TITLE: Do Not Ask for Love

AUTHOR: rain

EMAIL: rain-no.spam @ rain-no.spam-drops.net

PAIRING: Severus Snape/Lucius Malfoy

RATING: NC-17

FEEDBACK: Please! Constructive is welcome.

DISCLAIMER: Gods, please let JKR have a healthy sense of humor. This is all just in fun; no units of currency are being exchanged. May Warner Bros. have mercy on my soul.

SUMMARY: Sometimes attraction isn't enough.

WARNINGS: Hints of BDSM, quasi-consensual (i.e. didn't say yes but didn't say no either)

NOTES: Part of the Severus Snape Fuh-Q Fest, written for the Second Wave. Scenario combination: 54) The Dark Mark can be used to inflict great pain... or great pleasure and 37) What goes through Sev's mind while he's being regularly punished by [orig: the Dark Lord] Lucius Malfoy? Is this really going to be the greatest intimacy of his life? Dedicated to The Mad Hacker for first introducing me to the kinkier side of smut. Thanks to Meg for being my beta/sounding board.

ARCHIVING: The Severus Snape Fuh-Q Fest Archive. If you want it as well, ask me NICELY. :)


Do Not Ask For Love
by rain


And is it so, once more thou art returning?
Hast thou lost thy way as once before?
I warned thee more than many times, thus would it be.
I shall not be thy refuge once more.

Thou makest me free then soon thou makest demands on me
And I am not thy love, thou workest in me slavery.
But I shan't heed thee as before.
I prithee, do not ask for love once more.

So go thy way, and soon I shall go likewise.
And if thy path be high, then be mine low.
Behold my footsteps in the sand, but follow not.
For soon they shall be covered with snow.

Thou makest me free then soon thou makest demands on me
And I am not thy love, thou workest in me slavery.
But I shan't heed thee as before.
I prithee, do not ask for love once more.

I prithee, do not ask for love once more.
~ "Prithee (Do Not Ask for Love)" by Michael Murphey



25 April 1977

The Dark Lord was not in the habit of waiting for others. On occasion, however, if he felt the reason was legitimate, he would indulge his lieutenant -- just a little bit -- and bide his time patiently. While he waited, he would consider the man who worked so diligently to endear himself to his Master.

Lucius Rupert Emmett Malfoy was one of his most loyal followers, and by far his most ambitious. He threw himself wholeheartedly into every task he was given. The Dark Lord could not help but favor him and appoint him to higher and higher ranks within his militia. Lucius was always the first to volunteer for the special missions -- especially if they were particularly
dangerous. When the pesky Aurors circled around, coming perilously close to locating the central Death Eater camp, it was he who led the battle against them, driving them away, misdirecting their attentions.

Malfoy finally appeared, looking smug. He knelt low before his Master, kissing the hem of his robe, making all the proper obeisance. "My Lord."

"You may rise."

He unfolded himself elegantly, smoothing out his own robes as he stood. "My efforts at long last have come to fruition, Master. He has agreed to join us."

Voldemort regarded the young, white-haired man. Something in his demeanor indicated there was something he was leaving unsaid. He examined his face, his eyes. Yes. He wanted something. He did so rarely make personal requests. He had countless times proved himself worthy. Perhaps he deserved to be granted his wish. "And?"

Malfoy gave a small bow. "My Lord, I have taken pains over these many years to establish a rapport with him. I believe that for best results, I should be allowed to continue as his mentor. If it does not interfere with your plans, of course."

The Dark Lord bequeathed him with a small smile. "No. I had no...specific plans for him. At least, none I would not trust you to oversee." He nodded thoughtfully. "You have earned this privilege. You may take him as your pet once he has been Initiated."

He bowed more deeply. "You are most generous, Master. I shall bring him, then, to the next meeting."

***

18 May 1977

Severus Paracelsus Snape stood quietly, wearing the Death Eater robes his friend Lucius had provided for him. Said friend was standing beside him in the wide circle, hooded and watchful like everyone else.

They didn't have long to wait. Voldemort Apparated at the center of the circle and they immediately began to fawn over him, physically and verbally prostrating themselves before him. He reveled in their worship for several moments before sending them back to their places and turning to face Severus.

Severus schooled himself into a measure of calm. Although he knew what Voldemort -- and the Death Eaters as an organization -- was about in general, thanks to Lucius' stories, he wasn't sure what to expect in regards to this Initiation ritual. His friend had been quite mysterious and
tight-lipped about that. For a ridiculous moment, he felt like a first-year again, dreading the unknown Sorting Ceremony.

"Severus, step forward." His voice was a luxuriously silky baritone. No doubt he knew how to put it to good use. "I am told you wish to become one of my Death Eaters."

"Yes, my Lord."

Voldemort regarded him for a long moment. "How old are you?"

That was an odd question. "Very nearly seventeen, my Lord."

He chuckled. "I remember when I was your age. I had already begun amassing my loyal followers. Tell me, do you hate? Do you have a desire to see others suffer?"

Severus' hands clenched into fists. It had not been a month since his close encounter with fur and fangs.

Voldemort smiled to see this. "Rage. Excellent. I believe you shall serve me well. Are you ready to accept my Mark?"

"Yes, my Lord."

Voldemort held out his hands. "Give me your left arm."

He extended it, wondering how Voldemort was going to do this. He watched as the Dark Lord made his sleeve roll back with just a negligent flick of his finger. He observed the way he brought the tip of his wand to his skin and was surprised that it felt sharp, like a knife or a needle. As Voldemort cut a design in his flesh, Severus could hear him chanting. His command of ancient languages was not the best, but he was pretty sure he caught the words for "blood" and "servant". He remained stoic, letting the pain keep him rooted in the moment.

The moment seemed to stretch almost interminably, but at long last the Mark was imprinted on his arm. It pulsed, glowing, for a few seconds, then faded to a dull red-black. He was a Death Eater.

***

1 July 1978

Severus was now a fully qualified wizard. He had finished all his classes and passed all his N.E.W.T.s. It had been more than a year since he took the Dark Mark, and now he had moved himself out of his parents' house and into the basement of Lucius Malfoy's generous mansion. Lucius, for his part, seemed to revel in his role as Sugar Daddy.

He also began eyeing Severus predatorially.

"You realize, Severus," he said to him as they experimented with a potion that would help a wizard fly short distances without a broom, "that our Master gave you to me?"

"Gave?" He had been picking up a strange vibe from Lucius ever since he was fifteen, and it had only gotten stronger since his Initiation into the Circle of Death Eaters. He thought he had an idea what Lucius wanted from him, but wasn't entirely certain.

"Yes. When he calls us, we serve him..." He dropped in a few pairs of bat wings. "And when we are on our own time, you serve me."

Severus blinked a few times. He supposed he ought to have expected this; nevertheless, it was one thing to suspect and quite another to hear it said explicitly. "And just how do you wish for me to serve you, Lucius?" He stirred the cauldron as he recited an incantation they had found.

That made him smile. Apparently, he'd been waiting for Severus to say something like that. He took out his wand and touched it to Severus' left arm. "You are aware of my rank and position?" he asked slowly. "Our Master allows me a few special privileges, and I have chosen to share some with you. You should be grateful."

"I am." This was very typical of Lucius' style, he thought. The man was not content to ask for something. No, he had to demand it, and would accept it only on his own terms. He felt the Dark Mark tingle slightly. "I have always valued your friendship. You have consistently been there for me when no one else was."

Lucius' eyes darkened, and Severus realized belatedly that his response wasn't quite the one Lucius had wanted to hear. He extinguished the fire and moved the cauldron aside to let it cool before advancing on Severus, backing him against the wall. "Friendship? Is that all you can see between us? Have you no imagination? No ambition?" He reached down and grabbed a handful of Severus' crotch, eliciting a surprised squeak from the younger man. "I can give you so much, Severus. So much. All you have to do is want it. Do you want it?"

"Yes," he gasped breathlessly.

Lucius leaned in close, their heads touching. He put his lips right on Severus' ear and whispered, "Do you? That wasn't very convincing." He worked the bulge around in his hand.

"Yes!" he cried, feeling his pulse throb. Dammit, why couldn't he just SAY he was attracted to him? He moaned. No, that was what made him Lucius, made him so attractive. It was that dominant -- no, make that Dominant -- personality of his. And Severus did love it when he was forceful.

Again, Lucius touched his wand to Severus' Mark, and whispered something Severus couldn't catch. Suddenly, he was overwhelmed with sensation. Fire coursed through his veins, sparking his nerve endings into flames. It was intense pain, but it wasn't a torturous agony. It was pain with a purpose. As the fire traveled through his body, it left a trail of intense pleasure in its wake.

Lucius took a step back, smiling. Severus knew all too well that the man was an incorrigible sadist. He was teasing him. But he knew he meant business when Lucius began to undress. His movements were deliberate and calculated; Severus could tell by the way Lucius' eyes never left him. Once he was nude, he smiled disarmingly and grabbed Severus into a searing kiss.

The immediacy and the passion and the sheer intimacy of such a gesture took Severus by surprise much more than the magically channeled pain/pleasure did. He returned the kiss with equal fervor, probing his tongue around the interior of Lucius' mouth. He tasted the way he smelled: a mixture of musk and spice. Rather like the man himself, Severus mused. Wild and dangerous. But before he had time to savor it, Lucius pulled away.

"What--?"

"Hush." And he began to peel the clothes from Severus' body. When Severus started to help him, however, he stopped cold and just looked at him. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I just--"

"I don't need help, nor did I ask for any." There was a chill in his voice.

Severus swallowed. "Sorry."

Lucius gave no acknowledgement and resumed stripping him. When he was finished, he took Severus' left arm and placed his hand over the Mark, whispering something. It began to burn again, this time the agony bringing Severus to his knees. "You have pledged your obedience to Lord Voldemort, Severus. Now you must pledge your obedience to me."

So that was his game. Lucius wanted his own slave. Severus had to admit, the prospect was somewhat thrilling; to be more than kept: to be owned. He had known Lucius since he began at Hogwarts, and in all honesty it was the pure power and control he radiated that had attracted Severus to him in the first place. And now it was formalized. Lucius was Voldemort's right-hand man. Severus was now a Death Eater himself. And by Voldemort's decree, Severus answered to Lucius.

In for a knut, in for a galleon. "I am yours, Lucius."

"Is that all?"

Severus wondered what in the world he meant by "is that all". He tried again. "I pledge myself to you. I shall obey you."

Lucius just smirked at him. "I suppose that shall do." Again, he touched Severus' Mark. Again, it sent waves of burning pain coursing through him, equally intense pleasure trailing behind it. Lucius smiled to see his erection. "You desire me." It wasn't quite a question.

"Yes. Please, Lucius!"

He laughed. "Have you any idea how delicious you are when you beg?" He sent a shock of blinding pain, laughing more when Severus began to writhe. "Just remember your place in our little hierarchy, Severus." He purred his name seductively. "We took you in when no one else would accept you. We appreciate your talent for potions and curses." Lucius stroked his cheek
almost affectionately.

Severus rooted into the touch. All he'd ever wanted was some measure of acceptance and appreciation. He would play Lucius' games gladly if it would secure him a bit of certainty.


***

20 July 1978

Severus was beginning to realise just how much Lucius loved inflicting pain, especially via the Mark on his arm. He was also learning just how completely Lucius loved to control him. But he told himself that it was Lucius' way of expressing affection and besides, the man obviously did want him in some fashion or other. It was lovely to be wanted. That he found his white-haired
mentor dead sexy made it all the more lovely. He was tall, stately, with straight, white-blond hair that fell below his shoulders. He carried himself with great confidence and wielded a great deal of power both in his own right and by the leave of Lord Voldemort. It made Severus ache just to be near him.

***

12 August 1978

While Lucius was in conference with Voldemort, Severus managed to perfect their flying potion. He was able to navigate as high as twenty-five feet in the air and travel at the speed of a healthy jog for about five minutes. Lucius was pleased that he had succeeded, but disappointed that he had not been present at the time. He knocked Severus to the ground, ripping his clothes from his body. Lucius then flipped him onto his stomach and reamed him with Severus' own wand. He caressed the Dark Mark to intensify the pleasure. Severus was loudly incoherent with arousal. Pleasing Lucius was even more fulfilling than pleasing Lord Voldemort. He'd never had such recognition before for his achievements. He barely had time to bask in the glow of his orgasm, however, when Lucius left off channeling pleasure and began channeling pain through the Mark.

"That is for not consulting with me," Lucius hissed in his ear.

Severus nodded and whimpered. In his enthusiasm to work, he'd forgotten that Lucius had wanted to be in on the process with him. He made a mental note through the haze of torment not to start another potion without first consulting with Lucius.

***

31 October 1978

For his birthday, Lucius generously suppressed his sadistic proclivities and tortured Severus with pleasure. He used his mouth to make love to Severus' Dark Mark, which he activated in stages. Severus didn't know how this power to control the Mark worked, but he didn't concern himself with speculation. He just let himself get lost in sensation as liquid passion washed through him. He was so sated and relaxed afterward that he didn't even notice Lucius leave.

***

22 December 1978

Lucius' birthday. Their Dark Lord had acknowledged it at the Death Eater gathering late that afternoon, and now at home that evening, Severus thought he would help him celebrate with something a little more special. He told Lucius he would act out any fantasy he desired.

"I am not content to fantasize, Severus," he informed him coolly. "I want reality."

In the end, he chained Severus to the bed and fucked his mouth while by turns feeding him mind-blowing pleasure and mind-blowing pain, and occasionally both at the same time. It struck Severus that this was indeed fairly representative of what they already had with each other. Lucius was the Dom, the demanding Master. Severus was under his thumb. But he knew where he stood.

***

9 March 1979

Severus and Lucius returned home, flushed from the excitement of harassing an old Mudblood couple. Lucius had thoroughly enjoyed torturing them, and Severus had primarily enjoyed watching Lucius. The man was sexy enough as he was, but to observe him in action was beautiful beyond words. Fueled by adrenaline, Lucius took Severus right there on the floor of the workroom, feeding him pain and supplying the pleasure manually. Severus was happy. He
belonged somewhere. He was the focus of someone's attentions.

***

23 September 1979

Severus was beginning to grow frustrated. Basking in the glow of Lucius' power was not the same at all as having power of his own. He had thought being a Death Eater would be a stepping-stone in his own quest. He had imagined being Lucius' lover and partner would help him learn what he needed to exert his own control. But he was starting to see that Lucius was in fact not playing games with him at all, but was deadly serious when it came to the Master/slave relationship he insisted upon. Severus began to wonder if Lucius truly cared for him at all or if there was any depth behind his sadistic nature.

***

5 January 1980

Exquisite sex notwithstanding, Severus started growing weary of his relationship with Lucius. It was very one-sided and he was becoming more and more convinced that it was Lucius who was holding him back from rising at all in the Death Eater ranks. At that, he was also learning the truth regarding what the Death Eaters were really about, and he found it a little disappointing. He wondered what the point was to all the acts of terrorism, or even if there was a long-term objective it all pointed to.

***

17 May 1980

Severus had begun concocting potions on the side without telling Lucius about them. He sold them for a decent profit and kept his earnings in a moke-skin pouch, which he kept tucked away in a dark corner of his wardrobe. He also began asking Lucius questions about Voldemort and the Death Eaters and what they hoped to accomplish. It occurred to him that when he had originally been recruited, all he'd been told was the usual propaganda. But afterward, he had been given very little to do and was kept mostly in the dark. Lucius, however, didn't have the patience for his "impertinent" questions and forwent, for once, his Dark Mark fetish in favor of an old-fashioned Cruciatus.

***

21 June 1980

Lucius was in a good mood, although the reason for this made Severus feel like a cuckold. His infant son was already exhibiting signs of magical talent. Since when did he have a son? Since when was there another person in his life? Severus was stunned to learn that Lucius had been married for three years. How could he not have known? How could he never have met her before?

Was this why he was relegated to the lower levels of the mansion, forbidden from exploring the rest of the estate without Lucius escorting him? Was this the reason why Lucius so rarely kissed him?

His body responded to the pleasure Lucius gave him that evening, but his mind was focused on other things.

***

27 September 1980

Voldemort had begun formulating some new plans. There were a few dozen Aurors he had targeted and the Death Eaters' assignments were to root them out and report back with information on their whereabouts. It would not be an easy task. Lucius and Severus were ordered to find the Potters.

Severus had been losing a great deal of momentum regarding being a Death Eater, and this clinched it for him. Much as he hated Potter, he could not deliver him to Voldemort. He owed his former school-mate a life-debt and he was obligated to repay it.

Lucius had been observing his increased reluctance with great dissatisfaction, although he chose not to report it to Voldemort. Instead, he dealt with Severus in his own way, which included threats, promises, and liberal abuse of the Dark Mark. But none of this was effective. In fact, it
only served to convince Severus that he'd made a big mistake in befriending and trusting Lucius and in letting him draw him into Voldemort's service.

***

14 December 1980

Severus felt torn. Despite the rift that had been growing between him and Lucius, he still craved the man's touch. He still yearned for the pleasure that consumed his consciousness every time Lucius touched his Dark Mark. It was a comfort to know that he was cared for, provided for...

But it was an empty, shallow comfort. Almost a lie. Lucius did not truly have his best interests at heart. It was time Severus fended for himself and made his own way in the world.

***

26 February 1981

It had taken him a while to screw up his courage to actually leave. Severus suspected Lucius had somehow infused their sex sessions with an addicting charm -- as though he hadn't expected the hero-worship to last. Well, Severus thought ruefully, he had been right.

He packed lightly, taking only his books, a few robes, and the money he'd earned on the sly, pinched an old, little-used broom, and made his way to Hogwarts.

END