Title: When We are Free Men

Author: Perpetual Motion

iwannabedonna@yahoo.com

Fandom: Horatio Hornblower

Pairing: Archie/Horatio implied Archie/Simpson

Rating: PG

Spoilers: "The Duel" and "The Duchess and the Devil"

Summary: Horatio and Archie talk as Archie heals.

Disclaimer: Not mine. All lies.

Author's Notes: First piece of finished HH slash. I've got a William/Horatio that's still in the works. And feedback is like good water at sea, treasured and welcome.



When We are Free Men
By Perpetual Motion




"What did Simpson do to you?" Horatio asked the question as he fed Archie bits of oatmeal, and was not surprised when Archie turned his head away.

"Nothing."

"Archie." He said it softly and drawn out with emphasis on the second syllable.

"It's not your business." Archie's eyes flared with anger and hurt and something very, very close to fright.

Horatio set the bowl and spoon aside and rested his hands lightly on Archie's chest. "I do not ask to embarass or hurt you, Archie. I ask so that I may know if I should have killed him when I had the chance."

"We all should have killed him when we had the chance." Archie wriggled up the bed so that he was sitting mostly upright. He did not seem to notice as Horatio's hands traveled a bit further down his body and rested on his stomach. "He was a wretch and a bastard."

"And a cheat." Horatio resettled himself on the bed so that he was pressing a bit closer to Archie. "Please, tell me, Archie."

"I...it's horrid." Archie's voice dropped to a very soft whisper. "I should not have let it happen."

"What happened?"

"When I first joined the crew of the *Justinian*, no one thought to warn me of Simpson. He was a horribly tempered man, just as he was when you met him, but he had not become as horrid as he ended up being." Archie sucked in a shuddery breath. "On my first leave, he insisted on taking me around to the taverns and introducing me to some hospitality. I became very, very drunk, and ended up saying certain things that gave him certain ideas about me."

Horatio waited for Archie to continue, and when he did not, prompted him gently. "What sorts of ideas?"

"I mentioned, rather foolishly, my fondness for a man I had known before I joined the Navy." Archie jutted his chin towards Horatio in defiance. "It is the type of fondness people frown about. At least, people who aren't Simpson."

Horatio's gut clenched tightly at the thought of what Simpson must have done to Archie. He feared for a moment that he would be ill, but he fought the urge down and focused his gaze on the man in the bed. "I feel it is only fair, since you have trusted me with such a secret on my request, that I should share something as deep as yours, if you request it."

Archie seemed to think on it a moment and finally nodded. "I have admitted to mortal sin. What is yours?"

"When Simpson had me held down and questioned me on my darkest secret, he picked it out straight away." Horatio watched Archie rack his very tired mind for the particulars of that night.

"You mean, when he asked if you fancied other boys?"

"Yes." It felt odd to admit it. Odder still to admit it to a sick man while Horatio very delicately stroked his stomach, but he did it anyway. "I was glad he quickly insulted my mother. It gave me a reason to get as angry as I did."

"Why are you admitting this to me?"

"You asked."

"These types of things could get us both court martialed."

Horatio looked around the prison infirmary. "We'd have to escape here, first."

Archie smiled a bit at that. "I suppose we would."

"And we shall. And when we do," Horatio moved his hands off Archie and picked up the oatmeal again; "you and I shall have another talk, if you wish."

"I do wish."

"Then we shall talk when we are free men."

"And perhaps do other things?" Archie flushed a bit.

Horatio smiled and touched Archie's cheek with two fingers. "Perhaps."



end