TITLE: A Time For Love

MOVIE BASE: Gladiator (AU - Alternate Universe)

RATING: NC-17 overall for sex and language

WARNING: Some chapters also contain SLASH & NON-CONSENSUAL SEX

DISCLAIMER: The usual - don't own them, not trying to make any profit, etc, etc.

CHARACTERS: From the movie: General Maximus Decimus Meridus, slave Cicero, Captain Quintus, Caesar, Children of Caesar - Commodus & Lucilla, Lucilla's son Lucius, and wife & child of Maximus.

Original characters: Colonel Diana Meridus, Lady Helena, and assorted minor characters.

AUTHOR: Max

FEEDBACK: Constructive criticism is much appreciated on or off-list goss6@sover.net

Ancient man vs. modern woman. General Maximus is a man used to getting his way. People obey him, women are treated very differently in ancient Rome, it is normal and acceptable for upstanding Roman citizens to own slaves for work and pleasure, and the story starts only days BEFORE his betrayal in Germania.

I've pitted this man, who has never met a woman he couldn't control, against a modern-day American army colonel using that age-old plot device of time travel. She is a woman used to people obeying HER and has strong reactions to Rome's practice of slavery and women's standing in society.




A Time For Love
by Max


"I'm going down! I'm going down!" she shouts into the headset of her chopper, as it tumbles through the sky and she fights with all her strength to keep it level.

Colonel Diana Meridus has just come out of a blinding tunnel of light that had enveloped her in the sky. Her instruments are going crazy, her headset in dead silence, and the chopper is fast losing altitude. She can see smoke and flames coming out the back, and with every ounce of her being, she is doing everything possible to slow down her descent.

As the Romans would say, the Gods must have smiled upon her that day, as the smoking chopper landed upright, hard, but still quite intact in the middle of a marsh, stuck firmly now in the thick cement-like mud. Diana, although helmet on her head, hit the side door window so hard that it knocked her out, and she lies now slumped in her seat, no longer knowing the peril she is in from the burning craft.

General Maximus Decimus Meridus of the Roman army, servant to none but Emperor Marcus Aurelius, is out on his daily ride through the forest, surveying the land of Germania that he has come to conquer in Caesar's name. His massive stallion had almost flipped him, a not easy thing to do to one such as the General, when the strange craft flew overhead. And after watching that flaming object fly by, he quickly spurred the frightened animal on and galloped through the trees, following its smoky trail.

The horse skittered to a halt at the edge of the marsh, and Maximus was almost tempted to turn around in his own fear at such an unimaginable sight before him, a large metallic beast with long sharp looking spikes on the top, smoking and breathing fire. - A dragon? - he thinks, steadying his battle-honed nerves now. - NAY! Dragons are only fairy tales for children. Whatever it is, the beast is not moving and has landed in MY territory. I must investigate. -

He cautiously dismounts his horse, tying it to a tree to keep the snorting animal in place, and moves slowly towards the beast, smelling strange odors he has never come across in all his travels for the Emperor. And then, the General of all of Caesar's armies almost jumps himself in fright when he sees movement. - Something is moving in the belly of the beast! -

Diana moans, and with eyes closed, her head falls back giving Maximus a partial view of her bloodstained face. -Human? Wounded? - And he walks closer now; fear gone and very much intrigued.

At the door he yanks on the handle, assuming correctly it will open what he feels now is not a beast at all, but a strange chariot of some kind, a chariot that can fly. After a few experimental tugs, trying to figure out how the handle works, the door opens and Diana's body slumps towards him, only her harness keeping her from falling all the way out. His bare arms feel too much warmth from the open door, however, and smoke is billowing around him. Fire he can see now coming from the back of the 'chariot'.

It may be sitting in the marsh, but he has nothing to gather water with until he realizes that the human, - assuming it IS human, - is wearing some sort of helmet like many charioteers wear. It is a strange looking helmet, very smooth and shiny, but it is still just a helmet he can tell from touching it, and he lifts the head of the body to get to the straps. The straps take less time to figure out than the door handle, and, within moments, long dark auburn hair spills out.

- Jupiter! . Female? All that hair! Or perhaps barbarian male? Could one have stolen this strange chariot somehow? - It is almost easier for this millennia old man to believe that a non-Roman male could have flown the 'chariot' rather than a mere female.

Taking the helmet now, Maximus quickly scoops water out of the marsh and throws it on the fire, and soon it works, the fire is out. The helmet is then tossed into the marsh to sink beneath the surface, and he looks closer to the prone figure in the seat again. The harness is too complicated for him, though, and after a moment of struggling with it, he impatiently pulls out his dagger and cuts it apart.

Lifting the motionless figure out, the large man hauls it over his shoulder and casually drops it to the grass surrounding the marsh. The long flame-streaked hair is covering the face now, and he can see better that the entire small body is wrapped in strange brown and green garments from neck to feet, the only skin showing on the hands. Diana moans again from the impact of hitting the ground from the six-foot height and opens her eyes, pushing her hair from her face to see the frowning tanned face of a very dark haired blue-eyed man staring down at her.

Maximus couldn't help it, the minute he saw her full face, surrounded by that hair, he hissed in breath in surprise at seeing for sure now that the figure must be female, - and a very eye-appealing female graced with the face of a Goddess, this one is. - "Woman, state your name and your House," he orders in Latin, the official language of Rome.

"Huh?" she grunts, not understanding a word of it as she pushes herself up on her elbows. Within seconds, however, she has jumped to her feet, wobbling for a moment as a wave of dizziness sweeps through her from the head injury.

Maximus, although quite ruthless and brutal when necessary, is a compassionate man at heart. He can see that the stranger is hurt from the blood on her face and the way she almost just fell, but his voice does not change tone as he orders now, "Come with me. You may ride back to camp."

"Look buddy," she says, rubbing her head and looking around. "I can't understand you. I'm Colonel Diana Meridus," noticing how his piercing eyes have widened at her name. "Where am I? You speak English? Hey, is this some kinda movie set?" And she peers around for cameras now, realizing that the impressively large man is dressed like an ancient Roman, right down to the short cut of hair on his head.

Maximus only understood two words she said, Diana Meridus. She said them with a strange accent, but he recognized instantly the name of the Roman Goddess of the Hunt, one of his favorites to worship, and his own surname Meridus. - Is the female saying that the Goddess sent her to me? A gift? She is certainly lovely, and even my loins have moved seeing her porcelain face and ruby hair, but the Gods know I am content with my wife. I would not dare forsake their gift, but I do not think I will bed this one as tempting as it may be. She will be useful in other ways at my hearth. Of course, I must be certain first that she is truly a gift and not a threat to Rome in any way. Beautiful woman have been known to bring down entire civilizations, and I will not be the one to bring a Trojan Horse back to Rome. -

"Come," he says again and reaches towards her.

"Hey!" she cries, jumping back from him. "I'm a United States Army Colonel! Do you understand? United States," she points to the flag patch on the arm of her brown leather jacket that's covering her regulation green army fatigues. "America?"

Maximus just shakes his head impatiently, deciding that he's had quite enough of the strange, apparently human female in front of him. He is a man who NEVER has to give an order more than once, and patience is NOT one of his virtues. Quicker than Diana's ever seen a man move, he grabs her arm and begins to casually pull her behind him towards his horse.

"Knock it off, big guy! I'm NOT going with you!" And she wrests her arm free to stand firmly with her hands on her hips and legs spread, waiting.

To say that Maximus is astounded would be like saying that dogs and cats have only a simple dislike of each other. No female, no ANYONE would dare to pull themselves from this man's hand and show such defiance. This ancient leader of men, used to being obeyed implicitly, is no longer perplexed and simply impatient, he is approaching real anger now, and he lunges at her again.

This time, however, Diana sees it coming. She's ready for him, and she uses his forward momentum and much greater weight to her advantage to easily flip him onto his back. The General of the Roman army lands on the ground with a very satisfying thud to the ears of the American Colonel. Unfortunately, he's up on his feet again much quicker than she expected, fury radiating from those blue eyes now that a person, especially a female, could throw him.

Maximus has not been thrown to the ground in any way for at least ten years now. Not only is he a master of Roman weaponry, he is a master of hand-to-hand combat. Every promotion he ever received over his decade long military career was well-earned through hard work and by tooth and nail fighting until his enemies were crushed into the ground beneath his boots. - How could something so slender and small turn me over on my back like that? I must be reaching my elder years. I know the age of 30 years is far from young, but I truly thought I had a few more years of prime left before Caesar retires me. Time to end this. Take the female any way I have to and get her back to camp for a proper interrogation. She fell into MY territory. Tis my sworn duty to Caesar to discover if she is friend or foe of Rome. -

Out comes his dagger, and Diana's eyes widen this time. - SHIT! My guns are in the chopper! I don't have anything on me! Not even a fucking penknife! - And just as Maximus is about to lunge at her again, they hear the loud horns of his men, blowing for a hunt as they come galloping into the area.

The loud unexpected noise startles Diana. She turns, staring in astonishment, as five other men dressed in similar barelegged clothing stare back at her and her chopper. Maximus takes advantage of her lapse in concentration on him and swiftly pulls her arms together, wrapping her wrists tight in a thick leather cord as she begins to struggle, realizing how foolish she was. Thrashing against him, trying to pull her hands free, Diana feels her arms lifted behind her back to the very painful point of almost dislocating them. And gritting her teeth, she immediately settles down, knowing that she's lost ... for now.

It was another surprise to Maximus that the female didn't cry out in pain like all women and even some men would have, but he has no desire to respect such a strange creature for it, and he drags her unceremoniously to his horse. Soon, Diana is lifted up to sit in front of him, and not being used to a horse, she almost slips right off without the use of her hands to steady herself. Sighing impatiently, he quickly rights her firmly against him with his arms around her to grip the reigns and keep her in place, and the men begin to walk their horses fast through the forest.

It is not long before he finds that he has to keep moving his face away from the strange but pleasant smelling hair at the top of her head that annoyingly tickles him just right under his nose. - Strange scent she carries, - he thinks, taking a purposeful whiff of her head now. - Not like any female I know. -

It is a long ride, however, and soon Diana's muscles are aching from trying to keep her body upright and firm away from her kidnapper without falling off the horse. The tenseness in her body is obvious to Maximus, also her strange unfamiliarity to horses that even the lowest Roman denizens are brought up with, but he smiles to himself at seeing how she continues futilely at struggling with her bonds. - Let her keep trying. Wear herself out so she will be that much easier to break when we return. A female should be easy, but I sense this one will not be. - If Maximus had had any real inkling of just how right his instincts were about breaking Diana, he might've dumped her right then and there and ran away screaming into the forest before it was too late.

"General Maximus?" Captain Quintus, his friend, speaks up, riding beside him for a moment. "What about the strange chariot?"

"Leave it for now," Maximus says easily. - I will make no decision until the female has been examined thoroughly. -

"And this creature? Male or female?" he asks. "It shows so little skin."

"Female," Maximus states confidently. "My senses say female, but I will confirm this soon." - Definitely female the way her rump rubs against my loins no matter how she tries to keep it from happening. -

"The men are worried," Quintus lowers his voice. "Worried 'tis a God or Goddess pretending to be human, that maybe it should have been left alone."

"Nay," Maximums firmly decides. "She is all human, and she is mine now, a gift from the Gods. They will see." And with a nod of his head, Quintus moves back to his place behind his general again.

An hour passes, and Diana is now completely worn out from the ride, slumping against him, no longer able to keep herself upright. She is suffering all over, leaning back completely to mold her body in rest against the man's, hating that she is doing it, but not wanting to waste what little strength she has left to worry about his body touching hers any longer.

Maximus smiles to himself again at feeling her defeat and holds her tighter to keep her from falling now that the tension has left her body. He considers untying her hands, but his gut tells him that he should not, and because his instincts have saved his life numerous times in battle, he decides to listen to them again, no matter how disconcerting it is to him to admit to himself that he is still slightly worried about a mere female besting him once more.

Once she has surrendered to the pain in her body and leaned back into him, the only time Diana almost jumps upright again is when she distinctly feels a hard heat pressing against her lower back. But the man does nothing inappropriate to her, and, eventually, she becomes used to feeling it there, noting with inward amusement that although the guy's arms continue to hold her tight, he had shifted his lower body away from her just enough to take some of the pressure off. - Hmmm . not quite as barbarian as I thought. Maybe he's married? God, I hope so. The last thing I need is to fight off a lusty Cecil B. DeMille extra. -

When she sees the camp, however, she jumps visibly in the saddle. - Oh my God! Never seen anything like it except in movies! This is too much! They're ALL dressed like this or wearing practically NOTHING, even most of the woman! And Oh- My- God- the- REEK! Gross! Christ, I thought THIS guy smelled like a construction worker in need of deodorant, but THIS is disgusting! His musky smell is like fucking daisies compared to the camp! -

Maximus dismounts and watches with interest as she stares wide-eyed around his camp, but the wrinkling of her nose he just doesn't understand. - There is nothing to offend someone here! - he thinks angrily, as he pulls her roughly from the horse. He is a man who is very proud of his camp. It is cleaner than any other, food is kept from spoiling, bodies are burned as soon as possible, the waste areas are kept in one area behind the stables, and the sick and dying are attended to by two camp physicians. Also, the camp slave whores for use by all soldiers are kept apart in one area with only regular female and male house slaves allowed to work throughout the camp. It is a tight, well-run, clean camp, in a Roman's eyes.

The moment Diana's shaky legs hit the ground, she buckles and falls on her ass, and Maximus laughs heartily now. If the woman wasn't so angry at her predicament, she would probably find his deep laughter contagious, as she can't help but admit to herself that the man is quite handsome, although in a very wild, sweaty animal sort of way. "Don't just laugh at me!" she snaps up at him. "Help me up!"

And Maximus, not at all liking the tone of the strange foreign words and the still-defiant fire in the female's eyes, makes his decision; time alone to cool her heels first. Before she can even try to wiggle out of the way, he's lifted her over his shoulder and is carrying her through the camp.

"NO! Put me down, you ape! Put me down!" she hollers and tries to kick with her legs. But with only one large muscular arm, he holds her still and dumps her on the ground inside the makeshift cell they use for errant slaves, whores or soldiers, slamming the door on her shocked face.



CHAPTER 2

The cell Diana was thrown into is rarely used. House slaves and whores rarely complain in this particular camp, as Maximus does what he can to be sure that all are treated humanely by their masters, men who are his subordinates. The very rare soldier who disobeys Maximus or one of his officers is simply placed in the cell until the general has had a chance to consider the severity of the crime and the appropriate punishment.

He has no problem punishing or disciplining when needed, but he is the kind of man who tries only to do it with a cool head and not in anger, as humanely as possible while still upholding Roman Law. In this way, his willing followers respect and love him, and not necessarily obey him simply because their lives are in his control, a complete control where a man such as he has the power to harm anyone he wishes at whim.

And Maximus knows his compassion and sense of fairness can be considered weaknesses in him, as many other commanders are far stricter and much more severe in their discipline. But he likens his unwillingness to maim or kill defenseless people to his tutelage under Caesar; a just man himself that Maximus is still surprised was given such a sadistic son in Commodus from the Gods. - It will be a dark day for Rome when Commodus becomes Caesar, - he thinks again, as he stalks to his tent to consider the strangely defiant female.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diana looks around her new surroundings, grateful that the big guy has left her alone. The windowless cell is made of light wood, something she feels she could probably break through if her hands were not tied behind her back so tightly. And there is light streaming through the slits in the wooden ceiling, keeping the room dank, but not completely dark. - Great, I'll get fucking soaked if it rains. Although, actually, I could really use a bath and a drink right now. God, I hope it DOES rain. -

Looking around more she spots a small wooden bucket in the corner, that although empty, smells like it must have been used for waste. - Damn, I gotta pee too! Fuck! Can't get my pants down like this! Well, I'll fucking hold it 'til my bladder bursts before I'll wet myself for that jerk to laugh at! I know he'll be back. Walks and acts like he's in charge here. I must be his fucking prisoner or something. He'll be back, and I'll get through his ape-brain that he can't treat me like this! -

To busy herself, she stares out at the camp through the small holes of the wooden planks, seeing now that the man has left two guards with swords by the door. - Hmmmm . doesn't take any chances, does he? Smarter than I thought. But where's their guns? Weird there isn't any guns on anyone. - And with nothing else to do, she watches the camp for hours to ignore her hungry stomach, thirsty mouth and stretching bladder.

Conan the Commander, as she thinks of him now, not knowing his name or rank, is walking around giving orders and occasionally glancing at the hut as though he knows that she is watching. He does. Maximus can feel her eyes on him, and he doesn't like it, not that Diana would care in the least if she knew.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Curled up on her side on the fresh hay in the corner, Diana is so exhausted from the previous day's events that she doesn't awake until she hears a grunting order directly over her the next morning. "Wake up," Maximus commands, giving her a light kick in the side, surprised to see that the female did not mess herself being tied during the long night.

The kick didn't hurt, and Diana opens her eyes wearily for a moment, thinking she must still be dreaming of the Roman-looking commander, as there, standing over her is the most muscled rock-hard set of bare legs she has ever seen. Her eyes sweep up, taking in the broad chest covered in an open robe of animal skins and knee-length light blue tunic with leather adornments, the thick neck and firm face frowning down at her, and bright blue eyes, eyes definitely showing intelligence, she has to admit to herself. - And almost clean-shaven! - she laughs a little hysterically in her mind. - Guess even barbarians know how to shave! -

Trying to stand, she falters from cramping in her arms during the night, and he easily lifts her to her feet. As soon as she's upright, however, her bladder clenches so badly that she groans loudly as she bites down on her lower lip, struggling valiantly to hold it in. - Oh God! It's been too long! I'm gonna piss myself in front of Conan and his sidekicks now! -

Pointing her head frantically at the bucket and twisting sideways, Diana tries to hold her bound hands up to him. "Pease! I have to pee!" she cries, desperate to make him understand while ignoring the soldiers watching her with rapt fascination.

Maximus understood the minute she looked at the bucket with frantic eyes and even considered untying her so that she could take care of relieving herself. He had spent most of the night thinking about her; what she did to him in the marsh and also how she made his loins tighten on the ride to camp. And being a very smart man, as much as he wanted to consider her throwing of him a fluke, he knows it wasn't, and he is not about to tempt the Gods again by untying her in front of his men just yet. Instead, he pushes her over to the bucket and says to the audience, "She has to pass water. I told you she was human."

Diana is extremely relieved that the brute has understood and holds her hands up as much as she can, waiting for him to untie her. At this point, she doesn't care if the whole damn camp watches her. All she wants to do is sit on that bucket as if her life depended on it. - Shit! - she thinks when he ignores her hands and fumbles with her belt. "No! Stop!" she shouts and tries to pull away, not about to let him undress her. "Let me do it!" she continues to shout, but is still ignored, as he works harder at the belt and it finally comes loose.

Maximus is staring now at the strange button and zipper, unlike anything he's ever seen before, but after only another moment, he determines how they work, and her strange leggings are quickly pushed to the ground. - By the Goddess, what is that? - he thinks in confusion now at being face level with her bright red shiny panties.

As a man who has been with many women in his past, Maximus is only used to seeing plain white cotton material used for moon times around the female chamber of pleasures. Other than when needed, most young Roman women prefer to wear nothing beneath their stolas to give easy access to their husbands or lovers. Those who do wear undergarments, wear a simple loincloth that unwraps in layers from around their waist and thighs.

He touches with curiosity the silky smoothness of the material, seeing nothing to unravel, and looks up at her face simmering at him with anger. His lip begins to curl in amusement at her foolish outrage at something she cannot control, and he swiftly pulls them down and moves himself to the side so that his men can see what he has exposed. Spreading her thighs with both hands and holding them apart in a tight, painful grip to keep her still, he announces with authority, "Female. There is no sword."

Diana has turned red with embarrassment, realizing, without understanding the words, what has just happened. Her privates have been put on display to determine her sexuality to these strange people. - Christ! Haven't they ever seen a woman like me before? What the fuck is the big deal? -

Maximus stands now and pushes her down towards the bucket, steadying her shoulders as she sits on it and they all watch her relieve herself. He continues to nod to his men, "Human female. I will hear no more wild stories. She is nothing to be concerned about." And when he no longer hears her 'water' hitting the bucket, he lifts her back up and dresses her quickly, having only slightly more trouble putting everything back together correctly on the leggings.

As soon as he has finished, he smiles with self-satisfaction and steps back from her just enough to begin the interrogation. With his fist against his chest, he announces in a loud clear voice, "I am General Maximus Decimus Meridus, supreme commander of Caesar's army."

- Meridus? - she thinks, - That may be Spanish like MY name! He could be Spanish. I know I don't exactly look like classic Spanish with all this red in my hair and green eyes from my mom, but Dad's side is ALL Spanish. This guy could have something else mixed in too giving him those bright blue eyes, but his tanned skin and black hair definitely looks like Spanish. -

"My name is Colonel Diana Meridus. Where am I?" she asks authoritively in modern, accented Spanish.

Maximus takes another step back in surprise, not for a moment having expected that the strange female would speak in his native tongue. It was definitely odd sounding to him, not like the speech of any Spaniards he knows, but he was at least able to understand it.

"I do the questioning."

"Well, it's about time you said something comprehensible," she snorts. "You're in big trouble, mister, holding me. I'm a Colonel in the United States army."

"I know not what this ...yoonitad states is," he says dismissively, "but you are in MY army now. MY prisoner. I found you in this land of Germania, the land of the barbarian Quadi tribe, and you belong to me now."

"Excuse me?" she asks with a sarcastic cock of her head. "On whose authority?"

"On MY authority. I am the Emperor's right hand. General Maximus Decimus Meridus."

"Yeah, yeah, Max. I heard that part already," SHE says dismissively now. "If I'm your prisoner, fine, but you must know, that by United Nations standards, this isn't the appropriate way to hold a prisoner. I do have rights by world law, and you're breaking them by treating me like this."

"Rights?" he laughs, not understanding much else that she said. "You have no rights. You have less rights than a slave at this point."

- Slaves? These people keep slaves? How fucking more backwards can you get?! - "Who's this emperor of yours? I want to speak to him or her right now!" she demands harshly, stepping towards him in a way that would have intimidated any of the men at her base.

Maximus turns to his soldiers and chuckles lightly to them, invoking much laughter. "She wants an audience with Caesar." And he turns back to her when his own laughter has lessened, noting with amusement at how it has enraged her again. - She is like a wildcat. I shall enjoy taming her. - "I do not think, She-who-is-less-than-a-slave, that Caesar Marcus Aurelius has time for a female prisoner."

"M ..M..M..Marcus Aurelius?" she gasps, falling back against the wall. - Oh my God! I know history pretty well. He was like emperor almost 2,000 years ago! No wonder they're all dressed funny and talking strange. I bet that's Latin they're speaking! Damnit! I should've paid better attention to the nuns in school when they forced it on us! That fucking tunnel of light that messed up my chopper must've been some kinda Bermuda Triangle thing! And I'm in the past now?! Dear God what do I do? I've gotta get outta here! Back to the chopper! Find some way to get it outta the marsh and make it fly again! If anything, to at least get away from these Romans! Romans were fucking BRUTAL as a people! Sick! Brutal! Oh My God! -

Quickly, Diana brings her breathing back under control, knowing that the man is probably wondering why she acted suddenly fearful when she has shown no fear up until now. "OK Max. I think I understand what's going on now. You found me and think that means I'm fair game, right?"

"Of course," he replies, amused at how one moment the strangely fearless female was daring to demand of him and the next went pale with fright and is now acting like it never happened. - A mystery I will enjoy solving for my Caesar, - he thinks with unusual anticipation. "But this be no game, Woman. Although I am fair, you shall soon see."

"Well you're wrong, bud. I'm my own woman. Now just let me go, and we'll forget this whole thing." - What are the chances if I stay firm, he'll actually let me go? Not likely, but I'm not about to start blubbering like a cadet! -

Maximus laughs again, "You will not go anywhere except to my tent later after you have been cleaned properly."

"Oh no!" she cries indignantly. "I don't know what you're thinking, bud, but THAT is NOT happening."

"Who is this Bud you refer to?" he cocks his head with even more interest. "Your master, father . lover?" - No longer. -

"Never mind," she mumbles, "but I do want to get cleaned up. This place stinks."

"There is no unpleasant odor!" he snaps, insulted. "But I will take you to the lake myself now. We miss the formal city baths, but the lake does its duty by us."

Turning his back on her, he walks to the door, fully expecting her to follow, which she does, of course, happy to be out of the cell and possibly find a way to escape. A few words to his men, and she catches sight of an elderly man quickly running to follow behind them.

Down the short path they come to a beautiful lake with people swimming and bathing, and even soap bubbles floating on the water, she is happy to see. The water reminds her of how thirsty she is. - But I'll be damned if I'll ask Conan for a drink or risk taking one from the lake water yet. -

Maximus walks right past the main part of the lake to a small outlet in a much more secluded spot, and Diana sees now steam rising from the water. - A hot spring! Yes! That'll sure feel good right now! And maybe I can drown ape-boy and take off too! -

Unfortunately, although his soldiers did not follow them from the camp, there are guards posted around the spring as a reminder to all that only General Maximus and those he personally invites are allowed in this part of the lake. Nodding to his men in greeting, he immediately strips what little clothing he wears off and is soon standing unselfconsciously bare in all his glory before her.


CHAPTER 3

- Oh My Fucking God! - Diana gasps inwardly when she realizes that he's standing completely nude as if it were nothing. - Wait a minute! It IS nothing ... to him. Weren't Romans big on public bathing? This is probably normal to him. I gotta act normal too. Eyes above the waist! - And after the first shocked glance down there, she studiously keeps her eyes high, taking in his extraordinary muscular chest, covered sparsely with dark curly hair, and broad shoulders.

Even if Diana HAD looked below again, she would not have seen any arousal, as Maximus is well versed in how to keep it under control at the public baths. However, this time it is taking much more control for him, as he realizes ruefully that this specific female is bringing out in him feelings of almost uncontrollable desire that he has not felt for anyone since puberty. - Gods, I miss my wife, - he thinks briefly.

"Turn around and I will untie you now," he commands quite tersely to keep the crack of lust out of his voice.

When she doesn't move again after he has untied her, another command, "Shed your garments, Woman, or I shall do it for you. You desired cleanliness. Now is the time."

"OK, OK," she says, feeling fairly confident now that she understands that people in this ancient time didn't go around attacking each other at their bathing spots. - Romans were barbarians in lots of ways, but they also had rules of conduct and basic civilization. Guess I'm safe from him here. -

Slowly her clothes come off, as he watches with interest in how all the garments work; her black combat boots, socks, leather jacket, t-shirt and army pants, until she is standing in her red bra and panties. Naturally, Maximus has never seen a modern bra or anything quite like it, and he furrows his eyes at it, reaching out to touch the strange looking garment and pull off the metal chain of tags she is wearing around her neck.

"Uh uh," she shakes her head and just barely manages to step back out of his outstretched arms. Moving too quickly, however, Diana slips on the wet rocks, and if not for Maximus jumping to grab her tight against him, she would have plunged face first into the water.

His hands are holding her arms, and she looks up fearfully now at his face that is struggling to stay blank. - By the Gods, this female arouses me! - he thinks, as he desperately tries to keep himself flaccid. "What is this?" he growls to distract himself, ripping the tags off her to see strange writing on them. "What man's house claims you? Tell me now!"

"I told you," she cries, trying to pull away from him. "I'm my own woman. It's just . just jewelry, nothing more!"

"Impossible," he snorts. "But no matter. When your master comes for you, I will either purchase you from him or slay him." - Whether she is a gift from the Gods or a runaway from her master, she belongs to me now. - And with that firm decision made, he pushes her away and climbs into the water.

When he has settled on the other side of the 'bath', Diana proceeds to put her foot into the water. "No garments allowed in a bath," he tells her. "Do you not know this simple etiquette?"

With a shake of her head, she hesitates for a moment, glancing at the guards who are openly staring at her like Maximus, but she soon slips them off, happy to see that at least their commander has deliberately turned his face away from her now. Diana would not be happy, however, if she knew it was done not out of chivalry but out of simple desperation in a man trying to keep his calm about him.

Thankful that the water comes up to her shoulders, she grabs a piece of soap and begins to bathe and watch at the same time as Maximus focuses on his own bathing. - I do not need to see those firm breasts of hers. Not here where I must remain in control. They are only breasts. By Jupiter, I have seen dozens of breasts! -

The elderly man that followed them has sat back on the rocks and waited the entire time for Maximus to give him a signal. And when Maximus sees that his newest slave has finished bathing and is sitting back enjoying the warm water, he gives that signal and watches with interest as the other man reaches over and touches her head gently. Diana starts, turning her head around and scooting away from the edge. "I called for him to look at your head wound," Maximus speaks in a much softer voice this time. "He is my personal physician, second only to Caesar's."

"Ohhh . OK," she says, not about to thank the man who is holding her prisoner. Looking up at the physician, and not seeing anything but normal compassion for a patient, she leans back and lets him inspect her head.

"General Maximus," the physician soon says. "I believe she is fit, but any internal injury she may have needs a chance to heal if you wish to keep her well." A grunt from Maximus, a nod of thanks to the man, and the physician is waved away.

"Done," he grunts now to Diana, after having enjoyed the sight of watching her sigh and lean back in the water for a few minutes. - Breathtaking! With the sweat, smoke and dirt removed from her hair and face, she is even more beautiful than before! A rival even for the Goddess Aphrodite. -

He steps out, and this time she can't help but watch him move, moving with an unmatched grace that exudes raw male power. And it is a power so palatable, exhibiting the hardest, tightest backside with rippling muscles she has ever seen on a man, that Diana hitches in a breath of unwanted desire. - Whoa! He's fucking built! Solid and tall! - But when Maximus turns around, drying himself off with a towel provided by one of his guards, she realizes with a start that his very long, thick penis is not circumcised. - Well duh! - she thinks after a moment. - He wouldn't BE now, would he? Circumcism isn't exactly the popular choice in this day and age. -

Maximus, feeling intent eyes on him, looks over to see her staring at his member. In response, it twitches, and he quickly throws his loincloth and tunic back on. - I will NOT show desire at a bath! I am NOT a virgin boy! - And Diana, looking back up at his face, realizes that he knows that she was staring and quickly turns away to climb out and dry herself off, carefully keeping her back to him. Holding the towel to herself, she grabs her dirty clothes and starts to put them back on, until Maximus places his hand on her arm and says, "Nay, they must be cleaned."

"Just a minute, Max," she says, turning to him with the towel tight around her. "I'm not walking naked through your camp."

He smiles nicely to her for the first time, a very charming almost crooked smile, she can't help but admit. "Of course not, although if I wish it, you would. You may wear my robe for now." And he hands her his large warm robe of fur and leather.

With no other choice, she slips it on and immediately smells his strong natural musky scent all around her now. For a moment, Diana comes very close to shrugging the robe off, not in disgust but in simple desire to keep her mind clear. But realizing that the odor of this man is not actually unpleasant, just strange for someone used to modern day deodorants and colognes, she closes it around herself and 'allows' him to hold her arm and lead her past the general area bathers.

It is such a strange sight, to see a female wearing the Great General's robe, that they stare in amazement while Maximus and Diana both do their best to ignore it. When they reach the path back to camp, however, she pulls out of his grip again and falls behind him. - We're alone now, and I feel a lot better. Maybe I should try to take him out and run. -

Maximus, as though sensing the change in her, turns his head and smirks. "Do not even think of it. Runaways are punished severely, and attacking a Roman is a severe crime. You would not get far."

Sullenly, she stares at him until he turns his head back with a chuckle and continues walking. - I'll get away, you arrogant brute, - she promises herself.

Close to the cell again, he says now in an almost pleasant tone, "I will give you a choice, Woman; back in the cell where you will be tied again for the day and night or to my tent where you will have freedom of movement. Although, if you step outside without my leave, my men will be told they may run you through."

"I'll take the cell," she lifts her head haughtily, astounding him.

Remaining silent in surprise at someone choosing the cell over the luxury of his tent, he pushes her very roughly into it, pulls his robe off to leave her nude, ties her hands in front this time, and slams the door behind him. The rest of the day Diana spends alone, given nothing at his orders. - She will not eat a morsel or drink until she comes to my tent. By the Gods, she is mine and will learn her place! - And he wonders occasionally throughout the day if he should just put his wife out of his mind and take her. - It will certainly break her, - he thinks confidently. - I can teach her discipline in my bed. -

Many men discipline their male and female slaves in that way, and although Maximus has never had to do it before, the way this woman angers him with her defiance is making him sure he could do it, if necessary. - I do not HAVE to stay true to Maria. She told me herself she did not expect me to. That it would not mean I love her any less if I take another woman during these three years away from each other. 'Tis only that I have not felt the NEED to feel female flesh until this stranger. My pleasure urges have been taken care of satisfactory enough by my favorite slave. -

"Cicero!" he shouts later that day when he walks into his tent, feeling the arousal that he had kept contained from the bath come to the forefront now.

"Yes My Lord," the young slave says with a low bow.

"Into my chamber," he growls, ready to let the only hands and mouth touch him that he has allowed these last three years, hands and mouth belonging to a child he had rescued from a village that had been plundered by barbarians, hands and mouth belonging to .. a boy.


CHAPTER 4

The boy had only been 15 when Maximus rescued him from barbarians almost three years ago at the start of his last war campaign away from home, and with his new master's gentle protective ways, Cicero soon learned to crave the general's touch. For three years he has been well taken of and never harmed in any way . the perfect slave for household and eventually bedchamber needs.

Cicero smiles to himself now, truly happy to please his master whenever he calls for him, as Maximus, although never willing to kiss or touch Cicero intimately, always allows the boy to stroke himself while he takes his master in his mouth or in his rump, thereby giving them both pleasure. And it pleases Cicero very much that his master shows no interest in any of the other slaves, male or female, in this way, content to only take Cicero when the need arises.

The boy-man does lament at times at knowing some of the other male slaves have more outwardly loving masters, men who stroke and kiss them and show all around that they belong to them. But Maximus has never brought pain to him, even in anger like some of the others do when they lose their temper, and he has promised Cicero his freedom as soon as the Emperor releases him from duty to return to his wife and his homeland. He has even told Cicero that if he does not have anywhere he wishes to go on that day of freedom, that he is welcome to return to his farm with him and work there for fair wages until he dies of old age. Maximus was careful at that point, however, to state to the boy that there would no longer be a physical relationship between them if he chose to remain with him and his wife as a freeman. He has tried to make sure, that although he cares deeply for Cicero now, that his slave understands he will not need use of his body once he is with his loving wife agai!
n.

Appreciating his master's honesty and generosity, Cicero has completely fallen in love with the General of Rome. And although Maximus does not demonstrate his occasional desire for his slave in public settings, it is well known by all that Cicero is more than just the general's house slave. He is certainly not trying to hide anything, of course, as relations between men are just as common as between men and women. Maximus is just not the sort of man who is demonstrative with anyone, especially in public, and he only makes sure with specific predatory looks at times to Cicero in public, that no one will ever dare approach the slender male slave for favors behind his master's back.

In his chamber, where he always sleeps alone but takes care of his physical needs, Maximus pushes, much more roughly than usual, Cicero to his hands and knees and rips off the boy's slave tunic, tearing it in half in his fury to get release. Cicero, of course, doesn't understand the change in his normally gentle master, but he does not dare move and submissively presents his backside high in the air, waiting for the first sting of pain that he knows will come from his master's size before turning to the highly intense pleasure that he so fully enjoys.

Maximus, looking at the slender rounded behind, for a moment pictures long dark red hair in front of him. It is something he should not have done. Soon, he is slamming angrily into the boy, and Cicero gasps in much more pain than normal at the suddenness of the attack. "Hold!" Maximus growls and grabs his slave by the neck and hip when the boy can't help but try to pull away this time.

"My Lord!" he cries. "Please!" And the pain-filled cry breaks through the red haze in Maximus, who instantly regrets that he has hurt his favorite slave. He immediately stops moving and waits for Cicero to adjust and move on his own, as he is quite sure the boy will in time.

He's right. Short minutes pass and Cicero sighs, rocking back for more on his own accord, and Maximus lets loose again, thrusting deeply the way he likes. But this time Cicero is ready and wanting, and he takes every emotionally filled advance without pain until he hears the familiar faintest of sighs from Maximus, telling him that his master has just found his release. Cicero, on the other hand, does not even try to hold back his pleasure, and he cries out loudly as he jets elatedly onto his own hand.

Maximus is always pleased that the boy finds fulfillment too, and he often marvels at how well he can take his size. The General of Rome, however, has never had any desire to lose his restraint when taking a male or female, even his wife. He always holds back his cries of pleasure, allowing only the faint sigh as a polite signal to his partner that he is pleased with their performance. It is something his wife would often tease him about it, wanting to hear more from her beloved spouse, but Maximus would simply smile and tell her that the man in charge of Caesar's army cannot be heard losing control, not even in the privacy of his own bedchamber. And being that he is a very busy man now, unlike in his impetuous care-free youth, Maximus is also not one for dallying once both participants have had their pleasure, and he withdraws from Cicero to wash himself with a small basin of water before fixing his garments again.

Casually watching his slave, he allows Cicero a small nod of satisfaction, as the boy bows in gratitude and leaves the room like usual. Maximus knows that the boy wants to sleep with him, be embraced and kissed. - But that is only to be shared with my wife. I need it not with another. I can wait no matter how well she would understand like so many wise wives do for the needs of their men on campaigns. -

It is only afternoon now, and he heads back out to meet with his lieutenants to discuss the upcoming battle with the Quadi barbarians. There are many plans to finalize, although Maximus is certain of ultimate victory. He has yet to lose a battle and has well earned his upcoming retirement at 30 years of age.

Talk naturally turns to the strange female prisoner, and he rushes through it, nodding with a good-natured smile when they tease him about her eye-pleasing attributes that many saw clearly at the lake. "Aye, she is truly a beauty," he concedes. "She will make a fine addition to my hearth soon." - Assuming I can break her without killing her. -

"Cicero will not like sharing that hearth," one of his men remarks.

"Cicero will do what he is told," Maximus snaps. "There is no issue between my male and female slaves, and there will not be one now." Maximus has brought to the camp four personal slaves of his from his city home in Rome; two male slaves and two female slaves to keep his large tent, his belongings, his horses and everything in order for such a long war campaign. At his other home, his majestic farm in Hispania, he has a wife, a young son, and more slaves.

The camp slaves know what must be done daily, and he rarely talks to any of them besides Cicero, who had soon, although being the youngest of them, became their unofficial leader. It is common practice for any slave who pleasures the master of the house most often to take on the slave leadership role in that household, and most masters do not care, as long as all their needs are always met first.

After the strategy session, he talks of camp matters for a while and then leaves the command tent to walk by the cell. - She is watching me, - he can sense, and it makes him frown openly in her direction, as he walks away for his evening meal. -The female must be very hungry and thirsty by now if she has not had nourishment since the morn of the yester day. And she may not be uncomfortable with her bare skin in the warmth of the day for now, but when darkness falls, she will soon regret not accepting my offer of a warm tent. -

He's right again. Diana is not only starving with hunger pains, she is beyond thirsty now and is sitting slumped on the hay, afraid to shed a tear for fear of becoming even more dehydrated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later, with his belly full of good food and wine, Maximus decides to check on her before retiring for the night, a bit more worried about her well-being than he'd care to admit out loud. He walks in to find her look up at him with obvious anticipation when she sees the flask in his hand. Diana tries in vain to struggle to her feet, but she is too weakened now, and Maximus instantly takes pity on her, crouching down to hold the flask to her swollen, cracked lips.

Gulping it down, she stares at him. - How the hell can he keep me tied up, naked and starving, and then come back with water? What the fuck is his deal? -

"Enough," he says, pulling it away from her grasping lips. "You will become sick if you drink too much too soon."

"If I get sick, it's because you're treating me like an animal," she retorts with a glare in her eyes.

"Nay," he answers, checking her binds again. - Perhaps I should tie them behind her back for the night. -- "I treat my animals better. You will see in the morn, if you have come to your senses."

"Don't count on it," she snarls. - Thank God! With my hands still like this, I can bust outta here tonight! -

In response, he forcibly shoves her back into the hay and stands up. "You will also see what happens to people who dare to disrespect the General of Rome."

A roll of green eyes at him, and it takes every ounce of Maximus' self-control not to brutally kick her. But knowing that his prisoner is defenseless and a mere female on top of it, he manages to regain his senses, and, with outward calm, he walks back to his tent for the night.



CHAPTER 5

In the very early pre-dawn hours Maximus wakes, sensing, like the finely tuned commander that he is, that something has just happened in his camp. He throws his garments over his bare body, grabs his sword and dagger and walks quietly around the camp, searching for anything unusual. The normal sounds of people sleeping or rutting and animals being animals are all that fill the misty air, and he wonders at first if he could have been mistaken. He soon realizes that he is not, however, when he comes to the cell and sees that one of the wall boards has been broken, broken just enough to let a small body slip through.

- By the Gods, how? - he wonders until he sees the single night guard sleeping on duty. - I will deal with him later. And now I know I should have re-tied her hands behind her. An error of judgment I will NOT make again. - Running quickly into the forest, Maximus has little problem finding her tracks to follow.

Diana, of course, knows how to cover tracks, but she was more interested in putting as much distance between herself and the camp that she had left only minutes before. Her only frantic thoughts now are to get back to her chopper and try to get it to fly, or, at least, to get to her two guns on board. - And a blanket! I'm fucking freezing now! Leaving me naked like this! Who the hell does he think he is?! Oh yeah, the I'm-So-Great-General of the Rockin' Roman army. Big fucking deal! If your army was so great, Romans would still be around! -

Not long, she hears someone crashing through the foliage behind her and knows instinctively that is must be the Roman commander coming after his escaping prisoner. - SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! He said bad punishment for runaways! -

THUD! Diana trips on a fallen tree, and before she can get back up, Maximus leaps at her and they roll together on the forest ground. She's fighting for her life now, but on the ground, hand-to-hand with a much larger person who is just as fast as her, what little defense she had is almost nil, and he soon manages to lift her to her feet and slam her bruised and beaten body ruthlessly against a tree. Her forehead cracks against the solid truck, and he savagely begins to pull up on her arms behind her. "I give up! You're breaking my arms!"

"I will break more than your arms, Wench," he snarls by her ear. "How dare you run from me? You will pay dearly for this!" And he swings her around to face him, intending to throw her over his shoulder again, but this time her arms aren't tied, and standing now, Diana has a chance. She swings at him, putting all her army-trained muscle into a punch to his stomach.

"CHRIST!" she yelps, pulling her hand back and cradling it in pain. She's never punched abs any where near as hard as his before, and Colonel Diana Meridus has been in plenty of fights and brought down more than her fair share of men. This time, however, she knows she's met her match, whether she wants to admit it or not.

Maximus, never expecting a woman could hurt him like that, grunted in unexpected pain from the strength of the blow, but did not crumple over like Diana had hoped. And doing now the only thing he can think of to get her back to camp without killing her, he punches her head hard in the area he knows is wounded from the 'chariot', knocking her out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late that afternoon, Diana awakes to cold water being splashed on her shivering bare body. She is standing and tied, facing into a large wooden cross in the middle of the camp. The soldier who was her cell guard is also tied to a cross, but he is allowed to wear his loincloth, as being a soldier of the Roman army, he is naturally afforded more privacy than a prisoner or slave.

Seeing the crosses, her first thought of horror is, - Oh My God! When he said punishment, did he mean crucification?! Like they did to Jesus?! This is too fucking unreal! - Her legs are not bound, however, only her arms high above her, and she notices now that the soldier is not actually bound at all. He is simply holding his hands to the wood above him, as he will not dare move and bring an even worse punishment upon him.

"Max!" she starts yelling, at seeing Maximus standing with a long leather lash in his hand. "Let him go! I hit him! It wasn't his fault!" - Jesus Christ, he's gonna whip us! -


Maximus narrows his eyes, thinking, - Incredible, now she is defending the guard. Why would a lowly female care about a man? - "Impossible. You could not render unconscious a soldier of the Roman army . MY army."

"Oh yeah!" she snorts, trying to hide her escalating fear at watching him run the lash through his hands. "Then how did I manage to flip you in the swamp?! Explain that, you pompous ass!"

With a guttural incomprehensible growl of exclamation, he walks up to the soldier and whispers in his ear so that no one else will hear, "The female says she hit you. Be this true? You were not sleeping?" As a wise general, Maximus has no desire to humiliate his man, only punish him, as expected, for falling asleep.

The soldier lowers his eyes in shame. He has not actually lied to his general. It was assumed he had fallen asleep, and he let his superiors believe it. But he cannot bring himself to speak false to him, not to someone so respected as this man he would give his life for without hesitation. "Aye General. She hit me from behind. I did not sleep at my post. I beg forgiveness for allowing her to escape and gladly shall receive my punishment for it."

Maximus knows, of course, that the man must be feeling tremendous shame and why he would want it to be thought that he had fallen asleep instead. Pulling back from his soldier, he contemplates on what to do now. - Very well. It will do no good for his manhood to be threatened if the camp knows that a female did this to him. I will still punish him, just not as severely as planned. -

Diana, hoping that her point had been made from seeing the look on the two men's faces near her, is feeling a little better thinking that she has saved a man from an undeserved whipping, and shouts suddenly in horror, "NO!" when Maximus raises the lash and strikes the man's back hard enough to break the skin.

The man trembles but does not cry out. He may be feeling pain, but he is immensely grateful that his commander cares enough about him to not let him be publicly humiliated by the truth. He knows and understands that he must be punished like normal in order to hide his shame from the others. - Do not understand why the female would try to protect me from the lash. ' Tis very strange. Only a comrade in arms would do that. -

"You bastard!" Diana shouts at Maximus, whose eyes turn cold onto hers. The general is furious at this woman for making him lash, without cause, his man. It is paining him greatly to do it, but do it he must to save the man's dignity.

The lash falls again, again and again until the soldier's back is running blood from six long lashes. Punishment for falling asleep would have been twelve deep strikes, but Maximus' sense of fairness automatically cut it in half, and the man is so grateful as it is, that he would have eagerly taken 30 if his general had decreed it.

Diana is also furious, watching the innocent man sweat and bleed in the sun under the lash while he forcibly bites back his pain that has all been caused by her. - Brutal! I KNEW they were brutal! Fucking sick bastards, these Romans! -

"Turn your head away," Maximus orders her. "I do not wish to mark your face." - Although if I did, I would wager she would dim those eyes of fire she dares to hold on me. -

The green eyes of fire stare at him for a long moment, a battle of wills, one of many they both suspect, until Diana finally grits her teeth and complies, having no desire to possibly lose an eye in such a way. She wants to relax her muscles to try to absorb the lash, but her fear and anger is overwhelming, and tensing up now, Diana is left to wait in dread for the first sting of that wicked lash to land on her.

Maximus may not have wanted to strike his man, but he is suddenly feeling quite ill to his stomach as he stares at his latest piece of property about to receive standard punishment . her perfect pale unmarked skin, the beautiful curve of her flesh, and strangely, although very interesting and alluring, the subtle lines of firm muscle from her shoulders to her calves, unlike the backside of any woman he knows. The man has never had to punish a female slave like this before, but then again, none have ever tried to run away. Only a male or two in the long time past who needed a once-over lashing, and after learning their lesson by that, were very grateful to live in a camp run by Caesar's General rather than by other sadistic regents.

With an inward sigh, Maximus strikes. "Ughhhh," Diana moans under her breath, barely holding it in from a type of pain she's never felt before.

Maximus is sweating now in indecision. - One lash. 'Tis enough, - he thinks, looking around at all the spectators. - But if I do not lash her again, they will think I have let a female turn me weak. - He clenches his jaw, swallows down his nausea and strikes her again. Trying very hard not to hit the same spot on her back, Maximus is quite thankful that his control of the lash is such that he has not even broken the skin. It was one thing to bleed the soldier, something that his man actually wanted him to do for the benefit of the camp, but nothing short of this female physically attacking him in public will make him break that creamy skin of hers.

Diana's body shakes for a moment, and she quickly bites down hard on her lips to keep from crying out. - That's two, you motherfucker! -

CRACK! He strikes her a third time, this time across the ass, and her control breaks. With an audible yelp, Diana begins pulling frantically on the ropes holding her hands. - Oh My God that hurts! -

For some strange reason, the sight of two lashes on her back may have been making Maximus sick, but the bright red mark across her trembling ass is now arousing him. Hearing her cry out and seeing her pull on the ropes is too much for him, and he's man enough to admit it. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he looks at the eager faces of his camp and realizes that, like him, they are beginning to enjoy this a bit too much. The strong primitive male within Maximus may want to strike that perfect little ass of hers again, his loins quickening in anticipation of hearing her cry and seeing her tremble, but the human in him will not do it. Three lashes are all she will receive no matter how much his manhood and the men around him may want to see more.

"Take her down," he orders one of them. "Bring her to the lake to bathe, give her a clean slave tunic, and bring her to my tent. Do NOT mishandle her . in any way."

Walking back to his punished soldier, he whispers in his ear, "You did well. Be proud. Your secret stays with me." And the man nods in thanks, releases the cross and walks gratefully away.

Before Maximus, himself, has a chance to move away from the crosses, he hears his stunted name snarled from the angry lips of the female. "Max, you're going to wish you had never found me."

Her foolish threat breaks his straining control, and he moves to her side so fast that she barely has time to blink. One large calloused hand has gripped the back of her neck to push the side of her face into the pole. "You will watch your tongue, Wench, or you will wish I had beaten you into oblivion." And he begins to squeeze so hard that Diana is suddenly sure that her neck is about to be snapped like a toothpick under the tremendous pressure.

Staring in mind-numbing fear into his blue eyes gone wild, seeing his face shaking in rage, sweat dripping in exertion right next to her own, the American Colonel quickly decides that she had better lower her eyes to the Roman General .... NOW, - Oh My God! He's really gonna kill me! -

A heartbeat, and his hand drops from her neck in acceptance of her surrender. Lowering her eyes in submission did not actually save Diana's life, however, as Maximus never had any true intention of snapping her neck, only cowing her. He was quite prepared, if necessary, to hold her there all day like that, knowing that most anyone in that position would have submitted to him sooner or later. And now that she has, he is very pleased. - Although, I suspect she only did it because she truly feared for her life. If this female does not keep to her womanly place, she will fear for more than her life when I am done with her. -

The soldier cuts her down, pushes her towards the path to the lake, and Diana, in no shape to complain, takes her time cleaning up. The short sleeveless tunic, almost reaching to mid-thigh, is far from her liking, especially the low cut in front, exposing much of her cleavage, but it is better than nothing, and she finds herself wishing now that she were allowed to wear shoes of some kind too. - The men are all wearing those weird booted sandals. It's just the slaves and most of the women who are barefoot. Goddamn savages! -

Following the soldier back to the camp, Diana begins reflecting on the fact that her private guard had watched her closely the entire time, but he had never made one inappropriate move on her, acting almost as though he were actually afraid to touch her. - Asshole probably doesn't want his fucking prize tenderized! -

All eyes are on her, as usual, as they walk through the camp, and she is led to a very large tent where the man opens the flap for her. - Damn, must be the big guy's tent. Well, I'm sick of that cell. Never be able to get out of it again, I'm sure. Time to show his royal ass-ness he can't push an American around anymore. - And she steps in, almost entirely without fear.

Maximus is not in the outer room, and Diana realizes now that the tent is not just large, it's huge with more than an extra room or two like she had expected. A slender boy, not much taller than her 5' 6" with scarring on one side of his otherwise attractive face, steps into the 'foyer' and thanks the soldier for bringing the new slave. As soon as the man leaves, she looks closer at the boy and quickly assesses him as physically weaker than her. - I could take him out in a minute and run again! - And just as she tenses to attack Cicero, Maximus steps out, sees the obvious aggressive body stance aimed at his favorite slave, and swiftly steps between them.

The man is right in assuming that if the female could harm one of his soldiers and even throw HIM once, than she could surely do much worse to his gentle boy. "Do not ever touch him," he growls in warning to her. "Him or anyone in my household or I will make sure the lash renders blood next time."

"Look Max," she says, willing her body to relax. "I'll say it again. You have NO right to hold me."

"You are not a citizen of Rome. I have EVERY right to hold you." But a sudden thought comes to mind, and his eyes narrow dangerously as he considers it. "Whom were you running to from me? Your lover? Your husband? Who owns you, Woman?!" And Maximus really feels it now, his blood boiling this time in thinking that a lover may be waiting to claim her back.

"No one owns me!" she immediately spits indignantly. For just a second, though, Diana wonders if she should have simply lied to him, told him that she has a husband in the forest looking for her. But feeling such raw intensity radiating from the most masculine man she's ever met makes her realize that nothing would matter. The fictional husband would have few, if any, rights, - And I don't think this ape is gonna let me go for anything. -

Within seconds, the ape confirms it with a simple statement of archaic possession. "I own you now. No man will take you from me."

"I give up," Diana sighs loudly, throwing her hands up in frustration.

A full-fledged grin splits Maximus' face, taking her words literally, and, for a moment, she looks at the happiness now radiating from his features and realizes again just how very handsome he is, - for a chauvinistic barbarian! -

"You must be hungry," he says with the brightest of smiles. "Come."

Watching him walk towards another room, Diana takes a quick glance around and sees only the boy near her, the boy who is starring daggers at her. That tent flap behind her is beckoning her to run, but Maximus, peering over his shoulder from just inside the other room, says again with even less of an order in his tone this time, "Woman, come eat with me."

Grumbling to herself, "My name is Diana, dickhead," she follows him towards the mouth-watering smell of cooking meat that is tempting her very empty stomach now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At a low table on large soft pillows, they sit across from each other, as slaves scurry back and forth bringing them food and wine. The boy, she sees, is standing quietly in the corner watching their every move. Diana has no way of knowing that Maximus has never allowed anyone but a free citizen of Rome to eat at his table before. It simply isn't done any other way, until now.

Watching carefully what he eats, and wondering if the man would go to so much trouble to re-capture and punish her if he were just going to poison her, Diana hesitantly takes a bite of food. Maximus is still smiling, that slightly crooked smile that would be rather nice on a movie star, she thinks, and proceeds to lick gravy off his fingers, saying with an intrigued turn of his head, "I know that look. You fear poisoning. What kind of woman would have worry of poison?"

"A woman who's been in combat and held prisoner before," she snaps, pulling her eyes off his tongue, as she quickly stuffs more food in her mouth.

"Combat?" his head tips even more, eyeing her cynically. "You claim to be a soldier?"

"Yeah, I'm a soldier of rank, like you. Although not quite as high up the ladder, I admit. More like one of your high captains," she tries to explain.
"Impossible," he smiles indulgently. "You jest." - Although, I have heard odd stories of savage warrior women in the far south jungles who do not live with men. Stories I would never consider true until now. -

"No joke." And she says those two words with such serious eyes that Maximus is fairly certain the woman is not speaking false to him.

"If you are a soldier, why are you here?" he sits up straighter again. "To bring reports of my army back to your people? Back to the Quadi we are planning to war with soon?" - If she is truly an enemy soldier, 'tis my duty to slay her, eventually. -

"What? No! I'm not your enemy," she answers quickly. - Shit! If he thinks I'm really an enemy of their oh-so-fucking glorious Rome, he'll probably crucify me or never let up his guard so I can get away! -

A hand rubs at his jaw thoughtfully. "You claim not to be an enemy, and I do know you spoke the truth and tried to protect my soldier from the lash, yet you attacked me, the General of Rome. Only an enemy would do that."

"I attacked you because you were chasing me!" she cries in defense. "And if I hadn't fallen, you never would have caught me!"

"Is that so?" he smiles with amusement now. "Your white rump was not a hard sight to miss in the chase. And 'twas no trouble to hold you to the ground and to the tree."

"Like to see you try it again, big guy," her eyes narrow, remembering.

"You wish me to hold you again?" he takes her literally, of course. "Strike my fist another unto your head?" - I would rather not, but I will do what I must to hold this one. -

"No," her head shakes, realizing he's serious. "But how about a barter? Or a wager?" - Seems to me the history books said that Romans were really into gambling sports. Guess the bloodthirsty testosterone-filled apes needed other outlets besides warring and fucking with no Playstations around to keep'em busy like modern men! -

"You have nothing to barter," his brow knits, confused at why she would bring up the prospect of a trade or wager.

"How about this? I won't try to run away again," she starts, noticing how his eyes immediately narrow at her mentioning running away, "if I lose by not being able to throw you to the ground again."

"And what do you wish if you win?" he laughs loudly, knowing that he will never lose a wager to a woman. - Aye, she threw me once, but never again. -

"Let me go."

"Nay," he instantly answers. - I will NEVER let one such as her go. -

"Why not? Unless you're afraid I'll win?" she says lightly with a tilt of her head.

"You will not win," he states as though announcing that the sky is blue. "But I will not wager your freedom."

"How about this instead then? Just give me a head start, a few hours and then you can try to capture me again. A sport?" - Just enough time to get a gun and shoot your ass! -

"Let us say the impossible and you do throw me again. If I capture you, which I will, you will take your place willingly at my hearth? No more lashings?"

"Sure," Diana easily lies, willing to say anything she has to in order to get that head start she needs.

Maximus can sense that she is lying. He didn't become a general and live this long in the venomous court of Caesar without usually knowing when someone is directly lying to him. But he decides to accept it, knowing with all the arrogance of a man of that time that it will not even come to that. - No female will win a wager with me. And if, by chance, the Gods shine on her and she does, I will simply capture her again and chain her to my bed to keep her in check. -

He stands up with the order. "Into my bedchamber for the wager." - I do not wish for any prying eyes to see what we are about to do. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If I throw you, I win," she says. - Have to be sure the brute understands. -

"Aye, you win. A fair head start and then the chase begins."

"I want my clothes back first. I can't run as well like this." - Not like I got anything to lose by asking! -

"Aye," he surprises her by agreeing. "You may have your strange garments for the run." - And when I re-capture you, it will be the slave tunic once more. -

"Well then," she smiles up at him in a not so friendly smile and wiggles her fingers tauntingly at him, "let's go, big guy."

Over-confident again in his cocky male pride, Maximus lunges, and the next thing he knows, he's staring up at the ceiling of his tent. "Gods!" he hisses and jumps to his feet. "How do you do that?"

"Well," Diana smirks triumphantly, "if you capture me again, maybe I'll show you. Now how about those clothes we agreed on?"

"Aye, I keep my word," he grunts reluctantly and whistles towards the door flap of the room.

Within seconds, a young attractive female slave appears and is told to fetch the strange garments at once. The woman comes back as soon as she can and hands Maximus the items, and he purposely waits for her to leave his bedchamber before handing them to Diana. As fast as she can, she sheds the slave tunic and slips her clothes on; very aware of his heated eyes watching her closely. - Like to tell him to turn around. But hell, he's already seen what I got, about to let me go, so I guess I better not push my luck with a guy used to getting everything he wants. -

Neither has noticed that Cicero has seen the entire thing from his hiding place, a small part of the large room that Maximus has never bothered to look closely into. The young slave is shocked that the female threw his master so easily and now appears that she is being allowed to leave. But he is glad. He could see fully the lust on his master's face as he watched her dress, and Cicero very much wants her out of the tent because of it. - Maximus NEVER shows desire for anyone but me! I will not lose him to her! I will not lose my place at his hearth! -

It is dark now, and Maximus quietly leads her out of the camp to stand in a small clearing under the moon. "I will come for you at sunrise," he says with confidence, not a single doubt in his mind that he will not be able to find her again. - She is no enemy of Rome. She is a gift from the Gods, a gift like a thorned rose that pricks as much as it pleasures. But I will find her again. 'Tis the Gods will that she belong to me. - "And Woman," he continues, "I know you spoke falsely and will not stay with me willingly when I bring you back. I will beat you senseless or chain your body. So prepare thyself, I warn you now. You are mine, and I will not let you go again after this foolishness."

"We'll see, Conan. Chow." And Diana forces herself to walk casually into the forest, very tempted to run, but not about to give the man the satisfaction.

- Ko-nan? - he ponders while he watches her walk away, suddenly feeling now the slightest hint of worry at wondering if he is being a fool in living up to his side of the wager and that the woman may actually get away from him for good. - Hades! I cannot back out of it as much as I would like. My word is good, even to a woman or slave. -

CHAPTER 6

"Master?" Cicero asks quietly when Maximus re-enters his tent. "The strange one is gone?"

"Aye, for now," he sighs. "She will be back in the morn. Now leave me. I wish to sleep."

Tossing and turning in the large comfortable feather and rope-supported bed, he dreams of fire-breathing metallic beasts swooping out of the sky at his camp while he stands completely helpless in the destruction, waving his sword skyward as his men scream and die around him. Minutes before dawn he wakes, fully alert, hurriedly dresses and forces himself to walk quietly from the camp to the clearing where they parted. Adrenalin pumping through him, he keeps his word and waits until he sees the sun crest over the mountaintop in the distance. When he does, it's as though a lightning bolt has lanced through his body setting every nerve on fire, and he's off, sprinting eagerly into the forest after his much coveted prey.

Her trail is easy to follow again, he soon discovers. - She went right back to the flying chariot! - But there the trail ends. The chopper is still sitting motionless, as Diana was not able to get it started on her own, and now Maximus cannot tell which direction she has gone.

Diana knew he would come to the chopper to look for her, and once she retrieved her medic box, her two guns and the one blanket, she carefully covered her trail and fled to the mountainside, finding a small cave to hide in for a while to try to rest and take stock of her new situation.

Fighting down panic that he has lost this beautiful, enticing woman, Maximus says a quick prayer to the Goddess Diana of the Hunt and to the God Mars of War, the favorite God of most Romans, and begins to circle in an ever-widening sweep around the marsh, searching for a sign of her trail again. By mid-afternoon he is far from his camp and considers either heading back, knowing he won't make it by nightfall or keep going towards the mountains now. - I have much work at camp waiting for me. I should end this for now and return later. She is only a woman. How far can she possibly get on her own? - But thinking about the very UN-womanly things about this particular female, Maximus decides to keep traveling towards the mountain until full dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Under the full moon, his boot lashes out to extinguish the small fire, hearing now noises that could only be from men nearby. Stepping away from the embers with his sword drawn, Maximus has realized that in his desire to capture his prize again, he has inadvertently stepped directly into the Quadi territory. - No matter. They are not true swordsmen. I can handle a small party of them. -

The shadows around him suddenly erupt with howling, as a party of six attacks him with axes and swords. Being an expert from years of warfare, Maximus is able to kill four but is felled when an arrow hits him in the shoulder, and the remaining two throw a strong net over him, pinning him to the ground.

Grunting in pain, he tries but is unable to reach the arrow or even raise his sword to defend himself. And almost in slow motion, a completely helpless Maximus sees a battle-ax coming down towards his head, knowing he is about to die. Four thoughts go through his head; a prayer that he will go to Elysium and not Hades, regret that he did not find the woman named Diana of his House, regret that he will not see his fine son grow up, and regret that he has failed his Caesar by dieing before the final decisive battle for Germania.

BAM! The Quadi falls over dead, and Diana steps out of the shadows into the moonlight holding a small, strange weapon. Her face is purposely covered in camouflage grime, and her hair has been pulled back into a low ponytail behind her neck. If it were not for the strange garments she is still wearing, Maximus would not be sure that he would have even recognized her and would have mistaken her for a forest imp of some kind instead.

Silently, she raises the weapon in the direction of the other man, but he has already fled into the night, and she turns to leave the area, seeing that the only blood on Maximus is coming from a minor shoulder wound. His eyes glaze over, suddenly feeling very dizzy, and he knows now that the arrowhead must have been dipped in poison. "Diana," he reaches out, using her name for the first time, as his hands claw at the net. "Poison."

Watching him fall over, eyes closed and breathing haggard, Diana is faced with a hard decision. - Poison? Shit! I can't just let the big guy die. Can I? He fucking lashed me! And here I am saving his ass! But Christ, he stuck by his word and let me go, and he didn't break my skin like he easily could've. AND, he didn't rape me when I know damn well he thinks I'm attractive if that rod sticking into my ass on the horse ride was any indication. Plus, I doubt he'd want me for a slave if I weren't attractive enough for him. Those four slaves of his are all nice looking, even that kid with the scar. Didn't sense any fear from any of them towards the guy, not even from the girls. If anything, that boy was being hostile towards ME. So if Max dies, what happens to his slaves? Do they end up as meat for anyone? I know I shouldn't care, but . SHIT SHIT SHIT! - And she drags the net with him in it to her cave not far away.

Maximus is lying unconscious, as she pulls his outer garments of leather off followed by his plain sleeveless tunic, noting with immense thanks that he is wearing a loincloth. His weapons are quickly hidden with the net, and in one tug she pulls out the arrow and pours water over the wound. He doesn't even stir, although his face has turned quite white, and a sheen of perspiration is glistening all over his body. - Man, he could be a Calvin Klein model with this bod. -

Unfortunately, Diana has no way of knowing what type of poison was used, but it doesn't really matter, she only has one generic antidote, and hoping it is enough, she fills the syringe with it, taps the vein on his arm and plunges it in. - Now I just sit back and see if he dies or not. -

She soon realizes she can't, however, seeing him so helpless now, and she ends up staying up half the night wiping his sweat away and placing cool water rags on his skin to help with the fever. Exhausted, she finally falls asleep, curled up for the few remaining hours with her backside to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waking at the first hint of daylight, wondering with just a hint of worry on whether the guy had died or not, Diana tries to stand, but cannot. - Son of a bitch! - And she rolls again, feeling her hands bound behind her back, until she is finally standing. - Where is he? - she wonders, looking around the small cave. - Gotta get to his weapons I hid, cut these fucking cords before he gets back! -

"Do not waste your energy," comes the advisement, as he stands in the cave entrance watching her try to remain calm.

- Damnit! - Diana turns and sees that he's found everything.

"You bastard! Let me go! I saved your life!"

"Aye, you did," he agrees. "Magic you worked and cured the poison. And the magic that came from your strange weapon I know slayed the savage. But I made a promise, Woman, and I plan to keep it."

"What promise?" - What the fuck is he talking about? And stop calling me WOMAN! -

"I promised you that when I caught you, which I did," and he looks at her pointedly, "that I would either beat you or chain you. And since I do not wish to strike a person who has saved my life, and I do not have any chains at the moment, the rope from the net will have to suffice."

"I don't believe this," she mutters at the ground and kicks at rocks in frustration.

"Come." And with that order, he picks up her supplies and begins to walk away.

Several wordless miles later .."Hey Max?"

A grunt of a reply, without even bothering to glance back at her.

"How about tying my hands in front now? My shoulders are killing me like this." - Let's see just how stupid you really are, asshole. -

Turning around, his lip curls. "Do not think me so foolish to make that mistake twice. I know you slipped the binds using your teeth in the cell. 'Tis what any soldier would have done in your place. I am beginning to understand that now, as strange as it may seem." And brooking no further conversation, he turns back from her to continue their trip.

Only short stops are allowed to relieve themselves, which during, to Diana's further humiliation again, he makes her stay tied and pulls her pants down like before. Twice they kneel by a river for water, and, at this point, willing to drink from wherever he does, Diana sullenly allows her captor to pour the water into her open mouth from his cupped hand. By evening they have reached camp, and with no desire to deal with her any longer, Maximus immediately has his prisoner thrown into the cell again in order to attend to camp matters late into the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After sleeping much easier now that he has her again, he wakes at daybreak and orders four soldiers to get her bathed, make her put on a slave's tunic and bring her to him along with her strange garments. - She will not try to fight four of them, - he is sure, and, for once, correct.

Within the hour Diana is standing in the foyer of his tent, feeling much sicker to her stomach this time at wondering if the man is going to beat or chain her now like he had said he had promised himself. "Food?" he asks, very pleased to see her back in the slave's tunic where she belongs.

She nods, not having eaten since the dinner here and follows him to the table once again. "I don't suppose I can have my clothes back?"

"Nay, 'tis not proper for a slave," he answers, as he breaks the bread and hands her a large piece.

"So, I'm no longer a prisoner? I'm a slave now? Moving on up the food chain here," she drips with acid while quickly taking the bread from his hand.

"Aye, a slave of my hearth," he explains, the sarcasm entirely lost on him. "You are not a general camp slave. I have bestowed on you a blessed life as my property. No one will dare harm you."

"Well gee, thanks," she rolls her eyes at him, "but back to my clothes, this is hardly proper. I feel naked in it!"

"Be grateful. Some masters allow their slaves nothing at all. Although, " he adds with a twinkle in his eye and a teasing tone, "perhaps you would keep your place better with nothing? Perhaps I shall consider it."

Her eyes narrow, and he laughs heartily now. "If you behave yourself today," he says, suddenly serious again, "I will let you sleep on the floor by my bed. Otherwise, 'tis back in the cell."

Thinking of that stinking, filthy (by HER standards) cell makes Diana consider how much more comfortable and warm she will be in the tent at night. - And he said on the FLOOR, not in his bed. Maybe I really AM safe from him that way. -

"I'll behave myself . today, if you tell me about the Quadi," she says, hoping to change the subject and learn about the people in the forest she may encounter again WHEN she escapes eventually.

"You will behave regardless," he states with conviction. "Now tell me, why would a woman be interested in the enemy?"

"I TOLD you, I'm a soldier too."

"Aye, you did," he says, still not quite ready to believe her, but after what he's seen and experienced, he's beginning to sense it is true. And soon he is telling her about his orders from Caesar to conquer this land. "I have only one more parcel to claim from them, and then the war will be over and My Lord will hopefully release me from duty so that I may return home to my family."

"Family?" she asks in surprise, trying to picture the big jerk with kids bouncing on his knee. "You have a family?"

"Aye, a wife and son whom I have not seen for three years now."

"Three years?" she snorts. "Sounds like you're a slave too."

Blue eyes instantly narrow, not at all liking that line of reasoning, as he loves Caesar like a son to a father, the man having practically raised him from childhood. "You would be wise to never speak words like that again," he warns, and seeing the very dangerous glint that has come into his eyes, she believes it.

After the meal he stands. "I have camp matters to attend to. There will be guards posted all around my tent. Do not try to leave if you value your skin." And before Diana can even get a word out, he's gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the master did not leave any specific instructions to his slaves regarding his newest one, other than warning them to stay out of her way if she tries to leave so that they won't be harmed by mistake, she is left alone to spend the day poking through his belongings. The slaves are aghast that anyone would dare to touch his things, but, not being sure of her true household status yet, they are all simply too afraid to say or do anything, even Cicero.

Diana is actually looking for HER things, mainly her weapons, pistols or even the flare gun to finally shoot the bastard and get away. - Maybe I won't actually kill him as much as I'm tempted, but a bullet in each leg will keep him off my back so I can get outta here for good! - Unfortunately, Maximus has hidden her belongings too well, and other than her once again clean clothes, there is nothing else to find. - Screw him! - she thinks and puts her clothes back on, throwing the slave tunic into the hands of a terrified female slave, who quickly drops it to the floor, not about to be caught by the master with it.

She does manage to find one type of weapon, as even his own have been deliberately hidden too well from her. It looks like a simple metal letter opener, probably used to break the seals on parchments, and she quickly slips it into her clothing on the way to the 'kitchen' chamber. Once there, Diana proceeds to astound the cook, as the General's slaves are given three full meals a day and never dare ask for more. But, once again, not knowing what to do, the man looks away while the fearless female eats what she wants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maximus walks in at sunset, after having spent the day in meetings while checking often with the tent guards on whether his spirited new slave had tried to escape again, and, knowing that she didn't, he is now in a very good mood indeed. - Perhaps she is finally accepting her place with me. Gods, I hope so. She is wearing me out, and I almost lost my life to those Quadi due to my foolish wager with her. -

"Master Maximus," Cicero immediately greets him with a low bow. "Please forgive us. She tore your hearth apart."

"WHAT?" he shouts, looking around and seeing nothing out of place.

"We have cleaned most of it," Cicero continues, "but she is going through your family trunk right now in your chamber."

- By the Gods, I'll skin her alive! - "WOMAN!!" he bellows at seeing her in the strange garments again and rummaging through the most personal of his belongings.

"What?" she cries, standing up quickly at feeling a twinge of real fear at his fury. "You went through MY things! And now I can't even FIND them! You didn't say I couldn't go through yours! You left me here all day with NOTHING to do!"

"Nothing to do?! I will give you something to do!" And he grabs her, raising his hand to slap her when her mouth opens again, startled, and the distinctive scent of fear begins to roll off her for the very first time. Maximus, although in a rage, nostrils flaring in response to her fear, has never actually struck a woman before. He knows it is his full right as her master and that most men do it often, but he still hesitates ... hesitates for Diana to see and take advantage of.

And take advantage of, she does. The 21st century woman in her over-rides now that instinctual fear of the much larger and stronger man, and her knee comes slamming up, firmly into a very vulnerable crotch.


CHAPTER 7

Blue eyes widen in shock, not having felt this kind of agony since the one and only time Commodus kneed him during a wrestling match that Commodus needed to win in order to prove himself to his friends who were wagering on them. Caesar's son won that long ago bout, although Maximus made him pay for it in private later by dunking his head in the bath when no one was around, carefully warning the younger man that if he ever did it again, he would conveniently forget that he carried royal blood.

This time, however, Maximus is not about to let his opponent win, and as he falls to his knees clutching one hand to himself now, his other hand, still gripping her arm, pulls her down beside him. Before she can struggle, the hand leaves his burning groin, and he has a chain around her ankle, the other end attached to his thick wooden bed.

Rolling away, he stands as she jumps to her feet spitting at him, "You fuck!" and pulls on the chain as hard as she can, feeling no give in it or in the bed that weighs much too much for her to move on her own. Colonel Diana Meridus is now effectively snared.

"Touch what is mine again and I will next place a chain upon your neck," he growls and leaves the chamber. - If I remain near this wildcat, my hand will not hesitate next time. -

"Master, if I may?" Cicero comes up to him.

"What?" he snaps, his good mood entirely gone now, as his manhood aches horribly in pain.

"You should lash her again, harder this time."

Maximus peers at his slave closely, a slave that has NEVER questioned how he disciplines his slaves or soldiers and begins to wonder now if Cicero, himself, needs a reminder of just who is the master and who is the slave at this hearth. - Is it possible that I have been too lenient with this boy? -

"Do not question me again," he warns, "or YOUR back will feel the lash." Bowing deeply, his slave shudders at the thought of it and backs away from him as fast as he can.

After a while, Diana gives up struggling and falls asleep without being offered any food or wine this night. And, in time, after his own meal, Maximus walks in to see her curled up on the floor as far from the bed as she could get. He lies down, stretching with an annoyed sigh at her, although he sleeps by far the best this night that his newest possession is chained safely near him. The General of Rome will never know how lucky he was that this particular possession did not awake, as if she had, he most likely would have felt the stolen blade hidden in her clothing against his neck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the morn he wakes first and slips quietly out of the bed to dress himself while watching her sleep, noting with satisfaction that she moved during the night very close to his bedside. - A stubborn female, this one, but in her sleep she knows to move close to her master for protection. -

Kneeling down, he gently pushes the hair from her face, completely belaying the bark that erupts from him. "Awaken Slave!"

Jumping from sleep in surprise, Diana's head hits a sharp corner on the bed and her eyes begin to flutter dangerously. Trying to stand, her legs give out and Maximus catches her, shouting as he lays her on his bed, "Cicero! Bring my physician at once!"

Diana is swimming in a haze of dizziness now, weak and sick feeling, and begins to retch in his arms. Grabbing a pot, Maximus quickly places it under her face and holds her hair back as the vomit comes up. Within moments, the physician is examining her and looks to Maximus for an answer. "May I ask, General, what has happened?"

"She struck her head on the bed," he answers matter-of-factly.

"Ahhhh," he notes. "And she had also struck it when I examined her at the bath. Be there any other occurrences between then and now?"

Maximus nods. "Aye, I struck her once with my fist to her head. She fell unconscious, but was well when she awoke."

"That is at least three injuries to her head in a very short period, Sir. I do not believe she can withstand another." And, as if in response, Diana pukes again as Cicero watches in amazement while Maximus assists her.

"Tell me the solution to cure her of this," he orders while he continues to brush her hair from her pallid face.

"It would depend on how much you value this female." - And I suspect you do more than you realize. -

"I want her well," he states as if that explains it enough.

"Then do not let her up today. No food, just liquid, and, most importantly, do not let her sleep. If she sleeps, she may never awake. She needs to rest until the next morn, then she may sleep."

"Cicero," Maximus looks up from Diana while waving his thanks to the departing physician. "Bring me warm chicken broth." - In my anger, I refused her dinner. She must keep her strength. - And soon, Maximus, to Cicero's horror, is spoon-feeding Diana, who is too weak to protest and reluctantly lets him gently push the spoon between her lips.

"Master!" one of the other slaves rushes in. "Your staff has requested your presence in the command tent. They say 'tis urgent."

He hesitates for a moment, not wanting to leave her so wounded, and puts down the spoon and bowl, leaving specific orders with Cicero. "Feed her the rest. Do not let her fall asleep. I shall return as soon as I can."

Alone with her now, his perceived enemy, Cicero slowly brings the spoon to her lips and stares at them; those full red lips that he will never have, those full red lips that he is very sure that his master wants to claim in bed now. - I have been ill, and not once has he ever spoon-fed me! - And with that thought, the spiteful slave dumps the broth and sits back to watch Diana fall asleep, hoping that she will die before his master returns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wake up!" he hisses at her, shaking her now at hearing the man's approach.

But it is too late, and Maximus walks in to see Cicero shaking Diana, her eyes closed and her head hanging limply. "What has happened?" he roars at the boy and rushes to her side.

"My apologies, Master," Cicero drops her shoulders and jumps up in fear. "She fell asleep. I was trying to wake her."

Maximus knows that his favored slave is lying, and it astounds him, greatly. - Speaking false to ME?! - his mind rages. But there is no time to deal with it now, and he swiftly pushes Cicero away from him to grasp Diana's face in his two hands. "Diana! I order you to wake at once!"

She doesn't even stir.

Desperate to rouse his female now, her upper body is lifted against his, and he begins to rub firmly her arms, her shoulders and her back. Finally, a muted response comes forth, a slight moan, but still she does not awake. Taking the next step, tugging on the strange shirt to get it out of the leg coverings, Maximus manages to slip his hand under it to feel the foreign fabric of the covering over her breasts. Quickly, his fingers move under the flexible material and close with determination over a soft nipple, twisting it savagely.

"OH MY GOD!" Diana gasps to sit bolt upright in his arms at the electrifying pain lancing from her breast to her toes.

She tries to push him away, but being too weak, it does nothing, and he carefully lays her back down, murmuring gently, "You were asleep. I woke you."

"Uhhhh yeah, you sure did," she mutters, feeling the lingering pain almost, but not completely, masking a tiny twinge of pleasure, a twinge now causing a bright flush to creep up from her sore nipple to her cheeks.

Maximus can see the flush, and it perplexes him, as he only touched her in that way to force her awake, and, until now, the woman has not once shown him a single sign of being a bitch in wanting for a man. - She either hides her heat well or she is truly cold like a fish. - "Tis time to remove these strange garments and dress appropriately, Slave. I must have faster access if I should need to waken you again."

"Oh no, you won't need to," Diana hurriedly protests. "Believe me, Max, I'm wide awake now. Don't need to touch me again."

The mouth above her quirks in amusement. "Most females and many men would fight to have me touch them. If you were not so wounded, I would be highly insulted right now."

"If I were not so wounded," she repeats his formal way of speaking back to him, "you would be on your ass on the floor right now." A true smile almost breaks upon his face, and she can't help, in her weakened condition, but be thankful that he had recognized the teasing tone in her voice like she had meant. - No way I'm up to fighting him right now! -

Maximus adheres to his desire for her to be dressed the way all his slaves are, however, and he calls for two female slaves to bring a tunic and dress her for him, as he unchains her leg for them to slip the leg coverings off. The moment he lifts the chain to place it back on her leg, a pleading look comes into those beautiful green eyes, and he finds himself hesitating, considering leaving it off, until one of his slaves hands him the 'letter opener' she found in the strange clothing.

His own eyes narrow darkly, and he holds it up so that Diana can see. "You would try to kill me?"

"To get away . I mean no ... I mean . hell, I don't know, Max. It was for protection." - Oh shit, one minute he's all Mr. Tender helping me, and now he's pissed off again. -

"Protection from me?" his face turns questioningly.

"Hell yes from you," she spits firmly now. - Let'm be pissed! Nothing's changed. I'm still a fucking prisoner! -

Instantly, the chain is put back on, and, with weariness, he states, "You have it backwards. I am the one who offers protection to what is mine. Without me, you would be food for the wolves. But if you keep testing me, Woman, you will need more than this puny weapon to keep me from you." - I fear when she is well, I will be forced to use my fists upon her after all. Shame she will not obey me willingly like all do. -

"Whatever you say," she mutters and turns her head from him.

Sighing heavily, he orders the slave women, "Stay with her and keep her awake. I will return soon." And he heads to the slave quarters of his hearth to find Cicero ...... discipline time.


CHAPTER 8

"Cicero," he calls the boy's name in a way he has never done before.

"Please Master, forgive me. She fell asleep," the slight male quickly cries with his head bowed.

SLAP! And the frightened boy falls to the ground. Maximus has never had reason to strike Cicero, but he will do so again if the boy dares to disrespect him again. "Do NOT speak false to me, and do NOT forget your place," he growls in warning.

Swiftly climbing to his hands and knees, Cicero glances up at the cold eyes boring down at him. "I beg forgiveness," he whimpers in shame at being struck.

Maximus stares silently for a moment, wishing to the Gods that he hadn't had to strike his boy. But he knew that he did, Cicero had left him no choice, and, as a slave, he needed to be reminded of the way things work. "You are forgiven," he speaks with a touch of the compassion that Cicero and all his followers love about him.

And, as far as Maximus is concerned now, the incident is over. He tries to turn to leave the slave chamber, but Cicero quickly clutches to his legs, desperately burying his face into the groin above him. For a long minute, Maximus is very tempted to take the boy's warm familiar mouth and relieve the strange constant ache he's been carrying since capturing the woman. But his mind has more important issues at hand, and he gently pushes Cicero off, leaving the boy alone on his hands and knees in heart-felt pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The slaves are told to leave his chamber, and he sits on his bedside next to Diana again, watching her struggle to keep her eyes open. "You must stay awake," he tells her. "Do what I say or you will die."

"Ahhhh," she sighs, "and how is that different than before?"

"No different," he smiles softly.

Her eyes soon begin to flutter, however, and sharply he barks her name for only the third time, "Diana! Hear me!"

She struggles to focus again on those intense blue eyes staring into hers. - Beautiful baby blues. Why is he so concerned about me? Don't they have enough women around? All I do is cause'm trouble. God, he's got beautiful eyes, kinda like that hunk Mel Gibson. -

"Tell me about your homeland. Where are you from?" he orders. - I wish to know everything about this one. And, if she speaks more, it will help to keep her awake. -

"Not where," she sighs tiredly, "when." Assuming she'll either die in his bed of this head injury or he'll kill her when she tries to escape again, Diana decides to tell him everything, feeling a strong need to get it off her chest to another human being before it's too late.

It is a decision, no matter how unwittingly made, that will set in motion a chain of events that will ultimately change history.

Listening to her unbelievable story, Maximus begins to wonder if the injury could have addled her mind, and he truly hopes not. But the more the woman talks confidently and the more he thinks about the strange things he has seen and experienced with her, he knows he will have to seriously consider the validity of her story.

"I can prove it!" she squeals suddenly.

"And how would that be?" he smiles as though talking to a child now. - I will keep her by my side, addled or not. -

"Caesar Marcus Aurelius will die March 17th of this year." - I THINK that's the date. Shit, I hope I remembered right! -

"Tis soon! Tell me how!" he stands quickly, ready to send a runner on the road to warn the Emperor who is on his way.

"No, Max. It was recorded as having happened here, in a war camp, in Germany ..er .. Germania as you call it. And if I remember correctly, the last person to see him alive was his son, who reported that Marcus passed away in his sleep."

Maximus pauses to think carefully about this information. - Caesar is old enough to pass in his sleep, but his health is good, very good for a man of his years. I do not like, however, that Commodus would be the last person to see him. - And in his profound worry for his Caesar, his friend, Maximus does not even question anymore how Diana could know of future events.

"Do not speak of this to anyone," he warns her.

"Don't worry," she laughs. "Don't particularly want to find myself in the middle of the Salem witch trials next. - Maybe I shouldn't have trusted him, a barbarian, with this knowledge. But shit, I have to prove to him who I am and where I come from. Maybe when he sees Caesar die here, he'll finally respect me as a fellow soldier and let me go. Yeah right, suuuure he will, and maybe fucking pigs will fly too. -

"Are you saying you be a witch?" Maximus asks in surprise that someone would admit to that very dangerous way of life.

"No! No, it was just an expression. I'm not a witch," she laughs again, a little nervously now.

- I believe you are. You have be-spelled me, Beautiful One. And 'tis a spell I have no desire to find the cure for. - "No more talk of death and witches. Eat more. I have brought you beef broth fresh from my cook. 'Tis good."

"I can do it myself," she tries to protest once more.

"Nay, lay still," he orders and brings the spoon to her mouth.

"Not that I'm complaining, Max, but WHY are you doing this?"

"Because you are mine," he answers simply.

"Oh, so you Romans always take care of your .." and she hesitates for a moment on the word, "slaves like this?"

He smiles at her difficulty in accepting her new station in life. "Many do not. But you will find I am not a hard master. I am fair and just. You will learn to love me as all my slaves do."

"Yeah sure, fair and just," she snorts. "That's what my back said when you whipped me."

A shrug of broad shoulders. "Do not run again. I did not wish to lash you." A sharp look now. "You forced my hand."

"Ohhhhh, like that soldier? He forced you just because I had to knock him out?"

"Twas different. You would not understand. 'Tis something between soldiers."

"Try me, Max. I told you, I AM a soldier."

His head cocks, thinking about it. "Perhaps you are. Can you imagine his humiliation if the camp had known that a mere female had put him out?"

"Oh, I think I see now," she looks up in surprise at the idea. "You were helping him save face."

"Save face? It had nothing to do with his face."

"Just another expression, Max. You were helping him look good, right?"

"Aye, look good being a man and accepting his punishment like the camp expected. I will tell you, however, that the man has asked me why you would try to protect him. He knows that I gave him less of the lash due to the truth you told me."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him not to question the gift the Gods have given me."

"Hmmm, I'd still like to tell him I'm sorry for having to knock him out. He's just a soldier, Max, doing his job. It was nothing personal. You're the only one I have a problem with."

A very male chuckle at being called a problem. "I believe it would just confuse him more if you talked to him. Besides, slaves do not speak to citizens of Rome unless spoken to, and you cannot tell anyone anything while only speaking my native tongue."

"Good point," she has to concede. "So, how about I spend this day and night learning Latin."

"Impossible," he snorts. "You cannot learn the Roman tongue in one day."

"Hey! I remember a little from my old Catholic school days. I bet I could pick up enough to get by, unless you're not confident in your own abilities?" - Boy, if Sister Theresa could see me now, WANTING to learn Latin! -

"Of course I am, Slave. Lesson begins now." And the rest of the day and night Diana spends re-learning Latin just enough until she has a very rudimentary grasp of it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many hours later, when they see the sun has risen, Maximus tells her to close her eyes and rises to check on his household and camp. More exhausted than ever, Diana falls into a heavy restful sleep, curled up comfortably in his bed. Only two hours pass and he is back, weary also, and, without a second thought, he slips off his garments as usual to climb in beside her.


CHAPTER 9

Later that morning, Diana awakes to the feel of a very hardened length pressing into her from behind. In slumber, Maximus has curled his arms around her, pulling her into his protective embrace, and is still breathing contently in sleep by her ear. It has been three years since the man has allowed another to share his bed in this way.

- Like to wrap this chain around his obnoxious neck! - she thinks at discovering him next to her, but knowing the chain isn't long enough, she very carefully, trying not to wake him, moves his arms off her until she has slithered out of from within his grasp.

On the edge of the bed, she quietly turns to look back at him and almost jumps in surprise at seeing those blue eyes staring at her, watching her with interest. Maximus has been fully awake since the first moment she touched his arm and was simply waiting to see what she would do. The master is contemplating taking his slave now. - My sword is as hard as can be for this one. It does not mean I desire my wife any less whether I take my newest female or Cicero to satisfy my lust-need. - "I will have you now," he declares in simple courtesy to inform the woman, as he reaches towards her.

Squealing in fright, Diana scurries to get out of his reach, falling out of bed to land hard on her ass with an audible, "Ooomph." And laughing heartily, Maximus leans forward on his forearms to look down at her, but she's on her feet almost instantly with a smoldering scowl. "I don't think so, Roman. And stop laughing!"

The merriment drains from his face, as he stands and advances on her. "I am tired of the tone you dare to speak with. Perhaps your rump needs my hand upon it before I sheathe my sword in you?" - I will tolerate her defiance no more! -

"Oh my God," she can't help squeaking when she looks down at what he called his sword, so large, definitely weapon-like in her mind that she backs up as fast as she can until the chain holds her in place, no where to escape to.

He smiles again, seeing that she is trapped and knows it. "Come," he says, the growl replaced by a gentler tone, as he reaches his arm out slowly. "There is no need to make this difficult, Little One. On my honor, I will be very gentle. You will enjoy mating with me."

- Mate? - she thinks, images of Roman babies running through her mind although she knows it's only another slang word for having sex. - Thank God the doc recommended I take that shot before I left the States. Should keep me protected for a while. And if I can get my hands on the medic box again, there's one spare shot for a little longer. By the time the second shot wears off, I'll either be dead or fucking insane and not care anymore if he knocks me up .. Wait a minute! I wonder if he'd respect me if I told'm the truth? Christ, this is gonna be embarrassing, but it's worth a shot. And, actually, why should I care WHAT he thinks? -

Taking a firm stance, hands on her hips, she announces, "You would take a pure woman unwillingly?"

"Pure?" He stops in his tracks, lowering his arm, as the smile fades once more. "Impossible. You are not a child. Your body, your face .... How could no man have not taken you by now?"

"BECAUSE," she says with a hard edge of steel in her voice, "I have not ALLOWED it." - Just haven't met the right guy, yet. Career keeps me pretty damn busy, and now I'll never meet'm stuck in the past! -

"I do not believe you. For some reason I do not understand, you hesitate to share pleasures with me. Do you find me so hideous?"

"Yes," she lies immediately, but at the stunned, hurt look that sweeps over his face, she takes it back before she can stop herself. "No, you're . you're more man than I've ever met, Max." - That's a fucking understatement! He EXUDES maleness from every fucking pore of his body! - "But on my word as a soldier, I'm NOT lying. I'm just as pure as your .. as your vestal virgins, or whatever the hell they're called."

"We shall see," he snaps and angrily throws his garments on, although feeling more than a hint of pleasure that she had admitted she did not really find him hideous like he had suddenly feared. - I should not care what a female thinks. 'Tis strange I do. She is just a slave, and I am her master. Nothing more should matter. -

"Master!" one of his female slaves comes rushing in. "Captain Quintus is here with important news."

Without another glance at Diana, Maximus walks out of his bedchamber, and Diana strains against her chain towards the doorway to hear what is being said, soon discovering that the enemy is massing in the forest not far from here. Battle time.

Within moments, Maximus is shouting orders to his slaves. "Gather my weapons! Retrieve my armor! Prepare my mount! And gather your personal items, prepare to flee if the Gods do not smile on Rome this day and my army loses this battle. I have no wish for any of you to remain here to protect my belongings. If I die well on the field, I will be rewarded with eternal after-life in Elysium. Tis my command that you run as fast as you can towards Rome and pray to the Gods that you will be found and cared for again. Pray that the barbarians do not catch you first."

- Son of a bitch! - "Maximus!" Diana starts shouting, deliberately using his full name for once. "Maximus!"

"WHAT?" he roars, in no mood for her distractions now, as he stalks back to his bedchamber. "Do not test me, Woman. I must make haste to battle."

"How can I run if you lose?" she cries, holding up her chained ankle.

Maximus bites his lip, not at all wanting to release her and feeling fairly confident that his army will win the day. "I will leave orders with Cicero to release you if he hears of our loss."

"God, I hope you lose," she mutters in English.

He didn't understand the words, of course, but the meaning was quite clear to him, and he slams her up against a tall wooden bureau, his hand encircling her throat as he snarls, "When I return, I shall see to this claim of pureness, and in my bed I shall put an end to your defiance."

"You and what army?" she spits back at him. - Man, I must really have a death wish! -

Those blue eyes she had recently admired bulge with fury now, and she feels the hand squeezing tighter around her neck. Only one idea comes to her, grab onto that large scrotum of his and twist it right off before he kills her. Fighting with herself not to panic and show fear, keeping her breath low and shallow, as he continues to apply deadly pressure, her hand slowly begins to creep under his tunic.

- What is she doing? - the fury recedes from his eyes at feeling her reaching up his bare leg.

His nostrils flare in surprise, as a very steady Diana calmly slips her hand into his groin, touching for the first time a male member. But it is not the member that is quickly filling with desire that she is interested in, it's that vulnerable area hiding beneath. Her hand begins to move further under, and Maximus suddenly realizes her intent. He sees not a hint of desire in her eyes, and quickly pressing his lips firmly against hers, he steps back before she is able to un-man him.

- If I die today, at least I have touched those red lips of hers, - he thinks and stalks away, leaving Diana completely breathless now at his unexpected reaction. - Oh My God! Conan kissed me! -

With his army rallied, Maximus jumps on his horse and leaves the camp, allowing himself to glance back only once at his tent to consider the impulsive kiss he left on the beautiful and possibly pure woman chained to his bed, waiting for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later Caesar's army has won, and his general is filled with euphoria although exhausted in body. - I will take her and sleep for a week, - he thinks half-seriously. - Nay, I will take her, sleep for an hour and take her again, - and he grins to himself at the image. - But what if her claim of purity is true? I would prefer she be willing for her de-flowering. Hades, I would prefer she be willing either way. I have no wish to force this woman, but By The Sword of Mars 'tis my RIGHT to do as I will with her. She will see in my bed that I will not harm her. She will see that I can bring her much pleasure. -

A victorious Maximus rides into camp, his manhood swiftly filling and ready. Covered in blood, sweat and grime from the battle, he enters his tent, and his slaves immediately bow at his fierce appearance. "Bring warm water and towels to my chamber. Two of you will wash me well before I take to bed."

Into his bedchamber he hurries, anticipation at seeing this particular female again coursing through his pulsing veins. "CICERO!" comes the bellow when his eyes fall upon the empty chain lying beside the bed and torn slave tunic upon his pillow.


CHAPTER 10

Cicero runs into the bedchamber at his Master's command and does not even try to lie this time. Soon after Maximus had left for battle, he had unchained Diana and told her to leave.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

"Why are you helping me?" she asked the boy.

"Because the Master is mine," he replied with a fierceness that belied his slight size. "I am his favorite slave. I will not let you usurp my place at his hearth."

She looked at him strangely, wanting to question what a boy of no more than 20 could possibly be saying about a man a good 10 years older than him and so much larger. - Is he insinuating that they have a SEXUAL relationship? - she wondered. And, for a moment, it reeled her, picturing Maximus, who had strongly made his intent for her known, being with this almost child in that type of way. But the more Diana thought about all the Roman history she had learned in school, she remembered that it was considered quite normal by their society and not truly strange after all. Accepted and enjoyed by many.

The minute he had the chain off her, she had to ask him, though, wanting to know just one thing to ease her conscious. "Won't he beat you for this?"

"Until you came here, my Master had never struck me. But no more. He has broken my heart with his hand, and I know he will do much more to me for releasing you. I do not care. I will gladly take any punishment he decrees if it means having him back fully as mine again. It will be worth it."

- Oh boy, - she thought. - This kid isn't just enthralled with his master; he's fucking in love with him. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. Gotta get away while I can and hope Max doesn't beat him too much when or IF he comes back. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to mistreat his slaves. I'm gonna have to bet the boy will get over it and they'll go back to ... to ..... whatever they are together. It's what Cicero wants. And I sure as hell don't want Max to rape me when he gets back. Rather take my chances in the forest again. -

"I'll leave if you find my stuff," she told him, her decision made.

"I would give you anything to leave, but I can only find your strange clothing. The Master has hidden your other items too well."

"Fine. Get them and I'm gone, and thank you." Five minutes later, Diana was headed in the opposite direction of the battle.

Two miles away, however, she stopped running, and unwanted thoughts came to her mind.

~*~*~ Maximus pulling her from the burning chopper, saving her life
~*~*~ Maximus having his physician look at her .... twice
~*~*~ Maximus giving her water when she was dangerously dehydrated
~*~*~ Maximus telling his slaves to run for safety and free her if they do
~*~*~ Maximus spoon-feeding her
~*~*~ Maximus spending all day and night keeping her awake, keeping her alive
~*~*~ Maximus ..... those eyes, those lips

.... lips that touched hers full of passion in such a brief kiss. And her fingers went to her lips, remembering the unexpected burn he etched into them. - Damn it! I'm breaking the worse rule of captivity! Falling for my captor! Gotta keep moving! - And she ran another mile, but stopped again, wavering even more. - I've gotta circle back. I'm just running blind like this. Get back to the chopper while Max is too busy getting himself killed in that battle. Maybe I can do something with the radio, something to signal my own time so they can rescue me from this freak zone! -

Changing direction, past the camp again and further south towards the marsh she ran until .. WOOSH! A net fell on her from the trees, trapped again. Four men in leather and animal furs, long matted hair and beards, jumped from the trees and beat her with clubs until she stopped struggling. She was then lifted from the ground and she began to recognize their language, an ancient form of German.

Diana had fallen prey to an enemy of the Roman Empire, the Quadi tribe. Thankfully, with her own maternal German background and interest in history she was able to comprehend just a few of their words here and there. But these men are no better than Romans, she soon discovered, and much worse than one in particular, Maximus. Her face was slapped hard repeatedly until she finally held her tongue, spitting blood while she fumed inside that she had fallen into an even worse predicament than being one of the general's house slaves.

Diana was made to walk with them, and every time she opened her mouth to protest that she wasn't Roman, they knocked her to the ground. The men had already decided, when they laid the trap, that she was the mysterious woman who had helped the Roman leader in the woods that night. Her strange clothing confirmed it to them even more than the one survivor described, and she will be used at their village to gather more information on the Roman army nearby. Diana will be made to speak when they want her to or she will be tortured until she does. And then, after she speaks, she will be used by each man who wishes her and put to work as a village whore and general slave to all until death. It will be a very short unpleasant life.

Unfortunately, she could understand just enough of what they were saying to make herself wish that she had remained chained to the Roman's bed. - At least then I would only be HIS whore, unless I read him wrong and he was planning on using me and then throwing me to his men? No, I don't think I did. He's got a real compassionate streak in him. Buried deep under his macho chauvinistic streak, but definitely more humane than these guys .. SHIT! And I thought MAX was a barbarian! -

By the time they reach the village, the battle is over and most of the Quadi men are dead. There will be no more fighting, and Diana is not even questioned but thrown into an earthen pit until they have time to decide who will lead what little is left of their tribe and then make a decision regarding the stranger. The village women, knowing that she is the whore of a Roman leader, begin pelting her with rotten food and rocks, forcing Diana to cover her head and neck the best that she can and endure their taunts, not about to waste her breath disputing them anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, back at the Roman camp, a celebration is being held, but Maximus is taking no part in it and places Captain Quintus in charge. "I must leave. My new female slave has run off again, and I mean to bring her back."

"The men will enjoy seeing you lash her again," Quintus grins.

"Oh, I will do more than lash her," Maximus promises. Maximus has also promised Cicero that he will deal with him when he returns. He had come very close to striking the boy again in anger, but had just managed to control it and decided for the boy's safety that he would do better to discipline him when he had Diana safely in his tent again. - If I punish Cicero now, I will likely snap his neck. -

Not even taking the time to clean himself from the battle, he takes only a fresh horse, his weapons and the two strange weapons of Diana's that he had hidden from everyone. - I know not how they work, but the female does. They may be of use with all the enemy in the woods now. Divine Goddess Diana, protect this woman named for you until I find her again, I implore you. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, near to dark, he comes across Quadi men and women moving slowly through the forest looking for their wounded. They are making their way back while discussing the strange female captured earlier. And carefully following them on foot, as they eventually come to their village, Maximus stays back under cover to take note of the land. There are many wounded and dying men, women trying to tend them, a few small children, elderly villagers and unhurt younger men. - Where is she? - he begins to think frantically. - My female is here! I know she is! -

In the twilight he soon spots two men hauling his slave out of a pit and into the village middle. Diana is filthy and exhausted now, but she immediately tries to fight them, arms and legs flying, turning both men on their backsides, as Maximus watches both amazed and proud. It is a short victory, though. Soon more men and women are surrounding her, and her weary head falls in defeat while they tie her to a pole for village entertainment.

Her flight jacket is pushed down her arms, and her shirt is ripped open to expose her breasts for all to see. In one slice of a dagger, the bra is cut off, and Maximus begins to grind his teeth at watching a man fondle breasts that belong to him. When the man reaches for Diana's strange leggings, however, Maximus, a man who knows what he wants, makes his decision. The Great General of Rome races down the hillside and walks boldly with long even steps into the village, hands in the air.

 

CHAPTER 11

Although Maximus understands very small pieces of their language, he cannot speak it and says in Latin, hoping that some will be able to understand him, "Tis me you want, not the female. By my hand your men are dead, my hand, the hand of Caesar that conquered your people in his name. Let the female go and do with me as you will."

"MAX!" she shouts in shock. "Are you insane? They'll kill you!" - You survived the battle to throw it away now?! -

"BE SILENT WOMAN!" her master roars so vehemently at her that the men and women laugh loudly, and, for once, Diana looks away from the potent force of his command.

They surround him, disarm him, and make him stand before her, and she looks into his eyes, hard in their resolve, trying to understand why this man would risk himself like this over a simple slave. - There must be hundreds, thousands of much prettier, younger and willing slave girls in the Roman lands. Why do I matter to him? He must know by now that he'll have to break every bone in my body before I'll sleep with him. -

Maximus is looking her over as much as he can, looking for any sign of injury or any sign that his slave has been mistreated. - Thank the Gods she is alive and appears well. If we survive this, she will never leave my sight again. -

The man closest to Diana has casually placed his hand on her bare breast, and he squeezes it so hard that her face flickers with pain, causing Maximus to tense again and take a step forward. Any strike he was about to land on the savage is stilled, however, at seeing a dagger poke into the flesh under her ribcage. Reigning in his anger at watching the dagger run little scratches around her stomach, he takes a deep breath and steps back to the laughter of the crowd again. There is no doubt to any that this female is indeed the Roman's whore.

An argument has begun among what's left of the village about what to do with the strangers, and it is decided that now that they have the female AND the Roman leader to throw them both into the pit until morning when everyone will be better rested to fully participate in the sport of revenge. Maximus lands easily on his feet and shouts up to them, "Release her! I am of value to Caesar! He will pay ransom for me!" - And even if they are so uncivilized they do not understand the concept of ransom, it matters not. They will not keep me for long. -

CRASH! Diana is pushed in and Maximus catches her, as they tumble to the ground. Although he made sure to cushion her fall, the moment she was safe in his arms, he deliberately twisted them both over so that his body would shield her from whatever might be thrown down upon them.

Lying beneath his weight now, she immediately feels the shape of a gun under his robe, and her hand moves between them to his waist belt. Mistaking her intentions, he hisses at her, "Not now, Woman!" and looks up to the crowd still standing above them. - As much as I want this female, I will not perform entertainment for them! -

"Huh?" she wraps her hand on the gun.

"Tis nothing," he mumbles, realizing his mistake.

Carefully, she pulls it out from under his robe, tucks it into her waist, and tries to push at his shoulders, snapping in his face, "Get off me."

Although his eyes widen, Maximus stands up, watching closely to see what their audience will do, and quite ready to cover his slave again, if necessary, from harm. But as Diana jumps to her feet, turning her back on him to fix her ripped shirt as much as she can to cover her breasts, the village people begin to slowly disperse and the night goes on .... one young guard left behind who soon falls asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you really think they'd let me go for you?" she asks after a period of tense silence. - I just don't GET him. -

"If they were civilized, they would. I am much more valuable to them. They will get nothing from Caesar for you. Keeping you alive is only another mouth to feed in this dead village. But I did not truly expect them to let you go. I knew they would keep us both. They will probably whore you and work you until you die."

"Yeah, that's what they told me I'd get. They think I'm some kind of Roman whore. Couldn't convince them I'm not."

"That is because you are ..... MY whore."

Groaning, she rubs her face in frustration. "If I'm just a whore to you, why would you risk your life for me? You can have any whore you want."

Maximus hesitates now, not knowing why either, only knowing that he wanted this woman back and would not hesitate to die for her if necessary. "Aye, any whore I wish is mine. It matters not why I want you. You are mine."

"Yeah, you keep saying that, big guy," she mumbles and rubs her arms now, feeling the cold night air through her jacket.

Soon, her legs are cold too from sitting on the bare ground, and Maximus, sitting across from her and watching her shiver, takes off his robe and throws it to her. "Warm yourself."

"No," she declines, throwing it back and surprising him. "You're cold too."

"Aye, I am," he agrees, as he puts it back on to think for a moment before holding his hand out to her. "I ask you to share with me. Keep us both warm so we will not be stiff with cold when we escape."

"Ask?" she laughs hollowly. "You're ASKING me?"

"Aye," his lip curves in amusement. "Do not get used to it."

It brings another laugh from her, and she sits beside him, ready to allow the man to place an arm around her. And he does, lifting the robe to fall upon her shoulders, feeling his slave tense for only a moment before she relaxes against his warm body. Unfortunately, the robe is not wide enough in width to fully cover two people sitting side by side, and after a few minutes of further shivering, they look at each other in question, and Diana looks to his lap, stating firmly, "It changes nothing."

"I did not think it would," he smiles with a cock of his head.

Nodding solemnly, she scoots herself into his lap, where he quickly opens his legs and arms to envelop her against his chest now, the robe covering them much better in this way. - It IS a lot warmer like this, - she realizes in the shelter of his arms and moves to snuggle her backside deep into him, enjoying the feel of his warm breath on her ear.

With time to kill, though, Diana decides that making conversation is probably the best way to distract the man from what she fears he may want from her soon. "I've told you all about my world, my life, and you've told me about Rome, but not about your life."

"My life? I am an officer for Caesar, a soldier who fights with his men and a master of three households. You know all this."

"What about when you're not a soldier, not an officer? What did you used to do? And you have THREE homes?"

"Aye, three, my war camp, my Roman Capitol hearth, and my homeland hearth," he explains and proceeds to tell her about his wife and son, his farm and lands in Hispania and how much he misses it.

The woman in Diana can hear the wistfulness in his voice when speaking about his wife and child, and it makes her wonder briefly at what kind of a husband General Maximus is, knowing that even many modern men and women don't really consider fidelity to be of utmost importance in a contented marriage. - It would be to me, though. I'm not marrying a guy unless I'm absolutely sure he'll stay faithful to me. Been around too many men in my life on and off base to take a guy's word on that right off the bat. He'll have to prove it to me first before I hand my heart over. -

"Three years is a long time to be without your wife," she notes in almost a whisper.

"Aye, 'tis. My loins often ache for her."

"So, do you keep a mistress somewhere or use your .. your female slaves?" - DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! .. Maybe this isn't such a good subject to be discussing while I'm sitting between his legs! -

"Nay, neither. Maria has told me like the good wife she is that I should take a female occasionally, but until recently I have not felt the desire for another woman. Cicero has filled that need satisfactory until I return to her."

- I was RIGHT! He IS using Cicero that way! .. Wait a minute, did he say . - "Until recently?" she squeaks.

"Aye," he breathes softly into her ear, deliberately, his hands beginning to stroke her arms.

And NOW she feels it, feels it pressing into her lower back, just like she feared would happen. - Damnit! I shoulda listened to the stupid Robot! But ohhh nooo, I always have to follow Dr. Smith into the Cave of Danger! I'll never fucking learn! - "You can't," she gasps, squirming a little to put space between their bodies down there.

"I may not live to see the new day. You will probably live longer. Pure or not, I feel a need to plant my seed once more before I die .... Now," he orders her in his most gentlest tone, "remove your leggings and spread yourself, Woman."

"P. plant your seed? You WANT me to get pregnant," she asks, totally stupefied.

"Very much so," he answers, as though it were a great honor. "Even if I do not live to see you grow large with my child, I will die with the hope my seed took root."

"What about before?" - KEEP'M TALKING! - "Did you want this before?"

"It did not cross my mind one way or the other," Maximus admits. "But if we had mated and you had become with child, I would have simply adopted my new son or daughter, given him or her Roman citizenship with all the same rights and privileges of my first child, Marius."

"Oh. So this is the way you usually think when you sleep with a woman? If she does, fine, if she doesn't, also fine?" - Geesh! Doesn't sound too different from a lot of guys I know! Some things never change! -

"Aye. Only the Gods can decide which mating will produce a child. 'Tis our duty to honor the Gods and enjoy the mating as much as possible."

"Ahhh, well, I got you there Mr-Leave-It-To-The-Gods-Problem. Don't even bother trying to plant your seed in me. It won't take. I'm infertile."

"Do not speak false to me, woman," he hisses and grips her arms tightly. "How can you know you are infertile if you claim to be pure?"

"No lie, Max," she grits her teeth from the pain. "I'm pure, but no man, not even the mighty General Maximus," she states with a hint of sarcasm, "can make me pregnant for months. Got medicine in me (for want of knowing how else to describe it to him) that will keep seed from planting in me."

"Nay, not possible," he refuses to believe it. "My seed is strong."

- Oh Dear God! - she struggles not to laugh out loud at such a stupid macho remark, and Maximus, feeling her shake in barely contained amusement, growls in anger at being thought of as foolish.

"Was it possible," she just manages to stifle a chuckle, "when I killed that man with my weapon?"

Sighing in understanding, anger draining from him once again, he releases her arms. "Is this medicine something a physician gave you?"

"Yes, an army physician." - Max is a literal pain in my ass, but give'm a chance, and he seems to come around. -

"Why?" he asks, confused at the idea. "Why would children not be wanted? Healthy children are needed for any civilization. I hope to have many more children with my wife some day. And if she cannot for some reason, I will take a mistress to give them to me, a mistress I will give my wife say in approving first, of course, to keep harmony in my home."

"That's all fine and dandy for this day and age you live in, Max, but in MY time, there's too many people, too many children. A lot of women pick and choose when they want to have children."

"The women choose? Not their men?" he becomes even more confused.

"That's right," she turns her head, smirking at his shocked face. "Although, of course, in some relationships the man makes the decisions regarding children. But usually it's the woman who's in charge of what we call birth control, protection against pregnancy."

"Strange," he replies with a shake of his head. "And because you took this medicine, you do not choose to have children?"

"Well, not right now," she admits. "Some day if I get married, I guess I'll try to have a baby or two, just not a priority with me." - Hard enough finding a decent guy not put off by my career! -

"Children are always a priority to women," he states. "Although, apparently not in your time. I think I am happy I do not live in that time."

- If you did, boy would you be in for one rude awakening. - And Diana suddenly realizes now, that continuing to talk to him casually in conversation, has just about extinguished his arousal. - Especially since he realizes he can't plant anything, - she laughs inwardly. - Took the wind right outta his sails! -

Diana is wrong. Maximus' arousal did not lessen with the thought of not filling her with a child before he dies, it lessened simply because his mind was trying to fathom a world with such strong independent women; women who make decisions about such matters that only men and the Gods rule over in his world.

"About Cicero," she suddenly remembers. - Don't stop talking, just in case. -

"What about him?" he answers almost distractedly now.

"He's your lover, right?"

"Nay, he is my slave. I have no lover but my wife."

"But . but didn't you say he fulfills that need satisfactory?"

"Aye, he empties my loins for me when I need physical release." - A boy I care about, not a lover. -

"Oh, I see. I don't think Cicero sees, though." - Poor kid. Unrequited love sure must suck. -

"What do you mean?" he asks, interested now.

"I think that Cicero thinks he's your lover." - But why do I think that this man who tells things the way they are has never meant for Cicero to think that? -

Maximus hesitates before answering. "Cicero should not dare to presume he is more than my slave. But I fear you are correct. 'Tis something I plan to remedy if I survive this."

"Wait a minute, Max. Don't beat the kid on my account. I know he let me go, but he did it because he loves you."

"He is supposed to love me," Maximus growls now. "They all do. I provide their food, shelter, clothing, and most importantly, protection. I give them purpose in being a slave to an officer of Caesar. But the boy has assumed too much. I have been too lenient and must rule with a firmer hand when I return. My other slaves know he disobeyed my direct orders. Cicero understands I must maintain order by punishing him, that if I do not maintain order, it threatens the entire household and their very existence."

"Shit Max," she turns to face him. "Is there anything I can say or do to change your mind on this punishment thing? He's just a kid." - I know Cicero will take it willingly, but he still did it to free me. I can't let him take all the blame if there's something I can do to help. -

Maximus looks in her eyes full of sincere worry for the boy, and only one thing comes to his mind that he wants from this slave in this place now that she may be willing to give him without a struggle. "Kiss me of your own free will, and I will temper my hand when I lash him as I did for you."

"You did for me?" she questions, not yet focusing on the 'kiss' part.

"Aye, did I not leave your back unscarred?" he smiles, pleased with himself and his control.

"Yeah," she snorts reluctantly in agreement. "But why?"

"You ask too many questions, Slave," he growls now with annoyance. - I know not why, myself! -

"Fine, fine," she sighs. - You sound just like my old base sergeant. - "Just to be clear on this, if I kiss you, you won't break his skin with the lash?" - Oh God, what am I getting myself into? Agreeing to kiss him?! I'm the one going insane! -

"Cicero will be lashed, but no blood will run."

"Very well," she sighs again. "I'll kiss you."

His eyebrow rises. "You speak to me as though you were a Goddess bestowing a kiss on a mortal."

"And how do you know I'm not?" she teases now, enjoying the look on his face. "I could be that Goddess Diana."

A laugh spills from his lips, teasing her back. "I do not believe the Goddess, even in human form, would allow a mortal man to help her pass water."

Hands fly to her face, and she turns around embarrassed again at the memory. Their situation is stressful, as all her days have been since she fell into this 'nightmare', but the stress comes pouring out of her, as she laughs along with him, falling back into his arms, relaxed once again.

When they turn silent, bodies still, Maximus becomes serious with his order. "Kiss me now."

"Hold your horses," she sputters, as she turns again in his arms to face him. "I'm getting to it." - Well, at least he's nice looking under all that filth. -

As usual with her, confusion wracks his face. "What horses? I am only holding you, Beautiful One."

To her dismay, Diana blushes brightly at the unexpected compliment, a smile tugging at her lips, and Maximus grins like a love-struck boy at seeing the effect on her. - I wish to feel this one's smile upon me often. -

Taking a deep breath to calm herself, she begins to lean forward, trying to focus only on those sensuous lips near hers. His deep eyes are staring at hers intently, however, and Diana is suddenly not quite sure if his gaze is unnerving her more or, God forbid, exciting her, as she can't quite dismiss, as much as she wants to, an unfamiliar fluttering of pleasurable twinges low in her stomach.

"Close your eyes," she whispers.

"Do not order me," he says firmly, but quickly closes his eyes.


CHAPTER 12

With his eyes closed now, Maximus can't help but feel the slightest tremor of fear run through him that this highly unpredictable and very strong female will attack him. - If she dares strike me, I will not stay my hand! -

When her warm lips finally press upon his, he almost breathes an audible sigh of relief, leaning forward into her this time to be sure the kiss doesn't end too soon. His mouth opens immediately, ready to use his lips to demand entrance to the valley beneath he craves, when hers begin to open willingly, amazingly surrendering to him without coaxing or conquest. The moment their tongues touch, however, when his enters the warmth of her mouth, Diana gasps and pulls back, standing up quickly.

"We had a deal," she says, flustered and breathing heavily. "A kiss was all."

"Aye," he manages a strangled laugh to hide his frustration, standing up beside her. "I made another deal with a slave. If the others knew, I would be lashed myself."

"Don't worry, Max. Your secret is safe with me," she says seriously, thinking he's actually worried about it.

"Of course it is," he waves his hand dismissively. "Now let us leave this place." And he pulls out her other gun that she hadn't discovered.

"Give me that," Diana instantly snaps, reaching for it.

His arm moves away, and his voice lowers to a deep rumble. "Do not EVER try to take from me again, Slave. I will hold this one."

"But you don't even know how to use it," she tries to argue with him.

"Show me."

"No, just give it to me," her arm reaches out again, but quickly lowers at the warning in his eyes.

- Good, perhaps there is hope for her. - "Show me or I will make it work myself," he says, as he holds it up to look at it closely.

"Jesus no! Don't do that! You could shoot yourself or ME by accident. Here, watch me." And she proceeds to show him how to hold the weapon correctly and what to do when he's ready to kill someone with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they feel the time is right, he boosts her up onto his shoulders to see over the pit, and she spies the one guard sleeping soundly on the ground. Climbing out, she whacks the butt of her gun against his head and looks back into the pit at Maximus. The Roman is staring back at her, wondering if she will leave him now and run again. - By all of Hades, if she does, I will spend my entire afterlife haunting her. -

Diana is considering just that. Trying to decide what is best for her own safety. - Why should I care what happens to him? Christ, he's just a pile of dust in reality, dead thousands of years ago. - But knowing that he came all this way to save her, that the man may think of her as property but obviously has real feelings for her, makes her quickly change her mind, and, with a deep sigh of exasperation at herself, she reaches down and helps him pull himself out.

They're up and running quietly through the village, about to leave it behind, when they're suddenly spotted and spears begin thudding into the ground around them. Immediately, Maximus tries to shield her with his body, but she pushes him away and takes careful aim at the figures in the moonlight, shooting once, twice and killing both targets with one shot each.

Maximus, seeing another take aim with a spear at his slave, mimics her stance and shoots at the man, astonishing himself just as much as his target when the man falls over dead. The ancient general is so shocked that the strange weapon worked for him, that he turns it in his hand for a moment, a moment of bad decision, as a spear flies out of the darkness and hits him right in the shoulder of his sword arm, knocking the gun out of his hand.

"Max! You're hurt!" Diana shouts and grabs his fallen gun, shooting into the crowd with both, as they run towards the forest. A few more shots, and just as she's out of bullets, what little is left of the village decides that they've had enough death and lets them go, afraid to lose what few men remain to the Roman's magical weapons.

Although Maximus is bleeding badly, they keep running until they're sure no one is following them. A stop by a stream is finally made to rest, and as he sits wondering if he will lose his sword arm, she comes up behind him and places her hand on his other shoulder. His head whips around, and she smiles and tries to pull off his robe. "Let me look at it for you."

"Nay, 'tis but a normal wound. I have had worse."

"Don't be stubborn, Max. I .... I want to help you."

Looking deep into her eyes above him, he sees only concern and relents, muttering, "All women are alike."

Off comes the robe and the leather armor, and Diana pushes his tunic to the side of his chest to inspect the wound. - Bleeding too much, - she thinks worriedly and pulls off strips of her already ruined shirt. Wiping as carefully as she can some of the blood away with cold water, it's obvious to her that his cheek is twitching in response. "I'm sorry it hurts," she says softly. "I'm trying to be careful."

"Do not insult me," he huffs through another bolt of pain. "Tis not painful."

- Liar. Men, men, men, - she thinks with an inward roll of her eyes.

"You need a physician," is her diagnosis once she's gotten it bandaged as well as she can.

"Aye, we have rested long enough. Time to return to camp." - Gods, make her come willingly, I beg thee. I have not the strength for a struggle. - And they stand now, looking at each other, each knowing circumstance or the Fates have given Diana a choice to make. - I should go in a different direction. This is my chance. He's weak right now, no weapons. I could get away. Let'm walk back alone. Not my problem. -

Blood is already seeping through the makeshift bandage, and Maximus, still praying to himself, turns from her and starts walking through the woods. - DAMN! He's gonna bleed to death. Guy was smart enough to bring my guns and saved our asses .... DAMN! What are the chances I can get him within shouting distance of his camp, leave him and run like hell? ... DAMN! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, following silently behind him, not believing she is doing it, Diana can see that he is slowing down. Blood has run down his side, dripping to the forest floor, and the man is beginning to waver. "I need to rest," she calls to him, knowing that he won't stop on his own. - Stubborn men! -

"Nay," he answers without turning his head. "You do not need rest."

"Fine," she groans loudly. "But YOU do."

"Aye, but if I rest, death will claim me. I must keep moving to camp."

- Yeah, he's right. I guess. -

Another hour passes and Maximus begins to falter more, stumbling now, his good arm pushing against trees to keep himself upright. "Here," she says, coming up beside him, her arm going around his waist. "Lean on me."

"Leave me be, Woman," he tries to protest. "I need not your help."

"Oh shut up," she mutters, ignoring his sharp look, as his weakened body gives in and uses her strength against his now.

Eventually, however, Maximus leans more and more on her, dragging them both towards the ground, as his eyes begin to close, too weak to go on. - I die knowing she chose me. I die happy this day.

-Haven't done this in a long time, - she thinks with one last idea in mind. And with a strong heave, Diana just barely manages to heave Maximus up into the fireman's hold over her body and continue walking, her legs trembling under his muscled weight.

"Oh God, I can't!" she cries loudly after only traveling a few hundred yards, ready to drop him now and wait by his side until he dies. - I'm sorry, Max. I tried. -

Her exclamation of despair has brought a familiar noise, though, hoof beats coming through the trees. - What a lucky bastard! Those gods of his must be looking out for him. I think that's his horse over there! Must have left it behind to follow them to the village! -

With the very last of her strength, she is soon pushing him up over the animal onto his stomach and climbing on behind him. "Crap, how do I make this thing go?" she mutters now, lightly kicking the horse in the sides and taking hold of the reigns at the same time, as she struggles to keep Maximus from sliding off. Thankfully, the horse knows what to do, and with a rider on it, sensing its master, it begins walking in the right direction. "Hang in there, Max. I'll get you near camp before I take off. In some ways, you're an OK guy, but there's no way in hell I'm staying as your slave, whore, or whatever you think it is."

Before long, at daybreak, his soldiers, who have come out to search for their general, surround her, and Diana, although quite pissed off for herself, wisely remains silent, as they take the reigns of her horse, tie Maximus securely to it, and make her sit with the man of highest rank, a man who is very careful not to touch this particular female anymore than he has to on the ride back to camp. - If my General lives and his whore tells him that I touched her, he will likely lash me to the cross for a week. -

The fact that Maximus is still alive and that Diana was headed in the right direction with his unconscious body is the only reason she was not slain on the spot. - I just canNOT win! - she thinks furiously at being forced to go back to the camp with them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day, his shoulder cleaned and stitched by the camp physician, Maximus wakes briefly. Although he is sweating profusely, in much pain, the first thought he has is of her. "Where is she?" he rasps from his bed.

Quintus, who has been waiting by his side, breathes a sign of relief that his friend is still alive and instantly answers him. "I had her put in the cell, in irons this time."

- Release her! - Maximus wants to yell, but knowing he's in no shape to handle her now, he agrees with his Captain's wisdom. "My thanks to you, Quintus. Keep her there until I say otherwise. Make sure she has enough food, water, and clean hay with blankets to sleep on."

"Aye General. You wish her comfortable yet restrained."

So weak now from even this little talk, Maximus can barely nod, as his physician places yet another poultice on the wound and tells him that it is the Gods' will whether he lives or dies now. Cicero is watching closely, and Maximus glances at him just once, a cool acknowledgement to the boy before falling back into a sick sleep and soon calling out for Diana in his delirium. Ignoring his cries, the physician and slaves continue to apply cool compresses to their master's bare body to try to bring down his temperature. Unfortunately, it is obvious to everyone that Maximus is not likely to recover.

An hour passes and Quintus contemplates the strange female while watching his friend thrash and call for her. A decision made, he walks to the cell. "Woman, I believe General Maximus is soon to die. I am breaking his order to keep you here, but I fear it will soon matter not. Come, your master calls for you."

Silently, she nods her head and follows him without protest, thankful to be out of the cell after spending hours swearing up and down at Maximus for leaving her in there. - I can't believe that asshole really did order them to keep me in here! And here I go about to save his ass again if I can get to that medic kit. What the fuck is wrong with me? -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Diana," Maximus moans again in fever, as she stares down at his magnificent glistening body, a body she can see is dying from the infection that has set in.

"I'm here, Max," she says gently, anger already forgotten, as she leans down near his face. "Don't die."

At the sound of her voice, his eyes open, struggling not to close again. "If I die now, I die seeing your beauty once again."

"No more talk of death," she chides him. "Tell me where the medic kit is, the white container with my medicines in it. I might be able to help you. I have more medicine just like I gave you for the poison arrow."

"Nay," he tries but fails at shaking his head. "Hades will torture my soul if I escape him twice. 'Tis my time." And just as he is about to tell Quintus to bring a parchment so that he can officially release Diana from the status of slave while requesting that Quintus care for her and petition Caesar for her citizenship, she cries harshly at him, "You fool! A soldier never dies easily! He fights it with every fiber of his being! Only a coward would give in!"

All movement in the room stops, waiting to see what the general will do to a slave that would speak to him thus. His pain-glazed eyes abruptly flare at her, and his hand, feeling sudden strength again, grips her wrist. "You would do well to pray for my death, SLAVE, for if I do not enter Elysium today, I will fire your backside! .... Cicero!" his fiery eyes turn to the boy. "Bring the strange box to her. 'Tis hidden behind the map chest in the command tent." And his hand loses its surge of strength, slipping off her to fall back into unconsciousness.

- Shit, - she thinks with a hint of self-worry. - Sure made the big guy angry. But if it worked ... Guess I'll just have to deal with it later. -

Within minutes, Cicero has run back in with the box, not at all happy that the female is back in the camp, but willing to do anything he must to keep his master and 'lover' alive. - I will never find a master as gentle as he again! -

Taking the box, Diana opens it swiftly, well aware of being under everyone's intense scrutiny. The needle is then quickly filled with an antibiotic and shoved more roughly than necessary into a vein. And, for a split second, unnoticed, Quintus moves his hand to his sword when he sees the woman stabbing his general, but it is done so quickly, he manages to stay his hand and not behead her.

"There," she announces and moves from the bed to sit in a chair and wait. "Done." - If he survives, things will be different finally. No more of this slave bullshit. -

- What shall I do with her? - Quintus wonders. - Will it anger Maximus if he lives and I have taken her back to the cell? Or will it anger him that I did not follow his previous order? I do not trust her strange ways. For some reason I will never understand, Maximus has yet to break this slave, and I fear 'tis she the one doing the breaking. She must be contained until he is well. If he dies, she dies. - Drawing his short-sword, he motions Diana to leave the tent. "Away from him now, Slave. Back to the cell."

"Hey! Wait a minute! This isn't right!" she tries to protest, as he pushes her out. "I won't run! I swear! Let me stay in here!" Her protests fall on deaf ears, however, and soon Diana is back in irons, chained to spend the rest of the day and night fuming again. - Boy oh boy, he owes me big time! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At sunrise, a recovered enough Maximus opens the cell to be spit at by an enraged Diana. "Glad to see you refused Hades! Now get me the hell out of here!"

She does not know how his maelstrom of emotions have been wavering back and forth since he awoke only minutes earlier; relief to be alive, relief that his female is still in the camp, relief that she had the knowledge and even more surprisingly the will to save his life, but quite furious again that it was all because she had ran from him, again. And, then, to make matters even worse, she had the insolence to call him a fool and a coward in front of others.

His heart hardens at seeing her incensed face, and he slams the door closed. - Must think clearly before I make a hasty decision. -

"You shit!" she screams. "I saved your life ... AGAIN! Let me out, you motherfucker!" And she begins banging on the door with her chains, the entire camp staring at Maximus and the cell, waiting.

Seeing his followers watching him, watching for a sign of weakness in their Great General, his blood begins to boil. - 'Tis time! No more of her defiance! She ran away and must pay by Roman law! - A wave of furor erupts from him, and he throws open the door, dragging the woman out by her chains while she stumbles behind him. When Diana sees where he's pulling her, though, she begins to fight, resisting against the chains until his fist wraps in her hair, yanking her so hard that she squeals in pain and finds herself against a cross, again.

Within seconds, Maximus has her bound to it, stripped of all her clothing, and Diana is left panting in fear, bare with her back to him, as a lash is placed in his hand. Her head turns, her eyes wide with fright, watching with horror, as the man stares at her with a cold emotionless face, drops the lash ..... and takes off his belt.


CHAPTER 13

Maximus deliberately snaps the belt loudly in his hand, but instead of intimidating the woman like expected, it has the opposite effect. Something about being struck like a child with a belt turns Diana's fear into fury now, her face contorted in rage, as she begins to scream obscenities at him. "Go ahead, you fuck! Belt me! You don't scare me anymore! You're no different than any weak man! Pathetic!"

SMACK! It hits her ass and she yelps loudly, taken aback by the swiftness of the attack this time. "You son of a bitch!" she swears and pulls on the chains in a crazed desire to wrap her hands around his neck and squeeze. "After everything I've done for you!"

"DONE FOR ME?" he roars, the cold blank mask gone from his face now, as his own fury comes forth. Maximus no longer even sees the crowd gathered in amazement at the scene. In his mind it is only him and a woman who continues to infuriate him; infuriate him in a way no other has ever dare done to him before. "I'm your MASTER! 'Tis your LIFE to do for ME!"

And the belts lands a second time.

"NO ONE IS MY MASTER!" she screams with every ember of her freedom-loving soul.

SMACK! SMACK! The belt flies through the air; angry-looking red welts appearing on her buttocks.

"You WILL respect me! You will not run away! You WILL obey me!"

"NEVER!!!" she shrieks.

Whatever little control Maximus had left in him is lost now. The belt comes down over and over again so swiftly that Diana begins to moan in pain, the agony of this lashing over-riding her righteous anger, as her body loses it's defiant stance, and she eventually slumps in the chains, falling silent.

At the first sign of blood, the Roman's sanity comes rushing back, the belt drops from his hand, and he gasps in horror at what he did to her, truly seeing it for the first time. That beautiful skin of hers he desires to touch with shared pleasure is flaming red now from her neck to her feet; one trickle of blood running down her shoulder from where he struck high on her neck and, without want, broke the tender skin.

His mouth opens, wanting to say something merciful, something compassionate, even - Gods, what is wrong with me? - fall to his knees and beg her forgiveness in front of the camp. But, just as he is about to rush to her side, he hears between her moans of pain three words that hurt him more than he ever thought possible from another human being, three words that drive a dagger straight into his heart, a place that he should never have allowed this woman entry. She said, 'I hate you.'

- 'Tis done! - he shakes his head, trying to cast out the unwanted affliction to his heart and soul. - I cannot take it back! - And wiping his brow, he turns on his heel and storms to his tent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours pass before Maximus personally checks on her. Diana is awake and very quiet, wondering to herself if the man is going to leave her there to die. - I hope he does! - she thinks, as she watches her tormentor stare at her now. - I've had enough of him! Enough of this! Die now and get it over with! -

- Her flesh must be very sore, yet she continues to stare at me with fire in those eyes. She suffered much pain without a single womanly tear or cry for mercy. I know now the cross is not the way to break her. I will find another way, and soon she will only show fire in my bed. - Pulling his eyes from hers, he leaves, ordering Quintus to cut her down and bring her to the bath.

Although Diana is kept bare for the walk through the camp, she is no longer humiliated and holds her head high, staring anyone in the eye that looks closely at her. She does protest, however, when she sees Maximus waiting in his private hot bath for her. "I don't need a bath," she snaps, struggling to get out of the hold Quintus has on her arm now.

With just a nod of his head, Maximus silently commands Quintus, who releases her to watch her fall heavily into the water. "Fuck!" she sputters, coming up for air.

Containing a chuckle, Maximus allows only a quirk of a smile at his amusement, a smile Diana easily ignores in her indignation while trying to climb out of the bath. Immediately, at another nod of his head, two guards and Quintus step in front of her with their swords drawn. And Diana freezes to look over at Maximus, whose eyes show her only warmth and fondness, every bit of the coldness and fury from the beating gone now. "You have been punished," he says quite gently. "Tis forgotten now. Relax. Enjoy my bath. Soothe yourself."

"Oh I see," she huffs, sitting back into the water. "You get to belt me and then I'm supposed to just forget it?"

"Of course," his eyebrow lifts in confusion at her questioning of something so simple. - I have never met a woman who asks so many questions of a man. 'Tis not to my liking, but I know not how to break her of it without harming her. -

"Not where I come from," she spits back at him.

"Diana," he says warningly, although deliberately giving her the respect of using her name at a time he is in control of his emotions. "You must remember. You are not where you come from. You must fit in here. Your new life."

"Or what?" she asks. - Didn't call me Slave! And he's not even dying this time! - she quips to herself.

- Another question! Will this female never tire and simply surrender like she must? - "Or I will kill you myself," he says only for the benefit of the guards listening. And he continues much lower for only her ears, "You must believe me. It pained me greatly to harm you. It pains me to harm anyone under my protection. I know you have saved my life twice, but I cannot allow you to talk to me with defiance in front of my men or my slaves. Not only did you run away, you called me words that were within my right to flay you alive."

"Oh, I get it," she almost laughs out loud now at the narrow-mindedness of what he is saying. "So, in private, between you and me, it's OK to say what I want? You know, since I saved your life and all ... twice."

"Let us simply say," and he pauses a moment to consider his words before speaking, "I am becoming used to it. But you will do so no longer in front of others."

"Fine," she agrees with a dismissive toss of her head. "I won't disrespect your authority anymore in front of anyone. But don't be surprised by what I say in private."

That slightly crooked smile widens brilliantly with a nod of his head in gratitude, and, for a moment, Diana stares at the smile brightening his usually somber features and almost forgets what she wants to say. "I ... I want out of that cell now," she finally stammers, pulling her eyes from his lips.

"Your place is in my tent now," he agrees. - And by my side. -

"Yeah, right," she snorts. "Chained to your bed again?"

"Nay, not chained ... in my bed, after I confirm something first," he graciously explains.

"Huh? Confirm what?" - And if you think I'll willingly sleep in your bed, Mister ....-

Maximus pays no attention to her last question and stands, holding down his hand to help her out. Just like him, however, Diana ignores what she wants, especially that eye-catching groin of his in her face now and climbs out on her own, soon following him back to his tent for a filling mid-day meal of warm food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeing her wince slightly at sitting at his table, he asks with more than a hint of worry, "Did the bath not soothe you?" -Perhaps I should have Cicero massage her. His hands have indeed worked wonders on my flesh. -

"Oh sure," she answers sarcastically. "I'm just so used to getting my ass whipped every day."

A very male chuckle. The man is finally learning to recognize when she is serious and not. "Tis my hope that the only soreness your flesh will ever feel after today is from the weight of mine upon you."

"Gotta feeling I'm in for a lot more whippings," she mutters in English, as she stuffs cheese in her mouth.

Serious again, he states after a moment, "I wish you to learn the Roman letters like all my slaves."

- Why bother? Not gonna be here long enough to need to read anything. - "Sure, whatever. Give me something to do. I'm surprised you people educate your slaves."

"Most don't," Maximus sighs. "But I prefer the members of my household to be prepared for whatever may happen upon my death or if I so desire to grant them freedom while I live."

- Time to learn more about this backward concept they have about freedom and equal rights. - "If you grant a slave their freedom, what prevents them from becoming a slave to another?"

"Nothing, unless I petition Caesar or the Senate to grant them citizenship, which I would." - When I was at Hades' doorway, I would have ensured through Quintus that Caesar protect you for me as my dying wish. You would have been safe and a citizen of Rome. -

"Max, what do I have to do to convince you to give me freedom and petition for citizenship on my behalf?" - Time to play another game of Let's Make a Deal! Just hope a houseful of Roman babies isn't waiting for me behind Door Number 3! -

"Would you be my willing bed-mate?" is the immediate answer, as he looks at her very closely, his eyes peering into hers with a noticeable hopeful glint. - If she speaks true, I will release her now and rejoice her freedom and our future coupling. -

"Y...y...yeah, sure I would," she stammers out the lie, struggling to keep her eyes on his. - I can't! It's wrong! I don't belong here! ..... Or .... or maybe I should? He's kept his word before. Fuck for freedom? Not like it's gonna kill me or even get me pregnant right now. And damn, he sure is hot. I could do a helluva lot worse for my first time. Just wish he wasn't so damn controlling! -

Narrowing his eyes at her hesitancy, sensing the lie, Maximus leans very close to Diana over the table. "I believe you would say anything to twist me to your desires. You try to play games with me, but I will not play. Your flesh wants for mine. A fact you can no longer hide. Be happy I am not a typical man, for you are a typical woman speaking false, and I should simply take you and be done with it."

"Typical woman who can still get the best of you," she can't stop herself from muttering. - Survivor Amazon, here I come!-

SLAM! His fist comes down on the table, and Diana jumps - Big mouth's gonna get me killed one of these days! - ready to bolt out of the tent if he hadn't sat back and angrily gulped down a goblet of wine.

The remainder of the meal is spent in tense silence until Maximus can stand it no more and calls for a slave to bring him parchments to begin the reading lessons. Hours later, at seeing yet again what a fast pupil she is, he stands upon receiving a whispered message from Cicero. "Tis time."

"Time for what?" she immediately asks, as he lifts her to her feet and begins to pull her to his bedchamber, not about to answer yet another question.

Diana, of course, digs her heels in as hard as she can, trying to wrest from his grip on her. "Don't do this, Max. I'll fight you with everything I've got," she warns him, as she's forced through the flap.

Easily tossing her on his bed, he replies quite lightly, "I would be surprised if you did not."

Jumping to her feet, standing on the bed, she lunges at him. - Not gonna rape me without getting a few licks in first! -

Maximus was quite prepared for it. Nothing this woman does really surprises him anymore, and he catches her in mid-air, swiftly throwing her back down while whistling loudly. Within seconds, his physician and two guards are in the room. "What's going on?" she shouts, rolling off the bed to stand defensively in a corner.

"Lay down," Maximus continues to try to remain calm. "I will have your womanhood inspected for me now." - Do not fight me in front of them! -

"What?" she gasps in surprise at such a strange thing, her head shaking NO, as her arms fold across her chest in defiant outrage.

"Lay down, Woman!" he commands tersely. "Remember the bath!"

His words may be harsh, but Diana is sure she sees now a pleading look in his eyes aimed directly at her. - Damn, I did kinda promise him, didn't I? - Slowly, with obvious reluctance she sits on the edge of the bed. "I don't understand. I told you I'm pure. Why do you need to confirm it? How does that change anything?"

"By the Gods, all you do is question me," he heaves with exasperation. "Any other master would have cut your tongue out by now."

- I know ... and raped and killed me days ago. - "Please, Max," a pleading look comes into HER eyes now. "Explain it to me. I really want to understand these things if I'm going to be stuck here with you."

Maximus can't help it, she's being calm now, no longer outwardly defiant, and his mouth turns upwards just a hint at her choice of words at being stuck with him; a nod also given to show her that he's pleased she understood the way it must be with an audience. "I understand," he explains, "from what you have told me about your world, that maidenhood is given away freely by women when they want. 'Tis not so highly prized as in my world."

Comprehension dawns on her. "You mean I'm worth more to you when you see that I've never been with a guy?"

"Aye, Diana," he gives her the respect of her name. "But truth be told, it matters not to me in that way. Pure or not, I value you the same."

"As property," she grunts.

"Of course," he shrugs. "But if you are indeed a maiden of virtue, then it brings a change."

"How? You won't rape me if I'm pure?" - Please, please, please God! -

"Rape is not the word for it," he says rigidly, struggling with himself not to be insulted that a slave of his would call it rape. "A slave cannot be raped. Only a citizen of Rome may claim that grievance."

"Still rape," she mutters mostly to herself, but understands what the man means.

"The end will not change," he continues, almost pleasantly now that she is remaining still. "I will bed you either way, but the way I do so will change if you are untouched."

"I'm confused," she looks up, quickly walking to him to whisper by his ear and keep her word in front of the others. "You'll take me unwilling whether I'm pure or not, but if I'm pure, you'll do it differently? What could be different? Unwilling is unwilling, Max, and I will not be willing for you or any man."

Large hands clasp almost gently around her upper-arms, pulling her against him, as he whispers back. "As long as I know you, I will not understand your stubbornness to share pleasures with me when I sense your body wishes it too. But you are correct, Diana. I will take you differently if you are pure, willing or not. A pure gift from the Gods must be treated in the accord it is due," and he slowly runs the point of his tongue softly within her ear, murmuring, "You will see."

- Oh God! - A low sigh escapes her lips, her legs buckling uncontrollably, and Maximus grins, lowering her to the bed. - Aye, she wants me. No more lashings will be needed, I am happy to see. I do not think I could bear to strike her again. -

He's leaning over her, and, for a timeless moment, they only see each other, his grin gone replaced by a soft expression on his face, as her eyes search his, trying to make some sort of sense of these feelings between them. - I'm letting him get to me! His tender side is breaking me down! Hold on to your heart, Diana! The guy's married, and I don't even belong here! He can break my body, but he's not breaking my heart! -

- I want this one so badly I ache constantly, my body, my heart. She has entered it like the Goddess she is to me, and I cannot cast her out now. I would give her anything she wants if she would only stay willingly in my arms. -

A cough from the doctor breaks their hold, and Maximus looks up at the man, nodding his head and standing back now. - Please, do not move, - his eyes beg to hers, a message clearly seen.

The doctor positions himself on the bed and proceeds to lift her legs, pushing the tunic up. - Wait! - comes a moment of panic, staring at Maximus and then to the soldiers. - I know you won't leave, but please, not in front of them too! -

The look is unmistakable to him, silent words becoming clearer between them now that they each feel their souls opening to the other, wanted or not. With another nod and wave of his hand to his men, they are soon left alone in the chamber with only the physician.

As Maximus watches closely, the tunic is pushed up onto her waist, and she allows the physician to spread her legs, feeling, but not being able to stop, a scarlet reddening come to her face at being made to do this. "Hands better be clean," she mumbles to hide her embarrassment.

"Of course," Maximus hears her, looking up briefly from staring in reverence at those rose petal chambered lips he wants so badly to touch now. "I would not entrust your care to anyone else."

- OW! - she suddenly grimaces with a slight groan, her body noticeably tensing even more. And Maximus looks up again, pleased to his male-egoed core much more than he expected he would be that her claim was true. He's grinning from ear to ear, so much so that Diana has to clench the blankets to keep herself from jumping up and wiping the smugness off his face. - Men! It doesn't change anything, you prick! Just 'cuz my body is breaking down for you doesn't mean I will! You'll be raping a virgin whether you wanna call it rape or not! -

- I had to be sure. I truly believe she will say anything to avoid sharing pleasures with me no matter what her body may speak. If I had simply taken her word and her claim had been false, the Gods would have been angered by the honors she will receive now. If her claim had been false upon inspection by my physician, I would be in that bed within her right now. But the claim is true, my thanks to the Gods. This female is pure, and my seed will be the first and only to ever enter her. -

The doctor is quickly dismissed, and as fast as she can, Diana's standing up and angrily pushing the tunic back down. - Wait 'til I tell my gynecologist about that! -

"Caesar is on his way to camp," he says seriously now, his mind racing. "I will show my prize to him. We will be going back to Rome, and at the next full moon I will take you to bed after you have been properly prepared by matrons, whether we be in Rome or my home in Trujillo." And, suddenly, the thought of his wife helping to prepare Diana for him pleases him even more. - Maria will accept Diana. I love her and she me. She will understand like the good wife she is. -

- Full moon? Hmmm that's almost four more weeks, I think. Just had a full moon, didn't we? Gotta find a way to get away from him by then. At least the idiot men of my own time have bought me more time here by being too stupid to wanna sleep with. -

"Hey," she sudden remembers that he mentioned Caesar. "You haven't forgotten what I told you about Marcus, have you?"

"Do not concern yourself with it anymore," he replies with a dismissive toss of his head. "I will keep a close watch when he arrives."

"Well," Diana's not about to let him forget how he knows about it. "What do I get when I'm proven right? If you catch his son trying to kill him?"

"My gratitude," Maximus answers, as though she could not want for more. "Come, I wish to show you around the camp properly now. I was planning to honor you in this way regardless of your purity, but now is the right time. I am elevating your status. You are still my slave, but you are also my Concubine-In-Waiting."


CHAPTER 14

- Huh? - "What's the difference? And what's a mistress then?" - I'm a CONCUBINE? That sounds so ... so barbaric! -

Maximus smiles indulgently, as they are alone. "You will be treated with more respect around the camp. You will no longer be disciplined in public, only in private. And you will wear a lady's stola and sandals now. The tunic you so hate can be removed at once. A mistress is all that I have said plus Roman citizenship. - Something you will not have until you have proven yourself in my arms. I will not risk losing you! -

"I'd still rather wear my regular clothing ... please?" - He won't give me citizenship. I think he's afraid I'll either take off or other men will fight over me and I'll choose some other guy as a lover and protector. -

- Please? My wildcat has said please to me twice now? Thank Jupiter she is learning! - "Diana, the top cover and that strange binding you held your breasts in were useless after the village. I had them burned. Only your leggings, outer garment and that perplexing black footwear remain in my safekeeping. Perhaps, one day, I will allow you to wear them in private with me." And he grins, as he hands her the lady's garment he had ready, a sudden picture coming to mind of this particular woman standing over him in bed wearing nothing but those strange enclosed sandals, her combat boots.

- My, he looks pleased with himself, - she notes and turns her back on him, quickly changing into the much more modest type dress. Within moments, Maximus has called his female slaves into the chamber to fix her hair in the Roman style, spray her body with scented water and paint her face lightly while he stands back and nods approvingly. Maximus, a contented married man, had never considered taking a concubine before, but with the way Diana kept defying him, he had decided while she was hanging on the cross the second time that it was possible that granting her this new status would settle her down somewhat so that he wouldn't have to restrain her in such a way again.

It is a plan that appears to be working well in his eyes, and he is full of satisfaction with himself for thinking of it. The General of Rome has no idea that Diana would be willing to dress like a clown if it will keep her out of his bed for even an extra day. She hates having the women fuss all over her now, but if it means holding off, for a few more weeks, a man she has no desire to fall any further for, she'll force herself to endure it.

When the slaves have finished, they bow to both him and her, and Maximus holds out his arm for her to take. "Lady Diana that you are now, let us walk the camp together."

- Christ! - a small smile is forced, not quite reaching her eyes, as she takes his offered arm, making Maximus smile broadly now. - He thinks he's being chivalrous! Next thing ya know he'll be putting that fur robe down over puddles for me!... Shit! - she quickly pulls her eyes from his 'all too nice to look at' beaming face. - Wish he'd stop doing that! -

Showing her around the camp, he introduces her as Lady Diana, his other hand deliberately placed gently yet very possessively over her hand on his arm. Word, of course, has already reached fast in the camp, and everyone knows of the slave's new status, not at all surprised by it, as they smile and bow to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When dinner is served this time in his tent, there is no mistaking the openly resentful looks that Cicero is giving her. "So Max, do your other slaves ever eat with you?" - Hmmm, getting easier to call myself a slave. Oh well, it's just a word. -

A relaxed Maximus, much more willing to answer questions now, has also noticed that she didn't stumble or hesitate on the word like she has before. "Slaves eat in the cooking quarter. An exception was made for you, as sharing a meal in order to learn more about your uniqueness made sense to me."

"Oh," she stands up. "Well, now that you know about me, I guess I should head there with the other slaves."

"Diana," he glowers at her. "Sit. As Concubine you have even more right to the table with me than before." - Why? Why must she continually push me? -

Glancing up at Cicero, standing in the corner as usual, Diana decides that as much as she would rather blend in with the other slaves and not be treated any differently, it's simply too late now, and the thought of dealing with a very jealous youth who must loathe her would probably be worse.

The meal is spent mostly in silence, although not as uncomfortable as usual, until the moment comes when Maximus decides that it's time to bring the boy back to heel. "Cicero," he says, holding his temper in much easier now that everything has worked out satisfactory. "You disobeyed a direct order."

Diana immediately lowers her head in embarrassment for the boy. - Damn. Kid's gonna be whipped by the man he loves. Sorry, tried to help ya out, Cicero. No way in hell I'm doing anything more with Max than that kiss, though! -

Cicero is trembling, his eyes lowered, knowing there is nothing he can do to change what is about to happen. - I despise this female. I had no choice. And I will not ask forgiveness this time for something I do not regret. -

"Go to the cross." Maximus stands up, sensing through the boy's false stance that he is not truly penitent. "You will never disobey me again."

"Max!" she speaks up now while Cicero exits the chamber. "You said you'd go easy on him. Beating him in public?"

"Is what a slave deserves. He released you. I almost died re-claiming you. Punishment for his crime must be public. Be thankful you are Concubine now. If you force me to punish you again, it will be in my bedchamber."

Head falling into her hands, she groans in frustration. "Just don't forget our deal."

"And I trust you will be here when I return. For if I must capture you once more, I swear on the Sword of Mars that I will strip you of status and keep you in chains for a month."

Very quietly, in resignation, Diana sighs at the table, unable to look at him. "I'll be here."

Her seeming surrender both pleases him, and, to his consternation, also saddens him; saddens him in a way he's never felt before and is not quite sure he's entirely comfortable with. His hand touches her shoulder in consolation, but it is shrugged off, leaving not anger but dismay etched on his face as he walks out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Only ten minutes later Maximus is back and satisfied with his discipline of his once-favored slave. Ten easily controlled lashes on his back, no blood, although the boy wept tears of pain the moment the first strike landed. Diana is found attempting to read scrolls at his desk in a small area he uses for paperwork and contemplation. "Don't tell me," she looks up at his entrance. "I'm not allowed to sit at your desk, right?"

"Well," he pauses to think for a moment. "No one has ever but me."

"Because it's not allowed?"

"Nay, 'tis allowed. You may remain."

"Well thank you, Sir," she says with more than a hint of sarcasm.

"Diana ..," he warns with a low rumble, but she quickly heads him off with her sweetest smile and goes right back to her reading.

Minutes later he is still standing near her, tapping his foot impatiently and wondering to himself why. - Even my lovely Maria knows not to leave me standing like this. -

"Yes, Max," she eventually looks up from the scroll. - Why can't he just leave me alone? -

She's being so docile for once, although still irritating, that the man is almost afraid to say anything for fear of unleashing the wildcat again. - Nay, she is still my slave. And, as Concubine now, she must learn her duties. - "Tis time for my daily massage. Come and you will be shown what to do."

"Me?" her eyes widen in surprise. "I ... I don't know how."

"No matter. You will learn. Now come." And he walks out, fully expecting that she will follow.

Diana hesitates, the idea of massaging the man she knows her body reacts to against her will is unnerving her to the point of considering defiance. - No, I better just do it. Keep'm happy. He won't attack me for a few more weeks. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In his chamber, his other two females rush in and begin stripping his clothing off for him while Diana studiously averts her eyes. - Why does EVERYTHING have to be naked with these people?! -

"Mmmmm," he sighs, laying on his stomach now while oils are rubbed everywhere from neck to feet by the women. "Diana," he practically purrs, his head turning towards her. "Watch closely. Tomorrow you will be responsible for this."

A weak smile in response, her eyes are glued to what the women are doing to his muscles and how well those muscles respond to such firm, yet obviously pleasurable, ministrations. - WOW, and I used to think men's asses were kinda ugly. -

"And you will be pleased to know," he continues, happily seeing where her eyes are planted, "that once we are mated you will also receive a daily massage."

It breaks right through her trance. - Oh gee, ain't he the generous one? - she looks up from his backside. - A free massage every day he forces me to spread my legs. What a bargain. Guess I should cancel my spa membership. -

Rolling over onto his back, the two other women leaving the room now, Maximus lifts himself up onto his elbows. "Tell me," he says, watching her stare now at his manhood, flaccid only by the strength of his control. "You have never seen a sword before?"

"Sword?" she swings her eyes to meet his. "Sure, seen lots of them." - What a weird question. -

When his face darkens, however, she immediately realizes her mistake. - Ohhhh, he meant .... - And she looks at it again, blushing deeply before turning her head away. "I ... I thought you meant .... you know .... SWORDS ... weapons .... not ... you know ... THAT."

Maximus suddenly roars with laughter, jumping off the bed and almost falling on the ground in near-uncontrollable amusement at her error. It's so damn infectious, seeing him laugh like a kid, that Diana begins laughing too, laughing together until he finally finds control of his legs again and stands before her, close. One moment she's laughing, the next, her breath is catching at his nearness. - Oh God! I can't breathe! - she thinks wildly, as his hand gently cups her chin and pulls her face down. - He's taking all the air in here! -

"Look at it, Diana," he breathes softly. "You must get used to it. No more blushing. You may be pure, but you are not a young maiden."

"I'm ... I'm looking," she stammers, forcing herself not to pull her head back up.

"See how it grows for you?" his voice turns husky. "Tis hungry to sheathe in your chamber."

"Full moon," she squeaks out, watching it fill with blood, lengthening and widening until it's pressed against her abdomen. "You said full moon." - Dear God in heaven, I think I'm gonna faint! -

"Full moon, My Beautiful One," his lips move in her hair, caressing, "and my sword will impale you many times."

Her face lifts, body trembling in both fear and arousal, and the primal male in Maximus can scent both on her, knowing the woman wants him yet is frightened of the unknown. "Do not fear," he murmurs, holding her eyes with his. "The pain will be as minimal as I can make it for you. By the Goddess Diana for who you were named, I will not harm you."

Gulping nervously, she forces a smile. - Sorry, Max, but I think you will. Gonna be painful with that size when you force me, no matter what you say. -

His head nods, pleased at her smile, and the question is repeated. "Now tell me, have you ever seen a sword before?"

Diana's eyes flicker with worry, wondering if she should lie or tell the truth. - Truth. He seems pretty good at knowing when I come right out and lie to him. - "Yes, Max," she lowers her eyes fearfully. "I have."

"Where? How?" comes the low rumble of a demand, as his grip on her chin tightens and his face darkens once again.

Slowly, her eyes lift, speaking calmly although feeling as terrified inside as a deer caught in headlights. "In my time, soldiers under my command."

"Are you saying," his voice lowers dangerously, "that you made your soldiers pleasure you in ways that did not take your purity?"

"No! Of course not!" she turns angry now at such an immoral thought and pulls her face out of his grip. "Not everything is about sex! I respected my men, and they respected me! It's just a body. Men would often clean and change clothing while we discussed military matters. My seeing them nude meant nothing!"

"I see," he struggles to hold back his temper at being yelled at. "And does this mean they saw YOU?"

"No," she admits, almost reluctantly. "No one ever saw me but my physician, a woman."

Until then, Maximus didn't even realize he was holding a breath deep inside, and he lets it out now, nodding to her with a grunt and proceeds to get dressed. -Wheeeew! - she takes hold of the dresser to steady herself for a moment. -THAT was a close one! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later, he finds her once again in his 'study'. - She must feel comfortable in here. I would prefer she spend her time reading in my bed, but there will be time for that later. -

Diana, learning to recognize his footsteps by now, doesn't bother to look up at him in greeting, and after a moment of tense silence, Maximus sighs and makes an announcement. "We will be having guests for a special late-night meal. There will be a ritual celebration of a man taking a concubine."

- Whoopee doo dah, another ritual, - she barely glances up at him to ask with little interest, "Who's coming?" - If it isn't Michael J. Fox with the Delorian, I ain't interested. -

"Captain Quintus and Lady Helena, his concubine. They will bear witness for us. I am pleased, for they have been mated for five years now."

"Only five years?" her interest perks up. "That doesn't seem very long."

"Tis for a concubine," he explains. "Many only last for three or less years depending on their master."

"Huh? What happens?" - Something is rotten in Denmark. Or make that Rome! -

"Nothing happens, Diana," he says quietly, although a strange sadness comes to his eyes that she can see. "Their masters simply grow weary of them, replaces them with new concubines."

- That's horrible! Won't happen to me! I'll be outta here or dead long before then! - "So, when you say replace, I take you really mean kill?"

"Sometimes," he frowns, his eyes really showing how much it truly bothers him. "I do not approve of it, but 'tis their right. Many are also traded or sold to a new master, and a lucky few are given citizenship status along with a generous stipend to help attract a new protector, but as a free woman this time."

"That's barbaric!" she cries out loud now. "Did you ... did you ever....?"

"Nay! You are my first concubine," he answers firmly, as he moves closer to her now, mistaking her anger for worry for her own future. "Have no fear, Diana," he says in his most reassuring tone. "I will not grow weary of you. We will have many children, and you will live wherever I go, share my bed with my wife. I will always be your protector. You will not share the fate of most concubines."

"Uhhhhh, yeah. Well, thanks, Max," she nods, trying, but failing, to appear grateful like he expects.

His body tightens and he steps back. "By the Gods, I do not understand you, Woman. I offer you life and happiness for the remainder of your years, and you make it sound like I have condemned you to eternity in prison."

- That's IT! Time to make this perfectly clear to the King of Dense! - Standing up, she faces him without fear. "Look, I'm sorry, but YOU don't understand. In my world, the only fucking world I WANT to live in, it IS a prison sentence. Life without freedom isn't worth living!" - And I have NO intention of ever meeting your Missus! -

She can hear it now. A low growl working it's way up his chest. Anyone else would either run like hell or at least bow their head and hope to be left standing. Diana does neither. Her stomach is knotting now, but she won't surrender this time.

After the longest moment of her life, Maximus swallows back down his rage. "You would do best, SLAVE, to keep in mind that you no longer live in YOUR world. You live in MINE, and I will do everything in my power to make you forget any life you ever had before me." - Even if I must throttle you, - he thinks half-seriously, as he storms out.

"Amazing, guy held his temper for once," she mutters to herself and looks back down at her reading. - If he could lay off the slave crap, gimme my freedom and stop making with the bedding bullshit, I'd consider sticking around. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another hour passes and one of the females enters the room with a bow. "Lady Diana?"

"Please, call me Diana, and stop bowing when we're alone." - I sure as hell ain't no lady! -

"I cannot, Lady Diana. You have been honored with Concubine status."

*SIGH* - I'll never get through to these people. -

"Our Master," the girl continues, looking up now, "requests your presence at his bath."

"Oh he does, does he? Requests? Well, please tell Max thank you, but no thank you. I'm fine." - It's gonna be dark soon. Didn't we just have a bath this morning? -

A stricken look crosses the girl's face at the thought of bringing this response to Maximus, and Diana, seeing it, sighs again. "Fine, fine. I'll go to his fucking highness."

A gasp of horror from the girl, and she quickly hands Diana a robe and runs out. - The Master is a wonderful lover with Cicero and his wife. Why does his concubine disrespect him so? -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the first time, Diana is allowed to walk unescorted through the camp, and she finds him smiling at her from the water. Maximus had deliberately made it a request and not an order, and he is quite pleased with himself for discovering how best to keep his prickly female in check. - She may not be happy with her new life yet, but I do not wish to keep fighting her over even little things such as this. -

Diana is also finding it easier to bathe in public than she ever would have thought possible, and, with little hesitation, she nods at him, slips her robe off and slides into the water. - Strange. His guards aren't even looking at me anymore like they usually do. Must be this new status thing.

She's right. Being made Concubine has given her privacy in regards to her body. No one will dare ever look at her in that way again without risking the wrath of Maximus. "Your body is for my eyes only now," he speaks up at noticing the thoughtful glances she's giving the guards. "And I wish to speak with you as we bathe about later tonight."

"Sure, whatever," she says, leaning back to wet her hair.

With her back arched, her breasts have risen above the water, and Maximus finds himself suddenly sucking in a heated breath, quickly shifting his eyes back to her face. "Lady Diana, there are things tonight you will learn from Lady Helena. Things about your new status."

"Such as?" - Here we go .... -

"It would not be proper for me to speak closely of these matters with you. I ask that you listen to her, watch her, and speak in private with her about what you must learn. I will tell you that a slave's duties are to myself and the household, the menial chores of running my homes and lands while attending to me. A concubine does not need to worry about the home ... only her master. Your full attention will only be on me."

"Sounds boring," she shrugs.

Smoother than she ever would have thought possible in water, Maximus is standing directly over her. "Tis NOT boring, I assure you."

"OK OK, I believe you," she rushes, staring in alarm at his genitalia hanging in her face now.

"I believe we will start with one duty that I will tell you myself. Wash me, My Concubine."

"Wash yourself," she immediately spits.

A rustle in the trees, and Maximus sees his guards watching the exchange, knowing she is defying him. "Diana .....," he warns, his eyes pointedly moving in their direction.

- Wonder-fuckin'-ful! Well, at least he isn't excited! - she thinks with a touch of hysteria at the thought of being made to soap up a man down there.

Slowly, she stands, watching his frown turn into a smug smirk now, as she begins to soap her hands and wash his arms. Working her way to his shoulders and down his back, she runs her hands over the fine hair on his buttocks and down the back of his legs. - Unbelievable! He's so fucking tight! - Then, it's around to the front, up his legs, purposely avoiding his groin, until she comes to his chest, her hands tickling through his curly black hair. - Under different circumstances, I'd probably jump him myself! Too bad you're not a modern man, Max. -

At this point, with her breasts almost touching him as she cleans his chest and abdomen, it's all Maximus can do not to pull her up against him. He is using every ounce of willpower he has to remain in control. But it's not good enough. Diana can see now the firm set in his face, his jaw clenched tightly and even a trickle of perspiration running down the side of his forehead, as his eyes flit everywhere around them but at her. - Would you look at that? - she notes in amazement. - For once I'M the one in control here. - And with this sudden feeling of empowerment, Diana begins to enjoy what she is doing now, brushing against his body purposely with hers, as she rubs soap firmer in some areas and teasingly lighter in others. Her eyes catch his, and when she parts her lips, her tongue dancing out to lick them seductively, the Roman's face begins to noticeably crack, a low moan escaping him, as she glances down and sees it move, thickening. - Gotcha big guy! - she smiles to herself, stepping back from him. - And you can't do a damn thing about it for weeks thanks to your own archaic rituals. -

"Finish it," a throaty growl spills out, his manhood standing straight at attention. - 'Tis my private bath with my concubine. I can do what I will here. The guards will not watch if I wish to find pleasure. -

- Damn! Shoulda known he wouldn't let me get out of it. Well, here goes nothing, I think. - And she soaps up her hands again, stepping closer with obvious reluctance, her eyes only on his rim-rod staff.

Maximus, his patience at his limit, does not like how his concubine is hesitating after having dared to tease him, and his hand whips out, gripping tight to her wrist, pulling it towards him. A struggle begins, but it's one Diana, the weaker physically, won't win. The tug of war, staring angrily into each other's eyes, is over almost as soon as it began. Before she knows it, her hand is being firmly held against his member, and her eyes widen at actually touching one for the first time. Although Maximus may be smirking in triumph, his thoughts, as he releases her hand, are not happy. - If she pulls back, it will mean more discipline I have no desire for. -

Surprisingly, her hand doesn't retreat. It opens, and Diana begins to wash him, feeling the silken hardness respond even more beneath her hand. It's a 'duty' she soon finds not entirely to her distaste like she expected, as almost as though on it's own, her soapy hand travels slowly along the underside of him, feeling a pulsing beat she never knew was there and back over the firm, thick head, gently pushing the foreskin further down.

Almost shyly now, she looks up in his eyes and feels a tremor of delight at the blissful look on his face, a tremor she is loathe to enjoy. "You wash well," he groans through half-lidded eyes. "Now do my vessels of seed and the surrounding field."

- Balls! - she can't help but laugh inwardly. And as she works through that area, feeling them tighten within her hands and knowing from books what is close to happening, she suddenly has an idea. - I bet if I start squeezing, I could get him to promise me citizenship. Make him let me go! -

Feeling a hand grasp around his scrotum now, blue eyes open fully in surprise, wondering what she is doing. However, only a light pressure is applied at first, very enjoyable to Maximus, and he loses control again, a soft moan spilling from his lips. Within seconds, the moan has turned to a grunt of pain, the pressure increasing, but before Diana can actually incapacitate him, he reaches out, grasps her nipple between his fingers .... and squeezes.

Diana lets out a shocked howl, and the trees rustle again, but this time Maximus doesn't care what his guards are thinking. It's another battle of wills between the modern woman and the ancient man, their faces hard as ice, waiting to see who can endure the most pain as each squeezes harder and harder.

Feeling like her entire chest is on fire, she begins to pant little gasps of air while she struggles to deal with the horrendous agony. The eyes in front of her have turned wild from his own torment, the strong face trembling, sweat rolling off him, teeth baring in ferocity. And the moment Diana sees those teeth, the instinctual fear of being bitten claims her, and she releases him with a cry of fright.

Maximus, not about to let her go yet, pulls her by the nipple up against him tight, his other hand wrapping around her lower back, as she whimpers in terror and he growls in her ear, "If this is how you desire to play in my bed, My Concubine, you will find that I can play it even better. There will be no boredom between us."

"Please," she moans .. and with one savage twist of her nipple, he pushes her away from him.


CHAPTER 15

Diana immediately sinks into the water, her body in a kind of pain she's never felt before, a pain that is too goddamned close to NOT being pain anymore. And Maximus, as though sensing the confusion in her body, smirks at her, dousing himself once in the water before leaving the bath and her alone with nary a glance behind him.

Once he is out of sight, she slaps the water repeatedly and screams in fit, the guards quickly covering their mouths not to laugh out loud at their General's concubine. Maximus stops, hearing the scream, but recognizing it for what it is, grins again and continues back to the camp. - I think I am beginning to enjoy her defiance. -

His dining chamber is quickly put to order for the late night meal and soon-to-be arriving guests. And as soon as Diana steps into the tent, wishing for all the world she didn't have to, the two females hurry her into the Master's bedchamber to begin the lengthy process of dressing her and making her ready for the ritual. Surprisingly, Maximus allows her privacy this time, and Diana soon discovers why. She finds him nervously pacing in the living area of the tent, mumbling to himself, his hands rubbing his neck in thought of what he is about to do in front of his guests. - I am honoring her tonight, but I fear she will not see it that way. What shall I do if she denies me? -

- What's the big deal? It's kinda like going steady, right? So what. -

"Lady Diana!" he exclaims, seeing her now. "You .... you are lovely."

"Thanks," she laughs. "But I'm afraid it's just all that crap your slaves make me wear now."

"Nay," he answers, holding out his arm for her to take. "Your true beauty shines through. And," he whispers conspiratorially, "truth be told, I prefer your natural endowments over the strange jars of womanly creams that ladies feel they must wear."

Something about this man not particularly liking make-up tickles Diana just right, and she begins laughing, laughing even harder when Maximus joins in. In their merriment, they come across Quintus and Helena waiting in the 'foyer'. It's the first time Diana has met a woman who is more than a mere slave, and although she has seen many females look directly at Maximus, this one does not.

Following their guests into the dining area, she whispers her question to Maximus. "How come Helena won't really look at you like other women do?"

"Most masters," he whispers, "punish their concubines if they look directly at another free male."

"And does this include you?" her eyebrow arches at him. - God, don't tell me I can't even LOOK where I want to now! -

"Nay," he smiles at the look on her face. "I do not like it, but I fear 'tis not worth the trouble changing in you. There would be too much time spent punishing instead of pleasuring if I restrict you in that way. But, I WILL warn you, Diana, if you touch any male, free or not, you will suffer for it."

"What about women?" she can't help but tease.

It doesn't even faze him like she expected. "You have my permission to touch women in daily matters, but in intimate matters, only in my bedchamber."

"Never mind, Max," she sighs and rolls her eyes, confusing him now. "I don't swing that way."

"Swing?" he asks, and although she begins to laugh at him, it doesn't bother him at all, and contently his fingers brush affectionately over her hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The late night meal is actually more of a snack, Diana sees, since everyone has had dinner not long ago, but the men still dig in while the wine flows from the slaves running around the table serving all four of them. - Interesting, - Diana thinks, as she swallows more bread. - Helena doesn't even eat as much as Max's slaves. -

"Maximus," Quintus comments with a laugh. "Your concubine will grow large with fat if you allow her to keep eating like that."

"I do not think so, my friend," Maximus smiles good-naturedly. "Lady Diana will receive plenty of exercise in my bed."

- Gimme a break! - she sighs indignantly, and staring directly at Quintus, stuffs a large piece into her mouth. Both men immediately snort with laughter, annoying her even more until the twinkle in those blue eyes often directed at her is noticed, and, as usual lately, breaks her down to keep her promise to behave in front of others.

When the short meal is over, two of the camp slave girls are brought in to dance, and they do their job well. - Sheee-it! If I was a guy, that would sure turn ME on. - The women are well-trained in this art, writhing and dancing in a way to invoke responses from any male in the room, and no one but Diana sees the hint of anger on Helena's face when Quintus does not hesitate to reach up several times to touch the breasts or thighs near him. - Five years is a long time by their standards, but obviously Quintus enjoys other women too. -

When the women move to Maximus, however, his hands stay by his sides. Laughing lowly, allowing them to touch his chest, shoulders and arms, he glances over at Diana before she can turn away and is pleasantly surprised to see that she does not appear too happy with the scantily clad beautiful women around him. - Good. She has the look of a female who wants to protect her male from others. I will assure her soon that she has no reason to fear losing me to anyone but Maria. -

At the conclusion of the dance, Maximus generously pats the dancers on their behinds and indicates for them to leave. And then, with a clap of his hand, it's now time for the official bonding ceremony. Cicero re-enters with a small box that Maximus had hurried to have ready that day, and, reverently, Maximus, Quintus and Helena stand, followed only moments later by Diana, who is also staring at the box, but with only a sense of dread.

Opening it, Maximus shows them all two large gold bracelets, and Diana can see they are very similar, although with different markings, to the silver one he wears on his left wrist. - Hmmmm...... - and she looks at Quintus' wrist. - He has a bracelet. I wonder if Helena has one? ... Oh shit! No bracelet! A collar on her neck instead! Ohhhh NO! No fucking way I'm wearing a collar! - And she watches in mounting horror as Maximus moves the box to her with instructions. "Take out the smaller one, Lady Diana. Place it upon my wrist."

- I don't believe this crap! Fine, he can wear a stupid bracelet if he wants! - Looking it over in her hand, beautifully inscribed, she sees now, she can't help but ask him, "So, ummm... why is your other one silver? Isn't gold more valuable?" - Well, at least I know what that bracelet he never takes off means now. Kinda like a wedding ring, I guess. -

"Aye, 'tis," he smiles at her, "but I was bonded to Maria when I could not yet afford gold on my own. I have asked her many times if she wishes to change to gold, but she will not. Sentimental for our first bands like a woman would be, I suppose."

"Does a wife wear .... on the neck?"

"Nay," he replies a little sharply at the thought of his spouse in a neck bracelet. "A wife wears the matching bracelet on her left wrist like her husband. Only a concubine wears a neck bracelet." And to further explain, he adds, "A mistress wears a bracelet on her right wrist."

"So, I take it men don't wear them on their necks either?"

"Of course not," he chuckles at the idea. "One on our left wrist for our wife and one or two on our right wrist for our concubine and mistress."

Glancing at Quintus again, she notices he only has one on each wrist. - Goddamn men! Have their citizen wife and then their fucking slave concubine too! And even a mistress if they want! God, I HATE this time! -

"Put it on me," he tells her with a smile, not having the slightest clue yet at how insulted she is by all this.

"Hold your horses," she grunts, moving it closer to her face. "What does it say?"

"Try to read it, Diana," he gently encourages her now.

She stumbles at first, working out the words, but soon she finds their meaning. "Given on this 15 day of March of the 19 year of rule of our Great Lord Caesar Marcus Aurelius to bond together General Maximus Decimus Meridus, Master and Protector to His Concubine Lady Diana of the House of Meridus. May the Gods smile on your mating and be it long and fruitful." If it wasn't so chauvinistic sounding and pertaining to herself and not some relic in a museum instead, Diana would probably find herself smiling at the solemn intensity of the whole thing.

"House of Meridus?" Quintus interrupts now. "You have already given her your name like your wife?"

"Nay, Lady Diana may share the same name as I, but not the same house." Although, once again, they wonder to themselves if they could actually be blood-related. It's just one more reason why Diana finds it uncomfortable to want to sleep with this man. Whereas Maximus, on the other hand, is not the least bit bothered by the idea. To him, it is further proof that the Gods gave Diana to him, brought her back thousands of years so they could be together. What shared blood they may or may not have would be inconsequential.

"What does he mean?" she looks at Maximus. "Already given me your name? Does that mean you could .... could adopt me into your house?"

"Aye," he nods. "But it would mean giving you citizenship if I adopt you." And he purposely moves on, a hint of warning coming to his voice for having to make the request a third time. "Now put on the bracelet, Diana." - Just as I feared. She does not understand the importance of this. -

The flash in his eyes is unmistakable, and taking a deep breath, - It's only a piece of jewelry, doesn't mean shit in my world, - Diana slips it around his wrist, fastening the clasp. Feeling it on himself now, Maximus smiles again and touches her cheek, a brief brush of his fingertips, bringing a genuine smile from Diana before she can stop herself. "My turn to bond you," he says gently and lifts the larger bracelet out.

Almost instinctively, Diana steps back at knowing it will be fastened on her neck, and the eyes upon her now furrow in puzzlement at how one moment she can smile and the next moment pull away from him. - 'Tis a wonderful gift I wish to give her. It will show her value to all. - The modern woman, of course, does not see any gift in being made to wear a collar, and taking another step back, eyes fixed on the damnable thing, she is trying to decide what she can possibly do to get out of this revolting predicament.

"Diana?" his voice holds a touch of hurt in it now.

- Damn! - she glances up at him. - He actually looks hurt, not angry like usual. - And she looks up at the ceiling for a moment to gather her strength. - If someone up there is laughing at me, - she wills her legs to move, forcing herself to step close to him, - there's gonna be payback when I die! -

An obvious expression of relief crosses Maximus' face, and quickly, before Diana can embarrass him further in front of his guests, he slips it on her neck and fastens the clasp in back. His hands don't leave her neck, however, like she expected, staying stationed lightly on the curve of her shoulders, and she looks up at him questioningly at why he is continuing to touch her.

In answer, before she can open her mouth to ask yet another question, his lips touch hers once and retreat. - Quickest bonding kiss I ever saw, - Quintus and Helena both think. - 'Tis obvious the stranger does not understand our customs and the honor Maximus has placed on her, - Quintus realizes. - She will learn in time. Although why my friend felt the need to elevate her from slave to concubine is beyond me. She may be quite beautiful, but with all the trouble she has already caused him as a mere slave, I can just imagine the trouble she will cause him now. -

- I know why he elevated her, - Helena smiles discreetly at Maximus. - The General looks at her with much more than lust in his eyes. 'Tis the same look that my Quintus gives me at times and why we are still together all these years. As much as Quintus enjoys a male or female slave occasionally, I do not think he will ever weary of me. And I would be quite surprised if Maximus ever wearies of Diana. -

A hearty clap on the back from Quintus to Maximus in congratulations, and the men retire to the back of the dining room to sit and talk of things that men do, their eyes frequently glancing appreciatively at their women. Helena smiles knowingly, well aware of what they are speaking of and takes Diana's arm, leading her into another chamber for their own private women's talk. Being the only concubine up until now in the camp, Helena is looking forward to getting to know Diana. Not to mention, she has been instructed by Quintus, who, in turn, has been instructed by Maximus, to ensure that Diana understands the way of the Concubine.

Diana, having no issue with this woman, tries to act pleasant and interested, but it is all quite boring to her, all the little duties she has to face now, dressing and undressing him, massaging him, bathing him, soothing him, bedding him, reading to him, shaving him, playing games with him, attending social events, acting as hostess for any guests in their home, and the list goes on and on and on .....

"But what about when he takes me to his homeland and his wife?" she finally asks, although hoping beyond hope it never comes to that. "How will I know what to do then?"

"Do not worry," Helena assures her. "His wife will be sure to instruct you of which duties you will keep, which you will lose, and which you will share. You will answer to Maximus first, of course, and her second. But if he is a smart man when it comes to marriage, as I am sure he is, he will say little to contradict the way his wife wants to run their home with you in it."

- I hope she makes me give up ALL the duties! And once they're back together, hopefully he'll get over his I'm-gonna-bed-FutureGirl-obsession! -

"Now, about bedchamber matters," Helena brings up quite matter of factly, and Diana immediately flashes back to THE TALK with her mother.

"I know you are still pure, and Maximus is waiting until the full moon, but 'tis not too early to teach you the ways to keep him happy. My Quintus beds me often and only rarely takes another. Hopefully, Maximus will be the same for you. 'Tis well known that Cicero has been his lust-slave, and he may well continue to be, but 'tis YOUR duty as Concubine to keep Cicero in his place now. YOU are head of the General's slaves now, not Cicero."

- Great, - she thinks wearily, with a nod of her head to Helena. - Cicero's gonna poison my food. -

"Now," Helena continues, "as you are not a child, I am sure you are aware of how mating works, correct?"

"Uhhhhh, yeah sure. If you mean the actual dynamics of it, I know what you mean." - Christ! This is WORSE than that mother-daughter talk! -

"You must also be aware, Diana, that there are many other ways to please your man in bed. And when I say bed, I mean where ever he wants to, the baths, the dining chamber, the forest ...." And Helena's voice trails off, smiling a secret smile now that makes Diana laugh softly with her. "Maximus will surely want to experience all kinds of pleasures with you besides your womanhood, such as your mouth, your hands, your breasts, your dark passage ...."

"OK OK," Diana quickly interrupts. "I get the idea." - Just like any horndog I've ever heard of, he'll want it all over. -

"And if you listen to him well, not just his words, but his moans, his sighs and the way his body responds, you will soon learn just what works best for him and makes him happiest. Every man is different in this way. You will have to keep your eyes and ears open every time he beds you. And, most importantly," her voice lowers dramatically, "the biggest secret all wise women have that their man must never ever know is that you must ALWAYS, every single time whether it pleases you or not, ALWAYS make sure your man thinks you found release too."

- Oh-My-Fucking-God! She's talking about faking orgasms! Sounds like Roman men can be just as clueless in bed as modern men! If this weren't so serious to her, I'd be laughing my ass off right now! - "So, ummm," Diana tries to hold back a snicker, "does that mean you don't find release every time with Quintus?"

"Of course not," Helena answers easily. "I know of no woman who finds release every time. But Quintus tries very hard for me under the encouragement I give him, and I often find true release and rarely have to play false. I hope for your sake that Maximus truly knows well how to use that large sword of his for more than his own pleasure. I know Cicero is happy with it, but I have never met his wife to speak of these matters, and being only Concubine, his wife may not have deigned to speak with me anyways."

- Well, I'm not exactly worried about it, - Diana laughs to herself. - Not exactly planning on letting him use it on me to begin with. - "How many children do you have, Helena?" she deliberately changes the subject.

"Four children. Two with Quintus and two before he bought me from the slave trader." And, for just a moment, her eyes take on a faraway look.

"They're not here, are they? In a war camp?" - Romans can't be THAT stupid?! -

"Nay, they are with his wife and her children. Safe in the Capitol."

"Oh. Is that why they don't bring their wives, to look after everyone's children at home?"

"Not really, Diana. Battle camp can be dangerous. 'Tis not safe or respectful to request your wife's or your mistress' presence at one. That is what slaves and concubines are for."

"Here's a question for you. Is there any way to prevent pregnancy?" - Just in case for when the shots wear off. Better learn what I can from her. -

"Of course not," Helena gives her a strange look. "Only the Gods can decide that. Having your master's child, the more the better, brings you power in his household. I do not understand why anyone would not want to have as many children as they can. Believe me, Diana, Maximus has much wealth now. He is highly respected and loved by Caesar and the public. Your children will want for nothing, and they will all be Roman citizens entitled to their fair share of his estate just like his wife's children."

"The males you mean," Diana snorts. "Females get nothing, right?"

"Do not fear for any daughter you have. Maximus will find them wonderful prosperous men to marry long before they are actually ready to leave home. They will live long happy lives with Maximus as their father and with a proper husband chosen for them by him."

- Sheesh, - Diana thinks in disgust. - Women get the short end of the stick no matter what in this time period. -

"Tis time to leave, Lady Helena," Quintus steps into the room with a lustful gleam in his eyes. The men have talked about little else but their women, and Quintus knows that Maximus is anxious to empty his loins with his concubine in a way that doesn't take her purity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once they're gone, Diana begins pacing back and forth alone in the chamber, contemplating all the things expected of her now. - No problem ... I guess. I can do it all for now to keep from being disciplined again. -

An angry grunt, and Cicero approaches her with obvious fury in his voice. "Our Master is awaiting you in the bedchamber."

"Cicero," she calls out to his departing back.

"Lady Diana?" - NOT FAIR! She has been nothing but trouble! -

"I didn't want this ... this position with Maximus," she tries to explain. "I don't even want to be in this camp, as you well know."

"Aye," the boy responds icily. "But 'tis his will. He has chosen you for a great honor."

"Can a male be Concubine?"

"Slave or citizen only. Nothing more or less. We cannot bear children so are excluded from that role."

"I'm sorry then," she says with sincerity.

"So am I," he snaps and walks out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taking her time, she eventually gets to the bedchamber. - What could he possibly want NOW since I can't do the fucking bedding duty yet? -

"Do not keep me waiting like that again," he says firmly at her entrance, standing fully clothed, she is happy to see. "Answer me," he demands louder when she gives him no response.

"Yes, Max," she sighs with a shrug of her shoulders.

"About that ..."

About what?" she immediately interrupts him.

"Your continued mis-use of my name. Caesar will be here very soon. You must only call me Master in public from now on. I have been lax in enforcing this with all the other . issues we have had."

"I'll never call you Master," her thin patience with this aggravating man snaps, and in one swift movement, the collar is off her neck, falling to the floor.

The Roman General wants to scream at her, strangle her, beat her into the ground for yet another of many disrespects .. but he won't. He knows he needs her. He knows now that his heart will cease to beat without her by his side. In seconds, however, Diana is laying on her stomach over his knee, his other massive leg holding down her thrashing legs while one large hand grips her wrists together, effectively pinning her.

"Max!" she screeches. "Let me go!"

"Master!" he shouts back.

"NO!" she refuses him, shaking with fury at feeling the man lift her stola to expose her bare bottom. "Don't you dare!"

"Master!" he insists. - One last chance. Take it, Diana, and we will pleasure each other until the morn. -

"NO!"

SLAP! His open palm lands on her, leaving a red imprint on her perfect cream-colored ass.

"YOU BASTARD!"

"Master!"

"Never!

SLAP! Harder this time, and she almost cries out, furiously biting her lips to hold it in.

"MASTER!" he bellows in fury now at her stubbornness.

Diana just shakes her head.

SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! Her ass turns red at his handprints forming all over it now. It's horrible, stinging and burning, fire spreading throughout her, until .... - Nooooo! - she immediately tries to stop wiggling against his leg, realizing what's happening from the pressure of her groin against him.

Four more slaps and it's too late. A now familiar wetness has formed between her legs. And in response to this further betrayal of her body, Diana begins to cry tears of pain and humiliation; mixing with the soft moans she can no longer hold back. Maximus, who was about to stop the moment he saw the tears, grins at the hint of pleasure his well a-tuned ears can hear in her tone, the almost rhythmic thrusting against his leg, and realizes now that his concubine is no longer trying to get away.

Another slap on her ass, without anger this time, and she cries loudly, "Oh God!" invoking her Master's own desperate arousal too. SLAP! and the tension building in her is reaching towards its zenith, feeling the distinct shape of his member pressing firmly from under his tunic against her hip. Another moan escapes her lips, and Maximus releases her wrists, not surprised at all that she remains still, waiting. His other hand comes down, but not in a slap, in a tender caress of his cooler skin against her inflamed behind.

Sighing with pleasure, Diana deliberately pushes herself against his leg and suddenly gasps loudly when a large finger enters her virgin 'dark' muscle. Maximus, of course, wants very badly to stroke himself while he gently moves his index finger within her heated tightness. It is only his desire to bring Diana pleasure first that stops him. And, to help bring that about, his other hand begins to firmly massage her buttocks in rhythm to her own movements.

- Oh God! I can't stop! Gotta cum! Just once! Doesn't change anything! - Feminine moans are reaching fever pitch, and just when Diana is sure she's about to go over the edge, his finger, plunging within her bottom and his hand caressing her skin, stops, holding tight to her now so that she can't move another inch.

"Master," he says with a quiet firmness. - Say it, and I will bring you release many times tonight.

"Noooo, please, Max," she cries, trying to push on his leg again. Diana has found herself turned into a woman who no longer cares about anything but the burning need to orgasm upon a very specific man.

Unfortunately, the specific man is not about to let her go that easily, and seeing the frustration in her face, as she stares up at him, his eyes bore into hers. "Master," his lips barely move.

"Oh God, OK! .... Master," she surrenders now, willing to say anything he wants at this point.

It's not enough.

"I said it!" she pleads desperately. "I said Master! Please Max! Please Maximus! Please Master!" - Dear God, I think I'm gonna die if he doesn't let me cum! -

Releasing her once more, Maximus plunges a second finger past her wonderfully tight rim muscle, and, within seconds, he has made his concubine cry out loudly in joy. Feeling her body tensing in fulfillment, her juices running down his thigh, Maximus is a very pleased man. Diana, however, is more confused now than ever. The minute his two fingers withdraw, she jumps up, wobbling slightly, he happily notices, and runs from the room.

Quickly following, slightly worried she may leave his tent, he finds her at his desk, her head in her hands, sobbing. "Diana?" he immediately approaches her. "I pleased you, did I not? Why do you cry?"

Louder tears fall, and The Great General of Rome has no idea what to do about it. His hand reaches out, wanting very much to bring her happiness again, and gently touches the hair on the back of her head. It's simply too much for Diana, what she let happen, and she immediately shrinks away from his hand, hurting and angering him deeply. A turn of his back to her, and he leaves her alone. - I pleased her and she cries?! By the Gods, this woman vexes me! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten minutes later, Diana has stopped crying and begins to berate herself. - Be practical. Be logical. So what if he made you cum? So what if you want him now? My body doesn't control me. I'll leave as soon as I can before he takes me. Good God, if I let him take me, I may never wanna go! Once a colonel and now a concubine?! I haven't worked this hard to be a man's playmate at his beck and call for the rest of my life! And spit out Roman babies for him?! They don't even have Pampers yet! I just wish ... wish those bracelets didn't mean so much to him. He only spanked me 'cuz I hurt him. Threw something to the ground he values and refused to call him a simple word in public, not in private ..... I.. I was wrong. - And suddenly, feeling a bit badly about her behavior, she walks towards his bedchamber, planning to retrieve the neck bracelet. - I won't apologize. Just let'm watch me put it back on. That'll be enough. He'll know I'm sorry. -

For some reason, the concubine bracelet is on the floor just outside his chamber, and she picks it up, wondering for a moment, - Hmmmm, how'd it get out here? - When Diana walks in the room, though, she knows and freezes in shock. Maximus, a man she truly cares about now and knows cares about her, is naked, entwined within Cicero's embrace.

 

CHAPTER 16

Unnoticed by either man, Diana watches in stunned silence as Cicero's legs wrap around Maximus' waist, and his hands run firmly up and down his master's back. The boy is clearly keening with pleasure, his much smaller member coming into blissful contact with the tight abdomen above him. And Maximus, supporting himself on his elbows with hands on the pillow on each side of the boy's face, is grunting almost angrily, his face upturned, his eyes closed, as he slams into the hungry orifice tilted upwards for him.

Diana is swirling with conflicting emotions at seeing this. Something she was aware of, but in harsh reality now making her feel quite ill. It's not an illness of disgust to her stomach, she realizes, more of an illness in her chest, constricting and pressing it in a way she's never felt before, and she doesn't like it one bit. She wants to turn and leave, but, somehow, her feet have gone and taken on a life of their own and refuse to move, entranced by those perfect masculine buttocks thrusting and clenching, not able to turn herself away from the stunning yet appalling sight.

Over his master's shoulder, Cicero spots Diana and immediately looks away from her, being careful to keep his face neutral if Maximus should happen to open his eyes. It is unlikely Maximus will. The Spaniard is trying to think and feel nothing but the pressure in his loins needing desperately to release from the torment the woman puts him in. His thoughts to pleasure himself with Diana after she found fruition on his leg are not to be tonight, he knows. Her distraught crying, something he has never seen her do, changed everything, and in his anger and deep despair, he grabbed an eager Cicero to soothe himself.

Unfortunately, it's not nearly as satisfying as it used to be, he realizes with further frustration. The boy is just as warm, willing and soft under him, his familiar cries of delight filling his ears as usual, but every sense in his body is screaming for something else, something Diana. And this is keeping him from completion, keeping him from spilling his seed so he can escape to blessed sleep and forget much of this painful night. "On your knees," his eyes suddenly open.

Not a moment later, Maximus is pushing the back of Cicero's head down and lifting the boy's backside high to meet his fierce thrusts. The boy is soon wailing in rapture again, stroking himself fervently now, his own seed falling onto the bed, as Maximus begins to turn frantic, showing more emotion during an act of sex than ever before. - By the Gods! I will never make it to the full moon! -

Although Diana is still watching, her feet have finally begun to move backwards, slowly towards the doorway. And just when Maximus is about ready to give up and reject Cicero for good, on the tantalizing edge of release, but unable, for the first time ever, to plunge over, Diana bumps into a stool, tripping loudly. His head turns in surprise at seeing her there, the paleness in her face, those beautiful green eyes wide and staring at him. "Diana!" he cries, withdrawing immediately from the boy, and, in amazement, suddenly feeling himself gush in orgasm, spilling it onto the bed.

He jumps to the floor, and before he can even think to stop his slave, Cicero has quickly moved to stand closely behind him, one small hand wrapping possessively around his master's cum-dripping manhood, shocking Diana even more. "I ... I ....," she stammers at watching Cicero expertly pump it, then looks up at Maximus, who appears now to be frozen in shock, himself. No slave, no anyone, would ever dare enter his bedchamber without being invited or ordered to, although that has little to do with his feelings at the moment.

The paleness is draining from her face to be replaced by incensed red; fire he can see now entering her eyes. And just as he is about to push the boy away from him, down falls the neck bracelet again to the floor, and Maximus' most valued possession storms from the room. For a moment, he wants to call out to her, follow her in contrition, but the feel of Cicero's kisses on his back, the boy's tongue moving in areas he knows his master enjoys, brings back the pride in the Roman, reminding him, although his heart no longer believes it to be true, that HE is the master and she only a slave.

- That woman has rejected me over and over. Found pleasure then scorned me with her tears and cold distance. I have every right to satisfy my lust-need with whomever I desire. If she wishes it to be this way between us, so be it. - And thinking now of the anger on her face, the fact that she had come back to retrieve the bracelet, brings Maximus a sort of empty solace, making it easier for him to turn once more to Cicero. "Instruct the slaves to watch Lady Diana closely tonight. Tell them to inform me immediately if she does anything stranger than usual .... Then, come back to my bed .... until the morn."

Cicero's eyes widen at the order. The thought of being allowed, for the first time, to stay with his master after they have both found release, thoroughly delights his love-struck heart. - He is MINE again! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few short hours later, Maximus disentangles himself from Cicero's body sprawled on top of him and climbs out of bed, gazing down affectionately at the boy while calling out to a slave to enter the chamber. "Where did Lady Diana sleep?" he asks the man.

"On the floor of your study, My Lord. She cried much of the night."

A moan of sorrow rushes through him at the thought of her in tears again. But, quickly, he rebukes himself. - Nay, tis good. Perhaps she will be easier to deal with today. - "Bring her here."

Scant minutes later, Diana walks in with her head held high, staring Maximus straight in the eye, as he purposely stands bare in front of her. Holding out the bracelet to her, she angrily snatches it from his hand, and, fighting with a small part of herself that is tempted to give in even further and kick a grinning Cicero out of the bed, puts it back on.

"Clean and dress me now," he orders, having noticed that although she is upset, she did not hesitate to band herself again. "Tis time to begin your official duties as Concubine."

If Maximus once thought this woman could no longer surprise him, he was wrong. "Why don't you make Cicero dress you?" she huffs. "He can be your private concubine, and I'll be your public one."

Cicero may be gasping at her boldness in speaking of such an idea, but Maximus, tired of continually sparring with her, agrees with almost an evil grin. "Very well ... SLAVE. Change my bed linens. They are covered with our pleasure fluids, and you will report to Cicero for all household duties from now on."

- EWWWWW - she groans to herself, looking down at the bed. - FUCK! I walked right into that one! - And Cicero now, honored to be allowed to dress Maximus, who has always done it for himself in the past, eagerly slides out of bed while Diana grits her teeth, pulls off the bedding, trying hard not to look closely at the obvious stains, and heads for the doorway.

"Slave," he calls to her back. "Do not be seen taking wash to the river. A concubine would not do that. Give it to another slave."

"Does that mean I'm still allowed outside? I won't be speared in half?"

"Of course. All my slaves are allowed free reign in the camp. Be wise and do not try to leave the perimeter unless you wish to feel chains upon you again."

"I understand," she nods and quickly finds another slave, instructing the woman to put clean linen on the bed so that she can hurry to the lake for a much-anticipated bath. It was something Diana had contemplated doing right after their 'encounter' that night in a need to try to wash her revulsion at herself away, but not being sure how well lighted the area would be at full darkness, and not wanting anyone outside the tent to see her in tears, she had decided to wait until morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later she finally feels clean again. - Well, as clean as I'll ever feel around that jerk. - And walking around the camp, Diana actually begins to enjoy how everyone nods and smiles at her now. Whenever she personally addresses someone to find out more about what they're doing, she is always called Lady Diana, and the person, male or female, whether soldier or slave, bows to her. The feminist in her may not be too keen on the bowing part, but the fact that everyone is gracious and immediately answers all her questions, she finds rather to her liking. - Gee, a person could get used to this. Too bad it means I'm fucking leashed to The Big Ass, though. -

Spending time in the stables, brushing the horses and riding the one she knows is his around the area under the watchful eye of the groom, she does notice a few strange looks thrown her way. - He only said I couldn't do menial labor outside the tent. I may not know shit about horses, but I can at least brush them if I want! And I DO need to get used to them! Gotta practice riding for when I escape this insane asylum! -

Diana doesn't know that the groom quickly sent a slave to inform The General that his concubine was riding his horse. After a sudden bolt of fear that she would gallop out of the camp from him, Maximus calmed enough to think clearly about it. - If it keeps My Lady busy, and I am always kept informed of her whereabouts when she is on a horse, then I have no good reason to refuse her wishes. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the self-riding lesson, Diana decides to check out the physicians' tent, soon convincing the two men that she can be of help in tending to the wounded soldiers from the last battle. At first, of course, all the soldiers on the pallets try to stand and bow to her, but Diana is quick to shush them right down. Using her most authoritative voice from years in the service, she is finally able to make them all lie still while she proceeds to clean their bodies and check their wounds, totally forgetting about the warning from Maximus on not touching any other man.

Like a gathering hurricane-like storm, he sweeps into the physician's tent, having been informed once again at what His Lady is doing. Every man in the tent immediately bows, if able, and those that truly cannot swiftly bare their necks to their general, realizing now that they were indeed foolish for letting his concubine convince them to let her touch them in even a healing way.

Diana, looking up in confusion from washing an ugly wound high on a man's thigh, is wondering what she could have possibly done wrong now. Being in military and medical mode, she has not even thought twice about the occasional necessity of seeing any of the men's private parts under this type of circumstance. Her hands are only on a leg, but the wounded man's loincloth is completely open to her sight, and Maximus, trembling in fury, steps up to the pallet, seeing only an exposed groin near his female.

The very young soldier, terrified at this point and severely weakened from intense pain of battle wounds, can no longer control himself and finds to his further horror that his bladder has just released all over himself and his general's concubine's hands. "Shit," Diana grunts softly, grabbing a nearby towel and water to quickly clean the accident while being sure to gently smile down to show him that she isn't truly upset.

Ignoring Maximus, her hand moves the towel directly over the boy's groin, a boy who is staring wide-eyed at Maximus, certain he is about to die. Any other bonded man, and the boy would be right, but Maximus surprises everyone in the tent by simply smiling compassionately with a nod of understanding, the sight of fear-induced urine spilling from the youth exactly what was needed to break through his irrational anger regarding his woman.

Another look, this time sorrowfully at all his wounded men, and Maximus remembers what Diana once said about being around her own army men in her time. Placing his hand lightly on her head for a moment, he then silently walks out, the storm blown over. The man does not realize that if it were at all possible, his men now love him even more than before, grateful to the Gods they have been allowed to serve under the most merciful General Maximus Decimus Meridus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Midday comes and Diana begins to feel hunger pains from skipping breakfast. When she enters the dining area of Maximus' tent, however, she finds Cicero sitting in 'her' seat across from their master. Maximus may feel thankful that his concubine cares about his men and wants to help the wounded, but he has not forgotten what transpired between them the night before. "Slave," he says, barely glancing up at her. "Pour us more wine, then you may go to the cooking chamber for your meal."

- Fine by me! - she quickly fills their goblets, ignoring Cicero's smug face, and stalks out to find her own food.

"Diana!" he calls loudly only a minute later.

"What?" she snaps, back at his side. - That kid better wipe that grin off his face or I'm gonna deck'm! -

"Bring more bread," he tells her quite pleasantly.

"&!%!&!%" she mutters and places more bread in front of him.

"I believe Cicero would like more too," Maximus' eyes glint at hers.

"&!%!&!%" she mutters again under her breath before retreating back to the 'kitchen'.

3, 2, 1 ..... "Diana!" the voice rings out a second time.

- Cocksucker! - Diana throws her plate at the wall, as the cook and the other slaves scurry away from her fury.

"What the &!%&! ....," she just manages to hold it in, "do you want NOW?"

"More wine .... for both of us," he smiles wickedly up at her.

- Wine?! I'll give you more wine! - she rages, with all she can do not to fling the pitcher in his face. But then, just before Maximus can find himself drowned in it, Diana has an idea. - There IS something I can fling at him! -

Slowly pouring the wine this time, she very deliberately and very closely leans over Maximus, hoping to give the man a good scent of her hair and body up close. - BINGO! - she crows to herself when she hears a sudden hiss of air, sees Roman fingers holding the goblet turning white followed by the subtle shifting of a body on a pillow. Turning languidly, with hooded eyes, she gazes directly into his and smiles in a way that brings a slight lifting to his tunic and a stricken look upon his face. Before Diana can stop it, though, the smile on her face turns into a triumphant grin, and Maximus, suddenly realizing that it was all just a game to her and that she is laughing at him now, slams the goblet down, jumps to his feet in a way that makes her back up a step in fear, and grabs Cicero by the arm, pulling him to his bedchamber.

Within minutes, the obvious sounds of pleasure are heard coming from the boy, and Diana shakes her head wearily, feeling strangely as though her plan has backfired. - Well, what did I expect? Huh? I can't let myself be with him. Cicero wants him. I should be happy. .. So, how come I'm not? -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Into the study she escapes until Cicero finds her a half hour later. With a very satisfied smile on his face, he informs her of what needs to be done around the household for the rest of the afternoon. "Our Master," he continues, "has camp matters to attend to now for Great Caesar's arrival this evening. We must make sure all of his possessions are in perfect order. And now that you are only a slave again within his hearth, you will do what I say."

Setting down the scroll, Diana sighs in agreement. "By the way, Cicero," she calls to his back, "you're welcome."

"Excuse me?" he turns.

A slight tick starts on Diana's cheek. "I hope you and Maximus are very happy together."

"Of course we will be," Cicero sniffs. "He has been mine for years. I know how to make him happy."

"Oh yeah?" an unheard of tone of jealously creeps into her voice. "Then why did he want me?"

Clenching his hands, Cicero steps in front of her again. "You were a new toy, unique from the other women, but nothing more. Obviously, he has tired of you already."

"You little pissant," she hisses at him.

A hand flies, slapping Diana across the face, very foolish of Cicero. The slap hardly hurt at all, as the boy isn't nearly as strong as most men Diana has fought, and she immediately shoves him to the floor, lifting her arm to belt him one with her full fist when ...... "DIANA!" Maximus roars.

The arm is stopped, held back in a steel-like grip, and Diana finds herself abruptly flying across the room, knocking the desk right over. It doesn't stop her. Maximus, knowing she is still conscious, has foolishly turned his back on her and is leaning over to help Cicero up when he suddenly feels her on his back, her arm around his throat, choking him. "Die! Die, you fucking bastard!" she's shrieking in his ear, applying as much pressure as she can to his windpipe.

Maximus is trying to pull her off, but her legs are locked tightly around him, and Cicero is no help at all, whimpering and crawling around on the floor to get out of the way, as the large man stumbles throughout the room trying to keep himself from passing out. The General has never had anything quite like this happen to him before in either wrestling or true fighting, and he is dangerously close to losing now, not having realized just how strong his woman really is when she is truly enraged.

In a last desperate attempt to dislodge her, he throws himself onto his back, crushing her into the floor beneath him. "Nooooo," she cries at losing her grip on his body and finding herself pinned beneath his great weight, the wind and her strength knocked right out of her.

Swift and smooth as a panther, he's turned himself over, gripping her hands high above her head, his heavy legs and chest immobilizing her completely. "I should snap your neck right now," he snarls in her face.

"You won't!" she spits right back at him. "You won't .... anymore ....., " her voice lowers in sudden admission, "anymore than I could've killed YOU."

Before the defeated woman has a chance to even finish the confession, that she had actually been hoping to only black him out and run like hell while he lay unconscious, she finds her mouth being assaulted, her lips forced open, and a tongue not of her own diving down her throat. There is no thought of fighting him anymore. The delirious mind and body swirl of sensations are over-whelming her, and she finds her hips instinctively pushing up against him, grinding into his that are pushing down just as urgently onto hers. Mouths moving hungrily in unison, tongues dueling, neither retreating, a combined moan comes forth between them when his other hand cups firmly her breast over the stola.

Cicero, forgotten by the two on their way to paradise now, hasn't moved, watching it all with fury while stricken with the knowledge that he has truly lost if the woman can attack his master in such a way and still live. - Maximus will never touch me again now that the bitch has surrendered! I know I should be happy he will continue to protect me and provide for me like all his slaves, but I am NOT! I was special to him! Better than them! There will come a day when I will find a way to be rid of Diana for good! -

Paradise is not to be found after all when a male slave enters with news of Caesar's approach only two hours away. Everyone quickly stands, and Diana, flustered from their behavior, tries to leave the room, but Maximus, quick to gently squeeze her hand, kisses her cheek. "I must finish the preparations for Caesar. May we forget the events leading up to our embrace on the floor?"

"Yes, Max," she flushes with embarrassment.

"Thank you, Diana," he smiles full of gratitude and departs, deliberately pulling Cicero with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In one hour he is back, and he calls for her to come to his bedchamber. "I have purchased this new stola from Quintus. You will wear this after we bathe, and I will soon present you to Caesar."

Taking the gown from his outstretched hand, she can see how very elegant it is. - No biggie. Just kinda annoying to have a guy buying stuff for me I could normally afford on my own. Not to mention, telling me how I have to dress too. - "Thanks, Max. It's very nice."

"Aye, it will be beautiful on you. But you must remember, Diana, only address me as Master in public from now on, especially around Caesar ..... unless," and his mouth twitches in amusement, "you wish a repeat of the spanking? I would be pleased to oblige."

The devilish grin forming on his face reminds her so very much of her older brothers that, without thinking, she slaps him on the arm. "I bet you would!" she laughs loudly.

Maximus freezes. For just a fraction of a moment, blue eyes narrow that she would strike him again, but quickly realizing that he is only being teased back, his voice lowers and fills with lust. "Aye, I would," his face moves closer to hers. "Tonight, after the celebration, we will both find release together."

A shiver of longing runs through Diana at the thought of it, but she holds it back, lifting her chin to ask, "Isn't the boy enough for you?"

Once again anger almost comes back to his eyes that she would question something she has no right to. However, the fact that she is also acting possessive of him pleases Maximus so greatly that his hand touches her face, relieved when she doesn't pull away for once. "The boy is only a substitute, Diana," he murmurs warmly, gently pressing his forehead to hers. "At first, a substitute for my wife, and now, a substitute for you. Share pleasures with me willingly, and I will have no more need of the boy's flesh."

A large calloused hand caresses her cheek, his thumb running softly over her lips, and, for just a second, it makes Diana almost forget her plan to leave the camp that night when everyone is busy partying, about to tell Maximus what she has tried so hard to keep buried in her heart and what he so badly needs to hear for his own. Her mouth opens to say it, to say 'Yes, I want you now' .. when Cicero bursts into the room.



CHAPTER 17

"Caesar has arrived early! He is almost here!"

Maximus drops his hand from Diana's face, standing straight again. "We must hurry. No time to bathe. Use the water basin, dress, and be ready when I come back."

While Maximus and his men are greeting Caesar, Diana and the two females hurry to get her hair, new stola and make-up perfect. Soon she enters the 'foyer' to wait for Maximus and is quite surprised to see him already waiting for her. His arm goes out for her to take, and she can tell that he is terribly nervous. "Remember," he whispers. "Do not call him Marcus like you have. He is Caesar or My Lord. And I am ...."

"Master," she whispers back. - Don't worry, Max. Don't think I'll ever forget THAT! -

In response, his fingers on her hand gently stroke her wrist, and, for a moment, Diana begins to really regret her plan to leave that night. - I wish I didn't have to. I really like you, Max. But I can't deal with this slave crap. No matter how much I'm starting to want you, I feel like I'm being forced because I'm a slave. It's not gonna be fully of my own free will when you take me. I'll know that I don't have any choice, that you're gonna do it to me no matter what. And not having a choice, not having free will, is something I just won't stand for. And, apparently, it's something you just can't understand. We're worlds apart, Max. So, obviously, there's no hope of coming to terms with this, and I really gotta get outta here before my heart breaks any more. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking past the Praetorian guards, they enter the grand imperial tent, newly erected earlier that day. Diana would never admit it to anyone, but she is very much looking forward to meeting the man considered by the history books as being one of the greatest Caesars of Rome. Up until now, everything has been almost surreal to her, but meeting Caesar, a man she knows truly exists from history, will help give her further grounding. Unfortunately, it is going to be a grounding Diana will want to escape from even more soon.

"Maximus," Caesar smiles at his friend and stands, his son and daughter remaining seated beside him. Although they warmly greeted each other only a half-hour earlier, Maximus immediately bows low on one knee, and Caesar touches the back of his head with obvious affection. "And who is this that does not bow?" he asks, as he sits back down.

Diana has been too busy staring to even consider following Maximus' example, and Maximus, not used to presenting anyone to Caesar for years since the time his wife met him, completely forgot to instruct her of this expected greeting. - I must NEVER forget she is a stranger to our ways in all manners of etiquette! -

He stands quickly, placing his arm around her waist. "My apologies, Caesar. Lady Diana is a stranger to the Roman way. I only captured her days ago in the forest. Any punishment due is mine for this transgression, not hers."

"No punishment," Caesar waves his hand benevolently. - I could never punish you, my friend. - "She is very beautiful .... but only days ago? And she wears your bracelet of Concubine? You surprise me, Maximus. You have never been one for impulsive action."

"Aye My Lord," he agrees. "Twas an impulsive decision to gift the stranger with status, but I have not regretted my haste." And those eyes suddenly turn to Diana, looking at her in a way that she can tell the man is silently pleading with her not to make him regret his words in front of Caesar.

The modern woman in Diana may be very tempted to take him down a few notches by doing something horrible by their standards, but she can easily admit to herself now that she genuinely cares for Maximus, and, as aggravating as the situation between them is, she has no true desire to humiliate him purposely in front of his superior. "May I speak?" she asks quietly, her face moving to Caesar.

Maximus' heart begins to race, terrified that she will say something to bring a Praetorian's sword down upon her. - And if that happens, what shall I do? Stand and watch her die or commit treason? - With only one more look at her, he knows. - I will do anything I must to protect her .... anything. -

"Speak Lady Diana," Caesar commands, quite interested in a slave woman that would dare address him, no matter how politely.

"It is a great honor to meet you, My Lord," she starts with a bow of her head. "Your greatness is known in the far away lands of my people. I beg your forgiveness if my ignorance of Roman ways offend you in any way. I am learning this new way of life as fast as I can for my m ...m ... master," she can't help but stumble on the last word.

Out of the corner of her eye, with her head still lowered, she can see that Maximus is struggling to keep from showing a smile of pride at her almost perfect little speech. Turning her head just enough, practically risking a beheading, she winks at him, causing the Great General of Rome to suddenly suffer a coughing fit.

Caesar, being the wise man that he is, has caught on quickly to the interplay between the two, and, sensing much more than a simple master and concubine relationship, he begins to laugh, laughing heartily followed seconds later by Maximus and Diana joining in. Only the guards and his children remain silent.

- By the Gods, - Caesar thinks in merriment. - He has chosen a feisty strong one to bond mate with. Much more to this one than his gentle wife. I have a feeling my friend will have his hands full now, and I do believe he will enjoy every minute of it. 'Tis a shame I am too old to partake any longer. -

"Lady Diana," he grants her a smile. "I am pleased. Maximus has chosen well. You will not be a stranger for long. Allow me to introduce you to my children, Commodus and Lucilla."

Commodus turns back to Diana, a bored look on his face, as he vaguely thinks in the back of his ever-scheming mind, - No surprise she is such a lovely one and Father is taken with her. Maximus always does better than me. Does better than Caesar's own son! -

- You had better disappear later, you little whore, - the other child of Caesar is thinking, - for I have come to re-ignite the flame that once burned brightly between Maximus and I now that I am a widow. -

Seeing Commodus gazing at her is giving Diana a chill. - The history books were right! His father was a fair man, but his son was a psychopath! Those have gotta be the coldest, deadest eyes I've ever seen! We've gotta protect Marcus tomorrow night! .... No, wait a minute! I can't! I won't be here! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soon they are being motioned to sit at a long table for a celebratory dinner. Maximus takes his place at Caesar's left hand and leads Diana to sit beside him, while Commodus sits at Caesar's right with Lucilla beside him. It isn't long, across the table, before Diana notices that Lucilla is looking at Maximus in a very specific way. Maximus has also noticed, and after a few polite smiles at his old lover, he purposely keeps his attention on the men around him, only showing the faintest attention to Diana by laying his left hand over her right arm to subtly pet her silky skin.

"Why are you eating so little?" Maximus finally notices with a whisper by her ear. "Tis not like you."

"Ummm, I'm not really hungry, I guess," she tries to smile, looking down at her plate. - I SHOULD eat. Who knows when I'll get to again after tonight. - Her stomach is not about to let her, though, not with what she is planning to attempt tonight, stealing the man's horse and leaving him forever. - God, but if I eat now I'll puke all over him! -

The hand on her arm tightens, sensing something is bothering her. "Are you ill?" he anxiously inquires. "Perhaps we should retire to bed early."

"We? Shouldn't you stay here with Caesar?"

"I do believe he will understand if I wish to hold you in my arms while you rest."

"Just rest?" she can't help but ask. "You mean we wouldn't ...? Wouldn't ...?"

"Nay," he smiles at her modest inability to complete the sentence. "I would not expect .... if you are unwell."

"I am," she says quickly and honestly with the way her gut is clenching in anxiety. "But ... but I don't want to leave .... Please, let me stay ... Master." - God, I HATE that word, but if it works .... And I better file that little piece of illness info away for future reference in case tonight is a bust. Guy won't molest me if I play the 'not-tonight-dear-I-have-a-headache-routine'. -

It warms his heart greatly to hear her say 'please' and call him 'Master,' and there is little he won't give her now. "We will stay as long as you wish, My Lady."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours go by and the tent is full of people coming and going, more wine flowing and good food passing. Maximus finds, to his discomfort, that he has little time to spend with Diana, as the men often pull him away, and the women pull her into other directions. - What DO women talk about? Kisses? Swords? - he finds himself wondering for the first time with slight worry that Diana may be making him look bad.

He often finds himself trying to catch her eyes across the room, wanting to connect with her even when they are apart, but now that Diana is out of his strong magnetic presence, she is finding it easier to keep her courage up and nausea at bay, determined to break the man's now seductive hold on her that she has foolishly let herself fall into.

Not long and she finds herself cornered by Lucilla, alone for a few minutes as the other women from Caesar's entourage part to give the ex-lover of Maximus privacy to speak with his current lover. "You are a very fortunate slave," Lucilla comments while stroking the bracelet on Diana's neck. "I am sure Maximus has spoken of me to you?"

For a moment, the daughter of Caesar touching her takes Diana aback, but her nerve swiftly comes forward. "No, he hasn't."

"Really?" Lucilla says with a narrowing of her eyes. "Well, I am sure he has been much too busy bedding his latest prize to recall his past. As I remember, he was quite insatiable."

- Bedding his LATEST PRIZE? - "We haven't ....," she starts to retort before closing her mouth abruptly.

"Why not?" Lucilla demands, full of interest. "Tell me, Slave."

- What do I REALLY care what she thinks? Besides, the whole fucking camp knows already. - "Technically," she shrugs. "Maximus and I aren't completely bonded. My title is Concubine-in-Waiting. He's waiting for the full moon to take my .. my virginity."

At this delicious news, a wicked idea comes to Lucilla's mind. "Interesting. Well, I am quite surprised that Maximus has the willpower to wait. He is more male than any man I have ever had. We would spend entire days and nights with our lovemaking."

"You .... you were lovers?" - LOVEMAKING? They call it that too? All he's ever called it is mating and bedding with me! -

"Aye, we grew up together. When his parents died, my father took Maximus in. His father was a great warrior for the empire and died in battle. His mother took ill only the next year and left Maximus alone as a young boy. When he and I came of maturity, we naturally turned to each other and spent years practicing our lovemaking skills together. If he had not entered the army like his father, I do believe I would have consented to marry him when he asked me."

"Marry? He asked and you said no?" - Would I have been able to resist him if I had been born in this time and met him first? ..... I don't know. -

"He is a very proud man, as I am sure you know. He asked once and never again. Left the palace entirely to marry a peasant girl from his homeland when I married a man of greater wealth, a Senator who would stay home safe in our hearth with me and any children we would have, not get himself slain in a far away land."

Diana may know the answer from Maximus, but she suddenly feels the need to hear it from another source. "Did Maximus have any concubines or mistresses?"

"Nay," she laughs. "The man is not one to bond easily. But now that I am widowed, and his wife is many weeks away, I shall see tonight how well he remembers the bond we once shared."

"I see," Diana murmurs. - Not one to bond easily? Lucilla, his wife, me? He's middle-aged by Roman standards, sexy as hell at times and only made three bonds? Man may like his sex, but he sure keeps his heart closed ..... Kinda like me. -

"You better see, Slave. I do not want any interruptions this night. When the celebration is over, I shall go to his bedchamber and had better not find you in his arms. - If I have my way, you shall be too busy losing your purity to Commodus. A gift my brother will happily receive from his beloved sister if it means taking something of value from Maximus. -

"Don't worry," Diana assures the woman with a hint of sadness. "I won't be there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Near the evening's end, Maximus, quite relaxed from all the wine and knowing he has one more day to prepare himself to keep Caesar from death, is looking earnestly for Diana, sincerely hoping she is feeling better, not just for himself and what he wants to do with her until morning, but for her own well being. As he makes his way through the large tent, Lucilla finally captures him, and not wishing to be impolite, he converses with her, although his eyes continue to search for Diana.

"Maximus," she pouts. "Can you not give me your full attention?"

"My apologies, My Lady," his head bows ever so slightly. There is simply too much past history between them, pain that she once caused him, that even though he hopes to always remain friends, he will never be entirely comfortable in her presence again.

"If you are looking for your slave, she is behind you talking to Lady Helena."

His head whips around, relief washing through him to see her, and he reluctantly turns back to Lucilla's ice-cold glare. "My thanks. She has not been feeling well."

Lucilla's eyes struggle to lose their sharpness, and she begins to speak now of past years with the man she wants to warm her bed again. "Aye," he nods his head at the memories. "I remember well our years together. Years best not to be repeated, as you must understand."

"Maximus, My Dear," she purrs. "As much as I adored my husband, I often wondered what it would have been like if I had accepted your offer of marriage."

- 'Twas many months before I came to terms with it, but now I thank Jupiter you did not. - "It would have been a tedious life for you, Lucilla, as you well know," he tries to answer her diplomatically. - She is still just as beautiful as ever. We had our time. She broke my heart, and now I have much happiness with Diana .... and Maria. -

"True," she agrees. "But now that I am widowed," and her hand reaches out to stroke his arm, "perhaps we would do well to enjoy our remaining years?"

"I am flattered that you still think of me that way," his head bows again, carefully keeping his arm steady so as not to embarrass or insult her. "But I must respectfully decline. My wife and my concubine are enough for a man of my modest needs."

"A virgin concubine?" her eye lifts. "How can one so uneducated truly satisfy a man of your appetites? Modest needs, indeed!"

"Do not fear for me," he laughs, tension slipping away. "Lady Diana pleases me greatly. Now, if you will excuse me, I shall find her and start the pleasing anew."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, during his long conversation about many things with Lucilla and then trapped again by Caesar for a few minutes, Diana had finally made her way out of the tent to the stable, snuck past guards too busy celebrating, themselves, untied his horse, and, as quietly as she could, began leading the stallion out of the camp.

Fighting back tears, her mind races. - I'm sorry, Max. I can't spend any more time around you. Find your pleasures with Cicero or MAKE LOVE with Lucilla tonight. I'll survive without the BEDDING you wanted with me. And good luck with Marcus. I told you what I knew. It's up to you now. And if I went and messed up history by telling you, then the idiots in charge of this fucking game we call life shouldn't have put me here to begin with! -

She has just stepped outside of the perimeter when a hand clamps over her mouth in the darkness, pulling her away from the horse to press a dagger into her side. Her back forced into a tree, she can see now that her attacker is Commodus ..... Commodus who had immediately went looking for her when Lucilla informed him of her purity.

"Lady Diana," he smiles with a predator's leer. "I do hope you were simply lost and not trying to escape?"

"I would never," she easily lies to him, showing no fear at the prickling of the dagger against her.

"Of course not," he agrees, not at all believing her. "Why would a slave of Maximus' try to escape? They all adore him and his merciful ways. Although, I have heard you are pure. Perhaps," and he begins to laugh in a way that Diana can tell he's not truly amused, "you are frightened of his legendary sword? ..Well, my sword is legendary too, and as you are only a slave and Maximus a servant of my father, I declare my right to you as future Caesar."

"What?" she barely gets out before he's pushing her stola up, ready to take her right there against the tree.

THUD! Her knee catches him square between his legs, and the son of Caesar screams shrilly, falling to the ground. - Oh shit! - she thinks, not expecting the man to shriek like that. - The whole camp can probably hear him! He's screaming like a girl! -

And indeed they have. People are shouting in alarm and running towards the sound. "Here! Here!" he cries. "Lady Diana is trying to escape! She has harmed me!"

Diana runs now, as fast as she can for her life into the forest, forgetting the horse in her terror to get away. - Oh My God!!! Even Max won't be able to save me, assuming he'll even want to! It's probably a fucking death sentence for hurting a future Caesar! -

Soldiers and royal guards are just about to crash into the wood after the runaway when a loud ringing command pierces through the commotion. "HOLD!!!" Maximus roars, suppressing his own fury at Diana in his grave worry that a sword could fell her before he reaches her.

"Maximus!" Commodus cries. "She was trying to escape with your mount! I tried to capture her, but she bewitched me! Used her charms in an attempt to beguile me, and when it did not work, when I came to my senses and refused to bed her and forget what she was doing, she felled me in the worse way to a man!"

The General's rational mind is insisting that Diana would never have tried to bed Commodus, but his shocked anger at her for running once again, the very male irrational part of his mind almost believing the lie, that she would not easily give herself to him but would use her body to escape, makes him lose inner-control. - WHY DOES SHE DO THIS TO ME?! -

Very calmly, only his eyes betraying his emotions, he turns to Commodus, barely resisting the urge not to squash the man who was quite likely touching his female. - If I strike him, if I dispute him right now, I will likely die where I stand and never find her again. - "She is my slave. I will capture her and punish her. Keep your men back."

"I do not think so," Commodus' eyes brighten with malice. "I have a right to her now, and I mean to have her blood."

"Commodus .., " Maximus warns, dangerously stepping forward in what he knows will be suicide, but unable to stop himself now. - I can snap his vile neck before his guards fell me. -

"Maximus? Commodus?" Caesar makes his way to them. "What has happened?"

In minutes, Caesar has been given all the details, and he makes a decision. It is obvious to the old man how badly his friend Maximus wants her back, how he is straining to remain calm in His Lord's presence, but Marcus, a wise ruler, must also consider his son, his son who has been harmed by a slave, and it changes everything. "You may both search for her. Only you two. No others. Whomever finds her first .. may keep her."



CHAPTER 18

"Caesar! Please!" Maximus pleads, falling onto both knees. "Diana is my concubine. Allow me to punish her."

"I am truly sorry, Maximus," Caesar shakes his head. "But I WILL give you this. IF Commodus catches her first, he may only keep her to do as he will until the full moon, punishing or pleasuring in all ways but one. Your concubine will remain pure," a warning look is thrown at his son, "and my personal physician will see that she does."

"And at the full moon?" Maximus chokes out, trembling with rage at what he knows Commodus will do to her before then.

"The evening of the full moon she will be brought before me, and I will make a permanent decision on which household she will belong to. Until then, she belongs to Commodus, IF he catches her first."

"And if I am the one to catch her first?" - By all the Gods, I HAVE to! -

"Your concubine will spend one day on the cross as punishment, and then you may have her again."

"I will agree to this," Commodus speaks up, "if I am the one that is allowed to lash her at the cross. Otherwise, I will receive little satisfaction for her crime if Maximus finds her before I do."

With a nod of his head, Caesar agrees, although hoping to himself that Maximus does indeed find her first.

"I .... I agree," Maximus sighs, knowing he has no choice. - I would temper the lash for her, but Commodus has never tempered anything in his entire life. He is known for making the lash harm to it's utmost. Her body will bear many scars. -

"You may leave," Caesar grants them wearily with a wave of his hand. - Good luck, my friend. --

Seconds later, the men are off into the forest, no one noticing the silent signal Commodus gave to his personal guard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- RUN! RUN! RUN! - is the only thought pounding in her head, as she tears through the trees blindly, knowing she only has the barest of leads before the whole camp comes after her. "Ahhhhh!" she trips and falls, almost tumbling entirely down the side of a small but very steep cliff.

The drop is maybe 30 feet, and, below, is seen what appears to be very sharp rocks gaping out of the ground at her. Hanging onto the branch of a small tree that has grown into the side of the cliff, Diana immediately tries to heave herself back up, away from those deadly rocks. Unfortunately, the more she struggles, the more the tree pulls from the ground, ready to break completely and plunge her to her death.

"DIANA!" Maximus is shouting not far away, allowing every ounce of panic to fill his voice. Although he knows she was trying to escape from him, he is praying that she will hear in his tone his fear for her and show herself so he will be able to protect her.

Commodus does not bother to make his presence known, knowing that Diana will never come out of hiding at the sound of his voice. He is also being very careful, while he follows silently, to stay back out of the man's sight. It wouldn't really matter to Maximus. As long as he is the one to reach her first, Commodus can follow him all he wants.

"DIANA!" he shouts again, crashing through the woods, as he tries to follow her trail under the moon.

"MAX! MAX! Help me! Please help me! Over here! A cliff! Be careful!"

"GODS!" he's soon shouting in horror, immediately flattening himself to the ground to stretch down towards her.

"I can't reach!"

"You can! Do it!" he orders, struggling to remain calm so he can save her.

"I can't!" Terror-stricken eyes plead up at him, hand falling just out of his reach. "I can't!"

"WOMAN!" he loses whatever outward calm he may have had. "TAKE - MY - HAND - NOW!"

Something in his eyes, more than just anger at her and fear for her life, something more, Diana realizes, is staring back down at her, as though reaching into her soul, pulling an extra ounce of strength from her. Their fingers touch, another inch, grasping for a hold, until the miracle happens. His hand wraps around her wrist, pulling her up, as his other locks onto her shoulder, and Diana is suddenly rushing through the air, rushing towards him .... and safety.

The momentum from his massive heave pulls her right onto him, and they immediately embrace tightly, her face pressed into his neck, gasping little breaths as he tries not to sob with relief at holding her in his arms. "Are you injured?" he finally manages to breathe in her ear.

Her head lifts, and all the anger has gone from his eyes, leaving only concern and that 'something' more. "No. Thank you ...Thank you for saving my life."

"You may not be so grateful I did," he sighs sorrowfully. "Commodus has been given permission by Caesar to lash you for harming him. The man has a very heavy hand with the lash." - There must be something I can do to prevent this when we return to camp! I will find a way! -

"Harming him?" she snorts. "He tried to rape me!"

"I knew it!" he snarls, jumping to his feet, pulling her with him. "I KNEW you would not use your womanly ways to seduce him for escape!"

"Seduce him? I have no intention of giving myself to ANY man!" - in this filthy time! But if the powers-that-be had brought YOU into mine, I'd be all over you by now! -

"Tis why you ran from me again," his voice lowers, "is it not?"

"Yes Max," her head hangs, not quite in shame, but close. "Just can't seem to make you understand that I won't be taken like a slave. You can beat me, lash me and even rape me, but I'll never be a sexual slave for you ... never."

"Aye Woman," he sighs again. "Tis finally becoming clear to me now. You will keep running from me no matter how gently I take you, no matter how much pleasure I give you as my concubine, no matter how well I treat you as a slave of my hearth."

"Yes," she looks up at him, staring him firmly in the eyes, unafraid. "If you take me, I will never stop running until I am dead in the ground .. Never stop."

"What if .," his eyes search hers, searching for the answer to solve this problem and not lose her. "What if I do not take you at all? What if .... in time, when you choose, you come to me willingly of your own free will? Would you remain living in my home then? Stay as my concubine?"

A beat. A hesitation to think before she commits herself to this man she truly respects now. "Maximus," she answers, deliberately using his full name. "If I have your word you won't try to take me in any way against my will, I'll stay with you ... willingly." And she adds very softly, fingers reaching for the first time to touch his lightly bearded cheek, "and maybe even come to you on my own one night." - Maybe. I want you, but I ain't exactly keen on sharing with the wife. -

His features immediately radiate his happiness, and he leans his face into her hand, a thrill coursing through him that the woman has finally touched him willingly in an intimate way. Moving closer, smiling softly, he whispers near her lips, "You have my word, Diana. I will not take you. Your body is yours until the day you wish to share it with me."

"Thank you," she whispers back, as they gaze into each other's eyes, moving in harmony to seal the promise with a kiss when ...

"What a lovely scene," Commodus proclaims, stepping out of from behind large boulders where he had been watching them from. "The playwrights could not have written anything more romantic. The Great General of Caesar's army in love with the strange beautiful maiden from far away."

Maximus does not deny it. He is a man who knows love, and his heart is ready to accept it now with someone other than his spouse. Seeing Diana hanging over that cliff, hearing her promise to stay with him; he knows he loves her with his entire being, his soul bonding to another in a way it has never done before, a way that makes him want to weep with joy.

"Love?" she asks, heart pounding in disbelief, no longer even seeing Commodus.

"Aye," he looks down at her meaningfully for a quick moment in confirmation before his eyes move back to Commodus, his enemy.

Although his stance is firm, ready for battle, Diana is pulled into his embrace, and her arms gratefully wrap around him. - Man of a few words! - she laughs inwardly, reeling from the shocking but wonderful news.

"Well, good for you, Maximus. First the daughter of Caesar, then that peasant girl, and now this slave woman."

"What do you want, Commodus," he growls, refusing to take the bait. "I have found her first. Leave us."

"You order me? I think you overstep, my old friend."

"I do not overstep. YOU have overstepped by trying to take what is mine!"

"Ahhhh," and the snake prince rubs his chin as if in thought. "Well, I do not see it that way. I am Rome, and what is Rome belongs to me."

"You mean your father," Maximus firmly corrects him.

"Not for long," Commodus smiles.

The effect is immediate on Maximus. His arms drop from Diana, ready to push her behind him, when Commodus hurriedly explains. "My father is old and sickly. I fear he will not live much longer. And I feel quite confident he will designate me Caesar-To-Be."

Maximus has no desire to discuss Caesar's health, and his arm moves around Diana again to lead her away. "If you will not leave, then we will."

A flash of the royal hand, and eight personal guards step out from concealment, swords drawn. "The slave comes with me."

"Nay," is the grunted answer, his other arm making ready to pull his own sword and fight to the death these highly trained and deadly servants of the royal family. "I will discuss her punishment with Caesar. No one touches her but me. I will make Caesar understand."

For a second, Diana tenses in his arm, hearing him speak of her in such a way after the talk they just had. But, glancing up at his eyes, seeing them hard on Commodus and then lowering to flicker a touch of love down upon her, she knows he's not rescinding his promise to not touch her, the man is only laying claim to her in such a way to protect her from Commodus.

"Tis you that does not understand," Commodus says quite pleasantly with the confidence of a man who knows he has won before the match has even begun. "If you do not release her, I will have my men overwhelm you, and while you are made to watch, they will take her and kill her in front of you."

"You would not dare!" Maximus bellows, his arm tightening instinctively around her.

"And why not? Are we not alone, deep in the woods, just you, me, a slave and my personal trustworthy guards?"

"Caesar will punish you when he finds out!"

"My father will not find out. You will die too, but not until you have seen her scream, seen the blood drain from her plundered body, seen her purity taken along with her life. Your bodies will be buried deep in the ground, a story told of barbarians surprising us, and my father will never know."

"You are insane!" Maximus spits in disgust.

"Perhaps," his eyes glimmer with madness. "But I will be Caesar, and you and your slave will be dead."

"Nay! I will fight!" he announces and draws his sword, swiftly pushing Diana behind him.

"NO!" Diana cries and steps away from Maximus. "There's too many! I won't let you die over this!"

"Diana," he reaches out to her, but she's already pulled away too quickly and has moved directly in front of Commodus.

"I'll do as you wish," she stares into the cold eyes. "Don't kill him, and I'm yours, willingly."

A low desperate moan spills from The Spaniard's lips, and his head falls in defeat, knowing that Diana is right. - I cannot kill them all. We would both suffer and die. -

"Your slave is indeed wise. Even you, the Mighty Maximus, could not have won this bout. Now, you will both live thanks to her. My father will be told that I found her first. She will be mine until the new moon. If you dispute this to him, she will die before you are able to complete your accusation against me."

"Full moon," his head lifts in a warning growl. "Your father ordered that she remain pure and then brought before him for final decision."

"Aye, she will remain pure .. in that one way," Commodus smiles in such a way that Diana almost wishes for a moment that she had let Maximus fight for her instead. "And as for that night, you may well have her back, if my father so chooses, assuming he is still alive."

"As for that night," Maximus repeats with a promise, "once I have her back safely, I will kill you and any who try to protect you from me."

"We shall see," the prince shrugs and turns his back on him, walking away into the camp's direction.

Before moving to follow Commodus, Diana tries to convey her sorrow to Maximus, but the man will have no part of it. Their eyes catch, hers filled with sadness, his glaring back at her angrily, and then turning away, too furious at their predicament to think clearly. - He's alive! Pissed off but alive! That's all that matters! Keep him alive! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Step forward, Lady Diana," Caesar orders, his voice filled with remorse that Maximus did not find the woman first. A royal hand reaches out, and knowing what the man is probably going to do, Diana resists the urge to pull back from Caesar and allows him to take the bracelet off her neck. "I hereby declare," he states, as he holds up the bracelet for all to see, "that the slave by the name of Diana shall no longer be the Concubine Lady Diana. She is now the property of Commodus, Son of Caesar, until I make my final decision the night of the full moon."

"Maximus," Caesar calls next, and Diana steps back, tears threatening to overflow, afraid to look directly at the man now and end up bawling like a baby in front of everyone. With her head lowered, she watches Maximus slowly step forward, holding out his wrist for Caesar to remove his bracelet. "I hereby declare," he continues, as he holds the wrist bracelet high, "that General Maximus Decimus Meridus shall no longer be the master and bond mate of the slave Diana. He holds no rights to her. Their bond is broken."

- All because I tried to run away. If I'd known the big lug really loved me, this never woulda happened. Commodus can do his worse. In a few weeks we'll be together again. I can't doubt Marcus will return me to Max. -

- All because I could not see her for what she is .... a true free woman, not a slave, a woman of her own time who will never bend to my will in mine. When this is over, I shall petition for her citizenship at once. Give her the freedom she cherishes so greatly. Then, if the Gods are willing, she will announce her love for me as I have for her. Be my mistress, I pray, and wear a wrist bracelet to match mine. -

- Much can happen before the new moon, - are the similar thoughts of Cicero and Lucilla. - 'Tis possible that Commodus will abuse her so greatly that no man shall ever want her again. -

"Father, if I may now," Commodus speaks, pulling from his garment a bronze neck bracelet.

Diana looks up and immediately sees the harshness of it. This is not a beautiful gold and ornate bracelet like the one given by Maximus. This one is nothing, saying only 'Property of Commodus Aurelius'. Caesar, with a sad look at Maximus, waves his hand for Diana to come forward again. And, within moments, Commodus has snapped the bracelet around her neck, grinning the entire time at the fierce look on Maximus' face.

Peering around closely, Diana is coming to the realization that there are several other men and women with the exact same bronze collar, that it obviously isn't a symbol of a bond like Concubine, but that it is rather a declaration of possession, a simple slave collar. And just when the modern woman is sure that she can't possibly be made to feel any worse about this new slave situation, she should have known that, indeed, someone above is apparently out to get her.

Commodus has fastened a small chain leash to the collar.

A whispered warning comes to her ear. "I know what you are thinking. Almost all slaves think it, that you can easily break the leash whenever you want. So I shall warn you just once, my newest slave, that if this leash is ever broken, if you ever try to run from me, I shall cut your fingers off one by one, and you shall pay dearly. Now look to your left at my darkest skinned slave; a female who twice tried to return to her savage land."

Gasping in horror, Diana's eyes widen at seeing a middle-aged woman missing two fingers, and Maximus, suspecting what Commodus is saying and noting where Diana is looking, begins to pray fervently in his mind. - Dear Gods, make her obey him. Do not let him harm her, I beg thee. Make her keep her tongue, do what he commands and come back to me whole. -

Diana can feel the chain pulling her neck. It's obvious that Commodus is expecting an answer from her. With a slight nod of her head to show that she understands, he releases the chain to hang by her side, and Maximus sighs audibly in relief.

"Now!" Caesar announces with a clap of his hands. "The night is not over. Back to our celebration of the glorious war won by our mighty Maximus!"

Commodus, of course, quickly moves to sit back down next to his father and pulls Diana to sit on the floor between his feet. The leash is kept tight, wrapped in his hand, and she finds that she can barely move without it choking her. Maximus, trying his best to smile and converse to people like expected of him, keeps his eyes almost continually on Diana, holding hers whenever possible in an attempt to send her love and strength straight from the depths of his soul to hers. Any anger he was feeling towards her by the cliff regarding her surrender to Commodus has totally vanished.

"Stop looking at him," the royal growls, tired of watching his newest slave's head move, as she follows Maximus' movements throughout the tent.

Diana, not bothering to respond to the order, is swiftly rewarded by a sharp slap to her head, hard enough to make her cry out in surprise. The cry is heard and Maximus freezes, his hand sliding to his dagger, but Diana, afraid to move her head again, stares intently at him, trying to will the man to remain still and not make a move and be killed over it.

Furious blue eyes move back and forth from Commodus, who is smirking at him, to Diana, who he can tell is pleading at him. Out of desperation, she silently mouths, "I love you," and it works. The soundless words reach to his anguished heart, calming him just in time.

The hand by the dagger retreats, and he nods to her, turning away briefly to gather himself before returning to conversation, trying hard now to refrain from watching as Commodus plays with her hair and runs his hands around her neck and shoulders. - She loves me, and I her. Soon, he shall die for this. Being My Lord's son shall no longer protect him from me, regardless of Caesar's decision. -

- Did I just tell a man 2,000 years older than me that I loved him? And my mother thought I'd never find a man! .... Oh God ... Mom... Dad ... I ... I'd do anything to see you again ... my family .... escape this nightmare. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night is called to an end, and Commodus pulls Diana away to his own smaller tent, purposely walking right by Maximus, who ignores him to carefully move his hand to brush by hers, entwining fingers for a fraction of a moment before she is gone. The large chamber empties quickly, people ready to sleep or rut, and Lucilla, coming up behind Maximus, runs her hands over his shoulders. "Come to my chamber, Maximus," she says soothingly. "I shall make you forget your ex-concubine."

Turning to her, his face struggling to hide his fear and anger at what he knows Commodus is about to do to Diana, he takes his old love's hand in his and kisses it. "You honor me, Lucilla, but I must decline."

"You reject me when you no longer have her?" she hisses in indignation.

"My Lady, please. I am weary," he gently drops her hand. "Tis been a long day."

"Very well," she chooses to save face by pretending to believe his lie. "Perhaps when you are rested?"

"Perhaps," he quietly agrees, although thinking, - Nay, never. My Diana and my wife are all I desire. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even knowing there is nothing he can do, there is no way Maximus can keep himself from heading right over to Commodus' tent. The loyal family guards are everywhere, and they are watching the General of Rome very carefully. These men hold only to their allegiance to Caesar and his son, and they will not hesitate to kill Maximus if he tries to enter the tent uninvited.

Unable to keep still, Maximus begins pacing back and forth around the area he is sure is closest to the bedchamber, and the guards warningly place their hands on their swords, well aware of what is likely to happen. Guards are easily ignored by a man in such torment, however, a man whose thoughts are only on the tent, a man whose control is ready to break.

And break it does. Only one word rings out, but that one word pierces his sanity, a brief high-pierced shriek of pain and terror, a shriek of .... "MAX!!!!"



CHAPTER 19

"DIANA!!!" Maximus returns the scream, his sword flying into his hand; ready to rush the tent when Quintus and three of his men jump in front of him. They're holding him, pinning his arms, his body shaking in fury. "Release me! I command you to release me!"

The Praetorian guards watch quietly, willing to stand back and wait to see if the loyal soldiers of Maximus' army will actually release their commander to die a certain death. Maximus is making such a commotion, however, snarling and fighting as hard as he can against the four men on top of him, that Quintus, worried that Caesar or Commodus will hear, quickly butts his friend over the head with his sword, and they carry his stilled body back to his tent.

The body does not stay still for long. Their general soon wakes to find himself tied efficiently to his own bed .... and gagged. Immediately, he struggles with everything he has, screaming his outrage behind the cloth tight to his mouth, as his men stand firm, shaking their heads in refusal to him and Cicero sobs tears in the corner. Maximus never sleeps that night. It is a night spent pulling futilely on the binds and glaring at his men, who are careful to take turns keeping watch for his and their own safety. Naturally, no one else is allowed to see him like this, a mighty general now a helpless man, stricken by his desire for a slave woman.

Diana's night is spent learning just how sadistic Commodus really is in ways that the history books never did quite talk about. After her first cry for Maximus, the moment Commodus took her anally with no preparation other than a quick spit of lubrication for himself, she spent hours gagged, sobbing in agony, wanting to die. Never left alone for a moment of rest, Commodus did things to the modern woman that she didn't even know were possible. Diana has finally entered true hell in this horror-filled dimension she tumbled into, and her only angel, Maximus, is incapable of rescuing her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come morning, Quintus hurries the men out of the general's bedchamber, cuts loose one still straining hand from the corner of the bed and quickly rushes out himself without a word. - There is nothing I can do or say if he so desires to slay me for this betrayal. I will never regret saving his life as he has saved mine many times in battle. -

Maximus isn't even thinking about Quintus defying him at the moment. The gag is pulled off, and the bellow of "CICERO!" rings through the camp. The boy is at his side immediately, cutting through the rope at his leg while Maximus works on the rest of the binds with the dagger handed to him.

In seconds, he is running from the tent in a blind fury to save his woman and exact his revenge on Commodus, when he skids to a halt. Diana is hanging naked by rope from the cross, blood running everywhere, her body completely limp. Within the privacy of Commodus' tent, she had been severely belted throughout the night and only recently been left on the cross as further humiliation to both herself and Maximus.

"DIANA!" he shouts in horror, not believing his eyes at the carnage wrecked upon her body.

All movement in the area stops.

Able to lift her head only a fraction of an inch, the beaten woman can sense someone near her now. Eyes swollen shut, throat and mouth raw, a choking gasp at feeling the gag lifted, and she just barely manages to rasp, "Max? I'm so tired."

He answers her with gentle hands upon her face, soft yet desperate little kisses all over, murmuring, "I am here, My Love. I am here."

"Max ..," she moans, fainting into his arms.

"Bring my physician!" he orders Cicero, and without a second thought that he is taking another man's property, he has Diana in his arms and carried to his bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While the physician, slaves and Maximus hurry around her, Diana sleeps through the entire examination, cleansing and bandaging of her body. She'll wish she had stayed asleep.

With no forewarning of any kind, Commodus walks right into Maximus' bedchamber to almost fall back in fright at the sight of the man lunging at him. It is a lunge that is not completed; stopped almost in mid-air. "Father!" he exclaims, trying to keep the fear out of his voice. "Did I not tell you he stole my slave?"

"Be this true, Maximus?" Caesar inquires, stepping in between the men to look quite disappointed at his general.

"Aye My Lord," he admits, although his eyes show no regret. "I woke to find her hanging on the cross. Behold what your son has done to my concubine."

"EX concubine," Caesar corrects him with a sad shake of his head, as his eyes fall on the battered body. "I know, I know," his hand raises at Maximus' mouth opening to protest. "You love the woman. 'Tis obvious to all that you would give your life for hers. Correct?"

"Aye, I would, and I did not agree to have her treated like this until the new moon."

A royal sigh and another decision. "Commodus, you went too far," and the hand goes up again when his son's mouth opens next to protest. "The woman's back will be scarred now. Even our best physicians will not be able to eliminate all those wounds."

"I ... I offer compensation to Maximus."

"Nay! I do not want your gold for her blood."

"Is she no longer of value to you?" the mad man sneers. "Not as precious now that she is marked?"

If Caesar were not between them, Commodus would be dead. "I would not care if you lashed every inch of her body. She will always be of value to me."

The Emperor has had enough. Time to rein his son in. "Commodus, 'tis my command that you do not draw blood from her again. She is to spend the remainder of the day and this night healing in your bed with your female slaves and my physician to look after her. You will sleep tonight with another."

"She can stay here until the new morn," Maximus immediately interjects.

"Father! Nay!" he cries like a petulant child. "She is MY slave now."

"My son," Caesar speaks directly to Maximus, "although too eager to indulge himself at times, is correct. Diana belongs to him, temporarily."

"Caesar, I beg you," Maximus falls on his knee. "Rescind your decision. I offer myself in her place."

"Maximus!" Caesar gasps in surprise. "You would offer yourself as slave to Commodus to protect this woman?"

"Aye," he answers without hesitation, bowing his head low. "I offer my life and my body for hers." - Forever and always to protect her. -

"Tis your decision to make," Caesar turns to his son. "Diana or Maximus until the new moon?"

The depraved one rubs his face, trying to decide. - Torture Maximus' body or torture his heart? Which shall cause him more pain? - "Bring her to my tent," he orders his guards that have been standing just outside the room.

A furious shaking comes over Maximus; afraid to rise from his bended knee now for fear he will throw himself over Diana to stop the guards from taking her. His love is being carried from the room when her eyes open, and feeling herself moving away from the safety of his presence, she moans, her hand reaching out to him, "Nooooo please, Max."

The man is off his knee in a flash, moving forward, a hand going out to touch her when Caesar steps in front of him, his head shaking in warning. Defeated again, Maximus is forced to swiftly turn his face away, desperate to hold back tears that are springing into his eyes from falling in front of his emperor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not about to disobey his father outwardly, Commodus leaves Diana alone as instructed, and the royal physician attends her, making his prognosis. "I am sorry to say there will be some scarring, My Lord, but I am confident it will only be confined to her back."

"Check her maidenhood again," Caesar instructs the man, and is soon pleased to hear, for Maximus' sake, that Commodus did not overstep in that area also. - To not have faith in my own son, 'tis another reason he cannot be named as Caesar. -

Maximus, knowing that she is being taken care of and that he cannot enter Commodus' tent without an invitation, spends the day busying himself with Caesar and his men, preparing to break camp and return to Rome. In the back of his mind is the ever-present feeling that Commodus will have something to do with Caesar's death this day, as Diana warned. - I had hoped to journey home next, see my wife and son, but I will not leave Diana alone in Rome with that snake. I will wait at my Roman hearth until the full moon, and as soon as Caesar returns her to me, I will request her citizenship and ask her to come home with me to Trujillo and stay as my mistress. Gods, I pray she will come. I will provide for her as though she were my wife. The three of us will be happy with many children. -

Diana may indeed love Maximus now, but the ancient man still has no idea how to make a modern woman happy. This woman will never consent to live as a mistress with his wife, no matter how obliging that wife is likely to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As evening approaches, Caesar speaks to Maximus alone, telling him that he wants Maximus to become the Protector of Rome when he dies and slowly give the power back to the people . no more Caesars. Maximus may be proud, but he is stunned at such a responsibility given to him when he only wishes to retire. Out of loyalty to his lord and his friend, though, he assures the man that he will do anything he must to protect Rome. Commodus will not become Caesar.

Not long into the night, and the son is told of the news by the father. It is a news not taken well. As Caesar breaks down in anguish at disappointing his son while taking the blame for his son's weaknesses upon himself as a parent, Commodus embraces him, an embrace about to turn deadly suffocating when Maximus re-enters the chamber.

Upon his unannounced entrance, Commodus immediately relaxes the pressure on his father's head, petting the man's back again while nodding in an obvious startled greeting to Maximus. "Caesar," Maximus calls, sensing that he's just accomplished what he's been worrying about for days. "May I speak with you?"

"Of course," the old man replies, standing up with Commodus' help. Caesar will never know how close he came to death.

"My humble apologies, My Lord. I am afraid I will need one more day to prepare the camp for departure." A falsehood, but one Maximus can easily control as commander of the camp.

"Tis fine, my friend," Caesar smiles generously. "Do what you must to return all our people safely home to Rome."

Commodus, seething now and recognizing the lie for what it is, has seen the knowledge in Maximus' eyes that the man knew what was happening only moments before. But being that there is nothing he can do to change it, a furious glare is thrown at Maximus, as he departs the chamber for his own.

At the man's departure, a flood of relief washes through Maximus, and knowing he will not be allowed to see Diana, he spends the rest of the night talking with Caesar, watching over him as he sleeps, not about to take any chances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning the announcement is made to the camp that their beloved general has accepted the future duty as Protector of Rome, that upon the Emperor's death, there will no longer be a Caesar. It is the final straw that breaks Commodus' plan. Killing his father will serve nothing now that this deplorable news is public knowledge by so many. - I will punish Maximus for this! He will pay! I know of another he holds dear to his heart! -

The camp continues to make haste to leave the following daybreak, and Commodus, not having anything to do, of course, walks around watching everyone work, Maximus included, while dragging his newest possession around by the chain, nude. No clothing will be allowed this slave while they remain within a camp run by his enemy. And the slave, head hanging low after what was done to her the night before, is so humiliated being bare now and pulled around the camp like an animal, that she will not make eye contact with anyone and continually turns to keep from seeing more than a glance of her former master. Many holds on the forearm of that ex-master by his friend Quintus is needed, reminding him to wait, to help the man endure the sight of the beaten body being paraded around his camp.

Even Caesar's head shakes disapprovingly, but the royal liege says and does nothing to dispute the matter. - As much as I am not happy about it, I wonder if I should allow Commodus to keep the woman. It will assuage my guilt for not making him Caesar. Maximus already has a love in his life. My friend does not need two when my son has nothing special in a female companion. There is no doubt this stranger is special. Even now, she may look broken, but anyone can see she is truly not. If I do allow my son to keep her, I shall continue to be certain he does not over-step. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that afternoon, Diana is allowed to bathe with Commodus. Entering the private spot, Maximus' guards tense at seeing the royal show uninvited, and one immediately slips back to the camp to inform their superior. Not minutes later, Maximus rushes in to find Diana sitting on the man's lap. "She is to remain pure," is the growled reminder.

"Maximus, Maximus, Maximus," he replies with a bored tone. "Unlike you, from the stories I have heard and even seen for myself before you were married, I do not have any trouble keeping a female on my lap without sheathing my sword at the same time."

Diana, who was struggling to keep her face down and unemotional, gazes up at Maximus with a very strange look on her face. "Since you are a stranger to Rome, My Slave," Commodus continues, "I shall tell you of the Great General's debauchery." And, to Maximus' utter frustration, Commodus proceeds to weave stories to Diana of all the foolishness he partook of as a normal uninhibited youth.

"I was young and unmarried," he states through gritted teeth. "You are not young, Commodus."

"Aye, and not married. Although, if my father allows me to keep this one, I may be tempted to grant her citizenship and take her as my wife." - She intrigues me. I break her body, yet her spirit remains untouched. -

"I'll NEVER marry you!" Diana suddenly hisses, attempting to stand now.

Royal arms tighten around her, and, without warning, she finds her head pushed into the water under two very strong hands. Instantly, every muscle in Maximus' body tenses, counting the seconds. It is the ultimate standoff between the army guards and the royal guards, staring at each other in readiness, all waiting for the signal from the one they follow.

Just when Maximus is sure another second cannot possibly be counted, ready to dive into the bath and save his woman, Commodus lifts her head with a brilliant smile, and Diana chokes and gasps, flailing for air. The arms are wrapped around her again, and he whispers in her ear, as she continues to heave air into her lungs, "Next time I will not let you up, and my poor father and Maximus will be informed of your bathing accident when I was not around to save you."

Through choking breaths, still struggling against him, her eyes find Maximus again. A slight nod of his head to her, and she understands, allowing the tension to fall from her body and sit complacently once again. - Not surprised. Sick bastard has a hard-on now from almost drowning me. -

"Now Maximus," Commodus asks quite pleasantly. "Did you wish to join us in the bath?"

A moment's pause .... "Nay, I have changed my mind."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Caesar's tent that night, a small intimate party is given to celebrate Maximus' new future status, and Commodus spends the evening nursing his resentment with Diana's bare body between his legs. "Dance," he orders her when his father has returned to his bedchamber to rest.

"I don't know how," she immediately answers truthfully.

"Dance," comes the order again, this time with fingers digging painfully into the back of her neck.

Desperately trying to remember old movies showing dancing girls in ancient times, and also thinking of the two women who danced for Maximus and Quintus the night they were bonded, the modern woman is simply unable to come up with anything she is comfortable enough to imitate. The only thing she can think of trying, from all the times she watched it with her male friends, is the exotic flash type of dance that women would use in stripper bars. If her situation weren't so dismal and humiliating, Diana would probably laugh at the memories she is about to use from the teasing fun nights enjoyed long ago on military leave.

It completely shocks the audience.

Before long, Diana has commanded every eye on her, every breath holding in wonder at this new exciting type of dance from the ex-concubine of Maximus. And Diana doesn't even notice. She has fallen into a dance only for him, every movement of her body aimed only at one man. A man who is finding himself responding to it in a way he would never before have allowed in public.

"HALT! ENOUGH!" Commodus shouts at seeing the heated devotion passing between the two, a devotion that no one could possibly miss. With a lowered head, Diana obeys, walking silently back to him to the applause of everyone but Maximus. "I believe I am feeling a bit warm now," Commodus smiles at his own joke, and, within moments, he takes Diana back to his tent, ready to resume where they left off the night before.

Hours later at dawn, the camp breaks for the road back to Rome.


CHAPTER 20

Maximus rarely has a chance to catch more than a glimpse of Diana on the journey back to Rome. She is kept in a covered wagon with Commodus, Lucilla and one or two of their other favorite slaves. At night, for the scant few hours the travelers stop, Diana is allowed out on the leash for a brief walk, covered now in a plain tunic. With what she has to endure in the man's arms all day and night, her mind is beginning to slip, probably a good thing, in this case, as her trials as his pet have yet to truly begin.

Commodus, a man with a very busy little mind, is already beside himself thinking of all the fun he will have with her at the palace while his father is busy. His other much anticipated plan has already been set into motion. - Maximus will suffer the rest of his days when he finds out. I only wish I could be the one to do it myself. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Rome is finally reached, Commodus ensures that Diana is whisked away by his guards to his private quarters and kept under close watch while he, his father and Maximus meet with The Senate. When the long day comes to an end, Maximus follows them both back to the palace to begin searching for her. - I know Caesar will keep her alive for me. I need only to gaze upon her.

"Your business here is complete," Commodus rudely crosses his path with his arms folded across his chest. "Why do you remain?"

"You know why," comes the throaty growl. "You are keeping her from me."

"My right to do so. Mine for three more days."

"Aye, and then she will return to me where she belongs."

"Perhaps," he smirks at his most hated enemy. - Or perhaps if you do not scorn her when next you see her, you will despise her for what she is keeping you from protecting. -

Maximus, defeated in his pursuit to find her, returns to his city hearth and begins instructing his slaves to prepare the home for his lady who will be coming soon to stay with him. He is only questioned once when they ask him to repeat the order to make ready the guest quarters for her. Maximus is not about to make a foolish mistake in assuming that Diana will want to immediately share his bed. The man is slowly learning that assumptions and Diana do not mix well. - And she will need time to heal. I fear she will not be anxious to sleep in any man's arms for some time. Commodus will pay for what he has done. Pay with his life. -

Walking throughout his home, a place he has not seen for some time, his thoughts are once more on how things should have gone. - If she had not attempted to leave me that night, we would be on our way now to see my family. And had I not been stubborn in my desire to keep her against her will, she would not have run. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the first full day back in Rome, Commodus is ready to present his new toy to his peers. It is a toy that has been carefully kept concealed from all but his most loyal followers, a toy that has been ... changed.

A private party is held to mark his return. Within a large inner room with close male and female companions, the party progresses throughout the day full of music, wine, food, and, of course, sex. The party may be private, but even the most discreet of parties involving Commodus is sure to reach the ears of Maximus. With no announcement before him, he barges into the room he remembers well from his own youth and freezes in shock, roaring, "COMMODUS!!" to immediately find himself surrounded by the many loyal Praetorian guards.

Diana is on her hands and knees with the object of that roar, a man who is grinning up at Maximus in mid-thrust, thrilled to be caught in the middle of the act while His Enemy's Love is also made to take another man within her mouth. Almost instantly at seeing the horrified look on Maximus' face, Commodus groans loudly in release, withdraws to fix his tunic and then pulls a very reluctant Diana out from behind the plants where she has just scuttled to hide herself in shame.

Dragged to stand with Commodus before him, enough men with swords drawn around them for protection, and Diana cringes visibly at watching Maximus turn purple with rage at seeing what Commodus has done to her. Her long thick auburn hair has been chopped into a man's cut, and her body now shows three tattoos; one on her left breast, her right buttock and one just above her womanhood, where she has been shaved. Three tattoos that all say only one thing .... Commodus'.

And, if that weren't enough to drive him mad with fury, her nipples have been pierced with small hoops allowing two thin chains to run from them up to her neck and attach to the bronze slave collar. A larger chain has also been fitted around her waist, and hanging from it are two more thin chains; one down tight between her buttocks and one down tight over her pubic bone, where both are attached to a small hoop that is piercing the skin around her clitoris.

The tightness of the chains pulling on that sensitive skin with every movement of her body and the piercings in her nipples that are pulled every time Commodus yanks on the leash should have had the effect of keeping Diana in an almost continual state of arousal, but being that Commodus was the one to brand her in such a way, it has only served to traumatize the modern woman more.

Diana is convinced, from the tremendous shame and disgust coursing through her at what has been done to her body, that Maximus must certainly feel the same way and will no longer want her near him. - How will he stand to look at the name of this monster all over me now? The ugly, filthy creature Commodus has turned me into? He'll turn from me just like I used to do to him. -

Maximus, no longer able to hold back a chortled groan of despair, pulls his eyes from her debased body and storms out of the room, going directly to Caesar's private quarters to demand an audience with him. Unfortunately, there will be no audience today, as Caesar has fallen ill, and his physician will allow no one to see him until his strength returns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forced to spend the evening at his home, Maximus howls like a mad man, tearing the place apart in his own agony, as his terrified slaves run and hide from the furious throwing of anything he can get his hands on around him. It is a fit that does nothing to help calm his torment. Madness reaches its zenith, and no longer caring about anything but holding his woman again in his arms, debased body or not, he heads back to the palace, fully intending to kill Commodus now.

Fate, or rather Commodus' revenge on losing the Caesar-ship, intercedes. A messenger from Trujillo, sent by his house slaves, finds Maximus just in time to inform him that his wife and child are missing. It instantly sobers the madness. And Maximus, torn now between his meeting with Caesar and Commodus regarding Diana's ownership in less than three days and his terror for his wife and son, immediately changes direction and turns to Quintus for help.

"I beg you, my friend. I cannot be here now. Will you stand in my stead and claim Diana for me when the time comes? Bring her to your home and keep her safe until I return?" - Forgive me, My Love. Your life is safe with Caesar and will remain safe with Quintus. I must find my wife and son. -

"Of course I will. Find your family. I pray they are unharmed. Diana will remain safe and untouched in my care when Caesar releases her from that beast. She is yours, my friend. My word your woman will be protected within my hearth."

"My thanks to you. I do ask that when you stand in my place, you do so quietly with Caesar. The entire city does not need to hear of my personal business."

With a nod of understanding by Quintus, they clasp arms in warmth, and Maximus races towards his home many days away as fast as he can. - Marcus knows I love her. I cannot doubt that he will give her to me through Quintus. She will be safe until I return. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The evening of the full moon comes, and Caesar, still looking quite ill, is sitting as comfortably as he can and is ready to make the proclamation regarding ownership of the slave named Diana. Quintus, who's been very busy with army matters while Maximus has been away, has not yet arrived. Commodus, himself, has been too busy enjoying his last days with Diana to pay little attention as to why Maximus has not been around, except to know that it probably has something to do with his family. And Caesar, due to his recent illness, has rarely left his bedchamber and seen few visitors.

Standing clothed in a tunic, although looking just as battered as ever, ready to fall with exhaustion, a still whole and alive Diana has been scanning the great hall for Maximus. - Where is he? Was I right? My body and hair repulse him now? Oh God! Could he really be that shallow? Not love me anymore? How could I be so wrong about him? Where is he?! -

Commodus, smiling a knowing smile that only one thing could have kept Maximus from being here, speaks loudly in front of the assembly. "Father, as Maximus has not shown, he has obviously relinquished his right to Diana. I wish to keep her, if you so choose."

- Where could he be? - Caesar is pondering. - He seemed so in love with the woman. Is this his way of showing he has changed his mind? I suppose I must let Diana stay with Commodus .... pity. - And slowly he stands, ready to make the disappointing announcement when Quintus rushes in, kneels and respectfully requests to speak in private with Caesar.

The army captain is allowed to walk with Caesar around the corner for privacy to explain why he is there, and, in less than a minute, Caesar understands the situation. "Diana will be given to you in holding for Maximus. I am very pleased. And have no fear; his wish for privacy regarding this distressing personal news will be honored." - May the Gods look over his family and he finds them well. -

"My thanks, My Lord," Quintus bows his head and steps back into the main hall to await the official decision.

Standing in front of the assembly again, Caesar is smiling this time. - I can give the woman to the man she truly belongs with. If his wife is in Elysium, he will need Diana more than ever. No matter how my son has taken to her, he will have to find another slave to amuse himself with. The boy has shown he has no true feelings for her with the way he has treated her while keeping to my decree of not taking her womanhood or bleeding her. Her lovely hair has been shorn, but it will grow once again, and any bruising and soreness of her soft skin will soon heal under Maximus' care. I will keep them apart no longer. -

Marcus does not know about the tattoos and piercings that have been carefully kept from him, hidden at all times beneath a tunic when outside of Commodus' private chambers. If he had known, if he had not been so ill that day Maximus had tried to see him, Diana would have been immediately released from Commodus and given back to Maximus, another over-stepping by his son that would not have been tolerated.

The royal mouth opens, ready to make the announcement to all, a final decision of ownership of Diana to Maximus through Quintus, when a horrible pain grips his heart and he stumbles, gasping for breath. One hand flailing while the other presses to his heart, his legs give out, and, with a final look of agony on his face, the Emperor dies, a natural death.

Destiny, cheated when Maximus saved Marcus from Commodus, has finally caught up to the last great Caesar of Rome. Time is back on track.

- I WIN! - is the son's first thought, as he quickly rushes to his father's side for a dutiful show of worry. - She is mine! I will not be Caesar, but what Maximus desires is MINE! -

The palace erupts in a furor, but nothing can be done to save the man. Quintus, not willing to wait for the Senate to take matters into their own hands, immediately dispatches a messenger to find Maximus. Also, for his friend, he fights to be heard above the commotion to make it known that Caesar had been about to give Diana back to Maximus. With no proof, however, and his only standing being an officer in the army, his shouts are paid little attention to by the senior politicians and palace dwellers, and he is made to leave the grounds frustrated at seeing that Diana has already been removed from sight.

- God, or whoever the fuck is up there, just screwed me over royally again. Maximus doesn't want me, and I will NOT waste one more tear over his two-faced bullshit admission of love. A good man died today, a man who was keeping me alive. I may as well just kill myself before Commodus can take my last piece of dignity. -

 

CHAPTER 21

After many days, Maximus finds his way to his homeland hearth, and, upon questioning his distraught slaves, he discovers that his wife and son were eventually found far out on his lands, crucified. Destiny, a vengeful bitch that does not like to be cheated by meddlesome mortals from the future, has also found his family.

Their bodies are wrapped tightly in linen and were laid to wait for their master's return. No time is wasted in hurrying his slaves out of the room to spend the day alone grieving over his loved ones, clutching his son to his breast and embracing his wife. Through the day and night they hear his cries of torment until the following morning when tears are dried and the empty bodies are silently carried to the most beautiful of his gardens. His face is impassive now. The only sound, from the shovel striking the dirt to prepare their grave.

Carefully, with trembling hands, he pulls the linen from their foreheads to lay one kiss on each before stepping out of the deep pit to finish the task. At the sound of the first dirt falling upon his son's body, however, a low moan escapes him, and he almost loses his legs in grief. - Nay, I will see them in Elysium. My Marius, My Maria, we will be together again one day. I pray you will forgive me for not having been here to protect you from my enemy. - There is no doubt in Maximus' mind that this is the work of Commodus. But unlike Commodus had hoped, Maximus will not lay the blame on Diana.

When the grave is filled, he kneels on the soft dirt, running his hands through it, committing to memory every agonizing sensation of this day, the final moment he will allow tears to be shed for some time. A look to the heavens, a low plea to the Gods to watch over them, a declaration of his love for them, and his silver wrist spousal bracelet is unfastened and placed firmly into the dirt.

The rest of the day is spent in quiet grief, as the new widower walks his orchards and gardens while making plans to depart at daybreak and return later with Diana. - Commodus has murdered my family and violated my home, as he has violated Diana. I will see him dead before I return here. Rome does not need me while Caesar lives. Diana will help bring healing to my heart and to my land. She will help me to honor their memory; memories I will share with her in my love for them. -

It's not until he's on his way back to Rome, weary with a broken heart, that the messenger from Quintus finds him with the news; a news that will turn a trip back to Rome that had started at a moderate pace, believing Diana to be safe with Quintus, into the fastest trip of Maximus' life.

"Greetings, General Maximus," the man lowers his head. "I have been sent by Captain Quintus with an important message for you."

"Speak," he grunts absently, in no mood for pleasantries.

"Our Lord Caesar has died. Your ex-concubine remains in the possession of Commodus."

"NOOOOOOOOO," the howl echoes through the countryside, hands clutching at his head from this further agony assaulting his already fractured soul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The one without a soul, back in Rome, is suffering his own unanticipated kind of agony. With Maximus, the new Protector of Rome, out of the City and all the extravagant funeral arrangements and pretend grieving to take care of, not to mention pressing state matters that always seem to be urgent whether they are or not, Commodus finds he has little time to play with Diana. Day after day, night after night, he is kept busier than he ever thought possible, and he is actually beginning to wish that his father were alive to take charge of such mundane trivialities again.

The funeral is a week-long event, and Commodus is made to give many speeches and appearances in his father's memory. He hates every moment of it. The man may not hold imperial power, but he is still considered royalty, expected to help with state matters, and he is being allowed to live with his sister in the palace with rooms held aside for Maximus when he returns to Rome.

Maximus may have wanted his family's disappearance kept quiet for the sake of his personal privacy, but news travels quickly from bed to bed, thanks to the gossip of Lady Helena and her circle of concubines. Unfortunately, Diana is kept so secluded from everything, alone much of the time and chained to the man's bed, that she never hears of this news and continues to grow with resentment that Maximus would desert her. Of course, it also helped her state of isolation that Commodus had made sure to very subtly threaten the palace staff with severe repercussions if his slave were to ever hear of any news concerning her ex-master.

The time comes, however, the next week when Commodus has finished with his exhausting public grieving, the funeral matters are over, and has decided that now is the time to finally take the woman's virginity. "Today I will have you," he tells her with a pet on her head, as he leaves the very secure garden to have dinner with his sister and state officials.

- Thanks for the warning, but no you won't, - she decides, as she continues walking through the garden, the only time allowed outside to enjoy the sun. - I'm no coward. I'm not! There's just no reason to stay alive anymore. Besides, I'll never find a way home chained to this monster. Maybe death in this time will somehow bring me back to mine, back to my family I miss so much ... Goodbye Maximus. You were wrong. You ARE a typical man, although a good one in some ways, I gotta admit. And because of that, I can't hate you, not really. I want to, but I can't. I'm just glad I'll never see you again. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Returning from dinner, Commodus finds Diana unconscious, dying from the poisonous plant she had eaten in an attempt to put an end to the heartbreak and horror of the nightmare she had not been able to wake from. The small lone plant had been discovered during one of her daily walks, and she had been sure to keep note of its location for a time she may have need of it. With her mother an avid gardener, Diana had spent many years learning what could and could not be eaten, and when she had first laid eyes on that plant many days ago, she had almost seen it as a sign, a sign to go home. Only her desire, at the time, to be with Maximus again, had kept her from using it.

"BRING THE PHYSICIAN!" Commodus barks, making a show of lifting her himself and carrying her off to his chamber.

Hours later, Diana is still alive. Swiftly determined by the best physician in Rome that it was a poisoning attempt, her stomach was quickly emptied of its contents. "I won't let you rape me," she gasps through the pain before falling back into blessed unconsciousness.

Commodus is mortified that she has said such a thing in front of so many people. "So much to do since Father died," he stumbles out the explanation. "Never enough hours in the day. So many demands, so many tasks to perform. No time to even bed my beautiful slave properly."

"Perhaps, if she lives," the physician offers a thought, "you should consider making her de-flowering a calming ritual, something the whole palace can participate in. These somber walls could use the uplifting of such a life-affirming event after our beloved Caesar's death. People would find it comforting, and, perhaps, the woman would also be calmed by the prospect of being prepared by matrons first."

- That would mean waiting until the full moon, - the ever-scheming mind thinks carefully first before replying. - 'Tis what Maximus, himself, had planned to do. Imagine what he will think when he discovers that I had her prepared in such an honoring way for my own enjoyment. That not only did I take her purity, I took it to the people's approval! They so love their rituals, and I will be the man to give them one they will not soon forget. ... A celebration! Diana will be named my Royal Consort! Elevate her status while remaining as my property. Prayers will be said in our names! Offerings to the Gods made that she conceives a royal heir on her first mating! Our joining will be the talk of the Capitol! .. That pleases me. -

"Very well," he tells the physician. "I will inform the palace staff of this virtuous event to look forward to." -'Tis many days away, but there is still time before Maximus returns. He will not show here before I can take her. -

Two days later, when Diana is lucid again, she is told of her 'reprieve'. The woman is also quite fortunate that the knowledge by all that she will be named Royal Consort has saved her from having to endure more than a brief private beating for her attempt to escape by taking her life. Otherwise, it was quite obvious to her that Commodus would have done far worse in punishment. Diana's new status, Royal Consort-To-Be, has given her the protection needed from further atrocities that Caesar had given her when alive.

- Plan all you want, you little fucker. I'll find another way out of this before the full moon. You Romans and your stupid little archaic rituals. You can stuff them all up your fucking ass! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All this time Lucilla has been struggling with her conscious. She had overheard Quintus informing her father of Maximus' wish to claim Diana, and not long after, Quintus had approached her, hoping that her fondness for Maximus and her father would make her want to help in some way. To make matters worse for her conscious, she had found out during one of her brother's nightly ravings in her private chamber, where he often sleeps in her arms like the child he is, that he had sent loyal men of his to murder the family of Maximus.

It pains her, pains her greatly at knowing an innocent woman and child were killed over jealousy. But it also gives Lucilla hope; hope that if Commodus takes Diana, and Maximus is already grieving from the loss of his wife, that he will easily turn to find comfort in his old lover's arms. - This may be my one chance to be with him again. But why do I think, by the looks I have seen in his eyes, that Maximus will either kill Commodus for the woman or die trying? I will lose him or my brother forever because of her. Commodus may be mad, but he has never harmed my beautiful son Lucius or I in any way. He takes care of us and loves us. I give him familial comfort that he could not find with Father. He will have to choose another as Royal Consort. If Diana is here when Maximus returns, one of them will surely die. I only wish I had found the courage to do this sooner. I must make haste now. The full moon is tomorrow, and Maximus could be here soon after. -

"Diana," she whispers to the lone body in Commodus' chamber late that night.

Her brother has already fallen asleep in her bed, worn out after further agitations of public comparisons of him to his father. Lady Lucilla does not know that only the fact that Commodus can relieve himself with Diana in all ways but one has kept the man from forcing himself on her. His obsession with Diana, due to his hatred of Maximus, has helped mask the sick desire he feels for his own sister.

"If I release you," she continues to the large green eyes, wide with surprise at seeing her at this time of night, "what will you do?"

- Look for Maximus and kick his ass for not coming for me! - the very pissed-off slave is tempted to say. Instead, however, reason prevails. "If you can get me five horses, food and water, I can leave Roman lands forever." - Just need horsepower to pull my chopper outta that marsh! I might be able to get her to fly again if I can get her on level ground! Thank God Max never had time to do anything to her! In that area, there's a good chance no one's even found her! -

"You would not run to Maximus?" Lucilla questions, needing to be sure.

"God no!" Diana protests. "Why bother? He obviously doesn't want me anymore."

Lucilla is not about to dispute that erroneous statement. She knows that Commodus made sure Diana would never hear of anything regarding Maximus' need to leave the City, and there is no way she will tell her anything, herself, and risk Diana wanting to run back to her protector. "I will get you what you need," she nods in agreement, quickly unlocking the chain using the key lifted from her brother's garments while he slept.

Into another chamber they run, and Diana immediately pulls the leash off her neck, breaking it easily as she always knew it would. Off next are the nipple rings, bronze collar and chains. Only the ring in her womanhood remains until Lucilla sighs dramatically and lowers herself to remove it for her, leaving Diana's body free of everything but the tattoos now.

Men's garments are found, and with a little dirt smudged onto her face, the perfume washed from her body and her short hair upon her head, the runaway slave should hopefully be seen as a young man in the darkness. "Commodus will have a fit when he finds me missing," she worries for Lucilla, as they creep through the palace.

"Do not fear for me. He will have no way of knowing for sure it was I that released you. And I know well how to handle my brother."

"Not that I'm not grateful and all, but why are you doing this?"

"That is none of your business, Slave," Lucilla answers her quite harshly.

- OK! Subject dropped! Don't want ya changing your mind on me now! - And off they run again to exit the palace this time, almost free when they spot the night patrol heading towards them. Without a second thought, Lucilla grabs tight to Diana, pulling her into a corner to kiss her loudly. And although startled, Diana understands, wrapping her own arms around the woman in an attempt to move her body as a man would during a passionate embrace.

It works.

As soon as the clatter of footsteps recedes down the long hallway, they're outside at the royal stable, where Lucilla easily distracts the lone guard long enough for Diana to pull out horses and disappear into the City. Colonel Diana Meridus is now officially an escaped slave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What neither Lucilla or Commodus had counted on was how determined Maximus was to arrive back in the Capitol as humanly fast as possible after hearing the news of Caesar's death and Diana's continued possession by Commodus. He has slept for only minutes a night, and instead of arriving several days later like expected, the enraged man arrives in the palace at mid-morn of the day of the full moon.

Commodus, having just awakened in Lucilla's bed, enters his own chamber ......

"COMMODUS!!!" from The Spaniard

"DIANA!!!" from the son of Caesar

.... are the simultaneous explosions blasting throughout the palace.


Within moments, his guards enter the chamber with news that General Maximus is being detained in the front hall, barely. - Maximus? Here already?! He has taken her from me! -

"WHERE IS SHE?" both men scream at the sight of the other, as five men continue to hold Maximus back, and two others quickly secure holds on the royal.

Curses ensue from each side. Words bellowed with every ounce of profanity known to Roman men, until it is finally determined that neither knows where Diana has gone. A stalemate.

His priority first and foremost on finding his woman safe before exacting revenge, Maximus rushes to his home, praying that she would have somehow been able to find her way there to hide. Soon, though, he discovers she did not, and having no idea where else she could be, he flies once again into a rage of despair, collapsing eventually in utter exhaustion. The body, no matter how prime, has reached it's limit, and Maximus proceeds to sleep so heavily through the rest of the day and into the next day's late afternoon, that he does not even feel the bare body of Cicero come and go from his bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waking that afternoon to see the sun setting, he automatically turns with arousal towards the warm body curled up by his side, forgetting in the twilight of half-wakefulness that it would not be Diana. "Cicero?" he says with surprise. "I did not call for you." - Diana, My Love, I will search for you until I can walk no more. -

"Forgive me, Master. I felt you would need the comfort of a familiar body during your much needed sleep; a body," and he reaches out boldly to grasp his master's hardness, "that you would wish to make use of when you awoke."

"Cicero," he groans, touching with affection the youthful face so close to his. "I thought I had made it known without words on the journey from Germania that I no longer require your flesh in this way. There is no need for you to offer yourself to me. You have my permission to share pleasures now with any willing partner you desire."

"Master, please," he cries softly, stroking the length firmly. "I offer myself to you because I wish it. Not because it was ever required of me. It has always been something I wished. Never a duty."

A combined sigh of frustration mixed with a groan of long-awaited need moves through the man, as he allows the boy to continue pleasuring him while he thinks. Maximus simply has no desire to hurt a slave that, up until Diana, was always a wonderful companion for him in every way he required during wartime. His heart always knew that the boy was more than willing, but hearing it out loud now is making it even more difficult to do what he must ...... officially end their physical relationship. - I will find Diana some day. I know I will. The Gods have been cruel, but they have also brought us together through time and will do so again. I have faith in our love. -

"I am sorry Cicero," he murmurs quietly, running the fingers of one hand through the soft hair on the earnest face, as the other hand gently pushes the boy from his groin. Cicero, who had immediately leaned his head into the caress, gasps slightly at hearing a free Roman actually apologize to a slave. "But I love Diana," he continues. "I only wish to be with her."

The face trembles, tears coming to his eyes. "And she will come with us where ever we go? Not stay in Trujillo with your wife?"

"My family is dead, murdered," Maximus grunts with a barely restrained tone of anguished pain. "Diana is missing, and I am leaving today to find her."

Cicero may be happy that Diana is gone, but he is shocked and sickened at hearing of innocent deaths. Reaching out to embrace Maximus, his familiar soothing warmth is pulled into the larger man's arms, a man who needs the embrace as much as Cicero, but for different reasons. For Maximus, it is only an embrace of compassion and friendship, and the moment the boy's lips are felt moving upon his neck, he gently moves away to exit the bed. - Diana. No other. -

Tears fall down the slave's cheeks, watching Maximus dress, but he is smart enough to know that he had better not reach out again in any way or any remaining affection from his master is likely to turn to anger. - I pray he never finds her and returns to me in time. I pray he never forgets what I can do for him. -

Maximus will never forget, and he will never regret. In thirty years he desired to take only one man; one man for a very specific reason. And now that reason exists no more. He is sure of Diana's love for him, and Diana is enough. She is all he will touch no matter how long he must wait to touch her again. And Cicero, once touched with the heated need of lust, will now only be touched with the warm need of fellowship, kept close in his heart to be cherished and protected, a friend within his hearth.

With a nod of his head, Maximus departs the chamber alone to strengthen himself with food and determine how best to go about searching the City first. While he is eating, Quintus arrives, hearing of his return and hoping to help in some way. Heart-felt condolences are soon given to Maximus upon hearing the tragic news, and the men then speak of the death of Caesar and the situation it caused with Diana, a situation that shocks Maximus even further. - My Love is still pure? Commodus was to make her his Royal Consort last night? If she had not escaped first, I would have stormed the palace with my army to stop such an obscenity! -

"Quintus, did Lucilla say she would help me when you told her of Caesar's final wish?"

"Nay, she only thanked me for the information. I do not know if she had any plans to make use of it for your behalf."

- She knew I would return for Diana if she knew Quintus was there in my stead. Did she release Diana because she still wishes to be with me? Or did she do so to protect Commodus and I from each other? . No matter. I am sure she is the one that freed Diana. And if so, she may well know where she is. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where is she?" he corners Lucilla in an outer hall that evening.

"How would I know?" she tries to feign disinterest. "You and Commodus must learn to keep better track of your slaves."

"Lucilla," he warns. "I know you had something to do with this."

"That .... that SLAVE does not wish to be with you! And how can you still want her marked as such by Commodus?"

"I want her because I love her!"

"As you used to love me," her voice lowers with resigned bitterness.

"Aye, I once did. But that fond memory of first love will fast grow to hatred if you do not help me, Lucilla. Tell me what happened or I will count you as my enemy."

Fearing his wrath, not at all ready to lose his affection, she tells him everything. "I beg you to understand! I released her only so that you and Commodus would not kill each other over her. Please Maximus. I love you both so much. She only wanted horses, food and water and said she would be able to leave Roman lands forever. 'Twas the perfect solution!"

Maximus is furious. But he knows it is not a fury entirely to be lain upon Lucilla, and it is much easier to believe her excuse, a need to protect him and her brother out of unselfish love. His hand touches her face in sorrow, lightly cupping her cheek, and she immediately places her hand over his, closely entwining her fingers. "Do you hate me now, My Maximus?" she breathes up at him, her other hand brushing at the hair on his brow.

"Nay, My Lady," he sighs. "I have loved you too greatly for that. I will always care for you."

"No longer love?"

"I am sorry, Lucilla. My wife and child are gone from me. My heart belongs only to Diana now. Our time has past. Please accept it."

"I cannot," she denies quietly, staring at him with tear-filled eyes.

"You must," he murmurs, leaning down to place a gentle kiss on her lips. "Farewell."

"Never," she promises to his back, watching him walk away.

"I heard it all, you traitorous bitch," Commodus snarls quietly, stepping up from behind her. "Tis obvious my slave is trying to go back to the land from whence she came. She will return with me or die." And as fast as he can, Commodus brings all his loyal guards together, leaving the City within the hour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maximus, not knowing that Commodus is also on her trail, makes three stops first. One to his villa to retrieve what is left of her strange things, save one small reminder for himself. - If Diana truly wishes to leave Roman lands forever, I will not stop her. 'Tis her choice to make. But I must see her once more, if only to return what rightfully belongs to her. And maybe, if the Gods favor us this time, I will be able to convince her of my love for her ... that I do not find her repulsive as I fear she believes I do ... that I would have stayed in the City to claim her if I had been able to. Gods, make her believe me and stay with me. I cannot leave Rome to be with her elsewhere. I swore to Caesar I would protect Rome, and I will return to keep that promise ... even if it means my soul must die in Germania. -

The next stop is to Quintus to inform his most trusted friend of where he will be for some time and ask of him to keep an eye on his hearth; a household that will continue to be run in daily matters by Cicero. The third and final stop is to The Senate, where news of his family's death has already reached their night session. Maximus must now spend much time accepting their condolences, all the while trying to make them understand that he will not remain in the City until he has taken care of one last personal matter.

It is hours lost he will soon regret.



CHAPTER 22

Diana, although knowing the trip back to Germania is many days, rides fast with a foreboding feeling that she has to get away from Rome as swiftly as she can. Being that she is a much less accomplished rider than most, though, and pulling four other horses along behind her, the day comes when she finds herself overtaken not far from her chopper by Commodus and his men.

"NO! NO! NO!" she screams, as they pull her off the horse and hold her still.

"An escaped slave," Commodus grins mercilessly. "First, I will take you, right here and now. Then, I will cut your finger off, perhaps two. I no longer desire you as my Royal Consort. You will pleasure me on this ground and pleasure my men."

"You can cut them all off!" she shrieks in fury. "I'll never stop running, you sick bastard!!"

"And I will enjoy hunting you again," he snarls, as he crushes his mouth to hers.

"COMMODUS!" comes the thundering roar from Maximus, cresting over a nearby hill. Maximus had been sure he would reach Diana in time, that even with her head start she could not outrun him when he is quite used to long days of hard riding with very little sleep between. It was not until he realized that others were on her trail, that his desperation to see her again had turned absolutely frantic with worry.

All heads turn in astonishment as the enraged man, a vision of Avenging Angel in Diana's mind, races his steed down the hill towards them, his sword held high.

Not about to be any where near that sword when it comes down, Commodus scrambles behind Diana, sticking a dagger against her throat, as his men withdraw their swords to stand in a tight group nearby, ready to protect him if necessary. "HALT MAXIMUS!" Commodus cries out as loud as he can, "OR I WILL SEVER THIS WOMAN'S HEAD FROM HER BODY!"

Maximus, although prepared to fight them all and die, sees the dagger at his loved one's throat now and yanks hard on the reigns for the horse to come to a skidding halt. In a heartbeat, he has jumped down and stalked over to Commodus and Diana. With one eye on Commodus, his sword still in his hand, his other hand whips out the flare gun that he had taken from Diana's belongings and shoots directly into the group of Praetorians.

Bright lights and sharp screeching noises accompanies it, as he shoots over and over until half of the men are on fire or dead. Even Maximus didn't know what to expect when he pulled the trigger, having only assumed it would be similar to the weapons they had used once before. Now he is glad he was wrong. When his finger no longer brings forth a magical fireball of death, he drops it to the ground and turns his full attention back onto Commodus.

Commodus and his men are in shock, to say the least. And Diana, never believing that Maximus would have thought to bring the one flare gun she had is close to laughing hysterically at the absurdity of the way he was able to take out so many men. - Not like I needed it anyways! Woulda been like the Titanic shooting their flares off and no one around to care! -

The dagger is loosening against her throat, and feeling that now is her best chance, she shoves the arm away from her, turns around and punches Commodus solidly in the face, knocking him out. Not even waiting for Maximus, who she is sure will follow; Diana jumps on her horse, pulling the others behind her and gallops towards the chopper. - With Commodus out like a light, got some time before those guards come after us. Not much, but maybe just enough. Can't stay here. Still too many left for Max to fight and be sure of winning. Got one idea left. -

"I have an idea!" she shouts to him, as he comes astride her.

"I would expect you do!" he shouts back. - You will never cease to amaze me. If we die, we die together. -

With tremendous relief, Diana soon sees that the chopper has not been touched from its remote spot. - Dear God, please let me power it up, even if it never flies again! I just need power! -

"They are coming," he says only minutes later, almost calmly, as he watches her touch and swear at all the unusual things in the 'chariot'. Although Maximus doesn't understand most of the English muttered curse words, it does not escape his notice. - My Love has a foul mouth like any soldier. Yet, it does not displease me in the least. I can accept that she was a high command soldier, and she will always have my respect for that, even if she does not wish my love. -

"Max, you have to trust me," she suddenly turns from the pilot's seat, as the engine roars to life.

"I trust you, Diana," he immediately answers, although struggling with himself not to run from the unnatural noise surrounding him now. - With my life. I know you will not betray me. -

"Good. Now stand thirty feet in front of the chopper and do whatever you have to do to get those guys to surround you. And then wait for me to yell duck." - If he has a problem with me giving orders now, we're both gonna die! -

"Duck?" he queries, looking up at the sky, not the slightest bit upset anymore that the woman is ordering him to do something like he once would have been.

Diana is trying not to chuckle now. That quizzical expression on his face, searching the sky for a duck, is almost too much for her to handle. But the seriousness of what she is about to try holds it within, and she quickly explains to the naturally confused man what she meant by 'duck' and what exactly he has to do when she yells it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The remaining guards are coming into sight with Commodus behind them like the coward he is. Diana is in the chopper, engine running, although she still can't get the rotors to turn and lift from the marsh. - Gotta get Max to try to bend that drive shaft metal back in place later if we survive this. Never be able to do it by myself. -

Maximus, his eyes only on the men coming towards him, stands where Diana told him to and slowly draws his sword in challenge. Although the guards are nervous about the strange beastly looking thing behind Maximus where they can see the female sitting, they do not hesitate to dismount and walk into the water.

"Time to die, Maximus!" Commodus shouts from the safety of distance on his horse. "And then I will take my slave back."

"I do not think so!" he shouts back, steadying his sword to fell the first man that makes a move.

"DUCK!" Diana yells from the chopper, and Maximus flattens himself into the marsh, holding his breath like she instructed within the mud and water that barely covers him with only inches to spare.

WHOOSH! Two rockets lance out from the chopper directly into the guards; massive carnage exploding, men burning so fast they fall as blackened pieces around Maximus into the marsh. And when Maximus can no longer hold his breath, still feeling the intense heat scorching through the water onto his back, his face breaks the surface, and he sprints for his life towards the chopper, seeing but not quite believing the god-like destruction that Diana has wrecked upon the remaining men loyal to Commodus.

Commodus, thrown from his terrified horse, is shrieking in fear and runs off into the trees in the direction they came from. He won't get far. Once Maximus can see that Diana is safe, he makes to go after him, stopping only when Diana jumps from the chopper and grabs onto his arm. "Release me. I must kill him now."

"No," her hand grips tighter, although she knows full well he can tear away whenever he wants. "As much as I'd like to see him dead too, please let him go. He's not supposed to die in Germania. You saved Marcus, and then he died anyways. I ... I just don't think you should kill Commodus or something even worse will happen if you do. I can't explain it. Please trust me. Besides, if all his guards are dead, can he really be of any danger to you?"

"He was never a danger to me," Maximus snorts. "Only to what I hold dear. The rest of the palace guards are my men. Without the support of his followers, he cannot harm you now. The Senate and the palace staff will listen to me," his hand reaches out to touch her. "Your status will be changed again."

Wounding him, she pulls out of his reach. "Why? I know you're a good man, but you already showed me how you felt about me when you didn't come to claim me. Why would you care about my status now?"

"Diana," he says softly, baring his heart to her. "I could not."

And soon Diana understands all that happened that Commodus and Lucilla had kept from her. "I'm so sorry, Max," she cries in pain at his loss. "And there I was feeling all sorry for myself that you didn't want me after .... after ...," her voice trails, looking down at herself.

A touch to her cheek, fingers caressing her face, and this time she doesn't pull away. - Oh Max. You lost your wife and child, and I was worried about what you thought of my hair and a couple tattoos? God, I'm such an idiot! -

"Diana," he assures her. "You did not know. Do not feel badly. Your body DID fill me with disgust, what that mad man did to you, but it NEVER turned my heart away. I want you in my bed as much now as ever before."

Her face slowly turns with a small smile. "We'll see. You promised to make me a citizen. Let me choose my own lover as a free woman would. Can I count on you?" - As much as I want you, I can't forget I'm still a slave and need citizenship. Free me, Max, and we'll go from there. Take me as a slave, and I'll never forgive you. -

"Aye," his hand drops with a smile of his own. "I will keep my promise and pray that you choose me for the honor."

"And if I don't?" - I gotta know! Just need to be clear on this with him! -

"I warn you now," he says quite seriously. "I will likely kill any man you choose, but I will never force myself upon you. Once you are citizen, I can NOT force you or suffer greatly for the crime."

"Oh, is that why you won't?" she asks, struggling to keep her voice neutral. "Because you fear the punishment for forcing a citizen of Rome?"

"Nay, My Lady. I will not because I love you."

So very badly Diana is tempted to say it back, sure that she feels it too, and seeing the hopeful look on his face, knowing he wants to hear it from her, is almost enough, but not quite. No matter how she feels about him, a large part of Diana is still desperate to go home, to be with her family and friends again, or, at least, be given the choice to decide between the two time periods. She can't help but be afraid that if she actually says it out loud, declares her love loud and clear, she'll be forever trapping herself in this time and given no choice, that maybe if she refuses to announce her love for him and stays strong, as if to pass some sort of test by keeping her heart firmly in the future, then she will be eventually rewarded the opportunity to find a way home.

"Well," she says with a sigh, turning from those intense eyes daring her to fall into them and profess her love. "I'm really not up for riding anymore. If I'm going back to Rome, I want to try to get this baby flying again, put the fucking fear of God in any more enemies you got back there."

He laughs at the thought of it, easily shaking off the feeling of disappointment that she did not return out loud her love for him. - 'Tis there, - he thinks calmly. - She is just being stubborn, as usual. I will earn from her the right to hear it. I will make her want to say it. - And with no fear of anyone coming after them like she had felt before when she had run from Maximus in the past, Diana can take her time now checking every part of the chopper to try to get it fully flight ready again.

Maximus uses the time to rig the horses in a way to use their strength to pull it free from the marsh, and as Diana had hoped, it works. With further help from him in doing what she says, as she checks more instruments and he reports to her on what they are doing, although not at all understanding it, of course, and, most importantly, the use of his greater muscle to correct bent metal from the crash, the rotor assembly comes back to operational status, the chopper ready to lift.

The horses are led further away, safe in the forest glens with food and water, and Maximus is quite relieved now that he did not bring his favorite war horse on this ride, that he had left the stallion behind for much needed rest from the trip to Trujillo and back. He's looking at the chopper, humming in straining motion, feeling the wind from the blades whipping above them. "How do I ride in such a thing?" he asks with a touch of fear in his voice.

Smiling quickly, to show him not to worry, in minutes Diana has him sitting and buckled into the co-pilot's seat. - Damn, no helmet for him, and mine is gone too .... Oh well. - she shrugs, moving back around to climb into the pilot's seat when a loud groan is heard from the marsh. One of the men is still alive, although badly burnt.

"Leave him, Diana!" Maximus shouts, straining against the harness and ready to cut through it with his dagger.

"No," she replies and unbuckles him to assist her. "Help me get him in the back. I've got burn supplies in the box of my stuff you brought. It's not much, but it may keep him alive until we get back to Rome."

"Why would you want to help him? He would have killed us both. A man such as that deserves no mercy."

"I know. I can't explain it, but killing isn't done quite so easily in my time by decent people. Believe me, we can kill just fine and dandy when necessary and with weapons of mass destruction like you couldn't imagine. But most, unfortunately not all, of the people in charge of those weapons think differently than soldiers and leaders do in your time. The world has changed in that way, although, sometimes, I don't think it's changed enough or we wouldn't need the weapons to begin with. Anyways, if the guy dies, fine, but I can't let a defenseless wounded man die without trying to help him first, enemy or not."

"I will say it again," he sighs, as he lifts the man for her. "I am glad I do not live in your time." - I would give aid to anyone but an enemy such as this, a man who swore allegiance to a monster and watched you beaten and raped. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone aboard, and the chopper lifts, although Maximus is beginning to wish he had kept a horse to ride instead. He's gripping the seat in obvious terror, his face turning white from seeing the ground move further and further away, and Diana, understanding what a person of this time must be feeling, squeezes his thigh lightly for just a moment, before turning back to the controls.

At the touch, his head whips around to her, his eyes wide with fright at the power a mortal commands, but when he sees how calm the woman is, smiling reassuringly at him, fear departs and Maximus relaxes. Watching her now, commanding such an awesome 'chariot' of something unto the Gods themselves would fly, the ancient Roman feels a bursting of even more respect for the amazing woman he was fortunate to find and fall in love with.

To lighten the mood, Diana tries a joke. "So, what do you think of my new haircut?"

"I do not like it," he answers without hesitation.

- Direct to the point, as usual, - she chuckles to herself. "Me either. Commodus only did it to hurt you."

"Aye, it did. But it matters not now. Hair will grow. I can grip your hair in passion, short or long."

"Is EVERYTHING about sex with you?" she laughs out loud.

"Nay," he laughs back. "Well, aye," his eyes lower to her chest. "Perhaps."

- Great, - she thinks with a roll of her eyes. - He'll be forever on my ass for sex. Although, I guess I can't do much better in this time than the fucking Protector of Rome. He's kind, rich, handsome as hell, and he says he loves me. I think he really does. So if I really AM stuck here, I think I'll just make the most of it now. Give him what we both want once I'm a citizen. .. When in Rome! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Commodus!" they both suddenly shout at spotting him below in a meadow, running as though the hounds of hell are after him.

They are .. barbarians, hot on his trail. - Should leave him! - she thinks. - Deserves what he gets! - But that streak of modern humanity within is not about to let her, and before she can talk herself out of it, the chopper is swooping low in an effort to save the only son of Caesar, a man she truly respected.

Diana's warning be damned at this point, if Commodus comes near the chopper, Maximus will cut him down. It was one thing to allow the man to flee into the forest, but it is something else entirely to allow him within ten feet of the woman he loves. Watching silently with gritted teeth, his dagger ready to cut the harness and jump out to slay the man, Maximus finds he doesn't have to; the barbarians are taking care of it for him. Over and over the three within the chopper watch the grisly spectacle of Commodus being felled by swords and axes, his royal blood spraying, as his mouth opens and closes with agonizing screams. The son of Caesar is dead. Destiny has struck again.

With the chopper so low to the ground now, the barbarians scatter, and it gives them just enough time to retrieve the body for his sister and fly on. It's the least they can do for her. But there is another matter on Maximus' mind to contemplate, a matter that could become difficult politically when back in Rome. Turning in his seat, he speaks directly to the wounded man in the back for the first time. "We are attempting to save you by bringing you back to Rome with us. Will you betray me by saying that Commodus died by my hand?" - I wish it had been! But I trusted Diana's judgment, and perhaps the Gods and public will be appeased that I was not the one to spill the blood of our beloved Caesar after all. -

"Nay," the man rasps. "And I will not die surrounded by falsehood. Commodus had no true claim on the female. Quintus should have been allowed to claim her in your stead as Caesar wished. If the Gods allow me to live long enough, I will unburden my soul to The Senate before Hades takes me."

- Christ, it'll be a miracle if I can keep him alive 'til we get there. Flying like this will cut probably two-thirds of the travel time off, but it's still gonna be days. Good thing I have plenty of fuel and reserves in the back. Sucks there's no time to teach Max to fly. Bet he could even handle it! Pretty damn smart for a man who's never even seen a bra! -

Flying through the rest of the day and night, no rest is taken until the mid-morn of the next day; a quick stop for water and food and off they go again until Diana can keep her eyes open no more and must stop for a few very short hours that second night. Maximus, although exhausted too, does not sleep when she does. Fear of being attacked by marauders, or even the wounded Praetorian, keeps his eyes open while they're on the ground. But once they're in the air again, he immediately closes his eyes and finds rest, feeling much more comfortable in the chopper now and fully trusting that his life is safe in her hands. During this time, neither Diana or Maximus seriously consider thoughts of being intimate in any way with each other, as it is a mad race to get back to the City, and both are simply too exhausted to share even a kiss with a dead man and a dying man in back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days later on a beautiful sunny morning, they land on the high plaza directly in front of The Senate building. People are running and screaming in fear, and Diana can't help but smirk a little in superiority at thinking of the way she has been treated since coming to Rome. - Couple more rockets and I could take out the palace! Show their asses what a fucking slave woman can REALLY do! -

By now, Maximus knows how to work his own harness, and he quickly jumps out, lifts the almost dead man and shouts for a physician. One timidly steps forth from the awed crowd, takes one look at the burns and shakes his head. The Praetorian, knowing he is soon to die, makes his confession, including the fact that it was Commodus who did indeed send assassins to murder the general's family.

A look to Lady Lucilla, who is nodding her head sorrowfully in confirmation of the tragedy, and the Assembly continues to hear the words of the dying man. With his last breath, he tells them that Maximus had killed many men with a strange weapon and that Diana had killed many more with the winged 'chariot', but they were not responsible for the death of Commodus, whose broken body has been brought back from his fatal encounter with savages.

"Nooooo," Lucilla moans and rushes to the now quiet chopper to embrace her brother. And Maximus, seeing her grief, immediately turns to comfort his old lover, holding her in his arms, as she cries loudly against him.

The Senators, knowing a decision must be made quickly regarding the seriousness of everything before public eyes force a decision they may not agree with, soon turn to their lead Senator to discuss the matter with Maximus. "General Maximus, we commend you for returning the body of Caesar's son. It will allow the public to witness the proper funeral a man of his status deserves. In regards to the deaths of the royal guards, we do understand that Commodus wrongfully enslaved your property. Because of this, we feel you were within your rights to slay his men that were trying to prevent you from claiming what was yours. The female, however, is another matter. She has no rights. She is a slave, and she has murdered Roman citizens. The female must be punished."

"NAY!" he roars, moving away from Lucilla to stand by Diana. "I am responsible for her! I am her master! Any punishment due is mine!"

"Maximus," the lead Senator says very quietly. "Do not do this. You are beloved. Let her take the punishment. If she survives the Coliseum, she is yours again."

"NAY!" he snarls in absolute refusal, as he steps in front of her. "I will fight in the Coliseum." - No woman, not even Diana, could survive there! -

Not many men either ... especially a man who was destined to die there. And if those Powers Above that brought Diana back through time do not deign to protect this marked man, then Destiny will be allowed to rear her ugly head once again, and the final piece of the game will be claimed.


CHAPTER 23

"Wait a minute!" Diana interrupts. "No one fights my battles for me!"

"BE SILENT!" Maximus turns to bellow at her.

"Max! You know I can fight!" she tries to protest.

"SLAVE!" he roars and backhands her, completely losing his temper from sheer exhaustion and overwhelming emotional distress.

Diana falls with a shocked cry to the ground, and his furious eyes bore down on her; furious in fear for her life that she would be so foolishly stubborn and not let him protect her from something she is ill-equipped to handle. Slowly standing, her own eyes matching the fire in his, she spits blood at his feet. - Fucking asshole! Got me as his slave again! It was all just a fucking lie to get me back here! -

"Escort her to my home," he tells his men. "And guard the chariot."

Everyone quickly nods their head, ready to obey The Protector of Rome, until the lead Senator speaks up once more. "If you insist on taking her punishment, the match will begin at mid-day, but the slave must wait in a secure cell until her fate has been decided. If you die, so shall she. If you live, she will be released into your possession again."

"No! This is insane! Don't die for me, Max! Let me fight!" she cries futilely, as they drag her away and Maximus deliberately turns his back on her.

Her shouts of protest soon turn to insulting obscenities, and Maximus looks to the sky wearily. - I will beg her forgiveness for striking her. After all this time, the woman still does not understand when she MUST hold her tongue in public. She would not silence herself! No matter how well she can take a man or two, she would never live facing what she would be pitted against for the public sport of it. I may not, myself. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within the cell, deep below The Senate building, a guard brings her food, water and a basin of soapy water to clean herself with. "Woman, your master has also ordered that you are to remove the man's garments and wear this slave tunic." Diana doesn't know that Maximus had actually tried to have a stola brought to her, but was denied, as she will not be considered a lady concubine again until their bond has been renewed, assuming he lives.

She's glaring at the guard, considering refusing, but, deciding it's not worth it, she quickly cleans and switches clothes, as the man looks away. The guard certainly didn't have to avert his eyes, but knowing full well who she is to the great man he worships, he is trying to treat her with as much respect as he can.

"Please," she says, at seeing that the man has given her that small privacy. "Will they really kill me if Maximus dies?"

"Aye, you will be executed."

"And if he lives? They'll just forget this whole thing and leave us alone?"

"Aye. If the general lives, you will be free to return to him."

"Not so sure I want to now," she mutters to herself. "But now that I've thought about it, Max can take on any man they throw at him. He'll live." - and then we'll have some fucking words about that slap! -

"Man? The general is not fighting a man. He will be fighting three great wild cats from Africanus in only one more hour."

"Oh My God! Tigers!" she gasps, picturing all those deadly fangs and claws slicing through his flesh. - No wonder he wanted to fight in my place! No wonder he slapped me to shut me and my big mouth up! No way I could've taken on a tiger. Three?! I'd be dead in a minute! Oh God, HE'LL be dead in a minute! - "Has Maximus ever fought large animals before?" she asks, trying hard to keep the panic out of her voice.

"Nay. The general is not a gladiator, but he is highly skilled with the sword. There is a chance he will survive to claim you."

- Of course he's not a gladiator! He's a battle soldier! An army officer! I .... I should've told him I loved him! I should have just come right out and said it back when I had the chance! Now he's gonna die! Oh God, I'm gonna be sick! - And her stomach begins to heave so badly in fear for his life that she has to grab the waste bucket and retch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maximus is spending the time eating, trying to rest, being massaged and working out his muscles in preparation for what he knows he will be facing. He wants to see Diana, but he knows he is too worked up now, anger still inflaming him at how she would not listen to him on the Senate's steps, that he decides, after much thought, to let it be. Let the Gods decide if they should see each other again this day. - She tells me in Germania that I must trust her, and I did without a thought. But she will not trust ME to know what is best in Rome! -

In front of witnesses he quickly fills out paperwork assuring that if he should die, that Diana will be executed humanely and laid to rest with him on his farm in Trujillo, next to his wife and son. He also makes Quintus promise to take charge of his slaves and not to let them end up on the open slave market. "About Cicero, once he is your slave, Quintus, it will be your choice, of course, but it would please me in Elysium to know that he is free."

"Aye, my friend," he agrees, as they clasp arms once again before traveling to the Coliseum. "I will grant his freedom if you should die."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All of Rome has turned out to see The Protector and Great General of Rome fight for his woman's crime. Bards are already putting words to parchments about this captivating love story, and playwrights and actors are discussing the wondrous plays that will soon be performed.

.... Diana, a stranger from a far off land who travels in a flying chariot, was the name of the beauty that captured the attention of Caesar's son and the heart of Mighty Maximus. Many tears will be shed upon their deaths.

With the roar of the crowd above him, it starts. Maximus delves down deep within himself allowing the savage darkness he keeps at bay to take over him completely, to give him the brutal strength he needs to begin, and hopefully survive, the deadliest fight of his life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours after the guard has left her alone to work herself up into a frenzy of worry for Maximus, the door slams open, and what looks like a man, but is not truly a man at the moment, walks in. Destiny has been cheated out of her final piece.

The first burst of joy Diana feels at seeing him alive is quickly over-ridden by the very instinctual fear of the way he is approaching her. Maximus appears more savage than ever before. His tunic, arms, legs and face are covered in blood, sweat, and grime, and his eyes are wild with a killing frenzy. Like an animal he sniffs the air, stepping towards the prey he wants, and Diana, that prey, immediately backs up until the animal has stalked her throughout the room and right into a rock wall.

"Max!" she gasps, as he brutally presses his body against hers with a loud grunt.

Ignoring her, the animal-man, with his hands planted on the wall on each side of her, trapping her, buries his face in her neck, sucking and biting at the soft skin, inhaling deeply the scent of his mate.

"Ohhhhh God," she moans, her arms hanging by her side, as her legs tremble in both fear and desire.

"Are you hurt?" she finally manages to squeak out.

The face lifts, and his feral eyes bore into hers, seeing only the prize he has fought for and won, ready to claim what is his once and for all. There is no rationality to be seen remaining in those eyes piercing hers, and although it terrifies her, it swiftly brings about more dampness between her legs. A flare of his nostrils in response to the consenting signal from her body to his, and his lips assault hers, bruising until she surrenders and opens to him.

His tongue thrusts past her teeth, hot and fierce in its demand, striving to taste every part of his female that he can. And Diana surrenders further, wrapping her arms around his back now to press her body against the urgent heat calling for her. Although she has kissed her share of men, she has never quite kissed one with such passion before, and the way he is biting and sucking at her lips, as though he wants to devour her in his intensity, is quickly crumbling down the last of her restraints.

With one rip his hand tears off her tunic and finds her breast, HIS breast, pulling none to gently on the hard nub, as she cries out in shocked pleasure against his mouth. It isn't until the bare skin of his shaft is felt pushing against her abdomen, that reality comes rushing back to Diana, and she suddenly realizes that she's about to lose her virginity to a filthy bloodied man upon rocks in a stinking dirty cell.

"Max, wait, please," she groans, as he easily lifts her body higher against the wall to begin maneuvering himself between her thighs.

The man Maximus is not in control, and he shows no sign of hearing her, as he continues kissing and nipping at her face and neck while pushing his body against her even tighter in a desperate possessive hold. The deadly fight against beasts in the Coliseum has brought out his own male beast within, pure adrenalin driving him now in a primal need to lay claim to this female, mark her with his scent, plant his seed within and make her his for all time.

It is not an agenda shared at the moment by Diana. Her legs may have instinctively wrapped around his waist when he lifted her, but she begins to push hard at his shoulders now, trying to get through to the man within. A grunt of pain erupts from his lips, and his crazed eyes stare at her in confusion, a fleeting thought passing through the fervor in his mind at wondering why his mate would want to hurt him.

"Oh God, I'm sorry," she cries, moving her bloodied hand away from the long gashes on his left shoulder. Pain from those claws Maximus had only stopped feeling in his frenzy for her until she accidentally touched them.

Pain or not, it only lasts seconds to stop him, and then, it happens. "Noooooo," she suddenly moans in her own brand of pain, as he plunges up into her with a guttural cry of fulfillment.

Her feet immediately begin pressing into the back of his legs, trying to gain leverage to lessen the burn racing through her groin, but she only manages to find more raw tears in his flesh, and he grunts again, knocking her feet off the wounds and rocking his hips upwards until he is completely sheathed within her, wounds forgotten again. They have reached the point that Diana knows to give up entirely, too late to fight him anymore, while also realizing suddenly that the searing pain below in her is already receding swiftly, leaving in it's wake a rush of pleasure like none she's ever known.

- Oh My Fucking God! I can't believe it! - Within moments she's relaxed completely, embracing him again with her arms and legs to eagerly allow her body to fall into the rhythm of the ancient dance that the male within her has initiated. Her lips seek his, and he claims them again, relishing a feeling of primitive satisfaction that his female is wantonly moving with him now the way he knows they were meant to be together.

Both large hands are on her face, holding her to him, as they kiss and rut against the wall with a frantic need. This is no lovemaking like Maximus had planned with the woman he loves. No tender bedding of shared pleasures and whispers of loving endearments. This is nothing but animal-need. Need brought forth from what he has been forced to endure .... endure for months, his body and soul tormented beyond control. And now, finally, in front of his peers, he has fully proven his right to her as master and mate, the way his ancient world works.

He may wish he hadn't.

At any other time, Maximus, the man, could have held back for the woman he is within. But not this time, there's too much built up inside. With less than a dozen frenzied thrusts, he finds himself shooting his seed high in her brilliant heat, gripping her hair and throwing back his head to howl in ecstasy. It is no polite sigh of satisfaction for a partner like his normal way. This is a cry of all-consuming rapture from a man who is feeling something he never imagined a mortal could; his body and soul exploding around him, so much intense gratification, that it is about to leave him drained as though in shock.

Diana can feel the huge muscle pulsating in her, hot sperm filling her over and over, as her own muscles clamp down to draw him in even tighter like nature intended, but she is no longer happy. They may be a perfect fit, but those incredible bursts of pleasure she was feeling are almost gone, her body never having reached the peak she is sure she would have if he had lasted longer, or if they had come together differently. Diana came so very close, and she was cruelly dragged back down when his body tensed and released before she could find her own piece of heaven. And along with that immense physical disappointment is also the disappointment piercing her heart now, disappointment that she is still his slave and that the man she loves technically forced her. - GODDAMNIT! I know he was beyond thinking clearly from the rush of the Coliseum, but now it's over and I feel fucking sick! If he thinks he can do this to me whenever he wants ..... ?! -

He won't. Maximus is back in control of himself completely now, and gasping into her neck, trying to breathe again, his legs turn suddenly weak, and he drops her as gently as he can to the floor. Without a second thought, Diana squirms out of his arms, immediately steps away from him and throws up again at the bile filling her stomach at what has just happened, or, in some ways, didn't happen.

"Diana," he says in worry, reaching out a hand to her, as he fixes his garments.

She turns around, snatches off the floor the torn tunic to wrap around herself and looks him straight in the eye. "You promised, Max."

The dirty yet handsome face crumples at knowing what she means, and his hand drops in shame. "Forgive me, My Love. I beg you. Take a private bath with me, and I will make it up to you all night long."

An abrupt turn of her back on him is her only response, and she walks out of the cell, grabs a clean tunic and keeps right on walking. With a sigh of defeat, a drained Maximus sinks to the floor, his head in his hands for a moment, and then, with a shake of his head in resolve, he stands to seek out a physician for his wounds.

As much as he loves her, the ancient man still doesn't understand the modern woman, and not realizing just how furious she truly is, instead of going after her like he should have, he allows a physician to attend to his wounds. - She will calm. I know she loves me, and I know she found pleasure, if not release. 'Twas my fault from what I became to survive the Coliseum. It will never happen again. We will make love so often now she will scream with release until the walls shake. I may have taken her virginity without honoring the Gods as I wished, but we will honor them the rest of our lives in our love for each other. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too late, he discovers with horror what she has done. One of his guards runs into the room with the news, and Maximus bolts outside to find Diana in the chopper, the machine lifting into the air. People are standing frozen in shock at seeing it move again, and Maximus is the only one brave enough to run close to it.

It does him no good.

She's too high off the ground, just barely out of his reach, and hearing his anguished scream of, "DIANA!!!" she shoves her middle finger down at him ....... and flies away.


CHAPTER 24

"DIANA!!" he screams again to no avail. She is high in the horizon, then gone, out of sight.

"How did she get in it?" he turns with fury to his men who were supposed to be guarding the chopper.

They all lower their heads, and the highest-ranking one steps forward. "Your woman pushed right by us with no fear. She was covered with blood and your scent, General .... dripping with seed. We were not sure what was best to do, so we let her by, and I sent one to find you. We did not know she could bring the beast to life so quickly. It had been dormant for hours. I beg forgiveness."

Maximus, not willing to explain right now that it is not a beast at all, simply a man-made machine, storms down the steps to spend the rest of the night at his villa. He is contemplating jumping onto a horse and trying to follow her, but she is already too far away, and he knows it would be futile. The physician has followed him and finishes dressing the wounds, and once the man is satisfied, Maximus retires to a long bath, a large dinner and a very empty lonely bed.

Halfway through the night he wakes and begins sobbing to himself. Sobbing again for his good wife, his beloved child, his soulmate Diana and even for his friend Marcus. The house slaves can hear his grief, but even Cicero wisely knows not to intrude. And the next morning, it is as though it never happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next few days are spent reluctantly attending the lengthy and formal funeral services for Commodus and trying his best to offer comfort, as a friend, to Lucilla and her young son. There are also endless meetings, surveying the City and working on how to best turn power over to the people and make Rome a Republic, as Caesar wished. Fulfilling this promise to his friend is the only thing keeping Maximus going now. And once it is done, when Rome no longer truly needs him, he will leave it all behind and spend the rest of his life searching for Diana.

- I am still her master, - he justifies it to himself. - She is still my slave. I have every right to find her and bring her back. If she wants citizenship, she MUST come back with me! I will give her anything she wants to stay in the safety of the City and live under my protection. A home of her own, a houseful of slaves she can handpick herself .... anything! -

After almost two weeks of fitful sleep, Maximus decides that he needs a physician to help him find some rest at night. - She haunts me! But I must stay strong! Eat and sleep so I will have the strength to find her when my duty to Rome is over. Gods, help me to find a way to convince her of my love for her, to make her want to stay in Rome. -

Cicero soon discovered, through kind but firm looks from Maximus, that he was still no longer wanted in his master's bed. It upset the boy greatly to learn that although the stranger had disappeared again, he would continue to be kept cast aside. And Lucilla too discovered that Maximus, although polite and friendly with her, also would not touch her or allow her to touch him. But as her father and her brother are both dead, he immediately offered her and her son his legal protection as guardian, and she readily accepted. Maximus had been sure then to make it known to Lucilla that she was to keep her own quarters in the palace and run her own life, to only call on him for legal matters where a male would be needed or to call on him as a friend. Although he enjoys spending time with young Lucius, he has no desire to be a companion for the mother in any other way.

Maximus also has no desire to flaunt his temporary power as Protector of Rome. Each day he resolutely refuses all requests to move his household into the palace, much preferring the privacy of his villa at night. Gold, garments and lovely slaves are often offered, but the man learned long ago not to take more than he needs, and it is a trait that endears him to the public even more.

Eventually, Lucilla tired of her old lover's polite rejections and found a discreet physician in the city, a man she paid many coins to to keep his discretion and provide her with a mix to put in Maximus' drink some evening, a mix to make him more susceptible to her. Lucilla knows that Maximus has Cicero prepare him a special drink each night to help him sleep, and with the boy's help, she plans to add another ingredient to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the end of another late evening Senate meeting, almost the last for Maximus, he knows, as he is readying to leave the City soon, Lucilla finds Cicero at his villa and speaks with his slave of their mutual desire. "Maximus will be here soon. 'Tis my wish that you add this to his sleeping drink, and when the time has passed and he is asleep in bed, I will return."

"Return for what? What are you planning with this mix?" Cicero asks with deep suspicion.

"The mix will not harm him. Only confuse him when I enter his bed. He needs a new wife, and I will do whatever I must to claim that status."

"And what of me? I love him too."

"I do not care one way or the other if he lays with you, Boy. As long as he lays with me when I want him, I will be satisfied."

"I will help you, Lady Lucilla, if you will use your womanly ways to convince him to share his bed with me again." - This woman is not my enemy. She does not hold his heart. I will share him with her, as I would have with his wife. -

"Agreed," she answers and slips away just as Maximus enters his home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within the hour he is staggering with dizziness, ready to call for a physician to stop the swirling clouds forming in his head. The call is never made. Cicero is at his side immediately, quickly helping him to bed, convincing his master to lie down and then proceeding to undress him while he sleeps.

Lucilla has timed it well, and with Cicero giving her entrance back into the villa, she strips off her clothing and joins Maximus under the coverings. Saying a quick prayer to the Gods that the physician was correct and the man's mind will be temporarily muddled, she begins to kiss his chest, working her way down his abdomen with long strokes of her tongue until she has enveloped his flaccid shaft within her mouth.

A grunt of pleasure is heard from his sleep, and it begins to fill with blood, responding to the warm heat of her mouth, as she sucks and licks in just the way she remembers he likes. When full arousal comes forth, his hands gripping at the sheet, groggy eyes slowly open to peer down at what is being done to him. The physician knew his mixes. Maximus, in his desire for Diana only, sees his beloved now and moans with joy that she has come back to him, forgiven him for his betrayal in the cell and is loving him in such a thoughtful way.

Gently he lifts her off him, and with glazed eyes tricked by the hallucinogens flowing in his veins, he moves her under him to make sweet tender love. With long skilled strokes, firm yet gentle, Maximus thrills to bring the woman in his arms to climax over and over, as declarations of love from both ring throughout the room. Some time later, when is just about to give in to his own pleasure, unable to hold back another moment, he hears the sound of the chamber doorway opening, a blistering shriek of womanly fury .... "I HATE YOUR FUCKING GUTS!"

Freezing in bewilderment, he turns to look over his shoulder in disbelief. His brow knits with confusion, the impending orgasm retreating, and with a tilt of his head he says, "Two of you?"

Lucilla smiles wickedly at Diana, quite pleased at this turn of events, and watches with delight as the slave runs from the chamber past a grinning Cicero, who had purposely let her in when she showed up surprising him only moments earlier.

After spending two weeks alone hiding out in the nearby countryside to conserve her fuel, thinking over and over again about everything that's happened between them and finally accepting that what had happened in the cell was not likely to be a typical lovemaking session, that it was simply a mistake by a man who had been pushed over his limit, Diana had decided to come back to see if he would still give her citizenship. She wasn't ready to forgive him, being taken in that way for her first time and as a slave would have long-term effects on their relationship, but she was ready to talk. She was ready to take a chance that the good man he seemed to be would keep his word to her and she would not be walking into slavedom again. And, once she had that citizenship, she planned to eventually choose the man she loved as her lover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in her chopper, just outside his villa, desperate to get away from him now more than ever at this shocking betrayal, Diana is fuming inside. - I thought he loved me! Wanted only me! And there he is not just fucking her but telling her he LOVES her? I've gotta be the stupidest blindest woman in any time period! I could've fought him harder in that cell! Kept my virginity from being taken by a disgusting barbarian! I let'm practically seduce me! A goddamned savage seducing a twenty-first century colonel? What the fuck was I thinking?! He's probably been dicking Lucilla all along like Cicero and God knows how many others! I could be carrying some sick sex disease from that pig!! -

Focusing only on her agony and the escape of the sky beckoning to her, Diana doesn't even see Maximus run naked out of his home, the man realizing now what has just happened, his confusion completely lifted. "DIANA!!!" he screams to the fast emptying void above him, falling to his knees to shake his head violently in shock at this cruel turn of events.

Lucilla, clutching her stola around her in one hand, touches his shoulder in an attempt to bring his attention back to her. It was a foolish idea. Quick as a flash, he's jumped up and is snarling at her. "If you set foot on my land again, I will lash your skin raw!"

A cry of horror at knowing he will do it, a legal right as her guardian, and she leaves the villa as swiftly as possible without protest, struggling to keep her dignity intact and not cry in front of him. The Lady's plan of becoming his wife some day, not to mention remaining friends, completely ruined now by her deceit.

When Maximus is sure that she has gone, he returns to his bedchamber, clothes himself and calls Cicero in. "Tell me what happened," he growls the order, not caring in the least that Cicero is obviously terrified.

Minutes later ... "And you let all this happen?" he asks at hearing the loathsome events. "Went along with Lucilla's plan, and you could not even warn me first when Diana showed?"

"Aye Master," the boy cries, falling on his hands and knees, expecting to feel those large fists on his back at any minute.

No fists rein down on his flesh, however, only a scroll; a scroll that Maximus, as Protector of Rome, had kept ready and waiting for the right time to give to Cicero, his freedom and citizenship papers. "Thank you, Master," Cicero stands, smiling brightly at this unexpected gift.

"Do not thank me, Cicero. You are a free man. Now get out of my home. I never want to see you again."

"Nooooo," comes the moan, understanding now. "Do not make me leave. Please Master!"

"I am no longer your master, your protector or your friend," his eyes flare dangerously at the one he once held dear. "Now GET OUT!"

Cicero should have known better than to be part of such a deceit where Maximus is concerned. With no where to go, he rushes from the chamber, gathers his few personal items and runs crying to the palace, praying that Lucilla will take him in. Two of a kind.

Maximus spends little time packing two horses for his journey. A messenger is sent to The Senate and another to Quintus, telling them that his business is finished and that he does not know when or if he will ever return to Rome. Quintus is also asked to watch over his two estates along with his guardianship of Lucilla and Lucius; to use any gold of Maximus' he needs to do so, and if he has not returned within three years or at news of his death reaching back to Rome, then Quintus should feel free to do whatever he wants with the estates and possessions within.

Without a single look back, Maximus, only a simple man now, leaves the City to spend his life searching for Diana.



CHAPTER 25

Although Maximus has no idea, of course, if Diana stayed true to the course she was flying, he has no choice but to travel fast in that same direction and pray to the Gods that he catches up with her eventually. It is unlikely, but stranger things have been known to happen. Weeks pass, and he becomes weary with despair of ever finding her, but the man will not give up, continually asking all matter of men in every township he passes if a woman of her description has been seen, or, at least, an incredible flying chariot.

In time, he passes out of Roman territory, and his already ever-cautious guard becomes even more vigilant. - My status will no longer be recognized. It may even cause problems. I will do better to appear as only a well-armed man traveling alone, a man with an ordinary identity who holds no ties and allegiance only to himself. -

One afternoon, in one of the outer, although civilized enough, lands he comes upon a small village holding a slave auction. And when the mongrel mix of Latin being spoken is heard, he listens with one ear as he rides through. "This red-haired beauty was captured just this morning. She is a savage one, but her skin is soft and her loins tight and exquisite, as I have tasted several times myself."

- Diana?! - he wonders if the Gods have finally heard his prayers and moves closer to the crowd. And there she is, naked and glowering at the crowd gawking at her; her body covered with fresh bruises and lash marks with only her face and breasts kept free of punishment.

Diana had been captured while swimming to shore from the sea where her chopper had gone down, completely out of fuel, and she didn't even care anymore at the time. Tired of living alone in the wilderness on the outside of towns, she had deliberately flown it over water, hoping to drown herself. It wasn't until the cold sea hit her that she came back to her senses and swam as it sank out of sight, thinking a brief hysterical thought at what future scientists would say if they ever uncovered a chunk of it's metal and were able to carbon date it. - And what if they're able to actually identify it somehow? What kind of a paradox would that create? Warning me not to fly that day so this nightmare never happens? Never meet Maximus? ..... Good! -

"All we know of this slave is that she calls herself Diana, thinks that no man may claim her and will fight like no female I have ever seen," the slave trader continues to the crowd. "Her ferocity has killed two of my men before it was decided best to keep her in chains." And chained she is, a thick heavy collar on her neck with a large chain running down to hold her wrists together in shackles. These are not the dainty chains for show of Commodus that she could easily break. These are chains of bondage for a slave about to be sold, a slave now considered to be dangerous. "As you can see, she is marked with the name of the son of the last Caesar, but as news has reached us recently that Commodus is dead, and we do not abide by the laws of Rome here, this feisty beauty is now up for sale to the highest bidder. She will surely make a fine companion in bed after she has been properly tamed. Her loins are well worth the beatings it will take to control her. You have my guarantee as this region's most respected slave trader that she is clean, healthy, and tested by myself."

"How is her teeth?" someone calls out from the crowd.

The trader, eager to show more of her fine points, uses two hands to force Diana's mouth open, pulling her lips back as she tries to snap at him. "Now turn around," he orders her while yanking the chain he is holding until her backside is shown to the bidders, men who are whispering appreciatively among themselves. The many bruises and lash marks have in no way taken from Diana's beauty as a desirable female.

"Does she bear the marks of childbirth?" another asks.

"Nay," he answers. "Not a mark of birthing on her. Her muscles are taunt and unmarked except for in discipline."

Several bidders, known to be serious ones, are next allowed onto the platform to examine the merchandise more closely. The four men proceed to look her over, touching and squeezing wherever they want while Diana clenches her teeth throughout it, staring straight ahead at nothing. Maximus, although shaking with fury that she is being treated like this and that other men are touching her, has climbed off his horse and is slowly pulling the two animals through the crowd, trying not to draw attention to himself. He continues to watch silently, as fingers other than his own test her muscles, her breasts, her buttocks and even dip right into her womanhood to smell her scent until the four men are satisfied with their inspection and step back into the crowd.

The bidding begins, and Maximus listens very carefully. It goes quickly, higher and higher as many men want her, and just when he feels that learned sense that it's about to come to an end, that the men have reached their limit on how much they will pay, he calls out a much larger bid, and all eyes, including Diana's, fall on him.

For a moment, Diana feels a rushing thrill of deep gratitude that Maximus has found her, but it is quickly replaced with a, - Oh no no no no no! I will NOT be HIS slave again! These men can hurt my body all they want, but they can't hurt my heart like that fucker has! -

Seeing her eyes widen in recognition and her mouth opening, Maximus quickly shakes his head, a desperate look coming to his eyes pleading with her to remain quiet. The man is worried because they're not in Roman territory. His dress is Roman, as is his Legionnaire tattoo on his shoulder, and he knows that many outside lands hold resentment of Rome, and if the trader or this village is one of them, he could be refused the right to buy Diana simply out of spite. Maximus has seen similar things such as this happen on his many travels for Caesar, and he knows how important it is that they appear to be strangers until they reach the safety of Roman land again. They must blend in as much as possible and not bring unnecessary attention to themselves.

- Can I NOT get away from him?! - she thinks in fury, as her mouth closes. - He can have any fucking slave he wants! And even those bitches Lucilla and Cicero for all the goddamn sex he wants so badly! Fucking push ME up against a wall like an animal and turn around and be all lovey-dovey in bed with her?! I don't THINK so! -

Once Maximus can tell that she understands to remain quiet, he turns his eyes back to the trader and finishes the bidding. And, soon, her ownership has been won and he walks to the side of the platform to claim his newest slave. Paying the man, he watches with growing agitation the intense animosity shining in her eyes, as she is dragged over to stand before him. It annoys him. It annoys him greatly that the woman can't even show him the slightest bit of warmth in gratitude for rescuing her, that he has traveled for so very long to be greeted with hatred. - I will wipe that scorn off her face, - he pledges and yanks hard on the chain, smirking at her, as she stumbles and looks back up at him with apprehension now. - Good. I do not wish it, but if we must start over again, so be it. -

"Diana," he says for the benefit of the trader, who is standing beside him to be sure that the sale is satisfactory. "I am your new master, Maximus Deci .,"

"Whatever," she interrupts with a snort, but quickly closes her mouth again when his hand whips out and open-handedly smacks the back of her head, none too gently.

"Bastard," she hisses under her breath, staring at him in amazement for a moment when he does it .. again. - SON OF A BITCH! - Her eyes lower at the second strike, however, her mouth shuts tight, and the trader, pleased that she is responding appropriately to Maximus now, nods his head and walks away.

Of course, as soon as the man is gone, she lifts her head. "How could you?" she spits angrily.

But Maximus, still worried about all the people around them in this strange town, quickly smacks her again. He can see that she is trembling in barely controlled fury, attempting to bite back her temper, and it makes him say a silent prayer to the Gods that she will hold her tongue so he can stop hitting her. - Make her be silent! Will she never learn in public?! -

Apparently, the Gods listened. Either that or Diana, realizing there is no use talking to him right now, has decided to give up, temporarily. Onto his horse he jumps, pulling her to walk beside him like a slave would in town. - NO! - she tries to jerk the chain out of his hand, assuming he would have let her ride the other horse. It does nothing, of course. His greater strength wins, and rather than choking to death on the collar digging into her neck, she relents to walk by his legs like he wants. - Better let me ride when we're outta here! -

Maximus is moving them as quickly as he can to get out of town, and, once they are, he has every intention of giving her that other horse. - Not much further and we will be able to stop and talk. Make her understand. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, just as they're about to leave the area behind them, his way is blocked by a dozen well-armed men wearing identical clothing. The leader among them walks boldly up to Maximus. "Stranger, you have been invited to dine and spend the night with Armand, the Lord of this region. He wishes very much to speak to a true Roman such as you."

Maximus, sensing correctly that the invitation is merely a veiled demand, nods his head in agreement and follows them to a large courtyard. A stableboy quickly takes the horses away, and the owner comes out with a hearty smile of greeting, embracing a surprised Maximus. "Tis been many, many years since I have spoken to a Roman," he says. "I am Armand. Come inside, bathe and have dinner with me. Stay the night and tell me all the gossip of Rome, and you may leave in the morn."

Seeing no reason to appear rude and refuse the man, a man with many guards, Maximus smiles. "I thank you for your hospitality. I am called Maximus. I have much travel to take before reaching Rome and look forward to a night of rest here first."

"Good, good!" the man exclaims, adding, "Maximus, your female can be left chained in the slave quarters, if you wish. She will not be harmed."

"Nay," he refuses the thought of not keeping her in sight. "I have just purchased her at your slave market, and I wish to keep her by my side."

- I BET you do, you fucking pervert! - she stares at his feet, wishing she could stomp on them.

Laughing, the man nods his head and shows him to the guest room, where two nude female slaves hurry in, quickly undressing the houseguest and drawing him a warm bath. The bath is small sized, made for one, and he does not offer to share it with Diana, who pretends not to watch. Lying back in it, enjoying his first true bath in ages, he sighs contently, as the two women proceed to clean him thoroughly with soft brushes and scented soaps all over.

When Maximus is good and ready, he climbs out and they dry him off, dressing him in clean clothing, not standard Roman fare, but quite similar in appearance. Diana has remained standing by the one window and is looking down at the far ground. - Wonder if I could take a fall like that or find a way to climb down when it's real dark out. -

"You may bathe now," he says quietly, coming up beside her to unlock the chains on her wrists.

"How nice of you," she replies acidly and swiftly moves away to climb into the bath.

The women have not left the room. They're spending time putting finishing touches on the large bed while waiting for the Roman's slave to finish so they can clean the bath again and leave until later. These women are well trained in attending to houseguests, and Maximus will soon discover the extent of their duties.

When Diana's bath is done, she stands up and begins looking around for clothing for herself, feeling quite sick and tired of having to be nude around people so often. "Can't I get some clean clothes too?" she asks the women, who immediately shake their heads fearfully at her for daring to ask.

They glance at Maximus, who has been openly watching Diana bathe, and he shakes his head in agreement. "Nay, Diana. Have you seen a slave clothed in this town?"

"Is that what I am to you?" she growls, stepping out of the bath.

At any other time this woman's bare body dripping with water would have made his heart hitch, but moving to stand between her and them so they won't be able to see his face, he snaps angrily, "Hold your tongue, Slave, or I will hold it for you." His mouth may be speaking the words, but his eyes are moving hard to the left, trying to make Diana understand that they must be careful in what they say.

As angry as she may be, Diana truly can admit better to herself now that Maximus appears to only be playing a part. Nodding quickly in understanding, she peers down at the floor like expected. - Fine! But tomorrow I'm gonna ream your ass! -

His approval of her stance is a simple grunt, and at a knock at the door, he opens it to Armand, who has come to usher his guest to dinner. "My slave comes with me," Maximus states, picking up the chain to pull her along behind him.

"I would have suggested that," Armand laughs. "My other guests have brought their favorite females to dinner too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the large low table, they see four other male guests with female slaves near them. Diana, of course, tries to sit on a pillow next to Maximus, but at a quick yank on her chain, she is pulled to where she should sit behind him on the floor like the rest of the slaves.

"%*^&," she mutters under her breath, but at seeing his other hand open and rise towards her, she quickly sits down to avoid another swat.

Soon the food and wine is flowing freely and the men begin to talk. Maximus is pumped for every bit of idle gossip on Rome, and he speaks easily, only leaving out his true identity. Three of the slave women are looking hungrily at the food, but they are not being given anything by their masters, and the fourth is only casually tossed small pieces, although to the woman's obvious relief. Diana, who has not eaten for two days, glares at Maximus' back, waiting for him to feed her.

He does not. The man, who she wishes the earth would just open up and swallow whole, continues to eat and talk until half of his large plate is finally emptied, then, without even glancing back at her, he places the plate behind him towards her. If Diana wasn't so hungry by now, she would probably throw the plate at him, but not about to pass up good food, she dives in eagerly, watching as he turns and smiles at seeing her mouth full of food.

That annoying little crooked smile of his, feeling to her like an owner who is pleased with his pet's performance, makes her glare boldly at him, as she continues to stuff her face. And that food is almost spat from her mouth to laugh raucously at him, realizing with ire just how oblivious the man is to her feelings when his smile widens even more in satisfaction before turning back to the table.

Soon more slaves have come out from behind the curtains, dancing girls, and not feeling it is safe to act any differently, Maximus follows the lead of the other men and proceeds to kiss and touch any women who come near him. Diana doesn't care. After seeing him make love while telling Lucilla that he loves her, the man can do anything he wants without it fazing her anymore. To protect herself now from his seductive nearness, she has built a fortress around her heart that will not allow another man of this time to penetrate again.

When the dance is over, the highly stimulated men pull their slaves onto their laps for more kissing and fondling, as the amiable dinner conversation continues. "Stop it," she hisses at Maximus when he easily pulls her to him to envelop her in his arms.

"Hold," he whispers in her ear, planting her tightly in his lap, his arms and legs pressing hard to keep her still.

There is no way in the world that Diana will hold that easily for him, and Maximus should have known that. Struggling with her, all the men staring at him trying to control his slave, Maximus begins to sweat at working on the best way to remind Diana, without killing her, that she also must play her own part this night. His arms tighten to the point of pain around her, and his teeth clamp down firmly on the back of her ear. "Slave," he growls warningly.

"Let me go," she cries, ripping her ear out from between his teeth at feeling his arousal pressing through his tunic into her bottom.

Gasping, his arms and legs pressing tighter and tighter every time she intakes a breath, Diana begins to feel like she is being squeezed by a boa constrictor, and a wave of dizziness sweeps through her. "Max," she moans and goes limp in his arms, beaten.

Immediately, the pressure around her lets up, and she breathes deeply to fill her lungs, no longer struggling. When Maximus is sure his slave will remain still for him, he kisses her ear and gently licks away the drop of blood that his teeth had brought out when she tore away from him. Seeing that the Roman has his female under control now, the men go on with their conversation, although each wonders to himself why the large man did not just use his fists to subdue his possession.

The dinner guests are still very much enjoying their own slaves, and as Maximus begins talking with them again, he nuzzles around Diana's neck and face, planting soft kisses on her tender skin while his hands stroke her arms. Although the other men are fondling their slaves much more openly, Maximus is hoping for some kind of signal from Diana before he touches her any more intimately.

No signal is forthcoming, however, as she sits very tense in his lap, in complete control of her body, so far. The men have begun to bring soft moans from their females; slave women who have well learned how to relax and take what little pleasure they are given, and everyone can't help but notice now at how strangely unemotional Diana is acting in her master's embrace. Maximus, having a pretty good idea at what they are probably thinking, takes an inner deep breath and forges on, stroking her breasts lightly. For a moment, it brings a tremor of desire under his hand, but Diana quickly forces it down and turns her body tense again. Desperate now to show these strange men that he knows how to handle a woman and not be seen as any different than them while he is alone and so far from Rome, his fingers begin pulling gently on her nipples, praying he can coax a real response from her.

It isn't exactly the response he wants. Diana has pretty much reached the point of total fury with Maximus. Although her rational mind understands their situation, it isn't in control right now, as she sits considering all the ways she would like to tear him apart while his hands begin to wander freely over her bare body. It isn't until he slips a hand between her legs and touches the folds hiding her clitoris, that Maximus finally brings a faint sigh from her lips. There is no wetness waiting for him, though, but with only moments more of light pressure in just the right place, his fingers are able to tease the moisture from her.

It does the trick. Losing control, she sighs again, closes her eyes and automatically pushes against his now welcome hand. "Good girl," he whispers in her ear. A mistake. Diana freezes once more at his foolish choice of words, reminded of her utter humiliation.

- Gods! - he thinks angrily at himself at feeling the immediate change in her body and womanhood. - Can I not do anything right by this woman?! -

Although he tries hard again to relax her, this time Diana's ready for it. With a quick jab of her elbow, she catches him sharply in the ribs, and Maximus hisses loudly in pain and surprise. All conversation stops, everyone knowing what's happened, and he steels himself to handle it like expected. Standing and pulling his slave to her feet, one hand holding the chain, the other slaps her across the face, not nearly as hard as he could, but quite loud enough to do it's job.

Diana didn't expect the suddenness of it, didn't roll with it like she could have, and with furious eyes she raises her hand to wipe the blood off the corner of her mouth. - DIANA! - his mind is screaming. - LOOK DOWN! Act like the slave that you are! -

Enraged green eyes hold desperate blue eyes, and she knows he's waiting for her to submit again in front of these strangers, but the modern woman just can't do it, not anymore. Colonel Diana Meridus is sick of the game they're being forced to play. "On your knees," he barks loudly. - For the love of the Goddess Diana, just make her kneel in front of me so we can move past this! -

"Go . to .hell."

Maximus, seeing red now, is infuriated at her stubbornness when he has saved her from a life of slavery and is only trying to help her. One muscled leg kicks out, sweeping behind hers to bring the aggravating female crashing hard to the floor. It doesn't matter a whit to Diana. She immediately tries to get back on her feet. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for them in this case, Maximus, still holding the chain, wraps that hand in her longer hair, yanks it down, while his other hand clasps around her neck, squeezing, and forces her to remain on her knees.

A very tempted Diana considers simply reaching out to punch him in the groin, make the Roman fall in agony like she did once before to him. But something stops her this time, a warning in the back of her mind that if she does, Maximus may truly lose himself in this charade and unintentionally harm her badly. Her decision made, going with her instincts, she relaxes her body and remains on her knees, but the twenty-first century woman will not lower her eyes for him again, and she continues to stare up at him boldly.

- Good enough, - he thinks, and with a grunt of approval, releases her neck and hair.

"Maximus," Armand speaks up with delight. "I must say, this new slave of yours is everything I was told the trader said. A wild one. Are you sure you are up to taming her?"

Maximus laughs at the intended joke and sits back down. "I have never purchased a slave I could not tame. I will enjoy breaking her in."

"Aye, I would too," the man continues to laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In time, their talk turns to gambling sports and games, and the men drunkenly begin to wager on whose slave would be the first to suck their master to satisfaction. Maximus, although not drunk, is feeling a bit lightheaded from drinking wine for the first time in so long, and he is not at all comfortable refusing a simple wager, to a man, and drawing even more negative attention to him and Diana.

He turns to look at her with a hopeful smile, and knowing what he wants, she bares her teeth at him. It might be something Diana has learned expertly from Commodus, but she will never be able to forget all that horrible gagging and choking she suffered on him and other men in the beginning until she was able to perform it correctly. For just a split second, the male within Maximus wants to smash his fist into those perfect teeth of hers, but he is a man truly in love, and he quickly forces down the anger to slowly reach his hand out to her with eyes beseeching.

She stares at that hand, reaching but not touching; a hand that has recently hurt her in pain no matter how much she may understand why. And then there are those eyes of his; eyes obviously pleading at her not to fight him again, eyes she knows hold compassion for others. - He may not love me like he said or he wouldn't have been screwing around with Lucilla, but I have to admit, the jerk really does care about me. Soooo what's a blowjob now that he's taken my virginity? Nothing really. I can do this. Commodus, that piece of shit, taught me well, timing me to finish him off fast or get hurt if I didn't. I can win this fucking wager for Max. - And with her lip turning slightly, she takes his hand, allowing herself to be pulled back into his lap.

At a signal between the men, each master promptly pushes his slave's head down, but now that Diana can actually feel hands pushing on the back of her head, she changes her mind and tries to lift herself back up. - GODS! - he thinks. - Can she BE more confusing? One moment she comes to me willingly and the next she fights me? If we spend the rest of our lives together, I will never understand her! -

Her head is still straining to rise, panic filling her. "Nay," he grunts, pushing her further down onto him.

Hands clenching and unclenching on his thighs in frustration, struggling with herself not to strike out at him, Diana feels her head pushed until her face is right up against the tunic over his groin. Heat is radiating from the hardness straining under the cloth pressing to her mouth, and being the stubborn modern day bitch she is, she snaps her teeth together on it, making Maximus gasp loudly in mortal fear. Wanting to shove her off, but knowing it will turn into another battle, he keeps steady pressure on her head, praying she won't truly injure him. A quick worried glance at the other men too busy caught up in their own enjoyment at being pleasured by their slaves, and he furtively leans down to her, a single word whispered from his lips. "Please."

That one word has the desired effect. Teeth release his manhood, and, in response, he lessens the pressure on her head, relaxing his hands to stroke through her hair, as Diana slowly lifts his tunic, pulls his loincloth aside and frees the throbbing member. Not even thinking about the wager anymore, only that she has to do this because of the situation they're in, and wanting to get it over with as quickly as possible, she immediately takes in his entire length like Commodus taught her, choking only a moment before her throat relaxes to accommodate his size. - Thank God he had a bath! Probably woulda thrown right up on him if he had made me do THIS in that cell! -

"Diana," Maximus moans softly, struggling to control himself with the others around. - Oh Gods, I love this woman! -

One small hand wraps around his scrotum to tug and massage gently but firmly in time to the suction while, without warning, with only a quick dip into her mouth for lubrication, a slender finger from her other hand plunges deep into his rectum. "Gods!" he gasps, never having allowed anyone to EVER enter him.

Immediately, he tries to pull away from the foreign feeling, but this woman has been taught too well, and she determinedly finds his prostate, stroking it perfectly while expertly stretching his un-tried muscle. Maximus has suddenly found himself in the middle of an epiphany. Understanding with astoundment now why many men are more than willing to be submissive to other men like Cicero has always been to him. Beginning to pant in desire, alternately thrusting up into her mouth while bearing down on her probing finger, The General of Rome is moving closer and closer to orgasm until abruptly, it's pulled away from him, cruelly.

Diana, suddenly realizing that the man who's betrayed her is about to cum in her mouth, has pulled off and removed her hands. She didn't do it to taunt him, not really, .... well .... maybe .. just a little, but mainly Diana had felt again that sick horror at what she was being made to do in front of others, especially to a man who's broken her heart, and she quickly moves from his lap to sit behind him, watching him warily.

Wild eyes turn on her, his tunic falling back down over unfulfilled lust, and, for just a moment, Maximus positively looks as though he would like to break her neck. It is so intense, the frenzied rage on his face that Diana is sure that she has truly gone and done it this time. The man will either pull her back to him or make her pay in blood, big time.

Not liking either of those options, she quickly lowers her head, deliberately showing him desperate submissiveness. It works. The others aren't paying any attention anymore, and a huge breath is drawn into his chest, helping to chase away the rage, as he turns from his tormentor, forcing a smile at the table.

When the men, finishing up their own business, realize that the Roman is already done, they naturally assume that Maximus has won the wager, and they laughingly compliment him on picking such a fine slave for oral pleasure while gold easily passes to his hand. Not about to dispute them and try to explain how he could have possibly let his slave stop without breaking her arm in punishment, Maximus laughs with them, well aware of a small part of himself that would rather cry in frustration at the state she has left him in.

It is a state that is about to take yet another turn into hell, or make that Hades, in this world.

With a grin, their host Armand speaks. "Now, of course, she will do me."

CHAPTER 26

"Nay, I do not share my slaves in that way," Maximus turns towards Armand, noting with pleasure, though, at seeing that Diana has instantly moved closer to him at hearing what the man wants.

"Maximus, 'tis tradition in my town that when someone wins a wager, they must share with their host. You must share."

"Nay," he repeats firmer this time, his hand covering hers that has touched his waist in apprehension. "This slave is special to me."

"Special already?" Armand asks with surprise. "You just bought her."

- Perhaps, as he seems to have an affinity for Rome, I should tell him of my true status and what Diana truly means to me. If I had known the regent of this town has fond memories of his long ago time in Rome, there would have been no reason to act with deceit. I simply could not risk losing Diana's purchase by being honest. Should I admit my falsehood and be seen as a deceiver of men? A deceiver of a man who has shown me hospitality? Will he understand my need for caution? Or will he be insulted? -

Insulted, most likely.

Not about to take that chance, Maximus decides that it's safer to stick with the plan. "Aye, but I know what I like, and I Iike this female." And to prove his point, Diana is easily pulled back into his lap, where she immediately tries to bury herself in his protective embrace while offering her neck to soft lips that touch it for a moment in both possession and comfort. "I have enough gold," Maximus offers, looking back up at Armand. "I will buy you any slave you want at the market."

"I will not break with tradition in my own home, Roman. You eat my food, enjoy my bath and wear my clean garments. I do not want your gold or a new slave. Now give me the woman or she will die."

Maximus jumps, pulling a hidden dagger from his tunic to stand in front of Diana, as the other men and their slaves gasp in horror that someone has dared to bring a weapon to the table of such a respected man in this territory. "Well, now I remember why I left Rome," Armand continues almost pleasantly. "You Romans are too thick headed for your own good." And with a snap of his fingers, guards that had stayed back out of sight have pulled Diana away from behind Maximus.

"Release her," he snarls, turning to advance on them with his dagger.

"Max, don't get killed over this," Diana says, speaking very slowly in English. - Thank God I taught'm a little English on that trip back from Germany to keep myself awake flying! - "You don't stand a chance with just a knife against this many. And if you die, then I'm stuck here."

"I cannot bear to watch you do this for another man," he answers in very broken but understandable English.

"Can you bear to see me die as a slave in this town?"

"Nay, I found you. I will not lose you again."

"Yeah, well, we'll talk about that later. But you gotta put that knife down. I'll fucking suck the guy. No different than Commodus." - Makes me sick, but if it keeps you alive. -

"You will for this stranger, but you would not," and he stops, trying to find the correct English word from his very limited vocabulary, "complete me?" he finishes with a tone of hurt bewilderment.

"Complete?" her eyes raise. "Like you did for me in the cell?"

"I .... I .," he stammers, not sure what he can say to that reminder of his shameful weakness.

"Forget it, Max," she grunts, tired of the conversation and quickly pulls from the one guard's grip on her arm to walk with bowed head over to their host, saying in Latin now, "My mouth is yours."

"Ahhhh," Armand smiles with pleasure and pulls her down to him. "This female is not truly savage. She speaks two tongues and knows how to speak well when she wants. 'Tis interesting you could speak in her native tongue."

"I have traveled many places," he spits in vexation and sits back down.

"I am sure you have, being so far from the safety of Rome, as you are now," he gives Maximus a knowing grin. "Now do it, Slave," he orders her, and Diana, being very careful not to look over at Maximus, lowers her head into Armand's lap.

The sight of it proves too much for Maximus, just like he told her it would. He jumps again, a growl of anguish rolling up from deep inside, pushing its way past his lips, as he finds himself tackled to a wall by six guards who promptly wrest the dagger from his hand. Although his rational mind can tell him that the woman he loves is doing it because she has no choice, the frustration he has, kept just under the surface towards her for leaving Rome to begin with and bringing this situation upon them, comes bubbling up. The fact that she is giving in to this stranger but was not willing to for him, her lover, is fast turning that frustration to rage with her now, so angry at her that when her task is completed and she looks up at him, he coldly turns away.

"She was wonderful, my friend. Now sit back down. 'Tis finished." And to show the Roman proof that the matter is, indeed, forgotten, Diana is shoved over towards him.

"Nay," he intones unemotionally. "I wish to retire for the night."

"Fine, fine, Roman," Armand waves him away. "I thank you for the conversation."

"And I thank you for the food," Maximus grunts, departing the room without even touching Diana's chain this time.

It truly is late now, and Maximus is suddenly very weary from all that has happened, not to mention from having consumed a little too much wine. With Diana following, he walks into his room to collapse fully clothed in the middle of the bed, swiftly guzzling down the pitcher of wine that has been left for him. Diana is left standing in the doorway, and long moments pass eyeing each other until a very loud, very male belch resounds, and he rolls away from her, neither requesting nor rejecting her if she wishes to share the bed with him.

Scowling at his back, not about to ask him to move over more, Diana settles on the floor for the night, shivering in the nighttime air until a blanket is silently thrown down upon her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- What's that noise? - she instantly wakes during the night, looking around the moonlit room to see a large undulating mass in the bed. "Max?" she jumps up worriedly, ready to help him in any way until she realizes that the man is not being harmed after all, the man is obviously very willing, buried beneath the two female slaves that had bathed him earlier. Both women are moaning, one riding him vigorously while the other holds his very enthusiastic head to her breast. - Oh God! - Diana snorts in disgust and covers her ears, falling back on the floor to try to sleep through it, with little success.

Maximus no longer cares what Diana thinks. He loves her, but she has rejected him too many times, brought too much pain to his heart. He will bring her to Rome if it kills him; give her citizenship as promised and then go on with his life, without her. The man has decided to find an easier woman to deal with, a woman who will want to have his children and grow old with him, someone who won't hurt him and test him continually. - My love for Lucilla fell away when she rejected my marriage proposal, and I then found contentment with Maria. I can make myself move on from Diana and find another who suits me better ..... I think. -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the morning, not caring in the least that Diana can see him, Maximus takes one of the women into the bath with him to slam into over the side while the other woman laughs and washes his back. Again, Diana can hear the intense pleasure he gives to women, but instead of making her wistful for what they could have together, it infuriates and disgusts the feminist within her even more.

When the bath time rutting is finally finished, she draws in a deep breath to ask as calmly as she can, "May I use the bath before we leave too?"

His head angrily snaps around at her. "Slave, I do not care what you do."

"It's about fucking time," she mutters and begins to clean once more before they hit the road.

His Roman clothing has been cleaned overnight, and Maximus is then left to wait impatiently for her to finish. When she has, he grasps the chain and roughly pulls her out of the room to take leave of their host. There is no problem leaving the villa, the episode the night before completely forgotten by Armand, and the man embraces Maximus again. "I hope some day you will travel this way again. Stay and share more news of Rome with me."

"Perhaps. This journey has certainly been educational for myself," Maximus mumbles with a forced smile.

And soon they are headed out of town, Diana walking next to his horse, as he pulls the other behind. A few minutes more and he stops, drops the chain holding her and says quietly, "You may ride the other now."

"Don't suppose you have any spare clothes?" she asks, as she climbs on.

"Nay, but I will purchase you some as soon as I can."

"No thanks. I'm going south. See you around, Max."

Mt. Maximus erupts.

"BY THE GODS, WOMAN!" He's off his horse, grabbing her chain to pull her down before she even has a chance to move.

"What?" she cries, stumbling to her feet while trying to pull away.

"I promised you freedom, and I mean to give it!" he shouts, holding tight to that chain.

"NO! Fuck your freedom! I'm not going back with you! I never told you to come looking for me!"

"Tis a good thing I did," he blusters in her face, "or you would be meat for another! ... Unless that is what you want!"

Mt. St. Diana erupts.

CRACK! Seriously insulted, she slaps him hard across the face.

For a second, watching his eyes fill with deadly fire, Diana is sure he'll strike her back, but Maximus will never do so without damn good reason. Instead, he swings her around fast, wraps part of the chain around her hands and throws her belly first over the horse.

"MAX!" she screams, kicking her legs out and catching him once in the stomach. "Let me up!"

"NAY!" he roars and slaps her ass hard with his palm.

"YOU SHIT!" she shrieks, as he ties rope around her legs and binds her to the horse. "I'll never be with you!"

"I do not care!" he yells right back. "You will have citizenship, and we will go our separate ways in Rome. I can have any woman I want!"

"I HATE ROME!" she thrashes furiously against the rope. "You're all a bunch of pigs!"

"ROME IS MY LIFE!" he rages, slaps her ass again and proceeds to gag her.

Then it's a toss of his bedding thrown over her body to keep the sun from baking her skin, and breathing deeply to calm himself back down, Maximus climbs onto his horse, pulling hers behind him.



CHAPTER 27

Not until darkness does Maximus allow Diana off the horse, and when he does, she crashes hard to the ground, her muscles frozen in pain from cramping. Her struggle to stand, her struggle not to cry out; he watches it all silently with outward dispassion. The chain is kept around her hands behind her back, and the gag stays in place, but as she wears no garments, he allows her just enough privacy to stumble behind a horse and relieve her aching bladder.

A modest fire is made, and Maximus warms a small amount of bread to eat while he watches her glare at him from across the blaze. When he has eaten half of the bread, he walks over, roughly grasps her hair in his hand, pulls down the gag, and shoves the bread in piece by piece, as she chews with undisguised enmity. Next, the bedroll is pulled off her back, and fully clothed, still gripping her chain, he climbs in, opening it in obvious invitation to share warmth with her for the night. At this point, Diana is ready to kill him, and she turns her head up at his invitation to curl onto the ground, as Maximus sighs and lowers his arm. - Her stubbornness will be the death of her one day, or me. -

During the cold night her naked body begins to tremble, and being careful not to wake him, she moves as close to the fire as she can and begins to experimentally pull on the chain. Unfortunately, even in sleep, the Roman's grip does not lessen. Diana's arms are still behind her back, and not able to warm herself enough, she finally gives in and slips into the bedding beside him, curling her body up against his back as close as she can. Maximus woke the moment her foot lifted the blanket, and confident she would not try to truly harm him, he waited to see what she would do, then smiled to himself that she gave in and took the warmth he offered, before falling back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~

The next morning, still pressed against his backside, she wakes and promptly tries to roll her body out from within the blankets. - Oh God! - The ache in her arms and shoulders is too much now, and she groans loudly, as tears run down her face from the horrible cramping pain. Maximus, hearing her muffled cry under the gag, rolls over, sees her struggling and the actual tears of pain, and immediately reaches around to unchain her wrists. Carefully, he moves her arms in front, watching her face clench in agony, and begins to massage her muscles, bringing life back into them.

"I am sorry," he says quietly, his hands rubbing her arms firmly. "Will you ride with me to Rome now? No more chains? I swear I will see you as a free woman, and you will never have to look upon me again."

Her head quickly nods in compliance, and he smiles, pulling the gag down. Diana wants to swear at him, swear and scream bloody murder, but being more concerned with other things at the moment, she rips the gag off her neck and reaches to pull the collar off. "Leave it, please," he says. "We will pass through many towns. I want no problems. You must be seen as my slave so no one will question my right to you."

Another nod of her head again in reluctant understanding, and she stands to silently help him break camp, allowed to keep the bedding over her shoulders for modesty and sun-protection. Naturally, it is a modesty not necessary where Maximus is concerned, but it is a modesty Diana will never completely relinquish no matter how many times the man has seen her bare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They ride through the day in silence, neither willing to break it in their resentment with the other, but when they make camp again that night, Maximus doesn't hesitate to split the food between them, and the stillness continues. Purposely, he leaves the bedding on her back this time, watching to see what she will do, and he shows no surprise to see her spread it out, climb in and wrap herself warmly without invitation to him.

- He's got fucking clothes on! I'm the one always naked! -

- 'Tis MY bedroll! I need not her permission to sleep within it. - And with that thought, he climbs in, turns the opposite way from her and, without a word, drifts right off to sleep.

- Bastard. Knew he wouldn't sleep by the fire. - But, for once, Diana keeps her protests to herself. And with the sullen quietness between them, she soon follows Maximus in sleep to wake only three hours later from a nightmare of being chained to a cross, forced to watch him make love to both Cicero and Lucilla and then forced to fight on her own a tiger in the Coliseum.

Time to leave. - I meant it when I said I hate Rome. I won't go back! -

Very quietly the determined woman leaves the camp, leading one of the horses away into the darkness with not a single ounce of regret able to worm it's way through that fortress around her heart. Forgiveness, even in gratitude, is not an easy thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A scream pierces the night and Maximus is instantly on his feet. Diana is gone. Grabbing his weapons and jumping on his horse, racing into the direction it came from, he rides right into a camp of men that had settled for the night over a hill in the distance. There are enough of them to have left sentries on duty, and a practically weaponless Diana had been spotted walking the horse nearby, easily ambushed. The one dagger she had stolen from Maximus was useless against so many, and now she is paying for it, in the process of being taken by them when Maximus bellows, "RELEASE HER! SHE IS MY SLAVE! MY PROPERTY!"

Armed men immediately surround him, and the leader withdraws from thrusting in Diana to walk over to the stranger that has dared to enter his camp alone. "You claim this female is yours?" And his arm sweeps to her shaking body, curled up in a ball on the ground now, dangerously close to shock.

"Aye," Maximus snarls, struggling with himself not to simply cut down the man who was within her. "She just ran away from me."

"Prove it," the man says. "If she is yours, she will know her master."

"Diana!" he barks, relief washing through him when she looks up at the familiar voice. "Come to me!" he holds his hand out to her. - I beg every God above to make this woman heed me now. -

The Gods have nothing to do with it. Diana is broken, assaulted one too many times in this barbaric time, and with tears running down her face, she crawls to the voice she recognizes as having shown her kindness. On her hands and knees she pulls herself along the ground to this one man who has been her life-line, clutches desperately to his legs in anguish and sobs, completely submissive and ready to do anything he wants now if he'll protect her from further harm.

Although Maximus' heart is breaking at seeing her like this, and he wants so very badly to sweep her into his arms and comfort her, he manages to keep his face impassive, and he reaches only one hand down to pet her gently on the head.

"Why did she run?" the man asks, surprised to see the unusually strong female so meek when it had taken several of his men to hold her down on the ground for him.

"She is stubborn," he answers with a shrug. "Now I will take her and leave."

"Not so fast. There is no law out here. Not that I would care if there was," he laughs. "Fight me, and the winner will keep her." - A beauty she is. When I tire of her, my men may have her. -

"Nay," Maximus replies, glancing at all the men watching them with anticipation. "I have no desire to fight. Let us go."

"Fight or do not fight, you will die either way."

"And if I win, what assurance do I have that your men will allow us to leave?"

"None," he smirks. "If you win, I will be dead. Chance you will have to take."

"So be it," he agrees and gently removes Diana's arms from around his legs.

"Nooooo," a whimper comes to life deep within her throat. She reaches for him, moaning, another piece of sanity slipping away, as Maximus steadies his heart and quickly steps back from her grasp, watching with silence two men pull the woman he loves back to the ground.

A large circle is soon drawn into the ground around him and the leader. But this will not be a fair fight, he realizes as three more men immediately step into the ring, men looking forward to slashing to death a Roman. Unfortunately for them, they don't know just what Roman they're up against, a man who has been training and fighting with a sword longer than some of them have been alive.

Watching the bloody spectacle commence from only feet away, Diana begins to lose herself to the shock taking over her body. Her limp body has gone utterly motionless, her eyes glazed over, as five men continue to move in their savage dance, metal flashing in the moonlight, blood spraying and screams of pain echoing in the hills.

The modern woman has never seen men fight like this before, ferocious brutality with deadly accuracy, causing such damage to flesh that it pushes what residual awareness was left in her even further into her mind. Her last coherent thought before the light in her eyes goes out .... - The kind man will die, and I'll suffer terribly until I die too. - And then Diana is gone, seeing nothing of this horror anymore, only the miraculous escape to soothing life in her own world again, trapping her mind in a place safe from such savagery, mental and physical agony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not a single thing is felt when she is gently lifted from the ground, cradled like a child and placed on a horse to be held in strong arms for the ride back to their own fire. Her eyes are open, but unseeing. And Maximus, recognizing shock for what it is, simply holds her tenderly, stroking her hair while whispering assurances. "Safe with me. Always protect you, always."

He may be extremely fatigued from the fight, but he is also feeling quite surprised that after he killed all four men he was allowed to leave with Diana while the others fought among themselves at who would claim leadership of their band. - Fools to let me go with all my weapons, two horses and a beautiful female. More interested in who will lead such a pitiful group of savages. -

Pulling the other horse behind, he stops only long enough to gather their few possessions and keep riding through the night to put as much distance between them and the marauders they encountered. Diana never stirs. She does not hold him or move, only lays listless in his arms without a sound, her eyes finally closing in sleep. Not until the mid of the next day does the shattered woman move, needing to relieve herself, and Maximus allows a stop for them both, handing her a piece of bread, which she looks at blankly for a moment before placing in her mouth.

"Diana?" he speaks to her gently. "Will you ride on the other horse now? Or do you wish to remain with me?"

She doesn't even look up, showing no sign of hearing him, and his head shakes in sorrow, as he takes her hand to lift her onto the other horse to see if she is capable of riding alone. Reigns hang limply in her hands for a moment, but at a flash of recognition in her eyes, the horse is moved in the direction they had been heading, and not a single glance is given back at the man left standing.

When Maximus wishes to stop at nightfall, he calls to her, breaking the silence, but Diana is still off in her own time and does not appear to hear. Coming astride he stops her horse on his own, pulls her docile body down and leads her to a place to sit so he can proceed with setting up their camp for the night. Without protest, or any word for that matter, Diana eats what is given her, allows the bedding to be pulled off her back and lies within it, staring unseeing up at the stars. Her mind is gone, in all ways but one.

Not until Maximus moves to climb in beside her does her mind awaken briefly. Those green eyes that have been so very lifeless suddenly come to life, a widening in fear of being hurt in a very specific way. Small frightened mewing noises begin to spill from her lips, and those desperate little sounds tear straight into Maximus' heart, giving the man no choice but to sleep alone by the fire, praying that the woman will heal.

The rest of the way back to Rome is spent like this, in silence and submissiveness. And Maximus, having no desire to inadvertently harm her further in any way, never touches Diana intimately, only taking her hand to lead her where he wants her while spending every night with only the warmth of his clothing around him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they finally enter the Capitol, wearing a slave tunic once more, she is brought directly to The Senate building. "Diana," he says, helping her down from the horse. "Maybe this will help bring you back. Come with me and you will be a free woman soon. I have kept my word."

Staring at his hand holding hers, she truly sees it for the first time, and with a very imperceptible nod of her head, Diana gives Maximus his first feeling of hope that she may be finding her way back. The scroll is drawn up quickly at his request, and he signs it, giving her her freedom, seeing now full awareness entering her eyes once again. His hand reaches out in desire to be the one, her ex-master, to officially unfasten the collar of bondage from her neck, but, naturally, Diana swiftly pushes him away, yanks the collar off herself, and with a snort of disgust, drops it at his feet.

With a sigh of relief that she is, indeed, back, but knowing that nothing has really changed between them, Maximus moves on to the next step. A much more detailed scroll of Roman citizenship is presented to him to sign, and being that Diana is a woman, Maximus must now make the decision of whether he will be her guardian or leave her unprotected in legal matters. And if he should choose to be her guardian, which title will he check off on the scroll; Family Member, Spouse, or Lover?

For Lucilla, Maximus had checked off 'Family Member', as they had been raised together at the same hearth for many years, and, until their recent falling out, he had been hoping to continue helping her raise Lucius as a father figure for the young boy. Diana is a different matter. There's a possibility they could be family, many, many generations apart, and they were lovers at one time, but they're certainly not now. And with the way things have settled between them, Maximus knows there is little chance that she will ever consent to be his spouse, although, at this point, it has become an option he is no longer entirely sure he would want her to have.

- I told her we would go our separate ways. I will find another woman who will love me and want my love in return. - And with a shrug of his shoulders, not sure what is the best to do, he checks off 'Lover'.

"Never," he hears her mumble her first word in weeks.

"Agreed," he nods, handing her the scrolls.

There is no celebration of freedom. No fireworks or confetti. She is simply told what is expected of him as her guardian. "I am now responsible to set up a home for you. Provide for you."

"Why do I need a guardian?" she looks up at him for the first time.

"Tis the way things are done. You are a single woman. Someone must be legally responsible for you, take care of any legal matters until you choose a husband."

"Fine. Give me a home and some money to get started then get out of my life. I'll pay you back every fucking piece of gold when I can. And if you expect thanks for something that's a human's God given right, you're not getting it."

"I expect and want nothing from you, Woman," he coolly assures her. "We will never have to see each other again after today. Any transactions for legalities and monetary support can be made through messengers. I WILL provide for you. As a Roman woman of high status now, my lover by document if not in truth, I will not allow you to earn your own coins anymore than I allow Lady Lucilla to do so."

"I bet she's your lover in truth," Diana spits up at him. - He hesitated checking off 'Lover' for me. But I bet he didn't for that slut. -

"I do not see where any relationship I have or do not have with Lady Lucilla should concern you. You have made your feelings for me well-known."

"Yeah, just like you have for me." - Two-timing, lying, cheating bastard. -

A long stare at the ceiling is taken in an effort to control the urge to simply reach out and shake the aggravating woman in front of him, and when that urge is resisted enough to not actually give in to it, he turns away from her, swiftly exiting the room. It leaves the aggravating woman to realize she is truly free at last, smile brightly for the first time in ages, but frown again upon catching sight of Lucilla watching her, and quickly run to fall into step behind Maximus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within the hour, a nearby villa is purchased for her with lady's clothing and furnishings already provided within. Diana only balks at the notion of purchasing slaves at the market, but Maximus counters her protests with giving her a male and female of his own, and, reluctantly, she accepts them. - Don't really wanna be all alone here. Besides, they'll know how to do everything I don't yet. I guess I can live with it. They're gonna be slaves either here or at his place anyways. Be nice if I could just go to the market some day with a ton of gold and buy'em all and set'em all free. Wouldn't THAT rattle their stuffy Roman asses! -

When everything is settled, darkness falling, Maximus takes his formal leave of her. "Farewell Lady Diana of the House of Meridus. I wish you well in your new life." - I can do no more for you. -

"Yeah, bye Max. And hey," she looks at the ground, shuffling her sandaled foot in the dirt to be able to admit something out loud, "I was wrong, I WILL thank you. Not for my actual freedom, which was always mine to begin with, but for .... for ... you know." And her hand moves to her neck, where a collar of some kind or another had always seemed to be for so long.

"Aye," he nods with understanding. "I would have helped anyone I count as a friend from a life such as that."

"I know. I guess we can be friends. You're a good guy, Max." - Just a sucky boyfriend. -

"Friends," he agrees ..... and walks away.



CHAPTER 28

"Yeah, friends," she murmurs to herself and heads back inside her own home.

Maximus stays true to his word. As lonely as they both are, he does not try to see Diana, and she stays far away from him. Now that she has her freedom and citizenship, they both know she needs time to learn a new way of life, and both are willing to wait to see what that life will bring to them.

His thoughts of finding a new wife diminish in the feeling that she no longer despises him and has agreed to be friends, although distant friends, at least for now. And Diana, although wrongfully thinking that he had betrayed her with Lucilla, does not hate him for it any longer. She only wishes to keep her heart closed from further pain and has decided to accept him now for what he is; a man who makes mistakes like any man of her own time.

- I'll never trust him in that way again. If I take a lover, I want it to be monogamous. Obviously, Max is a very sexual man. Wants what he wants. And that's fine, of course. I can accept that. Just not gonna be a part of it, is all. Who knows, someday maybe we'll kick back in whatever they got for bars around here and chug a few brewskies together .... er make that wine and laugh about all this as buddies would. Hell, Quintus and I could BOTH be his bestmen at his next wedding. Wouldn't THAT be a hoot? Then I'll be Auntie Diana, the crazy aunt that takes the kid to all the seedy parts of town to drive his mom crazy. I'm sure Max will have lots of kids with some nice, normal quiet Roman lady he can control the way everything seems to be done in this time. Can't imagine what he must be going through losing his son and wife like that. I may never see my family again, but at least I know they're alive and safe in the future. -

She's right. She can't imagine how his heart is still suffering over that loss and always will. And Maximus, needing to fill in a piece of the hole in some small way, begins to wonder if Lucilla will allow him to spend time with Lucius again. He had already established a friendship with the boy just before his old lover's betrayal of him, and it pains him that Lucius will grow to manhood without a strong father figure if Lucilla does not choose a new lover or spouse soon.

- The woman appears to be waiting to see if I will bed her again. I will not. But I do miss the boy. 'Tis not his fault his mother is of a scheming mind like her brother. I will approach her about spending time with Lucius again. 'Tis within my right as the boy's guardian. I simply do not wish to bring another fight between us, if at all possible. -

And with that decision, Maximus begins a new phase of his life. Fortunately, for his conscious and his heart, Lucilla is very agreeable to allowing Maximus to spend time with her son. A boy of only eight years needs the guidance of a respected man such as The General of Rome. Maximus may no longer hold the title of Protector, but he is still General of the Army, an army in rest until it is decided when and if they will be needed for further expansion of Roman territory. If that time comes, Maximus will likely turn over full command to Quintus, enabling him to officially retire and enjoy his remaining years between Rome, near Lucius and Diana, and Trujillo, in his beloved homeland of Hispania.

As Maximus is spending time getting to know Lucius more and more, keeping his thoughts off Diana as much as he can, Diana is spending time traveling the city during the day with her two slaves, learning everything she can about the different ways of Roman life, and soon hiring, with Maximus' money, a young handsome Greek tutor to come to her villa at night and teach her about, what to her is, ancient Greece.

The woman wants to earn her own money, but has yet to discover a way to. Everything she has tried so far in polite society has been blocked by the simple knowledge everyone has that she is not only a lady of status, but that she is also the lover of Maximus, and no one will hire her for any chore of any kind. Fiercely independent, Diana is not about to give up, although her quest for knowledge to keep her mind active has pushed her to use his coinage to hire the tutor. - If I don't do SOMETHING with my evenings, I'm gonna go insane! Never in my life would I have thought I'd sell my soul to watch even a Brady Bunch marathon! -

When Maximus discovers, however, where his money is being spent, on a handsome man staying in the villa for hours a night with Diana, he pretty much goes insane, himself. Not just because of the money, of course, but at the very thought that his 'friend' has actually chosen her lover ... and it wasn't him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHERE IS HE?" is the roar ringing through her villa one night, as he storms in past her two terrified slaves.

"Max!" she shouts in surprise, quickly standing from the floor where they had been sitting for the lesson. The Greek, as terrified as the slaves, jumps to his feet and begins searching for a way out of the room with his hide intact.

"Move away, Woman," Maximus growls when she automatically steps between them.

"No fucking way! You can't just come in here, in MY home and bully people!"

"I can do whatever I wish in MY home, Woman! Mine by law!"

Will the man EVER learn?

"Then you can take YOUR fucking home," her finger pokes into his chest, "and shove it up your ass!"

"And where will you live?" he sneers, batting her finger off him. "A woman of status with no home?"

"I .... I'll move in with Theseus, right?" she turns to look at her tutor.

"WHAT?" his face begins to turn purple with rage.

Theseus isn't looking too well, himself. The poor Greek appears ready to faint and speaks quickly in an effort to keep breathing. "I swear General Maximus, I have not touched your woman. I swear on my life. Please Sir, I do not wish to die."

"Oh for the love of God," Diana mutters loudly, as she suddenly remembers what he once said about most likely killing any lover she would choose. "Is that what this is all about? You ran all the way over here because you thought I was banging my tutor?"

"Tutor?" he repeats, trying to push images of her in the man's embrace out of his mind while he glances down at all the scrolls on the floor. - Aye, tutor he was. Not a lover paid to spend time with her. -

"Yeah, toooo-terrrrr," she drones sarcastically. "Gets pretty fucking boring hanging around here all the time by myself at night. Just trying to learn a little Greek language and history, is all."

"No more," her guardian decides. "If you wish entertainment in the evening, I shall provide it for you."

"Oh no no no no no, I don't want to owe you any more money than I already do!"

As if for guidance, Maximus looks upwards, the Greek forgotten. - I will never be able to make her understand that she has no need to pay me back for anything as a man would. As Guardian, 'tis my duty to provide for her. A duty I chose and have no desire to forfeit or fail in. - "It will be coins spent on myself too," he explains to head off another quarrel. "I will be here tomorrow evening for entertainment, My Lady."

"Ummmm all right," she warily agrees. "But just to be clear, Max, when you say entertainment, you're not like thinking ..... you know .... the horizontal tango?"

"Horizontal what?" he asks, confused, as usual, in conversation with her.

"You know," she rolls her eyes, using her fingers to show him what she means so as not to say it out loud in front of Theseus.

Staring at her fingers, a low thunder-type noise begins to verberate in the large chest in front of her, working its way up as his body starts to shake in accompaniment. In seconds, Maximus has erupted into loud laughter, his hands clasped onto his knees in desperation to keep himself from falling to the floor in hilarity.

The Greek, seeing that this is the best time to escape, quickly scurries from the room, never to come back. "Oh great," she laughs, clutching her sides, as tears roll down her cheeks matching his. "You scared my tutor off. Now who's going to teach me Greek?"

"Do not worry, My Lady," he laughs in merriment and jokes, "I will find you a new toooo-terrrr. An old man this time."

Still laughing, Diana just shakes her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day is spent with butterflies in her stomach, and Diana would be quite surprised if she knew that Maximus is also spending the day feeling the same way, nervous. Stola after stola is tried on, her hair fixed in all kinds of elaborate styles, all the while subconsciously trying to look her best for what she has come to realize will be a night on the town with Maximus, a date.

- No! Not a date! Just a night out! As friends! - they both try to convince themselves with similar thoughts.

And when the time comes, Maximus arrives ..... in a chariot.

.... "WOOOOHOOOO!!!" she's shouting in jubilation at feeling the rush of air whizzing past them. "Too bad it doesn't fly, huh?" she laughs up at him standing behind her with his arms on each side of her to control the horses.

"Aye," he laughs. "I wish I could make it fly for you, but I must admit this way of flying on the ground is enough for me."

"That's OK, Max," she pats his arm affectionately. "If you teach me to drive this thing, it'll be enough for me too."

"I will, and I could teach you many other things," he rumbles in her ear.

"What was that?" she asks, not catching the end of what he said with the roar of the horses in front of them.

"Twas nothing," he says louder and smiles at her grin of delight beaming up at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ride over, he takes her to a playhouse where he soon discovers that this second part of the night is a mistake. Maximus had not taken the time to check first on what play the Greeks were performing, as he had only decided on it that afternoon as something she might like to enjoy with him, and now they are squirming in their seats at seeing actors on stage portraying .THEM.

- Oh Dear God, - she groans to herself, slumping in her seat in mortal embarrassment to see the effeminately made up man portraying her kiss and embrace the man portraying Maximus.

Maximus is just as embarrassed, not only at the romantic scenes, but also at the way they portray him fighting the tigers as if all he had to do was snap his fingers and the beasts simply fell over dead for him. - If only it would have been that easy. If only things had been different after the Coliseum . If only .. -

"I think we should leave," she whispers to him. "I don't know about you, but I'd just as soon not see how they end this play."

"I agree," he grunts and they quickly escape, red-faced but soon laughing together, onto the street. Neither has seen in their enjoyment with each other that Cicero, who indentured himself willingly to Lucilla, has been keeping a close watch on them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Full dark now, he returns her to her villa and they stand in the courtyard. She's looking up at the stars; nervously telling him how someday people will walk on the moon. Maximus, looking up in wonder at the moon, has little problem believing her, knowing that Diana would have no reason to speak false to him about such an incredible event. "And in your time, when a man and a woman love each other, they marry and have children, too, correct?"

"Yeah," she answers. "Sometimes. Sometimes no marriage, just living together, and sometimes no kids. Every couple is different. Society is a bit less strict about rules and stuff than in your time."

"Diana," he speaks suddenly after a pause. "I too was wrong about something."

"About what?" she asks, her eyes searching the stars again.

"I believe I could live in any time," he replies quietly, his own eyes on the stars, "if you were there too."

It's felt now, a crack in the fortress around her heart. Her head turns at the same time as his, staring at each other, wondering, but quickly broken from their thoughts when the sound of rapid hoof beats reach them, a messenger sent from Lucilla. Lucius is missing.


CHAPTER 29

In a flash, Maximus has left Diana to hurry to the palace. And Diana, although worried for the boy, was quite willing to stay behind, not needed, and not about to spend time in the same room with the woman she believes is Maximus' lover. - I .... I can take him marrying anyone. Just not her. Had a lot of fun with the big guy tonight. I was right. We can be buddies. Hang together like I did with guys in my own time. Everything will be cool, I think. Just gotta find a way to stop having to take his money all the time. Hate that! Gotta be something these high society types will let me do to earn my own way ..... Hey! Wait a minute! Who said I have to earn money from the tightasses? I bet there's another way! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, while Maximus spends time with Lucius, who was found safe on the far palace grounds, confused at why his mother told him to go for a walk, but not to tell anyone she told him, Diana sets into motion a way to finally be independent from Maximus. And that night, she tries it. It brings her good money. The people she is with don't really care who she is, and Maximus will never find out . she hopes.

Another day follows, and Maximus calls upon her in the late morning. "I would be honored if you would ride with me again. Although I know of no female charioteers, I can begin teaching you how to handle the chariot yourself, if you still wish."

"Wow, that sounds cool, Max, but how about tomorrow? I'm not really feeling so great today," she lies, having no idea what to tell him so he doesn't try to ruin her night at making money again. - Hate lying to him. Guy doesn't really deserve it. But Christ Almighty he'd go ballistic if he knew. And he won't let me earn money like I want, so I just don't have a choice now. -

"If you are ill, I will bring a physician at once," he says with sudden worry, not sensing a lie where her health is concerned, as he usually would.

"No no, that's OK, Max," she laughs lightly. "I'll be fine, it's just .... ummmm you know ..... Aunt flo is visiting."

"Aunt flo?" he looks around her in surprise for another woman in the courtyard.

- Oh geez, I give up! - "I'm bleeding, Max. Woman time and all that gunk gushing right out of me with lots of fun time cramps. Get it now?"

Eyes widen at talking about it out loud in such a crude way with a woman, especially a lady of status, especially a lady he loves. Red-faced, he stammers a, "I .... I see. Of course. When you feel better, My Lady." And The Great General of Rome, in utter embarrassment, practically trips over his own two feet to back out of the courtyard as fast as he can.

It's all Diana can do not to laugh at him, remembering quite well a few guys in her own time that would also act all weird about something as natural as menstruation. - Well, it worked. Free tonight to make some more money. And Mr. Prim and Proper will never know Aunt flo came last week! -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maximus has headed back to the palace, hoping to spend another day with Lucius now. - Aunt flo! - he laughs to himself, embarrassment gone. - My Lady Diana comes out with the strangest expressions, and I love her all the more for it. I suspect, in time, we will come together again. 'Twas meant to be, and I will continue to keep my bed free of any other until she chooses to share herself with me. Thank the Gods she does not appear to be interested in taking another lover like I once feared. -

When the evening draws upon them, Lucius requests that Maximus bring him to the inner-city underground sports arena. Cicero, with Lucilla's permission, had told him that they are much fun, no one dies, and to ask Maximus to take him but to not tell him where he had heard of it. Cicero, a man who listens everywhere, and Lucilla have a very special reason for wanting Maximus to go there tonight.

Maximus does not even think to ask Lucius any questions, understanding well that boys have a natural curiosity about any type of sport. After a moment's thought, a nod of permission from Lucilla, he agrees to take Lucius that night to the very place he used to go, himself, in his carefree youth to watch the wrestling bouts and even earn coins by wrestling and gambling occasionally. It's within a dark part of the City, but Lucius will be quite safe with Maximus, and although there may be blood, as everyone knows, there will be no death. Wrestling bouts for coinage. A way for men to test themselves against others with the victor bringing home the spoils.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Wow! - Diana thinks again for the second night, dressed in just a loincloth with a tight band around her chest. - Kinda understand the high men get from wrestling on TV now. Thank God these guys don't seem to care I'm a woman once I showed'em what I could do. And I'm just wearing, like a bikini, is all. Something I always did back home on the beach. If I can win a few more matches, won't be long before I can start gambling some of it on the others and not have to do this anymore. Pay every cent back to Max and keep gambling to make my own way. This no-holds-barred one-on-one wrestling without weapons is perfect for me. These idiots don't have a clue at all the moves I got. All I gotta do is never let one of 'em get me in a bear hug or knock me full in the face, and I'm cleaning up here! None of 'em can move as fast as me! -

The men who run the small underground arena are enjoying having Diana there. Once word reached the streets that the very quick and strong-limbed woman was coming back for a second night, the arena seats filled with lower class men and woman passing money back and forth, a percentage of all deals going to the 'house'.

The management, and many of the spectators, knows full well who Diana is, as her face has been painted and carved by many artists along with Maximus', but as long as she is a free woman, unmarried and unbonded, they are not doing anything illegal and are quite willing to risk the general's wrath by allowing her to wrestle. There is no law on record actually prohibiting women from wrestling, so Diana, being the first female to request to do so, is reaping the benefits of it now.

When her time comes, she hears the announcer describe her as the Fire-Headed Amazonian Warrior Woman who has captured all of Rome with her beauty and courage. - What a buncha bull! - she laughs to herself.

Maximus is not laughing. "WAIT!" he shouts in shock, recognizing the description as not likely to be anyone but HIS woman, and he quickly stands in the private balcony he is sharing with Lucius to look for her.

It's too late. The crowd doesn't even hear his continued shouts. Diana is walking out, and men and women are already roaring with applause at seeing her below. Knowing what this really is, entertainment for the masses, she glances up once, waves and smiles, and then turns all her focus onto the man that they've pitted her against.

Maximus, still standing in disbelief, watches as the match ends in seconds. Diana has flipped the man twice, jabbed his windpipe brutally and knocked him out. "Incredible!" Lucius exclaims with glee. "That is Lady Diana! I cannot wait to tell Mother of this!"

"Stay here!" Maximus orders the boy. And while the crowd is applauding and another man is walking out of the tunnel to fight her, he jumps twelve feet to the ground, landing on his feet right in front of Diana. "HOW DARE YOU?"

"Go away!" she yells right back at him. "I'm trying to earn a goddamned income! You're holding the line up!"

"THEN FIGHT ME!" he roars, and the crowd, hearing that delightful announcement, quickly passes coins back and forth again with relish.

"You? No weapons, Max! No rope! No fucking chains! Just you and me! And unless you've forgotten, I got the better of you more than once!"

"It will be a cold day in Hades before you do so again, Woman," he growls with fury, throwing down all his weapons to the ground.

"And money! I'm taking your money fair and square now! Throw down coins for the match, you chauvinistic pig!"

"Aye, here," he tosses them into the dirt at her feet. "And when I win, we will have another match in private at my villa. No woman of mine will dishonor herself and my hearth in this way."

No, never learns.

"Ha! Woman of yours? We'll see about THAT!" And losing her temper at the thought of him still seeing her as HIS woman, Diana lunges at him to feel him grab her arms and swing her brutally into a wall.

It's not nearly enough to stop her. "Let's see you do that again!" she taunts him, dancing around him now on the balls of her feet.

"You move very quickly for a woman being visited by her Aunt flo," Maximus casually remarks, producing the desired effect of freezing her in place just long enough.

And seconds later, Diana is flying into the wall again. "You bastard," she hisses, jumping back onto her feet with a grunt of pain.

"Aye, and you be a lying bitch, a whore who will spend time almost bare with other men and not with her own, a whore who will suck a stranger's essence down her belly but not the essence of her own man."

"WHAT?" she screeches in full womanly fury now. "You're calling ME a whore? You're the one sleeping around with every Tom, Dick, and Harry. And I mean that fucking literally, Mr. Ass Man! Not to mention that fucking bitch, Lucilla!"

Naturally, the two ex-lovers, about to either make or break their relationship completely, have both totally forgotten about the crowd watching in awe above them. "ENOUGH!" he commands. "Other than the slave women of Armand, I have taken no other since I declared my love for you in Germania by the cliff!"

"WHAT? Now who's the fucking liar? I SAW YOU IN YOUR OWN BED! I WAS THERE! I SAW YOU!!" And she rushes him; putting every ounce of strength she has into kicking his legs out from under him.

Maximus lands with a thud, immediately pulling Diana down on top of him. Instantly, she begins beating him with her fists with everything she's got, finally taking her frustration and heartbreak out on the man she both loves and hates, and he's letting her. "I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!" she's screaming in his face with tears running down her cheeks, as her fists hammer solidly onto his chest and shoulders.

When a fist lands hard on his face, however, Maximus decides he's had enough, and with a quick roll of his body, he's pinned her down and is holding her arms still, as her body continues to thrash wildly beneath his. "HEED MY WORDS!" he shouts in her enraged face, as he tries to avoid her snapping teeth. "MY MIND WAS ADDLED THAT NIGHT! I THOUGHT IT WAS YOU IN MY BED! CICERO CONFESSED THAT LUCILLA HAD HIM PUT A MIX IN MY WINE! ON MY LIFE, ON MY LOVE FOR MY SON, I THOUGHT IT WAS YOU! I DESIRE NO ONE BUT YOU!"

"On ..... on your love for your son? No one?" her body stills, as her eyes widen with surprise, searching his for the truth.

"No one, Diana," his voice lowers, his lips about to close the distance. "Only you. I love you."

"Ohhhh Max .... I ....,"

And the ground begins to shake ......



CHAPTER 30

Maximus and Diana stare up at the stands. Everything is shaking, men are shouting, women are screaming, and the place looks like it could come apart at any minute. "LUCIUS!" Maximus cries towards the balcony, jumping up to run for the child.

- Earthquake? - Diana wonders in terror, running after him. Diana, a native of New England, has never felt the ground shake like this before. Only small quakes would occasionally vibrate through the northeast from Canada, and this is much more like something she's seen in disaster movies on TV. Maximus, however, has been through them before in his travels, and he is frantic to reach the boy before the stand collapses.

Lucius, a smart child, thankfully, may be terrified, but he immediately exited the balcony and is making his way through the throng of people in the stands, trying his best to get to Maximus. His small body pushes between legs, as Maximus pushes aside torsos until the child has jumped into his arms, and the very grateful man carries the boy with one arm, grabs tight to Diana's hand and brings them out into the street.

"I must make sure his mother is safe!" he shouts over the noise. And making their way down the tumultuous streets, dodging people and horses, they eventually come to the palace courtyard.

The entire building is shaking, like others all around them, and no one is paying any attention to the screams of two people coming from a small fissure in the ground. "LUCILLA!" Maximus calls.

"OVER HERE!" she screams. "HELP ME!"

"AND ME, MASTER! HELP ME PLEASE!" cries Cicero.

Lucius is placed on the ground, and Maximus runs to the fissure with Diana. They can see Lucilla and Cicero hanging onto rocks, unable to pull themselves out with all the shaking. Neither thinks twice about it. Maximus drops flat to reach towards Lucilla out of love for the boy, and Diana drops flat to reach towards Cicero out of basic duty to help another human in dire circumstance.

They're inching their way down to them when a high pierced shriek sounds out. Whipping their heads around, they see Lucius disappear into a new fissure, and before they can even jump back to their feet, the ground shakes so badly again that Lucilla and Cicero lose their purchase and fall screaming to their deaths. It's a miracle that Diana and Maximus didn't tumble in right behind them.

Destiny, cheated out of being allowed to take Maximus, who would have died if Diana hadn't interfered in Germania, has claimed two others in his place. Destiny is contented now.

"Son of a bitch!" Diana shouts, scurrying away from the fissure as Maximus does the same, then both quickly running to where Lucius fell.

"There he is!" he yells and tries to reach him. Lucius is on a small ledge, unmoving, his slender body just barely fitting in the space, precariously close to falling to his death. "GODS! I cannot reach! Find me rope!" he orders her in desperation.

"There's no time, Max! That ledge is crumbling around him! Lower me down!"

"NAY! I won't lose you!" he shakes his head violently at the idea, knowing the fissure could close at any moment and crush her.

"If you don't, you'll lose him! There's no other way!" And she dives into the fissure, praying to God that the man will grab her feet.

As though the Fates are with them, the shaking stops, and Maximus is just able to get his hands wrapped around the ankles flying past him, as her body slams into the side of the fissure with a loud groan. "Diana!" he calls down.

"I'm OK! Just hold on and lower me. Hurry Max, he's going to fall right off that ledge!"

"I will not let go!" he pledges loudly, as though daring the Gods to throw something at them again. "We will all die together before I will let you go!" - I would prefer death to life without you! -

"I got him! Lift me up! Oh My God! Hurry!"

It's an aftershock, or, perhaps, the Gods are angered now, and with it is the closing of the fissures in the courtyard. Lucilla's and Cicero's bodies will never be found, crushed into the earth, just like Diana's and Lucius' will be if Maximus doesn't get them out fast enough. Nothing, though, not even the Gods, will stop Maximus from saving the two people he loves, and with a mighty heave, they're over the top, just in time. Lucius is bleeding and unconscious in Diana's arms, and Maximus embraces them both, weeping out loud with joy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, they're living in the palace, both villas destroyed, and all their belongings, slaves and everything has been moved into two separate quarters of the large building. Maximus has taken over Marcus' and Commodus' old suites of rooms, and Diana is staying nearby in Lucilla's.

Lucius recovered consciousness in Maximus' arms, as he was being carried to a physician, and the boy now trails after Maximus in utter hero worship. It was discovered that first night that he will no longer sleep well on his own, nightmares of the shaking and losing of his mother terrifies him, and unless Maximus stays by his side all night, the boy thrashes and cries out continuously for him. Naturally, after that first night of hearing the child's torment, Maximus has allowed Lucius to sleep in his large bed with him each night, keeping the child soothed. Neither adult questions this. The boy needs it. He's been traumatized, like much of the City, and with so much work to be done rebuilding, healing and helping others, they decide to hold back any true intimacy they may have been about to unleash before the earthquake.

There is also no question of Maximus' motives. Diana may understand why he turned to Cicero when he couldn't be with his wife, Cicero having been a young man of 15 when they met, but it never even once crosses her mind that Maximus would be the kind of man that would do anything immoral with a child as young as Lucius. It doesn't cross her mind anymore than it crosses Maximus'. The man is truly a lover of women, not men, and only one woman in particular, Diana.

The only thing that upsets Diana about Lucius is that the boy obviously dislikes her. No matter what she tries, he won't spend time alone with her, and he does whatever he can to stick to Maximus and keep them from having any quiet moments together.

Lucius is only projecting his mother's own dislike of Diana onto her now. He never knew exactly why his mother spoke badly of her. He only knows that it keeps his mother closer to him to continue with it by treating Diana coolly. And seeing how Maximus and she had fought in the arena, how Diana called his mother a bitch, and conveniently forgetting that Maximus had also declared his love for her on that ground, makes the boy happy to keep them apart, worried that Diana will take his mother's place if he doesn't. Lucius had never seen or heard that Maximus and Lucilla had stopped being friends. He only remembers that they were once close, stopped talking for a while, probably because of Diana, and began talking cordially again in the days before the quake. It's enough for him.

At the elaborate funeral, Lucilla for her status as Caesar's daughter and Cicero for his once fond place within Maximus' heart, the child breaks down sobbing, and Maximus holds him dearly. His arms may be wrapped around the child to help soothe his grief, but his face remains impassive, only gazing occasionally with gratitude at Diana, who had almost not attended, but had changed her mind at the last minute out of respect for their memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that evening ..

"Max," she finally manages to catch him alone in one of the great palace hallways. "Are you OK? I .. I know how much you used to love her. And Cicero, he was special to you."

"Aye," he smiles warmly that she has worried for him. "I loved her for many years in my youth. If she had not betrayed me, I would love her still as a friend. But Lucilla chose to deceive me. I do not mourn her. As for Cicero, he chose to blind himself from a truth I never hid from him. He was once special to me, but he destroyed that in his greed for more. I will never shed a tear for either of them."

"Well," she looks at the floor, not sure what to say, "I'm glad you're all right. I don't think they were, you know, completely horrible people, or anything like that, just .. just loved you so much it messed them up when they lost you, I guess."

"Love can do that," he agrees. "Shame. I would have valued them as life long friends, by my side in my happiness at finding an eternal love with you, My Diana."

"Max," her heart flutters, as his hand moves to touch her.

"Maximus!" Lucius runs up.

Another moment interrupted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the City is back on its feet, much of the work done, Diana, feeling empty and lonely, unable to reach out to Maximus who is always busy with Lucius, decides that she's had quite enough of palace life. He finds her one late evening while Lucius is bathing, sitting high in a tree in the garden while staring up at the stars and full moon over the palace walls.

"Diana? Come down, please. You may fall."

"No. I know it's stupid, but I keep hoping I'll see some sign of technology up there. Space shuttle or something. I don't know .... just .. something. Even a fucking Klingon warship would be kind of nice right now."

"Kleen-on?"

"Yeah," she laughs. "Klingon .... Kleen-on ..... Remind me to tell you all about a very special Five-Year Mission some day ..... Fascinating." And she lifts her eyebrow in fond memory of one of her favorite Trek characters.

Maximus chuckles, knowing full well he is being teased about something in the future, something he will probably never understand completely, and he does not mind in the least. "Max?" she calls down, suddenly serious. - Time to make a hard decision. -

"Aye, My Love?"

"Ahhhh, about that. We need to talk."

"Come down." - I will talk with you and love with you all night, if now is the time. -

"No, you come up. Please."

A sigh, one of millions more he is sure she will cause him, and he climbs into the tree to sit near her on another sturdy limb. "Tis about Lucius," he states, not quite the clueless man like so many are, Diana realizes in surprise.

"No .. I mean ... yeah, a little ....," she stammers, not particularly wanting to blame a poor traumatized child on their relationship problems. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, anything."

"OK, but you don't have to answer if it's too personal. I understand. I .... I just want to know, if you'll tell me the truth."

"Diana," he says firmly, reaching out to run his hand through her hair. "I will always speak truth to you. Ask me what you will."

"Is Lucius ....," she pulls her head away to be able to finish the question without distraction. "Is he your son, real son, like Marius was?"

"Nay," he answers immediately. "My physical relationship with Lucilla was long over before Lucius was conceived. I did not realize you were bothered by the thought that he may have been born a son of my loins. He is a son of my heart now."

"No, not bothered, Max. Not really. Just needed to know. Doesn't change anything one way or the other for me. He really needs you. I understand that. He doesn't need me .... I'm still leaving."

"Leaving?" he cries, almost falling out of the tree.

"Yeah," she quickly reaches out to help him steady himself. "Nobody needs me here, Max. I need to move on. I don't feel useful hanging around the palace all day."

"Nay!" he refutes it sharply. "I need you, Diana! You are very useful to me!"

"That's sweet, Max," she laughs lightly. "I appreciate it. I really do. But it's not enough. I need to DO something."

Think. Think very carefully.

"Bond with me as lovers again, as a free woman this time," he offers with all seriousness. "We will have another bonding ceremony."

"No," she refuses him flatly without hesitation.

He didn't think.

"Nay?" he struggles to keep the hurt out of his voice. "I do not understand."

"Didn't expect you would," she shakes her head sadly.

One last chance ... and another epiphany strikes.

"Marry me."

"WHAT?" And SHE almost falls out of the tree this time.

"I beg your forgiveness, My Lady. I should have asked you to be my spouse, not just my lover. I did not ask, as I felt you would say nay, but that you might say aye to being my lover again. I was wrong."

"I .... I need to think about it .... OK?" - Oh My God! Marriage?! Lucilla said he only asked her once. But I just can't say yes so fast .... Can I? -

"Of course," he replies easily, no doubt in his mind now that she'll accept when she's ready to say it. "And we will have a proper marriage bed. I will find a way to make Lucius sleep in his own chamber again."

"Uhhhh yeah, little steps, though. Don't push the kid too hard too fast."

"Push? I do not plan to push him anywhere."

"Never mind," she laughs. "But even if I do accept, be your .... wife. Doesn't change anything, Max. I still need something to do."

"Being my wife and lover would not be enough? Raising our children?" he asks with honest surprise that a woman could seriously want for more.

"Please, Max. Don't take this wrong. But ..... no."

Another sigh. Another epiphany. "I believe it has nothing to do with us. 'Tis something from your life before. You will always be a woman of your time. I understand that now."

- Someone give the man a kewpie doll! He's finally figured it out! God, I love him ..... I do? Yeah, I do. - "I'm glad we finally understand each other, Max. I'll marry you, on one condition."

"Everything I have is yours, My Love." - All I wish from you is to once hear your love for me. -

"Good, since you won't take the money I made from the arena as payback, I want to use it. Use it to open a school for girls. And I'll need more money."

"And teach them what? Women of status are already educated."

"Not the privileged classes, Max. ALL girls in the City. All races you got living around here. Not just the pure Roman girls. I want to teach any girl I can get my hands on how to read and write and defend herself. Stop being little meek missies and start standing up for themselves; use their brains, not just their bodies to make their lives better."

Maximus is trying to picture it, a city full of women like Diana someday. He's not quite sure the typical man is up for the challenge, but it will sure be interesting to watch being married to the prototype. - If it makes her happy and keeps her by my side, I will not refuse. - "I will help you in any way I can."

"Thank you," she smiles brightly at him. "I love you, too."

Diana has said the words out loud for the first time, finally willing to give not only her heart, but her soul to a man of this time. With joy, their arms fly out to embrace each other. Too late, however, they realize that neither is holding onto the tree anymore, and with a combined cry of surprise, they fall right to the ground ... laughing.


CHAPTER 31

One month later. Full moon.

Diana's school is a success. She is content and busy running it, trying in some small way to bring confidence and independent thinking to women of ancient Rome. And it's working, slowly but surely.

Lucius has finally warmed to Diana, having been told by Maximus that it was Diana who had actually pulled him out of the crevasse and risked her life to save him. Needing a flesh and blood mother figure much more than a ghost he never quite understood to begin with, he began talking with her, touching her, and Diana happily stepped up to try to be that mother for him. The child no longer has nightmares of the quake and has been able to sleep in his own chamber for the last week, and he is now very happy that the two loving adults in his life have just bonded in marriage, a short, private ceremony, beautiful in it's simplicity.

Diana, having been busy with the school and spending time with Lucius too, had managed to hold Maximus off until their wedding night, wanting it to be as special as possible between them to finally erase the twinges of disappointment she still felt occasionally at how he took her in the cell for her first time. Forgiveness may have been given completely in their mutual love, but forgetting is something else entirely.

Maximus understood, agreed, although a bit reluctantly, and endured the remaining weeks without serious complaint. Only kisses and light touches were passed between the two since that night in the tree, and now they are both eagerly looking forward to consummating their marriage.

When their few guests have finally departed, and Diana has just given him a knowing look and also disappeared, Maximus deliberately waits a few more minutes to give his new wife time to prepare for him. Then, feeling as nervous as though a young virgin, he slowly enters their bedchamber, his blood pumping in anticipation.

Diana's not there.

Heart gripping that the woman has changed her mind once again and left him, his eyes quickly scan their bed, searching to see if the gold wedding bracelet has been left behind as a symbol of farewell to him. - Thank the Gods 'tis not here! - And he takes a moment to glance down at his own gold bracelet, rubbing it in thought while wondering where his beloved could have possibly gone and why.

Minutes later, he walks outside to the garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is only one real issue Diana has not resolved within herself yet. The fact that she will never leave this time and will never see her family and friends again. And, to make it worse, she has just been married with not even her parents there to share in her happiness. Diana, a very happy bride, had been undressing in their bedchamber to wait for Maximus when she started crying, her body shaking uncontrollably, and she was just not able to find a way to stop. Not wanting him to come in and find his new wife bawling like a baby, she had grabbed a large blanket and ran to the garden.

Maximus soon finds her wrapped in the blanket, sitting under the tree where she had accepted his marriage proposal and told him that she loved him exactly one month before. Realizing her husband has found her; Diana looks up, trying hard to wipe the tears away before he can see them.

"Diana," he murmurs softly, kneeling down beside her in the moonlight. "Do you cry because you do not wish to be my wife now?" - I will release you from marriage, but I will die if you leave me.

"No, M ...M... Max," she hiccups. "I'mmm mmm mmm sorry. I .... I .... I just .... I just .... Oh Max, it hurts so much still .... ," she gives up and starts sobbing with her arms still clutched tightly around her legs.

"What hurts?" he asks with alarm, gently pulling her face close to his to search for an answer to ease her pain.

"I love you so much, Max," fresh tears fall from her eyes. "I do."

"I know you do, Diana," his own eyes begin to brim in response. "As I you."

"But .... but I love them too! I miss them so much! I'll never see them again! They probably think I'm long dead in a chopper crash! They'll never know how happy I am with you!"

"Oh My Love," he cries, understanding now and immediately covering her in his arms to rock her gently while she continues to release the last of her pain.

When those anguished tears come to their natural end, Maximus hands her something, her military dog tags. He had kept them to himself all along, all that is left of her world now, the rest deep in the dark sea with her chopper. For once, Diana doesn't know what to say, but he does. "Perhaps we can find a way to leave them a message that will stand the test of time. Let them know it is from you and you were alive and happy after you disappeared from your time. With stone and metal, I may be able to fashion something with these to pass down to our children and they to their children and so on. We will keep it only in our family with an oral telling of the facts so what is our story does not become a curiosity to be discarded by future civilizations."

"That's a great idea, Max, except for one thing." And her mind begins to churn at thinking of all the paradoxes it could create. "If a descendant of ours brings that message to my parents at the wrong time, or worse, to me, like just before I left to fly that day, then maybe I wouldn't fly? Maybe it would change everything and we'd never meet?"

"Do you really believe that, My Love?" he asks gently. "That we are not truly meant to be together?"

"You're right, we are," she smiles at the thought. "It's the only thing that makes sense anymore. I think that even if I saw that message before I got in my chopper, it wouldn't stop me. I'd either just laugh it off as a hoax or dive right in, a piece of me wanting to believe in a fairytale of a wonderful man waiting for me on the other end of a tunnel. I may have had a lot of friends and family, but I have to admit the dating pool really sucked, and I was getting pretty lonely."

"And I am lonely out here while you keep the blanket to yourself," he laughs softly.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" she teases him. "It's our wedding night. Haven't we waited long enough?"

"Woman," Maximus growls playfully and tugs open the blanket, hissing in breath at seeing her completely nude beneath it.

Once again, the woman has completely surprised him.

Diana laughs, eagerly pulling him down onto her and wraps the blanket around them both for warmth and added privacy. And this time, under the stars and moon in the beautiful palace garden, the ancient Roman general and the 21st century colonel ..... make love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


EPILOGUE - Present Day

"Colonel Meridus! Colonel Meridus!" an aide rushes out onto the airfield holding something towards her. "This package for you says 'Urgent', but the mail room clerk said he just found it wedged behind a broken shelf. Looks like it's been there for years."

"Wonderful," she grunts, taking it from his hand to look at the postage date and return address. - Yup, long lost mail .. from Spain? Must be Dad's family. - "I don't have time," she tosses it back to him, pushing aside the weird tingling at the base of her spine in her hurry to leave. "I'm due at General Armand's base and in no mood for a dressing down from the man on being late." - I've seen his tongue cut down officers like a whip. -

"But Sir, it says 'Urgent'. Maybe you should open it or take it with you?"

"Lieutenant Maxwell, just how urgent can it be if it's sat in the mail room for years? Take it to my quarters, and I'll check it out when I get back."

"Yes Sir."

And without another thought of the strange package that will end up in her parent's hands within the month, Colonel Diana Meridus climbs into her chopper and flies off to keep her date .. with Time.



~*~ FINIS ~*~

© M. Goss