Unforbidden
by Sarah Saint Ives
******


Duncan MacLeod landed on his ass, sprawled lamely on the floor. The grace he usually mastered at hand to hand combat was severely lacking. He had taken a tremendous loss this round. In fact, he had lost two out of three. His cheeks were tinged with pink, but he could not help being proud of the exceptional skills of his aspiring student.

Richie stooped to give him a hand up. "Sorry, Mac." he apologized humbly. "Are you okay?"

"I think I'll live." Duncan answered with a droll inflection. "You're getting good, Richie. Maybe I can finally stop worrying about you losing your head."

"Thank you. I owe it all to a very good teacher. Now if I could only stop worrying about *your* head. Maybe we could buy some steel neck braces or something. Wanta do it again?"

"No, Richie. I think you've had enough for one day."

"*I've* had enough?" Richie laughed and gave his shoulders an affectionate squeeze. “So. Are you free tonight?"

"What did you have in mind, Richie?"

"Maybe we could go catch that new movie that's playing?"

MacLeod smiled, patting his cheek. "Okay. What time does it start?"

"Seven."

"That gives us an hour and a half. We'll take turns in the shower. Me first." MacLeod hurried to beat him to the elevator, but before he was there, a familiar voice from the not-so-distant past stopped him.

"Duncan MacLeod! How long does a man hafta stand here before he gets noticed? Where do you think you're goin'?"

Duncan turned, gazing at the shadowed visitor standing against the dojo's entrance and narrowed his eyes in vague recollection. "Reno Raines? Is that really you?"

"You got it."

Duncan laughed and walked slowly toward him, spreading his arms for a hug. "Reno, how are you? It's been a while."

"Yeah, it has, and you know what, Duncan? You don't look a bit older." Reno wrapped his arms around him and hugged him. "It's good to see you, Duncan."

When they drew back to look at one another, Reno smiled. "It's unbelievable. You haven't changed a bit in twenty years."

"I work out."

"So I saw. I also noticed that the boy here was kicking your ass."

"He's getting very good." MacLeod said. "Reno, this is Richie."

Richie reached to shake his hand. "Hi. Glad to meet you." he greeted politely. "Tell you what, Mac, I'll go take a shower and I'll see you in a few minutes, okay?"

"Okay, Richie. Go ahead."

Richie left them with a touch of reluctance, boarding the wooden elevator.

"What's wrong with the kid?" asked Reno.

MacLeod shrugged, gazing after Richie. "Nothing I know of. Why?"

With a shrug in return, Reno dropped it. "Never mind." He shook Duncan by the upper arms, looking him over again. "I still can't believe it. You used to be quite a bit older than me. It looks like I caught up with you. I might have even passed you up."

"I believe you did. My kind doesn't grow old, Reno, didn't I tell you that?"

"I think you mentioned it once." Reno followed him to the dojo floor. "You wanta try me a round? I haven't worked out for a few days."

"All right, if you're prepared for failure." Duncan said cheerfully.

They squared off and began to spar with martial arts moves, finding they were both equally competent. The match went on for several minutes, both men giving and receiving points. Finally, glistening with sweat, Reno bent to grab Duncan, one arm between his legs, the other across the back of his neck, then lifted him over his shoulder. He stopped short of slamming him to the hard floor. "Submit! You're beat, Duncan!"

Duncan's reply came out with a fan-blown effect as Reno bounced. "You cheated! All right, you win this round. But, as they say in the ring....'it ain't over yet!' Reno, that was great! Where did you learn that technique? When did you start wrestling?"

"I learned it by watching professional wrestling on TV." Reno laughed, carefully standing him to the floor.

"Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"I'd love a cup of coffee."

They retired into the office, where MacLeod made a pot of coffee as he began their discussion. "The last time I saw you, you were a smart-mouthed kid who wanted more than anything in the world to be a cop. Tell me what your life's been like since then, Reno."

Reno sat down, reflecting. The last time he had seen Duncan MacLeod, he had been young and dumb. He had said and done things that had made Duncan question his character and his stability. It had not ended well. Reno intended to make amends for what had come between them. His intent was to apologize for the way he had acted impetuously, but at the same time...to make him understand that he had never said anything he had not meant or done anything he was of which he was truly ashamed.

Duncan had been one of his trainers in Kung Fu and Judo. He had learned Kickboxing later, from another teacher. There were many memories these two had shared. They had spent hours and days together, talking and thinking out philosophical things. They had become close and Duncan had confessed his greatest secret to him. He had inadvertantly proven it when he was accidentally shot in the heart during a robbery. He had died in Reno's arms, then, as the young man sat grieving over the loss of his friend, Duncan had opened his eyes, alive again.

Reno could have coped with his immortality if that was all there had been to it, even though it was a lot to ask of a Mortal man to understand. Over the next several weeks, there had been several factors that had driven Duncan away. Now that Reno was older and wiser, it should not be so difficult to talk about. "I was a cop, Duncan. For a few years. Until somebody screwed up my whole life. Let's sit down, and I'll tell you all about it."

Thirty minutes later, they were still talking and finished with the pot of coffee. Richie entered the office, giving MacLeod a strange little smile that told him he was attempting to be patient, but time was pressing.

"Richie," MacLeod elusively glanced at the clock. "It's six o'clock. What time does that movie start?"

"Seven." Richie reminded him, knowing he had not forgotten. "I'll tell you what, Mac. How about if we wait and see it some other time? I couldn't make it any easier for you than that, could I?"

MacLeod met his eyes and saw that he was angry. "Richie, what's wrong with you?" he asked in sincere confusion.

"Nothing is wrong with me. I'm just fine. Fine as frog-hair. I'll see you later, Mac." Richie turned and strode across the dojo.

"Richie, wait!" MacLeod went after him, stopping him before he made it to the door. "Richie!" He turned the young man to face him, frowning in concern. "What is your problem?"

"Nothing." Richie sighed penitently. "I'm sorry. Forget it, okay, Mac? I got a little...jealous, that's all. I'll work on it. This guy's a friend of yours that you haven't seen in a long time. Go ahead and spend the evening with him. I get to see you every day. I'm sorry. Tell him I didn't mean it...I don't want him to think I'm a total asshole. He seems like a nice guy. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

MacLeod smiled at him. "You're growing up in more ways than one, Richie."

Richie nodded. "Yeah. I know. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to."

"I know. But you do. I'll see you tomorrow."

Richie left, and Duncan returned to the office, looking sheepish. "So, Reno...how long are you here for?"

"I don't have plans to stay long. There's something we've got to talk about that should've been resolved years ago." Reno answered. "You were supposed to see a movie with the kid, but instead, you're going to stay here and keep me company? That's why he's so pissed at you?"

"He asked me to apologize for him. Don't worry about him. He'll get over it."

"Maybe not. I didn't."

"Why? Because I pushed you away?"

"Because you turned your back on me."

"Reno, I did not turn my back on you. I did what I had to do."

Reno nodded. "Was it because I was a kid, or because I wasn't an immortal?"

Duncan shook his head. "Let's not talk about this, Reno."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like where it's leading!" MacLeod hit the desk with the side of his fist. "Don't bring it up again, Reno! It was the reason I left!"

Reno went to him, undaunted by his frustration, and took him by the shoulders again. "Okay. We'll forget what happened in the past. But it doesn't change the way I feel. That part of me never changed. Now that I see you again, now that I’m touching you, I realize I still want you."

Duncan closed his eyes and lowered his head. "It was a childish fantasy." he said infirmly. "You were nineteen, Reno."

"Well, it’s twenty years later now. I'm not a kid any more. But you know what? I still carry that 'childish fantasy' around with me. I looked for you everywhere for a long time. I found you about twelve years ago, but there were other circumstances that kept me away." Reno caught him by the chin and raised his face. "Look at me, Duncan."

Duncan stubbornly refused to open his eyes. "I can't." he answered.

Reno pulled him close and kissed him, finding he was not to be won easily. Duncan's lips were warm and soft, but not quite willing. He was frantically backing away, fighting the intimacy. With determination, Reno forced the issue, kissing him again with passion and holding it as long as possible. This strategy worked. Before it was over, Duncan had surrendered to him and was returning the kiss.

Reno held him like a lover, touched his hair, carressed his back, kissed his lips again and again. He was getting short of breath, his blood boiled with unrestrained lust. Duncan's hands were inside his shirt massaging his back, his neck and the fingertips were moving into Reno's long hair, massaging his scalp. Reno kissed him again, then drew back to look into his wide, dark eyes. "Oh, Duncan. You wanted this, too. I knew it wasn't all just me." he whispered.

Duncan swallowed with a shiver. "Let's go to my place." he said hoarsely. "It's upstairs. We need a shower."

It was a warm shower they shared as they lathered their firm bodies with soap, taking in the sight of one another with appreciation. When MacLeod placed his cheek against the cool tile to allow Reno to wash his back, he murmured, "We shouldn't be doing this. It isn't right."

Reno glided the bar of soap down his narrow but muscular back to his round, well-made butt. Oblivious to what Duncan had said, he slid the soap along the crack and took his time with the endeavor. When he placed the soap back in its dish, he rinsed the lather away with firm but gently exploring fingers.

As those hands traveled back up his body, Duncan turned to face him again, and was rewarded with another series of hot, steamy kisses. There was no more control. He could feel Reno's need for him and knew there was no turning back.

They dried themselves and went to Duncan's bed, snuggling close together beneath the covers. Reno was smothering him with passionate kisses that went on and on. Breathless but still holding to some reservations, Duncan tried once more to reason with him. "This is wrong, Reno."

Reno kissed him to quiet him, but it tormented him. "Why is it so wrong? I want you. If you want me, too, and I know you *do*... why is it wrong, Duncan?"

Duncan's deep eyes studied him softly. "We're not supposed to be together like this. It isn't meant to be."

"Why not?" Reno demanded. "Like I asked you before, is it because you knew me as a child, or because I'm not 'one of you'."

"Neither, Reno. It's because we..." Duncan shook his head as Reno's face came very close. "It's...it's because..." He closed his eyes in anguish as Reno's lips brushed over his and he felt his hot breath against his throat. The temptation was overwhelming his reason. He could not fight it. At this point, even if he flatly refused, he was sure Reno would take what he wanted anyway. He would not have the strength to refuse. He wanted Reno. He had always wanted him. "Maybe...maybe it's not so wrong."

Reno smiled and kissed him again. "I didn't think you'd come up with any good reason." he said.

Duncan tried to laugh but it came out like a sob. "No. No good reason." he concluded.

Reno pulled the covers over their heads and they spent the rest of the evening doing gentle things to please one another.

***

It was still dark outside when Duncan's eyes opened drowsily. He was lying on his side with Reno snuggled close against his back. He hated to ruin the comfort, but he could feel the distant presence of another immortal, and it was getting nearer. "Richie's on his way up." he said, wearily attempting to move Reno's arms from around him. "Reno, I've got to get up and get my clothes on before he gets here."

Reno did not move.

"Reno!" Duncan shook him. "Let me up. Wake up, Reno."

Reno sighed bitterly. "Okay, get your clothes on."

Duncan was pulling on jeans, then houseshoes. He reached for a shirt but Reno pulled him into the pillow again and kissed him gently. "Reno! He's coming up in the elevator!"

"Okay, go." Reno released him and Duncan put on the shirt as he hurried toward the front entrance of the apartment. Reno leaped from the bed and escaped into the bathroom.

MacLeod met Richie as he came through the front door. "Richie, why are you here so early? It's only six o'clock."

"I couldn't sleep. I was hoping we could talk. Is it too early?"

"No, of course not. Sit down, Richie. What's on your mind?" He indicated the couch.

Richie sat down, taking note of MacLeod's nervousness. "What's goin' on, Mac? Is your friend, Reno still here?"

"Yes, he spent the night." Duncan tried to sound casual as he sat beside him. "We had a lot of old times to reminisce."

Richie took a deep breath and began what he had to say. "Mac, I have to tell you again how sorry I am about the way I acted yesterday."

"It's okay, Richie. No problem."

"And...if you wanta go see that movie *tonight*, Reno's welcome to come along."

"I can ask him."

"Ask me what?" Reno came from the bathroom in a robe, plodding barefoot to the chair that faced the couch.

"Richie has invited you to come with us to a movie tonight." MacLeod repeated.

Reno smiled. "Yeah, that would be fun. Thanks, Richie."

Richie smiled back, studying him with uncertainty. "It'll be great."

Reno glanced toward the kitchen. "Do you have a coffee pot over there, Duncan? I don't smell any coffee yet."

With a tired smile, Duncan got up to go into the kitchen. "I can take a hint. While I'm in here, is anybody hungry?"

"Yeah, now that you mention it." Reno answered. "I'd like to have some sausage, scrambled eggs and toast. How about you, Richie? Are you hungry?"

"Sounds good." Richie agreed, turning his attention for the moment on Duncan. "Are you all right, Mac?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Richie. Why?"

"You seem...I don't know...different this morning. You look tired."

"No, I'm okay."

"Were you two up all night talking?"

"Well...sort of." Duncan saw the amusement on Reno's face at the question and the answer.

"I shouldn't have come so early." Richie said.

"Richie, you're here." Duncan did not want to make him feel unwelcome. "Stop apologizing for everything. Believe me, sleep is the last thing on my mind right now."

Reno laughed out loud, which got Richie's quick attention.

MacLeod scowled and began with the coffee, listening in silence to the conversation that no longer included him.

"So, Richie, what kind of sports do you like?"

"Motocross." Richie spoke up with enthusiasm.

"Really? Me, too. I watched that last Motocross International in Rapid Falls. That was really tense, man. I didn't think Jim Haley was gonna pull that one off. He lost his kneecap during that race, you know."

"Yeah, I know. I really thought Evan Burns had him beat there for a while."

"You got a bike?"

"Yeah, it's downstairs."

"Me, too. It's the Harley with the flames on the gas tank."

"Oh, man! That's your bike! Cool! Can we go take a look at it?"

"Yeah, sure. Let me get my clothes on and we'll walk down. We might go for a ride together later." Reno got up and went into the bathroom again.

MacLeod stared after him, then at Richie, who had been thoroughly impressed by Reno. Rolling his eyes, MacLeod went on with breakfast.

They did not return until breakfast was getting cold. Duncan was sitting on the couch, picking with his fork at scrambled eggs on a plate. "I'm glad you two have a common interest, but you did ask for this breakfast." he said.

They grabbed their plates and dug in, still talking motorcycles. "That is one cool Harley." Richie said, excitedly jabbing Duncan in the ribs with his elbow. "Reno's gonna let me ride it later today!"

"That's nice of you, Reno." Duncan commended.

"There's a motocross race Saturday night at the racetrack." Richie went on. His elbow recklessly grazed Duncan's side again. "Are you gonna be here that long, Reno?"

"Yeah, sure. Duncan and I have a lot more talking to do. We can go to the race. That'll be great." He glanced at MacLeod's sullen face and gave him an expression of question. "Right, Duncan?"

MacLeod sighed out loud, rubbing his ribs. "Right."

"What's wrong, Mac?" Richie asked.

"Nothing." MacLeod put down his plate and went outside onto the sparse balcony, which was truthfully the top landing of the fire escape. Reno followed him, holding up a hand that bade Richie to wait.

"Duncan, I'll ask this once more." Reno caught him and turned him in his arms, causing the rusty metal to shake beneath their feet. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong. You realize that if you aren't very careful, you run the risk of becoming his hero. I'm happy that Richie likes you, and I'm glad you both like motocross. I just hope he doesn’t become infatuated with you. He’s an immortal, but he’s very naive."

"You think I'm gonna make a play for the kid? No way, Duncan! Don't worry. You're the only one I want. What do you think I am, anyway? I'm not a child molester."

"He's not a child."

"Duncan, do you think I make a habit out of this kind of behavior? You're the only immortal I've ever been with...and the only man." Reno kissed him again. "I told you, I always wanted you. Just you. Nobody else."

"I didn't mean to act like I thought..."

"Forget it. I know you're trying to protect him. That kinda...turns me on. In fact, everything you do turns me on. Just watching you fix breakfast, you know...when you bent over to get a pan out of the cupboard, if Richie hadn't been there, you wouldn't have been safe. No man ever turned me on like that but you." He kissed him again. "Let's go back to bed for a couple of hours. How about it?"

"Richie's here." Duncan reminded him.

"Richie's a great kid, Duncan. I know how much you care about him but...does he hang around here all the time?"

"A lot of the time, yes."

"I'll give him the key to my Harley and let him ride it."

MacLeod nodded in approval. "He'd like that."

"So would I." Reno said with a suggestive smile. He went inside and returned a few minutes later, pulling Duncan into the studio apartment, unbuttoning his shirt as he took him to the bed. "He's gone for a while. We have an hour, maybe more. Come on."

Reno's lips carressed his chest, his throat, then his face. Duncan moaned with pleasure, caught his head in his hands and kissed him ardently. Reno's hands were all over his body and it felt good. The lovemaking was like a drug, taking them higher and higher until they were at a peak of intensity, until only their physical bodies were left lying together on the bed. Their spirits soared above them, dancing on the clouds, making love in the sky. They didn't know how long it lasted because time, for a while, was as unimportant to them as the rest of the elements. All that mattered was that they were together in their passion.

Suddenly, Duncan was struck by the presence again. With another abstracted moan, he said, "Richie's back already."

Reno got up to look out the window. "No he's not. The bike's not down there. Your radar's on the fritz, Duncan."

Duncan stared at him in foreboding. "If it's not Richie, then who could it be?"

There was a knock at the door.

"Do you get interrupted like this all the time, Duncan?"

"Well, I get occasional company, but then...it's not normally an interruption. Like you, I don't make a practice of this kind of behavior. I have to see who's at the door." MacLeod was pulling on his pants again.

"Why? Why do you have to see who's there? Just pretend you're gone."

"Whoever it is knows better. It goes both ways."

Reno groaned and got up, staring at him in wonder as he paused to get his sword before he answered the door. Sliding a hand inside a duffle bag, Reno brought out a .45 Magnum pistol and laid it on the bed as he got dressed. "Wait for me. I'll back you up."

Duncan answered the door to a very tall, strange-looking black man who smiled at him with a mouthful of diamond-studded teeth. "Buck!" He gave the new arrival a welcoming hug, which put Reno's trigger finger at ease. "Come in! Where have you been keeping yourself?"

Buck knew immediately that he had arrived at an inopportune moment. "I cannot stay. I merely stopped to ask you to dine with me this evening at Sarde's on Fifth. Can you come?" His thick mix of the African-British broagues rolled off his tongue with eloquence and charm.

Duncan tried to think, but his mind was still reeling from the effects of the cloud-dancing. "I have company, Buck. I..."

Reno was standing behind him. "We promised Richie the movie tonight." he reminded him.

"Yes, that's right." MacLeod gazed at his tall visitor. "What is it, Buck? What's going on?"

Buck bowed his head. "Introduce me to the gentleman." he said quietly.

"I'm sorry. Thomas Buckley, this is Reno Raines."

Buck took one lanky step to shake Reno's hand. "Originally from South Africa." he added with a genial nod of his head.

Reno smiled with perception. "You have bad news for Duncan, don't you?"

"I'm afraid so."

"What, Buck?" Duncan asked.

"Lars Kingston. Two weeks ago."

Duncan closed his eyes and collapsed against the wall. Reno gripped his arm to steady him and led him to the couch, speaking in his behalf. "Sit down, Thomas."

"Call me Buck." Buck took the chair, watching them closely. "He was once very close to Lars. I knew he would not take it well."

Reno nodded as if he understood, pushing Duncan's long, loose hair back from his face to see that his eyes were open, but that he was lost in some faraway flashback. Reno did not disturb his private memory, and for honored moments, neither did Buck. Both men sat in patient silence, giving him time to return to the present.

Finally, Buck leaned forward in the chair, speaking softly to MacLeod. "Do you want me to tell you the details, Duncan? Come back to us now and I'll explain."

Duncan's eyes focused slowly on his smooth, dark face. "Who killed him?"

"A lady named Iasta. Have you heard of her?"

"Iasta. Yes, I’ve heard of her...I've never met her. Amanda mentioned an encounter with her."

"Oh, yes, Iasta has been around for centuries. You're lucky you haven't encountered her yourself."

"Where? Where did it happen?"

"In New York. I heard that Lars was on his way here...to see you."

Duncan's eyes opened wide in surprise. "He was coming here? Why?"

"To warn you that she's coming for you. She's after your head, Duncan. She wants your powers."

Reno cleared his throat, awed by the incredulity of the story. "Who is this lady, Iasta, Buck? Tell me what this means."

Buck glanced at him, then at Duncan for affirmation. MacLeod nodded, so Buck turned to Reno with the information. "Iasta is the most powerful female immortal in the world as far as I know. She had taken more heads than any of us...than any ten of us. She uses trickery and deceipt, but her tactics work. She's a beautiful woman and she uses that beauty to her advantage. Whoever takes her head will win more power than they ever dreamed existed. She has so much power, but she is always looking for more. More strength, more knowledge, more heads. She can't get enough. She's a true Player of the Game. She wants Duncan, and she wants me."

"I know that Duncan has lived about four hundred years." Reno said. "How old are you, Buck?"

"Two thousand, six hundred and eighty years. Approximately, give or take a month." Buck flashed him a glittering smile. "I never acquired the exact date."

Reno's jaw dropped. "No wonder she wants your head. Two thousand six hundred..."

"And eighty." Buck finished it for him. "That's to my knowledge. I could be even older." He stretched his long arm across to Duncan's knee and patted it. His hand was so large that he could almost circle and touch his extensive fingers together around the leg. "To our knowledge, I am second oldest...after Methos. But Iasta is not far behind me. No one knows her age. I met her first in Asia, nearly two thousand years ago, before she gained such extreme power. She was provocative, so utterly and so profound that I fell hopelessly in love with her. I was a slave to her enchantment."

"How could you love her?" Duncan demanded emotionally. "She is wicked!"

Buck nodded in agreement. "Aren't we all? Haven't you also killed? Haven't you also used deceipt? Can you honestly say you are justified in taking so many heads?"

"There can be only one!" Duncan shot back.

"She lives by that same rule. How are you different?"

"She kills hapless men like you who are stupid enough to fall in love with her. And she kills for power. You’re fortunate still to be in possession of your head!"

"What's your reason for killing, Duncan?"

"Self defense."

"How many heads have you taken in the name of self defense, Duncan?"

The words stung. "Too many." MacLeod admitted, humbler. "You're right, Buck. I have no excuse. But what choice do we have? As long as we remain in the Game, we're forced to fight. If I had not fought, I would have lost my head years ago."

"I have not taken a head in almost a thousand years. How is it that I can escape the wrath that is so frequently yours, Duncan? Do you want me to tell you why?"

"Yes, tell me since you know so much."

"Because you invite it. You practice daily with the sword, you make yourself able and stand ready. Your face is the epitome of all that is defiant, all that challenges. You have made yourself a warrior, and you enjoy it."

"No, I don't enjoy it."

"Then why do you live this way, Duncan? Why do you keep killing?"

"How can I stop?"

"If nothing else, move to Holy Ground. Live there and you will live in peace."

"Are you suggesting I do this before Iasta arrives here to take my head?"

"It would not be a bad idea."

Reno's arms closed around him as he kissed his ear. "Holy Ground sounds like a good place for us right now. Let's go away for a while, Duncan. What do you say?"

Duncan looked sadly into his eyes, letting a tear course down his cheek. He did not bother to wipe it away. "Reno, you have to leave. I don't want you in danger."

Buck was shaking his long, twisted hair. "You're going to fight her. I knew it."

"I'm not leaving as long as *you’re* in danger." Reno said.

"He's *always* in danger." said Buck. "Talk to him Reno. If you love him as much as I think you do, make him listen. Take him away from here. Chances are, she will beat him. He’ll lose his head, the world will lose one precious immortal, and retain one so dangerous the future is perilous for all humanity."

Reno nodded with assurance. "Duncan, I'll leave, if you'll come with me."

Duncan's eyes were swimming with remorse. "I can't Reno. I'm sorry. I can't." He tore away from him, retrieved his sword and fled to the window beside the bed.

Reno rose to go after him, but Buck stopped him. "Give him time to think about it. Perhaps he will ...as they say...come to his senses?"

"Do you think?"

"He wants to kill her because she killed his friend."

"Tell me about Lars." Reno requested.

"They were close. Not as close as you and Duncan obviously are, but close. They served together in the first world war. They were prisoners of war...together all along."

"Then I understand his need for revenge."

"His 'need' for revenge has driven him into combat many times. But he may not win this time, Reno. I am afraid you will lose your lover if he accepts this woman’s challenge."

"How can you be so sure? Duncan's pretty good with that sword, ain't he?"

"Very good. But Iasta is better."

"What if I whacked him over the head with the butt of my .45 and took him to Holy Ground? I could keep him tied up there until she leaves. He would be alive."

"For a short time. But he may grow to resent you. You don’t want that, do you?"

"If it keeps him alive."

"As much as I'm tempted to agree, I'm afraid it would only postpone the inevitable. You can't stop it from happening, Reno. You're mortal. I sense that he deeply loves you....he has loved many mortals...but the fact remains, to be terribly blunt, that you will get old and you will die. If he doesn’t lose his head, he will always be the same. He will not change his way of life for you. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do if he makes up his mind to fight her."

Reno sighed. "Do you think he really wants me to leave?"

"No. No, he doesn't want you to leave. But he doesn't want you in the middle of immortal combat. He's afraid she will kill you to hurt him." Buck stood, watching the door. "Someone is here."

MacLeod came from his musings, holding the sword ready as his wet eyes trained on the door. "Reno..." he began.

Reno raised the .45, ready for whatever happened next, but it was Richie who walked in, stopping short as he took in the state of the room. "Hey!" he greeted with subdued casualty. "What's up, guys?"

MacLeod shook his head and sobbed out loud. "You're in danger, too, Richie. Why did I think I could live a normal life?" He went into the bathroom and closed the door.

Richie stared after him in confusion. "Is somebody gonna tell me what's wrong with him?"

Reno patted the couch beside him and Richie sat down, handing him the key to the Harley. Buck was the one who spoke. "He is troubled over the death of a friend. Someone you never met."

"Is there anything I can do?" Richie asked in concern.

"Probably not. At least not right now. Your time will come...if you survive long enough." Buck said, standing to his full six feet seven inches. "I have to go now, but I will be in touch. The two of you be careful and keep an eye on Duncan, all right?"

"Always." Richie answered. "See you later, Buck."

Buck patted his shoulder and shook Reno's hand again. "It was good to meet you." With a secretive wink, he let himself out.

"So..." Richie searched Reno's troubled face for an answer. "Why do I get the feeling you're not telling me everything?"

"Ask Duncan when he comes out."

"Okay. I will." Richie said. "By the way, I love your bike and so does Jade."

"Who is Jade?" Reno asked with a smile.

"This girl I met yesterday. She's an absolute babe. I saw her at the corner this morning, so I stopped and gave her a ride on the Harley. She loved it."

"I didn't say you could have passengers on there. What if you had crashed it? You're an immortal, so you wouldn't get killed, but..."

"She's an immortal, too. A beautiful one." Richie's eyes showed he was smitten.

Reno narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "What did you say her name was again?"

"Jade."

Duncan came from the bathroom, having overheard the conversation. "What does Jade look like, Richie?"

"She's beautiful." Richie repeated.

"I mean...describe her."

"She's...she's black. With a kind of British accent, maybe. Big, big eyes...about five feet six, a hundred twenty pounds..."

"Iasta." MacLeod interrupted.

"What?" Richie did not understand. "What does that mean?"

"Iasta. It's her name. Iasta. And she's here for my head."

Richie shook his head in denial. "No, no, Mac. You have to be wrong. Her name is Jade. She doesn't even know you!"

Reno gave Richie an open-handed uppercut to the back of his head. "Listen to him, Richie. Listen to this story he's gonna tell you now and tell us that lady isn't Iasta."

Richie listened and when the story was told, he sat thinking about it. Reno watched him for signs of intelligence, but when he showed none, he asked impatiently, "Do you understand now, Richie? Have you told her about Duncan?"

"We talked about him, yeah." Richie remembered. "But, Mac, how can you be so sure that she is Iasta? You said yourself that you've never actually met her face to face."

"I know her by reputation and through mutual acquaintances." answered MacLeod as he shined the blade of his sword.

"She didn't seem the least bit interested in you. But she's interested in me." Richie was smiling at what it suggested.

"Stay away from her, Richie. Don't go out again."

Richie got up and went to him with curiosity. "You want me to stay here where it's safe while you go out looking for her? Right?"

"Yeah, that's right. Better yet, you and Reno take your bikes and leave. Go far away and don't come back. I hear the weather is good in Florida."

"Yeah, sure, Mac. We just take off and leave. We shouldn't care what happens to you after we're gone, right? Do you really think we could do that?"

"If you value your life, you will."

"Mac, I value your life, too." Richie said, putting a hand to his moist cheek.

MacLeod let out a trembling breath and turned his back to him. "Go, Richie. Reno, go with him. Both of you...just go."

Richie angrily caught his arm and whirled him around to face him. "Okay, Mac! I'm going! Why do you have to be so mule-headed? Sometimes you can be a real asshole. You have friends who care, who *love* you, but you keep pushing them out of your life because you live by this set of messed up, twisted rules that aren't even in the code book for immortals. You *deserve* to be alone, do you know that?" Abruptly, Richie turned away from him and strode out the door, slamming it behind him.

MacLeod stood benignly staring at the floor. Reno went to him, took him in his arms and held him close. "Duncan, think about it. You and I can have this time together if you'll just come away with me now. Why do you have to fight this Iasta now? Richie's emotional, but he's right. There are no rules on this one. Come with me."

"Richie's in danger." MacLeod said. "He's young and stupid. He'll go straight to Iasta and she'll take his head."

Reno drew a long sigh. "Shit." he mumbled. "I'll go after him." He ran to catch him, missing him by seconds as the red and black motorcycle zigzagged away.

MacLeod came from the building, pulling on a long coat that hid his sword. "Follow him, Reno. We have to find him."

They followed on the Harley, but there was heavy traffic, and Reno's bike was bigger that Richie's, hindering their chase. They were forced to stop at red lights and to wait for left turners. It was clear they had lost Richie. Maybe forever.

They rode around for half an hour, but the search looked hopeless until Duncan shouted as they passed the bridge over the shore of the Columbia River. "Richie's bike!"

Reno put his foot on the ground and spun the big Harley around, guiding it up a steep concrete slope. They didn't see Richie until they were at the top. He was on the ground below them, sword fighting with Iasta.

"Oh, shit." Reno said again. The Harley sped along, dipping into a stretch of rubble that was behind another rise ahead of them, one that obstructed their view of the combat.

"Hurry, Reno!" MacLeod's voice was urgent.

Suddenly, lightning began to burst from the combat site, bolt after bolt of immortal essence that was transferring the power from one being to another. It lit the sky, made tremendous noise, and began to melt the metal of the bridge.

Reno saw the bridge begin to crumble and quickly changed the bike's direction to keep from being crushed. They were out of harm's way before the front wheel hit a slick spot and he lost control of the motorcycle, overturning and sliding to a sideways halt. They had lost sight of Richie and Iasta. The fallen bridge now hid them completely.

Duncan pressed his face against Reno's back and avoided watching the rest of the quickening, which seemed to go abnormally on and on. Reno sat mesmerized by it, taking in the wonders of this exclusive race. "Duncan, are you all right?"

"Richie." It was all he had the strength to say.

"I know. Let's get the bike up." Reno said softly. They set it on its wheels again, and Reno put his arms consolingly around Duncan. "You wanta ride down there?"

Duncan nodded mutely, so they got back on the machine and rode listlessly around the broken bridge to the waterfront. At first, it looked as if nothing had survived, but then Duncan felt the presence. His hand rested ready on the sword at his side.

As the bike coasted around a huge twist of metal, they could vaguely see the woman floating far out in the water. Richie's form came into view. He was lying in the mud a few yards away, his sword still in his hand. Duncan was off the motorcycle before it stopped, running to him. Richie's coat had tossed above his head...the head that was obviously no longer there.

Duncan went to his knees to mourn, but the figure beneath his hands began to move. Frightened at first, Duncan jumped back, then, realizing what it meant, he yanked the coat down to see that Richie's head was still connected. The significance of it dawned on him and Duncan MacLeod was astonished out of his mind. Richie had beaten her! He had won! That incredible power of Iasta's now belonged to Richie, his protege, his student!

Richie struggled to sit up and Duncan helped him, hugging him hard. "How did you beat her, Richie?" he asked, thankful he was alive. "She was Iasta, wasn't she?"

"Yes, she was Iasta." Richie answered. "You were right...as usual."

"How did you beat her?"

Richie leaned on him, taking his time to overcome his weakened condition. "I had a very good teacher." he answered, smiling at him.

***

Richie came fresh from the shower, gazing at MacLeod with eyes that showed more wisdom. "You and I need to talk." he said.

"All right." MacLeod waited.

Richie looked him over, then glanced at Reno. "Not now. Tomorrow maybe. What we have to talk about can wait until we have the time. And we will have our time."

"Richie, do you understand that you now have awesome powers and knowledge that will bring others after you? When they hear that you took Iasta's head, they will be after yours."

Richie smiled. "I know. And I'll be here, waiting for them when they get here."

"Richie..." Duncan's eyes were beseeching.

"You see how it feels?" Richie said, taking him by the hands. "When someone you care about is so heedless of his own safety because of mulish pride? How helpless do you feel, Mac? How frustrating is it?" He picked up his sword as he headed for the door. "I'll be back in a couple of hours. I'll give the two of you some time alone. But don't forget that we have a date to go to the movies tonight. I intend to hold you to it this time. I'll be here at six-fifteen."

When he was gone, Reno nodded. "He gained a little intelligence I believe." He turned his attention to Duncan, taking him in his arms and kissing him passionately.

Behind their backs, the door opened an inch and Richie, peeping in, witnessed their kiss. When they had gone to bed again, he closed the door and left. His mind was turbulent with emotions, a potpourri of everything new and some things that weren't. He had Iasta's power and her knowledge, but the heaviest emotion had nothing to do with what he had gained from Iasta. He liked Reno. Who wouldn't? He was great, but Richie hoped he wouldn't stay long. He would keep the jealousy to himself and bide his time because time was the thing he had that Reno did not.

He was an ultimately powerful immortal and his plan for the near future was to be out of the game. He had no interest in taking more heads. He found himself in agreement with Buck's principles, to live and let live and to convince Duncan of the same values if it were possible.

***

They had spent two passionate weeks together, but Reno could not stay. He was packed and ready to leave. All that was left was to say good-bye to Duncan. Richie had already said his good-byes and was waiting in the dojo office.

"I wish you wouldn't go." Duncan said, sticking out his lower lip in a pout. "You know I want you."

Reno kissed him again and ran a gentle finger down his cheek. "I love you." he said softly. "But I have to go. We're too different. There are too many things in our separate lives that can't be resolved right now. Yours is no worse than mine. Maybe things will change and I can come back some day."

"Come back any day." Duncan closed his eyes for another kiss.

"Richie needs you the same way, Duncan. Do you know that?"

Duncan's expression was proof that he was unaware of the fact. "Reno, he's like my son. You know that."

"I know what he feels, Duncan. I know because he's a lot like I was at his age. You just have that effect on certain people."

Duncan had nothing to say. He simply gazed into Reno's eyes with rueful tenderness as he pulled him close in a loving embrace.

"I wish I was immortal so I could stay with you for a couple of hundred years or so. But, unlike Richie, I'm not like you. I have no lasting claim on your life. I couldn't get that lucky."

"Don't give me that, Reno. *You're* the one who's walking out on me." Duncan reminded him.

"Yeah, I am. And I'm sorry." Reno gave him one last, long, lingering kiss, then walked away.

Duncan went to the dojo, looking out the door to watch Reno's departure as he rode the Harley down the street and out of his life. He turned to see Richie waiting patiently in the office and went to talk to him. "He's gone."

Richie shook his head. "Why did you let him go?"

"Because it's for the best I suppose."

"You love him. Who's to say what's for the best, Mac?"

"He left of his own will, not mine. I wanted him to stay."

"I know."

Their eyes met and they held the contact for a long time. Finally, MacLeod said, "You know, you look like Richie, you sound like Richie, but you are so different."

"No, I'm not. I'm the same. Just a little more information in there, that's all." Richie grinned at him and patted him on the cheek. "So...what are your plans for the rest of the day?"

Duncan shrugged. "Whatever."

"Would you like to take a boat ride with me out to the island?"

"The island?"

"Yeah. Unless you just wanta be alone right now."

MacLeod stared at him, wondering. "No, I'd really rather not be alone right now." he said. "The island sounds like a good place for you and me to have that talk you mentioned earlier." He reached for his coat. The sword was upstairs, but he wouldn't need it. Where they were going was on Holy Ground. "Let's go."

Richie smiled and stepped ahead to open the door for him.



~the end~