Title: The Aftermath

Archive: Any lists I send it to. Those with previous permission and my site Beyond Canon.

Author: Caliadragon

Pairing: Cupid/Strife

Part of 7 the Truth Series

Rated R

Feedback: caliadragon@yahoo.com or on list

Warnings: Mentions of Rape and murder.

Summary: More truths are revealed and another murder is made known.



The Aftermath
by Caliadragon

Strife sat quietly on the garden bench and watched his family as they warily circled one another. Hercules had yet to say a word to anyone. He sat in a dazed silence looking around him in confusion. Each time his gaze fell on Hera he would flinch. Gabrielle was looking at her fathers with a pain filled glance. She had yet to go to them though. Iolous was siting with his head in
his hands. The blond hunter seemed to be in as bad a shape as Hercules.

Xena seemed to be coping with the news better than the other three, but with Xena it was hard to tell. She was talking quietly with Ares and Joxer. Strife was amused to see that she was holding Joxer's hand tightly in hers. It seemed she took to the truth well.

Strife smiled and leaned back into the arms that came around him.

"You okay babe?" Cupid asked in concern. today had been really rough on everyone. Cupid had also noticed the way the four heros were reacting.

Strife was about to answer when he saw Hercules stand and head straight to Hera. Hera's face went guarded as she expected Hercules to attack her. None of them knew that Zeus' loss of godhood freed the control he had on the man's mind. Or that it also released the spell over Iolous and Gabrielle.

Hera held herself still expecting Hercules to lash out at her. She was pleasantly surprised when he gently took her hand in his. "I hope that you can forgive me Grandmother. I don't know why I believed him. All of the times he's lied or used me for his purposes and I still believed in him. Your godhood should have been a clue to me." Hercules' voice broke and he began to shake with silent sobs. He was surprised when he was gently turned and pulled into strong arms.

Joxer held his son for the first time and let him weep in his arms. It had been so hard to play the fool just so he could be near his beautiful children. To be near them and unable to tell them the truth. It had been even harder for him to bear the sight of his beloved Ares and never touch him. It was somewhat amusing to know that Xena took her being his child almost immediately.

He was worried about Iolous and Gabrielle though. Their parents wanted to go to them, but were afraid of their reactions. For Gabrielle it would be the hardest. She had fought against both of them at one time or another. Joxer hoped that the two would be able to accept them eventually.

Iolous couldn't bring himself to look up. Memories and pain were burning through his body. Silent tears fell down his cheeks. How could he ever face his family and friends again? How could he face Gabrielle? Iolous felt dirty and ashamed. He wished he had never remembered. Why had these memories come to him now? He turned his head to the side and looked at Gabrielle. as their eyes locked sobs tore from the pair and they both ran in opposite directions. Neither able to face the other in their shame.

Iolous found himself caught up in Jace's arms. Across the room Jett held Gabrielle in his arms as pain filled sobs rent her body. Iolous screamed out his rage and pain. The pair struggled to free themselves. Both wanting to hide from the truth and their shame.

The room had fallen silent and all attention was turned to the two blondes as they began to lose control. Ace and Apollo both headed for one of the pair. When Ace reached Iolous he laid a gentle hand on his head and put him into a deep sleep. Across the room Apollo was doing the same with Gabrielle.

Each healer gently probed the mind of their patient. What they found saddened and sickened them. Apollo conjured up beds and the healers placed their charges upon them. the pair wondered how they were going to tell their family of the latest of Zeus' perversion.

Apollo was finally the one to tell them what he found. "Hope was their child."

"What? What are you talking about?" Xena demanded.

"Zeus changed the memories of everyone involved. He took Iolous and Gabrielle when you and Hercules went to visit your mortal relatives. I will not tell you what he did to them, but he.... he hurt them badly. Later when Gabrielle gave birth to Hope he twisted your mind Xena and made you believe that hope was evil. Every murder blamed on Hope was Zeus. Both Solan and Hope were innocent children. The older version of Hope was actually Zeus in disguise."

Apollo then turned to Hades. The older god looked stunned. "That's why they did not come to me." he murmured.

Xena snarled, "Where are they? Where are our children?"

"They are in the void." the Fates answered.

"Why didn't this come out at the trial?" Eris demanded.

"It was not time then, now it is." Clotho told her.

"Time for what?" Hercules demanded.

"Time for the rebirth of justice and hope. time for the return of the four of you." Clotho answered again.

Then as one the three sisters took a step forward. In the hands of the Maiden to small lights appeared. She gently lowered the lights over Gabrielle and Iolous. Those watching felt a shiver in the air and then felt the birth of four new gods.

The Fates took a step back and in one voice spoke. "Centuries ago a prophecy was spoken today it has come to pass. The Sky God has fallen and Marriage abdicated. In their place War and Peace now rule. The four children of Olympus have returned to take their rightful place and two stolen will be reborn. These changes will help us withstand the Twilight. Hercules is now the God of War. Iolous, his consort is the God of Peace. Xena is the Goddess of Truth. Gabrielle, her consort is the Goddess of Innocence. Born to War and Peace will be Hope. Born to Truth and Innocence will be Justice."

Silence reigned for several minutes then Strife spoke up. "So does this mean we get ta keep 'em?"

Everyone turned to look at Strife, he grinned in response and wiggled his eyebrows. Laughter filled the room and Strife smiled. This was how his family should be.



The End For Now