Gladiator Slash Fanfiction VI: Knowledge And Pain

Author: Melinda

UserTinkerbell16@cs.com

Pairing: Maximus/Cicero/Quentin (Norman Reedus, BOONDOCK SAINTS, GOSSIP, DARK HARBOR)

Details: This continues from Beginning Again, part V

Rating: R but possible NC-17

Disclaimers: Yes, I DO NOT own Maximus or anyone else in the Gladiator movie (I think Russell Crowe is scrumptious). I also don't own any characters from the movie listed above, I just think Norman Reedus is a great match for Maximus. So who ever owns the rights to these characters please don't sue, I'm a poor college student just trying to relax from studies. This is just for enjoyment. I will never make any money off of this, but I hope people like what I write

Archive: Ask Me

Name: KNOWLEDGE & PAIN, part VI

 

Knowledge And Pain

by Melinda

Maximus could feel the urge to run, but forced himself to a brisk pace towards his tent. He didn't know what was happening, but the fear was almost overwhelming in its intensity. He knew the fear had nothing to do with him or his surroundings. Somehow the young man, Quentin, was involved. The images he kept seeing were of Quentin being beaten and raped by Quintus. They were just flashes, in no sequence, almost as if in a nightmare. Maximus came to the entrance of his tent and all the training he had as a military man, came into play. His guard came up, his senses open and aware of his surroundings. He unsheathed his sword and entered quietly into his domain.

The entrance to the tent was well lit, as if waiting for him to come home. Everything was in its place, the lamps lit, fire burning, everything was warm and inviting. But the feelings and images were still seared into Maximus' mind, so he stayed alert as he walked further into the tent. In the back of the tent was his bath water, still warm from Cicero's earlier heating. Maximus was worried now. Cicero was always waiting for him and so far not a sign of him. Maximus turned from the tub of water and glided silently towards his sleeping quarters.

Pulling the curtain aside, he slipped in, not making a sound. His quarters were lit partially and he could see that there was one lurking in his quarters, either. Maximus sheathed his sword and walked over to his bed. He had noticed a figure laying there and as he got closer he could see that it was Cicero. Leaning in closer he noticed the writhing figure beside Cicero. Maximus moaned as he realized that what he was seeing in his head had to be coming from this boy. The boy was whimpering, almost as if he was trying to get away from his dream. Maximus reached over Cicero and gently touched Quentin's face. The boy stopped moving immediately and Maximus felt a lift from the images in his head. There was a sense of peace flowing through him. He watched as Quentin turned his face into his hand, moving his cheek gently into his palm. Maximus' hand almost engulfed Quentin's entire face and Maximus realized that he could hurt this one so easily if he was not careful. He watched as Quentin settled down into a deep sleep, then he removed his hand gently. As he was standing up he glanced at Cicero and met his inquisitive brown eyes, realizing that Cicero had been watching this display of affection.

Maximus nodded and motioned with his head for Cicero to follow him. He turned and walked out of his sleeping quarters and walked over to his bath tub, disrobing in the process. Cicero followed after Maximus, helping him to remove his armor and clothing underneath. Maximus sat down to unlace his boots as Cicero knelt and assisted him in their removal. Maximus tore at his trousers and stretched languidly with relief at being out of his restrictive clothing.

Cicero admired this man's body. Maximus' body was sculpted from many battles, working on his farm and lean years of always being on the move. He was bronzed gold from the sun with some battle scars on his torso that only added to the ruggedness of his physique. He no longer had that young man's body that Cicero had made love to years ago. But the body he had today was the body of a warrior. He watched as Maximus lowered himself into the water, knowing that the time to speak would be soon.

Maximus watched Cicero through hooded eyes. He wondered why Cicero had been in bed with the young one. Cicero was not one to give his devotion away lightly, yet it seemed in just a few short hours, Cicero was already caring for this young man.

"Cicero, speak to me." Maximus demanded, wanting to know what had transpired tonight. He started scrubbing his body with soap and a rough cloth, trying to wash away the blood and filth.

"This boy, Quentin...he's special. He...tell me Maximus, was night unusual for you?" Cicero needed to know if Maximus had felt what this boy was claiming to feel. Maximus didn't like this cat and mouse game.

"What happened with me tonight doesn't concern you right now, Cicero. I want to know what happened here." Maximus didn't like speaking to Cicero in this way, but he must know what Cicero was hiding. Cicero glanced over to Maximus' quarters and since Quentin was still in bed, he decided to share with Maximus everything he knew, no matter how unbelievable it might seem.

After telling Maximus everything, Maximus stood up and grabbed a towel to dry himself off. Cicero went and grabbed his robe and helped him put it on. He couldn't read Maximus' expression and didn't know if he believed him or not. Maximus slid his robe over his head, then sat down at the table to eat some bread and cheese. He motioned to his cup and Cicero poured him some wine. Maximus looked at Cicero.

"Sit down, please. You know I hate hovering." Maximus pointed to a chair across from him. Cicero sat and poured himself a glass of wine. Maximus sat contemplating everything Cicero had said.

"I believe you." Maximus stated and then proceeded to tell Cicero about the events of the night. Midway through the story Maximus stopped, turned slightly towards his sleeping quarters and held out his hand. He didn't say a word, just motioned slightly with his hand and Quentin stepped out shyly, holding the fur tightly around him. He glanced over at Cicero and seeing Cicero nod slightly, Quentin went to Maximus. He crawled into Maximus' lap, straddling his hips, with his chest against Maximus' chest. He leaned against Maximus, breathing deeply, feeling safe for the first time since his mother died and left him alone. He lay his head on Maximus' shoulder, burying his face into the crook of his neck and shoulder.

Maximus moaned as he realized that Quentin was naked underneath the fur blanket. He put his arm around Quentin so as to balance him and keep him from falling off his lap. Quentin had pressed his body close to Maximus' and he could feel the young man's heat through his thin robe. Maximus felt desire rising up in him and it took all of his strength to push it back down.

"Where are his clothes?" Maximus growled, emotion choking his throat, making it hard to speak.

"His clothes are dirty, I took them to be washed, with the celebration going on, I couldn't get anyone to assist me in finding him some more clothes, mine are wet and still drying, so that leaves you. Maybe you have something he could wear. If not he could stay naked until tomorrow and then maybe I will have better luck finding him something." Cicero couldn't help but smile at how uncomfortable Maximus was at the moment. This was good. Maybe the old man can start coming alive again.

Maximus glared at Cicero when he saw the smile. He shifted in his seat and Quentin latched on to his neck almost slipping off. Maximus lifted him back up into a better position, trying not to look at his nakedness underneath the fur, but not having much luck at it. The young man smelled of sweet jasmine, which always reminded Maximus of home. He breathed in deeply of the young man's scent, enjoying the closeness.

"We need to make him a bed for the night." Maximus spoke to Cicero, looking at him pointedly. Quentin listened to Maximus speak, not really hearing the words. He was lost in the warmth of this man's body, the gentle caressing of his thoughts in his head. He tentatively reached with his own mind in response to Maximus' prodding.

Maximus jerked when he felt the touch of the boy in his mind. He moved his head and looked Quentin in the eyes. His blue eyes were open pools of innocence and for a moment Maximus opened up to Quentin and let him in completely. Quentin could feel him falling into the warmth and strength of Maximus, but abruptly he was pushed out. Maximus stood up and deposited Quentin into his seat.

"You are not welcome in there." Maximus glared at Quentin, feeling that this boy would be the destruction of everything he had worked so hard to keep control of.

"I didn't enter unwelcomed. You're the one who brought me in. I can't help what I feel or do." Quentin spoke openly. He reached out and touched the chiseled jaw of this magnificent warrior. Maximus moaned. Shaking his head, trying to clear it.

"Find him a bed, Cicero!" Maximus demanded, turning to head back into his sleeping quarters.

"What are you afraid of?" Quentin asked, feeling fear in Maximus. Maximus whirled around, angry at the accusation.

"Afraid! I'm not afraid of you!" Maximus approached the young man, feeling the urge to shut him up forcefully, but not doing it. Perhaps this boy spoke some truth. Cicero stood up between Maximus and Quentin. Maximus stepped back at the confrontation.

"Cicero?" Maximus questioned, not believing but somehow understanding Cicero's deviance.

"Maximus, he's just a child, barely seventeen. Threatening behavior is not appropriate with him. He's just stating the truth. You have been afraid ever since that night with Commodus and Quintus." Cicero was not going to let Maximus ruin the one thing that has been positive in their lives in years. Besides if the boy could stand up to the Great General, then so could he.

"Put him to bed!! We'll discuss this tomorrow!" Maximus roared, whirling around and going into his sleeping quarters.

Cicero turned and looked at Quentin. Quentin had tears in his eyes. He couldn't believe that Maximus had let him in, given him that one second of happiness then just took it away. Why was Maximus so afraid of him?

"Come, my child, you will sleep with me tonight." Cicero held out his hand and waited for Quentin to take it. Grasping the offered hand, Quentin stood up and followed Cicero to his bed chamber. Quentin lay down on the bed, covering up again with the fur blanket. He watched as Cicero disrobed. Cicero's whole body, especially his back, was covered in scars. He lay down next to Quentin, using his own blanket to cover up with. Quentin rested his head on his hand, leaning on his elbow and reached under the blanket, pulling it back away Cicero's body. Cicero shivered at the touch of the blanket moving against his skin. Quentin traced the scars on his chest, softly with his finger.

"He saved you from this, didn' t he?" Quentin asked gently. Cicero nodded, his heart in his throat. No one had touched him since that night. Maximus had touched the scars on his face, but never allowed himself to touch anything else, even though, sometimes, Cicero could see the desire and want in Maximus' face.

Quentin moved his body next to Cicero's nakedness, laying his head on Cicero's shoulder. Cicero put his arm around Quentin and moved closer to his body. Quentin raised his head and kissed the scars on Cicero's face, then kissed his lips gently.

"If Maximus loves you, then so do I." Quentin stated and with that he lay his head back down on Cicero's shoulder and fell asleep. Cicero smiled and his heart soared with Quentin's proclamation. He, too, loved the boy and Maximus. So life was complete.

***********************

Maximus couldn't believe the audacity of this young one. He, afraid...afraid of what? Maximus was fuming. But as he paced, his mind once again wondered and he remembered the fear he had when he thought of that night. Perhaps Quentin was right. He was afraid. He was afraid that if he ever allowed that kind of emotion to rule over him again, perhaps Quentin would get hurt this time. How could he jeopardize someone's life like that? Maximus felt bone weary, more tired tonight then he had ever felt before. He was so tired of keeping an iron grip on his emotions. Would life ever be safe enough for him to experience love again? Maybe life wasn't meant to be safe. He had been vigilant ever since that night and all that had brought him was loneliness. He was tired of being lonely.

He had tried to reach out to Cicero but everytime he saw the scars he was reminded of his weakness. He loved Cicero with all his heart, but the passion wasn't there anymore. Maximus didn't feel passionate about anything except his son. Where was his passion in life? Hiding behind fear. Maximus moaned at the realization that the boy had been right, and he was tired of hiding.

Maximus stood up and went towards Cicero's sleeping area. He entered quietly, hoping that they would still be awake. As he approached the bed he stared in awe at the beauty Cicero and Quentin made. Quentin lay sprawled half way on top of Cicero, his bare leg thrown over Cicero's naked hips. Cicero had his arm around Quentin's shoulders and was holding him close. Maximus stared at them sleeping for a while. He reached out gently with his mind, trying to read Quentin while he slept, but all he felt was warmth and contentment. Maximus decided not to disturb them and went back to his own sleeping quarters. After removing his robe, he crawled into bed and fell asleep almost immediately.

****************

Maximus woke with a start. He had only been asleep for a couple of hours, because it was still dark outside. He could still hear the camp stirring, getting ready for bed. Most of the soldiers had been up late, celebrating. Maximus wasn't sure what had woken him, he had no sense of danger. It was then that he noticed something move beside him, under the cover of his blanket. He pulled the blanket back and there lay Quentin, curled tightly against his side, his back pressed up against him. He was curled in a fetal position as if he were cold. Quentin shivered slightly as a light breeze brushed against his bare skin, Maximus watched as Quentin reached out trying to find the blanket to cover up again.

Maximus moved closer to Quentin, turned and spooned up against his body, so as to keep him warm. Quentin mumbled in his sleep, pressing against Maximus chest, stomach and hips. Maximus could feel his cock grow with excitement but this time he didn't try to control it. He just let it be, reveling in the sensation of desire coursing through his body, but knowing that this wasn't the right time. Maximus could feel himself getting sleepy again, so he wrapped his fore arm around Quentin and pulled him even closer, Quentin stirred and whispered, "It's O.K., my Spaniard...sleep now...I'm not going anywhere." Maximus had to lean very close to hear Quentin and smiled at the endearment. He kissed Quentin's back then drifted off to sleep, holding him tight, not wanting to let go.

 

END