Title: Something to Hold

Author: Skye

Email: BeckyHoadley@hotmail.com

Rating: Hard R, Mild NC-17

Pairing: Harry Potter/Severus Snape

Catagory: Angst

Warning: Implied character death.

Summary: Harry gives Severus something to hold on to in the face of death.

Warning: Angsty, Sad, Implied character death.

 

Something To Hold
by Skye

Harry Potter graduate of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry walked slowly down the halls, listening to his boot heels click on the stone floors. The sound echoing in the emptiness. The students had gone, leaving him with the professors, his god-father and his god-father's lover.

He found his way to the dungeons with a bit of effort and a few wrong turns. He had rarely come down here. In fact he wasn't sure he'd been here at all since his second year with Ron.

He knocked lightly on the heavy oak door.

"Come in." was softly spoken.

Harry pushed the door open and stepped through, closing the door behind him. The room was cast in shadows, in spite of it being barely noon. The lights were low, muting colors to shades of gray. The only color was the soft orange light from the candles and fire. The room smelled of
sandlewood.

"Professor. . .?"

"I am here Potter." Came the quiet reply. He walked hesitantly forward toward the fire, and around the sofa. Snape was kneeling in front of the fire, hands resting loosely on his thighs. His head was down, hair falling free around his face.

Harry stood hesitantly by the couch, not wanting to disturb the man. He had gained alot of respect for him, admired him greatly. After his meeting with Dumbledore he' had to come down, but now he was uneasy. He wasn't sure Snape would welcome his presence.

Snape stood up with the fluid grace that he did everything, his robes falling around him. He held a hand out toward the couch. "Sit."

Harry sat.

"Is there a reason you needed to see me Harry?"

"Harry? That's new."

"There is no longer any need for me to be either formal or caustic with you. " His voice was deep and velvety, but extremly soft.

"No. I suppose there isn't. I honestly wasn't sure how much was an act and how much was legitmate feeling."

"Very little. Oh you were an obnoxious child. However, I never hated you or wished you any ill."

"Quite the contrary I think. You've always tried to protect me." Harry's own voice was thick and ragged with suppressed emmotion.

"I have done what needed to be done to ensure you would have the opportunity to do the same."

"I will kill him you know." It was more than a promise. It was a declaration.

Snape nodded and closed his eyes. "I know. I am sorry that I will miss seeing you send the bastard to hell."

"Professor. . ." Harry started.

"Please don't." He was cut off gently enough., but Harry let it drop. He didn't know what to say anyway.

So he found something better to do with his mouth. He stood and walked to the chair where Snape was sitting and knelt in front of him and gently captured his mouth in his own. Snape froze and then slowly softened and began to respond. Tongue coming out to swipe across his lower lip and then bite it lightly.

Harry groaned into his mouth and then slid into the heat of the other man's mouth, slowly, gently exploring. Severus was yeilding to him, lazily returning the kiss, hands resting lightly on his hips.

They moved silently to the bedroom and undressed without a word spoken between them. Still silently they moved onto the bed, and lay side by side . He bit along his jaw, nudging his head to one side, giving him access to the soft skin of his neck. Snape's hands ran lightly down his spine and came to rest once more on his hip. Trailing a hand lightly down the center of the lean muscled chest Harry just barely brushed the erection he found and scratched lightly through the patch of wiry hair.

Snape got his eyes opened and locked his gaze on the younger mans. "I want you to take me."

Harry was clearly startled.

"Please. I - - I need . . ." He couldnt' find the words, but Harry understood. He needed to submit, to surrender.

Harry nodded and reached for the lubricant. Snape rolled onto his side, head pillowed on a folded arm. Harry nudged with his knee and Snape pulled histop leg up toward his chest. Dipping his fingers into the cool oil he trailed his hand along the cleft and pressed his finger in just slightly, smearing the lubricant around. "I-"

"What's wrong Severus?" He asked quietly.

"I. . . just do it."

"I don't want to hurt you" He said softly kissing the back of one shoulder lightly.

"I need to feel this Harry. "

He couldn't deny the man. It simply was not in his power. So he coated his hand thoroughly and stroked himself hard a few times and then positioned himself and began to push in slowly. Snape had other ideas and shoved back hard.

They both froze once Harry was buried. The entire thing was slow. . .gentle and easy. Their climax took them both by surprise, Snape moments before Harry.

Afterwards Harry cast a quick cleaning spell and was surprised yet again when the man who had mere days ago been his professor curled into his arms. Harry was barely shorter than him at all and his build was broader. They fit together well. Snape's hair drapped across his chest.

Snape lay quietly. Listening to the heartbeat and steady respiration. Let it envelop him , surround him, and drive all thoughts from his mind.

Harry blinked back tears of his own and gently combed his fingers through the inky black silk and pulled him closer, holding him tightly.

He didn't expect to fall asleep, but he must have for he woke up to Snape looking down at him intently.

"You shouldn't have let me fall asleep."

"You need sleep. It will be a trying time for you."

Harry sat up and put on his glasses and realized that Snape was dressed. Black turtleneck, black jeans, black boots. When Severus lifted one foot to rest on the edge of a chair to tie it tightly he realized that there were two knives there.

Snape looked up and saw him looking and followed his gaze. "I can't take magic where I am going but that does not mean I will be unarmed."

Harry gulped and nodded. The older man quickly took care of tying his other boot and looked blandly at Harry for a moment before he said quietly.

"Get dressed and come into the living room. I want to--talk to you."

Harry nodded and dressed quickly.

When he got there Snape was checking a deadly looking silver pistol before harnassing it briskly.

"What time is it?" Harry asked

"2100. I will be called --soon." He answered the unasked question as well as the one that made it past the young mans lips. "I wanted to thank you." Snape said tone and expression softening. "For giving me something to hold on to tonight."

Harry swallowed and felt tears stinging his eyes again.

"Don't cry." Snape said brushing tears away from his cheeks with his thumb, caressing him "Just promise me 2 things."

Harry nodded, quite incapable of speech.

"Think of me when you finally take the perverted son of a bitch out."

Harry nodded again. "Of course."

Snape smiled sadly. "The second is harder. . . When this is over. . . bring me home."

Harry fought back a sob. It would do absolutely no good for either of them for him to break down. He nodded again.

Snape stepped forward and kissed him lightly on the forehead.

"Thank you. I have to go."

He turned and left in a swirl of his black cloak. He did not look back, striding silently toward his duty and his fate.

Toward his death.

 

end