Pieces

by Lady Midath

lady_midath@yahoo.com.au

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own them I just like to borrow them from time to time

Fandom: Harry Potter

Pairing: Severius Snape/LuciusMalfoy

Rating: NC 17

Spoilers: Not really

Status: Finished

Warnings: m/m slash implied, violence and mention of torture

Summary: Lord Voldermort wants his Death Eater returned to the fold

Author's note: This as been written For the Broken challenge. This is my first Harry Potter fic, Hope you all like it.



Pieces
by Lady Midath

*~*~*~*


He knew he was broken once the scream had been torn from his throat. He had held out for as long as possible, but the last spell had been the most potent. The pain had torn through him and he had twisted in his bonds, wrenched about like a rag doll. Finally the pain had subsided and he had collapsed sobbing like a child to the cold stone floor.

"Kill me." He gasped out after a few moments. "Please for god's sake just let me die."

"I wish I could Severius." Lucius Malfoy replied almost sadly. "This was not my idea."

Severius stared up at him through the dark locks of hair that hung over his face. His dark eyes burning as he stared up at the man that he had once shared his bed with, the man that he had once called his lover.

"Why Lucius…just tell me why?"

Lucius sighed and shook his head. "Lord Voldermort ordered me to bring you here Severius, he wants you back."

"No!" The word burst from the tortured man's lips. "I won't go back… not to him, never!"

"Then you are a fool my friend. How much longer do you think you can hold out against me? You know that out of the both of us, I have always been the stronger"

A harsh laugh escaped from Severius. "I know, after all that's how I ended up being your bed partner wasn't it."

A thin smile stretched Lucius's lips. "You never could best me in either a battle of skills or a battle of wills."

Defeated, Severius lowered his head, the trouble was that Lucius was right-damn him. Even at school together, the wealthy heir to the aristocratic Malfoy family had claimed the poorer Severius as his own. He had treated the slightly younger boy like a pampered pet, buying him treats and showering him with gifts. Severius had happily accepted and had gone willingly enough to the older boy's bed.

This had continued even after they had both left school, Lucius spending as much time as he could with his somewhat sombre dark haired companion. He had even been the one to convince Severius to join the Death Eaters and serve Voldermort.

Yes things had been just fine back then. Even marriage and the birth of his son had not stopped their relationship; if anything, it had made it even stronger. Until Dumbledore's meddling, the old man had ruined everything.

Lucius's lips tightened at the unexpected memory. The night he had gone to Severius's small but neat room that Lucius himself had paid for, only to find his lover gone. Fleeing to Hogwarts and to Dumbledore's protection.

Enraged and determined to bring his errant lover back, Lucius had gone to Hogwarts only to find himself turned away. He had sworn revenge on Albus Dumbledore just as he had sworn that he would get Severius back, and punish him severely for leaving.

And now here was his chance to do just that.

Lucius walked over to where his former lover was crouched on the floor. Squatting down next to him, he whispered.

"All you have to do is declare your loyalty to the Dark Lord and to me."

Severius shook his head.

"You always were a stubborn man, weren't you."

Severius lifted his head once more, pinning the blonde haired man with a glare

"I won't surrender to you Malfoy, not now, not ever."

"Brave words coming from a man about to die." Lucius sneered. "Oh come on Severius, use your common sense for a change. Can't you see that Dumbledore can no longer protect you? The Dark Lord is gaining power even as we speak and very soon none will be able to stand against him, not even that Potter brat."

Severius chuckled weakly. "That's where you are sorely mistaken Lucius, Dumbledore may be old, but he's still more powerful than He who cannot be named… or you for that matter."

"Go to hell."

Lucius smiled thinly at that, nice to see that Serverius still had some spirit left. Getting to his feet once more, he walked back over to the chair that he had been sitting on. He was aware of Severius's eyes following him as he moved across the cell.

"Lord Voldemort has offered me a reward in return for you."

"And what's that?" Severius asked; his voice raspy.

"That I would be allowed to keep you." Lucius replied with a smile.

"Like a pet." Severius snarled.

"If you like…yes."

"I'd rather die." Severius replied.

Lucius heaved a sigh. "I wish you would reconsider Severius."

Severius said nothing, he sat crouched on the dirty stone floor, his ragged clothes little protection against the cold. He watched his former lover through red swollen eyes, remaining silent and watchful, waiting for the killing blow.

Lucius sat on the chair, his face expressionless as he pondered his options. Voldermort had ordered him to capture Serverius and to kill him if he refused to rejoin the already swelling ranks of his Death Eaters. The trouble was; he was not sure that he could carry out that sentence. Simply put, there was too much history between them. Too much depth of feeling, even if that feeling was hatred, well on Severius's side anyway.

"So what will you do Lucius?"

Severius's voice cut into the other man's thoughts. He looked over at the crouching figure for a moment, then got to his feet once more.

"You have made you decision, as have I." He said as he slowly raised his wand. Severius stared at him silently, and then lowered his head, accepting his fate.

*~*~*~*

"Shhh, don't move Severius." He heard a gently familiar voice say.

Severius's eyes fluttered open; he blinked hard as a face swam into view.

"Dumbledore." He croaked. "Where…" Panic suddenly rippled through him and he struggled to sit up, only to to feel hands gently press him back down again.

"It's all right Severius, you are home."

"Hogwarts?" Severius asked dazed.

"Yes, Hogwarts, you are in the infirmary."

"But how…when?"

"Now calm down, everything is fine." Dumbledore said soothingly. "We found you lying on the grounds near the Forbidden Forest. Well it was Hagrid that found you to be precise. You have been very ill Severius."

"Lucius…"

"I have spoken to Lucius Malfoy; he will be in later to see you." Dumbledore replied.

"Lucius…no please…" Tears began to squeeze their way out of the corners of his eyes as Dumbledore gently pushed him back down against the bed.

"Did he have something to do with what happened to you?" He asked.

Severius said nothing; instead he closed his eyes once more already exhausted.

"Sleep Severius, I will be in to check on you later."

With that, Dumbledore left the infirmary, leaving the nurse to fuss over the seriously ill man.

Lucius Malfoy was standing outside the infirmary, waiting for the headmaster. He could scarcely disguise his anxiousness.

"How is he Dumbledore?" He asked, taking a step forward.

"Very ill, but he will recover, given enough time and care." Dumbledore answered him. "I ought to congratulate you on a job well done Lucius."

Colour slammed into the other man's pale face.

"I did what I was ordered to do." He replied heatedly." As it is I have taken a great risk by allowing him to be brought back here. If the Dark Lord were to ever discover…"

"I applaud your actions Lucius, but you are still responsible for Severius's condition in the first place and for that alone you should be sentenced to Azkaban."

Lucius's lips pulled back into a mirthless grin. "You would never be able to prove it Dumbledore."

The headmaster sighed and nodded his head slowly, suddenly looking every bit his age.

"I may not be able to find proof of your misdeeds this time Lucius, but rest assured; I will not let anything like this ever happen again. Severius is under my protection. Do you understand."

"Perfectly headmaster." Lucius replied stiffly. "But from here on in, I suggest that Severius must not be allowed to leave the school grounds."

Dumbledore nodded, he knew that while Severius stayed within Hogwarts, he was safe, but the moment he stepped foot outside the grounds, there would be other Death Eaters waiting to pounce.

"So tell me Lucius, how was it you were able to lure Severius away from the school?" Dumbledore asked.

Lucius smiled coolly at the headmaster.

"Let's just say, I have my ways and leave it at that shall we."

Dumbledore nodded; after all, he had a very good idea of what it had been.

*~*~*~*

Severius sat in his office busily grading papers. The only sound in the room was the quiet scratching of quill against parchment.

Suddenly there was a flapping at the window. Looking up; Severius saw the large white owl. Pushing his chair back, he walked over to the window and opened it.

The owl glided in, a letter attached to its leg.

"I wonder who this is from." Severius murmured as he carefully detached the letter and opened it.

My dearest Severius…

I am writing to you in the hopes that I will be able to see you soon. The day I lured you from the safety of Hogwarts is a day that I shall spend the rest of my life regretting. You see, I had made a very big mistake. I thought that I was able to put the past behind me. I thought that I could set my feeling for you aside, but alas I was wrong. The Dark Lord was very angry but luckily I was able to escape his wrath. Still things are not safe for you. The Dark Lord is determined to have you back or see you dead once and for all. So I rendered you unconscious, then returned you to Hogwarts. Simply put my dear love, I could not do it, I could not kill you and it was obvious that you were never going to return to the fold. I wish you the best my darling and my wish for you to be safe.

Yours forever
Lucius

Severius read the letter several times, then after carefully folding it, placed it at the bottom of his drawer. Seeing that there would be no reply, the owl took off through the window once more, flying away into the night.

Then seating himself at his desk once more, Severius returned to grading his papers.

 


~End~