TITLE: "SOME KIND OF HEAVEN"

AUTHOR: Alison M. DOBELL

FANDOM: "Farscape"

PAIRING: JOHN/CRAIS series

RATING: PG-13.

STATUS: New.

ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.

FEEDBACK: Welcomed

EMAIL: AlisonMDobell@aol.com

SERIES/SEQUEL: SEQUEL to "THE SATISFACTION OF HONOUR"

WEBSITE: http://www.carlajane.50megs.com/Ali00.html

SUMMARY: "Moya finds herself facing a leviathan gunship. Rygel tries to get Crichton back
to the others before Scorpius can catch them."

The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.


"SOME KIND OF HEAVEN"
A "Farscape" slash story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL

Aeryn could not believe it. "Pilot, what does Moya say?"

"Moya confirms it, Aeryn. It is another leviathan gunship."

She could not believe their luck. "If it's a leviathan gunship then that means..."

"There must be Peace Keepers aboard."

"Oh frell!"

Aeryn commed Chiana. "Chiana, I need you in command - now!"

"What about Crais?"

"Let him rest. We have company!"

"What about D'Argo and Zhaan?"

"We don't have time to get them back to Moya."

Chiana felt worst than lost. The hopelessness of their situation weighing her down. She could not raise a smile for Crais and the former Peace Keeper Captain kept insisting on getting up. She picked up one of Zhaan's potions. She was in no mood to be diplomatic. "Either you shut the
frell up and stop fighting me on this, or I'll fill you with every bottle in this apothecary! I should warn you, Crais, at least a third of them are forms of poison."

* * * * *

Oblivious to the plight of their friends, Zhaan and D'Argo tried to retrace Rygel's movements down on the planet. The trouble was no one remembered seeing a Hynerian. At least. That was what they said. D'Argo could not understand how Zhaan could stay so calm.

"This is a waste of time!"

"Would you think it a waste of time if it were your life in the balance, Ka D'Argo? Or mine? Or Aeryn's? Or Chiana's?"

He muttered something she could not make out. After a quarter of a arn in silence he spoke again. "What makes you think he wants to be found?"

"Rygel is many things sweet D'Argo but he is not immortal."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means he values life. He would no more wish to be stranded down here than you or I. Therefore something or someone must have detained him."

"Then we should check the gambling establishments not the bazaar."

"Good idea. You check the casino and I'll check the bazaar."

He frowned darkly at her. "That was *not* what I meant, Zhaan. We must not get separated."

Zhaan stopped and looked at him for a microt. "What would make you happiest, Ka D'Argo?"

He snorted. That was easy. "To return to Moya as quickly as possible."

The Delvian inclined her blue head gracefully. "Exactly and if we split up we can finish our search in half the time."

D'Argo huffed in frustration. He knew he should argue with her but she was right and he did want to get back to Moya as soon as possible. Seeing his hesitation, Zhaan played her trump card.

"I will of course, keep my com link open sweet D'Argo. At the first sign of trouble we meet back at the pod. Agreed?"

He nodded. "Agreed."

* * * * *

Chiana could not believe the sight that met her eyes. "Another gunship?"

Aeryn nodded and had Pilot increase the magnification. Chiana jerked her head towards Aeryn, nervous and uneasy. "Have they seen us?"

She nodded in response. Then Pilot interrupted them.

"We are being hailed!"

Startled Aeryn frowned at the other leviathan. "What? The Peace Keepers want to talk to us?"

"No Aeryn," Said Pilot. "It is a Dramarkian vessel."

"What the frell...?"

Chiana's eyes widened as a small ship approached from the other side of Benryddin's moon. Moya was equidistant between the strange leviathan and the Dramarkian vessel.

"What do they want, Pilot?" Said Aeryn.

Pilot's voice sounded stunned. "The Pilot is requesting assistance. He is a Tomusk."

Aeryn and Chiana exchanged a blank look. "What the frell is a Tomusk?"

"Aeryn. The Tomusk is saying that he carries a Hynerian and he is injured. He says the Hynerian gave him these co-ordinates."

"Frell, it's Rygel!" Exclaimed Chiana.

"Okay, Pilot, let them land. We'll meet the vessel in the landing bay."

She broke into a run with Chiana. Half way to the landing bay they met Crais walking carefully in their direction. Chiana began to scold him but Aeryn did not have time for this. "Out of my way, Crais!"

"What is going on Aeryn? Perhaps I can help?"

She did not slow down but hurried on passed him, Chiana now running down the corridor ahead of her. "We are going to the landing bay. It seems Rygel hitched a ride home."

Crais raised his eyebrows and paused to catch his breath.

In the landing bay Chiana waited impatiently behind the blast door as the Dramarkian ship landed. The outer doors closed then sealed. Once the internal air pressure had been restored the blast door opened and she ran over to the little ship, only slowing down when she got to within a metra of it. Aeryn hefted her pulse rifle and approached with more cautioun. She was not as trusting as Chiana or Pilot. This could be a trap. The door slowly opened and for a microt nothing happened, then the Tomusk stepped down from the vessel and bowed. He waited and did nothing further. Chiana went straight up to him. Alarmed, Aeryn tried to call her back. "Chiana! Stand back, you don't whether he's armed!"

Chiana ignored her, instead she spoke to the alien. "Okay, Pilot says you got a Hynerian on board. Where is he?"

The Tomusk indicated inside. Chiana tilted her head and looked cautiously into the dark interior of the ship. She looked at the Tomusk, suddenly wary. "What's the matter? Why don't you talk?"

The Tomusk did not react. Too impatient to try again Chiana darted inside the ship. Aeryn bit her tongue angrily and covered the Tomusk with her gun. He did not move or seem overly worried about the fact that she was armed and pointing a loaded weapon at him. A cry from Chiana brought Aeryn over to the doorway of the vessel. "Chiana, what is it?"

Chiana's voice sounded broken, upset. A microt later she stuck her head out the door and looked at Aeryn. "It's Rygel, he's injured. And Aeryn, don't ask me how, but he has Crichton with him!"

* * * * *

Crais stood for several microts in the corridor mid-way between command and the landing bay. He decided to head for command and see what was happening. Aeryn had promised to keep him updated but that did not mean a thing. He knew she was only sticking close to him because of her
promise to Crichton much as he would have liked to think it was for other reasons. His progress was slow but at least he did not feel as if he was going to pass out any microt. It was good to be up and about, moving again. He already felt much better and each solar day that passed found him stronger. He might not be well enough to spar with Aeryn yet but he could at least hold a pulse rifle. That had to count for something.

When he got to command he asked Pilot to update him. A view of the other leviathan gunship appeared and he sucked in a sudden breath. "What in the name of Cholok is *that* doing here?"

"I believe," Said Pilot, not realising it had been a rhetorical question. "That it is looking for us."

His answer roused Crais out of his stunned reverie. "What?"

"The ship, Aylsa, is conversing with Moya. She says she has been bonded with a Sebacean Pilot and..." His voice broke off as he listened to Moya, then resumed a microt later in shock. "Moya says the leviathan is not crewed by Peace Keepers."

Crais frowned. "That's impossible."

"She says it is crewed by Scarrans!"

* * * * *

Chiana was almost in tears. Rygel looked in such a bad way, stirring slightly as she carefully guided his throne sled towards the apothecary following Aeryn and the Tomusk with Crichton. The human looked as if he were wearing a death mask, his skin grey and clammy. His breathing so shallow he hardly seemed to move. Rygel stirred enough to half open his eyes. It seemed to be the best he could do. Chiana had to lean really close to hear his barely audible words. The pain evident in every word. "Did you...?"

She put a gentle hand on his shoulder, upset but wanting to comfort him too. "Yeah, we got John. Don't try to speak Ryge."

He struggled, his words beginning to bubble as his lungs filled with fluid. "Is he...is he going to be...?"

She patted his shoulder and tried to keep her voice steady. "Hey, it's early, you know? He'll be fine. Once Zhaan gets a look at him we'll patch him up." She did not tell him Zhaan was not with them but down on the planet surface looking for him.

Rygel's mind was drifting. Even so he clearly heard Crichton's voice in his head. "Hey, Sparky, you did good!"

Rygel smiled slightly despite his pain. The human was not the only one who could come up with a plan. "John, you're...?"

"Yeah, Buckwheat, you did it. Now I owe *you* one. So do me a favour and go to sleep, 'kay? 'Cause even Dominar's need their beauty sleep. See you on the flipside."

The Hynerian's eyes were closing, reassured by the sound of his friend's voice. "'Kay," He mimicked the meaningless earth words. "The flipside..."

As he drifted off to sleep Rygel was aware of Crichton leaning over and planting a gentle kiss on his forehead. "Sleep well, sweet Prince."

"Dominar." Murmured Rygel, automatically correcting Crichton. The next microt he had lost consciousness.

Chiana stared at him. Realising that the Hynerian thought he was talking to Crichton. Tears rolled slowly down her face. For all his faults she was very fond of Rygel. Beneath that crusty old shell beat the heart of a friend. A kindred spirit. She looked at the piece of metal sticking out of his abdomen and looked for something to help with the pain and stem the bleeding.

Aeryn was kneeling beside Crichton, her hand clutching his, her eyes fastened on his face. That was how Crais found them microts later. He had tried calling them over the com but when no one answered his fertile imagination started to sketch in all kinds of scenarios. None of them good.
He came with his pulse rifle at the ready, half expecting to see Peace Keeper soldiers on board Moya despite the fact that Pilot would surely have warned him had that been the case. His heart almost stopped when he saw Crichton. The restriction in his chest robbing him of words. He Tumbled over to them and laid a gentle hand on the human's cheek. His skin was still warm to the touch. A faint air of breath stirred against his palm when he checked to see if he was breathing. "He is still alive then." He whispered with relief. His relief tinged with a hint of awe.

Aeryn looked at Crais. Both knew they were staring over the edge of a precipice. If the fall did not kill them the landing surely would.

* * * * *

Raknor grinned, his needle sharp teeth displayed like a set of kitchen knives. His men were getting ready. He looked at Mirkot and made his intentions plain. "I want the gunship alive, the other leviathan is expendable."

Mirkot felt his heart quail at the implication. Aylsa was horrified that the Scarran wanted to take the young leviathan away from his mother, especially as Moya had told her the extent of Talyn's injuries. <We must not let this happen> She told her pilot.

<I agree but how can we stop them? There are too many Scarrans aboard this vessel, Aylsa, and I could not bear it if they hurt you>

Aylsa adjusted the secretions flowing into her symbiotic partner. He was not alarmed. His trust in her complete. <You are Sebacean>

<Yes>

<You cannot survive extremes in heat>

Mirkot was careful not to show any expression in case the Scarran Commander became suspicious. <That is true>

<Scarrans are not like Sebaceans>

<No> Responded Mirkot carefully, wondering what she was getting at. <Scarrans love the heat>

<Yes, but they hate the cold>

Silence hung between them for a microt.

<I control all the life support including the temperature>

Mirkot smiled inwardly knowing Aylsa would feel it too. <What do you plan to do?>

<How much cold can you stand?>

He almost grinned but forebore. As with most things in life, he had learnt that timing was everything.

* * * * *

The market place was very busy. Hundreds of stalls littered the bazaar, their wares as diverse as their clothing. Had her need not been so urgent, Zhaan would gladly have spent many arns browsing among the stalls. She was selective, her eyes taking in everything and noting the various denizens and what they were doing. Her ear detecting many accents, many conversations, but none of them spoke of a Hynerian. She was beginning to feel that D'Argo was right. They were wasting their time. Then her eye caught a flicker of irridescent white silk. She turned her head and an old wizened face looked back at her with the power of knowledge and memory that drew back a veil she had long kept closed around her.

"We have been waiting for you, P'au Zotoh Zhaan!"

"How do you know my name?"

"We know many things."

A pause. "Then you know why I am here?"

A graceful nod, then the figure turned and began to weave its' way through the crowded stalls. Zhaan followed, her path so clear before her that she could have followed it in the dark. Once at their destination, the figure before her introduced herself and then her two sisters. For a long
microt Zhaan said nothing. She was placing the three alongside fragments of memory. "You are Rakalas."

All three gracefully inclined their heads towards her. Zhaan bowed in response. A depth of calm washing over her that made her hungry for the Seek. "You have seen Rygel?"

Xen Tsi spoke, her voice like parchment burning slowly. "Yes. He is no longer on Benryddin."

Zhaan felt a sharp stab of disappointment. It pierced her deeper than she expected, her mouth ripe with disappointment. The ashes of a doomed quest.

"You have not failed." Said Xen Dar.

"I do not understand. I came to find Dominar Rygel, if he is not here then I have failed."

Xen Tsi shook her head slowly. "So wise yet so blind."

Zhaan's eyes closed a little. "How so?"

"You look but do not see. You journey but do not arrive. You think in terms of distance thus your focus leaves you without the gift of insight."

"Riddles," Murmured Zhaan.

"Maybe riddles are all we have." Said Xen Jow.

A pause. "Can you help me?"

Xen Dar looked at her for several microts. "You or your friends?"

"Must I choose?"

Xen Tsi inclined her head. "There is always a choice and a price to be paid."

"What price?"

"For you," Said Xen Jow in a neutral voice. "It is the Delvian Seek."

Zhaan paled. It was the one thing she wanted more than anything else. The definition of her life as a P'au. She said nothing, fighting to calm herself down and regain control of her emotions. She realised she could not let any of the others die if she held the possibility of saving them within
her grasp. She nodded shortly, her eyes lowered to hide how much it hurt her. She was silent as the stones were cast. As she was leaving she paused to ask a question, not expecting to get an answer but curious nonetheless.

"If I had to give up the Seek, what did Rygel have to give up?"

For a microt there was silence. Ah well, she had not expected an answer anyway. Zhaan had almost reached the door when the cracked voice of Xen Jow spoke. The answer shook her. "His Empire."

* * * * *

Crichton glared at Harvey. How could anyone enjoy thunderstorms so much? "You are sick, do you know that?"

The clone laughed and shook his umbrella at Crichton so that he got sprayed with the rainwater. "You lie on the point of death and have the audacity to say *I* am sick?"

"Not that kind of sick. You know what I mean."

"John, why do you insist on arguing over semantics? You have to fight or you will die."

"Yeah and if I die, you die. Every cloud has a silver lining."

"That is not very comforting."

"No, but a death without you in it has to be some kind of heaven."

"Now you are being morbid as well as foolish."

"I'm not foolish."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Are."

"I am *not* doing this pantomime with you, Harvey."

"Spoil sport."

"Go 'way."

"Don't you want to know why I'm here?"

"I know why you're here. To make sure I don't die happy."

"Very funny, John. I'm here to help you."

"You mean help yourself."

"Exactly!" Beamed Harvey.

At that precise microt the sun came out and the rain washed landscape disappeared. He blinked into the bright sun and frowned at Harvey in a broad rimmed sun hat licking an ice cream. His mood was not improved by the garish coloured shirt and Bermuda shorts.

* * * * *
END