Devil's Pet Part IV: A Winter's Tale

By Ratwoman

Ratwoman@unicum.de

Disclaimer: They are J.K. Rowling's people.

Fandom: Harry Potter

Rating: NC-17, slash

Pairing: Severus Snape/Sirius Black; Severus Snape/Voldemort

Summary: Severus Snape and Sirius Black finally get over their enmity.


Devil's Pet Part IV: A Winter's Tale
By Ratwoman
Ratwoman@unicum.de

When Harry entered the Great Hall with Ron and Hermione for the Christmas dinner, he was certain, his fifth Christmas at Hogwarts would be the best ever. The reason was the shabby looking man with the big black dog at his side, who was looking around with a nostalgic smile.

"Professor Lupin!" Harry shouted and run through the Hall. "You here?" he said, then, gazing at the dog, added: "Is that..." noticing Lupin's warning gaze, he said: "er, ... your dog?"

Ron and Hermione joined them, also greeting Lupin heartily.

"Dumbledore invited me to come over for Christmas." their former DADA teacher explained. "And since it's two weeks until the next full moon, I had no excuse to decline the offer." he added jokingly.

Suddenly Lupin's ‚dog' barked. Turning around, Harry saw at whom: Professor Snape had entered the Hall and was making his way to the table. For a moment he stopped and glared at Professor Lupin and Sirius with a raised eye-brow.

"Good evening, Severus." Professor Lupin said politely.

Snape did not even answer when he passed them.

If possible, Snape had been even nastier than usually last term. He had even succeeded in making Neville run out of class crying in the middle of a lesson. Afterwards he had given Neville detention for leaving class without permission.

Professor Lupin sighed and looked rather sorrowful after Snape.

"Snape is getting worse each year." Ron said confidently.

Lupin smiled in an almost sad way. "Never judge people before you know the whole story, Ron." he said mildly.

"But," Ron frowned, "he's just a bitter old bastard."

Lupin grinned, but said reprovingly: "Is that a way to talk about your teachers?"

Before Ron could answer, Professor Dumbledore came in and called everyone to dinner.

Beside Harry, Ron and Hermione, there were only three other kids who stayed at Hogwarts over Christmas: one spectacled Hufflepuff third year girl and two Slytherin boys, a sulky looking one from year six and a suprisingly friendly first year. Harry was sure he would change after a few years in Slytherin.

Dumbledore beamed at everyone and said: "This Christmas, I have the joy to tell you that we have a guest: most of you will remember Professor Lupin." Everyone looked pleased to see Lupin, everyone except Snape, who was staring darkly at his empty plate. Smiling especially at
the Slytherin boys, Dumbledore added: "I can guarantee you that we have plenty of time until the next full moon, so there is no need to worry your parents that we have a werewolf at Hogwarts this Christmas. Now, enjoy your meal!"

With this words, the plates filled magically.

Harry was excited to know that his godfather was here, but wondered when he would be able to talk to him. He also was worried, because Sirius was still on the run, what if the Dementors found out that he was here?

However, he forgot his worries over the delicious and ample food. During his second refill of mashed potatoes and turkey, Harry noticed something strange: the dog who was Sirius stood up, went towards Snape and sat down beside him, looking expectantly up at him. Judging from
Snape's face, he was as surprised as Harry about that. Then Snape almost jumped when the dog rested his head on his lap. Harry was looking worriedly around the table. Most people did not know that Lupin's dog really was an animagus named Sirius Black and were looking rather
amused at Snape and the dog, just Ron and Hermione, who knew that it was Sirius, looked rather puzzled.

With a wry smile, Snape took a big slice of the turkey, waved it in front of the dog's nose and threw it on the floor beside him. It worked, the ‚dog' stepped back and started gorging down the meat.

"You should give your dog more food, Remus." Snape said. "He's already begging from strangers."

"Oh, he's eating all day, Severus," Remus replied, "one day I will starve because of him."

Snape smirked, without any doubt at the prospect of Lupin starving.

***

Later that evening, Harry was sitting with Ron and Hermione in the Gryffindor common room.

Hermione was looking very thoughtful. "I guess there is a lot of trouble ahead of us."

"Huh?" Ron made, "we just had a wonderful Christmas dinner, Lupin and Sirius are here for a visit, and you are smelling trouble?"

"Just last summer, you-know-who came back." Hermione said with a frown, "it's been rather quiet until now, but of course he-who-must-not-be-named will be making plans. And so is Dumbledore. He must have invited Lupin and Sirius to hear their reports and talk over some strategies."

Ron rolled his eyes. "What use is there for us to be worried about something that may happen in _months_?"

"But we have to be prepared, Ron, and judging from the nervous wreck Snape has been lately there is a lot ahead of us."

"Snape a nervous wreck?" Ron called, "Sorry, Hermione, but the Snape I know is an evil bastard."

"'Never judge someone before you know the whole story, Ron.'" Hermione repeated what Lupin had said earlier.

Harry kept out of their discussion; as usually, he had to agree with Hermione's logic, but he shared Ron's feelings.

Suddenly the portrait hole opened, and Professor McGonagall stepped in: "Mr Potter, Professor Dumbledore wants to see you in his office." she said.

Usually, being called to the headmaster would make Harry very nervous and afraid that he might have done something wrong; but this time, Harry was sure that he just wanted to give him a chance to speak to Sirius. So Harry almost run to Dumbledore's office.

Indeed, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black, in human form, were sitting over a cup of tea with Dumbledore when he came in.

"Sirius!" Harry called happily.

With a broad smile, Sirius jumped up and hugged Harry. Sirius was quite good-looking now that it had been more than two years since his escape from Azkaban.

"How have you been, Harry? How is Quidditch? How is school?" Sirius wanted to know everything at once. Harry was engaged in deep conversation with Sirius while Lupin and Dumbledore were merely smiling and listening, until someone knocked at the door half an hour later.

"Come in!" Dumbledore called.

The door opened and Snape entered. His gaze travelled suspiciously over Lupin, Black and Harry.

Sirius grinned at him and said: "Thanks for the food, Severus!"

Snape glared darkly at him: "Don't expect me to scratch you behind the ears the next time you do that, Black!"

"That would really be a surprise." Dumbledore said merrily. "Now, Harry, if you excuse us, we have to confer something."

"See you tomorrow, Harry!" Sirius said with a smile.

***

Dumbledore smiled at the three men when Harry had left the office, inwardly worried whether they would be able to work together. "Sit down, Severus." he said and pointed towards the chair next to Remus. Snape sat down, not without glancing suspiciously at the werewolf.

Dumbledore sighed inwardly. As expected, Remus was the most co-operable of the three. He was not sure yet who would be most stubborn: Sirius or Severus.

"As I already told you last summer, you need to be able to work together. Severus, would you please start by informing these two about the results of your spying?"

Severus sighed and said: "There's not as much to refer as I hoped for. The Dark Lord does not trust me as much as he used to."

Remus and Sirius were actually looking quite concerned at Severus. "But there must be something." Sirius said. "It can not all be in vain." Dumbledore was surprised at the
real sympathy n Sirius's voice.

If possible, Snape looked even more suspiciously at Sirius. Dumbledore knew now which one of the two was most stubborn. Then Severus hesitatingly started to refer what he knew or could guess about Voldemort's plans. "That's all." he said when finished.

"Not bad for someone whom Voldemort does not trust." Remus said smiling. Dumbledore was quite happy with the efforts Remus and Sirius took to get over their enmity with Severus. Severus was less obliging, but to his natural distrust in people was added immense stress this year. He could be found out to be a spy any second, so he constantly was in mortal danger. But Dumbledore also suspected that something had happened to Snape when he rejoined the Dark Lord, something he didn't tell him. Of course he never pushed the topic, but it made Dumbledore
sad that Snape didn't trust him enough to tell him.

Dumbledore turned to the other two men. "I've send you to gather up the old crew. How far have you succeeded?"

"Arabella Figg is waiting for further instructions, as are Mundungus Fletcher, Isabella Manto and Diffidens Ditch and no one knows where Marge Audax is." Remus replied.

"Not dead or in Voldemort's hands." Severus said. "I would know about it."

"Well, Marge Audax often disappears for months." Remus said. She was a research scientist for rare subtropical herbs. "No need to panic because she has not shown up yet."

"Now that everything is settled," Dumbledore said, "merry Christmas!"

***

Later that night, Snape was sitting in his quarters at the fireplace, drinking a cup of moulded wine and staring into the flames. Remus Lupin and Sirius Black were back in his life, the only two people who knew what had happened the night he returned to the Death Eaters. Had they told Dumbledore? Would they tell anyone?

The meetings with the Death Eaters after the gang rape were not as difficult as Severus had feared. Well the first time he had to reapparate had been terrible. Voldemort seemed strangely relieved when he apparated. "Good to see you, Darkling." he said. "I was worried that we might have killed you."

Snape just wished he would stop calling him Darkling.

But as had to be expected, the Death Eaters were snickering and murmuring behind his back. The worst of them was Macnair. At the end of their first meeting, he walked up to Snape and said in an oily voice: "Could you do me a favour, Severus, and keep on doing or saying things that will annoy the Lord? I'd so much enjoy to fuck your arse again."

Severus reacted quickly, grabbed the bulge between Macnair's legs and called: "Deminue!" Snape watched with satisfaction Macnair's eyes widen in horror when he recognised the curse he used on him. It was a very powerful hex that would shrink the body parts touched to a tenth of its former length; and it was permanent. Macnair would not fuck anyone ever again.

At that moment the Death Eaters realised that it was better for their health to pretend that the night on the graveyard had never happened.

A knock on the door pulled Severus out of his thoughts. Who would come to his quarters at this hour? There was hardly anyone visiting him so it must be... Severus crossed the room and opened the door. Yes, it was Lupin with his ‚dog'.

"What do you want?" Snape barked.

"We wanted to give you your Christmas presents." Remus answered.

"My what?" Severus asked. He noticed that Sirius was carrying a basket in his snout.

"Christmas presents." Lupin repeated calmly. Sirius pushed Snape aside and went into the room. With an apologising smile, Remus followed.

Snape sighed and closed the door behind them. "What do you really want?" he asked.

Sirius returned to his human shape and put the basket on the table. "Why do you treat us as if we were some kind of demons from hell?"

"If you were demons from hell I'd send you back to where you came from." Severus answered. "So, what do you want?"

"You." Sirius said, "if you're ready."

Severus had actually wondered whether he had just dreamt that Sirius had confessed something about being in love with him. Obviously not.

"Um, I just wanted to give you a present." Remus said quickly.

Snape glared at him. "Why?" he asked.

"It's Christmas, for Christ's sake!" Remus replied impatiently. "People give presents to their friends at that day."

"And since when are we friends?" Severus replied.

"Have you ever been told that you are incredibly stubborn?" Remus asked.

"Albus tells me so about ten times a day." Snape answered. "Which reminds me, what did you tell him?"

Sirius and Remus looked helplessly at each other and then at Snape. "You were there, Severus."

"What did you tell him before I came into the room? What did you write him in letters?"

Remus shook his head in a tired way. "Nothing about you. If he knows what happened when you returned to the Death Eaters, then not from us."

Severus sighed in relief: "I think he assumes that there is something I did not tell him."

"Of course, he knows human nature," Sirius threw in, "maybe you should tell him..."

"No!" Severus shouted. "He must never know!" No one must. "There is enough on Dumbledore's conscience without knowing the exact circumstances of my welcome back."

"He will never know." Sirius replied, looking earnestly at him. "Not from me or Remus."

Severus relaxed a bit. He still felt uncomfortable with them around. They knew too much and they had been enemies for too long.

"I don't have presents for you." he said.

Remus shrugged. "You couldn't have known that we were going to drop in. Unless Professor Trelawny saw it in her crystal ball."

"No, but she told me that she has read in her cards that

something dreadful will happen around Christmas."

Remus did not reply, just opened the basket Sirius had put onto the table and took out a wrapped gift. "Be careful, there might be something dreadful inside." he joked.

He left Severus no choice, he'd have to take the present. Severus quickly ripped the paper apart and found a book: E.A.Poe, Spirits of the Dead.

"It's Muggle literature." Remus said, "but you will like it, it's very gloomy."

"Thanks," Severus said. A book was an ok present, quite neutral.

Without a word, Sirius took another present out of the basket. Severus unwrapped it just as quickly and held... black silk briefs?

"Did you buy them for me or for you?" he asked.

Sirius actually blushed. "Stupid idea, wasn't it?"

"Yes." Severus replied.

Sirius looked deeply disappointed. "Maybe we should go now." he said.

"If you want to." Severus answered. Then he found himself adding quickly: "But you can stay for a glass of wine, if you want to."

***

They were avoiding serious topics while sitting at the fireplace and drinking wine.

Remus read out the poem "The Raven" of the book he had given Snape: His guess that Snape would like Edgar Alan Poe was quite accurate; he listened with closed eyes, totally absorbed in the rhyme.

Sirius watched Snape listening, being totally absorbed with the view.

"That's beautiful." Severus said, when Remus had read the last lines and closed the book.

"Indeed," Sirius replied, gazing with fascination at the potions master.

Remus smirked, while Severus gazed in slight puzzlement at Sirius. He was not used to being looked on like that. When he had been with Voldemort, he had more been looked at like one might look at his favourite cat. Nowadays the Lord was more looking mockingly at him, even in bed. Voldemort insisted on his sexual services, and the Dark Lord's orders were nothing that could be refused. After all that had happened, Severus felt nothing than disgust when with Voldemort.

Could it be different with Sirius?

Remus noticed with amusement that Severus and Sirius were staring at each other as if mesmerised. He yawned demonstratively and said: "I'm so tired. I think I'll go to bed now."

"Do you want me to go, too?" Sirius asked Snape.

"No." Snape just answered.

"Have a wonderful night then." Remus said smiling and left.

*

Severus neither said anything nor moved, so Sirius decided to take the first step, walked over to Snape and straddled his lap.

Severus was looking up at him, hardly hiding his nervousness behind a mask of calmness.

"You know that we can stop anytime." Sirius said.

"No," Severus replied with determination. "We won't."

At these words Sirius felt blood rushing to his groin, fighting hard the sudden urge to rip Severus's robes off his body. But he knew, he had to be more careful than he was used to, so he just passed his fingers through Severus hair for a start. Still Severus was just looking at him.

"It's been a while for me." Sirius said out of lack of anything else to say.

"Not for me." Severus simply replied.

Sirius decided to take things further by framing Snape's face with his hands and kissing him, gently brushing his lips. After a moment Severus gave in and pliantly returned the kiss. From a gentle licking it soon grew into a playful fight. Sirius felt Severus's hands opening his robes. They broke the kiss when he was pushing his robes off Sirius's shoulders, and Sirius wriggled to help him get them off his body. With a small triumphant smile Sirius noticed the admiring look Severus cast at his bare chest. Sirius almost had his old form back, and obviously he still could seduce people.

Sirius closed his eyes and threw his head back when Severus ducked down to lick and nip the skin of his chest, moving his skilful fingers along his back.

Sirius held still, enjoying the feeling of being held and caressed. It had been so long. With a smile he thought that Snape had been lying when he had said he had no Christmas present for him.

After a while, Sirius started opening Snape's robes as well. He was lighter build than him, being rather more lean than athletic. Sirius just loved what he saw. Diving down, he licked along Severus's long neck, down his shoulder, nipping the smooth pale skin.

Severus closed his eyes, shivering slightly. It was different than with Voldemort. Sirius was not necessarily gentler, but ... different. Actually Sirius was getting wilder each second, rubbing his body against Snape's, biting down slightly on each inch of skin he could reach. Not as cold and controlled as Voldemort.

Severus passed his fingers through Sirius's hair, admiring the full softness, while Sirius slipped off his lap to kneel in front of him, his tongue moving down his stomach. Sirius continued opening Snape's robes, revealing his underpants.

"Stop!" Snape gasped.

Sirius looked up at him with an expression as if Christmas had been cancelled.

"Bed!" was all Snape could get out.

"Where?" Sirius replied.

Severus pointed and they stood up and stumbled to the bedroom, getting rid of the rest of their clothes on the way.

***

Severus felt at peace when he woke up in the morning. He hadn't had one single nightmare this night. Sirius was right, they got fewer by the time.

Severus turned onto his side, resting on his ellbow and gazed at the sleeping man beside him. Sirius was simply beautiful, the hair, the face, the body... His eyelashes formed dark bows on his not too pale skin, his nose was straight and just the right length for his face, his lips...

The night had been wonderful. To feel skin on skin, to feel Sirius's hands caress his body, to feel his lips and teeth, to move his own hands over Sirius's athletic form...

Sirius stirred and woke up. How could his hair look so smooth after one night's rest?

Sirius looked at Snape and smiled. "Morning." he said.

Severus dived down and kissed Sirius wildly, letting his hands travel over the beautiful body beneath the sheets.

"Now, that's a nice way to wake up." Sirius said when Severus left his mouth and moved his lips along his neck instead.

***

Remus was not surprised that neither Sirius nor Severus showed up for breakfast. After a quick meal, he went outside. It was snowing, the Hogwarts grounds were covered like under white sheets. Which reminded him on Sirius and Severus. Remus was glad that they had found each other but he also was a bit jealous. Not because he wanted to be with one of them - he was not even gay - but because they had someone. Remus hardly had time to bond with people and the few one night stands did not really fill him. The typical problem of singles.

Remus was pulled out of his thoughts by a small, black clad figure approaching him. "Professor Lupin!" he called.

"Morning Harry." Remus said smiling.

"Where is... your dog?" Harry asked.

Remus smirked. "He is talking things over with Professor Snape." What an amazing dog he had!

"Why that?" Harry asked.

"They have a lot to clear up, Harry." Remus said.

"Aren't you afraid they are going to kill each other?" the boy said smirking.

"Not really." Remus replied. Oh dear, if Harry knew...

Just then a big black dog ran towards them, barking and wagging its tail. Remus grinned. Sirius seemed to have had a great night indeed.

Sirius circled them barking and run to a small grove, signalling them to follow him. Sheltered by the trees Sirius turned to human form.

He was grinning all over his face.

"Did you talk things over with Severus?" Remus asked innocently.

"Oh yes," Sirius replied, "we've been talking all night."

'I bet so.' Remus thought. Harry was gazing suspiciously from one to the other as if guessing that there was something they did not tell him.

***

Sirius thoroughly enjoyed the following couple of days. When he was sure they were unseen, he could spent some time with his godson and get to know Harry better. Harry was a fine boy, much like his father, though more modest. And if one was to judge by the friends he'd chosen, then
Harry had made an excellent choice by Ron and Hermione.

Sirius spend every night with Severus. It was pure bliss. He just regretted all the wasted years when they'd been enemies. Not that Severus was especially friendly to him now; he was the same sarcastic bastard Sirius had loved to hate. And with the same fervour Sirius had been used to detest Severus he adored him now. Severus was just perfect for him.

***

"Remus and I are leaving tomorrow." Sirius said sadly one evening lying in Severus's arms.

"I've got some Wolfsbane in bottles." Severus replied. "I improved the receipt, it will keep longer. It should suffice for two full moons."

Sirius frowned at Severus: "That's all you have to say about it, 'I've got some Wolfsbane'."

"Yes."

Sirius sighed. Severus really could drive one insane.

The potions master however moved under the blanket and licked a wet trail down Sirius's chest to his stomach, lapping his navel before moving further down. Sirius gasped and raised his hips as Severus nipped the skin of his thighs, ever close but not touching his growing erection. Indeed, Severus really could drive one insane.

***

The morning Sirius and Remus left, Severus received a message from the Dark Lord saying that he expected him in the evening. Severus read it with unease, the notes usually meant that he requested his sexual services.

During breakfast, Remus conferred whispering with Albus. Severus guessed he was getting last instructions. Sirius, in dog form of course, was sitting near Harry, Ron and Hermione, letting them give him the best pieces of breakfast. Severus shook his head. He would never sink so low and behave like a pet.

Snape smirked in self-irony when he remembered that his nickname under the Death Eaters was The Lord's Pet.

Remus smiled at him over the table and Severus caught himself smiling back.

After breakfast, Severus followed a few steps behind when Remus and his 'dog' went to the Hogwarts gates, accompanied by Albus, Minerva, Harry, Ron and Hermione. Leaning on a column, he watched Remus shaking hands with Albus and Minerva while Harry was hugging Sirius. It was a strange feeling to watch them say goodbye, so close to pain. He had not fallen in love with Sirius, had he? No, that was out of question!

Remus gazed at him and was about to go over to him. Severus quickly turned on his heel and walked back into the castle. The last thing he wanted right now was talking to anyone.

***

"You wanted to see me, Milord?" Severus said after apparating in Voldemort's quarters.

"Good evening, Darkling." Voldemort answered. He was sitting in an armchair not far away from the bed in the middle of the room. The Dark Lord pointed his wand at him and said: "Enoda sutura!"

The seams of his clothes dissolved and his robes fell off, leaving him standing naked. Severus really hated that spell.

"I really love that spell." Voldemort said. "On the bed, face down." he ordered.

Severus obeyed, hoping the Lord was not up to a longer session.

"Vinculum!" he heard him hiss, felt silvery robes winding around his arms and legs, tying him to the bed. The Lord knelt on the bed beside him, making him shudder as he moved his fingers over his back. Then Severus heard him murmur something and saw a bottle floating in a circle
around the bed, held by the Lord's will, dropping some liquid on the floor. When finished, the bottle flew into the Lord's hand and he applied some liquid on Severus's back, drawing some signs and murmuring words.

Severus swallowed hard. This seemed so familiar... exactly the same spell the Lord had used to bind him 20 years ago.

As back then, Voldemort penetrated him and rode him, jerking him off with one hand. Severus came the same moment as his Lord, trying to hold back the tears quelling in his eyes. He tried to tell himself that it had many advantages when Voldemort installed the same binding spells again. They were not strong enough to control his will, just his body would crave the Lord's touch. And that would make it easier to sleep with him. And the Lord possibly would trust him more, so he could gather more information.

All that did not change that he hated the control Voldemort was gaining over him.

***

To be continued