Title: Across the Ocean

Author: Uris

Rating: NC-17

Fandom: Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix

Harry/Draco

Notes: This is my first Harry Potter story. Write me offlist is my English is poor. I'm only a stupid American.

Summary: Draco plans to leave London because he fears the Death Eaters, especially his father.

Archive: yes.

Feedback: yes. Tell me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong so I make the story better.



Across the Ocean
by Uris



As Draco put his passport into his pocket, he remembered that Potter mentioned having a distant relative in the States; his Aunt Petunia didn't want him for the summer after his seventh year and did a search on the Internet and found a second cousin once removed still living or was it a third cousin twice removed, not that Draco cared. Before Harry had believed that his Aunt and Cousin Dudley were his only living relatives on his mother's side.

Draco only knew that he needed to escape from the wizard world now that his father had escaped prison since he would never bow down to his father and never take the mark of the Death Eaters. Everyone but Harry Potter wanted to pretend that Dark Lord didn't exist by not mentioning him by name. Harry, who had defeated him five times, wasn't afraid to say that name and not act like the evil that came with that name didn't exist. Draco admired Harry for his courage when it came to You-Know-Who but he didn't say that name just the same.

However, Draco now that he was graduate from Hogwarts his father wanted him to take his place as a Death Eater and told him Voldemort was alive although no one had saw You-Know-Who for close to a year. People may have denied Voldemort's existence, but they weren't afraid to attack his supporters, which included Draco's parents. Draco admitted he was a coward not to take sides, but at the same time, it took courage not to succumb to his father's wishes.

His mother gave him a bag full of galleons and helped his pack a trunk. She supported the Death Eaters, but at the same time, believed that her only child needed to make his own choices in life. "Where are you going?" she whispered hoping the privacy spell stayed in place.

"I don't know. I don't even know if I can send you an owl once I get there," Draco said.

"I wish you luck." Narcissa Malfoy whispered.

Draco went to the Burrow and knocked on the Weasley door. He hated asking them for help, but he couldn't exchange his galleons for pounds until morning. Hermoine hugged Draco at the door; wasn't she supposed to be staying with her own parents? "I'm surprised to see you."

"I won't take the mark," Draco said. "My mother told me to go." Draco was bracing himself for a curse as he touched his wand with his right hand. He never trusted Hermoine.

"I know it's been hard on you since you're father has escaped from prison," Hermoine said. "No one will harm you here."

"I suspect my father will look for me. I'm going to need to flee London and I can't use a portkey. Magic can be traced," Draco said.

"Do you have a passport?" Hermoine asked.

"Yes. Harry mentioned them once as I told him that I was never going to be death eater like my father. He said a passport made it possible to use muggle transportation to travel. I got one shortly after my eighteenth birthday since my father has escaped from prison I couldn't be too careful," Draco said.

"Are you learning about muggles?" Hermoine asked still standing in the doorway. Did the cowardly Weasleys send her to the door so she could persuade Draco to stay elsewhere?

"I know how to use the underground and I can use a phone," Draco said. "Are we going to talk in doorway all night or can I come in?"

Hermoine moved to the side. Arthur Weasley approached him. "You can't stay more than one night. People heard your father threaten you."

"I'll be gone early in the morning. All I need is to be able to exchange my galleons for pounds," Draco said. "I caused your family enough grief." Draco didn't want to sleep on the street so he decided that he better suck up to the Weasleys. He didn't make many friends at school; the students in his house weren't his friends. They feared him at times and felt sorry for him at others.

"Sleep in Fred and George's old room," Arthur said. "I want you and your things gone by morning."

Molly came over to her husband. "Don't be so hard on the boy."

"His father threatened to kill him and he's still at large. He has never done anything nice for our children and their friends at Hogwarts," Arthur said.

"He needs our protection," Molly said. "Let me help your bag."

"I can manage a simple spell to levitate my bag," Draco said.

"Allow me. Your father might be able to trace your magic," Molly said.

Draco nodded. The fat, red haired woman wearing an apron over a worn housedress was right. His father was far more powerful than he was. Draco had got E or better on all his O.W.L.'s but when it came to have actually magic he was a dud. He blamed his parents for all that inbreeding between purebloods. The best magic was found in halfblood and even mudbloods as strange it sounded. Potter and the Dark Lord were both halfbloods and considered the most powerful wizards. Potter didn't believe it, but he was still getting stronger. If Draco took the mark of the Death Eaters, he would always be used by stronger wizards. He wanted to be someone and being a slave wasn't an acceptable option. Slytherin wasn't an evil house; it was the house for the craftiest, most ambition wizards. Harry Potter should have gone there, but he wanted to be in the house with his new friends.

Draco watched his trunk drop in bedroom that once belonged to the twins. The narrow room had a large dresser and wardrobe. There was no closet. The bunk beds were made neatly both covered with green slightly faded quilts. Some poor Weasley relation probably made them with love. Draco was surprised that the twins didn't take the handmade quilts with them. He heard rumour that the joke shop was doing very well and the twins probably brought all new bedclothes. Draco opened his trunk found a pair of pyjamas and went to sleep in the lower bunk. Draco usually slept with many pillows, but he was so tired that he had no problem sleeping on one well-worn feather pillow.

Draco woke before light and walked down to the kitchen. Mrs. Weasley was making breakfast with Ginny. "I'm sure you're hungry," Mrs. Weasley said.

"Absolutely," Draco said.

Ron strolled into the kitchen. "What is that git doing here?" he asked.

"He's our guest," his mother said.

"Malfoy, did they catch your father, yet?" Ron asked.

"Not to my known," Draco said. "Not that it is any of your business, but I want him back in Azkaban more than you do." Draco looked at his shoes instead of Ron Weasley. Ron Weasley was wearing sneakers that looked like two other Weasleys had worn them before him. The jeans
under Ron's rob were tattered around the ankles. The twins weren't sharing their new found wealth with their youngest brother, but that wasn't Draco's problem.

"What are you doing here?" Ron asked as he helped his mother put breakfast on the table.

"Just passing through," Draco said. "I'm leaving London as soon as I can get pounds."

"The bank opens at nine," Ron said. "Don't let the door hit on your arse on the way out."

"My father says that if he finds me without a Death Eater's mark on my arm, he will kill me. Unlike my father, I don't want to be anyone's slave," Draco spat.

"Where are you going?" Ron asked.

"What the fuck do you care?" Draco sat at the table and ate his eggs and toast.

"Shit, I don't," Ron said. "Eat your breakfast and get on with your miserable little life."

Hermoine apparently wasn't an early riser during the summer break. Hermoine's long hair looked like she just woke up but when did it not and why wasn't she staying with her parents, the dentists? "Draco, I'll assist you at the bank and we can talk at a coffee shop in London."

"You mean outside Diagon Alley," Draco said.

"I have some pounds on me and if your father is looking for you, it's best we leave the Burrow as fast as possible. London proper has millions of people while there are only a few thousand wizards in all of England."

"I understand," Draco said.

"I'll camouflage your trunk so no one will touch it while I help you find your way to safety," Hermoine whispered.

Draco didn't like trusting the ugly Mudblood girl, but what choice did he have. Hermoine knew muggle customs and he was better off being in a community of millions than a few hundred with his father and possibly other Death Eaters looking to kill him. Hermoine waited outside the
bank as Draco got muggle currency. Hermoine then had the seemingly invisible trunk follow them out of the Borrow and into London proper. In the underground while no one was looking, Hermoine restore the trunk to being visible. "We'll go to Heathrow and find you a plane to New
York or Newark," Hermoine whispered. "But that bag in your trunk and wrap inside some clothes."

Draco did, as Hermoine said since carrying a large amount of money would attract attention and that was something Draco wanted to avoid. "Sure. I don't think anyone followed us out of the wizards' district." Draco saw no one that he recognized. He dragged the heavy trunk onto the train. "I hope we don't need to make many transfers."

"One or two," Hermoine said. "I can use a spell to lighten your trunk for a short time."

"And if someone is looking for magic."

"Both of us are authorized to use magic. Only unauthorized magic sets off alarms."

"We're in a Muggle district. No magic. If I'm going to hid for any length of time, I'm going to need to learn how to live without magic." Draco had only been out in muggles' London a handful of times and he was still in awe of the number of people. He didn't want to admit to Hermoine that the crowds frightened him. The underground wasn't like wizard transportation: there was the loud annoying voice saying, "Mind the gap", the cars shook and squeaked, and there were all these strangers that sat next to you.

"If your father is able to trace magic, there would be hundreds of people in London using it at one time and he isn't likely to find you."

"Yes, but he probably expects for me to take muggle transportation out of here."

"You could stay at a hotel a few days under a fake name."

"I want to get out of here."

"New York has nearly as many people as London and if you include the surrounding area, more. You'll have to find Harry by email. Mrs. Dursley only has an email address for Robert Smith; she felt it would be safer that way." Hermoine wrote out the email address.

"I want to go on the plane today," Draco said. "The United States has 300 million people and I'm not making contact with any wizards there."

"Except Harry," Hermoine teased.

"I'm not dragging this thing all day. Let's get a taxi to the airport," Draco said.

"We'll go to lunch and then I'll flag you down a taxi," Hermoine said. "After that you are on your own. My parents are expect me home sometime today."

"Thanks, Hermoine," Draco said. "I'm sorry that I called you all those names." Draco wasn't but he was enjoying her company at the moment and he didn't want to be in this large muggle infested city by himself. Draco wondered how much his father knew about muggle transportation. Did he even know that he got a passport mailed to a post office box? He knew that he was using his own name to buy tickets but would his father know how to find the information. There were all these security laws and he hoped only the muggle police could search lists of people that left the country and not someone that was looking for his adult child. Oh well, even if the airline squealed, there were 300 million people in the States. His father would just find a dead end.

Hermoine joined Draco at a coffee shop after they left the Underground. "I'm only a few streets from my parents' house," Hermoine said. "This is as far as I go. I'll wave you down a cab; then, I must be going."

"Thanks for all your help."

"There is an Internet café two blocks down and on the left. You can email Harry."

"I don't know how." Draco never used muggle technology. To him, it was more magic than magic.

"I'm set you up with an account and show you how to send email." Hermoine dragged his trunk using a lightening spell; she wasn't ruining her back for Draco. "We can get coffee and pastries there."

"I should have a flight number and know what plane I'm going on first," Draco said.

"If you had plastic, we could do that over the Internet."

"What is plastic?" Draco asked.

"Don't worry about it. I don't have enough on mine to buy you plane tickets or I would order you them and have you give me the cash."

Draco followed Hermoine to the Internet café and ordered them each a coffee. Hermoine opened Draco an account on Yahoo. Hotmail was more secure, but she doubt that other wizards were Internet savvy. She gave him a vague user name so even if someone was looking; they wouldn't find him. Hermoine wasn't about to explain the anonymity of the Internet to Draco. She wrote his user name and password a scape of paper with a pen that didn't require an inkwell.

"That's neat," Draco said.

"Have it." Hermoine gave him the ten for less than a pound pen.

"No inkwell," Draco said.

"Some muggle inventions are better than magic ones," Hermoine said. "I gave Harry your email address and told him to expect another letter when you have a flight number and time. Play with the computer a moment."

"How?" Draco asked.

"This is a mouse and this is a keyboard. You type words into the computer to write letters." Hermoine pulled up a blank letter.

Draco never saw a keyboard before so he had to look for each letter. Draco managed to type the first line of the chant that Slytherin team sang to make Ron Weasley unable to play Quidditch. "This isn't as easy as it looks."

"There are typing courses for the computer. I'm sure Harry will hook you up," Hermoine said. "I got to go. I told my parents today."

"Thanks for everything." Draco wasn't going to be a Death Eater like many of his old Slytherin buddies. He shuttered in fear when he saw Cabbe and Goyle had the dark mark on their arms. Draco needed to have friends outside his own house. Hermoine might have been a Mudblood, but
she was a gifted witch not only intelligent but with innate talent. Draco had the intellect but he didn't have the inborn gift; his spells and poison could be perfect in exultation but they still fizzled much of the time and for that he blamed his parents. A Mudblood, Hermoine Granger, and Halfblood, Harry Potter, both had far more innate skill than he would ever have.

Draco played with the computer a little while after he watched Hermoine leave the café. Draco fumbled through pages of the Internet learning how the mouse as well as Internet Explorer worked. He hoped there was someone at the airport to help him with this after he purchased his
tickets. Draco waved down a cab and told the driver he wanted to go to the airport. He sat in the car that seemed to sit still more than it moved feeling every bump and pitch in the road. It seemed like hours had passed when he arrived at the airport and he paid the driver. The cab driver even told Draco how to buy a ticket at the airport. He hoped muggles everywhere were this helpful.



Chapter 2

After finding a fair secluded space, Draco pulled out a wad of bills from his bag and hid the rest Inside his trunk. He went to the long line for International flights and purchased the ticket using his passport and the cash in his pocket. There was a seat available on the six o'clock flight but it was in business class; for first class, he would need to wait two more days and he didn't really want to stay in England any longer than necessary. He took the seat in business class, his bag was checked in and he hoped that no one would steal the money he was hiding in it. He needed find something to do until the close to his departure time since staying in the airport would make him more likely to be found.

Draco purchased a digital watch from a shop in the airport. He would pawn the windup locally; his father could have put a tracking device in it. Unfortunately, he didn't have the magic necessary to find tracking devices that his father implanted. Why did he have to be a weaker wizard than his dad? The gods were unfair. Draco should have got rid of the watch at the Weasley house; how could he be so stupid. Draco took a cab to the shopping district; he had time before his plane and all he had to do was board. The ticket said to leave an hour and a half for boarding International flights so he had to be back at four-thirty for his six o'clock flight and it was around two so he had plenty of time.

Draco found another Internet café and emailed to the address Hermoine gave him the flight information. In the new email account, there was a letter. Harry wrote that he was waiting by the computer and he would wait for the flight information. Another letter arrived in a few minutes. "I'll be at the airport to meet you. HP."

Draco wrote a letter back. "I'm looking forward to seeing you." Draco felt better now knowing that someone had received the letter although it wasn't the same as an owl. He hoped that Harry Potter would really be in New York when he arrived.

Draco ate a sandwich at a pub and drank a couple of beers before heading back to the airport. He found that he didn't need to be there that early and brought a book to read while he waited to board his flight. So far, muggle travel seemed pretty easy. You stood in line a lot and people looked up things on their computer. A ticket was like a portkey and got you where you needed to go.

Draco looked at himself in his green tee shirt and muggle style jeans in the mirror. He never left England before and he was afraid. What if Harry Potter wasn't on the other side of the ocean? Potter was never one of his buddies. He could have written that he would be there and had no intention of showing up. Draco often acted like he didn't care if Potter lived or died. He knew that Potter didn't like being famous for living as a baby. It wasn't anything he done that made him live. His mother cast the protective spell. Harry was just an eighteen-year-old boy like himself.

Draco read his book on the flight. He never read many muggle novels; his parents strictly forbid it. He tried reading the few his mother had but her dark, erotic novels weren't his taste. He picked a Terry Pratchett novel that Hermoine was reading after she had taking her first N.E.W.T claiming that she needed to read something ridiculous after such a stressful test. He rather enjoyed the inane humour and would pick up another when the plane landed. Draco laughed when he was asked if he had any food in his luggage as he went through customs. He was also asked how long he was staying and he said that his return flight was in a month. He didn't feel like adding that he wasn't necessarily going to be on it. The wait at JFK going through customs seemed to take forever, but it would be worth it if he saw a friendly face at the end of it.

Finally, he met Harry Potter. Draco, exhausted from the flight, hugged his school rival. "It's so good to see you. I didn't know if you would really meet me."

"This is Robert Smith," Harry said.

"Bob," the brown-haired bloke, wearing casual trousers and a button down shirt, said. "I'm Harry's second cousin. When my parents died, I thought I had no relatives. When I was eighteen I started looking for relatives on the Internet. I found Petunia Evans in England and learned that Lily had died leaving an infant son and Petunia had married Mr. Dursley." Bob put the trunk on a cart and pushed it to his car in the large multilevel parking lot. "So this is you're first time to the United States."

"I hear New York City is nearly as large as London," Draco said.

"Harry mentioned that you were rather secluded at the boarding school that you both attended," Bob said. "It's a long drive back to Maple Shade. Draco, tell me about yourself."

"Nothing much to tell. I'm an only child. I went to boarding school from age eleven to eighteen," Draco said.

"Religious school?" Bob asked.

Draco didn't know what Harry had told him so he didn't answer. It was a religious school in a way since many muggles believed witchcraft to be a religion. It was more than that. It was a subculture. Draco didn't know if purebloods could have children that were muggles but he often felt that way when he couldn't make the simplest charm work. Did he even have enough magic to be considered for Hogwarts if he had been muggle or Halfblood birth? He longed for a world where it didn't matter. "What do you do for a living?"

"I run heavy equipment. Harry is applying for a student visa because his current visa is only good for the summer. I'm his only relative outside his aunt Petunia. I would like him to stay longer," Bob said.

"Good money in that," Draco asked to make small talk, not that he cared one way or another.

"It's not bad. I'm a bachelor so I don't have many expenses. I just got a two-bedroom apartment. Until Harry moved in, the second bedroom was for games and my computer. I'm into war simulation games. Maybe you and Harry could play the next time I invite people over for a game," Bob said.

"Bob's games take several nights to finish," Harry said.

"I was thinking that Harry could commute to Rutgers University at Camden. I've been teaching him to drive. I'm surprised that he didn't have a license." Bob quickly changed the subject.

"Many people in London don't have licenses," Draco said. "Neither of my parents ever got a drivers' license. How old was your aunt when she learned to drive?"

"I don't recall, but Uncle Vernon told me horror stories about teaching her," Harry said.

Around Bob, Draco needed to act like a muggle. He didn't want him calling him a freak like Dudley called Harry. "I hear the Underground is fantastic. My parents are rich so we had a chauffeur take us places, but mostly I was at school or trapped in the boring old house."

"Why did you come out here in a moment's notice?" Bob asked.

"My father is in prison and my mother is very rather ill. I didn't have many friends at school and I needed a place to go." Draco didn't want to cry in front of Bob.

"He was caught?" Harry asked.

"Not the last, I heard," Draco said. "I'm afraid of him."

"He can't find you here," Harry said. "The INS won't send you back unless you bring attention to yourself. There are plenty of under the counter jobs. I'm working at a bookstore and café. The owner hired me because she says that I have a pretty accent. It is money and a way to meet babes."

"The babes line up just hear him talk," Bob teased.

"My arse." Draco started laughing.

"What was your father in jail for?" Bob asked.

"Murder among other things. He belongs to this secret crime organization and he wants me to join. I told him that I won't be anyone's slave," Draco said. "I was a selfish, little git at school, but I didn't go around killing people in someone else's name."

"Your father is a hit man," Bob said.

"Not exactly." Draco didn't want to give out to many details. "He was in politics. It's rather difficult to explain. He got involved with the wrong people."

"I won't ask you about it," Bob said. "I'm glad you're away from him. Maybe, he'll be found in a week or two and you'll feel safe about going back."

"I hope so," Draco said. Now that Bob had left the major city, the highway looked like it went on forever. There were so many factories in North Jersey. Draco had never smell anything quite as awful. Perhaps, a few of Neville's poisons smells that bad, but the air just seemed to stink for miles on end. "My mother doesn't have access to a computer."

"Hermoine does," Harry said.

"I forget that her parents are dentists," Draco said. "My mother reads magazines and tends to her garden. She doesn't care for technology."

"I believe his mother is related to me on my father's side but I'm not into genealogy," Harry said.

"She was related to his godfather," Draco said. "Does all of New Jersey smell this bad?"

"The northern part does," Bob said. "People that live in this area stop smelling it after a day or so."

"I have trouble believing it. It smells worse than burning hair," Draco said. "What is that smell?"

"Oil refineries and burning garbage," Bob said. "The air is fresher in the Pine Barrens. It smells like pine trees, cedars, and marshes."

"I prefer that smell." Draco looked at the cars. The traffic going into the large city was worse than the traffic leading away. "Why do so many people want to go to New York City?"

"They work there," Harry said. "Draco and I were very sheltered at that boarding school we attended. However, we both learned how to think on our feet and do research. Draco will learn all about the real world in a few days."

"You make it sound like a cult," Bob said.

"It was," Harry said. "We were educated by separatists. They taught us only about what pertained to the few thousand practitioners."

"I'll help you get into Rutgers," Bob said.

"I tell Draco with his ability to learn that he should be at Oxford or Cambridge," Harry said. "Draco has been so protected from the real world that he doesn't even know that they are good schools."

"They must be fanatics," Bob said. "I'm glad you escaped from them." Bob explained if Draco stayed in the country illegally that he wouldn't be able to enrol in a university. However, he could use all the books at the library on the premises and sit there from early morning until late at night and in that way learn as much as a student enrolled in class, especially if he was as good at research as Harry claimed.

"My mother gave me money before I left. I have close to a hundred thousand pounds," Draco said. "I didn't know how much it was until I had to pack it inside my trunk concealed by my garments."

Bob pulled over at rest stop and parked the car away from the other cars. "You're serious about the money."

"She gave it to me as antique coins," Draco said. "I didn't know they were that valuable until I took them to a bank." Draco took out a bag wrapped by a coat in his trunk. He had put a charm that would keep airport security from going near it. The money hadn't been touched. Draco put it in the backseat and sat beside the leather bag. It was mostly in 20-pound notes that were wrapped in hundreds. "I can help pay for my living expenses."

"I assume that this money is old and not from exactly legal sources," Bob said.

Draco said, "Yeah."

"We'll hid it and put it back into the market slowly so no one is suspicious," Bob said.

"I did convert the hundred pounds I made pawning my watch to American dollars," Draco said.

"Why pawn a watch?" Bob asked.

"It could have a tracking device," Harry said. "His father is a high level spy that was double crossed the British government. All this must sound crazy to you, but Draco is in real danger."

"Without a job or a green card, no one will find him," Bob said. "There are plenty of banks that will convert pounds to dollars in the major cities. If we don't dump a large amount at once, we'll have no problem."

"What would you consider large?" Harry asked.

"I think anything less than ten thousand won't raise suspicion. Hopefully, we can find a bank that will do an exchange without a signature. Even if we have to sign with three of us going to more than one bank, it isn't likely to raise suspicion as long as we don't do it all in one week." Bob smiled at Harry. "So your little friend has money."

"I have money in gold coin as well. I inherited it from my father," Harry said. "Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon won't let me use my father's money calling it dirty."

"Is it dirty?" Bob asked.

"No, just old," Harry said. "I think some of it is marked from the eighteenth century."

"Or older," Draco said.

"Where is it?" Bob asked.

"In a safe in a bank," Harry said.

"Draco, you could help with food if you like," Bob said. "My rent is only seven-fifty."

"I know nothing about British money. What makes you think I would understand American currency?" Draco sneered.

"I don't need help with the rent. I think it's best that Harry drives you," Bob said.

"Whatever?" Draco laughed. He knew there were fancy negotiations between muggles and Wizards societies, but it was secretive and made into a joke by outsiders. Somehow, these negotiations made galleons very valuable. He suspected that somewhere muggles were using magic in their technology or did the muggle government simply pay the wizards for their silence. Ron Weasley talked about going into Muggle Relations since he didn't have the grades to go into healing. Anyway, if Draco didn't return to London real soon, he would enjoy hearing that Ron Weasley went into Muggle Relations; the boy would probably be good at it. Although most treated it as a joke, Draco was certain that it was the most important department of the Ministry of Magic.

Draco continued to look out his window as the cities turned into trees. Draco knew he needed to learn about the real world; that was where the power was. He needed to learn all he could then go to one of those schools that Harry talked about. He was eighteen and had time to learn. Now, he would go to the libraries and read as Bob suggested.

Bob pulled over at another rest stop later and they used the facilities. "Draco, I don't know what cult you and Harry were involved in, but people aren't going to attack you at the bathroom. I'll buy you some dinner. I'm a meat and potato type guy. Harry seemed to the potato only type."

"Aunt Petunia didn't feed me very well my first eleven years," Harry said. "They kept me in a cupboard under the stairs and feed me the food the rest of the family left behind. I wore my cousin's hand-me-down and since Dudley is rather fat, they never fit me right."

"Why didn't the English authorities arrest your relatives for child abuse?" Bob asked.

"As bad as Harry had it, I would have gladly traded places with him," Draco said. "My family has money, but there is no love. Harry was ignored and neglected while I was abused physically and emotionally."

"Why doesn't the British government put that old wicked cult to an end?" Bob asked.

"They have money and power. Besides, they are International. They are so secretive that only people they want to know their existence will ever know," Harry said. "There has even been whispered from the top levels about killing all outsiders. Perhaps, the few in the British government aware of their existence are smart to keep quiet."

"I'm sure that Harry will get a student visa. I'm his only living relative other than the Durleys and they abused him," Bob said. "Lily's mother was my father's cousin so it a bit of a strength, but Harry and I looked at the genealogy and we definitely share blood."

"You have the same green eyes and dark hair that never looks combed," Draco said. Bob was a large muscular bloke nearly six foot while Harry was more slender, with strong developed muscles from Quidditch. Harry was a rather good-looking bloke, no longer that scrawny underweight boy. He looked very handsome in his red T-shirt and jeans. His dark hair was trimmed just above the collar and he had on small metal frame glasses not the plastic black frames that screamed nerd.

"Headmaster Dumbledore told me that I had no living relatives so I was so excited to hear from Bob. Aunt Petunia insisted that I spend the summer with him," Harry said.

"I have no other relatives myself. My parents died when I was a teenager in a gas explosion in Camden. My mother was working at the factory where it happened and my father was picking her up for lunch. I was put in the foster care system while the social workers lied that people were trying to find a relative to care for me," Bob said. "I should be in a hurry to marry but I only date occasionally. I've been on my own too long."

"Don't you like girls?" Draco asked.

"Love them, but most don't like me. I'm quite a loner and I don't know the right thing to say to girls," Bob said.

"No one does. Harry used to make Cho cry by just looking at her," Draco said.

"And you had Pansy eating out of your hand," Harry said.

"I dated Luna for almost a year. Harry was lucky to manage two dates with a girl," Draco said. "I'm bit of a book worm and I don't have much time for dating."

"Neither did I. Cho came after school politics and homework. Bob, I'd love to tell you what Draco and I are, but you have to promise me not to tell people," Harry said.

"I don't want to know," Bob said as they left the rest stop and headed back to his car. "I'm just glad to rescue Harry from one summer of abuse. Harry was so glad when we mapped the family tree and he saw that we shared blood although our closest relative was Harry's great-great-grandparents." No wonder the Ministry of Magic missed it. "Harry is my cousin and I don't care how many steps removed he is."

"I'm glad that Harry has found a friend," Draco said.

"I'm just saying that I want you and Harry to feel free to stay as long as you like -- no questioned asked," Bob said.

"Not because Harry and I come from old money," Draco said.

"Of course, not. Because Harry is a relative and I was told that I had none for so long," Bob said. "No talk about that."

Finally, they arrived at the town that Bob lived. He told Draco to unpack in the morning since he had to be on the road crew early in the morning. "You and Harry can talk if you keep it to a minimum."

"No problem," Draco said. "Thanks for taking me in. You saved my life."

"I prefer to sleep near the window so you can take the side near the door," Harry whispered.

"I should take off my shoes and climb into bed. Harry, I'm warning you. I'm a restless sleeper," Draco said. "Unlike Weasley, I never needed to share a bed with my brother."

"They only shared beds when relatives stayed over," Harry said. "I kick and suffer from nightmares. I would wake everyone in the house."

"I'm not surprised with all the shit that you have been through," Draco said. "Bob seems like a cool bloke."

"He is." Harry lightly brushed the hair off Draco's forehead. "It's got to be very late for you considering you just added five hours to your day."

"I slept on the plane." Draco put his hand on Harry's face a moment. "Kick off your shoes and jeans and get into bed." Draco kicked off his shoes and took off his jeans. He could sleep in his shorts one night. He didn't want to open the trunk and disturb Bob. Draco climbed into his half of the full-size bed. He laid as close to the edge of the bed as possible and closed his eyes.




Chapter 3

Draco woke finding Harry's arm wrapped around his chest. Harry must have seen him as a warm blanket as he slept. Draco wasn't going to allow himself to believe that his school rival wanted him; that was just too weird. Draco carefully pulled Harry's arm off him as he made his way to the loo. He opened a door to a linen closet before he opened the one to the bathroom. Draco needed to get his razor and other personal hygiene stuff from his trunk. He needed to take a shower after being pressed against a sweaty stranger for many hours; he would get Harry and himself first class tickets on the way back.

"Use any towel," Bob shouted. "I'm on my way out. Harry will help you settle in."

"Thanks," Draco yelled back.

"There is plenty of food. Help yourself. We'll grocery shop after I get off work. The bus service out here isn't very good and I don't want you spend your money on a cab." Draco heard the sound of a door closing so Bob must have left.

Draco took a hot bath in the rather small tub. Draco washed his hair with the shampoo that Bob had in the tub. It lathered well, but it didn't smell as nice as the stuff that he normally used. No matter. Draco wrapped himself in a towel; he was clean. Draco pulled the trunk into the room Harry and he were sharing at the moment, which had a nice size closet and a rather large dresser. "I can live out of my suitcase until we buy me a dresser." Draco put on briefs then a T-shirt and jeans.

"I use less than half and there is plenty of closet space." Harry got out of the bed. Draco couldn't keep his eyes off the rather sexy young man in only a pair of shorts and an athletic shirt. Harry had quite a nice chest and his arms were solid and muscular. "Don't stare at me. I don't mind if you mix your clothes with mine. I think we can tell whose is whose."

"I'm just overwhelmed. I never lived outside the wizard district before," Draco said. "Of course, I'll unpack. Harry, I feel like I'm intruding on your life."

"I'm not going to lay back and allow you to become a Death Eater against your wishes."

"I rather die first." Draco put his underwear and socks in an empty drawer.

"Then, I saved your life. I feel by coming here that I turned my back on the wizards' world." Harry sat down on the bed.

"You don't own them anything after they called you crazy for a year."

"You believed that I was crazy and lying about your father and the other Slytherin dads."

"I didn't want to believe it. I blamed you for my father going to prison, but you were only trying to do the right thing."

"And Sirius died anyway," Harry said.

"I want to do something great and being the pawn of the Death Eaters isn't it. Do you really think if I read books in the muggle libraries that I could go to Oxford or Cambridge?" Draco seemed to recall that they were the best English speaking universities in the world.

"You're clever enough. I have all this magic but I don't have the brains that you have. Since I only have a fake Canadian driver's license, I need to be careful when I drive. I think we shouldn't give you lessons until I get my International driver license or a student visa so I can get a New Jersey driver's license." Harry put on the same jeans and shirt that he wore the night before.

"We don't need to go for a drive," Draco said.

"I'll take you to a bookstore and we can start your education in muggle literature. Draco, the world is open to you. You're young and intelligent."

"You must have books in this flat," Draco said.

"A number of them. I like mystery novels myself. The problem with them is that you don't know enough muggle history to appreciate them." Harry started to hang Draco's trousers in the closet.

"Hermoine likes muggle fantasy novels." Draco smiled at Harry.

"I'm not much of a cook so if you want to eat more than toast and fruit, we'll have to go out," Harry said.

"The house elves always cooked for us but it can't be that hard."

"It isn't hard. Actually, I find it boring and I lose my place like I used to do in potions class. I often forgot if I added an ingredient. I would lose my place with all those steps. Snape was always so loud and brooding. He would just walk pass my cauldron and I would lose my place. It wasn't until after I took remedial potions that I realized he wasn't that scary after all. I still lost my place but Snape looking at me wasn't enough to make me fumble."

"I glad it helped." Draco smiled at Harry. Harry was so beautiful when he smiled. Those green eyes just seemed to light up the world. "Now that we have the trunk emptied of clothes, can we find a place to hide the money?" Draco put the several volumes of text on witchcraft on the floor of the closet among the unsorted bags of papers, books and role-playing games.

"Keeping it in that leather bag might bring attention to it, but then again, there are so many tote bags with only have books and paper in them that if a burglary came in here, he might overpass it."

"Has Bob been robbed?"

"No, but a few of his neighbours have. Since I'm paid in cash, I'm surprised that no one has robbed us," Harry said. "I'll find a good place to hide it. The idiots that rob in this neighbourhood might not know that it is money."

"Without the large loud bag, no one will see it." Draco put the money in a plain paper bag and wrapped it with his dressing gown and put it in the dresser.

"If no one mentions that you have money, no one will know to rob us," Harry said in a low voice.

"I understand. I have a over a hundred American dollars on me. You might as well take me to a bookstore."

"Sure. I have work this afternoon. Do you think you can handle Bob without me?"

"I'll be fine. Go to work. I don't need a fucking babysitter." Draco walked into the small kitchen. Bob had no dining room furniture. "Where do you eat?"

"On the living room furniture. Bob often watches telly as he has evening tea. Americans don't believe in tea. They eat three large meals a day, which isn't at all good on digestion. So do you want to morning tea here or at the bookstore?"

"We'll eat here. I don't mind fruit and toast." Draco took a peach from the refrigerator while Harry put a four slices of previously sliced bread into the device with four slots on the top. "So does Bob cook?"

"No. He has a half dozen cookbook but he doesn't use them. It's too much like potions to me. Measure the ingredients carefully, follow the steps and you get something different than you started with."

"I was good at potions so can I borrow his cookbooks?" Draco asked.

Harry took the four pieces of toast and put two of each plate. "There are preserves, honey and peanut butter in the refrigerator." Harry took out a jar of grape jelly. "Help yourself. Mi casa es su casa."

"You don't have to speak Spanish. It's bad enough that Bob hardly speaks English."

"They spell things a little different in their books, but after awhile you don't see it," Harry said. "The Joy of Cooking is a general cookbook that will teach you the basics."

Draco ate his toast with honey after he ate his peach then he gathered the three largest cookbooks stuff beside a small odd looking secondary oven. "I'm going to our bedroom to look at these books. You can go for a drive without me." Draco started to read about the preparation of meat. He couldn't believe he was sharing a room with Harry. Then, again, Harry should have been placed in Slytherin but he insisted that he didn't want to go to the house so the sorting hat changed its mind. If Harry had been in Slytherin perhaps, they would have been friends not rivals during their years at Hogwarts.

Draco saw tellies at the airport turned on news or weather. He guessed that they didn't only give out information but entertained the way Harry mentioned Bob watching it. Draco closed the book. He could learn about the many cuts of meat later. "Harry, I saw tellies at the airport showing news and weather."

"They also provide brainless entertainment. The news is written for the masses and controlled by the politicians. There are many shows on the telly, but most are rather void of anything that resembles intelligence. Bob has digital cable. He gets close to three hundred channels of nothing. After I get home from work, I'll show you. You can flip the channels." Harry took a remote control device and turned the telly on. He pushed a button on the remote and the channels changed. The channels changed so quickly than Draco couldn't sense anything about content on any channel. "Don't lose the remote. Bob will go crazy looking for it if it is misplaced." Harry put it on top of the large telly that seemed to be the focus of the living room.

"Sure." Draco watched Harry put on his sneakers. Draco picked up the remote control. It said channels and had a plus and minus sign. It was like magic when he pushed the button and the channels changed. Draco needed to learn how this electricity worked. He suspected that electricity was an accepted part of muggle life and it wasn't likely that Bob would have books on it. Snape would hate him for asking why did certain ingredients cause things to happen but Draco needed to know why things worked and Snape usual answer was that they just did. He wondered if the muggle world was that mysterious or were there reasons that things worked? Draco needed to go to those libraries that Bob and Harry talked about in the car. He wondered if he knew less about the muggle world than the average child.

Before Harry left the flat, he said, "Draco, I'll see you tonight. I'll answer all the questions that I can about muggles, but muggle science can fill several buildings."

Draco waved at Harry. "I'll make a list." Draco was alone in the muggle world with no knowledge of where wizard districts were in the area. If he used magic, he might find out but again, he didn't want people to know he was here. Bob said that the bus weren't anything like the ones in London. The apartment was near a major highway. There seemed to be a shopping centre in the distance, but Draco didn't have a key for the apartment and Harry mentioned that several of the neighbours had been robbed. He was stuck in the flat until Bob or Harry came home from work.

Draco returned to the cooking book and stopped reading the basics but looked at individual recipes. Each technique was explained in detail. He could practice them like he practiced potions and charms. He turned on the telly again. There were labels in the right hand corner of the screen and one channel was called food. It had to be about cooking.

Draco spent the next few hours engrossed watching other people prepare food on the telly. He realized that he was very hungry and looked at the refrigerator. There was two more peaches, a half eaten jar of pickles, some milk that looked spoiled, chocolate sauce, peanut butter, jelly, honey, a single egg in the egg carton and a small lump of butter on a tray. He ate the peaches. He didn't know how to turn on the oven and it was electric. There were numbers on the dials and an L on one end and H on the other like the television's remote it was obvious. He wondered if Bob had food that didn't require refrigeration. He found what looked like a closet door near the refrigerator. It was a small pantry. There were cans and boxes with food. Labels that said soup hit his eye. All he had to do was open the can, pour the contents in a pot and warm it. He didn't know what a can opener looked like. That wasn't going to happen. He searched his memory of the cooking shows that!
he watched. One did have a can opened by a device that looked like one of the devices on Bob's countertop. He put the can where the gears met and pushed down the handle; the can went around while sharp part of the gear cut open the can. Now, he needed a pot and a bowl to eat it in.

Draco opened the lower cabinets hoping that Bob would store pots near the oven. He found pots in a drawer under the oven. Draco put a small pot on the stovetop. He read the simple instructions on the soup can: "Don't add water, heat but don't boil." He dumped the soup into the pot and turned on the electric stove by putting it at the H. As the soup warmed, Draco found bowls one of the upper cabinets. He turned off the soup so it wouldn't boil and poured it into the bowl. There was flatware on a standing rack on the counter so he didn't need to look far for a spoon. It wasn't as exciting as wizard food but it filled him up.

Bob arrived as he was watching another cooking show. "Harry told me that you knew nothing outside that secluded school that you went to."

"I would like to learn how electricity works," Draco said.

"There are wires in the walls and wires outside and power comes from power plants. We have a nuclear power plant as well as a coal burning plant nearby. Oyster Creek makes much of the power for South Jersey. In the wires, themselves there are electrons and these electrons somehow cause the heat and light that we think of as electricity. There are plenty of books in the library about this stuff," Bob said.

"So how does it know to go on or off?" Draco asked.

"A switch. An open circuit doesn't allow power to device in question. Did you eat?"

"Some soup. I read a bit of your cooking book and watched cooking on television. It seems fairly easy."

"I come home exhausted from work and I don't enjoy cooking. Harry doesn't pay attention and burns everything," Bob said.

"I had servants cook for me at home and at school," Draco said, "but I'm willing to try."

"Sure. Knock yourself out," Bob said. "Are you up to a drive to the grocery?"

"Any warnings?" Draco asked.

"The place is huge. If you want to cook from a cookbook, you should write out the ingredients before you go. There are thousands of different items at the supermarket."

"I understand. I'll experience it then next time I'll write a list."

"Very good."

"Was Harry this weird?" Draco followed Bob to a red Ford lorry.

"He wasn't as sheltered as you." Bob waited for Draco to belt his seatbelt before he started the car.

"Sheltered. My father beat me, my mother ignored me and all I had to do after my tutors left was insult the housekeeper. My parents didn't let me leave the house until I started boarding school."

"I didn't mean that you had a happy childhood. Maybe learning to cook would be good for you. You can learn a little independence."

"My father said he would kill me unless I pledge allegiance to his secret organization."

"Draco, calm yourself. We can look around the grocery store and fill a cart with anything that you might like to try. Harry loves Pepperidge Farm cookies; he especially likes the chocolate covered ones. Harry also eats a lot of bread with jelly."

"I want to make you and Harry diner. You didn't have any biscuits or scones for afternoon tea and you don't even have a tea leaves and a proper tea spoon so I could make myself a cup."

"We have tea bags," Bob said. "We could stop for tea at the bread store before we take on the twenty aisles at the grocery store."

"Tea sounds good." Draco took a deep breath. He was still afraid that his father could be following him. What if he had a tracking device in his trunk? He would put it in the garbage so it could be taken to the dump. With any luck, the dump was far from this town. Draco didn't mean to be paranoid but like Harry Potter had found out before you aren't paranoid if they are really after you.

Bob order himself a coffee and Draco black tea as well as getting himself a cinnamon bun and Draco a scone. "Draco is your father really a spy being used by the government and an illegal organization?"

"Ask Harry. You think I'm crazy." Draco put one of his hands through his silvery blond hair.

"Harry told me that you hated each other at school and last night without much ado, you shared a bed," Bob said.

"I don't know if I hated him. I didn't like anyone. I befriended these two boneheads and they would threat the other students for me. I enjoyed being a bully, but unfortunately, the gods didn't grant me muscles."

"So you did homework for those idiots and they threatened to beat up people that you didn't like."

"Pretty much. I didn't want anyone bother me. Harry and his friends were always causing trouble for the school and the other students seem to love him for it. I never took the time to find out if Harry and his friends were worth knowing."

"So is Harry worth knowing."

"He doesn't seem like the trouble maker I imagined him to be. He always claimed that he didn't want trouble but it found him. Now that trouble has found me I believe him." Draco wished he were sitting with Harry looking into his green eyes instead of the burly guy with the same green eyes. He had trouble believe that they had five generation between them -- that hair and those eyes reminded him of Harry.

"Finish your tea and we'll conquer the supermarket." Bob smiled at the boy.

"If you smile at me again, I'll have to tell Harry that you made a pass at me," Draco said.

"I'm not gay." Bob blushed as he walked the boy back to the lorry so he could drive them less than a city block to the grocery store.

"I didn't mean any offence."

"None taken."

Bob was right about the grocery store; it was huge. There were so many choices of food. However, most seemed small like tomatoes canned by five different companies. "Are these sauces different?"

"Not much difference." Bob threw two jar of sauce into the cart.

"How do you know what you want? The people in this store pull things off the shelves so fast."

"Most people eat the same things each week," Bob explained. "Get your favourites. You'll need flour, sugar and other things for baking. We should get cocoa since Harry likes chocolate so much. We need eggs, butter, milk and juice." Draco continued to find all the things that he heard about on cooking shows that he wanted to try. He would locate recipes later. Draco also put a number of treats like cookies, chips and candy into the cart.

"The way, you and Harry put junk food in the cart, I'm surprised you both are so thin."

"There were lots of stairs to climb at the boarding school."

"He said the same thing."





Chapter 4

Harry smiled at Draco as he put the food away. Bob went into the living room and collapsed on the sofa in front of the telly. He didn't seem to care what channel the thing was on. "Draco, how was your day?"

"Boring. I watched cooking shows. I want to go to a library and read about how electricity works. I want to know everything muggles know."

"You shouldn't use that word in front of Bob," Harry explained.

"He's out of it."

"Harry, I'll make us some soup and we can talk in our room." Draco liked the idea that he and Harry were sharing a room. Harry was so sexy; why did Draco never see that before? Draco suspected that he was bi or gay for a while. He always knew what he didn't like but this was the first time that he recalled fancying anyone.

"I can open a can."

"You heat the soup as I figure out where the rest of the food goes," Draco said.

"This is a dishwasher." Harry put a few dirty dishes in it. "When it gets full, you add soap and push the button."

"Everything works at the push of the button." Draco yawned. "It must be jet lag."

"It seems that way." Harry smiled then ruffled Draco's short blond hair. Harry poured the soup straight into bowls and not using a pot. He put one bowl into the small odd-looking oven and put two minutes on the timer.

"What kind of oven is that?" Draco asked.

"It is a microwave. It is good for warming things. It heats food by microwaves. The waves cause water molecules to vibrate and make food warmer. You can read about it at the library, too. Everything in Bob's flat works by electricity except heat. We has gas heat, not that we need it in the summer." Harry took the first bowl out of the microwave and put the second one in it. "Eat your soup."

"Where? There is no table."

"Sit on the floor or at the computer desk in our room," Harry said.

"Do you mind sharing a room with me?"

"I never shared a room with Dudley. He had two rooms when I slept in the cupboard."

Draco ate the food standing up. "You didn't answer my question."

"We'll have to see. You won't beat me up like Dudley."

"I'm smaller than you." Draco smiled at Harry. Harry was almost six foot and very well built and Draco was five-nine with small bones and not much in the way of muscle.

"You have a wand."

"And it's staying in my cloak." Draco put his hand on Harry's shoulder. "I came all this way and I'm making a fool out of myself."

"Cho and I kissed a few times but it was closed lips. She put her hand on my back lightly. Before anything more happened, she would cry. Last year, I was so busy studying for my N.E.W.T.s that I hardly had time to do anything else."

Draco put the soup on the counter and wrapped his arms around Harry. "I never had anyone just hug me."

"Feels good." Harry moved his hand over Draco's face. "I can't recall if anyone just hugged me."

"Hermoine and Ron," Draco said.

"Of course. Professor McGonagall has hugged me occasionally. I think even Headmaster Dumbledore has given me a congratulatory hug." Harry looked into Draco's eyes. "It never felt like this."

"I surely hope not." Draco smiled. "Harry, we better talk in our room."

Harry took his soup from the microwave oven and ate it quickly standing up then wiped his mouth with his arm. "We can talk."

Draco sat on the edge of the bed. "Harry, I don't know what got over me."

Harry touched Draco's hand. "What are you thinking?"

"Too much and nothing." Draco put his hand on Harry's knee. "I didn't mean to be so forward. Harry, I bat for the other team."

"I figured that out." Harry put his hands on both of Draco's shoulders. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Bob is your cousin. I would be the one needing to get a ride to the airport," Draco said.

Harry leaned forward and briefly kissed Draco. "I'm flattered by your interest."

"You're gorgeous. I could look into your eyes forever. I couldn't understand why you had so much trouble getting a date."

"I put my foot in my mouth."

Bob came to the room. The door was left open. "Boys, I'm turning on the baseball game. I know it isn't cricket but we do the best we can."

"I've never seen cricket," Draco said.

"Harry is a big fan. He was telling me about a game that they played in Suffolk the day before he left," Bob said.

"My father plays golf," Draco said. "I was on track."

"He runs long distance." Harry was good at lying to save his arse; at times, he was more Slytherin than Gryffindor.

Bob laughed. "I could believe that. I'll leave you two boys alone." Bob closed the door to the small bedroom.

"Draco, you're very pretty. I should wave my wand and grow your hair."

"And how do we explain that to your cousin?"

"You would be so pretty with long hair."

"Not handsome."

"You're so pale and fragile looking. I want to kiss you so much."

"Please, do." Draco pushed his lips against Harry's lips and put a hand against his back. "I'm not fragile."

"Only your ego." Harry stroked Draco's hair with one hand as he started to snog Draco more aggressively. Harry's other hand went to Draco's back pulling him in closer. Harry lay back on the bed. "Ever since you emailed me, I've been wanting to shag you."

Draco ran his finger through his rather short hair. "I look shaggable." He lay beside Harry.

Harry put his hand on Draco's face. "Definitely, you're very pretty and laying in bed with me."

"Harry Potter, have you even kissed a boy before?" Draco wanted to scream that the world had gone mad but perhaps it was only Harry Potter that was nutty.

"I want to kiss you again." Harry put his thumb on Draco's pointy little chin. "You're beautiful and we're a thousand miles away from Hogwarts."

"You know how to turn a fellow's world upside down." Draco smiled at Harry.

Harry kissed Draco's forehead. "I hope in a good way. Can I kiss you again?"

"God, yes." Draco looked up a Harry and closed the space between them. Draco pressed his lips firmly against Harry's. Harry's lips opened and he slipped Harry a bit of tongue. Draco put his hand on Harry's back. This was too good. Draco shouldn't have asked Harry the question about kissing a boy. This was the first time he snogged a boy. He had gotten into another boy's pants before but he never played tonsil hockey with another boy. Draco's finger dug into Harry's long thick dark hair. Finally, breathless Draco pulled away; he had never been kissed like that. Draco knew that Harry didn't kiss Cho like that or she wouldn't have run away crying.

Harry swept his hand under Draco's chin. "How was that?"

"Incredibly." Draco snuggled against Harry. "I have to trash my trunk; it could have a tracking device."

"Can't you find them?" Harry asked.

Draco shook his head.

Harry pulled his wand off the nightstand. "Your shoes."

Draco took them off and put them in the rubbish bin. "Anything else."

"Toss the trunk in the dumpster. Why take the chance? Most likely, your father can't track you from across the ocean. These things tend to have a limited range," Harry said.

"Why toss good shoes?"

"If he has tracked you to JFK," Harry said.

"Understood." Draco put the shoes and the trunk in the dumpster for the apartment complex.

"I'll buy you new shoes in the morning." Harry pulled the dirty socks off Draco and put them into the laundry basket.

Draco went to the kitchen and made tea. Tea bag were convenient and the tea didn't taste that bad. "Bob, do you want anything from the kitchen?"

"I'll have cup of tea," Bob said. "Harry, you didn't tell that you were queer. I should have known when we met Draco at the airport; he's as camp as a row of tents. No wonder, you never brought any of those lovelies that you talked to at the café back here."

"The birds at the café like to hear me talk that is all," Harry said coming into the living room. "I don't have to defend my lifestyle choices."

"I believe it is legal in Jersey not to rent to someone over their sexual orientation," Bob said. "I'm not losing my apartment because you're shagging your boyfriend."

"Give Harry and I a month and we'll find another place to stay." Draco waited for the teakettle to whistle and poured three cups of tea. He picked up a box of shortbread biscuits in one hand and two tea cups in the other. "Harry, he'll calm down."

Harry closed the bedroom door. "There are boarding houses and other options. I make three hundred a week at the bookstore. I could work more hours."

"We take the pounds with us," Draco said.

Harry put his arms around Draco. "Join me in bed and let's forget about my cousin's threat."

Draco stripped down his pants and got on his side of the bed. "No one loved me before."

"I never said that I loved you." Harry kissed his cheek.

"You didn't have to." Draco cried silently.

"Cho, now you." Harry rolled to the side of the bed and turned his back to Draco.

Draco put his hand on Harry's shoulder. "After all that has happened and all the nasty things I've said to you, you care about me."

"Fuck." Harry rolled to face Draco. "I care about you. I told you could come and live with me. I didn't expect to feel the way I feel for you."

"What way is that?" Draco wrapped his arms around Harry pressing his body against Harry's large and more muscular one, moving one of his legs slowly against Harry's leg.

Harry put his thumb under Draco's lip and planted a slow kiss on his lips. "Like this. You're so beautiful and I want to make love to you."

"I'm yours." Draco kissed Harry's neck and then moved down his body.

"Not today. Just hold me." Harry kissed Draco's neck.




Chapter 5

Harry was on the computer while Draco slept; he must have still been sleeping off the jet lag. "Hermoine wrote us. There is a wizard community in the Pine Barrens. They have offices in the no longer used part of Cherry Hill One. The school is in Bucks County, PA. The wizards here own a few farms and live as simply as possible. It isn't like there are old families in America."

Draco read the rather long letter that Harry summarized. "Sounds great. She got meeting times for witches and wizards to meet and talk about spells and living in the real world. Do you have a broom?"

"I was going to take a strangely designed broom that is almost useless for sweeping on a muggle airplane," Harry sneered.

Draco went to the kitchen and opened a cookbook and found all the ingredients to make pancakes. Bob had already left for work, leaving a few dirty dishes in the sink. Draco put the dishes in the dishwasher as he waited for bubbles to form on the first pancake. "I insisted Bob buy
real maple syrup," Draco shouted as he flipped the first pancake in the frying pan.

"Smells good." Harry went into the kitchen wearing only a towel; his long black hair was still dripping.

Draco heard a wind-like sound coming from the bedroom as he continued to make pancakes. "Are you working today?"

Harry shouted over the noisy machine. "At noon. It's seven now. We have plenty of time. Bob works from 6 to 2 most days."

"He wasn't home until after five," Draco shouted.

"He puts in overtime when he can," Harry said. "They pay him by the hour and extra hours earn him time and a half on top of his regular salary."

"He said that he didn't need money," Draco shouted.

"Everyone needs money. He wanted you to know that he wouldn't take your money. Many muggles have pride and will only spend money that they earned."

"There are as many rules for muggle societies as they are for Wizard ones." Draco put the pancakes on a plate.

"I have a library card. We can take out a few books about muggle inventions or I can show you how to ask questions on the computer and find out how things work that way."

"The computer."

"The computer connects you with many libraries, many people's personal sites and many business sites. I can show you how to find educational materials. You can read basic information from the computer. Bob prefers Netscape as a browser." Harry must have turned off that loud machine then came into the kitchen a few minutes later dressed with his hair dry.

Draco handed him a plate of pancakes, syrup and a fork. "You could have dried your hair with magic."

"I'm used to using muggle methods during the summer. I couldn't even mention magic in front of the Durleys."

"After tea, teach me how to use the computer. Would you like to teach me how to use the coffee maker or should I boil water for tea?"

"Tea is fine."

Draco sat beside Harry on the sofa. "Maybe we should find a boarding house. At least, they would have a kitchen table."

"We're only here for the summer. Aunt Petunia is supposed to email me my test scores. I need O's in almost everything if I want to be Auror."

"You won't do it."

"Probably not. I would love to play Quiddich professional then to go to a muggle university part-time and start a small business," Harry said. "Would you go in with me? Fred and George are doing so well with their joke shop."

"We could meet the wizard and witches here and find out what they do to survive. Maybe they play Quiddich and have a couple of brooms we can borrow." Draco tried not to get syrup on himself while eating in what he considered an unnatural position.

"They never even heard of cricket and that is a muggle game." Harry ate the rest of his pancakes. "Are you in love with me?" Harry, with syrup dripping on his chin, smiled at Draco.

"No one has ever loved me."

"Maybe you can find love here." Harry put the two plates into the dishwasher.

"With you?" Draco looked at the dishwasher and it seemed close to full so he added the dishwasher soap, closed it and pushed the button.

"That would be nice." Harry gave Draco a toothy grin. "I'll wash my hands and I'll show you how to ask the computer questions."

"Hermoine said there are programs to help me learn the keyboard."

"I can set you up with one of those too. You can use it a few hours while I work."

"That sounds great." Draco washed the pan that he used to make pancakes. "After I wipe the counter, I'll join you in our room."

Harry typed ask.com in a small white at the top of the Netscape window. "You can phrase things at this website as a question." Harry typed in the space before the word ask. "How does a dishwasher work?" "Ignore the stuff on the top of the page that is advertising. Web results is what you want. The first one looks like what we want: "How Dishwashers Work." Harry moved the mouse and the title of the article changed colour. "The first part of the article is about the motor and pump system." Harry got out of the chair in front of the computer.

"This is great." Draco sat in the single chair in front of the computer.

"I'll find a chair so I can sit next to you and help you find articles until I have to leave for work." Harry left the room.

Draco started to read the article about the different parts of a dishwasher. Draco clicked the back button by moving the mouse until was squared off. Harry watched him type another question in the space that the first question was. "How does electricity work?" Draco turned toward Harry. "This should keep me busy all day."

"If you have any questions write them down and I'll help you find the answers," Harry said.

"Sure. There is so much that I don't know."

"I felt the same way." Harry kissed Draco's cheek. "I'll be in the other room reading if you need me."

"Thanks." Draco watched Harry left the bedroom. He continued to read articles for a while until he became thirty and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. "Harry, the shit about electricity is neat."

"Great," Harry said. "There are so many questions that you can ask."

Draco typed, "Why is the sky blue?" He clicked on the web result that repeated back the question; the other web sites didn't read like they answered the question. This stuff was fascinating. He wondered why wizards' schools didn't teach it. Bob was right in a way; he was sheltered from learning how the world worked. It didn't matter now. He was going to learn all he could about how the world worked and not accept the answer because it does.




Chapter 6

Bob arrived back at the flat before Harry did. "Draco, dude, I got you a key." Through the open bedroom door, Bob threw a key chain onto the bed. "Lock the place up before you go anywhere."

"Thanks, mate," Draco said. "I'm made some sandwiches."

"Thanks, man." Bob went to the kitchen.

"They are in the Frigidaire," Draco said.

"Harry suggested that I take you to the library." Bob sat in the second chair near the computer then started to eat his sandwich. "I'm sorry that I blew up last night. It's cool that Harry has a boyfriend. He's so nervous around people."

"He was very popular at school, everybody's mate."

"So are you and Harry involved with some weird religious sect? Some organization that both the Catholics and Protestants hate, but somehow managed to keep itself secret from most of the world."

"In a way, we're witches. Actually, males are called wizards." Draco took his wand out of his cloak hanging in the closet. "Let's see. A simple spell." Draco turned the light off in the room and closed the drapes. "Lumos." A light extended from the tip of his wand. "It usually doesn't last long. Harry has more magic than I."

Bob took a slow deep breath then opened the drapes. "Harry can do great magic."

"Some people think so." Draco laughed slightly. "Our school prepared us for jobs in the section of the world that wizards live. It taught us nothing about how the outside world works unless we took an elective about muggles, what we call people without magic."

"Do you dislike muggles?"

"I did before I got on that plane. Now, that I see all you do without magic, I'm impressed. The Internet is amazing all that knowledge at your fingertips if you can ask the right questions. Science is incredible. I want to learn more about technology." Draco hoped that he wasn't babbling.

"Do you want to learn more from the computer or would you like to take a few books out of the library?" Bob asked after finishing his sandwich.

"Most of the sites that I read where written for children. I want to know as much as you did when you graduated secondary school," Draco said.

"You will in time. You have only been here two days; give it time."

"I need a program to teach me to type," Draco said.

Bob went through a pile of small cases containing discs; "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" was on the label of the disc that he inserted into the computer. "This CD will teach you to type. Just follow the simple instructions."

"Thank you. I know you're uncomfortable because I'm a fairy," Draco said. "If my father wasn't planning to kill me for not joining his cause, he probably want to kill me for fancying Harry Potter."

"It's cool. I overreacted." Bob left the bedroom. From outside the bedroom door Bob said, "Do you want to play on the computer or go somewhere?"

"It's up to you."

"Harry can take you when he has a day off. Would you like a beer?"

"Certainly, mate."

"Just don't call me, love," Bob said.

"Whatever." Draco closed the door beside him and Bob then returned to computer. He started the program that Bob inserted. It asked him a number of questions and eventually he started the first lesson. It timed him a five words a minute, but he would get better. Draco prided himself on being a faster learner.

Bob knocked on the door. "Do you want that beer?"

"Of course, luv," Draco said in an effeminate voice. Draco had never seen himself as effeminate at Hogwarts. He didn't know if he needed the protection of Crabble and Goyle but they would have failed out of school without his help and he rather liked how those boneheads could scare
people off with a glance. However, now Crabble and Goyle were under Voldemort's influence and didn't have an independent thought; then, again, maybe they never did. Draco wasn't as tough looking as those two goons, but he had the same attitude. He always believed he acted like the pride of Slytherin. Slytherin was about being proud, crafty and ambitious and Bob saw him as a frightened child hiding in a foreign country afraid of his father and his father's associates. Draco
wouldn't stay long; he would learn from the computers and the libraries and go back to England with new strength; he wouldn't let anyone believe he was weak.

"Asshole." Bob opened the door and handed Draco the bottle of beer. "If you were twenty-one, I'd take you to a bar and buy you a pint."

"In England, they'll serve you if you're tall enough to reach the bar," Draco teased. Draco never been to a muggle pub, but wizards' pubs didn't serve children, but they didn't ask to see your apparition licence either. In the wizard world, one was an adult at seventeen and had all the rights and privileges thereafter.

"The States fear underage drink. It's a bunch of bull. Land of the free my ass." Bob started to drink his beer.

"Thanks, mate." Draco opened his beer.

"No problems. I can be arrested for serving alcohol to a minor."

"And you can be evicted because you have someone gay living here. I'm starting not to like America." Draco drank some beer.

"And they don't evict you for stupid reasons over there."

"I don't know. Harry uses a privacy spell on the door so the neighbours can't hear us." Draco remembered a Hufflepuff complaining that her mother was evicted for having too many cats, but her mother probably didn't changed the litter box often enough.

"The landlord did ask me if I was gay when I wanted to move in. I'm sure if I had said yes, he would have found someone else to live here. As long as you aren't disturbing the other people in the house by making loud noise or stinking up the place, the landlord should mind his own fucking business." Bob left the bedroom. "I'm going to turn on the news. See you, later."

Draco opened the cookbook and started to make a roast and Yorkshire pudding. "We should have supper ready when Harry gets home."

"Sounds good." Bob lain on the sofa. "Can you do magic to cook?"

"I rather not show off." Draco continued to cook following the instructions in the cookbook. When Harry arrived home, Draco gave him a brief peck on the lips. "Have a good day at work?"

"How much telly have you been watching?" Harry asked.

"None today. Mrs. Weasley kisses Mr. Weasley like that to say hello." Draco returned to the kitchen to finish making dinner. Draco watched real people and didn't need to watch people dramatizing imaginary situations to know how people acted.

"Smells good." Harry sat on the overstuffed chair beside the sofa since Bob was asleep on the sofa.

"Cooking is like doing potions."

"And as dull as dishwater." Harry yawned.

"I liked it." Draco huffed.

"Cook. I'm not complaining. It isn't like Bob cooks. Damn, I didn't mean anything. I would love to come home to a home to a cooked meal. That smells better than Aunt Petunia's."

"Thank you." Draco served Harry. "Should we wake the bugger?"

Harry took the plate from Draco and sat back down. "He'll only moan and groan. Hey, I like that you cooked for me."

Draco sat on the floor with a plate of food. "I never found potions boring and I don't find cooking boring."

"I'm sorry. I appreciate that you went to the effort to cooking for me. I'm an idiot."

"I enjoyed doing it." Draco started to eat.

After they finished eating, Harry put the two dishes in the dishwasher. "I'll put the leftovers away."

"I'll be on the computer." Draco went back to learning how to type. Draco stopped typing when he felt a kiss on the neck and moved his head slightly to give Harry better access. "Oh."

"Join me in bed."

"I told Bob that we were wizards," Draco admitted.

"How did he take it?"

"I'm not sure. According the dictionary, a male witch is a warlock and both male and females can be wizards."

"Semantics. It's coming into fashion to call both males and females wizards. Hermoine and Cho don't like the sexist language. A witch can be a person that performs witchcraft of either sex."

"I can fancy myself as a witch standing over a boiling cauldron."

"You're such a queen." Harry kissed Draco's neck. "Leave the computer alone and join me in bed."

"Can I touch you below the waist?" Draco turned around in his chair.

"I won't stop you." Harry wrapped his arms around Draco and kissed him briefly. "Lie beside me."

Draco closed the program he was doing, not wanting Bob to know how bad he was at typing. He was making progress going from 5 words to over 20 words. "Harry, why is the Ministry of Magic hiding the real world from us? They tell us Muggle Relations aren't important."

Harry put his hand on Draco's shoulder. "I suspect that they are very important."

"Indubitably." Ministry of Magic was known for not being up front. Draco put his hand on Harry's face. "You need to shave."

"I'll write Hermoine and tell her that Ron has to take a job in Muggle Relations. I believe the joke is that it isn't a joke."

"My thoughts exactly." Draco wrapped his arms around Harry again; this time, they both fell on the floor.

"I'm going to shave. I'll be back in a flash." Harry got up off the floor and went to the washroom.

Draco removed all his clothes and tossed them into the laundry basket then climbed into the bed and pulled the sheet over him. "Harry, I want you."

Harry closed the door and then whispered a privacy spell. There was no point in Bob hearing them. "I've never done this before."

"We'll figure it out together." Draco turned toward Harry and whispered.

Harry removed all his clothes but his boxers. "Draco."

"I'm not the girl of your dreams."

Harry climbed into the bed and moved a finger over Draco's mouth. "I'm glad you're here."

"I'm a pain in the arse." Draco snuggled against Harry.

"No." Harry moved his hand over Draco's chest. "I'm becoming rather fond of you."

Draco pressed his lips against Harry and put his hand over Harry's back. Harry pulled Draco against him as one of his hands moved over Draco's bum. This wasn't going to be a night that Draco was likely to forget.

Harry moved his mouth to Draco's neck as his hands moved over Draco's body. "Tell me if I go too fast."

"I want it all."

Harry moved his mouth lower continued to lick and suck on his new roommate's body. "You taste so good. Can I?"

"Do you have to ask?"

Harry traced a finger over Draco's shaft then he lowered his head to it and licked the drop pre-cum off the tip. "You're so sexy."

"I'm easy." Draco laughed.

"That, too." Harry licked Draco's rod then he licked the head as he moved one finger lightly over Draco's balls.

Draco tried not to scream as Harry pulled more of his penis into his mouth. Didn't Harry Potter realize that he was giving the most contemptible person at the school head? Draco closed his eyes and allowed himself to enjoy it. Harry was bringing him to the brink as Draco heard himself start to moan in pleasure. Harry had an incredible mouth. If a month ago someone told him that Harry would have his lips around his willy, he would have never believed it. "Harry," he screamed several times before Harry sucked him dry.

"Can I shag you?" Harry took a small bottle of mineral oil from off the top of the nightstand.

"Like I could tell you no." Draco rolled onto his back. "Use the back passage."

"I'll take it slow." Harry kissed his back and moved his hands slowly over his bottom. "You're beautiful. I don't want you to think that I'm using you."

"Fuck me."

Harry put a wet finger over Draco hole. "You aren't ready. There is no hurry."

"I want you."

Harry kissed Draco's back. "Relax and enjoy the ride."

Draco closed his eyes and pushed his face into the pillow as he felt a finger enter his tight opening. "Fuck."

"There is no hurry. Do you want me to do a relaxation charm?"

"I rather not use magic," Draco whispered. "My father is going to love to hear that I'm a pillow-biter."

"You don't want me to fuck you to get back at your father."

"Heavens, no. Blimey, you're dropdead gorgeous. You're Harry Potter, the boy that lived. I can't believe you want me. Harry, I didn't switch teams for you." Draco tried to relax as much as possible stretching out on the bed. "Bob took one look at me and knew that I was bent as nine bob note."

"And you have experience with boys." Harry moved his hand over Draco arse.

"Not much." Draco did it with one of Ravenclaw boys. The wizard community was small so he didn't want to tell Harry the boy's name. "I'm not a virgin."

"Be that as it may, you have to relax. You're much too tense if my finger hurts." Harry kissed his back. "We don't have to do it tonight."

"I want you."

"You'll want me tomorrow. I'm not going anywhere." Harry kissed the back of Draco's neck.

Draco turned to face Harry and moved his fingertip over Harry's scar. "Harry, thanks."

"You're special to me." Harry kissed Draco's nose. "Go to sleep."

"It's too early."

"Then, play on the computer and I'm knackered. Good night."




Chapter 7

Draco woke finding that his hair was halfway down his back. If this had happened at Hogwarts, he would have cursed Harry for doing magic to him while he slept but he just laughed; the hair could be cut or the charm could be reversed. Draco brushed it out with the heavy brush his mother packed him; it was so fine and shiny. Draco decided it would be a shame to cut it so he pulled it back in a single ponytail so it wouldn't fall in his face while he cooked. Harry was right; he was very pretty with long hair.

Draco opened the large cookbook and started poaching eggs and frying bacon. He put four slices of bread in the toaster. He was starting to feel comfortable using muggle appliances to cook. He heard Harry move in the bedroom as took the first egg out of the boiling water. Funny, Bob left dirty dishes and mess on the counter every morning as a sign that he had gone to work and there wasn't a mess this morning. Bob wouldn't have clean up so he had to still be asleep. It was
seven-thirty and Bob was out of the house by five-thirty. The only logical conclusion was that Bob had the day off. Draco would make eggs, toast and bacon for him, too.

Harry came into the kitchen after his shower. "Draco, you don't have to make me breakfast." He kissed Draco's neck from behind moving the loosely tied hair out of his way.

"I like cooking." Draco gave Harry a plate of food.

"It smells great. You're a better cook than my aunt." Harry tapped Draco's bum.

"It's new and exciting." Draco took the last egg from the poaching water.

Bob, with his hair in all directions and his eyes half closed, wandered into the kitchen. "Dude, that smells good."

"I made coffee." Draco poured Bob a cup. Harry has already poured his own.

"I'm having a few of my friends over tonight," Bob said.

"And you don't want them knowing that you're subletting to a couple of pansies," Harry said. "We'll make ourselves scarce."

"Our games can last in the wee hours of the morning." Bob started to drink his coffee. "And I don't expect you fellows to find someplace else to sleep."

"We'll keep to ourselves," Harry said.

"Harry, you met my friends. It's just that your boyfriend is a little odd," Bob said. Odd was an understatement. Bob's tone of voice told Draco that he meant that Draco was very strange and didn't want him near his friends if it was at all possible.

"I made you breakfast." Draco handed Bob the plate. "Enjoy." Draco hoped his tone carried that I hope you choke on your food.

Draco took his plate to the bedroom and ate at the computer desk. He missed having a proper table to eat his meals at. He was living here rent-free and if Bob didn't feel the need for a proper dining room set who was he to complain. Draco heard the water running so Bob or Harry must have been doing dishes.

"Draco says that some people think you're a powerful wizard," Bob said.

"I suppose," Harry said.

Draco brought the plate to the sink while Bob was watching the dishes. "Bob, ordinary people aren't supposed to know that magic exists. I was wrong to tell you."

"Does Aunt Petunia know?" Bob continued to clean the pots that Draco used.

"Yes," Harry said. "Her and Uncle Vernon hate it. They call me a freak and all my friends from school freaks."

"Draco is a freak," Bob said.

"I'm aware of that," Harry said, "but that isn't because he has magic."

"He'd be a freak if he didn't have magic. Draco, learn how to use the computer," Bob said. "I'll put your dishes in the dishwasher."

"Thank you," Draco said. Bob wanted to talk to Harry privately, but the walls of the flat were thin. Even if Draco shut the bedroom door, he could hear Bob's booming voice and he wasn't going to do a privacy charm for Bob's behalf. Anyway, he wanted to overhear Bob and Harry's argument. Draco started the typing program with the door opened a crack so he could overhear easily.

"You're friend is flaming and knows nothing of the real world," Bob said.

"I agree," Harry said. "He's a fast learner. In a week, he won't gawk at everything he sees."

"I'll let him stay." The sound of dishes moving and running water stopped.

"That is awful generous." The sarcasm in Harry's voice travelled. Draco was right; Harry should have been a Slytherin.

"Only because he's a decent cook."

Harry entered the bedroom. "I'm sorry about that."

"No problem." Draco stopped the lesson he was doing and smiled at Harry.

"You need shoes. I'll drive you to Payless," Harry said. "We can go to a bank in the city and exchange a couple thousand pounds for dollars."

Draco put four thousand pounds in his pocket, glad that baggy jeans with big pockets were in fashion in London. He put his America dollars in another pocket. "I should have more than enough for shoes."

"Shoes cost a little less than twenty dollars. I'm sure you have more than enough."

"I have almost a hundred left. Bob and you won't let me spend money." Draco took the hair out of the elastic band and brushed it straight. "So you like long hair."

"Mine touches my collar. If you don't like it, I'll reverse the charm." Harry touched the long blond hair.

"Who said that I didn't like it? Don't ever use a charm on me when I sleep."

"It looks very nice." Harry measured Draco's feet with the Branek device, a metal device with sliding parts to measure feet. "You were a seven and half narrow." None of the shoes seemed narrow enough to Draco's aristocratic feet. "We could buy you ladies' shoes or go to a more expensive shoe store," Harry teased.

"We don't need tennis shoes. The sandals might fit. Besides, can't you use a charm to make the shoes fit better?"

"I didn't bring many books on magic and I don't recall the spell," Harry explained.

"I brought my books." Draco found a pair of young men's sandals that fit fairly comfortably. "When do you have to be at work?"

"Three. We have plenty of time."

Draco brought the shoes to the till. "I need to wear them. I threw my last pair into the garbage." Draco gave the man a twenty and pocketed the change. "American money doesn't feel quite real."

"How long are you staying in Jersey?" the cashier asked.

"For the summer. I haven't decided in I want to go to Uni or find a job?"

"You should go to college; if you put it off, you'll never go," the cashier said.

Harry put his arm around Draco's shoulder after they left the shoe store. "It's up to you. I think you can do anything if you put your mind to it."

Draco stepped away from Harry slightly. "You're the only one that thinks that."

"Our teachers thought the world of you."

"I was a little brown-noser. Does Bob mind you borrowing his car?"

"Only if I forget to keep petrol in it. Let's go to the bank and get more dollars. You should have kept some of your galleons; according to Hermoine, they're good in many other wizard communities."

"You brought some."

"Only a handful."

"How does Hermoine know so much?"

"She reads a lot and she's familiar with both cultures."

"True." Draco waited for Harry to open the door of the vehicle and gave Harry the money before they entered the bank.

Harry explained that he was visiting a relative and he needed to exchange some cash since he forgot to do it at the airport. The man looked up something on a computer and struck a few keys and then counted Harry the dollars back. Harry looked at the receipt stating the number of pounds, the exchange rate and the equivalent number of dollars. "Thank you so much."

"No problem, sir," the teller said.

Harry smiled at Draco as they walked to the car. "I don't start work for a few more hours. Would you like to go to the library or see the place that I work?"

"Either one."

"That was easy. Bob thought we would have a problem exchanging your money," Harry said in the car.

"Probably if we brought all of it," Draco whispered.

"We shouldn't exchange all of it. We could be heading back to England after I get my exam results. Since you have plenty of money, tea is on you."

"Agreed." Draco smiled although Harry could see him since his eyes were on negotiating the vehicle in the car park. Draco was sure by the end of his visit his English would be corrupted by Americanisms especially for words for things that wizards didn't normally use. "Harry, I love you."

"I love you, too." Harry said those words like they had no meaning. "Why don't we go back to the flat and shag until it is time for me to head to work?"

"I won't want you to leave."

Harry drove them to a small shopping centre. "I work here." Harry walked to bookstore standing close enough to Draco to hold his hand.

A woman of mid-forties with dark blonde hair wearing clothes only slightly more fashionable than Mrs. Weasley approached them. "I'm the owner Patricia." She smiled at Draco. "You must be Harry's friend."

"Draco Malfoy," he said. "I'm staying with Harry and his cousin."

"You're accent is just darling. It's a shame that I don't need more help for the summer. I bet you're a flirt just like your buddy, Harry."

"Excuse me, Ma'am," Draco said. "May I have two turkey sandwiches and two bottles of Pepsi?"

"Of course. Harry, I wasn't expecting you until later," Patricia said. "I'll talk to the other shopkeepers I know and maybe we can get you a job, too."

"I don't know if I'll be staying all summer," Draco said. He didn't want a job until his plans were more certain.

"Help yourself to the sandwiches and soda. I'll ring you up." Patricia hit a few keys on her electronic till. "Thirteen seventy-nine."

Draco handed her a twenty.

Patricia counted out his changed as she handed it back to him. "Draco, that is an unusual name."

"I have weird parents," he admitted. "Harry, I got you a sandwich."

"Thanks, luv." Harry sat beside Draco at the same café. "Stay in our room when Bob's friends are over."

"Should I cook?"

"No, they order pizza and bring over bags of junk food. Just play on the computer and stay out of their way."

"I'll just cook for myself. What time should I expect you?"

"Around nine or ten."

"I'll have supper waiting for you." Draco touched Harry's leg under the table.

"I'll be looking forward to it." Harry got up from his chair and walked over to Patricia that was serving a few girls coffee. "I'm going to take Draco home. I'll see you in less than an hour."

"Take your time," Patricia said.

Draco walked pass Bob who was on the sofa watching the telly, his default position. "Should I make a light meal?"

"My friends won't be over until seven or eight. Knock yourself out."

Draco looked through the cookbook a little and decided to make an American dish, meatloaf and mashed potatoes. The meat would need to cook for close to an hour, which gave him plenty of time to boil and mash the potatoes. "Bob, you must have questions about magic."

"You don't use it much."

"There are rules about not using it in front of muggles, ordinary people. The Ministry of Magic doesn't want too many people knowing about magic. Besides, I'm very interested in learning the muggle solutions to problems."

"Where did you go?" Bob said in disinterested voice.

"To the shoe store, the bank and to the bookstore Harry worked. Patricia told me that if I wanted a job she would ask around," Draco said.

"That was nice."

"I rather not work until I know more about the real world." Draco continued to mix ingredients into the ground beef.

"I can understand that. As long as you cook, I have no problem with you staying here."

"I would like more pots, and utensils."

"Make a list. I'll drive you to kitchen store. We can go in the morning. I have today and tomorrow off and then I'm back to work."

"I can use my money."

"No. When you leave the stuff will stay in my kitchen so I insist that I purchase it."

"And you're going to spend hours cooking."

"I might if I want to impress a girl. You impressed Harry by cooking for him."

"I'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable." Draco mixed in more breadcrumbs.

"I've never had any queer friends."

"They just didn't tell you that they were queer." Draco smiled at Bob. "It is no big thing. I didn't tell anyone at Hogwarts that I liked boys. They made fun of me enough for being a spoilt rich kid. They already thought I was limp-wristed; why add fuel to the fire?"

"Were you and Harry at each other's throats at boarding school?"

"The school promoted this competition between houses. My house and his were always trying to outdo the other. My house picked students with the most ambitious and his house picked students that were most loyal. Harry should have gone to the same house that I was in but he wanted to
go to same house as his new friends were in and I didn't make the best first impression."

"Loyalty?"

"The headmaster decided that he showed loyalty by wanting to be placed with his new friends. My father was a rich politician so he just assumed that his son would be ambitious. I'm not. I have no particular goals at this time. Hufflepuff is for average students and the house fosters friendship; they have the best parties. Ravenclaw is for the brightest students. Slytherin is for ones from the most prestigious families and Gryffindor is for the bravest and boldest students. The
students in Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tend to be good friends while there is fierce rivalry between Slytherin and Gryffindor." Draco wasn't going to confuse Bob more by talking about the sorting hat.

"So if Harry was placed in Slytherin instead of talking the headmaster out of his decision, you would have been friends through school." Bob seemed to peak his ears as Draco spoke about the houses at the Hogwarts.

"It doesn't matter. We're friends now." Draco realized that he was making much more than two blokes could eat. "Harry can warm it up when he gets home."

"Draco. I would like us to be friends."

"Thanks." Bob was feeling sorry for him because he was placed in a competitive house and didn't have many friends at school. Draco had some friends at Hogwarts, but they tended to be of the fair-weather variety.

Draco put the meatloaf into the pan and then into oven. After Draco put the timer on for the potatoes, he started his list with the first item being another timer so he could easily time two dishes at once. He listed another two-litre saucepan, a double boiler so he could make hollandaise, deeper pan for frying or a wok, baking sheets and quite a number of utensils. He brought the list to Bob who was listening to music; Draco was surprised that the telly was off. "Bob, this is minimum of the stuff I need to cook. I could do without the double-boiler, but if I want to make sweets or fancy sauces, I'll need it."

"What do you intend to make?" Bob looked at the list.

"Basic English and American food. I'm sure Harry would like homemade biscuits for tea. Mrs. Weasley was always baking. I suppose I could do with only nine-inch baking pans if I want to make a layer cake. Harry's birthday is during the summer."

"I won't bake. You can take the baking stuff with you. I'll ship it to you as household goods if necessary," Bob said. "You really intend to make homemade cakes and cookies."

"Why not? I can follow a recipe."

"You like cooking."

"Yes. I like things that require that you follow certain steps and get a guaranteed result. Potions work as long as the instructions are follow the strength of the wizard isn't usually a factor. Harry loses his place with a long list, but I find that I like the details."

"Can I marry you?" Bob teased.

"My heart belongs to Harry."

"Your hair?"

"Harry used a charm. He has more magic than I. I could cut it or ask him to reverse the charm."

"Growing hair is fairly harmless. Can Harry do things more dangerous?"

"He could but he wouldn't. He didn't like killing small animals in the classroom. Hermoine didn't have a problem making kittens disappear, but she didn't do anything larger. My father is an evil man. He has uttered the death curse at a total strangers; I fear that he might utter it at me. I don't have a quarter of my father's power. He could kill me with the utterance of two words."

Bob put his hand on Draco's back. "You're serious."

Draco started to cry. "I'm a bloody failure."

"Harry says that you have fantastic grades and that you learn fast. Seeing what you learned in only two days, I'm amazed. Your father is wrong."

"I'll type in my room until the timer goes off. Bob, thanks for the heads up."

"Maybe you don't have to go back to your world."

"Harry and I could emigrate. I hear Australia is beautiful."

"You could face your father."

"And he speaks two words and I'm gone and there is nothing I can do to stop him." Draco went into the bedroom and asked the search engines some questions until it was time to mash the potatoes. He felt so tired. After peeling and mashing the potatoes, he looked at his watch
and set the timer so the meatloaf would finish cooking. He lain down and hoped that he wouldn't sleep through the timer for the meatloaf. He didn't fall asleep completely but rested his eyes waking easily to take the meatloaf out of the oven and to serve Bob some food. "I'm knackered. Could you put the food away when it cools?"

"Sure, man," Bob said.

Draco undressed to his pants, climbed into the bed and closed his eyes. He didn't wake until hours later when Harry tapped his shoulder. "I ate the dinner you made. It was very rude of me to change the length of your hair without asking."

"I like it. We don't have to go back to England. I'm sure the wizard community would take us in here. We could even learn another language and go someplace more exotic than Canada or Australia."

"Australia sounds fairly exotic." Harry walked over to the door closed it and said a privacy charm. "Bob's guests won't hear us if we should make noise."

"And what kind of noises are you talking about?" Draco wrapped his arms Harry.

Harry pulled of Draco T-shirt and kissed his pale, hairless chest. "I won't know."

"I'm no longer tense." Draco stretched out on the bed, tossing his clothes on the floor.

"I see that," Harry said. "We need to go to a Launderette in the morning. We can talk there or I can leave you there with a book and get you when the clothes are dry."

"You're off of work tomorrow."

Harry nodded. "We have the whole day to be together."

"I want to spend it loving you."

"You do that by just being here. Draco, I would have never taken you for a romantic. The meeting in Cherry Hill is tomorrow night."

"Make love to me." Draco pressed his lips against Harry's.

Harry undressed himself then lain on the bed beside Draco. He put his hand over Draco's naked back. "You're very relaxed." He kissed his shoulder. "You're so beautiful, lying here naked."

"Harry, I have to trust you. You're so much more powerful than I. Dumbledore claims you're equal in power to You-Know-Who and my father is weaker than him and I'm weaker than my father."

"I follow your logic, but magic doesn't matter here." Harry planted tiny kisses against small of Draco's back. "You're incredibly intelligent, witty and beautiful. I see how you're mastering the
Internet in a few days. Have you got through the typing course?"

"I'm at Intermediate level. My typing speed went from 5 to 40 on some tests. Other tests I'm still running in the twenties."

"In two more weeks, you'll be typing so well that if you had a green card, you could get a job are a receptionist. Aunt Petunia said when she was a young woman that she thought about going to America and working as a receptionist." Harry kissed Draco's back again. "Have you opened a cookbook before?"

"No."

"And you can make anything from a recipe. Many people would kill for your talent. Draco, I don't want to hear a word of self-doubt from you. You're the most talented, beautiful, charming person that I know."

"And you want to spend the rest of your life getting to know me." Draco stretched out under Harry's weight.

"The idea has merit." Harry put some oil on his fingers. "Right now, all I want to go is make you feel very good."

"You do that."

Harry moved his finger over Draco's crack and put the tip into his opening. It wasn't long before Harry was balls' deep in Draco and Draco loved every second of it.




Chapter 8

There were two men asleep in the living room when Draco went into the kitchen to make morning tea. Harry came into the kitchen after his shower. "Get a shower before Bob uses all the hot water. I'll start the coffee." Harry kissed Draco briefly.

"If I could wake up beside you every morning," Draco said dreamily.

"I'm not so great."

"You're gorgeous, loyal and always try to see the best in people. Harry, what did you tell me about cutting myself short?" Draco gave him a small kiss. "I'll make pancakes after my shower. Should I make some for Bob's friends?"

"I doubt they'll be up soon. Hurry." Harry waved his hands at him.

Draco looked at himself in the bathroom mirror as he waited for the water to get warm. He was beautiful. He discovered that he could look very masculine or very feminine just by changing his facial expressions and/or the way he held himself. He had to look stuff up on the Internet about such phenomena; damn, he was naïve. As he showered, he thought about it. Looking like a girl could have advantages. He could return to London, live with Harry in the muggle community and his father could stare him in the face and not recognize him. After they got Harry's tests scores, they would discuss returning to London. He would owl Hogwarts for a copy when they visited a wizard's village in August. Draco dressed in loose-fitting jeans and a tank top. His long hair was loose against his back. "Just admit it. I'm breath-taking." Draco touched Harry's hips as he walked past him.

"I made you coffee and toast. We can have pancakes another time. We need to get our laundry done and I want to take you to the mall."

"I can't have those baboons in our things."

"I'll put a protection spell around the money so they don't go near it. You really have no magic."

"I don't. That is why I needed to be good at potions." Draco put jelly on his toast. "It's eat standing up or in our room."

"Eat standing up. We'll go to a restaurant for dinner. I'll put our laundry into the car and tell Bob that will be gone all day."

"How much money do we need?"

"Take what we exchanged yesterday. That is more than enough. I want to take you to the mall. We'll finally get to meet some American wizards." Draco went to the computer in the room that he shared with Harry and searched for information about men dressing as women. He quickly found the words transvestism and cross-dressing and there was much information was available on the subject. Harry kissed the back of his neck. "We need to go. We have a lot to do today."

The one sleeping on the floor stirred as Draco was leaving the bedroom the final time that morning. "Potter, who's the babe sharing your room?"

Draco moved in a way that showed a very masculine arm and shoulder. "I ain't no babe." Perhaps, he was gender bending with the long hair brushed full but Draco just thought he looked damn sexy.

"He's a friend from school. He needed a place to stay for the summer," Harry said. "Carl, there's coffee in the pot and leftover meatloaf in Tupperware."

"Thanks, dude," the man said. "You could have join our game when you came in from work."

Bob entered the living room wearing only gym shorts, not that he looked bad for a man close to twice Draco's age. "I can't believe you shagged him while I had guests."

"At boarding school, you learn how to do it, making very little noise," Draco said in a seductive voice. "In those shorts, you leave very little to the imagination." Draco gave Bob a look over. "It's hot in here or is it just me?" Draco fanned himself.

"Get lost," Bob said.

"We're on our way out," Harry said. "Don't worry. I'll take him someplace air conditioned." Harry took Draco's arm.

"Have a good time," Bob said.

"Is there anything you want from the mall?" Harry asked.

"Just return the car with gas," Bob said.

"Gotcha," Harry said as he led Draco out of the flat.

Draco wished he had one of Weasley twins' extendable ears. He was curious in what Bob and his friends thought about him; then, again, it was probably better that he didn't know. Draco was glad that a bookstore was in walking distance from the Launderette. Laundry was boring and the women at the there gossiped worse than the Hufflepuff girls. A black woman that must have been old enough to be his mother started to talk to Harry. Harry dragged Draco over to her. Draco tried not to yawn too visibly.

"Do you think I'd look good wearing makeup and a bra?" Draco asked.

"Where did that come from?" Harry asked.

"I look very feminine with long hair. Don't you think I would look hot if we blurred the lines a little more?"

"Probably. I'm starting to think teaching about the real world wasn't a good idea."

"I wonder if I cross-dressed all the time, Would my father recognize me? What if wearing makeup and bra is all I needed to do to keep my father from saying Avada Kedavra?" Draco smiled brightly. "Think about it; we could get a flat in London and you could go to Auror training."

"And what would you do?"

"Go to a muggle university."

"You would need to keep a low profile."

"Do you think I could make a convincing girl?" Draco batted his long eyelashes at Harry.

"Why not? You're very pretty and you're only starting to get a beard." Harry touched Draco's face. "Can I call you, doll and babe?"

Draco blushed. At the Cherry Hill Mall, Draco purchased some makeup, a few bras, and a few juniors tank tops and tees. After Harry put the clothes in the trunk, Draco and Harry purchased several bags of cookie supplies including baking sheets, utensils, and saucepans. There was an old office building in the lot that didn't look most of the offices were used. It was the perfect place for wizards to meet. "Harry, should I put on my new clothes?"

"No. I'll just them into the car," Harry said. "I get your wand."

"I completely forgot about it," Draco admitted.

"I put it in the glove compartment with mine," Harry said.

Harry and Draco found the office building locked. "It might be like St. Mungo's and if we press our noses against the locked door, we will be transported."

A girl with cornrows wearing a robe with a school symbol unfamiliar to the boys smiled at them. "We were told that two English boys would be visited us. The entrance is over here." She walked them to window to what looked like an unused office. "I'm Cathy."

"Draco and this is my friend, Harry." Draco extended his hand to her to show her that he wasn't hiding his wand. "We went to Hogwarts."

"I'm going to Damon. It's in Bucks County. We go to it on a magic bus so no one knows it's exact location." Cathy pushed her nose against the glass. The boys followed and found themselves in a room with chairs in a circle. "The other kids will be here soon. Not many people meet during the summer."

"Harry and I graduated this year. Harry wants to go to Auror training and I'm thinking about going to a muggle university," Draco said.

"I'm graduating in two years. My parents have a pick your own vegetables farm in Cumberland County." Cathy took a chair and sat on it backwards.

"My father worked for the Ministry of Magic," Draco said. He wasn't going to tell the American girl that his father escape from prison and was now at large. "Harry's parents died when he was a year old."

"I'm the famous Harry Potter." Harry blushed a brilliant red.

"The boy that lived," the girl said in a way that told Draco and Harry that she wasn't impressed. Apparently, American wizards lived in muggle society. Only one more girl arrived so they talked about the magic community in the States versus the one in England. The first English-speaking witches (American called both male and female wizards by that name) arrived with the Virginia colony although they didn't gain much strength until the Pennsylvania and Maryland colonies had formed. Native populations had their own magic and didn't want anything to do with white man's magic. There was a Department of Magic that hired representatives from many states, but the structure appeared looser than in England. Then, again The United States was a new country. Both girls had family members that worked in magic related fields but there didn't seem to be an invisible witches' district.

"How long are you boys staying?" Cheryl, the other girl asked.

"Most of the summer. We might leave soon after Harry's birthday in July," Draco said. "Is your education strictly about witchcraft or you given the same education as muggles."

"Better than most muggles. We learn about technology and magic. I'm taking physics and calculus my senior year," Cheryl said. "I also have courses in charms, potions and avoiding curses."

"Along with my general biology class my freshman year, we're taught about magical creatures. I'm sure your classes were organized differently."

"Learning about muggle technology was an elective," Harry said. "Draco didn't know how to use the Internet or even what a telly was. I have yet to take him to the cinema."

"We could go to a movie now if you like," Cathy said.

"Sure. I have a car," Cheryl said. "We can pile in and we'll drive across the busy highway."

Draco insisted on paying for all four tickets. They saw a horror movie with bad special effects, but Draco was fascinated that muggles spent so much effort on entertainment. Harry told him that they could see movies all day on the telly, but Draco didn't like using the remote and looking through all the images. "It's like telly but larger," Draco whispered to Cheryl the girl he was paired up with.

"You've never seen a movie before?" Cheryl asked.

"I've been deprived. Harry says that they have them on all hours on the telly, but I'm too busy looking things up on the Internet to be bothered."

"They do, but watching a movie in a theatre is an experience," Cheryl explained.

After the movie, Harry and Cathy exchanged addresses both email and snail mail. "We'll have another meeting in July, but we could get together for coffee or something," Cathy said.

"Sure. I'll email then pick you up at your parents' farm," Harry said, blushing slightly.

Cheryl handed Draco a card with her email address. "Write me." She kissed his cheek.

Draco put the card in his pocket. "I will." Draco didn't have any interest in dating girls, but Harry and Cathy were sitting at a table drinking coffee chatting up a storm.

"I have to go," Cheryl said. "I have work in the morning."

"We can walk across the street to Bob's car," Draco said. "I had a great time."

Cheryl tapped Cathy's shoulder. "I have to go."

"Harry, can you drive me back?" Cathy asked.

"Sure." Harry blushed again.

Draco sat on a bench inside the large movie theatre and waited for Harry and Cathy to finish. Eventually, they drove Cathy home. Draco was glad that Harry put the girls' clothes in the trunk. Draco sat in the backseat while Cathy babbled about how much better witches' schools were to muggle schools and that she was hoping to go to Princeton since there were very few wizard universities in the United States.

Harry smiled at Draco after leaving the girl at the front door of the farmhouse. "Let's go back to our flat and shag."

"I thought it was suppose to be our day and you talked to that girl for hours."

"It's cute that you're jealous." Harry started the car. "Get in the front seat."

Draco did so. "Do you have tomorrow off?"

"I'll spend all day tomorrow with you." Harry gave Draco a brief kiss before pulled out on the two-lane road.

"I wish we could spend it in bed."

Harry stretched his arm around Draco's shoulder. "I understand that you're afraid."

"You've never been afraid. You're the boy that lived."

"Only because Voldemort didn't kill me a few dozen times. I've had many reasons to be afraid. I've never had your confidence when asking teachers for help. I really am not that special," Harry said. "Draco, I'm terrified most of the time. Voldemort, the most evil wizard of all time, wants me dead and I know I have to face him again, but I rather hide."

"I hate admitting that I'm scared."

"Draco, I'm not going to leave you. I care about you."

"If I'm going to dress like a girl, I'm going to need a name."

"Pick one. Luv, I wish I could tell you that you had nothing to fear, but the world isn't that kind. I can tell you that we'll face it together."

"That is a comfort." Drace looked at the miles and miles of tree-lined road on the drive back. The towns seemed few and far between. Even New Jersey the densest populated state in the union, there was woods and farmhouse.

Harry carried the clean clothes into the flat while Draco carried the things he brought at the mall. Bob was watching the eleven o'clock news on the telly. "So guys, what did you buy?"

"I brought some clothes," Draco said.

"No cooking supplies," Bob teased.

"They're in the car." Draco put the bags in their bedroom.

"I'll get them. You put the clothes away," Harry said.

"Making me do all the housework," Draco said.

"You're the only one that doesn't work outside the house," Harry teased before leaving the flat.

Draco put the clothes they washed away and then hung up the girls' shirts. He put the makeup in the desk drawer and the bras in with his underwear. He felt ashamed about his thoughts on cross-dressing. Draco just felt like his world was changing too fast and he needed an opportunity to catch up.

Draco helped Harry find places to put all the kitchen supplies. "Harry, I feel like everything is moving too fast."

"I felt that way the week I started Hogwarts."

"I think everyone did. Do a privacy spell on the door and let's fuck."

"Brilliant idea." Harry put his hand on Draco's shoulder. "I can't believe that part of our lives is over."



Chapter 9

Draco shaved although he only had a few hairs on his chin. He gathered the makeup then stood over the bathroom mirror. Draco started with eye makeup since eye shadow, eye liner and mascara seemed easy to figure out. He did his eyes carefully wondering if the girls at Hogwarts used makeup and honestly he couldn't remember. He knew Hermoine didn't, but Hermoine wasn't a girl that would waste time making herself beautiful. He put on lipstick and then blush. He would figure out if he should use foundation later. He knew from posing in front of the mirror that facial expressions were more important than makeup in looking feminine. However, he felt feminine with the crap on his face. Draco put the makeup inside the medicine cabinet in the bathroom; Bob would see him wearing it soon enough.

Harry brought a bra and falsies saying they were for his mother that just had a mastectomy. He loved how Harry knew so much about the muggle world. The way Harry lied; it was obvious that he was placed in the wrong house. Draco put on the bra then put the falsies inside it. Harry was right about size. Petunia must have dragged the poor boy to the lingerie store. Draco put on a pink tank top with a tiny bit of lace. He returned to the mirror and redid his lipstick and brushed his hair. He was beautiful and he didn't need to use any magic.

Draco started to make breakfast. It was before five so Bob didn't leave yet. He started the coffee and put up toast.

Bob came into the kitchen in his work clothes and rubbed his eyes. "Draco, give a man a heart attack."

"Do I look bad?" he asked.

Bob poured himself some coffee and grabbed some toast. "You look fucking great."

"I didn't put on too much makeup. I don't recall if the girls at our school wore makeup." Draco started to mix batter for soda bread. "I wonder if I can find a charm that will change the pitch of my voice. It isn't any good looking this way if I'm a fucking baritone."

"You had books in that trunk as heavy as it was," Bob said.

"A few. I wouldn't leave my charms and potions texts behind. What do you think of the name Deirdre? It means melancholy. In Celtic legend, Deirdre died of a broken heart."

"Why the makeup?"

"While I was brushing my hair yesterday, I thought I would look good as a girl. You would think wizards would expect people to transform, but Metamorphmaguses are rare."

"Metamorphmagus?" Bob repeated.

"People that can change their form. We have spells that can cause people to blend into the background, but to do a muggle type transformation would never cross their minds. I do want to go back to England and I can't spend my life thinking my father and his associates are going to kill me for secrets that I might have heard. I figured it out. I tell my situation to the headmaster of Hogwarts; he gives me a new name and I can continue my life," Draco said.

"With magic, they could see under such a simple disguise."

"They would never look. It's fucking brilliant."

"I have to get to work. Thanks for making coffee."

Draco put a timer on the soda bread and went to learn to type. Hell, he could get a job as a receptionist in London; this computer stuff was cake. He would look through the magic books that he stuffed in the bottom of the wardrobe with Bob's unsorted totes after Harry was awake.

"Babe, the bed is lonely without you," Harry moaned as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

"I'm already dressed," Draco whinged.

"Undress."

"I have food in the oven. If we start shagging, I'll never hear the bell and even if I hear it, I might not care until the smoke detector goes off," Draco explained.

"Why do you need to cook?" Harry got out of the bed. "You put on a new blouse." Harry kissed the back of Draco's neck. "You're so beautiful. Marry me."

Draco turned to face Harry. "When we get back to England."

"We can get married in Canada." Harry touched Draco's face.

"I could work on the voice or we could find a charm to make it higher in pitch," Draco said. "I brought many of my books."

"If we don't have the books, we could drive to a wizard library," Harry said. "Cathy would email the directions. Draco, it won't work; Death Eater aren't that stupid."

"They are used to looking for magical solutions. I don't have the magic to maintain a transformation spell."

"Can you act like a muggle girl?"

"I can learn. You always tell people that I'm a fast learner."

"I'm not going to be argue you out of this foolishness."

Draco kissed Harry briefly. "Let me try."

"Sure. We could always leave the country again or face your father," Harry said. "After my birthday, we'll go back to England and talk to Headmaster Dumbledore about the threats the Death Eaters made to you."

"Thanks, luv."

"You're going to have to learn to talk like a girl, not a queen."

"I have time to learn."

"You know that you're beautiful." Harry put his fingers through Draco's long blond hair.

Draco put his arms around Harry. "I don't want to be scared. My father could have fled the country and had my mother follow. We don't even get that rag the Daily Prophet here."

"What is the date on your ticket?" Harry asked.

"August 1st."

"We'll go back then in style. I can exchange my ticket for one with an earlier date and you can upgrade us both to first class." Harry kissed Draco's cheek. "We'll get a flat in London. We'll find a way to change your name. It will be fine. You'll see."

"I'm acting like a baby."

"No. I'll take the bread out of the oven. Soak in the bath. All I need is your ticket number and I can change everything on the computer," Harry said. "After my sixteenth birthday, I exchanged some galleons to pounds and put them into an British bank. Don't tell my aunt."

"I won't. Harry, I love you.

"I know you do. Draco, if you're serious about dressing like a girl, you'll need a name."

"Deirdre."

"I like that." Harry smiled at Draco.

"Deirdre Potter has a nice ring to it." Draco undressed and made himself a hot bath. The warm water helped his nerves. He hated feeling so weak and powerless. Harry said that he was special so he must have been, but he couldn't see it. Draco would keep learning to type and about computers. He would get into a muggle university in London and the world would no longer be closed to him. Draco heard the timer for the bread go off.

Harry walked over to the edge of the tub. "We'll get a place with a tub big enough for both of us." Harry put his hand in the water.

"I want to be strong."

"You are strong. I'm sorry that I never told you that I don't like raisins," Harry said.

"I'll make banana bread, next time. Do you like Madeira cake?"

"Love it."

"I'll make you one."

"Living with you I'm going to get as fat as Dudley."

"I'll make sure you get plenty of exercise." Draco got out of the bath, dried his feet and then the rest of him wrapping a towel around his long hair. He looked in the mirror. "I have to fix my makeup."

"Not yet."

"Mr. Potter, are you thinking what I am thinking?"

Harry wrapped his arms around Draco; as they were hugging, one of Harry's hand slipped around Draco's firm arse. "I love your bottom. I want to be inside it all the time."

"It's yours. Do you think we can be this happy in London?"

"Happier. What do you want to do today?"

"Lying in bed sound likes a good idea. I'd love to go to a library, but right now all I want to do is love you." Draco put a towel on the bed so his damp hair would soak the newly washed linen. He lain on his back and stretched out. "I want to see you when we make love."

After removing his boxer's and climbing into the bed beside Draco, Harry licked around Draco's sensitive ear. Draco moaned lightly as Harry nibbled on his earlobe. Draco turned toward Harry loving the attention as Harry's hands and tongue moved over his body.

"I want you," Draco whispered.

"Patience. You're quite a dish." Harry continued to enjoy licking Draco's belly.

"Go down on me," Draco whinged.

Harry fingered Draco's balls as he kissed along his thigh. Draco was going mad with desire. Harry licked the balls and fingered Draco's crack.

"You're killing me. Plant your lips around my dick."

"Patience. We have all day."

"Patience, my left foot."

Harry licked the tip of his cock then sucked gently on the head. He then placed a hand on Draco's thigh and deep throated him. Draco screamed, "Harry" and fired into his mouth. Harry then kissed Draco deeply wrapping his arms tightly around him lightly scratching his back with a fingernail.

"I could return the favour."

"I thought you wanted me inside you, fucking your pretty arse."

"I want to taste you." Draco placed his lips around Harry's cock and sucked lightly at first and then harder. Draco didn't want Harry to know that he was inexperienced as he told himself to be careful about his teeth. He licked around the head before going deeper. He didn't know how Harry swallowed him down to the root, but he could only manage a couple of inches. Harry's hands pulled his head down and he felt Harry's fingers coil through his hair. This was hotter than he ever imagined. He sucked harder wanting to taste Harry's essence while he moved one hand along the base and a finger on the other hand lightly traced Harry's balls.

"Draco," Harry screamed.

Draco felt Harry's cock tremble. As Harry fired, Draco swallowed greedily and licked the spent cock clean. Then, he kissed Harry's well-defined abs as Harry continued to put his fingers through Draco's long blond hair.

"You're so beautiful," Harry whispered still shaking from the afterglow.


Chapter 10

Draco put on the bra and falsies, then the pink tank top. "I'll fix my makeup."

"You're going out that way," Harry sounded shocked.

"I'll try to use a falsetto at the library." Draco walked to the washroom and applied makeup like he did earlier in the morning. He smiled at the girl in the mirror. Why didn't Harry want him to go out dress this way? He thought he looked pretty damn good. His arms were a little muscular for a girl, but many girls that played Quidditch lifted weights and had rather developed biceps if anything the small well-defined muscles probably made him look even more feminine. "Shit, I know I pass." Draco has always thought he had a very masculine face with all those points and angles but his face easily changed with his expressions. He had a rather pointy little nose and a pointy and hollow chin, and his cheek were a bit hollow looking, but as it went he wasn't that bad looking. He thought with the eye makeup and rouge that he looked very pretty and quite feminine.

"You look fantastic. You can't act like a girl."

Draco stepped out of the washroom. "Girls don't act differently than boys. Half the girls at Hogwarts are more manly than I."

"I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. Do your typing. I'll try to find a charm that will increase the pitch of your voice. There is no point in doing this in London if your voice gives you away." Harry, wearing only his boxers, picked up off the wardrobe's floor their charms text.

Draco sat in the chair in front of the keyboard and practiced typing. In a few minutes, he felt bored and went to the kitchen.

"You aren't going out dressed like that." Harry continued to dress.

"You aren't my mother. Actually, I was going to make some biscuits. Do you want butter or peanut butter ones? We have to buy chocolate chips when we are out."

"If your voice was an octave higher," Harry said.

"You're suppose to be looking for a charm to fix that," Draco shouted back.

"I'll look under healing. There might be something to raise the pitch there," Harry said. "Make some cookies."

"Harry, you spend two weeks here and you're talking like a Yankee."

"Bob's picking up my expressions and I'm picking up some of his. It is nothing. I'll have a proper London accent again in no time."

Draco found a recipe for 'cookies' and then collected all the ingredients. He would make butter 'cookies'; they seemed the ones to have the least number of ingredients. "It sounds funny when he says British expressions with his awful Jersey accent."

"I found a charm in our seven year textbook. It is temporary and is used as a treatment for an injury to the voice box, but it will raise the pitch an octave and make the voice sound sweeter to the ear," Harry said.

Draco returned to the bedroom. "Go ahead. If I sound awful afterwards, it's only temporary. I can stay in the flat until you reverse it or it wears off."

"There is a note that we need to see a healer for a more permanent treatment for vocal injuries. There are a number of notes warning the student not to mess with the voice box since one could do damage to the voice cords and need painful treatment from a healer to get their voice back," Harry said.

"If it works, I remember a general purpose spell in Advanced Potions that will make temporary spells more permanent in nature."

"And Snape warned us that one has to be very careful in using it."

"Snape always says that. Let's see if it works." Draco smiled at Harry.

"Not yet, Draco, bake your biscuits and I need to get something from Radio Shack first." Harry quickly put on his trainers.

"What do you need at a store?" Draco scratched his head.

"Tape recorder so you can hear how you sound. I'll make it snappy," Harry said.

Draco kissed Harry briefly. "See you then."

"Later, Princess." Harry blew Draco a kiss.

"Princess?"

"Your family sent you an owl every morning with sweets and your father brought the whole Slytherin team the top of the line brooms. He might beat you at home, but you wanted the school to believe he spoilt you."

"I'll have you know that throwing money at someone isn't the same thing as loving someone."

"I know that. It's just that you want people to treat you as royalty."

"Maybe I do. Get that tape recorder. The biscuits should be done when you get back." Draco returned to make the dough not watching Harry leave. He was turning into a bad imitation of Mrs. Weasley with his hair tied back and always in the kitchen. Harry was right. He should change his voice with a temporary spell. If he made it permanent then he would have to physically reverse it to restore his voice, which could be a problem especially if he didn't have the sufficient magic. Draco heated soup while the first batch of biscuits was in the oven. All he knew was that he needed to get back to London; hiding was never the answer.

After he put the soup in bowls and the second batch was in the oven, he went over the computer to see if Hermoine wrote back. She did. She asked about the meeting and she said that according to the Daily Prophet Lucius Malfoy had fled England and might be living in seclusion on an island off Ireland. There was speculation that he was working for Voldemort. Narcissa Malfoy was still at the family estate and had no comment about her husband's whereabouts. When asked where her son was located, she said that he was visiting a friend for the summer and wouldn't give out a name or address saying that the boy needed rest after graduating. Draco started to write her about Harry and he returning but the bell went off for the biscuits. As he was putting the biscuit on a tray to cool, Harry came through the door.

"I said that it wouldn't take me long," Harry said.

"Hermoine wrote. She scanned a copy of the Daily Prophet. My father was seen leaving the country and my mother wouldn't comment. There is much speculation about my mother. I started to write Hermoine a letter when the bell rang."

"I won't touch your letter." Harry took a biscuit from the tray.

"Eat your soup, first," Draco snapped.

"Yes, Mum." Harry finished the one in his hand then took a bowl of soup into the other room.

Draco finished the letter about returning to London and writing the headmaster for advice about hiding from the Death Eaters. After he hit the send key, Draco ate his soup. "Harry, you can read Hermoine's letter now."

"Thanks."

Draco returned to the kitchen and cleaned the dishes and countertops. "Don't tell Hermoine that I'm dressing like a girl. I might change my mind after a day or two."

"I won't. Draco, if it makes you uncomfortable, we'll find another way to hide you in London. I could always make arrangements to take my Auror training elsewhere."

"If you get in."

"That is a big if."

"If I get the grades needed, there is still passing the interview and psychological exam," Harry explained.

"I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch," Draco said. "Do you think Hermoine will forward a message to my mother?"

"I'll write her," Harry said. "What do you want her to tell her?"

"That I'm fine and I'll be coming home with a month," Draco said.

"I think we shouldn't tell her when you're coming home."

"Just tell her that I'm well. We can't have the Death Eaters waiting for me at Heathrow."

"You really want me to call you Deirdre."

"I need to start answering to it. Let's do the charm."

Harry put his arms around the smaller boy and kissed his face. "Are you certain?"

Draco nodded, a tear run down his cheek.

"Luv, we don't have to do this."

"I heard the Death Eaters secrets. I know where they are hiding in Ireland, Scotland and Germany. I memorized list of their members. I need to see Dumbledore. I can't let Voldemort rise to power due to my fear."

Harry wrapped his arms around the very frightened boy. "I have Hermoine owl Headmaster Dumbledore. He can send us portkeys to get back or meet us at the airport. I didn't upgrade the tickets yet so we have time."

"I used to believe that my father believed in me, but he has always seen me as weak."

"You aren't weak." Harry kissed the tear-covered face.

"Then, why am I crying?"

"I have nightmares about Voldemort almost every night. I feel like it is because of my failing that he's rising to power. I hoped leaving Hogwarts over a thousand miles away would help me put a better perspective on it. Why should I be responsible for saving everyone?"

"Because you lived."

"I needed to live because of a prophecy. It's like I have no freewill and I must destroy Voldemort due to this prophecy. Why did the gods choose me to be the one to do it? I've failed to defeat him five times. The powers that be should find another wizard to disperse him."

"Give yourself time."

"I have this connection to him and I feel responsible each time he uses an unforgivable curse."

Draco stroked Harry's long messy hair. "You're not responsible for what he does. I know you can feel him through your scar and he haunts your dreams, but you aren't the one hurting people. He is."

"I do the charm to change the pitch of your voice. It only last 3 to 5 days so if it makes you sound horrible, you can stay in the flat for that period. We can go to a wizard's library and find out more about changing your body. If it is possible to give people donkey ears, why can't we just make you look a little different or sound a little different?"

"Hogwarts doesn't want students to alter themselves. I'm sure those spells are in the restricted section."

"Well, we're graduates. We can get into the restricted section."

Harry sent a letter to Hermoine encrypted that Draco knew a number of the Death Eaters' secrets and he needed to see Headmaster Dumbledore. "Hermoine will relay your message. All we have to do now is wait."

Draco washed his face. "I want to go to the library and learn more about muggles."

"Here goes nothing." Harry did the charm to change the pitch and tone of Draco's voice. He turned on the tape recorder. "Speak."

Draco took a deep breath and told himself the worst that could happen is that he would need to wait the three to five days for it to wear off. "How do I sound?"

"Read something."

Draco read out loud the first paragraph of the Arthur Conan Doyle story, The Hound of the Baskervilles, which Harry suggested he read.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he was up all night, was seated at the breakfast table. I stood upon the hearthrug and picked up the stick, which our visitor had left behind him the night before. It was a fine, thick piece of wood, bulbous-headed, of the sort which is known as a "Penang lawyer." Just under the head was a broad silver band nearly an inch across. "To James Mortimer, M.R.C.S., from his friends of the C.C.H.," was engraved upon it, with the date "1884." It was just such a stick as the old-fashioned family practitioner used to carry -- dignified, solid, and reassuring.

Harry smiled then rewound the tape. "Let's hear how you sound."

Draco listened to the feminine voice on the tape. "I sound that way to other people."

Harry nodded.

"We should have recorded my voice before you did the spell."

"We'll record it after it wears off. Your voice is pleasant enough to one's ear. We could go back to our favourite pastime or go to the library."

"I'll go to the library while you're at work."

"I'll quit. I don't need the money; it was something to do to pass the time while Bob worked. Draco, we need to make plans for our return to London."

"Deirdre." Draco kissed Harry's cheek.

"We'll go to the library. Then, we'll get Chinese takeaway and find a movie on the telly to watch."

After Draco had his head buried in a book, he found that he rather enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. Harry whispered, "Princess, I'm going to tell Patricia that I might need to leave at any time and give her my notice." Harry kissed Draco's neck. "I'll see you soon."

"Love you," Draco said, still in awe by the difference in his voice.



Chapter 11

Harry received a letter by snail mail in a week from Headmaster Dumbledore. The letter read that Draco and he should eave immediately for Hogwarts and be under his protection. The letter itself was a portkey and folded in thirds without the envelope it would take them directly to his office. "Princess, we need to buy you luggage and we should get a few bungle cords to tie our bags together," Harry said out loud as a reminder to himself.

"Hermoine contacted Dumbledore," Draco said.

"Yes. He sent us a portkey in the form of a letter. He'll help us. Voldewort is building up his army for something and your knowledge can be helpful," Harry said.

"I'm not interested in choosing sides. I just want to live." Draco wrapped his arms around Harry.

"Let's go to the mall and get you more clothes and some luggage. I thought you liked to shop."

"I wanted to make you a cake for your birthday."

"You shall. My birthday is still over two weeks away. We could have our own flat in London. If not, Mrs. Weasley will send me a cake."

"I want to do something special for you."

"Bake one before we leave. Do you want to take the cooking supplies? We can buy nicer stuff in London."

"Maybe Bob will meet a nice lady and settle down."

"Or a bloke." Draco teased. Draco never gave his sexual orientation much thought. He had thought about Harry Potter while at school, but he thought the dreams were about jealousy, not a Slytherin emotion and better ignored. Draco had sex with two girls and one boy while at Hogwarts, but none of it meant more than relieving sexual tension.

Bob arrived home from his job as Harry and Draco were setting out for the mall. "Don't let me keep you," Bob said.

"We got a message from the school. We have to get there as soon as possible." Harry put the unfolded letter in his drawer holding the envelope with it. He hoped Bob wouldn't be stupid enough to touch it. Well, if he had, he would learn how strong magic really was before Dumbledore brought him back and then did a memory charm so he would forget the whole incident. Bob didn't seem like the curious sort and never touched his things while he was out; however, he did but a charm on the dresser that would prevent Bob for going inside it just to be on the safe side. "Bob, we're getting Deirdre new luggage. We'll be back soon. Deirdre made a Madeira cake. Try to leave me a slice."

"You could use a room-sealing spell," Draco whispered to Harry.

"Then, Bob will think we don't trust him," Harry whispered back.

"I don't," Draco whispered.

"Princess, it's his computer in that room and his books and games that fill most of the wardrobe. He would have a fit if he wanted something in that room and couldn't get it," Harry said softly.

"I don't need anything in that room," Bob said. "Harry, I know you have magic items so I won't touch anything."

"I don't want to see you hurt," Harry said. "Bob, would you be too angry if I sealed the room?"

"And if something happened to you?" Bob asked.

"I won't seal it," Harry said.

"I swear I won't touch anything that isn't mine," Bob said.

"Magic can be dangerous," Draco said. "Save Harry some Madeira cake. I made it for him."

"Deirdre, I don't want to see you leave. You're a very good cook." Bob went into the kitchen and he put leftovers into the microwave. "I'll miss your cooking. I loved the scones you made this morning."

Draco was amazed that Bob accepted the name Deirdre as fast as he did. Harry had yet to call him by that name, calling him Princess. The Weasleys made jokes about muggles being quick to accept things so perhaps, Draco was giving Bob's acceptance of the new name too much thought. "Thanks," Draco said. "I'll make another batch in the morning unless you prefer cinnamon rolls. I'll pick up some brown sugar while we're out."

"Deirdre, keep spoiling me like this and I'll be on my hands and knees begging you to stay," Bob said.

Harry laughed. "They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

Bob smiled at Harry. "You're one lucky dog. She's beautiful, intelligent and she can cook."

"I'm also a bloke," Draco said, wishing for a moment he could turn off the high-pitched sweet sounding voice.

Bob laughed. "One small detail. Harry, I see why you switched."

"I didn't switch. I've always been bi."

Draco laughed. "More like asexual."

"I had this crush on Cho for over a year," Harry said.

"Blah, blah, blah." Draco led Harry to the door.

"We'll talk when we get back," Harry said.

"When do you have to go?" Bob asked.

"As soon as we can. I promised Deirdre that I let her make me a birthday cake since we might still be at the school on my birthday," Harry said.

"See you around," Bob shouted.

"What do you think Dumbledore will do to help me?" Draco asked as he sat down on the passenger side.

"He'll listen and he won't turn you over to the Death Eaters," Harry said. "Princess, he'll help us."

"I should put on my normal clothes and use a scalping spell," Draco said. "You're right. Death Eaters will see through such a simple disguise."

"Maybe not. You said that Voldemort has them under some kind of influence. If so, they might not see anything more than he expects them to see. We'll talk to Dombledore about it." Harry started the car. "Do you like how you look in girls' clothes?"

"I try not to think about it too hard. Since I've been staying with you and Bob, I've been living an unexamined life," Draco said.

"Princess, it isn't a hard question. Do you like what you see in the mirror?"

"For crying out loud." Draco didn't want to think about how it felt. He had mixed feelings about it. He didn't think that men were better than women and he enjoyed his femininity, but at the same time, it felt like he was betraying who he was. He was heir to the Malfoy manor and needed to have a son to carry on his name, not that his name had any respect with his father being an escaped convict.

"I know you have a lot on your mind."

"I didn't want to think about it. I've been keeping my mind busy learning about the muggle world and reading their fiction. I might type fast enough to get a job as a receptionist." Draco laughed. "When it all becomes too much for me, I pick up a book and get lost of the world of 221B Baker St."

"You need to think about what you want. Princess, you make a passable girl although you could use some dresses or ladies' jeans."

"I'll pick up a few summer dresses, a new trunk and a few suitcases," Draco said. "I can get some ladies' jeans at Harrods."

"Tell me what Voldemort is like," Harry said.

"He has been inside your head and you fought him five separate occasions," Draco said.

"I haven't seen him through his servant's eyes. I need to know a way to destroy him. I keep believing that I have and he gets more powerful."

"I know that he uses a form of imperius curse," Draco explained, "stripping his followers of freewill. In the form he uses, they believe they have freewill, but they don't. They are unable to go against his wishes. My father thinks he is acting on his own, but he isn't. I'm so afraid for my mother." Draco started to cry.

"We'll be back in a few days and we'll know as much as anyone else," Harry said in a soothing voice.

"I feel like a coward for running."

"A great number of wizards have run from Voldemort. Sirius and Dumbledore tried to help my parents hide and my parents were very brave. Sometimes, the bravest thing you can do is hide." Harry hoped his words had comfort.

"If I go to Dumbledore wearing a disguise, he'll see me as weak," Draco said.

"Use a scalping spell and wear your robes," Harry said. "Chalk it up as a learning experience."

Draco put his hand through his hair. "I like how people treat me when they think I'm a girl." Draco put his hands on his laps and folded them. "I like imagining that I'm your wife. I really like cooking your meals and greeting you when get home from work. I sound like a twit."

"How do they treat you?"

"Differently. They're nice to me. The librarian had this polite condescending voice like she was speaking to her daughter. I've worked so hard for people to fear me, but I like the way the muggles have treated this week, seeing me as a naive girl." It felt funny trying to put what he was feeling in words. "Shit, I'm babbling again."

"Luv, would you like to dress as a girl in London?"

Draco scratched his chin feeling the stubble of the few hairs. "I don't know."

"You don't have to decide this minute."

"There is power in this. Let say that the Death Eater only see a naïve, muggle girl when they look at me."

"Princess, don't think too hard." Harry looked at Draco at the light. "I don't want you thinking that if they don't recognize you that you can spy on them. Many wizards lost their lives battling Voldemort."

"And I don't have the power."

"You don't." Harry pulled into a shopping centre car park. "I want you to go to a muggle university and stay far away from Voldemort."

"My parents are under his influence."

"Leave the war in better equipped hands. I don't want lose you." Harry kissed Draco briefly touching his face. "I love you so much."

"It isn't my cooking."

"I'd love you if you burned pots."

"Is there a luggage store here?"

"No."

"The mall has a few department stores."

"I don't want to be driving all day," Harry complained. "Bob says that Wal-Mart carries everything."

A dark haired girl wearing an employee smock said, "You must be Harry Potter."

"I didn't know you were famous in the muggle community," Draco teased.

"I'm not." Harry blushed.

"I'm a witch. I'll clock out for my break and we can talk in the snack bar," she said.

"Ami, I'm Deirdre, Harry's girlfriend," Draco said, reading her nametag.

"The snack bar is at the front of the store." Ami ran to the back of the store.

Harry smiled at Ami as she joined them in a booth. "I didn't expect to find a witch working here."

"My parents can barely afford the books I need for college and unfortunately my scholarship doesn't cover them," she said.

"I'm just spending the summer here," Harry said. "I'm going back to England in a few days. My girlfriend needs new luggage and a couple of dresses."

"You came to the right place. He don't have much in the way of luggage, but we still have many summer dresses on the racks," Ami said. "Your eyes are greener than they are in your pictures. I'm sorry about your godfather."

"I wish the press would stay out of my life," Harry said.

"They haven't reported that you had a new girlfriend," Ami said. "We don't get much in the way of foreign news, but Voldemort is an International treat. There is talk about letting the muggle world know of his existence."

"I don't think that would be wise," Draco said.

"There is talk among witches that have studied Christian prophecy that he could be speaking about the last days," Ami said.

"I don't understand," Draco said.

"The end of the world," Ami whispered.

Draco felt a sudden chill and his hands and feet shook slightly. "My father is one in his inner circle. Now, that I won't join, Voldemort follows are to kill me on sight. We can't have anyone knowing that I'm dating Harry. It could put both our lives in danger."

"He has a personal vendetta on Harry," Ami said.

"I need to read about Christian prophecy," Harry said.

"We have a couple here, but you're better off in a Christian bookstore," Ami said.

"I wouldn't know what to look for," Harry said. "We didn't study the New Testament at Hogwarts."

"Anything on the last book Revelations," Ami said. "Harry, I hope those researchers are wrong. We have our best scholars researching prophecy. Where should I owl their findings?"

"The headmaster at Hogwarts will know where to locate me. Besides, the Ministry of Magic might be looking into the same thing. Headmaster Dumbledore will know what to make of the research connecting Voldemort's threats with Christian prophecy," Harry said. "I pray that you are wrong."

"You and me both," Ami said. "To think that Voldemort might be the beast."

Harry looked at Ami. "Ami, help Deirdre find the books. I'm not much into reading and Deirdre is a bloody bookworm."

Draco stood up. "Are there any books here on Revelations?" Draco didn't know much about Christian prophecy but the number of the beast was a reference that he had heard before. Nicolas Flamel was 666 when Harry held the philosopher stone. It was unknown if he and his wife were still alive. Nicolas Flamel wasn't considered the great modern wizard; Dumbledore was. Instead with all the gold he could want and immorality, he lived a quiet life with his wife. Dumbledore said that he destroyed the stone but Draco had trouble believing that. He probably returned it to Flamel or kept it for his own use. The press needed to believe it was destroyed or others would look for it. 666 was a number that Harry knew well.

"Two," Ami said. "I'll get them for you."

"You're on your break," Harry said.

"It isn't often that I get to meet the world famous Harry Potter." Ami licked one of her lips. "I won't tell the press that Harry Potter has a girlfriend."

"Please, don't," Harry said.

Ami returned with two books. "Deirdre, I hope you and Harry are having a wonderful time in America."

"Everyone has been very kind," Draco said.

Another girl in a Wal-Mart smock came by. "You wouldn't happen to be from London?" she asked.

"Harry is from Surrey, which is a suburb of London," Draco said. "My family lives near Stonehenge."

"We're planning to get a flat in London," Harry said.

Harry found a few rather large suitcases and cords to tie them together so one of them could touch the pile and they would be transported with the portkey. "How many do you think you need?"

"Two of the largest ones they carry should be enough." Draco put them in the shopping trolley. "I'll get a couple of dresses."

"We could go to the lake and soak our feet."

"Or sit in an air-conditioned theatre," Draco suggested.

"I know that Dumbledore has more magic than Voldemort, but he could find me anywhere. I recall my aunt and uncle tried hiding me from the owls but they found me."

"Maybe Dumbledore has an answer to that. Hiding is possible or the Death Eaters wouldn't still be at large. I wish magic could be explained like muggle technology. In magic, things just work because they do; no one knows why they work." Draco put his arms around Harry. "Maybe owls can find people and aren't allowed to tell other people where they are."

"We might be able to owl your mother without giving out our location."

"I hate to think you without all your beautiful hair," Harry said.

"I'll keep the hair. I kept my hair short because long hair reminds me of my father."

"You can plait it."

Draco and Harry got enough Chinese takeaways for four people. "Bob will want some," Harry said, as he carried the food to the car.

"We better stop for petrol on the way," Draco reminded Harry.

Bob didn't move from the sofa as Draco and Harry brought in the food and bags. "I left you a slice," Bob sneered.

Harry looked at the thin slice of cake. "We brought enough takeaways for you to share. Grab some chopsticks."

"Don't worry about our germs. Our immune systems are stronger than muggles," Draco said.

"I already ate," Bob said.

"Put on a sitcom," Harry said.

"I'll wait until my voice returns before we travel. I don't want the headmaster knowing that I'm cross-dressing," Draco said.

"I could understand that." Bob moved to the overstuffed chair.

"We aren't going to snog on your sofa," Draco said.

"Right?" Bob teased.

"Do you want us to take the baking sheets and cake pans?" Draco asked. "Harry and I can buy new ones when we get our own flat."

"You're going to shack up with him?" Bob asked. "Does Aunt Petunia know that you're gay?"

"I'm bi," Harry said, "and she doesn't know. You aren't going to tell her. I'll tell her when we're back in London."


Chapter 12

Draco woke snuggled against Harry and decided he didn't care where he was because beside Harry was home. He had become quite the romantic since arriving in America. He yawned and rolled over lightly not to wake Harry before going to the toilet. He washed his face and shaved before hearing if his voice returned to normal. "I hate waiting," he told his reflection; his normal voice hadn't returned. It would in a day or two; it had returned before in four days. It was safer to let a temporary potion or charm expire than to reverse it in most cases; they were meant to wear off. Anyway, he was under no threat in Maple Shade, New Jersey.

Draco, still only in his underwear, started to make cinnamon buns; the dough contained yeast and required two risings so they wouldn't be done until eleven. Draco heard the shower so Harry must have been getting up. He hoped his voice would return to normal as he was baking; perhaps, Dumbledore would like a cinnamon bun. As he was kneading the dough, Harry kissed his neck. "Harry, could you put up some coffee?"

Harry started to make coffee. "Why do I feel very domestic?"

"Because your cousin isn't here." Draco continued to knead. "I never made bread before."

"It will be great. Everything you cooks comes out brilliantly," Harry said.

"We can go back to the bedroom for some fun while it is rising." Draco finished kneading, put the dough in a bowl and covered it with a towel so it could rise before washing his hands.

"Draco, we could risk damage to your voice and reverse it," Harry said.

"I'll wait it out. I'm not explaining to Madame Pomfrey that one of your healing charms went wrong," Draco said.

"She's probably lonely with no students there during the summer," Harry teased.

"Sod off."

"It will wear off in a day or two."

"It should be sometime today. Let's fuck."

"Princess, you have an one track mind."

"I could practice my typing." Draco sat down in front of the computer.

"I like your first suggestion better." Harry started taking off his clothes.

Draco removed his T-shirt and white Y-fronts and joined Harry on the bed. "I can't believe that I'm touching you."

"I thought you hated me all those years." Harry snuggled against him.

"I was jealous of you. You would have made a great Slytherin."

Harry kissed Draco's nose. "I would have, but I would have never been made as many friends. Slytherins are too busy stabbing each other in the back. I'm glad for all the friends I made at school. When did I tell you that the sorting hat almost put me in Slytherin?"

"I think we had a fight after Quidditch match and you mentioned it." Draco didn't recall. Perhaps, he just heard it through the rumour mill.

"The hat barely touched your head before putting you in Slytherin."

"I wanted to go with my friends," Draco said. "I was eleven."

"You were an evil little shit."

"Perhaps, I was. I was only a child. I didn't understand," Draco said.

"What do you want?"

"You." Draco put his finger over Harry's brow.

"Other than me?"

"I really don't know. I used to see my father as a great man and then I learned he was a Death Eater. I met Voldemort and I have no interest in being his slave. I don't know how my father was duped. The Death Eaters talk of a new world order, but Voldemort only wants revenge."

"I'm going to need to kill him if I return." Harry moved his hand over Draco's back.

"How?"

"I wish I knew." Harry pulled Draco against him. "I love you so much."

"I love you too. Your aunt and uncle sound like arses."

"They want their lives to be quiet and boring. They want to pretend that Voldemort and magic doesn't exist. Aunt Petunia sent me here because she knows that I'm no longer underage and can do magic outside Hogwarts."

"You wouldn't hurt them." Draco moved his hand down Harry's arm.

"No. I feel sorry for them."

"You're a better man than I."

Harry moved his hand to Draco's bottom and pressed his lips and against Draco's lips. The time for talking was over. Draco would ask Harry about his aunt and uncle later. He wondered if he wanted to meet them and if they would be afraid of him. Harry wrapped his arms around Draco
during the afterglow. "I can't wait to see my aunt's and uncle's faces when I tell them that we're together. I don't know if they'll be more angry that you're a pureblood or a pagan."

"Or drag queen."

Harry started laughed. "Or that."

"I would love to hold you all day, but the buns won't bake themselves." Draco wriggled out of Harry's embrace. "We laugh about your narrow-minded aunt and uncle as I work."

Harry watched Draco from a distance as he prepared the buns. "Watching you, I understand why you were so good at potions."

"I like detailed work."

"You would make a good healer."

"I don't have the bedside manner. Do you ever feeling like completely turning your back on the wizard world?"

"What if Ami is right and Voldemort is planning to take over the world? I'm the one in the prophecy."

"Read the books. Locate the research. Consult with the experts." Draco sliced the buns and put them on the baking sheets for a second rising.

"You don't believe in me."

"I don't know what to believe." Draco heard his voice get deeper.

"We'll go after the buns cook. Leave the kitchen stuff for Bob as a thank you for letting us stay." Harry and Draco checked the bedroom after they packed to be sure they didn't forget anything and Harry removed any wards that he placed to protect their things from thieves. "We have everything."

"Do you think Dumbledore would like to try one?" Draco said as he took the trays out of the oven.

"Wrap a half to take with us," Harry suggested.

Draco wrote a note to Bob thanking him for inviting them. "I don't feel right leaving him a note."

"He'll be home shortly if he doesn't work overtime."

"Let's wait. If he isn't home by four, we'll go." Draco ate a hot roll. "I'll make some tea."

Bob arrived home just before four. He hugged Harry. "Few free to come by anytime. I loved having you."

"Thanks for having us," Harry said.

"I learned a lot," Draco said.

"Keep the cookbook," Bob said.

"I'll buy one in my native language," Draco teased.

"You should think about becoming a chef," Bob said. "You have a real talent in the kitchen."

"It's been a pleasure." Draco extended his hand to shake.

Bob wrapped his arms around him. "You're family. Should I stand back when you use magic?"

"Two or three feet should be more than enough space," Draco said.

Bob stepped back. Harry put one hand on the baggage tied together with bungee cords. Draco held both the letter and envelop. Harry took the hand holding the letter. "Drop the envelope carefully."

Harry and Draco found themselves and their baggage in the headmaster's office. "He'll be here any moment." Draco checked to see if they had all their baggage. All three large cases arrived with them, unopened and unharmed. Draco sat on their cases as they waited for Headmaster Dumbledore.

Dumbledore walked around the room before sitting at his desk. "I'll have your luggage taken to the seventh year rooms in Slytherin. Professor Snape is staying with us this summer."

"I hoped that we wouldn't be staying long," Draco said.

Harry handed the headmaster the plate in the cinnamon buns. "Draco made these."

"Then, I'll try one." Dumbledore took one. "Miss Granger informed me that you overheard a number of private conversation among the Death Eaters."

"I'm afraid since I won't take the mark that they'll kill me," Draco said. "Would a disguise help in hiding from them or will they trace me by some magical signature unique to Draco Malfoy?"

"We can't find people like that. If we could, we would have so many escaped criminals since the dementors were released." Dumbledore ate the bun with his fingers.

"Then, how did you know when I went that hotel?" Harry asked.

"Spies," Dumbledore supplied. "One muggle family is easy to follow. You were very important to us."

"So I could hide if I lived in the muggle community and altered my appearance," Draco said. "I know that you trust Professor Snape but if I'm going to hide from the Death Eaters, it's better that the least amount of people know."

"I'll have your bag put in guests' quarters. No one will know you're there but the house elves," Dumbledore said. "Relax."

"Harry and I haven't seen our N.E.W.T.s yet," Draco said.

"I'll send them to your quarters. I won't discuss them with you, but I won't stop you or Harry from talking between yourselves," he said.

"That's fair," Harry said. "My aunt Petunia has probably burned them."



The end (I'm writing a series of novellas)


Like it, hate it. Tell me.
uris@fateordestiny.com


words and music by Erica Neely
Hey, where are you going? I've got just one song more,
And although it's got destruction, terror, fear, and war,
You call it depressing but I know that's just a lie,
It must be cheerful 'cause not everybody dies.