Title: Dark Memory

Author:Caliadragon

Fandom: Xena/Herc

Pairing: Xena/Gabriel/ Cupid/Strife Ares/Joxer Hercules/Iolaus

Rating: As of now R later NC-17

Status:New

Archive:If you want to sure

Email for feedback: caliadragon@yahoo.com

Series/Sequel: Not a clue

Notes: Unforunatly I only own the characters I create. The boys and girls at Renisance own Joxer and co. The lucky dogs!

This is A/U and not exactly cannon. It also shows Joxer as more than a bumbler.

Feedback: Please I'm new to this and could use the knowledge that I don't completly suck.

Summary: Joxer finds more than he bargained for after he meeets Alisha.

Warnings: Implied Slash. Violence and strong language. Inferred non-consensual sex and child abuse. Character death, this is extremely A/U. Please be warned. Torcher and Angst

 

 

 

Dark Memory
by Caliadragon


The sun shown down brightly through the cracks in the boards above her head. Alisha shivered even though it was warm. She had no idea where she was or even where they where headed. She desperatly wanted to go home. She knew though this was a foolish wish. Her own uncle had sold her to the Warlord Freshias. The soldiers had been boasting about how great a reward they would recieve for bringing back a virgin to their master. If only she had been able to make it to Cupid or Ares' temples. The soldiers would not have dared to enter there. Her uncle had forseen where she would flee to though n blocked off her way to either temple. Now her only hope was that one of her gods would hear her prayers. "Oh great gods, Please help me?" she whispered. After awhile she cried herself to sleep.

She was jolted awake by a war cry. The sound of sword meeting sword was loud and she realized her cage was no longer moving .

"Kill them and take the girl!" She could hear the leader shouting.

She whimpered in fear for whoever it was they where attacking. Then to her suprise she could hear feminine laughter among the sounds of battle.

"Retreat! Retreat!" "What about the cargo? Forget it and RUN!"

She could hear the sound of retreating foot steps. Then the clang of metal.

"Joxer, Gabrielle are you alright?"

She could hear them answer in the affirmative. "Help! Please help me?!"

"Where's that coming from?"

"Joxer look in the box." A husky female voice ordered.

"Sure thing Xena."

There was another clang of metal and the lid of her cage lifted. She used the last of her strength to surge upward. She fell over the side in her haste to escape. She shivered and looked towards the three people standing around her.

The first one was the most beautiful woman she had ever seen. Tall and imposing. She had long black hair and the bluest eyes she had ever seen. She was obviously the leader of the three.

Alisha then turned to look at the small blond girl. She was frowning down at her with concern. She was leaning slightly on a staff.

The man caught her attention by kneeling down beside her. Her breath caught at his smile. It was sweet and tender at the same time.

"Thank you." She said fervently.

His smiled turned shy. "Your welcome, here let me help you up."

She noticed the look of suprise on the womens faces as he easily lifted her.

He gently held her in his arms. "What's your name?"

She looked over at the blond, Gabrielle. "I'm Alisha, can you tell me where we are?"

"We're two days away from the village of Themona."

"Oh thank the gods! They didn't take me that far from home." She leaned her head against
Joxer's shoulder.

Gabrielle frowned at the girl in Joxer's arms.

"What happened, how did you end up in this box?" Xena asked suddenly.

"My Uncle Trebas sold me to those soldiers. They where taking me to their leader."

The three friends looked at her in astonishment.

"Your uncle sold you?" Gabrielle asked in horror.

"Yes. He said it was to punish my father for taking what was rightfully his."

Xena frowned, "What does he think your father took from him?"

"My uncle is the oldest, but my grandfather felt he was not sane enough to run the our village. He made my father the magastraite."

"Obviously your grandfather was right." Xena said dryly.

"We can't let her go back by herself." Gabrielle said softly. She was horrified by what had happened to the girl.

"How was he able to get away with this? Surly someone was watching him?" Joxer asked.

Alisha shook her head. "Our village is still recovering from the attack by Callisto. My father hs been distracted by that and the loss of my mother. One of Callisto's warriors killed her. There aren't enough men left to watch him. The few women left are rebuilding or caring for the children that survived. I was on my way to gather food when I was taken." She noticed the stricken look
on the faces of the three friends. Then she remembered. "Your the one who stopped her."

Tears welled up in Gabrielle's eyes and Xena rested her hand on the girls shoulder. Alisha remembered then the loss the girl had suffered. "I'm sorry for your loss." Alisha said quietly.

Gabrielle blinked back her tears and nodded. "I'm fine." she said shakily. She reached up and squeezed Xena's hand. "Maybe we should find a place to camp down for the night. Alisha is no
condition to travel any further."

The women looked at Joxer in suprise then at the girl in his arms. Xena nodded, "That's a good
idea Joxer. There's a pond ahead and a quiet place to make camp for the night." She whistled and her horse joined them. She turned and led the way.

Joxer, carring Alisha, and Gabrielle followed her. "You'll be able to rest soon." Joxer told her kindly.

She put her head back down on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

When she opened them again she was still in Joxer's arms, however it was dark. "How long have I been sleep?" She asked shyly.

"Not to long."

She looked around her in confussion. She could see no signs of Gabrielle or Xena. When she looked at him in question he smiled. "They wanted some time alone. They're camped a little further down stream. Are you hungry?"

She nodded and let him set her beside him. He handed her a loaf of bread and a apple. "There's fish when you've finished that." He said kindly.

Before she could respond there was a flash of gold sparks and Cupid appeared infront of them. "Cupid!" They both gasped in suprise.

"Hey you two!" He smiled down at the pair then settled himself down in front of them. "This is so cool! My plan worked out."

"Your plan?" Joxer asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, I knew those morons wouldn't be able to resist the lusious Gabrielle. Then of course Xena would br forced to kick their asses. Alisha would be rescued and here you are!" He grinned at them.

Alisha smiled. "Thank you My Lord." Alisha said shyly.

"Well I couldn't let those idiots have you now could I?" Cupid looked over at Joxer and winked. He was about to say something else when blue sparks shimmered in the air and Strife
appeared.

He grabbed Cupid and kissed him. "Hey babe." He said when he let the older god go. Cupid grinned and sighed. Strife turned to look at Joxer and Alisha. "Hey you two! Did we interupt
somethin'?"

"NO!" Alisha exclaimed making both Joxer and Strife look at her in suprise. "What's wrong with him? He's good lookin' and he'd treat ya good in the sack. Ya ain't pullin a blondie are ya?"
Strife asked angrily.

Alisha gulped and looked at Cupid for help. "Relax babe, she's one of my sworn virgins. She's afraid I'd think she broke her vow. She likes Joxer." Cupid said patting him on the arm.

Strife looked back at Alisha and ginned wickedly. "Cool I like virgins."

Alisha blushed at his teasing.

Joxer laughed softly and put his arm around her.

"Let's hope Unc' doesn't decide to claim her too. He love's a cherry."

They looked at one another in confusion.

"Yeah with her traveling with Joxer he's bound to notice her. Ecspecially since he has a thing for him."

Alisha and Joxer looked at one another again in confusion. "Sometimes my life is just
to strange for words."

Alisha nodded at Joxer in agreement.

Both of the gods laughed in amusement. They loved these two mortals they where so much fun. They were a great source of power to nearly all the gods. Mostly the houses of Love and War. Between their loving natures and the havoc they seemed to cause on a regular basis things where always livly when they where around. For the other gods they worshiped and placed gifts on their alters when they had reason to visit. There where exceptions of course.

Joxer sighed and thought about Ares. "Ares would be better than Apollo or the Furies." He didn't realize he had spoken a loud until Alisha nodded in agreement.

Strife and Cupid looked at one another in suprise.

"I've always wanted to meet Hephestus." Joxer said.

"Me too, he's a great god. He thinks up wonderful things." Alisha said smiling. The God of the Fire and Forge was one of her fathers personal favorites. He was a devotee and always made sure there was something special for his god.

"You would want Dad and Heph over Apollo?" Cupid asked as Strife roared with laughter.

They both nodded.

Both gods nearly fell over they began to laugh so hard.

"Why?" Strife asked with a giggle.

"Apollo's to in love with himself and he's kinda mean." Alisha answered. "With Ares you always know what your getting and Hephestus doesn't play games with mortals the way the Apollo and the Furies do." Joxer added.

"Ya better not let Xena hear ya sayin' anythin nice about Unc."

"Yeah ever since she went on her redemption kick she's been down on Dad."

Cupid sighed and shook his head. As they had been talking Joxer had been rubbing Alisha's back. She sighed and closed her eyes, leaning further into Joxer. Being confined in the cage had made her back stiff and sore. She fell asleep cradled against Joxer.

Cupid smiled tenderly at the sleeping girl. "Poor thing, this has been a rough couple of days for her." Suddenly Cupid laughed and looked over at Strife. "Strife honey, how would you like to help me punish her uncle? I'll make him impotent for a couple of months and you can give him a good dose of trouble."

Strife grabbed Cupid and kissed him passionatly. Joxer blushed and waited for them to finish. Strife pulled away from a moaning Cupid and giggled insainly.

"Oh Cup, you are so good to me." He turned to Joxer. "Tell Xena and the Gabster we'll handle ole' Uncle Numbnuts. I have it on good authority that the Amazons are lookin' for 'em. You take her home."

Joxer nodded, wondering what was wrong with the amazons that they needed Xena and Gabby.

"Come on Love God we can teach the fuck a leason later, now we're gonna see how good ya can be ta me." Cupid laughed as they flashed out.

Joxer shook his head in bemusement and turned to shift Alisha so that they could sleep comfortable.

 

Chapter 2

They traveled only a few miles when Cupid and Strife appeared again. Hercules and Iolous sighed. Joxer and Alisha smiled.

"Hey! If it isn't my favorite twosomes." Cupid said with a grin. Then he frowned when he saw that Alisha was wounded and Joxer was bruised. "What happened to you two?" He asked as he healed their wounds.

Strife was frowning. "Tell us who it was and we'll take care of them."

Hercules raised an eyebrow in suprise. Usually Strife was causing trouble for humans not offering to solve it. Being married to Cupid seemed to have mellowed him some.

"They didn't stick around to introduce themselves." Iolous said in amusement.

Strife grinned at him. Reminding Hercules that the God of Mischeif considered Iolous to be one of his worshipers. Not suprising considering the fact that Iolous was an expert at practical jokes and causing mischeif. Strife had once told Hercules and Xena that when Joxer and Iolous spent time together the havoc they created feed him with power for weeks afterwards.

"Did you know them Joxer?" Cupid asked.

"Yes they were Freshias men."

The four men frowned at duo.

"They won't give up. Freshias will kill them if they don't come back with either his money or you. Now they want Joxer as well." Iolous answered.

Cupid nodded then asked, "What are you two doing this way?"

Joxer frowned in cofusion. "You didn't interfer and send them our way."

The two gods shook their heads.

"How did you manage to be on this road?" Alisha asked.

"Actually we had to take a detour. The road we were on had a landslide and passing was
impossible. We came this way at the last minute. We were on our way to your village anyway. We had heard there was a war brewing and wanted to see could do to stop it. We knew Ares had no reason to do anything in this area. There's not much left because of Calisto."

Cupid looked at Strife in confusion. "There's no war brewing in this area. We just left the village from dealing with Old Uncle Trebas. Everything was at peace."

"Yeh, except fer gettin to play the with the idgit the place was a real bore. Things'll be back to fun once the cutie here is back home."

The men all laughed when she flushed scarlett.

"Your so cute. It's to bad you were sworn to be a priestess. You and Joxer'd make a great pair."

Iolous grinned, If Cupid thought they'd make a good couple that meant Alisha was as much
a terror as Joxer. Joxer had been know to reek havoc just by cooking a meal.

"If there's no war and the the two of you didn't send Hercules and Iolous to help us who did?" Alisha asked.

They all considered the question.

"Well hello, Do you two think these two are the only gods?" They all looked over as pink sparks colored the air. Aphrodite grinned at the group. Iolous whistled appreciatvely and
winked at her. Joxer and the other three grinned at her. "I happen to like Joxer to you know and Alisha is under Love's protection."

The buxom blond glided forward and smiled at the two in question. "I so totally do not want you at the hands of Freshias he's like major grody. I couldn't let those jerks hurt my Joxie."

Joxer blushed and laughed sheepishly at Iolous's raised eyebrow.

"Joxer great, he's so good at spreading the love." Cupid said with a wicked grin. Laughing when Joxer's blush deepened.

Alisha covered her mouth trying to stifle a laugh. He looked down at her and grinned at the
laughter shinning in her eyes.

Aphrodite loved it. "Well how did things go with the old goat?" Aphrodite asked.

The two younger gods laughed wickedly. Their smiles said it all for them. "The old codger is as we speak begging forgivness of his brother for sellin out his family. Your dad will probably be sending out a search party any minute. They'll meet ya as yer gettin' home." Strife said laughter in his voice.

"Your dad's been really upset. He went really wild when he couldn't find you. He was terrified that you where dead. He even called on dad to keep you safe. As if we need help." Cupid said with a grin and an eye roll.

Tears welled up in Alisha's eyes. "Poor father he's already lost so much. I can't imagine what he's gone through these last few days." Her voice was sad and full of pain.

Joxer put his arm around her shoulder. "What about what you've been through?" He asked.

"It doesn't matter. Only father matters." She said softly.

The love gods smiled at her gently. She was pure and sweet. A truly devoted follower of love.

Chapter 3a

Joxer squeezed Alisha's shoulder. "Don't worry you'll be with your father soon." She smiled up at him and blinked away her tears. "I guess we should be going on if we're to meet up with your father tommorow." Joxer said quietly.

"I don't think you need us anymore. So we will be going onto help the Amazon's. A messenger
came through the last village and told us that they where under attack by a slaver."

Joxer shook his head in disbelief. "Who would be crazy enough to incur the wrath of both Ares and Athena?" Alisha asked.

"Freshias." Iolous said with a laugh.

They all shook their heads in amazement.

"Dads gonna blow a gasket and Aunt Athena will probably have Discord play with him for awhile."

They all shuddered at that idea.

"Oh boy." Iolous said he liked Discord, but when it came to her job she was scary.

Hercules placed his hand on Iolous' shoulder. "We had better go before the idiot does something to incure another god's wrath."

Joxer nodded and smiled at them.

"Tell Xena and Gabby hey for me." Dite said with a smile. She then kissed Joxer breathless and flashed out leaving laughter and rose petals behind.

"Mom always likes to leave an impression." Cupid said with a laugh.

Joxer and the others laughed. He always felt better after a visit with his godly friends. Unlike many he had very few issues with the gods. The only ones he really feared and loathed were the
Furies and Apollo.

"We'll see you around Joxer." Hercules said. "It was nice to meet you Alisha."

Iolous smiled at both of them. Then with a pat on Joxers ass he and Hercules turned to go.

The small group watched them as they walked away.

"Their such a hot couple." Cupid said with a sigh.

Strife rolled his eyes. Unlike Cupid he had run ins with the two heros. They usually ended up with his ass being kicked or fucked depending on their mood. Usually it was fucking.

Iolous was hump happy. He was always good for a long ride too.

Strife sighed in fond rememberance. Now that he and Iolous where bonded mates of other gods that was a thing of the past. Unless the other two where involved and that very rarely happened anymore.

He started in suprise when Cupid reached over and squeezed his ass. "Later." He said with a wicked grin.

Strife giggled and kissed him.

Joxer and Alisha looked at one another and quickly looked away. The urge to laugh was almost uncontrolable. They had both seen the Gods reactions to the retreating couple. The kiss had just
confirmed it. When Strife finally released Cupid he turned to them.

"We'll see ya later. Don't do anything I would." He then giggled and flashed both he and Cupid away.

Alisha and Joxer laughed as one. With a grin Joxer looked down at her. "I'm feeling up to going
a little further are you?"

She nodded. She felt energized now that Cupid had healed her. As one they turned and set down the road.

To Joxers pleasure she asked him to sing for her. He couldn't believe that anyone wanted to hear him sing. So he sang her his song. Then he sang others that he had picked up along his travels.

They finally decided to stop when the light began to fade away. Joxer found them a nice quiet place to camp with water near by. Alisha fidgeted slightly and looked over to Joxer.

"I need to take a bath." She said quietly.

Joxer said nothing he just reached into his bag and removed his soap from his bag. "I'll just be over here cooking dinner."

She looked at him shyly then turned back to the water and began to undress.

He nearly fell as he walked away. Bringing an affectionate chuckle from the man watching them on his mirror.

The flash nearby made Ares turn away from his mirror.

Dite walked over and sat on his lap with a grin.

"Thanks for covering for me sis."

She shrugged the thanks away. "No problem bro, though why you want to keep it a secret that your them is beyond me."

Ares sighed and ran a hand through her hair gently. "I don't want Hercules or Xena to know how close an eye I keep on Joxer. They would think they had to protect him from me."

Dite swung her legs up over the arm of the throne and lay her head on his chest. "Thats not
fair. They have no right to interfer he's yours. He was sworn to you at birth and he is one of your pure followers."

Ares snorted. "When has that ever stopped those two?" he asked bitterly. "If I want it or need it they automaticly assume I'm doing something evil and have to stop it. Besides Joxer isn't ready for
the next step yet."

They both laugh suddenly.

Joxer had caught sight of Alisha coming out of the water flushed a deep red and nearly falling into the fire. He was stairing really hard at the flames so that Alisha could dress in private.

"Their so cute. They would have made a cute couple."

Ares nodded and grinned. "They are a lot of fun." Then he laughed that delightfully wicked laugh that shivered her spine. "Speaking of fun, our son really did me proud yesterday. I knew there was more to him than that love stuff. The way he and Strife had that bastard begging for mercy was truly touching."

Dite giggled at the memory. "I'll admit it he had it coming. He should have known better than to mess with one of Cupie's virgins." Dite sighed and rubbed her check against Ares chest. "She's suppose to be initiated in a few days. With Joxer out of the picture and her intended dead at Callistos hands we have find her a husband soon."

"Why not Castor? Joxer likes him and the village could use a warrior of his caleber."

Dite blinked at looked up at him in suprise. Castor was one of the few warriors that Ares trusted around Joxer. Mainly beacuse he had set it up that way. Joxer did not always travel with Xena and the Bard or with his other friends. Ares always had Castor on the alert to meet up with Joxer when he broke off from his friends. Ares could still remember the day Joxer and Castor had meet.


*FLASH BACK*

Joxer had meet Castor the year before. He had just parted company with Xena and Gabrielle. He had been traveling to see his brothers. They had decided to meet in one of the smaller villages to avoid trouble. The trouble being Joxers being unaware of is own appeal. The last time they were in Thebes they nearly had to kill an entire group of warriors. They had decided that they wanted to keep Joxer for themselves. He had never even realized the danger he was in. Xena and Jett had had to kill a couple of the men to get the point across that they could not have him. Gabrielle had distracted Joxer by giving him tarturus for getting the wrong supplies then dragging him away from the impending fight. When they had finally meet up again at the inn Gabrielle had sent him to the bar to get them a drink and had told them that they had nearly been accosted on the way back to the inn. They were beginning to worry. Joxer was oblivious to his affect on others and it was getting worse as he aged. Xena had suggested it might be better for them to meet up in smaller villages. The others had agreed.

They had been waiting for Joxer in Humilaoma when Castor arrived. Like the two brothers he was in the tavern enjoying an ale when the wanna be warrior came through the door. He was followed by some of the local youths. Jett couldn't believe it! That boy couldn't go anywhere by himself.

Jace cursed and stood along with Jett. Castor had turned to see the young man come through the door.

He was about to make a move of his own when he saw the two brothers stand. They did not look pleased. Joxer smiled in pleasure at the sight of his brothers.

He was on his way to them when he was grabbed from behind. He let out a yelp of suprise. "What?" He asked in confusion.

The man holding him sniggered. He was about to carry him out when Jett spoke.

"Release my brother and I wont kill you." Jett snarled with quiet menace. The men laughed in derision. Jace snarled. "You heard him release my brother." The men laughed again. They where out numbered even with Jett's numerous skill.

Ares, who had been watching Joxer, appeared so that Castor could see him. Castor gapped in astonishment. "Castor help them protect Joxer. Do not let them take him." Then he disappeared.

Castor stood and went to the brothers side. "Lord Jett; King of the Assasins, I am Castor I would be honored to help you dispatch these idiots. As a fellow follower of Ares." When Castor said Jett's name and title the man holding Joxer gently set him on his feet then they all spun on their heels and ran.

Joxer walked over to his brothers and Castor and looked at them in confusion. "What was that all about?" he asked them shakily. That was the fourth time this week he had been attacked. "Do you think I did something to them by accident?"

Castor looked at him sharply. He was startled to realize the boy had no idea why the men had gone after him. His brothers sighed.

Then Jace smiled at him gently. "Yes I think that was it."

"Should I go apologize?"

"NO!"

He jerked in suprise as the three shouted at him. Jett put is arm around Joxers shoulder. "Its over now and we want to know what you've been up to."

Joxer smiled with pleasure.

Castor had to take a deep breath. The boy was beautiful.

*He's mine, don''t even think it!*

Castor gulped as Ares spoke in his head.

"Things have been real good. I only got kidnapped twice last week and Xena found me almost immediatly. Gabrielle was really angry about the last time though. She said I needed to watched every minute."

Jett rolled his eyes. Talk about an understatment.

"What did these people want with you?" Castor asked, though he had a feeling he knew.

They were now seated back at the brother's table.

"They really didn't want me I was just a distraction. Trabor really didn't want me for his consort. Gabrielle said she would kill him first and you know she never kills."

The three men blanched. Trabor had a habit of murdering his consorts after he had broken them mind and body. Jett began to shake with fear for his brother. He took a deep breath. "Where is Trabor now?" His voice was calm and held only mild curiosity.

Only Joxer was fooled. The other two knew that he was going to hunt the warlord down and kill him. He would have to to protect Joxer.

"Oh he's dead. Xena killed him in battle. Gabrielle told me that he wouldn't give up any chance to claim his newest treasure."

"She told you?" Jace asked quietly.

"Yes, Xena sent me to scout ahead for a place to hide the villagers just in case Trabor got past her."

"Did Gabrielle tell you what this treasure was?" Castor asked.

"She just told me that it was a gift beyond price and that it should only ever be givin freely, never taken."

Jett smiled slightly. He knew it was hard for Gabrielle to pretend disdain for Joxer, but she was the only one besides Xena that he really listened to. She had to be the one who was tough with him and who kept him under careful watch. He was to innocent and to unaware to be completly
independent. They sat for awhile visiting with one another and learning about Castor. He was a roving warrior. He traveled from place to place handing or hiring out his fighting skills.

When Joxer excussed himself to go get a room for the night Ares appeared to him. The three men nodded to him in respect.

"Ares, How may we serve you?" Jett asked smoothly.

"I want Castor to travel with Joxer when he is traveling alone. I will contact you when it is time to meet up and time to leave him. He needs protection when he is not with one of his friends or with the two of you."

They nodded in quick agreement.

"Joxer is not to know about this, understood?"

Again they nodded in agreement. Ares disapeared again. From that moment on Joxer traveled with Castor. Ares made possible that he never be alone.


Dite looked at her brother and nodded. "Very well, but you have to get Castor to the village."

Ares let out a snort. "He's already on his way." He sighed then. "I want Castor settled, but now I have to find a new travel companion for Joxer."

Dite nodded then kissed Ares and flashed from the temple to Cupid. Ares turned back to his mirror.


Joxer looked up cautiously when Alisha came to the fire. He let out a slow breath when he realized she was fully dressed.

"I feel more myself now. Even if my cloths are still dirty."

Joxer smiled at her. "Are you hungry?"

She nodded, "I'm famished. Even though these have been a rough couple of days I'm glad of them because I got to meet you."

Joxer blushed in pleasure. He was glad of a new friend. They finished their meal in companionable silence.

Afterwards they cleaned up, then lay side by side and fell asleep. Ares smiles and whispered through Joxer's mind, *Good night Love.* Then he pulled a barrier around them to protect them through the night.

Chapter 4

Joxer opened his eye slowly and looked down at the young woman beside him. Smiling slightly he eased away. Rising he slowly stood and began to walk towards the stream. He needed to wash up and gather water to prepare their breakfast. He had only walked a few feet when he suddenly hit an invisable barrier. He stumbled back in shock and fell. He looked around in astonishment. He stood again and held his hands out infront of him. He felt the barrier and gulped.

"Joxer?"

He turned to face Alisha.

When she saw his expression fear tightened inside her. She quickly stood and went to him. "Whats wrong? Is it Freshias men?"

He could hear the fear in her voice and shook his head. "There's a barrier. I can't go any further."

Her eyes widened and she went to stand beside him. "Should we call Cupid or Strife?"

Joxer felt the wall again and shook his head. It was Ares. *Lord Ares, If I have done
something to displease you will you come and tell me what it was. Or release the barrier. Thank you.*


Ares scowled and looked up from his meal as the prayer came to him. Strife looked over at Cupid when Ares surged to his feet swearing and flashed out.

"Let's follow 'im." Cupid grinned in response and pulled Strife into his arms as they flashed out. When they reappeared they where standing in front Joxer and Alisha.

Ares scowled over at the grinning pair. "Joxer you have done nothing wrong. I was distracted and forgot to remove the barrier."

"Oh!" Joxer and Alisha both sighed in relief.

Cupid felt Strife's shoulders shaking and had to resist the urge to laugh. *Thanks for the heads up Dad.*

Ares glared at him in response. *Tell her about the marriage. Joxer is beginning to look suspicious. He's not ready for my plans yet.*

Cupid barely contained a snort. *His Plans!*


Strife's laughter echoed in his head making him grin.

Cupid looked back at the mortals who were wondering what was going on.

Joxer had a feeling there was more to this than they were letting on. He was not however as stupid as many thought him and had no intention of questioning his gods.

"We didn't want the asshole's soldiers sneaking up on you as you slept so I had Dad put up a sheild around you."

Alisha relaxed slightly, but Joxer frowned and wondered why Cupid or Strife couldn't do it themself.

Cupid quickly changed the subject as he read the question in Joxer's mind. "Alisha we have
found your mate. You will be married tomorrow and initiated the day after. I know it's sudden, but we need to do this as soon as possible. Arrangements have already been made and your intended will be meeting you in the village today at your return."

Alisha blinked in suprise and bite her lip. Unconsiously gripping Joxer's hand for support. She knew that she would need to marry, but she had never expected this.

Cupid smiled at her gently. "You trust me don't you?"

She nodded. "Its just- I can barely cook and I forget a lot. What if I'm not a good enough wife or priestess. What if I fail you? What if he laughs?"

Cupid laughed softly and pulled her into a hug. "He won't laugh. You'll be a great wife and one of my best priestesses. You never forget when its important and your a good cook. You just need more confidence in yourself. You'll love him. Not because of a spell either. He's a good man and an excellent warrior. Plus he and Joxer are good friends. He can tell you all he knows about Castor as you travel." He gently set her away from him.

Alisha looked at Joxer and he smiled. "You'll love Castor I do. He's the greatest." Ares scowl darkened at that. "Castor is like one of my brothers. I travel with him a great deal. He is one of the few warriors who put up with my falling all the time. Because of him and Xena I've learned a lot about being a warrior. More than I ever learned from my father."

Ares grunted at his words, but felt better none the less. He would have hated to kill Castor for
touching his Joxer.

Joxer however took it that Ares disagreed with how much he had learned. He flushed a bit and thought of all the times he had failed and fallen. He had no idea how proud Ares was of him. Joxer was his, even if he didn't know it yet.

Ares sighed as he gazed at Joxer and remembered all that had lead up to his obssesion and love for this fragile mortal. How different he was from his brothers. They already knew what their place in the plan.


*Flashback*

Ares watched as the pathetic excuss for a human trembled in front of his alter. The small woman standing behind him clenching and unclenching her hands as her three small babies were placed on the alter. Janus puffed his chest out importantly. "Lord Ares I hereby dedicate my three sons to you on this day so they may someday be of service to you."

Ares sighed. This was just great. Only one of the boys should have been dedicated to him. One was meant for Aphrodite and the last for Hephestus. He shook his head in disgust. They where going to be furious.

Suddenly he was pulled from his temple and into the main meeting hall on Olympus. He looked around him in rage. Suprisingly he saw he was not the only angry god present. Both the House of Love and the House of War had all of its members present. Not to mention Heph and Hermes. Zeus and Hera were standing side by side with murderous looks on their faces.

"Who dares bring us here this way?" Hera snapped.

"We bring you." They all gasped as the Fates and Destiny appeared before them. The Fates never left their temple. This was not good.

"On the contrary Ares this is a day of celebration. Dedicated to War but meant for more. Three mortal children will be born. One is Mortal Death and to Discord he will be joined. Together Justice will be born. One is Mortal Dance and to Deceit he will be joined. Together joined Revealry will be born. Last but never least Mortal Peace and War will join. Together Balance and Purity will be born. From this moment soul to soul Eris and Jett, Hermes and Jace, Ares and Joxer are bound by fate both heart and soul."

Silence followed their words only to be broken by Eris' scream of rage. Zeus had fallen back in his throne stairing at the Four in stunned silence.

Hephestus looked at them with rage. It would be a long while before Ares knew why he was so angry. Hera had not been pleased. She dismissed the assembled gods and spoke further about the prophecy. She was stunned to learn who their father truly was. Heartened as well. Only she and Zeus where privy to this knowledge from the Fates.

When they met next it was with the news that Destiny had placed boundaries on the three chosen gods. She had decreed that the godly spouses could not interfer in the lives of their chosen until
they reached the age of seventeeen. At first they had not thought this would be a problem. Then as the three began to grow older and their mother weaker, Janus began to abuse the boys. Ares suffered with the knowledge that as the weakest Joxer was more often the target of Janus' rages because he could not get away as easily as his brothers. Nor did he do the chores that kept them from the man's sight.

To their suprise it was Joxer who convinced his brothers to leave home. Even knowing that he alone would bear the brunt of Janus' attacks. He convinced Jett to leave first. On the night after their fourteenth birthday. The next year it was Jace. For a year he suffered through beatings and rages. His mother was dying and could not do the things Janus felt where her duty as his wife. This made him even more short of temper than before.

Finally two nights after his sixteenth birthday his mother died. She wept not for herself, but for her son. She begged for his forgivness for not protecting him.

Her pleas broke his gentle heart and he held her telling her how much he loved her. How he never blamed her for anything and how much he would miss her. After she died he held her and wept. His prayers touched every god who watched them that night. *Hades Great Judge of the Dead. Please hear my plea? Take my mother into your gentle embrace and give her peace. She was a rarity among us all. She loved me. Please Great God grant my mother love and peace through out eternity?" Then he wept bitter tears for the loss of one of the few good things in his life.

The next day as they buried her he was unaware of Janus' hungry stare. Nor the pitying looks from the villagers. They all feared for the boy, but they feared Janus and his temper more.

That night Joxer was asleep in his bed when Janus returned from the tavern drunk and full of rage. He pulled Joxer from his bed by his feet and began to drag him down the stairs. After the first cry of pain and fear he made no sound. Then as Janus dragged him down the stairs his head hit sharply and he lost conciousness.

Ares' roar of pain and rage echoed through the House of War bringing Strife and Eris to him immeditly. What they saw on his scrying mirror stunned and sickened them. Even Eris who reveled in blood shed and pain felt tears well up in her eyes over the abomination she was seeing. Strife sobbed and turned away. They heard Janus grunt then turned and watched as he pulled away from the still unconsious boy. He buttoned up and stumbled from the cottage singing to himself in his perverted contentment.

"Strife, go to Joxer wake him gently then influence him to leave tonight. Get him to the closest temple and get him aide. For the first time in my life I pray to my Hestia that he never knows what happened in that place."

They agreed with Ares and added their prayers to his. Hestia was suprised by the prayers coming to her. She looked in on Joxer and witnessed what had happened to him. After she was through
being ill she granted their prayer and wept for the innocent boy.

When Joxer woke he looked around him in confusion and pain. He then remembered being drug down the stairs. Janus must have beaten him while he was senseless. He moaned in pain and straightened away from the floor. He looked for his cloths and found what remained burning in the hearth. He sighed and forced himself to stand despite the pain it caused him.

Strife whispered in his mind. *You want to leave tonight. Mother's gone. He will kill you eventually. You can go to the nearest temple for shelter then seek out your brothers when your well to tell them she is gone.*

Joxer heeded the voice in his head and after dressing he gathered what few things he wanted and
left.

The closest temple was dedicated to Cupid. Strife was releaved. Cupid's temple was the only one besides Apollo and Ace's that had the best healers. The moment they reached the inner sanctum
the priestess on duty began to shout for a healer. She lowered Joxer to the nearest bed and prayed to Cupid for guidance and for mercy for the child before her.

Cupid heard the prayer and immediatly flashed to his temple to see what had so upset Anistara. When he saw the boy and Strife he lashed out. "What did you do to that boy?" He snarled.

Strife swore and grappled with the angry god. They struggled for only a few moments before Strife pinned him. While Cupid was bigger he had not spent his entire life being trained by Ares. He was no match for his smaller cousin. "Calm down! Do you want to upset the mortals any more than they already are?"

Cupid froze looking at Strife in suprise. He had never seen his cousin so forceful.

"Look at the boy again." He snapped.

Cupid did as he was told. He gasped in shock. "Joxer!"

Strife nodded. "Yeah. Now I maybe crazy, but I ain't stupid or suicidal. Janus did this. Unc
told me ta get him outta the house and to the nearest temple. Thats you."

Cupid pushed out again with his power sensing the full extent of what had been done to his father's mate.

He roared in rage. Strife gulped in suprise. "Did he do what I think he did?" He asked tightly. To his suprised sorrow, tears came to Strife's eyes.

He nodded. "Unc don't want him ta know though. So could ya tell them not ta say nothin?" Strife asked and gestured to the mortals.

Cupid nodded and sent the silent command to his followers. Then he turned back to Strife. "Get off me. I'm going to kill the bastard!"

Strife blinked and did as he was told.

Cupid shot to his feet and flashed out. In that moment Destiny smiled. Another prediction was coming to be. Mischeif had meet Love, who was Vengance as well. They had meet their fate as well.

Strife wanted to go with Cupid, but he had orders to stay with Joxer. So instead he pulled up a scrying mirror and watched his cousin punish Janus. His laughter was a touch crazed and definatly impressed. In that one moment Strife saw a side of Cupid that was very rarely called on. He saw the war side of him and he began to fall in love. He smiled in pleaure as Cupid killed the vile mortal. Hades too smiled. He had been waiting for Janus. Joxer would not know for many years about the lives he changed that night.

Not until in a fit of rage Apollo and the Furies stole him from the road and torchered him. Not until in that rage Apollo told him what he had done. From the night of Janus' punshment Strife and
Cupid began to seek each other out. Ignoring their lovers of the time. The Furies and Apollo did not appricate being set aside by their lovers for one they felt unworthy of them.

Finally in a fit of desperation the two lovers turned to Hercules and Iolous to help them fool the four gods. They pretended that Cupid had fallen under the spell of one of his arrows and fallen for Strife who was disguised as a mortal woman. Hera married them knowing the truth. They knew it
was to much to expect the charade to last long. The truth came out quickly when Strife gave birth to their first child Bliss. Apollo and the Furies were in a rage at being decieved so. They had been
planning to punish Hercules and Iolous for their part in the duplicity. In truth they were the only ones they could punish.

Unfortunatly Joxer had met up with them earlier in the day. They decided he was the one who deserved the punishment. Forgeting in their haste for vengance just who he belonged to. Ares never got the chance to free his mate. Because to the suprise of the entire pantheon Joxer's real father beat him to it. Heph and Dite attacked the four wayward gods and rescued his son. Feeling their fathers rage Jett and Jace had sought out their godly mates. They had long before been told of the prophecy and their mates true identities.

Only Joxer did not know. So it was his brothers who he woke to. Hercules and Iolous where there as well. They were used as the excuss as to how he was freed from the four gods.

Hercules and Iolous had been stunned and saddened by what had happened to their friend. They where told that Strife and Cupid had saved him and that he wasn't to be told for fear he would hate them. They agreed to go along with the ruse.

*Dad! Dad! Stop scowling your lookin scary.*

Ares blinked and looked over to Joxer and Alisha they where eyeing him uneasily. "I have to
go punish Freshias. He is entirly to cocky." Then before they could respond he flashed away. Cupid and Strife sighed.

Joxer and Alisha just stared in bemused silence.

 

Chapter 5

Joxer stood staring at the spot where Ares had stood and wondered what had upset the dark god so much.

Strife giggled, "Unc's wound a little tight these days."

Cupid snorted and turned back to the two mortals. "You two best get going. Castor will be arriving
today, also. You need to start making plans for the wedding ceremony."

They both nodded and watched the two gods disappear. They took turns cleaning up, then grabed a qiuck breakfast before packing up and heading out.

Later as they were walking, Alisha asked the question that had been nagging her. "Joxer?"

"Yes?"

"How did you know that the barrier was put up by Ares?"

He frowned slightly. "I'm not sure. I just always know if he's there. Xena has the ability also. I think it has to do with being dedicated to him."

Alisha nodded. "Do you really think Castor and I will get along?"

He smiled and took her hand. "I think you will get along very well. Castor is very patient and he doesn't mind clumsiness or forgetfulness. He's helped me out a lot. I don't fall every two steps anymore. He and my friends have gone a long way towards helping me become a warrior."

She smiled. "Why do you really wear that silly armor?"

He looked at her in suprise. "My father gave it to me, he said it was the closest to a real warrior I would ever come."

Alisha frowned. "That was unkind of him. Did you get along with your father?"

Joxer frowned and shivered slightly. "No."

"Then why don't you get rid of the armor. Your a warrior with or without it."

He blinked, then looked at her shyly. "Do you really think so?"

"Yes, you helped save me and you fought all those soldiers by yourself."

He blushed at the pride in her voice.

"My father would take it in trade for gauntlets and I'm sure the tailor would give you cloths as well."

"Are you sure?" He asked hesitantly. She nodded. "Okay no more armor after we reach your village."


Ares flashed into his temple and dropped onto his throne. Throwing a leg over the arm, he called up his scrying mirror and called out Joxer's name. The mirror showed the scene as Cupid and
Strife flashed out. He grunted in acknowledgment when they appeared in the hall. Cupid called up a couch and pulled Strife down on it as they watched the two prepare to head out. Ares snarled when he heard what Joxer's father had said to him. Strife mentally sent out a swarm of bees to attack the man. He giggled as Janus' shrieks echoed in his mind from Tartarus. Cupid kissed him as he realized what he had done. Ares scowl disappeared.

"Congradulations Strife, you have a new play thing."

Strife smiled evilly and began to think of all the things he could do to the bastard. He needed to talk to Uncle Hades.

They all grinned when Joxer announced he would get rid of his armor. "No more clanking or falling over." Strife said.

Ares sighed. "Contact Jett and Jace. Tell them to meet up with Joxer after he leaves the village. He's going to be an even bigger temptation without all that ridiculous kitchen ware covering him."

Cupid and Strife groaned in unison. Then both gods sent out a mental call to the brothers. Strife snorted at Jett's reaction to the news. Jace's was a scream. All three gods laughed themselves silly at their reaction.

Joxer was telling Alisha about the time he meet Cleopatra when her father and the men from the village meet up with them. They had been traveling for about three hours, with Joxer entertaining her with stories about his times with Castor. When Alisha saw her father she cried out and ran to him.

Her father lifted her into his arms and clung to her. "Alisha my child, I feared ever seeing you again." Her father chocked, holding her tightly.

After a few moments he noticed Joxer. He placed her on her feet and watched as she took Joxer's hand and drew him forward. "Daddy, I'd like you to meet Joxer. He helped save me from Freshias' men."

Amiras grasped Joxer's free hand and shook it vigorously. "Thank you for saving my little girl."

Joxer smiled, "I had a great deal of help." He replied modestly.

Alisha then began to recount what had happened to her since she had been forced from the village.

Her father just stared at them for several moments. Andrus, her fathers best friend, shook his head. "Little girl your life is never boring." His voice brought laughter from the group.

"So your getting married?" Pantheous asked quietly. He had always hoped she would marry his son. Unfortunatly his son had been murdered by Callisto.

She nodded. "Both Cupid and Joxer say he is a good man and a warrior."

"As long as he takes care of you." He answered.

She kissed his cheek gently. "We should be going. Castor will be reaching the village soon." Joxer interjected gently. They all agreed.


Castor looked around the village, examining his new home. Ares and Cupid had picked him out a wife. He was still suprised to say the least. He had assumed he would travel for awhile longer before finding someone to marry. The village was obviously in the early stages of rebuilding. He knew that the crazed bitch Callisto had rampaged through the village before Xena and Gabrielle had stopped her.

As he walked he noticed an older man in a set of chains working on one of the houses. He looked as though he had been through Tartarus. His face was beat red and swollen. It was obvious he had a rash. His nose was black and blue, and looked broken. Every inch of exposed skin showed bite marks, bruises or insect bites. He smirked as he realized that this was the Uncle Strife had told him about. From the way he was working so carefully, he seemed to think Strife might return.

Castor was going to go over to the man when he heard his name called. When he turned he smiled in pleasure. Joxer was waving at him. He crossed to his friend, clasping his hand in
greeting. "It's good to see you my friend." He said as they parted.

Joxer's smile widened. "You, too. Alisha come meet Castor."

Castors breath caught at the sight of her. She was beautiful. Small and delicate with jet black hair and pale skin. Her eyes were a deep green. She looked startled as well. Joxer hid a smile.

Cupid flashed himself into the village just a few feet from the pair. He grinned, the two were gazing at each other in awe. He notched a true love arrow and let it fly. It struck them both then
reappeared in his quiver. Now if he could only get his father to tell Joxer the truth about his destiny.

 

Part 6

Joxer was pleased. The first meeting between Castor and Alisha had gone very well. They were planning the wedding now. Alisha's father had found both Castor and himself a place to sleep and store their belongings. To his surprise both Amires and Andrus had agreed to the exchange proposed by Alisha. Amires had also offered to exchange a new sword for the old one that his father had given him. After a moments hesitation he agreed. Now he was sitting in his room staring at his new clothes and weapons in shell shocked silence. He had a fine new sword, two daggers and delicately patterned gauntlets. His old clothes had been replaced by a blue shirt and leather breeches. Unlike his old clothes they actually fit him. Andrus had also added two more outfits. When he had protested that it was to much, both men had denied this. They had told him it wasn't enough. They had no more need for the weapons. Then Amires said that the metal from
the armor and the sword more than paid for the weapons and the clothes. Joxer suspected it had more to do with helping Alishsa then need of any metal. Andrus was even making him an outfit for the wedding.

Joxer shook his head in bemusement. He decided to go down to the bath house and wash off the road before dressing in his new clothes. Cupid had materialized a few minutes after they had arrived. He had brought food for celebration and the wedding clothes for the bride and groom. Amires had been relieved by the food now he need not worry. Joxer had sent a prayer of thanks to him. Then a prayer of thanks to his parents for having such a thoughtful son. Both Ares and Dite had been amused and pleased. Heph had been surprised.

Joxer sighed, gathered up his things and left for the bath house. As he walked he was watched by those in the village. Castor saw him as well. He was surprised by his friends easy grace. Now that he was no longer weighed down by his ridiculous armor he had not tripped once. Yet Castor could see another problem as well. He could see the affect Joxer was having on the single members of the village. It had always amazed Castor that Joxer never realized his appeal. He drew people to him no matter what he did. It was one of the main reasons Ares had had Castor travel with Joxer. In the beginning he had traveled with him because his god bid it. But after a time he did it because he had come to love the younger man like a brother. He was also the only one who really knew that Joxer did not love Gabrielle. He had for awhile, but he realized that she and Xena were meant for one another. Joxer kept waiting for them to realize it. After his friend had disappeared form sight he turned back to the inn to seek his bride. A soft smile crossed his face. *His Bride.*

Unaware of the reactions of those around him, Joxer stripped off his clothes and grabbing his towel went further into the bath house. He found one of the private pools and lowered himself into the water. Sighing he closed his eyes and leaned back. His mind wandered back to his experiences with the gods. This last time had been mild compared to some of his encounters with them. He didn't like to remember his time at the mercy of Apollo and the Furies hands. He preferred to remember Ares. Because Hercules was his brother and liked to interrupt Ares plans and because Xena was his daughter he ended up seeing him quite a lot. Then there was Strife, Dite and Cupid. They were around a lot. Joxer really liked all of the gods. Strife and Cupid had even let him babysit Bliss. He loved the little godling and wished he could see him again. He had never actually meet Hephestus, but Dite was always telling him nice things about the Fire God. He had even meet Hera. When she had to yell at Hercules for interfering when she was punishing one of the Hinds for threatening to kill Zeus. Serena had nearly convinced Hercules of
her innocence. If Iolous hadn't seen through her lies Hercules would have ended up married to her. In truth he was still getting over the death of his first wife and their children. They had been killed by a slaver that he and Iolous had stopped. The man also killed Iolous' wife and young son.

The Queen of the Gods was a very nice woman and had been understanding. It was through her that Hercules and Iolous had finally realized their love for one another. He had been there the
day that Hercules and Iolous had married. It seemed to him the whole pantheon had showed up. Ares was there because he had to officially bless the union. Hercules was a member of the House of War. Not that he wanted to be, but even as a peace keeper he had caused battles. The Fates had decreed his place at birth. As they had decreed that his mother Alcamene was to bear Zeus' child. She had been one of Hera's priestesses. Hera knew she would not use this as a way to press herself on Zeus after the first encounter. She and her husband Jason had been there along with Iphiclies, Hercules' older brother. The wedding celebration had lasted for a week. It
was made merrier when Jason announced that he was retiring and turning his turning his kingdom over to Iphicles to rule.

He chuckled softly when he remembered how annoyed Xena had been with Gabrielle afterwards. The bard had spent every free moment for two weeks afterward writing down what had happened during the wedding celebration. Between the gods and the mortals there had been a lot
to write. The scandal of the feast had been when Demios had gotten drunk and seduced Auto. Hermes had laughed himself silly at the sight of his oh so straight son in the clutches of the God of Pain. Seeing an opportunity to tame both of the godling's Hera had married them on the spot. Hermes, to the surprise of everyone, had been pleased. Now Auto was immortal and working for the House of War as Hermes had always wanted.

Joxer was startled out of his musings by a touch and his sudden immersion under water. He thrashed trying to force his way up. Pain burned through his chest as he fought the urge to gasp. After a few minutes his mind began to haze and he blacked out.

When his attacker felt him stop fighting he sneered, but continued to hold him under the water. Suddenly he was thrown through the air. He hit the wall with a thump. Castor reached down and pulled Joxer from the bath. Alisha was in tears. Her father and the other men in the room subdued the killer. "ARES! CUPID! HEPHESTUS!" The gods names where called as one from those in the room. Castor cradled Joxer to his chest and begged for his god to come.

On Olympus screams tore from Aphrodite, she could feel the death of her son. On earth pain tore through the heart of every mortal. She appeared the same moment that Ares did. His bellow made the building shake. He ran to his intended and lifted him from Castor's arms.

"HADES!" Cupid screamed after he and Strife appeared and realized what had happened.

Heph pulled his wife into his arms as she wept. Hades appeared and looked around in confusion. "What's going on?"

Ares turned and showed Joxer to him. He moved forward and took Joxer from Ares. Laying him on the ground he pushed his power into Joxer. He came to with a gasping scream, looking around him in confusion.

Suddenly Dite had him in her arms. "My baby, Oh my little boy. I thought I had lost you. Oh Joxie!" She cried holding tightly to him.

Ares sank to his knees gasping. Trying desperately to get control of himself.

"Who did this?" Strife roared shocking everyone.

Alisha ran to Castor and clung to him. Dite looked around.

Joxer was still confused. "What happened?" He croaked. Surprised by how much his throat hurt.

"This bastard killed you." Amires growled throwing the man at Strife's feet.

"That's one of Freshias' soldiers." He whispered. Words tumbled through his mind and one settled sharply. "Dead?" He cried.

"Sh, my son, sh. Hades gave you back to us. Aphrodite dress Joxer and take him back to his room. Take Alisha with you." Heph said in his quiet way. Dite did as he bid.

He then went to stand beside Strife and Cupid. Fire danced in his eyes. Metrion began to whimper. The mortal men stood aside as the gods surrounded him. Before they could do anything four figures flashed in.

"You don't really think your going to kill him until we get a shot at him do you?" Jett and Jace walked over to the cowering man. Both had daggers in their hands. "You should never have
touched our brother." Jace snarled and flicked out with his blade.

Metrion screamed as his left ear landed on the ground beside him.

"Be sure to save some for the rest of us love." Eris purred.

Jett sneered and cut off his other ear. Castor joined them. Joxer was his brother in all but blood. He was the one who took of the man's nose. The other men left the bathing chamber and blocked
anyone else from entering. For the next hour the three mortals and the seven gods made the killer regret that he had ever heard the name Freshias.

When they were through Hades ripped the mortals soul from his body and banished him to the darkest pit of Tartarus. There would be no rebirth for him. He would spend an eternity reliving his death. "We better go to Dite now. Joxer's gonna have to be told the truth."

Strife looked at his uncle. Ares eyes where still red. "Dad you gotta calm down. If Joxer sees you like that he'll be scared to death."

They all flinched at the image that conjured. None of them would ever forget the way they had felt as he lay dead.

"I'll be back." Ares growled and flashed out.


Xena looked up from where she sat holding Gabrielle. Hercules was shaking Iolous trying desperately to wake him. They had all been hit by a terrible pain an hour earlier and then both Gabrielle and Iolous had collapsed. Nothing they had done would wake them.

Ares appeared before them.

"Father! What's happened?" Xena cried in fear.

Ares was covered in blood and his eyes where glowing red. Hercules clung to his husband and stared at his brother. Ares waved his hand and they both woke up.

"Herc? Xena?" They noticed Ares then.

Queen Ephaney walked over to Ares slowly. "My Lord?" she asked hesitantly.

Ares closed his eyes, then looked at them again. "Joxer died an hour ago, but Hades brought him back. The pain you felt was his mother's heart breaking."

"Why did Iolous and Gabrielle pass out?" Hercules asked.

"Dite is there mother, with them only being demi-gods they where unable to handle the onslaught of her grief and relief at having Joxer back." He then turned to Ephaney. "Freshias will no longer be a problem." he snarled.

He spun and stared across the valley. He flung out his hand and killed Freshias and his most
devoted soldiers. The others found themselves miles from Amazon territory. More than one dropped to his knees and prayed to Ares for forgiveness.

"Aphrodite is my mother?" Gabrielle asked quietly.

"And mine?" Iolous asked.

Ares turned back to them. "Yes. Dite had five children that the Fates took from her. As they did my daughter and my brother. They said their destiny's lay in the mortal world. I had Xena with her mother and as you know Zeus had Hercules with Alceme. With Dite she was able to literally impregnate your mothers. Becoming your fathers in a way. The four of you were luckier than Joxer and his brothers. You were given to at least one parent who wanted you and was strong enough to protect you. It nearly killed Dite to leave the triplets with Janus to raise. We didn't even know they where Dite's until that blow up with Apollo."

The four sat in silence in silence for several minutes staring at the war god. "Joxer's our brother!"

Gabrielle suddenly laughed out loud. She and Iolous grinned at one another and said, "Cool!"

Xena rolled her eyes.

"You two have been spending to much time with Cupid and Strife." Hercules groused.

Ares chuckled and the red disappeared from his eyes. "I have to go." They nodded and watched
him disappear.


Dite placed Joxer on the bed looking at him in relief and anguish.

He gazed at her solemnly. "You called me your son."

Alisha sat down in the nearest chair. Dite nodded and sat beside him. "Joxer, I always wanted to claim you. But the Fates would not allow it. They ordered me to give you, your brothers and you sister to your mothers. They bound me from claiming you. I had to pretend that all of you were just mortals I was fond of." She buried her face in her hands.

"You said brothers and sister." He put his arm around her.

Mourning the pain she had suffered. She looked at him nodding. "Jett and Jace of course, but Iolous is your older brother and Gabrielle is your sister."

He blinked, "That's why Gabrielle could never love me as more than a friend. Does she know she's my sister?" No, neither she or Iolous know their related to you. I could tell none of you that you were my children I had to sit back and watch your lives from afar. I couldn't save you from the cruelties inflicted on you by your families."

Joxer sat still for a long time, then turned to Dite. "I love you mother." He said calmly.

Dite burst into tears and hugged him. While they waited for the others to come to them they talked about Alisha's wedding the next day.

"How'd you know Joxie was in trouble?" Dite asked suddenly.

Alisha frowned slightly. "It was my uncle. He saw the man following Joxer and ran to my father and Castor. He told them what he saw. I guess it was his way of making atonement.'

Dite snorted. *More likely it was his way of keeping Strife and Cupid away from him.* She thought, but said nothing.

Ares reappeared in the bath house. The others were still waiting for him. They all breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of him. His eyes were back to their normal color and he had cleaned himself
up.

"Wher'd ya go Unc'?" Strife asked.

"I went to take care of Freshias." He then told them what had happened with Gabrielle and
Iolous.

"Gabrielle and Iolous are our brother and sister?" Jace asked shocked.

Ares nodded.

"Dites our Dad, I mean our Mom?" Jett asked confused.

Again he nodded.

The two brothers laughed. "That explains a great deal." Jett said with a grin.

"We each got aspects of her didn't we?" Jace asked.

Heph grinned. The kids were all taking the news well.

"Yes, Jett got her cool practicality, Jace got her creativity and Joxer got her the purity of who and what she is."

"That's why he gets grabbed so much." Castor exclaimed.

Heph nodded. "I was the only one on Olympus who knew the truth about the five of you. It wasn't until Apollo hurt Joxer that the truth came out. It's also why Gabrielle and Iolous followed Cupid and Strife instead of Apollo and Artemis. The fact that he had lost both Cupid and Gabby while Joxer was with them is what made it possible for the Furies to put the compulsion spell on Apollo and make him harm Joxer." Ares scowled at the memory of how badly Joxer been hurt. Now Joxer feared Apollo and the Furies. No one had bothered to explain what had really happened to Joxer. Apollo had been so racked with grief that he never bothered to defend himself when the Furies had attacked several villages in his name. Ironically one of those villages was Alisha's. They had been Callisto's driving force. Xena had just been an excuse to feed her madness. They had started the fire that killed her family to begin with as revenge against Hades for an imagined slight.

Zeus had all three Furies chained with Hephestian chains after Xena and Gabrielle had been forced to kill Callisto. No reprisals had been taken against the pair, even though she was Hades
granddaughter. She was at peace. The first real peace she had known since the day her family was killed.

"We need to go to Joxer. It's time to tell everyone the truth about Apollo."

The gods all looked at him in shock.

Amires looked at him in confusion. "What truth?"

Chapter 7: Apollo's Torment

Ares ignoed the question and called to Dite to meet them in the Council Hall. He then transported the small group to the Hall while the other gods followed. When Dite arrived with Joxer and Alisha his heart contracted and he wanted to take him in his arms. Thankfully his brothers acted and distracted him from the impulse. When they saw Joxer and Dite they rushed them. Dite giggled as she found herself clutched in her sons' arms.

"Hey Dad, hows it goin?" Jett teased.

Her eye's widened and filled with tears. "Your not angry?" she asked hesitantly.

They both shook their heads. "The Fates took us away from you." Jace said gently and hugged his mother again. They then turned and pulled Joxer into their arms. "Don't ever do that again." They growled as one.

Joxer patted them gently and agreed. Then before Ares could speak Castor had Joxer in his arms and was telling him the same. After Joxer had been passed among the three his godly relative's got involved.

Ares finally whistled shrilly to get everyone's attention. "I need to tell all the mortals the truth about Apollo."

Joxer froze and whimpered at the mention of Apollo.

Ares looked at him with compassion. "Joxer, I know you fear Apollo for his part in taking you to the Furies." He then turned his attention to Alisha and the villagers. "I also know that the rest of you no longer follow Apollo, because you think he lifted his protection of your village. The truth is that he did none of these things by his own will. I'm sure you've noticed that your village has had an easier time recovering than many who were attacked by Callisto." He waited while they all nodded. "Four years ago the Furies placed a rage compulsion on Apollo. They used his jealousy over the lose of Cupid and Gabrielle as a reason to attack Joxer. The reason he focused on you was because you were with both of them at the times that they left him. Cupid met Strife when you were being tended in his temple, but it was the birth of Bliss four years ago that caused him to completely lose control. The Furies also blamed you for the lose of Strife as a lover. They chose this village because you also paid tribute to Cupid. They attacked you after they failed to drive Joxer insane and kill him. Dite and Heph were able to fight for and free Joxer from them. Then in a last ditch effort to punish Cupid and hurt Hades as well, they drove Hades grand-daughter insane and had her go on a rampage. When Xena and Gabrielle killed her the truth of who was controling her came out and the Furies were chained for their crimes. When Heph's chains were placed on them it broke their control over Apollo. These last few months he has been fading. He refuses to eat or claim the energy from his followers. Mostly he has been feeding them into towns and villages such as this one who were nearly destroyed by Callisto's rampage." He paused as the mortals absorbed his words.

The only two who were not suprised or in the dark by this news were Jett and Jace. Their godly spouses had told them the truth.

"I know its a lot to ask, but I am asking you to forgive him and allow his priests to return to his temple here. He was a generous benefactor before the Furies harmed him and you."

Joxer looked out the window near him. Ironicly the first thing to enter his sight was Apollo's abandoned temple. He remembered the day Apollo had come for him. The god had seemed a little off. He remembered the first time he had ever met the sun god.


*Flashback*

"Joxer come on I want to stop by Uncle Apollo's temple and thank him for the ideas for Gabrielle's gift." Xena grinned at him and began to drag him to Apollo's temple.

Joxer laughed and hurried his steps to keep up with her. It was not commonly known that Xena had a playfull side or that she was protective and loving of both Joxer and Gabrielle. Most people thought that she only tolerated him. In truth she and Gabrielle sought out his company more than he sought out theirs. Joxer was their hidden weapon and most cherished companion.

Joxer shook his head at Xena's antics. Apollo was one of Xena's favorite relatives. He had taught her all she knew of healing and had been the first member of her family to forgive her for her years as the Destroyer. He had even taken her and Gabrielle in for awhile and trained them on the new healing practices that he and Ace were always coming up with.

When they reached the temple Xena drug him straight to the alter. "Uncle Pol, I wanna talk to you please?" Unlike her Uncle Herc she never yelled for the gods attention.

Apollo flashed into the temple and she threw herself into his arms.

Apollo's laughter filled the temple and made those inside smile in response.

"Hello Xena." He said with a chuckle and lifted her off her feet into a hug.

Anyone who knew Xena only by her reputation would have fallen over in shock at the girlish giggle that escaped her.

"Who's this?"

Joxer smiled shyly at the god.

"This is my friend Joxer."

Apollo smiled at him warmly, then to Joxer's shock he released Xena and kissed Joxer gently. "Welcome Joxer."

Joxer blushed violently making Xena giggle again.

"What can I do for you niece?" Apollo asked.

"I wanted to say thanks for the ideas on Gabrielle's gifts. She really liked them."

He smiled at her. "I'm glad, will she be coming by later?"

"I think so she wrote you a scroll as a pledge." Joxer told him shyly.

*End Flashback*


Joxer sighed they had stayed at the temple that night. Gabrielle had come in as they were talking to Apollo and had given him the scroll. The god was kind and funny. He had flirted gently with both Gabrielle and himself. They had stayed up late talking and listening to him tell them tales of Xena's childhood. The next time he saw the god he had told Joxer that Xena had needed him. Joxer had gone with him without question and had walked into his own personal tarturus.

Now Apollo's behavior made sense and so did his motives. Apollo had not personally harmed him. He had just healed him at the orders of the Furies. They had had him healed several times before Dite and Heph had come for him.

There were times that Apollo seemed to be waging a battle with himself. Now he knew that he was.

They all watched in suprise as Joxer suddenly stood and called for Apollo. When the god arrived they were all stunned by his appearance. He was wane and obviously ill. This frightened many, gods were not suppose to get sick. Apollo looked to Joxer and waited the young mans rage. Ace was with him and wanted to flash his father away from this meeting.

"Lord Apollo I ask your forgiveness." Joxer said quietly.

Apollo looked at him in stunned silence. "You want my forgiveness?" He asked softly.

"Yes, I should have known by the way you were acting that something was wrong. You had been kind to me before and did not seem yourself at our last meeting."

Apollo closed his eyes for a moment, then suddenly had Joxer in his arms. He was overwhelmed. To have the forgiveness of one he had helped to hurt so badly was for him a miracle.

"Lord Apollo." A timid voice called from behind.

He turned as he sat Joxer back on his feet gently. Alisha smiled at him shyly. "I would be honored to lead the clean up of your temple so that your priests may return."

Apollo couldn't believe that he was feeling forgiveness from her.

"Nonesense girl, you have a wedding to prepare for, I'll be leading the women in the clean up." Morria snapped. She was the local wise woman.

"My lord you need to take better care of yourself." Andrus said chidingly.

To the suprise of the gods in the room the humans drew Apollo to a chair and began to gently ply him with food and direct prayers to him. They could see that he was already beginning to heal and become happier.

For their part the mortals were glad to have their god back.

Into all this happiness came a small bundle of energy. "Joxie!" Bliss yelled and streaked to his favorite mortal.

Joxer chuckled as he caught the little godling. Though only four he resemble a nine year old child.

"Joxie when you gonna marry Granpa Ares? The know it all ladies say ya should be married by now. They say Grandpa takes to long askin', so you gonna ask him?"

Stunned silence followed Bliss' words. All eyes turned to Ares who was standing like a deer in
a trap.

Joxer was gapping at him and Eris and Jett were trying not to laugh.

"I can explain Joxer." He began.

Jett snickered and leaned down to Eris.

"This is gonna be good." Jett whispered, making the goddess snicker.

 

Chapter 8

Ares cleared his throat and looked at Joxer for several minutes before stepping forward and removing Bliss from his arms. He turned and handed the godling to Eris with a glare. Then turning back to Joxer he pulled the smaller man into his arms and flashed away from the group of curious on lookers.

Joxer closed his eyes and clung to his god. He felt a little dizzy and couldn't decide if it was from the sudden shift in location or being so close to his god. Ares was content to hold the mortal in his arms for the first time. He had wanted this with a desperate passion. though he wasn't ready for the truth to come out this way, he guessed there was no hope for it. Idly he wondered if the fates had sent Bliss to them on purpose.

Joxer eased away from Ares and looked up into the gods dark eyes. Taking a deep breath he stepped out of Ares' arms and looked around him to see where they were. He trembled slightly when he realized that they were in one of Ares' temples. He turned back and looked at Ares in question.

Ares smiled reassuringly at the young man. "Joxer, I wanted to give you a little more time before I was to claim you." He cursed slightly when Joxer's eyes widened and he went pale.

Ares gently grasped Joxer's arm and propelled him over to a chair. After Joxer was seated Ares began to pace and talk. "Several years ago when you were still a baby the Fates came forward with a prophecy. In that prophecy it said that
you and your brothers were meant for godly spouses. You were chosen to be my consort. Now thanks to Bliss this can no longer be postponed. Since you know we must marry." Ares turned back to face Joxer and was struck by the pain on
his face.

"I'm sorry you got stuck with me." Joxer told him. Joxer felt shattered. He should have know that his love would never e returned by anyone. First by Gabrielle and finally by Ares. He had always loved his dark god. Now because of the Fates they were to marry. Ares probably loathed the idea.

Ares swore when he heard the mortals thought. "I don't hate the idea! I've wanted you for years. I haven't claimed you, because I didn't think you were ready and I thought you were in love with that damn blond!"

Joxer looked at Ares in stunned silence. Finally he spoke. "You want me?" he asked shyly.

Ares nodded and pulled Joxer to him. Ares leaned forward hesitantly and brushed his lips across the younger mans. When Joxer moaned he deepened the kiss. Both men were lost to the sensation of the kiss and only broke apart when the need
for air became to great for Joxer to ignore.

No sooner had he caught his breath than Ares captured his mouth again. Joxer was distantly aware of the fact that they had moved again. He gasped suddenly when he felt the hot brush of Ares bare skin against his own. His gasp turned into a moan and he pressed harder against the larger man.

Ares tumbled them to the bed and began to thrust against his love. He knew that he would not be able to last very long. He had wanted Joxer for to long. Ares growled when Joxer parted his legs. Ares wanted more contact and gripped the younger mans hips tilting them further. The feel of their cocks rubbing against each other was almost more than he could stand. The noises that Joxer was making were driving Ares insane. The breathless pleas were finally what drove the god over the edge.

When Joxer felt the hot splash of Ares release he screamed out and erupted over both of them. He shuddered and sobbed out his pleasure.

Later when he came back to him self it was to the pleasant sensation of being cradled against Ares' chest. He looked up at Ares and smiled shyly. Ares' eyes and tone were serious when he spoke. "We will be married in three days time. I'm never letting you go now."


END PART 8