Title: Bitter Sweet

Author: Wildannuette

Email: stormwing_2k@yahoo.com

Rating: NC17

Fandom: Xena/Herc.

Pairing: Predominately, Ares/Joxer, Cupid/Strife but mentions of (can't do long names sorry, mentioned at bottom of chapter) Ar/Ap, Ap/Hep, Asc/E, Apollo/f, At/m, Ha/Pers.

Disclaimer: I own nothing to do with Xena/Herc and am not proud of it

Warning: Nothing really so far, but will be Mpreg later

Summary: A problem threatens everyone, gods, goddesses, mortals no matter where they are from and the only the Greek Pantheon are heading the warning and doing something about it, calling forth seven symbols to guide them through their troubles.

Archive: None so far

Notes: My first Xena/Herc fanfic so please tell me if you like it/hate it etc


Bitter Sweet
By Wildannuette


Ares cursed at the scene before him, a private meeting with Zeus about anything other then war didn't usually end well and usually started with the name Hercules though in this case Ares wasn't too sure what he'd done to annoy the little pissant. As he sat down his body oozing casualness despite his being on edge, he realised the meeting was different for two reasons. One, being that no yelling, fireballing or anything else unpleasant had happened yet and two, his mother and Aunt Hestia were sitting behind his father.

He blinked, considering everything, those two tag teaming each other along with Zeus against him? Ares repressed a shudder though his stomach flipped over. Zeus he could handle, they screamed, shouted, and as long as Ares hadn't upset his precious half brother, they generally got on fine. Hera was a bit more difficult but generally tormenting the same half brother got him on her good side. Which explained why it was so difficult to keep them both happy at the same time.

It was Aunt Hestias presence, which really worried him; the normal cheerful, always got a smile demeanour was gone replaced by a sombre, appraising stare. He squirmed again feeling all of five years old again and responsible for some serious damage to his mothers temple. Although he wasn't listening in he could see from the looks occasionally shooting between Zeus and Hera, that they were deeply involved in a mental argument with each other probably involving a lot of cursing from the irritated looks his aunt was shooting at them.

He seriously wondered if they were playing some great mind game with him, or if Zeus had been caught cheating again. He grimaced as long it wasn't the old `in nine months time' talk, in which Hera went ballistic, destroyed everything in sight, burned off Zeus's eyebrows, chained him to the bed, and left him there for several months with no visitors. That had been before Hercules, though only just before. He groaned inwardly, King of the Gods or not, this time it would be castration for sure. Last time it had taken four of them to get the scissors off of Hera and that had been after Apollo had tried sedating her.

"Ares." The word snapped him out of his daydream and his attention fixed on his Aunt who was shooting his parents a glare and turning back to him, she leant forward to speak. "This should really come from your parents but they are being a little difficult right now." She shot them another more scathing look and they turned their attention towards him, Hera looking embarrassed, his father sheepish. "They called me here today because they believe I can convince you better then they can to go through with this." She paused "You are the first one of us, we've spoken to about this, so hear me out, alright?" she looked so sincerely worried, that he had no choice but to listen and nod in agreement.

"Have you noticed any strange power boosts recently, maybe not that strong but different?" she asked, her eyes fixed on him. Ares frowned, come to think of it he had, he'd assumed they were just connected to the whole Darhok mess but from the way she spoke obviously not, he nodded.

Aunt Hestia looked satisfied. "This might come as a shock to you but we've received word from the fates that something's coming, something big, that we have to be ready for. " she paused "Apparently they have these little get togethers with others like them from different pantheons." Ares frowned again, normally the attitude towards gods and goddesses from other pantheons was, be polite but try not too make conversation, some of them were quite picky and several major wars had been started by an seemingly innocent mistake, as the general rule went, you don't mix.

Hestia continued "Some kind of support slash reunion type thing. Anyway they have all seen what's coming and what must done to prevent it but some of them are a little..." she hesitated.

"Arrogant," "Obnoxious" Hera and Zeus put in. "Inattentive" Hestia continued, "Anyway the upshot's that this big thing that's coming is spreading, its hit the smaller pantheons first, and the fates have lost contact with them completely. The gods, goddesses even demigods all gone, like something just erased them. The fates say that's what's causing the boosts, every time a god dedicated to the same type of godhood as one of us is lost, we get some of their godhood and power. The fates say it's only a matter of time till we are all gone."

Ares sat forward, his body tense. It was unbelievable, nothing could destroy a god like that. Kill them yes, Strife was proof of that, but erase them completely? "What can I do?" he asked urgently.

Hestia hesitated "The fates say the other pantheons are already going under, we have only a few months to put our plan in action but they have told us of a way." She paused thinking hard. "We can put ourselves, ever last one into slumber when this thing comes and ride it out until we can be brought back by what the fates call the seven symbols."

Ares nodded "Symbols, shouldn't be too hard to find them..." he trailed off seeing Hestia's look "We have no symbols, right? So where do we get them?" he asked "The fates obviously know so tell me and i'll get them."

Zeus stepped forward shaking his head "It's not that simple son, the symbols are symbols but at the same time they are alive. The fates believe we can tap into them and create bases for their power but it will take a lot of effort and sacrifice." He looked more worried, "They symbols are things that will last despite what comes but they need to be harnessed now, we need to create them now and none of us can just take them on ourselves. These symbols are godhoods in a manner of speaking but tied deeply into all mortal life in the future that's how they will survive and wake us when we are needed."

Ares eyes narrowed "They? Are we talking about giving someone these godhoods, making new gods?" he asked incredulously, the idea was unthinkable. Very few mortals could become gods and were chosen to become them, even then it was often a mistake the prime example being Psyche and Cupid. Though she seemed to love him deeply and they had had a child together she was more interested in being out and about then being with her husband or child. He shook his head "It would be mistake," he said flatly.

Hera shook her head, up till now she had been silent but she needed to explain her part. "Not that way Ares, we have to create these symbols," she stressed looking at him expectantly. Ares frowned not understanding her at all and she rolled her eyes, "The fates have given specific instruction and pairing, these symbols have to be born, we have to create them ourselves and link them to their symbol when they are conceived." She sighed "I'm sorry son but it's the only way, the fates have decided you have to sire two of the symbols yourself. Once the embryos are created the symbol will be attracted to them and they can be granted their godhood from inside the womb."

Ares was speechless, more babies, or grandbabies, born to protect them instead of the other way around, and who would be his partner, come to think of it whom else was involved?

Zeus picked up on his thoughts, "One will be Aphrodite, again." He gave his son an apologetic smile "I know neither of you planned for more children but you need to have one, hopefully Heph will understand." He nodded to Hera "Your mother has the details of the other, mortal for now but you have two weeks to give them a golden apple and one of your mothers fertility potions and get them pregnant."

Ares shot forward. Aphrodite he could do, it wasn't like they hadn't been there before and considering that Heph was all for three in a bed these days it shouldn't be too difficult, but a mortal? One he would give immortality and his child, it was unthinkable, he'd probably end up with some whiny harpy, and he shuddered at the possibilities entering his mind. *The things you do to win a battle*, he sighed, he didn't want himself or any, well most even, of his family to end up lost so he nodded a thought striking him.

"Even as an immortal this woman's still not going to be a god, so the baby will be a demigod right?" He looked at Hestia who shook her head "Once the baby is conceived we will feed your mortal ambrosia, assign a godhood and make sure the baby is a full god. I'm not sure why it has to be done this way but the fates were too cryptic for me to get any sense out of, something about joining and keeping the mother normal when you conceive." She shook her head.

Zeus moved behind a dazed looking Ares and patted his shoulder in commiseration "You aren't the only one son, and believe me no one expects you to fall in love and marry the woman, do what you have to do." He winced as Hera shot him a dirty look and hastily added "Though it would be preferable, of course and it would set a good example to the others. "

Ares looked up at him, "Who else, you?" he asked expecting the answer to be `yes'. Zeus blushed deeply "According to the fates this is a job mainly for the young which puts us three right out of it." It was Hestias turn to shoot him a look "You're only as young as you feel" she shot back.

Zeus cringed slightly "Well that aside. There are several others and most will not be pleased. " He thought for a moment "Two symbols from yourself and Aphrodite and the mortal. One from Hades and Persphone." *Demeters going to love that* Ares groaned mentally *Well she hasn't got much choice thank the gods.*

"We need to get a heavy duty potion for those two considering the time they are apart. " Zeus continued. Ares felt sorry for his Uncle Hades, he couldn't see Persphone ever being allowed into the underworld when pregnant let alone to get that way. He almost missed the rest of the couples "Acelepious and your sister," he looked at Ares carefully "Eris, I mean." Ares sunk into his chair with a low moan "Even Apollo wouldn't stand a chance." Hestia patted his knee "She'll come around dear."

Ares sunk lower "One of the muses, though its not too clear which yet and Apollo." Ares rolled his eyes, that figured. "One from Athena and Posidrons middle son, Caplet." Ares restrained her laugh; Athena had no chance of safe guarding her virginity now. "And Cupid and Strife." Zeus said.

For a minute the last word didn't hit him then Ares sat bolt upright in his seat "Strife? As in my dead nephew Strife!" he almost screeched, Zeus winced and nodded. "Hades will have to send him back, and no one can moan about it, he'll have got off on a technicality as they say." He murmured.

A slow smile spread over Ares face, after all the bitching, moaning and trying to get Strife back the fates were literally handing over the golden apple of all opportunities, and no one could say anything about it. He grinned, again on the other hand Strife would hopefully finally get the chance he deserved with Cupid after that ridiculous trouble over Psyche. He grinned again, something he couldn't see his son complaining about at all.

Hera glanced at Hestia and a piece of folded paper appeared in her hand. "We'll set it up with the others, get the potions in hand and everything but you have to start now, take these and go and get your mortal, she reached behind her and handed him a small green bottle and a golden apple. "Force feed if you have to, but get your mortal back here by sun down, follow those instructions and our new family member can come back here and settle in while you sort out things with Aphrodite, but remember Ares you only have two weeks, all of us do." She warned.

Ares nodded, made to stand up and frowned "Not to sound strange but which mortal is it?" he asked flushing slightly. Hera smiled and handed over the paper "All the instructions are on here." She answered as he opened it. In the short space of a heartbeat, Ares eyes widened, he went exceedingly pale and his eyes rolled back. Luckily Zeus caught him before he hit the ground and pushed him onto the chair, frowning at his unconscious son.

Hestia turned to Hera "I would suggest not mentioning the sacrifice part to any of them just yet." She reached out and patted Ares leg sadly "It would be too cruel and it's going to be hard enough on all of us." Hera nodded in agreement, "It's the only way though." She murmured as Zeus picked up the piece of paper and studied it a confused expression on his face "Who's Joxer the Mighty?"



Part 2:

As Ares came to he wondered hazily if it had all been a very weird dream. Hearing Hestia explaining to Zeus about Joxer he realized it wasn't. He Groaned realizing why Hera had given him that particular fertility potion; it was hard enough for male gods to get pregnant on their own, large amounts of energy were required and the infant physically linked to both its parents to sustain itself during the pregnancy.

Once Joxer was a god it would be easier to keep the infant growing but for a demigod or immortal a heavy-duty fertility potion was needed all the father to carry the infant and bond the father to the baby without the other fathers help. Hearing his mothers cajoling to him to open his eyes, he did, wishing he hadn't straight away.

Hestia and Hera were fussing over him, trying to stuff water and ambrosia down his throat whilst Zeus was studying a large mirror which was showing Joxer on his travels. Ares shuddered, there was even sound and he was singing that damn song again. Zeus didn't seem bothered by it though he kept saying words like `innocent' and `could be good for him' as he studied the image. Ares noticed he did have to suppress a smile as Joxer tripped over his own feet.

Ares sat up and Zeus hurriedly put down the mirror, "Sorry son, but time is getting on. We still have to tell the others and you need to grab that mortal." He said glancing down at the mirror again. Ares nodded as Hestia and Hera stepped back a bit and without a word to them, flashed out and over to Joxer.

Zeus looked to the others "It went better then I expected." He admitted "I'm just worried how he will convince this man to carry his child." He looked down at the mirror itching to pick it up and eavesdrop on the two.

Hera laid her hand on the mirror firmly, "We have work to do, we have to go and see Aphrodite and then Eris if you haven't forgotten." She raised an eyebrow "Not to mention Athena and Persphone and Hades and..."

Zeus rolled his eyes "The joys of matchmaking, more cupids job then mine," he groaned following Hera as she flashed over to Aphrodites arguing with her over whom to tell afterwards. Hestia studied to Mirror thoughtfully and picked it up. Ares was one of her favorite nephews and she hated to see him put in a difficult position, she wondered who Joxer was and if he'd be good for him.

Throwing caution to the wind, she picked up the mirror and settled down in Zeus's chair to watch the two.

*********************

Happy in his own little world, Joxer sang his song as he strode through the forest. Luckily for him he was one of those people that never let anything get him down for long, after the day he'd had most other people would have been trudging along scowling at everything.

First he'd lost Xena and Gabrielle after a huge bar fight in Athens, admittedly he had caused it but he'd been depressed. Xena and Gabrielle had been all over each other and he'd been getting comments about not being man enough for either of them. After his ninth drink, he had had enough; gone to leave, tripped and head butted the lead speaker of the comments, knocking him out.

Chaos had ensured and Xena had managed to drag him out with only a black eye and dented pride. After that both she and Gabrielle had declared alone time and when he woke he decided to get a headstart and meet them later.

So although he had a ferocious hangover, smarting eye and dented pride, he still managed to sing, despite seeming to trip over every log and small tree. As he tripped over the umpteenth log he completely lost his balance and tried to twist as he fell to the ground, pulling several muscles as he did. He closed his eyes seeing a flash of colour surround him as he fell and slowly opened one eye realizing that he hadn't hit the ground yet. Someone had caught him; he prayed thanks to the gods and looked up to see Ares.

Joxer went extremely pale and wriggled out of Ares arms quickly. "Ares, thanks I mean, thank you my god I mean, thanks." He looked up nervously "Xena isn't with me she's still in Athens, there was a fight and a lot of alcohol, and I'm sure you know that being a god and all." He was starting to get even more nervous. Ares was grinning at him and it wasn't in a 'I've just had a great idea that is really going to hurt you' way it was more amused.

Joxer sighed waiting for Ares to send him to Hades, start yelling at him and cursing his existence, and well pretty much anything other then stand there grinning. His worried mind was working so hard he missed what Ares actually said to him "What?"

Ares smirked "I said, most people just pray to me, oh the occasional tribute but not many have actually thrown themselves in my arms."

Joxers confusion grew, on the one hand Ares was talking to him in the same way he spoke to Xena, on a personal level. On the other he wasn't going to risk being smited by him for not paying tribute or at least worshipping him.

Ares felt a slight twinge of sympathy for Joxer as he read his thoughts but he could sense thing starting to get more then a little crazy on Olympus so he had to work fast. He pretended to study Joxer. "Joxer the mighty, wants to be a warrior, hangs around Xena and Gabrielle mostly, has an annoying song." He pretended to muse as Joxer shifted uncomfortably "Here is the deal, come with me, that parts not an option by the way. Convince me that you're worthy and I will make you a warrior." He smirked again admiring his own brilliance.

Give Joxer something he can't refuse, get him into bed and bang bang, symbols created and they all stood a fighting chance. He looked again at Joxer who seemed to be considering it.

Joxer was considering, and worrying at the same time. He might have prayed to Ares daily to be a warrior but he never even believed his god knew he existed and despite hoping against hope that the gods were actually smiling on him (rather then smirking sexily) he couldn't help feeling a little cautious. He wasn't too sure that was all Ares had in mind and after having the `Ares will do anything to get Xena back' lecture drummed into him several hundred times by Gabrielle and her staff, he had to question it. Then again Ares was a god, what choice did he have? He could go on as he was or hope against hope that he could become a warrior in the end, someone he was proud to be.

He looked up at Ares who had started to go a little cross-eyed after following Joxers mental babble. "I'll do it, I mean please?" he looked beseechingly to Ares who snapped out of his daze, rolled his eyes, grabbed Joxer to him and transported them both to his temple on Olympus in a bright flash.

As they reappeared Joxer struggled to keep his balance almost falling back against Ares again. A slight blush covered his cheeks as he tried not to think about how close his was to the god. Ares sighed as Joxer caught himself and stood up, blinking dizzily. He frowned now he had the man it was time to put his plan into action. He took one look at Joxers clothes and shuddered "First things first." He walked forward and took Joxers chin pulling him closer and trying to keep his eyes off his ridiculous helmet. "Lets dispense with the, I'm my god, what on Earth could you do for me talk. I just end up sounding like a bad porn character." He sighed.

"You'll find out when you're older." He interrupted Joxers silent question *Several thousand years older* he mused to himself, as a god Joxer would be around to see everything that was in his future had he been a mortal. Assuming the fates idea worked that was. He frowned at Joxer who was looking even more confused, trouble was Ares didn't go in for forced sex and he wasn't too sure how to delicately say `lets you and me get it on now'. So he opted for the best option he had available.

A bit of manipulation and arousal. He let go of Joxers jaw and stroked his cheek, hearing the mans slight intake of breath "You're a lover not a fighter Joxer, but if you want to be a better fighter..." he stroked down Joxers arm and watched his eyes widen and a deep blush cover his cheek.

Ares had a great urge to jump up, lick his ginger and write one in the air while hissing. He restrained himself. He was an attractive god, he knew that and Joxer wasn't too bad himself, from what Ares could see anyway plus he knew from hints dropped by both Aphrodite and Strife, that Joxer was more then interested in him. Fantasizing and getting himself off while murmuring Ares name was courtesy of Strife. A long talk about Joxers fears on sexuality during adolescence and his determination to get Gabrielle, a woman he knew he could never have, from Aphrodite.

Ares smiled licking his lips slightly and watching Joxers eyes grow wider. He stepped back breaking the spell and waved his hand slightly in Joxers direction removing all his clothes in a bright flash. He appraised Joxers body as the man yelped and tried to cover himself, something that Ares was happy to see was quite difficult.

He nodded behind Joxer and two doors open up inwards, he walked towards them leaving Joxer to follow, which he did after several minutes.

Without even looking at Joxer Ares could tell that he was finding it easier to walk and keep his balance without his awful armor and shoes which Ares had been amused to note were both for left feet. He stood by a huge sunken bath and turned to Joxer as water and bubbles filled it. "Get in, relax and soak yourself." He thought for a moment and then frowned slightly as he sensed Aphrodite calling for him. He snapped his fingers again and produced the golden apple, carefully squished down and mixed into a small beaker "eat the fruit and drink..." another small flash and he handed Joxer the fertility potion mixed in with fine red wine in a silver cup.

He scowled, now Hephaestus was calling for him and not very politely. As soon as the shocked Joxer entered the tub, and had eaten half of the apple and drunk half of the wine, he flashed out leaving the stunned mortal to finish his food and bathe his sore body in peace.

Hestia sighed disappointedly as she continued to view them and Ares flashed out. She knew Ares only had unlimited time but getting Aphrodite pregnant and then flashing back in to make the mortal pregnant was a bit much. She felt sympathy for both Ares and Joxer, she could sense how strongly Joxer wanted to prove himself and the attraction he had for Ares, when he found out what Ares had done, there would be Tartarus to pay.


Part 3

Joxer paddled around the tub growing more then a little bored. It had been well over an hour since Ares had left and he'd finished all the fruit though for some bizarre reason the wineglass kept refilling itself. The water may not have gone cold but Joxers hands were starting to look old and wrinkly, so he climbed out. He spied a couple of large silvery towels near the tub side and picked one up, wrapping it around his hips.

He shifted uncomfortably for a minute unsure where to go or rather where he could go. He figured the best bet was to stay near the tub but not in it. He paused for a moment, at one end of the room there were the double doors he had come through but at the other end there were another set of double doors. He walked towards them wondering where they led, after all the wine he'd drunk he was starting to feel the need to relieve himself.

As he stepped up to the doors they opened and Joxer had to repress a wince as bright sunlight flooded his vision. He blinked for a moment and stepped out staring around the small garden area, as his eyes grew used to the light. It was extremely pretty, he had stepped out onto a small marble area with chairs and a bench but just beyond that were some of the most colorful and strange looking plants Joxer had ever seen. He didn't want to get too close, after all this was Area's home and the plants could be harmless or lethal guard dogs, besides the wine had made him a little sleepy.

He sat down in one of the chairs relaxing slightly as he took another sip of the sweet wine and admired the garden beauty. He was hoping to be as relaxed as possible when Ares came back and although he had his doubts and worries he didn't want to voice them to his god. He knew or at least had a pretty good idea of what Ares wanted him for and he was pretty sure that Ares knew how he felt about that, he was a god after all. It wasn't like he couldn't just look into Joxers mind and see the attraction and the fascination there.

He knew what the opportunity of Ares would entail, sleeping with him in return for becoming and warrior, if that ever happened. Joxer wasn't too sure about that; his major worry was that Ares would see him as little more then a prostitute and he couldn't deal with that, not to mention the grief he would get if any of his friends found out. Joxer was attracted to Ares and he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. If he was honest to himself, if Ares had just appeared in front of him and whisked him off for dinner somewhere and then expressed an interest with him, he would have jumped at the chance and then he wouldn't have so many doubt either.

Joxer sighed; he preferred the direct approach. He'd rather Ares appeared before him and asked him bluntly to `get it on' then having to go through what Joxer personally believed was a charade. He sighed taking another sip of wine, that wasn't his real concern though. Laughable as it sounded, Joxer knew he was a very tactile, emotional person. He could hide it well most of them time, barring the incidents with his crush on Gabrielle, but he was worried if he spent time with Ares whether it was just sex or not, that he would fall for the god. Even if it was purely sex and that was only when Joxer saw him.

He sipped some more wine. He always seemed to pick them. The ones he liked weren't interested in him and were often interested in someone else, and the ones he didn't like were all over him. Joxer knew Ares was a god, his god in fact but he hoped he wouldn't start looking through his mind while they were together, it would be extremely difficult if he realized what Joxer was afraid of. Joxer knew that the gods grew bored easily which was why they usually had brief affairs with mortals and relationships with other gods, He knew he was setting himself up for heartbreak but he also knew he would curse himself until the day he died if he didn't take Ares up on his offer; whether it was as a lover, sex-relief partner or whore.

********

Ares almost growled as he appeared at his home. He managed to suppress it at the last moment and seeing the inviting tub stripped off and sank into it. It took almost ten minutes for him to remember about Joxer and jump out of the tub to search for him, but he had a lot on his mind.

Everyone knew about the prophecy and everyone was preparing for it. Persphone was down in the underworld where Zeus had firmly told Demeter she would stay until after the baby's birth but Hades generously had allowed her to visit whenever she wanted. Demeter wasn't pleased in fact she was in a filthy mood and snarling at everyone. Hestia was the only one who didn't seem to bothered, she just kept repeating that `she would come around'.

Ares had already been to see Aphrodite and after 30 minutes with her and Hephaestus had succeeded in creating the first symbol and left the two of them to enthusiastically congratulate each other. They hadn't really missed him anyway, they were so wrapped up in each other at the moment which was a good thing, better that the child be raised by them together then by him and Aphrodite separately. Anyone else would be embarrassed by the quick in and out technique Ares had displayed but then most would think Aphrodite would be upset and Hephaestus fuming. The truth was he cared greatly for both of them and he did often join them in bed but they loved each other, they sometimes enjoyed playing games and being wild but they were meant for each other, and so they weren't bothered when Ares left. As long as he was all right and the baby was created, they went back to
showing each other that love.

Athena had apparently taken a surprising route. Somehow the fates must have know that she and Posidrons son were interested in each other but hadn't managed to take the first step either that or destiny kicked in. As soon as Athena had found out, she'd squealed startling Zeus whose nerves were slightly frayed, raced down to Posidrons, grabbed the unprotesting Caplet and locked them both in her temple.

Apollo was stopped from doing his usual rounds and told to concentrate on Melpomene, apparently the muse of tragedy was said to be the one recognized by the fates. Neither Apollo or Melpomene seemed too worried about sleeping together or creating a child, both of them had slept together before and several of Melpomenes sisters had had children so she knew she'd always have support. They were enjoying practicing the creation of the symbol according to Urania who apparently had waylaid Hermes and giggled at him for over half an hour and raved on about the baby.

Poor Acelepious really could have done with his fathers help, Eris had cornered him just after he heard the news and was still digesting it. She'd screamed at him and tried to beat him down until Acelepious had called out frantically for some help. When Zeus had appeared with Demos and Phobos she'd taken one look, screamed at them all and locked herself in her temple refusing to come out. Most of the gods who were not trying to conceive were busy trying to get her out, all except Hera who was trying to convince Ace not to take it personally.

Ares hadn't expected her to be pleased but he had to admit she had become a little unstable after losing Strife, he had tried to talk to her but had been rebuffed. The fates decided to get involved and told Zeus that only two people could convince Eris, one was Acelepious, the other Strife. Which is why a slightly annoyed Hades had sent Strife too them before jumping back into bed with Persphone.

Unfortunately no one remembered to tell Strife that he was being brought back and why, so Ares had been elected to try to orientate him, which he had done very well, he thought. He'd scraped out all the unnecessary information and got down to it. It was only when he realized Strife had gone paler then normal that he worked on actually communicating with his nephew. It had taken hours, Strife had told Ares all about the underworld, the things he'd wanted to say before he died, some of which weren't very favorable to Discord and the pain he'd felt seeing Ares walk off leaving him to die alone.

The was the hardest and Ares knew even though Strife understood what Ares had done for them he'd never understand why and how Ares could have walked away and left him. In short Strife was feeling unappreciated and unwanted and he wasn't bothered about anything to do with the symbols.

Ares didn't expect Strife to forgive him but he did make some headway when Strife admitted he had watched Ares and the others fighting for his return. When Ares had tried to tell him how proud he was of Strife and how much he cared for him, without coming across as too sappy, Strife had just shrugged it off as if he saw himself as something to be used and then discarded.

Which was something Ares couldn't convince his nephew of. He might have been able to work Strife around and understand a little more but even before Strife was killed his self-confidence hadn't been that high, and when he was killed it had really taken a beating. Ares did know the best person to convince Strife that he did matter and once he saw his nephew starting to get strained he called his eldest son to him.

Cupid had appeared in a flash, been stunned shocked and then pleased to see Strife until he'd realized what an emotional wreck he was. Then he'd glared at Ares despite knowing it wasn't his fault, grabbed Strife and transported him away. Somehow Ares thought it would turn out all right. Cupid and Strife had always been good for each other and now they had the chance to prove it. He knew despite the twos differences and Strife insecurity issues they would come out ahead.

He sank lower into the tub then cursed realizing that Joxer was missing. He almost tripped as he vaulted out of the tub and strode out onto the terrace as he tracked his soon to be lover. His anger faded as he saw Joxer curled up peacefully asleep on the chair. Just looking at the man made him realize why Xena and Gabrielle could never be constantly annoyed with him. Slightly sunburnt Joxer slept on as Ares watched him and moved closer, he had an extremely innocent look about him as he nestled in the chair, just watching him made Ares feel more relaxed.

A quick scan of Joxers body told him the fertility potion was already working and the golden apple had worked. Slightly regretful at having to wake him up and disturb the peaceful image Ares shook him gently.

Slowly Joxer woke up, at first he didn't seem to remember what was gong on as he stared at Ares a slightly confused expression on his face, then as reality kicked in he jumped up almost tripping over his towel and began stammering out apologies. Ares couldn't abide the stammering ramble of apologies and he did the one thing he knew would quieten Joxer; he kissed him.

More startled then anything else, Joxer responded to the kiss. Slowly he kissed Ares back before grabbing him closer and enthusiastically exploring his mouth. Ares managed to stop himself from moaning as Joxer teasingly nipped his lip. He was surprised and delighted at Joxers response and leant in too deepen the kiss as Joxer pulled away. Ares managed to hold his growl for the second time that day when he realized Joxer was looking uncomfortably around him and blushing deeply, not to mention sporting a considerable bulge under his towel, Ares noted. He raised an eyebrow and smiled slightly as he watched the blush deepen on Joxers face as his eyes traveled down Ares body. "Like what you see?" he asked smiling again at the almost scarlet Joxer.

"Yes, of course how could I not..." Joxer flushed "Could we go in doors? I'm all for outside activities but its just here I'm a little uncomfortable." He broke off an Ares grin widened into a smirk, without waiting to see if the man would follow him he transported them both into the bedroom and tumbled them to the bed giving Joxer another passionate kiss.

Slightly breathless Joxer murmured "That works too." As he captured Ares mouth with his own. Ares ground himself against Joxer, his throbbing erection pressing into the soft towel and Joxer moaned, his own cock desperately needing the friction. Joxer kept up the teasing nips on Ares lip his hands winding around the neck as Ares's trailed over his body.

Tearing himself away briefly and taking a breath to calm himself, Ares stared down at the man beneath him. Joxers eyes were flushed and he was trying, demanding even, Ares kiss as he tried to pull the god back down. Ares pushed the hands away gently ignoring his pout. "Are you a virgin Joxer?" He could have just looked but it seemed impolite and he knew Joxer would tell him the truth anyway.

He did repress a grin as Joxer flushed a deep red and wriggled awkwardly "Not exactly, no I mean I've been with girls and other guys but not recently." He assured Ares unsure of how he would react. Then blushed a more deeper color "A friend told me I sort of was, she said if you go three years without sex you become a virgin again, a reborn one." He bit his lip, looking embarrassed.

Ares repressed a laugh, he knew what Joxer meant and t was true in certain cases but not this one, still though Joxer looked adorable when he was embarrassed and Ares was hoping to nail him into the mattress.

He nodded pretending to consider it "I think Aphrodite told me something like that..." he said "So how about we consider it true." He murmured kissing Joxer until he moaned, one hand reached to caress his cheek whilst the other moved lower to rub and taunt his nipple.

Joxer moaned slightly, thrusting slightly against Ares and almost whimpering as his God pinned him down. "Definitely." He agreed gasping out the words as Ares launched a fresh assault on his mouth. Joxers hands stroked Ares back gripping slightly as Ares rained kisses up his neck and along his earlobe. Joxer groaned, twisting his neck to give Ares better access as he nipped and kissed up and down Joxers neck.

Wanting to touch his lover, Joxer moved his hand down to stroke Ares cock, slowly moving up and down it as the god nipped at his neck. Slowly Joxer edged his hand further down and began to massage Ares balls, using his thumb to rub the base of his cock.

Ares pulled back fast, and Joxer stared up at him pouting slightly, his lips swollen. He opened his mouth to say something but didn't get much of a chance. In an instant the towel was gone transported away to who-knows-where by the aroused God.

Ares pulled back slightly to plant a kiss on the top of Joxers cock which twitched slightly, a smile on his face he ran his hand slowly up and down it, teasing Joxer as he Ares. Joxer whimpered slightly and tried to thrust into Ares hand his body demanding attention.

He didn't have to wait long; Ares slowly ran one finger up and down his cock, using his godly powers to coat it with lubricant just before he reached Joxers small entrance. Joxer tensed slightly as Ares flicked his finger over it and leant forward to kiss Joxer. He slowly explored it, easing the finger inside until his knuckle touched flesh. Slowly he moved it in and out until Joxer relaxed and got used to it.

Joxer bit his lip slightly his hand moving down to his cock stroking it slightly before Ares slapped it gently away. Joxer bit back a groan; the sensations were nice but not enough. He suppressed a moan as a second finger joined the first, continuing their slow torture. He tried to stroke his cock again; frustration growing as Ares slapped his hands away again.

Ares watched his lover, he was becoming impatient, his body craving release and Joxer panted and pushed back against Ares fingers demanding more. Ares grinned, Joxers eyes were closed, his face flushed and pouting as he tried to push back on Ares fingers wanting them to move further. He pushed the fingers in deeper and began massaging Joxer from inside, scissoring them and rotating them around inside the man.

Joxer groaned as Ares brushed his prostate lightly, the flush hitting him for a moment. Ares grin widened, he wanted nothing more then to thrust into Joxer but he still wasn't ready. Ares rotated his fingers faster and faster, massaging Joxers prostate hard. He watched as his lover whimpered and bucked underneath him, and with a groan began to lube his cock.

He pulled out his fingers ignoring his lovers groan of frustration and the pleading thrust of his hips and positioned himself at Joxers entrance. Ares slowly eased in, thrusting ever so slightly as Joxer continued to thrust against him. Ares had to clench his fists not to thrust in hard and accidentally injure him.

Gripping Joxers hips, he gradually thrust in groaning slightly as Joxer unconsciously tightened around him. Slowly he started to pull out and then thrust hard gripping the mans' hips tightly and pushing his legs apart further.

Joxer shuddered, tightening harder against Ares and Ares released a shaky breath. He slammed back into the man, Joxers legs tightened around his waist and his back arched as he rose to meet Ares' thrusts. Joxer could feel his body shuddering; all he needed was a little friction. He opened his eyes, locking them with Ares, who nodded. Joxer groaned in relief as his hand closed around his cock, giving it a few hard jerks, he barely had time to do more before his body gave out and he came.

Ares felt the warmth against his stomach and thrust harder, Joxers moans and shudders driving him over the edge. With a loud groan, he came, filling Joxer with his seed. He thrust a couple more times as his erection died and promptly collapsed onto of his lover kissing him softly.

As the two lay entwined and panting, Joxer needing time to recover. Ares decided he'd better keep practicing with Joxer at creating the symbol. He couldn't sense whether it had worked or not and even if it had he was determined to keep practicing, at least for a few weeks if not more. He laughed at himself silently for not considering the man as a potential lover before and determined not to let him go for quite a while.


Part 4:

Joxer blinked confusedly looking around the small group of gods and goddesses. He'd been trying to work out what had got them so hyped up and what they were talking about. All it seemed to range around was baby clothes and symbols. Two things he had no idea about. He was wondering why on earth Ares had brought him to the gathering. He seemed to spend most of his time shyly clinging to the outside; in fact he was seriously considering setting up home by the pillar he was leaning on.

He'd spent nearly a month in Aress' company and true to his word Ares had been teaching him about being a warrior.

That was the problem, he was teaching him about warriors, making him go through numerous history lessons with Athena, rather then training him, but whenever he tried to bring up the subject of training Ares made an excuse and Athena lectured him on how dangerous it was.

Joxer was beginning to think Ares was stalling but why and for what he wasn't sure. All he knew was that his opinion of the Gods had changed drastically. All in all he found them very confusing and slightly insane. Even the more sensible ones like Athena puzzled him. He'd heard many a story about her, mainly from Gabrielle so he supposed they could have been a little changed but in all of them Athena was depicted as a fierce, deadly-smart virgin Goddess.

Joxer could agree with the smart but the fierce he had to laugh at. Her stern looks shut him up and immediately made him apologise for everything and anything but still he couldn't see her as being that fierce. Not after he had seen her cry when Caplet brought her some flowers. And that was the other laughable thing, virgin? Not likely. Many a time he'd had to discretely wander away when Caplet `popped' in during one of their study sessions and been literally jumped by Athena.

Joxer sighed, if he had had a watch he would have been looking at it right now. He looked around the Gods, some he recognised from quick visits into Ares temple, some from statues but some he couldn't place. It was confusing him greatly. Strife, he recognised and was pleased to see back, but Strife with Cupid draped possessively over him was a little strange. Not that he didn't think they went well together, they did, but Joxer could have sworn Hercules saying something about Cupid being married and having a child with a mortal woman.

He looked around the group, no mortal woman, and no kid. He sighed again willing himself to stay awake. He guessed it had to be the Olympus air but for the last fortnight or so he'd been barely able to keep his eyes open. Athena had screeched at him for an hour after he fell asleep in one of his lectures, then bizarrely enough squealed for what he guessed was joy and summoned Acelepious.

He'd tried to convince them he was fine but had been prodded, poked and examined almost to the brink of insanity before Acelepious had left yelling `last one down' at Athena. Joxer shuddered, then came the lecture of all lectures. He didn't remember the majority of it but what he did remember had him swearing to Zeus to never have kids.

Joxer blinked, not sure if his eyes were playing up or he was dreaming. Now Discord was hugging Strife and patting his stomach and then her own all the time shooting death glares at Acelepious who'd gone extremely pale. The only words Joxer managed to catch was `pain' and `he'll know what it feels like, trust me'.

He wasn't sure he wanted to know. He looked around again for Ares but saw only Apollo, strutting around and being giggled at by a very attractive young goddess. Aphrodite was there too but Joxer was trying to stay out of her way, she seemed obsessed about making Ares temple over for some reason or another and wanted his advice. Something he definitely shied away from, as much fun as he and Ares had he doubted the God would think twice about taking it out on him. Not that he ever had before but still the worry was there.

Joxer blinked back purple spots as Hera appeared in front of them. Always the lady, she made her rounds diplomatically smiling at this person and that before heading straight for him. Joxer tried to back into the pillar as she drew close. Truth be told he was still a little nervous around most of Ares family and when she drew closer and ran a hand down his chest and over his belly, it made him more so. The smile she offered him relaxed him somewhat. But it was only the calm before the storm.

"Have you thought of a name yet?"

Joxer frowned looking at the smiling Goddess in front of him. Name? He had one didn't he? He still liked the sound of Joxer the mighty despite Ares rolling his eyes every time he mentioned it.

Hera kept talking "I know neither of you know yet but in a few months I could give you a hint if you like." She smiled again "I'm not the goddess of childbirth for nothing."

Joxer wondered briefly if maybe someone had spiked his water but he did his best to look interested and clued in. He didn't want to offend her.

"Only a little while longer and we'll be able to sort you both out, the fates say." She took a sip of her drink and nodded towards the others confidently. "The others are already sensing the symbols, it will only be a matter of time before you do too, we just have to be patient." She patted his arm and frowned, looking at him critically "Are you getting enough vitamins? I did tell Ares to watch out but you know how men can be." She gave a small laugh "Not to say you're not one but in your situation these things are more necessary."

Joxer raised an eyebrow wondering what Hera had to do with warriors and their health.

She saw his look and smiled "I take it Ares forgot to mention it to you, no matter I can probably do it better anyway." She waved Aphrodite over who rolled her eyes and played with her nails whilst Hera spoke.

"Aphrodite's used to it by now." Aphrodite shot her a look but Hera continued. "Now for pregnant Goddesses the rules are the same as for mortal women they just have a few extra problems with power control but for pregnant males like Strife" she gestured to him "The baby needs to be bonded to both fathers to sustain growth and development. "

Joxers eyes widened his mind going a mile a minute as he looked over at Strife, an all but glowing Strife. He then looked at Aphrodite who was smiling, his mind starting to click into place. Strife pregnant, Aphrodite pregnant. He looked over the others their conversations and insane behaviour finally clicking with him. He was about to offer his congratulations when Hera dropped the bombshell.

"With Immortals a fertility potions needed and usually the godly father has to link to the baby immediately to make sure it thrives but in your case, the baby is relying on you rather then Ares, which is probably why you are feeling so tired." She whispered to him confidentially "Athena told me about it, I had the same thing when I carried most of mine."

Joxers mind absorbed the information then very calmly and quietly began to shut down as realisation dawned and white-hot rage flooded him. With a cry that could rival Hercules, Joxer shouted "ARES!"

****************

"This is a mess." Aphrodite stated glowering at her brother from across the table. She surveyed the lone, very furious immortal as he strode through the forest, for once not tripping over anything, and turned back to Ares. "You broke him, now fix it." She stated "Before one of us does." She added before flashing out to keep a closer worried eye on Joxer.

Ares looked everywhere then directly at the Gods in front of him, whose expressions ranged from angry, worried to severely displeased. The last was being his mother who'd already given him an earful about deceiving Joxer. He'd tried to explain he hadn't deceived just neglected to mention a few details to his lover but she was having none of it. Blaming him for Joxer running off with her grandchild within him.

When Ares had heard his lovers shout he hadn't known what to expect but the quiet, angry man before him hadn't been a consideration. Ares had realised what had happened straight away and expected to be shouted at or even attacked, those things he could handle and he'd been ready to defend against.

His lover hadn't even raised his voice after his initial outburst. He hadn't even glared. He'd looked angry and then resigned as Ares tried to bluster his way out of it. Then he'd turned to Aphrodite and asked her quietly to take him home.

Ares had only agreed to it because he'd though Joxer meant his home, the one they were sharing but Aphrodite had taken him back to his mortal village and had no choice but to leave him there. The vibes she was getting from him was upsetting the baby and she'd returned to Olympus to rest.

Ares had been prepared to go after Joxer and haul him back but Zeus and Hera had stopped him, coldly demanding an explanation and insisting that Joxer could be watched at all times. Even Zeus could see the man needed time alone to sort his confusion out before he dealt with Ares and so he'd brought him time. Detaining Ares in front of them until Joxer had calmed down.

"I wasn't sure how to tell him." Ares admitted, it had been the thing to do at first to sleep with Joxer and get him pregnant. But somewhere along the line Joxer had become `lover' rather then just `useful' and Ares had tried to put off the inevitable. He'd tried to pretend none of it was happening, the creation of the symbol which he still refused to acknowledge as his baby, tricking Joxer rather then just seducing him and actually coming to like and care for, rather then just lust, over the man who slept with him.

That was the problem, Ares was starting to actually give a damn about Joxer rather then just carrying out his part in the prophecy. Even if he couldn't see it, even if he hid it from himself.

He shrugged "He'll get over it, it'll take time yes, but he'll be a god soon we have forever to work it out."

Hera looked ready to scream abuse at her son but a flash of light signalling his Aunt Hestias arrival belayed her. Hestia looked disappointed and tired. She offered Ares a small smile but her eyes were serious.

"You may have forever Ares, you may not, but this isn't good for Joxer or your baby." She sat down "Think about this for a moment, it might be difficult for you but put yourself in his place. He's a good boy, you know that."

She smiled fondly at Joxers image for a moment and looked back at Ares "You've spent your entire life trying to be someone, been bullied, pushed around even and there are only two things you can rely on. Yourself and your faith." She looked at Ares seriously "You're his god Ares, he's been trying to make himself better to please you, now think how he feels now? He's thinking it was all a waste of time and that he never was good enough. He thinks you've lied to him Ares and used him for your own end. He doesn't understand, all he knows is that his god has failed him."

Ares was shaken, he could see what she meant, he couldn't understand it but he could see it and on some level the idea made him pause. He wasn't sure why but he knew he needed to make things right, he didn't even understand why, couldn't bring himself to admit the reasons.

He looked at the mirror ready to hear their ideas and frowned. The mirror kept a constant watch on who it was ordered, even if the person died it could follow them, but now it was blank "Where's Joxer?"

***************

*One foot in front of the other, just keep moving, just get away, don't think about him or what he's done to you. * Joxer thought to himself as he strode grimly on. His stomach had been growling at him for the last half an hour and he'd pushed the guilt he felt aside and strode on. Now he was passed the stage of hunger and was starting to feel tired. His rage had also died down to make way for hurt and betrayal.

The one constant thing in Joxers life had been his unshakeable faith. His faith that there was some big plan for him and that one day if he tried hard enough he would become a warrior and make his everyone proud. He laughed at the thought now.

Ares saw him as nothing more then a tool, an incubator for something he obviously wanted no part in and deemed Joxer unworthy to be consulted on. The laughable thing was Joxer would have agreed to it if Ares had explained to him what was going on as Hera had tried to. He would have agreed to anything to please his God, his lover and who he thought was his friend.

Joxer could see how laughable the idea was now. Him, a mere mortal or rather immortal courtesy of Ares, privy to knowledge that the gods possessed, that involved him He really should have paid more attention to the things Gabrielle had warned him of.

The problem was, even now Joxer didn't believe them true. That the gods were fickle; they had no plans and were merely bored. The bored part he could agree with to an extent but after staying with Ares, he had to admit they all consulted with each other, sharing problems of mortals out within their houses to find the best possible solution. Joxer had realised that often it fell to Ares, Aethon or Apollo strangely enough.

Ares and Aethon dished out war and famine, to curb some of the population growth whilst Apollo dealt out plagues. Out of the three Ares was seen as the best contender as his methods only involved a small amount of innocents being killed whereas plague and famine struck all and every.

Joxer sighed and came to a stop; he sat down musing to himself. He was tired of being the butt of the jokes; his whole life had practically been one. He'd loved Gabrielle and never been even considered as being good enough for her. Not that she was necessarily a bad person but she'd been too fixated on Xena and he'd never seen that. His brothers cared him for but they had their own lives to lead and the three rarely saw each other. He had no other family or friends to speak of, save Xena who was busy trying defend everyone and his parents who came under the heading `less said the better'.

He sighed, it wasn't just that he was unloved, it was more that no one was bothered. It wasn't just that his parents didn't love him they also viewed him as too much of a disappointment and so rarely showed anything for him. Sort of the way Ares was now. The God might not be being cruel to Joxer but he was indifferent, using him for his own purposes; and that hurt more.

He rested his hand on his belly thinking of the child nestling within him. At least they had something in common; they were both being used. Him to father and carry the child and the child to save the gods. Ares didn't care for the child he'd given to Joxer anymore then he cared for Joxer himself.

Unwanted, used and unloved. Both he and his child were that. He ran his hand over his stomach slowly, coming to a decision. They might be used and unwanted but not unloved. Joxer resolved to love his child as much as he possibly could to make up for everything that would happen to it. To stop it feeling the pain he was, he hoped that maybe his child would love him back, be proud that he was its father.

He smiled slightly, all children loved their parents; the child was the one good thing that had happened in a long while, had ever happened in fact to Joxer and he would tell it that. He would love it and be responsible for it in every way he could and he would never leave his child feeling unwanted or unloved. In that moment, he bonded with the foetus and lay back thinking of what could come to pass and hoping for the best.

*********************

The creature moved soundlessly through the bushes its eyes fixed on the man in front of him. Its master had awoken it from its long imprisonment and sent it to find the `unclean' the ones who carried the strange power his master was so afraid of.

All week it had been tracking the tiny bursts of power but as soon as it tracked near enough to them they were gone. Spirited away by the Gods, under their protection its master had informed him.

The news had not gone down well. Centuries ago the creature had been imprisoned for draining the life force and power from a godly child and though the child had managed to survive, the creature had been imprisoned, unable to be destroyed. All through its forced slumber it had cursed the gods and vowed vengeance.

Now seeing the unclean immortal in front of it, its eyes glowed in triumph. Had it have had a mouth it would have been laughing. The creature had nothing save the power its master had granted it, power it intended to use to dispose of the unclean and punish the gods.

Feeling a strange call its body morphed into a recognisable shape, one known only to those with knowledge and imagination combined. It stalked closer to Joxer. It could sense no godly protection over the man and so used its own power to sever any links to watching or hearing Gods.

With a low growl it moved forward, the bushes parting before it touched them, and stood in front of the man its silver eyes assessing him coldly. When the man sat up and finally noticed him, freezing in fear, it leapt for him hissing angrily.

************

Joxer blinked hearing a strange rumble; he stopped his own silent babbling to the child inside him and sat up. His body went rigid with shock as he stared at the creature before him. A strange mixture of exotic beauty and grace greeted him as the creature moved forward. In its silver eyes it held a silent deadly promise of what was to come.

Joxer stared at the creature. He'd never seen anything like it. It was similar to a panther he'd seen on one of Gabrielle's scrolls, but its colour was silver blue and on its back were two identical seemingly fragile silver wings.

He backed away slightly and acting on instinct managed to roll away as the creature leapt for him, its claws heading for his throat. He felt a sharp pain rip through his shoulder as he rolled and as he shakily got up onto his knees he saw the remains of his shoulder and nearly gagged. His shoulder thankfully had gone numb but the blade downward was covered in stringy red stuff which he guessed was muscle and dark red blood. His arm seemed all right but it had also gone numb and he couldn't move it. He let out a low moan of pain as he tried to stem the bleeding; almost vomiting when he caught a glimpse of what he believed was bone.

The creature was observing him, wearing what looked like a smirk and it stalked forward again. Dizzy from pain and blood loss Joxer tried to stand and collapsed against a tree root. He prayed frantically to every and any God or goddess watching for help as the creature drew closer. He sensed the arrival of a god as his vision got darker.

The familiar red flash as the creature leapt for him and Ares screaming his name seemed almost unreal. As the creatures claws came within a hairs breath away from his face, the last thing Joxer saw before he passed out was a bright turquoise flash and felt a strange almost painful ripple through his body.



Part 5:

Joxer blinked back the bright light that invaded his vision and coughed. Bright blue dots were dancing in front of his vision and he tried to blink them back. He felt exhausted, his whole body ached and his shoulder felt like it was on fire. He winced as he felt someone gently bathing the wound and turned to the person feeling nausea hit him as he did. The spots returned in full force and he rubbed at his eyes with the unhurt arm.

He tried to push the person away as they continued to bathe him and swallowed hard, he felt immense relief as a cup was held to his mouth and he drank down the cool water. He closed his eyes and rubbed them, turning towards his benefactor as he did. As his vision cleared his confusion grew. He had felt before seeing that he was lying on something but he could see it now.

Joxer was lying on a soft bundle of sheets; his shoulder propped up by a pillow so the wound could be accessed better. What surprised him was his nursemaid. Hephaestus was carefully and gently mopping the dried blood from down his arm. Joxer glanced at his shoulder, glad it was covered by bandages, he remembered what it looked like before. He stared at Hephaestus as he finished mopping up the blood.

His first reaction was to say `thank you', but he startled Hephaestus and he fell backwards onto his backside. Joxer resisted the urge to laugh. It wasn't hard, his shoulder and arm felt like they were on fire. He looked up at the god in confusion and then looked around recognising his surroundings.

"Ares Temple?" he asked licking his dry lips. He felt a rush of gratitude as Hephaestus held the cup to his mouth again and slowly swallowed the cool water. He wondered where Ares was and a brief shameful and resentful part of him wondered why he would even care what happened to the baby and him.

Hephaestus took the water away and sat back down. Joxer wondered briefly why Acelepious wasn't there, considering he was the god of healing but he didn't get much time to dwell on it as Hephaestus started speaking.

"This may seem a little strange to you Joxer but you aren't in Ares temple, or any temple as far as I can gather." He spoke softly obviously trying to explain himself "This is..." he hesitated "A different place, one that can only be accessed by a select few." He looked around the walls "It changes to the wills and inspirations of those in it, I will show you." He closed his eyes obviously concentrating.

Joxer was too tired to argue and almost fainted as the temple around him shimmered and changed into a dark forge. Hephaestus smiled apologetically, "It was the first thing I could come up with, if you try to think of somewhere you would rather be?"

Joxer was becoming more bewildered by the minute but he obeyed the god, closed his eyes and imagined the forests surrounding his childhood home, somewhere he had considered peaceful and safe. He felt a slight dizzying shift and opened his eyes, staring at the lush foliage around him. He reached out and touched a tree root feeling its texture.

He looked at Hephaestus "Where are we? It feels like it, it even looks and smells like it but how can it be?" He asked at a loss to explain himself better. All he wanted was to be safe, warm and no longer in pain. At that moment he felt exhausted, sore and deeply troubled.

Hephaestus shrugged his shoulders "Its location I can't be sure of, it is accessible to any god at any time and in any place but according to mother most have lost or don't use the ability." He sighed "I found this place once and she found me. Its extremely hard to find if you are looking for it, for its power, you just really fall into it. One way or another."

He looked at Joxer "Hera knew of it but had never been able to find it before. Sheer panic and need gave her that ability." Joxer tried to look understanding but must have failed because he sighed and continued.

"When I was barely more then an infant, barely walking and completely innocent and clueless, I interrupted one of Hera and Zeus fights. An extremely vicious one, fireballs and all apparently. " He ran his hand over his face thoughtfully "I suppose I must have wanted something or another but somehow I got away from the person in charge of us all, the young gods, child ones," he added as an afterthought "Anyway, I went running in mid tirade and one of them or both of them hit me with a pure jolt of power." He smiled bitterly "Then I'm sure you know this part, I fell off Olympus hit the sea I think, but all I really remember is blinding pain, and the taste of salt. When I woke up I was where you are now and Hera was with me, trying not to cry and trying to heal me. "

He sighed touching his scarred flesh "She couldn't do that much unfortunately and after that they both tried to ignore me as much as possible, they felt to guilty for what had happened."

Joxer was stunned, he'd heard the legends and half truths concerning the god of fire and of the crafts, but had never dreamed or believed the truth or that the god himself would tell Joxer the truth. He wasn't sure what to say or do; normally he was the worst person to have in this kind of experience, according to everyone else anyway. So he settled for keeping quiet and listening, despite the pain in his shoulder he wanted to listen to Hephaestus.

Hephaestus gestured around him "That parts too long and complicated to go into now but remind me to talk to you about it in a few months time," he eyed Joxers stomach thoughtfully "Or maybe less, I'm not very good at these things but when you can drink wine we'll talk about it. You're a good listener Joxer." He nodded at Joxers disbelieving expression "I don't normally talk much because people don't usually listen, they don't let me finish so I leave it and don't try again. You're different, there's only a few others besides you who would." He looked at Joxers shoulder "And in pain too." He murmured thoughtfully.

He saw the look on Joxers face "Sorry I got off track, I should really speed this up, mind you it doesn't matter that much anyway I can't get you out of here any more then Hera could get me out. When you're ready to leave you'll leave, all the gods do. Well I do." He amended "I don't really talk about this place much, tends to make the others annoyed knowing there's power out there they can't get near."

He laughed as if amused and Joxer jumped slightly "Sorry." He apologised "The truth is both Hera and Zeus had heard of this place. I call it the halls of imagination i think thats the closest approximation to the real name; from what mother could tell its open to all, though admittedly Cronus did seal it off from the mortals. They couldn't control it and ended up starving to death or becoming chased into insanity by their own imaginations. It was too dangerous and no Titan or god born has yet been able to control it. Mother was hoping I could link to it as my godhood and do that but when she realised I couldn't change the halls to what they truly look like, she gave up on it. According to her, only the god of imagination can control them and we haven't got one yet, but anyone with a godhood connected to imagination can find it if they want hard enough. Hence why I come here and sometimes I see signs that some of the muses have been."

Joxers minds was reeling with all the new information and was trying to catch up. He could understand the concept, in his way of thinking the halls were like a temple that obeyed your imagination. Mortals went crazy so no more mortals allowed in. Most gods forgot or weren't bothered how to, so didn't. Hephaestus got in because he was a god and connected strongly to imagination through his nature and godhood, Joxer was an immortal carrying a demi-god infant....so where did he come in? Joxer was confused and worried.

"So am I going to go insane then? How did I get here? Did Ares bring me? Did you?" he asked wanting answers.

Hephaestus shook his head hesitantly "No, he's still looking for you I can't seem to get word to him. You brought yourself or it brought you, I'm not sure. Athena or Hestia could probably explain this better, maybe even Hera because I think it was because of the baby."

Joxer looked even more perplexed so he continued. "I'm not too sure of the how or why but I knew the instant I came here. You're a god Joxer, the baby inside you too; I could sense it straight away. The god of what I don't know but I can feel it."

Joxers eyes widened and he tried to sit up letting out a gasp of pain as he did. In a heartbeat Hephaestus was at his side easing him into a comfortable position. "Lie still and listen Joxer. " he advised sitting back slightly "The best I can tell it has something to do with all the babies being symbols and all being connected. Both Aphrodite and Strife were with me before I came here, they could feel something was wrong, something bad was going to happen, and when no one could find you they grew more panicked. Most of the others went looking but I stayed with them to keep them safe in case it was that which is coming."

Joxer nodded, too tired to argue or even bother trying to deny what Hephaestus believed he was.

The god continued "They were only gone a few minutes before both Aphrodite and Strife started feeling ill, when they fainted I called the nearest god to help, Hestia. She told me the other goddesses had a similar reaction but not so intense. She believed that the babies were reacting to something that was happening to your child, the seventh part of their group, Strife and Aphrodite presumably fainted because their babies reaction was greater being related through blood as well as through their symbols."

Joxer frowned not understanding it all. He understood that the babies could possibly sense something if they were connected but he couldn't see how his child was connected to Aphrodite's. Strifes yes but Aphrodites?

"Strife is Ares nephew," he said slowly "And Cupid Ares son, so the baby would be an aunt or uncle right?" he looked at the nodding god "But Aphrodite's just his sister so if she fainted why didn't Eris? She's his twin, so her baby is my baby's cousin I guess." He looked at the god "Am I making any sense?"

Hephaestus laughed "Yes, you'd be amazed Joxer. I would have thought Eris would sense it strongly too but her babys' father isn't connected to Ares. Both Cupid and Strife are closely connected so their baby is too and the baby of Aphrodite and I is half brother or sister to your child." He looked at Joxer as if expecting Joxer to know it.

Joxer looked more confused, then his mind started working. Half brother or sister to his baby, not cousin, and Aphrodite was the mother which meant Ares..."He's the father." He said dully looking at Hephaestus whose face dropped quickly "He is isn't he?" he asked again getting no answer.

Joxer laughed bitterly "Great just one more thing to add to the collection" he spat, glaring down at himself. A thought struck him and he looked up the Hephaestus "Wow I'm sorry I mean she's your wife and you knew and Ares..."

"Had no choice." Hephaestus finished calmly "The fates decreed the babies parentage, all of the infants parents in fact and I love kids" he looked wistful "Ares came and joined us for a short time to complete what we needed and we will raise the baby, whilst he raises yours with you."

Joxer laughed again amazed at how bitter he sounded, amazed at how much more he could hurt and feel betrayed "Ares and I have nothing." He assured Hephaestus "Neither the baby or i are part of his plans other then to defeat this great thing that's coming." He gestured wildly wincing as his shoulder protested violently "We're nothing to him."

Hephaestus winced and shook his head "If you were nothing he wouldn't keep you with him Joxer, wouldn't be going half insane looking for you, he's even resorted to begging Hercules to help find you." He looked at the upset man "He might not show it, he might have lied to you, he might do it again I don't know but he does care for you Joxer, more then he lets even himself know. And you care a great deal for him" he added softly "Not just as his follower but as a friend and lover." He interrupted Joxer before he could retort "I may not be a god or goddess of love but you pick a few things up around them, and I know Ares. Trust me."

"Whatever." Joxer was too tired to argue he just wanted the nightmare to be over. Then again if it were he supposed he wouldn't have his baby, wouldn't be able to have it. The god part didn't matter; it was the baby that counted.

"It's connected to this place"

Joxer looked at Hephaestus blankly and the god continued "The baby I mean, it must be that's why you came here. I'd guess that it pulled power from the others to activate itself and used their godhoods to find its own, creating you as one at the same time." He smiled slightly "Welcome to the family Joxer,"

Joxer stared at him and nodded, a little bit of tension easing off him. He wasn't too sure what was happening or why or what would happen between himself, Ares and the baby. He had more doubts then ever before but hearing those three words made him feel better then he ever had, he finally had a home to go to, and he was ready to go there.

He held out his uninjured arm and Hephaestus helped him up, supporting the exhausted and pain wracked god. He saw the walls flicker and glow turquoise as Hephaestus flashed them back to Olympus, back to Joxers new home.



END PART 5