost. "My name is Mac?"

Shiva’s entire body shrank. He was not familiar with the do’s and don’ts of dealing with amnesia victims but he’d risk at least telling her her name. "You are Lt. Colonel Sarah Mackenzie of the US Marine Corps and a lawyer with the Judge Advocate General’s Corps."

"Hence you’re calling me Mac." She said, "are we colleagues? friends? lovers?"

His eye brows jumped into his hairline This Mac was even more formidable than the other. "Colleagues and, I hope, friends." He replied. Before he could react another wave of missiles came sailing through the air and showered himself, Mac and everyone around they ducked for cover with everyone else.

Once there was a lull the multitude re-emerged and headed for safer ground as where they were was obviously vulnerable. Shiva reached for Mac but she was unconscious. This time a rock had made full contact. He slipped her over his shoulder and headed for safer ground.

======================================

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 28, 2002
SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE OF AHMEDBAD

Shiva looked at his watch yet again. It had been ten hours. Mac had been unconscious for hours but had finally awoken but her memory was still AWOL. He was worried. They needed to leave the community hall that he had taken sanctuary in together with other people. Mac needed attention and staying there was not going to get it.

A youth came running in. "The Army is here!" He announced panting. "The Hindus went on a rampage and twenty two Muslims were burnt alive as vengeance for the killings on the train."

"Any more good news?" Shiva was horrified but not surprised. It would get worse before it got better. That he knew from bitter experience.

"Yes rumor has it that fifty eight Hindus are already dead."

"Young man!" An old woman commanded "If you cannot arrive with news of how we are to leave this place alive I suggest you keep the details of Armageddon to yourself!"

"We need to get out." Shiva told Mac.

"We are not in uniform." She pointed out.

"I know. Can you travel?"

"Yes." Came her instant reply.

"OK. Staying here is certain death. I suggest that we circle the riot…"

"If possible"

"If possible and surrender to the Military. Our dog tags will do the rest." He finished.

"Sounds like a plan Colonel." She said. "Shiva… you are Shiva my liaison?"

"You remember?" He grinned.

She shrugged "That much anyway. Ready?"

"Don’t fret, it’s a start. Yep let’s go."

On that note the two walked out of the shelter and into the war.

======================================

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 28, 2002
OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY CHIEF OF MISSION

Bud barged into the office of the Deputy Chief of Mission with his Secretary in tow. "Sorry sir." The Sergeant apologized. "He wouldn’t wait."

"Sorry sir." Bud expressed his regret. "But you need to see this." He reached over and changed the

TV channel to the BBC.

"… and what you are seeing here is smoke rising out of the daily train in the former capital of Gujarat. To repeat ... In the state's largest city, Ahmedabad, twenty-two Muslims were burnt alive as Hindu mobs went on the rampage to avenge a train attack on Wednesday, blamed on Muslims, which left fifty-eight mostly Hindu activists dead. The carnage came a day after a suspected Muslim mob attacked a train carrying activists of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) back from the disputed holy site of Ayodhya."

"Sir Colonel Mackenzie and Gandhi were on that train and we’ve heard nothing from them."

The Deputy Chief’s eyes narrowed. "Any reason why this news is only now reaching us?"

"Initial reports indicated that it was a derailing of the train. Such incidents though tragic are not rare. I have just been made aware of the true nature of the crisis and which train." Bud explained.

"I’m going to the Ambassador you. Lt. Robert’s commence coordinating of the search, link up with the Indian Army. Use what ever you need GET ME THAT COLONEL BACK!"

"Aye sir!"

======================================

BUD’S OFFICE
US EMBASSY

Bud was waiting for his counterpart to call him back. His phone rang. He pounced on it. "Lt. Roberts here."

"Lieutenant I have a Commander Harmon Rabb Jr. on long distance for you?" his secretary announced.

"Put him through." Bud ordered. "Commander!"

"Bud." Harm’s voice came through. "How goes my search?"

"Search sir?"

"Don’t tell me you forgot. FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY."

"Oh yes sir. I e-mailed the info to you didn’t you get it?" Bud informed him.

"NO!"

"Sorry sir. Will send it again."

"What’s wrong? Don’t tell me a little riot hundreds of miles away has you scared?" Harm teased.

"Sir?" Bud squeaked.

Harm got serious "Give Bud."

======================================

FIVE MINUTES LATER
CHEGWIDDEN’S OFFICE

Harm found himself in his Commanding Officer’s office in record time.

"Commander?" AJ waived him into a chair.

He got straight to the point. "Permission to go to India sir."

AJ put his pen down and focused on the man before him. "Did I miss something here?"

Harm began his argument. "Sir the investigation is pointing to the disaster at Bhopal, India. The investigation will be cheaper if I’m there and not conducting interviews and following leads long distance."

"… and a Marine Colonel’s presence there has no influence on the request?" AJ probed.

"Actually sir Colonel Mackenzie is MIA."

"WHAT!" AJ bawled so loudly Tiner heard him through the thick office door.

Harm explained "I was following up on the investigation with Bud when he told me that Mac was in Ahmedabad when the riots broke out. She and her liaison have not been heard from since."

"Commander." AJ’s eyes bored into Harm. "GET ME MY COLONEL BACK!"

"Yeeessss Siirrr!" Harm replied.

 

 

Part 5

INDIRA GANDHI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
NEW DELHI

Bud Roberts stood as passengers began deplaning from the newly arrived flight. He scanned the crowd for the familiar face of the man he was meeting. Eventually, Harm's height towered above most of the others there; and Bud hurried to greet his mentor.

"Commander Rabb, welcome to India, Sir. How was your flight?"

"Fine." Harm mumbled. "What's the word on Mac?"

"Still missing, Sir." The young lieutenant replied sadly.

"I'm going looking for her immediately. Can you get me a car and some information?"

Bud's answer was cut short by the approach of a third man. "Commander Rabb, I'm Louis Wainwright, Deputy US

Ambassador to India."

Harm shook hands with this man, then said, "Ambassador Wainwright, Sir, it's good to meet you. I trust you've been apprised of Colonel Mackenzie’s disappearance?"

"Yes." He conceded. "We've got people out trying to locate her and Colonel Gandhi now."

"I want to join the search as soon as possible." Harm announced.

"That may not be wise." Wainwright cautioned.

"I'm going." Harm concluded. "Can you get me maps and transportation to the last know position?"

Wainwright glanced at Bud in frustration,

"Sir," the junior JAG officer began, "the army and the civil protection league are out there combing the countryside. There's no more that can be done right now. It wouldn't do any good for you to go. Save your strength, Sir. She may need us fresh if we have to go in and get her."

Unfortunately, Rabb could not argue with this logic. He allowed himself to be taken to the hotel.


TWO HOURS LATER

Harm had just finished reading the briefs that Deputy Ambassador Wainwright had sent him about the riots in Ahmedbad and the train mishap involving Mac. He couldn't believe something like this could have happened to the woman he loved. Something inside told him that he should have been there for her. But now… now, he had to find her and soon, before any harm could come to her. He needed her with him. How could he possibly miss her so much? Harm had never been in love
like this, it was consuming.

A knocking at the door interrupted thoughts of Mac. It opened to admit Bud Roberts. "I thought you might like to go out to have some dinner." He suggested. "I know a couple of pretty good places."

"I'm sorry, Bud. I'm not really hungry right now. I've got to figure out a way to get out there and look for Mac."

"But Sir, Ambassador Wainwright told you to stay here. Everything possible is being done to locate them. I'm sure they'll be found any minute now."

"Yeah, I know what the ambassador said. But this is Mac we're talking about here, not just anybody. I need to find her." Harm made a mental note to be more careful. He had almost identified Mac as the woman he loved to Bud. They had agreed to keep this private and discreet -- he had to respect that.

Bud knew the Commander and the Colonel had a special friendship. Of course it was hard for Harm to just sit and wait with no news. So he made another suggestion. "Sir, would you like to go to the search headquarters and listen to the incoming radio transmissions from the search teams?"

Harm jumped on this. "Yes!"

Bud took Harm to the area from which the rescue teams were being coordinated.

======================================

NEAR RIOT AREA
AHMEDBAD, INDIA

Shiva Gandhi stirred from his position on the ground and looked around. Immediately everything came flooding back: the train, the riots, the attacks. Surveying his surroundings, he could see some evidence of fires and injured people. Noise a short distance away indicated that the riots were still going on, if only lessening in intensity. What was he doing out here?

There was a moan nearby. He turned to see the American female Colonel sprawled on the ground, with a gaping head wound. Blood was everywhere.

Gandhi crawled toward Mac. She was a guest in his country, so he felt immediately guilty for allowing her to be injured. Silently he prayed that she wasn't hurt badly.

"Colonel Mackenzie." He called to her as he reached her position.

There was no answer.

Gandhi checked her pulse. She was alive, but it was very weak. He would need to get her medical attention very soon if she was to survive.

The sound of two male voices, emanating expletives approached. The rioters were coming back!

A cursory glance around showed a wooded area nearby. As quickly and quietly as possible, he stood and hooked his hands under Mac's armpits. He dragged her the twenty or so yards to the edge of the wooded area and collected brush to conceal them both.

The rioter walked within a few feet of their hiding place, but didn't see them. Shiva Gandhi breathed a silent sigh of relief. Then he began looking for better shelter. Nothing was nearby.

Mac slowly came to in a foggy haze. When she looked around, nothing was familiar. A man approached her, so she adopted a defensive posture. Before he knew what had hit him, Gandhi had been dropped to the ground. "Colonel, Colonel," he addressed her.

She didn't respond.

Nothing was familiar to Mac. Who was this man? Why was this man calling her that?

After a few minutes, Colonel Gandhi figured out that the blow had not helped Mac's memory. He quit trying to talk to her and resumed his search for a way to get back to Delhi or, at least, a suitable shelter.

======================================

SEARCH BASE
U. S. EMBASSY
NEW DELHI, INDIA

The teams reported in whenever there was any suspicion of a lead being found. Unfortunately, the trail was beginning to grow cold. They feared that efforts would have to be suspended as darkness approached. Several of the teams had been attacked by lingering rioters, so the environment was still an unstable one. All of this had created a somewhat depressed mood in the government headquarters. The COmmand Post had been established in the American embassy rather than a local building because of the involvement of a U.S. citizen, which freed up resources that would not normally have been used. Rival factions were already criticizing each other, saying that Mac should not have been out there in the first place.

That's what Harm thought too. He tried to sit and be only an observer while the information came in, but it was difficult for him. He jumped to his feet ready to act on every radio transmission that came in. He had long since passed worry, and now was heading toward sheer panic. That was Mac … his Mac out there. And he loved her so much. The fact that they had argued the last time they talked weighed heavily on him... He just had to find her - and soon.

To his credit, Bud tried to rein his friend in during his more frantic moments, but it was getting harder to do.

When hs friend suggested that he rest, Harm fell into a light, troubled sleep. In this unconscious state, his mind convinced him that his Love was safe. He could almost feel her in his arms, lying beside him. He whispered softly into her hair that everything would be okay. He told her that he loved her, and they made plans for their future … together. This was the happiest place Harmon Rabb had ever been.

======================================

RIOT TORN REGION
NEAR AHMEDBAD

Colonel Gandhi had managed to find a shallow cave in the side of an embankment to provide them with a little shelter. It wasn't very large, but would keep the elements at bay and, hopefully, give them some cover from the rioters. Mac's head wound had stopped bleeding and she appeared to be gaining some strength, but her mind was still confused. Shiva tried to talk to her about their mission and what was going on, but she had no memory. He quickly concluded that her amnesia was total. At least she was conscious, though, he thought. That meant that she could travel and maybe help in planning their course of action.

Still, he was worried.

Mac, with no real awareness of who or where she was, was mostly oblivious to what was happening. She knew that she and the man with her, whoever he was, were in a dangerous situation. She felt that she had no choice but to trust him, at this point.

They slept close together to ward of the cold night air. Mac was very comfortable while she was sleeping. As soon as she drifted off, the image of a man filled her dreams. It was a very comforting presence. He was tall with dark hair and blue-green eyes. The eyes were gentle and kind. He wore a brown leather aviator's jacket that fit him like it belonged on him. His smile was the best part. It was the kind of smile that she was sure could make her do anything without questioning it. He was familiar and safe feeling.

When she woke, she looked around for him -- he should have been with her -- but he wasn't there. She was disappointed.

======================================

NEXT MORNING

Gandhi got Mac up and going for an early start. Climbing to the highest point, he was able to identify their position. He expected her to be resistant to his leading her back toward the city. But she wasn't. She followed along right behind him. He decided that she was just "too out of it" to be able to put up much fight.

He told her that they were coming to a small village, where they would make a phone call back to the military garrison for help. But when they arrived at the village, it was deserted. Fires had destroyed most of the buildings, and were still burning. They did find a phone, but it wasn't working. So, they trudged on.

An hour outside the village (and Gandhi judged, days still from Delhi if they stayed on foot), they heard angry voices coming toward them. Mac seemed to not register the potential danger, so Gandhi pulled her off into a secluded hiding place. They watched as three looters came into sight. They were arguing about something they had found. Suddenly, one of the three pulled a knife and killed his two companions by slitting their throats. As the blood flowed he picked up a sack of loot and walked on.

Gandhi and Mac moved on. The sun beat down hard on them. After a while, Mac felt woozy. She knew it was a mirage, but she saw the dark haired man from her dream again in front of her. This time he was wearing a military uniform. She thought he must be the most handsome man she'd ever seen. She wondered who he was and where she knew him from. He seemed to beckon to her, so she walked on.

Eventually, they got to an area where the rioting had been especially bad. The ground was littered with many dead. As they walked past and stepped over the bodies, a ringing sound reached them. Gandhi's face lit up. He fished inside the pocket of a dead man to retrieve a cell phone.

"Who are we going to call?" Mac asked. Her confusion was obvious.

Colonel Shiva Gandhi moved away and placed a call.

======================================

SEARCH HEADQUARTERS

There had been little contact with the search teams for several hours. Everyone was getting disheartened. With each passing minute, the chances of finding the missing officers decreased.

Deputy Ambassador Wainwright answered the call himself when it came in. When he mentioned Gandhi's name, everybody in the room stopped to listen, and moved closer to hear what was going on. Harm heard him ask, "Is Colonel Mackenzie with you?" That was all he needed to advance on the ambassador and try to hear more details.

Apparently that question was not answered directly. Harm continued to listen for any news of Mac, but she wasn't mentioned again in the phone conversation, at least not by Wainwright.

The Deputy Ambassador made notes on a pad, and then went to a map. After hanging up the phone, he made marks on the wall map. "That was Colonel Gandhi.," he told them. He and Colonel Mackenzie escaped the riots and have gotten to …here"

(he indicated a point on the map).

"Are they okay?" Harm demanded.

"Colonel Mackenzie is injured, but they will both make it, according to Gandhi." Wainwright informed them.

Harm's mind whirled. She was injured! He hoped it wasn't too bad. But if she were hurt, she'd need him. He had to get to her.

"Let's go." Harm ordered, heading toward the door.

"Hold on, Commander. We can't just go barging in; it could put them in danger.

But Harm wouldn't be deterred. He just had to get to her. He wanted to see her, talk to her, hold her in his arms.

======================================

ONE DAY LATER IN RIOT ZONE
NEAR AHMEDBAD, INDIA

Colonel Gandhi had called for help, but he still didn't believe that they were out of danger. His senses were on full alert. His companion wasn't able to be much help at all. And he really felt guilty for what had happened to her. He knew that he was totally responsible. If he hadn't insisted on bringing her on this train trip with him, she'd be back in the city, safe. Gandhi was determined to take care of her.

A short time later, when they heard the sound of a vehicle approaching, he herded his charge into what was left of a burned out building. Wile it wouldn't serve as a permanent hiding place, it did provide some concealment from the road. A truck stopped not far from their position and he held his breath.

Mac, sensing her companion's nervousness, stayed very still.

Several people got out of the truck and looked around. Mac heard somebody call out, "Mac! Mac!" She couldn't remember for sure, but she somehow thought that had something to do with her. She stepped out into the open.

The tall man from her dreams was moving toward her. He looked worried.

She closed the gap between them. The man enveloped her in a huge hug. She didn't respond -- she didn't even know this man, or did she? She couldn't be sure.

Harm held her close and whispered in her ear. "Sarah, Honey, I was so worried. It's so good to see you. Are you okay? I love you. "

Mac could not respond to any of this.

Harm continued to talk to her, concerned by her lack of response.

Colonel Gandhi walked over to stand beside him. "I'm sorry, Commander. She probably doesn't know who you are."

"She knows me. We're close." Harm corrected him.

"The Colonel suffered a pretty bad head injury. She seems to have total
amnesia."

Harm couldn't believe it. "Mac!" he addressed her. "You know who I am, don't you?"

"My friend?" she guessed.

"Yes, yes." He answered. "It's Harm. You can't remember me can you?"

"Not exactly." She confirmed.

Mac didn't remember this man, except from his appearances in her dreams, but she thought that he seemed very nice. And he was attractive.

Mac and Gandhi were loaded onto the truck for transport back to the city. Ambassador Wainwright sat next to Gandhi, trying to gather as much information about the riots as possible. Harm stayed next to Mac, examining her head wound. He hoped that she could feel his love, even if she didn't remember him.

+ + +

Back at the embassy, Bud suggested to Harm that they should let Admiral Chegwidden know that Colonel Mackenzie had been found.

Harm made the call himself, catching AJ just returning to the office from lunch.

"Commander, is she going to be alright?" he demanded.

"Thank God!"

"Memory loss? How extensive is it?"

"I'm really sorry to hear that. What can we do to help her?"

"Okay. Is there anybody I should contact?"

"Of course. And Rabb… stay with her, she shouldn't be alone right now. Do whatever you can to help her recover and regain her memory. Do you think I should come there to India, because if there's a chance that it might help her…"

"Yes, Harm, I know you'll do everything you can."

"Okay."

"Keep me informed about what's going on there. And let me know what I can do."

"Thank you, Commander. One more thing… in this condition I’m relieving her of her TAD. As to when she returns home I leave to the doctors, however if she can I think the Colonel would be an asset to your case."

The telephone contact was ended, but this unexpected turn of events weighed heavily on AJ.

Part 6

ARMY HOSPITAL
NEW DEHLI, INDIA

The doctors had treated Colonel Gandhi's scrapes and bruises and released him. He then went to a conference room for debriefing by his government with U.S. Officials in attendance.

Mac's injuries were more serious, so the doctors had decided to keep her for observation. The diagnosis of amnesia was confirmed. Harm vowed not to leave her side, so he stationed himself in a chair in her room, next to the bed.

Harm had tried to explain to the doctor the close nature of his relationship with this woman. Why couldn't she remember him? What he had discovered was that this was far from an exact science, so there were no definite answers. The doctor assured him that in these cases, the patients almost always recovered at least some of their memory, though it might take time. Familiar things and
activities might spur this along. But Harm was cautioned not to expect miracles.

He would spend time with her. As soon as she felt better, they'd work together on this case, as they had on so many before. He wouldn't pressure her, but he'd be there for her. Still he felt the need to try to jog her memory. He needed his girlfriend back.

======================================

US EMBASSY

Bud, Mac and Harm spent most of the next day together. The men were at a loss for how to deal with her memory loss. They tried talking about some of the past adventures the three of them had shared, but Mac just stared at them blankly. It wasn't that she wasn't interested in the stories; she just didn't remember any of them. It was like those things must have happened to somebody else.

She could feel that these two men cared about her -- they were her friends and she was grateful for that. But she did wish that she could be the person that she could tell that they desperately wanted her to be.

Mac was saddened -- and frightened -- by her memory loss. The fact that she couldn't remember anything about who she was terrified her. Soon after eating dinner with Harm and Bud, she went to bed. It had been an exhausting day. She believed what she'd been told about her life, but not being able to remember it scared her. Details of what Bud and Harm had said whirled through her mind. She replayed everything, hoping that this time it would be familiar. Sleep soon overtook her. Then he came.

Mac was lying alone in the cave where she and Gandhi had spent the night. A tall man approached. She couldn't see his face, but it was someone she should know. The man bent down to touch her face, then lowered himself to lie beside her.

After their passion, Mac tried desperately to see his face. Who was this man who had given her one of the most memorable experiences of her life? Why couldn't she see him? She awoke in a cold sweat. Had it really been a dream?

======================================

HARM'S ROOM

Harm was truly grateful that Mac was okay and that she had returned to him. There is no way he could imagine his life without her. But the amnesia did worry him. Apart from the fact that she couldn't remember their romance and being in love, she didn't even recall their friendship. He might as well be a complete stranger to this woman he had shared so much with.

He sat up thinking about this situation for a long time. When he finally turned in, his arms clutched tightly to a pillow, and he pulled it against his chest. Mac felt so good in his arms; he really missed that. As he fell asleep, he remembered how soft her skin was -- how sweet it smelled. Even if it took forever, he knew he'd do whatever was necessary to get her back. How he loved that woman!

+ + +

THE NEXT MORNING

Bud picked Mac up at her hotel, and then they met Harm for breakfast. It was agreed that the men needed to get back to the work that had brought them to India. Harm would need to brief Bud on the details of his investigation. He asked Mac if she'd sit in on that with them. "We could use the benefit of your keen legal mind on this."

"Sure." She agreed. "But how do you know that I'll even remember anything about the law??"

"The doctor told us that in cases like this, people usually remember basic things about how to care for themselves and retain their ingrained job skills."

"Okay." She consented.

"I thought this would be a chance to remind you of how we've worked together. But we don't want to put any pressure on you. If it feels uncomfortable to you, we'll stop." He continued.

"Thanks." She smiled, sheepishly.

+ + +

LATER

The fact was, though, that it felt anything but uncomfortable. As Harm talked about the evidence that he and Loren Singer had collected, Mac's mind whirled. She did know how to process all these details, and what they meant. The additional information from Bud's research began to paint a picture of what might be going on. Mac listened, questioned and offered suggestions. This time,
with these Naval officers, who she couldn't remember, felt very familiar. They were making progress!

When they'd gone about as far as they could with the information they had, Bud suggested that viewing the closed circuit tapes from security cameras might provide some more leads. Each location where a murder had occurred was equipped with surveillance cameras. Unfortunately, a trip to London would be necessary for this. It was the closest place where the right equipment could be had and where all the tapes from various places could be gathered. Harm decided that he would leave in the morning.

Mac's mind had hooked into this problem and was trying to sort things out, so she asked to go along. She needed to continue with this, as it was the first part of her old life that had begun to seem like it made any sense to her. Harm agreed to take her along, and made their travel arrangements. They would leave early in the morning. In truth, he was even encouraged by her interest and the way she'd been able to help with this. She had always been such a fine attorney;
he really admired that about her.

By late evening, they had organized all their information and made arrangements with the necessary London agencies to view CC-TV tapes from various locations related to the case. Harm walked Mac back to her hotel.

They talked easily about how she had felt today about working with him and Bud. She had to admit that it seemed familiar and easy, but she still didn't remember anything specifically.

She didn't say it out loud, but Mac thought that walking and talking to Harm this way felt familiar too. They must have done it before.

At her door, they arranged a time to meet the next morning, and said goodnight. Just before she went inside, Harm leaned close and very gently kissed her cheek. "Good night, Mac."

"Night." She replied, and then closed the door. Why had he kissed her? She didn't object; it just came a little unexpectedly. It had been so soft and gentle, so quick, but it continued to weigh on her mind, as she got ready for bed.

Sleep had barely overtaken her when he came again -- the unseen dream lover from before. She still couldn't see his face. Who was he? But he moved slowly and steadily toward her. Who was this man haunting her dreams? He had been so gentle and kind that he must truly care for her. She wished she knew who he was!

+ + +

NEXT MORNING

Bud dropped Harm and Mac off at the airport to catch their flight to London. While they waited at the gate, they discussed possible theories about the serial killer they were investigating. None of these ideas quite made complete sense, but somewhere there must be a combination of things that would solve this case. The ideas flew around inside Mac's head. She was kind of glad to have that
distraction from the worries about her memory.

On the plane, Harm stayed very close to his partner. He didn't want her to doze off, and then awake to not remember where she was. Mac was touched by his concern and attentiveness.

At one point, he reached to hold her hand loosely. "You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, of course." She assured him, but she didn't want to move her hand away.

After they checked into their London hotel, they rested, and then met up to take a long walk and have some dinner together. Since they couldn't begin viewing tape until morning, they thought they might as well relax a little.

Seeing some local sights on their walk, they stayed very close together and talked quietly. For a short time, Harm put his arm round Mac's shoulders as they walked. This confused her a little, but it felt too good to pull away.

Dinner was very nice -- even romantic, really. Mac knew, though, that that perception was only wishful thinking on her part -- because she'd like to find a little romance in her life. Harm was just being nice -- and maybe feeling sorry for her.

He walked her back to her hotel room. As she leaned against the door, he gently grasped the back of her neck and urged her head forward as he leaned in. The kiss was quick and soft against her lips. Then, he quickly mumbled, "Good night, Sarah." And was gone.

Mac was left standing there with her mouth open. The kiss had been so automatic, so right, but if she thought about it… it didn't make any sense.

Replaying the whole day in her mind, it seemed as though Harm had been making romantic overtures. But that could not be on his mind. They were friends, they worked together -- that was all. Anything else, she was just inventing in her imagination. Still, it was a nice feeling to go to sleep with.

======================================

0023 LOCAL
MAC'S ROOM

Mac finally knew when she was beat. She reached for the TV remote and ran though all one hundred and fifty-six channels and found nothing of interest.

The case file called to her.

Four hours twenty-eight minutes later she had developed a profile on the killer:

· Has a connection to the company Union Carbide but more likely to the Bhopal incident as the target is former employees of the company specific to the disaster.

· The connection does not have to be a direct link but it could be indirect.

· The leaving of the note "For the love of Money" and a review of the song tends to indicate that this is retribution.

· There is a US Military connection at least access to bases internationally for the bodies are found on American bases all over the world.

· Has the ability to travel. Either through work or has own money… but this person moves.

· Demographics of the US population points to it more than likely being a white male, however with the Bhopal link it could be an Indian.

· Approximate age: Assuming a man of 30 years (arbitrary number chosen by Mac) with the first kill as dated in 1989 then the killer is now forty three.

· The trigger: In February 1989, the Indian Government agreed to a settlement of US$ 470 million with the Corporation. The earliest report from US Bases so far has been December 1989.

· This may be the start of the killings as the Corporate HQ of Union Carbine are at Danbury, Connecticut and the earliest killing recorded was at Naval Submarine Base at New London which is eighty four miles to east/southeast of Danbury.

She returned to bed and slept like a baby.

======================================

0802 LOCAL
HARM'S ROOM

Harm placed the file down. He'd been studying the profile Mac had worked up. "So how does the note figure into this?" He asked.

"You still have the lyrics Bud supplied to you?"

He fished it out of a pile of paper on his desk.

Mac took the pages from him and began her analysis. "Some people got to have it - Some people really need it - do bad things with it. Now if applied to the case the killer may perceive Union Carbine as the *some people* who really need money then do bad things with it a la the disaster… and I say Union Carbine as that is the only link so far between the victims."

Harm turned to his computer clicked a few icons and the song began to play.

"That is an old song Harm where did you get it?" Mac asked as the song filled the room.

"Bud." He replied, "To hear him tell it is to be a techie."

"Don't you love it when he talks tech?" she grinned.

Her smile had an instant effect on him. His heart stopped and he stared. She noted his reaction and became uncomfortable. He turned away as he observed her discomfort. "God! How could I forget that song?" He scanned the lyrics. "So the chorus is listing the sins of Union Carbine?"

"But also it points to the corrupting nature of money. "Mac agreed. "A woman will sell her precious body - For a small piece of paper it carries a lot of weight." She quoted an example. "But what really encompasses he state of mind is the line - I know money is the root of all evil."

"Therefore it may be appropriate to suggest that - Money can drive some people out of their minds – is a reflection of the killer's state of mind." Harm offered. "Our killer cannot be sane by any standard of measurement."

Mac was impressed and said so.

"Since when did you become such a profiler?" He asked.

"Was Du nicht weißt, ist größer als Du!." [What you don't know is greater than you.] She replied and chuckled at the obvious lack of understanding.

Harm signed, gaps in the memory or not. The marine was still a force to be reckoned with.


Part 7

1030 LOCAL
OFFICE OF MI5 – LONDON, ENGLAND

"Please have a seat." The man said. "Agent Webb has asked that we assist and we'll be glad to."

"Thank you." Harm replied. "We understand that you may be able to scan some video tape we have."

"Possible. We tried the technique with the Brixton bombing in 1995. We may be able to assist again. How much do you have?"

"Too much." Mac said. "What I mean is that we have a vast quantity as it's been collected from at least five military bases dating back in some cases to 1989."

"Blimey! You'll be here weeks!" the Agent stated. "I'll put some of the boys onto it with you. But even so it'll take some time."

"Thank you." Harm repeated.

"Not at all. This way." The three stood "… oh and by the way."

"Yes?" Mac said.

"Thanks for not commenting on the name. I get too much as it is. Its refreshing when it's ignored."

She grinned, "You're welcome." She winked at Harm as the agent turned to lead the way.

======================================

1308 LOCAL
OFFICE OF MI5

It had been six weeks since they had begun the search and Mac was ready to quit. Admiral Chedwiggen was having kittens and SECNAV was threatening to draw and quarter them.

On the other hand it had been six weeks of the Tower of London, Hadrian's Wall, the Blarney Stone, Madame Taussauds, Windsor Castle etc. etc. etc.

This morning Mac was watching the results of the last eight-hour scan. "Stop!" She said suddenly.

She stared hard. "Nah!" She whispered. "Officer. Show me the tape for Naval Submarine Base at New London February 24, 1989."

The clip came up. "Stop!" she barked. "Can you print that?"

"Yes ma'am." The agent assured her.

"Can you also print that one?" She pointed to the other screen.

With the assistance of the Agent, Mac ended up with photos of the same man for the dates of the killings at American Bases in Britain, Spain, Cuba, India and the Philippines; as well as Quantico, Norfolk and the Diego Garcia Naval Support Facility off India.

She thanked the Agent and went in search of Harm.

======================================

1409 LOCAL
HARM'S ROOM

She'd finally tracked him.

He stared at the evidence. "You sure?"

She fidgeted. "What does the evidence say?"

"Does the profile fit?"

"We'll need his personal file." Harm said.

"I can't believe it." She replied.

"I know." Harm was grim.

"Pack." She stated.

He nodded. They were returning to India.

======================================

TWO DAYS LATER
1014 LOCAL
BUD'S OFFICE

Mac walked in. "Hey Bud." She said.

"Ma'am! Welcome back! Where's Commander Rabb!"

"On his way to the Ambassador. I still owe you for that!"

Bud chuckled. "Its an initiation rite."

"So you keep saying."

"Its good to have you back, Ma'am." Bud informed her.

"Getting there Bud getting there. I don't think Harm will ever forgive me for calling him Dalton that first time." She grinned at the memory. "You got the file?"

"Yes, and it wasn't easy."

"I can well imagine." She retorted. "What did you find out."

"His record matches. Either vacation or assignment."

"That's not enough to link him to the killings." She stated.

"Yes Ma'am, but this is." Bud handed her a document.

She read. "The last will and testament of Indira Khan? Who's that?"

"Indira Khan is the maternal aunt of Shiva Gandhi. She is… was…. a victim of the Bhopal disaster and died of complications from the exposure in 1986."

"The year of the first killing. That must have been trigger." She surmised.

"That gives us means, motive and opportunity Ma'am." Bud rounded up.

"Damn it!" She cursed. "Even with the photos staring at me I had hoped that the records would counter that. Damn it!"

"What now, Ma'am."

She stared at him. Bud knew the answer but wanted her to say it.

"Now we have Lt. Colonel Shiva Gandhi arrested as an international serial killer." She declared, "Damn it!"

======================================

ONE WEEK LATER
CONFERENCE ROOM
US EMBASSY

The case of Lt. Colonel Gandhi had found itself in the global spotlight. Due to the fact that the murders touched so many countries, the concern in many quarters was not the usual passing interest.

"This is inappropriate Shiva" Mac warned as she sat.

"Mac right now I'm in the brig about to face a firing squad while diplomats and lobbyists decide my fate. The appropriateness of this meeting is the least of my worries."

"What do you want?"

"I didn't do this Mac. We have worked for weeks together… how can you think this of me?! I am NOT a killer!" he appealed. "Help me."

"I wish I could."

He paused. "You don't believe me."

"It has nothing to do with whether I believe you or not. I have a job to do and I shall do it." She explained.

"You are going to prosecute?" He was horrified.

"If ordered to."

His body slumped "I had had hopes of asking you to defend me."

"That is not possible. You are in the Indian Army." She replied.

"But American born."

She stood, indicating the end of the conversation. "I'm sorry Shiva." And with that she left.

To the empty room he said, "So am I. So am I."

======================================

NEXT DAY
AJ CHEDWIGGEN'S OFFICE
US EMBASSY, NEW DELHI

The Admiral had arrived to maintain personal supervision of the situation. His first concern was Mac. "How are you doing?"

"Got a memory like Swiss cheese sir. It's amazing what I do and do not remember. I seem to have a complete grip of my professional life; it's my personal life that is haywire." She stared straight ahead, never once looking at Harm.

"Mmmm" he replied. "And physically?"

"Clean bill of health. Sir." She assured him.

"Good. Good." He nodded. He then faced the three lawyers who were seated before him. "Explain to me how two TADs and a simple murder investigation get blown up into an international incident!?" he held up his hand as Harm attempted to speak. "No, forget it. I don't want to know."

He turned to Bud. "Lt. Roberts, what is the latest with the negotiations?"

Bud stifled his groan. "Sir, General Powell arrived a few days ago and all we know is that he, together with the Ambassador and other international representatives, are locked in negotiations as to what to do."

"Sir, it is our feeling that the Colonel will face an international tribunal." Mac said.

"And the international team that will go with it." He agreed. "You up to it, Mac?"

"YES SIR!" She assured him.

"Sir…" Harm was about to get protective.

AJ stopped him. "Commander how is your international law?"

That stopped him. "Sir?"

"How are your language skills?" AJ pressed.

Mac placed her hand over her mouth to hide her smile that was fast becoming a grin.

"But sir, it's my case." Harm defended.

Mac's shoulders shook with her stifled giggle. AJ ignored her or he'd join her. Instead he said, "True, which is why you'll sit second chair. Experience has shown that if it goes to an international court that the senior presiding judge will be from a non-involved country. My instinct tells me either Russia or Japan. Mac speaks both."

"Aye, Sir." Harm surrendered.

Bud remained silent but the smile he'd been fighting finally peeped through. But as AJ called on him it disappeared. "Lt, Roberts, keep me informed of the outcome of the talks BEFORE the All News Network!"

"Aye sir!"

"Dismissed!"

As they walked out Harm dismissed Bud and drew Mac aside. "I hope you don't think I over stepped my bounds in there."

"You did but I appreciate the sentiment that provoked it."

"If only." He said softly. She heard but made no comment. "Would you have dinner with me tonight?"

She hesitated. Should she be doing this? But she was wildly attracted to him, but he was assuming a relationship she didn't completely remember. "Thank you but I have another appointment." She lied.

"OK." The disappointment was plain to be seen.

======================================

As predicted, the outcome of the negotiations was an International Court. It was to be convened at The Hague. The panel of judges comprised of one of each of the aggrieved countries: America, Britain, Cuba, India, Spain, and The Philippines. As AJ has surmised, the senior presiding judge came from Japan. As four of the six countries were English speakers, the sessions would be conducted in English.

With Mac as the head of the American team, she and Harm joined the international team of prosecutors. Day one of the proceedings set the stage for what was to come.

The defense team of Foster, Foster, Foster, and Foster made a motion for dismissal on the grounds that the case was circumstantial. The motion was challenged and denied by the panel of Judges. The team then moved for dismissal on the grounds that Gandhi was not fit for trial. The debate raged for a week as both teams presented a stream of psychiatrists who debated for and against Gandhi's mental state. Was the man crazy? And did that mean he could not stand trial?

Finally on day eight, the court made its decision. It was a legal body that had to rely on medical expertise that kept canceling each other out, and so the Court was forced to err on the side of caution …

"Since it is the position of Defense Council that Lt. Colonel Shiva Gandhi is not competent to assist with his defense in this matter, this court orders him confined to a psychiatric hospital and to be detained for treatment until such time as he is competent to stand trial."

Judge Nagagawa banged the gavel. Trial over.

======================================

"Well that was short and sweet." Mac said as they walked out the building.

Harm stopped to admire the view. After a few steps Mac realized that she was walking alone. "Harm?" She came back.

"Have you noticed that I relate to you differently than to other personel?"

"Yeees" She drawled and waited.

"There's a reason."

"Oh, I gathered that." She smiled the tension was building.

"Promise me something."

"Tell me."

"I promise not to push so hard, if you promise to go out with me from time to time to allow you time to realize why I relate to you the way I do." He offered.

"I can do that." She promised.

He gave her his full flyboy grin and Mac fell in love.


END
====

Sites Bud settled on:

http://www.ucaqld.com.au/community/bhopal/explain.html
http://www.ucaqld.com.au/community/bhopal/carbide.html
http://www.ucaqld.com.au/community/bhopal/demands.html