Title: Goodbye

Author: Laqueta

Email: laqueta@charter.net

Website: http://www.artisticdelusions.com/fic/

Status: Complete

Fandom(s): Harry Potter, Highlander

Rating: G

Genre: Gen

Type: Crossover

Character(s): Lucius Malfoy, Richie Ryan, Emily Ryan, Jack Ryan

Spoilers: None

Notes: Answer to the Immortal Squibs challenge issued on the DivergentPathsFanfic YahooGroup. The challenge is listed at the end of the story.

Synopsis: A drabble and a half. It's not easy saying goodbye.

Disclaimer: Not mine. Harry Potter and its associated characters and concepts are the property of J.K. Rowling. Highlander and its associated characters and concepts are the property of Davis/Panzer.

Distribution: Lists. Anyone else: Want. Take. Have. Just let me know where you put it.


Goodbye
by Laqueta
* * *


He leaned against the tree and watched the sunlight play upon his son's golden head. He gently ran his fingers through the downy curls. A sad smile curved his lips at the sight of the baby's scrunched up nose.

The sound of rustling leaves and snapping twigs reminded him of the urgency of this task.

Shoulders drooping, he pressed a kiss to the smooth forehead.

Sparing a quick glance behind him, Lucius took a moment to gather his resolve before whispering the few fateful words. As the soft light engulfed his first born, he allowed himself one last look before vanishing with a soft pop.

* * *

The young woman jerked to a stop. "Oh my God!"

"What is it? Emily, what's the..." he managed, before he spotted the empty basket and the sleeping baby gently cradled in his wife's arms.

"What kind of monster would abandon a baby in the woods?"



-end-



The challenge was:

Write a Harry Potter / Highlander crossover based on the following concept.

Squibs aren't really as rare as we were lead to believe. They aren't without magic either; it just takes on a different form: They become immortal when they die a violent death.

The Wizarding World and the Immortals don't know about each other since almost all squibs are abandoned as babies.