Title: Gabriel Knight and the Changeling

Author: Scribe

Fandom: Gabriel Knight

Pairing: None

Status: WIP

Sequel/Series:

Archive: Yes. Just tell me where, give credit, and provide an email address for feedback.

Criticism: Yes.

Feedback: Yes. poet_77665@yahoo.com

My private forum at fanfiction.net is http://www.fanfiction.net/index.fic?fanaction=userforum&RoomID=1762
Web pages: Scribe Scribbles at http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/scribescribbles for original prose, poetry and madness, and fanfiction. The Poetic Site, for my X Files Krycek/Mulder Poetic slash series. http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/foxluver Most of my work can also be found at http://www.fanfiction.net under the name Scribe.

Disclaimer: Gabriel Knight and Baron Friederich von Glower belong to the talented Jane Jensen, and the well markeeted Sierra. I highly recommend the original PC games. All other characters and the story are my own invention.

Summary: The beginning of a story that will find Gabriel Knight, the Schattenjaeger, and his new partner and lover, Baron Friederich von Glower (an ancient werewolf) involved with the faerie realm, and changelings. In Sweden, a new mother insists that the child she is brought is NOT her baby. The staff comes to see that something is terribly wrong, but the infant could not have been switched under such modern security. Could it?

Author's Notes: I promissed this a while back. I apologise for the delay, but plead computer melt-down. I'm sure you understand. My second Gabriel Knight story, and my first of him partnered with Friedrich. This tale is intended to bring the traditional stories of faeries and changelings into a modern setting. And these ain't no Tinkerbelles (more closely resemlbing
the Dark Elves of role playing universes).

Rating: Eventually NC-17

 

Gabriel Knight and the Changeling
by Scribe

Larissa gently touched the petals of the rose which sat in solitary splendor in the slender cut glass vase on the table beside her hospital bed. *So soft, so delicate. Like my beautiful Daniel's skin.*

She smiled at the thought, settling back comfortably against her pillow. *They will bring him soon. He will be getting hungry.* She was happy now that she had decided to breast feed her baby. The closeness she had felt when his little lips closed around her nipple and began to draw milk had been incredible.

A moment later the nurse entered the room, a blue wrapped bundle in her arms. It was squalling lustily, and Larissa smiled fondly. But the smile faded slightly as the woman in white neared. The baby seemed to be kicking violently: she could see his arms and legs thrusting against the cloth. "Nurse," she said, beginning to feel anxious. "is there something wrong with my baby?"

The nurse, used to the worries of new mothers, soothed her automatically. "Oh, no, dear. He's just hungry. He has quite an appetite, this one. He's been squalling for the past twenty minutes. You'd think we were starving him."

"Really? But he was so quiet yesterday. Such a good, peaceful baby."

"Well, he'd just been born, then. Maybe he's had a look at the world and isn't too pleased with it," joked the nurse. She laid the squirming infant in Larissa's arms. "Do you need help?"

"No, I think I have the hang of it now." The nurse left to bring the next baby to its mother.

A fold of cloth was pulled over the baby's face, but the cries coming from behind it were not muffled. "Gracious, such language! That won't do, son. It won't do at all." Holding the baby cradled in her arm, she unlaced the front of her gown with her free
hand, baring one swollen breast. "I suppose she's right. A little milk should calm you down."

She pulled the flap back to uncover the baby's face, and froze. She stared at the still bawling infant, her eyes growing larger. "Daniel?"

Larissa studied the scrunched, damp face of the baby, the slitted eyes. She could feel his little limbs jerking under the blanket. Not really daring to take her eyes from it, she blindly reached out till she found the call button and pushed it repeatedly.

When the nurse came into the room she found the screaming baby laying on the chair next to the bed, the mother staring at it with an expression of near horror. Nurse Ellena frowned. "Mrs. Linstrom, what is it? You know you shouldn't lay him down like that. Newborns may not be able to move much, but that is a particularly active baby, and he could fall off." She moved to pick up the child.

The young woman, looking very pale, pointed a shaking finger at the infant. "Why did you bring me this?"

Puzzled, the nurse said, "But it's meal time. Daniel needs to be fed." The infant was squirming so viorously that she had to use extra caution picking him up.

Larissa nodded jerkily. "Yes. Yes, Daniel needs to be fed. Take that away and bring him to me."

Ellena eyed her carefully. The woman had seemed calm enough, even through the harshest stretch of labor. yesterday. She hadn't seemed to have any trouble bonding with her baby when it was brought to her the first time, but the nurse had worked in maternity long enough to know that sometimes problems arose unexpectedly.

"Mrs. Lindstrom, this IS your baby." The woman was shaking her head even before Ellena had finished the sentance. "Madam, I assure you. We are very careful about such things in this hospital. Your baby was banded and his footprints taken the moment that the birth matter was wiped away. No infant leaves the delivery room before the proper proceedures are
performed."

"That is not my child. I want my baby."

Ellena sighed. "Let me show you." She sat on the edge of the bed and laid the infant on the mattress. The way he was thrashing about, she wasn't sure she could hold him safely while uncovering the identification bracelet. She felt a pang of distress when the mother jerked her legs back, rather than let the baby touch them.

As she loosened the blaket, the baby waved his arms and legs so vigorously that it was almost thrown off. *Such skinny little limbs* she thought absently. *You'd think it wasn't full term. It almost looks starved.* She caught the waving right hand and held it, turning the laminated bracelet that dangled there so that she could read it. Then she showed it to the mother. "You see? Lindstrom, Daniel Matthias. Male, DOB 7/3/01, 2:30 PM, 3.98 kb..." Her voice trailed off. "That doesn't sound right, does it?"

She regarded the infant more closely. the arms and legs were stick thin. The baby wore only a disposable diapter, and she could see the faint shadows of his tiny ribs. Alarm began to rise as she rewrapped the infant. "Mrs. Lindstrom, I'm afraid there may be something wrong. I'm having a doctor look at your baby immediately."

As she carried the still protesting little boy out of the room she heard the mother's voice rising frantically. "But it's not my baby! Where is he? Where's my Daniel?" It spiralled up into a shreik that brought another nurse running. "WHAT HAVE YOU
DONE WITH MY BABY?"

*******

Doctor Erik Byler took the bawling baby from the anxious nurse. "Spread the blanket on the scales. No reason why the poor mite should be any more uncomfortable than he is already."

Ellenna spread the flannel over the cold metal tray. "His mother was having hysterics when I left. They'll have to sedate her, I think."

"Well, I can understand that. It must have been quite a shock, seeing him in this state." He lowered the infant gently onto the tray and looked at the digital read out. It flickered a little with the baby's motion. When it settled, his eyebrows shot up in
consternation. "Good God, nurse! Why haven't they been monitoring this infant? Why wasn't the diaherrea reported?"

"But doctor, there's been no diaherrea. I'm not even sure if he's moved his bowels yet. He's tinkled some, but nothing out of the ordinary."

"That isn't possible. His weight is only 2.75 kilograms! How could he have lost almost one and a quarter kilograms in less than a day if he wasn't gushing fluids? Has he been fed?"

"Yes, doctor. Yesterday in the early evening his mother fed him, and he was given a bottle in the nursery at two am. No one reported any problems."

The doctor hooked his stethescope in his ears and placed the cone on the baby's narrow chest. "I'm going to need a full battery of tests. This is a very sick baby. Send Dr. Nordstrum immediately, and tell him it's an emergency."

Byler began to examine the baby more closely as the nurse hurried out of the room. He frowned at what he found. He'd been assuming that some form of dehydration had to be at the root of this dire failure to thrive, but as he looked more closely, the
possibility became more remote. The symptoms just weren't there. Yes, the eyes were a bit sunken, but the fontanelles were normal. It was easy to examine the child's mucus membrane, as his little mouth gaped open in a continual angry squawl, and it was not dry or sticky. He gently pinched up a fold of skin, earning an even louder squawk, but the skin quickly fell back into its proper state. The elasticity was normal. There were no tears, but that wasn't abnormal with an infant this young.

Dr. Nordstrom, a neo-natal specialist, famous in his field, came into the room. "His lungs sound healthy enough. What do we have here, Erik?" Byler briefly recounted the case while Nordstrom examined the baby himself, taking the infant's temperature, pulse, and blood pressure. "This is odd, Erik. I haven't seen such a massive weight loss unless the infant had severe vomiting or diahrhea. All his vital signs are normal. It seems that there's just the weight loss..." He was stroking the infant's leg, trying to
soothe it, and the baby kicked his hand aside. "and the agitation. We may be dealing with an entirely new state. What would you say to having your name on a new disease?"

"I'd rather send a healthy baby back to his mother."

"Of course, of course. Is there anything about the mother or father that might have a bearing on this?"

"Not that I know of. The pregnancy was completely normal--almost boring. Both parents are perfectly healthy. I delivered this baby yesterday, and..." his voice trailed off. "The nurse said that the mother was protesting that this wasn't her baby. Do you know... it doesn't LOOK like the same infant."

Nordstrom made a dismissive gesture. "When you deliver as many as you do, Erik, they start to run together."

"I'm telling you that..."

"Oh, we'll check the prints, just to cover all bases. But when was the last time there was a switch? We're not as haphazard as those American hospitals." He went and got an ink pad and a sheet of paper from a drawer. "In the meantime, call the lab and order an electrolytes test, a sweat test, a BUN test, a urine specific gravity, and a creatine test."

Erik picked up the receiver and dialed the lab as Nordstrom flipped open the ink pad and tried to grabbed the baby's waving legs. "Ah! Hold still, you imp." He managed to capture one stick thin leg, and pressed the ink pad to the bottom of the tiny
foot. Then he pressed the paper to the sole.

He released the leg and reached for the ink pad again, glancing casually at the frest print. He hesitated, blinking, then looked at the paper more closely. Byler paused in his instruction to the lab, and Nordstrom shrugged. "I smeared it. Not surprising with the way he's jerking around. I'll just do it again."

Again he captured the waving limp and applied the ink pad. This time he was careful to hold the baby's leg very still, though it wasn't easy. A look of satisfaction on his face, he looked at the new print.

*******

Byler was a little alarmed when he saw the satisfied look fade, to be replaced by consternation. "What is is?"

"This isn't possible." Nordstrom quickly took a print of the baby's other foot, and stared at the paper. "Erik, I've never seen anything like this. This MUST be a new syndrome." He handed the paper to his colleague.

Dr. Byler took the sheet and looked at it. There were three tiny footprints, the black ink standing out sharply against the snowy paper. Each one was a curving shape surmounted by five dots. There was not a single fold or crease visible. The prints, which should have been as individual as fingerprints, were completely featureless and solid. There was something horrifyingly otherworldly in their impersonal, bland smoothness.

Part Two

Friederich von Glower studied the manuscript page in his hand, slowly shaking his head. *Gabriel, when will you learn to come to me for information about history? I've lived through so much more of it than you have. This... that particular type of carriage
fell out of favor more than fifty years before your story is set. Even if any had still been in existence, a royal family would never have used anything so unfashionable.*

He sighed and made a notation in the margin, smiling as he did. Gabriel might be too impatient to be as thorough in his research as he should, but he was very good at taking tactful correction. He set aside the corrected page.

Before he picked up the next one he took a sip of wine. This chateau had come complete with a small, but select, wine cellar. This was a particularly good merlot, and he intended to present it to Gabriel later, and he would see to it that his lover SIPPED
instead of 'glugging'. He loved Gabriel dearly, but the man DID have a peasant attitude toward wine. Friederich was determined to teach him the difference between a fine vintage and that screw-topped swill they sold in every convenience store.

Friederich went on to the next page. The story was good so far, aside from a few mistakes like the carriage and a typo or two. It was a little surreal, though, reading the story of his own life. *Not exactly my life,* he thought. *but close enough.* He
smiled. *He was so worried that I'd be offended when he made me out as a villian, and left out any hint of our true feelings for each other. Of course I understand.*

There was a stealthy sound from the room behind Friederich. Most people wouldn't have heard it over the crackling of the fire or the muted rush of the wind outside, but then Friederich wasn't most people. His senses were keen, even when he wasn't in his wolf form. A scent drifted to him--strong and feral, but beloved.

Friederich made no gesture that would indicate that he had heard. He waited. The noise came again, a bit more clearly this time. He heard a faint scrape that had to be nails against the thin strip of hardwood floor that showed between the rugs of the hall and the den. Now he could hear the breathing, but he could tell that his visitor was trying to muffle the sound. He shook his head, and extended his hand down beside his chair. The faint sounds stopped. "It's no use holding your breath, my angel. I know you're there. I smell you."

There was a woofing sigh and a rough, hairy head was pushed up under his palm. Friederich scratched behind the peaked ears. "Don't be sad, liebchen. You're getting much better, but it will be some time before you can slip up on me. Soon you will be as at home in this body as you are with the one you were born with."

There was a grumbling growl, and Friederich felt sharp fangs nibbling at his fingertips almost daintily. "Patience, my love. All things in due time. After all, now you can transform back, even when the full moon is at its height." There was a whine. "Yes, you can. I know it's difficult, but I have confidence in you. Come here."

The great red-brown wolf moved around the side of the chair to sit before Friederich, letting it's tongue loll out. "I want you to try to change for me now, Gabriel." The wolf whined. "Yes, I know it hurts, but the pain will lessen with practise. Go on."

The wolf moved forward, pushing his snout into the fork of Friederich's legs. "Gabriel." Gabriel rooted, licking at the baron's crotch. Friederich shivered, feeling the moist warmth of his saliva and breath. The wolf nipped gently at the fly. Friederich pushed him away, "You're not going to distract me, my heart." The wolf sat back, turning luminous green eyes up to him, his ears laid back pleadingly. "Please."

There was another sigh. The wolf backed up, then stretched out on the floor and closed his eyes. After a moment he began to tremble. A low moan escaped the beast's throat. Friederich ached to go to him and comfort him, but he forced himself to stay seated. This was something that Gabriel HAD to master--it might someday be vital to his survival.

The wolf stretched all four limbs out spastically, and Friederich winced at the muted crunch as the back legs suddenly bent the other way. The limbs began to lengthen and thicken. The nubby toes on the front paws stretched, the claws thinning, shrinking,
flattening--going from black to translucent. The handsome muzzle began to receed as the planes of the face shifted. There was a continual muted crackling and popping as bones and sinews realigned themselves. When the figure was more human than lupine, the fur began to thin. Finally there was only a light dusting on legs, arms, and chest, and a magnificent red-gold crop on his head.

The naked man, lying where the wolf had been, drew himself up into a ball, still shuddering. When he spoke, his voice was thick with discomfort, but the soft southern drawl was still clear. "Damn, Friedrich, that hurts like a bitch."

"I know, Gabriel, but you succeeded. Come here." Gabriel unfolded himself and stood, moving stiffly. Friedrich took his hand and pulled him down. Gabe sat on Friederich's lap, leaning against him. He'd been a little self-conscious about this sort of cuddling before, but he'd found that he enjoyed it.

Before he had met von Glower he never would have considered sitting on another man's lap, let alone doing it while naked. But then, Gabriel hadn't been a werewolf then, and their relationship now was unique. Friederich was Gabriel's alpha, his lover, his packmate, and his sire. Gabriel was Friederich's beta, his son-by-the-fang, and his mate. There were many layers to their feelings for each other. It was something that the outside world had little chance of understanding.

Gabriel rested his head against Friederich's, nuzzling his dark hair. "Ya know, Ah always thought that once th' full moon hit, boom, that was it--you stayed furry till th' sun rose."

Friederich patted his thigh. "More nonsense promoted by those old Universal movies." He chuckled. "Their Wolfman was certainly fanciful."

Gabriel laughed. "Yeah, Lon Chaney, Jr. runnin' around on tippy-paws in his pee-jays."

"I rather liked the conceit of the pentagram appearing in the palm of the next victim. Very romantic." Friederich was massaging Gabriel's thigh now.

"Speakin' of romance," Gabriel murmured. Friederich's hand moved between his legs, transferring his gentle caresses to Gabriel's cock, and his lover sighed happily.

Friederich stroked Gabriel slowly, feeling him firm and thicken beneath his hand. Gabriel was such a sensual creature, it was a joy to give him pleasure. He licked Gabriel just behind his ear, causing him to squirm, then nipped his earlobe. "Would you like me to fuck you, pet?"

"Damn, Friederich, how many times have Ah said no? But Ah didn't bring any lube." He chuckled. "Didn't have any pockets to carry it in."

Friederich pushed Gabriel off his lap, slapping him on the rump. "No need to go all the way upstairs. Look in the kitchen--there's a bottle of olive oil in the pantry."

"Love, Italian style."

Gabriel padded into the kitchen. While he was gone von Glower opened his pants and exposed himself. He waited a moment, running his fingertips up and down his shaft. Finally he called, "Gabriel, did you slip on the tile and knock yourself out? I've never known you to be slow when it comes to sex."

Gabriel came back in, carrying a small bottle of golden oil. He handed it to Friederich, and the baron said, "Your smile is particularly sly, schattzie. What have you been up to?" In response Gabe turned, bent over, reached back, and spread his own buttocks. Friederich laughed. "You wanton! You prepared yourself already."

"Hope ya don't mind, but Ah'm in kind of a hurry." He turned around. "And you're not ready yet." Gabriel went to his knees, moving up between Friederich's thighs.

Friederich watched as the red-gold head bent over him, and closed his eyes as he felt the first flick of Gabriel's tongue against his heated flesh. Gabriel licked slowly and voluptuously from base to tip, then took the cockhead in his mouth and sucked softly. He bobbed up and down smoothly, taking a little more of the staff in each time. For someone who had considered himself strictly heterosexual up until a half a year ago, Gabriel had become an excellent cocksucker.

When he was full erect, Friederich tugged at Gabriel's hair, pulling him off. "If you keep that up you won't get your own satisfaction, pet." He opened the bottle and dribbled oil on his staff. While he was capping it again Gabriel began to massage the oil over Friederich's hard-on. Friederich set aside the bottle and good-naturedly pushed Gabriel's hands away. "How
do you want it, liebchen?"

"Anyway Ah can get it, darlin'." He knelt on the floor, bracing his upper body on a footstool. "But this'll do me fine."

Friederich knelt between Gabriel's spread legs. He spend a moment kneading the younger man's firm, pale buttocks, then spread the cheeks. He touched his fingertip to the pucker of Gabriel's asshole, then pushed inside. "Friedrich, I toldya I was ready."

Friederich worked his finger in the snug depths, gauging whether or not he was relaxed enough. "I'm doing this for my own pleasure, child. I love the way you feel." He pressed deeper, feeling around, and found Gabriel's prostate.

The younger man shivered, groaning. "Oh, man. An' I love th' way YOU feel, believe me, but I'd really like to have your dick inside me, Friederich. Please." Gabriel was always highly sexed, but when the moon was full his animal appetites were much more powerful. He wanted more of EVERYTHING.

"Yes." Friederich removed his finger and fitted his glans against the slightly spread hole, then began to push. Gabriel was ready, but he was still as tight as the first time Friederich had taken him, and Friederich bit his lip in pleasure.

Gabriel whimpered in pleasure as he was filled, Friederich's thick, solid dick sliding deep. "Ohhh, man. Friederich, you are SO good."

When von Glower was well seated he lay down against the broad, warm plain of Gabriel's back, embracing him. It felt so right to be cradled in his lover's body this way. He stroked Gabe's chest, squeezing and rolling the hard buds of his nipples as Gabe made small sounds in the back of his throat. Then he let his hands slide down Gabriel's torso, over his flat, heaving abdomen, to fasten around Gabe's rigid cock. His hands were still slick with olive oil, and he began to masturbate his lover slowly.

Gabriel enjoyed the ministrations for awhile, then said hoarsely, "Aren't you gonna move?"

"I like it here, liebling."

Gabriel growled. "Listen, bo, Ah'm th' one who's s'posed to be th' tease." He bore down with his internal muscles, and Friederich shivered as he felt the sucking ripple along the length of his imbedded cock, but he didn't thrust. "Damn it, Friederich, you're gonna make me work for it t'night, aren't you?" His only response was a chuckle. "Fine," he grumbled. "I can wait as long as you can."

"No need, love." Friederich began to move inside him with short, gentle strokes, subtly shifting his hips. Gabriel hummed with satisfaction and began to shift back to meet him. They moved together in a slow, fluid rhythm. They had become familiar with each other, but in this case familiarity did not breed contempt, but deepend their desire and love.

Gabriel dipped his back, lifting his rump so that Friederich could penetrate more deeply, and tipped his head back to look at him over his shoulder.

Friederich caught that hot, silent stare. His movements became more forceful, each thrust pushing Gabriel farther across the footstool before he bucked backward.

Gabriel came with a muted cry, spilling his seed over Friederich's hands. His anal passage tightened reflexively, and Friederich threw himself against his lover hard as his flesh squeezed him rhthmically. A few more lunging thrusts and he came, also. Gabriel cried out again as he felt the burst of liquid heat in his bowels, burning and soothing at the same time.

For a long moment the two men stayed in that position, still joined. Then Friederich pulled back, his softening cock slipping from Gabriel's asshole. But he stayed kneeling there for a moment, massaging his lover's heaving back, whispering to him in German, telling him how wonderful he was, how he was treasured. Gabriel did not understand the words, but he knew the tone of voice, and he basked in the affection.

Finally they got up, Friederich giving Gabriel his hand in case his legs cramped. They kissed. Friederich pulled back, one eyebrow arching. "Gabriel, are you picking my pocket."

Gabriel smiled and held up a handkerchief. "For a good cause, bo." He used the cloth to wipe Friederich clean. "Ah'm gonna go take a shower. I'll rinse this out while I'm in the bathroom."

"Am I domesticating you, liebchen?"

Gabriel snorted. "May Ah just quote Buddy Holly by sayin' 'that'll be th' day'. Since th' cleanin' lady only comes in twice a week, Ah figured Ah'd better do a thing or two so she don't think we're porcine instead of lupine." He glanced at the stack of papers lying on the table. "How'm Ah doin'?"

"Very well, Gabriel. I'm sure your editor will be pleased with this offering. There are just a few minor historical details, easily fixed. But..." he hesitated.

"Go on. Ah wouldn't have asked you to read it if Ah didn't want your opinion."

"Grace." Gabriel's normally sunny expression darkened. "I know, I know. But she was a good friend to you before we met, Gabriel, and you've made her a total bitch from page one. You know that isn't true."

"She tried to kill you, Friederich. Hell, she DID kill you." His face was twisted with pain at the memory of his lover, bloodstained and still. "If Ellison an' Sandburg hadn't been so quick with the CPR, if that dagger had gone in an inch to the
left..."

Friederich took Gabriel's hand and kissed it. "But they were, and it didn't. Gabriel, I know it's hard for you, but you need to let go of your hatred. The woman was ill. It's very sad, really."

"Ah don't know how you can forgive her."

Von Glower's voice was soft. "I know what it's like to be alone, and to yearn for someone. Besides..." his voice became brisk. "it isn't good for the story. She needs to be sympathetic at the beginning. You can allow her obsession to grow gradually. That way it will not be quite so obvious from the beginning how dangerous she is."

Gabriel nodded grudgingly. "You're right. Ah'll work on that in th' second draft, but it won't be easy. It's gonna take a long time for my hate to simmer down to simple dislike, an' the woman ain't EVER gonna be on my Christmas card list."

"That reminds me--I saw that you received a letter from Gerde. How is she?"

Gerde was the caretaker of Schloss Von Ritter, Gabriel's hereditery estate. She was also his research assistant, and had performed the same duties for Gabriel's late uncle, the previous Schattenjaeger. Of course then the research had been directed
strictly toward his work in fighting the forces of darkness. Now she mostly helped Gabriel keep his writing free of anachronisms and mistakes.

"She's all right, but she's hintin' that I ought to come back to Rittersburg." He grimaced. "She SAYS folks are takin' the change in situation well, but Ah don't think they'll really be comfortable till I can show them some kinda proof that my change isn't gonna stop me from continuing as the Schattenjaeger." He paused, looking at Friederich.

"And until I can prove that I will be a benefit and not a menace. I understand. It's not unreasonable, love. I DO have a rather dubious history."

"Well, something's bound to come up, sooner or later, that'll prove us. Till then this is a nice place you found. How much longer did you take it for?"

"Another month, then we'll go back to my place in Germany, if you like. Or one of the other members of the hunt club has a nice villa in Italy, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind loaning it for awhile."

"We'll see." Gabriel's forehead crinkled. "Ya know, Friederich... Ah been feelin' kinda funny lately--antsy."

"It isn't just from the monthly change?"

Gabriel shook his head. "Ah don't think so. Ah've gotten pretty used to what that feels like, an' this is different. I think maybe..." He stopped.

Friederich nodded. "You think something is going to happen--something having to do with your Schattenjaeger duties. Don't doubt your own abilities, Gabriel. Your very being is attuned to the supernatural. Now that you've changed, you will be even closer to things that are..." he thought, "not quite of this realm. Don't worry," he touched Gabriel's cheek and smiled. "You will be ready for it." He hugged him, and felt Gabriel return the embrace. "WE will be ready."

 

Part 3

Friederich awoke to warmth and the peaceful rhythm of Gabriel's breath fanning across his throat. *He sleeps like the dead,* Friederich thought affectionately. Gabriel was on his side, snuggled close against Friederich, an arm and a leg thrown across his lover's body.

Von Glower lifted his hand and gently stroked Gabriel's hair. He didn't want to wake the younger man, but he couldn't resist. He loved Gabriel's hair. It was a rich mixture of red and brown, but it shone with gold glints under bright lights, and it fell to his shoulders in silky waves. It was Gabriel's pride, and Friederich's joy. He'd spent a lot of time with his hands buried in that soft mass, guiding Gabriel as he pleasured him. He'd also spend long minutes just carding his fingers through it as they sat together in the evening, talking quietly or simply gazing into the fire, enjoying each other's company in silence. That was one way he knew that they had both made the right choice--they could be still together.

Thin sunlight seeped through the bedroom curtains. Friederich sometimes lay abed late these days--Gabriel was an expert at coaxing him to linger, but he was not a naturally slothful man. He carefully lifted Gabriel's arm and slid out of the sleeping man's loose embrace. Gabriel mumbled a sleepy protest, his hand grasping vaguely, but he didn't really awaken. Friederich pulled the sheet up over Gabriel's bare shoulders and put on the robe he'd left thrown across the foot of the bed.

The baron went downstairs and started the coffee. He had begun using the dark, chicory laced roast that Gabriel (a New Orleans native) favored, and luckily found that he had a taste for it. He enjoyed indulging Gabriel in small things, watching his whole hearted enjoyment of all things sensual.

Confident that the aroma of fresh brewed coffee would lure his lover downstairs, Friederich started an omelette. Eventhough he had lived his entire life in Europe, he was seldom satisfied with a 'continental breakfast', preferring something more substantial. Gabriel could seldom stomach more than coffee and perhaps a beignet before noon.

Upstairs Gabriel's nostrils twitched. Even before lycanthropy had sharpened his senses such a delicious aroma would have lured him up from the depths of sleep. He surfaced slowly, yawning. *Somethin's missin'." His hand quested across the bed. The sheets were cool, without any redidual body heat. No Friederich.

He groaned, peeling his eyes open. *I guess I'm gonna have to work harder at wearin' that man out if I don't want him gettin' up at the crack of dawn.* He sniffed. *Well, bless 'im, he DOES know what I need.*

Gabriel got up and dug a pair of sweats out of the dresser, putting them on without bothering with underwear. He stopped in the bathroom long enough to brush his teeth and his hair (the hair taking considerably longer), then padded barefoot down to the kitchen.

Friederich was just sliding an omelette onto a plate, but he looked up with a smile. "Good morning, my heart. Did you sleep well? I think you were a little restless last night."

Gabriel poured himself a cup of coffee. "Yeah, I had dreams." He frowned. "But I can't remember what they were. They were pretty vague. Mostly just... feelins."

Friederich sat at the table and cut a forkful of eggs. "Dark feelings?"

"Yeah." Gabriel sat beside him and took his first sip of coffee, closing his eyes in bliss. "What other kind would make me restless?" He felt Friederich's hand on his leg, and smiled. "Yeah, those would, too, but not this time." He shrugged, drinking again. "Probably that sauerbratten I had before bed last night. I ought to know by now not to eat that close to bedtime."

Friederich gave the firm thigh another squeeze, then went back to eating. "Considering your nature it could very well be a premonition."

Gabriel finished the cup and went for more. "Eh, I doubt it. I'm not likely to be eligible to work on any psychic friends hotline."

Friederich shook his head. "Don't dismiss it so quickly, liebchen. You have a sensitivity to the supernatural--it's bred into your very blood."

"Yeah? It wasn't too swift when it came to you, was it? Took me long enough to figure out you weren't your typical European noble."

"Some things are not evident from birth--they have to mature. I did not make my first change until adolesence. Your mystical side has always been there. You neglected and ignored it before your uncle died, but it still showed. Your career choice for instance. You could have written anything--mysteries, humor, westerns, pulp sensations, but what did you choose? Horror and the supernatural. You've always been closer to the darkness than most, Gabriel."

"Maybe. There's certain mama's an' daddies in N'awlins might agree with you on that. I had more than one of 'em call me the devil."

Friederich shook his head, smiling as he took his empty plate to the sink and began to wash it. "Joke all you want, Gabe. You know very well what I mean. You have talents..." Gabriel had moved up behind him. Now he put his arms around Friederich's waise and pressed against his ass. "OTHER than the physical ones. This little interlude we are having is good, but you're going to have to go back to your duties of Schattenjaeger, and you might as well reconsile yourself to that."

Gabriel sighed, resting his forehead against the other man's back. "I know, I know. Hell, if I'd wanted responsibilities I'da gotten married a long time ago."

Friederich laid his hands over Gabriel's, where they rested on his stomach. He said quietly, "Sometimes Fate does not give us a choice, liebling. We take what we are given, and make it work." He felt a tugging at his sash and looked down to see Gabriel's nimble fingers undoing the knot. "Gabriel..."

Knight had gotten the robe open and slipped his hands inside, smoothing his palms over Friederich's flat belly. His hands slipped lower to brush at the crisp pubic curls. "Oo, you dirty man. Not even a pair of underwear. Well, you know what the courts say about things like that, don'tcha? You're askin' for it."

Friederich sighed, feeling himself beginning to stir. "This is not Fatal Attraction, Gabriel. I have no desire to make love in the sink."

Gabe nibbled at the nape of his neck. "Then come back to bed with me."

"You should start on your rewrite."

"I need inspiration." The phone rang. "Damn. Ignore that."

Friederich pulled his hands loose, raising one to his lips. "We can't do that." He slipped from between Gabriel and the sink, knotting his robe closed as he went. "You know that Nichols and Ubergrau have instructions not to contact us unless it's important." He lifted the receiver and spoke into the receiver. "Ja, von Glower here." His eyebrows rose, and he looked at Gabriel. "Yes. Yes, I am well. He's up." He offered the receiver to Gabriel. "Gabriel, it's Gerde." Gabriel hesitated, staring at him. He hadn't spoken to his assistant since he'd gone to America months before. Friederich said gently, "Gabriel."

He took the phone. "Hi, Gerde."

The woman's voice was tentative, but Gabriel sensed no fear or hostility. "Gabriel, I am so happy to hear your voice. I... I hope I am not troubling you, but..."

"No, Gerde, it's all right. I'm glad you called. I'm sorry I haven't called before." He rubbed his neck. "Letters are a pretty cold way of dealin' with someone you consider a friend." He paused. "We're still friends, aren't we?"

There was a moment of silence, and finally Gerde said softly, "I hope so, Gabriel. I hope you'll come back to Schloss von Ritter... someday. But I wish this call was only for friendship's sake."

Gabriel felt a prickle run quickly across his scalp. *Somethin's comin'. Shit, an' there's no chance of gettin' out of the way.* "Tell me about it."

"I can't, really. Last night I received a call from an old woman in Karlstad. That is near you, yes?"

"Mm, about two hour's ride, if you ain't in a hurry. What did the old doll want?"

"It was a little hard to tell. She said she could only speak for a minute. I think she was trying to keep someone from finding out that she was calling."

Gabriel straightened. "Is she in danger herself?"

"No, I don't think so. It's more that someone would disapprove of her calling a Schattenjaeger."

"What's her problem?" Gerde made a questioning sound, and Gabriel rolled his eyes. He said patiently, "What do ya THINK her problem is, an' does she need a Schattenjaeger, the cops, or a psychiatrist?"

"Well, she was very upset, but she seemed lucid, except..."

"Gerde..."

"She said that her great-grandchild had been kidnapped from the hospital. The little boy was only a day old."

Gabriel winced. "Damn, that's horrible! But she needs to be talkin' to the local cops, or maybe whatever Sweden has that passes for the FBI."

"She said that she thinks her great-grandson has already started the official investigation, but she has no confidence in the authorities."

"Can't say I'm exactly enamoured of the official channels myself, but this sounds out of my line."

"No, if it's what she fears it is very MUCH in your line. She believes that the child was stolen by the faeries."

Gabriel was silent for a moment. Finally he said heavily, "Gerde, you're tellin' me that this old darlin' thinks that Tinkerbelle took her grandbaby?" Friederich looked up sharply. Gabriel grimaced at him, but his lover put down the paper that he had picked up and listened more closely to Gabriel's conversation.

"And left a faerie child in its place. Yes, I know how it sounds, but, Gabriel, she isn't so very far away from you." Her tone was coaxing. "If you could just see her and talk to her. If a Schattenjaeger assures her that there was nothing supernatural in the child's kidnapping, it would make things easier for her, I'm sure."

"I dunno, Gerde." Gabriel wasn't too reluctant to perform his Schattenjaeger duties, but he damn sure didn't want to go traipsing all over just because someone who was probably senile had seen fairies at the bottom of the garden.

"Please think about it, Gabriel. There was such pain in her voice. Whatever actually happens, she truly believes that the baby was replaced by a changeling."

He sighed. "Gimme a little time to think about it. I'll call you back this envening or tomorrow."

"All right. If she calls back, what should I tell her?"

"Girl, don't try to guilt me into this." Gabriel was suddenly irritated with himself. This was an old woman, and she had to be heartbroken and afraid. "Tell her I'm evaluatin' the situation." *I'm gonna cave, I just know it.*

Gerde knew it, too, because her voice was vibrant. "Thank you, Gabriel. Perhaps when you finish... I mean, if you decide to take the case..."

"Right, right, Gerde."

"You might come back to the schloss for a little while? I... I'd like to meet Friederich."

*Oh, girl. I don't know if you mean it or you're just tryin' to get on my good side, but whichever it is, it's workin'.* "We'll see. You take care now."

He hung up and went to sit beside Friederich again, slumping. "They want me to investigate a possible case of fairy kidnappin'. Maybe I can call EuroDisney an' ask for help."

"Don't take this so lightly."

Gabriel groaned. "Friederich, don't tell me you clapped for Tinkerbelle?"

"Do I believe in faeries? Not the kind you're thinking of, schatzie. I suppose you mean f-a-i-r-y, not f-a-e-r-i-e?"

Gabriel blinked. "I never knew there were different spellings. Is there a difference?"

"Oh, yes. The modern concept of the airy-fairies only dates from a century or so ago. It was popularized in the Victorian era--they tended toward sentimentality. I believe the image of the tiny, delicate, playful, winged creatures became ingrained in American and European minds in the early twenties, when a couple of English schoolgirls took photos of them."

"Friederich, I do NOT believe they took pictures of real fairies."

"Of course they didn't, Gabriel. No, the fairies were paper cutouts, but they fooled thousands of people, and not just starry-eyed children. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a great believer. But what I'm trying to tell you is that the sweet image of a fairy is a recent thing, but the darker version, the faerie, have been known almost since oral traditions began.

"Dark?"

"Not necessarily physically, Gabriel, but in a spiritual sense. They are among the soulless ones, and as such they have little regard for humans, save as they provide either amusement or irritation."

"Friederich, you're talkin' like you really believe in them."

"I suppose that would be foolish." Friederich gave Gabriel a small smile. "As foolish as believing in, oh, werewolves?"

Gabriel laughed. "Okay, I get the message. Me sayin' faeries are unbelievable is the pot callin' the kettle black. You think I should take this case." It was a statement instead of a question.

"I think you should at least look into it. It is still early... We can arrive in Karlstad in time for lunch, then speak to this woman. If it is nothing, we can be back before dark."

"We'd better. I don't wanna change over in a strange city, when I haven't had time to set up a secure place."

"That won't be a problem, Gabriel. Last night was the final night of this period."

Gabe frowned. "You sure, Friederich? Ol' Miss Moon looked pretty round to me last night."

"Yes, I am sure. You would be, too, if you would just take time and listen to your body. Take a moment to really consider how you feel--sense the beast." Gabriel's eyes unfocused slightly as he concentrated. "Can't you feel it? The beast should seem less restless."

"You're right. It isn't all that much, but I'm pretty sure I can resist changin' over. Well, as long as I
pay attention to what I'm doin'."

"Precisely. It will become easier in time."

"Well, that's the main argument down, I s'pose." He picked up the receiver and started dialing. "Guess I might as well call Gerde and get the particulars." He smiled wryly, and picked up a pencil, tapping it on the pad that they kept near the phone. "For some reason I suspect that she'll have all the information I need ready to go, up to and includin' street directions, an' a recommendation for a good hotel. Hello, Gerde? Yeah. I decided to at least go down an' hear the old girl out, so if you can tell me..." He shot Friederich a look. "Well, now that's just real convenient. Yes, you can send it to the same fax number that the lawyers use. A map? What would I do without you, Gerde? Okay. Take care."

Friederich was stifling laughter as his lover hung up, and Gabriel gave him a mock glare. "First Gracie, now Gerde, and then you--somebody always pushin' me to do the right thing. At least you have an excuse--you've got that whole alpha thing goin' on."

"And as to that, your alpha says that it is time to get dressed. Come along. While we're at the agent's, I want to warn the cleaners that we may be gone for a few days." Friederich hadn't wanted to bother with buying or renting a fax, so they had made arrangements with the real estate office that found them this rental. There had only been a few times during their stay it had been necessary to use it, but it had proved to be an efficient arrangement. "If we decide to stay over, I can call back and confirm it, and they can empty the refrigerator."

"Sometimes you're so fuckin' domestic."

Gabriel yelped as Friederich gave him a sharp swat on the ass. "Schnell, mein seele."

"Rush, rush, rush." Gabriel started up the stairs, and Friederich took the opportunity to admire the flex of his haunches as he climbed.

"The sooner we get there, the sooner you can either help that poor woman, or give her some small piece of mind."

"I know that, bo, but I'm from the Big Easy--I'll be disowned if I don't at least make a show of bein' lazy."

"Would it quicken your steps if I said that, should you hurry, I believe there will be time to further muss the sheets?" He laughed aloud as Gabriel suddenly began to take the stairs two at a time, then bounded after his lover.

 

Part Four

Gabriel was slumped in the passenger seat of the car. At the next traffic light Friederich reached over andpoked his young lover, not too gently. Gabriel started up with a snort. "Damn, Friederich! You're just set on givin' me a heartattack, aren't you?"

"We're nearly there, Gabriel. It would be best if you were at least semi-conscious when we arrive."

Gabriel raked his hair out of his eyes, grumbling, "Ah don't see why we can't find a room so Ah can have a nap first."

"Becuase, liebling, if you lie down after gorging yourself like you just did you will fall into a sleep so deep it will approach coma. You really didn't need that second slice of cake."

Gabriel shrugged, grinning ruefully. "No point in bein' in Switzerland if you don't take advantage of the chocolate." Gabriel plucked a wet wipe out of the box sitting on the dash and wiped his face. "Damn, they knew what they were doin' when they put lemon in these things. Perks you right up."

Friederich leaned over, brushing the tip of his nose against Gabriel's cheek. "And they make you smell absolutely delicious."

Gabriel slid his hand over and stroked Friederich's thigh. "You SURE you don't want to go get a room?"

Friederich laughed and put the car in gear as the light changed. "You're quite incorrigible, liebchen. That's one of the reasons I love you. But we have time, Gabriel. You'll realize that eventually."

They were only a few blocks from their destination, and traffic was light, so they reached it quickly. It was a pleasant looking block of apartments, with visitor parking clearly marked. As they got out, Friederich studied the sign that was planted in the midst of a flourishing bed of multicolored flowers. "Gabriel, this is an assisted living community."

"Doesn't look like any nursin' home Ah've ever seen. They usually look like small hospitals that they decorated out of the motel furnishings catalogue."

"No, this isn't exactly a nursing home. The people here would be more or less competent to care for themselves, and only need a little help--someone to check in on them regularly, in case of accident, or perhaps help with heavy chores. They probably provide some meals, light housekeeping, and perhaps a form of transportation."

"Well, I guess Miz..." He consulted the slip of paper that held the address and directions, "Johensen isn't quite ready t' be put away yet. Though I gotta admit, I think that her tales about kidnappin' fairies might make her kin think twice about lettin' her live alone."

Mrs. Andrea Torvald-Johensen lived in apartment 24A, the first floor. A fresh faced young woman at a desk in the front lobby had them sign a visitor's registration and directed them toward the back of the building, promising to call Mrs. Johensen and tell her that they were coming. "We don't want our residents to be startled if we can help it."

The building was very quiet and seemed almost deserted, except for an occasional uniformed man or woman pushing a cart of cleaning supplies or linens. "Where are all th' old folks?" Gabriel said quietly. There was something about the place that inspired hushed tones.

"It's just after lunch, Gabriel. I do not want to sterotype the elderly, but often they are like children, and take a nap in the afternoon," Friederich replied.

Many of the doors they passed were decorated. There were heart shaped wreaths of twigs, bouquets of silk flowers, pictures of what had to be grandchildren, and at least one miniature teddybear. 24A had none of this frippery, though. There was a gleaming, dignified brass nameplate that said 'TORVALD-JOHENSEN' above the equally shiny doorknocker.

Gabriel rapped twice. He had expected to wait, but the door was opening as he was withdrawning his hand. He found himself looking down at a female gnome. Well, that was the impression he got. *Probably since Ah have fairies on th' brain,* he thought, regarding the woman.

She was tiny but it wasn't because she had the stoop that many elderly women get. No, she was regally upright, but the top of her head only came up to the middle of Gabriel's chest. He couldn't tell what type of hair she had, because she had a black scarf tied over it. Still, it didn't look like the old fashioned babushkas so many European matrons wore. No, this was silk. Knotted just below her right ear, if fell past where her bosom must've been when she was younger. There was no way of telling how she had been when she was younger, but in her old age, Mrs. Andrea Torvald-Johensen had reverted to the 'skinny twelve year old boy' figure that so many pre-adolescent girls had.

The hand that held the door had enlarged knuckles and was decorated with several rings, a multitude of liver spots, and ropey, blue-green veins. In contrast, her complexion was smooth and even, untouched by make-up. There were lines, yes. Fans crinkled at the corners of her eyes, and there were deep grooves on either side of her mouth, but Gabe had seen a lot of hard living women in their forties who looked worse. She wore thick, wire rimmed glasses, but the blue eyes
behind them were sharp and intelligent.

She lifted a still dark eyebrow and said, "Schattenjaeger?"

Gabriel felt like he should take off his hat, eventhough he wasn't wearing one. "Yes, ma'am--Gabriel Knight." Her eyes went to Friederich. "An' my partner, Baron Friederich von Glower." Friederich gave her a tiny bow, and she nodded, as if this was her due.

"Come inside, gentlemen." The apartment was small, but the light, airy interior decoration made it seem larger. She had only a few well chosen pieces of furniture, and had avoided the cramped feeling that such places often have.

"If one of you will assist me, I have tea ready." Von Glower waved Gabriel to a seat on a plump sofa, and followed the lady into the kitchenette. They returned in a moment, Friederich bearing a well laden tray that probably weight almost as much as their hostess. She perched on a padded straightbacked chair across a coffee table from Gabriel while Friederich deposited the tray, then sat beside his lover.

"Will you take milk, or lemon?" Gabriel asked for milk, Friederich opted to take his tea straight. Gabe watched as, with admirable steadiness, Mrs. Johensen filled the cups and handed them over. Her grip was so firm that the cups didn't chatter against the saucers at all. She watched as Gabriel deposited several lumps of sugar in his cup before stirring. "You have a sweet tooth, Mr. Knight."

"Must be from all those pralines Ah grew up on, ma'am. You wanted to talk to me about your great-grandchild?"

"No. Please have a cookie. The bakery uses real butter."

Friederich and Gabriel exchanged glances. Friederich said gently, "We had been told that you were concerned about your great-grandson."

She waved. "No, Lukas is fine, if upset. It's HIS son I'm worried about--my great-GREAT grandson."

"Oh." Gabriel scratched his head. 'I guess Gerde didn't hear quite right."

"It wasn't her fault," their hostess assured him. "I made the call from my son's home, and I may not have been as clear as I wished. He was in the next room, and he'd forbidden me to call you." She snorted scornfully. "Forbidden me! I wiped filth from that boy's bottom till he learned to use the pot like a civilized human being. I nursed him till my bosum was as flat as a pancake, and he FORBIDS me to try to save his own great grandchild. I love him, but I think he's getting senile, and he's only sixty. Ah, well." She shook her head. "I spoiled him terribly, but he was a late born baby. I was past forty when I had him."

Gabriel and Friederich exchanged looks. That meant that Mrs. Johensen had to be at least one hundred years old. Friederich looked at her with interest. This woman was the closest to his own great age of anyone he'd ever run into.

Andrea was continueing. "Daniel is my son's, daughter's, son's son." She smiled, showing teeth so
perfect that they had to be manufactured. Gabriel, who had begun to be a bit intimidated, was reassured by this down-to-earth intimation of mortality. "It's a bit complicated, I know, but the child is my blood, and I can't just sit back while they dither about, especially since none of them are willing to face the truth."

"What is the truth?" asked Friederich.

She sighed, as if a child had asked her the same question for the hundredth time. "That the baby has been kidnapped by the faerie, and a changeling left in his place." She took a sip of tea. "I believe that now it the time that you gently suggest that I am deluded."

Gabriel didn't quite choke on his tea. "No, ma'am, I wasn't goin' t' do that."

"Good. I am a patient woman, but I grow tired of defending my competence."

"Mrs. Johensen," Friederich said, "Gabriel and I are much less likely to scoff than the general public. There are things in our own backgrounds that predispose us to consider possibilities that would appear outlandish to others."

"Can you tell us WHY you've come to this conclusion, ma'am?" Gabriel asked.

"Several reasons, young man. I didn't just grab at the possibility. The child was born at midnight, such people are closer to the faerie realm. The child was also born in the dark of the moon, a time when the faerie folk roam free. Since the boy was born in a modern hospital, none of the ancient precautions were taken--no salt or millet on the doorsteps, no rowan wands on the window sills, nothing to keep out the faerie. Then there is the child itself. There was a marked change in appearance in only a few hours. It is thin and peevish, unnaturally pale. It eats and eats, but does not thrive. And most importantly, it is smooth."

"Well, most babies ARE."

"Not just the skin, Mr. Knight though indeed, that is rough. No his feet and hands--there are no wrinkles or creases to mark him as a singular soul. His footprints are blank, and if they took his fingerprints, they would find them the same."

"Could there be some disorder that could cause this?" Friederich asked.

"That is what the doctors think. But Herr von Glower, they printed the baby in the delivery room, as they always do these days. He had perfectly normal footprints then, they are on file. Then less than a day later--nothing. No, this is not the same baby."

"How are th' authorities reactin' to this, ma'am?"

"With confusion, Herr Knight. There seemed to have been no lapse in security. A baby was left in the nursery, a baby was in the nursery when they came for it. No one saw a stranger in or about the nursery. The child they brought to my great-grandson's wife wore the identification bracelet that was placed on her child in the delivery room, but the baby was so thin that it COULD have been slipped off one child and on another. They seem to believe that a substitution MIGHT have been made. They are, however, at a loss as to why it might have been done, who might have taken Daniel, and who this baby might be. What is that old saying--a mystery, wrapped in an enigma? The only theory they have ruled out is mine." She made a disgusted gesture. "I thought the one detective was going to pat me on the head and suggest I take some warm milk and go to bed. They will not take the possibility seriously, so I had no choice but to call you." She smiled, showing the dentures again. "My family has not had cause to call upon a Schattenjaeger for many generations, but I have known of your family from my childhood. I hardly hoped that your family had continued in its dedication, but I knew that a Schattenjaeger was our only hope."

Gabriel put down his cup and saucer. "Ma'am, I have to warn you--I'm sorta new to this business. I've had some success, but it's been flyin' by the seat of my pants. I'd be happy to look into this for you, but I can't guarantee you anythin'."

She nodded. "I understand, Herr Knight."

Gabriel sighed. "Ma'am, what do you expect me to do?"

She reached out and laid a hand on his. Gabriel was struck by the fragility of that touch. He could feel a faint tremor. When he looked into Andrea Johensen's face, for the first time she looked truly old, and there was sorrow and fear in her eyes. "I expect you to do what you can, Herr Knight. Little Daniel may be lost to us forever, but one cannot just allow the darkness to take one of their own blood. You understand?"

Gabriel and Friederich exchanged looks. Yes, they understood. Friederich had gone from Germany to America in search of Blair Sandburg. Blair was his child of the fang, created a werewolf by Von Zell, who he had, himself, given the curse of lycanthropy. Blair had been released from the clutches of the beast when von Glower was killed by Grace Nakimura, Gabriel's former friend. Jim Ellison and Blair had used CPR to restart von Glower's heart, but it was really Gabriel who had saved him. Gabriel's pleading, his need, his sheer will, had called Friederich back from the darkness. Yes, they knew about fighting for one you loved.

"I'll do my damndest, ma'am," Gabriel said quietly.

"Thank you, young man," her voice was dignified, but there was sincere gratitude.

Gabriel and Friederich stood up. "Mrs. Johensen," Friederich said, "If you could give us something to indicate that we have your permission to investigate, it would make things easier."

"Certainly." She indicated a small desk. "If you would, there is a tablet and pen there." Friederich fetched the requested items, and the woman wrote two notes. "I will also call them personally." She folded the notes, slipping them into envelopes. "Do you have an investigator's license, Herr Knight? It is not that I require it, but it might make things easier for you. The police seem to think that no one but themselves can solve a mystery."

"I have a German license." He shrugged. "Wouldn't have that if SOMEONE hadn't insisted." Friederich smiled. She handed over the envelopes, and Gabriel tucked them in his jacket. "Thanks. We'll need t' talk to the parents, too. We'll need their address, and th' names of the people we should see at th' hospital."

She made another list. "Lukas may be reluctant to talk to you--he has already expressed scorn for the idea." She shook her head. "The young so often discount anything the old have to say. He is only twenty-four, and he knows everything, of course. But Larissa..." she nodded, "the girl was raised right. And she knows." Mrs. Johensen squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. "A mother can tell. My God, what the girl must be going through."

She touched a tissue to the corner of her eyes, then shook her head. She piled several cookies into a napkin, folded it, and handed it to Gabriel. "Here, young man, take this."

"Oh, really, ma'am, I couldn't."

"Of course you can. I saw you eyeing them, but your politeness overcame your greed, which is as it should be. Take them."

Gabriel did, but he protested, "Ma'am, this is a linen napkin."

"You will return it when you report to me."

He grinned. "Yes, ma'am, I will." This time Gabriel joined Friederich in his bow as they left.

"She reminds me a lot of my Grandma Knight," said Gabriel as they walked back to the car. "Maybe not quite as sweet, but genteel and practical to the bone."

"She is a lady rather than just a woman," Friederich agreed. "I hope we can help her."

"Well," Gabriel slapped him on the back before going around to the passenger side, "we're gonna give it the old college try, anyway. The hospital is closest--let's try there first."

 

END PART 4