Title: Make Love Not War

Author: Stephanie M

Disclaimer: The Xena/Hercules characters belong to RenPics and whoever else owns the rights to these characters.


Summary: Joxer finds his destiny.


Category: Comedy/Drama.

Notes: Seduces Me belongs to If Dreams Had Wings Music Ltd

 

Make Love Not War

by Stephanie M

 

With a look back at the backs of Xena and Gabrielle, Joxer walked into the one place he thought he would never return, his family home. He knew that he had to see his family but didn’t know the reason why. However, the strange compulsion to return to his childhood home was too great to deny.

Walking straight to the temple of Ares Joxer was unsurprised to find his family on their knees praying. Although he knew the Gods were important, Joxer couldn’t understand why his father was making his aged Grandmother kneel on the floor when she was clearly ill.

With a determined stride, Joxer walked over to his grandmother and helped her up, escorting her out of danger before his family starting fighting with him. A part of him was unsurprised when he felt Jett grab hold of his neck as soon as he sat her down.

"Trying to make Ares angry with us? You should know better!!" Jett said as he punched Joxer in the ribs.

As the blow hit home there was a spark of light and the distinct smell of ozone as a God appeared in the room.

Sending a ball of energy towards Jett Ares snarled, "Don’t touch him." He smiled in satisfaction when the mortal hit the wall loudly falling onto the floor.

Jonus asked afraid, "My Lord, what are you doing here?"

"I’m here to get Joxer. Come here Joxer," Ares said, noticing the fear in Joxer’s eyes.

As Joxer walked over to his God, Jonus smiled cruelly assuming Ares was going to punish his son for interrupting their prayers. As Joxer reached him, Ares wrapped his arm, around the startled mortal’s waist and teleported from the room in a flash of angry sparks.

As they disappeared Jonus shared a cruel grin with his favourite son who was struggling to stand up, each hoping Ares would do everyone a favour and kill Joxer.

"What do you want with me, Lord Ares?" Joxer said as the pair appeared in a small kitchen.

"I wanted to talk to you." Ares replied, seeing that Joxer was scared.

"Oh...I guess that’s okay. Where are we?" Joxer said as he took in his surroundings.

Ares answered with a small grin, "We’re at my secret place. Whenever I want to disappear, this is where I come. No one else knows about it."

Noticing his God looked a little upset Joxer said gently, "Thanks for bringing me here. What’s wrong?"

"It’s nothing, Joxer." Ares answered, walking out into the garden.

Joxer looked around the room wondering what he should do. He knew from experience that sometimes you needed to be by alone but he got the feeling that Ares spent a lot of time alone. With a determined nod he walked outside to find Ares staring off into the distance.

Not wanting to disrupt the sense of peace and harmony that seemed to flow from the land itself Joxer whispered, "Its beautiful here."

"I’m glad you like it. Would you like to spend sometime here with me?" Ares said, already accepting that Joxer would refuse him.

Joxer said with a wide grin, "I’d love too, as long as you don’t mind. Call me Jox, my friends do."

Creating a small table of food when he realised that Joxer hadn’t eaten Ares replied, "Jox, you can call me Ar. Have something to eat."

Joxer said eagerly as he sat down, "That would be great. Thank you, Ar."

The pair ate in silence both content to sit with someone they could hesitantly call a friend. As they ate each one questioned the wisdom of their new friendship.

Ares knew that anyone he called a friend would spend their lives in danger, not just from the Gods but also from the mortal world. He had never had a friend before and wasn’t unsure exactly what a friend was supposed to do, besides why would anyone want to be friends with War?

Joxer on the other hand was questioning what he had to offer anyone. Ever since he was a child Joxer had been told that he was worthless, he believed it especially when Gabrielle and Xena had reinforced the idea.

Sighing Joxer said, "Why do you want to be friends with me? I’m useless, I always get into trouble and I…"

Ares who couldn’t believe the way Joxer was talking about himself. In that instant he wanted nothing more than to find and personally kill everyone who had ever hurt Joxer, starting with Xena and Gabrielle.

Wanting the other man to stop berating himself Ares said, "You’re not useless, and there are other things in life more important than fighting."

Seeing Joxer was starting to listen Ares continued, "I’ve been your God all your life, if anyone knows how important you are its me. Didn’t you ever wonder why you lived through all those fights?"

"I thought it must be some kind of joke to the Gods," Joxer replied resignation on his face.

"I’ve been keeping an eye on you. You are not meant for fighting, Jox." Ares said, looking into Joxer’s eyes.

"What am I meant to do now? My whole life has been focused on training to fight," Joxer asked himself, not realising he had spoken his thoughts aloud.

Wondering if Joxer was going to hate him Ares said, "Stay with me until you figure it out."

Joxer said dejectedly, "Thanks for the offer, Ar. I’m sure you have other things you’d rather do than keep an eye on for me."

Ares said with a small smile, "I like you Jox. There aren’t many people I can say that about. If you don’t mind I’d like you to stay here safe, until you figure out what you want."

Unable to believe that someone actually wanted him around Joxer said, "I’ll stay but as soon as I’ve overstayed my welcome you have to tell me and I’ll leave."

Ares was secretly hoping that Joxer would stay for a while; he still had to figure out what it was about Joxer that made him want to protect the younger man. It wasn’t the warrior’s lack of skills because he seen warriors even worse - not many but some and hadn’t even given them a second glance.

Over the next three weeks the pair spent a lot of time just sitting around, not needing to talk all the time. Each one comfortable sitting in silence with someone that actually wanted to be around him, amazed that someone they had never expected to could understand their loneliness and pain.

"I’ve got to go, Jox. I wonder what Zeus wants to blame me for this time?" Ares said with a sigh as he disappeared in the usual sparks.

Joxer looked around the house and seeing nothing better to do, started organising everything. Something he had a lot of experience doing as most people didn’t trust him to do anything more complicated. He knew Ares would appreciate the sentiment if not the action.

Hades looked at Ares in worry; the war god was smiling and that wasn’t a good thing. The last time he had seen Ares smile he had ended up with a massive backlog of souls to sort out. He prayed this time wouldn’t be as disruptive, maybe he could talk to Hera about it?

Knowing his dark son was distracted Zeus asked angrily, "Ares, did you hear what I said?"

"Yes, I’m to arrange a war between Sparta and Corinth." Ares absently answered sending out his awareness to check on Joxer.

Hera said regally, "Make the arrangements with Athena." She was concerned at the strange warm feeling from her son, almost as if Ares was happy which was ridiculous! Her son hadn’t been happy for millennia.

"Okay," Ares said as he flashed out the room and back to Joxer.

Not needing to look up to know the identity of the god Joxer said with a smile, "Hey Ar."

"The place look’s wonderful! Jox, you didn’t have to do this," Ares looked around the house.

"I know but I wanted to. Feel like going out tonight?" Joxer said wanting Ares to see that life wasn’t all serious and boring.

Ares said quickly, "Sure." With a wave of his hand the god removed his facial hair, making him look a lot younger than his 1500 years.

Joxer said with a rueful smile, "Good idea, it would ruin your reputation if people found out that you went out with the least of your warriors."

Angry that Joxer thought of himself negatively Ares said seriously, "If anyone has a problem with our friendship, they’ll have to deal with me! I figured a crowd would ruin your plans."

Joxer said with a grin, "It would. What do you feel like doing? There’s a celebration in Thebes or we can listen to the music contest in Delphi."

"Why don’t you enter the contest?" Ares said having heard Joxer play when he had watched his new friend when the mortal was younger.

Joxer said seriously, "I’m not good enough, everyone would just laugh me off stage!"

"What if we both enter the competition? You play the music and I’ll dance to it," Ares wanted his friend to embrace his musical gifts.

Joxer said with a happy grin, "I guess, and I won’t be up there alone. Okay Ar, shouldn’t we practice?"

Ares shrugged. "If you’ll let me, I can take the music from your mind. I’ll make the dancing as I go."

"`Kay, Ar." Joxer said concentrating on the music as he felt Ares gently touch his forehead.

"That’s a good song. What do you call it?" Ares said as he opened his eyes and changed their clothes with a thought.

Joxer answered with a small smile, "Seduces Me."

"Who’s it about?" Ares asked privately thinking that he would kill anyone if they hurt his Joxer.

"A guy, I don’t think will ever look at me." Joxer said softly sure he was right.

Ares offered seriously, "You want me to kill him for you?"

"That’s alright, Ar. It’s not the first time something like this has happened. You do remember the disaster that was my infatuation with Gabby?"

"Yeah. Ready to go?" Ares decided not to mention the massive argument he had with Aphrodite over that little fiasco.

"I hate to ask Ar but can you get my lyre?" Joxer said as he put an arm around the war god’s waist.

The pair materialised just a couple of minutes outside town. Looking at his clothes, Joxer was shocked to see they had changed. He was now wearing a white silk shirt with ruffles on the cuffs and a pair of black leather pants. Ares was wearing an outfit the same as Joxer’s apart from his brown pants.

"Thanks again for doing this, Ar." Joxer said as they approached the hall, which was covered in banners, so bright that they made Ares feel sick.

"It’s no bother. Want me to make sure you win?" Ares asked wondering just why he had asked that question.

Joxer said forcefully, "No! I don’t have any chance of winning but it’ll be good to play again."

Ares said with a laugh, "With me as your dancer, we’re bound to win!"

"That’s quite an ego you’ve got there!" Joxer said punching Ares on the shoulder with a snort.

Ares said in mock outrage, "You mean I’m not the centre of the universe?"

Noticing the bubbles of laugher building up inside Joxer Ares continued haughtily, "Anyway, it’s not an ego if it’s true."

Joxer laughed, "You should see Asclepius, I think you’ve finally lost your mind!"

"How about a little friendly bet? That way I can show you how good my dancing is," Ares said an idea forming in his mind.

"Sure," Joxer answered with a grin.

Ares grinned wickedly, "If my dancing wins the competition, you have to tell Blondie and Xena just what you think of them, and of the way they’ve been treating you."

Not about to back down from a challenge Joxer retorted, "Fine. If my song gets us first place you have to go to the next pantheon meeting in white silk and complain that people should make love and not war."

"They’ll think I’ve gone insane!" Ares said laughing hysterically as he imagined the reactions of the various gods.

Joxer smiled as he said seriously, "They treat you like dirt and take advantage of you. If they think you’ve lost your mind, they’ll see just how difficult your job is. Think of it as a chance to have a long needed vacation."

"Okay, it’s a deal." Ares said shaking Joxer’s hand. "I’ve already taken care of the entrance fee so we’re ready," Ares continued taking a seat next to Joxer.

"I’ll give you back the money as soon as I can." Joxer vowed not wanting to take advantage of his friend.

Ares just smiled as the three judges looked at him and Joxer, indicating that it was time for them to go on stage. They were last to perform as they had arrived a little late. Ares smiled thinking to himself at that least Joxer wouldn’t have to wait around.

Joxer smiled at Ares and walked over the stage ready to do this. He couldn’t believe he was actually performing in public! He had sworn never to do so, but the pleading look in Ares’ eyes had been too great to deny.

Never taking his eyes from Ares’ body Joxer played softly setting a sultry mood with the music, his eyes widening as he watched Ares dance. It was as if the War God became the personification of seduction, moving his body with sensual grace.

Expressing in song what he couldn’t say, Joxer started to sing putting his heart into the words,

"Everything you are,

Everything you’ll be

Touches the current of love

So deep in me

Every sigh in the night

Every tear that you cry

Seduces me.

And all that I am

And all that I’ll be

Means nothing at all

If you can’t be with me

Your most innocent kiss

Or your sweetest kiss

Seduces me

I don’t care about tomorrow

I’ve given up on yesterday

Here and now is all that matters

Right here with you is where I’ll stay

Everything in this world

Every voice in the night

Every little thing of beauty

Comes shining thru in your eyes

And all that is you becomes part of me too

`Cause all that you do seduces me

And if I should die tomorrow

I'd go down with a smile on my face

I thank God I've ever known you

I fall down on my knees

For all the love we've made

Every sigh in the night

Every tear that you cry

Seduces me Seduces me

And all that you do...Seduces me."

There was a shocked silence when the song finished as the audience were caught in the spell Joxer had weaved through his music. Then there was rapturous applause as the people stood up shouting for more. Joxer bowed and taking Ares’ hand walked back to the table.

"I told you not to worry," Ares admonished as he looked at his giddy friend.

"It was amazing. I’ve never felt anything like it!" Joxer felt like he could walk on water.

"Looks like we’ve found your gift," Ares said with a smirk having suspected as much.

A tall woman smiled at the nervous contestants, "I would like to thank all those who entered in the competition. All the compositions were unique and special in their own way."

A slim redheaded man about twenty years old said, "As the high priest of Apollo it is my joy to name the winner of the competition is Joxer and his dancer...I think his name is...Arry. The song was one of the most amazing songs I’ve heard in my life. It was so alive and passionate! Can Joxer and his dancer to come up and collect their prize?"

The room started clapping and cheering as the two men walked onto the stage. Joxer blushed furiously, not used to being the centre of attention or to being praised. Ares just smiled and stood slightly behind Joxer not wanting to steal any of the praise and attention that rightly belonged to his friend. Joxer accepted the small trophy plaque and the money before leaving the stage with a small bow.

Biting his lip Joxer said pleadingly, "Can we go now? I hate being the centre of attention."

"If that’s what you want, Jox." Ares said taking the mortal’s arm and walking out of the dance hall.

"I can’t believe I won! You didn’t use your powers did you?" Joxer said anxiously.

Ares said indignantly, "Of course not, I promised I wouldn’t!"

"It’s just I never thought I would win anything!" Joxer explained quickly, not wanting to upset the man his best friend.

"You’re great Jox, there’s so much you could do if you wanted." Ares said gently wrapping an arm around the mortal’s waist.

Joxer said seriously, "I’m happy with my life as it is. I’ve won a prize for the first time in my life, and I have the one thing I always wanted, someone I can trust and confide in."

Ares just looked at Joxer confused as he tried to figure out what the mortal could be talking about. Drawing a blank he arched his eyebrow at his friend asking the question.

Joxer said with a small laugh, "You, of course! I never imagined I would have someone I can trust and count on, like I do with you."

Ares just stared at Joxer in shocked. Looking around he transported them to his hideaway, the place they both now called home.

Gabrielle looked at the scroll in shock unable to believe what she was reading, Joxer had won the most famous music competition throughout Greece! She seriously wondered how she had upset the Muses, there was no other explanation as to how Joxer could win and why she had been informed she couldn’t enter. Maybe the muses wanted to help some of the less talented people?

‘With my natural talent and abilities I don’t need to depend on the Muses!’ Gabrielle thought with an arrogant smile.

‘Really?’ Polyhymnia inspirer of sacred song thought with a grin, sharing what she had overheard with her sisters the nine muses decided that they wouldn’t help the annoying Amazon until she begged them. Maybe she would learn to be a little more thankful in future!

"Anyone know where Joxer is? We should congratulate him on winning." Auto said looking at his friends.

Xena shrugged, "We last saw him a month ago when he went back home. He felt that he was needed there."

"He voluntarily went back to his family? Something is really wrong here!" Iolaus said worriedly.

Hercules said confused, "What do you mean? Everyone goes to see their parents once in a while."

"Didn’t any of you listen to him?" Auto said understanding dawning as he remembered what Joxer had confided when the group would sit together by the campfire.

"Of course we did!" Gabrielle protested immediately.

Auto said scornfully, "Right (!) You don’t even know enough about him to know why he never goes home."

"Fine, why doesn’t he go home?" Hercules said in annoyance.

Iolaus sighed, "His family treats him as a punching bag. The only ones who were ever nice to him were his grandmother and Jace."

"I guess we should go and check up on him then?" Hercules asked with a groan.

Iolaus said glaring at his lover, "If you don’t want to go, Auto and I can go."

Hercules said quickly, "Of course I’ll come with you. Maybe Joxer just heard that someone was ill?"

"If nothing else it’ll be a good break." Xena said with a smile.

The four looked at each other and started on the road towards Joxer’s family home. It would take them about six days to get there so they just hoped Joxer wasn’t in any immediate danger.

Ares said angrily looking at the laughing man, "I can’t believe I agreed to this!"

"A bet’s a bet. You know that. Anyway, it’ll be fun." Joxer said doing his best to control his laugher.

Ares rolled his eyes, "I’m wearing white silk! You do realise this is going to destroy my reputation."

"Just kill a couple of hundred warriors, and no one will say anything." Joxer said with a shrug carefully looking over the god’s outfit.

Ares looked down at his outfit one last time, he was wearing a white silk suit with the top showing his chest hairs. He waved his hand and changed his leather boots to white sandals. He looked in the mirror and groaned, he looked like a love god!

Joxer said supportively, "You look great! You’re going to scare the life out of them."

"Thanks. Want to come up to Olympus with me?" Ares said ignoring the thundering of his heart, he couldn’t have a heart attack so there was no need to worry.

Joxer just stared at his friend, "Me on Olympus? That’s just asking for trouble."

"They’ll love you, and if they don’t I’ll beat them up." Ares said smiling showing his teeth.

"I guess that would be okay. Do I look alright?" Joxer said, he was wearing brown pants and a cream shirt. Ares had made about ten outfits appear saying that Joxer had to have something comfortable to wear.

Ares nodded, "You look great. I’m going to put a block on your mind to stop the others from messing with you, okay?"

"Yeah." Joxer said quickly, he didn’t like the thought of becoming the plaything of the gods if he could avoid it.

Ares gently placed one hand on Joxer’s head and focused. Within seconds he had created a shield in Joxer’s mind stopping any god from entering his mind or reading his thoughts.

Ares asked putting one arm around Joxer’s waist, "Do you want to come with me to the meeting or do you want to stay on my home on Olympus?"

"Won’t it cause trouble if I come with you to the meeting?" Joxer asked nervously.

Ares smiled, "No. I think my outfit will cause the most trouble. If you come you can see the effects of our little bet for yourself."

"I’ll come with you." Joxer said with a sincere smile.

Ares said suddenly, "I’ve got some more ideas about how to scare the life out of my family. Just follow my lead, okay?"

"Sure, but don’t go too far." Joxer said with a smile.

Seconds later the pair disappeared in a flash of blue-white sparks.

"Want to play with my arrow and sheath, Sweetheart?" Cupid asked Joxer with a grin. He had always been attracted to the mortal and now Joxer was on Olympus where no heroes could interfere.

Ares overheard the come on and sauntered over to the pair. He smiled and pleaded Joxer, "Come and sit over here with me?"

Ares glared at Cupid but his son just stared back. Ares said slowly, "My Jox. Leave him alone!"

Hades stared open-mouthed at the sight meeting his eyes when he walked into the great hall. Ares was wearing white but more alarming he was wearing sandals. It was scary.

Even more worrying was the fact that he was apparently having a row with Cupid over a mortal. Hades moved closer in time to hear the mortal, Joxer a part of his mind supplied calm Ares.

Joxer said quickly, "Don’t worry, he’s not going to take me away."

Ares stuck his tongue out at Cupid before escorting Joxer to the main table and sat down, materialising another chair next to him for Joxer.

There were six flashes of light as the remaining gods flashed into the room for the meeting.

Aphrodite took her seat next to Cupid, casting a speculative look at Ares and Joxer. Apollo sat next to Athena. Looking at the mortal the sun god realised it was the winner of the competition in Delphi.

Poseidon sat next to Hades and Demeter hoping the pair weren’t going to start arguing again. Hera sat next to Zeus, hoping the meeting wouldn’t last too long as she had plans to hurt Hercules.

Zeus looked at the mortal his son had brought with him. He tried to get into Joxer’s mind only to be stopped by the shield Ares has created. Shaking his head he started the meeting.

Zeus asked smiling, "Now are there any problems anyone wants to bring to the attention of the Pantheon?"

"Yes, me, me!" Ares held up his hand excitedly. When Zeus nodded at him Ares said pouting, "The mortals are being bad."

"Bad?" Aphrodite questioned wondering why Ares sounded like a ticked off toddler.

Ares nodded emphatically, "They’re fighting when they should be making love. Hey, that can be my new order for my armies, make love not war."

Ares smiled looking at Joxer earnestly, "What do you think, Joxiekins?"

"Joxiekins?" Eris shouted in shock looking at her brother who was busy playing with the mortal’s hair.

Joxer smiled seriously, "Maybe you need to think about it a little more, Ar."

"But they’re being bad!" Ares said stamping his foot and making the room shake. He shouted angrily, "No one ever listens to me!"

Hades’ eyes widened when he heard Joxer say soothingly, "People do listen, Ar. I know the mortals are being bad and we’ll stop them."

"Ares, are you feeling okay?" Apollo asked looking at Ares in a panic.

Ares said dismissively, "I feel great! Now about those naughty mortals?"

"Don’t worry, we’ll make sure they’re not bad anymore." Poseidon said not wanting Ares to have another tantrum.

"Cool!" Ares exclaimed before flashing out the room and taking Joxer with him.

Zeus looked at the room, "Did that really happen?"

Demeter said smiling, "Yes. Ares has lost his mind."

"Joxiekins!" Eris said laughing, she grinned when Aphrodite joined her.

Zeus commanded, "We’ll have to take care of the war Ares was organising. It’ll be a disaster if Ares tells his armies to make love not war."

"What are we going to do about Ares?" Hades asked worried knowing that an insane war god would be a disaster.

"Apollo can see him." Hera said before flashing out of the room.

Apollo flashed out of the room to his brother’s temple. He was shocked when he arrived to find Ares sitting in a room painting, if you could call it that. Ares was throwing paint at a canvas while Joxer played a tune on his lyre.

Ares grinned, "Apollo? You here to play?"

"No." Apollo answered, seeing Ares frown he continued, "I’ll come and play later. Now can I have a look at you?"

"Joxiekins?" Ares said looking at Joxer apparently for instruction.

Joxer said with a smile, "Why don’t you let him look you over, Ar? Then you can carry on playing."

When Ares nodded Apollo quickly used his powers to identity any possible illness or injury. Not finding any he was confused as to why Ares was behaving so strangely. Drawing a blank as to the cause of his brother's illness Apollo decided to leave before Ares remembered that he asked him to play.

Minutes after Apollo had left, Ares looked at Joxer and they both burst out laughing. Ares was amazed at how much fun he had playing a little joke on his family. The best part was that they would probably leave him alone for a while so he could spend time with Joxer.

"Ar, why was Cupid hitting on me?" Joxer said after they had both calmed down.

Ares sighed, "He’s been lonely since Psyche left him for some Celtic god. I thought you liked guys?"

"I do but I just didn’t want to be with Cupid," Joxer said with a smile.

Ares said suspiciously, "How come?"

Joxer shrugged, "I’m not in love with Cupid."

"So you have to love whoever you sleep with?"

After thinking the question over Joxer said, "No, but right now I’m in love with someone. I don’t want to sleep with anyone but him."

"I guess that makes sense. If you love someone then you should be with them."

"Even if it seems like everything is against you?" Joxer asked seriously. Ares said hugging the man, "Yeah. Jox, you deserve someone who can see how special you are, someone who knows how beautiful you are."

"I believe the man I love can do all that but he doesn’t love me so there’s no point thinking about it."

Seeing Joxer was getting depressed Ares said suddenly, "Time to have some fun. Why don’t you show me what’s so great about fishing?"

Joxer said seriously, "To be honest fishing is more about relaxing than catching fish, or at least I think so."

"Come on, lets go fishing." Ares said and the pair disappeared.

Part 2

"This whole insanity game is fun. A lot more fun than I thought it would be." Ares smiled over at Joxer who was sitting next to him on the bank.

Joxer grinned, "You say that now but you’ll have to act like this for a while if you want your family to leave you alone."

"So? It’s a great cover. I can get my own back on them and they’ll just think I’m not responsible for my own actions."

"You’re scary sometimes," Joxer said quietly.

Ares smirked, "Hey, I think therefore I’m dangerous."

"So who do you want to get first?" Joxer couldn’t help but enjoy this. He was causing chaos and he loved it. He could play jokes on people and be himself for the first time in his life.

"I think we should play a little joke on Strife. Did I tell you about the time he left a note at Demeter’s declaring my undying love for her? She didn’t leave me alone for years."

Imagining Ares trying to fend off his aunt’s advances Joxer laughed, deciding not to ask how Ares had got rid of her in the end. Once he had regained control Joxer said, "In Strife’s defence, it’s kinda expected. He is Mischief."

Ares said wickedly, "Now we’ll see how he likes it when someone plays a joke on him!"

"How about we set him up with someone, like he did with you?" Joxer said thoughtfully.

Remembering the way Cupid had behaved towards *his* Joxer Ares grinned seeing the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. With an exaggerated frown he said, "How about Cupid?"

Joxer said worried, "Er…Strife doesn’t have feelings for Cupid, right? If he does then it isn’t really fair. Just think how you would feel if the person you loved more than anything else declared they loved you only to be told that it was a joke?"

Ares stilled seeing Joxer’s point, "He did have before Cupid got married. He and Cupid were involved for about three hundred years. I even thought they would get married then Strife just started avoiding Cupid. They both refuse to talk about what happened."

Joxer frowned, "That doesn’t make sense. I think something happened to Strife."

"You could be right. I’ll go to the Halls of Time and have a look over his life later." Ares said knowing it would explain everything.

Joxer said seriously, "If we set them up, it could get them back together. Do you think that would work?"

"Well, they were *really* good together. I know they still have feelings for each other. Want to go back?"

Joxer smiled wickedly, "When we get back you should call Strife to you and ask him to give your new orders to your armies.

"You have a delightfully wicked sense of humour, Jox. This is going to be fun." Ares said as the pair flashed out to his temple in Thrace.

 

"Strife!" Ares shouted sitting down on the floor.

Strife appeared with a flash, "Yeah?"

Strife’s eyes widened as he took in his uncle’s appearance. Ares was wearing white! Maybe this was all a wicked dream from Morpheus? He pinched himself, satisfied it wasn’t a dream Strife looked at Ares suspiciously.

"Er…who is he, again?" Ares asked Joxer with a grin, his face a picture of confusion.

Joxer smiled patiently, "Strife, your nephew. He’s God of Mischief and your second in command."

Strife looked from the mortal who was ignoring him, to Ares and back again. Why was his uncle asking a mortal who he was? Was Ares ill or something?

"I’ve got some orders for you!" Ares said with a smile.

Strife just gaped at Ares, was he really seeing his uncle smile? He shivered; he could have happily gone forever without seeing that.

"What are they?" Strife said mildly annoyed.

Ares smiled widely, "I want you to give my new orders to my armies." He then started throwing a ball at the wall.

Frowning Ares glared at Strife, "What are you doing here? I told you to give my orders to the armies!"

"Ar, you have to tell him what the orders are first." Joxer said looking up from a scroll he was reading.

Ares frowned at Joxer, "I knew that!"

Looking at Strife Ares continued, "Tell my armies that they are to make love not war. They have to spread the word that they shouldn’t fight! If they do then, I’ll kill them!"

"What the fuck?! Kill soldiers if they *fight*? Unc, you feelin’ okay?" Strife said concerned that Ares had finally lost it. Maybe this was the alternate Ares, the love god?

Ares just scowled, "Just go. When you’ve finished we can play hide and seek."

Strife stared at Ares and shouted desperately, "CUPID!"

"What do you want Mischief?" Cupid drawled as he flashed into the room.

"Fix him!" Strife said pointing at Ares.

Cupid just stared at Strife and said, "What do you mean fix him?"

"He’s nuts!" Strife said worried.

"You boys come to play?" Ares grinned manically at them.

"No. We haven’t." Cupid said glaring at his father.

Ares winked at Joxer and started crying, "Joxiekins! They don’t love me anymore. They won’t play!"

Joxer smirked back at Ares before running over to the war god and hugging the man. Loud enough for the gaping gods to hear Joxer said, "It’s okay, Ar. They’ll come and play later. They’ve just got to do some stuff first."

Joxer looked up and glared at the pair. Strife found himself admiring the mortal, few people would stand up to him or meet his gaze.

"Joxer is right. We’ll come and play later," Strife promised hoping they could fix his uncle first.

Cupid and Strife flashed out the room in a panic.

 

The pair immediately teleported to Hera’s office wanting someone to fix Ares. As they appeared they found Hera, Apollo and Zeus discussing Ares.

Zeus said angrily, "There is something wrong with Ares. Did you see him pull tongues at Cupid?"

"Did you find out what is wrong with my son?" Hera asked Apollo.

Apollo shook his head confused, "I couldn’t find any problem but I think its stress. It was bound to happen, he does have one of the most difficult jobs. When I got to Ares’ home he asked me to play and he was painting. He kept looking at that mortal to see what he should do."

"Is it possible this mortal has somehow made one of the other gods put a curse on my son?" Hera said searching her mind for a possible solution.

"There isn’t a curse on Ares. As far as I can see he’s just suffering from stress." Apollo said with a shrug.

"Dad’s lost it!" Cupid shouted at them hoping someone could do something.

Strife said quickly, "He’s crying!"

His voice echoing in the minds of all the gods Zeus said, "All hear me! As of today Ares is only to be approached as a last resort. My son is having a break."

 

Ares smirked when he heard the announcement, he looked at Joxer who was reading a report of the Troy war and was stuck by the beauty of the man. He wondered just what that strange feeling in his stomach was. It felt like he had the butterflies dancing in his stomach just from looking at Joxer. It was unsettling to say the least.

"What’s wrong Ar?" Joxer asked when he looked up to find the war god staring at him with a weird look on his face.

Thinking that he would eliminate his rival Ares said, "Nothing. Can you tell me about this guy you love?"

"He’s taller than me and has dark hair. He’s just great." Joxer said with a smile.

"What’s his name?" Ares asked already planning how he could remove the man without Joxer finding out.

Joxer said anxiously, "Can I keep that a secret?"

"Yeah. I just thought you might want to talk about him." Ares said seriously.

Joxer shrugged, "There’s not much point when he’s out of my league."

"You think you could fall for someone else?" Ares asked hopefully.

Joxer said quickly, "I think this is a forever love."

"What’s his father like? Does he have a job?" Ares asked with a scowl thinking maybe this way he could find out who the man way?

Joxer laughed, "His father is pretty arrogant but what can you expect from a god? Shit, did I say that out loud?"

Ares scowled as he remembered the thief Joxer travelled with. Auto was dark haired, taller than Joxer but more importantly the son of a god! That must be who his rival was!

"Feel like coming to see someone with me?" Ares said with a bloodthirsty smile.

Joxer swallowed feeling sorry for whoever Ares was about to take on. It looked like whoever it was would probably end up dead.

Joxer grinned, "Sure! I don’t want to stay here in case Cupid comes after me."

Ares put an arm around Joxer’s waist and the pair disappeared in a flash of sparks.

 

As they appeared at a clearing Joxer wondered just what they were doing in the middle of the woods. He froze recognising the approaching voices. It was his friends. He knew there was going to be bloodshed as it was the norm when Ares and the heroes met.

"Joxer! We were just coming to see you!" Auto shouted in relief as he spied the man.

Joxer hugged the man, "Hey Auto. I decided to hang out with a friend instead."

Ares started growling at the way the thief was touching his Joxer. No one was allowed to grope his Joxer like that, especially people Joxer might love more than him.

"Ar, quit it!" Joxer shouted with a frown.

Hearing the warrior shout the other heroes to run over in alarm. In their experience a yelling Joxer normally meant trouble.

Hercules stared in shock at the sight before him. Ares, God of War Ares, was standing in front of them wearing white silk. Xena wondered just what spell Ares was under to make the God wear white. She had thought the only colour Ares knew existed was black.

Knowing it would make Joxer listen to him Ares purred, "Joxiekins?" Joxer would assume Ares was just going to play a joke on the heroes, and think he had to pretend to be the voice to reason for the mad god of war.

"Joxiekins? I think Ares is a little ill." Iolaus stated worried about just what the god was going to do to them.

"Yeah?" Joxer asked moving away from the thief causing Ares to smirk.

Ares smiled eagerly, "Can I play with them?"

The heroes looked at Ares in alarm. Xena approached her sword drawn, she wasn’t going to let Ares hurt anyone. Hercules wondered just what plan Ares had come up with this time to get back at him and Xena.

"Sure! Remember no killing. They’re covered by the rules of Olympus." Joxer said with a smile noticing the looks of shock on his friends’ faces.

"Well, everyone but Gabby is." Ares said conversationally.

Auto looked at the hunter in shock, "Since when are you a demi-god?"

Ares giggled, "He’s not. I don’t want to make Daddy mad by killing his boyfriend, do I?"

Xena exclaimed in shock, "His what?"

"You’re fucking my father and me?" Hercules snarled at the shocked hunter.

"What, of course not!" Iolaus protested fervently.

"Boring. I want to play! You play with me?" Ares asked the thief, his lip trembling.

Feeling that Ares was about to start bawling at any minute Auto nodded his head.

Ares smiled thinking that once they were on Olympus he could make sure the man didn’t go anywhere near his Joxer. He was sure the thief would only hurt Joxer, anyway Joxer was *his*.

Auto grabbed Joxer’s hand and the three disappeared leaving chaos in their wake.

Part 3

As the three appeared in his home Ares said with a toothy smile, "Joxiekins, can I play with Auto alone for a couple of minutes."

Joxer nodded and left the room to explore the temple, something he never got the chance to do earlier. He just hoped Auto didn’t say the wrong thing and end up missing some essential parts of his anatomy. After he had left the room Ares turned to the thief with a sadistic grin on his face.

Ares placed a hand over the thief’s neck and squeezed as he said, "If you *ever* get involved with Joxer romantically or sexually, I will hunt you down and torture you. I will make the torture last for decades. I’m good at that. Joxer is *mine* and I won’t tolerate anyone trying to take him."

"Don’t worry, Joxer’s all yours." Auto said quickly.

Ares smirked, "I know, thief. Now remember my warning."

"Don’t worry, I will." Auto said confused. Why was Ares behaving so insane all the time when he was obviously okay? Well, okay enough to threaten him.

"Ar, are you going to do that thing we were talking about earlier?" Joxer asked as he strolled back into the room.

Ares immediately picked up on Joxer’s meaning and said, "Coming with?"

"Sure. What about Auto? We can’t leave him behind." Joxer said worriedly.

"Eris will play with him." Ares said as he mentally called to his sister.

"What’s up?" Discord asked as she appeared in the room immediately noticing that Ares was still ill.

Ares smiled widely, "Look after Auto while me and Joxiekins play?"

"Sure." Discord answered second before the pair disappeared.

 

"Joxer, What’s wrong?" Ares asked concerned as they appeared in the halls of time. He was relieved that his family were giving him a wide berth, knowing they wouldn’t try and stop him in case he destroyed in a fit of insanity. It was a lot more fun playing the insane god than he thought it would be.

"Nothing, Ar. I’m just worried about Auto. Discord won’t hurt him, will she?"

"Nah. Not permanently anyway. Lets go and check on my troublesome nephew." Ares said with a grin, placing one arm around Joxer’s shoulders.

With a grin Ares made a mirror appear of a couple of months before Cupid and Strife’s break up. Of course the first thing that appeared was the pair having sex, something they seemed to have spent all their time doing.

He watched carefully for any sign that something was wrong with Strife but couldn’t find anything. About two weeks before the pair broke up the mirror went black unable to show him anymore. Ares growled in annoyance unable to understand why his request was being denied. Only one person had the power to do limit access in the Halls of Time - Zeus. Ares started planning just how he would convince his father to agree with him.

Joxer piped up, "Maybe you should look at what happened after they broke up? Did Strife act strange, well stranger than usual afterwards? Maybe that’s where the answer lies."

Now that Joxer had mentioned it, Ares realised that Strife had disappeared for a year right after the pair broke up. It was worrying, had Zeus somehow threatened his favourite nephew, if so Ares would stop at nothing to get revenge. He couldn’t view that time either so he focused on after that had happened.

At Ares’ request the mirror started playing images from about a year and a half after the break up. Ares frowned as he saw Strife’s growing loneliness and isolation. As the fiasco with Psyche started Ares froze the mirror, focusing on the loss and pain on Strife’s face when he first met Bliss.

 

In his small hidden temple Strife was looking through the mementos he had of happier times. These were all that remained of his relationship with Cupid, the one who had managed to take something he swore he would never give, his soul.

Cupid had just assumed Strife ended the relationship because he no longer cared for the love god. Nothing was further from the truth, he had still loved Cupid but had managed to hide the feelings underneath rage, anger and misery. Once people felt those dark emotions, they didn’t look any further. It was something he had counted on.

How could Cupid want to be with him after what he had done? He knew everyone would hate him once they knew the truth! How could he ever tell anyone that he had given up his own child, a child he had carried for nine months? The answer was simple, he couldn’t.

He had been unable to react while he watched his son being abused. He knew Joxer would hate him for that if he knew the truth. He was a God and he had been powerless to act. He knew he would have to tell Joxer the truth soon though, even if it was breaking the curse placed upon him. As long as his son was happy, it didn’t matter. He could cope with spending eternity away from his family.

Strife had noticed Cupid’s reaction to Joxer. He couldn’t blame the love god, it was typical of the way Gods reacted to their descendents. They were drawn to those that carried godly blood, like months to a flame. So it was inevitable seeing how Joxer was Cupid’s son. His son had a special destiny though, something he couldn’t let anyone interfere with that was the reason he had given Joxer up.

"Strife, we need to speak to you." Clotho’s voice echoed causing the god to disappear from the room.

 

As Strife appeared in their room Lachesis said seriously, "We have discovered that you intend to reveal the truth to Ares and Joxer. Surely you can see it could cause more problems than it’ll solve?"

Strife snarled, "He deserves to know! Besides, you only saw a possible future not a definite one. Telling Joxer could prevent everything."

Clotho said sorrowfully, "So be it. Remember Mischief the cost of telling the truth. Surely you can’t wish to spend eternity like that?"

"If that’s the cost of helping my child, so be it. Joxer would be protected from the others." Strife said with an unconcerned shrug, knowing they wouldn’t interfere again after the promise they had made to him when he gave up his Joxer. The promise never to interfere in his life again.

"Leave but know your actions could doom us all." Atropos said as she waved her hand causing Strife to disappear with a poof.

Strife appeared in his temple with a sigh, unable to decide what to do. Should he go with his instincts and tell Joxer the truth regardless of the possible consequences or should he remain quiet? More importantly would Joxer hate him once he discovered the truth? If he did, Strife could understand it. He had left Joxer alone for years, never stopping the abuse. What kind of father did that make him?

Gaia’s voice echoed in his head, "You’re not perfect, Strife. Just follow you heart, it’ll tell you what to do."

Strife replied with a groan, "Thanks for the advice Grandmother but this is my choice and I need to think about it."

"Just remember sometimes you have to go by instinct. When the time is right you will know." Gaia answered before retreating to let her grandson think alone.

Part 4

Strife took a deep breath and made his decision, he was going to tell the truth. It was the only thing he could do. With a thought he flashed into his uncle’s temple mentally requesting Cupid and Ares to join him knowing he didn’t need to ask his uncle to bring Joxer with him.

"What do you want now, Mischief?" Cupid said with a groan as he appeared in his fathers sitting on a nearby chair.

"I’ll tell ya once Unc and Joxer are here." Strife responded ignoring the way his heart clenched when Cupid called him by his godhood and not his name. It had been this way for years but every time Cupid called him Mischief it hurt.

As Joxer and Ares appeared Strife smiled at his son, "Joxer, I have something to tell you. I’m sorry for not telling you sooner."

"Strife, wait until we’re sitting down!" Ares ordered as he pulled Joxer down onto a nearby loveseat.

"I guess the best thing is to just say it. Joxer, you’re my son. Well mine and Cupid’s to be exact, you’re a god. You don’t have powers yet because you have to be officially recognised by the Pantheon first. We created the rule after Callisto."

"How could you take my child and place him in the mortal world?" Cupid shouted as he blasted Strife across the room.

Brushing the dust from his clothes Strife stood answering, "I didn’t have a fucking choice! The Fates said if I didn’t give him up Zeus would kill him before he was two months old. If I told anyone before Joxer came to Olympus as the guest of War he would die and never be reborn. If I told anyone afterwards then I would be the one to pay the price but I deserve it."

The Fates appeared saying as one, "Strife God of Mischief, you have disobeyed one of our edicts and must be punished. The punishment is either death without rebirth or eternal banishment. We will consider your actions before making our decision."

"Wait! You can’t do this!" Joxer shouted as he jumped up unwilling to see his father be punished for telling the truth.

"Who are you to tell us what to do?" Clotho said scornfully.

Joxer smirked, "Apparently I’m the son of love and mischief. Why did you say he could not reveal the truth?"

Lachesis sighed, "Because the world is not ready for the son of love and mischief."

"WAIT!" Gaia shouted as she flashed into the room, "The pieces are in position. There is no need to punish Strife. He has simply played his part."

"We must punish him, for he has broken one of our rules. Our punishment is death." Atropos said sadly.

Strife said resigned, "When will my punishment start?"

"Now." Clotho said as she waived a hand and the God of Mischief died as Strife disappeared.

"NO! Not my baby!" Discord shouted as she flashed into the room, tears of pain and loss streaming down her beautiful face.

 

"You’re dead, Strife!" Hades exclaimed in shock.

"Yeah, so when does my eternal torment start?"

Hades grinned impishly, "It doesn’t. You are one of my Immortals; The Fates knew that when they sent you down here. However you are no longer a god. Now it is time for me to play my part in the grand scheme of things, I want you to find a man called Methos. He’s my best warrior and works exclusively for me. He will tell you the rules you must live by, follow them. Tell him Hades sent you to him to be his shield-mate."

"His shield mate? I’m in love with Cupid!" Strife protested.

"Think Strife! Are you in love with Cupid or the person Cupid once was? He has changed a lot since you broke up."

"How am I supposed to know? I don’t do love!" Strife said angrily.

Hades sighed, "Just go with Methos, he’ll help you. He may be brutal but once you’re in his heart, he looks after you forever."

Strife sighed not seeing a way of escaping, "I’ll let this Methos fuck me if that’s what my punishment is. Any idea where he is?"

"I’ll send you about half an hour from him. Wear this necklace and he will immediately spot you."

"Later." Strife said as Hades made him disappear in a flash of sparks.

 

Methos frowned as he felt a strange need to go south, he tried to go away but every road led to the same place. Withdrawing his sword he waited only to find the clearing empty apart from a man sitting on a stone angrily muttering about getting even with The Fates for taking away his son.

Methos didn’t react as the presence of the strange immortal went through him but he noticed the startled grimace in the new immortal’s face. Keeping his sword visible Methos walked forward and pointed it at the new immortal.

Strife growled, "Don’t tell me this is part of the gig? Hades never mentioned this! I’m going to fucking kill him when I catch up with him!"

Methos laughed lowly, "You wouldn’t be the first to try and kill death. Who are you and what do you want?"

"The name’s Strife. I’m here because the fucking Fates decided to kill me for disobeying one of their ridiculous rules."

"You’re not dead, you’re an Immortal. So what did Hades say when you saw him?"

"I’m supposed to be your shield-mate. Believe me, I’m only doing this because I don’t have any choice."

Methos grinned, "I don’t need a unwilling body to fuck, there are more than enough willing people. However since Hades has said that I’m to take you with me, so be it. You must be important for Hades to send you to me. Who were you before you died?"

With a snort at the man’s lack of knowledge of the gods Strife responded, "The God of Mischief. So where are we heading?"

Looking Strife over Methos said, "Until Hades asked me back here I was heading for Egypt. How come The Fates killed you? It must be pretty serious for them to kill a god?"

"I told my son, Joxer, who he was. I had to give my son up to a mortal family because The Fates said Zeus would kill him if me and Cupid kept him."

"Cupid, god of love? I thought he was with that Psyche?"

"He is and he hates me." Strife said with a shrug.

"Well maybe you’re better off without him. Come on Strife," Methos said as he got on his horse, reaching down to pull Strife up beside him.

Hades watched what was happening with a grin, now that his son was safely with his best warrior, Methos, he could ensure the next part of the plan worked. His plan would ensure the survival of his son even if it meant he had to separate Strife from his family. The Fates had known about his intentions, he was sure of it simply because they had placed no restrictions on him concerning his son.

 

Joxer looked over at the angry Gods planning to get even with The Fates for punishing Strife, his father. It was weird to think of himself as being the son of both Love and Mischief but it would explain some of the scrapes he had managed to get himself into.

Joxer smiled at the quartet, "Still planning on torturing The Fates or have you come up with a better plan?"

"Like you could to any better (!)" Discord said with a laugh wanting to take the chance to see what her grandson was made of. She knew if he was anything like Strife, Joxer would never turn down a challenge.

Joxer shrugged, "Firstly speak to Zeus. He must have known what The Fates were planning if he was willing to let Strife disappear for a year, not to mention he blocked access to Strife’s life. Secondly why not speak directly to Hades? He might let you speak to Strife then you could find out if he has any ideas on what to do."

"I doubt he would speak to me but maybe you Cupid?" Ares said looking at his son.

Cupid growled, "If not, I’ll threaten to make him impotent for the six months he has with Persephone. If that fails there’s always torture."

"What about speaking to Gaia? Grandmothers tend to know everything." Joxer said thoughtfully.

"I’ll do that." Discord said with a nod.

Aphrodite offered, "I’ll speak to Zeus. No offence but he might be willing to listen to me a little more than he does to you guys."

"Jox and I will take care of The Fates." Ares said looking at the others.

"Nice to see you’ve regained your mind, bro." Aphrodite said with a laugh.

Joxer smirked, "Nothing like a family crisis to bring back your sanity."

There were four flashes of light tinged with anger as the group went to their assigned tasks focused entirely on getting Strife back. They were so caught up in their task that they failed to realise they had left Auto alone in the temple where he was gently helping himself to a few trinkets.

 

"I want Strife back NOW!" Cupid shouted as he appeared in his uncle’s home.

Hades laughed, "Cupid, you can’t go about making demands.."

"Listen you cold-hearted fuck, I want him back! If I don’t get him, I’m going to get very angry!"

Hades narrowed his eyes at the blonde, "Since when have you cared about him anyway?"

Cupid snarled, "I’ve always cared about him or have you forgotten that we were engaged?"

Hades’ eyes flashed with fire as he answered, "I haven’t forgotten but as I recall that relationship ended just over twenty eight years ago. You left Strife alone and started to play happy families with Psyche."

"Since when have you cared about how I treat Strife?" Cupid said in shock.

Looking at the man who had hurt his son Hades said seriously, "He would sometimes talk to me when everyone started ignoring him. You broke his heart and now you want me to give him back so you can hurt him even more? That’s *never* going to happen, Cupid. You can threaten me as much as you want but I won’t change my mind."

Cupid gave a wolfish grin, "If that’s how you want it. I Cupid of the House of Love, declare war on the House of Death! The war will only end when you give Strife back, Hades!"

Hades didn’t react when Cupid disappeared from the room not willing to give the younger God the satisfaction of a reaction. He didn’t know what he was going to do now. There was no way he would tell them were Strife was, he knew his son would be safer away from the Love God. He wanted Strife to be happy; that was why he had told the former god to go with Methos. Methos and Strife were alike in a lot of ways, he was sure they would be good for each other. Maybe he could contact Methos and warn him about the danger Strife was in? He knew Zeus would be out for blood if he discovered Strife was alive.

Part 5

"Its about time you got here, Eris." Gaia said with a sad smile.

"I take it you know about what happened to my son and why he was punished?"

Gaia nodded, "I know but there is much to be played out before Strife will return."

Discord asked in shock, "Do you swear Strife will return?"

"I swear it grandchild. Protect Joxer, now is a dangerous time for him."

"Why is Zeus so afraid of him? Who is he?" Discord said thoughtfully.

Gaia grinned ruefully, "That young man can bring about the end of the Gods. His marriage will decide the fate of Olympus. If he marries the correct person then Olympus will be strong enough to survive the coming troubles, if he doesn’t we are doomed."

"Who is it he’s supposed to marry?" Discord retorted wondering if whoever it was would be worthy of him. Her grandchild was going to marry someone he deserved no matter what the Fates said.

"Only Moira knows and she will not say." Gaia said ignoring her granddaughter’s growl of annoyance.

Discord fumed, "How am I supposed to convince him to marry a stranger to save people who have essentially ignored him and abandoned him?

"Speak to Hera about young Joxer, she can help." Gaia said signally their discussion was at an end.

 

Ares said angrily, "You killed my nephew and I want to know why!"

"It was his destiny but his son will ensure all is right." Moira smiled gently.

"We cannot tell you more, you must trust us in this matter." Atropos said a second later.

Joxer said scornfully, "Trust you when you killed my dad? I can tell you now, that’s never going to happen."

Clotho grinned, "Maybe but let me give you a piece of advice the man you must speak to is the living dead."

"He will bring back your father," Moira smiled at their shock.

"A baccae?" Ares questioned in shock as he wrapped one arm around Joxer’s waist and the pair disappeared.

 

Joxer held onto his friend tightly as they appeared back in the war god’s temple. Sighing the warrior asked, "Ar, what am I supposed to do now? I’ve just found out I’m the son of a two Gods one of whom has been killed because of me."

Hugging Joxer Ares said softly, "You survive like we all do. You’re not alone, I will never leave you. Now Cupid knows who you are there’s no way he’s going to leave you."

"Thanks. You think there’s anything we can do to help dad?"

Ares said honestly, "I don’t know. Hera will understand the pain Strife went through when he gave you up. Zeus will be angry, he must have known about Strife’s pregnancy."

"If he did then why didn’t he kill me?"

Ares shrugged, "There’s nothing about you to suggest you’re a demi-god so he wouldn’t have noticed you."

Anger radiating from him in waves Cupid flashed in snarling, "Fucking cold hearted bastard won’t give Strife back to me! Hades said all I did was hurt Strife and wouldn’t give him back because of it."

Ares said gently, "You did hurt him though, everyone could feel the pain from him. He hasn’t smiled or laugh in years. You flaunted your relationship with Psyche in front of him."

"I was angry. Do you know how he broke up with me? He smiled and said that he was going to spend a year with an lover of his from Asia he had been seeing for the last ten years."

Ares scowled, "That should have been your first clue that something was wrong! He’s only been involved with you and Apollo."

Cupid shouted as his father, "How was I supposed to know? I didn’t exactly ask for his complete sexual history when we got together."

Joxer growled at his father in disbelief, "I can see what Hades was talking about! You should have known dad. I might not know much about him but I can tell he isn’t the kind to cheat on someone."

The blonde looked at his son for a second before answering, "Don’t presume to tell me how I’m supposed to act! It’s your fault he’s dead in the first place."

Ares growled and lunged a fireball at his son unable to believe the way Cupid was treating Joxer. He couldn’t believe his own son had become so cold and that he hadn’t realised. How could Cupid shout at his own son merely three hours after discovering who he was?

Glaring at the pair Joxer shouted, "STOP! Cupid, I know it is my fault he died and I want him back. If you’re not going to help then leave."

Silence reigned for a few seconds before a sullen Cupid said, "Fine, I’ll help Strife. Even though he did betray me. What did the Fates say, dad?"

"I’ll tell you when the others get here. What exactly did Hades say?"

Cupid shrugged, "He’s never going to give Strife back. I declared war on The House Of Death in the name of The House of Love."

"Rescind it! We don’t have time for a war!" Ares said amazed at his son’s attitude.

Cupid stuck his chin out defiantly, "I told him the war will only end when he returns Strife."

Joxer said reasonably, "Threatening him isn’t going to make him agree with you. He obviously cares for dad and he’s not going to give him back to be hurt."

 

Aphrodite appeared angry, "The Old Goat just smiled when I told him Strife was dead. He said we needn’t worry as Strife wouldn’t be missed."

"He probably thinks it will be easier to find Strife’s son now." Ares shrugged while he squeezed Joxer’s hand supportively.

Joxer said honestly, "As soon as I’m formally introduced, he’s going to figure out who I am."

"Yeah but we’ll be able to protect you then." Discord said with a smirk appearing in the room without her usual sparks.

Joxer grinned at his grandmother, "Thank you for doing all this. What did Gaia tell you?"

"She promised Strife will return and said you determine the fate of Olympus."

Joxer said happily, "Dad’s really coming back! That’s great."

"What did you mean determine the fate of Olympus?" Ares asked suspiciously looking at his dark sister who was avoiding his eyes.

Discord said seriously, "If Joxer marries the right person we will survive the Twilight if not then we will be killed."

Joxer bit his lip nervously, "Did she say who I was supposed to marry?"

"No, only Moira knows and she refuses to say anything." Discord confessed sadly.

Angry Joxer retorted, "I’m only getting married to the man I love! I’m sorry but that’s it!"

Aphrodite said seriously, "Joxie, you have no choice in this. You have to marry the right person. I’m sorry but its about the survival of all of us."

"NO! You’re not marrying me off to anyone!" Joxer said as he leaned against Ares, shaking in anger and fear. He knew if they really wanted to, they could force him.

Ares shouted in outrage, "You’re not taking him away from me!"

Sadly Cupid said, "Dad, this isn’t just about you two anymore. The many are more important than the few."

"NO ONE is taking Joxer!" Ares shouted angrily as he flashed out of the room taking Joxer with him.

 

Angry Aphrodite shouted at her sister, "Why did you tell them? You should have waited until we could find out who Joxer has to marry. It might even be someone Joxer likes."

"What’s this about you declaring war with Hades?" Aphrodite said disapprovingly as she looked at her son.

Cupid protested, "It’ll make him give back Strife, I thought you wanted that!"

Discord nodded, "We do. However, its never a good idea to anger the God of the Underworld, you never know when we might need his help. I’ll go and explain was just an expression of grief, he’ll let it go."

Aphrodite nodded, "Its worth a try. Now I’m going to see if I can convince Moira to tell me who Joxer has to marry."

"Fine mom, I’ll be with Bliss if you want me." Cupid said as he disappeared from the room.

Appearing from behind a pillar Auto enquired, "Aren’t any of you going to help Joxer? It seems a little unfair that’s he got to deal with all this alone."

"He’s not alone. Ares is with him and will take care of him." The love goddess said smiling.

"What are you doing here?" Eris asked worried the thief had heard everything.

"Ares wanted to play with me earlier. He came and got me when I was hanging out with Herc and Xena. Could one of you send me back?"

Aphrodite nodded, "I’ll take you. If you tell anyone what happened today I will hunt you down and show you just how cruel love can be."

"Okay. The others will be looking for Joxer though, what do I tell them?"

"Just say I promise to take care of him." Aphrodite said helpfully, it was the truth.

"Okay but they won’t believe me." Auto answered as the pair disappeared.

 

Aphrodite appeared at her brother’s camp shocked to find him and Iolaus arguing over Zeus while Gabrielle took notes. As the goddess appeared Xena narrowed her eyes suspiciously as she looked at Auto.

"What’s up bro?" Aphrodite said smiling cheerfully.

Hercules answered angrily, "Iolaus has been fucking Zeus. Ares told me so."

The love goddess shook her head, "Not true. Do me a favour and keep away from Ares for a while? He’s under a little stress."

"You mean he’s lost his mind. What has he done to Joxer?" Xena countered not wanting the man to be in danger, she knew from personal experience how dangerous Ares was.

Outraged Aphrodite said, "He would *never* hurt Joxer! They’re best friends. Joxer is a helping Ares recover from the stress he’s under. Have you got any idea how exhausting it is to do this job for hundreds of years?

Iolaus grinned, "I’ve never thought about it. Can you tell Joxer I’d like to hear from him sometime. I just want to make sure he is okay."

"Will do." Aphrodite said as she disappeared leaving only rose petals in her wake.

 

"You actually going to talk to me today or what?" Methos said with a smirk as he looked at the new immortal.

Strife smiled, "Yeah but don’t expect anything deep. I’m still angry about what happened. So how long have you worked for Hades?"

"Four hundred years so far. I’m his Horseman of Death."

Strife nodded, "Do you like your job?"

Methos said honestly, "Yeah. This way I know the people I kill are supposed to die at that time. The way I see it death is part of the natural cycle and all I’m doing is taking my place in the cycle."

"How did he find you?" Strife said wanting to know about the man he was going to be with for the foreseeable future.

Methos shrugged, "No idea. He just turned up one day and said he had a job for me. He explained the job and pointed out if I didn’t kill the people someone else would but this way I could make sure they didn’t suffer. If he wants someone to suffer he gives them to me, I take care of all the people with whom Hades has a personal score to settle."

"Hmm. I did the same for Ares. I was the star pupil of our God of Pain so people are normally given to me when Ares feels they need special attention."

"You like this Ares then?"

Strife smiled, "He’s great. He’s been like a father to me, he didn’t even freak at me after I broke up with Cupid. The featherbrained idiot didn’t bother to try and stop me. The annoying part is that it was a really weak lie, he should have known I wasn’t telling the truth but he didn’t."

"Maybe he didn’t love you, or know you as much as you thought then." Seeing the look of contemplation on Strife’s face Methos changed the subject quickly, "Did Hades tell you about the rules of our existence?"

"No. He just said you would fill me in."

"Okay, we can’t fight on holy ground of any religion. I saw someone do that once, when he won his body was literally burnt to ashes."

"Nice (!) Anything else?"

Thinking he liked this kid's attitude Methos said, "We fight to the death, one on one. Decapitation is the only way to kill us. *No one* can interfere once a fight has started."

"How long until we meet your friends?"

Knowing he needed to tell Strife some truths about the man’s new situation Methos explained, "About two months. They’re the other three horsemen. They are immortals who are doing this because they want to. The others should leave you alone if I make it clear that you’re mine which means we will be sleeping together regularly and you are not to address anyone but me. You are to come with me all the time, I will teach you to fight. I know they are seriously nuts but being with them helps me perform my job and it stops them coming after me."

"I understand. I’ll do what is expected of me. What am I supposed to call you?" Strife said quickly amazed the Horsemen sounded fairly reasonable.

Methos smiled, "Methos when we’re alone and Death when we’re not. It’ll take at least four hundred years before they accept you. Every couple of hundred years we will take a break and retreat somewhere to hideout. At which time you come with me and we’ll go travelling a while where you can take your place at my side."

Strife absorbed the information asking hesitantly, "Okay. Can I ask what I’m supposed to do when The Horsemen go on raids?"

"You come with us and do as I ask. You haven’t got any weaknesses about torture, slavery or rape have you because they are very common amongst the Horsemen?"

"It doesn’t matter if I do because its now my existence. What happens if one of the others come after me?"

Methos growled, "I will deal with it, in their eyes you are my property. When we’re alone, we can talk more but in public I will have to be fairly harsh to you. If they see I’m attached to you then they will come after both of us."

"Okay. You know, I’ll never even see my son again. If we ever come back to Greece, he will probably be dead."

"You will survive, as we all do. You can always talk to me as long as we’re alone."

"Thanks, Methos." Strife said sincerely as they boarded the boat taking them from Greece and his family.

Part 6

Aphrodite smiled at the scene before her as she appeared in Ares' place. Joxer was lying asleep in her brother's arms, with Ares curled around him protectively. She had guessed where the God would go; the cabin always was a place of safety for Ares. It was somewhere he could relax without the worry of someone taking advantage of his vulnerable state.

Vulnerable was hardly a word anyone would associate with Ares but that was because no one took the time to get to know the real Ares. Many were content to paint him as the enemy, even the other gods who knew it wasn't true.

Ares had never wanted to become war, as a child he had wanted to be the god of redemption, a godhood that was still unclaimed. However he was the only one strong enough to carry the sword of war without going insane. If another god tried they would quickly be overtaken by insanity before being incinerated. Any of the mortals foolish enough would only get a painful death, which would take days.

War was necessary to control the population and to encourage progress. Although many didn't see it progress came from war, new inventions and philosophies were created as a direct result of Ares' godhood. The other gods viewed war and therefore Ares, as something that was too primitive to exist in their world. This resulted in Ares being ignored and openly insulted by the majority of his family.

"That was a stupid thing to do, bro." Aphrodite said seriously.

Ares arched his eyebrows, "Really? How was I supposed to react?"

"Not like that, all you've done is create problems for the rest of us. How do you think dad's going to react now?"

Ares sighed, "I honestly couldn't care. I'm tired of having to give up everything because of the Fates and my Godhood. Sometimes I wish I was mortal, they don't seem to have all these problems. If they love someone, they can be with them."

"Who do you love, Ares?" Aphrodite asked gently knowing how inexperienced her former lover was in matters of the heart.

Ares laughed lowly, "You mean my sister, the Goddess of Love doesn't know? Its Joxer. Not that it matters because he's already in love with some demi-god."

"Really? There's only one person he's ever cared about and its not a demi-god."

Ares growled, "Don't even mention that bard of my daughter's to me! She doesn't deserve him!"

"I wasn't talking about her. Just think, whose attention has Joxer been trying to get all his life?" Aphrodite asked with a smirk before leaving the room.

"Want me to tell you?" Joxer asked making the war god jump.

Trying to cover up his reaction Ares stated, "You're awake."

"Yeah. Kinda obvious. I repeat; do you want me to tell you?" Joxer smirked.

Taking Ares' silence as an affirmative answer Joxer said with a grin, "You."

"WHAT?" Ares gasped out in shock

Amused at his friend's behaviour Joxer said, "You."

"Really?" Ares asked hopefully, unable to believe what he was hearing.

Joxer nodded, "Yeah. You are the one I have spent my whole life trying to impress, the one I love."

"That's wonderful. We can be together now. Maybe I shouldn't have done that to your thief friend."

"What did you do to him? It can't be that bad, he's still alive." Joxer mused aloud.

"Nothing serious. Can I kiss you?"

"Yes." Joxer said as the god pulled him closer.

They kissed softly, gently exploring each other's mouths. To Joxer it was like coming home, like finding a part of himself he didn't even know was missing. It was every thing he had dreamed of and more. In short it was perfect.

 

From his place near the door Auto commented, "You know it's probably not a good idea to upset Ares right now. He does seem a little unstable, just look at his behaviour earlier."

"What are we going to do now?" Iolaus said looking at the room covered in broken furniture and pottery.

Gabrielle shrugged as she dropped a large pot, "No idea but I'm glad I don't have to tidy this up."

Hercules rolled his eyes at the pair, "Simple. I'll ask father to help." Looking up he shouted, "FATHER!"

There was a crash of thunder before Zeus appeared, "I'm here son. Could you please stop shouting?"

Hercules said quickly, "Sorry. Father, we need your help. Ares has kidnapped my friend. I went to his temple but he didn't answer and his priests say he isn't available."

At the reminder of his slightly insane son Zeus frowned, "Your brother is taking a little vacation. What friend are you talking about?"

"Joxer." Hercules said in annoyance.

Zeus stopped to think for a moment before saying. "Oh yes, the bard. He's perfectly fine. I believe he is showing Ares how to paint or something trival."

"So he's not in any danger." Xena said shocked.

"I already told you that!" Auto said annoyed. If they had listened to him, all this could have been avoided. All they had done was managed to capture the attention of a volatile war god.

"No, your brother is quite found of the mortal. I need you to look for a woman for me. She will be twenty-seven with dark hair, and a small scar of a goblet on her thigh. She was born in either Corinth or Thebes."

"Why is this woman so important?" Xena asked narrowing her eyes at the god.

Ignoring her anger Zeus explained, "This woman is very dangerous. If you don't find her, she will bring about the destruction of Greece."

"How?" Iolaus asked unable to see how one woman could cause such damage.

"She is a woman of godly blood. The only child of the sons of Aphrodite and Discord."

Shocked Gabrielle exclaimed, "That would be Cupid and Strife!"

Zeus nodded, "Yes. On her twenty eighth birthday, the child of Love and Mischief will marry. The fates have declared it to be so. Once the child is married, she will come into her powers and the destruction of Greece will begin. A destruction no one can stop."

Xena said determined, "We will find this woman. I assume, once you have her you can stop the destruction?"

"Yes. You have only three weeks before the marriage so time is of the essence." Zeus said knowing they were running out of time now that Strife had died.

"I understand Father." Hercules said seriously as the god disappeared from the room.

"Lets go, we've got a country to save." Hercules said looking at his friends.

Seconds later the five left intent on finding the woman, Joxer forgotten by all but Auto. He knew Joxer was the child of Love and Mischief and that Zeus wasn't being completely honest. The thief was determined to have a talk to Discord to let her know about Zeus' plan. Surely they could find some way of protecting Joxer?

Part 7

A week after starting their search Hercules smiled at the others as they entered Corinth, he was doing what he was meant to do – save the world. Even better was the fact that his father had actually come to him asking for help, making it obvious that he recognised Hercules’ importance.

Gabrielle spoke hesitantly, "What will Zeus do once we find this woman?"

"Stop her getting married, I imagine." Hercules said calmly, positive his father wasn’t going to hurt her.

‘Like he’s going to stop at that!’ Auto thought bitterly thankful no one knew Joxer was the one they were looking for.

"She must be evil if the gods are scared of her." Gabrielle said looking at the others for support.

Iolaus questioned, "Don’t you think its strange that Cupid and Strife allowed their to be raised as a mortal?"

Hercules shrugged, "Maybe they just couldn’t look after her. Life is difficult on Olympus."

"That doesn’t make sense." Xena murmured to herself as she looked at Iolaus who nodded in understanding.

Iolaus asked, "What do you think our chances are of finding this woman?"

Xena responded, "Not very good. We know where she might have been born but she probably moved and we haven’t got long."

"So we may not find her in time, Herc?"

Hercules nodded at the hunter, "Yeah. You think we should tell Cupid and Strife about what their child is going to do?"

Gabrielle grinned, "Good idea. They might be able to talk her out of getting married."

 

Auto broke away from the group anxiously looking around him before saying softly, "Ares, I need your help. Its about Joxer."

Ares appeared in a flash of sparks, "What’s wrong?"

Auto said quickly, "The four are after Joxer. Zeus has ordered them to bring Cupid and Strife’s child to him. they think that they’re looking for a woman so Joxer should be relatively safe. I thought I should tell you that Joxer has to get married on his 28th birthday."

Ares smirked, "Don’t worry, he’ll be married."

"How is he?"

Seeing the thief was just worried about his friend Ares answered honestly, "Seeing how Zeus isn’t coming near me we’re safe."

Auto smiled, "Okay. So are you going to marry him?"

"I do believe that’s nothing to do with you." Ares said with a dangerous growl.

Auto stepped back anxiously saying, "Look, I’m just worried about him."

Ares responded, "I know, that’s why I haven’t killed you."

 

Back at the campsite Xena was watching calmly as Hercules set up a protection circle. She hadn’t seen one of them made in a few years, travelling with the hero certainly made life interesting.

"Cupid! Cupid!" Hercules called out, quickly becoming angry when the love god refused to answer him.

Seeing the look of ire on his lover’s face Iolaus said seriously, "Cupid, we need to talk to you please. Its about yours and Strife’s child."

Cupid appeared in the campsite quickly wondering just what had happened to Joxer now. His son seemed to get in trouble all the time at least that’s what he felt after viewing Joxer’s life in the Halls of Time.

Cupid said suspiciously, "How did you find out about my child?"

Xena answered him carefully, "Zeus told us. Look you have to convince her not to get married!"

‘Her,’ Cupid thought to himself in shock. Recovering quickly he said, "Why should I deny my child a marriage?"

Looking at the handsome and clearly angry god Gabrielle said, "Zeus said if your child gets married then she’s going to cause the end of Greece."

"Thanks for the warning. Why did Zeus tell you?" Cupid said seriously.

"He’s asked us to bring your daughter to him so that he can ensure she doesn’t marry."

"I’ll see what I can do." Cupid said disappearing from the clearing in a show of pink sparks. He had no intention of doing anything as the Fates had told him that he could not influence his son’s decision.

Iolaus looked at the group before saying, "Do you think he’ll be successful?"

Xena shrugged, "No idea but we should find her anyway. She might listen to us more than she does a god. From the sound of it the Gods haven’t done anything but abandon her."

 

Joxer slept fitfully lost in a world of pain and darkness. He watched frozen as all the gods on Olympus disappeared, fading into nothingness. As he watched Ares die, Joxer screamed out in denial.

"Young One, this is what will come to pass should you make the wrong decision." Destiny said slowly as she descended from a long staircase, moving to sit at the man’s side.

Wracking his mind Joxer said finally, "What decision do you speak of?"

"You are at a crossroad, Young One. The path you take from here will determine the Fate of Olympus and the gods."

"When must I make this decision?" Joxer asked sadly.

Destiny said apologetically, "Come to us with your decision on your 28th birthday. Think carefully before you decide, the consequences are far reaching. You must look inside yourself and choose."

As the woman disappeared, Joxer looked around at the empty Olympus absorbing the full knowledge of the pain he could cause. He didn’t know what to do. The only decision he could think of was his marriage. If indeed Destiny was talking about that, what should he do? Every part of him wanted to marry Ares, to spend eternity with the one he loved. If it were the wrong decision though, he would be the death of the one he loved and his godly family.

 

He needed someone to talk to about his decision. Someone who knew the hardship of having to decide between your heart and your duty. Who would understand his feelings? Who could he trust to help without taking advantage of him?

Suddenly it hit him…Hera! The goddess was probably the best one to speak to as both Queen of the Gods and the Goddess of Marriage. She had made a similar decision herself when she had married Zeus knowing she was in love with Hades.

Forcing himself to wake, Joxer looked over at his lover worriedly. He wanted to tell Ares about the choice being forced on him but somehow he couldn’t bring himself to do so. Smiling Joxer said, "Ar, can you ask your mother to come here? I need to speak to her about something."

Shaking off the hurt at the thought that his lover wouldn’t talk to him about something that was obviously causing him pain Ares answered, "Of course. I guess you’ll want to talk with her alone?"

Joxer said reassuringly, "Yes. I’ll talk to you about it later. I just need to talk to her first. Everything is going to be fine."

On Olympus Hera was shocked to hear her son politely requesting her presence in his hideaway. She had only ever been there once; when she had comforted her son after the death of his first friend. He had been so caring then, that was before the hatred and scorn felt towards him had made him retreat into himself, so far that not even she could reach him.

She quickly appeared shocked at finding her son cradling the form of the mortal bard Joxer. The bard was in agony, she could feel the pain pouring from him. When he saw her the bard grinned and pushed Ares away. Her son hugged Joxer before disappearing in a flash of light.

Hera said regally, "You need to talk to me, Joxer?"

Joxer bowed to her slightly before answering, "Yes Ma’am. I need some advice and you’re the best person I could think to talk to. I have been told that I’ve got an important decision to make. My choice will affect everyone, even the Gods."

"What decision is this?" Hera questioned not knowing how a mortal could be so important.

"I think it is my marriage. Should I follow my heart or my duty?"

Hera pondered the question before saying, "For a marriage to be successful love is needed. However it is true that two people can learn to love each other. If this decision is so important I can only say follow your duty."

Joxer nodded in understanding, "Thank you for being so honest. How are you today, my Queen?"

Hera smiled, "I am very well however I am worried about will happen now Strife has left us. He was a kind if somewhat tortured man. I could sense it from him, he was always so misunderstood."

"He was needed though." Joxer said suddenly.

"Indeed he was. Tell me a little about yourself Joxer."

Joxer shrugged, "I am twenty eight in two weeks today, I travel around the country searching for people that need help. However I have come to realise I am not meant to be a warrior. Ar, sorry Ares suggested I spend time figuring out what I wanted to do with my life. I know now, I want to be a bard. I want to entertain and make people think."

"A noble ambition indeed. How do you feel about my son?"

"I love him ma’am."

Hera smiled happily, "That’s a relief. I will go and let you think in peace. If you need to talk about your decision please ask Ares to contact me."

"I will ma’am. Thank you for helping me." Joxer said sincerely as the goddess disappeared.

Ares flashed into the room anxious to find out what the pair had discussed. When his lover looked at him with gleaming eyes, the god felt helpless. He was lost inside those beautiful eyes, he could happily spend forever gazing at his beloved.

Joxer grinned at his lover before saying seriously, "I have made a decision about my marriage."

Not liking the mortal’s tone Ares asked, "What decision?"

Joxer smiled, "The only one I could make in the circumstances. I love you."

"I love you too." Ares said happily as he wrapped one arm around the man’s waist. They fell into a comfortable silence, which was now normal between them. Ares had become remarkably introspective ever since they had declared their love for each other.

Joxer had briefly wondered if it was to do with his dead father. Hades had refused to say anything about Strife was saying the souls in his domain were not to be disturbed by the living. Joxer resolved to keep silent, secure in the knowledge that Ares would reveal what was bothering him in due time.

 

In a darkened room Clotho whispered, "Joxer has made a decision."

"Is it the one we foresaw?" Destiny looked at the woman worriedly.

Atropos said seriously, "Yes. We must prepare."

Destiny returned, "We will be ready."

"We have to be." Lachesis finished the sentence seriously.

 

Two weeks later Joxer sighed knowing it was time. Even though he and Ares had only spent three weeks together as lovers, Joxer would cherish those memories for the rest of his life. The last fortnight had seen the pair just spending time together.

They hadn’t made love because Ares had said he wanted to wait until they were married. Joxer could only pray that Ares would forgive him this betrayal. Even if he didn’t Joxer would be content with the knowledge that he wouldn’t have to watch Ares die.

With a kiss to the sleeping war god’s head Joxer whispered, "I will marry whoever the prophecy decrees."

"Thank you for doing this." Eris said seriously as she hugged the man. With a thought the pair reappeared in the Fates’ chamber.

Destiny looked up at the mortal, "Young One, you have made your decision."

Joxer said sadly, "Yes. Can we just get this over with?"

"Of course." Atropos said gently as she moved the man forward.

Clotho said, "Discord, leave. You are no longer required here."

Eris disappeared in a flash of sparks knowing better than to upset the Fates. If you did, it meant trouble. As she reappeared in her room Eris wondered the wisdom of what Joxer was doing. She knew the mortal was doing it to save his family but in doing so he had lost his chance with the one he truly loved, Ares.

 

"Joxer the lone child of Love and Mischief, we thank you for your sacrifice." Destiny said almost pityingly.

Joxer sighed as a blindfold was tightly placed over his eyes. He stilled when he felt a god appearing in the room. There was nothing he could do now that his intended was here. He had lost his chance to be with the one he truly loved.

Lachesis announced, "Joxer, son of Cupid."

Clotho said solemnly, "Phobos, son of Ares."

Atropos continued in the same tone, "Drink and embrace your new path."

The pair drank the wine slowly, placing all their trust in the Fates between them. Unnoticed by anyone a tear fell from Joxer’s eyes as Destiny declared, "Joxer, God of Absent Lovers and Phobos, you are now married."

Taking off his own blindfold Phobos said shocked "What have you done to him?"

Joxer was lying on the floor, crying silently. Anger and pain radiated from the obviously distraught ex-mortal. Phobos was unsure what he could do, he didn’t even know anything about the his husband. How could he help someone when he didn’t know what was wrong?

Destiny murmured, "He is simply coming to terms with all the changes in his life."

Clotho said quickly, "I recommend you get him out of here. He needs somewhere he can feel safe."

Destiny’s voice echoed in their minds, "Joxer, Phobos! You must consummate your marriage before a day has passed."

Phobos nodded and gently picked up his new husband. Within seconds they were inside the master bedroom of his Olympus Temple. He wasn’t happy at their marriage and from the look of it neither was Joxer. They had no choice though, there was no point in fighting the Fates.

"Its not that bad!" Phobos said reassuringly as he rubbed the man’s shoulders.

Joxer said scornfully, "Yeah right (!) I’m in love with your father! I only married you because all the gods would be killed if I didn’t."

Realising what this was going to do to his father Phobos said sadly, "Look I’m not happy either but there’s nothing we can do about it. Who are you? There’s no way the Fates would be able to make a mortal into a god without Zeus’ permission."

Joxer nodded, "I’m the son of Cupid and Strife. I was sent into the mortal world because Strife was told Zeus would kill me if I stayed on Olympus."

 

Two weeks later Hercules looked fearfully at his friends. They had failed their mission. There was no way to stop Cupid and Strife’s daughter from getting married and destroying the country.

"What can we do now?" Gabrielle asked worriedly.

Hercules said seriously, "Nothing. We have failed."

Auto looked at the four wondering whether he should speak up and reassure them. Suddenly he found himself calling out, "ARES! ARES."

Ares appeared quickly wondering why the thief was asking for help. Smiling at the shocked look on the heroes’ faces Ares said, "What’s wrong, thief?"

Auto listened in shock as his voice asked, "Where is Joxer?"

Ares shrugged, "When I woke up he wasn’t there. He’s probably talking to my mother again."

Auto said quickly, "You’re wrong! Joxer has agreed to the marriage. You have to find him before the ceremony is complete."

Ares couldn’t believe his beloved could do that to him, searching quickly the god found his lover’s thread. Rage and panic burned through the war god as Ares disappeared from the clearing intent on rescuing his lover from a marriage that would break both of them.

 

Ares appeared in the room, seeing his lover in the arms of his son the War God screamed his denial. How could this have happened? He and Joxer were supposed to be married to each other with this in mind Ares quickly grabbed his love’s arm, only to be thrown across the room.

"AR! Are you okay?" Joxer asked worriedly as he jumped off the bed to tend to the god. He touched Ares causing pain to burn though both their bodies.

Phobos grabbed his husband’s arm saying urgently, "Joxer, don’t touch him. He’ll be fine, he was just knocked out."

Just then Ares regained consciousness immediately focusing on his beloved. Looking up at Joxer’s face he grinned, "I just had the weirdest dream, love. You were married to my son and I couldn’t touch you."

"Its not a dream. Just remember I will always love you, Ar." Joxer said crying as he stumbled to his feet.

"I love you too, Joxer." Ares said in a mix of sadness and rage. With one last look at the new god, Ares disappeared from the room.

Part 8

Leaving Phobos and Joxer alone in their new home Ares immersed himself in every little battle he could find. He brutally massacred enemies on the battlefield in an attempt to rid himself of his rage. It didn’t work. Unable to bear the thought of Joxer having sex with his son, Ares went to the Fates to find out exactly why they had been so cruel to him.

"Why did you do this?" Ares asked his voice equal parts anger and sorrow.

"We feel your pain but we had no choice in the matter. It simply had to come to pass. On the day of Zeus’ triumph over the Titans a prophecy was announced."

Ares glared at them, "What is the prophecy? What does it have to do with my Joxer?"

Not looking at him the most feared women in Greece calmly stated the prophecy together,

"When He who was resurrected dies again,

This prophecy shall come into play,

The child of Love and Mischief,

Will be forced to choose the Fate of us all.

If the Young One chooses duty,

Fright shall be called to the cave,

They shall be bound together,

Love’s child will bear their daughter.

She is both birth and death,

Aurora shall be her name,

At her meeting with the Grandmother

The gods will disappear from this plane.

Two undying ones will work with Aurora

These three souls shall bring together,

Three couples of impure blood,

When these Nine stand together,

At the place where He first died,

The earth mother will awaken,

Calling into being the new King

And the Gods shall be renewed."

Ares spat out angrily, "So Joxer did all this for nothing! The gods are going to be destroyed anyway!"

Lachesis protested, "If he didn’t do this there would be no chance of the gods being reborn. He did this so that you could live!"

"What was the other side of the prophecy?" Ares asked as he remembered their were two possible choices.

Destiny looked at him seriously before saying, "All the gods died while Joxer watched. He would become insane and allow Dahork to takeover the world."

Atropos declared, "You are helping Joxer, your parting ensures he will survive until the rebirth."

"Why can’t I touch him?" Ares asked thinking to himself everything would be okay if only he could take his beloved into his arms. He could have even coped seeing his Joxer married to another if he could hold him.

Clotho explained patiently, "It is because you are the choice he rejected. That path is closed to him, for now."

Destiny said softly, "Do not give up hope. You and Joxer will get through this."

"Easy for you to say." Ares said bitterly as he disappeared from the room.

 

With a friendly grin Phobos said, "Joxer, what do you say we at least try to be friends? We’re stuck together and I’d prefer to be with a friend than with someone who hates me."

Joxer said seriously, "I don’t hate you, I hate the situation. I guess we could be friends."

"Joxer? I’m not going to attack you, lie down on the bed," Phobos said soothingly.

Joxer ignored him as he ranted, "How am I supposed to cope now? I burn for Ar and I can’t even touch him!"

"I know, I’m sorry. Look we’ve only got five hours before the deadline. We have to er…consummate our marriage or this will all be for nothing."

Joxer nodded, "You’re right. I don’t want everyone to die, that was why I did this."

"I know. Look I’m not going to hurt you."

Joxer sighed, "Thank you for that. Are you a top, a bottom or both?"

"A top. Look, have you done this before?"

"Yeah." Joxer said dejectedly.

Phobos said ruefully, "At least that’s something."

Joxer nodded as they started undressing. He could do this, Joxer reassured himself. He didn’t know how but he would do it. He closed his eyes as he felt Phobos move over to him and kiss his cheek gently.

Directing the now naked man to the bed Phobos murmured, "I’m sorry about this. If it helps, think of dad."

Joxer heard him but knew he couldn’t do that. It would be a betrayal of his feelings for the war god. He didn’t know why he was put in this position but he would do his duty. He fell back onto the bed, opening his eyes the god looked up at his husband.

 

"How are you?" Clotho asked the next day as Joxer appeared in the Fates’ Cave.

"Alive. We consummated our marriage, happy?"

Lachesis smiled at him, "Yes actually. Let me be the first to tell you that you are with child."

"WHAT!" Joxer shouted shocked.

Phobos appeared looking around for the source of Joxer’s fear, which was resonating throughout him. Finding nothing he moved to take the man in his arms to comfort him. Joxer stiffened before relaxing seeing the god was only trying to soothe him.

Phobos questioned worriedly, "What’s wrong, Jox?"

Joxer laughed bitterly, "I…I’m pregnant with your child."

"B…but we’ve only slept together once."

"Once is all it takes." Joxer said ruefully.

Phobos nodded saying slowly, "I guess you’re right. Dad’s going to freak when he finds out you’re pregnant."

"I know. He’ll hate me."

Phobos protested, "No, he loves you. If anything he’ll hate me."

Destiny reassured them, "We’ve spoken to him. He understands the situation."

"Er…what is the situation?" Joxer said seriously, not wanting to be kept in the dark about something so important.

Destiny said calmly, "Your marriage and thus your daughter ensured that the gods will return."

Atropos announced, "Without your daughter it would not have happened."

"What’s so special about her?" Phobos said worried knowing the women were keeping something from them.

"She is the end," Clotho said emotionlessly.

Atropos continued, "And the beginning."

Lachesis explained reassuringly, "She is destruction and creation."

Destiny called out, "She is the last of the Olympians!"

"That’s a lot of pressure for a child!" Joxer said worried knowing how difficult it was to live up to the expectations of others.

Clotho smiled at them, "She will be ready. You will make sure she is ready."

 

"Herc! We’ve got to help him." Iolaus said urgently trying to make his lover act to no avail.

Auto said sighing, "He’s not going to listen. Joxer’s not going to be happy to see everyone if they just react like the Big Guy."

"What makes you say that? Just what do you know about the marriage Joxer’s agreed to?" Xena asked glaring at the thief.

"I’m a friend of his. When I was with him and Ares on Olympus I heard a few conversations. Joxer is the child of Cupid and Strife, he only found out recently."

"Whoa, how did he take it?" Iolaus said confused. He really hadn’t expected that.

Auto said thoughtfully, "He was shocked and scared. I think he was worried about whether it would affect the way people treated him."

The warrior princess asked annoyed, "And the marriage?"

"He was told that his marriage would determine the Fate of Olympus. He wasn’t happy about it. He left with Ares, saying he only wanted to be with the one he loved."

Gabrielle asked angrily, "Who was that?"

"He never said but I think it was Ares."

Hercules fumed, "ARES! What was he doing with that murder?"

Auto moved to stand right in front of the hero using his body to stop the man from moving. With a snarl the thief said, "Look he loves him and to be honest I think they’d be good together."

"They’re not together though from the sound of it."

The thief agreed explaining to the others, "Yeah. When he agreed to this marriage, Joxer was giving up any chance he had with Ares. He had no choice, if he didn’t agree to the marriage then Olympus would be destroyed. He wasn’t going to let the people he loves die, so he agreed."

"Poor Joxer." Gabrielle said sympathetically looking at Xena with a grin.

Xena nodded, "Yeah. I wonder who he married?"

"What’s so special about Joxer?" Hercules said wondering just what he had missed about the wannabe hero.

Auto shrugged, "No idea but he must be important if the Fates forced him into a marriage."

Looking at the others Iolaus clicked his neck as he shouted, "ARES! ARES!"

When the war god didn’t respond the hunter looked at his friends in a mix of fear and worry. What was so important it would make the god ignore this chance to disrupt their lives. He grinned when Xena shouted, "ARES! Get your ass down here, we’re worried about Joxer!"

He didn’t know who was more stunned when Ares appeared Xena or Hercules. He looked at the god suspiciously noting the red eyes, if he didn’t know better he would think that Ares had been crying.

"What do you want?" Ares asked with a resigned sigh.

Xena ignored the god’s annoyance as she said, "Where’s Joxer?"

Ignoring the flash of pain as he thought about his love Ares replied, "With his new husband I would imagine."

"What new husband?" Iolaus wondered aloud.

Ares said softly, "My son - Phobos."

"What was that Ares?" Auto asked as a look at the others informed him they didn’t hear the god’s words either.

In a mix of hurt and rage Ares answered, "My fucking son Phobos, okay! Don’t even think about bothering Jox with your insignificant questions. I’m so fucking angry I’ll make you all wish for Tartarus if you upset him!"

"Why are you so worried about Joxer?"

Ares snarled, "I just am! Can you please do Joxer a favour and keep quiet until he tells the Pantheon."

Looking at the others Xena assured him, "Of course. Some of the gods might not be very understanding unless everything is explained to them."

"Thank you. Now you’ve got your answers, leave." Ares said watching as the five left his temple in silence.

 

Ares disappeared back to his room so he could mope in peace. He wanted to be near Joxer…gods he would do anything just to see him. It was at this point he got a nervous summons from his love.

"A…Ar, c…can you come and see us. Please, I need to talk to you." Joxer’s voice floated into the room full of barely concealed grief and anger.

Ares quickly disappeared from his temple in a flash of sparks appearing almost instantly in Phobos’ private temple. He frowned when he spied Joxer sitting next to a large fire, tears flowing from his eyes.

Only the knowledge that touching Joxer would result in pain for his love kept Ares from taking the obviously distraught god in his arms. Gently the war god asked, "What’s wrong, love?"

"Phobos and I spoke to the Fates. They said that I’m pregnant with his baby and they told us why we had to get married."

"How do you feel about it?"

"Honestly, I wish it wasn’t so. If all that mattered was that I carry Phobos’ child there was no need to do this to us. I could have slept with him anyway."

"That’s not the only reason. Didn’t they tell you about the rest of the prophecy?"

"No, what does it say?"

"Two Undying Ones will return the gods to power with the help of your daughter. They said that your marriage to Phobos was also about making sure you survive. Our separation gave you the extra power needed."

"I can see why. I’m the god of Absent Lovers, fitting seeing how you can’t get any more absent than you. Sure you’re in the same time, place as me but you’re not with me. So we’re Absent Lovers."

"Yeah. I wish I could hold you." Ares said gently.

Joxer gave a watery smile, "And I you. Its not so bad, I guess. At least I’ll be able to see you. We should see Hades about getting Dad out of his domain. There’s no need for more of us to be unhappy than necessary."

"I’ll see him later. How is Phobos coping with everything?"

Joxer smiled, "He thinks you hate him. He’s taking care of me though. We’ve agreed to try and become friends."

Ares moved to place one hand just above Joxer’s saying, "I’m glad you’re at least married to someone who’s going to treat you right. I can’t believe he thinks that though, how could I hate my own son? This has nothing to do with him."

"I know but you should talk to him. He’s just as confused as I am but he’s too busy taking care of me to let it show."

At this point Phobos appeared in the room worry, regret and anxiety burning in his eyes for a second as he looked at his father. Then the fear god blinked and the look in his eyes disappeared, making the pair question what they had seen.

"Dad. I’m sorry about this," Phobos said trailing off when he didn’t know what to say.

Ares hugged his son determinedly not thinking about the fact that his child had taken the virginity of the man he loved. When they broke apart he could see the relief in Phobos’ face.

"Its okay, son. This isn’t your fault and to be honest, I’m happy that Jox is with someone who is going to take care of him. Someone who won’t use him and hurt him."

Phobos vowed, "I will take care of him, I swear it. He seems like a nice guy, I’m sure if it weren’t for our marriage we would have been good friends. Ours can be a marriage between friends, there aren’t many of them on Olympus and I like the idea of having a friend around."

"Thank you, son. Have you made plans for telling the rest of Olympus about your marriage?"

"Not yet, I guess I should call I meeting." Phobos blushed.

Ares smirked, "Just attend Zeus’ petitions tomorrow. You can petition to have your temple enlarged and break the news at the same time."

"That’s a wicked idea, Ar. I love it." Joxer said with a smile.

Ares said anxiously, "Jox, your little thief has already told everyone that you’re married. I told them who to. They’re going to keep quiet until you tell the Pantheon."

Joxer beamed at his love, "Thanks for taking care of it Ar."

"You know I’ll do anything for you." Ares said with a sad smile as he left the room.

Part 9

Phobos looked over at Joxer who was nervously pacing around the room. He couldn’t understand why the ex-mortal was so afraid. It wasn’t like anyone could do anything to hurt Joxer any more than he had already been hurt. In less than a month his husband had lost both his father and his love.

Phobos reassured him, "It’ll be okay. You know I’m going to take care of you."

"Thanks although I’m a little more worried about Zeus."

"Why?" Phobos asked shocked not expecting that reaction.

Joxer shrugged, "I was left in the mortal world because Zeus would kill me if I stayed on Olympus. I don’t know if he just doesn’t like idea of my dads having a child or its because of the danger of my making the wrong choice and dooming Olympus."

"Probably both. He was never happy about Cupid and Strife to begin with. It could be because they had the power to unite two powerful houses; love and war."

Joxer remained silent thinking it over, it was a good idea and he was mildly shocked that Phobos had made it. Like most of the mortal world he had always felt Phobos was a little less than sane. The thought of the fear god thinking calmly, rationally and logically had never occurred to him. If Phobos was as interesting as Joxer suspected he was sure they would become friends.

"You coming in?" Phobos asked with a laugh as he reached to lightly hold Joxer’s hand taking care not to make any move that could upset the anxious god.

Joxer said nervously, "I guess. At least the block Ar put on me will stop them messing with my head. You think I could see Cupid? He still won’t talk to me. You think he’s blaming me for him and dad breaking up?"

"I’m sure he’s not. He cares about you but he has weird ways of showing it."

"Could have fooled me." Joxer commented wryly seconds before they walked inside.

Zeus said arrogantly, "The next petition is by Phobos. What so important you are making a public petition?"

Keeping one arm around Joxer Phobos grinned, "I formally request an extension for my temple on Olympus."

"Just what reason do you have for this request?" Zeus said glaring at the dark god.

"My marriage to Joxer, the new god of Absent Lovers." Phobos said delighting in the shock, anger and fear his little announcement caused.

Zeus hissed, "I forbid your marriage to this child. It will be reversed."

"No can do, Sorry." Phobos commented with an unrepentant grin.

Hera asked majestically, "Why not, Child?"

Bowing his head slightly as a sign of respect Joxer answered the woman, "The Fates performed our marriage, Ma’am."

"Impossible! Phobos was supposed to marry Strife and Cupid’s daughter!" Zeus said in outrage if looks could kill the newlyweds would be dead.

Phobos shrugged, "They didn’t have a daughter. They had a son called Joxer."

Athena accused, "How was it no one detected your bloodline?"

"It was decreed that my true nature would only appear after I was married." Joxer said honestly doing his best to keep the replies short. He didn’t like most of the Olympians, he couldn’t help but want to avoid them.

"Just what does Ares have to say about this?" Eris asked worriedly knowing her brother was in love with the newly made god.

Ares appeared in a flash of sparks, "I support their marriage. What else did you expect me to do?"

Hades commented, "If you are so supportive then why are you avoiding looking at Joxer?"

Ares snarled, "I need some time to get used to it! Do you all think me so cold-hearted that I wouldn’t be bothered when the man I love is married to my son?"

A wave of shock went through the audience of shocked gods and goddesses, most of whom had never imagined they would hear Ares say he loved someone! Even more shocking was the fact that Ares was admitting a weakness. The war god had always hidden any sign of weakness from his family.

Ares said seriously, "I am making a petition for access to Strife, formerly the God of Mischief. I request to see him in the underworld. He has the right to know what is happening in his son’s life seeing how he gave his life for his son."

"So be it." Zeus said with a regal nod looking at Hades who shook his head.

Hades said arrogantly, "The request must be denied. Strife is not under my domain."

Grabbing the God of the Dead by the throat Eris snarled, "WHAT? How can that be?"

"He is under the control of the Egyptian Pantheon. I cannot help with this matter." Hades said with a nonchalant shrug.

There were shouts of outrage asking for an explanation as to why the Egyptian Pantheon had control over a former god. It made no sense, Strife was a true Greek god even if his father was unknown.

"SILENCE!" Zeus roared angrily glaring at everyone.

"Can you please explain what you meant by that, Hades?" Joxer asked politely.

"Just what I said. I do not have the ability to return Strife to you. My son is no longer under my control."

"Thank you for telling me, Grandfather." Joxer said respectfully, bowing ever so slightly to the pale god.

Hades smiled happy with the knowledge that he finally had the loving family he always wanted. With a grin he answered Joxer, "It is only what you deserve. How are you my child?"

"Fine. Can we go and talk now?"

"Sure, Joxer." Phobos said with a smirk as he and his husband vanished in a show of black and red sparks.

Zeus could only gape in shock as Hades, Eris, Ares and Cupid all left without acknowledging him. Just to himself the King of Gods admitted his power over his family was beginning to slip. Everything was ruined now, he had lost control over his family and the future. Now the rebirth prophecy had started, Zeus knew his position as King was doomed. To save himself he would have to kill Joxer’s child, therefore securing his position as ruler.

 

Ares, Eris, Hades and Cupid appeared in the underworld to find Joxer being sick into a bucket Phobos had created. Worried about the well being of his son Cupid ran over but was pushed back by Phobos who glared at him.

"What the fuck are you doing? My son is being sick for Gods sake!" Cupid shouted outraged.

Phobos said with a nod, "I know but you’re not going to help matters."

Eris said thinking aloud, "Normally when a god’s like this…they’re pregnant. Are you pregnant, Joxer?"

Simultaneously making the bucket disappear and taking a long drink of wine Joxer turned to look at her. Once he had regained control over his body Joxer answered with a groan, "Yeah by Phobos."

Glaring at Phobos Cupid said angrily, "Did he rape you, son? If he did just tell me and he’s cinders!"

Joxer said frantically, "NO! He didn’t rape me. The Fates said we had to consummate our relationship or it would be for nothing. I wasn’t going to let everyone I love be killed when I could avoid it. I got pregnant that night."

"Oh. Sorry bro." Cupid said blushing slightly as he turned to look at his half-brother.

Phobos shrugged, "Its okay, you were just looking out for Joxer."

Ares said gently, "Your friends are going to need dealing with, love. I’ve already told them that you got married."

"I guess I should see them and make sure they don’t cause any trouble." Joxer said with a nod.

"I’ll come with you." Ares, Phobos and Cupid said together before glaring at each other.

Joxer smiled gratefully, "Thanks, I might need your help if they get out of hand. Although, maybe you should stay behind, Ar? Its not that I don’t want you there but you know how Hercules gets when you’re around."

"If that’s what you want but one of the others should go with you."

"Maybe Pops and Hades? They aren’t really on the hit list of the others." Joxer said logically.

"Okay. We’ll stay here and wait for you then." Ares said for those excluded.

Then there were three flashes of light as the chosen gods disappeared in red and black sparks. In Phobos and Joxer’s temple Ares looked at his son and sister, seeing their worry for Joxer. He knew the other gods would seek to take advantage of the new god, but with the support of the houses of War and Love would go a long way to keeping Joxer safe until Ares could make the younger god his mate. He had to cling to the hope that one day Joxer would be his forever, mind, body and soul.

 

Seconds before the three gods appeared at the heroes’ campsite, Gabrielle sneaked away from the group intent on meeting her secret lover. She knew He would understand how she felt and would find a way to help her, he had always helped her when she asked him.

"Joxer, are you okay?" Auto asked immediately noticing the pain and sorrow coming from the man in front of him. As a man of godly blood, the thief could feel the emotions of the Olympians more than most mortals.

"Not really." Joxer admitted slowly.

Iolaus asked worried, "What’s wrong?"

Joxer said sarcastically, "Let’s see, so far my dad has been killed and I’ve had to marry a virtual stranger even after the one I loved wanted to marry me. Oh, did I forget to mention that I’m pregnant?"

"Who died?" Hercules asked not wanting to contemplate a world without love. How would the people survive without Cupid?

Hades said seriously, "Strife. Before you all start celebrating you should think about how it will affect the other gods. The gods depend on each other, when another dies the remaining are incomplete. Strife’s godhood was mischief, which is not only a source of fun but also a source of ideas. A large number of people including, politicians, inventors and philosophers get ideas through a little mischief."

"Oh. I don’t know what to say, sorry doesn’t seem enough." Xena said sadly knowing the pain of separation from his love would slowly consume her friend.

"Yeah. So how is everything down here?"

Hercules said gently, "Quiet I guess. How has Zeus taken the news of your marriage? He wanted to stop your parents daughter, son I guess from marrying. He said that your marriage would result in the destruction of Olympus."

"He’s not too happy, he feels angry."

Xena offered, "Do you need some help to keep you safe then, Joxer? You’ve only been a god for a short time so you probably couldn’t handle a fight with Zeus."

"He’s not alone." Phobos said with an angry snarl.

Hercules said sceptically, "Really (!)"

Anger burning through his veins Hades snarled, "I will protect my grandson, as will those of his immediate family, and the other godly members of our houses. Despite what you seem to think the Houses of Death, Love and War can work together, we will work together to protect Joxer. I protect my family no matter what the cost."

"What godhood do you have, Joxer?" Hercules asked noticing that there was a similar feeling from his friend as there was from Aphrodite.

"I’m assigned to the House of Love, my title is the God of Absent Lovers. Fitting, don’t you think?"

"I guess. So whenever someone is separated from their lover you get power from it?"

Joxer nodded, "I’m also responsible for making sure those separated remain in love with each other, if it is the one they are supposed to be with at that time."

"Sounds like a interesting godhood. Does it take a lot for people to remain in love with each other?"

Joxer shrugged, "Not if it is the right person they are supposed to be with at that time. If they are with the wrong person then I don't do anything to make the feelings for the people concerned stay. Pops and Dite then make sure the people heal and fall in love with who they are meant to be with."

"Look, we should go. Joxer still needs to talk with some other people on Olympus."

Xena nodded at Phobos’ statement saying, "Okay. Can we just call you if we need to talk with you, Joxer?"

"Yeah. I’ll answer you of I can." Joxer said as he flashed out with the other gods following just a second later.

As they arrived at Phobos’ Olympus temple Joxer fell to the floor, screaming out in a mixture of pain and shock.

Taking one look at the man Hades called for Apollo as Aphrodite called for Hera. The two summoned gods appeared shocked at the plea from those who had never summoned them before.

"What’s wrong with him?" Ares snarled as soon as Apollo appeared.

Shaking off Ares’ hand around his shoulder Apollo answered, "I don’t know. Let me check him out and I’ll let you know."

"Stop fighting you two, Joxer needs both of you calm and quiet!" Hera admonished as she placed one hand over Joxer’s body.

"Apollo, come and check something for me!" Hera said anxiously whispering at the god after he came to her side.

Apollo looked at Hera in shock before stopping to examine Joxer a little closer. Finally reassured that his findings were correct, he turned to look at the worried and expectant audience.

Apollo said seriously, "The baby is growing at an accelerated rate taking more power directly from Joxer, than he has causing pain for both him and the baby. As the baby grows, it will need more power than Joxer can give. For both him and the baby to survive without any damage, Joxer needs more power than he is currently receiving from his godhood. However for some reason we cannot feed him power, his power must come from a different source. Neither Hera nor I know how why his body will not accept power from other Olympians but it will not."

"So what can we do?" Ares asked wanting to do anything to help rather than sitting around watching the man he loved die.

Hera said anxiously, "We need to find a way of giving him more power that is not tainted by Olympians. Either that or we find a way of changing our power so Joxer might accept it."

"Well then, that’s what we will do." Eris said with a snarl.

Hera nodded, "Apollo and I will stay here and watch Joxer. Phobos and Cupid shall stay with me while the rest of you find some way to help."

 

"I’ve been waiting for you. I didn’t think you would come, my love." Gabrielle said with a smile as she turned to face her lover.

Zeus kissed the woman passionately before saying, "I’m sorry, my sweet but I was held up by one of my children. She wanted to speak to me about a rather worrying matter."

"Anything I can help with, love?" Gabrielle asked quickly knowing how little the other Olympians helped their King.

Zeus frowned, "I don’t know. You might not be strong enough to help."

"I will do anything you need me to, Zeus. Anything at all!"

Zeus said seriously, "I suppose you may be able to help. It turns out that a new god is trying to take my position and power, thereby stopping me from divorcing Hera and marrying you as we had planned."

"Who is it? I’m sure I can find a way to stop them!"

With an exaggerated frown Zeus said, "An ex-mortal. Joxer, The Mighty, or something like that. He has managed to convince the others that I was responsible for destroying his plans to marry the one he loved. The only way he will ever stop will be if he is dead."

Gabrielle smirked cruelly, "I can solve that little problem for you. Joxer has always been a annoyance who twisted everything to make people do what he wants. He managed to twist everything so that I appeared to be a cruel, heartless bitch just because I wasn’t in love with him. Seeing how stupid and clumsy he is, he can’t be much of a god. It would be doing everyone a favour if he was killed, he just causes trouble anyway."

"I will never forget this, my sweet. Once Joxer is out of the way I can divorce Hera and marry you as I have always wanted. All you have to do is stab him with this knife, the Hinds blood will kill him."

Taking the sheathed knife Gabrielle said reassuringly, "I will take care of him, my love. Then we can be together for all eternity."

Part 10

"Stay here Jox." Ares commended as he looked at his deathly pale love lying on the bed.

Phobos nodded saying, "Don’t even think about moving!"

"I won’t! I’m not going to hurt Aurora." Joxer said seriously before lying back down on the bed.

"They don’t mean to shout but we’re worried about you, Joxie." Aphrodite whispered not wanting her grandson to get upset over the way the others were treating him.

Joxer smiled softly, "I understand. Now go and do whatever it is you’re planning. I’ll shout if I need you. Please, I can’t stand having people crowding me."

There were flashes of light as Hades, Ares and Aphrodite left the temple in a panic desperate to find some way of saving Joxer. They were not going to let someone they loved die if they could prevent it. All they had to do was find a way of giving Joxer power that wasn’t tainted by Olympians, how hard could that be?

Phobos and Cupid disappeared into one of the many libraries intent on going over all the scrolls to find some way to save bother Joxer and the child who would save them all.

"I hope you don’t mind if I stay with you." Hecate said as she walked into the room having been instructed to keep an eye on Joxer by Hades. As she was a member of the House of Death she had no choice but to follow the requests made by the head of the House in this case Hades.

Joxer grinned at the dark haired goddess, "Its okay. So do you like your godhood?"

"I find it very satisfying, yes. I couldn’t imagine having another godhood after so long."

"I guess once you’ve fallen into a routine it’s difficult to break." Joxer said in understanding before falling into a sudden sleep. *******

"I’ll see if Gaia can think of anything." Hades voice echoed in their minds as he redirected his energy. He knew if anyone could help it would be Grandmother. He prayed she would help by telling them directly instead of using the riddles she was so fond of.

The god of the dead appeared in the Earth Mother’s garden, she looked up in greeting clearly having expected him to appear. Before he could speak she gestured for him to sit down and continued tending her garden.

"I know why you are here. I cannot help him but there is one who would be only too willing to help. You need to talk to one in your domain who is alive."

Hades said seriously, "There’s no one in my domain who is alive."

Rolling her eyes Gaia said quickly, "Yes there is Grandson. What about Rhea?"

"She wouldn’t help, she hates the Olympians."

Gaia gave a long suffering sigh saying, "You don’t know until you ask. Go and talk to her, Hades."

Hades simply nodded as he flashed out wondering just why the Titan would help him, the Olympians and Titans had never liked each other and it wasn’t like Joxer had any links with the Titans. *******

Ares had decided there was only one course of action, he had to see if his annoying daughter would help. Maybe she would have some ideas, as much as he hated admitting it Xena had a knack for solving apparently impossible problems.

Appearing in front of his daughter Ares said seriously, "Xena, I need your help. Can you come up ask around for any power sources used by Titians? We need to find a power source untainted by Olympians or Joxer will die."

"Of course I’ll help him." Xena said shocked at the very thought that she would refuse.

"Thank you. I’ll be with him, just call if you make any progress. Don’t tell *anyone* about this not even Gabrielle."

"Okay." Xena agreed seeing if she refused it would just make the war god angry. She smiled as her father disappeared with a confused look on his face.

Xena continued her task of sharpening her sword looking up quickly on hearing her lover approaching. Gabrielle had been distant lately but the warrior princess assumed it was because of Joxer’s problems. Maybe the bard was too worried about Joxer to see the wall between them.

"You think Joxer’s okay up there?" Gabrielle asked out of curosity.

"Yes. He’s got a whole family of people who like him and look after him. He’ll be fine."

Gabrielle grinned eagerly, "Do you think I could go and see him? I need to let him know that I didn’t mean any of the nasty things I’ve ever said about him. I was just worried that he was going to get himself killed."

The warrior princess stopped to think how to tactfully word her response before saying, "We’ll have to ask one of the gods, Joxer’s probably still trying to come to terms with his new life."

The Amazon carefully schooled her expression into one of tearful resignation and simply looked at Xena. The warrior princess knew there was no way she could say no now, she could never refuse Gabrielle when the bard gave her that look. She mused silently that perhaps it would be good for Joxer to have one of his old friends up there with him and it would keep Gabrielle safe while she was busy trying to save their friend.

"I’ll ask Cupid later, he’s more likely to answer than any of the others."

The bard simply nodded mentally going over her plans. Once she was in Olympus it would be easy to kill Joxer and blame it on someone else…maybe Athena. She had never liked Ares or Phobos so it would be a prefect motive plus Athena had been unpleasant to her daring to say the bard had no skill in writing and the intelligence of a bug.

Meanwhile Hades was walking determinedly through his domain intent on seeing perhaps the one person that could help his grandson, Rhea. The Titian was still alive, she had in fact gone into voluntary exile with her husband rather than stay on Olympus. If the woman would transfer her power and life-force to Joxer then there was a good chance the new god would survive.

Walking outside her home just as Hades was approaching Rhea gave an impatient smile, "Hades, I have been expecting you for quite some time. Now which one do I have to save?"

"My grandson Joxer, God of Absent Lovers. His parents are Strife and Cupid. Joxer’s pregnant but he does not have the power he needs meaning both he and his child will die. Gaia suggested that you might be willing to help."

"Indeed I might. What sort of god is he?" The Titan

Hades said honestly, "Compassionate, caring. He sacrificed the only chance he had to be with his true love for the good of us gods. He gave up his chance of happiness when he agreed to marry someone the Fates had chosen for him."

"He sounds like a good man. Well then, I will help this young man. I’m happy here in the underworld."

"Thank you, Mother." Hades said respectfully, bowing slightly.

Rhea smirked, "There is no need to thank me. If this grandson of yours is the man you believe then that is good enough for me. Now go and get your Grandson, once he is here I will allow you to transfer my power and life to him."

Hades nodded and left in a flash of showy black sparks. He didn’t bother to talk to anyone, he simply carefully lifted Joxer from the bed before transporting them to his domain. He couldn’t give Rhea time to change her mind.

The titian smiled at the young ex-mortal her son had brought to her, moving carefully she allowed her powers to seek out the mind of young Joxer. Once she was satisfied her gift would be used wisely she nodded, placing a hand on the unconscious god’s head the titan let go of all her power and energy. Only with her complete and utter surrender to death could Joxer receive what he so desperately needed to live. "Again, thank you Mother." Hades said solemnly as he helped the woman up from the floor.

"It was my pleasure, I guess I now fit in your domain now. You take him back to rest, he needs to get used to this."

Hades nodded and carried his grandson back to Olympus, placing the god on the bed the God of the Dead smiled at the way Joxer snuggled into the covers. With a murmured reassurance Hades disappeared from the room knowing he had to return to his job. Luckily no one had realised he was missing, Hecate had cast an illusion of Joxer sleeping in the room so that his grandson’s protectors wouldn’t panic. *******

Hours later Gabrielle and Xena were transported to Olympus by Cupid who realised his son needed his friends around to help him get accustomed to everything. He grinned when Gabrielle immediately started telling Joxer just what had happened in their travels since they had last seen the former mortal. It seemed that the bard truly cared for his son despite all the appearances to the contrary.

"Sis, dad wants to talk to you. Can you come with me?" Cupid said seriously just loud enough for the demi-god to hear him.

Xena nodded before bending down to whisper into her friend’s ear, "I’ll see you later Joxer."

Cupid placed one hand on his sister’s arm before transporting them out of the room hoping whatever his father wanted wouldn’t cause any more problems for Joxer, he didn’t think his son could handle any more upheaval.

Gabrielle grinned to herself as she took a dagger from her boots, picking up a nearby pillow she placed it over the sleeping god’s mouth to stop Joxer from alerting anyone to what she was doing. When he started to struggle Gabrielle lifted the knife and in one smooth move thrust it into Joxer’s heart. Using all her strength the Amazon twisted the knife, which made a sickening sucking sound.

With a satisfied smile Gabrielle left the room, heading to the other side of the god’s home. No one would suspect her if she had been busy in the other side of the temple. As she walked the bard sent a quick message to Zeus, telling her lover she had completed her task.

Zeus stopped in the middle of his latest seduction to allow a satisfied smirk to come to his face. Now his reign was secured, no one was allowed to steal his position. He was ruler of Olympus and would be until the end of time.

Part 11

Ares appeared in Phobos’ temple knowing something was wrong with Joxer. Seeing Joxer lying in the bed with a dagger sticking out of him the War God called out to Hades, Cupid and Phobos for help.

"Not him! Please wake up! Please come back to me, baby!" Ares screamed out in a mixture of anger and denial even as he removed the dagger with a loud sucking sound.

Having received both his Father’s fear and call for help Phobos appeared panicking, "Dad? What’s happened?"

Spying Joxer Phobos started crying as he cradled Joxer’s prone body knowing he was doing so for himself and for his father. Who would have done this to Joxer? Joxer had never hurt anyone. Phobos couldn’t help but feel it was all his fault. He should have made sure there enough Gods protecting his husband but naively assumed Olympus was safe. He didn’t react when Cupid appeared with anger, rage and grief radiating from him.

Wrapping his arms around Phobos and Cupid snarled, "Who dared to attack my son? I’m going to kill them, they will pay from taking him from me."

Hades appeared into the room freezing at the sight of Joxer’s lifeless body, it didn’t make sense. Joxer wasn’t with him and that worried him. Gently he approached the grieving Phobos and Cupid who were cradling Joxer’s body.

"Joxer’s soul isn’t with me. Are you sure he’s dead?" Hades said as soothingly as possible.

Ares snarled, "He stopped fucking breathing a couple of seconds after I got here Hades! Now that means someone’s dead right?"

"I know but please Ares, call Apollo." Hades said gently seeing how heartbroken the War God was.

Ares nodded as he called out, "Apollo, can you please help me? Jox…Jox is seriously injured."

Apollo appeared in the room knowing it had to be something fatally serious for Ares to call on him, he could count the number of times Ares had requested his help on one hand. Spying Joxer he got to work carefully trying to remove the Hinds Blood poison on the knife from Joxer’s body.

"Joxer’s not alive, he hasn’t been dead long only about fifteen seconds. The child has to be born now or she will die." Apollo said apologetically as he cut into Joxer carefully removing the baby.

Seeing the baby was silent Apollo bit his lip nervously as he couldn’t detect any signs of life. Suddenly there was a brief spark of light and then there was the unmistakable sound of crying. Everyone let out a sigh of relief knowing a part of Joxer would survive. Ares knew Joxer would have wanted his child to survive even if he had to die.

"Phobos, here is your daughter. What is her name?" Apollo said as he handed the baby to the shocked, grieving God.

Phobos smiled through his tears, "Her name is Aurora. She’s wonderful."

Aurora had blue-black wings as was normal for those of the Houses of War and Death. She had a small amount of black hair. Aurora’s eyes were a beautiful and bewitching gold, as they watched the colour changed to a flashing red.

Gently Phobos kissed the top of her head saying, "I’m your father Phobos. Welcome to our world Aurora. We all love you, Sweetheart."

The room’s attention was drawn to the bed where Joxer was lying when the dead God started to shake, his body arching from the bed seconds before he disappeared. Frantically all of the Gods searched with their powers for any trace of the man but he had simply vanished.

Ares said brokenly, "The Fates said we would be together again! I want Jox back. I can’t live without him. Can I go and see him, Hades?"

Hades said quickly, "Ares…Ares! Joxer’s not in my realm. I don’t know where he is. I’m sorry. He’s dead but I can’t feel him anywhere."

"Who did this to him? I’m going to burn them to cinders." Ares said his body surrounded by a red glow of anger, hate and sadness.

Phobos reassured him, "We will have our revenge. We need to get Aurora settled first. Dad, can we stay in your temple for a while?"

"Of course. I swear that I will do anything for her just as I will do anything for Joxer."

Phobos just smiled sadly as they walked into one of the other rooms the baby giggling softly. Joxer had been ripped from their lives, changing everything not just on Olympus but in the mortal world. All of Joxer’s family would be affected by the tragedy meaning the Houses of Love, War and Death. There would be no peace for the mortal world until their loved one was avenged. *******

Hera was startled when her eldest son asked for her presence in Phobos’ temple, her relationship with those of the House of War had always been strained to say the least but she had a feeling something was terribly wrong. Fearing something had happened to the baby Hera disappeared from her Garden praying to Gaia that everything would be okay.

"What’s happened, Ares?"

Ares gasped out. "J…Jox was attacked. Someone stuck a dagger coated in Hind’s Blood into his heart. He’s never hurt anyone…why would they do that to him? Is it because I love him?"

Cradling her son Hera said soothingly, "Hush, we will find out who hurt him and see they get Olympian Justice. Did the baby die?"

"No, she’s okay. Her name is Aurora, she is beautiful. Are you coming to see her?"

Nodding in response to her son’s question Hera said, "Of course, Son. It’s a beautiful name and fitting since she heralds the dawn of a new age."

"Her name was chosen by The Fates." Phobos said as the pair walked into the room where Cupid was gently cradling the now sleeping baby.

"It is a fitting name nonetheless. She is beautiful, how are you feeling?"

Amazed at her for even asking Phobos glared at her, "I am full of anger, pain and grief. I want someone to investigate the attack on Joxer otherwise we will deal with this ourselves."

Knowing her dark family would leave the mortal world in ruins Hera nodded in agreement, it was the only way to save the mortals from being completely destroyed. She cooed at her great granddaughter for a few seconds delighting in the baby giggles and laughs. The Queen of the Gods froze in shock when Aurora started shaking before being covered in a purple glow. All the Gods had to turn away as the light burned their eyes.

When everyone turned back to look at the baby they were shocked to find Aurora had aged. Aurora was standing before them now a beautiful teenager. The girl had a slim build; as tall as Xena with a mischievous smirk on her face eerily similar to Strife’s.

Standing Aurora smiled at them saying, "Its nice to finally be able to talk to you. Don’t worry about Papa. He will be back, I can feel it."

"We love you so much, Aurora. My name is Phobos and I’m your other Daddy." Phobos said with a nervous smile, laughing when his daughter hugged him tightly.

The girl smiled, "I know, Dad. Ares, the holder of my Papa’s heart. I love you Grandpa. I want that slut who killed my Papa to pay."

"You know who killed my Jox? How?" Ares asked confused by the turn of events.

Aurora nodded sadly, "I’m an empath. I felt Papa’s shock, confusion and fear. Accompanying these feelings was a strong image of his murderer. It was his former friend, the Amazon Bard. I think her name is Gabrielle."

Ares snarled, "That brain-dead, bitter, bitch! I wish I had killed her when I had the chance!"

Phobos said sadly, "Jox thought she was his friend. He would have been in a mood for years if you had hurt her. I can’t believe she would do that to her friend."

Cupid explained, "He was only her friend when she could use him to make herself look and feel better. It gave her a sense of importance to have Joxer following her around."

Aurora ignored them all as she called out, "I Aurora, Goddess of Destruction call forth The Furies to punish my father’s killer."

There was a flash of light seconds before three women appeared dressed in red dresses which left a large amount of their bodies on display. Although they didn’t appear threatening, these three were feared throughout Greece.

"You called us forth, Aurora. Why do you seek our help?"

Aurora took a deep breath as she explained, "My father was attacked and killed while in his temple on Olympus. His name was Joxer, God of Absent Lovers. I was inside him when he was killed and have seen the identity of his killer. It was a former friend of his, Gabrielle an Amazon Bard favoured by Apollo. I ask for the Furies to punish his murderer."

The avenger of murder Tisiphone smiled cruelly, "She will be punished, Aurora. I vow we will not allow his murderer to go free. We know Gabrielle, the daughter of Deimos many people have spoken about her crimes. She will be punished with insanity, it will only pass when she freely admits and repents her crime."

"Thank you." Ares said shocking the others in the room as the war god hardly ever apologised least of all to the Fates.

"It is fitting in these circumstances. Now we must go and deliver her punishment." The three furies said together as they disappeared in a flash of red.

"I need to go and see Gaia, she’s calling to me." Aurora said with a small grin.

Ares looked at his family before saying, "We’ll come with you."

"I need to do this alone but you should get ready. This meeting I fear will be the beginning of the end," Aurora said with a small smile as she disappeared.

 

Tisiphone smirked at her sisters as they appeared in Phobos’ gardens where the Amazon and Warrior Princess were sitting talking. They were going to give the bard a long over due punishment and no one could stop them.

Tisiphone smiled cruelly as she said, "Gabrielle, Queen of the Grecian Amazons we have found you guilty of one of the most heinous of crimes – the murder of a family member. Judgement has been sought and will be delivered."

Xena snarled, "What in Hades are you talking about? Gabrielle would never kill anyone least of all a family member."

The Furies all laughed coldly saying together, "Gabrielle killed her cousin by marriage. Joxer, God of Absent Lovers. We have a witness to the crime. Before you think of accusing our witness of lying, we can assure you that she told the truth. Now your punishment is insanity. You will only be relieved of your punishment when you confess and truly repent for your crimes."

There was a flash of light as The Furies inflicted their punishment before removing the pair from Olympus, keeping them around would just cause problems. They wanted the bard to suffer not be killed as the majority of the Olympians would seek to do.

Zeus watched the scene from his temple. He would have to work quickly to ensure no one suspected him, his inferior son would kill him if for killing the man Ares foolishly believed himself to love. At least his plan had worked partly, the annoying Joxer was dead but the usurper was still alive. Zeus knew he couldn’t act against Aurora now with the Houses of Death, Love and War protecting her.

Part 12

Aurora grinned as she appeared in the garden that was Gaia’s home. The Earth Goddess just looked up at her and gestured for the new God to take a seat. Carrying over a jug of water she poured a glass for each of them.

"How are you feeling Aurora?" Gaia asked softly wanting to know if the young one would be strong enough.

Aurora snarled, "Angry and anguished. My Papa is gone and I need him. I love him and I never even got to meet him. Why did that slut do that to him?"

"She was angry, jealous and obsessed with her search for power. Now are you ready for what you must do?"

"Of course, it is what I was born for." Aurora answered coolly the suggestion that she was incapable stung a little but she ignored the pain knowing she needed to focus on her task.

Aurora turned into her primal form of pure energy, working carefully she sent out her awareness to the mortal world. Carefully she planted the seeds of destruction making the mortals believe the Greek Gods were weak Gods unable to help them. She manipulated them into believing the only Gods with the true answers and powers where the Roman Gods. The seeds of destruction worked quickly as thousands of mortals fervently called out to the Roman Gods pledging their lives and spirits.

Gaia smiled sadly, "Return to your home child. We will all be gone from this world in a matter of hours."

"Goodbye Grandmother," Aurora said formally seconds before she disappeared from the Earth Mother’s home.

On Olympus the majority of the gods were asleep not having the power to maintain anything but their most basic function. Aurora gave a sad smile, she had known what would happen but she also knew it was the only chance for survival. They would live again if Strife and Methos were strong enough to survive, without them there was no chance for rebirth. She returned to the House of War where her family was already lying asleep in a massive bed with cream covers. Moving quickly she got into the bed, closing her eyes as the energy followed from her, giving a select few mortals the words needed to summon her and the knowledge of the Rebirth Prophecy.

 

Seacover Present Time

Joe Dawson watched the scene in front of him with the fascination of someone watching a train crash; he couldn’t look away despite the fact that he knew the outcome. He had seen Duncan Macleod do a lot of brave things in the past but this one was truly amazing. Duncan was actually volunteering for the bachelor auction, Immortal or not the man was toast.

Methos said seriously, "I see Amanda managed to corner Duncan again, what does she want this time?"

Taking the beer Methos held out for him Joe shrugged, "She’s asked him to in the bachelor auction."

"The one at the museum? I wonder what she’s planning to liberate from its owners this time." Methos said with an innocent grin.

"That life is behind me now, I’m just helping out a friend." Amanda said with a glare at the two men wearing watching smirks.

"Of course you are." Methos answered amused at her rapid response.

Duncan was about to defend her when all three immortals felt the unmistakeable humming in their bodies and the headache that indicated another of their kind was near. Duncan looked at Amanda with a small sigh, the bar was their Sanctuary and this strange immortal had violated their sacred place. Looking at Methos he was shocked to see a wide smile on the man’s face.

Duncan asked his friend, "Methos, I take it that you know recognise the presence?"

As he entered the bar Nikias formerly Strife God of Mischief smirked, "If he doesn’t recognise me then something is seriously wrong. It has been too long, Meth."

"You always say that, love. How long has it been this time?" Methos said tenderly as his eyes raked over the pale from.

Nikias said quickly, "Three hundred years, five months, ten days and seventeen minutes."

"It felt like longer. Gods it is great to see you beloved." Methos said smiling as he opened his arms.

Nikias grinned widely literally running into Methos’ arms, running his hands over every part of his lover that he could reach. He hated it when they had to part, he always felt lost without Methos beside him. even knowing the separation was the only way to keep both of them safe from the hundreds of enemies they had Nikias always wished they didn’t have to part. When Methos placed his hand on Nikias’ chest the younger Immortal coped the gesture before the pair passionately kissed.

"Now enough of that, love. I have a few more important issues to discuss with you." Nikias said seriously before his eyes hardened, stepping back from his lover.

Methos groaned recognising the look on Nikias’ face, he was angry. At what Methos had no idea but he knew there was no way of escaping the public showdown, his lover would have his say and nothing would stop him.

Nikias scowled, "I’m in a fucking mood with you, Meth."

Methos questioned, "What did I do this time, Nikias?"

"You did not tell me that bitch Cassandra was after you again!" Nikias said ignoring the others watching the argument. "I was worried she would use you to get even with me." Methos said honestly even as he reached out for his lover.

Amanda stood her hands on her hips as she said coolly, "Excuse me for interrupting this little lovers spat but my name is Amanda, this is Duncan and the man taking notes over there is Joe. Its nice to meet you, Mr…?"

"It is nice to meet you, Amanda and Joe. I’ve heard a lot about you Duncan. I’ve got to say, you are even more uptight than I had imagined."

Only just hiding her smile at Nikias’ words Amanda said, "I believe you haven’t told us your name."

"My name is Nikias but you can call me Nik." Nikias said with a smile no one but Methos called him by his full name.

As everyone sat down Duncan asked, "When exactly did you die, Nik?"

"A couple of years after The Trojan War." Nikias said carefully.

"You were Death then, Methos?" Duncan questioned not understanding why the horsemen would accept an outsider.

Nikias smiled, "He was but my father trained Methos to become Death. Father left me where Meth would find me, giving me a necklace so Methos would know he sent me. I was given to Meth as his sex slave."

"Your father gave you away to Death to be used as a sex slave!?" Amanda exclaimed in shock, how could someone do that to their child?

Not seeing any problems with what had been a common occurrence Nikias nodded, "Yeah. We spent centuries with the Horsemen, travelling and raiding. Caspian only tried to kill me twice but Meth stopped him. The rest were afraid of what Meth would do if he lost his favourite slave. Over time we fell in love with each other and decided to leave The Horsemen. We settled down to enjoy our lives. Hell we even had children!"

"So how did you end up having children? Methos doesn’t strike me as a family man."

Methos smiled, "We were happy together and gradually decided that we wanted to expand our family. Mira was our first child, our little star. She died when she was four after being bitten by an insect. We mourned her but knew that we still wanted children. We decided to take in children who truly needed a home those who were unwanted or abandoned. Most of them are immortals."

Joe asked amazed, "How many children do you have?"

"Twenty five little monsters." Nikias said with a fond smile knowing his husband wouldn’t take offence to his words.

Joe ventured, "I’ve never heard Methos speak of you, Nik."

Nikias shook his head, "It is generally safer for everyone if no one knows about me. Cassandra has sworn blood vengeance because I refused to let her have Methos. She tried to kill me once to get him but I let her go free. I was too soft, I should have killed her."

"That wouldn’t be right, killing her just because she was infatuated with your lover."

"Duncan, I didn’t come here for a lecture. Methos, do you want to meet our new students?"

"What are their names and how did they die?"

Nikias grinned at his lover’s bored tone, "Justin Pendleton and Richard Haywood. Richard died first, he fell from a cliff and a couple of hours later Justin committed suicide. I stole Richard’s body from the morgue and managed to get a razor into Justin’s cell. I knew what he would do, when he had killed himself I took his body from the prison morgue. I put them in the car and decided to come straight to you, love. Now can we bring them in here then?"

"They’ve been out in the car waiting?" Amanda said in disbelief.

"Its not like they will notice. They haven’t revived from their First Death yet."

"When did they die?" Duncan asked quickly wondering if they had a pair of soon to wake Immortals on their hands.

Nikias shrugged, "About 15 hours ago but I stabbed them both in the chest with a dagger to make sure they didn’t wake."

 

Methos didn’t day anything as he picked up the first teenager who had blonde hair and open blue eyes. From looking at him it was obvious the boy had died in a traumatic manner Methos’ trained eye could see the man had broken his spine and his neck. It was a quick way to die though it did take a little longer to heal than other methods.

Nikias picked up Justin, gently carrying the man into the back room, thankful that the bar was empty apart from the immortals and watcher. He always hated explaining the facts of life to the newbies, mainly because of all the ridiculous questions they asked.

Settling the pair on the sofa the lovers smiled at each other, removing the daggers at the same time. They watched with satisfaction as the blue spark healed the pair. Methos sat down on a nearby chair, pulling Nikias into his arms while they waited. He grinned when Duncan and Amanda also sat down while Joe covertly got out his tape recorder, switching it on as quietly as possible.

Justin gasped loudly his eyes opening as he shouted, "Rich!"

Justin frantically looked around trying to find Richard, hoping it was all a dream and Richard was alive and well. He couldn’t cope if he had truly lost Richard, his soulmate. He couldn’t believe how much he had hurt the blonde man, how cruel he had been. It was perfect timing, as when he looked over Richard gasped loudly as his eyes opened.

Looking straight at Justin he said, "Justin, don’t cry. I’m okay!"

Justin just nodded at his words, even as he moved closer to Richard who looked at the hand approaching him.

Seeing the blood covering the younger man’s arm Richard gasped in shock, "It’s a lot lower and messier than normal, Jus. What happened?"

"I cut my wrists open, I was upset. Y…You left me, Rich. You died. I…I killed you."

"You didn’t! I remember going to the bluff. The guns felt cold and reassuring in my hands. I gave one to you and then you accused me of wanting to watch you kill yourself. I could never do that you!"

Justin looked into the blonde's eyes, "I know. I hurt you though, just like I always do. You died Rich, I watched as they took your body away!"

Richard said passionately, "You only hurt me because I pushed you too far. I’m glad that you hurt me back, you’re becoming more confident. Erm…Justin, if I died and you killed yourself how the fuck are we sitting here alive?"

"Maybe this is Hell, our punishment for killing Olivia."

Methos said calmly, "My name is Methos and I need to talk to you about something very important. Justin and Richard you are both Immortal. That doesn’t mean that you can’t die permanently because you can by beheading. You will heal from all the other wounds but there is a downside. The majority of Immortals plays the Game; it is a fight to the death. There is only one way to avoid a challenge and that is holy ground. Immortals can never fight on Holy Ground, it doesn’t matter what religion. Now a fight is always one on one, no one can interfere."

"What’s your verdict on this Justin? Drugs or alcohol?" Richard asked his partner with a small smile.

Justin said confidently, "Neither. It is an hallucination due to severe emotional stress. It’s a standard response when you can’t handle something, you either have a psychotic break, hallucinate or repress."

"Well to most we’re already psychotic, not that I care." Richard said with a laugh.

Duncan frowned on hearing the pair talk, the two boys had killed someone and had openly admitted to being insane. Surely it would be safer for everyone if the pair were killed before they could cause any damage. Looking sideways at Methos caused him to reassess that thought, it Methos could change perhaps this pair could as well.

"What would make you believe?"

Justin said thoughtfully, "One of us dies with the other here to verify it. It wouldn’t work if one of you died and came back to life as you are simply hallucinations."

"So be it." Nikias said with a shrug, throwing a dagger so that it landed dead centre in Justin’s heart.

Cradling Justin’s form Richard shouted, "You bastard! Justin, please don’t leave me. I need you, don’t die."

There was no response as blood stained Justin’s shirt, Richard worked quickly ripping open the top, ignoring the familiar scars as he tried to stop the bleeding becoming horrified when he realised it wasn’t working. Richard watched as the man his arms got pale. Feeling for a pulse Richard froze as he realised there wasn’t one. Justin was dead and that pale bastard had killed him.

Richard gently placed Justin’s form on the chair whispering, "I’ll be there with you soon. I’ll just take care of that bastard first."

As the blonde moved toward Nikias Amanda said, "Richard, wait. Look at Justin."

Richard looked at her in confusion, why would she ask him to look upon his dead lover again. Why was she so determined to hurt him? A breathless gasp caused him to turn around to find Justin looking at him in a mix of confusion, amazement and fear. Richard didn’t think about it as he pulled the brunette into a crushing hug, reassuring himself that his lover was still alive.

"Its okay. I’m not going to leave you again by choice, I promise." Justin whispered while running his hands through the older man’s hair feeling the shakes wracking the man’s body.

"I swear that if you die, I’ll follow."

"Together in this life and the next." Justin said seriously seeing the small nod in the other man’s eyes. He shifted so that he was inside Richard’s arms but could look at all the strangers at the same time.

Methos coughed loudly to get the pair’s attention, "Now you know we are telling the truth there is something important you must know, to the world Richard Haywood and Justin Pendleton are dead. You will have to take on new identities."

"Okay, can we keep our first names?"

Amanda interrupted, "Only as a middle name, which can only be used when you are alone. It’s too dangerous otherwise. Are thoughts on what your new names will be?"

"Alex Richard Nichols and Daniel Justin Harris." Richard said speaking for the both of them. Six months ago they had toyed with the idea of getting new identities in case they needed to run and those were the names they had agreed on. Nikias said soothingly, "We will set everything up for you. Methos and I will teach you how to fight along with a few other skills you will need to survive." "Thanks." Richard said carefully seeing no other option but to trust the strangers. "It is our pleasure. Now how about a drink while we get to know each other? Would you like a beer or tequila?" "We’ll both have a beer." Justin said softly. Joe asked politely, "What would you like Nik?"

"I’ve got something in my bag." Nikias said with a smirk, lifting out a bottle of whiskey allowing the others to see the name Bowmore and the date 1957.

"What the hell are you doing with a bottle of 38 years old whiskey in your bag?" Duncan exclaimed in shock unable to believe the stranger was so unconcerned about the cost and importance of the bottle.

"It’s a celebration for my reunion with Meth. Don’t you want a drink, Highlander?"

"Of course I want a drink. How much did this little bottle cost you?" Duncan asked staring at the bottle in fascination.

Nikias shrugged, "£1726.25 online at Eton Viners."

"Is that all?" Amanda said with a small laugh, she approved of someone who enjoyed the finer things in life.

"How about just grabbing seven glasses and we will share the bottle." Nikias said to Joe as the bartender walked towards the bar.

Joe did as asked placing the glasses on the table in front of Nikias, watching as the pale man filled each glass. Holding his glass up Joe nodded at Methos to perform the toast.

"To love, life and friendship." Methos said finally slipping one arm around Nikias’ waist. Everyone took a small sip feeling the drink should be savoured. Nikias looked around the bar and wondered if he should reveal the truth to this mismatched group of allies.

 

Part 13

"What’s wrong love?" Methos asked seriously as the pair walked back to his apartment ignoring the looks Justin and Richard were giving each other. He was used to the sappy lovesick behaviour of teenagers by now.

Nikias admitted, "Iolaus bumped into me on the way here, in a gas station. He gave me a scroll given to him by The Fates."

Knowing how much trouble The Fates caused Methos asked somewhat afraid, "What did it say?"

"Two undying ones will work with Jox’s daughter, Aurora to bring back the Olympians. We have to take three couples to the place where I first died." Nikias answered wondering what his granddaughter looked like. Did she have Joxer’s eyes and pale skin?

"How do you feel about that?"

Nikias admitted, "Confused. I want my family back but I don’t know how they will treat me. I’m not the same person I was millennia ago and I don’t want to go back to how I was then. I like the man I’ve become and Jox probably hates me anyway."

"I love you and that’s not going to change. Joxer won’t hate you, I’m sure once you tell him everything he will understand why you reacted the way you did."

"I hope so. Our students are one of our couples." Nikias answered changing the subject pointedly.

"I guess that makes it somewhat easier. How did you manage to pick them up?" Methos said grinning at how Richard was gently kissing Justin’s neck as they walked, hands around each other’s waists as if they were trying to make the most of it before someone caught them together but given their ages Methos guessed it was normal. There were few high school students who were openly gay in their hometown.

Nikias shrugged, "It was easy."

Flashback

Nikias worked quickly through his suitcase, picking out his favourite throwing knives and the standard thieves pack. Taking a deep breath he worked through the exact details of the plan. He couldn’t afford to mess it up, not know when so much depended on getting it right.

He was in the boring town of Wilmont to pick up a couple of new Immortals. Richard Haywood and Justin Pendleton, two teenagers who had plotted and performed a murder to free themselves from the confines of society. It had been a rather interesting murder as the boys were unmistakably gifted when it came to planning.

Nikias knew they would have escaped punishment if Justin had not been overcome by nausea at what he had done and vomited next to the victim. That combined with their relationship had given the pair away, leading to Justin’s arrest and Richard’s murder. Well that and that fact that Cassie was annoyingly stubborn. Richard had fallen to his death during the attempt to capture the pair while Justin was arrested and charged with the murder of Olivia Lake.

Since he liked the pair and they posed a serious threat to the secret nature of Immortals Nikias had no choice but to breaking into the Wilmont morgue and pick up Richard Haywood’s body. Nikias expertly picked the locks gaining access to the room holding his new student. Luckily, he had timed it so that he could retrieve Richard’s body before the Immortal revived.

Walking in confidently Nikias opened walked over to the clipboard sitting on the desk. Finding the correct draw Nikias opened it, surveying the body of Richard Haywood. From his appearance it was obvious that Richard’s death had been quick and painless as the boy’s neck and broken, probably on impact with the rocks.

Picking up the body in a fireman’s hold, Nikias closed the draw with his foot. Adjusting his night vision goggles the Immortal walked out as silently as he arrived. Once they got to the car, Nikias placed Richard’s body in the backseat covering it with a blanket while taking care to place a dagger in Richard’s heart, not wanting Richard to revive too early.

An hour later Nikias was ready for duty at the prison Justin Pendleton was being held until the trial. Anticipating their capture Nikias had arranged the necessary documents and clothes so he could pass for a prison guard covering for Mike Seaman who had phoned in sick thanks to a little drug a lady friend of his had placed in Seaman’s beer. It had been fortunate that no one bothered to check on how Mike was doing, Nikias mused as he concealed the razor in food he was delivering to Justin.

Justin was on suicide watch as the authorities were concerned that he would kill himself out of guilt over Richard’s death. According to the officers in charge of the investigation and the other guards Justin had been alternately hysterically crying or loudly chanting Richard for hours.

"Eat your sandwich Justin. Pendleton, man cannot live freely without embracing suicide and crime." Nikias said seriously as he placed the tray through the small slot in the door. He noticed the way Justin stiffened at his words.

"I know." Justin said as he took the plate his face devoid of emotion.

Justin returned to his curled up ball on the bed, taking the plate with him. Hidden from the camera Justin quickly uncovered the small blade. He smiled in satisfaction. Justin didn’t know the identity of the guard or why the man had given him the blade but he would use it. He was going to be free with Richard, Justin thought to himself as he carefully handled the blade cutting diagonally across his wrists feeling the blood spill from his body.

One hour later Justin Pendleton was found dead in his cell, the victim of suicide. His body was carried down to the prison morgue where the death certificate was signed. Hours later Nikias coolly retrieved the body, placing it in his car next to Richard.

He drove calmly through the night knowing they had to be out of town before anyone discovered the bodies of his new students were missing. Thankfully, he had plenty of experience with getting in and out of places without being detected.

End Flashback.

"Not another die hard romantic!" Methos drawled in a mixture of disgust and amusement after listening to his lover’s description. He could feel Nikias fond exasperated look.

It wasn’t that Methos didn’t have a sense of romance, he did but he had never seen the point of killing yourself just because someone you loved had died. He had always considered that the easy way out and held firm to his view that if you loved someone died then you should live for them so that a part of them would live on.

"So why are you being nice to us?" Richard drawled as he walked inside the apartment noticing the number of foreign books adorning the bookshelves.

Sounds like this one has got some sense at least Methos thought answering, "We are being nice to you because we have a thing for looking after lost immortals the do-gooders wouldn’t look after. We don’t care about your past, what you have done before does not matter to us. You will stay with us while we teach you. If you agree we would like to take you in as one of our family. We have 25 other Immortal children some of whom are assassins and some of whom have adopted a quieter life. So we are not trying to control you or turn you into the model citizen."

"What do you mean adopt us?" Justin asked suspiciously how did they know the pair weren’t going to abuse them?

Nikias said calmly, "We would accept you as family, that means we will always be there for you. No matter what happens you can depend on us, and the family. You remind us a lot of two of our other children, Alex and Wesley. Alex is a very successful mercenary. He’s one of the best assassins we’ve seen for the last fifty years or so. Wesley is a watcher who currently keeps tabs on a vampire called Angel."

"Vampires don’t exist!" Justin said quickly.

Having expected the response Methos patiently explained, "You know it has always amazed me how stubborn Immortals are when it comes to believing in other supernatural beings. I’m over 5000 years old and I know more about the world than you can image so, believe me when I say demons and vampires are very real. The Watchers fall into four branches, which don’t really have a lot of contact with each other. The first branch watch over Immortals, keeping track of their history and lives. The second specialise in vampire slayers and the supernatural. The third branch is focused on the wizarding world and the last branch focuses on mutants."

"We’ll think about it and get back to you. Where is our room?" Justin said while giving his lover a small smile.

Methos said quickly, "Take the bedroom down the corridor on the left, the bedclothes are in the bottom draw. Leave your clothes in the hall and we’ll wash them for you. There are some black jeans and T-shirts hanging up that should fit you until we can go shopping."

Watching as the pair left the room Methos turned back to his lover drinking in the sight of him. Even after being together for millennia he was amazed at the beauty of his mate, there was a light to him that shined from within. He had always considered it to be the goodness in Nikias’ soul.

*******

Richard placed their clothes in the hallway before walking back into the bedroom. Making sure to lock the door he smiled widely at the sight of Justin lying on the bed naked waiting for him. He couldn’t believe only days ago he had thought Justin was lost to him forever. He had Justin that disc of him and Lisa having sex but it was the only way to make Justin see that he was the only one who could truly love Justin the way the boy deserved. Richard loved Justin more than he had ever thought possible and when faced with the prospect of losing Justin he had gotten desperate.

"What are you thinking about?" Justin asked seriously taking in the mix of anger, fear and anxiety on his lover’s face.

Richard shrugged, "How I almost lost you to that bitch Lisa."

Justin figured this was the time to tell the truth about Lisa. He had never loved the girl or even liked her all that much, she was a tool for him, a way to make Richard realise that he was in love with him. Justin had always known Richard was in love with him but the blonde had refused to say the words out loud but Justin knew that if he made the man jealous Richard would realise that it was lust that existed between them but love.

"You never would have lost me, Rich. I wasn’t in love with her, I don’t even like her that much but I knew pretending to be interested in her would make you see how much you cared about me. I used her to make you realise that you are in love with me."

"It worked. I do love you, Justin I was just afraid you couldn’t feel the same about me." Richard said pulling the other boy down on top of them.

"I’ll always love you, Richard and now we’ve got eternity together as long as someone doesn’t lop our heads off. What do you think of Methos and Nikias?"

Richard said thoughtfully, "They are interesting and they really love each other. I can see it in how they look at each other. Do you think we should accept their offer?"

Justin anxiously bit his lip, "I don’t know, from a purely logical point of view we should. They would give us an increased protection in the immortal world and provide us with support if we need it. However, I don’t know if they want something from us also it would mean that we have to help them if they ask us."

Richard finished the thought, "So we should wait a couple of days before we give them our decision." He laughed wryly continuing, "You know, Nikias and Methos didn’t seem at all disgusted when we mentioned killing Olivia but that Duncan guy got a weird look on his face as if he wants to kill us. I know this is a horrible thing to say but in some ways I’m not sorry that we killed her. If we hadn’t killed her then we wouldn’t have spent so much time together and fallen in love with each other."

"I know what you mean. I’m sorry that we got caught and yeah I think it was wrong to basically kill a woman for no reason other than we wanted to but I’m also happy because I’ve got you. Do you think they all realised how we felt about each other back in Wilmont?"

"I don’t know but it doesn’t matter, we’re free and together." Richard declared his tone making it clear that the discussion was finished.

"Yeah, I never imagined we would ever be together again." Justin said softly before pulling Richard down to him doing his best to devour the boy that mere hours ago he had thought was lost to him forever.


Part 14

Justin grinned as he watched his love fight Methos. The lessons were interesting even though they normally ended with one of them being run through with a sword. He didn’t know why but he couldn’t seem to actually go far enough to kill his teachers if only temporarily.

"I’ve had enough of this, Justin! You have got to take this seriously, if you’re not willing to listen then you are going to get Richard killed." Nikias snarled as he parried with Justin easily avoiding the sword. Justin couldn’t seem to kill, he didn’t know if it was because of Olivia Lake’s murder or some twisted morality but it didn’t matter. Justin would have to accept that his new life involved killing other people to survive or he would be dead in a matter of months.

Taking a deep breath Nikias said menacingly, "Justin, if you can’t fight me then I’ll take Richard on instead. At least killing him will be some fun unlike you, I don’t know how I’m supposed to teach an idiot to fight."

Justin growled at the threat to Richard and the insult to him. He started moving quickly using the methods Nikias had taught him. While Nikias was on the defensive Justin took the chance to get the dagger from his boots. Throwing it expertly so it landed in his teacher’s throat, making the man gasp loudly as he fought to take in the oxygen he needed. Justin watched the man die with a calm detached expression, he didn’t want to kill anyone, but Nikias had pushed just the right buttons to make him lose it.

Walking over to his lover Methos pulled the dagger out and passed it back to Justin with a grin. It looked like the pair still had a few secrets. As the blue sparks arched in Nikias’ throat Methos mentally reorganised their training lessons. If Justin was that good with throwing knives then they would help the boy to perfect the skill, you never knew when it could save your life.

Methos was confident of the pair would get far in the game since they had a reason to fight beyond survival, they fought for each other. What had most surprised him was the knowledge the pair had of swordplay. Justin had explained that for the last year or so the pair had been taking lessons in secret as it provided them with the opportunity to spend more time together and made them feel safer.

Nikias stood once he was healed, happy that he had found the perfect way to motivate Justin into seeing that if he didn’t act, didn’t kill then whoever was after him the person would just go after Richard. He was a little shocked at Justin’s throwing abilities, as the boy had never hinted of having any skills in that area.

Methos said, "There are a few things we need to talk about with the both of you at dinner."

Now was the difficult part, explaining that they hadn’t offered to take the pair into their family with an ulterior motive despite the fact that Justin and Richard were two people who could help bring Nikias’ family back. He didn’t know if they would believe him, Methos knew in their situation he would be inclined to assume he was being used.

"That sounds ominous, are you kicking us out or something?" Richard asked with a wide smile, which made him look like a homicidal maniac since his top and sword was covered in fresh blood.

"It’s nothing like that. Its good stuff really. Why don’t you go and get ready?" Nikias said cheerfully he didn’t want to upset his two new children.

"I hope it really is good news." Justin said softly to his lover as they headed for the shower. He was still a little sceptical of Nikias and Methos’ motives. He couldn’t believe the pair would willingly take in a couple of teenagers who had spent their spare time arranging a murder without having an ulterior motive.

"Just how are we going to tell them everything?" Nikias said seriously as he passed his husband a beer.

Methos took a long drink before answering, "We’ll wait until they’re relaxed and then tell them. How do you think they will react?"

"They are going to be very angry and I don’t know if they will trust us again but we owe it to them to be honest. They’ve been honest with us about everything even about how they felt killing that woman."

Methos nodded seriously knowing just how much the younglings had put on the line by being honest with them. A quick glance at his watch informed him that they only had an hour until they had to be at the restaurant. Sliding his hand into Nikias’ the man led the way to the shower. Everything would go a lot smoother if they were all relaxed and nothing relaxed Nikias and him like a leisurely bout of lovemaking.

 

"So what do you want to talk to us about?" Justin asked seriously as he looked at his teachers unconsciously grabbing his boyfriend’s hand.

Nikias said honestly, "To understand everything you need to know about my life before I became an Immortal. I know this sounds surreal but I swear it’s the truth. I was one of the Greek Gods, my name was Strife God of Mischief. My mother is Eris, Goddess of Discord and my father is Hades, God of the Underworld."

"I thought all Immortals were foundlings." Justin asked confused at the conflicting information.

Shaking his head Nikias continued, "That’s not strictly true. The immortals are descended from the Titans and are the result of sex between two people who have a certain amount of titan blood. I don’t know why but mortals who have Immortal children forget them when they are born. Anyway, I was made Immortal after I was killed for telling my son who his parents are. I left Greece with Meth after my father sent me to him and we went to join The Horsemen. I later found out from an old friend that my family the Greek Gods had fallen into a sleep and would not wake until a prophecy was completed."

"What does this have to do with us?" Justin asked ignoring the voice in his head screaming for him to get Richard and leave.

Nikias rolled his eyes at the interruption saying, "After I has picked you up and was on the way here I stopped at a gas station where a man called Iolaus was waiting for me. He told me that you are two of the six people we have to take with us to Greece so that my family can be return."

Richard snarled, "You fucking lied to us! The only reason you asked to take us in as part of your family was because of this prophecy!"

Careful to avoid anyone overhearing the argument Methos said, "That is not true! We didn’t need you to become family to get you there. If we wanted to all we had to do was teach you. We asked you to become family because we like you and we feel a connection with you."

"Suppose we believe you, how do you know we are the ones you need?" Richard said having deciding it was true since the pair were too calm for it to be a lie.

"I know Iolaus would not lie to me about it. We are going to a place called Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Magic to pick up another two people we need for the prophecy and then we are going to America to get another two."

"How do you know which ones are right?" Richard questioned in disbelief, he couldn’t believe how cavalier the pair were acting, as if it was an everyday occurrence.

Nikias imparted, "Iolaus said we will know them when we see them. We’ll have to take his word on it but he did say they are all of impure blood."

"What does that mean are they demons?"

"Not really, Richard. All it means is that they are not normal humans. People with impure blood could either be magical, demonic or immortal." Methos explained in full teacher mode he missed the small grins the three shared at his tone.

Justin nodding having assimilated the information he asked expectantly, "Are these four already couples?"

Taking a drink of wine Methos shook his head, "No, we are supposed to make sure they hook up correctly. I think they’ll probably know themselves who they are meant to be with. So that’ll make our job a lot easier."

"When are we setting off to Hogwarts? Are either of you wizards?" Rich asked excited at the thought of going into magic world. He had always been fascinated with magic and the occult, having dreamed of being a wizard himself as a child.

‘I love the way these kids get straight to the point,’ Methos thought as he said, "Tomorrow. I’ve got all your papers at the apartment. I’ve arranged for us to take our swords with us. I’ve contacted a friend of mine at school so they know to expect us."

Nikias smoothly answered the second question, "We have a certain amount of knowledge and power that is mainly due to the our long lives. Since I’m a direct descent of Hades, a Titan I have a fair amount of power and skill but we both keep out of the wizarding world because it’s a very dangerous place."

"The plan for tonight is to rest up until we have to leave. Our flight leaves at 0300 so we best go back and pack." Methos said as before standing.

Justin nodded seeing it made sense a part of him couldn’t believe his mentors were talking about something so sensitive in the middle of a restaurant but perhaps it was to make sure no one caused any embarrassing scenes. Grabbing his boyfriend’s hand the brunette led the way out suddenly feeling suffocated, it was all beginning to hit him. He couldn’t believe how much life had changed in the space of a mere three days. At least there was one good point in his new life and that was Richard. He didn’t care what he had to do as long as Richard was with him, whole and happy.

"What’s wrong, Jus?" Richard asked seriously as he grabbed his love in a tight hug. He didn’t like the expression on Justin’s face. He wanted Justin happy again like he was before they had left the apartment.

Justin smiled, "Nothing, babe. I was just thinking about how much everything has changed and how much I love you. I don’t care what life throws at me because I have you with me."

"I know how you feel." Richard said honestly before pulling the man into a kiss.

Richard couldn’t believe how Justin could taste better every time they kissed. Every time their mouths met it, felt like the first time, comforting, amazing, scary, and passionate all at once. He could happily spend hours just kissing Justin and had done so on more than one occasion. He knew it was ridiculously sappy but he couldn’t help but marvel at Justin’s power to make him feel alive and free. When they kissed Richard felt like he was floating in a sea of pleasure when all that existed was the two of them and the feelings they created in each other. Justin and Richard walked back to the apartment in a happy daze trusting their friends to keep them safe.

 

 

Part 15

Justin smiled widely at his lover as the plane glided through the sky. He couldn’t believe everything was really happening, he had Richard at his side and the chance of forever. He wasn’t sure exactly how he felt about Methos and Nikias, they had lied, but it had been for a good reason. He and Richard had spent the night talking about exactly what they should expect and how they felt about their siblings in light of the new information, for that’s what they both considered Methos and Nikias to be. Neither him nor Richard wanted another father figure in their lives when their own had caused so much pain.

"What are you thinking about?" Richard drawled amused as he took in the soft pensive smile on his love’s face.

Justin blushed, "I was thinking about you and I being together forever. It is everything I ever wanted I just can’t believe this is all really happening."

"Its real, love. We are going to be together until the end of time. I can’t imagine being without you, I need, love and want you too much to survive without you."

Justin felt his heart soar as his partner reaffirmed their connection, he couldn’t help feeling insecure sometimes, but Richard was making him believe in happily ever afters. Justin had never believed that people could live together in harmony, his family life had been awful for as long as he could remember. His parents had never wanted children and had told him since the day he could talk that he was a mistake and the only reason his mother hadn’t had an abortion was because it had been against her beliefs. His life was full of pain and disenchantment until the day he had met Richard. He had known right away that he and Richard were important to each other but he hadn’t realised just how important.

Less than two hours later Justin gritted his teeth as he felt the plane descend to land. He hated flying and always had. Normally he spent most of the flight in a wonderful drugged bliss but not this time as he had been warned by Nikias that drugs would not work on them anymore, Immortality meant that the drug was removed from the bloodstream almost immediately, which was a problem

Turning to look at Richard’s head lying on his shoulder, the brunette was once again hit by the sheer beauty and innocence on his love’s face when the man was sleeping. Gently shaking his lover, Justin looked over at his brothers seeing they were amused at his problem since they never had any problems waking. He supposed it was normal for creatures that were thousands of years old and used to fighting for their lives; they had to remain constantly alert for enemies.

"Love, come on wake up. We’re landing now, Rich." Justin said repeatedly gently running a hand through the blonde locks.

Yawning loudly Richard said, "I’m awake. Quit nagging me, I fucking hate our brothers for arranging a flight at such a stupid time!"

Justin decided to ignore the familiar grouchiness knowing Richard was never in a good mood until he had a large amount of caffeine in his body. Truthfully Richard hated getting up in the morning, he was more of a night owl and often went out for a walk around midnight.

 

"Just who are we meeting here, Adam?" Justin asked quickly as he looked around at the mass of people. He hated being stuck in a crowd of people who were all watching and judging him.

Three years ago, a psychiatrist friend of his parents had diagnosed Justin as having social anxiety disorder. He never felt comfortable unless he was Richard and that had only happened after he had known the man for six months. Justin had been shocked and awed by Richard’s determination to help him cope with his disorder until he was able to speak in front of people by focussing on the blonde. He had even read out his work in class because he knew he could concentrate on Richard. The blonde made him feel safe and comfortable in a way he had never known, his parents made him feel awkward, embarrassed and edgy. Justin knew he would have to tell Nikias and Methos about his disorder because he didn’t want them to worry about him if he acted strangely in front of people.

As the foursome made their way out of the airport Methos answered, "A friend called Severus who is teaching at the school. He will take us there because some people have problems getting there. He’s a little aloof and arrogant but don’t let that stop you from getting to know him."

"Okay." Richard said for the two of them, keeping one hand around his younger lover’s waist.

Richard just knew Justin was feeling anxious about the mass of people and he couldn’t let his love suffer. Justin was better at dealing with crowds of people but Richard knew the man hadn’t completely recovered and now that the drugs the brunette had been taking to help wouldn’t work, which made it even more important for him to support Justin not that he would ever leave the brunette to face his troubles alone. He could never leave Justin even if he wanted to; Justin was too much of a part of him.

"Sev, you’re early!" Nikias and Methos said together with a small laugh causing Richard and Justin to look up.

Richard coolly appraised the man in front of him thinking their brother’s description was accurate. He could practically feel the coldness and suppressed violence contained in the pale, thin, black clothed man with slightly greasy hair. Severus Snape was wearing a rather expensive Armani suit tailored to fit him perfectly, showing that the man had a hard, athletic body to match his cold, hard eyes.

"He is cold and dangerous." Justin commented lowly to his lover while smiling at the happy scene in front of them.

Smiling widely Justin realised he hadn’t ever seen the older Immortals act so carefree, they certainly hadn’t acted so impulsively in Seacover but then Duncan McLeod had been an uptight idiot who had lectured all of them on the importance of fighting fair. Of course they had totally ignored the man, all that mattered was that they survived no matter if they had to use some slightly dubious methods to kill the Immortal. As a present, Justin and Richard had been gifted two exquisite long daggers each, which were placed in their boots so they could be reached quickly.

"Hello Nik, Adam. Are these your new students?" Snape said noting the nervous look in Justin’s eyes.

Nikias nodded, "They are, they joined us two weeks ago. Professor Severus *Snape*, this Alex *Richard* Nichols and Daniel *Justin* Harris." Nikias said introducing the trio, stressing the names the trio preferred.

Richard regally inclined his head towards the dark haired man, grinning when Justin did the same. His grin widened when Snape just raised his eyebrow at the introduction before apparently dismissing them as unimportant.

"The car is outside. I take it you have all your bags." Snape said taking the lead as he walked towards the car leaving them no choice but to follow.

As the car glided through the streets Justin took the chance to talk with his boyfriend. He wasn’t sure what to expect and that worried him. He hated going into a situation where he didn’t have all the facts, it inevitably led to pain.

Justin pondered, "Do you think we’ll met the pair right away?"

Shrugging Richard answered confused, "I don’t know. Nik and Methos said they have a some clues as to the identity of them so we shouldn’t be here too long."

"Good. I wish we had stayed home."

Tightening his grip of the younger man’s hand Richard let his other hand caress the beautiful locks answering, "Everything is going to be okay, I’ll be with you."

"I know, Rich. Do you think there’s a drugstore nearby?" Justin said biting his lip nervously.

Eyes trained on his lover’s mouth Richard nodded, "Probably but Methos might know of something else you can use instead. Do you want to ask him later?"

Justin nodded his assent hoping it was due, he didn’t know how he was going to cope without his medication. He had thought his Social Anxiety had been cured by his immortality but had quickly discovered it hadn’t when he felt the familiar feelings overcoming him on a quick shopping trip.

The young lovers gave a shout of confusion as the car suddenly started flying, gracefully making its way towards an old, beautiful castle. Richard smiled fondly as he noticed his boyfriend was enthralled with the building, not that he was surprised. Justin had a great interest in architecture, which he had planned to continue in college once they had escaped from Wilmont. Richard contented himself with making the most of a new experience, watching the ground come much closer as they stopped outside the majestic building. He noticed there was a grey haired old man waiting that looked just like every wizard he had ever imagined. At the man’s side, there was a green robed, spectacled woman, whose black hair was tied into a bun, giving her a stern appearance. There was also a tired, weary looking man with greying black hair who was dressed in a shabby robe. The man looked as if a strong wind would blow him away.

Richard waited until everyone had gotten out of the car to open the door giving the teachers a friendly smile as greeting. He looked over at Justin worried about how the man was doing; he was pleased to see a guarded smile on Justin’s face.

"Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am Albus Dumbledore the Headmaster. This is Minerva McGonagall the Deputy Headmistress and Head of Gryffindor. The man at my left is Remus Lupin one of the many highly skilled teachers at this school. I understand you are friends of Severus?"

"That is correct. I am Nikias and this is my husband Methos but please refer to him as Adam." Nikias said politely with a quick smile at the headmaster.

Methos finished smoothly, "These are our brothers Justin and Richard."

"Welcome again, boys. I imagine this is a rather shocking time for you, I understand this is your first time in a school of magic?"

"That’s right, Sir. This is a beautiful building," Justin said quickly as the group headed inside the school. As he walked inside the man closed his eyes quickly gasping as images assaulted his mind.

"What can you see, Jus?" Richard said worriedly, what was happening to his love? Methos had warned the pair that there would be many unusual things happening once they were in the wizarding world.

Justin smiled saying softly, "I see Salazar laughing with Godric as they read together. They are in a bedroom decorated in green and red. Godric is laughing as they are in bed promising to tell everyone they are together. Now Salazar is angry with Godric so he’s going to make a part of the school that’s just his away from Godric who has betrayed him. So he builds the Chamber of Secrets, what’s that?"

"It’s a special part of the school but you don’t have to worry about it." McGonagall said seriously after looking at the headmaster.

"If you say so." Justin said with a shrug, grabbing hold of Richard’s hand as they headed further into the bowels of the building.

 

"Sherbet Lemons." Dumbledore said to his statue, waiting patiently for the door to open before showing the group inside.

Dumbledore commanded, "Please sit down and then you can tell us why you are here."

Once everyone was comfortable Nikias said, "My name is Nikias and I’m Immortal, as is my husband. We are here because of a prophecy saying that two people in this academy are needed to help bring back my family the Olympian Gods."

"Why would we want the Gods back?" Lupin said eyeing them suspiciously, why would they help people they didn’t even know let alone trust?

Nikias said passionately, "They will help and this Voldemort is nothing compared to some of the problems we dealt with back in the old days."

"Enough about this what is happening to Justin!" Richard shouted unable to cope with the worry eating at him.

Dumbledore said calmly, "Your friend is a Seer, what he is talking about actually happened. He is picking up the visions from the building itself. You, Richard have very powerful blood in your veins, I believe you are half-elf. It is rare to find an Immortal half-elf but then elves are descended from the ancient Gods."

"Rich, calm down. Its okay, love." Justin said seriously as he turned the man’s face towards him.

Seeing the confusion on the face of the one he loved, Richard explained quickly, "I just don’t want you fucking lose you again and I could. What if you See something about me that you don’t like?"

"That’s not going to happen. I know everything about you. I love you, Rich. Together in this life and the next, remember."

"I remember." Richard said smiling widely as he hugged his lover hating that he was so insecure but he couldn’t believe Justin was all his.

Eyes twinkling Dumbledore said, "I have assigned rooms in Gryffindor and Slytherin. Nikias and Adam are going to be in Gryffindor. Justin and Richard will be in Slytherin. I am sure you will find the pupils in both houses helpful and friendly. Since you may have to be here for a while to determine the two needed for the prophecy, the four of you can help in the teaching of defence classes. Do any of you have skills you could teach the students?"

Methos decided to answer the question for the four of them since he and Nikias knew where the younger couple’s strengths lay. Smiling politely he said, "Nikias and I are skilled in various forms of magic and have encountered a number of supernatural beings you may be unfamiliar with. We will teach the students how to fight against different types of opponents, we both know hundreds fighting techniques. Justin and Richard are both experts at Karate, Judo, and Kickboxing. Justin is skilled in long range knife throwing and archery. They can help teach the Muggle defence class, I imagine most of the students wouldn’t be able to hold their own in a fight without using their wands."

Dumbledore nodded saying thoughtfully, "The classes are going to be just for the sixth years since they ill have to face the dark forces soon. Nikias and Adam can teach an extra Defence Against Dark Arts class on Tuesday afternoons while the Muggle fighting methods class shall be held every Wednesday afternoon until you leave. Now it is time for dinner, please follow me."

Dumbledore stood up and quickly looked over the four new guests before leading the way to the dining hall. The large room was enchanted so that images of the sky filled the ceiling as the students ate and talked. Justin smiled widely as visions filled his mind causing him to gasp at the sheer joy and happiness in the room. He started in alarm when Dumbledore waved his hand causing four chairs to appear and gestured for the Immortals to sit down.

Dumbledore said "Students, I’m sure you have all noticed four new faces here at the Teachers table. These four are here to aid in the battle with the dark forces. They will be teaching two new classes during their stay here. Nikias and his husband Adam will be joining Gryffindor during their time here. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermonie Granger will take them to the Gryffindor rooms." He paused and waited for the pair to stand noticing they endured the questioning looks with an air of indifference.

Smiling reassuringly to the other apparently shy couple the wizard continued, "This is Justin and Richard, who will be joining Slytherin."

Once the headmaster had finished Snape stood saying coolly, "Draco Malfoy, escort our guests to our common room. These are good friends of mine who I’m sure you will all get on with."

 

Draco Malfoy nodded his assent already knowing his Professor’s words were an order not a suggestion. He took the chance to study the new housemates, he could sense a lot of magic energy in them, but they appeared to be rather new to the world of magic. However his own feelings did not matter, they were friends of Snape so he was going to make sure to stay on their good side. Perhaps once they were in the common room he could find out about the pair.

"What do you make of them, Draco?" Pansy Parkinson asked calmly noticing the pair were ignoring everyone. She was confused at their silence but she could feel the power inside them and knew better than to anger someone with so much power. "

They must be our sort to be friends with Snape." Draco answered distractedly as he watched the Gryffindor table where a similar conversation was taking place.

 

*

"Look, they are friends with Snape!" Ron hissed as he watched Nikias and Adam laugh at something their potions professor had said. He couldn’t imagine anyone in their right mind laughing with Snape! Obviously, they were being saddled with some insane weird couple.

Hermonie said quickly, "Dumbledore wouldn’t allow them to stay with us if they’re dangerous, don’t you think Harry?"

Harry nodded saying thoughtfully, "Of course. I recognise the one called Nikias. I don’t know where from though."

"See they work for You-Know-Who!" Ron said eagerly just as the pair in question smirked at him causing the redhead to freeze in a panic.

"Of course they don’t. I’m sure they are nice. Now be quiet before they hear you." Hermonie said taking another look at Methos and sighing happily.

 

Richard glared at the blonde approaching him, he didn’t know why but he felt an instant dislike for the teen. His dislike only increased when the boy thoughtfully looked at his lover. How dare this weird kid come out of nowhere and make goo-goo eyes at Justin!

"My name is Draco Malfoy, I’m the leader of Slytherin. What are your names?" Draco said as politely as possible while noting how attractive the brunette was, perhaps this one might be worth knowing.

Hoping to defuse the sudden tension Justin said quickly, "My name is Daniel Justin Harris and this is my boyfriend Alex Richard Nichols. You can call us Justin and Richard since we have both prefer our middle names. How long have you been here at Hogwarts?"

"I’ve been here since I was ten, like most of the others. How old are you guys?" Draco said amazed at how beautiful Justin’s voice was but then he was always attracted to foreign accents.

"We’re both eighteen. What do you do for fun here?" Richard said with a quick look at his brunette lover, not liking that Justin was wearing his expressionless mask again because of Malfoy.

Leading the way to the dungeons Draco replied, "Quiddich is the main sport but most houses have their own pastimes. Slytherin prefers to party and play cards Gryffindor loves to play chess and pull pranks. Hufflepuff tends to prefer artistic pursuits like acting and Ravenclaw tends to love intellectual pursuits. They never rest."

The dungeons was every bit as depressing as the couple had imagined it but strangely there was an air of expectation, as if something important was about to happen. They listened calmly to the password, which was rather boringly Purebloods. It appeared the Slytherins hadn’t put a lot of imagination into creating the password.

The common room was of course decorated in the Slytherin house colours of green and silver. Strewn around the room in no obvious pattern were emerald green chairs the room was dominated by the glass and silver table, which was covered in books.

"How long have you known Professor Snape?" Draco asked seriously as he sat down, gesturing for the pair to copy him. He was going to find out exactly how dangerous the pair were before he tried to get Justin. He knew the brunette wanted him, everyone did.

"We met him today. He is a good friend of our brothers who have known him for decades."

"He’s a great teacher, the best Potions Master in the country. I take it your brothers are Adam and Nikias? So what are your abilities?"

"Yeah. Just why do you want to know?" Richard asked narrowing his eyes at the boy.

"I was just trying to make conversation. If you are friends with Snape then you must be very special."

"I am a Seer and my love is a half-elf." Justin answered seeing it wasn’t going to cause any problems but just in case he decided to keep their Immortality a secret.

"A Seer? Just what do you see, the past or future?" Draco answered seriously not letting his panic show on his face. Just what had Justin picked up from him and how much would it cost for the man to remain silent.

Justin said in a bored tone, "I have seen a lot about the students of Hogwarts from all times but I don’t tell anyone about students of the past unless it will affect the present or future. Now onto the present, I was wondering what you thought of Harry Potter? I believe he’s quite the celebrity here but I know Snape doesn’t like him."

Pacing around the room Malfoy said angrily, "Talk about the understatement of the century. Potter always breaks rules but he’s treated as if he can walk on water just because his mother saved him from dying. Potter breaks even more rules than I do but no one cares and only Snape ever punishes him for it. Dumbledore acts as if the sun shines out of Potter’s ass. So what are you really here for?"

Richard sneered, "You’ll find out if we decide you need to know. Justin and I will be teaching a class on Muggle fighting methods, which will help improve your stamina, dexterity, and agility for your spell casting. It was felt that some of the students might need help so fight without using magic and since we are experts in that area it was decided we would take the class."

"How can you help anyway? There are certain rules to follow in a wizards duel." Draco asked hoping that he could get Snape to let him out of the class.

Richard said unconcerned, "We don’t care about breaking a few ridiculous rules, all that matters is that the enemy is either killed or incapacitated so you can get away. One of the most important things for you to learn is that in a fight and in life all that matters is survival. Snape and Lupin were talking about who would get the best marks, and Lupin insisted it would be Potter because he has been in more duels and fights than you. He said that Potter’s far better than you when it comes to fighting since you have been spoiled all your life." "Potter’s been treated like a china doll all his life! There is no way he is better than I am! I have been training since I was four years old to become a wizard. I could take Potter in a fight in no time." Draco ranted angrily, although there was a small part of him that admired the raven-haired boy for being so determined all the time. Just to himself the blonde admitted Potter had an amazing ability to get out of seemingly impossible situations.

"Well most of the faculty don’t agree with you I guess we’ll see tomorrow." Justin said with a smirk, the blonde was so *easy* to manipulate.

Meanwhile in the Gryffindor common room, Methos and Nikias were being interrogated as to their intentions and alliances. It was amusing to see three infants trying to out do them and make them slip up, as if it was that easy. Both had them had been questioned by far more skilled people for years without saying something anything they didn’t want to admit.

"So how do you Professor Snape?" Hermonie asked seriously as the five sat around the fireplace.

Nikias shrugged, "I saved his life once and we got to know each other that way. He was attacked by a Beholder luckily I have a lot of experience with killing them. He met Adam later on when my love was working over here while I was in the US. He’s a good friend."

"I’ll take your word for it. So what classes are you going to teach?"

Nikias said breezily, "We are teaching an extra DADA class on with an emphasis on the abilities of different supernatural beings we have encountered. Richard and Justin are going to teach a class on Muggle fighting methods as most wizards can’t handle themselves in a physical fight. We expect Draco Malfoy will be the best in the class as Snape said he’s a very good student and fighter."

"Harry is a great fighter and can beat Malfoy with one hand tied behind his back!" Ron Weasley said with an outraged snarl. As if that spoilt, self-centred ferret could ever be good enough to beat Harry Potter!

Methos shrugged, "We’ll see in class. I’m sure the class is going to be far more exciting than anything you have ever done before. Justin and Richard are very skilled when it comes to fighting, they have spent years perfecting their techniques."

"How can they be that good when they’re still teenagers? It’s not like they have spent decades learning how to fight." Hermonie wondered aloud while knowing Dumbledore employed only the best teachers.

"They could afford the best teachers. They are very determined to be the best at what they do. Their hard work paid off big time." Nikias said with an unconcerned shrug, it was the truth and he couldn’t see telling the trio would cause any problems.

 

The following day found Justin terrified at the prospect of having to stand up in front of a class of twenty six students and actually teach. At least he wouldn’t be doing it alone, his love was going to be with him all the time and that was the only reason the brunette hadn’t suffered any panic attacks. Richard had insisted Justin was ready for it, since he had spoken to the classes back home and had even coped with a police interview without panicking.

The couple felt it was important thing to capture the attention of students right away. Thus, it was agreed that a demonstration was to take place within minutes of the class starting. Justin had decided to use his favourite set of throwing knives for the demonstration while Richard was going to be unarmed

As the students lined up waiting for the door to open each one could hear the sound of yelling going on inside the room. Finally, Harry could take the anger no longer, and fearing the shouting could erupt into violence he opened the door and gasped.

Looking at the students briefly Justin ordered, "All of you come in and go stand at the back of the room. No matter what happens you are not to interfere and there is an anti-magic field in here so your wands won’t work."

As everyone moved to comply Harry said, "Is anyone else worried about how that sounded?"

"Dumbledore wouldn’t let them hurt us." Hermonie said reassuringly.

Harry explained in an whisper, "Its not us I’m worried about from the look of it they are going to fight each other."

At this point Justin smirked and aimed a savage kick at Richard’s torso, not reacting when the man was hurled backwards. Not bothering to look up Justin flicked his wrist causing a deadly gleaming knife to hit Richard squarely in the shoulder.

The room was filled with horrified screams as blood became visible on the man’s shirt. Pulling out the knife, Richard nodded in appreciation as he reached down and unfastened the metal chain around his jeans. Lashing out quickly with his hand, Richard grinned wolfishly as the chain coiled around his brunette lover’s arm, reducing the blood flow.

Justin grabbed hold of the chain and gave a vicious pull, causing Richard to come to him. With expert timing Justin let out a sharp kick aimed at the blonde’s midsection, he was surprised when Richard grabbed the offending foot and holding the leg up, gave the man a punch to the side. Seconds after the punch hit home, Justin wrestled his leg free and aimed a sweeping kick at Richard’s knees making the man fall.

Grabbing hold of Richard’s head Justin held a knife at his love’s throat for a second before putting the knife down and laughing. Reaching down to pull the man from the floor Justin took the chance to see how their students had taken the small demonstration. He was amazed to see the students looking at them in fear, confusion, and awe.

Richard laughed, "That was fun but I still think we need to run through it again without any weapons. Are you in the mood for a little kickboxing later?"

"We’ll see if the bros want to join us. So what did you all think of our little demonstration?" Justin said addressing the question to the gaping audience.

Pansy Parkinson gasped out, "You mean that wasn’t real? You don’t want to kill each other?"

"Of course not. I would never hurt Justin. What the fuck is wrong with you?" Richard snarled at Pansy insulted and angry that they thought he could hurt the one person who he loved more than anything.

"Calm down, Mon Coeur. She is just a little shocked. We did just start fighting in front of them without warning." Justin said quickly, placing a calming hand on the irate blonde’s shoulder.

Squeezing the hand for a few seconds Richard calmed down as he always did when his lover touched him. Justin was the one person who could calm the angry, killing rage that sometimes clouded his mind.

"Now everyone we are going to tell you a little bit about what you are going to learn in this class. My name is Justin and this is my boyfriend Richard. You can call us by our first names. We are going to teach you Muggle fighting methods, which will also help your magical abilities by increasing your stamina and agility."

"Muggle fighting. Why on earth would we want to learn anything to do with Mudbloods?" Blaise Zabini sneered in outrage. The very idea was an affront to all wizards, Muggles had done nothing but cause disaster for wizards.

Shrugging Richard declared, "It is a compulsory class but more to the point because most of you would be killed in no time once you enter the real world away from Hogwarts. If you want to die then you can leave but if you stay, we can teach you a few tricks to help you live. We will teach you to listen to your instincts and use your common sense. Don’t listen to all the ridiculous myths that it is honourable to continue even when the chances of you winning are impossible. If you see a chance to get out of a confrontation, use it."

"I see they fit right in with Slytherin!" Ron hissed to his friends hoping no one else would hear him. The last thing he needed was a detention on the first day of school.

"We do actually. I’ve been wondering what you would do if you had done into the houses you where destined for."

"What do you mean by that, Justin?" Blaise said with a grin noticing the look of worry on the face of Harry Potter. He wanted to know what made the supposed glory boy react that way!

"I am a Seer and since coming here I have had a lot of visions. The most memorable are about a few students here. Now you, Harry Potter went to the wrong house. You were supposed to be in Slytherin but because of a certain someone’s interfering meant that you did not go to Slytherin as you were destined. You were supposed to find true allies within Slytherin and a new family but it wasn’t your fault. You were desperate for friends so you believed what Ron Weasley said without stopping to think about it."

"The famous Mr Potter, a Slytherin how scandalous." Draco drawled in amusement at the shock and fear on the boy’s face.

Hermonie protested, "He doesn’t have it in him to be in Slytherin. He’s not evil."

Justin shrugged, "Slytherin doesn’t mean evil, it means ambitious. True some people have an ambition for power but you shouldn’t tar everyone with the same brush. Now personally I am a good match for Slytherin. I am ambitious and cunning, I will do anything to get what I want. I am also a good match for Ravenclaw. I love learning and studying, you can normally find me in a library reading a book. Its true, I have done things in the past that weren’t very nice but I am no longer the man I was when I did those things."

"If I was supposed to be in Slytherin there would have been some signs, right?"

Justin nodded leaning down to whisper in the boy’s ear, "There have been signs, Harry. I know how ambitious and cunning you are. Hell, you remind me of myself. I know about those thoughts you have in the middle of the night that you are ashamed to admit. I know how much you dream of killing your relatives."

Harry gasped and moved away from his new teacher, he had never thought someone would get inside his head like that. What if Justin was right and he was supposed to be in Slytherin. Even though he detested the Slytherins he had to admit that he had admired the loyalty, the house gave to one another. He had to admit that he had never really felt comfortable in Gryffindor but had assumed it was because of his status as the resident celebrity.

Justin smiled cruelly before saying, "Now we are going to split all of you into mixed house pairs. Now the pairs are as follows; Neville Longbottom and Vincent Crabbe, Hannah Abbott and Mandy Brocklehurst. Susan Bones and Padma Patil, Parvati Patil and Sarah Caldwell. Terry Boot and Justin Finch-Fletchley, Lisa Turpin and Lavender Brown. Greg Goyle and Ron Weasley, Pansy Parkinson and Hermonie Granger. Blaise Zabini and Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas and Adrian Pucey. Malcolm Baddock and Ernie McMillian, Katie Bell and Millicent Bullstrode. Now the last pair is obviously Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter."

Ignoring the groans Richard continued his lover’s narrative, "The first thing you are all going to learn is how to stretch properly, then we are going to do some running. Everyone line up in pairs and follow us outside. Do not think about trying to sneak away because we will not be happy when we catch up with you."

Complete silence descended as the unhappy group walked outside, pointedly not looking at their partners. As they walked, Draco wondered just how he could use the information about Harry Potter to his advantage. He would never admit it to anyone but he had always wanted to by friends with the raven-haired boy. Harry's rejection was the reason why he hated the boy so much. He didn’t know why he was so hurt by Harry’s refusal to be his friend but he was and had vowed to make Potter suffer for daring to reject and hurt him.

Once all the students were standing in front of them Richard said, "Now if you don’t stretch before we work out, you’ll end up hurt. I want all of you to stretch out before we start running. The running will help get you all in good shape so you don’t get hurt when we move onto something else. After that we are going to talk to you all about the class and the wizarding world."

"Will you tell us why you decided to come teach here?" Harry asked quickly knowing he hadn’t been told something. He couldn’t help but feel someone should have told him the truth, he was always worried about being betrayed when he didn’t know everything about someone.

"Yes. Now everyone line up in a single row. We are going to jog around the perimeter of the school only six times since it’s the first class." Justin said seriously as he moved to stand at one side of the group.

Everyone let out a sigh of annoyance not looking forward to the first part of their lesson. They hadn’t expected an afternoon run was on their agenda but each one knew better than to argue with the teachers. The twenty-six students lined up in single file and waited for the signal.

One hour later, the run was over and the students were giving the teachers looks of amazement. The pair were acting as if the run was just a pleasant stroll in the park while all but two of the students were trying to catch their breath.

Draco Malfoy looked at his partner and smirked, amused that the boy was still trying to catch his breath. To think this was the saviour of the wizarding world! As his best friend approached the blonde smiled sharing a look of victory, he had bested Harry Potter even if it was only in something as ridiculous as running.

"As you are all so unfit the homework is that you all have to run around the grounds at least ten times before the next class I am expecting you all to shave off at least thirty seconds on your running times. You will also have a seven-page essay on the philosophy of Karate since we are going to be teaching it to you soon. Now can you all please walk inside," Richard said seriously as he looked at the students who he knew probably wanted to kill him in that instant.

"Sit down please in the pairs assigned earlier." Justin said once they were all standing inside the classroom. As he looked around the man was busy thinking about what to add to the room to make it feel more like a martial arts training room.

"Now we know you must have questions for us so please ask away. Just put your hand up if you have a question and once we call you name you can ask us anything." Richard said sitting down on the teachers’ desk next to Justin.

"Yes, Hermonie?" Justin said not surprised in the least that the redhead was the first to let her curiosity get the better of her.

"I was wondering how you came to know about Hogwarts? I don’t recognise your names from Hogwarts: A History." Hermonie said careful not to make her question sound like an accusation.

"Our brothers asked us to help them with a small problem. We agreed and so here we are."

Disgusted at the thought of brothers having sex Pansy asked, "So are you two brothers?"

Justin exclaimed shocked, "Gods NO! Nikias and Adam asked us to consider them family a while ago and we agreed. We now consider them our brothers in heart if not in blood."

"Harry, what is your question?" Richard asked quickly wanting to get away from an unusual topic.

"What are you two? You are not human, am I right?"

Richard nodded, "Yeah. I am half-elf and Justin is a descendent of some Titans."

"How old are you?" Terry asked seriously confused by the aura of pain and weariness surrounding the couple.

"We are both eighteen, I’m the oldest although not by that much." Richard answered getting a little bored by the routine questions.

"Have you ever killed someone?" Blaise asked with a small laugh.

Solemnly Justin nodded, "Yes we have."

There was a shocked silence as the information sank in and the teachers waited for the inevitable questions. More than a few of them were wondering why Dumbledore was allowing to murderers to teach them fighting, surely there was a chance that their teachers could attack them? Although they had been told by Methos and Nikias to be careful, who they told the couple knew the students would not reveal it to anyone else.

"Can you tell us about it?" Draco asked softly seeing the look of pain in Justin’s eyes and wanting to help remove that pain. "She was a woman we saw shopping. We kidnapped her and killed her. Although she wasn’t killed right away, we kept her prisoner before killing her. She was a nice looking woman and friendly."

"Why did you kill her?" Justin Finch-Fletchley asked wanting to understand what would drive someone to murder another human being.

Justin imparted bluntly, "We killed her to prove our love for each other, and because we wanted to prove it could be done?"

"Did anyone find out it was you who killed her?"

Richard nodded quickly replying, "Yes, Susan. Due to my fast healing abilities and the work of Nikias, I’m still here. He was the one who got Justin out of prison and made sure we were together."

"Was that before or after you started calling them brothers?" Draco asked confidently knowing the pair would tell the honest and bitter truth even if it was something they didn’t want to hear. "It was before but we feel in our hearts that Nikias and Adam are a part of us and that we are honoured to include them in our family." Justin said staring into the eyes of the students, trying to make them see what he saw when he looked at his brothers.

Richard said quickly, "I think that’s enough for now. I want you all to come and sit around us in a circle. We are going to talk about good, evil and neutrality. You have to learn to trust your partner because you will be spending every one of our lessons together and probably all of our brothers’ classes as well."

"Harry, you are known as the saviour of the wizarding world. So do you have an opinion of good and evil?"

"I think Voldemort is evil. He always has been." Harry answered confused as to why the blonde teacher was asking him such a ridiculous question.

Justin retorted, "Tom Riddle is a product of his upbringing really. He never knew his family and was raised in an orphanage were he was abused. No one came to help him and he started to believe all Muggles were dangerous and would only hurt wizards. No one helped him adjust to the wizarding world and no one punished his abusers. Did you know that he only became Voldemort after losing the woman he loved? Muggles killed her after they discovered her powers. He wasn’t able to help her because of the ban on underage magic and by the time the authorities got involved she was already dead."

Seeing the boy was starting to listen to him Justin continued solemnly, "Harry, imagine yourself in his position. You have been raped and beaten by Muggles all your life but no one came to help you. When you get into the wizarding, world you are an outsider and no one believes you after you tell them about the abuse. Finally, you fall in love with a woman called Kelly who truly understands you. You tell her about what happened but she does not pity or hate you. She agrees to marry you. One night when you are asleep, you have a vision about your love being beaten and killed by Muggles. You go to see your favourite teacher called Albus Dumbledore. He doesn’t help and says you are just imaging things so you have no way of rescuing her. You try to leave the school but there are too many anti-magic shields. You are sedated at Dumbledore’s behest after he says you are suffering from a lack of sleep and hysteria. After twelve hours have passed you manage to make someone believe you, you go to the place your love is laying. You arrive in time to see her die. Tell me, Harry who would you blame for her death? Would you blame Dumbledore for not believing you and sedating you so you cannot help her? Is the Ministry to blame for not allowing you to apparate to her even though you know her location? Would you blame the Muggles who killed her and took away your other half?"

"I would blame all of them and I would want to avenge her death." Harry admitted quickly knowing it was the truth.

"Exactly. Truthfully, he has gone slightly insane but I would probably do the same in his position. I guess most people would, " Justin said while gently squeezing his lover’s hand.

"So are you a supporter of Voldemort?"

"No Sarah, I’m neutral. I can see qualities in both sides that I support." Justin admitted ignoring the looks of anger on the faces of the Gryffindor students, he was shocked to see a look of understanding on Harry’s face. Perhaps there was hope for the boy to become the man he had the potential to be.

"Its unusual to find someone who is truly neutral in a war." Terry said amazed at their naivety since it was impossible to stay neutral in a war, as each side would assume on the other’s side.

"We will teach you how to fight but the most important thing we can teach you is to survive. Richard and I have used some slightly immoral methods to fight but we didn’t care about using them. I don’t care what you have to do to survive or the price you have to pay as long as you survive. You are no good to your friends and side if you are dead!"

Looking up at the pale teacher Harry questioned warily, "Did you tell the truth when you said I was supposed to be in Slytherin, Justin?"

"Of course, why would I lie about that?"

"Perhaps you are right but how could the Sorting Hat lie?" Harry ventured not wanting to upset his teacher in case the man refused to answer him.

Rolling his eye at the ridiculous question Justin explained patiently, "You were desperate to go into Gryffindor and the Hat wanted you to be happy. The hat told someone what it had done but was told if he would be destroyed if he told the truth."

"What would suggest I do now? What if I no longer belong in Slytherin?"

Seeing the strain of teaching was getting to his partner Richard decided to answer, "Ask to be resorted and the Sorting Hat will place you were you truly belong. Do not fight the hat this time and open your mind so it can discover where you truly belong,"

"Harry, don’t listen to them. You don’t belong with those bastards!" Ron protested angrily while holding onto his friend’s arm.

Giving a Mona Lisa smile Harry calmly proposed, "We’ll see what the Sorting Hat says. I would have asked about being resorted years ago but I didn’t know it could be done."

"Harry, you can come with us after class to see some friends of ours who will help. Draco, Blaise, and Hermonie are going to join us as well, it shouldn’t take long. You can have dinner with us."

The four students nodded while Ron Weasley glared at the two new teachers feeling betrayed at his exclusion to attend the meeting. He was Harry’s best friend and the only one who could be trusted to help Harry. He knew the pair were lying about his friend’s sorting, Harry belonged with him and that meant in Gryffindor.

"That’s it for today then. You can all leave now but remember to do your homework. Anyone who doesn’t will be serving detention for one hour with the two of us." Justin said commandingly ignoring the dismayed groans. He felt it was only fair considering the age of the students in question, they had no reason to neglect their studies.

Once everyone but the four students had left, Justin took the opportunity to examine the quartet in detail. He wanted to trust them but he felt there was something he was missing. From what he had been told by Snape and his own visions these four were some of the most intelligent, creative, and loyal students in the school but each one had darkness in their soul that was waiting to be unleashed.

"Pick up your things and come with us. It’s time to talk some people who might be able to fix the problems in this school." Justin said seriously, placing an arm around his lover’s waist as he waited for the students to sort themselves out.

Minutes later Justin and Richard started walking out of the classroom leaving the four no choice but to follow. The four students looked at each other in confusion not knowing why they had been singled out or what exactly needed fixing. Was there something wrong with each of them? If so could it be cured?

 

Part 16

"This is one fucked up dream." Draco Malfoy mumbled as he waked towards the Gryffindor part of the school, working hard to quell the compulsion to scream for answers.

The nimble blonde had never imagined there would be a day when he would willingly walk into the Gryffindor tower but then he had never imagined having Harry Potter as one of his housemates either. The only obvious conclusion was that it was all a screwed up dream or possibly a result of poisoning on the orders of the insane Voldemort.

Draco had freely admitted to himself and his best friend Blaise that he wanted power but that didn’t mean he was going to follow some insane obviously suicidal wizard. It was obvious the Dark Lord had lost his mind since the wizard had actually given Harry Potter his wand back during one of their fights. Even he knew that in a fight to the death you didn’t give your opponent a weapon, you incapacitated them while you had the chance. If Voldemort had done that to a Slytherin, the idiot would be dead by now but apparently, Harry had been infected by the noble, moronic attitude of the Gryffindors or possibly Dumbledore.

Humming the latest Weird Sisters song loudly, Draco shared an amused grin with his best friend before the Blaise started whistling the same tune. As Draco had planned it caught the attention of the students lining the hallways. The students stared perplexed at the sight of the two enemies Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy walking companionably side by side.

Beside him, Harry couldn’t help but worry as he walked towards the Gryffindor tower. He didn’t know how his friends were going to treat him now it had been revealed that he was in the wrong house. He had suspected as much for years. Now all he had to do was try to get Dumbledore to let him be resorted. Now the Gryffindors knew he was a Slytherin at heart his life was over, he knew his friends hated all Slytherins simply because of their house.

The only exception was Neville who had been openly dating both Blaise Zabini and Terry Boot for the last three months. Neville was treated like dirt by his own housemates, having been tripped up and banged into over fifty times since his relationship started. Neville had taken it upon himself to learn a number of healing charms for his own safety. No one knew that Harry had known about the relationship between the trio, but had kept secret for months even creating an illusion of Neville in the dorm so no one would know his friend was sleeping in the Slytherin dungeon.

Harry was still shocked at Blaise’s promise to help him if he needed it saying he now owed Harry a wizard’s debt that duty demanded be paid. All Harry had asked for was for Blaise to make sure Neville was happy; Harry knew personally how fleeting happiness could be.

While the six walked down the hall, four of them in wary confusion Justin tried to slow down the visions assaulting his mind. He had to make sense of everything before it tore him to pieces. There was no way he could tell Harry or Draco what was going to happen to them but he knew it was for the best. With a quick glance at his lover Justin grinned happily, looking forward to spending time with Richard away from everyone.

"We’re here. Keep quiet until we’ve explained the situation." Justin said sparing a look at the four obviously worried students before knocking on the door.

Opening the door Nikias beamed at his brothers, "Hey boys."

"These are the two you need, Nik." Justin explained with a brief look at Draco and Harry.

"Great! Come on in!" Nikias joyously exclaimed as he moved back to let the six walk inside his room.

"Please sit down and then we can explain everything," Methos instructed from his seat next to the chessboard.

The living room was decorated in the somewhat stylish black and white style. The walls were all painted a bright white that made the room appear large. All the seating was made from luscious black leather while the three tables were glass topped with silver legs. All the guests stared at the centre of the room were there was a large table on which sat two swords, guns and a number of daggers.

Justin sat down on the black leather sofa sitting against the back wall of the room and reached up to pull Richard down next to him. He watched impatiently as Draco at down on the other sofa with Blaise joining him with an unconcerned shrug. Harry and Hermonie took the two unoccupied chairs close to the door.

Justin said seriously, "Harry and Hermonie are in the wrong houses. Harry should be in Slytherin while Hermonie should be in Ravenclaw. The Sorting Hat told Dumbledore but he ignored it. Some other people in the sixth year are in the wrong house. We need to figure out a way to get the whole of the sixth year resorted very soon so we can leave and get the other two we need."

Methos said calmly, "We can arrange for a resorting. All we need is five teachers, one of whom must be a Head of House to request a resorting. Since we are classed as, teachers the four of Sev and us should be enough. The Sorting Hat must announce in the Great Hall that a Re-Sorting is needed."

"What did Justin mean when he said we were the two you needed?" Draco asked with feigned disinterest.

Nikias said in a bored tone, "Thousands of years ago I was an Olympian God. I died and returned to the world as an Immortal with the task of finding six people needed to take over the Godhoods of six Gods who will die in the Twilight. The Fates gave a select few the knowledge of this prophesised quest. One of them is an old friend called Iolaus, who told me where to find the first two. The two in question are Justin and Richard, two Immortals. All we know is that the six people are all of impure blood, meaning they are either demonic, Immortal or magical in nature."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"You and Harry are the next two we need. The six people in question are made up of three couples. Justin and Richard are one; you Draco are half of the second couple. Harry is half of the last couple."

"Have you thought about going to the hospital wing? Have you just escaped from St Mungo’s?" Blaise commented wryly.

Draco said in an awed whisper, "I think they’re telling the truth. It is too fantastical for it not to be the truth, Blaise. Who would make up something like that?"

"Of course we are telling the truth. We have far more important things to do than play jokes on schoolchildren." Nikias said scornfully while glaring at Blaise who simply glared back.

"I think I’ll wait until you have a dose of Veritaserum." Harry said sceptically.

Nikias nodded understandingly, "If that’s what you want. I don’t suppose any of you have some hanging around? I have some but I think you would like some that you have made yourself."

"Actually, I have some." Hermonie admitted causing Harry to stare at his friend in amazement having never expected such behaviour from his friend.

"Go and get it then come back here." Methos instructed grinning when the girl eagerly ran out the door.

 

"Here you go. Are you both going to take it?"

Nikias gave an unconcerned shrug, "If it will make you believe us then of course we will."

"It will help." Harry said honestly as Hermonie gave the vial to Nikias.

Nikias swallowed two drops before passing the potion to his lover who followed suit. Turning together the pair focused their attention on the sceptical Harry Potter and waited to find out exactly what he needed to know.

"What are your names?" Hermonie asked looking the pair in the eyes.

Nikias said softly, "My name is Nikias. Millennia ago I was known as Strife God of Mischief."

"My true name is Methos, the Horseman of Death. Although right now I am using the name Adam Pierson."

"The potion’s working." Richard interjected with a glare at the Gryffindor pair knowing Methos would never reveal title as Death to a room full of people they didn’t know anything about.

"Where are we, Nikias?"

"We are in Hogwarts School of Magic and Wizardry, Harry. We are in the Staff Section of Gryffindor in our rooms."

Hermonie nodded saying, "Are the two of you in charge of collecting six people for a prophecy?"

"Yes we are. It is part of the Twilight prophecy."

Wanting to get it all over with Harry asked, "Who are the six people you need to collect?"

"I only know the identity of four." Methos said before rattling off the names, "Justin, Richard, Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy."

"Do you know anything about the identity of the other two, Nikias?" Blaise asked perceptively having noticed the wording of Methos’ response.

Nikias admitted, "The pair are in Sunnydale, California. One has blonde hair and the other is a brunette."

"I think that’s enough questions. How long until the potion wears off?"

Draco said quickly, "Seeing they only took a small dose only another thirty minutes. We should go and see Professor Snape. He’ll be in his rooms now."

"That sounds like a good idea." Richard said with a quick look at his brothers, hoping they could keep quiet. He didn’t want the pair to blurt out something they might later regret.

 

Opening the door Snape sneered, "What an interesting group (!) Please come in, I have to know what has Mr Potter working with Slytherins."

As the group walked into the room Nikias said, "They are both needed for the prophecy. We’ll be taking them with us when we leave, Sev. Apparently the Sorting Hat needs to resort a lot of the sixth year students, they are in the wrong house but Dumbledore refused to fix the problem."

"Who told you this and how did they know?"

Nikias gave a brief grin answering, "Justin saw it in a vision. Harry and Hermonie are amongst those who need resorting. Harry is actually a Slytherin and Hermonie is a Ravenclaw. Will you call for a Resorting Ceremony with the four of us?"

"I trust both of you with my life so if you feel it is needed, I will." Snape answered honestly not noticing the way his students’ eyes widened.

"Thanks Sev, I’m sorry for intruding on your free time especially with this kind of problem. What are we going to do with Dumbledore?"

Snape shrugged answering, "He is a man and is capable of making mistakes. There may be a good reason for him doing what he has done. We will find out when we ask for a sorting. Do you want to ask now or wait until tomorrow morning?"

Methos said thoughtfully. "We should do it now and get it over with. I plan to leave here on Friday since we’ve found Harry and Draco right away."

"What if we don’t want to leave?" Harry said angrily unhappy that these strangers had taken control of his life.

Methos said seriously, "There is no reason why you shouldn’t come with us. We can teach you anything you will miss here and we won’t let either of you be hurt. You will learn exactly how to stop Voldemort if you come with us and you will get some powerful allies."

"There’s no way I can leave, Lucius wouldn’t let me." Draco said anxiously knowing it was true.

Nikias said honestly, "He’ll let you come with us. I’ll write and inform him of exactly who we are. I will tell him that we are going to teach you in the Dark Arts. Lucius knows how powerful we are and he knows we can make you very powerful. He wants power and by allowing you to come with us, he can get closer to the power he craves. Draco, he will not cause any problems."

"Let’s go to eat then. Its time for us to call for a resorting. Are you okay with all this Justin and Richard?"

Richard nodded at Nikias, "Yeah, we’re just looking forward to going back home to be completely honest."

"I just want to spend some time alone with Rich," Justin admitted blushing slightly at Draco’s eye roll. He couldn’t help it if the only thing he wanted was to hold Richard secure in the knowledge that his boyfriend was going to be with him forever.

"I know how you feel babe." Richard said softly before capturing his lover’s lips and kissing the man passionately.

Coughing loudly to get their attention Hermonie blushed as she said, "We should go for tea now before we miss it. The rules are fairly strict about everyone attending meals unless they are excused by their head of house or for medical reasons."

"Sorry about that we just got caught up in the moment." Richard said keeping tight hold of Justin knowing just how easily embarrassed the brunette was with public displays of affection.

"Don’t worry about it boys, just enjoy being together." Nikias said seriously glaring at the others to stop them saying anything. He knew how important it was to cherish the time you got to spend with your lover even Immortals had to live with the knowledge that their loved one could die, admittedly the risk was considerably less than that of a mortal but it still existed.

 

Harry ate in silence ignoring the questioning looks from his friends and the glares from Seamus and Dean. He knew they felt betrayed by Harry’s acceptance that he could be a Slytherin at heart but Harry couldn’t change the way he felt. He hadn’t changed but he knew many of his friends would become enemies once he was resorted into Gryffindor.

Feeling Hermonie squeeze his hand tightly in support, Harry turned to look at the girl smiling as confidently as possible. He wasn’t going to let his fears show, he believed Justin had only wanted to help and he knew there was nothing he could do to change his fate. He stared in awed terror as Professor Snape stood and looked around the Great Hall stopping to focus on the four new teachers before nodding seriously.

"Headmaster Dumbledore, I respectfully request a resorting of the Sixth Years. The Sorting Hat and my own research has indicated that a resorting is needed."

"I see. I will consent to a resorting providing your request is supported by four other teachers. Do you have four teachers willing to support a resorting?"

"We support a resorting." Nikias and Methos said together causing everyone to look at the couple that had stood along with Justin and Richard.

"I saw in a vision that a resorting is needed." Justin explained on feeling the head teacher looking at him.

Richard smiled at his lover saying, "I trust in my lover’s visions and believe a resorting is needed."

"So be it. Professor McGonagall, would you please fetch the sorting hat?" Dumbledore said seriously causing the students watching to gasp in awe that they were actually going to see a resorting.

McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on a stool in the middle of the room before saying, "One by one I shall call your name. When your name is called go to the centre of the room, please place the Sorting Hat on, and wait for the Hat to deliver a verdict."

The sixth years nodded as one each worried about the possibility of having to join a new house and make new friends. Everyone watched expectantly as Hannah Abbott walked to the Sorting Hat only to be told she belonged in her current house.

Terry Boot smiled in satisfaction as he sat on the stool waiting to be told where he belonged. He had a few ideas himself but he wanted to see if the Sorting Hat agreed.

"SLYTHERIN!" The Sorting Hat announced quickly taking only a minute to choose the correct House.

Terry smiled happily as he walked over to the Slytherin table, sitting next to his boyfriend proudly. He was were he wanted to be, he hoped the other resorted students would be as happy in their new Houses as he was.

Harry watched in shock as Sarah Caldwell a quiet Slytherin was resorted into Ravenclaw. The next to be resorted was Tracey Davis who was taken from Slytherin and placed in Gryffindor. The girl did not look very happy with her new house but Harry wondered what kind of reception she was going to get from her new housemates. He knew how much the Gryffindors hated Slytherins.

Hermonie walked to the stool confidently already knowing were she was going to be placed since Justin had told her earlier. She comforted herself with the knowledge that at least Ravenclaw was friendly with both Gryffindor and Slytherin.

Snape looked on in fear as Neville Longbottom put on the Sorting Hat, for the first time in decades he prayed. He didn’t want Longbottom in his house; it was bad enough that Harry Potter was going to be placed in Slytherin.

"I see you have discovered that you do not belong in Gryffindor. I am pleased to see you have found true love though. Now you are ready for your true house," The Sorting Hat said to Neville calling out to the room, "SLYTHERIN!"

Neville grinned happily as he ran over to the Slytherin table where he was passionately kissed by both his lovers. He smiled at his fellow Slytherins who murmured congratulations before turning back to the watch the drama unfold.

Jane Matthews and Adrian Moon were both removed from Hufflepuff and placed in Gryffindor. The room watched as the couple screamed for joy on realising they would stay together.

"Harry Potter!" Professor McGonagall called out before giving the dark haired boy a reassuring smile. She was confident the boy wouldn’t be resorted since he displayed so many of the clearly Gryffindor traits.

The Sorting Hat said sadly inside Harry’s mind, "I see you have discovered the truth. I am sorry for not placing you where you belong but I only wanted you to be happy. However the time has come for me to correct my mistake."

"SLYTHERIN!" The Sorting Hat called out proudly causing the Gryffindors to gasp in amazement.

Ron Weasley looked at his former best friend in disgust, it was obvious to him that Harry was no longer the boy he called friend. Perhaps Harry had never been his friend since the black haired boy had obviously been lying to him for years. There was no way he could be friends with a Slytherin, the whole house was evil. Harry had obviously joined with Voldemort, as his mother had feared.

Harry ignored the intense whispered speculation as he walked over to the Slytherin table, warily watching as Draco Malfoy stood. He stared into Malfoy’s eyes knowing this moment was going to determine the nature of their relationship for the rest of their lives.

"Welcome to Slytherin, Harry. Please take a seat next to me," Draco said seriously while holding out his hand.

"Thank you for accepting me." Harry said as he shook the offered hand before sitting down as gracefully as possible.

The remainder of the sixth year students went silently to the Sorting Hat but only one person was resorted. Dean Thomas was removed from Gryffindor and placed in Hufflepuff causing, the boy to look around in confusion. It was obvious Dean had never imagined leaving his friends or house.

"The resorting is complete. All students that have been resorted can be excused from dinner to take their belongings to their new house. Will one student from each house please show the new housemates to their new houses?"

Draco Malfoy stood up deciding it was best that he show the new Slytherins to their rooms. At the Gryffindor table Ron Weasley stood up not looking in Harry’s direction. Michael Corner from Hufflepuff stood silently, as did Isabel McDougal from Ravenclaw. All four looked at their head of house before leaving the room, their new housemates following in silence.

 

"This is great!" Neville said excitedly overjoyed that he was now with both of his lovers; he hated having to spend so much time away from Terry and Blaise. At least the Slytherin housemates were more accepting of alternative sexualities, the Gryffindors had treated him like a pariah because he was gay.

Keeping one arm around the smaller man’s waist Terry nodded, "I know, babe. At least we won’t have to sneak around as we used to. It’s weird that the Sorting Hat placed both of us in Slytherin though. It saves me and Blaise from having to kill the Gryffindors I suppose."

Once the group arrived at the Gryffindor tower Draco and Terry remained outside while the two former Gryffindors collected their belongings. As they waited the pair warily looked around knowing the Gryffindors would be very angry now they had lost two of their number.

Terry asked hesitantly, "Can Neville and I room with Blaise, Draco?"

"I assumed you would be. Don’t worry I’m sure everyone will like both of you. Harry’s the one who might have problems." Draco replied confidently. It was rare for the Slytherins to accept outsiders but both Terry and Neville were accepted since the first day the pair had walked into the Slytherin common room and had made a sincere effort to become friends with the Slytherins.

"We’re ready to go." Harry said causing the pair to look over where he and Neville stood waiting.

Draco looked them over for a few seconds before saying, "Okay, we’ll put everything in the rooms and then you three will have to see Professor Snape. He’ll go through the rules of Slytherin. After you’ve met him we will introduce you to the Slytherin house formally."

"That sounds good." Terry said as he wrapped his arm around his boyfriend leading the way towards the dungeons in silence.

 

"Welcome to Slytherin House, Harry, Neville and Terry. There are a few rules Slytherins have followed for years that I expect you to follow. The most important is that we do not have arguments amongst ourselves were anyone else can hear. Slytherins do not put each other down in public; we have to present a united front. I teach a special duelling and defence class only for the members of my house. It is voluntary but I think it would be a good idea for you to join. Since you are in my house I expect all of you to be good at potions, to that end I’ve appointed a student teacher for you all. Blaise and Pansy will teach Neville and Terry, Draco will be teaching Harry."

"When do you want us to start our classes?" Terry asked taking control of the situation since his lover was extremely nervous around the teacher.

"The next class is next Tuesday at 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. I know the rest of our house will help you prepare." Snape answered thoughtfully with a brief look at Harry who he knew wouldn’t be there for the extra lessons but then if Nikias’ guesses were correct Harry would be a God once the prophecy was completed and as such would no longer need lessons in magic.

Nikias had confided that he believed the six people he was supposed to gather would become gods taking over the Godhood of those Gods who had died in the Twilight. The Immortal had said it was inevitable that some of his family would be dead it was just a matter of who. Methos had theorised that the Gods who died would be the one no one believed in or of who represented facets of human nature that people no longer felt.

"Now I want you all to go to the common room where Draco will introduce you to the house and organise your room assignments." Snape said seriously with a pointed look at the front door.

"We’ll see you later, Sir." Neville said respectfully as he walked out of the room heading to the Slytherin Common Room in a daze his boyfriend next to him while Harry walked slowly behind them.

Harry was busy thinking about the possibility of having to cope with being essentially forever bonded to some person he didn’t even know. What if he hated whoever his match was? He couldn’t help but envy Justin and Richard who had obviously been involved before they discovered they were part of a prophecy. The couple had it easy compared to him and Draco, who had no idea who or even what type of creature they were bonded to eternally. It could be some sort of demon and they had no choice from what Nikias had said.

 

Draco impatiently waited outside the common room for the three teens knowing their talk with Snape should be over since Snape had a meeting with his lover who just happened to be Draco’s mother, Narcissa. Since the age of four, Draco had known his real father was Severus Snape and that his mother was having an affair with the teacher. His mother had told him not to reveal the truth of his parentage and he had remained silent. Lucius still believed himself to be Draco’s father and if Lucius found out, he would kill Draco, Narcissa, and Severus.

Since both Lucius and Severus were demonic in nature the elder Malfoy hadn’t discovered the true nature of Draco’s parentage. Draco had a spell on him from the time of his birth to disguise him until he reached the age of seventeen, which would happen in two weeks, as he was one of the oldest in his school year.

At dawn on his seventeenth birthday Draco would assume his true appearance, his father had said the changes would be his hair colour changing to black, his face becoming angular, and his build becoming wirier. Draco had decided that since he wasn’t going to be in Hogwarts when the changes hit he would have to tell Nikias, Methos, Justin, Richard and Harry the truth about his parentage so they didn’t freak when he changed. He would ask them all to meet him at seven the following morning giving them plenty of time to talk.

Draco looked up at the sound of footsteps approaching and relaxed on recognising the footfalls of Harry. He was never going to tell anyone that he actually recognised the dark haired boy’s footsteps but then he would also never reveal that he had been infatuated with Harry for six months during the previous school year. It wasn’t too surprising since the blonde had essentially been in heat for six months; it was inherited from his Veela mother. During his heat period, he had focused entirely on one person, Harry Potter. Unlike most Veelas, he had been able to control himself to the extent that he did not actually seduce Harry. Draco had not wanted to take advantage of the boy knowing Harry wouldn’t be able to resist as very few people had the ability to resist the mating heat of a Veela.

Draco smiled softly at the three, "Welcome back guys. Come inside and I’ll give you a brief introduction to the house before escorting you all to your rooms."

Draco muttered the password before walking into the common room feeling the anxious group close behind him. As he had instructed the rest of the house was waiting in the common room for his speech. He was the unofficial leader of the house with Blaise and Pansy his second in commands. The room fell silent as the four walked to the middle of the room.

"Fellow Slytherins, we discovered today that a small number of people in the sixth year were placed in the wrong house by the Sorting Hat. Today that grave injustice was rectified when three true Slytherins were placed in the house they truly belong in, Slytherin! Our three new Slytherins are Harry James Potter, Neville Longbottom, and Terry Boot. I expect all of you to welcome them warmly. If you cause these three any problems then you will automatically face myself in a duel. Do any of you have questions?"

"I have one, how did the Sorting Hat make the mistake in the first place?" Graham Pritchard questioned suspiciously having been told the Hat could not be spelled.

Draco answered honestly, "Those placed in the wrong house were either done so because they already had friends in that house, because they refused to open themselves up or because the Sorting Hat was working on the information of Dumbledore. Harry was placed in Gryffindor because he argued with the Hat refusing to be placed in Slytherin because he had friends in Gryffindor. Neville fought the Hat meaning it couldn’t get an accurate read on him and Terry already had friends in his old house."

"Myself, Draco and Snape will vouch for all three of them! On another topic we have to expect a cold attitude from Gryffindor and a possible attack."

After Blaise had finished speaking Draco nodded, "That’s right so all of those in the third year or below are not allowed to go anywhere unless you are in a group of three. I don’t trust the Gryffindors not to attack so I am running an extra defence class. It will be taught by the sixth years. Just remember that if you are going to break rules or fight with someone, do not get caught. Have a backup plan and an alibi ready just in case. If you are caught take the punishment quietly and do not implicate anyone else. I want all of you to listen to the rumours and report them back. Blaise, Daphne, and Millicent are in charge of communication so tell them right away. Pansy, Gregory, and Vincent are in charge of tactics like normal so tell them if you hear about any attacks. I am in charge of potions and healing with Helen as my second. Adrian if you have any visions, write the in your journal and tell me ASAP. That is it for now, dismissed."

Harry could only gape at the blonde in confusion, never having imagined Draco essentially ran a war committee of Slytherins in case something could go wrong. It was rather scary and he wondered what sort of home life the Slytherins had that meant they could accept this as normal. Was it possible that the Slytherins had lives as miserable at home as he?

His tone making it clear that it was an order Draco said, "Harry, Neville, Terry and Blaise all come with me please as we sort out the room arrangements."

 

*

"Take a seat and I’ll explain the rooming plans." Draco said to the four as they sat in the boys dorm that was empty apart from the five of them.

Once everyone was comfortable Draco seriously explained, "I assumed the three lovebirds would be rooming together so I’ve arranged for you to have the bedroom Snape had installed for himself in here. It is bigger than all the other private rooms so it should be perfect for you. All you have to do is take it the current password is Raven, change the password when you get there."

"Drake, thank you for doing this. You’ll never know how much it means to me," Blaise said seriously as he kissed the side of his best friend’s face, grinning when both of his lovers copied him.

"Come on, loves. Its time to sort out our room." Terry said while standing. He waited for Neville and Blaise to do the same and wrapped an arm around both of their shoulders.

Draco and Harry both watched slightly jealous as the threesome walked out of the room so obviously in love with one another. The watchers wondered if they would feel the same about their supposed destined mates.

"Harry, you are going to be sharing a room with me. Once we are in the fifth year all Slytherins are moved into new rooms that they have to share with someone. Now I was sharing with Blaise but since he has his own room, you will be rooming with me. I don’t know if Snape told you but we also have a rule about sexuality. People can sleep with whomever they like in our house. Normally at least half of the Slytherins in each turn out to be gay or bisexual. Multiple partner relationships are very common here so don’t be shocked if you hear or see a group of people together."

"That’s fine with me. I really don’t care who people sleep with me." Harry admitted shocked at how accepting the Slytherins were since homophobia seemed to be common in the wizarding world.

"Great, now I have something to ask you. Could you please meet me at Professor Snape’s room tomorrow morning at seven? I have a few things that you, Nikias, Methos, Justin and Richard need to know before we leave for California."

"Of course. You aren’t ill are you?" Harry asked nervously, not liking the blonde’s tone. It was as if Draco was almost afraid of telling whatever it was that he needed to reveal.

Draco chuckled answering, "No, but what I have to tell you is very important and must be kept secret. You’ll have to wait until tomorrow to find out what it is."

"Okay. So can you show me to our room?" Harry said changing the subject in case it made the blonde uncomfortable. The last thing he wanted was for the Slytherin leader to hate him, he had just seen the power and respect the blonde commanded.

With a small nod Draco lead the way to the room stopping on the way to say hello to a few of the younger Slytherins who still looked decidedly uncomfortable with Harry’s presence. He knew it would take some time for everyone to get used to the former Gryffindor Golden Boy but he wasn’t going to let anyone abuse a fellow Slytherin while he was the leader of their house. Reaching the room the blonde whispered the password before walking inside and sitting on his bed, turning to watch Harry’s expression when he saw the room.

The room was decorated in the Slytherin colours of green and silver but there were a number of pictures on the walls depicting famous historical wizarding monuments and sites of famous battles. On the west wall there was a large bookcase that was completely full, Harry had never seen so many books together outside of a library. Harry estimated the number of books to be around four hundred, he wondered how Draco found the time to read all of those books and still get top marks in most of his subjects. The middle of the room was dominated by a large round oak table on, which sat a vase of yellow roses and two black books book titled "1000 Deadly Potions and Their Antidotes" and "Healing Potions and Magic throughout the Ages."

Harry looked at the books slightly worried about what it said about his roommate. He wondered if it meant Draco had murderous tendencies or if it meant that the older teen was merely looking for ways to help other people since the both books could be considered beneficial.

Reaching into his pocket Harry took out the reduced size suitcases and placed them on the floor. Taking his wand from his pocket the black haired teen pointed at his suitcases saying, "Engorgio!"

He watched in satisfaction as his belongings returned to their normal size. He looked at Draco to find out where he was supposed to put everything smiling when the blonde instantly started talking. It was as if Draco was reading his mind!

Draco walked over to the table saying, "You can have the wardrobe and drawers on the south side. If that’s not enough room let me know and you can have the third wardrobe. Right now I’m just using it for storage since I can’t get all my books on the shelves."

"I don’t think I’ll need another wardrobe but thanks for the offer." Harry replied before starting to organise his clothes, books, and supplies.

Sitting down Draco contented himself with catching up on his reading wanting to be prepared in case the quest he was suddenly involved in turned out to be dangerous. He wasn’t going to let anyone suffer because he hadn’t practised his healing magic but since he had been the resident Slytherin Healer since he was fourteen Draco was confident he had mastered the common healing spells.

While he was working, the blonde mentally contacted his father, /Dad, can you ask Nikias and Methos to go to your room tomorrow morning at seven. Since they like you, they might agree easier than if I ask them./

Severus Snape answered quickly, /Of course. I take it you are going to ask Justin and Richard yourself?/

/I will go and see them in about an hour once I’ve finished my reading./ Draco replied before closing the mental connection.

 

*

Richard was lying on the sofa with his arm around his beautiful brunette lover as he tried to figure out just what was making him feel so on edge. He didn’t know why but he had a feeling that something was going to happen soon and whatever it was would be bad. He just hoped whatever it was wouldn’t hurt Justin.

Justin purred slightly at the feel of the well-known hands running through his hair. He could happily spend forever like this, the two of them so in sync with each other that they even breathed together. Justin knew he would have to speak to his brothers about what kind of troubles they could face in Sunnydale.

What was worrying Justin the most was the chance of Draco and Harry having to marry some creature they hated. They could be forced to marry an abusive bastard and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Justin knew he was lucky because he had been in love with Richard before the prophecy, he didn’t know how he would have reacted had he been in the boys’ position.

It was entirely possible that the pair would instantly fall in love with their chosen mates once they met them as Justin had fallen for Richard. He had known from the instant they met that Richard was the one he wanted to be with for the rest of his life. Of course, it had been a lot more difficult to actually gather the courage to approach the blonde. He thanked whatever deities looked after terrified, lovesick teens that he had made that move though.

Justin admitted, "I feel sorry for them. Harry and Draco’s whole lives have been changed without warning and they are losing everything they knew. Imagine how they must feel knowing they are going to be with someone they don’t even know for the rest of their lives."

Richard nodded in understanding saying softly, "I know at least we loved each other before all the prophecy craziness started. Draco and Harry will have to be forever bonded, married whatever you want to call it with people they’ve never even seen. Their chosen mates could be some grotesque, human-devouring demon."

"Yeah but their mates could also be the nicest people in the world. We should be there for them; it’s a scary situation to be in. Remember how scared we were at first when we found each other?"

Smiling fondly at the memories the brunette’s words called to mind Richard said, "I remember but we didn’t have anyone to speak to. I think it made us closer though because we only had each other to talk with about our fears."

"There is that, love. Do you feel like taking a walk around the grounds?" Justin stood up stretching slightly before grinning down at his lover who was still lying down.

Reaching out a hand for Justin to pull him up the blonde drawled, "Sure. Remind me to ask Methos and Nik about this Sunnydale we are going to. I’m not going somewhere that could hurt you without knowing about it."

As they were about to walk out of the room there was a loud knock causing the pair to look at each other. With a sigh, Richard walked over to the answer the door while the other man took a seat figuring they may be a while.

"Oh hi, Draco. Is everything okay?" Richard said concerned when he saw the nervousness in the young blonde wizard’s eyes.

"Can I come in?" Draco asked hesitantly not wanting to interrupt at a special moment.

Richard nodded and moved back saying, "Come in and take a seat. Do you want a drink or anything?"

Draco sat on the armchair turning to face the pair as he answered, "I’m fine thanks. I was wondering if you would meet me at Professor Snape’s room tomorrow morning at seven? I need to talk about a few things before we leave."

Richard looked at his partner seeing the man nod he answered, "Of course will be there. How are you feeling about the prophecy?"

Draco answered bluntly, "I’m kind of scared about it to be perfectly honest. I don’t want to get married and knowing my look, I would end up with some abusive asshole. There isn’t anything I can do about it is there?"

Justin said sadly, "Not really from what my brothers have said none of us have a choice, it’s the reason we exist in the first place. It could be worse though, at least you know there’s no chance of having to marry Voldemort."

"There is that I suppose. How long have you been together?"

Justin squeezed his lover’s hand tenderly answering, "Nine months ever since I kissed Rich one day when we were studying together. We’ve gone through a lot but I wouldn’t change anything. It has made us closer than we ever imagined being, we feel as if we are one."

Draco drawled dejectedly, "It must be nice to have that. I’m going back to my room now, I’ve got a lot to study."

"We’ll see you later." Justin said while his love echoed his words saying goodbye.

Draco nodded at the pair as he walked out the room working hard to bury his jealously of the pair. He had never loved someone as much as Justin and Richard appeared to love each other but he wanted that. He wanted someone that would love everything about him and accept his secrets without hating him. He didn’t think there was any chance of finding it seeing how his future was an arranged marriage and he didn’t think he could love someone without being friends with them first. He wondered what his chosen mate would think of it, would whoever it was hate him for ruing their life? It wasn’t as if he actually wanted this, he was quite happy with his life the way it was. He was going to move in with his father on his seventeenth birthday, he hadn’t spent much time at Snape Manor but he the time he had spent there was full of joy and laughter unlike the Malfoy Manor he had lived in for years.

 

"I want to thank you all for coming. I’m sorry for making you all wake so early but I didn’t want anyone to overhear what I have to tell you." Draco said as he looked around the room at assorted bleary-eyed people.

Methos and Nikias were sitting together on the sofa wide-awake while next to them sat the younger immortal couple who were looking decidedly half asleep. Harry was looking at Draco nervously wondering what was so important and hoping Draco was okay. Snape was sitting in a black chair calmly drinking a cup of mint tea.

Draco sighed saying, "To make a long story short my appearance has been changed by the strongest form of magic blood magic. My mother did the spell when I was merely days old to protect herself and me from Lucius. My mother knew once he discovered that he was not my father he would kill all of us."

"Who is your father?" Harry asked suspiciously wondering why Snape, Nikias, and Methos didn’t look shocked at this announcement.

Draco smiled softly saying, "My father is Severus Snape, and at dawn on my seventeenth birthday in two weeks time my appearance will change. My hair will turn black, my build will change, and my eyes skin will become a darker shade. I felt it was the best thing to tell you all so that you don’t panic when I suddenly change."

Harry’s mouth fell open in amazement. How on Earth had Snape managed to keep his son a secret? He wondered what Lucius Malfoy was going to do now when he discovered the truth, would he kill Draco, Snape and Draco’s mother.

"What are you going to do after your seventeenth birthday, Draco?" Harry asked seriously concerned that the older teen hadn’t thought it through.

Draco said honestly, "My mother is leaving Lucius in a week. She will stay in the Snape Manor and appeal for divorce at the same time. Once the divorce is final, my father will marry my mother and I will join them in Snape Manor once I have finished this stupid quest. I will formally inform everyone of my true paternity as they will know right away that Lucius is not my father."

"Thank you for telling us." Harry said honestly while wondering how no one had detected the magic on Draco.

"Its nothing. So what is this Sunnydale like?" Draco said looking at his father and the Immortals.

Methos said thoughtfully, "Sunnydale is a Hellmouth meaning that there is a large demonic population. We will probably encounter a number of demons and the Hellmouth can sometimes cause headaches in wizards. Immortals are in particular danger on a Hellmouth because there are plenty of demons that would happily tear the head from an Immortal to get the Quickening from them. So we will have to be extra careful, I think there will be any major problems though. There’s a Slayer in Sunnydale who keeps the demonic population under control on the whole."

"What is a Slayer?" ""Do you think we’ll see her?" Harry asked wanting to meet someone who knew what it was like to feel the weight of the world on you, knowing that the survival of all the people you cared about depended on you.

Seeing the worry and excitement on their faces Methos admitted, "Probably because she will sense our power. She will know right away that we are all different because she can feel supernatural power. It helps her locate potential threats."

"As long as she doesn’t attack us, I don’t really care about her." Richard said with a shrug knowing that he would kill anyone who attacked his partner.

"I don’t think there’s any chance of her attacking. Now I suggest we all go back to our rooms and relax for a while before breakfast. We’ll be in Sunnydale soon enough." Methos said standing feeling his husband so the same next to him. With a smile at the others the pair left soon followed by everyone else making Snape happy, as he hated having to be polite so early in the morning. He wasn’t awake until he had eaten breakfast, something the other teachers had learnt the hard way.

 

End Part 16