Title: Seeking Balance

Author: Scribe

Fandom: Xena: Warrior Princes/Hercules, the Legendery Journies

Pairing: Ares/Joxer

Rating: NC17

Summary:

Archive: Yes, but tell me where.

Feedback: poet77665@yahoo.com

Sequel/Series: No, but sort of an offshoot of the Love and Mischief Series.

Disclaimer: I did not create the characters here, I don't own them. I derive no profit from this effort. I mean nothing but respect for the creators, owners, and the actors and actresses who portray them.

Websites: http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/scribescribbles and http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/foxluver

Notes: I love writing Cupid/Strife. I do a lot of it. I've only done Ares/Joxer as peripheral to the Love and Mischief Series, and one song fic. I feel like I'm neglecting the boys, and thought that since I had made it clear in Cupid's Little Helper and Tha Birds, an' Tha Bees, an' All That Othah Good Shit that Ares and Joxer were a couple, and had a child, that it would be only logical to tell THEIR story, too. So here goes.

Further Notes: This story begins before the events of Cupid's Little Helper, and will most likely cover some of that ground from a different perspective. F'rinstance, what was it like when Cupid gave Ares a glimpse of the agony that Strife had gone through? We'll see.

Author's Notes: Ares and Joxer are together in my Love and Mischief series, and a few readers expressed curiosity in their back-story, so here it is.

Story Notes: I'm not up on the finer points of hydras, so here's my personal take on them. They are large creatures, usually larger than an elephant when fully grown, and they resemble a legless, three-headed dragon. Their body scales are incredibly thick and tough, thinning and becoming a little more fragile up the necks. If one head is cut off, two will grow in its place. The only way to kill them is by destroying the brains, WITHOUT cutting off the heads. Also the blood is like poisonous acid.


Seeking Balance
by Scribe


Seeking Balance 1: Unexpected Savior

*Trust my brother to be able to find a hydra, even in this wilderness,* thought Ares. *And now he has to go and try to kill it. Damn, what is his problem? Sure, it's eaten a few sheep and cattle, but its a PREDATOR, damn it. If those idiot shepherds hadn't decided to start pasturing their livestock in this mountain meadow, it would have gone on feeding on rabbits and moles. If you go ahead and present it with creatures that are bigger, tastier, and easier to catch than its natural prey, of COURSE it's going to go for them. And it wouldn't have eaten that shepherd if he'd had enough sense to run away instead of trying to get that lamb back.*

The meadow was a good way up a mountainside. *Grazing must be getting scanty in the surrounding valleys and flatlands. I'll have to have a talk with Demeter. Maybe I ought to have a small war in the area--thin the population out a little.* Ares settled back against the cliffside behind him. This particular meadow was almost enclosed by cliffs. It was sheltered from harsh winds, but it still caught a lot of sun. Thus the grass was lush--that was what had attracted the shepherds. Unfortunately the thick grass, providing an abundance of seeds, and the berry bushes that ran around the sides of the meadow, also attracted a lot of small game--the natural prey of the hydra. With a warm, dry, good-sized cave for shelter, it was inevitable that a predator would move in. It was just bad luck for the shepherds that this particular predator was big, scaly, toothy, and had three heads, and a bad attitude.

Ares, invisible, was sitting on a rock that projected above the entrance to the hydra's cavern. It wasn't all that high up, no more than eight or nine feet, but he figured he'd be out of the way, and still have a good view of the battle. Hercules had just arrived at the meadow, followed by a knot of mortals. *Fools,* thought Ares. *He MIGHT be killed, you idiots, and if he is that damn tri-headed snake will be burping for a month after gorging on you.* Then he took a closer look at the mortals, and sighed.

*I might have known. It's the entire Freaky Foursome, with that idiotic tagalong in the junk armor. I can understand Hercules asking Xena along, but what possessed him to bring the others? Iolaus might do a little damage with his arrows if he hangs back, but Gabrielle's staff won't be worth shit... unless the hydra uses it as a toothpick after he eats her.* Ares had to stop a second and smile at this mental image. *And that other one... What's his name? He's always praying to me to be a better warrior. Tartarus, that's a laudable ambition, but you have to have SOMETHING to work with. Anyway, the only use I can think of for him in this sort of battle would be if Hercules used him as bait, and that's way too practical for Baby Brother.*

The five stopped at the edge of the meadow, across from the cave entrance, and huddled. Ares noticed that Joxer was on the outside, as the other four put their heads together. He moved around them, looking for a space to wedge in, but every time he approached, someone would shift, closing him out. He hopped a few times, armor clanking, trying to look into the huddle, and Ares shook his head. The image of the lanky figure, draped in castoff armor, standing on tiptoe in an effort to be included, gave him an odd, fleeting feeling. It came and went so quickly that he couldn't identify it. *Of course they're shutting him out. He's more likely to get them killed than help them win, and he's even MORE likely to get HIMSELF killed. They'll tell him to hang back.*

The knot of plotters loosened. "It's agreed then. Xena and I will flank the entrance. Iolaus, you'll fire a few arrows into the cave to lure it out. Gabby, you get those things around their necks." The bard had opened a sack and withdrawn a pair of curious looking weapons. Each consisted of two balls--one at each end of a section of rope. Ares recognized the form, but usually the balls were studded with spikes. *Shit. Is she such a peace monger that she doesn't want to cause excess pain to what she sees as a man-eating monster?*

"Xena, I know how effective that chakram is, but remember--if you cut off one head, two will grow in its place."

Xena, quite rightly in Ares' opinion, scowled at Hercules. "You don't have to spoon feed me, Hercules. I've known that since before I picked up my first training sword."

*You tell him, Xena. I don't much mind if it eats the others, but I suppose I'll have to save you, if things get hairy. Wouldn't look right to let one of my own kids get eaten--not if I could prevent it.*

"What about me?" The other four heroes looked at Joxer. "I know! I go right in, make a frontal attack! While it's concentrating on me, Herc and Xena come in from the side, and we finish it off."

Hercules put a hand on Joxer's shoulder, and Ares saw the slender man's knees bend slightly from the pressure. "No, Joxer. We need you to do something very important." Joxer's expression brightened with pleasure. It fell as Hercules said, "We need you to stay back here and make sure that none of the shepherds come into harm's way."

"Oh." His disappointment was evident in that one syllable. Joxer cleared his throat and said, "And if it gets past you, I'll be here to take care of it before it can escape."

"Um, right."

They positioned themselves. Iolaus and Gabrielle went almost to the center of the meadow while Hercules and Xena walked along the perimeter till the were on either side of the cave's entrance, close against the side of the cliff. Hercules drew on a pair of thick gloves. *Hm,* thought Ares. *He's had those bound with wire. If he has to tangle with the hydra, the jagged scales won't cut him. Damn, if he keeps this up I may have to admit he isn't a total fool.* Xena took her chakram off her belt, flexing her arms like a javelin thrower, warming up. Gabrielle had one of the bolos dangling from each hand, swinging slowly back and forth. Iolaus checked an arrow, then notched it in his bow. Joxer drew a sword that would have been melted down as scrap by any self-respecting weapon maker.

Hercules gave a nod, and Iolaus let the first arrow fly. There was a questioning grunt from inside the cave, but nothing more. After a moment he shot another arrow into the darkness. This one elicited a grating snarl, and he quickly sent two more after the others.

It worked. There was a roar, and the hydra squeezed out of the cave. Ares heard Xena swearing, and he had to chuckle. From the size of the cave entrance, they'd been expecting a much smaller monster--something along the size of an ox. They hadn't taken into account how, um, COMPRESSIBLE the beasts were. They could squeeze through openings that looked far too small to let them pass. This one was... Ares cocked his head as the creature finished exiting its lair and reared up. He couldn't think of any other land animal that was comparable in size. Maybe one of Poseidon's smaller whales. A head rose up before him, halting six feet over his head. *That isn't counting the neck length, of course.*

The hydra had fixated on Iolaus. All three heads hissed, and its bulky body began to slither toward the Golden Hunter. Gabrielle let the first bolo fly. Ares smirked when it hit the beast in the chest instead of wrapping around a neck or head. It must have hurt, though, because the hissing increased in volume. The hydra increased its speed as Gabrielle snatched up another bolo, and Iolaus loosed another arrow. The arrow struck the creature's chest also, and bounced off. *Damn, I thought Iolaus knew better. He's not going to stick the thing like that--not unless his arrowheads are made of Hephastian metal. The farther you go up the necks, the thinner the scales get. Aim higher, Blondie.*

Xena was on the hydra's left. She screamed her battle cry and charged, chakram cocked. Ares sighed as the hydra's left head whipped around, zeroing in on her. Ares sighed. *The yell may work well in ambush when you're dealing with bandits, Xena, but this time it was a warning instead of a shock.*

Hercules, to Ares' eternal surprise, was sensible enough to be silent as he made his own charge. He leaped, and grabbed. He managed to get a handhold in the thick scales, and began to climb up the creature's side, toward its shoulder. If he got on its back, the right head would have enough room to twist back and snap at him, but that close... It would be like a human trying to bit himself on the back of the neck. It didn't stop the left head from trying, though. Only some acrobatic swinging kept the hero from losing a leg.

Xena threw her chakram, and it thunked into the right neck, sinking deep. Hercules saw this and yelled, "Xena! No decapitation!"

She'd drawn her sword. "Shut up! I'm wearing it down."

Ares nodded. *Yes, it's losing blood now. Another couple of dozen wounds like that might actually slow it down.*

Iolaus managed to put an arrow through the neck of the center head, high up. The beast threw its head, spattering his blood in a bright crimson arc. A spray landed across one of Xena's gauntlets and immediately began to eat through the tough leather and metal. Xena stopped her charge and jerked frantically at the lacings that held the arm guard on, trying to get it off before the poisonous acid could reach her skin. The sight of her lover in peril must have distracted Gabrielle. Hercules had hauled himself up on the hydra's shoulder. He'd just buried his sword in the skull of the weaving right head when the bolo wrapped around his throat, knocking him to the ground. He had to swiftly roll to the side to avoid being crushed as the hydra shifted its massive body.

The hydra whipped all its heads again, and Xena's chakram, slick with hydra blood, came loose, dropping into the thick grass. Xena dived for it, and jerked her hands back with a shriek when her fingertips hit the blood. She frantically wiped her hands on the grass, quickly enough to avoid any real damage--she'd just have some blisters. She ripped off her short leather skirt and used it to wipe the chakram clean. The leather was smoking and crumbling by the time she tossed it down and grabbed her weapon again. She finished just in time to back peddle quickly. The teeth of the wounded left head snapped shut inches from her belly as she tripped and fell.

The head that Hercules had skewered hung limp and dead, but the other two were wounded--and more dangerous than ever. The center head had twisted to look at the still struggling, slowly choking Hercules. It both heads had worked together, Ares had no doubt that they would have made short work of the heroes. But the center head strained toward Hercules, and the left strained toward Xena. First one side would gain a foot, then the opposite would drag it back. *It's going to split itself down the middle, like a fucking wishbone,* thought Ares in disgust. *Who's in charge of Unnatural Beasts, anyway? I'll have to have a talk with them, because if all hydras are this stupid, they'll be extinct in no time.*

Gabrielle snatched up her staff and ran across the meadow, swishing over her head, as she called out to Xena. Xena, crawling backward like a crab, tilted her head back and saw, upside down, what Gabrielle was doing. "No, Gabby! Stay back!"

Gabrielle listened about as well as she usually did. She kept coming. She bonked the left head squarely on the nose. The left head jerked back with a surprised grumble, then it gave a great, honking cry. *Way to go, bitch. Now you've made it PERSONAL. I hope it eats your ass.*

It didn't get the chance. Xena threw the chakram, and this time it caught the left head right between the eyes, sinking deep. The head swung in a death spasm, and slammed into Gabrielle. It knocked her flying. She landed several yards away, and immediately started ripping at her clothes, screaming. Xena crawled over to her and began ripping at her companion's clothes, stripping away the fuming fabric.

Hercules was wheezing and turning blue, plucking at the cords that were cutting into his throat. Iolaus threw down his bow and ran to help him, drawing a hunting knife. He knelt beside his gasping lover, saying, "Hold still, Herc. I have to cut these away, and I can't afford to slip."

There was so much going on at once that Ares didn't know where to look first. He leaned over the edge, peering this way and that...

And the ledge crumbled.

Ares fell, thumping down on the back of the hydra. The beast's body rippled spasmodically, pitching the god over the remaining head. Ares hit the ground hard--hard enough to stun him. His breath whooshed out, and he became visible--too dazed to stay hidden. No one noticed except the hydra--and Joxer.

Joxer had been bouncing with excitement and... and... *No, not fear. I'm a warrior, and I'm not afraid. I'm APPREHENSIVE. That's only normal, right? I mean, my friends are going up against a big ass, pointy-toothed, multi-headed people eater, and that's enough to give ANYONE pause, but they're doing pretty good, except for Gabby sort of strangling Herc, but Iolaus is taking care of that and...* He blinked as the dark haired man in leather suddenly appeared on the ground before the wounded hydra. The man sat up, putting a hand to his head. Joxer recognized Ares, his god, and the center head of the hydra was drawing back, ready to strike at him.

He didn't pause. He didn't think. He charged.

Xena had stripped Gabrielle completely, much to the bard's combined relief and mortification. Iolaus had sliced Hercules free of the choking bolo and was helping his dazed friend to his feet, ready to drag him to safety. They all looked up at the yell. What they saw astonished them into immobility.

Joxer was running across the green, flower-spangled expanse of the meadow. It would have looked like a cliche about serenity if not for two things: the grass was charred in large blotches, and Joxer, with a frightened, but fiercely determined look in his eyes, had his sword drawn.

"Joxer!" Hercules croaked. The other three had more volume. They screamed at their friend. "Go back!" "No!" "What the hell are you...?"

The head darted down. Joxer smashed into Ares, knocking him flying in a move that was classic Joxer. The hydra missed biting his intended prey in half, but one huge fang gouged Joxer's right thigh, opening a deep wound that immediately began to pump blood. Even as he screamed, Joxer hacked at the hydra. He landed only a glancing blow, but it sliced through one of the creature's eyes. The hydra jerked its head back, roaring in agony as the slender man crumpled to the ground.

Iolaus was cursing himself as he ran back to the other side of the meadow in search of his bow. Gabrielle screamed again and again as Xena tried to find her sword, which had disappeared into the long grass when she dropped it. Hercules leaped at the hydra and tried to jerk his sword out of the right head's skull, but it was trapped in the bone. The center head drew back once again, preparing to snap the head off the pitiful creature that had dared to hurt him.

Ares sat up again, shaking his head to clear it. *What the fuck?* He heard the screaming, the horrible hissing and roaring, and most of the fog cleared away. The sight before him was both horrible, and ridiculous. Joxer's 'helmet' had slipped down over his eyes, covering half his face. That was enough for a laugh. But there was a gaping wound in his thigh. It couldn't have happened more than a few seconds before, but the grass was already being soaked with his blood. The hydra... *Shit. I should be dead now. How...?*

The hydra whipped his head again, and blood flew, sending the four heroes scrambling out of the way. A thin stream hit Joxer, falling across his helmet. A drop ran off the edge, etching its way down the human's cheek, and Joxer screamed again. Ares had heard men scream before, in pain, grief, and death. For some reason this made his gut clench. Then the hydra's head was diving down, and Joxer was going to die. He had to die. No one was close enough to prevent it. Even Ares couldn't think and move quickly enough to get him to safety--if he so chose.

Joxer saw the head descending toward him, moving like a lightening strike. He still had his sword in both hands. Acting on instinct he thrust up and forward. The hydra had its mouth open, gaping to take a huge bite of soft, living flesh. The battered, nicked sword slid between razor sharp teeth, plunged through the soft palate, and sank deep into the creature's brain. It was dead before it thumped to the ground. There was a moment of shocked silence, then shouts, and frantic activity. Joxer lay half under the thick neck of the center head, and it took a moment for his friends to pull him free.

"Oh, gods, oh gods!" wailed Gabrielle, jerking off his helmet. She laughed hysterically. "This stupid helmet was finally good for something! It protected his face from the worst of the blood. He'll have a scar..."

"That's the least of his worries," snapped Xena. "Someone give me a strap. We have to tie off his leg before he bleeds to death."

Iolaus began to tug at his waist. "Use my belt."

"Is he all right?" Joxer's voice was faint.

"Joxer, don't try to talk," ordered Xena. "Save your strength."

"Hercules is fine," said Gabrielle.

"That's nice, but I meant..." Joxer trailed off, his eyes fluttering shut.

"He means me."

Hercules, Iolaus, and Gabrielle looked around in surprise. Things had happened so quickly. Their view had been blocked by the hydra, and they hadn't seen Joxer knock Ares sprawling. They had just assumed that Joxer was being his usual impulsive, reckless self. Suddenly things made sense--Joxer had sacrificed himself to save Ares.

Gabrielle shouted, "You've killed Joxer, you bastard!"

"He isn't dead yet."

"He could be soon," said Iolaus sadly. "He's losing an awful lot of blood, Xena."

"I can't get it to stop," she growled. Her hands were slick with Joxer's blood. "And I'm worried about that hydra's blood."

"It's only a drop," said Ares.

Xena glanced at him angrily. "Damn it, Ares, you know that shit is dangerous, even for a god, and he's a mortal. One drop could be enough, especially as weak as he is now."

"He died saving you, Ares," accused Hercules, stalking toward Ares. "Here's another life you've destroyed."

"You're not blaming this one on me," Ares snarled. He shoved Hercules aside and went to Xena. "Hand him over."

Gabrielle pushed between them, oddly unconscious of her nudity as she confronted the God of War. "Just let him die in peace!"

"HE ISN'T DEAD YET!" Ares roared. When the God of War took that tone of voice--everyone except the godly, the stupid, and the suicidal moved. Gabrielle was none of those, and she shifted out of the way quickly. Ares glared down at Xena, who was glowering at him defiantly. "Give me my follower."

Xena studied him. Her voice low, she said, "Why?"

Ares hesitated. *Why? I don't owe her a reason. Because I want him. Because he's mine.* "Because he'll die if you don't."

Xena nodded, and sat back. Ares lifted the limp, blood smeared body into his arms. Joxer's head rolled back loosely, dark hair falling across his forehead, a livid red streak on one pale cheek. Ares could sense the life force inside him, but it was weakening. He'd have to move quickly.

There was a flash of red. As the sparks faded, the remaining humans looked at each other. Gabrielle said, "Xena, why did you let him take Joxer?"

Xena shrugged. "We couldn't save him. Maybe Ares can."

"Do you really think that Ares will put himself out to save Joxer? I don't think he's even noticed him before, except to be annoyed. He probably just wanted to play with him for a while. We could have at least made his last moments peaceful, and comfortable."

Xena looked toward the sky. "I'm hoping that Ares can keep Joxer's last moments a long time in the future."



Part Two: Maximum Effort

Ares appeared in the main room of Apollo's Olympian temple, bellowing even before the red sparks of his arrival faded. "'Pol! 'Pol, I need you--NOW!"

The priest on duty was used to the abrupt comings and goings of the Pantheon, and he didn't waste a second being startled. The War God's reason for coming to the Temple of Healing was obvious--a pale, blood soaked figure dangled limply in Ares' arms. The priest reached out. "Lord Ares, let me take..."

"Stand back!" Ares snarled, unconsciously cradling the unconscious man closer. "Go get your master, and hurry, or you'll be the next to need his aid." The priest hurried away into the recesses of the temple. "And get Asclepius, if he's here." He lowered Joxer onto Apollo's altar, mentally cursing the lack of a bed or sofa. "We're going to need all the help we can get."

Ares examined Joxer, noting that the flow of blood from his wound had slowed. This worried him, rather than reassuring him. It could very well mean that there simply wasn't that much blood left in the mortal's body. The strap Xena had bound around Joxer's leg, high up on his thigh, was already so tight that it had almost disappeared into the pale flesh, and Ares knew that leaving a tourniquet on too long was almost as dangerous as allowing the bleeding to go unchecked- -at least in the long run. There was a chance of gangrene later. *But there's no point in worrying about that unless he SURVIVES.*

Blood didn't bother Ares, unless it was his own, or that of a loved one. He jammed his hand firmly against the wound. It must have hurt, because Joxer regained consciousness with a gasp. He tried to sit up, but Ares put his free hand in the middle of Joxer's chest and held him down. It wasn't hard. Joxer had never been exactly robust, and the loss of blood had weakened him terribly. "Lie still, mortal," snapped Ares. "You've gotten yourself into a bad state, and if you want a chance to live, you'll have to do exactly as you're told."

"Yes, lord Ares," he whispered.

"Shut up, fool. You need to conserve your strength."

"Yes, lord..."

"Shut UP!" Ares could feel the blood trying to escape as a flutter against his palm. "'POL!" he roared.

"I'm here, I'm here. No need to scream." The Sun God, tall and golden came into the room, the priest scurrying behind to keep up with his long strides. "My priest tells me that you're disrupting the serenity of my temple on behalf of a human? Who is it? Priest? Warlord? Current bed warmer?" He caught sight of the wounded man, and blinked. "Isn't that Aphrodite's pet?"

"How should I know? He's in a bad way. Help him."

"How can I turn down such a gracious request?"

"Where's Ace?"

"There's a nasty run of pox in a village near Pallas that could turn into a plague if it isn't nipped in the bud. Zeus, will you LOOK at the state of my altar cloth? I'll expect you to replace..."

"'Pol, do something before he becomes Hades' problem instead of mine."

"Impatient. How bad is that wound you're covering up?"

"Bad. It's deep, and ragged. And," he nodded at the red streak on the silent, frightened mortal's cheek, "he got hit by a drop of hydra's blood."

"Oo, nasty." Apollo looked at the priest. "Leave that and go back to the storeroom. I'll need the white jar on the third shelf from the top, right wall. The one with the jade lid. And bring the vial of red liquid next to it." The priest deposited an armload of objects at the foot of the altar, bowed, and left. "I'm going to assume from the way you're leaning on him that he's still bleeding."

"It's slowed, but it hasn't stopped."

Apollo opened a wooden box and lifted out what looked like a gray, tangled mass of hair-fine vines, vines with leaves no bigger than an infant's fingernail. "I'm going to have you remove you hand, and I'm going to press this to the wound. Be ready to hand me more when I ask for it. Are you ready?" Ares nodded curtly. "Now."

Ares jerked his hand away. There was a short, emphatic squirt of blood, but then Apollo slapped the wad of material down. He didn't have enough of the stuff to completely block the flow, and some oozed out around the fast darkening clot. Apollo pushed, jamming the stuff INTO the wound. Joxer passed out again. Ares growled, "Did you have to be so rough?"

Apollo gave him a surprised look. "If you want him to live, yes. Hand me some more." Ares passed over another handful. Apollo packed it down into the open gash, holding it in place. "Besides, if he's unconscious, he won't be feeling the pain. I can't give him anything to dull the agony right now--he's lost so much blood that he might not survive it." The gray mass was dark and wet around the edges, but the center remained dry. "It looks like this is working. If it stays dry for another minute or two, we have a chance."

They both watched the wound silently. Apollo said, "Yes, this is Aphrodite's favorite. What's his name?"

"Joxer."

"Ah, yes. Say, he's brother to Jett, the assassin, isn't he?"

"I believe so."

"You believe? I thought he was one of your favored followers."

"I don't bother to research the genealogy of all my followers. The stuff seems to be working."

"Yes, it does. Remarkable stuff, this. It's seaweed. I have an agreement with Poseidon to keep me supplied. He brings it to me, I make sure his favorite reef gets plenty of sun, so his mermaids can bask. Get that bottle of spirits. The seaweed is very, very clean, but there's no use in taking chances. Mortals are such fragile things." Ares uncorked the bottle and offered it to Apollo. "No, I need to keep pressure on this. Just pour it over and around my hand-- it will soak in."

"Will it hurt him?"

"Zeus, Ares, it will be alcohol on raw flesh--what do you think? But as I said before, he's unconscious, so I doubt he'll feel it. Pour!" Ares did as instructed. "Since when are you so solicitous of a mortal's pain? This is working well. I need one more handful, then hand me a couple of those pads."

As Ares did so, the priest returned, setting the requested items with the other supplies. Apollo didn't look up. "Is there a private room prepared?"

"Of course, my lord."

"Good. Prepare the binding cloths." Apollo pressed a thick, clean pad of cloth over the seaweed. "Ares, lift his leg so that I can get the bandage around it. Whatever you do, don't squeeze or let it drop, or it might reopen."

Ares hooked his arms around Joxer's knee and lifted carefully. Apollo took the cloth strips from his priest and quickly and neatly bound the wound, wrapping it in several layers, completely covering the pad. "Let it down carefully. Now I need to tend to burn. I just hope none of it got into his blood. That could be very, very nasty."

"Shouldn't we get him to a room first?"

"Who's the God of Healing here? I need to take care of this NOW. If it gets into his blood... Well, let's just say that he'd wish he'd had a nice, peaceful death by blood loss."

Ares watched as Apollo opened the jar and, first wrapping his finger in a strip of leather, scooped up an oily, gray ointment. He smeared it over the red weal, saying, "We'll do this several times a day--if he lives. He'll have a scar, though. Even a god would scar from a contact with hydra blood." He picked up the little vial, uncorking it, and hesitated. "Damn, I suppose I'll have to wake him up to give him this. No point in having him choke to death when I've gone through all this trouble."

"Wait," said Ares. He slid an arm under Joxer's back, lifting his upper body carefully. Joxer slumped against him, his head dropping back on Ares' shoulder. "Give me that, and tip his head up." Apollo handed the vial over, then put his fingers under Joxer's chin, tilting his head back. "How much?"

"All of it." Ares tipped the vial to Joxer's lips, letting the liquid trickle into his mouth. Joxer twitched, making a choking noise. Ares dropped the vial (Apollo had to lunge to catch it), and quickly stroked Joxer's throat, urging him to swallow. The man's throat pulsed, and the medicine went down. "If the poison did get into his system, hopefully that will counteract it?"

Ares scowled at him. "What do you mean, 'hopefully'?"

Apollo angrily tossed the vial to the floor. "Tartarus! He's MORTAL, Ares! I've never used this on a mortal before, so I can't be sure exactly what will happen. I've done everything I could, my altar cloth is ruined, I have stains on my best robe, I'll have to scrub my hands raw to get the gore out from under my nails, and you're giving me fucking ATTITUDE!" He glared at the priest. "Take him to the room. I'll check him later."

When the priest reached for the unconscious man Ares shoved him away and lifted Joxer into his arms. "Just show me where to take him." The priest bowed, and Ares snapped, "Move, before you find a fireball up your ass!" The priest scurried away, and Ares followed.

Apollo stared after him, lips pursed thoughtfully. *Well, well, well. Ares, God of War, acting like a mortal's personal body slave. I think I'm going to be watching Joxer's progress with a great deal of interest.*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Ares waited for the priest to turn back the sheet on the bed, then lowered Joxer. "He needs to be bathed."

"Yes, my lord. I will send a servant immediately." The priest bustled out.

Ares started to leave, thinking that he'd wasted enough of his day. *Where should I go? There's that border trouble. The pot's about to boil there, and it wouldn't take much to raise the heat a little.* He thought of where he wanted to go, and prepared to transport.

His eyes fell on the still figure in the bed, and he paused. He lifted his voice. "STRIFE!"

There was a sizzle of energy. The Mischief God appeared before him in a burst of blue sparks. "You bellowed?"

"I need you to go tip those two warlords we were discussing over into a confrontation."

"Can do." Strife was glancing around the room. When his eyes fell on Joxer, he startled. "Hey! Whathafuck happened to Joxie?"

"Hydra."

"Oo, not good. Is he gonna be all right?"

"Maybe." Ares was a little surprised by the question. To the best of his knowledge, Strife only asked that sort of question when he was hoping for a negative answer. It didn't sound like that, though. "Do you care?"

Strife shrugged, looking a little embarrassed. "I s'pose so. Joxie's done a lotta work fah me." He giggled. "Not intentionally, mind ya. If I hadda dinar fah every time he tripped an' knocked someone sprawlin, usually inta a nice, steamin pile of manure..." He shrugged again. "He ain't bad, fah a mortal. Life would be duller without 'im. Oh, well..." He snapped an ironic salute. "Off ta formant chaos." There was another giggle (a sound that had cause more than one mortal to wet their pants), and Strife disappeared.

It was just as well that he left then, because two servants arrived, carrying jugs of water, a basin, and bathing supplies. Strife tended to make the priests and servants of the other gods and goddesses nervous. The servants bowed, then put down their supplies, and began to unbuckle Joxer's armor. The man moaned quietly, and Ares said, "Stand back." He waved his hands, and Joxer's armor and clothes disappeared. "Get on with it."

The servants, a man and a woman, poured warm water into the basin and began to sponge the drying blood and dirt from Joxer. Ares stood by, arms crossed, watching. *Damn, he's almost as pale as Strife, and almost as thin. Doesn't Xena feed him?*

Ares stepped closer, dark eyes running over Joxer as the servant's continued to wash him. He noticed a number of scars. *Why am I surprised? Strife said he's clumsy. I've seen him go ass over ears often enough. I think he could trip over the pattern in a smooth marble slab. But there ARE a lot of them, and they all seem to be pretty old. They're faded to white, as if they happened a long time ago.* He cocked his head, the better to examine some a couple of dozen lines on his shins. *Those start around back, on his calves. They look like lash scars. I don't recall hearing of him ever being in trouble so serious that he'd be flogged. And even if he had been, they don't do it across the back of the legs.*

*He's thin, but he has some muscle. I never would have known under that claptrap he wears.* His eyes roved over Joxer's body, and halted when they came to his crotch. One eyebrow rose slowly. *Well, I CERTAINLY wouldn't have expected THAT. Not quite in Priapus' class, but then, who is? No wonder Aphrodite is so fond of him. Joxer, it's a good thing that beast didn't gore you a little higher. There'd surely be some disappointed women in the world.*

The servants finished the ablutions, patting Joxer dry carefully, then pulled a sheet up to his shoulders, bowed to Ares, and left. Ares prepared to leave again, thinking that he'd check back tomorrow. After a moment he pulled a chair up close to the bed and sat, eyes fixed on Joxer's face.

*Why did you do it? My followers are supposed to be willing to die for me, but I know that most of them never expect to do it on the personal level that you were courting.* He grimaced. *And you do it by knocking me over, then making a lucky stab--typical. How is it that you managed to run clear across that meadow without stepping in a rat hole, or tripping over a daisy? Have you ever gone that far in that big a hurry without falling?* He crossed his arms, slouching in the chair, not realizing that he'd assumed a posture that said he intended to be there for a while. *Maybe I ought to ask the Fates about it the next time I see them.*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

*Hurts. I sure do hope I'm not dead, 'cause an eternity of feeling like this would be a bitch. I can't think of anything I've done that might deserve that. Unless Ares was pissed when I ran into him? I did that, didn't I? I didn't mean any harm. My intentions were good. Yeah, right, Joxer--and the road to Tartarus is paved with good intentions.*

*Oh, Zeus, I haven't felt anything like this since... since... I don't have anything I can compare it with. Not even that time Father laid the hot poker against the soles of my feet.*

*Maybe I failed, and Ares died, and this is my punishment. Yeah, it feels like something Zeus would cook up. This would be nothing to a guy that can dream up chaining someone to a rock and having an eagle eat his liver every day. Wait a minute--would I need to pee if I was dead? Hm, maybe it's part of the punishment. Maybe I have a really, really bad infection, and it's going to feel like I'm passing hydra blood.* He lay still, eyes closed, for another minute. *I think that in a little while it's going to be a toss up as to what would hurt more--urinating hydra blood, or holding it. I'd better get up. I know what happens when you pee the bed, at least in my case--a beating. I kinda expected it from Father. I mean, why would he react any differently to THAT? I think that mercenary who crawled into my bed in Corinth last year might have restrained himself. He was just as drunk as I was, after all. I'd heard that some women peed on would-be rapists, but I never expected to use that defense myself. Heck, I never would have thought of it, but he SCARED me. I guess I should have known he was up to something, buying me all that ale. I should have known he wasn't interested in my sparkling conversation. DAMN, it hurts. I REALLY have to pee soon.*

He heard a quiet rasping sound nearby. Opening his eyes was an effort, but he managed. The sound came again. His eyes wandered toward it. *Ares? He's alive.* The sound came again, and Joxer saw that Ares' mouth was slightly open. *He's alive--and snoring. He looks younger when he's asleep. Maybe if I'm real quiet I can sneak out without waking him. I have a feeling that waking Ares up unexpectedly isn't too healthy.* Joxer started to pull the sheet down. There was the minute rasp of linen against skin. Ares sat bolt upright. Joxer quickly closed his eyes again.

It didn't work. "What do you think you're doing?"

He tried to speak, but his throat felt raw. *Oh, yeah. I was screaming a lot. And I suppose now I'll be screaming some more.*

"Don't pretend to be unconscious. Your hands are balled up into fists."

Joxer quickly relaxed his fingers. *Hostile posture around the God of War. NOT good.*

"Do you need anything?"

*Whoa, now THERE'S a phrase I never expected to hear from a god. I wonder if it's a trick question?"

"Look, I CAN read you mind if I have to, but it's a pain in the ass, so don't MAKE me. Now, do you need anything?"

Joxer swallowed. "Chamber pot?"

"Oh. Right." Joxer opened his eyes to find Ares standing beside him, holding a glazed clay vessel with a curved neck. Joxer started to reach for it. Ares sounded annoyed when he spoke. "Stop that. If you do it alone, you're going to tear that wound open again. Just stay still."

Ares flicked the sheet down around Joxer's knees. That was when Joxer realized that he was nude. *Oh, geez. If I had enough blood left, I'd blush like a boiled lobster. Boiled... Boiling oil... BAD thought.* Ares had reached down and had his hand around Joxer's cock. *Manual emasculation--even WORSE thought.* He squeezed his eyes shut, hoping he wouldn't live too long after his privates were removed. He was, after all, rather fond of them. He felt a cool touch against the underside of his member, and slitted one eye open.

Ares had directed his cock into the mouth of the pot. He glanced at Joxer. "Well? I can't spend all day standing around, holding your dick. Pee if you have to."

"I... um... I don't need to now."

"PEE!" Joxer did--abruptly. When the urine stopped tinkling into the pot, Ares gave Joxer's member a surprisingly restrained shake, then lowered it back to rest against his groin. He walked over to a table and set the jug down. His back turned to the bed, he slowly rubbed his hands together, glancing back at Joxer. "If you need to crap, you'll have to get one of the servants to take care of it. I draw the line there. Do you want anything else before I go?"

"I... I'm a little thirsty."

Ares silently went back to the bed and materialized a goblet. Joxer flinched when Ares reached for him, but stayed still when his god scowled. Ares lifted his torso a little, and held the goblet to his lips, letting him sip.

It was the coolest, sweetest water Joxer had ever tasted. When he'd had a few sips he stopped. "Thank you." Ares offered the goblet again. "No thank you."

"Apollo said he couldn't give you any drugs for the pain, but this should help a little."

*That was good water, but I hardly think it'll dull pain.* Joxer glanced down. The liquid in the goblet was a rich red, and it smelled tart. *What the...? Oh, yeah--divine powers.* Joxer drank the proffered wine gratefully. It DID help a little. He frowned, licking his lips. "I had the weirdest taste in my mouth."

Ares found himself watching the path of that pink tongue, tracing the shape of Joxer's mouth. He made the goblet disappear, and said absently, "That would be the hydra blood antidote. Zeus knows what's in it. If I were you, I wouldn't ask Apollo about it."

"Why would I talk to Apollo?"

"He'll be looking in on you, idiot. This is his temple, and I doubt that he'll leave you to his priests after tending to you personally."

"Ah-Apollo hih-himself?"

"You don't believe me?" Ares sounded ominous.

"No! I mean yes! I mean... Um, I didn't think there WAS a temple near the shepherds' camp."

"There isn't. You're on Olympus." Joxer blinked, then his eyes rolled back in his head, and he fainted.

Ares quickly put his ear against Joxer's chest. His heartbeat was steady. Ares listened a little longer, one hand on Joxer's shoulder, and the other on his flat belly. After a moment he stood, reached down, and drew the sheet up again. He considered sitting back down, then muttered, "I've wasted enough time," and disappeared. A second later he appeared in the temple's kitchen, and wrapped his fist in the tunic of the closest servant. "That mortal I brought here--keep your ears open in case he needs anything." He lifted the trembling man till they were nose-to-nose. "If by some insane chance he was neglected in any way I would be very," he shook the man, "VERY displeased." He dropped the man and transported.

One servant went to get a mop for the puddle that had been made by the servant Ares had selected, and another brought the damp and shaking man a drink.



Part Three: Visitors

Joxer drifted up to consciousness. *Oh-kay. I think I've established that I'm not dead. However, if I really AM on Olympus, and that wasn't just a weird ass dream I had, that status could change at any moment. WAS it a dream? Lessee... Ares held my dick so I could pee. I'd say it might qualify.*

He shifted a little, the pain coming back. *Well, I wish I could have the dream again. It was more pleasant than this, even if it was a little scary. Ares holding my dick... Yep--scary. Interesting, but scary. Okay, so I'm not dead. Maybe I'm just insane? That would explain things. Of course, Gabby has been claiming for months that I must be crazy. She points to Jett and Jayce for supporting evidence. Can't argue with her there, I guess. I suppose none of us are the tightest wrapped parcel under the Winter Solstice tree.*

*I guess I'd better see where I am--probably some field hospital.* His fingers moved on the smooth sheet that covered him. *Or maybe a better class brothel?* He slitted one eye open cautiously, then shut it again quickly. *BRIGHT! Either I have a window and it's broad daylight, or they're burning enough candles or torches to endanger the ceiling.* He tried again, managing to get the eye half open this time. *Oh. Part of it is because the light is reflecting off all that marble.* He rolled his head to the side and got a glimpse of the floor. Both eyes came open in surprise. *Sunbursts? That looks like real gold gilding the tiles. I don't think even Iphecles has that sort of lavish decor in his palace. Maybe Caesar, or someone...* He closed his eyes again with a groan. *Or a god--like Apollo.*

He heard footsteps, and considered whipping the sheet over his head, then decided that might draw too much attention. Besides, the pain was increasing steadily, and he wasn't sure he could accomplish the move. The steps came closer, till whoever-it-was was standing beside the bed. A large, warm palm was laid across his forehead. A deep, masculine voice said, "You don't seem to have any fever. That's a good sign." Joxer did his impression of a corpse. "Oh, stop it! I can tell that you're faking it, you know."

Joxer sighed, and opened his eyes. "I don't know why I bother."

"Ah, and capable of coherent communication."

"It's my brother Jayce who's the actor in the family, but I thought I'd gotten pretty good at acting unconscious, because I needed to when I was a kid, but when I got older usually just running away was more effective."

Apollo blinked down at the babbling man. "Perhaps semi-coherent." Apollo snapped his fingers, and a servant brought in a tray of supplies. "I need to have a look at that wound, and change the dressing." He took hold of the sheet, but Joxer clutched at it. "Oh, really! It isn't as if I haven't already seen all you have. Let go of that sheet. I'm a busy man, and I don't have time for this nonsense."

Joxer reluctantly let go of the sheet, and Apollo pulled it down to his knees. He bent over Joxer's body, and the mortal tensed. Apollo just brought his face close to the bandaged area, and sniffed. "No smell of corruption. Very good." He held up his hands, and a pair of large golden shears appeared. "This is going to hurt." Joxer's hands flew instinctively to cover his privates. Apollo's eyebrows rose. "Great Zeus, who HAVE you been hanging about with? It's for the bandages, silly--the BANDAGES." Joxer smiled sheepishly, but kept his hands in place. Apollo shrugged. "All right, but you might have the urge to grab when the real pain hits you--then don't say you weren't warned." Joxer slowly moved his hands to his side.

"Good boy." Apollo slid the tips of the shears under the edge of the bandage, and Joxer shivered slightly. "Yes, I know they're cold. Sorry. I suppose I should have warned them."

"It's not that. I'm just a little nervous about having sharp objects that close to... um..."

Apollo chuckled. "I thought they said you were stupid, but that's an imminently sensible attitude." He started carefully snipping through the linen.

Joxer let his head drop back on the pillow. *Great. My lack of brainpower has reached even unto the gods. Figures.* As the pressure around his leg decreased with each snip, the pain increased. By the time Apollo was spreading the bandages open he was sweating.

Apollo glanced up at the mortal, surprised that he wasn't yelling with pain by now. *Well, he's feeling it.* The man's expression was tight, jaw clenched, eyes pressed shut so hard that his brows were drawn down. *Well, you're braver than you look. I think even Ares would have at least been swearing by now. Let's see how he does when I remove the packing.*

He did quite well--only a few whines, and a yelp when he had to work a bit of seaweed free of dried blood. Since the bleeding had stopped and the wound had begun healing cleanly, Apollo had intended to leave the cleaning and rebandaging to the servant while he went on to the rest of his duties. Instead he snapped his fingers, and the servant brought up the basin of water and cleaning supplies. Apollo glanced down at them, then said, "Get me the green vial."

As the servant handed him the vial, Apollo said, "You seem to be alert and strong enough to stand a little pain killer. I'm going to give this to you, because this is going to be very painful. I'm afraid it won't actually take away the pain, but it will dull it a bit. It should be tolerable."

"I'm all for tolerance." Joxer reached for the vial.

Apollo said, "No, you'll need help. That potion is a bitch to make, and I'm not going to have you spill it all over."

Once again a strong arm was slipped behind Joxer's back, lifting his torso. *But it's not the same. It felt different when Ares did it. Maybe it was the leather?* Apollo held the vial to Joxer's lips and he drank. This one didn't taste QUITE as bad as the hydra blood antidote had, but that was like saying that losing a toe was better than being hamstrung.

Apollo was watching the faces Joxer made, amused. "Pretty nasty, huh?"

"Um... well..." *It's gotta be bad form to criticize someone who saved your life, and STUPID when that person can fry you butt just as easily.*

"It tastes rotten, I know. But hey--it's medicine. I used to put flavorings in them, but I could never be sure that it wouldn't change the effect. Besides, Strife lobbied so hard."

He eased Joxer back down. "Yeah, and it'll keep kids from getting into it, thinking it's a treat. It couldn't be good for them to take medicine when they didn't need it. It might make them sick."

Apollo smiled. "That's pretty perceptive. You know, not one of the adults who complain about the taste has ever realized that." He patted Joxer on the head, then slowly stroked the young man's hair. "You have quite nice hair--as soft as the Muses'."

Joxer was beginning to feel a little lightheaded. "Thank you." *Is Apollo flirting with me?*

"I'll have one of the servants wash it for you later. Now, to tend to that wound."

*Nah. That drug must be kicking in, if I thought that. I mean, this is APOLLO. He has his pick of the Muses. I have to be imagining it.*

Apollo quickly cleaned and rebandaged Joxer's wound. As he tied the last knot, he glanced us at the pale faced man. *Not a sound. Pretty impressive for a mortal.* Humming to himself, he whimsically tied a bow in the bandage's trailing ends. "Gotta make you look good for your visitors." As he straightened up, he drew his hand slowly up, brushing the edge of Joxer's pubic thatch. Then he cupped his hands over Joxer's genitals and gave a gentle squeeze. "Nice package, dude." Then he pulled the sheet back up. "I'll have them send in some breakfast, but you're going to be on liquids and pap till I'm sure of what your digestion can handle." He tapped Joxer playfully on the nose. "Be grateful. You sure as Tartarus don't want to throw up while you're immobile." Apollo took Joxer's chin in his hand and studied the red mark on his cheek. "Okay, it looks safe to handle that without a barrier." He scooped up a little salve and smoothed it over the weal. It had been stinging a little, and now that faded. Then Apollo cupped Joxer's other cheek, rubbing slowly. "Hm... You don't have many whiskers, do you? I bet that up until a couple of years ago your cheeks were as smooth as Bliss' butt. You can go for another day or so without a shave." He patted Joxer's cheek, then left, with the servant trailing after with the rest of the supplies.

Joxer, who had been stunned since that big hand had engulfed his cock, thought, *Okay. Maybe he WAS flirting. He wouldn't actually DO anything,* Joxer assured himself. *I mean, after all, he's a GOD.* Joxer winced. *Yeah, and so is Zeus.*

His leg was aching terribly, but drowsiness was creeping over him. He fell asleep. He was gently awakened some time later, and servant propped him up with soft pillows, then spoon-fed him strong broth. Joxer had protested, wanting to feed himself, but the servant replied that Lord Apollo had been very specific in his orders, and it wasn't worth the servant's skin to disobey.

After the meal, the servant brought in more jugs of water and a basin. "I already had a bath."

"I know. Lord Apollo has said that your hair is to be washed."

"That's thoughtful of him, but I don't see how it's possible if I can't get out of bed. It'll make an awful mess."

"The trick is in the length of the hair."

"Oh. You mean that it would be hard to do it for Iolaus, but easy for Cupid?"

"Exactly."

"Well, I'm glad my hair is short."

The servant picked up a pair of shears. These were plain metal instead of gold, like Apollo's, but they looked just as sharp. "Not as short as it WILL be."

Joxer put the pillow over his head.

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Ares looked up from the map he was studying, and scowled. "Strife, if you pick your nose one more time you'll have to learn how to do it with another finger, because I will REMOVE the digit you use." Strife shrugged. He was sitting in a chair with his left ankle on his right knee, and he casually wiped his finger on the sole of his boot. "Why do you DO that?" Strife grinned. Ares heaved a sigh. "Because you know it annoys me. Silly question."

"I'm just bored, Unc. You been stewin ovah those maps fah ages now. I'd say 'give it up--they ain't gonna change', but I know that ain't so." The maps in question were enchanted. The marks on them moved to show the exact position of different troops and individuals that Ares wanted to keep an eye on. "But Zeus, Unc--they're so slow that it must be like watchin' paint dry."

"There's been a group of rebels trying to sneak up on one of my warlords. I've been checking their progress."

"And?"

"They won't make it by morning, and they won't attack in daylight." Ares scratched a few lines on a parchment, and rolled it up. "I'll need you to take this to Otess. Before you give it to him, try to find out if he already knows about the planned ambush. If he doesn't, burn his tent down. His scouts should have warned him by now."

Strife fidgeted. "Do I hafta?"

Ares looked up in surprise. "Since when do you question what I tell you to do?"

"Oh, I ain't," Strife said quickly. "I'll do it, if ya really need me to, but I was plannin on goin ta visit Joxer, an' it's gettin kinda late. 'Pol don't like people visitin his patients aftah sunset. I'm gonna hafta remembah that fah if healin establishments evah become common." He tittered. "I'll call it 'visitin hours', an' it'll piss a lot of people off."

Ares looked thoughtful. "All right, you don't have to waste any time picking for information or punishing if he's been lax. Just drop it off, then you can do what you like."

"Thanks, Unc!" Strife took the scroll.

"Why do you want to visit him, though?"

Strife paused, thinking. "Tartarus, I dunno. He's a nice enough guy, he's helped me out before, an'..." He lifted one shoulder. "Tha guy is gonna be stuck up here fah awhile, right? It ain't like anyone he knows from Earth is gonna be able ta visit. I s'pose he's gonna get fuckin bored aftah awhile. Besides, he can be funny. If ya don't HAFTA listen ta him--I mean, if ya ain't TRAPPED with him, his babblin can be pretty fuckin amusin." Strife tapped the scroll to his head. "See ya soon." He transported.

A few tiny frogs hopped in Strife's wake. It was something new he'd been trying. He said that if Dite and Cupid could have hearts, flowers, and doves when they transported, he saw no reason why HE couldn't add a flourish to his transportation. Ares watched as the little green creatures disappeared in a puff of smoke. *I suppose it could be worse. He COULD have chosen to use polecats--and I hope like Tartarus he doesn't catch that stray thought.*

Ares leaned back over his map, but after a moment he rolled it up. He considered materializing something to eat, sharpening his sword, studying a book on strategy, and even doing a bit of training with some of his war dogs. None of it appealed to him. He finally realized that he was bored. *That's ridiculous. I'm a GOD. Tartarus, I'm the fucking God of WAR! I'm not supposed to get bored. Why am I bored? I've spent almost every waking hour doing my job--fighting or planning. Then Zeus decides to celebrate his anniversary with Hera by cutting hostilities back by half for two seasons, and all of a sudden I have free time on my hands. I guess I should thank the Fates that he didn't declare absolute PEACE. Tartarus, it would take AGES to get things back to normal if he did that.*

He found that he was pacing, and he angrily threw himself into a chair, unconsciously sliding down into a sullen slouch. *This whole Joxer fiasco is Zeus' fault, really. If he hadn't ordered me to ease up, I'd have been off directing a battle, or something. Instead, what happens? I'm bored, I'm looking for something to do, I spy on Xena, and find out that she's going to help my meddling half-brother slay a hydra. Instead of productively slicing up some barbarian horde I end up on that damn unstable ledge. If Zeus hadn't forbidden me my work, I wouldn't have been there. I wouldn't have fallen, I wouldn't have been in danger of being hydra-chow, Joxer would have stayed safely on the other side of the meadow, and wouldn't have gotten injured, and wouldn't even now be laying in Apollo's temple, waiting for Strife to visit him.* Ares sat up a little, blinking. "Shit, I wonder if Joxerbabble is catching?*

He didn't relax back into the chair. Instead he stood up. *I suppose I ought to go check on him,* he thought grudgingly. *If I can get some good news to take back to Xena, I can lay an obligation on her.*

It was as good an excuse as any, since he wouldn't admit to himself that he simply wanted to see how the odd little man was doing.

He transported.

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Strife appeared in Apollo's temple. Actually, he appeared in the middle of the Muses' bathing chamber, sending naked, wet, shrieking females flying in all directions before he said, "Oops!" and transported to the front room. He was giggling happily when Apollo stalked in, glaring at him. "Don't start on me, 'Pol. I was just lookin fah a friend of mine, an' I, uh, miscalculated."

Apollo grunted. "Right--and Bacchus is the God of Virtue and Restraint. I suppose you're looking for Xena's tag-along?"

"Joxer, yah. I heard he tried ta tangle with a full grown hydra, an' came out a little tha worse fah wear."

"He's very lucky. If Ares hadn't gotten him to me when he did, Hades would have already had him sorted out. As it is, it still isn't a sure thing, but I'm hopeful. If there's no infection, he should be all right, but he's going to have to stay here on Olympus for a while. The conditions on Earth would be just too filthy and rough."

"He up ta havin visitors?"

"Yes. I think it would be good for him, as long as you don't tire him out. Come on, and I'll show you the way." As he led Strife along the halls he said, "How did you find out about Joxer being injured?"

"There was an air sprite that saw it happen, an' she blabbered ta Zephyr, an' ya KNOW what he's like."

Apollo nodded. "That airhead LIVES to gossip."

"Yah, well, I was tha first one he told, an' I brought it home ta him how pissed Ares would be if he went talkin it around that he'd gotten his bacon pulled outta tha fire by a mortal."

Apollo grunted. "Thank you. I hate having to do repair work on Zephyr. Parts of him just go wafting off, if you aren't cautious." Apollo smiled. "You know, Joxer is kind of cute, for a mortal."

Strife looked at Apollo in surprise. "Ya think?"

"Have you ever seen him naked?"

"Um... I popped in on him once when he was bathin. That dude can stay undah watah a LONG time. I was too busy givin him some false information from Ares ta pay much attention."

"Trust me--he's pretty nice, in a long and lanky, needs some sun way." Strife cleared his throat, glaring at the Sun God. "What?"

The tall, thin, pale Mischief God rolled his eyes. *What's tha use? * "Nothin. Are we there yet?"

"Yes, we are." Apollo pointed. "That door there. Remember the way, because I won't have time to act as guide. No more than an hour--he needs his rest." Apollo bustled away.

Strife walked into the room. "Heya, Joxie!" He peered at the man lying on the bed. "Look, I know that they pull sheets up ovah tha dead, but 'Pol said ya were doin okay, so what's with tha pillah ovah yer head?"

"Strife?"

"Want me ta turn tha stuffin in that pillah inta manure an' prove it?" Joxer sighed and tucked the pillow back under his head. Strife blinked. "That's kind of a new look for ya, ain't it, Jox?"

"I needed a shampoo."

"Damn, man, how hard did they scrub?"

"Ha ha."

"Yah, I thought it was pretty decent." Strife went over and sat on the edge of the bed. "So--hydra, huh?" Joxer nodded. "Pretty ambitious, Jox. Don't ya think ya shoulda started off with somethin a little less threatenin--like maybe a sheep?"

"Ares wasn't being attacked by a sheep."

"Yah? Well, it coulda happened. Them things are treacherous beasts, especially if they're in flocks. It makes 'em vicious."

Joxer was staring at him. Strife grinned. "Oh. You're fooling me."

"Of course I am. Damn, Jox, you're not THAT gullible, are ya?"

"Heck, Strife, you're a god. You have access to secrets unknown to mortal man, and for all I know that might mean that somewhere there are carnivorous sheep.

"There ain't, but it's an interestin idea."

"You scare me."

Strife stuck out his tongue. "I'm supposed ta."

Joxer smiled. *He's nicer than everyone seems to realize. I mean, causing mischief is his JOB, and there HAS to be a certain amount of trouble in the world. He's fairer than a lot of gods, too. He usually doesn't concentrate on anyone unless they've done something to really piss him off, and that's pretty much what ANYONE would do.*

"Dinar fah yer thoughts."

"I was just thinking that nobody really seems to understand you."

Strife's grin faltered, and something flickered in his eyes. "Sure they do, Jox. Heck, I'm not complicated--if I can cause mischief, I do." He shrugged. "Simple."

"Sure. I guess it's the same for me. What you see is what you get."

Strife cocked his head, studying Joxer. He knew something of Joxer's past, what he'd had to overcome. He knew that other people would have given up and turned hollow, or gone bitter and turned mean. Joxer had done neither. He was full to bursting with warmth and affection--and he had no one to share those feelings. Despite his desire to be a warrior, he was one of the gentlest souls around. Those were the reasons that he was such a favorite with Aphrodite-- she saw them, too. "I dunno about that, Jox. Ya know what Poseidon says--still watahs run deep."

Joxer was trying to think of an answer to that when there was a red flash, and Ares appeared. "I've come to see how you're doing. I see that you're conscious, at least, and what the fuck happened to your hair?" For a second Joxer blinked in confusion at the sudden shift of topic. "Your HAIR," said Ares impatiently. "What happened to it? Your head looks like a porcupine--one that's had its quills clipped."

A little color came into Joxer's pale cheeks. "They cut it so they could wash it. You see, with it this short they could just use a cloth to wet it, rub the soap on, then use a damp cloth to wipe it off."

"In other words they were too damn lazy to make the effort to do it normally." Ares stalked over and bent down to examine Joxer.

The hair was no more than a half-inch long. This short you could really tell how soft and fine it was. It DID stick up a lot, but Strife thought it was more like dandelion fluff than porcupine quills. "Hello ta you, too, Unc."

Ares glanced at him, his expression saying 'oh, so YOU'RE here'. He nodded, then looked back at Joxer. "Who did it?"

Joxer's eyes shifted. "I don't know."

"Don't lie to me, Joxer. I can find out easily enough."

"I wish you wouldn't." His voice was plaintive. "Sure, I didn't like it much, but I can see WHY they did it, and it'll grow back." He paused. "Won't it? Olympian shears don't, like, make it stop growing, do they?"

Strife giggled. "I love 'im--he's so easy." He stood up. "I gotta go. Joxie, I'll tell Dite what happened, 'kay? I know she'll wanna see ya."

"Okay, but don't make too much of it, huh? I don't want her to worry."

"Gotcha. No details of pumpin blood an' hideous screams." He twiddled his fingers, and disappeared.

Joxer said, "Why do I have the feeling that he's going to make the description as gory as possible?"

"Because that's exactly what he's going to do." Ares reached down and passed a hand over Joxer's scalp. "I suppose I don't have to gut anyone over this, but they didn't need to cut it this short, did they?" *Damn, his hair is soft. If feels like Cupid's did, way back when I used to brush it for him, except his curled. Joxer's is straight. I think it would fall just like a sheet if he let it grow. And it's thick, too. I ought to be able to see his scalp with it this short, but I can't.*

Joxer lay very still as Ares rubbed his head, his eyes half closing. *Boy, that feels nice. No wonder cats like to be petted so much. When was the last time someone stroked my hair? Um... Yeah, I remember. It was Jayce. I'd found out he was going to run away from home, and I was crying because I'd be the only one left at home. He stayed another hour and let me cry in his lap, petting my hair and my back. But he still left, and the next day Father...*

"What's this?"

Joxer's eyes popped open. "My head."

"I know that. I mean this." Ares' finger moved through his hair, brushing his scalp. "This raised ridge, here."

"I--had an accident."

"What sort of accident?"

"It was a long time ago. I don't remember."

"What do you mean you don't remember?"

Joxer stared up at Ares for a moment. Finally he said softly, "I mean that sometimes the Fates are merciful, and let you forget something."

"You could remember, if you tried."

"I don't want to try. If I wanted to forget it, I'm pretty sure that I don't want to remember it, and it's not important, anyway. It's just a scar." He turned his face toward the wall. "I have lots of them."



Seeking Balance 4: More Visitors

Ares was silent for a moment, then he sat in the chair beside the bed. "Yes, you do, and some of them are a little odd. Take those lash marks on the back of your calves. How did you come by those?"

Joxer didn't look around. "How do you usually get lash marks?"

Ares regarded him in surprise. "Did you realize that smart remarks to me can be hazardous to your health?"

"Strife does it all the time."

"Strife is a god--he can take an occasional fireball without too much damage. Tell me about the lashes."

"No."

"Joxer..." Joxer turned his face even farther toward the wall, shoulders tensing, and Ares realized that he was waiting to be, if not killed, then hurt. Ares was faced with the unfamiliar task of making an effort to reassure someone. He tried again, keeping his voice level (but hopefully not in a scary way--Strife had told him he was at his most scary when he was too quiet). "Joxer, look at me." The young man rolled his head on the pillow, looking at Ares. *Zeus, I never noticed how huge his eyes are. It must be the short hair.* "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but don't DO that."

"Do what?"

"Start to shut yourself off. I've seen too much of that with Strife. It isn't good, Joxer. It makes you crazy." He grimmaced. "Or in Strife's case, craziER."

There was a distant sound something like a heavy wind-chime caught in a hurricane, and they heard a female voice shrieking, "Where is he? Where's my Joxie? You show me RIGHT NOW or you'll have the love life of a ninety-year old syphilitic SLUG!"

"Of course, sometimes you don't have to cut yourself off from others to be a little cracked," drawled Ares.

There was the sound of rapidly approaching footsteps, and a man's voice babbling. "Rightthiswayhe'sfinewe'retakinggoodcareofhim..."

One of the priest's appeared in the doorway. A dainty, carefully manicured hand shot out and shoved him out of the way. "One side, Solar Sycophant." Aphrodite flounced into the room, as only she could flounce. Semi-opaque pink chiffon drifted around her, and a few stray rose petals (left over from her transport) drifted to the floor. Tears sprang into her blue eyes, and she rushed toward the bed, arms outstretched. "Oh, my poor Joxie!"

Joxer cringed. "Wound, Dite! Wound!"

She halted scant inches from grabbing him. "Oh, right! I'm sorry, sweetie, but I was SO worried. Hearing it from Strife, I expected to find you in three or four pieces." She started to sit on the side of the bed, saw Joxer tense again, and instead perched on Ares' knee.

"Uh, Dite?" Ares said.

"Don't start with me, Ar. Besides," she reached back without looking and tugged at his beard. "it isn't as if I haven't done it before. Joxie, hon, are you okay?"

"Well, I have a big hole in my leg and it hurts like Tartarus, and I'm on Olympus, and I'm half convinced that everyone up here is crazy, but other than that..." He looked sheepish. "No insult meant."

Aphrodite waved her hand dismissively. "Don't sweat it. It isn't as if most of the Pantheon hasn't had their sanity called into question on a regular basis. Are they treating you good?"

"Oh, yes, they're being very considerate."

"Do you need anything? Want me to arrange for someone to come in and give you oral sex?"

*It's a good thing Joxer wasn't eating or drinking,* Ares thought, *Or 'Pol would be in here trying to save him from choking. As it is, I think it was a near miss that he didn't swallow his tongue. I wonder how he's going to answer that?*

"Nuh-no thank you."

"You sure?"

"I'm a little sore right now, Dite."

She looked worried. "Nothing, um, IMPORTANT got damaged, did it?"

"I think it missed all the major arteries and internal organs, so... Oh, you mean EXTERNAL organs. No, just the thigh, and this." The touched the welt on his cheek.

Aphrodite made a face. "Oh, my poor pookie bear. Don't worry, doll. I think that when it heals it'll make you look sorta dashing."

Joxer gave her a goofy smile, and Ares thought, *He's buying that? How desperate is he for approval?* Ares recalled one spying session when he'd seen Joxer offer Gabrielle a handful of field flowers, and been rewarded with a bonk on the head. *I guess that answers my own question--pretty fucking desperate if he'll spend about a year trying to win that harpy's heart. Here's a clue, Joxer--they have to have one for you to win it.*

Aphrodite had leaned over and was cooing to Joxer, stroking the soft, short bristles of his hair. Joxer was looking up at her with gratitude and affection shining in his big, brown eyes. Ares suddenly unbent his knees, sliding his heels straight out, and Dite tumbled with a squeal. She landed butt first on the floor and glared up at Ares through a tangle of blonde curls. "Oops."

"Oops? Cerebus crap, Ar! You did that on purpose."

He gave her an innocent look. "Why would I do that?" She glared at him suspicously, then got a thoughtful look on her face. She smiled slowly. *Uh-oh. I have to remember--I can't DO innocent. STRIFE can do innocent better than I can.* "Dite? Don't do anything rash."

Aphrodite smiled sweetly, and rose gracefully to her feet. "Me? Rash? Ares, I'm surprised at you." Joxer was looking apprehensive, and she smiled at him reassuringly. "Sweetie, I can't stay long right now. I have some research, and some thinking to do. But first..." She pointed at the table, and a large glass bowl of sweet scented pink roses appeared. "And..." She pointed at Joxer, and he suddenly found himself holding a stuffed centaur toy. "I'd leave sweetmeats, but I know how picky Apollo is about nutrition during healing. Maybe later." She bent down and kissed him on his unmarked cheek, lingering for a few seconds more than was strictly necessary. When she stood back up, Ares was glowering darkly. Dite giggled. "Is it okay if I tell Cupid he can visit?"

"Oh, uh, sure, I guess. If he wants to?" The last statement had a questioning lift at the end.

"Cool." She wiggled her fingers. "Toodles." She disappeared in a shower of gold and pink sparks, and rose petals.

Ares grumbled, "Flighty woman. Why she can't just use sparks like a normal person..."

Joxer picked a rose petal off his chin. "I think it's pretty."

"Well, of COURSE it's pretty," Ares snapped. "She's the Goddess of Love, she can't HELP but do pretty things. Is 'pretty' THAT important?"

"Beautiful is good, too," said Joxer shyly.

Ares felt cold. "Right." He stood up abruptly. "I'll check on you tomorrow." He waved his hand briskly, and was gone in a fountain of red sparks.

They continued to rain down for several seconds. Even though Joxer knew they weren't dangerous, he found himself jerking the sheet over his face. The motion was too strong, and something pulled. The pain flared, and he moaned. *Everybody goes away. What did I say this time?*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Ares appeared in his own bedroom, and was pacing before the sparks settled. *Beautiful. Of course, beautiful is good. Here I was thinking that maybe there was someone who wasn't blinded by physical beauty, since he was so wrapped up in Xena's bard bitch, then... Oh, all right. I suppose some people might find Gabrielle beautiful-- until they were around her for more than five minutes, or had to listen to her voice for more than a few seconds at a time. It would make more sense if he was in love with Xena. Xena IS beautiful, personal prejudice about my own blood aside. She's buff, and she can kick ass--THAT'S beautiful.*

He paused in the middle of his room, head down, and thought, *Of course, the same could be said about me, and I'M not beautiful. Devastatingly sexy, maybe, but not beautiful.* He made a sound of disgust. *Why am I losing sleep over... Exactly what the hell AM I losing sleep over? Nothing. Joxer is fine. I wouldn't be losing sleep even if he WASN'T fine. I mean, he's just a mortal--not even a particularly IMPORTANT mortal, either. It isn't as if he's a strategically important person, like Iphecles, or a high-level warlord. He's just a not-very-good... okay, hopeless. He's a hopeless warrior-type, who nearly got himself killed...* Ares flashed away his clothes, falling back into his bed, *saving me...* he extinguished the torches with a thought, *when he didn't have to.* As he drifted off to sleep, the thought that followed him down into his dreams was, *I never noticed before. He has brown eyes.*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

After Ares left so suddenly, Joxer called one of the priests in, and was granted some more of the pain killing draft. The agony that had been building in his leg faded back to a managable ache. The priest gave the toy that Joxer was hugging a curious look, but he didn't say anything. He'd been on Olympus long enough to know that it was better just to take minor oddities in stride. He made sure the patient was as comfortable as possible, then extinguished the lights in the room. When he exited, he left the door to the hall open, to provide a little light, and to make certain he would be able to hear Joxer if he needed anything during the night.

Joxer cuddled the toy that Aphrodite had given him. He was alone now, and he didn't have to worry about feeling silly. The truth was, he hated to sleep by himself. The only times in his life he'd felt the least bit secure was when, as a child, he snuggled down between his two big brothers at night, and felt their warmth on either side. Sometimes Jett would hug him, often half squashing Joxer as he slept, but that was all right. And sometimes Jayce would let Joxer hug him, smiling tolerantly as the other boy burrowed against his side. But since they'd both left home, there'b been no one. Well, not really. There was the occasionaly tavern wench, but they usually wanted to be paid. Also they were willing to have sex, but they often weren't interesting in snuggling afterward. If he had a dinar for every time he had heard, "What?! You don't think you're going to SLEEP here?" If he didn't have a real, breathing person to cuddle, a toy helped a little.

*Of course, I can now kiss any iota of respect Ares might have had for me good-bye. Who's going to take a warrior with a stuffed centaur seriously? I know, I'll tell him that I was humoring Dite. EVERYONE humors Dite. Yeah, that'll work. I wonder why Dite isn't with Ares? I mean, I know that she isn't REALLY his sister, since Zeus did that 'scattering his seed on the sea foam' bit. But that makes her his HALF-sister, and that's still... still sorta icky. But they're not together now, and from what I hear Hephastus is a pretty nice guy, but she left ARES. How could anyone walk away from him? And I'm not talking about the increased chanced of being incinerated or torn limb from limb, either. He's so BEAUTIFUL. And I think that's probably inside as well as outside. Okay, maybe I haven't had too much proof of that inside part, but the OUTSIDE part is beyond dispute. And as for the inside... well, I just feel it, that's all. Maybe I ought to try to get well and get back to earth real fast. I like that feeling, and I'd kinda hate to have it spoiled if I pissed him off and he killed my ass.*

Joxer settled down to sleep, thinking. *I sure do wish I could turn over. I wonder if Ares' beard is as soft as it looks?*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

"Say what, Mom?"

"You heard me, Cupie."

"Yeah, I heard you--I just can't believe you actually said it." Aphrodite scowled. "Oh, c'mon, Mom. Joxer and Dad? I mean, I know that opposites attract, but PLEASE!" Aphrodite stared at her son, and a small, secret smile crept across her lips. It made Cupid nervous when she smiled like that. "What?"

"Just thinking about opposites, sweetie. Look, you go over and visit Joxie tomorrow and see what I mean."

"If you insist, but it will hardly do any good unless Dad is there, too."

"Oh, I think he'll show up, if you wait around a little while," she said smugly. "Just observe, and you'll see what I mean. Oh, and keep your arrows in your quiver, big fella. If this doesn't happen naturally, I'm a sea cow," she patted her curls, "and we all know THAT'S a damn lie." Cupid rolled his eyes, but grinned. Typical Mom.

Aphrodite eyed her big, blond son as he sprawled in front of the table. She indicated a brightly smeared parchment. "Is that Bliss' latest masterpiece?"

"No, Mom--I've taken up fingerpainting." He smiled fondly. "He says it's Aurora. I don't think she favors purple quite that much, but I wasn't about to tell him."

"Is he visiting his mother?"

The smile faded. "Yeah," he said shortly.

"You know that I think that you're doing a terrific job raising him, hon, but really--a child needs TWO parents."

"Don't start on me, okay? After Psyche, it's going to be at least a century before I'm interested in having another wife."

Aphrodite patted her son's shoulder consolingly, while thinking, *And who said anything about a WIFE?*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

"Wake up, sleeping beauty."

Joxer blinked awake. "Who?"

"Oh, and he's coy, too." Apollo was standing beside the bed, smiling down at him. "Time to change the dressing again. I have a salve to speed healing that I should be able to apply today." As he pulled down the sheet he explained, "The wound was too fresh yesterday." Again the shears appeared. This time Joxer didn't flinch. Apollo began snipping through the bandages. "How did you sleep last night?"

"Okay. I woke up a couple of times."

"Hm. Well, I could give you something to help you sleep, if you want." Apollo was unfolding the opened bandages with his right hand. He rested his left hand lightly just above Joxer's hipbone, and his fingers started tracing a circle.

*Oh, Zeus! I don't think I WANT to be drugged too much while I'm in this place.* "Oh, it was just because I had to call someone to bring the chamber pot."

"Yes, that antidote I gave you DOES have a diuretic effect?"

"A what?"

Apollo peeled up the pad, peering first at the wound, then at it. "It makes you pee, sweetcheeks--a lot. I'm going to have them put a pitcher of water and a mug within reach, and I want you to empty it as often as you can. This looks very good. The wound is beginning to scab over, and there's scarcely any leakage on the pad."

*I'm misinterpretting again.*

Apollo completed the bandaging quickly, then smiled at Joxer and ran a finger up the inside of his thigh. "You'll be ready to climb back in the saddle in no time, dude." His eyes twinkled, and he brushed Joxer's scrotum. "Or do you prefer playing saddle?"

*No, I'm not.*

*FLASH*

"Geez, 'Pol, you're SUCH a horndog! The guy just missed visitng Uncle Hades--at least give him some time to rest up before you start hitting on him."

Apollo drew the sheet back up, patting Joxer on the chest. "Careful, Cupid. You're going to get a reputation as a prude, talking like that. You have a point, though." He tapped Joxer on the nose, making him blink. "You're going to need at least another couple of days of bed rest before you use a bed for anything but resting. We'll see then, all right?"

"Uh..."

"Super. Have to go. Demeter has a drought scheduled to the east, and I'm going to be busy." He left.

Joxer looked up at Cupid. "Help?"

Cupid shrugged. "Don't worry about it too much, Joxer. If you just turn him down firmly, you won't have a problem."

"Cupid, I don't have a lot of what you'd call resistance. Ask me sometimes about the 'Scroll a Month' club Salmoneus talked me into joining once."

The corners of Cupid's mouth twitched. "So, how's it going? You need anything?"

"A bodyguard would be nice."

"Look, Apollo can be an egotistical prick, but you have to admit that he's way ahead of the pack in the looks department. What's the problem, Jox?"

"He's... he's..." Joxer was obviously searching for a reason. "He's... really, really blond."

"Yeah, he's that," Cupid agreed, amused. "But I thought you LIKED blond?"

"Why would you think that?" Cupid pretended to write something. "Oh, Gabby!" Joxer sounded surprised. "Yeah, sure, but she's a WOMAN."

"I could find you people who would debate that with you, but what's the difference?"

Joxer stared at him, perplexed. "Cupid, she's a GIRL--I'm a guy. I mean, you HAVE noticed, haven't you?" Cupid nodded, fighting down another smile. "And Apollo's another guy."

"What's that got to do with the price of baklava?"

"I'm in LOVE with Gabby. I can't be in love with another man."

"Why not?" Joxer gaped. "Oh, Tartarus, Joxer! You mortals and you're prejudices. I'll be glad when you people finally learn that gender isn't really important unless you're interest in procreating. It doesn't matter a flip when it comes to passion and love."

"But... but... but... Love?"

"Of COURSE, love! Do I have to draw you a picture?"

"No, thank you. I'm not up to looking at gay erotica right now."

Now Cupid DID smile. "You mean you might be 'up' for it later?" Joxer opened and closed his mouth a couple more times, eyes the size of saucers. Cupid finally took pity on him. "I mean offer an example to illustrate my point, not show you dirty pictures."

*FLASH*

Strife was lounging in the doorway. "Why not? Lookin at dirty pictures is a worthwhile occupation." Cupid glanced at him, and rolled his eyes. Behind Cupid's back, Strife stuck his tongue out at him.

Joxer, aghast, shook his head. Not looking around, Cupid said, "He made a face at me, didn't he?"

"Um..."

"Never mind--I'm used to it. Okay, example--Hercules and Iolaus."

"But Iolaus can get the panties off any barmaid in Greece, and Hercules was married."

"So? Iolaus can also charm the pants off most of the barkeeps in Greece."

Joxer was starting to sound desperate. "Hercules had CHILDREN!"

Strife cackled. "What? Ya think that takin it up tha tailpipe means ya can't sire kids?"

Joxer's eyes were approaching dinner plate size now. "HERCULES?"

Strife's laughter was progressing toward uncontrolable. "Ya gotta PROMISE me yer gonna ask him about that tha next time ya see him."

"Quit teasing him, Strife. Joxer, yes Hercules was married, and he loved both of his wives very much. But think about it for a moment-- who has he gone back to after he lost each one? He's been with Iolaus longer than both his marriages combined. How often do you see one of them without the other? Don't they almost seem to share a secret language? Sometimes they even complete each other's sentances, and if THAT doesn't say 'old married couple', I don't know what does."

"When you put it that way, it makes sense," admitted Joxer. "Uh, what were we talking about before? I sort of lost track."

"The fact that Apollo is sniffing around you, and you aren't interested."

"Right!"

"Ya ain't?" Strife asked, curious. "Howcome? Ol' Shiny Britches has a pretty good record where lovahs are concerned. I mean, nobody could possibly be as good as he thinks he is himself, but..." Cupid was arching an eyebrow at him. "What? Oh. Nobody but Cupid could possibly be as good as..."

"Are you speaking from personal experience, Strife?" Cupid asked calmly.

Joxer was watching the two gods closely. *I thought Cupid had hazel eyes. They sure do look green now.*

"I don't fuck an' tell, cuz." He tittered. "Well, not aside from some graffiti now an' then. Anyways, MY sex life ain't in question here--Joxie's is. Or rathah what MIGHT be his sex life, unless somebody lays a chastity belt on 'im."

"Hm. Well, I can't have him over at my place. He'd never get a moment's peace with Bliss running around." Cupid tapped his chin. "I have an idea. If it works, I'll know whether or not I owe Mom an apology, and it will settle this problem. If it doesn't work..." He shrugged. "I'll see Hephastus about that chastity belt. Where's Dad, Strife?"

"A group of rebels is about ta lace inta wunna his warlords, an' he's busy watchin an' bein majorly pissed," Strife answered. "He's too fuckin stubborn ta just appear an' kick ass. He's determined ta let tha warlord learn a lesson, but he doesn't wanna risk losin him eithah, an' tha conflict of interest is about ready ta pop his skull. I was with him, but he's so ticked I decided it might be more prudent ta put some space between us till that particulah fiasco is ovah."

"Stay with Joxer, then. If Apollo tries anything, drop a few spiders down his toga." Cupid transported.

Strife sighed happily, dropping down into the bedside chair. "I love my job. So," he said brightly, "aside from tha horny, grabby, Sultan of Sunburn, how are things?"

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

A small group of rebels crouched hidden among some rocks on a hill overlooking the warlord's camp in the valley nearby. Ares was stalking back and forth behind the rebels, cursing. Since he'd stayed invisible, and blocked the mortals from hearing him, it wasn't having any noticable effect. When Cupid appeared beside him he growled, "Not now, son. I'm trying to decide the best way to handle this shit."

"Dad, do you WANT those two groups to fight?"

"No, not now, anyway."

"Point out the leaders of each side." Ares flicked a finger at one ragged man who was muttering fiercely to another, eyes full of hate fixed on the second man Ares indicated--the general who was haranging his troops, waving toward the hillside. "Just a second." Cupid hitched his quiver around so that he could look into it. He muttered to himself, sorting through the arrows, then removed two identical ones, banded with blue and silver. He swiftly notched and let them fly, one after the other. One thudded into the back of the rebel leader. The other soared, and caught the warlord square in the chest. Both disappeared with a poof that was neither seen, nor heard by the mortals.

Suddenly the hatred faded from the rebel leader's expression. He gazed at the warlord with great, mooning eyes. The warlord's hand dropped limply to his side for a moment, then pressed over his heart as he gazed up at the hillside, a goofy smile breaking across his face. Ares looked from one to the other. "Tartarus, Cupid, what did you DO? I said I don't want them to fight NOW--I didn't say NEVER."

"Chill, Dad. It's just a little puppylove hoo-doo. It'll wear off in a couple of days, but till then, neither one of them is going to let their followers attack the other. Now that's taken care of, can I have a moment of your time?"

"Sure. What's the problem?"

Cupid carefully kept his tone casual. "Oh, it's nothing urgent. It's just that you know what a pet Joxer is to Mom, and I'd rather not see a major feud break out between her and Uncle Apollo over him."

Ares scowled. "Why should there be a feud over Joxer? I thought Apollo was taking good care of him." His voice dropped ominously. "Nothing's happened to him?" He cleared his throat. "I wouldn't want Dite to be upset."

"No, Joxer is okay, he's just a little freaked out."

"Well, that's understandable. Recovering from a major injury..."

"That's not it." Cupid shrugged. "It's just that Apollo has taken a fancy to Joxer, and..."

"Has he done anything to him?"

Cupid looked at his father in surprise. *Whoa, Dad. That tone had more steel in it than your armory.* "Oh, just a little friendly groping, but Joxer isn't interested, and you know how Apollo is. I figure it would be best to put temptation out of his reach, but I can't have Joxer at my place, and..."

*FLASH*

Ares was gone. Cupid smiled a little. "And I guess I DO owe Mom an apology."



Part Five: Transfer

"Ya mean it nevah occurred ta ya that it was pretty fuckin co- inkidental fah there ta always be a puddle, horse trough, or pile of manure around whenevah ya knocked Gabrielle ovah?"

"Zeus, Strife, I never thought much about it. And since she raps me on the head with her staff every time it happens, I'm surprised I could remember half the time. I should have brain damage by now. Of course, Gabby SAYS..."

"Ya gotta quit listenin ta those jerks who bad mouth ya, Joxie."

"I will, if you will."

"Ow! Shit." Strife had been cleaning his nails with a knife point. At Joxer's quiet response, he'd flinched minutely, and nicked his pinkie. He sucked the finger briefly, eyeing Joxer, his expression unreadable. Finally he said, "I don't bad mouth ya, Jox. Not fah a long time now, anyways."

"You know what I mean."

"Nah, I don't." There was a stubborn tinge to Strife's tone.

Joxer sighed. "Strife, I'm aching right now, so let's not argue about it, okay? I know a little about this. I'm not as oblivious about myself as some people think. When most of the known universe constantly tells you that you're crazy, stupid, worthless, etcetera, etcetera, you react one of three ways. You totally shut yourself off from the world, closing up like a clam to the point where it's a miracle if you say a dozen words a week. You tell everyone how marvelous you are, and how wrong THEY are, even if you don't believe it yourself. That's me. Or you speak the party line. That's you."

Strife stared at Joxer. He said slowly, "I ain't sayin yer right. Ya got that, Jox? What ain't I sayin?"

"You're not saying I'm right," said Joxer dutifully.

"Remembah that. I WILL say that ya undahstand more about tha mind than that bitch Psyche evah did."

"Thank you." Joxer shifted. "Could you please call one of the attendants?"

"Why?"

"Because I feel silly just hollering. I keep picturing them rolling their eyes and saying, 'oh, no, it's HIM again. I'm going to set his chamber pot in a tub of snow before I bring it to him.'"

"Okay, I'm rememberin that one, but I meant why do ya want me to call them? Ya need somethin?"

"I need to use the jug."

"I can take care of that." Strife picked up the water jug and started to pour out a mug full.

"Not that jug, Strife."

"Nah?" He looked puzzled. Joxer cleared his throat, then tipped his chin toward the curve-necked pot Ares had helped him use before.

Strife picked it up and peered at it. "Whathafuck?" Then his expression cleared. "Oh, I remembah this from that time Mom got pissed an' tried ta remove my kidneys. Okay, I can do this."

"You don't have to, Strife. You can just call one of the attendants."

"Jox, have ya stopped ta think that Apollo might hear, an' decide ta see what was tha mattah, then offah ta *ahem* lend ya a helpin hand?"

Joxer quickly flipped down the sheet. "No cold hands, please." Strife made a show of blowing on his hand before he leaned over Joxer and began to help him with his elimination.

*Flash*

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

Strife jumped, and Joxer yelped. "Makin a fuckin mess, an' givin Joxer more aches when he really don't need 'em! Geez, Unc, are ya TRYIN ta make me turn tha poor guy inta a eunuch?"

Ares paused, quickly taking in the scene before him. All he'd seen when he'd transported into the room was Strife bending over Joxer, who had the sheet down around his knees again, and an embarrassed look on his face. His first thought had been, *Son of a bitch, not him, too!* As was not uncommon in his life, he'd spoken before he'd thought. Strife was just lucky that he hadn't reacted even more in character and acted before he spoke. Apollo would have given him Tartarus about the mess he'd have left on the walls, and Strife would have been spending some time here himself.

A second after the angry question had left his lips, he'd seen the pee jug in Strife's hand. Now he noticed that there were splashes of fragrant liquid bathing Joxer's thighs, and beginning to soak into the mattress. Ares knew that at Strife was waiting for some sort of explanation. *He isn't getting one. Since when do I have to explain myself to anyone?* Instead, Ares said, "We can't risk urine getting on that wound." He got a cloth from the table, poured water into the basin, and began to wipe Joxer clean.

Strife watched, eyebrows slowly climbing toward his hairline, as the God of War washed pee off the man who was generally held to be his sorriest follower. *His sincerest, maybe, but since when has that evah ground any mustard seeds with Ares?*

"Shit," Ares muttered. "Some of it got on the bandage. That'll have to be changed."

"Ya want me ta call...?"

"No!" Ares was curt. He looked at Joxer. "Are you up to traveling?"

"Well, I can't walk, and horseback riding is out. I might be able to manage in a cart, as long as it wasn't too bumpy. Maybe if it had those shock-absorber things Salmoneous has talked about..."

"Is it possible for you to answer a simple question WITHOUT making an epic out of it? I meant transporting."

"You mean," he waved his hand, "Brrrzapt, sparkle, sparkle, where'd he go?"

Strife giggled, and Ares shot him a glare. "Yes."

"No, don't think I'm up to that. I have this little fear of being hurled through space. Call me silly, but..."

"Help me pick him up, Strife. I don't want his leg to move any more than is necessary."

"Wait a second!" Joxer protested. "Don't I have any say in this?"

"No." To Ares' surprise and Strife's vocal delight, Joxer got a mulish expression on his face and grabbed on to the bed frame on either side. "Oh, for... Would you rather stay here and wait for Apollo to declare you 'fit for exercise'?" Joxer's eyes got round, and he held out his arms. Ares felt a peculiar twinge. When was the last time anyone had reached for him with such quick trust? *Cupid. It would have to be Cupid when he was little, and he'd scraped his knee, or had a bad dream. But this is different, somehow.* "I'll support his upper body. Strife, you take care of his legs--and be CAREFUL."

"Like ya need ta tell me. Where we goin? We sure don't want fah you to end up in Athens an' me end up in Corinth. I got no idea what would happen ta Joxer, but I have a feelin it would be messy an' not too pleasant."

"My room. On the count of three. One, two, three."

*Flash*

*Urp*

Ares grimaced. "Crap."

Strife wrinkled his nose, though he was lookin distinctly green himself. "Nah, I've seen some funky crap, but that's DEFINITELY upchuck."

Ares rolled his eyes at his nephew. "Now it isn't just his leg I need to clean."

Joxer was even paler than he had been. "Well, I'm sorry, but I haven't felt anything like that since the time I tried to ride Argo, and a wasp lit on her rump just about the time she decided to throw me." He looked down at himself. "I haven't had anything but broth and thin porridge since this happened. Where the Tartarus did all that come from?"

Ares looked at Strife, who glared back at him. "Don't look at me. I dint even hurl, an' I'm gonna hafta burn these leathahs."

Ares grunted, then looked at his bed. A sheet of linen appeared over the black sheets. "Let's get him situated." They carefully settled Joxer on the bed. "Strife, I have an errand for you to run while I get him cleaned up."

"He really wishes you'd stop talking about him like he was a chair," said Joxer.

Ares had been heading for the door, with Strife in tow. He stopped and looked back at Joxer. His tone irritated, he said, "What?"

Joxer looked surprised at himself, but said, "I'm not an inanimate object. Even Gabrielle doesn't talk around me like I'm part of the furniture." There was a pause. "Not much."

"Fine. Joxer, I will be going to get what I need to clean you up. I will be back shortly. Is that all right with you?" Ares said sardonically.

He felt that strange twinge again as Joxer gave him a shy smile. "Thank you. I don't enjoy wearing vomit. It's happened a time or two when I had too much ale, and believe me, if you let it dry you'd better not plan on sneaking up on anyone for at least a month, because your infamy precedes you, if you know what I mean." Ares was staring at him. "Right. Epic. Sorry. Hurry back." He winced. "I wasn't trying to order you around. It's a generic farewell that indicates that you're looking forward to seeing someone again in the near future, and..." Ares was still staring. "Is it me, or is it chilly in here?"

"I suppose it could be because you're naked," drawled Ares. He flicked his finger, and a thick fur throw cover Joxer, neck to toes. He nodded at Strife, and they went into the hall.

Joxer waited till they were gone, then thumped his head back into the soft pillow several times, muttering, "Babble, babble, babble." *Now he not only thinks I'm klutzy, I've added brainless. When I recover he'll bring me back to earth, hopefully not by just kicking me off the side of Olympus, and tell me not to clutter up his temples again. What am I going to do if that happens? Worshipping him is pretty much the only constant thing I've ever had in my life. Well, that and being treated by most of the world like I'm as welcome as a case of hives, and I like worshipping him a lot better than that. Though I guess I haven't been all that much of a worshipper, either. I mean, look at the offerings I've been able to bring--a pretty rock, some food, wine--and THAT from the second pressing...* Joxer didn't remember that he'd often gone hungry to offer the food, and that the wine was cheap because it had cost his last dinar.

He sighed, closing his eyes. *I wish there was something special I could give him. Something worthy.*

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Out in the hall, Ares told Strife. "Go back to Apollo's temple and get all the bandages and cleansing cream that you can."

"What--ya think they'll just hand it ovah ta me?"

"Are you kidding? They'll hand you their nuts, Strife. They're scared shitless of you."

Strife laughed. "Ya, but it's more fun ta steal it."

"I don't care how you do it. Leave him a little, in case someone else needs it, but don't skimp. He can mix more of the cream up easily enough, and he can always shred his dress robes for bandages. Oh, and you know that potion that speeds healing?"

"I oughta. Ya got any idea how many jugs of that stuff I've had ta swill down?"

"Bring some of that, too."

"That may be more difficult. He hordes that shit closer than Midas did before he got tha goldfingah."

"If you don't think you can get it..."

"Please do not insult me. Of COURSE I can get it." He rubbed his palms together gleefully. "I love a good challenge." He flashed away.

Ares got water, soap, and cloths from the bathing chamber. *I wonder when that wound will be healed up enough for him to bathe? Of course when he CAN bathe, I don't see how I can let him do it alone. He wouldn't be able to get in and out of a small tub, and he'd likely drown in the bathing pool. I wonder which one would be best? I can probably lift him in and out of the tub, but then, I could carry him in and out of the pool.* He paused, a dreadful though occurring to him. *But what if I slipped? He could be hurt even more badly, and he'd think I was some sort of clumsy oaf. Maybe the tub would be best.*

As he re-entered his room, it didn't occur to Ares that he was just assuming that this Joxer was going to be in his household until he was completely healed--or just how long that might be for a mortal. Ares materialized a table beside his bed, setting the basin down. Joxer had his eyes closed. "Joxer, are you asleep?" *Oh, INTELLIGENT. He won't be if he answers, will he?*

Joxer opened his eyes. "Just thinking." *I kept the answer to only two words! I can do this.* "I do that a lot. Gabby says that letting my mind wander shows a lack of focus, and I'll never get anywhere if I don't..." *Maybe I can't do this.*

"Joxer, has it occurred to you yet that Gabrielle is not an authority on anything, most especially character?"

"She says that she's very careful about character development in her stories, but I told her that... Well, take how she represents you. She makes you out to be a violent, arrogant, selfish, devious, power mad near lunatic. And I told her, 'Gabby, you're not being fair. Sure, he's a little rough around the edges, but look at his JOB. He couldn't be all sensitive and 'let's hold hands and sing and pet bunnies', because if he did all sorts of things could happen that might be just as bad as war.' And she goes, 'What could possibly be worse than war?', and I said, 'Oh, famine is pretty bad. And it would be bad if some of the rulers who thought it was fun to kill off all their subject were never deposed, and... and...'" He trailed off.

Ares was looking at him in near astonishment. "And?"

"I don't know. That's when she knocked me out."

"I'm going to have a talk with Strife about her. I need to get you cleaned up and change your bandage now." He pushed down the spread and wet the cloth.

Joxer said, "I think I can do that without it hurting too much."

'I think I can do it without it hurting at all. Just lay still." Ares began washing Joxer, and this time his movements were not quite as brisk as they had been before. When he was done he dried Joxer with a soft cloth. He noticed a dozen small scars scattered over Joxer's chest, most of them scattered around his nipples. He touched one. "How did you get these? They don't look like any battle wound I'm familiar with."

"They aren't from a battle."

"An accident, then?"

Joxer's voice was bleak. "No, it was deliberate, all right."

Ares was opening his mouth to ask about that when Strife reappeared, his arms loaded down. "Where ya want it, Unc?"

"Drop it on the table over there for the time being." Strife obeyed, and Ares said, "Did you get the potion?"

"Look, I know Autolycus claims ta be tha King of Thieves, but I can claim at least Prince." He reached into his shirt and pulled out a vial of lavender liquid. "He had it in a vault behind a portrait of himself. Shock, shock."

Ares helped Joxer sit up and offered him the vial. Joxer drank, then smacked his lips. "Boy, that's better than the others. Tastes fruity."

Ares pulled a knife from his belt and bent, making ready to slip the blade under the bandage. He paused, glancing up at Joxer. "Don't worry--I won't hurt you."

Joxer gazed back at him. "I know." *HOW do I know? I was ready to jump out of my skin when Apollo was cutting off the bandages, and he's probably as skilled with sharp objects as Ares--in a different way. But I just know.*

Ares undid the bandage, and scowled. "Damn it! You're bleeding again."

Strife came over. "Not too much. Blot 'im down good an' smear on plenty of tha salve," advised Strife. "It's styptic if that bleedin ain't too bad."

Ares blotted away the rivulets of blood, then peered at the wound. "It stopped." He quickly dressed the wound, slathering the ointment on in the hopes of preventing the pad from sticking again, and rewrapped it. "Are you hungry?"

"You know, I haven't really had much of an appetite since the hydra, but all of a sudden I'm STARVED. I could eat an oxen."

"Not unless it's boiled to rags and put through a grinder--twice."

Joxer made a face. "C'mon. I'm ready for a loaf of bread, a big chunk of cheese, and about half a suckling pig."

Strife started giggling, and Ares said ominously, "One remark about 'suckling' and you'll be asking Artemis for a ride home, because I will put you on the moon."

"Yer crampin my style, Unc."

"Someone has to." Ares held out his hands, and a steaming bowl of bread and milk appeared. He sat beside Joxer, prepared to feed him.

"Can't I at least have pudding, or something?" Joxer asked plaintively.

"If you do well in the next day or two, we'll see."

Strife said loudly, "I'm gonna go crash, unless ya need me, Unc."

"No, go on."

"Check." Ares had lifted the first spoonful and held it toward Joxer. Strife twiddled his fingers behind Ares' back, pointing at the bowl, then he mouth, 'G'wan.'

Joxer squinched his eyes, and accepted the first spoonful. His eyes flew wide open. *Honey. Lots of it.* Strife grinned, and nodded as he left the room.

Ares sounded satisfied. "Not so bad, is it?"

Joxer smiled at him. "Nope. Not bad at all." He ate the entire bowl with relish.

When it was finished, Ares disposed of the utensils. "Brace yourself."

"Why? What's going to...? Whoops! Damn, that felt funny! What was it?"

"I just got rid of the clean-up sheet. Couldn't very well leave it there." Ares started to strip.

"Uh, Ares?"

"Yes?" His vest hit the floor.

"Ares, I..." He was pulling off his boots. "I think..." Ares tossed them casually aside. "I mean..." He had unbuckled his belt and was sliding it from it's loops. "Do... did Dite ever complain about you leaving your clothes laying around?"

"Her things were usually mingled with them. We were too preoccupied to worry about neatness if it had reached the shedding clothes stage."

"Why are you taking off your clothes?"

"Do you wear all your clothes when you sleep at home?"

"I haven't had a home since I was fifteen."

Ares paused in unfastening his pants. "You ran away from home at fifteen?"

"My brothers did it when they were fourteen, and I didn't run away. My father threw me out."

Ares gritted his teeth. "We're going to have to have a long talk soon. Anyway, I sleep in the nude, so the clothes come off."

"You--you're going to sleep here?"

"It's MY bed." Joxer was staring at him. "Oh, Tartarus! Look, I'm not going to rape you. Despite what Gabrielle may have told you, I DO NOT rape. For one thing, I don't have to. For another, it's a damn sight better if my partner enjoys himself."

Joxer's eyes were huge. "Himself?"

Ares blinked, then shrugged. "Himself, herself, themselves."

"Themselves?"

"Oh, for... Joxer, that bed is big enough so that I might as well be in the next room unless I -choose- to be close. Don't worry about it, okay?" He shoved down his pants.

*Nakedhe'snakedI'mseeingAresnakedohgodsandgoddessesdon'tstaredon'tdroo ldon'tgethardwhydidIthinkTHAT?!*

The torches went out, plunging the room into darkness. The bed was so wide that Joxer didn't feel it dip. He didn't realize that Ares had gotten into bed till he heard Ares say, "You're so tense I can almost feel you vibrating. Relax, and go to sleep."

*Ha. Easy for you to say.*

Not really.

Part Six: Recovery

*Mmm. I must've really lucked onto a soft piece of ground last night.* Joxer shifted. *And the blanket feels extra smooth, too. Must've been that pounding it on a rock the last time I washed it.* He shifted again. *Oo, it's nice and warm. Is the sun already up? I hope Xena and Gabby haven't gone off an left me again. I mean, it's considerate of them to want to let me sleep, but...* Shift. *Something smells nice.*

"Will you be still? I'd like to sleep a little longer."

The only thing about Joxer that moved were his eyes. They popped open and cut quickly to the side. Ares was lying next to him, face down, *and that weight across my belly would be... let me check," his eyes darted down, then returned to the ceiling, *his arm. Okay, Joxer, don't panic. Sure, you're currently helpless and pinned down by a being with near infinite powers, who is likely to zap you into pieces that would easily fit through the mouth of a wine bottle should he realize that you're getting warm tingles. But look on the bright side--maybe Hades will let you relive these few seconds for the rest of eternity. Aside from the terror, it's pretty nice.*

"You're babbling mentally, aren't you?" Ares' face was turned away, but his voice was darkly amused.

"No, I was just... Uh, I was wondering, did Chronos REALLY swallow his children whole?"

Ares turned on his side, facing Joxer. The dark sheets were down around his waist, and he casually scratched at the hair on his chest. "Yes. And if Rhea had just allowed him to go ahead and swallow Zeus, a lot of crap would have been avoided, because I'm sure dear old Dad would have given him a massive case of indigestion, and he'd have vomited up everyone anyway."

"What must your family reunions be like?"

"Pray that you never know." He studied Joxer. "You seem to be feeling much better."

"I am, thank you. I don't ache at all." He sounded surprised.

Ares grunted, then sat up, running his hands through his hair. "I have to go oversee negotiations between a couple of warlords. I'd leave it to Strife, but sometimes he gets carried away, and I don't want to end up with a couple of battalions decimated because one side thinks the other has insulted their mothers. If I don't want all-out warfare, he's better as a back-up. If I set you up before I go, will you be all right till lunch time?"

"Yes, I'll be fine."

Ares had gotten out of bed. Joxer didn't have to worry about where to look for long, because he dressed in the divine fashion--with a thought. "Think you can eat some toast and eggs without re-using them as decorations for my sheets?"

"I think I can manage a few slices of toast, and maybe a couple of softly scrambled eggs." Ares nodded, and held out his hands, palms up, preparatory to materializing the food. "Or three eggs. No more than four, anyway. With a little cheese, and some of those nice, skinny green onions." Ares cocked an eyebrow. "That's all." He lifted his hands again. "Unless it would be too much trouble to whip up a few sausages to go along with that, or some bacon. I'm not sure which would be, um, more digestible, so it might be better to have both." Ares tipped his head. "Thank you. That should do it." He lifted his hands. "But if you happen to have some fruit, or a few honey cakes just laying around, I could force them down." Ares stared. "Really, I don't want to be any bother."

"Is that all?"

"Yes."

"All right..."

"That bread and milk yesterday was pretty good."

Ares growled. A table suddenly appeared--one that straddled the bed completely, and was spread with an assortment of food stuff that could have comfortably fed a troupe of bandits. "Eat what you want, and it will vanish when you're done. The jug is within reach. Don't wiggle around too much, and if you have to throw up, do it over the side of the bed."

*Flash*

The opposing sides wondered why Ares was laughing so hard when he appeared, but decided to take it as a good omen.

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Joxer had eaten a hearty breakfast--heartier than he was used to. Xena always shared whatever she had, but rabbit and fish was a pretty sparse diet, even in the best of times. Joxer had seldom actually been able to eat as much as he wanted at one sitting, and when he finally lay back from the table, he was burping contentedly, and replete. True to Ares' promise, the table vanished, but not before he managed to grab a last apple--in case he needed a snack.

After a while he found that he was tossing the apple up and catching it, pretending that he was juggling. He'd once watched a member of a troupe Jayce was traveling with juggle two daggers, a hatchet, and a goose egg. Joxer had tried to recreate the feat after the show and had literally ended up with egg on his face. That hadn't bothered him as much as the lump on his head and the gash in his big toe. Jayce had scolded him as he bound up his wounds, saying, "You try to be a little bit of everything, Yoxie. If you try to be everything, how are you ever gonna know WHAT you are?"

While he was distracted by the memories, the apple landed square between his eyes, and bounced away. "Ow!" When he could see straight again, he felt around in the sheets for the apple. It wasn't anywhere within reach. Then he spotted it--lying on the floor, several feet from the bed. "Tartarus!" Joxer stretched his arm out toward the fruit. *Oh, right. I'd have to have arms like one of those orange-tang-tang beasts from Sumatra.* He stretched again. *Or maybe an octopus.* He lay back down with a sigh. *I guess I'll just have to wait till someone comes and gives it to me.* He stared up at the ceiling. *I don't really want it right now.* *pause* *It's not even ripe--it would have squished instead of bonked if it was.* *stare* *Maybe if I hang onto the sheets...*

He wrapped one fist in the top sheet, stretched his arm toward the apple, then carefully leaned out...

...and found out that Ares didn't tuck his top sheet under the mattress.

"Ow." *Dammit, he's a god, why doesn't he have rugs, so the floor wouldn't be so cold the first thing you get out of bed? Of course, he probably doesn't usually get out of bed by falling on his ass, but still. Shit, I bet I've done it now. I've probably torn the wound open, and now I'll bleed to death before Ares comes home, and he'll find me all pale and tragic looking in a pool of gore, and he'll think that it's a shame that such a loyal worshipper had to die so young and why aren't I screaming in pain right now?*

Joxer sat up, moving cautiously, ready to freeze at the first stab of agony. It didn't come. There was the usual aches he got when he took a header out of bed (one advantage to sleeping on the ground, he often told himself), but nothing at all like what he'd been expecting. For the moment he ignored the cold slate against his bare bottom (it was warming up as the stone leeched away his body heat, anyway). Instead, he concentrated on his bandaged thigh. He bent down and stared intently at the bland white bandages, waiting for the blood to blossom. After a few minutes he sat back up, puzzled.

The next order of business was getting back into bed. He briefly considered just laying there, but decided that he didn't want to worry anyone. *But I'll stop if it hurts too bad, or if I can see blood,* he decided. He grabbed the edge of the bed, gritted his teeth, squeezed his eyes shut, and got ready to strain. He came up smoothly and easily, which would have been strange enough even on his best day. He found himself standing, with not a twinge. "Ooooh-kay, this is weird." He was reluctant to open his eyes, so he bent down and felt around for the apple. Bonking his head on the bedside table convinced him that wasn't the best idea. He sighed, rubbing his head as he picked up the apple. "This is more normal."

He sat gingerly on the edge of the bed. Again, no pain. Joxer poked the bandage experimentally. Nothing. *Am I crazy, or didn't I have a big, fucking hole in my leg yesterday? I mean, like, bleeding buckets, makin' a mess, headed for Hades gouge. Let's see... Does this come under looking a gift horse in the mouth? But if the people of Troy had looked that big horse in the mouth, wouldn't they have figured out it was full of Trojans, and saved themselves a lot of pain?* He poked the bandage again--harder. Hard enough to thump. He winced. "Oh, now I feel better." *Maybe I should just sit here and wait for Ares to get back. He said he'd be back by lunchtime. I wonder how long it is till lunchtime? I could eat the apple.*

He started to take a bite, but stopped when his fingers squished through the peel. *Bleh. And I thought it wasn't ripe.* He set it on the table, and held his hand out, away from his body. *Great--now I'm dripping. I need to wash this off before it gets all in the sheets. He left a basin and jug over there on the other table. If I can stand up, maybe I can walk.*

Joxer got up and carefully shuffled forward a few steps. He tripped, and stumbled the rest of the way to the table. *Yep, everything normal here.* He washed his hands, and then just stood there a moment, bouncing on his heels, looking around the room. *I have a unique opportunity here. I'm alone in the House of War. I could probably find out all sorts of secret things, if I wanted to. If I wasn't worried about getting summarily executed.* He sat back down. A few minutes later he stood back up. *Or I could die of boredom. Maybe I'll just take a LITTLE peek out into the hall.* He opened the door, and a chilly breeze wafted against him. His balls immediately lodged a protest by trying to crawl back where they came from.

*Or I could die of cold. I wonder what happened to my clothes? I can't even think about borrowing some of Ares' clothes, even considering I wasn't worried about being flash fried when he found out, because I don't see anything around here that looks like a closet. Does he even NEED a closet? I mean, he did the whisk thing with his clothes this morning. Wait a minute...* He searched the floor. *Where did they go? I didn't see him pick them up.* *snort* *There's a concept--the God of War picking up after himself. Do they just melt away, like dew, and he replaces them each morning? This is fascinating, but if I don't get something between me and the breeze soon, I'm gonna look like one of those blue painted Picts from Brittannia.*

Even though Joxer was pretty sure that Ares wouldn't appreciate his sheets being used for anything but sleeping, he didn't know what else to do. He pulled off the top sheet and draped himself in it, doing a surprisingly artful job. He paused for a moment, lifted a swatch to his face, and sniffed. The scent was musky, spicy. *Ares. That's Ares I'm smelling.* He looked down in surprise at his crotch. "Don't YOU start! We're sick, remember?" He hastily tucked the tail end of cloth securely away and eased out into the hall.

The hall was long, with a couple of other doors along the sides, and a turning at each end. Joxer padded slowly in one direction, then the other, not sure of where he should go--if he should go at all. He opened one room and peered into a bathing chamber, with a central pool of steaming water. The next one interested him more. It led outside, and Joxer got his first real look at Olympus.

He wasn't impressed.

It was obviously supposed to be a garden, but it was neglected almost to the point of wildness. Joxer took a few steps out, blinking up at the bright sunshine. The sun was almost over head, so it should be lunchtime soon, but he wasn't really thinking about food. *Except,* he walked past a rosebush that was growing ragged, fragrant pink petals drifting down to the lush grass that rose high up on his calves, *that this would be a nice place for a picnic, if it was tended a little better.* There was a tiny pond that would have been pretty if some of the choking lily pads were cleaned out, and it was overhung by a willow that trailed lacy green fronds into the water. *Yes, this place could really bloom, with a little care. I wonder why it's so neglected?*

"JOXER!"

Joxer flinched, instinctively diving behind an azalea bush. *WhatdidIdonow?* There was a boom, and a flash emanated from the door he'd left open. *Oh, DAMN, he must be mad if I can see it all the way out here! I wonder if it would kill me to just dive over the side of Olympus?*

He stayed crouching for a few moments more, then he heard a voice calling, "Joxer! Joxer, if yer here, say somethin! C'mon, Joxer, this ain't no place ta play hide an' seek."

Joxer reluctantly got out from behind the bush, went, and peeked into the building. Strife was standing at the end of the hall. When he saw Joxer he hurried to him. "Quick! Ya gotta come with me!"

"Where?"

"Ta Apollo."

Joxer pulled back from Strife's grasp. "Don't wanna."

"Damn it, Jox, c'mere!" Strife grabbed him. "Unc thinks Apollo nabbed ya, an' there's gonna be war on Olympus if I don't get ya there ta show him it ain't so, so shut up an' hang on tight."

*Flash*

"DUCK!"

Joxer hit the floor, dragged down behind a sofa by Strife, just in time to miss the fireball that whizzed over them. Strife patted him on the back. "Ya gonna hafta learn ta be faster'n that if yer gonna hang around here."

"Can't I just go somewhere safe, like a battlefield? Maybe the Underworld? I hear things can be peaceful in Asphodel."

"Propaganda, kid."

Joxer realized that he heard very loud, very angry voices nearby.

"I cannot BELIEVE that you would just KIDNAP one of my patients! What if the wound reopens?"

"I'm taking care of him. I heard how you were groping him, 'Pol, and I won't have it. The poor nit needs to recuperate in peace."

"You aren't fooling me for a second, Ares. It's not my fault if you can't take care of your pets, and I have to patch them up. What are you going to do if he gets gangrene? He could lose that leg."

"I'm not exactly unfamiliar with wound treatment, and you're not fooling me, either. You only want him because..."

Strife popped up from behind the couch and bellowed, "Company!" He grabbed Joxer's shoulder and pulled him up, too. "Found 'im wanderin around yer backyard, Unc. See? All in one piece--still as pure as when ya left him." He looked at Joxer. "Ya are, aren't ya?"

"Why would you want to know...?"

"Just NOD," Strife hissed. Joxer nodded. "Now quit buildin up that power charge, Unc. Ya know Zeus will be pissed if ya do anythin nasty ta Golden Boy."

Ares flicked his fingers, and the red charge that had been building up on his palm dissipated. He stalked over to Joxer, leaned over the sofa (causing Joxer to lean back, and bump his head), and snapped, "DON'T DO THAT TO ME!"

"I... what... Okay."

"And lie down before you kill yourself."

Joxer started around the sofa, only to find himself swept up into Ares' arms. "I can walk! I can walk!"

"Shut up. I thought I told you not to wiggle around, Joxer."

"I wasn't wiggling. I only walk that way when my pants are too tight."

"I... I'm not going to discuss that right now." He lowered Joxer onto the sofa. "'Pol, get over here and examine him."

Apollo crossed his arms. "Oh, NOW you want my help."

Strife said, "'Pol, hello? Dedication ta tha well-bein of othahs? Remembah that?"

"Piss! All right, stand out of the way, Ares." Apollo went to the sofa. "Damn, Joxer, what's with the black? As pale as you are, you look like a Bacchae in that."

Strife rested his chin on the back of the sofa. "I like it. I think I'll call it 'goth'."

Ares peered around Apollo. "Is that one of my sheets?"

Joxer's voice was small. "I was cold."

Apollo started to raise the hem of the impromptu toga. It was moving toward the groin area when Ares reached out and caught Apollo's wrist. "That's high enough. Everything that you need to look at is uncovered."

"You're a pain in the glutes sometimes, bro. Let go so I can get on with this." Ares did. The shears appeared, and Apollo carefully cut away the dressing. "Judging from the outside of the bandage, I don't THINK there will be a major problem, but stand by to run for supplies." He spread the linen aside, leaning down to run a critical eye over the wound.

He blinked, and leaned closer. Ares tried to look, too, but his view was blocked. He didn't like the silence, though. "What? What's wrong?"

"Um... nothing, actually. That's what's puzzling me."

"Why should you be confused that he's healing?"

"Well, bro, to start with, healing is never a sure thing, not even with gods, dig? I've had things I thought should have cleared up in a couple of days linger for weeks, and vice-versa."

"And?"

"This has me stumped." He took a half step back, indicating that Ares should look.

Ares moved closer and looked. He stared. "I'll be damned."

"Probably," said Apollo dryly.

Where yesterday there had been ragged, gaping, still moistly red flesh, there was now an irregular, shiny, dark pink patch of skin. It was slightly textured, like plaster that had been carelessly smoothed, but it could undoubtedly no longer be classified as a wound. It was now a scar. "What the fuck happened?"

Apollo shrugged. "Search me. I'm good," he traced a finger around the perimeter of the scar. "But I'm not THAT good."



Seeking Balance 7

"I don't get it," said Apollo. "I mean, this rate of healing is unprecidented, even on Olympus. Strife is the quickest healer we have, due to having SO MUCH of it to do, in my humble opinion..."

Strife cackled. *sniff* "Sorry, 'Pol, it's just you usin tha adjective humble ta apply ta anything about yerself. But yer right. It woulda taken me at least a week ta get ta this stage."

Apollo nodded. "And that would have been with the healing potion." Ares and Strife looked at each other. "You didn't." They shrugged. "You COULDN'T have! I had it cleverly hidden."

"Nice portrait," said Strife.

"STRIFE!"

Apollo reached for him. Strife ducked, but he didn't really need to. Ares intercepted his brother. "For once it's not his fault. I TOLD him to bring it."

Apollo threw up his hands, rolling his eyes skyward. Joxer, happy that they seemed to have forgotten about him for the moment, thought, *I know that when I do that, I'm sort of mentally appealing to the gods on Olympus to witness the crap that I'm going through. Why is he doing it? Is there someone we don't know about on a higher level? I'd better not think about that. My head already hurts from trying to keep track of what's going on.*

Apollo was thinking again. "Ares, I've never tried that on a mortal! There's no telling what sort of effect it will have on him."

"From what I can see it's only been a positive effect, so what are you worried about?" said Ares dismissively.

"Uh-huh. And what kind of effect do you think it's going to have on things when Zeus finds out Joxer is now immortal?"

"WHAT?" Strife fell down behind the couch. He could be heard giggling breathlessly. "Shut up, Strife. Apollo, how could this happen."

Again the eye rolling. This time Joxer studied the ceiling warily. "How do you think the healing potion works?"

"How should I know? That's your department. I don't ask Dite how her concoctions make people go all goopy, and I damn sure don't ask Hecate how HER'S do what they do."

Apollo looked at Joxer. "Joxer, how did that last dose of medicine taste?"

Joxer smacked his lips thoughtfully. "Surprisingly nice, actually. Sort of like a mixed fruit punch."

Apollo spread his hands in a 'you see?' gesture. When Ares didn't respond, he shouted. "Apples! Damn, this HAS to be willful ignorance, because you CAN'T be that stupid. Golden apples, Ares. Not a lot, but enough to do the trick for a mortal. Joxer, next time you see Uncle Hades, all you have to worry about is the proper form of address. He'll just be sending you back topside."

Ares sighed. "I can't believe..."

Joxer scrambled to his feet, face flushed. He yelled at Ares, "Why do you hate me so much? What did I ever do to you? All I ever did was worship you, and... and..." He dashed out of the room, sheet flapping.

There was silence. Ares started after Joxer, but Apollo grabbed his arm (a pretty brave thing, when you think about it). "Hang on, Ar. He's upset right now. Give him a few minutes to himself."

"Are you sure he'll be all right?"

Apollo shrugged. "He's immortal, remember? Did you do something to him before Strife brought him back?"

"I left him eating breakfast, and he was gone when I got back. He seemed happy enough. How did we get from there to here?"

"It's strange. I've never heard of a mortal being upset when he found out he was gifted with immortality."

Strife climbed into view. "Maybe cause some mortals might view it as a curse instead of a gift. Ya evah think of that?"

Apparently Apollo hadn't. "He must not realize that eternal youth is included. I can see being upset if you'd have to go on and on, getting all wrinkly and decrepit."

"Not it eithah, Bright Boy. Eithah one of you two thought about what mosta Joxer's life has been like?"

Ares said, "Sure, a warrior's life is hard, but he chose it."

Strife shook his head. "Yer only partly right. It was chosen fah him. His dad dedicated him an' his brothahs to ya when they were still snot noses, remembah? Joxer DID decide ta continue once he grew up, cause it was all he knew, an' by then, well, you were his GOD, Unc. Joxer don't desert people he cares about, no mattah how much he's ignored, or kicked. Ya musta noticed that, right? How long has he been taggin along with Zeen an' Gabs, with nothin ta show fah his loyalty but thumps, condescention, contempt that they don't bothah ta hide, an' tha occasional fish dinnah or pat on tha head, when Zeen is feelin generous?"

"Hearing you put it like that, it makes me want to smash them myself," said Apollo.

Ares sounded doubtful. "It hasn't been THAT bad a life for him, has it?"

Strife shrugged. "Oh, he's been happier in tha last coupla years than he was before. His early life was really pissy, though. I don't know alla it, an' I had wunna his Dad's war horses kick tha old asshole in that nuts, then crush botha his kneecaps." Strife grinned. "I gotta special agreement with Gaia that his neighborhood has more cold, damp weathah than tha climate would usually support."

Strife clambered over the back of the sofa and sat on it. "Since Jox has been nekkid as a jay bird lately, I s'pose ya noticed tha numbah of scars?"

Ares nodded. "I asked, but he didn't want to talk about them. Do you have any idea how he got those lash marks on his calves?"

Strife's expression tightened. "Lessee... those were from tha time Jonas was beatin Joxer's mothah, an' Joxer tried ta stop 'im. Jayce an' Jett had already left home by then. I dunno what the woman had did ta piss Jonas off, but he prob'ly woulda killed tha sad bitch that time, if Joxer hadn't distracted him. First Jonas beat Joxer unconscious. Then he strung him up by his wrists an' spent tha next three days whippin him whenevah he had tha inclination, or energy. He also used anythin that was just layin around handy. Jonas finally let her cut Joxie down, an' she kept him alive, an' nursed him back. Joxer nevah was all that sturdy, ya know, an' he's been a little fragile evah since." Strife looked down at his lap, fingers working restlessly at the leather covering his thighs. "He begged her ta let him die. Said he hoped he could get inta tha fields, but he figured Tartarus couldn't be much worse than what he already had. She guilted him inta wantin ta stay alive."

Ares and Apollo were both regarding Strife with bemusement. This was the longest coherent speech either could remember their nephew making. Ares finally shook his head, as if clearing it. "I'd better go find him." He left the room.

Apollo sat next to Strife. "Since when have you been all sympathetic for a mortal's troubles."

Strife elbowed him. "Look, all children are mine, up to what some people laughinly call tha age of reason. When they start bringin grief down on their heads through their own powah, I lose mosta my interest in 'em. Joxer nevah reached that stage. Tha poor goofus has been a freakin' victim ALL his life, but he's nevah ceased ta believe that things'll get bettah if he just tries hard enough. Now, from most people, that attitude would make me wanna spit, but from Joxer--it's kinda... I dunno... Endearin, I guess. An' if ya tell anyone I said that..."

"I know, I know. Muses with PMS, snapped harp strings, dive bombing birds, loose wheels on my chariot..."

"Ta name only a few of tha delights I'll visit on ya. Deal?"

They shook hands. "Deal. And if YOU tell anyone about THIS..."

"Yer so cute when ya try ta be threatenin."

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Ares searched in a systematic manner. Finally he heard the soft murmur of female voices. *That'll be the Muses. Well, they aren't screaming, but maybe they've seen him. It's worth a shot.* Ares followed the voices. The scene he walked in on was... unexpected, to say the least.

Joxer hiding behind furniture while shrieking Muses threw pottery was believable. Joxer knocked out cold and trussed up would have been even more believable. Joxer, surrounded by petting, cooing Muses, who seemed to be attempting to kill him with kindness, was not believable at all, but there it was. He was ensconced on a comfortable sofa, with his head in the lap of Melpomene, who was stroking his short hair, her usually grave expression sadly tender. Urania was holding his feet, massaging them, carefully wiggling each toe. Euterpe was playing her flute and Clio was playing her lyre as Terpsichore danced before Joxer. Erato and Polyhemia were taking turns feeding the totally baffled new immortal grapes.

Calliope, the senior Muse, and Thalia, the youngest, spotted Ares, and hurried over, shoving him back out of the room before anyone else noticed. Out in the hall, Calliope hissed, "What have you been doing to that poor, sweet little man?"

Ares blinked. "I thought I was going to have to rescue him from you girls."

Thalia snorted. "Huh. It's not us he needs rescuing from. That poor baby. He comes flying into our room, and Mel asks him, very calmly, what he's doing in there, and he just wails, 'Why can't beautiful people ever be HAPPY to see me?'" She smacked Ares with her shepherdess crook.

"Ow! Why are you hitting me?"

"Well, he'd just come from being with you, silly, so you must've been the one he was talking about."

Ares shook his head. "He must've meant Apollo, but that doesn't make sense, either." He scowled. "Apollo would be just TOO damn happy to see Joxer." The two Muses exchanged looks, then started whispering together. Ares couldn't be sure, but he thought he caught the words 'Dite', 'cute', and 'clueless'. "What?"

They smiled at him. "Nothing," said Calliope. "We'd love to keep him, but Apollo draws the line at two footed pets. You'll have to take him home with you."

Ares looked into the room. Urania was trying to convince Joxer to let her paint stars on his toenails. "I don't know. He's immortal now, so there isn't much on earth that would be a threat to him, but up here... Zeus won't like it when he finds out."

"He'll be safe at your place," said Calliope confidently.

"I wish I could be sure."

"With all nine of us, Apollo, Dite, Strife, and Cupid distracting Zeus, he will. We might even get Persephone to kick in, since the fewer times Joxer Hades has to send Jox back, the more time he has to spend with Seph."

Ares eyed the two Muses suspiciously. "Why is everyone suddenly so co-operative?"

He didn't like the way Thalia was giggling. Too much like Strife when he was up to something. "Just keep him at your Olympic temple for a few months, letting him get adjusted to his new state, before you toss him out." She glared. "He's had enough of that in his life."

"I suppose I can do that. He's already proved he can keep himself amused." Ares walked into the room. "Joxer."

Joxer swallowed a grape the wrong way and started coughing. The seven Muses around him were immediately thumping him on the back and shoulders (or, in anxiety, anyplace they could reach). Consequently he was getting pretty lustily thumped. As she whacked him, gentle Euterpe was trying to reassure him. "Don't be scared, Joxer. Remember, you can't die now. Choking feels rotten, sure, but it can't kill you."

"Really, ladies, I'm okay," he said hoarsely. He caught whatever flying hands he could. "PLEASE don't distress yourselves over me."

"Are you ready to go now?" asked Ares. His voice was more subdued than usual. Calliope and Thalia went around, whispering in the ears of their sisters. Soon all of them were looking at Ares with small, secret smiles. "I'd really like to get home. I feel like I'm about to be overwhelmed by estrogen." Joxer gave him a questioning look. "I don't know. It's something female, like testosterone is something male. Strife is continually bringing back unearthly concepts from the future. It just sounded right in this instance." Joxer stared at him doubtfully. Ares held out his hand. "Joxer?"

Joxer had never heard his name said like that. It was as if there was a whole string of thoughts and feelings, a whole epic poem of a story, in those two syllables, Ares said it in just that tone. *I think I might be able to figure it out if I just sat with him for a long, long time, and listened to him say it over and over again. That won't happen. But maybe if I go with him I can hear it one more time--if I'm lucky.* He gently disengaged himself from the Muses and stood up, going to stand beside Ares. He bowed to the women. "Ladies, I'm sorry I intruded, and I thank you for your kindness."

"It's all right, Joxer," said Melpmene softly. "You come back and see us sometime--some time when you're feeling better."

Ares took Joxer's hand. Joxer looked down at them, then up at Ares. "I have to transport us." *Why am I explaining this to him? * "I know it makes you sick, but we can't go walking around outside right now."

"It's okay."

*Flash*

The Muses started chattering happily. Erato said, "So, which one of them do you think will snap to it first?"

Melpone said, "Joxer. He already knows he loves Ares. He just doesn't know he's IN LOVE with him."

"Is it just going to be a fling, or are they going to STAY together for a few decades?" asked Polyhymia. "I already like the little guy, and I don't want to get too attached if he's going to be sent away in just thirty or forty years."

Calliope said, "I'd say it's going to last, and it's going to be HOT. After all, Aphrodite AND Cupid are involved. Now, lets come up with suggestions as to what to do to that snot bard who's been so mean to him."

"Oo, oo! I know!" Thalia waved her hand. "Every comic writer in Greece is suddenly going to start naming all their most haggish female characters Gabrielle!"

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

*Flash*

They had appeared in Ares study. "Sit down." Joxer took one of the chairs before Ares' desk. He was a little surprised when the War God didn't go behind the desk, but instead too the chair beside him. Ares materialized a cup of wine and offered it to Joxer. "Here. You probably need this." Joxer took the wine and gulped it down. "That's some of Dionyses' best, Joxer. Do that again, and you'll probably slide right out of that chair." He tapped the side of the cup again, and it refilled. "I mingled that one with some water. Sip it."

Ares slumped more comfortably in his chair, stretching out his legs and crossing them at the ankles. "I'm still not entirely sure how you got it into your head that I purposefully did something to hurt you."

Joxer flushed. "I'm sorry. I was sort of freaked out."

"Learning you're never going to die can do that to you, I suppose. Joxer, I was trying to make you live, I wasn't trying to make you live forever. Immortality isn't something to be handed out willie- nillie. As a matter of fact, Zeus sees it as his own personal perogative. Any god or goddess who wants to bestow immortality on a particularly worthy mortal has to go through an approval process that you wouldn't BELIEVE! Lots of times the mortal in question just goes ahead and dies of old age before a decision is reached." He cocked his head. "Eventhough it was a mistake on everyone's part, you sort of slipped in under the wire, and Zeus would NOT appreciate that. I'm sure you can understand why it would be better to keep this information from him for as long as possible."

"You get no arguements from me there."

"Good. Then you see that it's essential that you stay here."

"Wouldn't I be better off farther away from him, on earth?"

"Think, Joxer. You're in all sorts of dangerous situations on Earth. It's a miracle that Hades hasn't already sorted you. If you keep dying, then reappearing, don't you think that rumor will get back to Zeus?"

"There is that. Gabrielle alone would spread it over Greece, because she wouldn't be able to resist writing a few ballads about it."

"So you'll stay here till things are sorted out."

"Okay. And I was wondering... You know that garden?"

Ares frowned. "I had that for Aphrodite when she was expecting Cupid. I haven't been out there in ages."

"I was wondering. I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands. Do you suppose I could sort of work with it?"

"Why?" Joxer's expression, which had been brightening, drooped. "I'm not saying no, I'm just curious. If you really want a good garden, I could ask Demeter or Gaia if they'd whip it into shape for you."

"Oh, no, please!" Joxer said quickly. "I'm not ungrateful for the offer, it's just that... Well, I was allowed to tend the vegetable gardens when I was a kid..."

*Allowed? I bet you were strapped to within an inch of your life if Jonas thought you weren't being busy enough.*

"...but I was never allowed to do anything with, like, ornamental plants. Since I left home, I've never been in any one place long enough. Since I'm going to be here for awhile, I thought it would just be nice to grow something, and know that -I- was the one who was tending it, helping it along."

"I don't see any reason why not. Just let me or Strife know what you need, and we'll get it for you." Joxer beamed, and Ares blinked. *It's like Apollo driving his chariout out from behind a cloud when he does that.* "Anything else?"

Joxer nodded, then said hesitantly, "If it isn't too much trouble." Ares shrugged. "If I'm going to be staying, and I'm not going to be bedridden, can I please have some more clothes? I'd like some pants. This sheet is very smooth, but it's also kinda drafty."

Ares tilted his head, studying Joxer. "Are you positive that your wound isn't giving you ANY discomfort?"

"Not a twinge." Joxer shivered as a crackle of red static ran over him, from head to toe.

"I can't do anything about the hair--that'll just have to grow back by itself, though why the healing potion didn't regenerate it, I'll never know."

Joxer looked down at himself. He was wearing a simple white linen shirt, and brown leather pants and boots. "Wow! I haven't had anything this nice since my last set of 'go to temple' clothes when I was a kid!" He hopped up to try out the boots, walking slowly across the room. "And these boots are... are better than SEX! Um, well, maybe not THAT good, but BOY, are they comfortable! Can I go out and look at the garden again? I want to start planning what I'm going to do with it."

"Just stay out of the audience room."

"Will do!"

Joxer walked out slowly, again keeping his eyes admiringly on his new footwear. He didn't notice how closely Ares was watching him. When he was gone, Ares muttered, "I'll be damned. He DOES wiggle in tight pants."



Part Eight: Settling In

Ares stood, glanced upwards, and called, "Eris!"

There was a crackle, and his twin appeared, looking impatient and irritated, as usual. "What's up, and make it quick. I left a hot king of thieves tied up behind the altar at one of my temples. If I don't hurry, he'll be limp where it counts, and stiff where it won't do me any good."

"There's going to be someone around for the next two or three months. No killing or maiming, and try not to scare him shitless, if you can help it."

"What? Did you have a 'win a vacation with your god' contest for your mortal warlords?"

"No, it's a worshipper I'm... uh... sort of doing a favor for."

Eris had been preparing to transport, not really expecting any kind of substantial answer, and now she paused. "You mean a plain old mortal-mortal?"

Ares chewed his lip. "Not exactly."

Now she sat down. "Ar, they either are, or they aren't. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of in between."

"Well, he's human, but he's not mortal anymore."

"Oh, crap. You didn't leave a golden apple laying around, did you? Zeus will be PISSED--not to mention Gaia."

"I don't think we have to worry about Gaia. Any woman with the least bit of softness in her heart seems to direct it toward him."

"Joxer, huh?"

He stared at her. "How the TARTARUS do you know that?"

She shrugged. "I've had a few chances to gut him, and for some reason I never do. I can't explain it. I guess part of it is because he's good comedy relief. Oh, and he's terrific at spreading chaos, whether he means to or not, but this is going some, even for him. How did this happen?"

Ares explained the situation as quickly and as plainly as possible, but he found that he was rambling a little verbally. "And now I think his speech mannerisms are rubbing off on me. Are you SURE you didn't have twins when you had Strife and just misplace one of them?"

"You think Hera would have let me get away with that? Okay, he's safe enough from me, and I'll kick in with the misdirection if it looks like His Royal Goatiness is getting suspicious." She stood up. "But you'd better figure out what you're going to do with him, bro. Let him hang around too long, and people will start to talk." She flashed away.

Ares thought of the Muses, Aphrodite, and Cupid. "What do you mean START?"

Ares went in search of Joxer, and found him outside. The new immortal was walking around the perimeter of the garden, muttering to himself intently. *That's it--he's crazy.*

As he approached, though, Ares listened more closely. "Let's see-- nice even rectangle. Maybe I can plant bushes along the wall to hide them. Not all the same kind, though--that would look too formal, too stiff. Not roses, but I'll have roses scattered through the garden. Azalea, laurel, forsythia, hydrangea. Boy, a lot of them end in 'eeah', don't they? Oo, and hibiscus, LOTS of hibiscus! They have such vivid colors. Will they grow here?"

"Everything will grow here, Joxer. Just tell me what you need, and I'll have Gaia take care of it."

Joxer didn't seem the least startled. He said quickly, "But would you ask her to just bring the seeds, or bulbs, or slips, or whatever they are, and not just zap them into full growth? I mean, I'd appreciate the effort, but I'd kind of like to... I like to see little things grow."

"Most of the divinities don't bother with that, aside from Gaia and Hera."

"Really? But you have all the time--you could see it ALL. I mean, you could watch a tree go from an acorn to an oak as thick as a barrel. Why don't the gods like that? It's amazing, and after all, you all are pretty much responsible for things like that."

"I don't know, Joxer. I guess that we've just seen it for so long that we've sort of forgotten how amazing it can be." Joxer was on his knees, and as Ares spoke, he was carefully pulling weeds from around several rather sickly looking plants. "What are you doing now?"

"These are daffodils, but they're almost choked out. After I pull these weeds, they'll get the space and sunlight they need, and bloom."

"So that's your first campaign--to get rid of all the weeds?"

"No, no!" He reached out and touched a vivid yellow blossom, with scalloped leaves. "What would a garden be without a few dandelions? What would children pick to give their mothers? I like dandelions. I wrote a poem about them ones."

"Did you? Say it for me."

Joxer paused in his weeding, looking up in surprise. "You want to hear it?"

"I asked, didn't I?"

"Gabby said it's just a nursery rhyme."

"Nursery rhymes are our first verses, Joxer. If a child doesn't love nursery rhymes, how can they learn to love poetry? Go on, let me hear it."

Joxer cleared his throat. He didn't look at Ares, fixing his eyes instead on the simple weed. "Every day the children pass, yellow coins upon the grass. Tiny suns or lemon pies--dandelions through children's eyes. Golden treasures, grown from seeds. Never call them only weeds." He shrugged. "I told you it wasn't much."

"You need to say that one for Bliss. He'll like it. Make a list of the tools and supplies you'll need, and I'll get them for you tomorrow. I'm sure I can get most of them from Demeter. She'll be happy to know that there's someone as interested in gardening as she is. I need to tell you about how the house operates. Have you seen the bathing chamber?"

Joxer nodded. "Wow. Does that pool stay hot?"

"Yes, unless you want it to be cool. You'll have to tell me if you do."

"No, hot is fine! Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a hot bath? They charge like they're pouring molten gold at most of the inns."

"I may have to be away for a couple of days at a time, or even more, but if I'm not here, I'll make arrangements for someone to be bring you have food--Strife, Eris, Dite, Cupid--someone. I think that the Muses will be willing to set up a meals by chariot service, just for you. Now, sleeping arrangements." v "Um, yeah. If you have a couch or something around, I'll be fine. I mean, I've spent the last few years sleeping on the ground most of the time."

"And that's what you're comparing my hospitality to?"

"NO! I mean..."

Ares sighed. "I was making a joke."

"Oh."

"Or rather I was TRYING to. There's a room..." He was watching Joxer, watching his open expression become more guarded, and he came to a decision, mentally erasing the door to the (quite comfortable, if a bit dark) spare bedroom, "but it's sort of been in use as a, um, holding pen. It's kind of nasty--moldy straw, chains, bloodstains, you know... Not very cheerful. It would be better if you kept sleeping in my room for the time being."

"You wouldn't mind?"

"I don't do much if I don't want to, Joxer. Haven't you noticed? Look, immortal or not, you don't need to be overdoing it so soon after you were hurt. That's enough work for today. I have to go throw the fear of myself into a general who's been getting a little lax. I'll leave a cold supper on the table in my room. If Phobos or Deimos show up, don't get spooked--the look almost as much like Strife as you look like your brothers. I think it might be a good idea to go ahead and give you a mark, so they and anyone else who drop by will know that you're off limits. Will you accept my mark, Joxer?"

Joxer blinked at Ares. His voice had suddenly gotten formal, and Joxer realized that this was not a casual question. *Taking a god's mark IS serious. It designates that you're theirs, and they don't just hand them out. I know that Dite really likes me, but even she hasn't asked that. And he could just TELL me he was doing it instead of asking. After all, I was dedicated to him when I was just a kid-- he's owned me since then.* He looked into Ares' dark eyes, trying to figure out just why he was doing this. Then he thought, *Who am I kidding? I'd have belonged to him even if I was dedicated to Zephyr.* "Yes."

Ares nodded. Joxer shivered slightly as Ares reached out and undid the first few buttons of his shirt, pushing it off his right shoulder. He placed his palm flat, just over Joxer's heart. "This will burn, Joxer. It can't be helped." Joxer felt the heat pass from Ares' hand and into his flesh. Joxer gritted his teeth, determined not to make a sound. It hurt as badly as that hot poker had, *but this is different, different from when Father did that, because Ares isn't TRYING to hurt me. He's doing this to keep me safe--for always.*

Ares pulled his hand away, and the pain started to fade immediately. Joxer looked down, and there was a dark mark, not much bigger than a dinar, just over his heart. It was simple and graceful, looking a little like two slightly curved shepherd's crooks, back to back. "Just show that to anyone who makes you nervous," Ares instructed. "They'll know that they're taking their life, immortal or not, in their hands if they harm you."

Joxer bowed his head. "I'll try to be worthy of it, my lord."

"I know you will."

*Flash*

Joxer used the bathing chamber, luxuriating in the steamy water for almost an hour. It was a treat to be able to stretch out instead of sitting in tepid water with his knees almost to his chest, listening to some inn owner banging on the door and telling him to get his ass out of the tub because the next customer was waiting. He had a leisurely dinner, then found some scrolls on a shelf in Ares' study. He was rather surprised to find that they were not treatises on strategy or weapons. One of them was an interesting history of Chin, and some of its philosophies. He'd never been able to afford anything like that himself, so he brought it to the bedroom and sat cross-legged on the bed to read it.

He was engrossed when he suddenly realized that there was a sizzling sound. He'd been rubbing his head absently, and there was a crackle of static electricity. "Ow!" He laid aside the scroll quickly, thinking, *Ares coming, and he's pissed.*

*FLASH!*

Ares appeared in the middle of the room. Joxer leaped up in alarm. The War God was wild-eyed, and clutching a gore dripping sword. His vest was split, and there was a shallow gash across his chest, blood smearing his chest and matting the dark hairs.

"I warned him!" he shouted. "I WARNED the stupid cocksucker. I knew he was a little unbalanced, but I had no idea he was THAT crazy."

"Ares, what happened?"

Ares shook the sword, and Joxer winced as blood droplets spattered his face. "I was just going to let him know that I was watching, that I knew he was second guessing my orders, and that I wasn't going to stand for it any more. I DIDN'T WANT TO FUCKING KILL HIM!"

"Why don't you let me take the sword? You could hurt yourself, waving it around like that." Joxer held out his hands.

Ares stared at him in disbelief. Joxer crooked his fingers. Ares handed the weapon over slowly. Joxer placed it on the table. "I'll clean this up for you after we get you taken care of. Come sit down and I'll get something to clean you up." Still watching Joxer, he went and sat on the bed, slipping off his vest while Joxer poured water into a basin and carried it over to the bedside table, concentrating so hard on not spilling it that the tip of his tongue poked out the side of his mouth.

Joxer sponged away the blood. "You've already stopped bleeding. I guess that's a god thing, huh?"

"Yes."

"Good. That jar--that's what you put on my wound, isn't it? I'll use that. I'm glad you didn't throw away the spare bandages. I think that they're long enough to wrap around your chest. I THINK so, but you are pretty broad across the back, and deep-chested. Actually, you're just sort of big, period. Do you have a hard time finding clothes that fit? No, of course not--you sparkle them up. That must be convenient.*

"Joxer, don't you want to know what I did?"

Joxer was measuring off lengths of linen strips. "I don't think I could keep a pad on that, so I'm just going to have to wrap enough layers so that it's covered. Gabby doesn't usually let me work with the bandaging. Usually the ones I tend end up looking like one of those Egyptian dead guys, except that they keep all their internal organs. You'll tell me if you think I should know. I'm sure you had a good reason. Can you lift your arms without it hurting too much?"

Instead of replying, Ares held his arms to his side, and Joxer began to wind the bandages around him. Every time Joxer passed the roll of cloth behind Ares and reached for it with his other hand, he almost embraced the War God. Ares watched the intent look on Joxer's face. "He thought he was going to depose me as God of War."

Joxer's head jerked up, and he stared into Ares' face in astonishment. "You're right--he WAS crazy."

Ares sighed, the rage and tension that had been ruling him since he'd had to draw his weapon seeping away. "He used to be a good general-- one of my best. I honestly don't know where it went wrong. Even his highest officers didn't know what he was planning. I spared them." Ares' expression twisted. "But he did it in front of his son, Joxer. His SON! The boy was only seventeen, he hadn't even been in his first battle." Ares rubbed his forehead. "Damn it. The boy believed in his father implicitly. When the general attacked me, he backed him up." Ares' voice dropped. "I had to kill him, too." Joxer was tying off the bandage. Ares touched it. "He was the one who gave me this, after I killed his father. What a waste. He'd have been a magnificent warrior some day. Hades will send him to the Fields. I just hope the father regains his senses in Asphodel, but you never know. There are plenty of insane shades."

"Ares? You're going to think I'm crazy for what I'm about to say. Heh. Why you be any different from most of the world. But I want to make a suggestion--let it go."

"What?"

"Let it go. You did what you had to do. Even if it hadn't been self- defense, you couldn't allow a maniac to take over your godhood. Would that have even been possible?"

"We don't discuss things like that."

"Understood. Anyway, you couldn't let such an important position fall into the hands of someone who was unbalanced. It would be too dangerous."

"Joxer, you ARE aware that most mortals think -I- am unbalanced?"

Joxer thought about this. "Things can be hard to understand when you're seeing them from the bottom. I mean, if you're standing at the foot of a cliff, it's easy to shout at someone on top, but you ought to admit that they're going to be able to see the army in the next valley that's sneaking up on you a lot sooner than you can. Um, not YOU, but... You know what I mean."

"Surprisingly enough, I do. Thank you, Joxer."

Joxer flushed. "Is that wine in that ewer over there? Why don't you take off your boots... Wait, I'll HELP you take off your boots--I know they can sort of stick sometimes. You can lay down, and I'll bring you some wine, then I'll clean your sword off for you before the blood gets all gluey, all right?"

*When was the last time someone volunteered to do something like that for me? I've had some offer to LICK my blade clean, but those sort always worry me a little.* "That would be appreciated."

"Okie-dokie. Stick out your foot." Ares lifted one foot straight out. Joxer turned his back to Ares, then stepped over the god's leg, gripping his boot. "Put your foot on my butt and push."

Ares stared. Joxer, legs slightly spread, straddling Ares' leg, bent over. Ares looked down at his fly. *Great. Wait until I'm wounded to get interested.* He put his foot against the leather coated buttocks and pushed. The boot popped off, and they repeated the action.

Joxer set the boots neatly beside the bed and brought Ares a goblet of wine. He watched as Joxer took more of the bandages and proceeded to clean his sword, working with patient thoroughness, and he suddenly realized that there was nothing more that he wanted to do than spend the rest of the night watching Joxer, and maybe listening to him rattle on about some nonsense.

Joxer looked up, catching his gaze, and smiled.

*Well,* thought Ares, *maybe ONE other thing.*



Seeking Balance 9: By Scribe

The Next Morning

"Yer in a good mood t'day, Unc."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, when that sentry questioned ya, ya just hung 'im up in that tree."

"I put him at the TOP, and it's a TALL tree, Strife."

"Yah, but ya hung 'im by his belt insteada his intestines."

"You're right. Well, shit, I don't want to look like I'm changing my mind, but I don't want to look soft, either. Send him something to make it interesting."

"Bees, or loose boweled birds?"

"Mmm... both."

"I take that first remark back--yer a combination of good mood an' pissed off."

"I didn't sleep much last night."

Strife grinned at Ares. "How is he?"

"Pre-occupied with planning the garden, and..." Strife was giggling. Ares scowled, realizing the innuendo had gone right over his head. "I wouldn't know."

"Yet?"

"Just DROP IT."

"Well, if ya weren't knockin boots, what kept ya up? Does he snore? Kick? Drool?"

"He BREATHES."

"Most mortals do, Unc. I mean, now that he's immortal, he could prob'ly hold his breath a LONG ass time, but it's pretty uncomfortable, an' ya hafta CONCENTRATE. If he's too loud, just flip him on his side, an' that should quiet 'im down."

"He's not loud--he's just... THERE." Ares was staring off into the middle distance. "He sort of pulsates."

"Now yer bein weird."

Ares shook his head, as if to clear it. "I just mean that he's so close that I can feel his body heat, and if he accidentally touches me, I can feel his pulse beating, just under his skin."

Strife stared at Ares, knowing that the War God didn't realize what he was saying. *Son of a bitch. I knew Unc had tha hots fah Joxer, but he's got it BAD. Has Cupie been messin around in his Dad's love life? Much as Ares loves him, he'd pluck Cupe an' stuff a pillah if he thought Blondie was messin in his love life.*

"I have to go. Hephastus is working up a bunch of garden tools for him. I'm having him spell them so that they won't cut skin--just in case."

"Smaht move."

Hephastus was honing the blade of a hoe when Ares arrived. "Ares. I'll have this done in a moment. Are you sure you don't want me to put a self-sharpening spell on them? It'll save a lot of time."

"No. Joxer seems pretty set on doing things the mortal way."

Hephastus chuckles, running his thumb along the edge critically. "Imagine that--a human willing to do things the hard way. You won't find many of those."

"I get the feeling he's pretty unique."

"Really?" Hephastus began to bundle tools into a small, three- wheeled cart. "I made this for him, too--my compliments. I thought that he was one of three?"

"He's a triplet, but it's sort of like it is with Apollo and Artemis, or Eris and I--different similarities. Or is that similar differences?"

Hephastus was staring at him. "When did you stop making sense?"

"I have no idea. Is that all? I'm still not entirely comfortable with leaving him alone in my temple."

"I don't think he could really HURT it, Ares."

"I'm not worried about that--I'm worried about what might wander in. I gave him my mark..." he didn't notice Hephastus' surprised, speculative look, "but you know how quick some of the Olympians are. They might do something--THEN check. The Bacchae are particularly bad about that."

Ares took the tools and flashed away. Hephastus went home earlier than he had planned, and located his wife, who was carefully painting her toenails coral pink. He took over the job. "My dear, what is this about Ares and that human he's taken into his home?"

Dite's eyes narrowed. "Who told you about that?"

"I'm not sure. I think you did."

"Did I?" She relaxed. "That's all right, then. Poo, this is becoming one of the most open secrets on Olympus. Let's see, who do we REALLY need to keep it from? Zeus, of course. I'm not sure about Hera. She might keep the secret, just because she'd know that it would piss Zeus off. Then again, she might TELL him for exactly the same reason, so we'd better keep her out of the loop. Athena had better not know--she'll do anything she can to undermine Ares with Zeus. We probably don't have to worry about Bacchus, since Zeus doesn't give that vino veratis stuff much credit. Janus doesn't meddle, and Hecate is a witch, so she'll ENJOY having a secret..."

"Dear, if you're going to list every godling on Olympus, we'll be here till the Twilight. Do you want another coat on these?"

She kissed him. "No, that will do." *sigh* "This has to work out, Heph. I've been worried about Ares--he's been too wrapped up in his work."

"He IS War."

"Yes, but he's himself, too--aside from his godhood. I think he's been forgetting that. He NEEDS something else in his life, and Joxer is just perfect for that. If I can just get Ares to REALIZE that, he'll be so much more stable, and it'll be good for everyone." She giggled. "Except Zeus, of course. I can almost see the veins in his neck swelling now."

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Ares hauled a dripping, choking Joxer up out of the pond. "Joxer, how in the name of Asphodel did you manage to do THIS?" He began untangling the slimey mass of dark green vines that were twined around just about every visible portion of Joxer's body.

"I don't know. I just waded in to start thinning out the water plants, and I slipped. Are you SURE that these things don't move on their own? I'd swear I could feel them wrapping around me on purpose. I don't see how I could have gotten this snared just by rolling around a few times."

"No, these are plain old earthly plants. Hecate's the only one who really favors the sentient greenery. Word of advise--NEVER go walking in her greenhouse unless she's just gotten through feeding the carnivorous plants. You couldn't have waited for me to bring the tools?"

"Ares? Me, swinging something sharp, underwater, around my feet?"

"Right."

"I'll be more careful, though. I won't go out past my knees till I get it thinned out some. Whoops!" He suddenly jumped and began to wiggle in a very distracting manner. "That is the WEIRDEST..." He stuck his hand down the front of his pants.

"Joxer..." *Oh, PLEASE don't grope yourself right in front of me! I won't be able to stand it, and outdoor sex is great, but if I just jump you now...*

Now he was reaching down the back of his pants. "ZEUS, this tickles!"

Ares closed his eyes. *If he doesn't stop...*

"THERE you are!" Ares' eyes popped open. Joxer was dangling a tiny fish, no longer than his pinky, between his thumb and forefinger. He grinned at Ares. "I didn't think there were any fish left alive in there. I caught him just in time. He was *ahem* heading for parts unknown. I guess that after he'd been swimming around in that muck that it wouldn't seem so smelly in my..." He turned scarlet, and flipped the fish quickly into the water, where it darted away with a flick of its tail. "He was just panic stricken. Wow, what a great load of tools!"

Ares dragged himself back from some mental images. "I got what you asked for, and I think Hephastus threw in a few he thought you might need. You can try them out tomorrow. Come on, you're all mucky. Time to get cleaned up."

As they entered the temple, Joxer said, "That bathing chamber is really fantastic. I've had to freeze my butt so many times, bathing in a river, that I can really appreciate it. You know what would be a good idea? If they could arrage to have something like that in inns. They could give it a special name, and use it as a selling point. I'm not sure how--Salmoneous is better at things like that. Maybe... a hot tub. Yeah, that covers the facts. It's a sort of a tub to bathe in, and it's HOT--you don't have to have someone dragging in buckets of hot water to pour over you again and again." They'd reached the bathing chamber and Joxer began stripping, dropping his clothes beside the pool. "That can be really embarrassing. You can never really relax, because someone might come in, and... You're taking your clothes off."

"I always do when I bathe. I went in after you, Joxer, and in case you didn't notice, I'm just as slimed as you are. Go on and get in the pool, before that shit starts to form a crust." He pushed his pants down.

Joxer jerked off his own pants while Ares was bent over, and then dived head-first into the pool before the god could straighten back up. He figured that he'd better hide his incipient erection as quickly as possible.

"Don't do that again, or you might crack your skull," warned Ares, wading into the water.

Joxer back pedalled toward the other side of the pool. "You ought to stay there. You don't need to get your bandage wet."

"Joxer, I just got through being doused in pond water, remember? Besides," Ares unwound the bandages, and all that was left of the gash was a pink line across his chest, parting the dark hair. "Divine healing, remember? In a couple of days this will be shrunk and faded. You'll hardly notice it." He tossed the bandages up on the side of the pool, then waded toward Joxer.

Joxer started working his way along the side of the pool, babbling brightly. "Wow! Look at this tileing over here. Is that a mosaic? It is. What detail. It's men and women, and they're... uh... Oh, boy. And here it's just guys, and they're... they're... Wow."

"Aphrodite decorated. I drew the line at pink marble, but the orgy mosaic seemed like a good idea. You can't get clean if you just keep floating around." They were right by the area where the soap was stored, within easy reach. Ares reached out and scooped some soft paste out of a dish, and began to scrub it over his torso. It foamed immediately, creating a lather. "Go on."

Joxer dipped up a dab of the soft soap and started to wash his hands with it. *I have to stall. He'll finish and get out, and then I can get rid of this boner without him finding out and maybe drowning me. Can I drown now? Well, he could certainly try...*

"Zeus, Joxer! You'll be here all night." Ares dug out another handful of soap, and grabbed Joxer's shoulder with his other hand. Joxer squeaked as Ares splatted the soap right in the middle of his chest and began to rub it in vigorously. "I haven't had to actually bathe anyone since Bliss was little, but I'm sure I can remember." Ares' hand passed over Joxer's nipples in a combination of slightly rough fingers and slippery soap. Ares paused, eyebrows climbing, as he felt the stiff points poking against his palm. He rubbed more slowly, watching Joxer's face. The redness creeping into his cheeks wasn't just from the heat of the bath.

Ares' grip on Joxer slid along his shoulder, to cup the back of his neck. "But then, this isn't anything like bathing my son, thank Olympus."

"Ares... I..." Ares hand slid down Joxer's torso, under the water, and bumped his erection. He closed his eyes. "Peoplegethardinthebathallthetimenothingpersonal." Joxer twitched as he felt the tickle of Ares beard on his neck. *Oo, damn, he's gonna BITE me.*

Then there was the brush of lips against his ear. "You mean that isn't because of me? I must be losing my touch, then."

He squeezed lightly and, before he could stop himself, Joxer gasped, "Your touch is just fine!"

He bit his lip in dismay, but Ares was chuckling. "Good. I was wondering if I was going to have to keep chasing you around this pool all evening. I don't mind pursuing what I want, but it wastes so much time that could be spent in more pleasant activities."

He turned them so that Joxer had his back against the side of the pool, then moved up till their bodies were pressed together. Joxer's eyes got big when he felt the hard length of Ares' erection slide along his groin, and he looked quickly into his god's face. Ares nodded. "That ISN'T just a bathtub erection, it's because of you." Ares humped against Joxer slowly, and the mortal grabbed his shoulders as his knees went weak. "That's better." He DID bite Joxer, but very lightly, nipping at the side of his neck, then licking the slight sting. "You DO understand that the sleeping on opposite sides of the bed, pretending to ignore each other shit is OVER?" Joxer wrapped his arms around Ares' neck, and his legs around his waist. "Good. Just so we're clear. But we're not making it to the bedroom this time."

Ares reached down and cupped Joxer's ass, then carried him over to the shallow end of the pool, and sat down. He ended up waist deep in water, with Joxer sitting on his lap. He held Joxer's head, cupping either side of his face, and kissed him, slowly and deeply. He was pleased when Joxer sucked his tongue, making tiny, pleased noises in the back of his throat. Ares skimmed some of the lather off Joxer's shoulders, and pulled his head back far enough to whisper, "Raise up a little." Joxer obeyed, and Ares slid his hand back under him, along the crease of his ass. He quickly located the little hole he sought, and sank a finger in up to the second knuckle. Joxer gasped, letting his forehead drop down on Ares' shoulder. "How much of this have you done?" *I don't really want to know his history, but I need to know how experienced he is.*

"I've sort of played around some," Joxer's voice was breathy. "Mostly just my own fingers. My friend Meg has this thing she calls a Spinster's Comfort, and she swears it's safe, but I only used it once. I kept worrying about splinters."

"Mm, there's something to keep in mind for later. But I meant with other men, Joxer."

"Oh. Nothing." He rolled his head and peeked up at Ares. "I'm not exactly sought after. There was this one mercenary who got me drunk and was going to try something, but throwing up on him sort of spoiled his mood."

Ares frowned. "Can you remember his name?"

"Something-or-other-us."

*I can't very well kill everone that name would fit. I'd depopulate Greece.* Joxer was pushing back, and Ares' finger slid in deeper. *It can wait.* Ares slid a second finger in beside the first, reveling in the little cooing noise that Joxer made. He worked patiently as they kissed again, stretching his fingers apart gradually. He knew that the first penetration would hurt some, and he wanted to make it as good for Joxer as he could. Finally he mumbled against Joxer's mouth. "Are you ready?"

In response, Joxer raised up, pulling free of the probing fingers, reached down, and gripped Ares' rigid cock. He quickly smeared a thick coat of soap on the turgid flesh, then stared into Ares' face and slowly began to sink down. Ares grabbed at Joxer's waist to help steady him. He felt Joxer spread, then his cockhead was encased in moist heat, and his head fell back as he groaned.

Joxer froze, a slightly dazed, surprised look on his face as he adjusted to the feeling. The reality of what was happening had finally struck him. He was having sex with his god. He was taking into his body the flesh of the man he'd worshipped... *no, loved. I love him* for as long as he could remember. And judging from the look on Ares' face and the sounds he was making, he wasn't doing a bad job of it, either.

"You're going to have to move." Ares voice was hoarse.

"Sorry." Joxer began to lower himself slowly, wincing a little. It burned as his back channel was forced open--but it felt good, too.

"Stop apologizing, damm it." Ares was now fully embedded. He could feel Joxer's balls nestling just above where their bodies joined. "Damn, you're TIGHT."

"I need to wait a minute. Can I wait a minute?"

Ares wrapped his arms around Joxer, pulling him even closer, till their chests were pressed together, and Joxer's own hard-on was trapped between their bellies. Ares kissed him, probing forcefully with his tongue, then said, "Just tell me when you're ready."

Ares contined kissing him, and not just on the mouth. Joxer quickly discovered that, where Ares was concerned, his entire body seemed to be an erogenous zone. The ache was fading, replaced by a delicious sense of fullness--COMPLETENESS. "Please."

"Now?"

"Please, yes, please."

The water helped. Ares was able to lift Joxer easily, sliding him a few inches up, before dropping him back down. Joxer whimpered with pleasure from the friction. He shifted a little on one of the downward slides, and his eyes flew wide in surprise as a hot burst of intense pleasure rode through him. "Uh! What did you DO?"

"What is it?"

"That was so GOOD! Is it a god thing?"

Ares laughed. "Apollo has a particular name for it, but it's just your special spot, Joxer. All men have it--the smart or lucky ones figure out how to use it. You've never had it touched before?"

Joxer shook his head emphatically, damp hair flying. "Believe me, THIS I would have remembered." He tipped his chin down, then looked up at Ares almost shyly. "Could you do it again?"

"I can damn sure try."

It took another couple of minutes of experimenting with different angles (all of which was enjoyed by both), but Ares finally found the exact right angle that would cause his cockhead to rub over Joxer's prostate on almost every thrust. They moved together, faster and harder. The water around them churned, splashing out onto the surrounding tiles as their coupling grew more active.

Joxer yelped, clinging to Ares as his first orgasm with a man ripped through him. Ares grinned in fierce satisfaction as he felt the warm sperm splash his chest, and felt the squeezing ripples that passed through Joxer's ass. It was like being stroked by Joxer's internal muscles. Another few thrusts, jamming the now pliant body down firmly on his spearing prick, and Ares came, too. As he felt the hot gush of Ares' seed fill him, Joxer felt a sense of warmth over his heart, where Ares had placed his mark. *No, not over it--IN it. If I wasn't his before, I am now. He's marked me in every way, inside and out. No matter what happens, even if he sends me away--I'll always be his.*

"What was that, Joxer?"

*Did I SAY that? Oh, Zeus. No pressure, Ares. I just love you.*

"Joxer?"

"I said is this what they mean by good, clean fun?" There was a moment of silence, then Joxer both heard and felt Ares rumble of laughter, and he relaxed. *Maybe I can tell him--some day. But if I HAVE to tell him--maybe I shouldn't.* Joxer once again rested his head on Ares' shoulder, and wondered when his life had gotten so complicated.



Seeking Balance 10

Aphrodite was picking at her dinner, frowning in thought, when she suddenly sat bolt upright, a smile streaking across her face. Her husband watched her indulgently. "That must be a good one."

She concentrated, then her smile softened. "A first time. Oh, Heph--it's Ares and Joxer! I am SO right about them. Now, if Ares will just tone down the bull-headed 'I don't need love, sex will do me just fine' attitude..."

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Joxer woke up with an odd combination of discomfort and comfort. For one thing, his ass ached, and so did the muscles in his thighs--particularly the inner ones. On the other hand... He stretched luxuriously, grinning with his eyes closed. This sort of relaxed, smug feeling could only come after a night of kick-ass sex. He'd have probably achieved this state just from the encounter in the bathing chamber--but then there'd been the rug, and the bed. He couldn't come any more after the second time, but he could still enjoy the sensations that Ares caused. *Boy, has he got stamina. He claims that no one, god or otherwise, can do it forever, but I dunno. He could make a pretty good run at it from my standpoint.*

"You aren't one of those people who are disgustingly cheerful as soon as they get up, are you?"

Joxer opened his eyes to find Ares, on his side and head propped in his hand, regarding him. Joxer couldn't help it--the smile got bigger. "Fraid so, unless I don't have any tea, or I'm, like, routed out of bed by a bandit attack, or something."

"I can take care of that." Ares swooped down on him.

Joxer had honestly thought that he wouldn't be able to achieve an erection for at least a few days--and he'd been willing to live with that, given what he'd had in exchange. Ares quickly showed him that he was perfectly capable, though. The feel of soft beard rubbing over various interesting, and interested, areas of his body had Joxer twisting, moaning, and hard in very short order. Joxer, in dazed amusement, wondered how he had ever thought that a 'butch' man would never suck cock. Ares DEVOURED him. Joxer knew that the next time someone referred to the partner giving head as the 'passive' one, he was going to laugh out loud. In fact, he DID giggle.

Ares glanced up at him from his lap, one eyebrow cocked. "I have to admit that's a unique reaction."

"I can't help it," said Joxer breathlessly. "It's not that it's funny, but your beard is tickly."

"Really?" Ares tested the assertion by scrubbing his chin over Joxer's belly, while dancing his fingers along the warrior's inner thighs. Joxer howled. While he was in the middle of that bray, Ares swallowed his cock and sucked--HARD. Joxer's body arched helplessly, caught between two powerful forces--sex and laughter, and he came. Ares wrapped his arms around the limp, panting, giggling man, then rolled them both over so that Joxer lay on top of him. He then humped against Joxer in a leisurely manner till he achieved his own orgasm. By then Joxer was regaining his breath. Ares, playing with Joxer's hair, said, "And I don't do tea. You'll just have to wait till we get over to Aphrodite's place." He smacked Joxer's ass, then flipped him off, onto his back. "Get dressed. I promised Bliss I'd come by and visit today."

Joxer got up. "And you want to take me along?"

Ares was pulling on his pants, and he paused. "You COULD stay and work on your garden, but I know that Dite would like to see you." He frowned a little. "You'd rather garden than see my grandson?"

"No!" He looked around. "Clothes--I need clothes. I mean, I know Dite is a clothing optional sorta gal, but I'm pretty sure Hephastus will be there, and if Bliss is, I'm sure the little guy doesn't need any further education from ME. He hasn't gotten hold of his father's arrows lately, has he?"

"He's been warned about that very sternly." Ares waved his hand, and Joxer was dressed. Joxer looked down at himself, then looked at Ares. "Do you mind the pink? I just thought I might as well make Dite happy--she'd probably try to get you into pastels, anyway."

"I don't mind the shirt, but pink leather pants?"

Ares flicked a finger, and the pants were plain black leather. "There, pink and black. Strife calls that a fifties color scheme, for some reason." He took Joxer's hand, and flashed away.

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Bliss was sitting on an adult sized chair, which meant that his legs stuck straight out in front of him (they were still too short even to DANGLE). He crossed his plump arms, leaned back till his little white wings were squashed, tucked his dimpled chin, and gave his daddy a mutinous look. "Don' wan' it, Daddy. Taste nasty."

"I know, baby, but you NEED this if you're going to grow up big and strong, like Daddy." Cupid again offered a spoonful of quivering pinkness.

Bliss shook his head. "I g'o up skinny an' cool, like Stwife."

Strife, on the other side of the table, giggled madly. "Stop it, Strife! Don't encourage him," snapped Cupid.

"Hey, don't blame ME, cuz," Strife protested. "I ain't doin anythin. Tha kid comes by his naughtiness naturally.

"Strife is right, dear," said Aphrodite. "No one REALLY likes it." She wrinkled her nose. "Lord, the struggles I used to have to get YOU to eat it. Ares had a little more success, but then, he IS the God of War. Have you tried mixing honey in it? That used to help with you."

Strife materialized a square of honeycomb, held it over the bowl, and squeezed till the honey leaked out. "Give it a stir, Cupe."

Cupid stirred the honey in, thinning the glop in the bowel. "Don't you dare wipe your hands on anything around here. I don't want to end up sitting in stickiness."

"Perish tha thought." Strife dropped the wad of wax on a plate. "I'll chew that latah--even bettah than that gum stuff they have in tha future." He proceeded to lick the honey off his fingers.

Bliss pointed. "Daddy, Stwife usin' bad manners." Cupid was staring as Strife chased a golden droplet down one long finger, pink tongue working industriously. "DADDY!" Cupid blinked. "Huh?"

"You gonna 'pank Stwife?"

Strife had slid the finger into his mouth and was sucking on it with every evidence of enjoyment. *Only if he asks me nicely. Oh, geez, I didn't SAY that, did I?* "I'm not in charge of Strife's manners, Bliss, and you know very well that it's different for grownups. Now, take a bite for Daddy." The chin went down again. Cupid sighed. "Mom?"

"I just changed clothes, sweetie."

"Mom, you've ALWAYS just changed clothes. If you waited to do anything till you HADN'T just changed clothes, nothing would ever get done."

"Cupid, I love Bliss madly, but he FLINGS, and that stuff is just about impossible to get out of my hair. I'll try, though." She bent down, putting her face on level with Bliss. "Hi, baby!"

"Hi, Gan'ma!"

"Aren't you just the cutest, sweetest little thing?"

"Yeah!"

"Aren't you going to eat for grandma?"

"No."

Dite stamped her foot. "And I called myself 'grandma' for you, you ungrateful cherub! Strife?"

"Dite, do ya remembah that one time ya got me ta change his diapah?" Dite turned green, and Strife nodded.

*FLASH*

Ares and Joxer appeared. "How's my grandson?"

"He's being a pill," said Cupid tartly. "It's time for his weekly dose of..." he spotted Joxer, "uh, his weekly tonic, and he's being difficult about it, as usual. Is Ace SURE this stuff can't be taken as a suppository?"

Strife fell out of his chair laughing. He climbed back up, snorting. "Sorry. Just hadda mental image of what my Mom's reaction would be ta that." He waved. "Hiya, Joxie." Joxer smiled back, waving. Strife bounced out of the chair and hurried over to the mortal. Then he put his face close to Joxer's and gave him a minute examination.

Joxer got nervous. "What?"

Strife grinned, shrugging. "I think maybe yer eyes are slantin a little bit." He punched Ares on the shoulder. Joxer flinched, waiting for Ares to bat his nephew across the room. He was surprised when the War God just blushed. Strife said, "Well, I got work ta do. There's a boat leavin fah Rome, an' I wanna make sure it has a full load o' rodents an' vermin." He rubbed his hands together. "Gotta do my bit fah export." He frowned down at his hands for a second, then gave his palm a long, lavish lick before disappearing.

"Cupid," Ares started. Cupid was staring at the last few blue sparks that marked Strife's disappearance. "Son?"

"Huh?"

"I need to have a few words with you and your mother in private."

Cupid shook his head slightly. "Can't it wait, Dad? Heph isn't here to watch Bliss, so one of us..."

"I'll do it," Joxer volunteered. "I have experience. I can't tell you how many times Xena and Hercules have gone forth to battle bandits or warlords, and I've been delegated to stay behind and protect the women and children. I WANTED to help them, but they always explain that mine is the most important job, so..." They were staring at him. "I know games and stories."

Cupid looked at Bliss. "Bliss, if I leave you with Joxer for a few minutes, will you behave? No getting into Daddy's arrows, or Grandma's potions?" Bliss nodded, looked confused, shook his head, looked confused again, then shrugged.

Joxer, understanding the little boy's dilemma, said, "Don't make it a question."

Cupid shot him a look, then said, "Okay, I DON'T WANT YOU to play with those things. And no flying, okay?"

"'kay, Daddy."

"Good boy."

Ares, Cupid, and Aphrodite left the room, headed for a nearby audience chamber. Joxer went and sat at the table with Bliss. "Hi."

"Hi." Bliss gave him a sunny smile.

"So," Joxer poked the bowl that had been left behind. "That doesn't look like vegetables."

Bliss crinkled his nose, looking a lot like his grandmother. "That ammy-rosy-brosy-yucka. Taste nasty."

"Most stuff that's supposed to be good for you does." Joxer cocked his head. "You're a pretty big kid, Bliss. Why don't they let you feed yourself? I bet you'd eat it if you could feed yourself."

"May--be."

Joxer pushed the bowl closer to the godling, who stood up in the chair. "Go on. Won't they be surprised if they come back in and it's all gone?"

Bliss was stirring the pink stuff, his eyes gleaming. "Sure will."

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

"I want to know if either one of you has put a whammy on me."

Cupid shook his head, and Dite made her eyes big and round. "Why would you suspect that, Ares?"

Ares figited. "Just certain circumstances. Are you SURE?"

"Dad, duh? I have to AIM, okay? I'd know if I'd shot your butt," Cupid assured him. "Mom?"

Aphrodite spread a hand over her bosom. "I'm hurt that you'd suggest such a thing." Both of the men stared at her. "Oh, all right--so I'm devious. But not this time. Again, why do you ask, Ares?"

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Joxer wiped pink goo off his face, getting his eyes clear so he could see Bliss, who was chortling happily. "Okay, so I guess THAT'S why they don't let you feed yourself." He instincitively licked his lips, and said, "Oo, ick. No wonder. That stuff tastes like... like cheap perfume." He scraped some off his cheek and tasted it again. "Cheap perfume mixed with honey."

Bliss had dropped the spoon back in the now half-empty bowl. "You eat it."

"No, thank you."

Bliss gave Joxer a shrewd look. "I eat it, if you eat it."

"Spoon for spoon?" Bliss nodded. Joxer made a face. "Well, if you really NEED to eat it... It won't make me sick, will it? No, wait a minute--I'm immortal now. Okay." He dipped up a spoonful and offered it.

"You first."

"Big surprise." Joxer forced down a bite, then dipped up some for Bliss. Bliss kept his bargain and swallowed it, with many a grimace. They traded off several more bites. "You know, this stuff isn't so bad. You sort of get used to it. It'll never take the place of custard with strawberry sauce, but..."

"JOXER! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Joxer squeaked, and dropped the spoon as Cupid entered, with Ares and Dite right behind. "I... you wanted him to eat." Ares and Dite were staring at him. "Yeah, I know--I'm a mess. The kid has quite an arm. When he learns to use a sling, he's going to be deadly. Anyway, I had it all over my face, and he's right--it DOES taste nasty, at least at first."

Cupid thumped down into a chair, holding his head and moaning. "All my fault. Grandpa is going to neuter me."

Now Joxer was bewildered. "Well, I'm sorry if I ate too much of his breakfast. Isn't there more of it for him? I mean, after all--you're gods. I figured that running out of food wasn't a problem with you."

Cupid groaned and thumped his head on the table. Ares said shortly, "Stop it. He doesn't understand."

Aphrodite, who seemed to be caught somewhere between hilarity and horror, said, "Joxer, sweetie, do you know what that was?"

"Cupid said it was a tonic." Cupid thumped his head again. "You ought to at least wear a helmet if you're going to do that."

Aphrodite patted her son on the back. "We're all a little to blame, hon. We shouldn't have left it here with a mortal, but it honestly never occured to me, and I'm positive it wasn't deliberate."

"No," Joxer protested. "I wouldn't just dunk my face in food. I mean, I've fallen face first into a few soup bowls, but I was really, really drunk then, and they were my own meals. Bliss just got a little, er, enthusiastic."

Ares sighed. "He really DOESN'T know. Joxer, that pink shit is ambrosia."

"Am...? Oh, ammy-brosy-rosy-yucka." He smiled at Bliss. "I see what you mean now. That's a pretty good name for it, and..." His eyes shot wide open. "Ambrosia?" Ares nodded. "As in 'food of the gods'?" Ares nodded again. Joxer's voice was rising. "As in 'eat it and you're a god, whether you want to be or not'?"

"Yes."

"I DON'T WANT TO BE!" Joxer fainted.

Ares caught him before he could hit the floor. Cupid sat up. "I guess he DIDN'T know about it. I've never seen a mortal confronted with the possibility of divinity react like that."

"Yes," Ares was easing Joxer down on a sofa. "Well, he may not have a lot of PRACTICAL sense, but he's smart enough to realize that there's a lot of baggage that comes along with a godhood. Dite, what the Tartarus are we going to do now? Zeus would be pissed enough with him just being immortal. Now..." Ares stroked Joxer's hair. "I'd rather not have him tossed up to the moon, or chained down in Asphodel."

"The old goat tries that," said Dite grimly, "and he won't be getting anything from anyone, male or female--under the age of eighty-five. And you know the normal life span of mortals these days--his pickings will be SLIM."

Cupid was looking around. "Are you SURE Strife left? This smacks of something he'd do."

"Not intentionally," said Dite firmly. "He likes Joxer, and he's dealt with Zeus extensively. He wouldn't wish that on someone he liked, not even with the bonus of divinity thrown in. No, it just happened. Shit does."

"What?"

"Happen. Shit happens--at least that's what that funny peice of sticky paper that Strife brought back from the Halls of Time says."

Ares was watching Joxer in concern. "Dite, he's sweating--bad."

"Oh, dear. Cupid, take Bliss to his room. I don't want him to see this." Cupid scooped the little boy up into his arms and carried him out of the room, with Bliss protesting loudly that he wanted to stay with his new sitter. "Ares, you've never seen a mortal take ambrosia. You need to be very calm about this..."

"Shit! Any time someone tells me I need to be calm, I know that it's probably going to be fucking natural to be anything BUT."

"I know, but in this case getting upset won't help." The still unconscious Joxer had started to tremble. "I'm glad he passed out. This is the unpleasant part."

"What's happening to him?" Joxer's arms and legs had begun to twitch, his head tossing. Ares sat, pulling him into his arms and trying to still the tremors. "Damn it, Dite! Go get Apollo, or Ace. Get both of them."

"It won't do any good, dear. This is natural."

Joxer was thrashing now, movements so violent that Ares was having trouble holding on to him. "NATURAL? He's having a fuckin SEIZURE!"

"It's his godhood manifesting for the first time. We're born with ours, and we begin absorbing our energy in small, gradual doses. Poor Joxie is getting several years worth of power all at once, and it HURTS. But it will only be another minute, Ares," she said quickly, seeing his grim look. "See? It's stopping now."

Sure enough, the shaking was easing. Soon Joxer lay limp in Ares' arms. "DAMN it, Dite! Is this what being a god is going to be like for him?"

Aphrodite materialized a small bottle, uncorked it, and waved it under Joxer's nose. "Not if we teach him how to handle it. It will get easier, once his godhood is determined, and channeled."

Joxer coughed, and opened his eyes. "What happened? I feel like I've been through an earthquake." He winced apprehensively. "Did Zeus find out about the apples and ambrosia? If he did, and this is the worst he's going to do, I'm not happy, but I can live with it."

Ares materialized a glass of wind and held it to Joxer's lips. "Drink." Joxer took a mouthful and then swiftly spat it back into the glass. "Joxer."

"That has ambrosia in it," Joxer protested. "I can taste it."

"Just a little, and you're going to need it to build up your strength. You might as well get used to it--we ALL have to eat it."

"You mean that I'm going to have to go through that on a regular basis? How do you people STAND it?"

"No," Aphrodite explaind. "The first time is a little rough for mortals. You'll be all right now, and Ares is right. If we don't eat at least a little regularly, we sort of fade. You know--decline?"

Joxer reluctantly finished the wine, then sat up. "You know, I DO feel a little perkier. Okay, you say I'm a god now?" The other two nodded. "God of WHAT?"

"We don't know," said Aphrodite. "You have to be officially designated. Zeus will need to consult the Fates, then make a formal declaration, and present you to the Pantheon. Once that's done, the power will be channeled, and you can learn to control it."

Joxer paled. "You mean that I'm going to have to go face to face with Zeus?"

"There's no other way."

"Couldn't we put this off for, say, a century or two?"

"I suppose we can wait a little while, don't you think, Dite?" Ares asked. His eyes were telling her that she'd better agree.

Aphrodite chewed her lip. "It can't be for too long, 'Res. The longer you wait, the more energy is going to build up. He could get like someone wearing wool on a cold, dry day. Then he reaches for something metal, and ZAP! Energy's natural state is flux, and god-energy is at least a little sentient. It's going to be looking for some outlet."

"Don't worry," said Joxer. "I'll exercise a lot."

Aphrodite didn't miss the sudden gleam in Ares' eyes, and forced back a smile. *Yeah, and I think you'll have help.*



Seeking Balance 11: Beginning

*Flash*

Ares released Joxer, who staggered a couple of steps. Ares caught his arm. "You're going to have to get used to this, Joxer. As a god, it's going to be your main form of transportation."

Joxer sat on the bed, rubbing his head. "Ooo, I'm not sure about this. Can't you just send me back to earth, and we'll forget this all happened?"

Ares sat beside him. "Look, I can understand that you're reluctant--there are times I really wish I was just a simple mortal warlord. But that's not how it is, Joxer. You are now divine, and you're stuck with it."

"Couldn't Zeus make me mortal again?"

Ares chewed his lip. "Look, considering how this happened, I have to feel that the Fates are heavily invested in it." He scowled. "Though why the Trippy Trio never said anything to ANY of us escapes me. Usually they delight in making cryptic pronouncements, then watching us run around, trying to figure them out. Tartarus, maybe they HAVE said something about it, and it was just so obscure that we couldn't interpret it. Now that we've been blindsided, they'll probably chortle about it, and pick out every little nuance and twist that we SHOULD have caught. Strife explained something he's planning for the future called 'term papers', where people have to come up with the most outlandish meanings that authors are supposed to have hidden in their works. I think the Fates are a lot like those Lit Professors he talks about."

"Huh. Well, if they're THAT bad, I'm not surprised they're lit. I'm sure that doing something like that would make a lot of people want to burn them at the stake."

"The point is, if the Fates decreed it, it's impossible for even Zeus to reverse it. We're talking end of the world shit here, Joxer. You don't fuck around with the Fates. If they've woven you into the Tapestry of Life as a god, then you're a god--end of story."

Joxer stood up. "But it's NOT the end of the story, Ares! The story never ends. See, that's one thing I learned from Gabrielle. The..."

"You don't mean to tell me that witch actually knows something worthwhile?"

"Will you let me finish?" Joxer snapped.

Ares blinked at him. "You know, Joxer, I think that being a god may have made you a bit more forceful."

Joxer was flustered. "Uh, I'm sorry. I just wanted to explain..."

"I like it."

"Oh." Joxer cleared his throat. "Uh, anyway... No story ever REALLY ends, the teller just stops telling it. Things continue, things change; people have to keep on keeping on. Now, Zeus either takes away the godhood, or leaves it in place. Either way, the story goes on." He dropped back down on the bed again, shoulders drooping. "Either way, I have to deal with it. It's MY story, because it's happening to me." He sighed, then looked over at Ares. "Sorry. I babble sometimes."

"If you think that's babbling, you've obviously never listened to Dite on a sugar rush. No, Joxer, you're right, and I apologize. It ISN'T that simple for you. It's just that I've had to deal with it all my life, so it's never really been a question of what I was going to do."

"That's right," said Joxer softly. "You never had a choice."

Ares shrugged. "Neither does anyone else, god or mortal. Iphecles didn't ask to be born king, Salmoneus didn't choose to be a scam artist... Wait... that's not a good example--he probably DID. Even Zeus didn't' have a choice of being what he is." He rubbed the back of his neck. "It's just that some people are easier in their fates than others, I suppose, and can make more or less of it."

Joxer nodded. They sat in silence for a few moments, then Joxer said, "Can I ask you a question?"

Ares shot him an amused look. "I haven't noticed you being reticent before."

"It's the only way to learn anything," he paused, thoughtful, "unless they have a scroll available, but I've noticed that they don't HAVE scrolls on a lot of important stuff, and sometimes READING about something just won't help that much. Like trying to learn another language? You can read all the vocabulary you want, but if you don't LISTEN to someone speaking it, then you'll never get the pronunciation right, and that can be DANGEROUS. Did you know how that in Chin if you go UP at the end of one word it means 'friend' and if you go DOWN it means 'piece of shit'?"

"Fascinating. You had a question?"

"Oops--side tracked again. Yeah. Why are you being so nice to me?"

Ares stared at him. Finally he said, "Why shouldn't I be?"

"It's not fair to answer a question with a question."

"I'm a god--I don't have to be fair."

Joxer frowned. "Well, if THAT'S the attitude a god has to have, I SURE don't want to be one!" He stood up and stalked out of the room.

Ares pounded his fist on the bed. *Fuck! Well, that went well. Why couldn't I just tell him that I like him?" He smoothed his hand over the sheets, remembering last night, and this morning. *Or maybe MORE than like him?* He shook his head quickly. *He's a good lay, he's an amusing companion, he's a decent guy. But love?* He snorted softly. *What would be the point? Loving someone who doesn't love you back is something that had to be invented in Tartarus. No, I don't have to love him.* He stood up and started for the hall. *But I DO have to go apologize to him.*

Joxer was where Ares expected to find him--in the garden. He was on his knees in front of what was barely recognizable as a flowerbed--it was so overgrown that the flowers themselves were tiny, and almost hidden by weeds. Joxer was weeding, sharply jerking up clumps of plant matter and tossing them, here, there... Ares stood behind him. "Joxer..." A clump flew over Joxer's shoulder, striking Ares' leg. Ares noticed a faint trail of silvery sparks following it. *Tartarus! He's already starting to manifest. I'd better get him calmed down before he does something. Knowing him, he'd beat himself up if he accidentally blasted someone.* "Joxer, slow down. You're pulling the flowers as well as the weeds."

Joxer stopped cold. "Crap." He sighed. "I shouldn't do things when I'm angry--it makes me careless. And I guess I can't let that happen, now that I'm a god."

*You have no idea how right that is.* Ares knelt beside him. "You know, a lot of us who are born to it never really grasp that." He put a hand on Joxer's shoulder. "And you've learned it your first day. I'm proud of you, and I'm sorry I upset you."

Joxer looked over at him, expression solemn. Finally he smiled faintly. "Why do I get the feeling that apologies from you aren't exactly common?"

"That's because I'm never wrong." Joxer folded his arms. "Okay, seldom wrong."

The smile returned. "Oo, and I think THAT might qualify as ANOTHER apology. Two in one day. Maybe the Fates should be notified?"

Ares sat back on the grass. "You damn sure don't make things easy. You asked me a question earlier. Do you still want an answer?"

Joxer sat beside him. "Questions don't really go away, just like stories don't end."

"Okay." Ares scratched his beard. "Joxer, I don't see it as me being particularly NICE to you. I'm doing the right thing. You got hurt protecting me. You're my follower..." he paused, "you WERE my follower. I had a responsibility."

"Oh." Joxer drooped slightly.

Ares leaned around to peer at his face. "The explanation doesn't suit you?"

"No, no. It makes sense." His voice dropped. "I sort of figured that was what it was."

"What's wrong?"

He pulled his knees up and hugged them. "Oh, it's just that I would have liked it if someone was nice to me because they WANTED to be instead of because they felt obligated," he sighed, "or wanted something."

Ares felt stung. "Are you saying that you think I was nice to you because I wanted to get into your pants?"

Joxer plucked a blade of grass, twirling it between his fingers. "Weren't you?"

"I... I wasn't thinking of that, Joxer. I just... Do I strike you as the sort who'd do something he didn't want to, just to get some nooky?" Joxer seemed to consider this. "You have to THINK about it? Damn. What sort of reputation have I got lately?"

"It's not that. Heck, the thought of you having to go out of your way to convince someone to sleep with you is kind of silly." Now Ares felt a prick of pride. He'd long ago learned to take worship in stride, but genuine admiration was different--it was much harder to come by. Joxer was continuing. "I'm just pleased that I was there to help you when you wanted someone." He got on his knees again and began pulling weeds, more carefully now. "I'd better finish what I started."

Ares watched as Joxer carefully thinned out the greenery, and thought, *I didn't want just anyone--I wanted YOU.* But he didn't say anything. The only people in his life that he'd told he loved were his blood. Those instances were few, and usually consisted of a quick, half-embarrassed, half-irritated mumble. After all, he was War--how could anyone view him loving someone as anything but a weakness? And showing weakness was DANGEROUS. *This type of weakness would be most dangerous to the other one involved. When you're a god and you acknowledge that you love someone, it might give them SOME protection, but it also might paint a big, red bull's eye on them. Better not risk it.*

"Geraniums."

Ares blinked. "Pardon?"

"Geraniums. See? These are geraniums--red. And those are delphiniums--blue. You could hardly tell before with all the weeds, but there's really quite a nice little bunch of flowers here. Now that I'm a god, am I going to have to get my own place?"

*Move out? I hadn't thought about that. What if Zeus sends him to the House of Love?* A horrible thought occurred to Ares. *Or the House of Intellect. Shit, he CAN'T put Joxer under Apollo's directive!* He kept the unease out of his voice. "Not necessarily. The newer godlings usually stay with the deities who rule their respective houses, at least at first."

"But aren't most of the new godlings BORN, not made? They'd stay with their parents, right?"

"It can be tricky, Joxer. Cupid was designated House of Love, so he went to live with Aphrodite and Hephastus."

Joxer stopped what he was doing, and looked at Ares with dismayed sympathy. "I hadn't thought of that." He laid a hand gently on Ares' arm. "Your son was taken from you."

Ares felt his heart tighten as he remembered the pain of that time. "It isn't really like that. Dite lived here with him for a couple of years before she moved back to her place. Dite and Heph have never tried to keep me out of Cupid's life, never talked me down to him. They've made me a part of his life, involved in the important decisions."

"But he's your child, and you couldn't raise him. That hurt, Ares." It wasn't a question--it was a statement of fact. "It must have been very lonely when he went to stay with Aphrodite. "You must have been so lonely when they went away."

"Eris asked me to take over Strife not long after. Strife is very good at filling your time. He's infuriating, but seldom boring." Ares was quiet for a moment. "You know, it HAS been pretty quiet since that maniac moved out."

"You miss him."

Ares frowned. "No, I don't. I just can't handle massive doses of peace and serenity."

Joxer looked around the garden. "Well, when I get through with this place, any time you need a little peace, you can just come out here. It'll be something to remember me by."

The squeezing sensation was a little stronger this time. "You planning on going somewhere?"

Joxer shrugged, not looking at him, as he wiped his hands on the grass. "I can't stay here forever. After all, I'm not your relation, or your pet, or your... whatever. I suppose I'll have to go somewhere, sometime."

Ares reached over, cupping the back of Joxer's neck. "We don't have to think about that right now." He massaged, working at the tensed muscles, making his voice persuasive. "Can't we just let that go for a little while?" Joxer's eyes closed, as he leaned back into the touch. Ares realized that the new immortal wasn't worrying about holding himself up, trusting instead to Ares. "Have you ever had sex outdoors?"

Joxer smiled slightly. "Yes. You know, twigs can get in VERY uncomfortable places."

Ares pushed him back gently onto the grass. "There aren't any twigs here, and you've never had sex with ME outside." Ares knelt, straddling Joxer's thighs. "Open your shirt." Joxer reached for the buttons, but Ares caught his wrists, pinning his hands at his sides. "Not like that."

"I can't very well reach them with my teeth."

"Do it with your mind."

Joxer laughed a bit nervously. "Yeah, right."

"I'm serious, Joxer. You're going to have to start learning these things, and it might as well start now."

"But HOW?"

"Think about it. Picture the buttons sliding free of the holes, then concentrate. SEE it happening. Go on."

Joxer sighed, then closed his eyes. His face scrunched up in concentration, brow furrowing. After a moment he opened his eyes. "It's no use."

"I didn't think you were a quitter, Joxer." Joxer frowned, and Ares decided to push a little harder. "I KNOW you're not a quitter. You'd have given up on being a warrior long ago if you were, what with everyone telling you you couldn't do it, you were no good at it. This is something I believe you can do. Try, Joxer."

Joxer's jaw firmed. Ares believed he could do it. He pictured the buttons of the pink shirt sliding out of their holes. Nothing. Ares voice was impatient. "Damn it, don't you WANT me to make love to you?"

*Make love? HE SAID MAKE LOVE!* Joxer gritted his teeth and PUSHED. There was a ripping sound, and suddenly several tiny somethings pattered down on his chest, and he felt a breeze.

"DAMN, Joxer!"

Joxer opened his eyes and looked down at himself. The pink shirt had been ripped open down the front--the little touches he'd felt were the buttons raining down on him after they'd been popped off. Not only that, but the lacings on his breeches had been torn open. At this angle he could see pubic hair peeking out, and the curved base of his half-hard cock. He looked quickly up at Ares, who shook his head. "Wasn't me." He squeezed his hands, and Joxer realized that Ares was still pinning his wrists down, and the grip had never eased. "No, you did that all on your own. I wasn't expecting you to be able to do more than get the top couple of buttons undone." He smiled slowly. "A person would think that you had some sort of inspiration."

"Let's say 'incentive'." He sighed, relaxing against the grass. "I'm tired. I feel like I've been working like a mule for about two days."

There was a tinge of disappointment in Ares' voice. "We can wait, then."

Joxer lifted his knee till his thigh pressed up against Ares' crotch, then he rubbed it back and forth slowly. He watched as Ares' dark eyes grew almost black. "I didn't say I wanted to wait. I just want to go slow."

"I can do slow." Ares proceeded to prove that he could, indeed, go slow. He helped Joxer remove the rest of his clothing, then stripped himself. For the first time, Joxer experienced what it was like to be oiled by will power. One moment he was dry, the next a generous layer of slickness coated the inside of his back passage, and Ares first finger was slowly sinking inside.

Ares took a long time preparing him, probing and stretching gently till Joxer was relaxed and open, and whimpering with pleasure. Then he rolled the slender man over and moved up between his spread legs. Joxer buried his face in the sweet grass, feeling his throbbing cock caressed by hundreds of soft, cool blades as he was filled with hot, hard flesh.

It went on for a long time. Ares fucked him slowly and gently, kissing his neck and shoulders, sliding his hands over every stretch of smooth skin that he could reach. When he felt close to bursting, and Joxer was moaning and thrusting back at him, he rolled them both over onto their sides, gripped Joxer's cock, and stroked him to completion as he came. Joxer trembled as he felt the hot, liquid gush, and his body clenched automatically. The internal muscles rippled, squeezing the last drops of Ares' seed from him. Joxer took hold of Ares' hands, drawing them to fold over his belly, then holding them there. They were both very still, neither wanting to lose the physical connection. Even though he'd softened, Ares' cock remained inside Joxer's body for long minutes while Ares cuddled against the new godling's back, marveling at how RIGHT this cuddling felt.

~~~***~~***~~***~~***~~***~~~

Clotho had long ago learned to do her job automatically, while her sisters, Lachesis and Atropos had to pay attention to what they did, since any little slip could have far reaching consequences. Clotho had only to be sure that she did not snap or fray any new thread through clumsiness. To do so might end a life prematurely, or weaken it so that Atropos was forced to sever it before its appointed time. She did what she had to do, but took little interest in the new threads that flew from her distaff.

Sometimes, though--very rarely--there was something REALLY new. Today something caught her eye. There was a glint in the web of threads that spun off from the distaff, and she peered at them more closely. The last time she'd seen one of those had been...

She sat up quickly, her voice rising in delight. "Sisters! Come see."

"What is it, Clotho?" Atropos snipped a thread, and on earth, the last rung but one on a tall ladder snapped. She was weaving the cut end of the thread into the tapestry even as people began to gather around the still form that lay on the ground at the foot of the ladder.

"There's a new thread."

"Of course there is." Lachesis twined two threads together, and Cupid's arrows struck two young people, binding them together for life. From now till Atropos cut one or the other, they would run together. "There are ALWAYS new threads."

"But this one is special."

Lachesis frowned, scanning her recent work. "I don't see anything unusual."

"Of course not, silly! It's very, very new. It won't reach you for some time yet--months."

Atropos shrugged. "As she said, sister--there are always new threads."

"Not like this one. The last time I saw one like this, Passion and Mind brought forth Joy."

The other two gasped, and Lachesis said, "A godly child!" They stopped their work immediately, smiling, and came to examine the new thread. Clotho carefully pushed the other threads aside, so that they could see it clearly.

"Ah," breathed Atropos, "See it shine!"

"But look," Clotho didn't quite touch the fragile new life. "There's darkness here, too. Just a little, like a shadow. This child will be a blend of dark and light."

"Who are the parents?" asked Atropos.

Lachesis shrugged. "You know better than that, sister. It will be a while before I could even make a good guess. There are many, many threads that it is close to. It is, of course, bound with the mother's thread for now--this one. My, my. I've seldom seen such a pure color. If we wait a few months, the new life will be strong enough for us to trace the mother's thread, and learn who she is--and perhaps the father. For now, though, we must leave it be. We dare not disturb it."

They all three nodded in agreement, and went back to their work--it could not long be neglected. There were already people who had suffered more than they should have, waiting for Atropos to end their lives. There were important decisions that had been put off till Lachesis resumed weaving.

"One thing we can do while we wait, sisters," said Atropos. "We must begin to consider what godhood this new divinity is to assume. We'd best begin to think on it now."

"Yes," Lachesis agreed. She laughed softly, and her sisters gave her a questioning look. "I was only thinking--I hope that the mortals never learn that there are forces which rule destiny that even WE do not comprehend." She shook her head. "Bless them, they WILL expect things to make sense."



Seeking Balance 12: The Next Day

It was decided that Joxer's immortality being known by so many people was risky enough. Ares and Aphrodite agreed that the fewer people who knew about Joxer's new divinity, the better. Cupid promised to keep an eye on Bliss, not leaving him with anyone who might listen too closely to the godling's prattle. Other than them, it was agreed that Hephastus should know, because he was the one most likely to notice that his wife, stepson, and grandson were concealing something.

Joxer watched Ares as he adjusted his sword, getting it to hang comfortably. "Ares, I'm not going back to earth, right?"

Ares looked up at Joxer, who was still lounging in bed. The new godling was tousled and sleepy, and Ares had to fight the urge to just crawl back in bed with him. "I thought I'd explained that."

"Yeah, I know. But if I can't go back, I need to get word to my friends that I'm all right." Ares grunted. "If I remember correctly, I was in pretty sorry shape when you took off with me. They're going to be worried, and you shouldn't let people who care about you keep worrying."

Ares considered telling Joxer that from the way his 'friends' had pushed him aside, ignored him, or directly sniped at him, he could hardly be expected to take troubles to spare their feelings--if they had any. Finally he said, "It's only been a couple of days, Joxer. There's no hurry."

Joxer frowned. "I know it looks like that to you, since you're a god..."

"So are you."

"Maybe, but I still have the mortal mindset. For mortals, a couple of days of not knowing are BAD. Please take a minute today to tell them I'm all right. I know you can't tell them all of what's happened, but just let them know I'm not dead, and I'm recovered."

"They saw how you were. How am I going to explain that?"

Joxer shrugged. "They probably won't question Apollo being able to heal me. You don't have to tell them about the apples and the ambrosia."

Ares considered this. "I suppose I can. If I don't tell them something, Xena and Hercules are liable to start trashing my temples in an effort to get the information out of me, anyway."

Joxer beamed. "Thank you. Suppose I write a letter you can show them? I know that Xena and Herk, um, don't exactly embrace everything you tell them as absolute truth."

Ares smirked. "You may very well be fated to be God of Tact." He gestured, and ink, quill, and parchment appeared in Joxer's lap. "Hurry up." Joxer scratched out a hasty message, muttering under his breath when he smeared the ink. When it was done he rolled it up and handed it to Ares, who tucked it in his belt. "Before I go, let's see you dress yourself."

*sigh* "All right, I'll try, but I don't guarantee anything." Joxer closed his eyes and concentrated. "Nothing."

"The creation of material is harder than simple manipulation. Try again. Imagine everything you can about that piece of clothing--color, texture, even scent." Joxer thought HARD. Ares saw a faint shimmer of color seem to pass over Joxer's torso. It passed, and Joxer was almost panting with effort. "Were you trying for a red shirt?"

Joxer nodded. "How could you tell?"

"You came close. Once you can hold your concentration a little longer, you'll have it, but no need to exhaust yourself right now." He waved his hand, and Joxer was dressed--including red shirt. "Try doing some things with your mind today, Joxer. Nothing big, though. Don't go trying to move any statues, or you're likely to have them slip and fall on you. It wouldn't kill you now, but it could make you damn uncomfortable. Let's see... Where is the Freaky Foursome now?" He reached out, seeking the life essences of his daughter and half-brother. He found them, together. Good, he wouldn't have to transport all over creation. "I'll be back this afternoon."

Joxer had gotten out of bed. Now he grabbed Ares' collar and gave him a quick kiss. "I'll be waiting."

Ares hesitated a moment, enjoying the warm feeling that came with knowing that someone would be eagerly awaiting his return. He thought about saying something--telling Joxer that he'd hurry back to him. Instead he just nodded, and left.

Xena, Gabrielle, Hercules, and Iolaus were all lodging at an inn not far from where they'd battled the hydra. Ares transported into the common room, remaining invisible as he got a sense of the situation. The four were all sharing a table in the corner. Ares noticed that three of them seemed to be pretty drunk, considering how early it was. Xena, Hercules, and Iolaus had an impressive collection of ale mugs and wine glasses gathered in front of them. They were silent, but it was the sort of silence that usually fell when a group had simply exhausted themselves talking about something.

Xena was glaring into a near empty wine goblet. Iolaus had his head down on the table, buried in his arms, and Hercules was stroking his hair with surprising tenderness. The only one who didn't seem lost in melancholy was Gabrielle. She had writing implements spread before her, and was scribbling diligently. She paused and said, "Okay, tell me how this sounds."

'The scaly scourge lurked in its lair, its foul stench poisoning e'en the air. The helpless herdsmen did despair Of peace and security.

But some heard their cry, and they did heed This fervent prayer, this ardent plea. Hunter, warrior princess, hero, and bard Flew to the rescue, to battle the...'

She frowned. "Okay, I probably shouldn't say 'li-ZARD'. Don't they say 'iz-zard instead in some places? That would scan better. Or maybe I should find a way to use the word 'hard' or 'guard' instead."

Iolaus lifted his head and directed a bloodshot glare at Gabrielle. "I thought you said you were writing a ballad in tribute to Joxer."

Gabrielle blinked. "I am."

"You haven't mentioned him in the first two verses."

"That will come later."

Xena scowled at Gabrielle. "He's right. You gave a listing of the group, and didn't even include Joxer."

"I'm GOING to, but he wasn't really a part of the attack group, after all. I mean, it was a tragedy what happened to him, but I see this as also serving as a warning to those who are foolish enough to insist on meddling in matters they aren't suited for. If Joxer had just stayed back with the shepherds, he wouldn't have been killed, and..."

Iolaus slammed a mug on the table, and Gabrielle shut up with a squeak. "He fucking saved the life of a GOD, Gabrielle! What the Tartarus does it take to impress you?"

"And we don't know that he's dead," said Xena grimly.

Gabrielle gave her friend a sad look that managed to be condescending. "Xena, you just have to face reality. ARES took him. He probably got pissed because Joxer was bleeding on him, and dropped him somewhere."

Ares was fuming. He was about two seconds from just blasting the blonde bimbo when Hercules surprised him by speaking up. "He wouldn't do that. I don't have any great admiration for Ares, but he DOES have a sense of honor, no matter how twisted it might be. He would do his best to save Joxer, if only to show his other followers that remaining loyal to him could have its benefits. And if he got Joxer to Olympus in time," Hercules shrugged. "They can do some pretty fantastic healing for themselves, they can probably do a lot for mortals."

Gabrielle was gathering up her materials. "You're all being unreasonable, but I can understand that--you're upset. I don't need this, though. I've been having a bad time myself, you know. That comedy they performed here last night had an absolutely disgusting rag-picker woman named Gabrielle, and then someone recited a bawdy poem about a 'legion's sweetheart' who was named Gabrielle, too. To top it off, I heard a rumor that Finaculous is writing a new play, and had a pig thief who was going to be called Graccus, but he was suddenly inspired to change the sex, and name her Gabrielle. I have to consult with a lawyer and find out if there's anyone I can sue." She scuttled out of the room, grumbling.

Iolaus let his head thump back to the table. "Why have I never noticed what a bitch she is?"

"Watch it," said Xena, but there was no heat in her voice. Iolaus glanced at Hercules, then gave Xena a sympathetic look. He knew all about loving someone in spite of themselves.

Ares sat in the chair Gabrielle had vacated, then appeared. It was a note of how drunk they all were that no one either fell out of their chair, or drew a weapon. "My, I haven't seen such red eyes since Greagus got downwind of the burning manure pits in Tartarus."

Hercules started to stand up, and Iolaus grabbed his sleeve. "Don't."

"He's right, brother. I'd be more than happy to leave you to your drink and speculation." *I WON'T, because that would hurt Joxer, but there's no need to tell YOU that.*

Hercules slowly sat back down. His voice was thick and gritty. "Where is he?"

"Probably in the garden by now." They were silent, staring at me. "In case you've all pickled your brains too far to understand, that means that he's all right." Ares pulled the parchment from his belt and tossed it to Xena. She showed that she wasn't as far gone as she might have looked (a very useful trait in a warrior) by snatching it out of mid-air. She unrolled it quickly and began to read, pale blue eyes darting quickly over the message. The relaxation was tiny, but it was visible in the loosening of her shoulders, and the disappearance of the furrow between her brows. She passed the message over to Iolaus, ignoring Hercules' outstretched hand.

Iolaus had compassion on his lover, though, by reading the paper aloud. "Dear Xena, Hercules, Gabrielle... To whom it may concern. Hi, it's me--Joxer. I'm not dead. Well, I couldn't be and still write this, could I? I'm okay, hope you are the same. That hydra didn't get up and cause you anymore trouble, did it? Anyway, I'm at Ares' temple on Olympus, and I'll probably be here for a while. I'll let you know when -I- know what's going to happen. Don't worry about me. Take care, and don't take any dinars from Salmoneus--they're usually wooden. Your friend, Joxer the Mighty."

"How do we know that this is genuine?" asked Hercules suspiciously.

Iolaus sighed. "Well, for one thing, the first greeting is scratched out, before the 'to whom it may concern'. There are ink smudges all over it, and just LISTEN to it. Could anything sound more like Joxer?"

Now Hercules relaxed a little, sighing. "Thank Zeus."

"Believe me, Father had NOTHING to do with this," drawled Ares. He stood up. "Well, I've fulfilled my promise."

"Wait," said Xena. "When will you bring him back?"

Ares cocked an eyebrow at her. "What makes you think I'll be bringing him back?" He smiled. "I'm growing quite fond of him."

Now Hercules DID spring up. "You toad! He's not a toy, Ares! You can't keep him to torment as you please."

"Is that all you think he's good for, Hercules?"

"Ares," Xena said softly, "I know that we haven't been as good friends to him as we might have, but we care about him."

He looked at his daughter, weighing the merits of playing with his brother's mind, or setting his daughter's mind at rest. He noted Iolaus' pained gaze, and decided. "I swear to you, Xena, that he is well cared for. He's also treated with honor and respect," he glared at Hercules, then pointed at a quill that had been left on the table, and made it disappear in a small burst of flame, "which is more than he had here on earth." With that he vanished.

Hercules slumped back into his chair. "We'll never get him back."

Iolaus and Xena both stared at him. Finally Iolaus said quietly, "What if he doesn't WANT to come back?"

Hercules frowned. "Why would he want to stay with Ares?"

Iolaus and Xena exchanged looks. Iolaus shrugged, as if to say, *We'd never be able to explain it, and he wouldn't believe us if we could.* He poured some ale from a pitcher into his lover's mug. "Have a drink, Hercules, and trust me--Joxer is all right with Ares."

One Month Later

Strife left Ares at a strategy meeting with some of his generals and popped over to the House of War for a visit with Joxer. He hadn't seen the new immortal for a few weeks. Things were a little tense lately. Mom had been snappish, which could be downright DANGEROUS with her. He'd been feeling restless, his emotions even more of a jumble than usual. He'd tried working it off through romps with some of the willing worshippers at his temples, but other than a temporary physical release, those didn't accomplish much. He just knew that, for some reason, being around Joxer was soothing, so he dropped by for a visit.

He popped in on the bed, sitting next to Joxer. "Hiya." Joxer upchucked in the basin he was holding in his lap. "Well, I ain't useta warm welcomes, but I gotta admit that's a bit much."

Joxer wiped his mouth, smiling weakly. "Sorry. Just can't seem to keep anything down today."

"An' Unc went off an' left ya alone?"

"Oh, I didn't start till after he left." Strife materialized a glass of water for him. "Thank you, but let me try. I have to learn how to do these things for myself." Joxer held out his hand and stared at it. After a second a lump of ice appeared in his palm. Joxer shrugged good-naturedly. "At least it's the right element this time, and... Oops." He looked at the wide-eyed god. "Uh, you didn't know about this."

"Nah, I didn't. Joxie, did Unc slip ya ambrosia?" He grinned. "Ooo, that bad boy! It's times like these I'm proud ta be related."

"It wasn't Ares," Joxer protested. "I was just trying to get Bliss to eat, and he somehow talked me into trading bites."

Strife fell off the bed laughing. When he hauled himself back up, chuckling weakly, he said, "I KNEW I gotta HUGE burst of energy right aftah I left Dite's place, but I figured it was from Autolycus slippin inta that Persian ambassador's harem. Zeus, I LOVE that kid! Wish he was mine."

"He's a special little fella, all right," agreed Joxer. "And his daddy seems very nice, too. A little off-hand, perhaps, but I don't get the same 'there's a bug' sense from him that I do from a lot of people."

"Knowwhatcha mean. He don't usually get that 'oh, Zeus, there he is again' look when I show up. Yah, Cupe's tha bomb."

Joxer smiled at him. "You like him a lot, don't you?"

Strife shrugged negligently, but he was looking away. "What's not ta like?"

Joxer looked down at the ice. "My hand is cold, and I'm dripping." Strife offered the water, and Joxer dropped the chunk of ice in it, then sipped the chilled liquid. "Thank you. Maybe I should try thinking of a FILLED GLASS instead of just water. Otherwise I'm likely to get a shower when I don't want it."

"Sounds like a plan. Yer lookin a little bettah now."

"I'm all right." Joxer stared at the filled basin, and it disappeared. He smiled. "That one I've gotten down." In Asphodel, Hades was wondering why a basin of vomit had appeared in front of his throne. He considered tracing the power signature, but glanced at the line of souls waiting to be sorted, and decided it was too much trouble. Instead he just sent it to Tartarus and had it deposited over the head of a man who had knowingly sold tainted meat. He was a great believer in poetic justice.

"Ya want me ta take ya ta see Apollo or Ace?" asked Strife.

"No, I'm sure it's nothing. I feel fine now. I'll just stick to bread today--that should settle things down." He smiled at the Mischief God. "It's good to see you. How are things in the outside?"

Strife shrugged. "Tha usual insanity." He poked Joxer in the shoulder. "Unc's been a lot, um, steadiah lately. Yer keepin him mellow, Jox."

"Mellow? He told me yesterday that he personally saw to it that a soldier could get a new nickname--'Eight Fingered Endigus'."

"Tha twerp was dozin on sentry duty. Usually he'd've made 'im eligible fah tha nickname 'Tha LATE Endigus'."

Joxer hummed. "I don't want to be part of limiting him."

"Yer not." Strife put an arm around Joxer's shoulders, giving him a friendly squeeze. "Big secret, Jox? There have been a lot of times that Ares has worried us up here. We all hafta do our bit in our godhoods, but it's possible ta get TOO caught up in it, dig? Everyone needs somethin MORE. Hera has her gardens, Zeus has his strange nookie, Hades has Persephone, Hecate has a pink stuffed bunny..." Joxer laughed. "Yah, well, it has fangs, but don't tell anyone I told ya--I'd rathah not spend a month as a newt. Just trust me, Joxer. Ares needed somethin ta take him away from War occasionally. It looks like yer it, an' there are a lot of us in tha Pantheon who are happy about it."

"What about Zeus?"

Strife sat back. This was a question he'd rather not answer, but with Joxer's steady, direct gaze on him, he didn't want to evade. "I'd liketa tell ya that he'll be fine with it, too, Jox, but I know tha old goat too well. He ain't happy with most things that aren't his idea. But there are certain things that even HE hasta just deal with. I think this is gonna be one of 'em."

Joxer sighed, but gave him a small smile. "From your mouth to the ears of the Fates."



Three Months Later

"You've really done wonders with this place." They were under the willow tree in the garden, and Ares was lying with his head in Joxer's lap. They were naked, because when Ares had returned, Joxer was eager to show him the new fish he'd put in the ornamental garden pond. Now that he'd cleaned it out, it was once again healthy enough to support fish, and Poseidon had sent over some very pretty ornamental koi that he'd received from the Nippon God of Waters. Joxer had been so excited that his natural clumsiness had kicked in, and he'd gotten a dunking when he leaned out too far. Then, of course, Ares had felt compelled to go in after him. That had led to water wrestling, and then sex on the bank, and now they were air-drying.

The garden had bloomed, literally, under Joxer's care. It had become an oasis of beauty and serenity, with smooth swatches of green grass between fragrant bushes and flowerbeds. "Well, that centaur manure was a pain to spread, but BOY does it work. Besides, it isn't as if I have much more to do than work on it."

Ares rolled his head on Joxer's thighs, looking up at him. "Do I detect a touch of accusation in your tone?"

Joxer sighed. "Ares, it's been three months since I got deified, or whatever the Tartarus you call it. Godhooded? Anyway, you can't keep me hidden here forever."

"I could try."

"We're gonna have to deal with this, sooner or later."

"Later, then."

Joxer was quiet for a moment, stroking his hair, and Ares had started to drift off to sleep, when Joxer said softly, "Is it because you don't want everyone to know that we're, um, together?" Ares sat up abruptly, turning to stare at his lover. Joxer continued nervously, "Because we ARE sort of together, aren't we? I mean, I'm not sure how these things work on the divine plane of existence, but this is the longest I've ever been with anyone before. Of course, if it's just because you have to keep me hidden..."

Ares stopped his babbling with a kiss. "Yes, Joxer, we ARE together." He leaned his forehead against Joxer's, gazing deep into his eyes, thinking that Joxer was one of the few people he'd ever been able to do this with who didn't flinch away. Instead he just gazed back. "I'm not really sure what that means. Three months isn't long by our standards, you know, but... Well, it is for me. I haven't really taken lovers since Dite and I were together to make Cupid. I've had bed partners, and plenty of them, but no one I really wanted to wake-up with on a daily basis. No one I looked forward to coming back to, day after day." He bit his lip. Lying would have come easy to him at one point, but not now--not with Joxer looking at him this way. "I can't tell you it's love, Joxer. Not yet."

Joxer nodded, a little sadly. "That's okay. You didn't tell me it ISN'T love." He took a breath. "But you ought to know that's what it is for me." Ares was silent. "You don't have to worry about it. I mean, I'm not the sort to be, uh, difficult. I just... I know that even when... if this ends... at least I'll still be able to see you. I mean, I'm here now. I can't go back. We'll still see each other, even if it's only, like, at official functions, and stuff, and maybe my godhood will let me work with you sometimes, so..."

Ares kissed him again. "Let it go for now, Joxer, okay?"

"Okay."

Ares stroked his hair. "Good. You shouldn't worry about things." He ran a fingertip over Joxer's forehead. "Your brow should be smooth, and serene. It just looks RIGHT for you."

Joxer smiled. "You think so?"

"I do." He tapped Joxer's nose. "Of course, I ALSO think you should be naked all the time." He lay back down, snuggling his head in Joxer's lap. Turning, he nuzzled against Joxer's belly, noting that it was oh, so slightly convex, instead of the board flat plain he was used to. He thought it was cute. "I do believe that being a god agrees with you, Joxer."



Part Thirteen: Noticing

Two Months Later

"Daddy?"

Cupid yawned. Without opening his eyes, he groped, looped an arm around the waist of the little boy standing beside his bed, and hauled him up, bringing him to rest on his chest. "Morning, baby boy. What's Daddy said about not coming in till I call you?"

"Youse said 'at sometime ev'n Daddies need private time. Gan'ma Dite says I might fin' somthin' Ise not 'spectin if I come in 'thout knockin'."

"Yeah, well, I love Mom, but sometimes she runs her mouth a little." He opened his eyes to gaze up into his child's wide, blue eyes, and gently stroked the boy's baby-soft white wings. "Daddy isn't going to bring anyone here who might not be good for you to meet." Bliss nodded, as if this was something that didn't need explaining. "Was there anything you needed to tell me?"

"Hadda dream."

*Oh, this could be good. Bliss has some real corkers. Hypnos really loves the kid.* "What sort of dream?"

Bliss slid off to the side, so that he was resting just his torso on Cupid's chest. "Funny one. Dream 'bout G'anpa an' Joxie."

Cupid smiled. "You like Joxer, don't you?"

Bliss smiled. "He's funny. G'anpa likes Joxie lots an' lots, huh?"

Cupid squeezed him. "Yes, he does. But don't talk to him about it, huh, son? Dad hasn't really gotten used to the idea yet, and he... well, he sort of balks at things if he thinks they aren't his own idea."

"He 'tubborn."

Cupid laughed. "Yeah, but we love him anyway. Was that all the dream, baby? Just Dad liking Joxie a lot? Doesn't sound too funny to me."

"Tha's not the funny part, silly. Funny part was that Joxie has a baby in his tummy."

Cupid chuckled. "That IS funny. I wouldn't say anything about that, either, hon. Joxer's still close to being a mortal, and I don't think he'd deal with the idea of being pregnant very well--even if it WAS just a dream."

"Okay." Bliss slid off the bed.

Cupid sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Don't go far, son. I'll have breakfast ready in a few minutes."

"'kay!" Bliss trotted back to his bedroom. He went right to his bed and pushed aside the tumbled sheets, then groped under his pillow. He pulled out a small sliver of stone, not much bigger than his little finger. Bliss held it up before his face and whispered, "Hey." Nothing. "Hey, you there?" A faint, greenish glow appeared in the depths of the stone. "Is you fibbin' to me? Is Joxie really got a baby in his belly?" The light pulsed. "You sure? He on'y been livin' with G'anpa for a little bitty while." *pulse* "What you mean, it just takes once?" The glow faded. Bliss shook the stone, but got no more response.

He shrugged, then slipped the stone back under his pillow, and carefully made his bed. He was just smoothing the sheets when Cupid came into the room. He watched his son, hands on his hips. "Well! Aren't you getting grown up? Made your own bed without any help, did you?"

"Yeah. I can clean my own room now, Daddy."

"You don't want any help?"

"This way I knows where ev'thing is. You won't lose my things."

"Oh, well! Certainly, your majesty!" Bliss giggled. "C'mon, hon. Time to eat, then you'll be spending the day with Hestia. And no fiddling with her cooking when she isn't looking, all right? That last time when you put the puckernuts in the cookies she gave to Hades, Strife just about over-dosed on the energy. He was bouncing off the walls for hours." Cupid snorted, then smiled, muttering, "Idiot."

"Daddy!" Bliss tugged his hand free of his father's grip and shook a finger at him sternly. "Stwife notta idjet! He SMART."

Cupid felt a little ashamed. "I know, Bliss. You're right, Strife is VERY smart. He's just... uh... a little hard to take sometimes. I didn't mean anything hurtful."

Bliss shook his head. "I knows that, Daddy, but what if Stwife hear you say that? HE might not know you don' mean it."

Cupid sighed. "Right again. Careless words. I ought to know how they can hurt--I've seen them undo enough of my work, haven't I?" He tousled Bliss' curls. "You like cousin Strife, don't you?"

Bliss grinned up at him, then said simply, "Don' you?"

Cupid laughed ruefully. "You're related to him, all right."

~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~

Ares met Joxer outside the bathing chamber. "Hey, where'd you go so suddenly?"

Joxer was looking a little pale. "Just had to, um, answer a call of nature--a very VEHEMENT call."

"There was a chamber pot right under the bed." Joxer gave him a look. Ares laughed. "Right. You and romance." He kissed Joxer, gave his butt a fond squeeze, and went on into the bathing room.

Joxer just managed to whisk away the full basin before Ares went in, though the War God DID sniff around a bit suspiciously. Finally he shrugged and thought up a little sandlewood incense to get rid of the sour smell. Joxer must not have been kidding about that 'nature' bit. He made a mental note to teach his lover how to create roasted duck that wasn't QUITE so rare. Now that he was a god, he didn't have to settle for charred outside, raw inside.

On the other side of Olympus, Hestia was staring at what was in the bowl that SHOULD have contained the makings of a gooseberry fool. The green and the lumps were appropriate enough, but that CERTAINLY wasn't whipped cream. She looked around suspiciously. "Strife?"

*Flash* "Heya, Hestia. Wassup?" Strife lounged against the table. Hestia pointed silently at the bowl. He stepped back quickly, nose wrinkling. "Yow! Whatevah it is--I pass."

"Did you do that?"

"Ain't nunna mine, lady." He chuckled. "Good idea, though."

"Hmph! That was the last of this year's crop of gooseberries. I was making this specially for Bliss, and I just can't bother Gaia about getting me more at this late date." She glared. "Are you SURE you didn't...?"

"If it's fah tha squirt, I ain't messin with it." He picked up the bowl. "I'll get ridda it for yah." He giggled. "I know just where to put it." He disappeared.

Hestia sighed. "Zeus help whoever is on the receiving end."

Strife reappeared in his own room in the House of War, sat down, and forced himself to concentrate on the bowl of swill. He was good at picking up power traces when he wanted to be, and he wanted to be now. Anyone who would dump vomit in Hestia's kitchen without being caught was someone he wanted to meet. He felt around, tongue poking out the side of his mouth as he sharpened every mental facet he had. He found the spark of energy, latched on to it, and traced backward. He was surprised to find that he had a very short distance to go.

His eyes widened when he found the source. "Yer kiddin me!" He cackled. "It's gotta be a mistake, but damn... Joxie, yer a natural." Instead of going off to deposit the upchuck personally, he simply transported it to the floor of Apollo's chariot. As he'd thought, the Sun God was busy at the moment, and didn't notice the new arrival till he made a sharp turn, and got his feet doused. Strife didn't even wait for the resulting burst of energy--he went in search of Joxer.

He went on foot, a matter of politeness for his uncle's new roommate. Joxer was getting better, but sudden appearances and disappearances still startled him, and if that basin was any indication of the state of his stomach these days...

~~*~**~**~**~*~**~***~****~******~*****~****~

Joxer carefully dipped the anchovy filet into the saucer of honey, then munched it down quickly. *Why am I doing this? Usually the very THOUGHT of anchovies makes me queasy, but somehow the combination of salt and sweet is just exactly what I need. The only thing it needs...* He thought, and materialized a lemon half, then squeezed it into the honey. He dipped another filet and ate it, then sighed. "Perfect."

"Damn, Jox, no wondah yer upchuckin if that's tha sorta stuff yer eatin."

"Oh. Um, well... I don't know why... What do you mean, upchucking?"

"That basin ya tried ta get rid of ended up in Hestia's kitchen."

He paled. "Oh, dear. It's not a good idea to piss off someone who might be doing your food at a later date."

"Chill, she don't know who did it, an' she'll forget pretty soon. Where did ya THING ya were sendin it?"

"I... I don't know. I was just trying to make it go away. You know... not exist."

Strife sat by him, shaking his head. "This may be kinda hard fah a mortal ta undahstand, but DESTROYIN mattah is harder than creatin it. Somethin about Nature abhorin a vacuume. Is this the first time ya did it?"

"Ooo, no. I've been having an upset tummy every morning for about a few weeks now." He made a face. "It's getting hard to keep it from Ares."

"Why'd ya wanna do that?"

"I don't want to bother him."

"Joxer!" Strife poked him.

Joxer rubbed his arm. "Ow."

"Well, someone's gotta wake ya up! Ya don't screw around when yer sick, kiddo."

"I just thought that since I'm a god now..."

"Ya still don't screw around about yer health, Jox. Anythin else goin wrong lately?"

"Oh, nothing much." He made a face. "I guess it's mostly because of all the garden work I've been doing." He looked down at his feet ruefully. "My feet are getting swollen. I'm gonna have to start wearing slippers instead of boots if this keeps up."

Strife giggled. "Mornin sickness, swollen feet, strange food cravins. What are ya, Jox--pregnant?" They both laughed. Then Strife's giggles slowed, and he looked at Joxer thoughtfully. "Waitaminit."

"Hm?"

"Pregnant?"

Joxer laughed again, but it was a bit uncertain now. "Strife, I'm not the most masculine man around, but I don't have the sort of equipment you need for that."

Strife put an arm around his shoulders. "Joxie--yer a god now. Hello?"

"I... You... It..." Joxer shook his head. "Noooo, that's just not possible."

"Aw, c'mon," Strife whispered in his ear. "You don't mean ta tell me that Unc hasn't gotten some booty off ya yet?"

Joxer cleared his throat, shifting a little. "Uh, well... There HAVE been... Once or twice... or maybe some more. But Strife--PREGNANT?"

"You'll hafta see Apollo or Ace ta be sure, but it could happen."

"HOW DO YOU KNOW?!"

"There's Athena, fah one thing."

"Yeah, but she sprang fully formed from Zeus' head." Joxer suddenly clutched his belly, staring down at it in horror. "I'm not going to be pregnant for nineteen or twenty years, and then..." He was turning paler by the second.

"Joxer, calm down. Granted, all we've had so far is regulah births, an' that one spontaneous generation. Nothin is certain. I'm just tellin ya that ya'd bettah prepare yerself fah any eventuality. Look, I'll take ya ta see Ace." He stood up. "Lemme go tell Unc, an'..."

"NO!" Joxer clutched at him. "No, don't tell him ANYTHING!"

"But if this is his kid, Joxer, he's gotta..."

"Strife, PLEASE."

Strife sat back down slowly. "Joxer... are you scared?" Joxer looked down. "I could kick myself fah puttin doubt in yer mind, Jox. Look, there's not a whole Tartarus of a lot that can really do any damage to a god. Whatevah's goin on with ya, I'm sure Ace can..." He trailed off. "That isn't it." He put a finger under Joxer's chin and tipped it up. "Jox, are you scared of tellin Unc?"

Joxer wiped a hand quickly over his eyes, but they remained suspiciously bright. "He... he has a lot on his mind. I don't want to bother him when it's probably nothing."

"But it could be EVERYTHIN."

"Strife... I'm sure--he isn't."

"Ah." Those last four words, their tone, said more than an hour's worth of talk. Strife took a deep breath, looking at his friend. "I really oughta, Jox. I mean, I guy bein a daddy--that's big shit." He smiled. "But think of tha mischief charge I can get if I DON'T tell." Joxer drooped in relief. "Yer right, this could just be some sorta new divine bug, but..." he held up one finger warningly, "ya gotta promise that if this goes on much longah, you'll lemme take ya ta Ace. Not Apollo--Ace. Doctah/patient confidentiality be damned--he's tha biggest gossip on Olympus."

"All right, I promise. But I'm sure it's nothing." Strife cocked an eyebrow. "Really. I mean, surely even -I- can't have that kind of luck." He glanced around apprehensively. "I can't think the Fates would be that... perverse."

"Ya know, Jox," Strife dipped a fingertip in the dish of honey-and-lemon, then licked it clean. "Don't blab it around, but sometimes I get tha feelin that those broads ain't as all knowin as they'd liketa have us believe."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~

"Sisters," said Lachesis, her voice excited, "I've managed to discover one of the parents for the godly child." Her two sisters stopped what they were doing and hurried over eagerly. "Look." Lachesis indicated a very dark thread that ran beside the new one. It would look black to someone who was unfamiliar with the threads, but actually it was blue--deep, midnight blue.

The three sisters studied it, and then they all smiled. "Another child for War," said Atropos with satisfaction. "Good!"

"They can be trouble, but they certainly make the job more interesting," agreed Lachesis. "I still haven't located the mother's thread, though."

"You mean it isn't Aphrodite?" asked Clotho. Lachesis shook her head. "How odd. I didn't know that he had an interest in any other goddess, and it can't be with a mortal. This is definitely a divinity, not a demi-god."

"I should be able to tease it out, with a little more effort, but I can't devote too much time to this," sighed Lachesis.

Atropos went back to snipping threads. "I wonder why they haven't sent an official announcement yet?"

Lachesis went back to weaving, while Clotho took up her distaff again. The spinner said consideringly, "Do you suppose it's because there's been no formal committment with the mother? Oh, I know they make a show of it not mattering, but really... I can't help but think that Strife wouldn't be quite as, er, well, whatever he is, if he'd had a strong father figure."

"Well," said Atropos tartly, "Having a father doesn't necessarily mean having a good influence. Anyway, it's time that this came out in the open. It can't be easy on the poor dear, whoever she is, hiding the pregnancy. I think we should send a prophecy. Now, let's see... Perhaps since this is a godly child we should bypass the earthly oracles and go straight to Apollo..."

"Oh!" Lachesis gasped.

"What is is, sister? Did you prick your finger? Be careful--a drop of blood can cause all kinds of mischief in the tapestry."

"No, Clotho, I was just startled. It seems that we have no need of sending a prophetic dream. One has already been sent." The other two stared at her. "I swear! It's right here, and I didn't weave it." She received looks. "I swear to you! You know that I can't recall every single detail of what I weave, but I'm fairly sure I would have remembered this. Yes, a dream has been sent to..." She started laughing.

"What is it?" asked Atropos. Lachesis just waved at her to wait a moment, still laughing. "Sister!"

"It... Whoever or whatever arranged this has a sense of humor." Her smile softened. "I suppose it is appropriate, though, since such an event is bound to bring great joy."

Atropos leaned back. "No!"

"Oh, yes. The littlest godling on Olympus is the first to know of this great news. Judging from the way the threads are running, I'd say that there's going to be more than one dream. So, we have nothing to do but sit back and watch it all unfold. Someone is doing our job for us."

They started working again. Clotho said, "Lachesis, will there be a wedding before there is a birth?"

"I can't see that far ahead, sister, but I hope so." She sighed. "The thread of Ares' life has been stretched so taut before. It's better, now--not limp, but not pulled near to breaking. Whoever she is--she's good for him."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~**~**~***~**~*~*~*~*~

"How was your day?" Ares had appeared behind Joxer in the garden. Now he nuzzled his face against his lover's neck, delighting in the delicious shiver he caused.

"Pretty much the same as usual. I ate breakfast, I worked on the garden, I ate lunch. Oh, Gaia came by--brought me the prettiest little cherry tree. I'm going to plant it right beside the pond, opposite the willow, so that the blossoms will float on the water." He trailed off. "Ares, it's pretty much the same, every day. Sometimes I feel like years have gone by, when I know that can't be the case. When am I going to, um, come out?"

Ares stepped back from Joxer. "You aren't happy here?"

"No, I didn't say that! I... Ares, I want to DO something. I want my life to MEAN something. On earth, I got to help people--I protected them, and... Okay, so I wasn't all that good at it, but I was out there doing something. People knew who I was." His voice lowered. "I knew who I was. I don't, now. I was Joxer the Mighty. Then I ate that pink goo, and everything changed. What am I now? Even you don't know. I have all sorts of strange, new feelings running around inside me, and I need to learn how to direct them. I don't think I can until I'm put in my proper place. What God am I? Only Zeus can settle that, can't he?"

Ares heaved a sigh. "Yes--nothing is officially till Zeus puts his stamp on it. We'll have to make things known. But give it a couple more days, hm? He should be coming to the end of his latest fling soon. We'll catch him between affairs--his thinking should be clearer, then. Okay?"

Joxer sighed. "Whatever you think is best."

"Come on in and eat, then."

"I'm not hungry." He burped, thinking of the olives, radishes, and lump sugar he'd shoveled down at lunch.

Ares frowned. "You've been acting a little funny lately."

"Oh, I'm okay. I feel a little funny, but I think it's just that I've been in the sun too much. The sun's going down now. I'll just sit out here under the tree and watch the moon come up--enjoy the cool breeze. You go ahead and eat."

"Are you sure?"

"Ares, It'll go away." He smiled. Ares kissed him again, then went inside. Joxer sat under the tree, leaning back against the trunk, gazing up as the sky went pink and gold, then dark. Stars began to come out. He whispered, "It'll go away. It'll go away. It'll go away." Then something happened. There was... He couldn't really call it a MOVEMENT. It wasn't quite a flutter. *It could be just a gas bubble.* Joxer touched his belly, considering. The feeling came again, and his eyes widened. "Baby?" he whispered. The feeling came again, and Joxer suddenly wrapped his arms around his own waist, feeling a flood of warmth like he never had before, not even when he was being held by Ares. "Don't," he whispered. "Oh, don't. Don't go away."



Seeking Balance 14: The next day

Cupid watched his son yawning and rubbing his eyes. "Why are you yawning, Bliss? Didn't you sleep well last night?"

"Nuh-uh. Talkin' gave me dweams."

Cupid frowned. "But we didn't have any guests over last night."

"Not guests. Other talkin'."

"What other talking?"

Bliss' blue eyes shifted. "Hadda funny dweam. Joxie hadda big tummy 'gin." He laughed. "Youse could see the baby kickin' from the inside. Poor Joxie."

"Oh, yeah, I bet that WOULD be uncomfortable. Did you make your bed again today?"

Bliss nodded. He wondered if he ought to move the talking stone somewhere else, just in case Daddy decided that he ought to put fresh sheets on the bed. He couldn't be absolutely sure that the stone wouldn't vanish with the sheets. Maybe he should put it in his belt pouch--the one he kept his shed feathers in.

A week later

"Gan'ma, I hadda dweam las' night."

Aphrodite sat and pulled Bliss up onto her lap. "Did you, punkin? Was it a scary dream, or a funny dream?"

He giggled. "Funny. I hadda same dweam before."

Cupid smiled indulgently at his son, sitting beside his mother. "Was it the one where you were swimming in custard?" Bliss shook his head. "Or the one where Uncle Hades was singing and dancing?"

Aphrodite laughed. "Oh, I'd pay to have a scrying mirror of that!"

Bliss was shaking his head, and Cupid said, "Then was it the dream about Joxer?"

Bliss nodded vigorously, and curved his hands in front of his own plump belly. "Him hadda tummy like THIS!"

Aphrodite giggled. "I suppose being able to think up food whenever you liked WOULD be a temptation for a former mortal."

Cupid chuckled. "That's not why he had the big belly. Tell her, son."

"Him gonna have a baby!"

Cupid laughed. "Isn't that the silliest thing you ever heard? Mom, why aren't you laughing?"

"Bliss, honey, are you sure this is the same dream? Exactly?"

Bliss frowned in concentration, but nodded again, holding up three fingers. "Had it this many timeses now."

"Hm."

"What is it, Mom?" Cupid asked.

"Well, dear, you know that sometimes repeated dreams are prophetic, especially when they come in threes."

"Oh, please!"

"I'll admit that it isn't by any means a sure thing, but it's POSSIBLE."

Cupid regarded his son, puzzled. "But he never has before. I haven't, and you haven't. I don't think Dad has. He's never mentioned it if he did."

"Yes, but there's your Uncle Apollo to consider. It may well have skipped a generation. Or it could just be something specifically related to what's going on. You have to admit it's been pretty weird, and I see no reason why it couldn't generate a lot of energy that would have to be funneled out SOMEHOW."

"I'm pretty sure that if Dad was going to have another kid, everyone on Olympus would know about it."

Aphrodite sighed. "This is a special case, remember? There's a limited number of people who even realize that he's in a situation where children are likely."

"Mom, they're hardly LIKELY now."

"All right then, Mister Semantics--POSSIBLE." Aphrodite sighed. "Oh, it would be nice if it were true. I'd love to have a baby around again." She giggled. "Especially since I wouldn't be the one changing diapers or breast feeding."

Bliss poked Aphrodite in the bosom. "Gan'ma, how do bwests feed a baby?" He tried to peer down her cleavage. "You gots food in there? What kind?"

She handed him to Cupid. "It's time to have a talk with your son." She was gone in a flash of pink sparks.

"Right," said Cupid. "It's 'my grandson' this and 'my grandchild' that till he asks the BIG questions, then it's 'here's your son'." He sighed. "Okay, Bliss--you know about cows, right?"

Bliss gave his Daddy a 'duh' look.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Aphrodite appeared in the Cave of the Fates. They looked up from their work. "Hail, Love," said Atropos.

"To what do we owe this visit?" asked Lachesis.

Aphrodite pointed at Clotho. "I want to know if a new thread has been spun out from the God of War's life." The Fates exchanged looks. "And I'm going to take that as a yes!" She clapped her hands and bounced over to the tapestry. "Show me, show me!" Smiling, Lachesis carefully pulled the shimmering silver-blue thread to the forefront. Aphrodite cooed. "Oh, how sweet! Does the blue shade mean it's a boy?" The Fates shrugged. "Don't give me that. You know, don't you? I need to know NOW, so I can start helping with the nursery things."

"All signs point to a boy," agreed Clotho. "But... um..."

"What?"

"Well," said Lachesis, "this is an odd situation. We, uh, are having difficulty identifying the mother. Perhaps you have an idea?"

Aphrodite stared at each Fate in turn. Her lips started twitching, then she started giggling. Finally she had to materialize a chair and sit down. "Oooh, this is rich! You don't know the baby's mother. That's why you haven't made an official pronouncement, isn't it? There's several good inches on that thread, so the baby must be at least a couple of months along..."

"About three-and-a-half," said Clotho.

"And you still don't know. No wonder you didn't want to say anything. You don't want to admit that you don't know everything."

"We know ALMOST everything," protested Lachesis. "And I HAVE had some indication, but..."

"What?" snapped Atropos. "Sister, you learned this, and you didn't TELL us?"

"It can't be right," Lachesis insisted. "There has to be a mistake. Two similar threads have to have gotten wound together so tightly that I can't tell..."

"It's a man's thread, isn't it?" asked Aphrodite.

Clotho and Atropos looked at Lachesis. The middle sister blushed. "It, uh, it looks like."

"Why didn't you trace it?" said Atropos, obviously annoyed. "We should have broken the new long ago."

"It's just so... odd that I figured I had to be reading it wrong. I mean, I haven't seen so many bumps and kinks in a long time. There's one place not to long ago where it's almost nipped through, then mended. And then... There's no other way to say it--it starts mortal, then becomes divine, and I knew that Zeus hadn't created any new gods lately. Quite frankly, I didn't feel like dealing with the fall out from being the one to tell him."

Clotho was shaking her head. "This is a fine thing. Keeping secrets from your own sisters. Lachesis, it's all well and good for us to befuddle the rest of the world, but if we can't trust each other..."

"Enough of that for now. Who is the mother?" asked Atropos. "Er, I mean the other father."

"Oh, I know that," said Aphrodite cheerfully. "It's Joxer, the Mighty." She preened. "My grandson is prophetic. But really, ladies, you might have waited till he was a little older to send..." she trailed off. "Wait a minute. You didn't know, so you COULDN'T have sent the dreams, could you?" They all shook their heads. "Then who the Tartarus DID?"

"That can be discovered later," said Atropos. "We need to summon Hermes now, and notify Zeus officially of the newest god... Uh, I guess that's one new god, and one soon-to-be god."

"Oh, no you don't! He's not going to know even before Ares does," protested Aphrodite.

"Protocol..."

"Protocol can be damned to Asphodel and buried by Cerberus for all I care!" She narrowed her eyes. "If you try to tell Zeus before Ares knows, the manure fly like a flock of geese have gotten into a patch of unripe berries. I'll make damn sure that EVERYONE knows that a toddler godling figured it out before you did."

"Well, there's no need to get nasty about it," huffed Lachesis.

Atropos cleared her throat. "I think that, perhaps, this could be one of the times that it is, uh, necessary for things to remain totally obscure until they are revealed by circumstances."

Aphrodite primped her hair, "And it will give you time to go sort through all the obscure predictions you've made in the past and find one vague enough to pass off as relating to this. That will be just dandy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think it's time that we had a little family conference."

*Flash*

She appeared in Ares' main chamber. It was a lot more crowded than she'd hoped for. Ares and Strife were sitting at the table, picking over the remains of breakfast. Bliss was sitting on the bed with Joxer, playing a stick tossing game. That was one reason why Bliss loved Joxer--he always had time for a game. *I just hope that doesn't change,* thought Aphrodite, *cause he's gonna be way busy in a few months.* She studied him. *Does he even know?* Joxer was watching Bliss as the little boy tried to carefully extricate a red stick from the jumbled pile before him without moving any others. His expression was tender as he watched the child, and his hand stole down unconsciously, curving over his belly. *Oh, he knows, even if he doesn't know that he knows.*

She received nods from the men, and went to sit beside Bliss. "Baby, what are you doing here?"

"Daddy hadda work fast," Bliss explained.

"Somethin about some young buck's hormones had just kicked in, an' if they weren't directed right, he'd end up in a spear point weddin that would screw up tha dynamics of a certain village's love-lines for a coupla generations," offered Strife.

"Drat. Strife, do you suppose that you could take Bliss out into the garden for a little while? There's something we need to discuss that he doesn't need to hear."

Bliss looked up at her. "I din't tell."

"What?"

"Daddy said not to talk 'bout the dream, an' I din't." He looked at Joxer, then reached out to pat his tummy, very gently. "Joxie, how do the baby go potty in your belly?"

Joxer keeled over. Ares was across the room so quickly that he might as well have transported. "Joxer!" He stretched his lover out on the bed and materialized a damp cloth, wiping his face.

Bliss looked at Aphrodite. "Joxer sleepy?"

"Strife!" called Aphrodite.

"Gotcha." Strife hopped up and went to take Bliss by the hand. "C'mon, kiddo. We'll go feed tha fish in Joxer's pond."

As they started out, Aphrodite called, "And why don't you look surprised?" Strife just giggled, and shrugged.

Ares lifted his head and bellowed, "Ace!" He patted Joxer's cheek lightly. "Wake up, Joxer. Shit, what's wrong?"

"It... uh... it isn't all that uncommon for someone to fate under these sort of circumstances," said Aphrodite.

"What sort of circumstances? Fainting is never..."

*Flash*

Ace stood beside the bed. He took in the situation and immediately bent over Joxer. "Any idea what brought this on? Has he been over-exerting himself? Got over heated?" He was running his hands through the air over Joxer's body, concentrating as he scanned him.

"No, nothing like that." Ace suddenly started. He frowned, then did the scan again. "What is it?"

"Well," there was a hint of amusement in the Healing God's voice, "I'd say that him getting overheated in one way or another definitely had something to do with this."

"WHAT'S WRONG?"

"Nothing--Daddy."

"Well, that's good, because... What?"

"You heard me."

Joxer had opened his eyes and was just sitting up. Ares said, "Joxer, you're knocked up?" Joxer fainted again.

"Way to be tactful, Ares," said Aphrodite.

Ares sat on the bed heavily. "That's... impossible."

"No, it isn't." Aphrodite arched an eyebrow, spreading a hand on her bosom. "Not considering all the energy you two have been feeding me lately."

"But... but... I.... he... He's MALE."

Aphrodite and Ace exchanged looks. "He's a DIVINE male," said Ace patiently. "You WERE warned about these possibilities, weren't you? Dad is supposed to have that 'talk' with every god."

"Well, yeah, he did, a long time ago. But I never thought... It... It's fucking RARE, isn't it?"

"Try 'unique'--so far. In fact, this is going to be the first non-spontaneous one on record. You and Joxer are really going down in the scrolls for this one." He materialized a tiny bottle, opened it, and waved it under Joxer's nose. "There's nothing to worry about. He's very healthy, and so is the baby. It's just that sometimes pregnant people faint, especially during moments of emotional stress." Joxer's eyes fluttered open. "Hi, Joxer. Don't be afraid."

Joxer's hands crept down to his stomach. "The baby?"

"The baby is fine. But you're going to have to start taking it easy, okay?" Joxer nodded. "You should rest now. I'll come by tomorrow and have a talk with you about what to expect, and what you should do. I'm warning you--you're going to need to be very dedicated to staying healthy. You haven't been a god for long, and this can be a strain on your constitution, but if you're careful, there shouldn't be any problem. Ares..."

"Huh?"

Ace smiled. "Keep him in bed for a few hours--RESTING, nothing else, you dog. I'm going to want him to start taking a nap in the afternoons. I'll be by tomorrow." He shook his uncle's hand. "Congratulations."

*Flash*

Ares looked at Aphrodite. "Do you mean to tell me that Bliss knew about this before I did?"

"He's been having dreams."

"I need to find out about this." Ares stalked out.

Aphrodite looked over to find Joxer with his head in his hands. She sat beside him quickly, putting her arm around him, "Are you all right?"

"He didn't even speak to me once he knew," Joxer said faintly.

"Oh, sweetie!" Aphrodite hugged him. "He's just surprised--that's all."

"He doesn't want the baby." Joxer sniffed. "He doesn't want ME."

"No!" Aphrodite shook him gently. "That is SO not true. Joxer, listen to me. This is my JOB, right? It's what I am. Ares LOVES you. Maybe he hasn't said it yet, but it's harder for some people than it is for others. Ares has always been a shower instead of a sayer. He's like that with EVERYONE."

"I've been thinking," Joxer said softly. "Ever since I sorta knew? I thought, 'If he sends me away now, I'll still have a part of him with me forever, and that will be enough'." He lifted dark, pain filled eyes to Aphrodite. "But you know what? It wouldn't be. I realize that. It will be wonderful to have his child, but if I can't have him... if WE can't have him... I... I don't know what I'll do."

Aphrodite watched the despondent man. *I wish I could believe it was just the hormones, but the poor guy has been rejected so many times in his life that once more might break him. Ares, I know you love him. Damn you, if you mess this up, you're gonna think the Furies are a bunch of parakeets once I get through with your ass.*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Strife was helping Bliss sail leaf boats on the pond. He looked up as Ares came into the garden, and (even though he knew that he risked getting tossed through the wall) couldn't resist. "Howzit goin, Dad?"

Ares clenched his fists and ground out, "Does EVERYONE except me know about this?"

"Do ya honestly think that yer Pop would know about somethin like this an' not take tha opportunity ta rake ya ovah tha coals?"

"No, you're right about that." Ares squatted down beside Bliss. "Bliss, how did you know that Joxer is going to have a baby?"

"Like I told. I'se dweamed it..." He held up three fingers. "This many."

"Three?"

"Yeah, free. An' my friend tol' me."

"What friend?" asked Ares alertly. "Apollo?"

Bliss giggled, shaking his head. "'pol notta frien'. 'pol a nuncle. No, my..." His hand had been drifting to his belt, and he stopped, biting his lip. "Jus' my friend."

"Bliss, let me see what you have in your pouch." The boy hesitated. "Bliss."

Bliss sighed, opened up the pouch, and pulled out a sliver of stone. Ares held out his hand, and Bliss clutched the rock close to his chest. "I found it."

"Bliss!" Bliss handed it over.

Strife craned his neck to get a look at the rock, while Ares studied it. The Mischief God's eyes suddenly widened, and he sat back quickly, dragging Bliss with him. "Uh oh!"

"Uh oh, what?" asked Ares. "It's a stone."

"It's a freakin force of nature," insisted Strife, "an' it's dangerous as Tartarus."

Ares eyebrows climbed. "The Chaos Stone?" It glowed faint green for an instant. Strife stood up, taking Bliss with him, and dodged behind a tree. "Bliss, you said you found this. It belongs to Gaia."

"Uh huh," said the godling. "Thas' where I foun' it." He noted the sharp looks, and protested. "But it SAID to take it home wif me!"

Strife giggled nervously. "Any othah time I'd know tha kid was just makin excuses, but with that think, it damn sure COULDA done that."

"I suppose it could," said Ares thoughtfully. "It certainly has had it's own agenda in the past. But Gaia is usually very careful of it. I wonder why she hasn't been turning Olympus upside down looking for it?" He shook his head. "I can find out about that later. The thing now is..."

"Gan'pa, Joxie anna baby not sick, huh?" Bliss' face was scrunched up in concern.

"No, no. Ace says they're doing well."

"I go see?"

"He needs to rest right now, Bliss."

"I see 'morrow? Wanna feel the baby tickle."

"Maybe. Strife, take Bliss back to his house, or to visit Hestia, or something. I need a little privacy around here."

"Check." Strife hefted Bliss up onto his hip, but hesitated. "Unc? Yer happy, aren't ya?"

That seemed to surprise Ares. "Of course I am."

"Ya might wanna tell Joxer that."

*Flash*

Ares went back inside. Aphrodite was sitting with Joxer, and she shot him a glare when he entered. Joxer looked up also, and there was such worry and unsureness in his eyes that it was almost physically painful to Ares. "Aphrodite, I'd like to be alone with Joxer." Aphrodite gave him a hard stare. Ares looked back at her levelly. After a moment, her expression softened, and she nodded. She kissed Joxer on the cheek, and disappeared.

Joxer dropped his gaze to fix on his hands, which were nervously stroking his own stomach. Ares watched the movement, this time looking at the slight curve with a different perspective. *How could I not see it? How could I not know?*

He went to sit beside Joxer. "Joxer..."

Joxer drew in a watery, hitching breath. "I'm sorry." The words and tone was like a slap in the face to Ares. This man--this brave, funny, sweet, LOVING man--was APOLOGIZING for giving him a child? Joxer was continuing. "I didn't know this could happen. I wasn't trying to... to trap you, or anything."

"Joxer." Ares reached out, laying his hands over Joxer's, stilling their restless movement. He pushed them aside, then laid his own hands there, feeling the soft mound, the warmth.

Joxer studied the War God's face. He saw the tenderness in those dark eyes, and the despair that had been creeping up on him began to fade. "You're not angry?"

"Angry?" He cupped Joxer's face between his palms and kissed him. "I haven't been this happy since Aphrodite told me Cupid was on the way. A child, Joxer." He rested his forehead against Joxer's. "Our child--yours and mine." He stroked Joxer's cheek. "You do realize that you have to marry me now, don't you? I wanted to wait a little while, till after you'd been officially declared, and then ask you, but now..."

"Ask what? You mean you want me to be your consort?"

"No, I want you to be my husband. Consorts are not necessarily spouses, Joxer--not necessarily forever. Aphrodite was my consort, but she's Hephastus' wife now." He slid his hands back into Joxer's hair. "I'm not going to give you up, ever. I love you too much for that."

"Did... did you say...?"

"Love. Yes, I've waited too damn long to say it. I love you, Joxer. I have for a long time. I used to think of love as a 'soft' emotion, and I didn't want to admit to being soft in any way. Well, let me tell you--since I've known you, I've realized that love can also be just as strong and fierce as anything. Marry me, Joxer. I can't promise you anything but kooky in-laws and the fact that I will cherish and protect you to the end of time. It's all I have to offer."

Joxer kissed him softly. "Don't worry about the in-laws, Ares." He smiled, "You've MET Jett and Jayce, haven't you?"



Seeking Balance 15

Joxer closed his mouth and crossed his arms, looking at Ares stubbornly. "Joxer, open up."

Joxer shook his head. "Mm-uh."

"Just a little more."

Joxer covered his mouth with his hand before he spoke. "No more of that pink thing. I'm sick of it."

"C'mon, baby, do it for me."

"Ares, I am SICK of ambrosia! You've been shoveling that stuff into me by the bucketload."

"You're exaggerating. Anyway, it's for the baby."

Joxer sighed in defeat, dropped his hand, and opened his mouth. Ares spooned some more of the quivering pink glob into his lover's mouth. "And CHEW--don't try to swallow it whole, no matter how soft it is."

Ares made a sympathetic expression as Joxer scrunched up his face in distaste. Joxer sighed, and his hand rested on the curve of his belly. "The things I'm willing to do for this child."

"As Strife would say, think of the future guilt material you'll have. That's enough for now." He set the bowl aside, then took Joxer's hand. "Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea for you to have a little something to boost you." He took a breath. "Zeus is between affairs, and I think it's time."

Joxer went very still, eyes wide. "Really?" Ares nodded. Joxer swallowed. "Oh, gosh. I've been waiting for this for so long, and now I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff, about to jump off."

"None of that till after the baby is born, and even then, I don't advise it. The healing can take months."

"How are we going to do this?"

"Well, everyone who knows about you is coming with us."

"Oh, gosh, are you sure about that? What if he feels humiliated in front of all those people?"

"There's that, but then again, there's also a good chance that he won't make a scene in front of that many people. He isn't going to want to let it be seen that he's upset. Are you ready?"

Joxer squared his shoulders. "Yes. Although I have to tell you, I looked forward to meeting that hydra more than I'm looking forward to this."

Ares hugged him. "You're brave when it counts, lover." They stood, and he took Joxer in his arms. "Hold on tight."

*Flash*

They appeared in Zeus' audience room. Ares had a chair appear with them, and eased Joxer into it immediately, popped a basin into existence, and offered it. Joxer held his stomach for a moment, then shook his head, and looked around, his eyes growing rounder by the second. The room was very quiet, considering the number of people present. There was Ace, Aphrodite, Hephastus, Cupid, Strife, Hermes, and Gaia.

Zeus and Hera were sitting on their thrones. Hera looked curious, and Zeus looked curios, irritated, and frustrated. He said. "Finally. Perhaps now you'll tell me what's so urgent that you all DEMAND an audience?" He blinked, then pointed at Joxer. "And someone get rid of the mortal. He has no business here."

Ares rested a hand on Joxer's shoulder. "On the contrary, Father--he is the reason we are here."

"Well, if he's the trouble, why aren't you handling it yourself? Surely one mortal isn't that big a difficulty."

Ares scowled. "You know, Father, you have a bad habit of only looking at the surface of things. Take another look at this 'mortal'."

Zeus did not miss the ironic emphasis his son put on the last word. He stared at the slender, dark haired man in the chair beside his eldest son, studying him. There didn't seem to be anything unusual about him--just a simple human, and not a very impressive one at that. But Ares had said that he only looked at the surface, so he concentrated, reaching out to scan the man with his power.

His eyes flew open. He shot to his feet, arm out thrust, finger stabbing toward the seated man. Joxer cringed, and immediately Ares was between him and Zeus, shielding his lover. One hand flexed, ready to flick a power bolt to deflect anything that Zeus could fling, but there was no need. Zeus did not attack, he just went, "YOU! THAT'S the new god?"

Jaws didn't' actually hit the floor, but several of them ended up on chests. Aphrodite was the first one to find her voice. "You... you KNEW?"

Zeus gave her an irritated look. "Well, of COURSE I did. Do you really think that there could be a new god on Olympus for almost five months and I WOULDN'T know it? There have been strange power flashes going off for ages now--bursts that I couldn't identify. Plus there was that bowl of vomit that appeared floating in my bathing pool a month ago. It wasn't one of Strife's, and I couldn't think of anyone else who'd be foolhardy enough to do that on purpose, so I figured it had to be someone trying to get control of their new powers."

"Why haven't you said anything?" asked Ares.

Zeus snorted, then smiled. "Well, to be honest, I was having fun trying to figure out who it was. I like a good puzzle, and they don't come along often. What I DON'T know is how this happened, and why you all felt like you had to keep it a secret from me--aside from the obvious fact that this isn't supposed to happen without my approval."

Strife waved his hand, "Oo, lemme, lemme! It was soooo cool!" Aphrodite and Bliss had told him everything. He had been a little disappointed that Cupid didn't, but then Cupid wasn't talking to him lately. He was STARING a lot, but he wasn't talking. It was making Strife nervous, since it had him constantly going over in his mind whether or not he'd done anything receently to piss his cousin off. Strife related how Joxer had come to be a god, complete with gestures. He was so involved that he didn't notice Cupid covering his mouth to hide his smile. "...an' BOOM! Godhood. So ya see, it really wasn't ANYBODY'S fault. This has gotta be wunna those 'decreed by Fate' thingies."

Zeus said dryly, "I'm going to have to have a talk with those girls about being a little more conscientious about telling me things. If they haven't notified me about this, what other secrets might they be keeping?"

Joxer peeked around Ares, lifting his hand timidly. "I think that maybe the fact that I'm pregnant by Ares might be one." Zeus sat down suddenly, a stunned look on his face. "Ah, I see that I'm right."

"You... Ares... What?" Ares blocked Joxer again, but Zeus slowly smiled. "Another grandchild."

Joxer pushed Ares gently aside. "I'm pretty sure it's going to be a boy. He's being awfully active lately."

"It's probably those peppers you ate this morning," said Ares.

"JOXER!" squawked Ace, then, "Ares?"

"He can conjure up his own food now, Ace. I can't very well stop him. But believe me, he heard about it." Joxer crinkled his nose at Ares, who sighed. "Though I don't know how much good it did." Ares smiled almost reluctantly, "And I thought I'd be getting a nice, submissive consort." Joxer rolled his eyes.

"Consort? Oh, I think not!" Hera's voice was firm.

Ares blinked. He hadn't really expected that, but he supposed that Hera's long suffering through Zeus' dallying in the mortal realms might have prejudiced her. "I'm not giving him up, Mother."

"I should say not! But you're not just having him as a glorified concubine, either. You're getting married, son, and that's final!"

Aphrodite was clapping her hands, Cupid and Strife were grinning, and Ares and Joxer exchanged stunned, but happy looks. Ares cleared his throat and said, "Mom, Father... I... I don't know what to say."

Zeus and Hera exchanged looks. "Well, obviously you were expecting me to go on some sort of rampage. Would it make you happy if I threw a few thunderbolts?"

"Don't bother."

Hera came down off the throne. "Ares, get out of the way so I can have a look at my future son-in-law." Ares stood aside. "Stand up, child." Joxer stood, and bowed to Hera. "Oh, stop that, silly! You'll cramp the baby." She reached out, spreading her hands over the swell that was just pushing out the front of Joxer's loose tunic. After a moment she smiled, eyes twinkling. "You're very astute, Joxer. You will have a son. Grandmother?"

Gaia stepped forward. "Yes, dear?"

"While this obviously wasn't impossible, we all know that it's improbable, given the fact that Joxer is a made god, and not a born one. Did you have a hand in this?"

"Not directly, dear, no."

Hera looked at the gentle, shining haired woman shrewdly. "Doing the mysteries of Nature bit again?"

Gaia smiled, then looked at Cupid. "Dear, I need for you to tell Bliss that it's time for him to send back the Chaos stone."

Cupid slapped his forehead. "I should have known."

"Oh, I didn't give it to him. No, this was all the Stone's own idea." She gave a silvery laugh. "You didn't all think I have complete control of it, did you? No, indeed. It has a mind of its own. I can't say I disagree with it this time, though." She smiled at Zeus, who was still looking stunned. "Don't you think that you ought to go ahead and make the godhood official? I'm sure that Hera and Aphrodite are just itching to get after planning the wedding and baby shower, now that things are out in the open."

Zeus stood again, straightening his robes with great importance as he came down off the dais. "Yes. Let me determine it now, and we can have an official ceremony in a couple of days to announce it to the world."

He came down to Joxer, reached up, and settled his hands on either side of the young man's face. "Relax, Joxer. I need to read your power aura to determine what your godhood is." He closed his eyes, and so did Joxer.

There was a sense of breathless anticipation in the room. There was no telling what godhood would be bestowed--whether an entirely new one would be created, or whether an existing god would have to give up a portion of their present authority. Apollo was feeling particularly antsy. After all, he was God of Music, Medicine, the Sun... Oh, he complained sometimes of how busy he was, but he honestly couldn't imagine giving up any of it.

Zeus scanned the young man before him, searching deep into his soul. He saw the past pain that bred compassion, the scars that did not harden him, the empathy for those who suffered, the desire to ease that suffering, and the very new, but soul deep, serenity that he had found in the love of Ares. In a single flash, it was all very clear to Zeus. There was only one godhood that was right for Joxer, he would do a splendid job at it, taking joy in the good that he could do, and this was a godhood that had been needed for a long, long time.

The other gods and goddesses were surprised by the gentleness of Zeus' smile when he opened his eyes. He settled his hands on Joxer's shoulders. Instead of the usual booming tones he used to make official pronouncements, Zeus' voice was almost soft. "Welcome Joxer, God of Peace."

There were gasps, then an approving murmur ran through the group as Joxer smiled. His eyes lighted, and he stood straighter. Zeus stepped back, and Joxer began to glow as his official godhood began to manifest for the first time. The young man closed his eyes and let his head tip back, spreading his arms as if welcoming the new responsibility.

The power was not as great as it might be for some of the others, but then, the human race did not know that they now had someone they could petition directly to bring peace, both in the grand sweep of nations, and the small, quiet moments of their own lives. Yes, the power was not specifically directed to Joxer yet, but it was there, because there were always those who longed for peace. There was more than one person who watched the silvery glow suffuse the former mortal, and thought that there might come a time when Joxer would be very important and powerful indeed.

The glow increased till it was near blinding, making those gathered turn their eyes aside, or shield them. Then it began to die down. Joxer's clothing was in much the same style as it had been, but now it white, the gentle cream color of a dove. His boots and belt were of butter soft grey leather, with silver buckles. On his breast was a pin. In its center was a single milky opal, the size of a robin's egg, surrounded by perfect pearls, each the size of a fingertip, the whole mounted on a simple circle of silver. It spoke of the full moon, and deep, still waters--Nature in those all to brief moments of calm, that were all the more precious for their brevity. These were to be Joxer's official robes, how he would appear to his followers, and on state occasions.

Joxer had always been an attractive man, though most people on earth had been blinded to this by their initial impression of brash clumsiness, and Joxer's self-doubts (which were hidden by bravado). Now, due mainly to his security in Ares' love, but partly because of the gift of inner peace bestowed by his new position, Joxer shone as he had been meant to. He was, quite simply, beautiful--his inner goodness shining through to enhance the physical.

"Well," said Here, smiling, "You and Ares should make some very pretty children. Now, then, I think that we ought to have the joining ceremony quickly, but not with undue haste. I'd say that a week after the official presentation should do. Apollo, tell the Muses that I'll need their help. Oh, and I'll need Hestia and Demeter, of course, to help with the reception. Cupid, can Bliss handle being ring bearer?"

Cupid smiled. "I don't think I'd be able to deal with him if he was passed over."

Aphrodite was bouncing up and down. "And Gaia was right. If we're having the wedding that early, we have practically no time to give Joxer and Ares a wedding shower."

Ares sighed, rolling his eyes. "Like we really need one. It isn't as if we can't just make anything we need."

Aphrodite's lip stuck out (a lot like Bliss), and Joxer said quickly, "Hey, I'm looking forward to that! No one has ever planned a party just for me before." He whispered to Ares, "So we end up with a half-dozen toasting forks and a couple of sculptures that we stick in the back bedroom. It'll make her and the other girls happy."

Aphrodite perked up, and gave him a hug. "Don't you worry, sweetie! We're going to have just the best shower for you! I have to go start planning the decorations." She flashed away.

"One thing," Strife muttered to Cupid, "Now that tha baby is officially identified as bein a boy, 'Dite's gonna hafta curb tha pink a little." He giggled. "I'd hate ta see what transpires if she evah gets her mits on a female grandchild."



Seeking Balance 16: Unofficial Announcements

They were back at Ares' (and now Joxer's) home. Ares insisted that Joxer sit down and put his feet up. "Well, I have to admit," said Ares, "The old goat took me completely by surprise."

Joxer lifted an eyebrow. "You'd have preferred roars of rage and thunderbolts?"

Ares shrugged. "I was all wound up to fight for you, and now I have all this extra energy built up. I need to go have a squirmish or something to work it off. Maybe I can get Strife to spar with me. Whipping his ass always relaxes me."

Joxer frowned. "That's not very nice, Ares."

Ares cocked an eyebrow. "Joxer, this is STRIFE, I'm talking about, okay? It isn't as if he doesn't expect it."

Joxer folded his arms. "I'm sure that some primative tribes say the same things about their human sacrifices. Just because something has always been one way, that doesn't mean it's RIGHT."

Ares rolled his eyes. "It's your godhood--you can't help it."

Joxer sighed. *Well, I can't expect to change his outlook overnight, and there are a lot of things I shouldn't TRY to change. I'll just have to wait and figure out what those are. In the meantime...* He reached over and stroked Ares' thigh. "There are better ways to work off energy."

Ares smiled, starting to sit beside him on the lounge, then frowned, standing back up suddenly. "You're pregnant."

Joxer arched an eyebrow. "We've established that. Now you won't have to worry about me getting pregnant..." he thought, "not that that was a big concern before."

"No, I mean you're PREGNANT. What it if hurts the baby?"

Joxer stared at Ares. Simultaneously they lifted their heads and shouted, "ACE!"

Asclepius appeared in a flash. "WHAT IS IT? PAINS? BLOOD? WATER BROKE? CONVULSIONS?"

"We need to know if it's safe to have sex," said Ares.

Ace stared at him, then collapsed into a chair, materialized a glass of water, and drank it down. "Don't DO that to me! I thought it was an emergency."

Joxer looked at Ares. "Whether or not we can have sex isn't considered an emergency?" He looked at Ace. "It darn sure is to me."

Asclepius sighed. "Look, Ares--did you have to give up sex when you found out Aphrodite was pregnant with Cupid?" Ares shook his head. "Same principle here. Really, with most pregnancies, that isn't a problem, as long as you don't get, er, gymnastic. Later you may need to consult a little to figure out a way that will be comfortable for Joxer and not squeeze the baby, but there's nothing to worry about right now." He stood up. "Now, if you'll excuse me..." he grinned, "and I have a feeling you will--I need to get back. I just about have Strife talked out of piercing his nose." He flashed away.

"Well, Joxer, I..." Ares looked down to find Joxer's eyes crossed at he tried to look at his own nose. He passed a hand over Joxer's eyes. "Stop it. Do you want the baby to be cross-eyed? Don't worry, I think Ace will talk him out of it. Strife just does it occasionally to mess with him. He's going to run out of body parts to threaten to pierce one of these days."

"Speaking of body parts being pierced..." Joxer started unlacing Ares pants.

"Yes, that sounds like a good..." *whoop!* "Joxer! You're going to choke yourself." *slurpslurp* "Not that I mind, but..." *slurpslurpslurp* *lick* "Ooooh, Tartaus!" *squeeze* *howl!* *pantpant* "Damn, Joxer!"

"That's the quick one out of the way," said Joxer cheerfully.



Two hours later

*tickletickletickle* *moan* "Joxer, I'm a God, but even a god can only manage so much, so fast. I need a nap."

"Would a golden apple help? Maybe some ambrosia?" asked Joxer helpfully.

"Zeus! Babe, isn't your ass sore? I mean, I've hardly been out of it for the last hour and a half. And I want to know where you learned that trick that kept me hard inside you even after I came."

Joxer grinned at him. "Let's say I ate a lot of roughage back in Greece, and you have to do SOMETHING to get rid of it."

Ares grimaced, then sighed. "I thought I wasn't very romantic, love, but that's a bit much, even for me."

"Sorry." *pause* "Are you ready yet?"

"Uh, don't you think it's time I broke the news to your friends and family?"

Joxer sat up. "Why can't -I- break the news to them?"

"Well, I don't think you should be traveling any more than necessary, particularly between realms, and you know very well that Hercules and Gabrielle don't like to be summoned to Olympus. Xena and Iolaus don't mind, but they wouldn't like being brought here without their companions."

"Okay, I can see that. But what about Jett and Jayce? I want to tell my brothers."

"Well, that shouldn't be a problem. Let's get dressed." They both flashed on clothes. "They can visit here with you while I go talk to the other ones. Do you have any idea where they are? It'll make things quicker if I don't have to hunt for them."

"Let's see, this month... Jayce is usually in Athens for the opening of the theater season. Jett..." he shrugged. "If he isn't in prison, probably in the area of the highest concentration of political machination. He picks up a lot of work just by hanging around the various royal courts."

Ares closed his eyes and concentrated. "Ah, there's Jayce." There was a flash of red sparks.

Jayce, resplendent as usual in multi-colored clothes, was sitting on the edge of the bed, legs crossed neatly at the knees, holding a sheet of parchment. He looked around, blinking, then crossed his arms, chin tipping down. "Hokay. I was yust about to see the premier of a lovely play, with the yummiest leas actor, and hwhy am I here instead?" He looked aorund huffily, then saw Joxer. All irritation fell away as he squealed, "Yoxie!" He grabbed his brother in a hug that was surprisingly vigorous for someone who acted so whispy. "Baby brother! I haven't seen you for MONTHS!"

Ares said, "Well, now that the family reunion is officially underway, I'm off. I'll send Jett along as soon as I can find him." He flashed away.

Jayce lifted a carefully plucked eyebrow at Joxer. "Yoxie, doll, was that who I THEENK eet was?"

Joxer blushed. "Ares."

Jayce looked around. "And thees ees obviously Olympus." Joxer nodded. Jayce clapped his hands.
"Oh, Yoxie! He FINALLY notices you!"

"Um, well... he did a little more than notice me, Jayce."

Both eyebrows went up this time. "Hyes?" He gave Joxer a careful look, then grinned, and crooned, "Oo, someone looks VERY well loved. You're yust GLOWING! In fact, you almost look like..." He tilted his head, studying his brother closely. "No, that's not possible."

"What's not possible? I gotta tell you, Jayce--there's been a lot of strange stuff going on lately."

Jayce snickered. "Hwell, the last person I saw who looked like you had twins." Joxer fainted. "Yoxie?" Jayce had experience with people who had vapors (the theatrical world was full of the overly dramatic). He efficiently checked Joxer's pulse and breathing, then got a glass of water from the pitcher sitting on the table and flicked drops in Joxer's face. When Joxer started blinking, Jayce put aside the glass. "We'll yust loosen your clothes a bit to make it easier to breathe, hm?" Before Joxer could comment, Jayce was making short work of Joxer's lacings. He giggled. "Yoxie, what has he been feeding you?" *patpat* "Yust look at that leetle dumpling tummy! You almost look..." His eyes widened, and he looked questioningly at Joxer.

"Like I said, a LOT of weird stuff has been going on."

"Hyou have any wine around here? I could really use a snort." Joxer held up his hand, and a goblet of wine appeared. Jayce put a hand to his breast. "Honey, I see we have a LOT to talk about."

*****

Ares had been giving some thought to how he was going to break the news to the Freaky Four. Truth be told, he wasn't really worried about getting word to Gabrielle and Hercules. He was still of the opinion that they had treated Joxer shabbily. If Xena hadn't over rode their suspicion and antagonism to Ares, Joxer might well have died before he could get Joxer to help.

*I think Iolaus and Xena will be happy enough at how things have turned out that there won't be a problem with I mess with the minds of their significant others just a bit.*

He located Xena and Gabrielle in a small tent that was situated between two very small armies. A couple of third-level warlords were threatening to get into a pissing contest, and of course the foursome were trying to talk them out of it. Ares assessed the situation, and appeared in the tent. He glared at first one warlord, then the other. "Neither one of you are ready for this, you ninnies! All it will accomplish is a lot of fairly decent warriors dead, and maybe a mile or so of land exchanged, one way or the other. Knock it off, till I can think of something constructive for you to do."

"But Lord Ares..." began one.

Ares wrapped his fist in the man's tunic and lifted him up on his toes. "Look, I'm in a good mood right now, so I won't skin you alive for questioning me, but I don't have infinite patience. Go home to your wife." He looked at the other warlord, who was smirking. "You, go home to your husband." The man gaped, but both of them left, though the first one was snickering.

"Ares!" said Gabrielle. "That wasn't very smart. Now that second one is going to feel obligated to go after the first one somewhere down the line."

"No. Really? What a shame. Now, shut up. I have a couple of announcements to make."

She jutted his jaw beligerently. "Why should we be interested in anything you have to say?"

"Well, considering what a VITAL interest you take in," his lips twisted, "peace, I think this is worth your attention. Olympus has a new god--the God of Peace."

There was a moment of silence, and then Gabrielle, looking joyous and smug at the same time (if that was possible) crowed, "At last! I knew it would come to pass some day! Who is this new god?"

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of letting THAT cat out of the bag. Dad would be irritated if I spread it around before he made the official announcement. But a proclamation will go forth from every temple of every deity in Greece in a few days." He smiled, and it wasn't entirely nice. "You seem excited, Gabrielle."

She clasped her hands. "Oh, I've waited for this for so long. I knew that the Way would eventually triumph, and now the end is in sight! People will flock to this new god."

"I can understand why. How about you? Are YOU going to worship him?"

"How could I not worship someone dedicated to something so wonderful. I will gladly lend my
services to his cause."

"I'm going to remind you of that in the future, and I may have more news for you later. By the way, I'm getting married, there's going to be a baby, Joxer is fine, and he sends his regards." He disappeared.

Xena and Gabrielle were left batting away sparks, and gaping. Gabrielle said, "What poor woman has he trapped?" Xena rapped her on the head with her knuckles. "Hey!"

"He's still my father, Gabby." She smiled. "So, Dad's getting married. I THOUGHT he was acting kind of mellow."

"Mellow?"

"He only THREATENED flaying, right? And a baby! I'm going to be an aunt again. This is so exciting." She sighed. "And it's good to hear that Joxer is doing well."

"Humph," said Gabrielle. "Ares' version of fine is likely to mean he's managing to remain conscious through most of the torture."

Xena gritted her teeth. "You know, Gabby, this is getting old." She turned around and stalked off, with Gabrielle following at her heels, demanding to know what she'd said to get Xena so upset.

*****

Ares reappeared on Olympus. Joxer was sitting with his feet up, while Jayce fanned him with a leather breast plate. Jayce looked at him and grinned. "Hola, Lord Ares. Thank chu very much for my first niece or nephew."

Joxer, amused, looked up at him. "Um, Jett?"

Jayce shrugged. "Hwell, the first one that we know of."

"Speaking of Jett--Jayce, do you have any idea where he is?"

Jayce pursed his lips. "He's been naughty again. I theenk he's in jail at Tolanamous. They haven't figured out who he is yet, so they haven't executed him. I theenk he's taking a wacation, or he'd have been out of there by now."

"I'll send him to you." He gave a sharp smile. "I still have to go have a talk with my brother." He disappeared.

Jayce flapped the breast plate at Joxer again. "So, sweetie, thees child is obviously going to be especial. You need to start theenking right now about what sort of training chu want to give heem."

"I'm sure Ares will want to take care of his arms training and fighting."

"Yoxie! I mean dancing, recitation, voice... Oh, I hope he gets chur voice! You could have been the best soprano in the world, but then again, there would have had to be that nasty operation..."

*****

*Let's see--the guard is taking his second whizz of the day. I should have a good five minutes.* Jett pulled the make-shift knife from under a pile of straw in his room and began to sharpen it against a stone, whistling softly to himself. *I'd better leave tomorrow. If I wait, they might get word about that little incident last month...*

*Flash*

Jett looked up to find a tall, bearded man in leather standing in his cell. He immediately stood and bowed. "Lord Ares. How may I serve you?"

Ares looked around. "Getting sloppy, Jett?"

The Kind of Assassins shrugged. "Miscalculation. I didn't know that minor official would be returning from his vacation early. My bad luck that is concubine ate bad clams. He knew he knew me from somewhere, so he had me locked up on general principles till he could be sure. I was planning on leaving tomorrow."

"Would you mind making it a day early? Your brother would like to see you."

"Sure! Which one?"

"They'll both be there, but it's mainly Joxer." He gripped Jett's arm and flashed them both away.

They reappeared on Olympus. Jayce squealed and ran to them, grabbing Jett. "Yett! You gonna be an uncle!"

Jett started. "Jayce, what have you been up to?"

Jayce laughed. "Not me, silly! Yoxie."

Jett grinned at Joxer. "Bro! You finally get into that bard's pants?"

"No, I didn't father a baby. I'm sort of... mothering one."

Jett blinked. He was silent for a moment, processing. His face tightened. "Who the hell is he? Is he gonna marry you, or do I have to convince him?"

Ares put a hand on Jett's shoulder. "It's me, and no, you don't have to convince me. Hera and Dite have their heads together right now, planning the wedding."

Jett's expression relaxed, and he grinned. "Then welcome to the family."

Ares looked between Jayce and Jett. "You two are taking this well."

They both just shrugged. "Let's face it," said Jett cheerfully, "we've been out of the mainstream since Mom popped us out."

"Besides," said Jayce, "hwhat the Tartarus ees so great about being 'normal'?"

Ares snorted. "You know, when it comes to in-laws, I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. Joxer, I have to go break the news to Hercules and Iolaus now. Why not ask the boys to stay for awhile? We have plenty of room."

"That'd be great! Um, how did Gabby and Xena take the news?"

"Well, Gabrielle is very happy about the godhood. I didn't stick around to poll their reaction. Gotta
go."

*Flash*

Joxer frowned. "Why do I have the feeling that he wasn't saying more than he WAS saying?"

Jett had found a whetstone and was sharpening his knife again. "Get used to it, baby brother. It's a
god thang."

*Flash*

"Oops."

Hercules and Iolaus jerked out of a passionate embrace. Hercules did, anyway. Iolaus wasn't fazed much by being interupted during nookie unless it was by someone very young, very large and enraged, or someone carrying a weapon. Ares could have qualified on the last two counts most days, but right now he didn't have a weapon in hand, and he looked amused.

Hercules got very red in the face very quickly. "What are you doing?"

"Interrupting, from the looks of it. I won't keep you two but a moment. I thought you'd want the news about Joxer."

"How IS Joxer?" said Iolaus eagerly. He really liked the brash, bumbling, but good-hearted warrior.

"He's doing very well, and quite happy. And I thought you'd like to know, Olympus has a new god."

Hercules groaned. "Just what we need!"

"I suppose you could get Father to reconsider it, if you asked nicely. After all, we don't really need a God of Peace."

"Pea...? What?"

"Clean your ears. God--of--Peace. He'll be formally announced in the temples in a day or so." Ares sneered. "I suppose you'll be pushing in as soon as possible to offer your services."

"If he promotes peace, yes," said Hercules stoutly.

"What a shock," drawled Ares. "As long as I'm here, I might as well tell you--I have a kid on the way, and I'm getting married."

Hercules frowned, and his tone was disapproving, "The order of things is a bit off."

"Oh, come on, Herk." Iolaus elbowed him in the side. If I remember things correctly, Iphecles came along WAY before your Mom had her first anniversary with Iphecles' father. You're not going to say anything about HER, are you?"

Hercules was silent. Ares smirked. "Yeah, I thought that would shut you up--as long as it didn't come from me. You're both invited to the ceremony. Don't worry about gifts, or transportation." He flashed away before Hercules could protest.

Hercules sat down heavily on the edge of the bed. "That's the LAST thing we need--him breeding more of his kind."

"I don't know. Cupid and Xena turned out pretty cool." He plopped down on Hercules' lap, putting his arms around his neck. "I wonder if I ought to get a new set of clothes for the wedding?"

Ares reappeared in his bedroom on Olympus, and looked around. It was empty. He lifted his voice. "Joxer?" Joxer entered the room. "Where are your brothers?"

"Well, Hermes came by to tell us that the announcement has been set for tomorrow. Jayce went with him to visit the Muses, and maybe see Apollo. You know, since he's in the performing arts. I told Jett he could look around in your weapon room. You don't mind?"

"No. If anyone has respect for a good weapon, it's Jett, and he wouldn't steal--he'd just ask." Ares took Joxer in his arms and kissed him. "He knows that I'm going to be a soft touch now that we're getting married."

Joxer rolled his eyes, but grinned. "I have something to show you. You remember that little room at the end of the hall?"

"The spare room? What about it?"

"I was talking with Jayce, and he mentioned something one of the premiere actresses in Athens had done in decorating. It sounded great, so I tried it, and I think I did a pretty good job, too. C'mon." He grabbed Ares hand and tugged him out of the room.

Ares, feeling indulgent, followed along. "Decorating, Joxer? Please tell me I'm not going to find pink guaze draperies and floral murals."

"I said Jayce, not Dite. And this," they were at the door of the room, and Joxer was grinning, "is something completely different." He swung the door open and pushed Ares inside.

The room was suffused by a soft, golden glow. At first Ares thought that Joxer had lit a slew of candles, but after his eyes adjusted, he saw that there were only two--but those two were reflected many times over. The walls were lined with mirrors. Besides the small table holding the candles, the only other thing in the room was a large, black-sheeted bed sitting in the exact center.

Ares stepped deeper into the room, gazing around at the reflections. It was almost surreal. The door shut, and he looked at the opposite wall to see a reflection of Joxer leaning back against the door, watching him. Surreal, but damn sexy.

"Joxer, are you sure that you weren't REALLY meant to be dedicated to Aphrodite instead of me?"

"I'm not her worshipper--I just admire her work." He tackled Ares. Clothing flew, limbs thrashed. Ares had the very novel and inspiring experience of watching himself make love to Joxer. He also found out that the ceiling was mirrored, too.

They lay on the bed afterward. Ares held Joxer, feeling tired, but content. He'd often felt exhausted in his life, but he'd very seldom felt... SATISFIED.

He was just drifting off to sleep when he felt a tickle at his thigh. "Ar?"

He groaned. "Joxer, AGAIN?"



Seeking Balance 17: Ascension and Marital Aids

Ares appeared at Aphrodite's temple, and found her, Demeter, Hestia, and Hera discussing the upcoming ceremonies--wedding, reception, and baby shower. They all looked up at him with various types of smiles, but all of them held a certain amount of smug wisdom. He wondered if ALL women were like that. "Ladies, I'm glad to find so many of you together. I'll just need to get in touch with Eris, Athena, Artemis, Hecate, and the Muses."

"Allow me," said Hera. "Hermes!" He appeared in a flash of silver sparkles. "Fetch Eris, Athena, Artemis, Hecate, and the Muses, tell them to come quickly, tell no one, and no, they may not beg off." He raised an eyebrow, but nodded, and went.

Ares said, "Thank you, mother, but what was with the 'tell no one'?"

"You were just looking rather sneaky, so I thought it would be a good idea. I do hope it's something amusing. As much as I love preparing for weddings and births, coming right on top of the new godhood, this IS a bit stressful."

Goddesses started popping in. Aphrodite, ever the good hostess, materialized plenty of comfortable seats, snacks, and beverages. Ares watched as Eris eyed a plate of tiny sandwiches, snorted, and materialized a smoked turkey drumstick. She took a hefty bite and said, "I hope this is good. I left someone interesting tied to my bed."

The other women were watching him curiously. "How would you ladies like to mess with the minds of Hercules and Gabrielle?" His smile wasn't at all nice, and the smiles that answered it weren't much different. "All it involves is a little deception, and strong stomachs."

Later that night--or would it be early that morning?

*rubrubrub*

*moan* "Joxer, I love ya, but have mercy. Don't you need to rest?"

"Well, I AM a little tired, but I'm still horny, too."

"Look, you have your official presentation in a few hours. Do you really think it would be a good start if the God of Peace made his first public appearance looking like he'd spent a wild weekend in a whorehouse?"

*nip* "Don't talk about yourself like that." *grope*

"I swear, I'm chaining you down if you don't give me a little rest."

Joxer's voice was a little smug. "Ha. I'm a god now, too. Ya can't do it."

"Wanna bet?" *brrrzpt* *clinkclink* "See these? They're made of Hephastian metal, and I WILL use them if I must. Now, lay your well-used ass down and try to sleep!"

"You're so cute when you're pissed off." *jingle* "Okay, okay." *pause* "I love you when you're coy."

"JOXER!"

*****

Just Past Dawn

"Mmm... Ooo, Hephie..."

*Flash* "Dite, you've got to help me."

*Squeak!* "Ares, KNOCK, or something!" scolded Aphrodite.

*growl!"

"Look, Heph, I'm sorry, but I'm at my wit's end."

The God of the Forge scowled, but said, "Well, I can't remember you ever pulling this stunt before--not like Strife. I suppose it must be fairly serious." He and Aphrodite sat up, drawing sheets to the proper level.

Aphrodite raked blonde curls out of her eyes (she was the one who invented the 'just rolled out of bed look'). "What is it, Ar?" Her voice was anxious. "Nothing wrong with Joxie?"

"It depends on how you look at it." Ares sat on the edge of the bed. "The only reason I escaped is that Jayce wanted to give him a couple of deportment lessons before the ceremony."

"What do you mean, 'escaped'? And why do you look so tired? Have you started another war I haven't heard about? You look absolutely KNACKERED."

Ares sighed heavily. "It's Joxer."

"What? Has he got you moving furniture? You can do it by mind power, remember?"

Aphrodite giggled. "Heph, really!" She waved a finger at him. "Thaaaat's not what it is. Haven't you noticed how much energy I've had the last couple of days?"

Understanding dawned in Hephastus's eyes, and he grinned. "I'll be damned! Ares, you mean to tell me that little mortal is wearing you out in bed?"

Ares groaned. "I never thought I'd complain of too MUCH sex, but I'm starting to feel chafed. And the last time, I almost... uh... almost didn't..." He was turning red. "Joxer enjoyed it, anyway, because it took me practically forever to come. He finally passed out, and I snuck over and woke up Apollo." At their astonished looks, he said, "Yes, I resorted to talking to Shiny Britches. He was pissed when I popped in, because it turns out that Jayce was having a 'sleep over'." Ares shrugged. "I'm pretty sure he's rebounding from not getting his hands on Joxer, and if this makes it less likely I have to skin him alive, I'm all for it. Anyway, he was feeling good enough not to snicker at me. He says it's just hormones, and Joxer should settle back to normal in a week or so, but I don't think I can LAST till then. What am I going to do? And stop laughing, Heph."

Hephastus stifled the chuckles. "I'm sorry. It's just that the only other people I know less likely to have that problem would be Bacchus and Apollo, and the very idea of either one of them..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Dite, can you help me?"

"I suppose I could try to trickle a little of the energy back to you, but that might be sort of like pouring gasoline on a fire." She got up and started pacing, arms behind her back. Since she was still nude, this might have been distracting to most men, but Ares was in no condition to get horny over anything at the moment, and Hephastus had the contentment of knowing that was HIS, and he could get lucky pretty much any time he pleased. "Okay, the way I see it is that instead of charging you up, we need to find a way to drain Joxer's batteries."

"Oh, no!" said Ares instantly. "I wouldn't agree to that anyway, and with him carrying the baby."

"No, not an actual energy drain, silly! I mean giving him something to do that'll take care of his urges, but not wear you down to a nub." Ares brows lowered. "And don't look at me like that. I'm sure not going to suggest screwing around to anyone whose relationship is as fresh and strong as the one you two have. No..." she smiled. "I think Joxer just needs a toy. Heph, honey, do you remember that little domestic aide I was telling you about the other day?"

Hephastus grinned. "Yes, and I think you have exactly the right idea. I've been setting up the process. Ares, I'm pretty sure that no one will notice if I'm not at the ascension ceremony..."

"Joxer would notice," said Ares.

Hephastus's smile softened. "Yes, I think you're right. Anyway, if we hurry, and you make my excuses to Joxer, I think I can have that little thing done by this afternoon."

"I can tell him that you're attending to some urgent prayers from a village that has just started a new forge to make weapons, to protect themselves from bandits. He won't mind, if it's to help the vulnerable defend themselves."

"Good, because I really WILL hate to miss his ceremony, but I'd rather do this little thing for him." He stood up, dressing with a thought. "Come with me. We should just have time to do the molding."

Ares blinked. "Molding?" Hephastus and Aphrodite smiled. "Uh..."

*FLASH*

*****

The sound of brazen horns, cymbals, and drums rang through the city of Athens. A few citizens had visited the city temples and received news of the new god's ascension the following day, and they had been very efficient at spreading the word. Those who had not hear the gossip/announcements heard the noise, dropped what they were doing, and hurried toward the
temple of Zeus. He was the only god who had the authority to make such an imperious and general summons. A new god was going to be presented--a MAJOR god, one that many had been hoping for a long time. No one wanted to miss this.

Hercules didn't exactly bull his way through the jostling crowd, but someone his size naturally cleared a path. Anyone with a lick of sense got out of his way on the general principle that it was better not to risk getting run down. Xena cleared a path just as easily, but that was due mainly to the set of her jaw and perhaps the hand resting on her chakram. Iolaus charmed his way through the crowd, pinching butts and receiving blushes and giggles from both sexes. Gabrielle had neither size, attitude, nor charm, so she just stayed in Xena's wake and occasionally let her staff 'slip'. However they made their way, they were inside the temple, right at the front of the crowd, near the altar, when the time came.

The temple had been specially decorated for the occasion. Zeus's throne took place of pride, of course, set at the exact center of at the head of a shallow flight of wide marble stairs, with a smaller, slightly less grand throne a bit behind and to his right for Hera. Usually there was a throne on each side of the five steps leading down to the temple floor. The squabbling that had been done over the placement of those thrones had been epic, and was still, in fact, going on. Every now and then one of the deities would petition Zeus for a change of order, going into elaborate detail about exactly why they should be moved up a step, or at least seated at his right hand instead of his left. Depending on his mood, or his desire to stir things up, Zeus occasionally granted the request. He then usually ducked out of sight for a few days to give the inevitable fallout a chance to settle.

Gabrielle was burbling over with excitement, and more than a little smugness. Xena simply let her chatter roll over her, though she did wonder occasionally if the bard had convinced herself that she had been directly involved in the bestowal of godhood. She interrupted Gabrielle's chatter abruptly, saying, "Gabby, what's wrong with this picture?"

Gabrielle, a little surprised looked around. "Well, you seldom see a crowd in Zeus's temple so joyful. The decorations are nicer even than they usually are at his festivals. I've never seen so many different kinds of white flowers in my life." There was a fluttering and cooing overhead, and the people around them ducked as a dove flew low, then roosted gracefully on the head of the larger-than-life statue of Zeus. "And not one of those doves that have been swooping around has crapped on anyone."

Xena grunted. "Considering where it alighted, that's a shame. No, look at the thrones."

Gabrielle did, and frowned. "Ostentatious as always."

Xena sighed. "How are you at math, Gabby? COUNT!"

Gabrielle shrugged. "Okay, Zeus and Hera's, one and two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twel-ve..." her voice slowed down, "thir-teen... four... Wait a minute."

Xena nodded. "This IS a change. They won't be The Twelve anymore."

"But they're just adding one new god, so why are there FOURTEEN thrones?"

"You don't think that they'd be so crass as to let things be unsymmetrical, do you? He must mean to elevate one more to the highest level of the Pantheon, but look at the others. See the way they're looking at that fourteenth seat, and whispering to each other? He must not have told them about the other elevation. He DOES love his jokes. I wonder who it will be?"

Gabrielle thought about it. "I'd say Bliss, except that he's still so young. Maybe Persephone?"

"Maybe, but she's more part of her mother's godhood than anything else. I don't think it'll be Eris, either--her work is too close to that of Ares."

"I don't think that Apollo would take too kindly to Asclepius being advanced, even if Ace IS his son. It might dim his glory a little to have someone so close to his own godhood..."

There was a flash of green light, and Demeter appeared in her throne. "Sh," said Xena. "It's starting." One by one the gods and goddesses appeared, each with a different display--colored sparks or flashes. The senior deities appeared last, and highest up. Poseidon brought a distinct briny smell, and more than one person wondered how Hades managed BLACK sparks. Ares, heir to Olympus, finally appeared in the topmost right hand throne, and the crowd grew hushed, waiting
for the King and Queen of the gods.

Ares' eyes searched the crowd. When his gaze fell upon the four heros gathered at the front, his grim expression broke ever so slightly--just enough for his lips to twitch. Xena was immediately suspicious, but surely Ares wouldn't dare to try anything at a state ceremony. She looked around. *Strife, on the other hand...* The more minor godlings were gathered on either side of the altar. Strife was leaning against a pillar with exaggerated nonchalance, using a dagger to clean his fingernails. Cupid was watching him, one eyebrow quirked. Xena blinked. *Funny. Cupid doesn't look irritated. He almost looks...*

*Flash* Hera, Queen of the Gods, was seated regally on her throne. The crowd held its collective breath. *FLASH* Zeus, looking regal as all Tartarus, appeared on his throne. *Gotta give the old reprobate this--he sure does LOOK the part.*

Zeus spoke, voice deep and dignified. "People of Greece, you have been summoned to witness a rare and wonderful occasion. As some of you have no doubt heard, Olympus has received a new god." He smiled slightly. "I won't say exactly how--I'm sure the bards will be able to come up with many interesting versions, and I look forward to hearing them."

He stood, straightening his robes, and came slowly down the stairs. "This godhood would have been delegated some time in the future, but I am glad that the time has come now. It has been noted that at times the gentler aspects of divinity," here he smiled at Aphrodite, Hestia, and Demeter (and Xena thought wryly that only someone who could throw lightening bolts would consider an aspect of nature gentle), "have been outweighed by the more forceful aspects," he glanced at Ares, Eris, and Athena, all of whom rolled their eyes.

He had reached the floor, and now moved to stand before the altar. "Your new god embodies the serenity that a balance of these forces can bring. You may pray to him for peace in all things, great and small, from mighty wars to domestic harmony. I present to you--" The crowd seemed to lean forward eagerly. He knew how to mild a crowd. He paused. At last he said, "The God of Peace..." There was a flash of white light and silver sparks. A tall man in pure white and gentle gray, an olive wreath crowning his smooth brown hair, appeared beside Zeus, smiling sweetly. "Eirini."

*thud* *thud*

"Hercules!" Xena said. "Gabby fainted!" She scooped the limp bard up into her arms. "You clear a way, and I'll carry here..."

"Uh, Zeen?"

"Iolaus, I have to get her out of here before..."

"You'll have to get her somewhere quiet by yourself."

Iolaus was gazing down at his partner. Hercules wasn't unconscious, but his mouth was hanging open, and his eyes were wide and glazed. Hercules said, "Wha? Peace? Gah... gah... God? HIM?"

Ares voice, sounding very satisfied, floated down, "Eirini is the official name, but I'm sure he won't mind if his friends still call him Joxer."



Seeking Balance, 18

"Uh-oh!" Joxer hurried down to where his two friends were currently on the floor. The crowd fell back in awe as Olympus' newest god squatted and materialized a goblet of water, then began flicking droplets in the fallen bard's face. "Xena, has she been staying up to all hours writing again, then skipping breakfast? You can't let her do that--it's bad for her."

"Uh, Jox, I don't think that's what did it," murmured Xena.

"What else could it be? Nothing serious, I hope. Maybe Ace could..."

"I think it's just surprise."

"Surprise? For what?"

"Well," Xena gestured at him vaguely, then at the watching gods and goddesses. "This."

Joxer frowned. "But why should that come as a surprise? Ares told you, didn't he?" Xena was silent. "Didn't...?" He frowned, turning to gaze accusingly at the War God. "Ares!"

Ares shrugged. "I told them that there was going to be a new god, and I was talking about you at the same time. I just assumed they'd be smart enough to put two and two together on their own."

"Oh, sure." Joxer gave him a look that said, 'we're going to talk about this when we get home'. "I guess you informed Hercules and Iolaus the same way?" Ares shrugged. Joxer looked at the group. "Guys, I'm sorry this came as such a shock." He grinned. "Actually, it's been pretty much of a shock to me, too, and..."

"If we could get on with this?" Zeus' voice held an impatient edge that no sensible person would ignore.

"Oh. Right."

Joxer had continued to flick water on Gabrielle, who was now pretty damp. The bard's eyelids fluttered open, and she gasped, "But it was so clear outside!" Then she took in Joxer, who was still dousing her, and sat bolt upright, growling, "JOXER!" She lifted her hand, as if to give him one of her usual smacks.

There were shocked gasps from the assembly, and a warning growl from Ares, but before he could react, Joxer sat back on his heels and LOOKED at Gabrielle. The bard's expression smoothed out. She stared at her upraised hand, as if unsure of exactly what it was doing, then lowered it slowly. "I... you... Why don't I want to hit you anymore?"

Joxer shrugged. "Um, because I'm the God of Peace, and I just did what I'm supposed to do?"

Gabrielle gaped. "You CALMED me? How dare..." The hand went up again. Joxer looked at her. The hand lowered, as Gabrielle smiled serenely. Then she shook her head and snapped, "Stop doing that!"

"Young woman," Zeus said severely. "I'll thank you not to question a god in the performance of his duties. Count yourself lucky that I chose not to mar this happy day by allowing my eldest son to do to you what he so obviously wants. Joxer, please return. There's another matter that needs to be attended to."

"Sure. Sorry, your Bigness." There were titters from the Olympians, and a non-plus look from Zeus, all of which Joxer did not notice. He was busy materializing a goblet of wine, and handing it to Iolaus. "Here, Iolaus. Maybe this will help Herk." He hurried back to the assembled Pantheon as Iolaus began to try to get a still muttering Hercules to drink the wine.

Zeus cleared his throat. "Now, then. As you have all probably notices, there is not one, but two new thrones. I have decided that, in order for the power of the Pantheon to remain balanced, we will not be thirteen, but fourteen. I will be elevating one of our number to a senior position." He smiled smugly as whispering broke out among the divinities, rivaling the eager chatter of the mortals. Everyone was speculating on who was going to get a promotion. Zeus was thoroughly enjoying the curiosity.

At last he said, "This was not an easy decision. There were a number of worthy candidates, but I had to weight the choice carefully, in order to maintain a balance of power." He took a deep breath. "I had first considered Cupid..." The voices rose. Cupid was definitely a favored prospect, but they were troubled by that one word--'had'. "But we already have one divinity in charge of love and passion." He bowed his head toward Aphrodite. She seemed torn between pride in her own importance, and disappointment for her son. "In the universe, all things must balance--love and hate, passion and indifference, dark and light. The Pantheon has for ages been most heavily weighted toward the brighter aspects of the cosmos, with only my son Ares, and my brother Hades, to represent the very necessary dark aspects. Therefore I cannot elevate another light aligned divinity into the upper ranks."

The whispering increased as the possible candidates were tallied by the observers. Bacchus? Hecate? Many noticed that Eris--Discord--was almost vibrating with excitement. More than one person shuddered at this. Eris with more power was a very scary thought.

Strife, slouched against a wall, was watching the proceedings with a sour expression, even though he was getting a power buzz from the mischief the old goat was fomenting by teasing the crowd. "C'mon," he muttered, under his breath. "Get if ovah with."

"You're not excited to see who it will be?"

Strife blinked to find Cupid standing so close-by. "Why should I be? It just means someone's gonna hafta look that much farthah down their nose at me. How 'bout you, Feathahs? No ambition?"

Cupid shrugged, and noted the way Strife's eyes quickly flicked away from the shift of his shoulders, then returned to resolutely fix on a spot in the center of his forehead. "I'm happy where I am." He paused. "Well, pretty happy, but it's nothing that would be cured by a promotion."

"Yah? Yer usually almost as chipper as Sunny Boy. What gives?"

Cupid was studying him. "Maybe I'll tell you sometimes." Strife, curious, started to say something, but Cupid tilted his chin toward Zeus. "Granddad's about to make the big announcement."

"I had considered Eris," Eris started to step forward, but Zeus said quickly, "I'm sorry, my dear. It's the same as it was with Cupid--your position is far too similar to your brother's. I have given this much thought..." Strife snorted softly, thinking of how little time there'd been between Zeus' learning of the new god and this ceremony. "And have chosen to elevate... Strife, God of Mischief."

Stunned silence, then pandemonium. Strife, expression absolutely slack, slumped against the wall, then slowly slid down to sit as his eyes rolled back in his head. Ace and Apollo sprang forward--a fainting god was not a common thing. Before they reached him, Cupid had scooped the limp Mischief God up into his arms and deposited him on a hastily created sofa.

Ace and Apollo both ran their hands through the air over Strife. After a moment they exchanged glances, and Ace said, "Power overdose?"

Apollo nodded. "We have to siphon off some of the power, or his brains might be scrambled. Well, more scrambled than they already are."

"Where do we divert it?"

"I'd say Eirini. He's the newest, with the smallest present power base." They each grasped one of the other's hands, and laid their free hands on Strife--Apollo touching his head, and Ace his chest. "Joxer, come here." The God of Peace immediately came over, his face tense with concern for the young god whom he had begun to consider a friend. "Grip our clasped hands, and brace yourself."

Joxer did as they said. All three of the gods closed their eyes. There was a faint, but resonant, hum. Joxer stiffened, and Ares started down to the group. Aphrodite caught his arm, whispering, "No, Ares--he'll be all right. He's going to have to learn how to deal with power surges, and you know that he wants to help Strife." Ares chewed his lip, but nodded, not trying to break away. Truth be told, he was worried about his nephew. Strife was always so resilient, able to bounce back from anything life threw at him--including his uncle's fireballs. Seeing the younger man so helpless was... disconcerting.

After a moment Strife's eyes opened, and he batted at Asclepius and Apollo. "Enough, already! Ya wanna have me faintin 'cause I'm too low insteada too high?"

"You're welcome," huffed Apollo, turning to rejoin the others.

But Ace smiled at Strife and gripped his shoulder. "You're sure you're all right?"

"Yah." Strife giggled, and it sounded even more unsteady than usual. "As all right as I CAN be, considerin tha butt-load of responsibility that just got dumped in my lap." He glanced toward the other gods, noting their various expressions. "An' tha shit I'm gonna hafta deal with from tha ones passed ovah." Discord was glaring at him. He winced. "Pahticularly Mom. Damn, is my leatha bein singed? But what about Joxie? That musta been a hell of a jolt fah him."

"Joxer?" asked Ace.

"Hm?" Joxer was staring back at Ares, a dreamy smile on his face. "Isn't it wonderful how he can make his own clothes? A mortal tailor could NEVER get those pants so tight."

Strife snickered, seeing the suddenly uneasy look on his uncle's face. "Uh-oh. I guess I know where Joxer is plannin ta channel that extra energy." He snickered again. "Unc oughta rethink that 'I ALWAYS top' policy of his. Sure, he'll end up kinda sore, but I think it'd wear Joxer out quickah if he hadda actually WORK at it."

"Strife, Joxer--get up here so I can finish this," called Zeus.

Strife was a little surprised when Cupid took his hand and drew him to his feet. He noted his cousin's unusually expression, but couldn't understand why he would look so... Not exactly distressed, but close to it, and very thoughtful. Strife nodded his thanks and followed Joxer back. They ended up standing on either side of Zeus. The King of the Gods muttered under his breath, "Will you two PLEASE try to act with a little dignity and purpose in front of the mortals? We have a reputation..." Strife cocked an eyebrow at him. "Oh, all right!"

Zeus held a hand over the head of each god and intoned, "Mark well this day, ye bards and historians, for it is unlikely that such an event will come again. Today Greece has seen the arrival of a new god, and the elevation of an existing one." His voice dropped into normal tones. "You can quit pestering me to end wars, and maybe my wife will get a brief respite from your petitions about domestic arguments. And I'll be expecting you to lay some more work on this stripling," one finger flicked at Strife's spiky hair, but he only grinned, "but do NOT try to sic him on any of us. We get enough of him as it is. Okay, I think that about covers it. Joxer... er, Eirini--remain for awhile. I'm sure you'll be receiving a rash of dedications, offerings, and such like--it always happens with a new god. Everyone feel free to festival." He disappeared in a flash, and roll of thunder.

Once Zeus was gone, Hera stood up and said, "Well, while my husband may have something," she lowered her voice, "or someONE," then went back to a normal tone, "to do, the rest of us shall remain, in honor of the new god." She sighed. "Will someone PLEASE get my husband's offspring up out of the middle of the floor? He's blocking traffic, and even more of a hazard than usual." She glanced at Hestia. "Dear, would you...?"

"My pleasure." Hestia lifted her hands. Suddenly long tables of food and drink appeared at the front and back of the temple. Hestia gestured at the tables nearest the altar and said clearly, "These are off limits to you mortals, but please do make hogs of yourself at the other tables." She beamed as there was a near stampede toward the groaning tables. The chance to sample food prepared by the Goddess of the Hearth (and thus Goddess of Domestic Life) was not to be missed.

Some people might have been offended by how quickly attention was turned away from them on their special day, but Joxer was much too pre-occupied. He'd started to... Well, the term 'stalk' is appropriate, Ares. The God of War was trying to evade him while not LOOKING as if he were evading, much to the amusement of Cupid and Aphrodite.

Joxer had more or less cornered Ares against one of the buffet tables, and was running one fingertip along the open Vee of his leather vest. Ares, beginning to feel desperate, hissed, "Joxer! Not in front of the mortals." Joxer stuck out his lower lip, pouting, and Ares felt a sudden tingle of interest, but forced it down. "Look, we have eternity. Go do your duty for a little while." When Joxer hesitated, sighing, Ares urged, "Go on. I'll have a surprise for you later."

Joxer brightened. He loved surprises, and he'd seldom experienced a surprise prepared specially for him by someone he loved. "Okay, but just for a couple of hours. Then..." he leered.

As his husband stepped away to greet his first official worshipper (a very rare creature--an elderly soldier), Ares let out a breath of relief. *I'm not sure exactly what these hormones are, but if I could figure out a way to inflict them on people, I could just let opposing sides fuck each other to death.*

He figured there was still a little while before Hephastus would be finished with his work, so Ares looked around for something to occupy himself without getting within arm's reach of his horny mate. He considered going over and speaking to Strife, letting him know that, as far as Ares was concerned, the new status didn't mean jack shit when it came to the Mischief God's duties to the House of War. He wasn't going to be shuffling off anything he deemed menial or tedious. But to his utter shock, Eris was talking to Strife. TALKING to him--not screaming, beating, or otherwise inflicting physical or psychic damage. She wasn't smiling (you REALLY wanted to be careful around her when she smiled), but she didn't look much more pissed off than usual.

He considered going to talk to Cupid, but his son was lounging comfortably on a sofa with Bliss on his lap, feeding the little boy something that was apparently too sloppy to allow unsupervised consumption. The funny thing was, every time Bliss had a mouthful and was busy chewing, Cupid's eyes would drift over to Eris and Strife. Many people thought of Cupid as a simple, open person. Idiots. Love was one of the most complex emotions in existence, and if Cupid wished, he could put up a front so blank that it would be the envy of a Stoic.

Finally Ares noticed that Iolaus and Xena had helped Hercules up into a chair. His half-brother was still looking numb. He was saying to his companions. "I had the weirdest dream. Joxer was a god."

Xena patted his shoulder. "No dream, friend."

Hercules tried to sound hopeful. "But the last part was, right? I mean, Dad would never have the bad judgment to promote Strife to..." As he was speaking, Strife walked over to the fourteenth throne and walked around it, head cocked. There was a flash of red light, and the throne was suddenly not quite so massive, carved of dark wood instead of marble, with black and scarlet cushions and draperies. A carving about the size of a large man's hand graced the back--an elegant ebony spider, with a bright red hourglass enameled on its belly. Strife grinned in satisfaction and threw himself into the seat, slouching comfortably with one leg thrown over an arm. "Oh, man."

Gabrielle said, "Well, now that I'm over the initial shock, I think it's... um... Okay. I guess. Well, we know who the new god is. Maybe we can weasel out the info of what poor wench got suckered into agreeing to marry Ares."

"I'm more interested in who's going to be the mother of his child," said Xena. "After all, if she's going to be popping out my niece or nephew, I'd like to get to know her."

Hercules said, "But wouldn't that be the same...?" He trailed off as the others stared at him. "Right. Not necessarily... uh... right."

*Couldn't have had a better opportunity if I'd scripted it myself,* thought Ares. He gave Aphrodite a significant look, nodding toward the heroes. She giggled, flashed a plate of food into her hands, and sauntered over to the little group. "Hercules, did you faint?"

Hercules blushed. "I did NOT."

"Oh, good. Fainting is never a good sign." She started eating. "I mean, it's not all that unusual in some instances, but you'd HARDLY qualify." She giggled. "I remember when I was expecting Cupid... Well, never mind." *munchmunch* "You know, this noodle thingy from the Chin is pretty good, but it needs something. I know!" *Flash* *munch* "Mmm. The smoked, herbed goat cheese ALMOST does the trick, but it needs a TEENY bit more of a zing. I know!" *Flash* Yellow lumps appeared in the tangled, gummy pile on her plate, and she dug in with relish. "Ooh, yes." She rolled her eyes happily. "You know, pineapple is SHAMEFULLY ignored in main dish cooking."

She wandered away while Iolaus, Xena, Gabrielle, and Hercules began to exchange significant looks. "Well, of COURSE," said Gabrielle. "I mean, there's Cupid, after all. It makes perfect sense that he'd..."

One of the Muses came over. "Gabrielle, just wanted to say nice going on that last poem." She was nibbling from a fragrant bowl of what looked like sauerkraut. As they watched, she dunked a small honey cake in the swimming juice and nibbled it. Sighing, she said dreamily. "I want you to consider writing an ode to motherhood. I know it isn't your usual style, but..." Another sigh. "It... it's just so... so..." One hand lightly, unconsciously, touched her belly. "So, you know?" She frowned absently at her bowl, then materialized a handful of shelled sunflower seeds and sprinkled them in as she walked away.

After a moment's silence, Xena said, "I don't know. Wouldn't Apollo be pitching a major hissy fit?"

Iolaus was glancing around. "I don't know. I'd say so, but right now I see at least three other Muses who are acting, um, peculiar. Two of them are sharing what looks like a plate of raw oysters..."

"That's not so unusual," broke in Hercules.

"It is when they're garnished with candied cherries and hot peppers. And the third on is knitting what appears to be either a large handkerchief, or a very small toga."

Artemis and Athena passed close by. Athena was griping. "Goddess of Wisdom, my ass! I can't believe I got in this position. I hate this! I'm upchucking all the time, and it seems like I don't dare get more than three feet from a chamber pot. I'm tiddling more than Cerberus did before Ar got him housebroken, and it's supposed to get WORSE?"

"You think YOU have it bad?" grumbled Artemis. "I've been ordered to lay off the chase till further notice." She snorted. "And my ankles are so swollen I can't fit into my boots anyway."

After they'd passed, Xena shook her head. "No, it HAS to be something else. I mean--they're both virgins, right?"

Iolaus shrugged, smiling faintly. "Contrary to popular belief, that's VERY difficult to definitively prove."

In the next few minutes they listened to a dewy eyed Demeter talking about how she'd always wanted to give Persephone a baby brother or sister, while Hestia mused about the possibility of inventing a diaper that was cheap, efficient, and could just be thrown away after one use. Hecate complained that her boobs were tender, and asked a blushing, stammering Hercules if the nipples had darkened enough to be visible through the gauze of her tunic.

"This... this is IMPOSSIBLE," muttered Gabrielle. "They can't ALL be... I mean, I might believe it of Apollo... Maybe there was a particularly spectacular orgy a couple of months ago that we didn't hear about?"

They hadn't seen Ares whispering to a grinning Ace. The healing god sidled over to the little group and whispered, "Look, the rest of the more fragile beings are keeping on the other side of the temple, so I thought I might just warn you..."

There was a loud *SPANG*. Eris had just flung an almost empty serving tray against a pillar. "DAMN IT TO TARTARUS! WHO ATE THE LAST OF THOSE ATOMIC FIREBALL THINGS STRIFE BROUGHT FROM THE FUTURE?"

"Ma, ease up," Strife soothed. "Look." He materialized a small golden sponge cake and offered it to her. "It's called a Twinkie. Try it."

"BUT I WANT..."

*zap* "I laced tha cream fillin with poblanos."

"Oh. Well, then..."

Gabrielle turned a little green, but said stoutly, "It's his SISTER! And... and LOTS of people occasionally have strange food cravings, and it doesn't mean..."

"Oh!" The sound froze the four heroes. It came from Eris, and could only be called a 'coo'. "Calliope, is that a baby unicorn on that shirt you're making? Oh, that is so SWEET! Give him great, big eyes, and don't forget the ribbons in his tail, and... and..." *bawl* "I shouldn't have eaten that Twinkie! I'm so damn fat! I'm a WHALE!" *sniff* "But it sure did taste good. Strife, could you get me some of that marinated baby squid? Oh, and don't forget the caramel sauce."

"I'm scared," said Gabby in a tiny voice.

Xena said, "This is decidedly weird. Maybe we should ask someone in authority. C'mon." They made their way up the steps, and paused before Hera's throne. "Your highness, something is bothering us, we were wondering..." She trailed off, eyes going wide.

Hera looked up from her bowl of strawberries and whipped cream. "Yes, Xena?" A pause. She stirred pickled herring into the mix. "I'm a little angry at Eris for hogging all the caramel sauce, but I suppose she had her reasons, and this will do just as well. You had something to ask me? And someone DO pick Hercules up off the floor again. I can't abide litter."

*****

A rather tired, but very happy Joxer, flashed into the House of War later that evening, on the arm of Ace. "Thanks, Ace, but I think I could have done this myself."

Ace smiled, patting his arm. "Maybe so. You're still a little buzzed, what with that energy surge from Strife, and the flow that you're beginning to get, now that you've been officially acknowledged. But you know how you've been reacting to transporting, and we don't want to take a chance. Appearing at your ascension was one thing--you were just in the back room, but earth to Olympus is something entirely different. Will you be all right now?"

Joxer looked around, eyes gleaming. "I will be as soon as I find Ares." He chuckled, and his friends would have been surprised by the lascivious tone. "He's been avoiding me all day. I know it's only because he's feeling a little tired, but I hope he knows that I'm just gonna wear him out even worse now."

Ace smiled. "I'd better go, then. It's not easy to embarrass a healer, but it CAN be done. Get to bed soon--you need your rest." Joxer wiggled his eyebrows, and Ace laughed. "All right, but HORIZONTAL, okay?" *FLASH*

Once Ace was gone, Joxer lifted his voice, "Ar-eeees? Come on, lover. Baby needs a snuggle."

*FLASH* Ares appeared. "Zeus. If anyone had ever told me I'd answer to a summons like that, much less from one of my former WARRIORS..." Joxer pounced, and Ares found himself WEARING his mate. "Oof! Joxer, try and calm down for a minute."

Joxer was kissing his neck. "Don't wanna. Do you have any idea how horny a sudden burst of power like that makes you? Wait, of course you do..."

"Yes, but it can be worked off different ways. There's the fight, flight, or fuck options. Dite... well, you KNOW what her reaction would be. Artemis races one of her stags, and a lot of the time I'm already in the middle of something important, so a good bloodbath takes care of most of the energy..."

Joxer nibbled his earlobe. "Quit stalling and get nekkid." He wiggled, grinning. "I'm already oiled. I have been since before I started greeting worshippers. I had planned on dragging you into an alcove or under a table, but you disappeared."

"Just as well. I usually avoid public sex unless it's at an official orgy. Babe..." Ares, carrying Joxer without really NEEDING to support him, went to the bed. "Sit down."

Joxer, arms and legs still locked, sort of lunged back, dragging Ares down. The surprised War God managed to twist, so that he landed on the bottom. He gripped Joxer's arms and pushed him up, saying firmly, "JOXER!" Joxer, who had been wiggling, paused, wide-eyed. That was an 'I mean business' tone. Ares sighed. "Calm---down." He cupped Joxer's cheek. "Jox, I almost FELL on you--and you're PREGNANT."

Joxer winced, and buried his face against Ares chest--but this time it was to seek comfort. "Tartarus, Ares, I'm sorry! I... I'd never do anything to hurt you OR the baby. I just..."

"Sh." Ares stroked his hair. "I know. It's the hormones, love. They're making you a little crazier than usual."

Joxer peeked up at him. "Ace did say this would slow down, right? I mean, of course I'm enjoying it, but if it's going to put a strain between us..."

"I think I have something that will take care of that. Remember that I told you I had a present for you?" He sat up, pulling Joxer into a sitting position, also.

Joxer frowned slightly. "Okay, I know you're not going to offer me the temporary use of a trained pleasure slave..." Ares growled, and Joxer laughed. "I SAID I know you're not--and I wouldn't want one. I'd rather melt into a little puddle of frustration."

"You don't have to do that, and we don't need anyone else." Ares held out his hands, palm up. There was a small flash, and a carved wooden box appeared. He offered it. "For you."

Joxer took the box and turned it in his hands, examining it curiously. "It's pretty. What is it--some sort of a passion draining potion?" He sounded a little sad. The sheer physical pleasure aside, he was enjoying the constant intimacy with his husband-to-be.

"Open it and find out." As Joxer lifted the lid, Ares discreetly checked to be sure that his lover wasn't close enough to the edge of the bed to be in danger of falling if he was too startled.

Joxer blinked. And blinked. And blinked some more. He lifted huge eyes to Ares. "Is... is that what it LOOKS like?"

Ares couldn't help smiling. "What does it look like?"

Joxer gazed at the glimmering object that lay on a bed of black velvet, displayed like the finest jewel. "It looks like a metal cock."

"It's called a dildo."

Joxer cocked his head. "I've heard Meg's girls talk about those." He blushed slightly. "Oh, I'll be honest. I, uh, saw one or two in use. But they were just sort of, um, tubes of, like, carved wood." He winced. "They were varnished or enameled, and I STILL kept thinking about splinters."

"You won't have to worry about that with this," Ares promised. "There isn't a rough or sharp surface anywhere."

Joxer leaned down, peering closely, then said, "Ares! This is GOLD!" Ares nodded. "But... but wouldn't bronze have been more, um, practical?"

"For my man?" Ares put his fingers under Joxer's chin, tipping it up to get him to look at him. He kissed the God of Peace softly. "Nothing but the best for you, Joxer." Then, as if uneasy about sounding 'sweet', he let himself smirk and said, "In the real thing, AND in substitutions."

"It's beautiful." He looked even more closely, then gasped. "Ar, this is YOU!" Ares chuckled. "No, it IS! I'd recognize that cock anywhere, any time--in a dark room." He gave a sudden cheerful leer. "In fact, I HAVE done, and look forward to doing it again. But HOW?" His eyebrows suddenly lowered, and his tone became ominous--a very disconcerting thing with the gentle man. "Exactly HOW did the 'artisan' manage such an accurate copy?"

Ares looked at him blankly for a moment, then barked with laughter. "You're JEALOUS! And I thought I was the only one in this relationship who had that problem." He hugged Joxer, who remained a little stiff, though the frown did soften. "Baby, you have nothing to worry about. That was made by Hephastus. I have NO interest in him. Ask Dite--she tries to talk me into a threesome every now and then. He used clay to make a mold. I just thought about you to get 'in the mood'." Now Joxer was beginning to smile again, face flushed. "I went alone for a few minutes and thought about you, remembering our first time together," his voice was husky, "touching myself. Then when I had 'maximum effort, Heph gave me the pot of glop and I sort of suited up." He bent over and quickly nipped Joxer's earlobe. "Let me tell you, that wasn't where I wanted to stick it right then, but anything if it will help you. Then I had to stand there while the stuff hardened, and I softened and s hrank enough to pull out without damaging the mold." Now Ares regarded the golden dildo with satisfaction. "I think it was worth the sacrifice. Look at this..."

Ares reached into the box and lifted out the phallus. He gripped the shaft tightly, and Joxer's flush deepened. It was an incredibly erotic sight. Then Ares gripped the metallic testicles and twisted hard, popping them off. Joxer fell back on the bed, squeaking and grabbing at his own crotch with protective instinct. "Oh, damn, I'm SORRY!" Ares looked contrite, but was trying not to laugh.

"WARN me next time!" huffed Joxer, sitting up.

Ares shrugged sheepishly (and there were a lot of people who would have gone into shock at seeing THAT). "I just wanted to show you one of the special features." He up-ended the phallus, then materialized a beaker of faintly steaming water. Joxer saw now that the dildo was hollow. Ares carefully filled the thing, then flashed away the beaker, and screwed the base back on. He held it out toward Joxer. "Feel."

Tentatively, Joxer laid his hand against the smooth metallic side. After a moment he felt the cool surface warming under his touch. "Ooh..." he whispered.

Ares nodded. "It's spelled so that it won't ever be more than body-temperature." Ares lifted the golden cock and gently stroked Joxer's cheek with the shiny tip, whispering, "So my lover will be comfortable." He offered the dildo to Joxer.

Joxer looked at it, his gaze hungry, but still uncertain. "Are you sure, Ar?"

Ares put an arm around him, hugging him. "Joxer--I love you, and I want you to have everything you want and need. I'm doing my damndest, but lover... I just can't keep up with you right now, and don't you DARE let that slip to Strife! It'll end up written on every bathing house wall from here to Chin, no matter WHAT the consequences he knows he'd reap." He smiled, resting his forehead against Joxer's. "I like toys. We'd have gotten around to them eventually, but I didn't think it would be this early."

"You want me to do this?"

"It's a suggestion, Jox--not an order. Your body has gone a little insane right now. According to Ace it's going to calm down soon, but till then I don't think there's anything wrong with helping nature along. Do you want to try it?" Joxer nodded shyly, reaching out to run one finger from the base to the tip, slowly circling around the glans. Ares took a deep breath. "I'm glad. It means that all those pubic hairs that got torn out were not sacrificed in vain."

Joxer stood and began to strip. He paused with his hands on the laces of his breeches, and said in a small voice, "Would... would you sort of... I mean, this first time..."

Ares stood and took him in his arms, hushing him with a kiss. "Yes. It isn't meant as a substitute, love--just a helper." Joxer sighed in relief.

In a short time they were both naked. Joxer lay back, comfortably propped on pillows, and watched as Ares materialized a small pot of oil. "I told you that I was already prepared."

"I know you did." Ares dipped up oil and spread a film over the dildo, making the gold glisten even more in the candlelight. "And don't think I didn't start getting hard when you told me that, but you know I'm not going to risk you hurting yourself."

"Okay." Joxer was propped up on his elbows, watching Ares' big hand gliding over the phallus. Joxer was already half-erect, and he reached down to stroke his awakening flesh. Ares smiled, gently pushed Joxer's hand aside, and spread more oil over his lover's erection. "You're so thoughtful."

"Yeah. Well, don't let it slip, and ruin my reputation." Ares squeezed Joxer gently. "Can you get your legs up and open without too much discomfort?"

"I did this morning, didn't I?" Joxer slid down a little more, raising and spreading his legs, hooking them back slightly with his arms.

Ares sighed. "The sexiest target in existence. Relax." Joxer closed his eyes as slick fingers stroked down the crease of his ass, then circled around his asshole. One fingertip pushed against the crinkle, and Ares whispered, "Yes, you did a good job, didn't you?" Joxer bit his lip as one thick finger slowly breeched his entrance and began to slide in and out. "Babe, I'm not so tired that I don't want to fuck you. I AM going to fuck you later, if you still want it, but this first time you need to use this, so we can be sure it's going to do the trick."

Joxer moaned softly as a second finger joined the first and began to slowly stretch him. "'If I still want it'. One of your sillier statements, Ar. There will never come a time when I DON'T want to have sex with you."

"Yeah? Keep saying that," said Ares wryly. "Along about the eighth month with Aphrodite, she threatened lock up Cerberus for a week, then chain me down with Hephastian metal, smear raw liver on my balls, and turn him loose." Joxer slitted his eyes open. "And once Cupid was born she swore that she was going to be the first born-again virgin in history." Joxer smiled. "Right--it's temporary." He continued to prepare Joxer for another few moments, then said, "Ready now?"

Joxer nodded, but when Ares went to hand him the dildo, he pushed his hand away. "You do it. Please? Just to start."

Ares saw that, though Joxer's eyes burned with passion, there was still a small uncertainty. He needed reassurance. "Of course." Ares pulled his fingers out. Joxer gasped with pleased surprise as his lover bent and pressed a kiss to the slick opening, tongue flicking out to thrust shallowly into the slightly loosened orifice. Ares pressed the rounded head to Joxer's anus and whispered, "If there's the SLIGHTEST hint of pain, you tell me IMMEDIATELY."

Again Joxer nodded. "Please, Ares."

Ares kissed Joxer, tongue moving softly in the younger man's mouth, and slowly slid the dildo in. He stopped after only three inches, and held it there, muttering against Joxer's panting mouth. "Okay, babe?"

"Ares," Joxer hissed. "Teasing is supposed to be STRIFE'S area of expertise!"

Ares snorted, but it was amused. "Ever heard the term 'bossy bottom'?" He pulled back, and stilled Joxer's protesting whine by pushing it back in, deeper this time. He continued to pump gently, thrusting in a little more with each stroke, till the dildo was fully sheathed, only the rounded golden balls still outside Joxer's body, cradled in Ares' hand. Then he stopped and just studied his lover.

Joxer's face was flushed. He caught Ares' eyes, then smiled and purred quietly, ass wiggling. Ares' gaze sharpened with hunger, but he quickly reached down to encircle his own hardening cock, squeezing ruthlessly. This was for Joxer--his time would come. His voice rough, Ares took hold of Joxer's hand and moved it down, wrapping the long, fingers around the base. "Do it, Joxer. Right now I can't think of anything sexier than seeing you pleasure yourself. Let me see it." Joxer gripped the dildo and pulled back slowly. His expression was intent, as he concentrated on the sensation. Then he pushed in, just as slowly, and sighed voluptuously. "Feels good?"

"Um." Joxer braced his feet flat on the bed, to keep himself open and comfortable. With his free hand he reached out and captured Ares' hand, bringing it up and kissing his palm before bringing it down to where his cock lay against his belly, hard and weeping. "Oo, yes. But not as good as you, Ar. Never as good as you, NOTHING as good as you. Help me?"

Ares began to masturbate Joxer, his motions almost tender as the other man worked the golden phallus in and out of his body. Unable to resist, Ares began to stroke himself with his other hand, needing to join his lover in this, knowing that Joxer needed it, too. Joxer's motions became stronger, and faster. Soon he was pumping strongly, head pushed back deep into the pillows, face sweaty. But he didn't close his eyes. They never left his lover's face, drinking in Ares' own passionate, tender expression.

Soon Joxer's body arched, and he came, his sperm coating Ares' still moving hand. Joxer quickly released the toy, grabbed Ares by the shoulder, and bodily hauled the surprised War God higher in the bed. The dildo still cradled in his flesh, Joxer shifted, and Ares' hard prick into his mouth, and swiftly down his throat, sucking strongly. Ares gritted his teeth, throwing his head back and burying his hands in Joxer's hair as his hips jerked. He came with a gush, and Joxer eagerly drank his essence, never missing a drop.

Finally he let Ares go with a small lick, and they settled down in each other's arms. After a moment, Joxer shifted a little, murmuring, "I think the water is cooling off."

"Really?" said Ares lazily. "I would have thought you'd boiled it away, hot stuff." Joxer snickered, rubbing his face on Ares' chest. "Shouldn't you take that out?"

"Um, not just yet," Joxer sighed.

"Okay, you can keep it for another few minutes." Ares kissed him, a kiss that held a promise. "But it's going to have to come out soon. There isn't room in there for both it AND me."



Part Nineteen: Plans

That evening, in bed, Joxer began, "Now, then--why didn't you tell Hercules, Xena, Gabrielle, and Iolaus about this immortality/godhood thing?" Ares eyed Joxer, then closed his eyes and snored. Joxer poked him. "Not gonna work, Ares."

Ares sighed, opening his eyes, then smiled slyly. "Hungry, Joxer?" Joxer frowned. Ares knew that Joxer was ALWAYS hungry--especially now that he was pregnant. He started to say something, and Ares materialized a plate. "Deviled quail's eggs?" Joxer's mouth closed, and he looked tempted. A shimmer passed over the dish. "With shaved truffles."

Joxer took the plate and started stuffing eggs into his mouth. He paused to shake a finger at his lover. "Are you SURE you aren't Strife's father? I could see where he'd get his deviousness."

Ares shrugged, laying back smugly to watch his lover eat. "Not to the best of my knowledge. I'm sorry to disappoint you, love, but really--they got on my nerves. There I was, popping in to give them some of the best news in existence, and they were..." he grimaced, "their usual selves."

Joxer sighed. "Well, at least you told them about the wedding." He was too busy licking a smear of tangy yellow off his thumb to notice Ares' eyes shifting. "Are you going to be bringing them up for the ceremony?"

Ares snorted. "You honestly think my mother and Aphrodite are going to let me go anywhere between now and the time we say 'I do'? Mom wouldn't admit it, but Father has made her wary of ANY man being able to commit. She wouldn't want to think I'd get cold feet, but the idea is going to be there, lurking. I'm not stepping foot off Olympus. With all the crap Zeus has put her through, I figure she deserves a little peace of mind. And besides, 'Dite is going to be trying to groom both of us to within an inch of our lives. Just put your foot down with her, Joxer--no pink."

"I suppose you're right." Joxer gave Ares one of those smiles, the sort that he still had a hard time believing were directed at HIM. "That's one thing you and Hercules have in common--you're good to your mothers."

Ares groaned and pulled a pillow over his face.

*****

"What the fuck do you MEAN, he's sleeping over at your place tonight?"

Aphrodite regarded Ares calmly. "How many different interpretations can you put on that sentence? I have a guest room--he's using it."

"Dite, this is his home. He has a bedroom here--OUR bedroom. He has a bed here--OUR bed. I want him IN OUR bed--that's why we're getting married."

"And because you're getting married, he has to spend the night at my place. Betrothed couples are not supposed to see each other for, like, a day before they're married."

"Who the fuck made up that ignoramus rule?"

"I think it was Hera. I think it was something like giving them 24 hours to clear their heads and be sure this was what they really wanted."

"Well, it's STUPID!"

"I didn't say it wasn't--I just said it was a rule."

"You can't tell me that all the mortals do this," Ares said stubbornly. Dite started to open her mouth, "And don't give me that 'we're gods, so we have to be held to a higher standard' garbage. As far as I'm concerned, he's already my husband, and he's pregnant, and I DON'T WANT to sleep away from him."

There was a genuine note of pain under the irritation in Ares' voice, and Aphrodite softened. "Hey," she said softly, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Ares, calm down. It's one night. He'll be less than a mile away, and he'll be with people who care about him, and will look after him." She smiled. "Bliss is so excited at the idea of Joxer sleeping over. He's already picking out scrolls for Joxer to read to him."

Ares smiled reluctantly. It was obvious that Bliss had hit the jackpot in the grandparent department with Joxer. "Joxer asked you to ask me, didn't he?"

Aphrodite nodded. "I told him first, and he said he could see where family tradition was important, but he just couldn't bring himself to ask you."

"Go home, Dite. I'll walk him over in a little while, okay?"

"Sure." She kissed him on the cheek. "If it's any consolation, when I had to stay away from Heph before our wedding, I destroyed an entire set of bone china. It helped. If it gets too bad, just look for something breakable." She flashed away.

Ares looked for Joxer first in the garden, then in the bathing chamber. Finally he noticed that the door to the small room at the end of the main hall was standing open, and he went there. The room itself was a little bare, sparsely furnished and decorated. War had never entertained much, and he hadn't seen the need.

Joxer was sitting on the bed. His back was to the door, and Ares paused, watching him for a moment. Joxer gestured at the wall before him, and it was suddenly covered in a mural of the sky--bright blue, with puffy white clouds. Ares had to choke back a laugh when he saw that one of the clouds resembled a winged horse, and the other looked a lot like a ship under sail. Joxer gestured again, and a peaceful looking valley appeared beneath the sky, green, dappled by small ponds and stands of trees. Joxer's hand wavered, as if indecisive, pointing at first one section of the wall, then another. Finally he snapped his fingers, and a tiny cottage appeared on the hillside. Then he cocked his head, and just studied the effect. Finally he slowly made a sweeping motion with his arm. The blue sky transformed, becoming awash in pinks and purples, the underside of the clouds gilded gold. A tiny sun could be seen just peeping over the mountain, lengthening the shadows of the hut a nd trees below. "It's beautiful, Joxer."

Joxer didn't jump, as he might have a few months before. He just turned his head and smiled at Ares. "I figure we'll be keeping the baby with us in our room for at least a few months, but then I thought 'it's never to early to begin decorating a nursery'."

Ares came in and sat beside him, putting an arm around him. "Hera may not know it yet, but she's going to love you." Ares nodded at the wall. "Is this some place you know?"

"Sure," Joxer said agreeably. "Um, I've never actually BEEN there. Uh, and I'm not positive it exists on earth, but I'd like to think it does. This is the place I used to go to when things got really, really bad."

"I thought you said you'd never been there."

"I mean I went there," he tapped his head, "in here." He laid a hand on his chest, "And in here. This was my real home."

"Ah." Ares nodded. "To get away from everyone."

"Oh, no, that's not it at all. Just to get away from the hurt. I would never want to leave the world completely behind--there's too much good, too many good people in it. Look at the cottage, Ares. It's faint, but see, there? The path?" Ares squinted. Sure enough there was a path that began at the cottage's door and wound it's way down the hill, into the valley, and passed into a stand of trees. "You can't see it, but there's a village just beyond those trees. Even in my safe place, I had to have a way to get back to the world." He smiled. "There were still people there who needed me."

"You're talking about this in past tense, Joxer."

"Mm. I haven't gone there for a long time." He put his arms around Ares and looked into his face, eyes soft. "Y'see, I haven't needed it. I traveled all the time; I didn't belong anywhere, but there. That was my home. But now THIS is my home. I'll never lose that place, because I love it--it was there when I needed it, but I have a REAL home now, with someone who loves me. That's sort of why I can go spend the night at Aphrodite's. I know you're here, thinking about me, and I'll be coming back."

Ares looked into his loving, trusting face, and sighed heavily.

That evening, Hercules, Iolaus, Xena, and Gabrielle were sharing a pitcher of ale at an inn, discussing the new development in the Pantheon. Well, Xena, Gabrielle, and Iolaus were discussing it. Hercules was still so stunned that he hadn't said much of anything since the ceremony, except, "Joxer?"

"Well," said Gabrielle, "I am just totally flabbergasted. I mean, if they needed a God of Peace... And they did. There were so MANY choices open to them."

This was old ground, and Xena was getting tired of it. "Oh? Like who?"

"Um, well... How about Demeter? The solid, nurturing earth!"

"How the hell peaceful is an earthquake or mudslide?" demanded Iolaus.

"Okay. Um... Gaia! The serenity of Nature! Deep, still glades, quietly flowing streams..."

"Blizzards, tornados, hurricanes..." muttered Xena.

"Um... er... Morpheus, or maybe Hypnos?"

"Nightmares," chorused Iolaus and Xena.

Hercules's voice was a little snide, "Hey, how about Thanatos? Can't get much more peaceful than Death, right?"

Iolaus slapped him on the back. "Finally! I was beginning to worry that you'd never..."

There was a shower of red sparks, and Ares appeared before them. He said curtly, "I'll make this brief. The wedding is tomorrow, mid-morning. Someone will come for you. Gifts optional, but my intended would be thrilled by anything you lot decided to give. By the way--it's Joxer, and he's pregnant with my baby." He flashed out.

There was complete and utter silence from the quartet for a moment. Gabrielle toppled over again in a dead faint. Xena made sure she hadn't cracked her head on the nearby hearth, and dragged her farther away from it, so her hair wouldn't catch fire. She considered dumping a cup of ale on the bard's face to bring her around, but decided she needed a drink a lot more than Gabrielle needed another shock.

Iolaus took a sip of ale and said, "Tell me, Joxer's official vestments are white, but if he's knocked up, is he still entitled to wear white at his wedding?"

Xena snorted. "I'll pay you if you'll ask Ares that question."

"Not a chance." Iolaus looked over at Hercules. "Herk, want to go in halves on a present?"

Hercules stared at him. "Joxer?"

Iolaus sighed. "Crap. Here we go again."

*****

"What?"

"You heard me, Dad."

"Cupid, it's generally considered to be an honor to be asked to act as best man."

"I know that. I AM honored--I just think that there's someone who'd be more appropriate."

"But STRIFE?"

Cupid looked up from the arrowhead he was sharpening, frowning at his father. "Dad, don't YELP like that. I nicked my thumb." He sucked a drop of blood off his fingertip, then notices his father's wary expressing, and laughed. "No, don't worry. No sudden change in father-son activities on the way. This isn't spelled yet. Gimme a little credit, huh? Who trained me about weapon upkeep?"

Ares relaxed a little. "Why do you want me to have Strife as my best man instead of you?"

"It'd just be more appropriate, Dad. Bliss, baby, don't touch," he said sharply, when he saw his son reaching for a handful of darts that were laid out on the table.

Bliss tucked his hands behind his back. "Sowwy."

"Strife is visiting with Joxer and Mom." Cupid grinned wickedly. "Go ask Joxer to sing his song for you again."

Bliss clapped his hands, flapping his wings at the same time. "I CAN? YAY!" He darted out of the room.

At Ares' look, Cupid shrugged. "You know how little kids love repitition, and how it can get on an adult's nerves? Bliss is so obsessed with Joxer's song that it's started to drive Mom nuts. I figure this will help calm Joxer's jitters, and the mischief will give Strife a nice little energy boost. He said that endlessly repeated songs were gonna be a classic. The he started singing some crap about 'I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...' I threatened him with an obsession with Falafel to get him to stop."

Ares grunted. "Occasionally he can be subtle." Cupid frowned at that, and seemed about to comment, but Ares continued. "What do you mean it would be more appropriate?"

Cupid blew out a breath. He hadn't really been sure what he was about to say to his father, so he postponed it for the time being. "It just IS. Dad, Strife is your second in command, he's family, and he's a new god. It would be the right gesture to honor him with this position."

Ares gave a grudging nod. "I suppose you're right." He stood up and clapped his son on the shoulder. "I guess I'll go tell him."

Cupid arched an eyebrow. "Ask him, dontcha mean?" Ares looked blank, then shrugged, and left the room. Cupid sighed and went back to his work, muttering, "I gotta have a talk with that man."

As Ares came into the salon, he caught the tail end of the song, Bliss' gleeful treble blending with Joxer's deeper voice. "...he's Joxer, Joxer the Miiiiighty!" Then Bliss crowed, "One more time!"

"NO!" It was a near shriek from Aphrodite, then she laughed nervously. "Um, sweetie, you don't want to tire Joxer out, what with his wedding tomorrow and all?"

"Oh, I don't mind," said Joxer cheerfully. "Whatever makes Bliss happy, and..." Strife was giggling, and Joxer caught Aphrodite's 'look'. "Ya know, I AM a little pooped. Some other time, kiddo."

Aphrodite got up. "C'mon, Blissy, and I'll put you to bed."

"Kay." Bliss started passing out hugs and smacking, wet, baby kisses. "Nighty-nite, Gran'pa Res. Nighty-nite, Gran'pa Joxie." Joxer returned the hug, almost glowing with pleasure. "Nighy-nite, cuz Stwife." Strife gave the little boy a big hug, then stood up, flipping him upside down in his arms. He carried him like that over to Aphrodite, and offered the giggling boy. She put her hands on her hips, arching an eyebrow, and Strife chuckled, setting Bliss on his feet. Before he went with Dite, Bliss gave Strife's legs another fast hug, and Ares was surprised to see a fleeting expression of tenderness on his nephew's face. Then Strife gave Bliss a little push, saying, "Ew! Kid spit on my leathahs!" This earned him another giggle from Bliss as the child followed Dite out of the room.

Strife looked at Ares, sitting next to Joxer on a small sofa, and said, "Well, I s'pose you two wanna swap some spit, since ya ain't gonna be able ta for at least another ten, twelve hours. I'll just go, an'..."

"Hold on a minute, Strife." Ares paused. "I want you to be my best man tomorrow."

Strife's jaw dropped. "M-me?"

"Clean your ears. You."

"B-but I thought that Cupe..."

"So did I, but he seems to think that you deserve it."

"Oh." There was a hint of disappointment in Strife's voice as he realized that he wasn't first choice, but then his tone lifted a little. "Cupe said that, huh?"

"Yes, and I suppose he has a point."

"Sure, Unc. I'd be honored."

"Of course you will. Ow!" Ares stared a Joxer, who, arm behind Ares' back, had just pinched the War God's ass--and not in a sexy manner. Ares stared at Joxer in puzzlement, noting the small frown on his beloved's face. "I mean... thank you, Strife."

Strife, for once in his life too befuddled to miss the by-play, nodded. "Sure, Unc. Ya welcome. I... uh..." He grinned maniacally. "I s'pose whippin up a bachelah party is out of the question?" Joxer put his head down on Ares' shoulder, laughing. "Ah, c'mon. A few kegs of Dionysius' best, Etruscan dancahs, a bard ta tell dirty fables, some easily breakable furniture... It'd be fun!"

"You can plan Cupid's next bachelor party," said Ares shortly.

The amusement suddenly died out of Strife's expression. "Yah, there's a thought. I gotta go do best man stuff. See ya bright an' early tomarrah, Unc." The fountain of sparks that marked his passage sprayed up to the ceiling.

Ares blinked. "What crawled up his ass?"

Joxer sighed. "I love you, but you're majorly clueless some times." He refused to elaborate, just telling Ares that someone was going to have to have a talk with him soon.


Part Twenty: Joining

Ares opened his eyes. His first thought was, *I'll be damned--I actually slept.* His second was, *I'm pretty sure I could sneak over and visit Joxer
without anyone being the wiser.*

*Flash*

Strife appeared, lying on his side next to Ares, head propped in his hand. "No, ya couldn't."

"Strife, what the fuck...?"

"Dite knows how yer mind works, Unc, an' she laid responsibility fah keepin ya away from Joxer square on my narrow shouldahs."

"Shit." Ares sat up and rubbed his hair angrily, then got up and started pacing.

Strife stayed comfortable, watching his progress. After a moment he said, "It's just 'bout eight hours since ya last saw him. Do ya really miss him that much?" Strife had been expecting to be ignored, or perhaps have to field a few cutting remarks concerning the God of War being involved enough to actually be affected by someone's absence--except in how it related to the efficiency of his work. But Ares just gave him a dark look, then grunted in an assenting tone. "Is it..." His voice trailed off.

"What?"

"Ya really wanna marry him, dontcha?"

"Of course I do, nitwit. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't."

"It's just kinda hard ta understand." Ares gave him a 'go on' look. "Well, if needin someone that much is gonna make ya this, um, uncomfortable... I mean, there's gonna be times ya can't be tagetha. Now, wipe that thundacloud outta yer eyes, Unc--ya know it's true. There are times ya don't get back up here fah days on end, an' it's a good thing ya can't starve ta death, cause ya don't even really have time ta eat. An' God of Peace looks like it's gonna be a busy gig, if only fah tha reason that he's sorta yer opposite numbah, so there's gonna be times when HE won't be around..."

"Thank you so much for reminding me of that."

"Yer welcome. Ya didn't hafta marry him. Hera mighta squawked some, but I think Zeus woulda supported ya, hopin ta use that position in future
negotiations. An' Joxer--Joxer would do whatevah ya wanted--anyone can see that. So--why?"

Ares stared at him. He hadn't often been asked to explain himself in his life, and when he had, it had usually been a simple matter of pointing out strategies, advantages, and disadvantages. People just didn't ask him about his emotions--his FEELINGS. At last he said, "Because the times together are worth the times apart."

Strife frowned, then said slowly, "Ya know, strange as it seems, I think I can undahstand that."

"What am I supposed to do till the ceremony?"

"Well, first off, we gotta get ya dressed an' slicked up--get that outta tha way."

Ares waved his hand, and he was dressed. "Next?"

Strife was shaking his head. "Oh, no, no, no, no, no. Ya don't get off that easy."

"What do you mean?"

Strife pointed. "Unc, yer in yer standard issue formal attire. As much as ya think of Joxer, isn't he worth somethin a little bettah?"

"What do you suggest."

"Lemme summon my consultants." He snapped his fingers. Jett and Jayce appeared in the room.

Jayce was in a short, silky scarlet robe, and his face was slathered with something that was pale green and smelled of cucumbers. Jett was, perhaps, more interesting, since he wasn't wearing anything but a yawn. Jett finished the yawn, rubbing a hand through his hair and said, "You mind? I feel a draft."

Strife giggled. "Nice view." Jett gave him a wolfish grin in return.

Jayce pulled his robe tighter. "Hyou might warn a person, your Naughtiness. Eef hyou are providing valet service, Hi hwould like to request something in scarlet and gold, hand please use cold water to wash off my masque--it tightens the pores."

In a flash both of the brothers were scrubbed, dressed, and groomed. Jett regarded his all black, mostly leather ensemble, then nodded. "Cool. Is it
time already? Do I have time for coffee? I get irritable if I don't have my coffee, and that really isn't a good idea." A steaming mug appeared in his hands. "Thanks." He sipped.

"Don't mention it," said Strife. "Tha bloodshed should be kept fah tha reception. If we have it at tha ceremony, it'll take attention away from tha
happy couple. All right, Jayce," Strife pointed at Ares, "Magic time."

Jayce squealed and clapped his hands, while Ares' eye widened. "Oh, no fucking WAY!"

"Him or 'Dite, Unc. At least Jayce knows tha difference between dramatic an' flamboyant. Ya go with 'Dite, I can almost promise ya crushed velvet. Jayce, baby, concentrate on what ya want, an' I'll make it so."

"Oh!" Jayce pressed a hand to his chest. "Thees will almos' be like having unlimited power! Let's see..." He closed his eyes and looked intent.

Strife squinted, snapped his fingers, then burst out laughing. Ares looked down at himself, then closed his eyes in near pain. "I'll snatch Joxer's ass, and we'll elope first."

Strife had to lean on Jett for support. Jett didn't laugh, but then, you have to really be able to control yourself when you're an assassin. He commented, "You look like Apollo in that gold lame get-up."

Jayce waved his hands. "Lighten up, your Snarliness. That was yust a test run. Ready, Strife?"

Strife twiddled his fingers. "I was born ready." Jayce concentrated, Strife snapped his fingers. Jett still didn't laugh, but it was a good thing he was
tough, because he DID snort coffee. "I'll have ya know," said Strife, "that striped pants are actually gonna be tha thing at classy weddins in tha future."

"I can believe that, but pink and red?"

Jayce smacked his shoulder. "That's salmon and scarlet, you heathen. But yudging from the expression on Ares' face, perhaps you're right. Next option."

Cupid was walking over to his mother's temple, leading Bliss. The little boy was grumbling loudly about the periwinkle colored shift he'd been given to wear. "Son, Grandma picked it out for you, so you know darn good and well you're stuck with it."

A burst of rather colorful language, oddly mixed with opinions about various fashion touches, was heard floating from Ares' temple. It was accompanied by a mad giggle that couldn't belong to anyone but Strife. *Great,* thought Cupid. *Trust him to be driving Dad crazy on his wedding day.* Bliss looked up, then used several of the more choice expressions. Cupid picked him up, ordering, "Hands over ears!" Bliss obeyed, and Cupid hurried on. But as he went, he heard deeper, hearty laughter join Strife's. He felt a wash of surprise, because he recognized that laughter. He didn't hear it often, but his father had a wonderful laugh. Had Strife somehow coaxed that laughter from Ares, when Cupid knew that his father had to be tense, tightly strung? He went on his way, thinking that there was more to Strife than most people realized.

In Ares' temple, Jayce was saying, "Hokay, so royal purple is out, because Zeus might throw a hissy." He snorted. "And they say women are bad if two show up at a party dressed alike. Hwell, as much as they say that black at a wedding is a no-no--"

"That's gonna go, too," Strife assured him. "Well, not fah brides--unless they're rock stars?"

Jayce blinked. "Famous statues will get married?"

"It's a future thang--ya wouldn't understand."

"As I was saying, I theenk that's the route we'll have to go, so..." He closed his eyes. Strife snapped. Jayce looked. "Oh, HYES!"

Ares looked down at himself. He was in black, but it was silk so fine that it almost shimmered, and there were onyx-and-pearl studs, along with a matching brooch. He blinked. "I like it." He sounded surprised.

"Hove course you do," he said complacently. "The pearls will keep you from looking like Hades, not that he isn't one fine hunk of Underworld ruler."

"Not bad," agreed Jett. "I'll have to remember that if I need something to blend in at court functions for the upscale jobs."

"Great, can I go get Joxer now?" said Ares.

"Unc, don't make me call tha reinforcements ta sit on ya."

Ares cocked an eyebrow. "Strife, I'm almost to the point where a combination of Cerberus and the Titans wouldn't slow me down."

Strife grinned. "Yer goin in tha wrong direction. Give me grief, an' you'll find yerself facin down Demeter, Hestia, Persephone, an' Hera, an' ya KNOW how pissed a woman can get if she thinks a weddin is in danger of bein disrupted."

Ares scowled. "You don't fight fair, Strife." His lips quirked in an almost smile. "You've learned well."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Joxie, honey, I've never seen a rut worn in marble before, but I think you may be on the way."

"I'm sorry, Dite." Joxer sat down on a love seat--for about three seconds. Then he was up and pacing again. He paused in front of the full-length mirror, examining himself. "Do I look...?"

"Honey," said Aphrodite, "you're almost six months pregnant. It's going to show a little unless you wear a tent."

He sighed. "Well, I'm not too worried about that, since everyone already knows I'm expecting. But do I look FAT?"

She hugged him. "No, dear. You're not GOING to look fat, unless things change radically. You're going to look like you've stuffed a pillow under your tunic, and that's going to be it. From behind, I doubt you'll look pregnant at all."

"I guess that's good, considering my sexual preference."

Joxer realized what he'd just said. His eyes bugged, and red swept up his cheeks, but Dite just laughed. "I love you, Joxer! You and Ares are already one of my favorite couples, and I think it's just going to get better." She hugged him again, whispering, "You make him happy, Joxer. Thank you for that. I DO love him, but Hephastus has my heart--I can't help that. I've so wished that Ares would find someone who'd see what I see in him." Eyes bright, she touched his cheek. "And maybe you two will serve as a good example to certain other people."

"You mean Cupid and Strife?"

She stepped back quickly, looking almost stunned, then giggled. "Oh, why am I acting surprised. You've been spending a lot of time with Strife, haven't you?" He nodded. "I'm having to fight myself not to step into that."

"Resist, please. It's there already." He frowned. "It's just that they both seem to be trying so hard to ignore it."

"It isn't easy for either one of them. Strife..." she sighed. "He hasn't had much by way of acceptance in his life, and I'm afraid I haven't done as much as I could. And after what Cupid went through with Psyche..." her voice trailed off, and now the glint in her eyes wasn't from any gentle emotion. "By the way, she's going to have one of the most spectacularly disastrous love lives in history. His heart is so raw. It's going to take a real leap of faith for him to give his heart to someone else, but oh, Joxer--he needs to. It's his nature to love and be love, and he's just marking time now. He'll never be..." she wrung her hands, searching for words. "He just won't be what he's meant to be without the right person, and I think that Strife is the one. I just have the feeling." She giggled. "It's my job--as a goddess, and as a mom."

Cupid led Bliss into the room. "Mom, don't be alarmed if Bliss's vocabulary is a little spicier the next few days. I don't know what they were up to at Dad's temple, but he was swearing fit to singe Cerberus." Cupid smiled at Joxer. "Hey, Jox--don't look alarmed. That was just for a minute. Then he was laughing like he was going to bust." Cupid shook his head. "I could hear Strife having one of his patented giggle fits, too. I'm glad I got Dad to make him best man. I'm sure I couldn't have gotten him into such a good mood." Joxer and Aphrodite were smiling at each other. "What?" asked Cupid.

"You'll know soon enough," said Dite serenely. "Bliss, baby, come give Grandma a hug!" Bliss trotted over and hugged her. "Hi, G'anma. I hates my clos'."

"Oh, nice greeting."

Cupid shrugged. "You can't blame him, Mom. It's only a half step from lavender, and Jayce aside, most men don't really go for pastels."

Joxer said, "Couldn't you deepen the color a little bit to a nice purple?"

"Zeus might not like that. It's pretty much supposed to be reserved for royalty--namely him."

"Surely he wouldn't object to one of his littlest great-grandchildren wearing it?"

Dite giggled. "Well, we'll find out. This is going to be a happy occasion, and if Joy himself isn't happy..."

She waved her hand, and the shift became a deep, rich purple. Bliss examined it, then squealed happily. "Grapes!" He trotted over and hugged Joxer
fiercely. "I wuv you, Joxie. Youse gonna be my favorite nuncle."

"Not uncle, son," corrected Cupid. "Um... grandfather, I think."

"He just be my Joxie," said Bliss firmly. "Wanna talk to the baby."

Joxer sat down, and the little boy climbed up on the sofa with him, and laid his head in the man's lap, pressing his ear to the swell of belly. Joxer stroked his curls, while Cupid and Aphrodite came closer, smiling indulgently. Bliss was whispering. "Hey, baby. You daddies is gettin mawwied t'day. We gonna have a BIG party! What?" Bliss looked up at Joxer. "The baby says you got to eat lots at the party 'cause he's hungry."

"Is he?" Joxer looked at Cupid and Dite. "IS he?"

They understood that he was asking if Bliss actually COULD communicate with the baby. Cupid shrugged. "Your guess is as good as ours. This is something new."

Bliss looked up at Joxer. "The baby wants honey cakes an' ice cream. They gonna have ice cream, right? If they don't, they gotta get them for the baby."

Cupid covered laughter with a cough, and Aphrodite said, "I think that's a pretty fair indication. I'm sure we can have ice cream for the baby, hon. And I'm also pretty sure that the baby will want you to eat some, to keep him company."

Bliss nodded solemnly. "That's a good idea. Daddy, you think Stwife will eat wif me an' the baby?"

"Junk food?" said Cupid, amused. "He'll be there. You stay here with Grandma, son. I have to go pick up a few guests."

He flashed out, and Joxer said, "I hope nobody faints this time."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I have to tell you, Herk, you've been no help at all," grumbled Iolaus. "I mean, choosing a gift should involve more than just forking over a few dinars. You could have at least come along to offer opinions. I mean--he's your brother--you know him better than I do."

"But Iolaus--Joxer?"

Iolaus sighed. "Oh, shut up."

"What did you settle on?" asked Xena.

"Well, what can you get for someone who can make everything for themselves? I talked to the priests at the temple, and they said that Joxer is really into gardening now..."

Xena looked thoughtful. "You know, I remember once we'd camped near a thick patch of wildflowers. I noticed him pulling grass and weeds, and he said that he was thinning it out, so they'd have enough space and light, otherwise they'd choke themselves out. I thought he was... just being Joxer." She scratched her chin. "I'm beginning to think I just dismissed a lot of things that might have been pretty significant."

"Anyway," Iolaus continued. "There's a merchant who deals in exotic plants, and I managed to get some rare seeds and bulbs from Chin--only the Emperor is supposed to have them."

"Those must be expensive," said Gabrielle. "How did you afford to pay for them? I know you haven't been exactly flush lately."

Iolaus grinned. "There are other ways of paying for things."

Hercules seemed more alert. "Iolaus, you didn't... with a merchant?"

Iolaus smiled slyly. "He has a wife. Don't sulk. I put your name on it, too. Xena, how about you?"

"Well, Joxer likes to cook, and I'm pretty sure he won't give it up entirely for creating food, and I figure that since their both gods, Joxer won't be able to kill him with his cooking. I got him a nice roasting rack--great for fish."

"How about Ares?" asked Hercules.

She shrugged. "I think Dad will eat whatever Joxer cooks, even if it comes close to choking him. But I'm throwing in deluxe hand-tied flies, so he can catch the fish himself. I think he'll like the idea of providing food for Joxer."

"Makes sense," said Iolaus. He paused. "Gabby?"

She examined her nails, and sighed. "I'll give them the gift of my talent. I'll write their story."

"Oh, how original!" said Iolaus brightly. "And I'm sure it's going to be FAR superior to the other thousand or so that will be written by every other bard and historian in Greece."

There was a flash, and Cupid appeared. "Hi, everybody." He looked at them carefully. "Um, you guys DID know that the wedding is today, right?"

"Sure," said Hercules.

"I was just thinking that maybe... Why don't I just help you all freshen up before we go?" Before anyone could say anything, there was another flash, and all four of the heroes were dressed in new, clean, fashionable, and expensive clothes.

Hercules, as usual, was irritated. "We don't need..."

"Shut up, Herk." Iolaus was happily examining his new, cream-colored outfit. "I look good in this shade."

"Gabrielle, surely you won't put up with this?"

Gabrielle was admiring her new sky blue silk gown. "I'm a woman, Hercules. It takes a lot to get me outraged enough to refuse a good ensemble."

Xena fingered her dark blue skirt, then shrugged. "I can put up with it for a few hours."

"Quit griping, Herk," Iolaus advised. "Save them. Next time you visit your brother's court you won't stick out like a sore thumb."

"Good," said Cupid briskly. "We'll just go straight to the audience chamber Joxer has requested that you four have places in the front, along with his
brothers."

"I know his mother is dead, but what about his father?" asked Gabrielle.

"Ares will kill him if he ever sees him," said Cupid bluntly. "That is, if Strife doesn't do it first."

"But his own blood," protested Gabrielle.

*FLASH*

Strife appeared. "There's blood, then there's BLOOD, toots," said Strife. "Just the fact that the asshole managed ta squirt his seed somewhere it took root doesn't make 'im a dad. Ask me--I know a little bit 'bout how much a person owes fah neglected paternal duties." He glanced at the others. "Ya ready? They're gatherin, an' it won't be long before they get tha ball rollin. If they hafta wait much longah, either Joxie or Ares are gonna explode."

"Ready," said Cupid. "You take two, and I'll take two."

"Fine." Strife quickly wrapped his arms around Xena and Iolaus. He grinned. "See ya topside, cuz."

*FLASH* Strife and his two companions were gone.

Cupid looked at Hercules and Gabrielle glumly. "Gee, thanks, Strife."

"Hey!" said Gabrielle indignantly.

"The only other time I took you anywhere, I lost a handful of feathers," he said bluntly. "Don't do that again." He wrapped an arm around Gabrielle, then lifted his other arm for Hercules. Hercules glowered, and Cupid sighed. "Uncle Hercules, COME ON! You don't want to get Granddad pissed, do you?" Hercules reluctantly allowed himself to be snugged up against Cupid's side. "Thank you. Zeus has been in such a good mood since he learned about the baby, I'd hate to irritate him." He smiled slyly. "You know, every time there's a new baby, Zeus gets a new favorite--for awhile. He scarcely has time for anything else--or anyone." He almost chuckled at the disconcerted look on Hercules' face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The main gathering chamber on Olympus was filled with murmuring gods and goddesses--and a few mortals. Joxer, already popular, had cemented the adoration of his priests and priestesses by inviting them to the ceremony. Since Joxer had done it, Ares had done the same for his own, and it certainly didn't hurt his image in their eyes.

Cupid appeared near the front of the crowd and released his two passengers. They went to stand with Jett, Jayce, Xena, and Iolaus. Gabrielle started talking to Jayce about the possibility of him starring in a play she was thinking of writing (as the brother of a god, his participation would guaranty a rousing success). Jayce said frostily, "Hi know hit ees nearly eempossible to resist, Gabby--but TRY. Thees ees my brother's wedding day--hardly the time to discuss this."

"But Jayce," she wheedled, "it'll be... uh... Joxer's story! Who better to play him?" Jayce looked thoughtful. "I'll write it, produce it, and direct
it--design the scenery and the costumes..."

"EXCUSE me?"

"You can design the costumes, but other than that, all you'd have to do is emote as only you can."

Jett poked Jayce. "Why don't I just cut your balls off now and tuck them in her pocket? It'll be the same results, just quicker and less painful."

"Will you people PLEASE show a little dignity?" hissed Iolaus. "I swear, I can't take you anywhere."

There were two flashes--one gold and one silver, and Zeus and Hera appeared at the front of the room. The crowd quieted immediately. Zeus intoned. "Welcome, divinities and honored mortals. We have gathered together today for a rare and joyous occasion." Hera cleared her throat. "Which I will now turn over to my beloved wife--Hera, among other things, Goddess of Marriage."

He stepped back, and Hera stepped forward. She surveyed the crowd. "As my husband said, this is a joyous occasion, but one which is solemn as well. We have gathered to witness the joining of two souls in the most intimate and sacred of bonds. There are many types of joining. There is the casual joining of companionship, a simple sharing of mild caring. There is the intense bonding of passion, that by nature is ephemeral. There is the deeper, warmer joining of true friendship, which can be so strong that it deepens into love. There is the abiding love that grows so strong that the two involved can scarcely imagine living without each other. And then there is the rare, wonderful bonding that can only be described as the meeting and melding of two souls." She smiled gently, eyes moving over the crowd. "It isn't a myth, children, but it is rare--very rare. We are privileged to witness the formalization of one such bond today. I call Ares, God of War, and his second--S trife, God of Mischief."

A door in the wall to the right opened, and Ares and Strife came forth. They walked to stand before Hera, bowing their heads in respect. "Strife, has Ares come to this ceremony of his own free will, without reservations?"

There was the sound of indrawn breath as almost everyone in the crowd waited for Strife to do something crazy. The Mischief God said quietly, "My Lord Ares stands before you willingly, with no reservations, and no shadow on this grave decision. I do so attest." He stepped aside.

Hera turned her eyes to Ares. "Ares--I know what is in your heart. You have confessed it freely, but I ask you now to speak it once again, so that it may be known by all."

Ares straightened his shoulders, and spoke firmly. "I have loved in my life. That love produced children, who I would die for. But though that love was sweet, I did not find the other part of myself. I have now." He smiled slightly. "And I have found it in a most unusual person. It has taken me by surprise. Though my godhood would make me a master tactician, I never saw this coming, but I wouldn't have evaded it if I could. He is my heart, my soul, my life, and my love."

"Call him, my son."

Ares faced the crowd, and raised his voice. "I call Eirini, God of Peace." His smile softened. "Joxer, the Mighty. Come take your rightful place at my side, my love."

He waved his hand, and the crowd parted. The large double doors at the back of the room opened. There was a chorus of coos as Bliss came down the aisle. He had a silver basket in his arms, and as he walked he scattered handfuls of white rose petals before him. Next came Aphrodite (in pink, of course)--and Joxer. He was wearing an ensemble that resembled his formal dress, but in pure white, and he was crowned with a wreath of laurel leaves and baby's breath. Their arms were linked, and they walked down the aisle at a slow, stately pace.

Joxer's four friends watched as they approached, and though the details of their thoughts differed, they all had one thing in common. All of them thought that they had expected for Joxer to be so nervous he'd be near collapse. Instead, Joxer was smiling slightly, his eyes fixed on Ares, and his expression showing nothing but joy, and serenity. At the front, Dite kissed Joxer on the cheek, then did the same for Ares, and went to stand with Cupid, Strife, and Bliss.

Hera looked at Joxer. "Joxer, God of Peace. Why are you here?"

Joxer's voice was calm and clear. "I come to claim the promise made to me by Ares, God of War. He has already given me more joy and love than I ever hoped to have, and I ask no more than that. But he has done me the honor of offering to take me as his mate, before all the world. He has promised to cherish and protect, and provide for both myself, and the child we have created together. I have humbly accepted, and will do all in my power to ensure that he never regrets his decision."

"Have you proof of this promise?"

Joxer silently opened his shirt, exposing Ares' mark. "I bear his sign, but..." he laid a hand over his heart. "The deeper mark is here--invisible to the eye, but more real than the other. I have worn this mark upon my heart for much longer than I have bourn the other mark on my flesh."

Hera nodded. "It is more than sufficient." She held out her hand, and two rings appeared in her palm. "Ares..."

"My lady, may I speak?"

Hera looked at Ares in surprise. It wasn't proper to interrupt her while she was performing a ceremony, but then--this was an unusual circumstance. She inclined her head. "If you feel it is important."

"I do." Ares faced Joxer. "Joxer, before we were pledged, I gave you my sign. I marked you as one of my own. But your aren't ONE of my own, Joxer. You are not one of many. I feel the need to make this clear." Ares opened his shirt, baring his chest. He looked into Joxer's eyes. "Please, if you want me, give me your mark."

A gasp went up through the crowd. The assembly knew that a god only did this with mortals. Joxer had received his mark when he was mortal, as a sign of protection, and it was more or less seen as a mark of possession. It was unheard of for a god to accept another god's mark, and for ARES to actually seek it... There could be no doubt of his sincerity now.

Joxer was smiling at him tenderly, his eyes moist. "With all my heart." He reached out and laid his hand on Ares' chest. He closed his eyes, and flexed his new power. If he had been experienced at this, it might not have been a visible effort. As it was, a pale glow surrounded him, shining more brightly around his hand. The only sign Ares made of discomfort was a slight tightening of his jaw. But when Joxer dropped his hand, there was a pale symbol visible against Ares' tanned skin. It was very simple, but elegant--two shallow arcs, joined--a stylized bird.

Ares took Joxer's hand and kissed his palm. "Thank you."

They both turned again to Hera. A golden cord appeared in one hand and a silver dagger in the other. "Show me your left hands, children." They each held out their hand. She made a shallow cut in each man's palm. Strife stepped forward, and she handed the dagger to him. "You will save this dagger, as a reminder that you must stay together, supporting each other through pain as well as joy. Clasp hands." They clasped their left hands, entwining their fingers. Their blood mingled, dripping down their forearms. Hera took the golden cord and bound them tightly together, lashing them together down to the elbow. "My children, you have already formed a bond of blood, mingling the deepest parts of yourself in the child you have created together." She smiled. "For once, this part of the ceremony is more symbolic than actual, but traditions must be observed. Ares, Joxer--observe each other, and once again commit yourselves in your hearts." She stepped back, raising her hands. "All here, bear witness to this joining. Be still, as these two join for all eternity."

The room was silent. All eyes were on the pair at the front, but Ares and Joxer were aware only of each other. A full minute passed. Hera again stepped forward and quickly unbound the wrist, handing the cord to Strife. "This cord symbolizes all that binds you together--keep it in memory of this. Hold out your hands." They did. She passed her hand over theirs. The flow of blood stopped as the wounds sealed. She materialized a basin of water, and gently sponged the mingled blood from their skin. "All things that kept you apart are washed away." The basin of pinkish water disappeared. "Face you peers." They turned to face the others, still holding hands. "Gods and goddesses, mortals and demi-gods, and all creatures under the heavens--I present to you Ares, God of War, and Eirini, God of Peace--honorable spouses for now, and all eternity. May the Fates deal kindly with this union. It is done."

There was an immediate uproar of cheers. Ares leaned over and kissed Joxer. Joxer gently stroked Ares' cheek, tweaking his beard, then buried his face against his new husband's neck as the good wishes rose even louder. Bliss was dancing and hopping in gleeful excitement. After one particularly vigorous hop, he failed to return to the ground. Strife caught his food before he could get out of reach, hauling the little boy down into his arms.

Xena was busy clapping and whistling, but she heard something incongruous. Someone was crying. She looked around, and Jayce was boo-hooing lustily into a gauzy handkerchief. "Jayce," said Xena. "What gives? I thought you were happy for Joxer."

He swatted her with the soggy handkerchief. "Hi am, you seely thing. But our mama couldn't attend..." he sobbed, "and SOMEBODY has to cry at a wedding."


Seeking Balance 21: Receptions

The great gathering hall had been decorated for the occasion. Aphrodite, after being threatened with gagging and binding with Hephastean steel by her normally indulgent husband, agreed to go easy on the pink. She settled for only a bare third of the massed flowers, but she managed to get them in a variety of shades that left Eos dizzy. The rest of the decorations were in white, silver, and (in a nod to the House of War), scarlet.

Protocol was broken. While the wedding party traditionally stood to greet their guests, Joxer was seated in a comfortable chair, with his feet up. Asclepius hadn't needed to say anything--Ares' stern look had kept even the most hide-bound of the guests from raising an eyebrow or making the quietest murmur. People offering congratulations had to make a detour around Joxer's footstool before they could go on to shake hands with Strife (and there were more than a few who wished they dared pass up that part of the ritual--the Mischief God was loving the buzz of mischief potential in the air, as evidenced by his cheerful leer).

Hestia had outdone herself with the buffet. Royal cooks had been offering themselves on her altar ever since the wedding had been announced, in hopes of getting a chance to check out some of the divine recipes. Not having her powers they could never replicate anything, but if they could APPROXIMATE a single divine dish, they'd assure their own reputations, and the comfort of themselves and their descendants for a couple of generations.

Demeter and Gaia had provided the most luscious fruits and vegetables ever to exist. Artemis had provided the plumpest, most flavorful game; Poseidon had contributed the bounty of the sea in the form of succulent oysters (and yes, there was a lot of elbowing and snickering over whether or not the bridegrooms were going to sample these) and shrimp.

He also provided a magnificent pike, which Hestia had stuffed and cooked whole. Joxer had admired it with a weak smile, praised and thanked the glowing goddess, then quietly stepped into a side chamber and thrown up. Ares was concerned, since they'd thought that Joxer's nausea had finally abated. Joxer assured him that it was just that he wasn't up to food that looked back at him. Ares had a word with Strife, who giggled, then disappeared. A moment later there was a commotion in the main room. They exited to find people wondering how one of Artemis' hounds had managed to sneak in and make off with the head of the centerpiece pike.

It was fairly decorous for an Olympic celebration. There was no open nudity till it was three-fourths over. There was only one fight, and that was more of a good-natured sparring match than anything else--no real heat to it, no weapons involved. Actually, since it was between Zephir and Eos, it was pretty amusing. Eos kicked his butt. That annoyed Demeter, since she figured he'd be piqued, and send more dry, warm winds, promoting droughts. Aeolas promised her that he'd get a second butt whipping if he tried it.

Gabrielle had been intending to stick to fruit juice, so she could gather information for future poems, but somehow she was slipped cherry brandy. She ended up doing a strip tease on one of the tables. Strife was seen using a scrying mirror to catch the performance, muttering happily about blackmail potential. Xena was booed when she tossed her friend over her shoulder and carried her away to sleep it off--before she managed to get her top off. Most of the Gods had been ready to cover their eyes, lest the Gorgon effect strike, but there were a few who still hadn't become acquainted with the bard, and they felt a bit deprived. However, since Xena kept her free hand on her chakram, none of them felt much like protesting.

The Muses and the Graces collaborated on a narrative dance in honor of the happy couple. Ares and Joxer sat together on a small love seat and watched it unfold. Joxer watched, round eyed as they began to act out the fateful adventure with the hydra. He whispered to Ares, "So THAT'S why they wanted to borrow my old armor. Wow, Terpsichore is really graceful, to be able to dance in that stuff."

"I'm just kind of glad that Xena is gone. I don't think she'd care for how they're portraying her bard." He chuckled. "And do you see the horrified look on Hercules' face? I was surprised that the Muse portraying him was wearing long sleeves, but now I realized they had to do that so they could have the padding to represent his muscles."

The three Graces portrayed the hydra--each operating one of the heads. Jayce had helped them make the costume, and the three heads were quite ferocious. Each one was animated, so that the Graces could make the eyes open and close, and the jaws snap. As the dancers 'killed' each head, the Grace's let the heads flop limply. The dance featured the most feminine portrayal of Ares that was ever likely to exist, but even the fake beard couldn't make the Muse portraying him look macho. She did a very believable tumble from a small balcony, landing right before the hydra.

The Muse portraying Joxer charged the fake beast, just as the head was lunging toward the stunned pseudo-Ares. Somehow the actual sword thrust seemed much more controlled than it had been the first time around. There were gasps, and genuine cries of distress as 'Joxer' was injured, stage blood flowing copiously, and there were cheers when the sword speared up through the hydra's skull.

The Muses did a very credible job of portraying Ares' impatience with the 'heros' as he prepared to take the now limp 'Joxer' to help. It was perhaps better that Gabrielle was already passed out somewhere, as she didn't come off too favorably. There was laughter as the Muse portraying Apollo paused in 'his' ministrations to preen, and was roundly cursed by 'Ares'. The scene ended with 'Ares' hovering over the unconscious 'Joxer', a thoughtful look on 'his' face as 'his' hand settled gently on 'Joxer's' brow. The applause at the finish was long and sincere. Jayce was once again boo-hooing, and Jett was giving his youngest brother an interested look. He'd always loved Joxer, in his own way, but now there was a tiny hint of respect in his gaze.

Ares stood, bowing to the assembled players, and said, "That was more accurate than it had any right to be, and beautifully performed." His hand settled on Joxer's shoulder. "You showed some of the facets of what made me choose Joxer as my mate," he smiled almost reluctantly, "and you didn't make me look as bad as you could have." He bowed. "We thank you." He pulled Joxer to his feet, wrapping his arm around the other man's waist, "Now it's time for us to take our leave, but please continue to celebrate." He glanced down at a blushing Joxer. "We're going to."

*FLASH*

Joxer looked around. Ares had been close-mouthed about where they were going to honeymoon, and curiosity had been eating him up. Being a God, it could be anywhere. He'd heard that some gods favored the Elysian Fields, but he found the idea of celebrating the beginning of a new life together in the Underworld just a little... wrong. But with his new divine senses, he could tell that they were still on Earth.

They were standing at the top of a hill, a small, warm breeze ruffling their hair. Joxer looked around. There was a green valley before them, dotted with silver-blue ponds and the darker green of trees. It was a beautiful, peaceful place. "It's beautiful, Ares. Where are we?"

Instead of speaking, Ares turned him around. There was a small cottage on the hilltop behind them. It looked snug and comfortable, with a well filled woodpile beside the door, and a fine well nearby. There was a riot of colorful wildflowers growing along the sides, and Joxer could hear the coo of doves nesting in the eaves. It was an appealing picture, and there was something naggingly familiar about it.

Now Ares shook his shoulder gently, and pointed down. Joxer looked, and noticed that they were standing on a patch of bare, packed earth. Ares slowly swept his arm out, and Joxer followed the gesture. The patch they were standing on was part of a path. It meandered down the hill, into the valley, and disappeared into a stand of trees. Farther back, Joxer could see wisps of smoke rising--the sign of a village.

Suddenly he gasped, and his eyes flew to Ares' face. "It... it's MY place!" Ares nodded. "But how... I made it up--didn't I?"

"Not entirely, Joxer. Somehow you knew that this place existed. You just seemed so sure of it that I had to believe, too, and I spent every moment I could spare looking for it. I can't tell you how I felt when I found it." He smiled. "I had to move the cottage farther up, and I'll admit that I refurbished it a bit, but nothing else."

They were quiet for a moment, as Joxer gazed around in wonder. Ares indicated the sky, which was deepening into dusk. The western sky was ablaze with orange and red, with dark purple above. "It's sunset instead of sunrise."

Joxer embraced him, leaning up to kiss Ares softly. "That's perfect. Sunset doesn't have to be an ending. It can be a beginning, too."

They entered the cottage, and it was as perfect on the inside as the outside. The furniture was the type usually found in simple homes--plain and sturdy. The walls were clean, whitewashed to give the room some brightness. There was a fireplace, with a hearty fire blazing on the hearth. "I couldn't tell from your painting," said Ares, "but I gave us a separate room for sleeping."

"It's perfect." Joxer put his arms around Ares and kissed him deeply. "It couldn't be any less, because you made it for me--because you love me. It's the best gift I've ever had."

Ares' embrace tightened as the kiss deepened. There was nothing urgent about it. They had a long life together stretching before them, and the formal bond gave them a peace that many could never experience. Tongues met, caressing as well as their hands caressed. After a long moment, Ares moved his head back a little, and Joxer didn't try to press the kiss, because he knew that it wasn't a rejection--merely a pause. Ares leaned his forehead against Joxer's and whispered, "I want to give you another gift, if you'll accept it."

"You don't really need to ask."

"But I will. Joxer, will you make love to me?"

Joxer's smile was radiant. As he slipped his hand over the swell of his belly, he said, "I have evidence here that I will."

Ares shook his head. "That's not what I meant."

"Well, sure. Any way you... want..." He trailed off, looking into Ares' serious eyes. "You... you mean... you want me to... to..."

Ares nodded. "If you want to."

"I... are you sure?"

"Joxer, I want this marriage to be a true partnership. Sure, we'd never be able to convince people that it wasn't an 'I'm in charge' situation, but I want... I NEED for you to know that I don't want to OWN you, like chattel. There is no WIFE in this marriage. Besides..." Ares lowered his voice. "If you ever tell anyone, as much as I love you, I'll sic Strife on you. But I'm curious, and I want to--if you want me that way."

Joxer leaned back a little, giving him a fond, wry smile. "I may be a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but I'm not stupid, or crazy." Joxer grinned, and glanced toward the fireplace. A large pile of sumptuous furs and pillows appeared before it. Joxer glanced up at Ares and said, "Unless you'd prefer the bed?"

In reply, Ares began to strip off his wedding finery, carelessly letting the clothes fall where they might. Joxer followed suit, but Ares finished before he did, pushed his hands down to his side, and finished the job. When they were both naked they embraced again, hands seeking and stroking. After a few moments Ares sank slowly to his kness, his lips never leaving Joxer's skin, moving down his torso. He paused to press his face against the shallow mound of his husband's growing belly, winding his arms around Joxer's waist. Joxer rested his hands in Ares' hair, long fingers combing through the dark strands. "I love you so much," Ares whispered against his skin. "Both of you." Then he moved lower.

Joxer inhaled deeply as he felt the touch of Ares' tongue. He closed his eyes and sank into the sensations--heat and moistness, soft sounds, the musky scent of arousal. Soon he was hard, completely engorged with desire, and Ares took him into his mouth. He bobbed, sucking firmly, while one large hand held one of Joxer's buttocks, keeping him in place, while the other cupped his lover's testicles, massaging the gently.

Finally Joxer said hoarsely. "Stop now. If you don't, the second part of the wedding night probably won't happen till tomorrow."

Ares leaned back from his task, and Joxer felt a further spark when he saw his lover's eyes. The pupils were so dilated with desire that his eyes looked black, and the heat he saw there only strengthened Joxer's own feelings. Then Joxer saw that Ares, too, was erect, his hardened cock standing out proudly, drizzling clear pre-come. *I didn't even touch him,* Joxer thought, feeling a little awed, and humbled at the same time.

Ares moved over to the furs, settling himself comfortably, then held out his arms toward Joxer. Joxer started toward him, then hesitated. "Joxer? What is it, love?"

"It's just that I don't want to hurt you."

"Do you remember how it was our first time together?" Joxer smiled slowly, and Ares answered the smile.

"Yeah, but you knew what you were doing. BOY, did you know what you were doing. And I'm gonna be a... uh... first time driver."

Ares' eyebrows climbed. "But Meg's girls..."

"Oh, well, yeah--girls."

Ares chuckled. "The principle isn't all that different, you know." He kissed Joxer gently between phrases. "Patience. Gentleness, at least at first. The main difference is that I can't provide the necessary lubrication naturally, but... Come here." Joxer went to stand beside him. Ares held out his hand, and a small vial appeared in his palm. He handed it to Joxer. "That's easily taken care of." He rolled on his belly, hugging a cushion under his chin, and spreading his legs. "Go on, Joxer." He glanced back over his shoulder, his voice dry, and said, "If it helps, you can imagine I'm one of Meg's girls."

Joxer barked with laughter. "Don't make me drop the vial--I might break it. Oops, forgot. God here, can make more. That's really handy, and I'm babbling again."

Ares voice was warm. "If it ever reaches the point where I can't make you babble, Joxer, I will KNOW it's time for a second honeymoon." Joxer knelt behind Ares, between his spread legs, and opened the vial, coating his fingers with sweet smelling oil. He reached down and spent a minute lovingly massaging Ares' ass, then spread his cheeks a little, and wiped a generous amount around the pucker of his back entrance.

Ares was very quiet, staring into the middle distance, concentrating on the feel of Joxer's hands. Joxer rubbed up and down the crease, kneading as he passed over and around his asshole. Ares could feel it as the taut muscles relaxed, and whatever tiny misgivings he might have still had faded as Joxer worked patiently to prepare him. Ares knew that in his deepest self, Joxer was a nurturer, and a caregiver. It wasn't in his nature to be careless of someone else's well-being, or happiness.

When the first finger breached him, there was no discomfort, only a curious stretching sense. It was rather like standing up after sitting for a long time--actually pleasant. The friction caused when Joxer pumped his finger in and out was unfamiliar, but pleasurable. He smiled to himself when Joxer leaned over and kissed his back, hand still moving, and whispered, "Another?"

"Yes. It feels good." He grunted slightly as a second finger was pressed in alongside the first. Joxer hesitated, starting to speak, and Ares said firmly, "It STILL feels good. Go on."

Joxer continued, gradually moving his fingers apart to aid in the loosening. "Ares, you know that thing you do, when you do this?"

"The little spot. Yes?"

"Do you think I could...?"

"I'm sure you could, if you'd try, and I WISH you would."

"Okay, here goes. Look, tell me if it gets uncomfortable."

*Yeah--right.* He felt Joxer's fingers curve, then rotate, feeling. After a few questioning probes, there was a jolt of heat and pleasure, and Ares grunted. "There--right there."

"Here?" Joxer rubbed, and Ares squirmed, moaning. "Oo, yeah! Kinda hard to mistake." He rubbed again, and Ares made a low, growling sound that shot a bolt of pure lust up Joxer's spine.

"Pull out," Ares said shortly.

"Sure." Joxer was a little disappointed, because he'd been enjoying it, and he was pretty sure that Ares had, too.

But then Ares moved up onto his hands and knees, legs braced wide, and said, "Now, Joxer."

"You're sure you're ready?"

"It's like it was with you before--if I get any more ready, we'll be continuing this later."

Joxer used the last of the oil to slick his eager cock, then moved up behind Ares, putting one hand on his husband's hip, and using the other to part his buttocks. He shifted closer, pressing the flushed head of his cock to the glistening, slightly loosened hole, then began to press forward. He moved very slowly, alert to any sign of discomfort from Ares.

Ares bit his lip as he felt the hot thickness push up inside him, spreading apart his never-before-breached walls. It DID hurt a little--a dull ache, but the sense of intimacy and love made that negligible. He began to feel a little breathless as Joxer continued, but at last he felt Joxer's loins press against his backside, and knew that he'd taken it all. *And that's a relief, because he's hung like a bull, and I think if he WAS any bigger, or any less gentle, this might now have been a complete success.*

Joxer leaned down till his chest rested on Ares' back, and reached under and around. Finding Ares' cock, he began stroking him slowly, pleasuring him while Ares adjusted to his new state. When he could feel that once again Ares was fully aroused, Joxer moved his hips slightly, sliding out, then in, by just a couple of inches. Ares groaned softly, and it was impossible to mistake it for anything but approval.

Joxer began to fuck in a slow, even rhythm, gradually increasing the depth of his strokes. When Ares jerked and shuddered, Joxer knew that he'd managed to pass over the special spot, and he was careful to try to angle his thrusts to do it again, and again. He held onto his control with an iron grip, but then Ares began to respond rather than just react.

Joxer found his lover pushing back to meet him, doing it harder and faster. Finally he heard Ares growl, "I'm the God of War, Joxer, and I do nothing half-way! If I'm giving myself to you, then TAKE me!" And he squeezed.

The control evaporated. This WAS different than it had been with any of the women he'd been with. He'd always been careful not to hurt them, and he would try not to cause pain now, but he knew that Ares would not only accept strong lovemaking, he'd revel in it.

He let go. The joining was hot, hard, and intense. The only sounds in the room were the crackle of logs, harsh breathing, and the sound of flesh on flesh. Finally Joxer shuddered, and Ares gave a triumphant cry as he felt the hot gush of his husband's essence fill him. They rolled over onto their sides, and Joxer reached around again, finding Ares' hardness and quickly stroking him to completion.

They lay joined for a moment, breathing slowing to normal. After a moment, Joxer said, "Uh-oh."

Ares turned his head enough to look at him. "What do you mean 'uh-oh'? That was fantastic."

"Will you say that if you end up with a tummy about six months from now?"

"Why should...? Oh." Ares carefully pulled off Joxer's softening flesh, then turned in his arms and held him. "I was going to tell you, but somehow it just got lost in the shuffle. I spoke to Ace before the reception. He... uh... gave me a little something."

Joxer smiled. "No baby?"

Ares stroked Joxer's belly. "Just this one--till later, anyway. And speaking of which, how is the little one? We got pretty vigorous there at the end."

"Oh, he's... *yelp!*"

Ares sat bold upright. "WHAT IS IT?"

"Calm down, calm down. It was just our kid getting me back for jostling him. Just a particularly firm kick, is all."

"You're sure it isn't...?"

"It isn't," Joxer said firmly. "Though I think maybe it might be a good idea to postpone a repeat of this till AFTER he makes his debut. No use in stirring him up more than necesary."

Ares settled back down. "I can live with that, I suppose." They cuddled. After a moment, Ares said, "Um... Joxer? Tell me--when you were a kid, how were you at sharing your toys?"

"Well, there weren't actually many..." He thought of the golden 'toy' back at the Halls of War, and grinned, settling down. "Actually, as long as I'm allowed to play, too, I have no problem with sharing toys."

Part Twenty-two: Seventh Month

"Joxer, you're going to have to stop sucking lemons..."

They were sitting at the breakfast table, and Joxer looked up quickly. "Now look, Ares, you know I can't help it. At least the cravings have stopped being quite so weird. I think I should be allowed my sourness fits."

"I'm not trying to stop you. Didn't I set up that pickle barrel in our chambers? Let me finish what I was saying. You're going to have to stop sucking lemons when you're over at Apollo's place, at least when he's rehearsing his temple musicians. He came ranting to me that none of the woodwind or brass players could play after you sat there and made your way through two lemons. It took him two hours to get them all un-puckered."

"Well, considering some of the services they provide for him besides music, I would have thought that the puckering would be looked upon as a benefit."

Ares gave a startled bark of laugher. "I think your sense of humor is getting a little more snarky, Joxer."

"I now officially cannot see my feet without leaning over, I have to be sure to wear slip-on sandals instead of lace-ups, and I'm nervous if I'm more than a few yards from a chamber pot. It was bound to happen."

They were lying together in bed, taking a precious moment of idling after breakfast. Ares plucked the squeezed-out lemon rind away from him, and tossed it, making it disappear in mid-air. "I have to go." He gave Joxer a mid-range stern look. "You're staying home today, right?"

Joxer sighed. "Ace says stay, I'll stay."

"And no working in the garden."

"Ares! I need to get the tulip bulbs in, and the hedge is getting ragged." Ares was glaring, and Joxer trailed off. "Can I at least do it by will power?"

"If you sit down while you do. Now, is there anything you want me to bring back?" Joxer took a deep breath. "Uh-oh."

"It's not that bad."

"What is it?"

"Well, the last time I visited Falafel, he was trying out this new snack food. It's pigskin..."

"Pigskin? Strife told me they're going to be making funny shaped balls out of that in a millennia or two, and big, sweaty men will be knocking each other down trying to get their hands on them."

"No, not a ball. It's in strips, and he deep-fries them. They puff up, and are all crunchy. A little sprinkle of salt, a little chili sauce..."

"You're drooling. I guess you're serious. All right, I'll see what I can do, but this is one craving I just can't understand."

"You don't have to understand. You just have to cater to me."

Ares rolled his eyes. "For an humble person, you sure do have a bossy streak."

Joxer grinned. "Where'd you hear the rumor that I'm humble? Hey, did you really think that someone ELSE gave me the title of 'the Mighty'?"

There was a flash, and Aschlepius appeared. "Good morning. How's the little father today?"

"You know, Ace," said Joxer tartly, "Some day women will feel the urge to kill their doctors when they hear a similar question after a night of trying to sleep around their stomachs."

Ares looked at Ace, who nodded, "Yes, the mood swings are right on schedule. You remember how Aphrodite got with Cupid--and Psyche with Bliss."

Ares rolled his eyes. "With Aphrodite, it was the first time I ever saw Eris leave a room suddenly for anything but battle, or effect."

Aschlepius held up a small lidded pot. "I brought along some more ambrosia, just in case. It's always good to have a little on hand in these cases, and Joxer, quit making faces."

Joxer was rubbing his swollen stomach. "From all that stuff I've eaten, I'm going to expect this baby to kick Zeus' butt the moment he's born."

Ares got up and went around the table, pausing to give the back of Joxer's neck an affectionate squeeze. "I won't be back till late this afternoon. Take care of yourself, or I'll whip your ass as soon as you recover from having the baby."

*FLASH* He disappeared.

Joxer sighed happily. "It's so nice to know he cares."

Aschlepius put the pot on the table. "As long as I'm here, let's have a quick check over."

Joxer sighed. "Sure." He put his hands on the table and braced himself to stand up, grunting with effort. When he was upright he rested his hand on his stomach and sighed. "I don't know why the human race hasn't just died out, Ace. Right now it's hard to understand why a woman would willingly go through this more than once."

As Ace watched, Joxer's expression suddenly went blank, then was filled with a wondering contentment. He saw the new god's hand gently stroking his belly, and knew that the baby had moved. "That's why, Joxer," he said softly. "Come sit on the bed--it'll be easier for you."

"Since you're here to help me get up again, yeah." Joxer sat on the edge of the bed, and Ace made a quick, but thorough check, asking Joxer about how his breathing had been, any dizziness, any more nausea, waste eliminations... "There is one thing. Well, two."

Joxer stopped speaking after that admission, and Ace looked up to find him blushing slightly. "Out with it. Modesty has no place between a doctor and a patient when it comes to describing something that might be wrong. Especially in this case, Joxer. You're the first male god we've had pregnant like this, and we have to be alert to anything that might signal a problem."

"One of the things is nothing much. I mean, I've had the problem before. It's just flared up now, and I was wondering if there was something that could be done for it." Ace raised his eyebrows questioningly, crooking his fingers in a 'give it to me' gesture. "Um, well... It has to do with... Ace, my bottom has been itching and aching something fierce lately."

"The entire bottom, or just the actual aperture?"

"Aper-what?"

"The hole, Joxer."

"Oh. That. And I have to tell you, I'm pretty irritated with it. I was figuring on a little more whoopie time with Ar before I had to give it up."

Ace nodded, trying not to smile. "That would be hemorrhoids."

Joxer gave him a funny look. "I knew a guy named Hermeroi once, and he was a pain in the ass, but nothing like this."

Aschlepius laughed. "Uh--no. A hemorrhoid is... Well, it's sort of like for some reason part of your inside gets irritated, and swells. It happens quite a bit to pregnant women, people who eat rough diets, and camel drivers on caravans. I think for the last one it's because of all the bumpy riding they do. Anyway, I can bring you a cream for that. A couple of days worth of application will take care of it."

"Couldn't you make it a pill or potion instead?"

"It won't get to the problem like that, Joxer."

"Well, I'll have a hard time getting it to the problem if it's a cream," said Joxer. "Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to keep fresh after using the chamber pot? I'd have to have arms like an ape to do it comfortably."

Ace patted Joxer's shoulder. "That's what husbands are for. Now, what's the other problem?"

"It's weird," said Joxer quietly. "I think I know what it is, but I figured I'd better tell you, just in case." He pressed his hands over his chest, fingers spread, and Ace noticed that he was pressing very lightly. "I'm getting swollen here, and it's tender."

Ace scratched his head. "Well, if you were a goddess, I'd say it was perfectly natural. Breast enlargement is perfectly natural during pregnancy."

"I don't HAVE breasts!" said Joxer firmly. He bit his lip. "Well--I DIDN'T."

"Joxer, don't be embarrassed. EVERYONE has breasts. It's just that they're much less prominent in the male sex, since we don't have any practical uses for them."

"Oooh. So THAT'S where they get the expression 'as useful as tits on a Cretin bull'."

Ace's lips twitched. "Precisely. Or 'as necessary as stones on a temple virgin'."

"Did it happen to Zeus?"

Ace shook his head. "I seriously doubt he'd have remained entirely sane. No, Athena sprang from his head fully grown, thus there was no need for his body to prepare for nursing."

Joxer's eyes got wide. "Nuh-nursing?"

"I need to be sure that's what it is, and not an inflammation. Take off your shirt, please."

Joxer did as directed. His first instinct was to cross his arms over his chest. He'd only noticed the slight swelling and tenderness in the last couple of days, and was embarrassed by it. He'd stopped sleeping in the nude. The first time he'd climbed into bed wearing the loose silk pants and tunic, Ares had raised an eyebrow, but he didn't say anything. Contrary to what most people believed, the God of War was perfectly capable of being tactful. He realized that his husband was feeling self-conscious, and he wasn't about to cause him any more distress by commenting.

Ace bent over Joxer, examining him closely. Joxer was naturally fair, but not quite as pale as Strife. The area around both nipples was a bit more prominent. "Have you noticed a change of color in the nipples?"

"Now that you mentioned it, yeah. They're a little darker."

"M-hm." Ace palpitated the flesh around the nipples. "Is this tender?"

"Just a little."

"Well, I don't feel any excess heat, and that's good. There's no redness." Ace looked up at Joxer. "Joxer, what I'm about to do may ache a little bit. I apologize in advance, but I want to check something."

"Okay."

Joxer drew in a breath as Ace took one of his nipples between his thumb and forefinger and squeezed gently. "Take it easy. I'm not groping--I'm testing." He smiled at Joxer. "Still, I'm glad Ares had to go off on business. Devoted, passionate husbands of vulnerable life bearers are not notoriously tolerant of ANYONE handling their spouse's flesh. I'm going to check the other one now." He moved to the other side, squeezing carefully.

"What are you looking for? Tumors?" There was nervousness in Joxer's voice.

"No." Ace's expression relaxed a little, and he let go of Joxer, rubbing his fingers together. He showed them to the God of Peace, and they were damp. "I was looking for that. You've begun to produce pre-milk." Joxer gaped at Ace's hand, then looked down at his own chest in astonishment. "You haven't noticed this before? No damp patches on your clothes?"

"Well, there have been a couple of teeny spots once or twice, but I just figured I was sweating. I HAVE been a little heat sensitive lately."

"No, it's called colustrum, and it's perfectly natural. You might want to wear a very loose binding to keep your clothing clean. But be careful, you mustn't bind yourself. That could cause the ducts to block, and you could end up with mastitis, and you don't want that. I want you to be sure to get plenty of rest, and clean yourself several times a day, to prevent rashes or infections."

"I don't know how I'm going to explain this to Ares."

Ace sat beside him. "Joxer, I don't think you'll have to. He probably knows already. After all, he went through this sort of thing with Dite, and he's not inobservant." He patted Joxer's shoulder, and his voice was warm. "He's very aware of you, you know. I think he'd notice if something was off with you before he'd notice that he was getting ill himself. I have to go. Do you want me to send anyone to stay with you?"

"No, it's all right. There are the temple priests, if I need them, and I think Strife is going to drop by."

Ace smiled. "Think, or know?"

"He HAS been coming by pretty regularly."

"Good. He can be as aggravating as Tartarus sometimes, but he's also usually good for a laugh, and that can't hurt you. I'll see you again in a day or two."

*Flash*

Joxer got to his feet, noting that it took a little more effort than usual, and reminding himself to be careful about sitting on furniture that didn't have nice, sturdy arms to brace with. He went to the bedside table, heated the water in the wash basin with a thought, and began to sponge down his chest. The heat lessened the slight aching.

*FLASH*

Strife appeared, leaning against the wall beside him. "Hiya, Jox. What's shakin?"

Joxer sighed. "Me, in a few weeks."

"Say what?"

"I'm growing boobs, Strife."

"No kiddin?" Strife leaned over, peering closely at Joxer's chest. "Huh. Yah, I'd hafta call those itty bitty titties, as opposed to manly pectorals, but yer nevah gonna rival Aphrodite, Joxer."

"You're such a comfort to me." He dried off and put his shirt back on. "How are things going for you?"

Strife shrugged. "Same old, same old. Pranks, dirty tricks, insults, harrassment, sabotage, practical jokes, deviousness--then there's work..." He pointed at Joxer, grinning. "Ran inta yer lil bard tha othah night."

Joxer found he was smiling. "Okay, what did you do to her?"

"Nothin that woulda been any problem if she paid attention ta what she was doin. She was readin wunna her new poems at a tavern," he giggled, "an' I snuck a few unauthorized words an' phrases inta it. If she didn't have her mouth on automatic, she'da noticed in time ta switch it around. I'm particularly proud of rhymin 'went without a hitch' to 'I am Xena's bitch'"

Joxer was chuckling. "Xena didn't get upset."

"She was pretty drunk by then, an' she just banged her ale mug on tha table an' yelled, 'you damn betcha you are, Blondie'. I think they slept separate." He eyed Joxer, then said quietly, "Wunna tha barmaids had a baby, an' Gabby was tellin her that she knew someone who was expectin. She asked how soon aftah tha baby was born someone could expect ta be allowed ta visit."

Most of the Pantheon had decided to mention the God of Peace's former life as a mortal as little as possible, figuring it would make his adjustment to his new station easier. Strife had thought that was sort of like negating everything that Joxer had been before he attained divinity, and he decided that couldn't be good for the ego, or general mood. He knew he'd been right to tell Joxer this when he saw the smile spreading over his friend's face. "She did? I'll want her and the others here as soon as Ace and Apollo say it's all right, of course. Heck, they're still my friends--part of my family, really."

Strife nodded, then started to trace an invisible pattern on the tabletop, eyes following his finger. He said casually, "Yah think I might come see 'im aftah ya get a chance ta rest up from havin 'im?"

"Strife! I'm going to be very hurt if you DON'T show up as soon as the baby is dried off."

Strife looked up quickly, with a pleased grin. "Yah?"

"Of course! He's going to be your cousin, after all. Besides," Joxer patted his friend, "all children are yours, at the beginning."

"True, but there's a lot of parent's don't wanna admit that."

Joxer rolled his eyes, and his voice became smug, and a little falsetto. "Not MY little angel! He'd NEVER do anything like that." Strife cackled.

*FLASH*

Ares appeared. Joxer greeted him with a wide, genuine smile. "I thought you were going to be busy most of the day."

"I was. I AM," said Ares. "But I had to take a minute. I have a situation here." He was holding his hands cupped together, and now he extended them toward Joxer.

Joxer looked, seeing what looked like a clump of bedraggles fur. "A dead rat?" The tiny bundle of fur moved. *meeeeer* Joxer gasped, eyes going big. "It's a kitten! But it's so tiny. Ar, you shouldn't have taken it from its mother."

"I know, Jox, but the mother isn't in any shape to do it any good. One of the wardogs got hold of her. I was wondering why in Tartarus that scrawny little bag of fur would dash out and attack a full grown war dog. I mean, cats usually have better sense than that. He killed her, of course. Then I heard this sort of peep from the bush that the cat had charged out of, and for some reason I got curious and went and looked." He lifted his hands. "I found this."

Strife had come over and was examining the little creature. "Was tha dog close ta tha bush?"

Ares nodded. "He was nosing around it. I figured he was just deciding whether or not to water it."

"That explains it. Mama Kitty was defendin her baby." He shook his head. "I'm tellin ya, if we evah get tagetha a squad of mothahs with babies behind tha lines, we'll have a force more feared than those wussy Huns evah thought about bein."

"I won't argue with you on that." He looked down at the kitten almost helplessly. "I just didn't feel right leaving it there. It would have starved, or the dogs would have gotten to it, and..."

Joxer held out his hand. "Give it here."

Ares handed over the cat with a look of relief. "I have to go. The men think that I had a summons from Zeus. If they found out I was doing emergency service for a cat..."

Joxer waved at him. "Go. I'll handle this."

*FLASH*

Joxer held the kitten in one palm, cupping the other hand over it. "Well, its eyes are open, and it can stand up, but it DEFINITELY isn't weaned yet." His expression softened. "It's trembling. I think the first thing to do is get it warmed up..." He sniffed. "And, uh, cleaned." He offered the cat to Strife. "Hold it for a minute."

Strife took the animal. "Sure. Cats are mine, too, ya know." He held the kitten up so that it was eye-level. "What's new, pussycat?"

*hisssss!*

Strife burst out laughing. "Oh, you an' me are gonna get along." He held the kitten's upper body, letting the bottom dangle, and peered between its legs. "Gotcha a little tom here, Jox. If it survives, ya won't hafta worry about kittens, but everyone around ya who owns a queen cat will." The kitten was squirming. *hiss* *rooowr!* "He's cussin me out in kitty language."

"I'm not surprised. Stop looking under his tail--it's rude."

"Joxer, are ya familiar with cats? They show tha WORLD what's undah their tail."

Joxer materialized a shallow basin of warm water, some soft soap, and fluffy towels. "Okay, I'm ready."

Strife handed him over. "Bathin a cat? Yer braver than I am. Watch out. He's got his claws, an' he ain't afraid ta use 'em."

"Ouch. So I see. Luckily he's still small enough that he can't do much damamge." He dipped the kitten in the water. *ROOOWR!* *splash* *HISSS!* *slopsplash* *ARRRROW!* "Now I know what they mean by a hissy fit. Hold still."

*grrrrrrrr*

Strife laughed. "That wasn't a purr. I think that meant 'fat chance'."

"I'll be quick." *lather* *rub* *rinse* *lift* *dripdrip* *wrap* *rubrubrubmassagerub* "Done." He gently set the kitten down on the bed. It wobbled a few steps, then turned and glared at him. Standing stiff-legged, skinny tail standing up like an exclamation point, minute ears flat against rounds skull, the kitten proceeded to spit like water sprinkled on a hot griddle. Then it sat down and began to groom itself.

Strife cocked his head. "Seems in pretty good shape ta me. I think if ya can figure out how ta feed 'im, ya won't have any trouble."

"Oh, that's easy." Joxer went over to the table and started picking among the breakfast remains. "Whip up some warm milk, with a beaten egg in it, would you?" Strife materialized a small bowl of the requested ingredients, while Joxer got a napkin and tied a chunk of bread about the size of a fingernail in it. He went to the bed and sat down.

The kitten stopped licking his paw and eyed Joxer warily. Joxer said quietly. "Look, I know it's been a rough morning, but you're in a safe place now."

*snort* "I'm sorry, Jox, but hearin tha Halls of War refered to as a safe place..."

"Hush. Kitty, kitty, kitty." The kitten backed up a couple of steps. He'd dried off enough for his fur to fluff, and he did, puffing up to at least an extra third in size. The kitten was completely black, and his wide yellow eyes and gaping pink mouth (complete with very tiny, but sharp, teeth) showed up dramatically. "You're just going to have to trust me."

Joxer reached, and managed to grab the kitten as it tried to scamper away. *hiss* *rrrr* *arrow* *hiss* "Hold out that bowl." Strife did, and Joxer dipped the tied up bread into the warm, white liquid. Then he took a firm, but careful, grip just behind the kitten's skull and pressed the milksop against his mouth. The kitten was just opening his mouth to say something nasty, and the little wet bundle slipped in. He tried to spit it out--then got a taste. Immediately his jaws clamped shut, and he began to suck. His eyes squeezed half shut in bliss. After a second he spit out the now only slightly damp cloth and began to complain loudly, pawing at Joxer's hand. "Stay calm. There's plenty more where that came from."

He let go of the kitten and reached to dip the cloth again. The cat tottered over to his side and managed to rear up on his hind legs, bracing his front paws on the side of Joxer's leg, fussing loudly. "Okay, okay--greedy." He offered the milksop, and the kitten latched on again. Again the eyes squeezed happily, and a tiny throbbing noise started up. Joxer looked at Strife delightedly. "He's purring." The kitten was flexing his paws. "And he's working his claws in my leg. Ow."

"Hey, look at it this way, Jox. If ya keep 'im, he'll be good trainin fah bein a parent. You'll get ta deal with feedins at all hours of tha day an' night, messes, bein pestered. Lotsa practice."

Joxer was stroking the top of the kitten's head with one finger. "He's awful cute. I hope Ares won't mind."

"Are you kiddin me? Joxer, he brought 'im to ya, din't he? He hasta figure you'll be good fah each othah. Besides, it ain't like he's gonna deny ya anything in his power right now."

Joxer grinned. "I sort of figured that, but I'd rather it wasn't just because he's trying to humor the pregnant man." The kitten had finished his meal. He used the hold he already had on Joxer's pants to drag himself up onto the god's leg, then curled into a small ball of black fur and fell asleep, purring with every breath.

"I don't think that'll be a problem. An' judging from that lil booger's attitude, he might be able ta knock Greagus back on his ass a time or two, once he gets his full growth."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ares was later than he'd thought he'd be. He was irritated, and a little worried, by the time he finally appeared in the Halls of War. The worry and anger drained away the moment he saw Joxer, leaving him with nothing but that sense of contentment and peace that was fast becoming more familiar.

His lover was dozing, stretched out on a couch. Something looked a little odd, and it took Ares a moment to realise that the kitten he'd brought home was sleeping, curled up almost precisely on Joxer's adam's apple. Ares couldn't help smiling as he moved to stand over his husband. "Joxer," he said softly.

"Mmf?" Brown eyes opened, warming as his gaze fell on Ares. "Hi. I fell asleep."

"So I see. That's good, though. If you need to rest--rest." He pointed. "I see the infant has survived."

Joxer carefully stroked the kitten, his hand covering it completely with each stroke. It opened its eyes and squeaked sleepily. "I think he'll be fine. He's a lively little fella. You should have seen him trying to chase a ball of paper. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself--not that it takes much to cause that these days."

Ares pulled a chair close and sat down. "So you'll be keeping him?"

Joxer looked at him. "If you're not, like, allergic, or anything--I'd like to."

"No. It's just that if you thought it might be too much trouble, I could bring him to Heccate. She loves cats--says it's a witch thing."

"No, I want to keep him." He rubbed the kitten behind the ears, getting a purr. "He needs me."

Ares reached out and laid his palm against Joxer's cheek, his thumb stroking the faint pink line left by the hydra blood that had marked him when he saved Ares' life. "A lot of people need you. Some of us are lucky enough to KNOW it." He pointed at the kitten. "What are you going to name it?"

"I dunno." Joxer lifted the kitten, bringing it nose-to-nose. "What would you like to be called?"

The kitten blinked at him. *mjau*

Joxer and Ares laughed, and Joxer said, "I guess that answers that question. Welcome home, Mjau."

Part Twenty-three: Gravid

"So help me, for the rest of my life, I am going to do my damndest to make sure every pregnant woman has as much peace as its possible for me to give her."

Ares gave Joxer an amused look. "A laudable ambition, Joxer, but remember that only the Greek are under your direct jurisdiction, and a completely anxiety free pregnancy is simply not natural."

"Details, details," Joxer grumbled. "I HATE having to limit my work so much. I mean, I just became the God of Peace, and I'm having to delegate right and left to my priests, who are ALSO new. What are my worshippers going to think of me?"

"They'll think that you're a wonderful, sensible person dedicated to the health of our unborn child. They'll think that, or they'll deal with me."

Joxer smiled faintly. "You'll just make more work for me like that."

Mjau trotted into the room, heading straight for Joxer. In the six weeks he'd grown a good bit. He was still small, but he was sleek, sturdy, and full of attitude. He paused long enough to wind himself around Ares' legs, making sure to rub his jaw on the man's boots, scent marking him so that any interloper would know who he belonged to. Then he went to his main human and did the same. Sitting beside Joxer's feet, he looked up expectantly. *mjau*

Joxer gazed down at him. "I am NOT bending down to pick you up." The kitten instantly jumped, snagged Joxer's trousers, and started to climb.

Ares reached over, plucked the kitten off, and deposited him in Joxer's arms. "You need to break him of that. It's going to get painful if he's still doing it when he's full grown."

"Yeah, I know. I spoke to Artemis, since she's the big one on animals, but apparently there isn't much theory on obedience training cats."

"Imagine my shock."

"Strife advised me to keep a water bottle nearby and give Mjau a squirt when he does something over the limit."

Ares snorted. "Sounds like something Strife would suggest."

Joxer scratched the kitten under the chin. "Strife's gonna be surprised by how big you've gotten. He hasn't seen you for almost a month," he said sadly. Ares shifted, a little guiltily. He'd kept Strife busy lately, and had hinted broadly that he spend a minimum of time in the Halls of War. He just wasn't comfortable having the God of Mischief around Joxer when he was in such a vulnerable state, but he was beginning to realize how much Joxer missed Strife's companionship. Joxer materialized a small gobbet of liver and offered it to Mjau, who devoured it quickly. "I'm so glad you got weaned."

"Me, too. That waking up two or three times a night when you had to feed him sucked."

Joxer gave him a wry look. "Yes, I'm sure that will never happen with a new baby." He waddled to the sofa and lowered himself carefully to sit on the edge. "Oh, man. I have REALLY gotten huge in the last couple of weeks." He flinched, and Ares looked concerned. "Relax. Our son may be a vintner--he seems to be practicing stomping grapes. Mjau--play, or food?" The kitten looked horrified. "Yeah, it's a bitch having to choose, so don't." Joxer materialized a tiny minnow, then pitched it on the floor, where it began flapping frantically. Mjau leaped, for an instant looking a bit like a flying squirrel, all four limbs spread wide. He landed in a crouch, wiggled his tiny butt, then pounced on the minnow and began to wrestle it. "That'll keep him busy for awhile. He'll have to kill it at least six times before he's satisfied. Hand me that salve that Dite sent, would you?"

Ares got the squat alabaster jar, opening the lid and sniffing it as he brought it over. "It smells good. A little girly, but good."

"Well, what did you expect from Dite--something woodsy and manly?" He held out his hand.

Ares kept hold of the jar. "What's this for? I know the cream Ace gave you was for the hemeroids, but what's this for?"

"It's for--something else. It's a skin cream."

"You don't need it. Your complexion is better than ever. I used to think that 'glowing' bit was crap that everyone spread to keep pregnant women happy, but it's true with you."

"Stop it. Shouldn't you be writing down your thoughts on the philosophy of war, or something?"

Ares sat beside him. "Okay, now you're trying to get rid of me. What is this?" Joxer tried to grab the jar, but Ares had longer arms than he did, and held it away. "You might as well tell me--you know how stubborn I can be."

"It IS a skin cream. It... it's just not facial cream."

"Joxer..."

"It's for my belly, okay? Dite said it will keep me from getting stretch marks. I'm using it on my chest, too--at least till I have to start nursing the baby." He folded his arms and tipped his chin down, looking at the floor. "I just don't want to end up with streaks running up and down my body."

"Why didn't you just say so? Take off your shirt and lie down, and I'll..."

"No!"

Ares blinked at him, then said slowly, "Joxer, does this have any connection to why you've stopped undressing for bed?"

"I take off my clothes."

"And then you put on nearly as much again." Ares put an arm around his shoulders. "Tell me your aren't embarrassed--not with me."

Joxer bit his lip, then said faintly, "I've spent my life usually being the skinniest, palest, clumsiest person in the neighborhood."

"Joxer, you're..."

"Let me finish. Then we got together--and for the first time I felt--" he smiled faintly. "Hell, they don't have a strong enough masculine word for it. 'Handsome' and 'good looking' just don't cover it."

"Despite what some people think, Jox, the term beautiful is perfectly appropriate for a man as well as a woman. If you doubt it, look at Cupid. I think you're beautiful."

Joxer nodded, and his eyes were soft. "I know. That's why I want to keep covered up. I want you to keep thinking that."

Ares sighed, then rested his head on Joxer's shoulder. "Joxer, you're still too damn insecure. First off, if a god has an ounce of sense, they realize that mere physical appearance counts for very little. Hell, we can change it at will, remember? Strife once persuaded Deimos to make his hair black, then Strife went blonde... Tartarus, I don't even want to think about it. It took the Fates three days to untangle the threads."

Joxer frowned. "Did that have anything to do with that time that the Benevolent Order of Camel Traders was chased with whips through Corinth by that group of women who'd organized an animal protective order?"

Ares nodded. "We managed to hush most of the incidents up, but that one was a little too public to cover, but never mind that. What I'm trying to tell you is that not only don't I find the physical changes brought on by the pregnancy distasteful, I find them downright sexy."

Joxer's eyes got round. "I had no idea you were that kinky."

"Joxer, it's because it's YOU, and this is happening because of the baby we made together."

Joxer was quiet for a moment, then slipped him a sidelong look. "Sexy, huh?" Ares grinned. "Fat lot of good it does us now."

"Oh, I don't know about that." Ares was eyeing the jar of salve speculatively. "Now, go on and take off your shirt, and I'll treat your belly while I consider this."

Still feeling shy, Joxer unlaced his loose shirt, then removed it. He reflexively crossed his arms over his belly, and Ares said, "Don't try to hide from me."

Joxer was blushing a little as he let his arms drop, and mumbled, "There's really no point in trying, anyway. It'd be like trying to stuff a boulder in a belt pouch."

"Lay down." As Joxer stretched out, Ares dipped his fingers into the salve. With his clean hand he loosened the lacing on Joxer's pants and pushed the waistband down below his husband's stomach. "There it is." He bent over and kissed Joxer just above the navel. "I've been missing this." He began to massage the ointment into the taut skin.

"Yeah, you have been rather fond of my abdomen since you found out I'm pregnant."

"It's the closest I can get to my son, and I'm close to you at the same time--a bonus." Ares felt a push against his hand, and smiled. "Hello, little one." He pressed back, firmly, but gently, then continued to rub, working the ointment into Joxer's skin. "This stuff seems to be working. Your skin is feeling more elastic already."

Joxer nodded. "I'm glad you're helping, because truthfully, I've gotten to where I can't really reach the underside of my belly--not without cramping our kid, anyway."

"I can take care of that."

Ares showed particular attention to the undercurve of Joxer's pregnant belly. After a moment, his hand drifted lower, and Joxer's eyebrows, along with something else, rose slowly. "Um, Ares? That isn't where I'm worried about getting stretch marks."

"No? But it seems to be swelling quite a bit. I really think I should rub a little more of this on, just in case."

Joxer sighed voluptuously as Ares slipped his hand into the opening of Joxer's trousers and continued to caress his hardening prick. He murmured, "As tired as I am lately, I'm liable to drop off to sleep before I can return the favor."

"Joxer, I'm not keeping score." Ares' voice was amused. "Just relax and enjoy it. I spoke to Ace before I came over. He said that if your hemeroids are all right, we can do a little something, so we can try in a day or so."

"Sounds good, but I don't see HOW."

"If I have to, I'll have Hephastus rig up some sort of sling."

Joxer had closed his eyes, and now he slitted one open again. "Oo. Kinky."

"The gods have a lot of time to experiment."

Joxer enjoyed a nice, leisurely handjob. Ares was careful to make the buildup slow and steady, so that Joxer's orgasm was almost gentle. He wasn't going to have his very pregnant husband straining himself for ANYTHING, not even conjugal bliss. When it was done he cleaned Joxer up, helping him rearrange his clothing.

He'd just finished when there was a sudden flash of red light, and Cupid appeared. This was startling enough--Cupid was usually one of the few who bothered to send some sort of warning before he zapped into their private chambers--usually a dove or a few fluttering hearts. This time there was only the crackle of energy, sparks, and there he was.

The look of him added to the startlement. Cupid was one of the most laid-back gods Strife had ever known, but now he was almost HUMMING with tension. His wings were ruffled, snowy feather fluffed, and his hazel eyes were almost shooting gold sparks. He stalked over to the sofa, ignoring Joxer (which was also unusual, as he'd always been polite) and ground out, "WHERE IS HE?"

Ares' eyes narrowed, and he stood up. As the God of War, and a father, he wasn't going to take that tone of voice from his son, and a fellow deity. "Who are you talking about, and you'd better rethink that tone of voice."

Cupid stopped short, breathing heavily, fists clenched at his side. But he took a moment, and his voice was much more level when he spoke again. "Strife."

Joxer sat forward instantly. "Is something wrong with him?"

Cupid threw up his hands. "Do you want a list?"

"What's he done now?" asked Ares.

"Oh, only made my life a living Tartarus, that's what. Only completely ruined a match I've been busting my balls over. Only gotten me in deep shit with Grandpa AND Grandma. ONLY BEEN HIS INSANE, EXASPERATING, TROUBLE CAUSING SELF!"

"Only done what he was created to do?" Joxer said quietly. There was abrupt silence. Cupid looked at him, blinking. Joxer was gazing at him steadily, and Ares could feel the power in the room rise subtly as Joxer exerted his godhood, sending calmness toward his agitated son. "Perhaps it would help things if you calmed down a little, and gave us a few details."

Cupid nodded a little numbly, then dropped into a chair. "Have either of you heard of Anieli and Damara?" Joxer and Ares both shook their head. "Well, I'm not surprised. They aren't exactly prominent, but they ARE significant. Damara is one of Grandma's priestesses, and Anieli is one of Grandpa's... um..."

"Offspring?" offered Joxer.

"Joxer--God of Tact. A couple of generations removed, but yes, so he's taking an interest in HIM, and Hera is taking an interest in HER. When the mortals showed a little interest in each other, Zeus and Hera decided it would be a good thing if they got together. I was given orders to smooth things along--but the natural way--no arrows or potions." He shrugged. "It's more effort like that, but the spark was there, so I didn't mind, but DAMN they didn't make it easy. Finally, FINALLY it's their wedding day. I figured things were set. Dad, you didn't have any squirmishes planned for the area, Apollo promised to make sure there was plenty of sunshine..."

Ares frowned. "Don't tell me that you weren't there personally to supervise?"

Cupid rubbed his face. "I was tired--I slept late. I thought I'd make an appearance at the wedding reception. There was no reception, because there was no wedding. Dad, I have NEVER seen that sort of uproar outside one of Bacchus' festivals gone bad. Hera's priestesses were getting ready to throw down on the groom's friends when I got there. It took me some time before I could get a semi-coherant account of what had happened. There was a whole string of escalating minor disasters leading up to the bride catching the groom groping an old flame, hysterics, and a physical altercation between the couple, complete with creative cursing." He pursed his lips. "If what some of the guests told me is accurate, Dad, Damara must've counceled a few of your more seasoned camp followers to get her vocabulary. Anyway, I took a look around, and Strife's power signature was all over the place. He didn't even try to hide it."

"Why should he?" Again Cupid stared at Joxer. "Well, why should he? He was doing his job, making mischief, right?"

"But Joxer," growled Cupid, "THIS wedding? It was supposed to be special."

"Did he know that?"

"He..." Cupid trailed off. "He had to." He looked at Ares. "Didn't he?"

Ares shrugged, but Joxer said, "Neither of us knew, and that didn't surprise you."

"Well, yeah, but Strife..." He gestured, searching for words. "He just seems to know things." He scratched his head, and a tinge of doubt crept into his tone. "I figured he knew this."

"He isn't stupid," said Joxer firmly, "and he isn't suicidal--now." Cupid looked at him sharply. Joxer stared back at him, not explaining, then said, "I can see that something is going to have to be done about this Cupid, and I can see that you're upset, but I want you to remember two things--Strife probably didn't know as much as everyone seems to think he did, and maybe you don't know as much about Strife as you think YOU do."

Ares patted Joxer's back. "Don't work so hard. Cupid, the God of Peace should have a little peace in his own home. You'd better go take care of this situation." Cupid looked back at Joxer, and they exchanged a long look, then the Love God nodded and vanished. This time the flash was more subdued. Ares said, matter of factly, "Cupid is going to kick Strife's ass." Joxer tipped him a look. "He's my son, Joxer."

Joxer smiled at him enigmatically. "Yes, he is. That's why I'm not worried about what he's going to do to Strife."

Chapter Twenty-four: Confrontation

An hour or two after Cupid left, Hermes appeared in the Halls of War. He was talking before the sparks of his arrival had a chance to settle. "All Tartarus has broken loose, Ares. Strife is..."

"In deep crap--I know," said Ares. "Why should now be any different than usual?"

"Oh, but he has both Zeus and Hera..."

"They're both pissed, because he messed up the wedding of a couple of their favorites. Hermes, you could have saved yourself a trip. We already know the gossip."

"Ah, but do you know what Strife's punishment is going to be?" Ares and Joxer exchanged silent looks, and Hermes nodded smugly. "Thought not." He pulled a scroll from his belt. "This is the official communication from Zeus, but let me just give you a hint..."

"Why don't you give me the scroll instead?"

"I will, but it's no fun to just hand the message over. Being the messenger to the gods is a boring job, Ares. I have to amuse myself SOMEHOW. Anyway, here's the hint--" He paused.

"Hermes, if you don't get on with it, I'm peeling off one of those winged sandals and cramming up your ass."

"Touchy. You thought that Cupid was frustrated and irritated? Wait till you see how he is after having to work with Strife for a while."

Ares, sitting on the sofa with Joxer, sat forward abruptly. "What?"

Hermes nodded, finally handing over the scroll. "This is from Zeus, officially ordering you to give up Strife's services for an undetermined period of time--more specifically, until the Anieli/Damara fiasco has been settled to the satisfaction of the involved parties."

Joxer blinked. "Until Anieli and Damara are happy with their situation?"

Hermes waved dismissively. "Not the mortals. Pfft. Who's worried about what they think? No, until Hera and Zeus are satisfied."

Ares had unrolled the scroll and been reading it. Now he dropped it on the floor, and rested his forehead in his hand. "Fuck. I'll never get him back."

Joxer patted his back. "Oh, come on. If those two really love each other, it shouldn't be all that hard to show them..."

"Joxer--we're talking about Hera and Zeus being happy with the same thing. And we're talking about STRIFE bringing this about. Compared to that Sisyphus has an easy task."

Joxer frowned. "You don't have a lot of confidence in him, do you?" Ares just looked at him quizzically. "Ares, have you, or have you not, told me that Strife is a good second-in-command?"

"Well, he's... adequate."

Joxer snorted. "Like you tolerate adequate."

Ares decided not to discuss this with Joxer. His lover was always tenderhearted, and the pregnancy was obviously making him even more sentimental. Ares didn't want to upset him by arguing Strife's merits or flaws. The fact that he was having a bit of trouble coming up with really strong arguments (aside from the usual one that Strife was a bit nuts--which was sounding a little lame at the moment) had nothing to do with it. "Eris can take up some of the slack, but it looks like I'm going to be even busier for the next week or so. Maybe I can get Hestia or Demeter to move in while..."

"No."

"Joxer, don't be so abrupt in your refusal."

"Okay. No way. Ares, things are going terrific. Ace says the baby isn't due for over two weeks. I have a horde of concerned priests, yours and mine, if I do so much as squeak, and I'm getting a lot better at that mental summoning trick. If anything at all even LOOKS like it's going to go wrong, believe me--you WILL know about it."

"Maybe I could just have Hestia over during the day."

"No. She's a great gal, but you might as well just tie me hand and foot and swaddle me in lamb's wool. I don't mind being pampered, but I can live without being smothered. Besides--the last time she was here for more than a half-hour she rearranged my kitchen. I'm not having it."

"But..."

"Ares?"

"What?"

"No."

*sigh* "Why couldn't I have fallen in love with a nice, docile, obedient airhead?"

"You'd have been bored to death in a month."

Ares smiled wryly. "Not half full of yourself, are you?"

Joxer shrugged. "It's your own fault. Keep telling someone how wonderful they are, and it's bound to happen."

Late Afternoon, the Next Day

Joxer was examining a tiny pair of black boots, finely stitched out of butter soft kid leather. "These are quite possibly the cutest things on the face of the earth."

*mjau!*

Joxer glanced down at the kitten, who was swishing his tail. "All right, I'll rephrase that--these are quite possibly the cutest INANIMATE things on the face of the earth. Satisfied?" The kitten sneezed and stalked off.

Ares, sitting beside him, was staring at the booties. "How the hell does Hestia get the stitching so tiny and even?"

"Goddess thing?"

"Probably. It seems a little silly, considering the fact that the baby will have outgrown those by the time he can actually WALK."

"That doesn't make a difference. Strife once said that in the future parents will pay dinars and dinars for infant shoes, just because they have the name of the Goddess of Victory on them."

Ares shook his head. "I wonder what Nike would make of that?" *Flash* Cupid stood before them, a glower on his face. Ares sighed. "Just when I think I'm going to have a whole day without trouble. What is it?"

"We need to have a talk, Dad."

"What's Strife done now?"

"And that's EXACTLY what we need to have a talk about."

"Look, he's your problem right now. Believe me, I'm not unsympathetic, but I don't think Zeus and Hera want much intervention on this."

"Why do you think I'm here because Strife screwed up?"

"Two reasons--your expression, and... this is Strife we're talking about."

Cupid pointed at him. "And THAT is why I'm here! You just assumed that Strife had to have done something stupid, crazy, or incompetent. Actually he's been doing quite well--much better than I expected..." Some of the irritation went out of his expression, and he drooped a little. "And I'm going to have to deal with that about myself."

"Cupid, what are you going on about?"

Joxer laid aside the booties. "He's talking about the way Strife has been treated here on Olympus."

Cupid nodded, and Ares frowned in puzzlement. "What do you mean? He's treated no differently from everyone else."

"Dad, PLEASE!" snapped Cupid. "Can you name one other god or goddess who has been treated with such a consistent lack of respect, if not downright hostility? It's shameful. I guess I can see where it would happen with most of the others--a lot of them are too shallow to see beyond his godhood, but I would have thought you of all people..."

Ares was frowning. "Cupid, I'm your father--YOU don't scold ME. I don't know what you're getting so upset over. All right, so I haven't exactly bent over backward to make him feel like a swell fellow and a prince of a god. It isn't my job."

Cupid was quiet for a moment, then said, "Since when has family relations been considered a job?"

Ares didn't exactly flinch. That was a sore point with him. The world at large saw him as cold and ruthless. His head-butting with his half-brother, Hercules, was no secret, and the strained relationship between he and his father would be the stuff of myths. But he DID care about family. He'd been a good father, to the extent he was allowed by Cupid's placement in the House of Love. "I took him in when Eris couldn't cope. I trained him. You know that I don't waste my time training people unless they're worthy."

"I know that, but I'm not sure Strife has associated that with himself. I'm pretty sure he sees all that he's gotten so far from anyone in his life as a reluctant obligation." Cupid sat in a chair, and rubbed his face. "He acts surprised every time I'm the least bit considerate, or... or decent." He threw his hands up angrily. "Fuck, I'm as guilty as you are! We were friends when we were little, then when his godhood started manifesting it just sort of... drifted. It never even occurred to me to try to keep him close."

"He doesn't exactly make it easy..."

"He's afraid to. If you think for sure someone is going to push you away, you don't make the first move, do you?"

Ares, for one of the few times in his life, was feeling at a loss. He hadn't often questioned his own actions, and he didn't want to now. But it looked like he was finally having that 'talk' that Cupid, Dite, and Joxer had been threatening him with. "All right, so I didn't tuck him in and tell him bedtime stories. I looked after him. I kept his guts inside his skin till he could take care of himself. Believe me, with his godhood, that wasn't all that easy."

"Ares?" Joxer said quietly. "Sometimes simple survival can be over rated."

"Look," said Cupid, "I'm going to tell you something that you might not have the easiest time dealing with, but you're going to have to. Deal with it--I mean. I have feelings for Strife."

"He's your cousin. I'd be surprised if you didn't."

*sigh* "Dad..."

Ares stood up and started pacing, not looking at Cupid. "All right, he's in deep shit with Hera and Zeus right now. I can understand you being worried about him and wanting to help, but don't go confusing pity with love. You could find yourself stuck in a situation that would be very awkward. I mean, you and Strife..."

Joxer stood up, not an easy feat for him at this stage, and he rested his hand on his bulging belly. "So this is the result of pity?"

Ares stopped abruptly, shocked. "Joxer, how could you think...?"

"Ares, shut up for a second and listen. I've been considered pale, skinny, and not too tightly wrapped. Sound familiar? You took charge of me because I'd been hurt helping you--" Ares started to speak, and Joxer talked over him. "Yes, it grew into something a lot more. But let's be honest--how many people would have thought that there could be ANYTHING between us but obligation?" Ares scowled, looking down, and Joxer put a hand on his shoulder. "Isn't it possible that this could be the same sort of thing? That there could really be something here? Maybe there isn't, but you can't just deny even the chance, simply because it doesn't fit your concept of the universe." He smiled faintly. "I've learned recently that there are very few absolutes in this world."

Ares looked at Cupid, expression still almost sullen. "What do you want from me?"

"Lighten up on him a little," said Cupid instantly. "I think you really DO care about him, and it wouldn't kill you to let him know occasionally. I'm going to be trying. I'm just hoping he'll let me get close enough to see how I can really help him."

Ares grunted. "I can't promise anything, Cupid."

"Just look at him with fresh eyes, Dad. Leave yourself open to seeing something other than what you expect to see."

Ares grunted again. "I need to go check over some strategy."

He left. Cupid shrugged. "That's Dad. Never one for prolonged good-byes."

Joxer grinned. "Oh, I don't know about that." Cupid caught his significant look, and they shared a smile. "Well, since he's feeling uncomfortable, he probably won't be back till you leave. Can you stay for a while? I'm more-or-less temple bound right now. I love Ares, but I lived among mortals all my life, traveling, and I'm starved for some variety in my company."

"Sure, I can stay for dinner. Strife is watching Bliss."

Joxer's smile was soft. "He'll like that. He loves children."

"I noticed that. He's one of Bliss' favorite people." Cupid shook his head. "And if Joy likes him, how come other people can't see what he does?"

"He's a child, Cupid. His eyes are still innocent, they haven't been clouded by the expectations of the world."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day Ares was broody. Joxer didn't say anything, because he knew that Cupid had given the War God a lot to think about. He quietly left Ares to his contemplation, just making sure that he took care of himself, did everything he should, and nothing he shouldn't, so that his husband would have nothing to distract him.

They were relaxing together on the sofa, Ares sitting behind Joxer, chin on his shoulder, gently stroking his belly, when a shower of blue sparks announced an arrival. It was Strife, looking just a trifle unsteady and green, for just a moment. Joxer said, "Hello, Strife. Are you all right?"

He gave Joxer a quick grin, ready to deny any problems. "Yah, I'm fine."

"You're supposed to be with Cupid." Ares made it sound like an accusation.

"He's comin. I thought I'd just drop in a little early an' say hey." He gave them a little wave. "Hey."

Joxer smiled back. "Hey."

"Unc, I was just thinkin... Ya know, I still haven't gotten that ambassador in a twist yet. I was gonna do it tha next day, but tha manure hit tha blades of tha rotatin aeration device..."

Ares gave him a 'what the Tartarus are you talking about?' look, and Joxer explained, "Shit hits the fan. One of Salmoneus's inventions. You don't wave the fan, there are a lot of fans attached to a central wheel, and it spins by..." Ares quirked an eyebrow. "It's kind of complicated, and it was more trouble than it was worth, but believe me, what he's talking about is a big mess."

Strife started speaking rapidly. "Anyways, I'm sure if ya had a talk with Zeus he'd give me some time off, an' I could get it taken care of. He's gotta state banquet today, an' that would be tha perfect opportunity." He giggled, obviously pleased with an idea. "He's gonna make a speech, an' I'm pretty sure I can get him ta screw up when he goes ta say 'I wanna honor your ancestors' an' say instead 'I wanna sleep with your mothahs'."

Ares was nodding. That would be good, and impossible to trace back to the House of War--classic Strife. The thought surprised him a little. Strife really WAS good at his job. The fact just didn't occur to Ares very often. But after Cupid had left, Joxer had made it very clear that Strife's time with Cupid was important, and not just for the Mischief God to straighten up the mess he'd made. "It can wait."

Strife looked disappointed, but continued, "Well, ya got that rebellion scheduled in tha Sixth Battalion of tha Praetorian Guard. If they aren't gonna think yer directly responsible, I need ta get started now, an'..."

Ares waved away the protest. "I can send your mother."

Strife was protesting that Eris would be more likely to start a massacre, and Ares was assuring him that she'd be directed to show restraint (which was a rather ridiculous concept--Eris and restraint didn't go together).

*FLASH*

Cupid appeared, holding Bliss in his arms. "Gran'pa!" The little boy immediately started squirming till Cupid deposited him on the floor, then he came pelting toward the sofa--toward the heavily pregnant God of Peac e. All the men in the room were well aware of just how hard those little feet could be when Bliss tried to climb up on someone. He was moving like a charging bull, and everyone started making frantic warning noises. Ares was tensing to move and block the child, but it was all unnecessary. Bliss came to a complete halt, then moved forward slowly and gave Joxer's legs a soft hug. "Hi, Joxie. Can I see the baby?"

Joxer laughed in pleased relief. "Sure, Bliss."

The little boy spread his small hands on the globe of Joxer's belly and pressed his ear to the swell, listening intently for the baby's heartbeat--and maybe something more. Ever since Bliss had announced to the world that 'Joxie gots a baby in his belly', the God of Joy had seemed to have a special connection to the unborn child.

Bliss informed the room that the baby's heart was bumping along steadily, then began, "Stwife was..."

Strife interrupted abruptly, and that was unusual. Oh, not the interrupting--he did that all the time--with adults. But was always willing to let a child have their say, very patient and attentive. And Bliss was his favorite, so for him to step over the little boy's speech--that was odd. "I was gonna teach tha kid ta recognize loaded dice, in case Zeus decided ta pluck him, an' I don't mean feathahs." Everyone in the room gave him a look--puzzled, amused, or irritated. "What?"

Ares growled, "Strife, I swear, if you teach my grandchild how to cheat at dice..."

"Dad." The single word from Cupid was cold, and Ares forced himself to bite back the threats he'd been about to issue.

Ares saw a significant look pass between Joxer and Cupid. "Love, help me stand up, would you? I think I'll take my milk out in the garden today." Ares gently helped Joxer to his feet an' materialized a big goblet of milk, handin it to him. "Thank you." Joxer ruffled Bliss's hair. "Bliss, I always give Mjau some of my milk. Would you like to come watch him? He's been trying to catch butterflies in the garden the last couple of days."

"Yeah!" Bliss looked around eagerly. Being Joy, baby animals were more or less in his realm of influence. He raised his treble voice and called, "Mjau. Here, Mjau!"

Ares was shaking his head. "Calling a cat by name. I think they don't come just to spite us."

Bliss raised his voice again. "KITTYKITTYKITTYKITTYKITTY!" Mjau sauntered into the room and looked at Bliss. *rowr* Bliss pointed at Joxer. "Milk." The cat trotted over and began to rub against anyone available, purring and chirping.

Strife nodded. "Yep. Tha kid has learned that bribery can be very effective."

Joxer gave his hand to the little boy. "Strife, come keep us company." Strife looked like he was going to object, but then he looked at Ares and Cupid, who were eyeing each other. He shrugged, and followed Joxer and Bliss out into Joxer's garden.

Strife thoughtfully zapped up a comfortable chair, complete with footstool, for Joxer. "Thank you, Strife. Now, I'd better give Mjau what he was promised." He materialized a saucer and dribbled some of the milk into it, then handed it over. "Put that down, will you?"

Strife put the saucer on the grass, then he and Bliss sat beside it and they all watched as Mjau busily cleaned the plate. "Gotta hand it ta ya, Jox. I wasn't sure that lil booger was gonna make it, but he looks as healthy as Pegasus now." Strife reached down and tapped the kitten on the head. Mjau instantly stood on his hind legs and boxed at him with his paws, whiskers bristling fiercely--but he kept his claws in. Strife chuckled. "Course the fact that he's feisty might have somethin ta do with it. Mjau," he pointed, "Lookit." Mjau turned his head and spotted the tiny yellow butterfly that had lighted delicately on a nearby blade of grass.

*pounce* *mutter* The butterfly had flitted out of the way at the last second. Now Mjau was after it, leaping crazily. Bliss jumped up and joined the chase, giggling happily.

The two men watched the mad chase for a little while. Then Joxer reached down and stroked Strife's spiky hair. "Cupid gave Ares what for about you yesterday." Joxer, eyes fixed on the two playmates, felt Strife flinch. "Oh, don't worry about that. He had it coming to him." Strife twisted his head to look up at Joxer doubtfully. "Strife, I love Ares, but I'm not blind to his faults. He hasn't been very nice to you over the years."

Strife looked away. He plucked a blade of grass, and started to shred it nervously. "He wasn't so bad. He took care of me."

"Strife," Joxer's voice was gentle, "you know what my family life was like. I can recognize screwed up when I see it."

"Yah, I guess ya can. But it coulda been worse. Even at his worst, I knew he loved me. He's just..." I blew out a breath. "Well, he's Ares."

"Yeah." Joxer settled back to wait. He didn't feel it was his place to say any more. He hadn't been a god for long, but he'd already learned that there were some things people had to do for themselves. Settling the dynamics of a relationship was one of them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Inside, While the Above Was Happening

"Now that all the children have left the room," said Ares dryly, "is there something you want to say to me?"

"It's about Strife."

"Why am I not surprised? Cupid," he held up his thumb and forefinger, close together, "aren't you getting just a LITTLE obsessed? Why are you so worried about him? You're acting like I've been emotionally abusing a ten-year-old girl. Strife is tough. He isn't as fragile as you seem to..."

"Dad, will you just SHUT UP for a minute?"

Ares jerked back at the afront. "You'd better have a DAMN good reason for talking to me like that!"

"I do. Do you remember a warlord called Cezanno?"

Ares wrinkled his forehead in thought. "Cezanno... Cezanno..."

"The Cruel?"

Recognition smoothed Ares' expression. "Him. Yes, I remember him. He was an effective warrior, at least at first. He lost it later in his career, though. All he was interested in was how much damage he could inflict on anything or anyone. But he's been in Hades' realm for decades. What about him?"

"Strife." The single word almost vibrated with barely leashed emotions.

"I don't get it."

"You gave Strife to him."

Ares snapped his fingers. "Yes! I remember now. Strife pulled some stunt that made him look stupid in front of his men--made his horse toss him in a manure pile, or something. After winning a particularly strategic battle I wanted to reward him. He already had control of a large section of land, and all the people and goods on it. I expected him to go for the usual jeweled sword, but he said all he wanted with Strife under his complete control for a night." Ares lifted his shoulders. "Strife had been sort of full of himself, so I figured a good beating and a night in chains couldn't do him any serious harm..."

Cupid moved suddenly, clearing goblets and plates off the nearby table with a single sweep of his arm. The resulting crash startled Ares. "Cupid! What the Tartarus..."

"No serious damage!" Cupid's voice was shaking. He was trembling so hard that his feathers rustled like leaves in a breeze.

Ares was shocked. He'd never seen Cupid react so violently--not even when Psyche had hurt him so badly. "What is it you think you have to tell me?"

"Telling won't get it," growled Cupid. "You have to be shown." He stepped over to Ares, who stiffened instinctively. "I found out something about Strife last night, Dad. He didn't tell me--he never would have. I had to look for myself. I sort of promised him I wouldn't tell anyone, either, so you'll just have to find out the same way I did." He leaned close. "Look, Dad. Look into my mind." Ares studied him. He was serious about this. He slowly lifted his hands to press against Cupid's temples. Just before Ares closed his eyes, Cupid said softly, "Dad? Be ready. It's... it's bad." Ares closed his eyes and reached out, moving into Cupid's mind. What he found there made him bite his lip bloody to keep from screaming.

There was himself, binding Strife with the chains forged by Hephastus, telling him of his punishment, ignoring the Mischief God's pleas and protests that he'd just been doing his job--telling him he deserved what he was getting. There he was handing Strife over to Cezzano--a hard, scarred man with disturbingly blank eyes.

All else he remembered of the incident was retrieveing Strife the next morning, finding him bruised, and bloody-nosed, but apparantly not much the worse for wear. He'd released him, telling him he hoped he'd learned something from this. And Strife had just looked at him, without the resentment or anger Ares had expected, and said, "Yah. 'Scuse me," and gone. And been very, very, VERY quiet for a long time afterward.

Now, though, Ares saw what had come between those personal memories.

He might have used the excuse that part of it's awfulness was because it had been compressed and condensed, hours of abuse into a few minutes. He didn't lie to himself like that, though. He had a feeling that it probably seemed LESS awful, since it didn't have to be endured for so long. Humiliation, disgust, pain moving into agony, then surpassing agony. Burning, cutting, beating, violation after violation, and a continual litany of derission and abuse. Ugly, stupid, worthless, dirty, useless, repulsive... 'This is all you're good for. Always remember, this is what they ALL think you're worth.' And near the end... doubt, despair, and, heartbreakingly, belief.

Ares broke away from Cupid, stumbling back till his legs bumped the sofa, and he sat down abruptly. Ares was pale faced and sweating, gasping. Cupid silently sat beside him, materializing a goblet of wine. Ares took it and drained it in a single gulp. Then he threw the goblet across the room and put his foredhead down on his knees.

After a few moments, he felt Cupid patting his back, and sat up. Turning dark eyes to his son, he whispered. "I... I did that?"

"No, Dad," said Cupid quietly. "No. Cezzano did it, and he's paying." A ghost of a smile flitted over Cupid's face. "Strife saw to that himself. But Dad," he took his father's hand, squeezing it. "You made mistakes. We all have, with Strife. And we need to change. I am. I love him, and I'm going to do everything I can to help him be whole again, but I can't do it alone."

Ares wasn't crying--he WASN'T--but his eyes itched, and the wiped them quickly. "You won't have to." He stood up quickly. "I have to talk to him." He hurried out to the garden, Cupid close behind him.

Strife was sitting on the grass near Joxer, knees drawn up to his chest, arms wrapped around them. Ares came up behind him and just stood there for a moment, looking down at his nephew. He had so much to say, and he'd never been good at words. He was a man of action, damn it. Strife sensed him, and looked back apprehensively. Ares took action. He bent down and hugged Strife. Strife stiffened, and then the words came. "I didn't know. Strife, I swear to Zeus I didn't know. I thought he was just going to slap you around some, maybe break a bone at the worst. And later when he started being more open with his... his atrocities, I'd forgotten. And you didn't seem so bad afterwards, and you never said anything. If I had known..."

Strife tore himself away from Ares, his expression pained and incredulous. He stared at Cupid. "You told him?"

Cupid shook his head. "I showed him. I just told him to take a look in my mind. It's there now, too, Strife."

"Shit!" Strife screamed. He dropped to the grass, rolling up into a tight ball, starting to shake. "Get Bliss outta here! Get him out, before I contaminate him, too!"

Ares was horrified. Strife was worried that he'd hurt Bliss? He'd never... And then Ares remembered his own concerns about Strife around Joxer, and added shame to the unpleasant emotions he was already feeling. "Strife..."

Joxer had gotten up. "Don't, Ar," he whispered. Mjau had jumped up on the chair for a better view of what was going on, and Joxer plucked him up. Cupid had sunk down to sit beside Strife, watching him with sad, worried eyes. "Get Bliss and let's go in. They need to be alone for a little while."

Bliss had come from across the garden when he heard Strife yell, and now he was buried in his father's wings, peeking out at Strife, his tiny face scrunched up, near tears. Ares gently tugged him away. "Come with us, Bliss."

"But Stwife..."

"Strife is upset. He'll be all right." Ares picked him up and started for the temple.

"Daddy take care of him?" Bliss asked plaintively.

Ares glanced back. Cupid had laid a hand on Strife's back, and was stroking him gently. Ares could see that the Mischief God's shaking had already begun to lessen. "Yes, Bliss. I think your Daddy will take good care of him." He turned and carried Bliss in. "Better care than he's ever had before."

Part 25: In-Laws: Actual and Future

"Gran'pa," said Bliss solemnly.

The little boy had been troubled after leaving his father and Strife in the garden. He'd cuddled on Ares' lap, plugging his thumb in his mouth and twirling the fingers of his other hand in his curls. "What is it, Bliss?"

"You gots to be nice to Stwife."

Ares heaved a sigh. "I'm trying, Bliss. I'm going to try very hard."

Bliss nodded. "Cause if he's sad, the baby will be sad, too."

Ares glanced at Joxer, who shrugged. "Bliss, my baby is just fine."

"Not your baby. Stwife's baby."

"Strife doesn't have a baby," Ares said almost absently. "None that we know of, anyway."

"He don't gots a baby right now, silly. I mean the one he's GONNA have in his tummy. The one him an' Daddy are gonna make together."

Ares blinked hard. "Where did you get an idea like that?"

"I dweamed it. Just like I dweamed Joxie had a baby in his belly." He gave Ares a smug look. "I was right."

Ares looked stunned. "Yes, you were. You dreamed this?"

Bliss held up two fingers. "This many."

Ares looked at Joxer, who shook his head. "Don't look at me. This is even newer to me than it is to you, you know that." He smiled quietly at Ares. "But if I can get pregnant by you, I see no reason why Strife couldn't get pregnant by Cupid. I think that loving each other may have a lot to do with increased fertility in these cases, and I also believe they qualify." He smiled. "They'll be great fathers." Ares gave him a skeptical look. "Don't start that. Remember, you're turning over a new leaf. You've seen how Strife is with Bliss."

"I love Stwife," said Bliss complacently. "Daddy loves Strife. They's gonna have a baby, an' I'se gonna be a big brother." He sighed happily.

Ares' smile was only a touch reluctant. "Have it all figured out, do you?" Bliss nodded. Ares hugged him. "From your lips to the ears of the Fate, Bliss."

A Couple of Days Later

"Ares, I enjoy the hell out of all that you do for me, really I do, but we don't know how I'm going to deliver this baby. There's a chance it may come out, uh, the same way it got there." Ares lifted one eyebrow. Joxer shifted uncomfortably on the bed. "Right. Hurts just thinking of it. And that means that after I have the baby, Tartarus knows how long it will be before we can... you know... again. So," he put his hands on Ares' shoulders and gazed levelly into his eyes, "if I don't get fucked at least one more time before I have this baby, you can pretty well figure on not getting any for awhile even AFTER I get Apollo's go-ahead."

Ares blinked. "Damn. I knew you were horny, but..." He touched Joxer's swollen belly gently. "Jox, I can't get close enough to you face to face, and if we try to do it kneeling there's the chance your knees might give out and drop you on the baby."

Joxer squeezed his eyes shut in disappointment. "I just wanted once more."

He felt Ares kiss him. "Did I say it was impossible? No. It just takes a little effort and arrangement. Let me consider this for a moment." Ares sat and pondered. Finally he said, "Well, it won't be exactly wild and abandoned, but I think we can do it without making you so uncomfortable that it outweighs the pleasure."

Ares stood, putting one arm around Joxer's shoulders, and slipping the other under his legs. "Lean sideways. We're going to get you laid out on your side." They did a little careful maneuvering. Once Joxer was on his side, Ares materialized a large number of pillows. He moved around Joxer, tucking in pillows here and there, making sure that his belly was carefully supported. "Comfortable?"

"Yeah, actually. But it's going to be hard to make out fully clothed..." *Flash* He and Ares were both naked. He grinned. "Silly me."

Ares climbed on the mattress behind him. "Just relax, Joxer. Stay as still as you can. These props and braces are as firm as I can get them, but pillows have been known to slip." Ares lay on his side also, and moved up behind his husband, embracing him.

They cuddled together for long moments. Ares slowly and sensually massaged Joxer's shoulders, back, flanks, and belly, relaxing him thoroughly. The fact that he turned both of them on in the process was a definite bonus. Soon they were both hard. Ares oiled Joxer with a thought, then carefully and lovingly stretched him, preparing him for their joining. Finally he stuffed a few more pillows between Joxer's legs, making it easier for him to raise one a little, then moved up close behind his lover. Holding Joxer's hips he said, "Tell me if there's any discomfort." He slowly started to slide in. Joxer hummed, and Ares stopped. "Is anything wrong?"

"As a matter of fact, there is."

"I KNEW it! What is it?"

"YOU STOPPED MOVING! Ares, C'MON."

"He's snarking--he must be all right." Ares continued till he was fully embedded in Joxer's body. He paused a second, smiling when he felt Joxer give him an internal squeeze. He pumped slowly, shallowly. Joxer crooned. "Yeah, I think this is going to work out."

"Dad?" The voice calling from the living room of their quarters was familiar. "Joxie?"

Ares put his head against Joxer's back and snarled--loudly. Joxer groaned, then said, "We have to go out. You know what kind of stuff is going on with Cupid and Strife right now. Better we go out than one of them comes in to find us."

Ares pulled out and dressed both of them with a thought. "No one, NO ONE told me this might happen when I became a father."

Joxer managed a smile as Ares helped him to his feet. "Of course not. How many people would go ahead and reproduce if they knew what having kids would do to their love life?" So, flushed and a little breathless, they made their way out to the living room.

Cupid and some woman were sitting on one of the sofas. Joxer took a closer look, and exchanged a look with Ares. Cupid and Strife--Strife in drag. *There has to be a story here,* Joxer thought as Ares helped him get settled on the other sofa, *But I'll be darned if I'll ask. I don't need a strong laughing fit this close to my due date.*

Cupid cleared his throat and said, "How..."

Ares' voice was tart. "Spoon fashion. What brings you here, son?"

"Dad, when you were looking after Bliss yesterday, did he tell you about his dream?"

"Yes, he did."

Joxer cradled his belly, and gave Strife a smile full of compassion, understanding--and kinship. It made Strife even more nervous than usual. "Kids have crazy dreams. Don't mean a thing."

Ares shrugged. "I have to agree with Strife. Just because I dreamed that Gabrielle grew a long, bushy tail, it doesn't mean it's going to happen."

"Dad, he dreamed it twice, he told me this morning."

Everyone looked at Strife. "Stop it. So he dreamed it twice? So what twice."

"Strife, there's something that we haven't voiced around Olympus," Ares said slowly. He laid his hand on Joxer's swollen tummy, and Joxer put a hand over his. "Bliss dreamed about Joxer getting pregnant. At first we thought it was just the Chaos Stone. That's how Joxie got pregnant, you know. But we've discussed it, and came to the conclusion that it was granting wishes. He squeezed Joxer's hand, and received a smile. "Joxer has always sort of wanted a child. When we got together," he kissed Joxer's hand, "he wanted to have one with me. Well, Bliss dreamed about Joxer having a baby when no one knew but your grandmother. We figured it was the Chaos Stone's way of granting Joxer's wish for someone to share the knowledge. We figured that the Stone had chosen Bliss because he'd be a comfort to Joxie, but no one was likely to take him seriously. With this, it looks like Bliss may actually be precognizant."

Strife jumped up and started pacing. His toga switched fetchingly about his ankles. "I don't see it. Anyway, I know what causes it, an' there's not a chance. Unless you're Zeus an' can spontaneously generate, it takes two ta tango, an' there's been none of that." Joxer smiled, an' Unc smirked. "Well, yeah, there's been some of that, but not what it would take."

"It isn't necessarily that you're pregnant already," Cupid offered. "It could be a prophetic dream."

"Ain't gonna happen."

Joxer noticed the sudden, sad look on Cupid's face, and said, "Well, there's no reason why you should worry about it. He dreamed about me three times before I was really certain about it, and three seems to be the significant number in these things. But Strife, if you're really worried about the possibility of being pregnant or getting pregnant, should you be dressed as a woman?"

He looked blank for a moment, then glanced down at his garments. "Oh." There was a flash, and he was dressed in his usual tight leather. "Ya know, it's actually pretty comfortable. I see a lot of possibilities for inventin torture devices for them. Tell me whatcha think of this name: pantyhose."

They thought. Cupid said, "I don't know why, but the very word makes me feel uncomfortable."

"Cool."

Joxer wiggled back against Ares. He must've moved against a significant spot, because Ares tightened his arms around his husband and nuzzled his ear. Strife proved that he was just as sensitive to social situations as anyone by elbowing Cupid. "Ain't it time we was toodlin off, cuz?"

"We don't have to leave right... OW! Damn, you've got sharp elbows!"

"Cupe, I know this is difficult, but think way, way back ta when we first arrived here." Cupid gave him a 'yes?' look. Strife rolled his eyes, then made a very crude hand gesture which would survive down through the centuries to indicate intercourse.

Cupid's eyebrows shot up, and he looked quickly at the other couple. Joxer smiled. Ares scowled. "Sorry to run, Pops. See you two in a couple of days." He grabbed Strife's hand and they flashed out.

"I love that boy, and I know he has a good mind," said Ares, "but sometimes he's as thick as one of Hestia's frying pans." He squeezed Joxer. "Still interested?" Joxer gave him a flat look. "Right. Heave-ho." He helped Joxer up and they made their way back to the bedroom. Enough groping occurred along the way to make it clear to both of them that yes, indeed, both of them WERE still interested.

The interest lasted while Joxer was once again comfortably and safely arranged. Once again Ares moved up closely behind Joxer, then entered him with one long, smooth stroke. Joxer started to push back, but Ares held his hips, whispering, "No. Joxer, hold still, and just let me take care of you. This is for you."

"But Ares, I want to make it good for you."

Ares bit lightly at his shoulder. "Love, it can't help but be good for me. I'm with you."

The joining was long, slow, and gentle. It was the physical expression of a love that might have come suddenly, but had taken root and grown deep and strong. When they'd both found release Ares cleaned them with a thought, and they moved once again into each other's arms. Joxer drifted off to sleep, his head on Ares' chest, and a look of soft contentment on his face.

Ares spent some time playing with Joxer's soft, dark hair, thinking. He tried to imagine Cupid and Strife in a situation like this. It was easy to imagine them tumbled together after a bout of hard, sweaty sex, but... Ares frowned, and found that he COULD imagine Strife and Cupid just holding each other, looking peaceful and complete. He tightened his arms around Joxer, receiving a sleepy, questioning murmur. "Sh. I'm just thinking."

"Bout what?"

"Cupid and Strife together."

"And?"

"I've shocked myself. I think it could work."

Joxer, eyes still closed, smiled and rubbed his face against Ares. "I always said you were an intelligent man."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next day

Hermes appeared in the Halls of War. Ares and Joxer were sitting at table, just finishing dinner. Ares sighed and put down his spoon with a clatter. "Damn it, am I going to have to start putting up shields all the time?"

"Oh, so you don't want to hear about how Strife managed to haul his butt out of a crack?" asked Hermes innocently. "Fine, I'll just..."

"Sit down, Hermes," said Joxer. "Help yourself to wine." Ares looked at him. "Good news is worth a glass of wine."

Hermes smacked his lips. "Wonderful vintage. Bacchus gives you the good stuff, Ares."

"Hermes? Get on with whatever news you've brought if you don't want to wear that wine," said Ares bluntly.

"Well," Hermes sat forward in a conspiratorial manner. "Strife came up with the idea all on his own, and I have to admit it's a corker. But I suppose given his godhood, it's not surprising he'd be able to come up with something that bordered on the diabolical. Do you know what he did?"

"If we did, would you be sitting there?" Ares snapped.

"He had Anieli and Damara switch bodies, and then he used the Chaos stone to take them back to the wedding day and relive it--from each other's side!" He sat back, spreading his hands in a 'you see?' gesture.

Ares blinked. "It worked?"

Joxer was nodding. "Sure. Most of the problems of the world could be solved if people could just see things from different perspectives. You know, walk a mile in my sandals. That's wonderful!" His face crinkled. "But they won't have to spend time together now."

"That might not be a problem." Hermes leered. "I understand they disappeared together pretty quickly." He stood up. "Thanks for the wine. Gotta go. Gossip to sprea... I mean, news to disseminate." He disappeared.

Ares eyed Joxer. "You're grinning like Cerberus when Hades turns him loose on a fresh batch of the damned in Tartarus."

Joxer shrugged. "I'm just hoping that we'll be invited to the ceremony."

"What ceremony?" Joxer gave him a look. "Joxer, what..." Light dawned. The idea didn't appall him, like he'd expected it to. "Do you really think they'll go that far?"

"Yes," said Joxer with quiet conviction.

"And you think this because?"

"Because Cupid looks at Strife the way you look at me."

Ares nodded. "I just hope it isn't a big ceremony. I don't want to listen to you fussing because your dress robes don't hang right."

Joxer threw a piece of bread at Ares. It was all right, though--Ares had gotten good at ducking during the mood swings.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Cupid and Strife appeared in the Halls of War the next day. Joxer was alone, reading a scroll, and he looked up in pleasure to greet them. They were holding hands again, and this time they didn't drop them when they sat down. "Hello, you two. Ares is discussing tactics with Discord in his study."

"That's great," said Cupid. "It'll save us having to hunt around for them." He gave Strife's hand a quick squeeze. "I'll be right back."

Strife nodded, and his eyes followed Cupid as he left the room. Then he looked back at Joxer, who was grinning at him. Strife blushed. "Yah, right. Is it tattooed on my forehead?"

Joxer laughed. "No. It's just that love isn't all that easy to conceal--not when it's real."

"It's real, all right." Strife bounced up and seated himself next to Joxer quickly. "Geez, Jox! I can't get ovah it! Cupid is so... so..." His hands were waving in animation.

Joxer caught them, stilling them. "I know. So... You have something to tell us?" Strife just grinned madly. "I'm happy for you."

Cupid, Ares, and Discord came back into the room. Cupid was saying, "You can argue the comparative merits of sieges against blitzes any time, Dis. This is important."

She was scowling at Ares. "I don't know what could be important enough for you to allow an interruption like that, short of a major war breaking out--and we would have sensed that."

"I think I know what this is about, Sis, and if I'm right, it's pretty important." Ares went and sat on Joxer's other side. Strife was looking away, his nervousness seeming to have returned. "Strife," he said quietly. Strife looked over questioningly. "I think I'd like to hear this bit of news from you."

"Me?" It was almost a squeak.

Ares nodded. His smile was small, and stern, but it was still a smile. "You've moved up in the ranks, boy. You're going to have to do a lot of things, even when you aren't entirely comfortable with them." He gave Strife a scowl, but it was obvious that it was affected. "Aren't you HAPPY about the news?"

"Tartarus, yeah!" Strife straightened up proudly and flashed a brilliant grin at Cupid, who nodded. "Me an' Cupe are gettin hitched."

Discord's jaw dropped onto her chest. "Say WHAT?"

Strife gave her a firm look. "Married. I'm of age, an' it's what we both want."

Discord looked at Ares. "Say something!"

He shrugged, then reached across Joxer to shake Strife's hand. "Congratulations. Can I assume it's going to be a short engagement?"

"Is tomorrow too soon for you to be able to attend?" asked Cupid.

"Wait a minute," Eris protested. "Something like this ought to be thought over. I mean, sex is one thing, but actually tying the knot? Strife, haven't you learned anything from me?"

Strife's voice was soft. "Yah, Ma. I have. I dunno what my dad was like, but I know for damn sure that Cupe isn't like 'im. I love Cupe. I love Bliss. I WANT this." His expression darkened a little, and the nearly insane determination that the House of War was famous for flickered in his eyes. "I'm gonna have it."

Eris was taken aback. While she was familiar with that look from the inside, Strife had never turned it on her before. Strife meant business. "Huh. Well, I don't expect to lay out much money on anniversary gifts."

Strife was't fazed, and Joxer felt very proud of his growing confidence. "Fine. Save up an' give us somethin REALLY nice fah our centuary celebration. We talked ta Hera, and she's agreed that we don't hafta have a big to-do."

Cupid came over and put his hands on Strife's shoulders. "It's going to be a very small ceremony--only CLOSE relatives. We're inviting Mom, Heph, and you three." He smiled. "Bliss has claimed the combined roll of flower child and ring bearer. Hera will perform the ceremony." He rolled his eyes, "And there's no way we can keep Zeus away if he wants to come, but that's all."

Strife giggled. "Tha feelins of 'I don't hafta go, what a relief' an' 'What? They din't invite ME?!' clashin with each otha is gonna give me a Tartarus of a buzz."

"When is this going to be?" asked Ares.

"Clear your calendar for tomorrow," said Cupid cheerfully. "Gotta go. We still need to arrange baby sitting for Bliss for our honeymoon."

Joxer perked up. "I could..."

"No, you couldn't," Ares said firmly. At Joxer's mulish look he said, "I know you'd try, and normally I'd have no hesitation. But Joxer, you're in your last month. In this case I'm not saying you wouldn't be up to taking care of Bliss. I'm saying you're my husband, you're pregnant with my child, and there are certain physical limitations to what you can do safely now. Please don't argue with me on this."

The annoyance melted from Joxer's expression, and he gave Cupid and Strife an apologetic smile. "After the baby is born..."

"I'll be undafoot," Strife promised. "Aftah all," he giggled, "kids are mine, ya know. 'Specially at two o'clock feedins."

Seeking Balance, 26

Cupid was shaking his head, "Strife, it's too late to invite them."

"So who needs ta invite?" He giggled. "We just snatch 'em up. I mean, it ain't like it'd be tha first time, right?"

Cupid, Strife, Ares, and Joxer were gathered at the side of one of Hera's smaller audience chambers. Hephastus was sitting, placidly drinking a cup of wine, while he watched his wife trying to persuade Bliss that pink was a very appropriate color for a flower boy/ring bearer.

At the front of the room, Hera and Zeus were sitting side by side. Hera was tapping one foot, her expression saying that she wasn't far from losing her temper. Zeus was narrowly watching the quartet at the side of the room. "This isn't right," said Cupid in a low voice. "It's our wedding. Hera agreed that it didn't have to be a state ceremony. We should be allowed to invite just who we want. I can't believe that Zeus is insisting that we invite Hercules."

"Ya can't? I can believe it with no trouble a'tall," said Strife. He hooked an arm around Cupid's shoulders and whispered, "Look, cuz, it ain't too hard ta figure out his reasonin. He was easy ta get along with when Unc stood up an' claimed Joxer, an' now he's worried that he's gonna look like a wuss if he doesn't make some sorta demand he knows will piss off a good numbah of people." He squeezed Cupid. "Let's give 'im this without a fuss." Strife grinned. "I'm kinda looking forward ta tha reaction. I'm pretty sure it won't match..." he got a glazed look on his face and said in a stunned tone, "Joxer?" His expression returned to its usual puckish intelligence. "But this should come close. An' if it'll make ya feel any bettah," he giggled, "we can add a coupla more ta tha guest list that oughta twist his toga up pretty good."

Cupid had started to smile, almost reluctantly. "I'm afraid to ask."

"Ah, c'mon--I'm not THAT hard ta figure out." He glanced at Ares. "Unc, don'tcha think it would be well within reason fah Cupid ta wanta have his sistah attend his weddin?"

Ares groaned. "But if Xena comes, she'd want to bring Gabrielle. And Gabrielle..." Strife was grinning. "Gabrielle pisses Zeus off just as much, if not more, as anyone else. Ooo, I'll be glad when your honeymoon is over and I can get you back to helping with the plotting and machinations. But if we're going to have Xena and her bimbo, we ought to let Hercules bring a *cough* 'date'."

"Oh, absolutely." Strife was nodding vigorously.

"Sure," said Cupid. "I have no problems with Iolaus. He's been a great little energy generator for Mom and myself." Cupid held up a finger. "But that's ALL. I don't want this to be a circus."

Strife snapped his fingers. "Guess I bettah tell tha clowns not ta show."

"No need for them. We've already decided we're having Hercules and Gabrielle."

Ares rolled his eyes. "You're rubbing off on him, Strife."

Strife fluttered his eyelashes innocently. "I refuse ta answer that on tha grounds that I'm not s'posed ta discuss my sex life right before tha ceremony."

"I'm looking forward to this, sorta," said Joxer. His hands were cupped almost under his belly, supporting it. This seemed to be his common posture when he stood these days--either that, or one hand on belly, the other pressed to the small of his back. "I was barely showing the last time they saw me."

Ares was scowling. Strife whispered to him, "Let Gabby make one remark about his weight, an' I'll send her home tha natural way. I'll just punt her skinny ass off tha side of Olympus."

They walked up to the thrones. Cupid inclined his head, and said, "We will bring Hercules here to witness the ceremony."

Zeus nodded regally. "I'm pleased that you realized..."

"We will also bring Iolaus, Xena, and Gabrielle."

Zeus didn't quite do a double take. Strife smiled at him. "Thanks fah givin tha go ahead ta have a little longah guest list. It was real big of ya."

Now Zeus could either accept the praise for something that was finagled around his wishes, or protest, and be shown up for his manipulations. His response wasn't surprising. "*harumph* Yes, it was rather a good idea. After all, you don't want it to look as if this is a sneak marriage. Ares, if you will bring in Xena and her... friend, I will bring Hercules and Iolaus." Zeus put a finger to his forehead, closing his eyes in concentration.

Hera snorted softly. "Like you don't keep closer tabs on him than merchants keep on Autolycus when he's browsing."

"Xena and Gabrielle are staying at the Freebitch Tavern," offered Joxer. When he was given a questioning look, he said, "They're having a lyric poetry contest in the neighborhood, and the proprietress of the tavern has a huge crush on Xena. She always gives them a special rate."

"Allow me," said Ares. "Since Xena is my blood, it's a lot easier for me to track her than anyone else here." He didn't make as much of a show of it as Zeus. He simply looked thoughtful, then flicked his hand. There was a brief crackle of energy, a red flash, and Xena and Gabrielle appeared in the middle of the room.

Xena was looking bored. Gabrielle must've been sitting at a table, because she plopped butt first onto the floor, still clutching a quill. Xena's hand went automatically to her chakram, but it dropped when she spotted Joxer, and a smile lighted her face. Gabrielle, apparently, didn't see anything that put her in a better mood. She jumped up, squawking. "How DARE you just snatch a person! This is kidnapping! This is an insult! This is an outrage! This is..."

"This is a wedding," said Ares bluntly. "We're waiting on Hercules and Iolaus. Once they're here, the ceremony won't take long. It's only right for Xena to be here, and since she gets grouchy if you aren't along," he rolled his eyes, "Tartarus if I can tell why, we brought you along, too. Now, just shut up." "

"Ares, of all the high-handed, arrogant stunts that you've pulled, this takes the cake!"

He sighed. "I don't know why I thought she'd shut up." Joxer patted his shoulder sympathetically.

"I was right in the middle of working on my entry for the poetry contest. I've already gotten my choral lyric perfected, but I'm still working on my personal lyric. I can't decide between dedicating it to Apollo or Athena, and... Wedding? Who's getting married?" Cupid held up his hand. Gabrielle looked like someone had just handed her a sack of dinars. "The Love God is getting MARRIED!" She shredded her quill in her excitement. "Now I'll have an exclusive theme for my poem. I'm SURE to win! Oh, this is WONDERFUL."

She was suddenly spun around, and Strife planted a big, juicy kiss on her. "Yer SO sweet ta say so! An' here I thought ya didn't wish me well." Her eyes bugged out. Her mouth opened wide as Strife took a step back, and everyone in the room braced for an earsplitting screech. There WAS a sound, but it was tiny--almost subsonic. Strife cupped a hand to his ear. "Hark, I do believe we got bat." He strolled over to Cupid and looped his arms around his neck. "Cupie, I got an awful taste in my mouth fah some reason. Anythin ya can do about it?" Cupid kissed him deeply, with lots of tongue. Strife smacked his lips. "Much bettah. Thanks. Hey, Ruler an' High Muckity Muck, ain'tch located ol' Stick-up-his-Ass yet?"

Zeus sat up suddenly, scowling. "WHAT?"

Strife gave him an innocent look. "I said ain'tcha located ol' This-to-Shall-Pass?"

"Yes, I have." He waved his hand. Hercules and Iolaus appeared before his throne. "Hello, son."

Hercules nodded, while Iolaus lost no time in going over to schmooz with Aphrodite. "Hi, Dad. What's up?"

"Well, we're having an outbreak of divine matrimony on Olympus. First Ares, now Cupid."

Hercules smiled. "Really? That's great!" He walked over to Cupid and clapped him on the shoulder, shaking his hand. "Who's the lucky lady?"

Strife clasped his hands primly and fluttered his eyelashes. "Me."

The hero's smile froze in place, and he was absolutely silent. Iolaus came over. "Hey, congratulations, you two! Love and Mischief together--now that's a natural combination if I ever heard of one. Isn't it terrific, Herc?"

Hercules blinked. "Strife?"

Iolaus sighed. "Fuck. Here we go again."

Joxer said, "Ar, do you think anyone would mind if I sat down during the ceremony?" He'd acquired a nice tan from relaxing in the garden the last couple of months, but now he was looking a little pale.

Ares materialized a chair and helped him into it. "If anyone DID mind, do you think I'd give a flying fuck? Are you all right? Do I need to call Ace or Apollo?"

"No, no. Just a little tired." He smiled. "All the excitement, I guess."

Ares looked up at his parents. "As much as I'd like my son's union given due respect, can we get on with this?"

Cupid spoke up. "But Eris isn't here yet. We should wait..."

Strife laid a hand on his arm. "Cupe? Bettah not ta wait." Cupid gave him a concerned look, and Strife shrugged. There was a touch of resignation in his voice. "I'm gettin what I want t'day, whether she's here or not."

Hera stood. "Let's do this, then." She cocked an eyebrow at Cupid and Strife as everyone scrambled to get into position. "You may be one of the oddest couples I've ever joined..." she hesitated, then seemed to decide on something, "but I have a good feeling about this, Fates know why." She smiled down at Bliss. "Are you ready, dear?" He nodded vigorously, holding up a basket of white rose petals to show her. "Go ahead."

Cupid and Strife were standing side-by-side before Hera. Bliss skipped back and forth before them, tossing handfuls of petals with admirable enthusiasm. He went around the couple, tossing more petals at them, chanting, "Dah-dee's marryin Stwi-fee! Dah-dee's marryin Stwi-fee!" He finished off by pitching handfuls directly at their faces. He wouldn't have been able to get enough distance, except that he was so excited that he was flapping his wings, stirring the petals up into a cloud. When the basket was empty and he retired to stand beside Aphrodite to one side, Cupid and Strife both had rose petals drifted in their hair.

Hera started to speak, but there was an abrupt crackle. The entire group looked back in time to see Eris appear at the very back of the room. She glared at them all silently, as if daring anyone to speak. Her eyes met Strife's. She saw the surprise and pleasure in her son's expression, and something flickered in her eyes. It came and went too fast to be interpreted, but it had been there.

Hera said quietly, "Now that we have all assembled." Her tone was a clear call for attention, and everyone turned back to her. "It was not long ago that we gathered to celebrate another joyful occasion, another marriage. This is one instance in which I pity my followers. How many mortal women not only see their children wed, but live to see their grandchildren take a spouse," she smiled at Bliss, "and later still their great-grandchildren." He wrinkled his nose at her. "You'll change your mind some day, little one."

She looked back at Cupid and Strife. "To many this union may seem hasty. Some might council that you take more time, so that you might be sure of this connection you feel." She smiled at Cupid. "Foolish, aren't they?" He returned the smile. "As Love himself well knows, there is no set time on these things. True love can come in a flash, or it can grow gradually, over a lifetime. I think that here we have a little of both. I remember you two as boys. You were together always," she rolled her eyes, "much to the annoyance of most of the Pantheon. Strife wasn't the only mischief magnet. Cupid, you could definitely give him a run for his money. Then time and life seemed to move you apart. That first bond may have been stretched a little thin, but it never broke, and now... Now it is as strong as I have ever seen, shining between a couple standing before me." She looked around the room, her eyes touching everyone. "This is right. This is what has to be, and will be."

She looked to the couple again. "You have told me that you choose to exchange tokens, to symbolize your commitment." They nodded. "Do so now."

Cupid called, "Bliss?"

Bliss took a small wooden box from Hephastus, and carried it carefully over to his father. Offering it up, he said, "Here, Daddy. I din't drop it."

"No, you didn't. Now, stand still and hold it for just a little bit longer, okay? Once Strife and I both have our rings, you can go back and stand with Dite."

"Okay." He held the box a little higher.

Cupid opened the lid, reached in, and withdrew a small, bright ring. Strife leaned forward, and winked at Bliss. The little boy giggled, but didn't drop the box as the Mischief God reached in and extracted a second ring. Then he closed the lid and said, "Ya done good, kiddo. Now, scram." Bliss giggled again, snapped the box shut, and trotted back to the side.

Hera said, "Hold out the rings, you two. They did, and she held her hand over them. "You have chosen these rings as outward symbols of your devotion and commitment to each other. As the Goddess of Marriage, I bless them. Exchange them, and speak your vows."

Cupid took Strife's left hand and slipped the ring on, then held it. Looking deep into Strife's eyes, he said quietly. "Once I thought I had found love, but I grew to understanding. I can't regret it," he threw a warm glance at his son, "because one of my greatest joys was the result. And the loneliness and pain I felt afterwards prepared me to recognize the real love that I'd been overlooking for so long. I love you, Strife. I think I always have, deep down. If you're willing to forgive me for the years of stubborn ignorance, I'm ready to spend from now till eternity showing you just how much you mean to me."

Strife lifted Cupid's hand, kissing it, then slipped his own ring on Cupid's finger. "I ain't all that good with words, 'cept when I'm tryin ta bamboozle someone." He shook his head. "That ain't happenin here, so don't be surprised if I'm less than eloquent. Truth doesn't always sound as pretty as lies. I love ya, Cupe. I've loved ya for a long, long time, but I kept tellin myself that nothin was evah gonna come of it." His smile was a little pained. "Ain't easy ta believe in some things, but ya made a believer outta me. I believe ya love me. I believe ya mean fahevah. I believe I'm gonna take ya up on yer suggestion. Ya ain't gettin rid of me." He looked at Hera. "Your turn."

"Thank you so much," she said dryly. "Hold out your hands." The two extended their left hands, the new rings glinting in the torchlight. She held up her own hands, and a golden cord and silver dagger appeared. Hera made a quick, short slice across each man's palm. As the blood began to well out she said, "In the mortal world, the giving and receiving of rings is enough, but divinities are held to higher standards. We bond in blood. You will save this dagger as a reminder of that." Ares stepped forward and took the dagger, as Strife had done for him at his wedding. "Hold hands, young ones." Cupid and Strife clasped hands tightly, pressing their wounded palms together.

Hera moved quickly, lashing their forearms together, from wrist to elbow. "Here your blood mingles in the most basic and obvious of ways." She gave Cupid, then Strife a shrewd look, then said quietly, "There are deeper, more profound ways of blood bonding." She glanced at Joxer, her eyes resting on where his hand moved restlessly over his belly, and her gaze softened. "As we have proof." She looked back at Cupid and Strife. "Who's to say that other bonding might be in the future? We can only hope." She stepped back, her tone becoming once more official. "Cupid, Strife--take this moment to think about what you are promising to each other. Know once and for all that you belong to each other." She raised her hands. "All others here, stand silent witness to this joining."

Silent seconds ticked by. Strife and Cupid gazed into each other's eyes, and Strife later said that he could have been dive bombed by Harpies while Cerberus chewed on his butt, and he wouldn't have noticed. Finally Hera stepped forward and quickly untied the cord, handing it to Ares as well. "This cord symbolizes all that binds you two together. Keep it also, as a reminder." She smiled faintly. "Though I have to admit, I really don't think you two will need a reminder." She healed their cuts, then materialized a basin of water and washed away the blood. "All barriers between you are cut, let any doubt about your love be washed away, and come away from this moment with a fresh, new life--together. Face your guests as you will now face the world--together." The two turned, clasping hands again, and Hera said, "I present to you Cupid, God of Romantic Love, and Strife, God of Mischief--now and forever mates in all things."

There was an excited squeal, and Bliss pelted over to throw himself at Strife's legs. "I gotta new daddy! I gotta new daddy!"

Strife laughed, picking him up to swing him around. "Ya sure do, kid! Now there's two of us ta make ya clean yer room, take baths, eat green stuff..."

Bliss looked horrified. "Stwife!" Strife giggled, and Bliss joined him. "You so funny!"

Cupid took Bliss from Strife's arms. "Babe, Strife and I are going to be leaving in a minute." Immediately a plump baby lip was thrust out, quivering dangerously. "We'll only be gone a few days, and listen--since we won't be staying for a reception, you need to eat some cake and goodies for us to celebrate."

The lip stopped quivering. "Ice cweam?"

"I wouldn't be at all surprised. You're going to have to eat two bowls--one for you, and one for me and Strife."

Bliss shook his head. "Daddy, you and Stwife need a bowl each. I better eat THREE bowls."

"Makes sense ta me," said Strife.

Aphrodite took Bliss from Cupid. "Yes. You aren't the one who'll be sitting up with him when he gets a sore tummy." She kissed Cupid and Strife each on the cheek. "Get lost, you two. I'm getting buzzed just from the energy waves coming off you already."

Eris walked up to the front of the room. It grew quiet as she stared between Cupid and Strife silently. Finally she looked back at Cupid and said, "You know what happens if you hurt him, right?" Cupid nodded. Her scowl deepened. "The House of War has a reputation to uphold, you know. Wouldn't do to let one of our own..." She caught Strife's eyes. His expression was a little bewildered. She cleared her throat. "Yeah. Well..." She disappeared.

Strife and Cupid made their goodbyes to Ares and Joxer, then the demigods and humans. Xena hugged Cupid, while Iolaus shook Strife's hand. Gabrielle stiffly offered her hand to Strife. He ignored it in favor of giving her a huge hug and a sloppy kiss on the cheek, which left her rather shell-shocked. As they were flashing out, Cupid was heard to remark, "I don't understand you sometimes. I thought you said she made your skin crawl."

"An' I do tha same fah her. Was I gonna pass up an opportunity like that?"

Chapter Twenty-seven: Suddenly

Joxer blinked. "Is that a sheet Bliss is wearing?"

Ares looked, then grunted. "Yeah, I think so. Pink, so it's one of Dite's, of course. It's a good idea. Since she's going to be babysitting him, this way she won't have such a job getting him clean. The strawberry ice cream will hardly show up on the sheet at all."

"Yeah, but the chocolate is making a REAL mess. I haven't seen anything like that since the last time I knocked Gabrielle into a mud puddle."

Ares indicated the bowl Joxer was holding propped on his belly. "Speaking of chocolate, do you want me to get you some more chocolate sauce for your ice cream? I notice that you've eaten all you had."

"You're so thoughtful." Joxer handed over the bowl, and Ares got up. "Oh, and you might get a little strawberry ice cream, too, now that I think of it."

"Okay." He started off.

"And some whipped cream."

"Right. Anything else?"

"Maybe a sliced banana. You know, Apollo said those are good for me--all sorts of nutrients--whatever they are. I just know they taste better than broccoli."

"You didn't think so a couple of months ago." He started away again.

"And if there's any of those tiny chips of nut brittle left..."

"I'm just going to go around the table and get some of everything, like usual, okay?" Joxer grinned. Ares headed for the table where the sundae fixings were spread, shaking his head--but he was smiling.

Apollo, carrying his own bowl, came over and sat beside Joxer. "Getting plenty of food, I see." Joxer looked sheepish. "No, no, I'm not going to scold you. You're getting plenty of milk this way. How are you? I'll admit that I was a little hesitant about you coming to the ceremony. You don't need any more stress than you have to have."

"I'm okay. Tired, peeing more than I'd like, not sleeping as much as I'd like, but I understand that's pretty much to be expected."

"Hang in there, Joxer. You only have about four more weeks to go, give or take a day."

"I'm ready for it."

"Almost. You will be. That's something we need to talk about," Ares was approaching, and Apollo said, "and since Ares is here, too, this is as good a time as any."

Ares sat down beside Joxer again, handing him the bowl. Joxer sighed happily. "Extra cherries. Thanks." He dug in. "Apollo says he has something to talk to us about."

Ares looked at Apollo forebodingly. "Nothing's wrong?"

"No. I just need to talk to you both about what to expect in this last month. Joxer, it's very likely that you're going to start experiencing small abdominal cramps in a couple of weeks. As long as it's just one or two, and they aren't very strong, it's nothing to worry about. Of course if you have several strong ones, I'll want to hear about it immediately. We also need to talk about how this baby is going to get born. I'm sure you've been thinking about it."

Joxer looked up. There was a smear of cream at the corner of his lips. "Actually, I've been studiously AVOIDING thinking about it. I haven't been able to come up with any method that isn't uncomfortable enough to make my scalp prickle just considering it. For instance, I'm not going to... pass it, am I? The hemeroids were pretty damn awful when I had them, and now that they aren't bothering me, I'd hate to think..."

"That's far enough with that train of thought," said Ares. He reached out and gently wiped the cream off Joxer's mouth, then licked it off his finger. "I sincerely hope that isn't going to happen."

"No, no," said Apollo. "That would interfere and possibly damage a vital organ, so the chances of this happening are practically nil. The most likely scenario will have the baby exiting through the bellybutton."

Joxer's jaw dropped. He swallowed, then squeaked, "Pol, I haven't got the daintiest bellybutton around, but I still don't think a baby would fit through. And besides... isn't it closed off? I mean, I've never actually tried to find out," he frowned, "Wait. I might have once when I was really, really drunk. Anyway, I never came to any conclusion about it."

"Joxer, I'm operating on the theory that since the bellybutton marks where a person's own umbilical cord was attached, it would be the most natural birth exit in a case like yours."

Ares was frowning. "I'm hearing words like 'theory' and 'chances', and I don't like that."

"Well, I'm sorry, Ar, but that's just the way it is. We've come a long way in medicine, but it's still more of an art than a science, and it's likely to remain that for some time to come. Plain mortals in mundane situations are unpredictable enough. Here we have a mortal-made-god who is pregnant. We just don't have any precedent for this."

The frown deepened to a scowl. "I don't like it."

"I don't blame you, but I don't know what else to say."

"Isn't there anything you can do?"

"I'll be honest--I'm reluctant to do anything to interfere unless there seems to be some sort of danger or difficulty. Whatever I do might have unforeseen repercussions."

"Nothing? We just have to wait and see?"

Apollo sighed. "I've been thinking about it. There's the gender switch potion that Aphrodite made to help Strife, but I have no idea how that would affect the baby. Of course, once the birth is done, we could give you both the antidote. We'd probably need to wait at least a few months--maybe a year or two--for the baby, since it IS a bit of a strain on the constitution."

Joxer frowned. "Look, I don't care if it's a boy or a girl, but it IS a boy or a girl now, and I don't think it would be fair to change it. Besides that, I want my baby to be HEALTHY. I'm not going to do anything that might be hard on it."

"That's what I think, too, but I had to tell you about the option. There's one other possibility I've thought of. You know Hermaphroditus--Hermes and Dite's kid?" Ares and Joxer nodded. "Well, you know that at his request they spelled that pool where the nymph grabbed him."

"Oh, I know, all right," said Ares. "I have it marked on my maps with a big skull and crossbones. You aren't suggesting that Joxer bathe there, are you?"

"Do I look that stupid? No. But I was thinking what if we got some of the water and just applied it to the significant areas, very lightly? It might take more than one application, but I think that it would cause a vagina and birth canal to develop."

Joxer looked a little green, and set aside the bowl, which was still half full. "I don't want to have girlie parts. I mean, I like girls. They have nice voices, and they smell good, but I don't want to... I've always kinda enjoyed peeing standing up."

"You wouldn't have to keep it, Joxer," Apollo assured him.

"No? What would happen? It wouldn't just fall off, would it? I think that losing body parts isn't very nice. Lepers never look happy."

"No, Joxer, it wouldn't fall off. But I could sort of... repair it--with surgery."

Joxer closed his eyes. "Oh, yeah, that's better. Not."

"Look, these are possibilities. We don't have to have it set in cement. I'll keep thinking and looking around. We have a month." Apollo looked down at his bowl. "Damn it. My tutti-frutti has melted." He got up and went back to the table.

Joxer noticed Ares' worried expression. Ares had been so supportive, through all his mood swings and insecurities. Though he wasn't exactly at ease in his own mind, Joxer welcomed the chance to be supportive to his husband. He put his arm around Ares shoulders. "Don't worry. I'll start chucking down even more ambrosia."

Ares grunted. "You hate the stuff."

"I do. So hand me my ice cream--I need to eat as much good stuff as I can to counteract the taste."

Three Days After the Wedding

Joxer looked up from the scroll he was reading, a look of intense concentration on his face. *What was that? Was that a contraction?* He waited for the sensation to come again. It had been a brief tightening of muscles across his belly--he thought. Actually, now that he considered it, maybe he hadn't felt it. Apollo had told him that there might be 'false labor'--slight muscle spasms, sort of the body tuning itself up for the big event. He hadn't had any BEFORE Apollo mentioned them, so he had to admit to himself that it might very well just be his nerves. He sighed, resigning himself to waiting to see if it happened again.

Joxer decided that he'd go look for Mjau. The kitten had taken to seeking out odd places to hide, then ambush whoever walked by. More than one priest was nursing scratches on his calves. The ones who wore trousers weren't the target as often--it seemed that Mjau had a thing for swishing robes.

He stood up, and his tummy nudged the scroll off onto the floor. "Darn." He eyed the scroll, then looked speculatively at his belly. It had been quite a while since he'd tried to pick anything up off the floor. Ares, one of the priests, or someone else, usually picked up what he needed. The few times he'd dropped something he just let it lay. But his nesting instinct had kicked in a long time ago, and he just HATED leaving anything looking cluttered.

Joxer gripped the edge of the table and braced his feet wide apart. *I'll just try, and see how it goes. I can always stop.* He started to bend over, tightening his grip on his brace. *Oh, I don't think this is going to work. It feels like my belly is going to cut off my wind by crushing my chest. I think I'll just have to give up on this.*

He started to straighten up, and there was a sharp twinge at the base of his spine. He winced, instinctively putting his free hand back to press against it, and his balance shifted suddenly and awkwardly. His hand started to slip on the table. His eyes flew wide open in alarm, and he scrabbled for a better grip, one foot shifting in an attempt to regain his equilibrium. His toe caught against the edge of the carpet, and he started to fall.

It all happened so fast. Still, Joxer managed to react. He twisted hard, turning so that his swollen belly did not take the brunt of the fall--he fell on his side. His body thudded heavily to the stone floor, with his head smacking into the hard surface a second later. Before he lost consciousness, he reached out desperately, sending a mental shout that echoed across Olympus...

Every divinity, every demi-god, heard... FELT the call. Many prudently stayed where they were, knowing that they could be of no help, but others could not stay away. Aphrodite, in the process of painting her nails, leaped up, ashen faced. The bottle of enamel crashed to the floor, spilling a crimson stream that looked disturbingly like blood as the Love Goddess transported. Apollo and Ace, heads bent over an obscure parchment detailing divine births among other pantheons, looked up suddenly. Apollo looked at his son and said curtly, "I'll go. You make sure we're ready for every contingency. EVERY," and flashed away. Cupid and Strife, cuddling together, talking about nothing in particular, almost fell out of bed scrambling to get dressed and go. On Earth, a tavern full of Amazons were startled when Xena suddenly threw a tankard across the room, went outside, and started screaming for every divinity in creation to 'get me to Joxer--NOW!' Hercules was, for once, ignore d when he called on Zeus for the same reason. Zeus knew that his son meant well--and would be nothing but a hindrance in a situation like this.

The most dramatic response came from Ares.

He had been about to lace into one of his generals being lax on his information gathering, while Eris stood to one side, smirking. He had a firm grip on the man's shirtfront, lifting him up on his toes. They were so close that the sweat drops forming on the general's forehead were in danger of dripping on Ares' nose. The general was considering how few broken bones he could expect.

Ares was trying to decide what would be most effective without leaving the man disabled--men tended to be better about following a leader who had no physical weaknesses. Suddenly there was a sound... a FEELING, that tore through him. It was unmistakable, and it chilled him through.

//Ares! The baby...//

Ares shoved hard, disappearing even before the general crashed into the wall. Eris suddenly pale, was gone a split second later. The mortals in attendance had, of course, heard nothing. But there was much worried whisperings about what could be bad enough to make both Discord and War react so abruptly.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Apollo and Aphrodite appeared in the Halls of War almost simultaneously. When she saw Joxer crumpled on the floor, Aphrodite shrieked in distress. Apollo dropped to his knees beside the Peace God. Much later he'd wonder how he'd acquired the bruises on both knees. He took Joxer's pulse, then said quickly, "Don't panic, Dite. He's not dead."

"Oh, Joxie!" she moaned. She snatched a pillow off a sofa and crouched down, carefully lifting Joxer's head onto the cushion. "Pol, there's blood in his hair."

Ares and Eris flashed into the room. "Joxer!" Ares lunged toward his fallen husband. Apollo showed that he wasn't a coward--at least not when it came to doing his job. He leaped up and blocked Ares. Ares didn't hesitate. He jerked his sword from its scabbard. "Get out of my way!"

"DO YOU WANT TO KILL HIM?" Ares froze, sword half raised. "Put that away. Joxer might be in trouble. Do you want to kill his best chance?" The sword wavered. Apollo lowered his voice. "Brother, he's hurt, but I don't know how badly yet. Stay calm, and let me do what I can for him."

Eris stepped up silently, putting her hand over Ares'. Still staring past Apollo at Joxer, Ares allowed her to take the sword from his hand. As she laid it aside, Ares said hoarsely. "He's unconscious."

"It looks like he fell and banged his head. I noticed a tiny smear of blood on the floor. Ares, his breathing and pulse are good and strong. Are you going to stay calm enough to let me go examine him more thoroughly?"

Cupid and Strife had appeared as Apollo was speaking. Cupid went immediately to his father, putting a supportive hand on his shoulder. Ares glanced at him, his eyes dark with pain, and... Yes, fear. Fear for the man he loved. Cupid thought of Strife, and how he'd feel if anything happened to him. He thought he'd never understood his father so well. Ares looked back at Apollo, then nodded, crossing his arms.

Eris silently handed Strife the Sword of War. The Mischief God blinked at her in surprise. He never would have expected her to entrust him with the very totem of War. She whispered to him, "Put that somewhere. I think he may not be in his right mind for some time." Strife nodded, and disappeared to secrete the sword somewhere safe.

Apollo bent to examine Joxer again. "There's a lump, but I don't think there's a fracture. I don't like him being unconscious, though." Aphrodite materialized a small glass bottle, uncorked it, and handed it to Apollo. "You're an all right broad, Dite." He held the bottle under Joxer's nose. "C'mon, Joxie. Wakey, wakey, and tell us what happened."

Joxer inhaled sharply, and his eyes opened. "Ares..."

Ares moved swiftly, bending over him. "I'm here."

"I fell."

"I know, Joxer."

"I'm sorry."

Ares' voice was agonized. "Love, DON'T. It was an accident. Just let Apollo take care of you."

Joxer turned his eyes back to Apollo, and he said weakly, "The baby?"

"Stay still, Joxer." Apollo pushed up Joxer's loose tunic, and pressed his ear against Joxer's belly. After a moment, his expression cleared a little. "I can hear the baby's heart beating. I don't think it was hurt at all. It's a good thing you didn't fall face first."

"I turned," said Joxer.

Ares bent and pressed a kiss to Joxer's forehead. "You see, love? You protected our child."

Joxer suddenly winced. "Ow! Well, he must be mad at me. That kick was a BEAUT."

Apollo had his hands cupped against Joxer's belly, and his expression suddenly went stiff. "Joxer, are you sure that was a kick?"

"I... Well, I thought it was. But usually the kicks just feel like pressure, and like they're coming from deep inside. This one, though... It felt closer to the surface, and it HURT. Pol? Why are you looking worried?"

Ares' eyes flew to Apollo's face, and then Apollo said, "It felt like a contraction, but if that's all there is, there shouldn't be anything to worry about."

A hot ripple of pain passed over Joxer's abdomen. "OW! Contractions? But... but Pol... It's too SOON. The baby isn't supposed to come for weeks and weeks."

Ares reached out to grab Apollo's tunic. "DO SOMETHING."

"I intend to. First thing we have to do is get him over to my place. I left Ace preparing a room where he'll be comfortable, and I'll have anything I might need to help him."

Ares scooped Joxer into his arms, and Joxer squeaked with pain as another contraction hit him. Ares made a noise that was part snarl, part moan, and Joxer said weakly, "I'm okay."

Ares stood and prepared to flash, but Apollo said, "No, don't transport!"

"But..."

"We're only a few hundred yards from my place, Ares. You can carry him there. He doesn't need the added strain of transporting."

Cupid started off, eyes glittering with determination. "Follow me, Pop. Zeus help anyone who doesn't get out of the way fast enough."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hera and Zeus had gone directly to Apollo's quarters in the Halls of Intellect. They'd known they were right when they'd seen the priests dashing about frantically, ferrying supplies to and fro. Zeus surveyed the controlled chaos, then called sharply, "Hermes!" The Messenger of the Gods appeared immediately. He'd known he might be needed. "You know what's going on?" Hermes nodded. No need to waste time with superfluous words now. "I want you to get word to Joxer's priests. Have them rally his mortal worshippers to offer prayers, LOTS of prayers. He needs all the energy he can get."

"That won't take long," Hermes assured him. "Then I'll do the same with any other temple I can get to."

"Yes. If anyone is idiotic enough to try to decline since it isn't their domain, tell them that when War is involved, EVERYONG is involved." Hermes flashed out.

Ace came out to the antechamber at the same moment that Cupid preceded Ares and Joxer into the same room. Hera covered her mouth when she saw the sweet tempered God of Peace cradled in her son's arms.

Both of the men were pale and drawn. Joxer suddenly whimpered, pressing his face to Ares' chest. Apollo swept around them, and Ace said, "First room on the left. Everything is either right there, or only a step away."

Again Apollo stepped in front of Ares, and held out his arms. "Give him to me." He received a deadly glare in return. "Damn it, we don't have TIME for this! I can't have you underfoot while I'm working on him, Ares. If you truly want him and the baby to be well, you'll hand him over and stay out here until you're called in." Silence, and Apollo spoke in a low voice. "I'm right, and you know it." He lifted his arms insistently.

Silently Ares handed him over. Apollo turned and carried Joxer swiftly into the depths of the temple, with Ace at his heels. As the door shut behind them, Ares turned, arm swinging, and swept a large vase off a pillar. Then the silently started to trample on the shards.

Strife appeared beside Cupid, watching his uncle, and murmured. "Damn. Joxie has been a steadyin influence on 'im. Before they was married, somethin like this woulda had Unc takin people apart insteada ornaments.

For the next half-hour or so, Ares paced, never speaking to anyone. He moved so quickly that his hair whipped with each turn. He grew steadily paler, and his eyes burned hotter with each passing moment. Before long his teeth were bared in an unconscious grimace, and the other divinities in the room were feeling distinctly nervous. Cupid whispered to Strife. "I'm really getting nervous. I've never seen him like this--not even when you died, and I thought he was going crazy then."

They were standing near the outer door. It opened a crack, and someone hissed at them softly. They looked, and saw that Ace was standing in the outside hall, beckoning to them. They slipped out, and Ace shut the door, saying quietly. "We have trouble--BAD trouble. Joxer is in premature labor, and Dad can't stop it."

"Crap!" Cupid exclaimed. "It's almost a month early. The baby might not be strong enough."

"It's worse than that. Joxer's body isn't ready yet. It's not changing in any way to allow the baby to be born, and it's too late to do a gender switch, or use the transforming water, even if he wanted us to. There's only one thing we can do--we have to take the baby."

Strife suddenly leaned heavily back against the wall. "Oh, SHIT! Not like Caesar?" Ace nodded. "You're gonna fuckin CUT Jox, when Ares is like he is now? If anythin happens ta Jox or tha baby, ALL of us will die. Things won't be too hot fah tha mortals, eithah."

"That's why I need your help. Apollo thinks he can pull this off, but not unless Ares is kept well out of the way. Strife, I need you to go to Hephastus and get us two sets of chains."

"Two?"

"One for Joxer. Apollo isn't going to be able to dull the pain for him--it might affect the baby."

"Double shit. Oh, that poor fucker. 'Kay, Ace. I'll be back in a twitch, but I ain't tryin ta put those on 'im alone."

"No. Dad spoke to Zeus and Dite mentally--luckily Ares is too distracted to notice. When you get back, they'll exert their power to help, and you, I, and Cupid will get the chains on him. I don't mind telling you, I've never been more frightened in my life, but this has to be done. Bring the first set to Dad, then let us each know mentally. Be careful he doesn't catch it. Lock on him, and zap in as close as you can. Hera, Zeus, and Dite will lay bonds on him the second you appear, then," he swallowed. "Then you two do our damndest to get him chained up."

"Waittaminute--'you two'?"

"I have to get back to help Dad as quickly as possible."

Strife nodded. "I'd sooner give Cerberus a prostate exam than jump Unc when he's like this, but awright. Damn, I wish I'd sent Fortuna a Solstice present last year. We can use all tha help we can get." He flashed away.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

In Greece, a white robed priest stood on the steps of each temple dedicated to Eireni, God of Peace, and beat a brazen gong, summoning worshipers. They came--dozens, then hundreds. Followers had been drawn quickly to the gentle new god, and they were fervent in their new devotion.

Soon prayers spiraled upward, sending love and energy. On Olympus, Joxer smiled through his pain. Apollo, curious, said, "What is it?"

"Gabrielle. She's praying to me. Well, maybe praying AT me. 'Joxer, don't you DARE die on us!'" Joxer could feel another contraction coming on. "Tartarus! Here it comes..."

"Joxer, wait! Take this strap, or you'll bite through your lip!"

Joxer grabbed the thick leather strap offered by Apollo, jammed it between his teeth, and bit down as hard as he could, just as another contraction hit him. He jerked with the pain, his arms going protectively around his clenching stomach. This one was longer than the others had been, and he almost couldn't keep back the howl of pain that wanted to rip out of his throat. The only thing that really held it back was the idea of what such a thing would do to Ares.

The cramp passed, and he went limp. Apollo checked his pulse, assuring himself that it was still strong. He murmured, "I'm sorry, Joxer. I wish I could give you something, but..."

Joxer spat out the strap. "I know. It's all right. I don't want you to give me anything. I'm not going to risk anything that might hurt my baby. Pol? You sure this is the only way?"

He nodded, gently stroking Joxer's hair back off his forehead. "The only way, Joxer. Your body just isn't adjusting to let the baby out. If this keeps going, you'll be torn up inside, and I'm not sure even your divine nature would save you. And the baby... The baby's being put under a lot of pressure. While they're so tiny, they're still pretty flexible--it's one of Nature's ways of protecting them. But this sort of force..."

"Okay, okay." Joxer grabbed Apollo's hand. His grip and gaze was fierce as he stared up at the other god. "Pol, if it comes down to a choice, you have to save the baby." Joxer squeezed hard. "Do you hear me? That baby is part of Ares, and he has to LIVE."

"Stop it! We're nowhere near considerations like that, Joxer. There's no reason why both of you can't come out of this strong, healthy, and able to drive the rest of us nuts."

Strife and Ace appeared in the room. "Ya okay, Joxie?" Strife asked anxiously.

"As good as I CAN be, I guess. Soooo, those are Hephastean chains."

"Uh... yah."

Joxer held out his wrists. "C'mon. The damn contractions are coming closer and closer together."

Strife started to chain Joxer to the padded table he was lying on. "Damn, yer a game bastard, Jox."

Joxer grunted as Apollo used another couple of lengths to fasten his legs, then passed loops over his chest and upper legs, to hold him firmly. "You just be careful when you put that other set on Ares." Strife hesitated, looking at him. "Yes, I know the other set is for Ares. Sometimes I'm dense, but I'm not stupid. I know what's going to happen to him through our bond when this really gets going."

Apollo set a tray of glittering instruments on a stand beside the table. "Go with him, Ace, and come back as soon as Ares is secured. I'm not starting till I know for sure that he's bound. If he should get loose and break in here at the wrong moment... If my hand slips..."

"I know." Ace looked at Strife, who nodded. "Let's do it." They flashed out.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Hera, Zeus, and Aphrodite each heard Ace's mental warning. They exchanged looks, then turned as one toward Ares. The War God had stopped pacing, and was staring intently at the door that led back to where Joxer was. His fists were balled at his side, and he was leaning forward on his toes. It was clear that he was only seconds away from action.

He wasn't ready for the sudden burst of energy that washed over him, staggering him. In the first second or two of astonishment he could tell that it was coming from at least three different sources. And it wasn't attacking him, or harming him--it was BINDING him. He realized what was happening, and roared in rage, at the same moment that Strife and Ace appeared behind him.

He found himself tackled by Cupid and Strife, wrestling on the floor. Ares fought--fought the binding, and the restraints being applied. The three divinities who were holding Ares with the power of their wills felt a twinge of dismay when they saw that he still struggled. He shouldn't have been able to move, but he did. He even managed to punch Cupid in the face as his son held him down, so that Strife could get the chains fastened to the rings he'd materialized in the floor. The moment Strife stepped back, Ace transported back to Joxer.

When Ace appeared Apollo said briskly, "Son, stand ready with cloths, and the staunching seaweed. Be prepared to hand me whatever I ask for."

"Not my first time at the rodeo, Pop," said Ace. Apollo shot him a questioning look. "Something Strife says. Seemed appropriate."

As Apollo dematerialized Joxer's clothes, there was another flash. Joxer squeaked. "There's a Muse in here, and I'm naked!"

Apollo looked around. "Calliope, what the Tartarus do you think you're doing?"

"You're going to need someone to take care of the baby while you and Ace take care of Joxer," the eldest Muse said firmly. "Don't worry, Joxie. I've had one of my own, and assisted Hera at others. I'll take good care of the little guy."

Apollo nodded in agreement. "We're going to have to work fast. I don't know how long they'll be able to hold Ares." He wiped Joxer's belly with a rag soaked in spirits, then picked up a thin, wickedly sharp knife. "Joxer?"

"Gimme the strap again," he demanded. Ace put the strap between his teeth, and Joxer clamped down, squeezing his eyes shut. His hands gripped the chains. "Kay."

"Hang on, and try to stay still."

Ares might be the best swordsman on Olympus, and Strife was an artist with a dagger, but when it came to wielding a knife with decisive precision and speed, no one could match Apollo. He made a short, shallow cut across the bottom swell of Joxer's belly.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

In the outer room, Ares went berserk as the pain and fear traveled through his bond with Joxer. He screamed incoherently and thrashed, jerking and heaving at his restraints. Besides clashing and clanking--the chains began to squeal as the metal links strained against each other. Aphrodite was swaying with the effort to help hold Ares, Hera had groped till she reached a pillar, embracing it for support, and even Zeus was obviously straining.

Without consulting each other, Strife and Cupid dived on top of Ares, trying to hold him down with their bodies, adding their own power to that already binding him. Strife panted. "They bettah hurry. We ain't gonna be able ta keep this up long without someone gettin a damage done to 'em."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Joxer flinched, stiffening. The pain was incredible--worse than when the hydra had gashed his leg, and it was even more horrible than that time, because he knew that the source of that pain could either deliver, or kill his baby.

He tried to find something to distract him from the pain. He bit down so hard that his teeth met through the strap. The taste of leather and blood flooded his mouth... and he thought of Ares. Sometimes his skin tasted a little like this--the times when he would come to Joxer fresh from battle. Leather, blood, sweat...

Joxer knew that these things would have meant nothing but terror for most people, but they were part of Ares' essence, and somehow experiencing them gave him more strength. He shoved his head back against the table, stiffening his spine, a mantra going through his mind. *Ares... Baby... Ares... Baby...*

Joxer heard Apollo's voice. "It isn't bleeding much. I have to spread the muscles, Joxer, and it's going to hurt like a bitch. Ace, the spreader." Joxer couldn't help it--a howl burst forth as the muscles were spread apart. It was answered by another howl from outside. "I'm taking him out now. Cal, get ready."

There was more pain, and an odd feeling that Joxer could only imagine was deflating. He was too frightened to open his eyes. If he had, he would have seen Apollo gently extract a glistening, squirming blob the size of medium melon. A thick, corded rope of flesh trailed after it, flopping limply. "Shit! The cord detached. I have to get him out of that."

The blob was rested firmly on Joxer's sheet clad thighs. "Hand me the other knife, Ace. I'm handing the baby off to you to have the cord fixed, while I close Joxer up." Ace handed another knife to Apollo, then accepted a thick towel from Calliope. "Everybody pray." Apollo pinched up a fold of the glob, and made a nick in it. Holding the skin tight, he slipped the blade into the nick and slit, quickly and cleanly.

The fleshy material fell away on either side, and suddenly a tiny, gory baby was wiggling across his father's legs. Apollo tossed down the knife and scooped the baby up, handing him to Ace. The younger god immediately took the child to another table. He tied a clean thread tightly around the cord a couple of inches from the baby's plump belly, then snipped on the other side, freeing the infant from his last physical contact with what had been his womb.

Apollo had packed Joxer's incision with the blood stopping seaweed, and he was pleased with how it was working. "Joxer, can you hear me?" He was answered by a moan. "You're going to be all right. Listen to me, now--try not to pass out just yet. I want to be able to show both of you to Ares, safe and whole. C'mon, Jox. You're the God of Peace--you want to set his mind at rest, don't you?"

Apollo was shocked when Joxer gave a weak chuckle.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ares was drawing a breath for another scream, and another effort to escape. He had the feeling that he might just make it this time. During the brief moment of quiet, though, a sound reached his ears that froze him in place--it was the thin cry of a baby. Time seemed to stop in the outer room. A moment later the cry came again, but this time it was stronger, and it continued.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the maniacal tension went out of Ares body. Relief appeared in the expressions of Aphrodite, Hera, and Zeus as they felt the struggle against their hold cease. Ares' child lived. And from his very reaction, everyone present knew that Joxer was all right, too. If Joxer had died, Ares would have felt it through their bond, and nothing in this world or the next would have stopped him till either he had destroyed the world, or died.

Now he lay quiet beneath Cupid and Strife, and looked up at them, sanity once again in his eyes. "Not bad, you two. Of course, if this ever happens again, I'll be ready for you. Now, let me up. My husband and child need me."

"Just a little longer," said Zeus. "Apollo will send word when they're ready."

Ares did something he very seldom did. He looked at Hera in appeal. "Mother?"

Hera studied him. "Let him up. He'll wait for the right time." When Zeus hesitated, she snapped, "Tartarus! He's not going to do anything that might endanger Joxer or his child, Zeus."

Zeus nodded, and Strife and Cupid removed the chains. They also stepped well out of reach as the last ones fell away. Ares simply shook himself, then got to his feet, folded his arms, and stared at the door to the back of the temple.

Whereas when this began, Ares had been practically vibrating with leashed emotion, now he stood as still as one of Medusa's victims. Even his expression had smoothed. Strife, standing beside Cupid, looked around the room curiously, noting similar relaxed expressions gracing each face. He thought, then carefully considered the flow of energy in the room. He poked Cupid. "Cuz, guess what?"

Cupid was feeling tremendously relieved now that the crisis seemed to have passed. "Too tired to guess. Just tell me."

"Are you, perchance, feelin pretty damn relaxed, considerin what we just went through?"

"Come to mention it, yeah. I thought I'd need at least a few pitchers of Dionysis' best, a hot bath, and a hot you to get this relaxed again."

"It can be arranged. But I b'lieve I know tha reason fah tha sudden mellowness that has struck. Joxer's doin his thang."

Cupid looked at Strife in surprise, then analyzed how he felt, testing the flow of power in the room. He smiled, shaking his head. "Maybe Dad should ask to keep the chains. That may be the only way to keep him in bed for as long as Apollo will insist."

part 28: Balanced

Apollo finished stitching Joxer up, and tilted his head, considering his handiwork. "Not bad at all. A few weeks, and you'll hardly know it was ever here."

"Oh, I'll know it was there," Joxer assured him faintly. "I don't care what women might say to make us feel better--childbirth of ANY sort is NOT something you forget. Put out of your mind so that you don't cream your husband every time he comes near you--maybe. But not forget."

Apollo cleansed and bandaged the wound. "If you can ramble on this soon after major surgery, I know you're going to be all right. Ace, how are things going?"

Asclepius was gently wiping the baby down with a warm, damp cloth. "Couldn't be much better, Dad. Joxer? I just hope this kid decides he likes being bathed later on, because if he keeps up like this, he's going to be a handful. He's squalling and squirming like nobody's business."

"It's MY business. Bring him over here, and I'll calm him down." He might still feel weak, but Joxer's tone was firm.

"You ought to wait a few minutes," Ace began.

His father interrupted him. "Son, go ahead and bring the little one over. Seeing and touching that baby is going to be more of a tonic for Joxer than a bowl full of ambrosia." Apollo finished cleaning Joxer, propped him up slightly, and drew a sheet up to his chest as Ace wrapped the baby in a soft blanket, then carried him over to where his father lay. Joxer held out his arms, and Ace carefully settled the tiny bundle securely in his grip.

The baby lay against Joxer's chest, still squirming and fussing. Joxer gazed down at him, eyes wide with wonder, then said softly, "Hello, baby." The volume of the infant's cries lessened a little. "Oh, yes--it's scary, isn't it? You've been in the warm and dark for so long, and now it's all bright and cold. It makes perfect sense to be upset. I understand." He bent down and nuzzled the baby's cheek. "It's all right. I'm here to take care of you, and help you figure it out." The baby blinked. The cries tapered off, becoming almost questioning. "Yeah, you'll get used to it. This world isn't so bad. There's a lot of good things in it. Pretty soon you're going to meet one of the best--your other daddy..."

Apollo and Ace stood a little apart from the two, watching as Joxer talked softly to the baby, now and then dropping a kiss on his fluff of dark hair. Ace sniffed. Without looking at him, Apollo materialized a handkerchief and handed it over. Ace took it and wiped his face quickly. If he used it more about his eyes, his father didn't comment. When he handed it back, Apollo silently did the same, then made the cloth disappear. Still not looking at his son, he said, "The one who tells gets a massive case of warts. Deal?"

"Deal. Okay to let Ares in now? There's no telling how close he is to getting in anyway, and having him actually blast the door down would be upsetting for the baby."

"Oh, sure, but you don't have to worry about that. What with his bond with Joxer, he'll know that everything is all right."

The door to the outer chamber opened, and Ace stepped out. He looked first at Ares, who was watching him with an intensity that could be felt. Ace smiled. "Ares--ready to meet our newest god?"

"I'll forgive you for the stupid question if you get out of my way, Ace," Ares said, his voice surprisingly mild.

Ace chuckled, but he HOPPED out of the way, barely missing a collision as Ares rapidly entered the room. Ace examined the other gods and goddesses, then said, "Fates, you all look like Cerberus has been chasing you around the Acropolis." Aphrodite immediately materialized a small mirror and began touching up her hair, and Strife, leaning against Cupid, flipped him the bird with tired good-humor.

For all his eagerness, Ares halted just inside the door, staring. For a moment his mind flashed back to the day Cupid had been born--Aphrodite lying in bed with the baby cradled to her breast, his tiny white wings flickering now and then. She'd looked so serene--complete. Joxer had the same expression now as he gazed down at the baby.

Then Joxer looked up, catching sight of Ares. He smiled, and it was somehow sweet, contented, loving, and just the tiniest bit smug--a hint of 'look what I did!' showing through. Ares could feel himself smiling in return. I was just such a JOXER look.

Ares went to them. The first thing he did was bend over and kiss Joxer--a long, gentle kiss. "Judging from the garden, I knew you could grow beautiful things, Jox, but you've outdone yourself."

Joxer lifted an eyebrow. "You have to have the right seed to work with," he said quietly. He looked back down at the baby and said proudly, "He did turn out pretty fantastic, didn't he?"

*ahhh*

Both men chuckled as the baby made a cooing sound. "He's agreeing with you, Joxer. It's good to see he's going to have healthy self-esteem," said Ares. He gestured. "Can I...?"

"Don't go stupid on me now, Ares. Of COURSE you can hold him--he's your son."

Joxer lifted the infant, and Ares gathered him into his arms. Ares made a surprised sound. "He's so tiny!" He looked sharply at Apollo, who was waiting nearby.

Apollo shrugged. "It's to be expected. He IS a little early, and male produced babies are likely to be a little smaller, since the bodies weren't originally designed for pregnancy--less room. But he's fine, Ares. His heart is as strong as Pegasus', his lungs would do a Harpy proud." Ares was unfolding the blanket. "I told you he's all right."

"I can look at my own son, can't I?" His eyes were flicking over the baby.

"What are you DOING?"

"Counting fingers and toes," said Joxer. Apollo gave him a skeptical look, but a hint of color rose in Ares' cheeks. "I counted, Ar--ten of each, complete with nails. He's perfect."

Ares' head was cocked. "About his... uh... equipment..."

"I didn't take the foreskin," said Apollo. "I figured you might remove my head if I did."

"Wise man. He can decide for himself later on how he feels about that. But what I meant was... Uh..." Apollo and Joxer were both looking at him expectantly. "Well..." He held his thumb and forefinger close together.

Apollo covered his mouth, and Joxer's eyes flew open as his hands went to his stomach. "Oh, oh, oh! Ares, don't make me laugh NOW! He's a BABY, for Olympus sake! He only needs enough to pee with right now. If it was any bigger, when he grew up it would go past 'wow!' into 'get that away from me'."

Ares looked a little sheepish. "Okay, so it's silly. I just want my kid to be happy."

"I can understand that, but geez, didn't you change Cupid's diapers when he was little?"

"Well..."

Joxer was still smiling at his husband. "Uh, huh. Well, you can forget about THAT. You're going to be a hands on daddy this time around, believe me. Ares?" He hesitated. "We can't keep calling him 'He'."

Nodding, Ares sat down on the edge of the table, beside Joxer. He'd folded the baby back into the blanket again. Now he was tickling the baby's palm with one finger. The little boy closed his fist around the finger. "Look, Joxer--he's holding my hand. Mm, he's got a grip, too. I'd like to know what his godhood is going to be before we name him. You know, we don't want to give him a name that would be totally at odds with his nature."

"Right. No one would take a God of Disemboweling named Maurice, or a God of Fluffy Animals named Spike seriously." Ares looked at him sharply. "I'm kidding. Actually, I'm hoping for something somewhere in between."

"We can have the others in for a couple of minutes if you'd like to see if Zeus will let you know now," said Apollo.

"Please," said Joxer.

Apollo went to the door, and a moment later the other gods and goddesses filed quietly into the room, gathering around the table. Olympus had rarely seen such a collection of smiles. Even Eris' normally hard expression had softened a little. There was general agreement that this was an extraordinary baby. Cupid sighed. "Cute as Tartarus, but no wings. Someone needs to have a baby with wings, so Bliss and I will have someone to preen with." Several people noticed that, as he said this, he took Strife's hand, and Strife's free hand wandered to his own belly.

Joxer looked up at Zeus, who was bending over the baby. "You know, in a few months, you're going to have to be careful of your beard when you do that. He looks like he's going to be a grabber."

Zeus laughed. "Babies have special dispensation on things like that." He glanced at Joxer, then Ares. "I suppose you two want to rush me into declaring his godhood. Well, I've fooled you again--you aren't rushing me. I've been thinking about this and consulting with the Fates ever since we learned this little man was on his way. I believe we've come up with a very appropriate godhood for the son of War and Peace." Zeus carefully cupped his hand over the baby's downy head. "You see before you the new God of Mediation. Your son will be the middle ground between aggression and pacifism." There were murmurs of approval among the others. "Yes, I'm rather proud of that. Now, I expect the new family could use a little privacy. There'll be plenty of time for official pomp and circumstance later."

They left, each of them exchanging congratulations, hugs, and kisses with the new families. Strife and Cupid were the last, and Strife said hesitantly, "Unc, d'ya think that mebbe I could...?" Ares silently laid the baby in his nephew's arms. They watched as Strife gazed down at the baby, his expression one of curiosity and tender wonder. He looked shyly at Cupid. "Damn, I forgot how tiny babies are. Cupe, d'ya think that I...?"

Cupid squeezed his shoulder. "I think that you're going to be a kick-ass father. You already ARE. Ask Bliss sometime."

After they left Ares sighed. "It's nice to see ALL of my kids, natural and adopted, happy and secure. So..." Joxer was holding the baby again, and Ares reached down to tickle the infant's chin. "What are we going to name this guy?"

Joxer shrugged. "I guess our 'wait till the last minute to decide' strategy sort of blew up in our faces. I don't think that any of the ones we discussed fit now, but it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something suitable. Lesse... God of Mediation. Um... Median?"

"Not bad," said Ares. "Conciliate?"

"A bit of a mouthful for someone so small, maybe. And Harmony is too girly. I know Strife says that the Britains are going to name men Beverly, Vyvian, Shirley, and Evelyn in the future, but I don't think we're ready for that now."

"Sometimes I have to wonder if how much he just makes up."

"The scary thing is that I think the answer is 'not much'."

Apollo came over. "I'm going to leave you two alone now, but I'll be in later to check up on you. I'll need to give you instructions about how to care for the cord stump later." He left.

"Joxer, you have a peculiar look on your face. What are you thinking of?" asked Ares.

"Cord."

Ares nodded. "Future bellybutton. I hope he has an innie."

"Ares? Accord." Ares cocked an eyebrow. "To be in agreement?"

Ares smiled slowly, repeating the name. "Accord." He looked down at the baby. "Accord?" *uh* "I think that settles it. He knows his name." Ares kissed the baby's nose. "Accord, God of Mediation.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Aphrodite was sitting on a couch in the House of Love, snuggled up against Hephastus, enjoying a glass of wine. "I didn't think it was possible for someone ELSE'S pregnancy to exhaust me, but there you go," she sighed.

Heph hugged her, stroking her hair. "And you're going to volunteer to baby sit the second they're ready to let him out of their sight, aren't you?"

She giggled. "Do you think there's any other way that I'm going to get a chance to dress him?"

"Just be sure you get any trace of pink off him before Ares sees it. The last thing we need is a War God having a heart attack."

"Poo, it won't be that bad. He's a lot mellower these days, haven't you noticed?"

"Sure. Everyone has, even if they don't mention it. I have to tell you, Dite--there have been times when I was pretty sure that I'd have to supply chains to keep Ares from just ripping Olympus and Greece apart. I'm not worried about that since he got together with Joxer. And Joxer seems different, too." He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "He bragged a lot, but you could always tell that underneath he wasn't sure of himself. He's much more assured now." He chuckled. "And assertive. He wouldn't have said boo to Ares when he first came up here, but now I sense that he gives as good as he gets."

Dite nodded. "It's the give-and-take, Heph. I know that 'opposites attract' is going to be a dreadful cliche some day, but it's sort of true. Ares give Joxer security, so that Joxer can believe in himself. Joxer gives Ares unconditional love, so that Ares doesn't have to be fighting the world every minute of his life. It's... it's sort of like... furniture."

Heph stared at her. "You're having a Joxer moment, my love."

She giggled. "Maybe. He rubs off on people. But it's true, Heph. It's like furniture. You've built furniture, right? What do you think of a table with only one leg?"

He frowned in concentration. "Well, it will stand, and it looks all right, but it's pretty easy to tip over."

She nodded. "And one with TWO legs?"

"Two? It's POSSIBLE, and it will even be more stable than the one-legged one, if the legs are placed precisely, and are sturdy. The balance is better."

"Okay." She held up a finger. "One man alone. Possible, but likely to upset." She held up the second finger. "Two together. Support, and balance. More stability. Now, then..." She curved her arms and made a rocking motion, then held up a third finger. "Three?"

Hephastus smiled, nodding. "Firm and steady."

Aphrodite returned his smile. "Complete." She settled her head on his shoulder, thinking of Ares, Joxer, and Accord. She sighed, and smiled again. "Balanced."

The End