Julon Crion: Memory

By: Lopaka Tanu

Fandom: Farscape

Archive: Yes, just tell me where.

Disclaimer: I own Nata Beaver Dam Thing.

E-mail: jlrjroon@ccrtc.com

Rating: R

Warnings: Violence, Character Death, Trans species, Angst mentions of Mpreg but none in it.

Beta: None so be warned.

Category: After 4:06 AU Slash and Het.

Coupling: John/OMN, John/Chiana, John/Nerri, TJohn/Aeryn, others.

Challenge:

9. Eavesdropping - whether accidentally or otherwise, your character overhears part of a conversation... Whatever it is that your character overhears... how will he react?

Author's Note: Spoilers for like a whole lot of the series, set directly after Promises, episode 4:05 and episode 4:06 only some biology facts about Nebari, John being able to predict wormholes, and D'Argo as captain, the rest of that frelling episode does not exist. No matter what happens, this is not the last part in the series, there will be more.

Summary: In the wake of the most devastating events since the sacrifice of Talyn with his Captain, Bialar Crais, the remaining crew of Moya grieve for their lost friend and family. Believing the worst has happened, Chiana makes a decision on an offer Nerri has made. After this decision, the crew of Moya proceed with their plans toward Hynerian space. Peace Keeper territory; the Sebacean armies are preparing for war as the armadas of three other species line up on their borders. In the midst of all this chaos, a revelation is made that will rock the foundation of all that they have been lead to believe. On an alien world, a Nebari awakens. All events have a purpose, a meaning for being. All have been leading to a single moment in time, a second that will be remembered for millennia, the death of John Crichton.

Key Words: Nebari, Slash, Hybrid, Royal Planet

Story Note: Each *** is in a different time. An example of this would be that what is happening with Crichton does not happen at the same time as with Chiana. They will not match up until the next part.

Lyrics: "Banks of Claudy" by Loreena McKennitt.

 

Julon Crion: Memory
By: Lopaka Tanu


Part 3 - A

"How far have you to travel
This dark and dreary night?"

"I'm in search of a faithless young man.
Johnny is his name.
And along the Banks of Claudy
I'm told he does remain."

"This is the Banks of Claudy
Fair maid where on you stand.
But don't depend on Johnny
For he's a false young man.

Oh don't depend on Johnny
For he'll not meet you here."

"Banks of Claudy." by Loreena McKennitt.



"On the borders of Kell space, there are four squads of Scarran ships. It appears the Intel. on their fleet positions was lacking. To correct this under sightedness, I have dispatched four Command Carriers to search for further movements."

"Very good, Commandant. How do your other projects fare?" The gray haired Sebacean gave an appraising look to her subordinate.

Mele-on Grayza bowed her head in silent acknowledgement of the compliment "Project Oseridus is showing positive results. We should know in the next few days if the children will survive. Since our unfortunate inability to gain the crown on the royal planets, our technology in this area is extremely limited."

Dolsana nodded once. "Yes, it has been a great defeat that the Royal planet should fall from our hands for yet another generation. What does this make for you?"

"My fifth attempt," was the curt reply.

"Five times in as many hundred cycles, what has gone wrong?"

"Jenavian Chato, she was a weak member of your species. I warned you and the other members of Supreme Council not to place such a delicate mission in her hands, but you over ruled my judgment." Her voice never left the faintly amused tone, but carried an undercurrent of lethal promise.

"It is true, our sights were not as broad as yours." Dolsana waited until Mele-on felt smug about her superiority before continuing. "But unlike you, we have not failed four previous chances. As you can recall, only you were around during the last Supreme Council's rein."

"I recall quite well. I also seem to remember their actions too cost us the victory. We all know what happened to them for crossing the Royals. This was the closest we have come in all my five hundred sixty cycles, and your operative obliterated it."

"Yes, it was our fault this time. Perhaps next time?"

"No!"

"No?" Dolsana's eyebrows raised over the remark.

"There will be no next time. I am through using your pathetic disrupters for tasks they are not qualified for." Mele-on turned to face the three quarter century old Peace Keeper Councilor. "No, this time we do it my way. We can not afford not to."

A sobered woman now replaced the seventy-five cycle old councilor. "What do you mean?"

"I am talking about Scorpius, his mission has failed. I am talking about the Scarrans, they want results. Your bumbling attempts have created lapses in both areas. That ends as of this moment." There was a throat cleared at the entrance to the large private gardens. "Good, bring him in."

Three men ushered in a small purple being with six fingered hands. Closely following them was Scorpius and Aeryn.

"What is this?"

"This, Councilor, is an Avarian." She gestured towards the purple alien. "They rival the Diagnosians in their medical abilities." Slowly she walked towards the trembling figure. "What makes this one most important is not what he does, but who he did it to." One of her hands snaked down to cup his chin and make him look at her face. "Tell us what you know of the one who calls himself John Crichton."

He shook with fear. "I... I don't know any John Crichton."

"Then any variations of the name he might have been using."

He nodded as his eyes seemed to loose focus. "Crion, Julon, other known aliases, John. Species, Nebari. Allies: Ka D'Argo, Male Luxan Warrior. Chiana, Female Nebari Runner. Noranti Pralatog, Female Traskin Herbalist. Sikozu, Female Kalish. Dominar Rygel the Sixteenth, Male Hynerian Deposed Ruler of The Hynerian Empire. Condition: Virulent strain of Recombinant DNA. Treatment: Healing of damage done to immune system by Transpeciel Mutation. Side effects: Subject is now more than ninety-eight percent Nebari, brain tissue mutation causing memory loss that may prove permanent, and host subject now with child."

Silence settled, with the force of a super nova, upon the room. For the first time in recalled history, Mele-on's face was a look of pure shock. Her eyes narrowed soon after as she glared at the trembling healer. "Explain, now." The calm, cold voice made all in the clearing take a step back.

He nodded emphatically as he swallowed. "It is the side effects of the virus' attack on his DNA. For unknown reasons it mutated his genetic structure on the molecular level, he is now almost completely Nebari. Almost all traces of his own personality will have been either expunged or
assimilated. Even if he did survive the child birth, he will be completely brain dead." When the Commandant started towards him, he backed away. "I am sorry, but the damage was already done. I did what I could, but it was too late. By now, his condition will have already degraded to a point where he can not survive with-out machine support."

Mele-on snatched him up by his left hand and held him at face level. "That is not what I meant! My questioning was that a viral agent does not cause pregnancies in a species where there are two clearly defined sexes!"

The doctor flinched again. "Not normally."

"What do you mean, not normally?" She dropped him as if burned, rubbing her hand against a guard's uniform.

"His DNA profile is not normal, from what I gather. Until four cycles ago no one was even aware of his species. There is no set standards for his people, we do not know how he would react to anything much less the side effects of a virus of this nature."

Aeryn stepped forward standing at attention in front of the irate Commandant. "If I may, I have information on his species that might prove invaluable."

"Proceed."

"His people, like any logical race, are based on two different sexes, but there is a third sex inherent in a percentage of their population. This percent is growing with each hundred cycles. The Nebari also have this group in their own species, they call them Androgens. John's people call them Hermaphrodites." All eyes were on her with disbelief.

"What is the purpose of these beings," Dolsana asked Mele-on.

"I have no idea, until now I was not aware of such a being in any species, aside from Nebari."

"They have no purpose as far as John knows. They are believed to be abnormalities created during gestation."

"Fascinating!" The purple doctor was studying Aeryn as she finished speaking. "Do you know if they can reproduce?"

"That is what I wondered. According to him, they have no problem conceiving or siring a child as long as they have the correct genitalia"

"That explains so much." He smiled at his audience. "I mean if his people had the capability to reproduce in such a manner, then it is entirely possible for him to have changed and done just that. What I do not understand is how the child was conceived with completely alien DNA. In this case, Nebari DNA was used to conceive and produce a child.

"The child contained three strands of Nebari DNA, two fathers and a mother. The young female Nebari was the mother, the first father was identified by the Luxan and later verified by Julon. However that still leaves the mystery of who the last and final father is. At first I thought it was Julon himself, as it matched a large part of his new DNA, but I was corrected by his friends. Any ideas on whom it might be?"

All eyes turned to Aeryn expectantly. "I have no idea. Until two hundred microts ago I was unaware how much of a tralk he truly was."

Scorpius, who was all but forgotten at this point, spoke the next question. "How is it possible for him to be a Nebari? We understand how he became this... Hermaphrodite, but not a Nebari."

"Yes, that is the question." The doctor twiddled his fingers for a moment. "The best I can think of is the Virus reacted to an immunity and the Nebari DNA already present in his system which acted as a catalytic agent."

"Then where did he get an immunity to this virus? As far as we know, only the Nebari were the ones with the cure, and of those, only members of the establishment, controlling members." Mele-on's question was met with silence. "Then it appears we have yet another mystery on our hands. In light of recent news, I believe it best that Officer Sun be monitored closely. Scorpius, I assume since there may be a chance that the worm hole knowledge is lost even to John, that you will wish to pursue your other project?"

"You are correct, my research is almost complete."

"Then see that you do not fail." A small throat cleared behind her, causing Mele-on to turn and face the doctor. "What is it?"

"Am I still to be terminated?"

"No, you still have other uses. You know more than any other what the capabilities of this new John Crichton are. For now you will work with our other scientists on this project and make sure that Officer's Sun's child is unharmed by this development."

Nodding, "as you wish."

She stalked out of the garden with the guards on her heels leaving the others to talk among themselves.

****

His eyes opened to the world around him as the voices continued to rise in volume. They were talking about him, saying things he couldn't make out. There was something wrong about them, like he knew most of them, but they were different. Sighing, he decided sleep was better than introspection.

"We can not let it continue," a man called out, angry in his words and actions.

"It is not for us to decide, his fate is his own." A sweet voice, John new her well.

"This matters not. All that is, shall be, all that was, will be again."

"But we have no right!"

The man nodded solemnly. "True that may be, but it is no longer his choice."

"It is always a choice, whether it be his fate, or theirs, there is always a choice. That choice is his; not ours, theirs, or anyone else's. It is his choice, and he must make it alone." Her voice was filled with sadness as she spoke.

"We can not permit him to make the wrong choice."

"There is no wrong choice, his goals may not be the same as yours. So what you may perceive as right may be his wrong. This is his decision, all we can do is present the facts as they are."

"Very well, but no distortion of the truth on your part." The Ancient known as Jack spoke to her.

"Nor yours," said Zhaan.

"Agreed, let it begin!"

At the finish of his statement, the lights in the room dimmed. John laid alone in the bed, his head shaking from side to side as he fought off the feeling of nausea. "Did anyone get the number of that worm hole? Man, I thought after giving birth this shit would stop." A cool hand touched his
forehead and trailed down to cup his cheek.

"Dear John, you always were so naive."

"Blue?"

"I'm here, John."

"What's goin on, how come I can't see you?" Suddenly a brilliant blue form glowed in to life. "Whoa, cool! What's with the Christmas tree effects, babe? I mean, I know you are a plant and all, but..." Her laughter stopped him flat. "I miss this."

"As do I, my friend. But we have no time for this. I am here for a specific reason." Her friendly face took on a picture of regret.

"I'm dying, aren't I?"

"Yes, your body wasn't meant to suffer the shock of child birth, much less a change so drastic." Tears welled up in her eyes. "There is nothing I can do, John, I'm sorry."

He reached a hand up to touch the tear tracks on her face. "It's okay, blue, we all die."

"It is not okay, John," she admonished. "You have a choice to make."

"Of what, heaven or hell, cause I gotta tell you, I am not to up on eternal damnation part?"

"As a matter of fact, yes."

"Figures. I choose heaven." He took in her pensive look as she turned away. "What? What is it, Zhaan?"

"I'm afraid it's not that simple. There are other things to consider, things you may not want to see."

John rolled his eyes as he gave a deep sigh. "Why am I not surprised?"

"You must not be so flippant about it." When he seemed a chastised, she gave him a perplexed look. "Perhaps you can tell me something first?"

"Yeah, you got it, shoot."

"Why Julon Crion?"

"I needed something that sounded phonetically like my name, but with enough difference that no one would spot the obvious lie. Sides, too lazy to come up with something original." He smiled at Zhaan's infectious giggle.

A few feet away, the pilot sat with his arms on the controls. "Hang on, buddy. We will take good care of you. Doc says not to let you die until he had a chance to get a look at you first." He snorted when the alien spoke another incoherent bit of speech. "You and me both, brother, you and me both." Looking at his copilot, he raised an eyebrow.

Jim shrugged. "He is speaking too fast for me to understand. It keeps coming and going. I think it has something to do with that injection that robot gave me."

Red looked back at John. "Speakin of them Robots, where'd they go?"

Jim looked back. "Damn it! Did you tell IASA about 'em?"

"Nope, you?"

"Nope."

"What Robots?"

"That is what I'm thinkin."

********

All was quiet in the central chamber as the crew of Moya ate their food, those that could eat, were. Chiana had refused to touch anything besides the stash of rasilak that was hidden away. Whenever the others approached her, a low string of curses followed by a near violent end to their existence as she fired Wynona at them was her only reaction.

Nerri was the only one allowed with in a metra of her. Even then he was not allowed with in touching range. He knew it must change and soon, they were all going to die if they did not. There was nothing he could do for the others, but he could at least save her. All he had to do was find a way to inform her of his offer. His chance came when she had passed out from her tenth drunken induced coma.

He had removed her weapon's power cartridge, and forced her to eat something while she was still in a daze after waking up. The others had sat there and watched as she lay in his arms, unmoving or seeing.

D'Argo and Rygel had been discussing possible locations with Pilot of where Eliss could have ended up. So far all searches turned up negative. There were hundreds of possibilities for their search, but D'Argo vowed he would not give up until he found their missing crew member. The fact that John had made a conscious decision to leave them did not factor in. It was simply a matter of finding and convincing him that he had been wrong.

Through all their goings on, Sikozu had listened to their mindless searches and questions. She was beginning to wonder the logic at having remained on board this ship. It was hard being here when even the Pilot hated your existence. There was no logic to them, no clear line of command, they were a group of complete chaos. And with-out the Human to act as heart, mind, and soul to these pathetic refugees, their lives had lost all purpose. It truly was a sad day when even she felt a loss over the Human. That meant her assignment was over, and she had a report to make for the Organization.

"Chiana I've been thinking, and I came up with something that can take your mind off the pain." She gave no acknowledgement of his words. "My people have been in contact, and I have told them about you. They are willing to give you a try, that is if you are interested in helping our cause."

He sighed as she continued to accept the broth he was feeding her. There were worse things in your life than to lose those you cared about most. He had learned that the hard way when the resistance forced him to abandon her. Therefore he could grasp a little of what she was going through. It was not an easy thought process, but he needed to get to her or else he may lose her
again, only this time forever.

"Chiana, you have to say something, at least tell me to frell off!" Trying to distract himself, he focused his thought on other things. "What in hezmana is that smell?" Following his nose, he came down to the bowl he was feeding Chiana from. "By Grenax, why didn't you tell me this stuff smelled so bad? No wonder you are completely farhbot, smells like shratta dren. What in it could cause such a stench?"

Chiana started laughing as he finished speaking. Her sides shook so hard that Nerri feared she was having a seizure. When her whispering laugh reached the ears of the others, all were silent in their workings.

"What is so funny, have you finally lost what little mind you had left?" Rygel moved his throne sled in front of them. "Well spit it out." The next instant he was covered in the broth, and Chiana was laughing harder. "What in the name of all the Hynerian gods has gotten in to you?"

"The broth," she wheezed out. "Noranti's broth."

"What about that Traskin witch?" D'Argo was standing at her side in an instant. "Did she do something to you, poison your broth?"

"No... John." Chiana was gasping between laughs. "She made him a broth."

"I saw her making it, did she poison him with something?"

Chiana shook her head as Sikozu spoke. "Something in the broth, she put something in the broth all pregnant Nebari need to carry a healthy baby. It was terrible, the smell could knock down a Scarran at fifty metras." Standing up, her body still shook from laughing.

"Well tell us already."

Chiana's laughs subsided to a small giggle as she rubbed the Dominar's ear. "Keep your pants on, your fogginess. She didn't poison him. She only added a few necessary... Nebari proteins."

"Where did she obtain these proteins?" Nerri was getting a sinking feeling in his chest.

"The only other male Nebari on board, where else, big brother?" She laughed as his mouth flapped in indignation. The others joined in with her as tears of stress ran down their cheeks. "Wrinkles was more than a little tinked in the end, but at times she was all right."

"Don't Chiana..."

"No, D'Argo, I have to. If I don't accept all of her, I can't forgive her. She doesn't deserve my scorn, she isn't worthy of it." Shaking off Nerri's arm, she stood and walked toward the cooler. "I'm hungry, what else we got in here?"

D'Argo and Rygel looked at one another as Chiana raided the cooler. His features asked a question as Rygel shook his head and looked away. "What ever you want, Chi."

"D'Argo, don't," her hand went up, stopping her search, "call me Chiana, no reminders, just don't." Facing him, she plastered on a calm continence. "I can't deal with it, not now or else I will go completely nuts." At the Human's word, she sobbed a little, then lowered her head. "Frell it all to Hezmana, I'll be in my cell!" Grabbing something from the cooler, she ran from the central chamber.

The others stood in silence for a moment before Rygel floated out, followed by D'Argo and Nerri. Sikozu waited a few moments before resuming eating her food cubes, it was that time of cycle again. The silence in the room suited her mood. She had failed in her goal, but succeeded in her mission. There would be a special commendation in the file for her, but she didn't care. As far as she was concerned, this was her last job. Finishing her meal, she walked out of the central chamber, thoughts focused on her final report to the Organization.

******

Sitting in the middle of the scrolls, Jool's eyes kept darting back and forth between three of them laid open in front of her. Rubbing her eyes, she tried to believe what she saw. "This can't be right. There is no way this is possible, there's just no way!" Grabbing the scrolls up in her arms, she
stood and headed for the exit. As she moved about the tables, she ran into one of the priests. "Excuse me."

"Did you find what you were looking for?"

"I think so, but I can't be sure, can you help me with this?" She took in his appearance, then shook her head, speaking the in unison, the same words as he. "You know I can not do that, I can only inspire, to do other wise would interfere with your development." She nodded at him. "Thanks, a real lot of help you lot have been."

He nodded at her in return with a big smile. "We are happy to serve."

"Yeah, well how about you serve by cleaning up this mess for me?"

"It is what we do."

"Thank you." Taking the three scrolls, she hastily made for the basement of the temple. She glanced from the scrolls to the walls, marking certain symbols on the prayer wheels to that of the scrolls. "I knew their was a pattern, the key is finding the right path."

Behind her in one of the darkened halls stood three priests. "She learns fast."

"As it is so meant."

"Do you think she will solve it today, I grow weary of waiting."

The first two priests smiled at the third. "Patience, we have been waiting a long time. What is another day or cycle in the grand scheme of things?"

"At this late in the developments, it could mean the end of it all, and not for the better."

"Calm yourself. She has time." Sounds of agreement from the other two were all that were heard before they disappeared in the shadows like specters.

****

"What in hezmana is this?" The young Nebari female Runner wrinkled her nose at the sight of John as he was brought in to the transport area with them. "Couldn't they have tossed it out with the rest of the dren?" Several of the other Nebari in the group made noises of agreement.

"You will remain silent, he is in need of our assistance." A well dressed Nebari Guide kneeled beside John's stretcher. He placed a hand along the side of his neck, taking the pulse. "He is alive, barely, but alive. Seeker, please help me to..." In the next instant the Nebari male was shoved aside and the butt of the rifle shoved in his stomach.

"Keep back, you. We don't need your kind catching whatever this one has." The female Sebacean glared at him as she took aim with her weapon.

The guide narrowed his eyes at the Sebacean female. "You have already contaminated us, Peace Keeper. Any further measures of quarantine on your part are a sign of further ignorance. Allow me to at least ease his suffering, or prove what we have known all along about your barbaric
species."

She hit him again. "That is for speaking that gibberish." When the others of the same group of Nebari started toward her, she turned her weapon on them. "Un uh, I can kill all of you in an instant, just try it, I dare you."

"Medraht venu, Sebacean Tralk!" A younger Nebari from the seekers was silenced as a hand was laid on her shoulder.

Snickers came from the runners as the Human woman glared at them. "Esot westa, Tralk?" Laughter filled the transport bay.

"It will do you no good to continue taunting her. Her ignorance is clear to us all. These Sebaceans are primitive, even more so than your allies the Peace Keepers. I would suggest staying out of the way of this one, her temperament is extremely volatile."

"Thanks for stating the obvious, rek licker!" The female runner grabbed herself then spat at John which earned her a butt in the stomach from the Human's rifle.

"Damn aliens keep up with this shit and I will have all your asses spaced!" To prove her point she kneed the female runner in the face.

"That is enough lieutenant! Touch the aliens again, and I will have *your* ass in a sling." A new Sebeceanoid came into the transport bay. He was followed by six armed men and women. "The first aliens we have ever encountered and you are already causing an interplanetary war. How fucking dumb are you?"

"They're just fucking test subjects, sir!" She smirked as the Nebari started to hurl curses at her in their language again. "You know the IASA is going to make sure none of them ever see the light of day again." She nudged John with her boot. "Starting with this one. As it is, the only experiment he is going to be going through is an autopsy."

"We'll see about that. In the mean while, I want you to report to the waste treatment compartment. There you will be given your new assignment, they have been bitching about needing a new flusher."

The Lieutenant's face screamed murder when she saluted and turned to go. As she walked near the stretcher where the fallen alien was laying, she kicked out a foot at him. Instead of her intended goal, she was pushed off balance and fell on her face. The lieutenant came up growling, looking for the culprit. When the guards trained their weapons on her, she stormed out of the transport bay.

The Guide inclined his head towards the human. "Kei geishe."

"You're welcome. What is your name or official designation or whatever your kind call themselves," as an after thought, "mine is Captain Jim Flaningin?"

An amused look adorned the Guide's features. "I am Guide Resoh of the Nebari Empire."

"So you are a Nebari?"

Resoh nodded once as he spoke. "You can understand me?"

"We Humans aren't as dumb as some would have you believe. Sorry about the Lieutenant, she will be properly punished."

"Humen?"

Jim snorted as he shook his head no. "Hu-man, it is pronounced Hu-man. Yep, from good old planet Earth. We will be going there just as soon as they finish getting the shuttles prepped."

"Then you are not Sebacean?" Resoh glanced at his people with a look that silenced all questions they might of had.

"Not that I know of, what is a Sebacean?"

"They are similar to your species, remarkably similar. Most belong to a military power called Peace Keepers. A short tempered race with a penchence for violence and mass destruction. Aside from their physical appearance, which is identical to your own from what is visible, they have a terrible intolerance to heat. Sends them in to a comatose state known as the living death." He inclined his head as he looked at Jim. "Does your species have problems tolerating heat?"

"Are you kidding? Most of my people thrive in temperatures upwards of ninety degrees." Jim smiled as he seemed to be lost in memory. "In fact, this station is chilly compared to what we are used to."

"Then that rules out the possibility of you being Sebacean. They would be having trouble focusing in this temperature, any higher and they would become incoherently mad." He made a clicking sound with his tongue. "Extremely volatile creatures, even more so when the madness of living death starts to set in. Their allies are even more destructive, or else they would not be allies. Never trust a Peace Keeper, they will turn on you in an instant if they see a better position to get what they want."

"And what is it exactly that they want?" Jim swallowed as the Nebari looked him over like a prized stallion.

"That is a matter of debate." He smiled a bit then gracefully nodded towards the glaring runners. "With them, it is to aid in our downfall so that they might prevent the inevitable. The same can be said for many other races of the Uncharted Territories. However it varies from race to race. As a whole, the Peace Keepers want total dominion of the Universe. We know they can't, so they will take what you already have instead."

Snorting, Jim followed Resoh's look to the runners. "Sounds like a few bullies I knew when I was a kid."

"Bullies?"

"Yeah, you know, like them Peace Keepers you mentioned. They take what everybody else has because they can. Usually it is because they are too dumb to figure things out on their own and they misplace their anger on those weaker than themselves. Other times they are just plain old mean and need a good ass kicking to set them strait."

"Ah, yes, then we understand each other on these things."

"Yeah, I guess so. What about your people here, why are they so divided?"

Resoh paused for a moment in his gestures toward the runners, then continued on with using his hands to send visual signals to his people. "We are divided into two groups. Those who work with our governing body in order to maintain stability and cooperation. Then there are those who disagree with our system and methods." He pointed a hand towards the runners in a display fashion. "Hence those that are referred to as Runners. We were attempting to retrieve our wayward siblings when our ships were pulled into a transpatial anomaly."

"A worm hole?"

Silence filled the bay as they stopped all gestures and attempts at communications. All eyes were on John in an instant.

Resoh was the first to brake the shock. "You are aware of such things?"

"More than you know, bud. What is goin on here? Where am I, who are you people?" The Nebari moved to his side to hold him down as he tried to sit up. "What the hell?"

"I am afraid you are still too ill to be up. If you are to live, you must remain in a resting position." He continued to hold John down until he stopped struggling. "There, now stay that way. We can talk all you want as long as you do."

"I wanna know what is goin on here."

"Of course." Resoh pointed to himself. "I am Guide Resoh of the Nebari Empire. This is my acquaintance Captain Jim of the Humans. Do you know who you are?"

"The name's Julon, Julon Crion." A half smirk. "At least that is what the voices tell me."

"Is there more that you can tell us about yourself?"

"Yeah, the voices say I am dying, but I get to choose which I go to." John rolled his eyes as he yawned. "Go figure the dead. Oh well, see you on the flip side." A moment more and he was unconscious again.

"Well, that was certainly informative." Jim held up his hands in submission when Resoh narrowed his eyes. "Hey, just sarcasm."

"We can certainly do with-out any of that."

"Fine, but good luck finding a human that doesn't use it."

Sighing, Resoh stood and returned back to his people. "I fear, then, that this is going to be a rather long and tedious mission." There was a loud grinding sound followed by the shaking of the transportation bay.

Jim turned towards the hanger bay doors as they started to open. After a moment, he bowed to the cursing female Nebari Runner. "I believe your broom has arrived, my lady."

"Get frelled!" She snarled at him, but complied when the guards shoved her towards the hangar doors with the rest of her group.

Two more jump suited guards walked in and picked up John's stretcher then carried him towards the doors. Following after him, the Nebari retrieval squad walked with their heads held high and a pleasant smile on their lips. Jim shook his head and followed them out as his armed escort pushed him forward.

****

The door to her cell opened letting the light filter in. Chiana squinted as she backed against the wall. "Go away!"

The black haired head slowly appeared in the light. "Come on, Chiana, you can't stay in here forever."

"I will stay wherever the frell I want! Now leave me alone!"

Nerri sighed as he moved more into the door way. "Will you at least listen to my offer?"

"It won't matter, it won't bring him back." She shook her head to clear the fog. "Nothing matters anymore. It was all for nothing."

"Chiana, you can't waste away in here, I won't let you! Now get off your ema and do something." There was nothing that would get him in faster than making her angry. This way he might have a chance of her listening to him, at least before she tore him to pieces.

"Won't let me? You can't stop me! I will do what I frelling please, and you have no control over it." She snorted at her own thoughts. "I could starburst out my ema, and the only thing you could do was admire the pretty lights." After another few microts, she went still again.

"You are going to listen to me." When she did not move to hurt him, he decided to be bolder and move in closer, but slowly. "I am not going to hurt you, Chiana, I only want to talk. We have to talk, you need to get this out of you and start to grieve. Then move on with your life." There was no sign that she heard him. "Please, sister, talk to me, I miss you."

"Two monens."

He was shocked at the change in topic. "What about it?"

"She turned two monens today. M'Lila, my daughter, is now two monens old." She whispered her words with a flat, emotionless voice.

"I didn't realize..."

"No one does. They are too self involved to care about such trivial things." This time anger filled her voice. "I am sick of them and their self serving dren. It was that way before Crichton left. That is why he left, to get away from them."

"I know this, you have told me this a hundred times. There is something..."

"And I will tell you a hundred more! I will keep telling you until you listen to me! I am not the little Nebari you left to fend for herself, Nerri. I have grown these past six cycles." She stood as if to prove her point. "You can't tell me what to do anymore, Nerri! I won't stay behind this time!"

"That is why I came here. I have a deal to offer you."

"A deal to offer me? I might need to check your ear for a cooling rod, you are starting to sound like Scorpy." She tilted her head to the side as she looked at him.

"Scorpy? Chiana, focus here, on me! I am offering you something..." Nerri grabbed her arms, but let go when she pulled her pistol on him.

"Speaking of Scorpy, did you know he and that treacherous Tralk Aeryn Sun were lovers? Yeah, she was pregnant before she left. All that time John thought she was carrying his kid. We should've known! Now she is off with some kid of hers, and I am stuck here in this dark cell with a bottle of Razlac mourning not only the loss of my best friend, but also my only child.

"At first I didn't want her, too afraid to mess up with her. I thought that I couldn't handle a little girl of my own. After a while I kinda got used to the idea, and started thinking, may be having a kid wouldn't be so bad. Then it came to me that I would have Crichton there to help, and he loves the little mongers." She turned away. "But I never got that chance. I saw her there in my arms, and I knew with-out a doubt I would give my life for her. But I never got the chance." She bit back a sob of grief. "Do you know what it is like to find yourself loving something so much, coming so close to true happiness, and then having it snatched out of your arms," she napped her fingers, "like that?"

"Every day of my life." Nerri pulled her back to his chest. "Every day I mourn the loss of our family, our parents, you." He heaved a great sigh as he bent his head forward to lean on her shoulder. "I know what it is like to loose the most important thing in my life. This is not the first time we have lost those we cherish, nor will it be the last."

"Well I can't do it anymore." She sagged in his arms as grief surged forward again. "I can't, Nerri, I can't. It hurts too much."

"You have to! That is not a request, and before you say anything, as your big brother, I have the right to order you around."

"Some big brother!"

"I deserve that, I know. Just let it out, Chiana." He rocked her gently as she screamed out. "We will get through this."

"No," she shook her head in denial. "I can't."

"Yes!" He gripped her arms tightly. "Let go of it!" After a while, he let her sink to her knees, but did not let go. "Rest Chiana, we can talk later." And she did.

****

"It can't be!" He rubbed his eyes with four of his twelve fingers. It couldn't be possible. The Avarian doctor stared back down at the problem through the eye pieces on the genetic sequencer. It was impossible, but the evidence to the contrary was staring back at him. Sighing with fear, he sat back on his stool and prepared the tests to run again.

"What can't be?" The smooth voice sent a thrill of terror up the Avarian's spine. "Have you come across something that endangers my offspring?"

"Na.... no Scorpius. It is nothing, just an error in the test. I am running a na... new test now."

Scorpius moved closer, laying a hand on the shaking being's shoulder. "Let me see what you have found, I may be able to clarify where your testing went wrong."

A look at the Hybrid, and the Avarian nodded. He jumped down from the stool and moved over to the farthest wall away from Scorpius.

Sighing at the cowering doctor, he bent forward to see what upset him. At first there was nothing remarkable about the DNA sample that he could find. Then he compared it with his memory of his own. The Scarran growl was met with the screams of the Avarian. "What is the meaning of this?"

The doctor shrieked again as Scorpius loomed over him. "I don't know what went wrong. It shouldn't have done that."

"What have you done?"

"Nothing, I did nothing, I swear. Those are samples taken from before I was even brought here."

"What is going on here? Why is my Avarian doing away from his work station?"

Scorpius turned on Grayza. "You did this!"

Her eyes narrowed as she moved closer. "I would be careful of what you accuse me of doing. Perhaps you care to explain to me what I have done before I have you punished for assaulting my crew."

"The Child! She is not mine!"

"Impossible, I checked her DNA myself."

He growled again as he pointed towards the genetic sequencer. "Examine for yourself the evidence of your work, Commandant!"

"Very well, Scorpius." All was quiet as she looked into the sequencer. "You are wrong, the child is very much yours."

"Impossible!"

"I suggest you compare your DNA samples again, Avarian." She turned to Scorpius. "As for you Commander, I have had about all I can tolerate of your primitive ways. If you can not control a simple Scarran urge, then you are not fit to command, much less be a Peace Keeper. Control is what separates us from them, Commander. We have it, they don't. You must remember your training, or else relinquish control of your crew. We are at war, and our leaders must remain strong at all costs."

Scorpius glared at the Avarian once more before nodding at Grayza. "Explain to me why there is no Scarran DNA in the sample."

"It is very simple, Commander." She made a gesture towards the sequencer, motioning him forward. "If you will study this sample, I will show you what no other has seen in over twelve thousand cycles."

As he moved towards the machine, he froze at her words. "What do you mean?"

"It is very simple, Scorpius. Please examine the samples."

He bent forward and did as instructed. As he watched the samples changed before his eyes. "What is this? There are two samples here."

"Yes, Scorpius, two samples, both from Aeryn. What does this usually signify?"

He stood at attention. "Twins!"

"Very good, now examine the twin to the sample you looked at a moment ago." She smiled as he scowled but did as was told. "As you see, there is nothing to be upset about. Both of your offspring are in good health, and shall remain that way."

"How is this possible? Sebaceans can not produce more than a single offspring during pregnancy." He continued to study the DNA samples. "One is Sebacean, the other is Scarran, both pure."

"Yes, that is the mystery to me as well. We have been so far unable to discern how it came about. We believe it to be the work of the third parent, but there is no evidence of his DNA in the mixture."

"John Crichton, the Human enigma." Scorpius released an amused growl. "It seems our mutual interest has left yet another mystery for us to solve."

"Indeed, but rest assured, we will solve this one." Her tone turned deadly as she froze the doctor with her stare. "Won't we, my little Avarian."

Nodding, he swallowed. "Yes, Commandant." As he went back to his business, the other two walked from his lab talking.

"Another thought has occurred to me, Commandant. What other effects can we expect from Crichton's DNA?"

"I know not, Scorpius. We have no further samples, as the Carrier they were stored upon came under attack by an unknown alien presence. My lab and equipment not stored here was destroyed, that includes the unborn hybrids incubating in the growth cylinders." Her voice went flat as she spoke. "Now on to the reason I came for you. There is a new assignment for you, and a fleet of fifteen Command Carriers awaiting a leader."

"Ah, that explains the lecture on self control." He smiled at her smirk.

"Partially, yes. I wish to keep him loyal to me, alone. That is very hard to do if you damage him beyond working status." A moment of silent laughter and she sobered again. "Your task is to retrieve Princess Katralla from the Royal Planet with all their biological technology, including any samples of Crichton's DNA stored in their labs. Stop at nothing until you have what I want. You may do with the Empress as you wish, I hear you and she have unresolved issues."

"Yes, Empress Novia has been a hindrance on our work for more cycles than I care to remember. It will be a great pleasure to finally have her at my mercy."

"Take care not to upset the Royal court too much, we need their resources for the war with the Scarrans and their allies." They walked through the red and black corridors until they came out in a large glassed over observation deck. Mele-on gestured to the open expanse in front of them. "There they are, the pride of the fleet."

Scorpius' eyes went wide as he looked out on them. "I have never seen such."

"They are the prototypes of the new fleet. U-tech has been working on them for over sixteen cycles." The smile of pride was evident in her voice. "Your project was the final piece in their design."

"Singularity cannons?"

"Each ship is equipped with ten such cannons. They take a larger power supply than frag cannons, thus the greater size of the ships. Their speed is twice that of previous Command Carriers, and they have a few other surprises that the Scarrans have yet to know." She turned him to face her, a deadly serious look on her face. "These ships have taken the resources of ten worlds, and two million Peace Keepers. Do not make me regret your appointment to Fleet Commander."

"What does the council have to say on this?"

"They are in total agreement with my decisions." A moment's pause. "Those that had opposed me in the past are now silent. This is a war of more than control of a Galaxy, it is about survival. Who ever wields the power, lives. We both know the consequences of surrender to the Scarrans. I will leave you to it then, I still have a few projects of my own."

As she walked away, his eyes watched her movements, saving every piece of information he could. She was not the only one with other projects. Unlike hers, his could wait, after all, he had time. For now, he had an entire fleet to ready for battle.

***

The dark figures shuffled around in the shadows as he came aware of his surroundings. John sat on a rock by a creek, a piece of long yellow grass sticking out from between his front teeth. The worn overalls and the straw hat his only clothes. As he looked about, the shadows slowly lit up in the morning light. A clearing in the middle of an old growth forest was filled with stumps and rocks others were sitting on around him.

"Okay, when did heaven become a swamp?"

"As I have told you, John, we are not in this heaven, we are in your mind." Zhaan's voice carried a musical tone as she whispered in his ear.

Crichton backed away slowly looking at her. "Kinda close, aint ya, Miss Mattie?"

"I am a part of you, John, always will be." She stood up from the rock and walked around to stand in front of him to offer him her hand. "Come, it is time."

"Time for what?" He stood, the tears in the knees and ankles of his overalls allowing easy movement. As he adjusted himself in the overalls, pulling the wedgie out, he started to laugh as the images came to him. "I'm Tom Sawyer."

"Yes, you are Tom Sawyer, and I am Rebecca of Sunny Brook Farm. Now lets go."

He laughed again as he followed her towards a large stone with a group of people sitting on it. "No, it is Becky, but you were close. So Blue, what's up? Why is it so important that I decide?"

"The fate of more than your life hangs in the balance, John. You must listen to what we have to say, and then you must decide. I can tell you no more than what you already know, but that is enough." She gave him a serene smile. "Fear not, dear John. It will work out in the end, have faith in the Goddess and she will not lead you a stray."

He nodded as she finished, it made since in that weird Zhaan kinda way. "Okay, lets get the show on the road. Who is first in the game, John Crichton, this was your life?"

"We will all have a say in it. But you are right, someone must go first." She sighed to herself. "It is your decision who speaks, and who fades away permanently, always was, always will be."

"Hunh." This was news to him. So this was really his head. Looking around, things were a lot more orderly than he had thought. The light was not early morning but late evening, and the clearing was not so much a clearing, as a clear cutting.

Trees had been here once, he could tell from the stumps and the tore up ground around him. The creek was not as clear as he thought, most of the water was dark, and there was less of it. The trees that remained, were fading in their former glory as most hung limp, no leaves for their branches. The grass around his feet was turning brown, and the smell of decay was in the air.

"Okay, enough with the metaphors already, I know I am dying."

Zhaan gave him an amused look. "We are doing nothing, John, this is your mind. There is no hope for this place, the serenity here is set for death, all that is left is to let go."

"Then why am I here? If all I have to do is die, then why am I here to listen to all you dead people?"

"That is up to you, we are here to give you advice. You know why you are here."

"Then tell me for fucks sake, why?"

"There is no need to get mad. Look with-in John, you already know this." She reached up a hand to cup his face. "Crichton, you are not foolish, merely stubborn. Open your mind to the possibilities, and it will come, you will see."

"I don't want to."

"Why not."

"Cause I'm afraid to die." Tilting his head, he shook it. "No, not afraid, more like not ready. I'm not through, there is so much to do, so much to experience."

"None of that matters, John, they are simply pleasures that come with a price. That price has come too high, and too often, now you can no longer maintain the strain of living." He looked away as his eyes filled with tears. "You know I am right."

"Then why tell me? If it is too late for me, then why tell me?"

She looked away. "It is not yet time for that. You will know when it is, though. Then you must decide, heaven or hell."

He waited in silence as she continued to look away. "So what, am I to just listen to a bunch of dead guys talk about... stuff, and decide if I would rather spend the rest of eternity in heaven or hell?"

"In it's base essence, that is the truest form of what is going on."

"Fine, lets get this show on the road."

"You must choose, John."

"Okay, I get. Choose John, choose John, choose John. You are starting to sound like a broken record, Zhaan." When she looked like she was going to ask, he held up a hand. "Just, don't, suffice to say it is a device we recorded voices on to play back later for personal use. Got?"

She nodded.

"'Kay, good, now we are getting somewhere." He looked around the clearing at all the many faces, some he recognized, others were a complete mystery. "Who are all these people?"

"All who have touched your life at one time or another. This is what is left of them, most are dead, but few live still in other parts of the universe." Zhaan gestured to the group with an expanding gesture. "Most have been brought to you by others, such as Stark and myself, through joinings of the mind and spirit."

"Okay, got that, now who do I want to listen to?" Turning around in the dry grass, he stopped upon the first recognizable face. "Captain Bialar Crais, I choose you." Suddenly they were back on the rocks in the center, John was on the center rock, higher than the others. Zhaan was on a lower rock to his right, Jack was on his left at the same level, and Crais was in front of him on a rock mid height between the two levels. "Okay, this is weird. So what do we do now, you try and snatch the pebble from my hand grasshopper?"

"I have no intention of attempting anything with you, John Crichton. I will tell you what I came here for, and then leave you in peace. Or rest in peace as the case might be."

"Hey, you kicked the bucket first, pal, so enough with the lame ass dead jokes."

"This is not the time nor the place to hurl insults. Make your peace or pick a new speaker." Jack's controlled tone made John take note of the angry alien for the first time.

"What in hell are you doing here?"

"I am the mediator. Whatever happens, I am to keep the order. If something goes against the rules set, I am to remove it. Zhaan is here to keep you balanced, and grounded on the subject. Do not interfere with either of our tasks or this will be over, and you will be forced to choose regardless of the outcome."

"Great, what are the rules?"

"You are not to argue with the speaker. You are to let it happen, do not fight the sequence. There is to be only one speaker at a time, if you have a question of them, direct it to Zhaan. If you have a fault with the speaker, direct it to myself. You are not to speak to the speaker directly or the session is over. Three times you do this and you will be forced to make the decision. Are these understood?"

"Not entirely, but I will make do as we go along. Get to it."

Jack nodded, then faced Crais. "Captain Bialar Crais, former Peace Keeper, and a member of the Sebacean species. What have you to tell us?"

Crais looked at each one for a moment then let his gaze settle on John. "I wish to begin with the truth. John Crichton killed my brother, and for that, I will never forgive him."

John felt the same old anger rise up in himself, but a cooling hand from Zhaan let him know to keep it to himself until it was over. This was going to be harder than he thought. What in hell could be so important that they put him through this? Never being one to runaway from the strange, he decided to give the trial, hearing... whatever the hell it was, a chance.

****

Rygel floated into command, his throne sled the only sound heard above the whisper of Moya's systems. There was something different to him, almost as if it was wrong. He couldn't put his royal finger on it, and that bothered him. For the next five hundred microts he tried to figure it out. Nothing had come to him by the time D'Argo entered command an arn later.

"What in Hezmana are you doing up at this hour, Rygel? Pilot said he would alert us the moment something entered his sense horizons."

"You may be Captain, but that does not mean you are my father. I still decide when I retire for an evening." Rygel turned his throne sled to face the Luxan.

"You're right, I am just a little preoccupied, I shouldn't have..."

"That is enough, what the yotz has gotten your mivonks in a bind?" His anger made D'Argo look at him for the first time since entering command.

"It is nothing."

"Fine, save your rot for yourself, just don't take it out on me."

"That is not what I meant. I mean I can't explain it. Every time I try to come up what is bothering me, I come up blank. It is like... something is off. There is a balance, and we are out of that."

Nodding, Rygel floated closer to the command console, examining the readings. "I too have felt this. It is what brought me here. Perhaps Pilot knows?"

"Good thinking, Pilot?"

The image of Pilot appeared on the clam shell. "Yes, Ka D'Argo?"

"Are you picking up any anomalous readings? Any space or time distortions?"

"I am checking now." A pause. "There is nothing on any of Moya's senses. However that does not mean there is not. I suggest using the scanning devices Commander Crichton created to scan for worm holes. They have proven to be more effective than anything Moya has."

"Thank you, Pilot, we'll try that." D'Argo's tone spoke the exact opposite.

"It is nothing, we are happy to be of service." His image winked out as Rygel and D'Argo shared a look.

"I think I figured out what is wrong, it is too frelling quiet."

"Agreed." D'Argo watched as Rygel floated towards the exit. "You don't think we will find him, do you?"

"It is not a matter of thinking, it is what we all know. The sooner we stop lying to ourselves, the sooner we can begin to grieve."

"I will never believe him dead."

"Believing a lie won't bring him back, and it serves only to harm those that are left."

Slamming his hand into the central console, D'Argo began shouting. "Who is left for it to upset? First Zhaan, then my son, followed by Crais and Talyn. As if it wasn't enough we had Scorpius, Aeryn, and Noranti's betrayals all in time to watch the birth and death of John and Chiana's child. Now there is John's death, there is no one left!" Rygel's gasp made him growl in anger. "What is it now?"

"You finally admit it."

"What... I do not!"

"You did, and there is someone else left, one you had not considered in all this. Chi-an-a! Does she mean nothing to you, you heartless son of Hezmot?"

"What about her?"

By now, Rygel was glaring at the stubborn Luxan. "What about her? Have you even stopped to consider what your actions have meant to her this whole time? Giving her false hope for something that you have admitted will never happen. You are doing nothing that a good captain should, you are letting your own selfish desires bias your judgment."

"We are heading to your world, if any one is selfish..."

"But you have not stopped your search, have you?"

"No, because there still may be a chance that he had survived!"

Rygel shook his head. "No, not this time. His luck has run out. Even we, the more evolved species never had as much, good or bad. But like all good things, this has come too an end, and so must your futile search."

"Why are you set against the belief that he might be alive?"

"As a Dominar, you learn when it is a hopeless situation and when to give in to the truth. This is both, you are either too ignorant, or too stubborn to acknowledge it, and it is going to get us killed. Those of us that are left, that is."

"You are only interested in getting your throne back!"

"Oh, very nice come back, superior Luxan warrior, perhaps you can state something else we all know? Like Moya is a Leviathan, or we all live in a former Peace Keeper Prison vessel? Hmmm?"

D'Argo started towards him. "You had better watch what you say!"

"Or what? You are going to take even longer to reach my home? It is not as if you have better things to do!"

"I might!"

"Oh, yes, pine after a dead alien and search for that ungrateful tuwatte of a son. Why don't you settle down with a nice female and start a new family. You are of age, are you not?"

"That is of none of your concern! We will continue on this course till we reach your people and then you are on your own, your eminence!" He clutched his hands tight to slow the spread of the Hyper Rage. "If I see you other than when is necessary, I will not be held responsible for my actions!" After a final growl at his pint sized nemeses, he stormed out of command.

Rygel watched him go with a dispassionate air, but when the door closed, he shrunk back in his chair, visibly wilting from his emotions. "I will miss you too, my friend." Moving the throne closer to the forward view port, he raised his hand in a regal fashion. "May whatever gods that watch over us all, guide you to your deserved rest, John Crichton wherever you may be, alive or dead."

***

Bowing to her partner, Aeryn Sun never lowered her eyes. When the bow was complete, she swung around taking her ankle across his eyes, killing him instantly. Another twist of her body counter to the previous, and she brought her other foot up, taking his head clean off his shoulders. As the body started to fall to the side from the force of the decapitation, she jumped back, raising her left foot to kick out and strike the body. The body flew back with the sounds of bones braking landing on the mat with a wet plop.

Her anger spent, Aeryn assumed a ready position. The sounds of clapping brought her spinning around, raising a foot to attack the person. However, a leather clad hand grabbed her shin and twisted her leg down until she was face flat to the mat. She brought her other leg wide as she fell, attempting to sweep her handler off their feet, and only succeeded in getting it kicked back, dislocating the ankle.

The pain awoke her from the killing instinctual mindset, allowing her to realize her actions. "What the frell was that?"

"That, officer Sun, was a Scarran mental reaction to a perceived threat. All expecting Scarran mothers are primordially lethal during their pregnancy. It is a side effect of being such a terminally violent race."

Aeryn shook her leg free from Scorpius' grip with a growl of disgust. "I am not a Scarran..."

"No, you are not, but our child is."

"Our child is only part Scarran."

"Not, he is not. She is a full blooded Sebacean, he is a full Blooded Scarran. What amazes me, is that both of you are able to survive the extreme heats his tiny body is producing, quite a remarkable skill." He pulled her from the mat by the vest she wore, back to his chest. Trailing a hand down to her abdomen, he growled in pride. "Such a strong pair already. Do you know why there are never twins in a Scarran society?"

"I know the reason Sebaceans can't have twins. Our bodies are designed for efficient breeding cycles. Growth only occurs when the body is not producing the fight or flight chemicals. More than one child at a time could prove deadly to the mother. I assumed it is similar reasons for them."

Scorpius felt slightly alarmed that she had not touched on the subject that they were twins, or their genetic purity. "That is not the reason. Tell me, did you know you were pregnant with twins?"

Aeryn yanked from his grip and whirled on him. Cocking her head to the side, she eyed him appraisingly. "Qu-atta lyo eih."

"You must fight these instincts, Officer Sun. You are a Peace Keeper, not a Scarran."

"It is eso me! The children, they are fighting for Eschal!" Suddenly she snarled and launched herself at him. When he sidestepped her forward thrust, she spun around raising her left foot to strike at his face.

"I am sorry, but I must do what is best for the children." Raising his right hand, palm vertically flat, he hit her with a wave of heat energy that sent her flying back against a wall. His body shook from the exertion required for the use of the weak skill. Before he could recover, Aeryn was up and charging at him again.

Just as she was about to reach attack distance, two separate energy blasts hit her from either side. Stopping, her body shook from the shock waves, but did little else. She bellowed a growl that had Scorpius reciprocating before he even realized it.

"What is taking so long, Commander? When I summoned you from your crew orientation to deal with her, I did not mean for you to be recreating your Scarran courtship."

All froze as the calm voice, echoed in the training room. Aeryn used their confusion to assess the new opponent. A female, a possible rival for her territory. Her eyes narrowed as she charged forward, hands in the ready position.

"Commandant, look out, she has gone..." the guard's voice trailed off as Aeryn reached Mele-on and fell back from her attack unconscious as the Commandant's hand collided with the side of her head.

"As I said, what has been taking you this long to secure one pregnant female? She is not a Leviathan, and you are trained soldiers, Officer Sun should already be secured in the hibernation bunk. Now explain why this has not happened!" When the six occupants of the room continued to stare at her in shock, Mele-on narrowed her eyes in anger. "Or else, gentlemen."

Scorpius recovered enough to gasp out a reply. "It appears her Scarran instincts inherited from the embryonic cells of the fetus have made her stronger than even myself, and completely taken over her higher levels of reasoning. She is in a since, an Atavistic Pregnant Scarran. Even the alpha males of my fraternal species fear them."

"I don't see how this is any concern of mine, or how it would stop six trained, elite Peace Keeper commandos."

"You must forgive them and myself, we lack that which your own special parentage has granted you." He bowed slightly from his position in the center of the practice mat.

"Then you should have informed me that she was difficult, I would have never assigned those incapable of dealing with such a singular threat." Grayza surveyed the room and the remains of Aeryn's training partner. "Make sure that is cleaned up. Scorpius, seems how you are the only one capable of even remotely understanding her capabilities, you will secure her. Be quick about it, you have an invasion to command."

"Ah, Commandant, if I may have a word with you in private, there is something we need to discuss." When she had nodded and walked out, he followed her at a slightly faster pace to catch up after picking up Aeryn over his shoulder. They were at an equal pace before he started speaking. "She was aware of the twins."

"This was anticipated."

"She did not know that they were genetically pure, though."

"As is also to be expected. I fail to see what point you are attempting to make, but I suggest you get to it."

"She is losing control, this is not normal for either species." A dark smile crept over his features. "And her sudden tolerance for the heat the child produces is a mystery as well."

"As was stated by the Avarian in this morning's briefing, this was to be anticipated, even expected. Is there something new you wish, other than to waste my time?"

"Yes! Will any of this cause permanent damage to her?"

"That is of none of my concern. She is merely the host vessel for the embryos."

"But at what cost will you let this experiment continue?"

She stopped suddenly and violently turned to face him. "This is the only hope for our species, there is no price too high! I will go to Hezmana and kiss the feet of Cholock if it necessary to see the successful completion of this project! Do not stand in my way, Commander, or you will join our enemies in the halls of Manon!"

Instead of being intimidated by the Commandant, Scorpius' features assumed a faintly amused air. "So it is true, you are the daughter of the defector, Zyloma."

"And you are the bastard child of a Scarran rapist! We each have our own parental regrets. I made peace with my mother before I killed her, can you say the same?" His angered face made her smile. "I thought not, now continue on with your mission."

"Not before I have your assurances that you will use everything at your disposal to make sure Officer Sun is in relatively prepregnancy condition once she has bore the offspring."

Mele-on thought for a moment. "You know there is no way of telling what the Human infected DNA will do to her. It is already controlling her..."

"Your word, Commandant!"

"It has already been seen to, we are developing an antigen for the control DNA based upon the Nebari virus, and the Human DNA. We need that tech the Royals colonies are in possession of if we are to perfect it before it is too late to administer. So each moment you waste of my time here, the further from curing her we go. Now get out of my sight before I rip you to pieces myself, saving Officer Sun the trouble!" With her last words, she cuffed the awakening Aeryn, knocking her unconscious again.

"As you wish, Grayza, but we are not finished."

"You had better hope that I am never finished with you, Commander." Her normally reserved features contorted in anger before she disappeared behind a hidden door in the wall.

Scorpius shifted the groaning Aeryn on his shoulders. "It appears I have underestimated the Commandant, my mate. She has a stronger grip on our situation then I gave her credit for, surprising me like only one other being I have ever met. How amusing that they both now share a common bond."

****

Chiana sat in the middle of the central chamber, the silence of the room deafening. She had a decision to make, and the others were not going to be able to help her. Their opinions would do nothing but influence her to their way of thinking and that was no longer good enough. In fact they all had other reasons for being. What was that saying John had for this?

Like rats on a sinking ship!

She had seen a drawing of one before, and it reminded her of something the Kroel serve with velon sauce, it was stringy but pretty tasty.

They were acting like those proverbial rats, and Moya was the ship. Soon Moya and Pilot would be all alone again. Well that wasn't true, D'Argo planned to stay on board and remain captain. For what it was worth, she wished him all the best. Things would never be the same with-out any of the others.

Another pang of guilt hit her, she was going to abandon him like the others. But she had to do this, it was for her, she needed to grow up. That is what the others had been telling her for a long time. This time she was going to stand on her own, be her own Nebari.

"Yeah! I am an adult now, no more time for anymore childish games!" Then
another thought hit her. Who was here to care? A revelation of this kind
didn't mean squat if there was no one around to acknowledge it.

Crichton would say it didn't matter what other's thought, that as long as
she recognized the change, it was all that mattered. But he was wrong,
with-out others to acknowledge it, what was the point? Change was necessary
for life, but when there was no life, there was no need. She needed others
to say she did good, that she was necessary.

Life was no longer here, all the brightness, love and hope that had been
left, disappeared when John died.

"No, he isn't dead!" Who was she trying to convince? "I won't accept it, he
isn't dead."

Silence answered her.

He couldn't be dead, so much in the universe was empty if it was true. Stars lost their shiny and worlds went dark in the face of such things. All hezmana was turned up on its ema if it were true!

The stars were dark, her world was no longer shiny, and John Crichton was dead.

She needed to get out of there. There were too many memories! That was the only answer.

Chiana stopped in her thinking. The circling was taking her back to the same place again and again.

"It seems, you have already made your decision, pip."

Chiana looked up at the place the voice came from, expecting something, but there was nothing. "Yeah, I guess so." Standing up from the chair, she started for the door. Just as she reached it, she turned to look back in the empty chamber and smiled at the memories. "Not all of them were bad."

"There ya go!"

"I'll see you around, old man." A slight smile, and she walked out.

*****

"Do not deny that you are a murderer, John Crichton! I know better than most the true extent of your criminal history. In fact, my brother is not the first of your many victims! He is but the first since you arrived in this part of the Universe."

John started to stand and yell back at the figment of his imagination doing a pretty good imitation of pre-Talyn Crais, but the cool, calming touch of Zhaan's hand his stopped him.

"Please, remain calm, John. He is only stating what he believes to be the truth. This does not make it so."

"Well he doesn't have to be so..."

"Convincing," Crais prompted?

"Oh, now that does it, Jack, you said I couldn't interact with him!" He turned on the glaring alien with a snarl.

"I did, but I never said that he couldn't respond to what you told either Zhaan or me with-out our intermediation. You may continue, Captain Crais." Jack smirked as John sent him death glares.

Crais smoothed the lapels of his coat with a smile. "As I was saying, John Crichton, you are a disgusting piece of murdering dren. How you can live with yourself day after day is beyond the comprehension of any decent being."

Crichton smacked Jack upside the head, which made the alien glare at him. "You had better have a damn good reason for disrupting my services."

"Oh I got one all right. How come you aint defending me? I thought you were here to help incase I had a problem with one of these guys. Well I got a problem, doc!"

He narrowed his eyes at the Human, but nodded towards Crais. "Do you have any evidence to support this claim?"

"As a matter of fact, I do. Officer Aeryn Sun of Ankarian Company, KlyCzar Regiment! Another of your numerous victims!"

"You lying sack of crap! I did not kill her! It was Scorpius' neural clone..." John was silenced as he suddenly was in a poorly lit room, strapped to a reclining platform, mask over his face, and his body restrained in a strait jacket. "What in the hell?"

Zhaan walked into his view dressed in a pant's suit and short brown hair curling under at the edges. "I am sorry, John, but it was necessary. You violated the rules. Crais can no longer speak to you as is part of the agreement."

"So now what, am I supposed to call you Clariece and make sucking motions with my mouth?"

She hid a smile behind a cough. "I do not think that would be appropriate in this situation, but it appears to be one of your character's trade marks."

"Go Zhaan, finally getting one right. Now what am I supposed to do?"

"We interview another person of your choice." Suddenly the room lit up on the edges via track lighting. In front of him was an interview table, three chairs, a cassette recorder, and a wall with a door and one way mirror. "Now is the time to choose."

John shook his head from side to side getting a feel for the restraints. "How in the hell should I know who to choose?"

"I can not tell you what you do not wish to know."

"What does that mean?"

"It means you already know what is coming next, but you are unwilling to face it for what you know it means." Jack said as he entered the door, holding a case file in his hands dressed in a black suit. "Quite the history you have, John. If we had known what kind of person you really were, I doubt we would have been so trusting with our knowledge."

"Yeah, well you were the fools that placed the wormhole crap in my brain, so don't go all high and mighty now that the feline has escaped the portable cloth sack."

"Cute, very cute. May be we should just skip this and go straight to the decision." He slammed the file down on the table. "You evidently seem to be capable of making the decision on your own."

"Fine, bring it on."

"Enough, both of you, this is getting us no where. Jack, you will not antagonize him any further. John, time for you to choose..."

"He has already chosen."

Jack turned from the file on the table to look at the newcomer. "Excuse me, but do I know you? Your face looks familiar."

"I should certainly hope so, you killed me." She tilted her head a bit at the stunned gasp. "Well not exactly killed me, but you helped. You and all you represent were what actually did it." With a sigh, she half waddled, have slid across the room in the house coat and slippers. A moment, some
chair shuffling, and a big heave later, her pregnant bulk was sitting in the interrogation chair in front of the window. "Now where shall we begin?"

Jack shook his head to clear it. "Uh, of course, please state your full name for the record."

"My name is Aeryn Sun, Sebacean, former Peace Keeper, and lover to one John Crichton."

****

Her shrill scream melted the metal lock off the door as she knew it would. When the last of it fell to a puddle on the floor, she wrapped her hand in a cloth bandage made from the robe she wore. A few moments and the blood would completely stop, but right now she had other things to look at.

Jool lifted the portable light to scan the walls. There were more markings in here than any other part of the temple. She knew she was close, but was not sure of what. Things were going to get harder if she had done the translation on the scroll accurately.

Why did these priests have to make things so hard?

Her answer was always hanging in the air as she had heard it enough times, but that didn't mean she had to like it. She knew that it was important for a species to learn on their own, else risk the destruction of their entire species by one or two not mentally mature enough to handle the
responsibility that went with the advancement. But that could only come with experience with the new in order to desensitize them to it. Once the newness wore off, then they could begin to grasp what they had.

These arguments had been made on her world for many thousands of years. Many had questioned the wisdom of devoting their entire race to the pursuit of knowledge. They had even gone so far as to flee the home world in search of the true path. Their true path had lead them to the Scarrans and the ultimate destruction of their entire caste.

Everyone who had paid attention knew that the Scarrans believed not only in mental strength, but physical. When the Interion colony fleets had met the Scarrans, there was no battle, it was a slaughter. Since then, they had spent a good deal of their resources on developing a planetary based weapons grid that would destroy any ship coming even near the solar system, let alone the home world.

No, Interia was safe from outside forces, it was the people like Instructor Vella that threatened the Utopia that was her home. They were not ready for the advancements many of her people had made. Not once did they stop to question why they searched for more information and discoveries. On a world where the more you knew, the higher your social status, many didn't care.

This stopped her. Why was she searching for the answer to this riddle? Was there really something so important for her to find out?

Then she remembered a blue eyed Sebaceanoid who had similar genetic traits to her own species. He was a pretty good reason to continue the search for why they were linked, but what about the rest? Did it really matter how the priests of Arnesk kept the peace? It was done and over with, they were all here, but there was no peace to be found.

Yes, it did matter. It all mattered. A war between the two empires would destroy all her people had been doing for the past twelve thousand cycles, since the gods had left her world. She knew they weren't gods now, but back then, they had been enlightened, powerful people who could control the world around them. Of course her people were going to believe the Priests gods, and try to emulate them.

So for thirteen thousand cycles, since the priests first came to her world, they had been trying to reach the mental discipline the gods considered normal. Now she was here, and the only thing stopping her from becoming the very gods she sought, was a dark chamber. Entering the chamber, she waved the flash light around.

The walls were completely bare.

A dead end!

This couldn't be! She had checked all the markings and rechecked them for translation errors. There was no mistake, this was the heart of the temple, and yet there was nothing there. Turning to head back the way she came, she mused on how the priests only resembled the gods in body shape not features. So lost in her thoughts, she didn't see the slight shimmer in the door way as she walked through into a different world.

****

The shuttle was almost hollow inside. Jim commented that they resembled large Twinkies with wings. His alien audience was not impressed, but the guards shared a chuckle. After three more attempts at making small talk, he settled back in his seat next to the Guide of the Nebari. "What is so important that your people would resolve to arming a craft like yours with such weapons?"

"I do not understand your comment."

"Your ships, there are armed to the teeth. Is life really so terrible out there that you need such weapons?"

Resoh thought for a moment then nodded. "Yes, it is necessary. There are many dangers to order, out there. We must attempt to remain ever vigilant or the chaos of other races may corrupt our own people. Those we were in pursuit of were tainted by the ideas of those others. You have seen how pathetic and dangerous they can be. It is a great shame we have not done more to help them."

Jim nodded on this, not knowing what to think. He decided he had to have more details before making a judgment call. "What exactly did they do that is so bad?"

"They are constantly outside of order. For starters they are in complete anarchy. There is no leaders to enforce the laws that are necessary for any civilization to survive. Rape and murder are common place in their groups. No, it is much safer to have order, as I am sure your own people have found out."

Jim nodded, couldn't fault that, but there was also things that Resoh was not telling him. "What else happens in these groups?"

"They call themselves Runners, for all their many skills, intelligence is not one of them. An example of their lack in that area is their recent alliance with Peace Keepers. In the past two cycle we have started to amass a fleet in preparation of a conflict we intend to win. Their ships are no match for our own, but even a minor irritation must be dealt with."

His eyes went wide as Resoh's voice stopped. "You are that sure of your technology?"

"The Establishment is not one for half attempts. We will do what is necessary to ensure order is restored to the galaxy. All is for the greater good, and the greater good is all."

"So your group are a bunch of fanatical perfectionists?"

"That is one way to put it." Resoh gave him a polite smile.

"Why tell me all this?"

"We are on a mission of peace and good will. This our first contact with your species, our prime edict dictates we be open and answer all questions truthfully. It is our hope that you will accept us as your equals as we are doing the same. Hiding things from your equals is not a wise decision. It
leads to distrust and the eventual brake down of all order."

Laughing, Jim shook his head at the Nebari. "Damn, you're smooth. If I didn't know any better, I would swear you were a politician."

"We are all politicians, no matter our position."

"Yeah, I guess, you're right. Does that mean we are all going to end up on the front page in a sex scandal in the near future?"

Resoh looked sharply at the Human. After a moment of unnerving staring and contemplation, he smiled. "Perhaps, Mr. Jim Flaningin."

"Just call me, Jim."

"Very well and thank you, Jim."

He nodded at the Nebari as he eyed him wearily. Ultra polite, these Nebari were freaks, and he couldn't wait to see how they responded to crass American Military. As he thought about it, a signal came on over head, and the shuttle started to shake from atmospheric entry. Earth, they were almost home.

****

All hell broke loose when D'Argo and Rygel entered Pilot's den at the same time. Chiana had known he was angry, but to actually start firing on the Hynerian was a step too far. "D'Argo!"

"Stay out of this Chiana! This is between Rygel and me." D'Argo snarled as Rygel floated up towards a higher tier. "You can't hide from me, Rygel. I can still hit you from here."

"Not if you can't see, you frelling Luxan!" Then a green liquid showered down on D'Argo.

"You pissed on me?"

"You're right, my piss is too good for you!"

D'Argo fired at the hovering throne sled, missing again. "Hold still!"

"Missed again, some warrior you are!" When a shot went past his ear, singeing the hair, he gasped. "That does it, you Bartanic Greebhol!" Turning his throne around, he aimed directly for D'Argo and accelerated downwards. "Brace yourself, and kiss your ema good bye!" As he continued downward, he dodged the blasts from the qualta blade.

Before they collided, a figure jumped in the air, snagged Rygel, throne sled and all. All three rolled as Chiana held the squirming Hynerian.

"What the yotz are you doing? I almost had him!"

She slapped him across the back of the head. "Silence, your Royal Ema. And you, D'Argo, put the weapon away. I didn't call you here so that you could play Peace Keeper Pot Shot!"

"You called me here? What could possibly be important enough to place me in the same room as his Royal Flatulence?"

Before she could respond, Pilot cleared his throat. "If you are finished, there is a ship approaching!"

"What, Pilot, what kind?"

"It is a Nebari Star Runner..."

"Prepare for immediate Star Burst!"

"No!" Chiana tossed the raging Hynerian at D'Argo. "Pilot ignore him."

"Consider it done." Pilot watched her intently. "They are signaling, should I relay docking instructions?"

"Yeah, tell them, Nerri will be there to greet them, and I will be ready after I say good bye."

"As you wish. We will miss you greatly."

Chiana nodded as she wiped tears. "The same to you and Moya. Give her my regards and love." Moving closer to his console, she held out her hand to his.

"She heard you and we both wish you all the best. You always have a home here if you want it." Holding her hand, he helped her closer in to a hug. "Be well, and go with grace. Moya says to let you know how much we admire your decision."

She laughed through the tears as she pulled back. "It is not a decision I made, it is the only way for me to be able to move on."

"You are stronger than you think, and a choice like this takes greater courage than most ever aspire to."

Laughing again, Chiana backed down off his console and turned face the stunned faces of her crew mates. After a pregnant pause, she shrugged. "So now you know."

"When were you going to tell us?" D'Argo's voice expressed barely contained rage. "Were you just going to sneak off like you always do?"

"Did you not hear a thing that was said, you frelling son of a Hezmot?" Rygel floated up to his eye level, having reclaimed his throne sled. "She called us here to tell us she was leaving." Turning to face Chiana, he offered a chagrined smile. "Am I to take it this was a recent decision?"

"Yeah, I made it two solar days ago." Wiping her cheek, she walked towards him. "We, that is Nerri and me, have been discussing what I was going to do, and he offered to take me with him. In fact that is why he chased me down. They need me, me, can you believe it? Here I thought the only thing I thought I was good at was frelling, and they say they need me."

"It makes sense, you are a very good Tralk." This earned Rygel a twisted ear. "Watch it!"

"Be have then!"

"You as well."

She smiled once, kissed his brow, and let him go as he floated towards the exit. When the whirring of his sled could no longer be heard, she turned to face D'Argo. His expression was calm, but she knew he was wrestling with emotions that were threatening to boil over. "D'Argo?"

He abruptly turned and stormed out of the chamber.

Wilting a little, she hid her face. "Well, this looks like good bye, see ya Pilot."

"Good bye, my friend."

Silently, she walked from the chamber and through the pulsing ship towards the waiting transport. All the way, she kept her pace as slow as possible, waiting for something. Just as she reached the entrance to the transport hangar, Sikozu dropped from the ceiling behind her. "What do you want?"

"Not everything is forever, and death does not claim all. Watch the stars for your hope, and let them guide you to your heart's salvation. We are always watching, never forgetting what was thought lost and fallen to shadows."

A brilliant flash, was followed by a warm touch against the back of her neck. When she turned around, Sikozu wasn't there. It took a moment for her to put the incident from her mind, then she pushed the hangar door open. A calm expression as she faced her future.

****

John eased off his attempts of escape, a smile on his face. "So, Jack, looks like the me that is in control has got your goat. Tell her to please continue, I find this line of thinking extremely fascinating."

Jack glared at the Human. "I warn you, John, things are not always what they appear, nor the way we want them. You may continue Aeryn Sun."

"What am I to say?" She looked from one to another expecting an answer.

"Whatever you want. You are here for a reason, that reason is known only to you and John." Walking towards the table, Zhaan pulled out one of the remaining chairs, and sat down. "Tell us about yourself and John."

Aeryn gave a radiant smile as she look down, a deep redness coloring her cheeks. "Well there isn't much to say. Up until two monens ago, he and I were almost enemies. It took almost losing him for me to find out that I really did love him."

Zhaan gave a pleased smile as she squeezed Aeryn's hand. "Please, go on."

"Well, there isn't much to tell about this. I had been attracted to him for nearly three cycles, but that little mattered when you live a life like we did. Danger always a constant factor, what if he and I were to get involved and I lost him in an attack? What was I to do? I decided it was best left for others, that emotions made one weak.

"When you died after giving me life, all things changed. I decided that being as reckless as him might not be so bad after all. So little by little I started to give in to those basic urges, and I began to love. It was a foolish decision, a stupid mistake that ended in him being dead and me following close behind."

"I don't understand, how is choosing to love a mistake?"

"Things are not as easy for a former Peace Keeper as they were a Delvian, Zhaan. We are trained to resist emotion, to do only for the good of the regiment. I followed these basic instructions in my new regiment, my.... family, on Moya. I did not think it was in the best interests of our small group if Crichton and I were together, turns out I was correct in that assumption." Aeryn adjusted her position in the chair, holding on to the base as she slid around in the seat, trying to get comfortable.

"Is something bothering you?"

"No, it's just these frelling chairs and this pregnancy. I can't seem to get comfortable no matter what position I am in."

There was a moment of pause as Aeryn once again readjusted herself.

John watched as she arranged the crimson and black maternity dress to cover her body better. "Blue, ask her about the baby and who's it is."

"Of course, John." She smiled at him then turned back to the Sebacean. "Aeryn, will you please tell us about your child, how you came to be pregnant and who the father is?"

"Yes, it was just after I got back to Moya with Stark's mask and John's ashes. I took one look at Crichton, and knew it could never happen again. It was only a matter of time before I either killed myself or fled from this duplicate of the man I had loved. When he came up with the suicidal plan, it seemed like a dream come true. A way to prevent the Peace Keepers from acquiring worm hole technology, and earn an honorable death to be with John for all eternity like he promised." She sighed as she shook her head. "Only things didn't work out the way I planned it."

"Crichton was too good at his job. We destroyed the Peace Keeper Command Carrier, but I did not get the death I wanted. Crais was the one who took it. When I found out what they had planned, I couldn't let all those people die, they had been my family for over twenty cycles. We planned to warn them, but I lost my chance to be with John. In my desperate moment of grief, I found the only solace I could.

"He came to me in the middle of the gardens. I had been watching the children play in the grasses, and in that moment wondered what it would be like to have one. Having observed me, he deduced what I wanted, and made me an offer. Said I could have the child I wanted, we wanted.

"At first I was absolutely against it. He said there were things I didn't understand, that if I gave him a moment and listened, I would see the truth. He was very persuasive. Even as he explained the reasons for him wanting a child, and not being able to find a suitable mate, I was still firmly
against any such unions. Then he told me something that changed my whole out look on things. I was not the only one he wanted a child with."

There was shocked stillness as all eyes were on Aeryn.

"You see, his ideal mate was not of my species or any other he had been able to find. As a Hybrid, he was unable to mate with being outside of another hybrid such as he. That is until he met a certain being from a species, here to now, were completely unheard of. When Scorpius told this to me, I was aghast that he would even involve me in a plot to mix his DNA with my deceased lover's."

The muzzle tightened over John's mouth so that he couldn't speak but a muffled angry growl. Jack's grinning visage came in to view over his face. "Wouldn't want to interrupt when it was just getting good, now would we?"

"Aeryn, please continue."

"As I was saying, I was appalled at Scorpius wanting to use me or Crichton in such a way. But he explained it was me he wanted, he had admired me from afar. Said I had more strength or courage than any other he had seen. I realized then and now that it was only cheap flattery, but when you were as desperately lonely as I was, it is the best thing in the world. It opened the door for the possibility.

"What he explained next was what he had been hinting at before. It was more than just John he wanted, it was his adaptability, his resourcefulness, his ability to regulate heat. John had been tested by the Royals and was able to achieve a universal reproductive status. Simply put, he was the DNA equivalent of translator Microbes. If he was able to mix these things from John's DNA with ours, the child we could create would be the future of our species, one that could breed with any other to achieve the desired genetic traits. I knew this was not something of his divination, that such a plan and knowledge of genetics was not his field of expertise. Turns out I was right.

"The Commandant had offered him and me this deal, as a back up plan if his worm hole project failed to give results. As a former Peace Keeper, it seemed like the ideal solution. I would get my commition back, my fugitive status would be revoked, there would be a purpose for being; a greater purpose, and I would have the child of my John. This was all offered to me, if I would just allow Scorpius to be the other father."

She gave a short bark of a laugh. "Of course I accepted, and this part of my existence ceased to be. He had offered me heaven on a silver platter, as John would say. So I made a deal with the Devil, and signed over my soul for a ruling position in hell. It turns out there are worse things, like having to face going back to a ship with my dead lover's double. Impregnation happened the night before we destroyed the Command Carrier. I left three solar days later when I confirmed I was with child.

"As was part of the deal, I returned to Peace Keeper controlled territory in order to over see the first part of the pregnancy. Mele-on had no samples of the necessary DNA from Crichton, so I had to return to Moya. A story was concocted where I had played the part of an assassin for the half cycle I was to be away. But while I was off creating my cover story, I was infected with a biological agent, and Mele-on was playing with my lover's duplicate. Of course when I learned of this, I rushed immediately to Arnesk. He was in bad shape, and I wasn't much better off, so when we received word from Moya, it was just in time. In all this, I grew fond of the Scarran Hybrid, and the child he has given me, but I can feel nothing more. Thus, I am dead."

"And how did I do this?"

"You came to us, just when I was finally accepting my reality, you had to come and frell it all to Hezmana. Because you couldn't complete the device by yourself, you trusted that bitch of a delmac, Furlow, and got killed. That left my John to complete it, and ultimately die because of it. You just couldn't leave well enough alone. Given time, he and I could have worked things out if you had never put that worm hole knowledge in his head."

Jack looked thoughtful, then nodded. "Granted, we know this now, but what was done is done, and can't be undone."

"That doesn't make you any less guilty!"

"We are not here to settle old scores, Ms. Sun."

"Oh but I am, this may be the only chance I got. If I can never be with my John, I will at least make you suffer as much as I have."

"I assure you," he looked over at John. "I have. More than you know."

Aeryn sat back, her arms crossed and settled on her stomach. "Oh, please enlighten me."

"For the past cycle and a half, I have been attached to the conscious of your lover's double. Every mind numbing microt of his petty needs and whiny thoughts, I have experienced. You have no idea how much that.... that... APE, fantasizes about sex! And the many perversions of phallic objects!"

"Sex is not necessarily a bad thing..."

"It is when your species find such thoughts and ways of reproduction abhorrent!"

Aeryn put her feet up on the interrogation table, crossing her ankles as she smiled at him. "We actually find it quite pleasurable. It suits as a favorable punishment for you. What else goes on in that brain of his?"

"Endless thoughts, everything and nothing! His mind is total chaos, it is not that he is strong enough to resist mind torture, he is just too ignorant to be interrogated!"

"That is quite enough!" Zhaan was standing between the two, her eyes red in anger. "You will desist in this behavior at once, or I will personally see that any hell you envisioned while in his mind, is a pleasurable paradise! Do I make myself clear?"

Glaring at his counter part, Jack nodded and turned away from the smug Aeryn.

"Now Aeryn, is there anything else of importance that you wish to tell us?"

"Only that what we shared, even for that little while, was real. I did love one John Crichton, but not two. When one died, all possibilities for happiness went with him."

The room suddenly went dark, and John was standing alone. A small light came on over head, illuminating Aeryn. John gave a shy smile as he reached out for her. When she backed away, he let his hand drop. "Was there ever a chance for us, that you could have loved me?"

"I'm sor..." Then she was gone, replaced by a statue of a Nebari female.

"Strike two, John."

John turned about, his face contorted in confusion. "Zhaan, what in hell is going on here?"

She was dressed as a Nebari Guide, white hair in perfect Chiana fashion. They were standing in the middle of a silver room, the floor and walls polished sterling, and characters carved in them. Moving closer to him, she pulled a familiar weapon out of her sash, and aimed it at him. "I am sorry, John, but you have broken the rules again. You must be punished in accordance with our laws, for the greater good."

As he started to back up, he ran into a wall that opened nearly letting him fall out. He turned to face a city of silver, bathed in blue light. "What the hell..." A hiss, and he fell to his knees from the energy blast. Twitching from the pain, he saw as Zhaan came in to view, he blue skin in contrast with her white hair and gray-black uniform.

"Welcome to Nebari Prime, John. The place of your final review. Due to your body's continued decline and Jack's recent behavior, we have decided to let you handle this one on your own. I will be here if you need something." She pulled back, letting him get a look at his reflection in the ceiling.

"Ah hell!" His Nebari pigments stared back at him from the ceiling.

"Not actually. I prefer to call it, the Ghost of Nebari Prime Past. This is the way it looked before the Establishment took over." The awe in the voice made him seem breathless. "It was magnificent. I only saw it in the shared memories of others, a neat trick a Solusian taught us. With the right tech, you can share the memories of all linked to the system, and even store them on data crystals. Ah, but all that is gone now, no regrets and all that."

John couldn't believe it, this was impossible. When the shadow traveled over him as the person came closer, his eyes started to tear up.

"What is the matter, Julon?"

"M'Lan," John croaked out?

"What is it, have I sprouted Tinkas like a Luxan?" M'Lan looked up at the ceiling, and shook his head. "Nope, no Tinkas, and I don't feel the urge to kill something with my bare hands, so it can't be that." When John didn't laugh, he looked back at the man laying on the floor. "Well are you just
going to stay there all day while I do the talking? Now that is just plain rude, and some how, so typical."

John could only nod, still too weak to do much more from the energy blast.

*****

The Avarian sat on his stool with a sigh. Things were going too fast for him to accept them to be natural. Aeryn's pregnancy was accelerated to the point that he was considering cryonic storage if things got any worse. A normal Sebacean pregnancy was six monens of growth, while a Scarran pregnancy was up to fifteen. Her growth periods, if allowed to progress normally, would
only add up to two monens. That could very well kill all three of them.

To make matters worse, the Commandant had decided that because of the acceleration, both him and Aeryn would accompany Scorpius on the raid of the Royal Planet. This was very distressing, he was not a fighter or a field medic. He was a doctor, he had a normal practice back on the medical planet, or he had until those aliens had destroyed it. Then those pain in the ema Peace Keepers had abducted him. Now they were forcing him into a battle situation. Most very distressing!

Running his fingers against each other in a contemplative manner, he sighed. Something's just couldn't be helped. He needed to figure out a way to stay alive. People on this project had a bad tendency to develop a case of sudden and mysterious death. As long as he continued to keep the Sebacean woman alive, then the Commandant wouldn't kill him, but that was no protection against those other aliens.

He stopped thinking and figeting. You never knew what an unknown alien could do, so he had to be careful to guard his thoughts, just in case. Had to start thinking about something else.

Officer Sun.

Yes, the Peace Keeper female was something of an enigma physically. Her body was a Sebacean, yet she could tolerate the heat the child inside her body produced. This was not as surprising as it was mysterious. Scorpius' mother had survived his pregnancy, but not the birth. From what he had learned from the Scarran Hybrid, she barely did that. The data on the pregnancy was very thorough, he would expect nothing less from the Scarrans. Officer Sun did
not match any of the criteria in the warnings signs that she might die or miscarry.

In fact, she was in perfect health, as if her species did this sort of thing all the time.

Then a thought occurred to him. Sebaceans, for all their Peace Keeper blood lines, had the highest hybrid rates in the known galaxy. They had been breeding for a certain goal for thousands of cycles, and no one knew why. May be this was what they have been attempting to accomplish. It would be a truly monumental effort if it were so.

That asked more questions. What exactly had they been attempting to create? What was the planned, and what was the side effect? Who had started the project? Why do it in the first place? Was there more than one hoped for outcome?

These and more came to mind faster than he could explore the evidence to come up with an answer. There was only one thing he could do, he had to ask Mele-on if she knew. So much depended on the answers only she could give.

He began to wonder how best to approach her. If he did it wrong, she might kill him out of spite. Then again she might kill him for discovering the secret out in the first place.

What if that is why all those other specimens had been killed? Someone did not want the Sebacean secret to come out? Then that would mean Mele-on had no idea about it. So he was going to die either way! He had no choice but to ask her, at least that way he might have a chance of at least surviving the Peace Keepers. But that left the unknown aliens still.

This was all most distressing!

****

Chiana watched from the side of the transport bay as the last remnants of Crichton she had were unloaded from the Nebari transport. It was the one demand she had made before accepting Nerri's offer. His Module was a piece of primitive dren that should have been scrapped cycles ago, but she couldn't allow it to be. She wanted to have something of his, a last token of what had been.

When it was stored off to the side, and out of harm's way, she walked over and started to look it over. There were no new scratches or scrapes as far as her critical eye could discern. Reverently, she traced a single finger over the edges of the hatch. If one over looked the fact that it had new parts on it, they would think it antique.

She smiled at the lettering on the side, IASA, it meant something to him. From now on, it would mean something to her, a reminder of what once was, and what could be. Nerri had smiled painfully at it as she refused to leave it behind. But it was here now, and so was she.

Dozens of other Nebari swarmed over the large landing bay. Watching them, she realized this was not just another transport. There were thirty-five attack ships in various degrees of repair. It struck her, this was a real war ship. She was finally going to be in a position to help her people.

A few microts later a team of five Nebari came up to her module. Two started to scan it with hand devices, one marked on an electronic clip board with a writing tool, and the other two set out large kits from the deck plating. Nothing was said between them as they continued their scans and work.

When one of them pushed Chiana out of the way so he could continue his scans, her curiosity finally won out. "What are you doing?"

The one with the electronic clip board answered as she continued her work. "We are assessing this craft's capabilities and uses."

Walking to the woman, Chiana tilted her head in confusion. "Uses?"

"We are at war, all vessels space capable are to be modified for combat service. This ship is primitively designed, but sturdy. Damage to hull can be repaired and refitted with battle armor. Communications, Leviathan in origin, add standard communicator package. Weapons, none, defenses, none. Design can hold personal shielding, and standard fighter energy cannons. Modify the thrusters with a Parallel starjump system and install crystalline control power source." Looking up from the Clip board, she handed Chiana a data crystal. "Congratulations, though primitive, with a few modifications, your ship will pass inspection for battle status."

Taking the chip in shock, Chiana could only nod. This was not what she had been expecting. Still in shock, she jumped when one of the technicians pulled her back further from the module.

"Get out of the way unless you want to be bonded with your craft permanently." When she was out of his way, he went back to a large console that was still rising from the deck plating.

A few hand gestures over the uniformed crystals and the console started to vibrate. The whisper of flesh touching wet glass was heard as two arms came down from the ceiling. Clamps on the ends spread apart to form a C-shaped head that sprayed a white substance over the hull of the module in tune with the tech's movements.

Chiana watched in rapt fascination as the paint and the ceramic tiles melted and dripped off the metal body of the module. When the process was complete, the deck absorbed the liquid melt. Next came the first two techs, they removed the data crystals from their scanners, and placed them in the console. They nodded to the other two techs, and Chiana before leaving.

Before her, the arms a stack of smoky gray metal rose from the deck. The arms reformed into three part claws with a metal cutting laser arm added from the ceiling. Piece by piece, the metal was shaped and fitted to the module, attached by adhesive that melted and merged the metals. As the last pieces were secured to the ship, Chiana felt something was missing until the next move. A fourth arm came form the ceiling and burned a design on both sides of the module before coloring in the IASA logo. Added to it were Nebari Characters identifying the ship as a Resistance controlled fighter.

The final tech, up to this point, merely watching, touched a part of the console. A shield rose up from the floor, surrounding them and the module. Chiana started to step across the barrier, but the tech stopped her.

"We are attaching the weapons, power source, and drive. You are only in the way, come back when we are finished, then you can inspect your ship." As he finished, the barrier rose to the ceiling.

Finally it hit her, they had hijacked and were altering her module. In anger she started to pound on the barrier. "Let me in, that isn't..."

"What is going on here?"

Chiana whirled on the owner of the authoritive voice. Her body tensing for a fight. "What, is going on here, is those guys are butchering my ship!"

He stood as tall as she, but had was three times her size in muscles. When he held out a hand, she looked at it in confusion. "Data Crystal."

"Oh, you mean this?" She held up the crystal the previous tech had given her.

Unamused, he snatched it from her hand and placed it in his board. Glaring dark eyes narrowed as he looked down to his clip board. He pressed a few symbols on the shifting surface. "It says that your ship has been commandeered for the war effort. You are the pilot and owner, thus are also commandeered. This is for our future, and your people thank you. Now what is the problem?"

"When you put it that way..." She sidled up to him, and leaned in to his face. "What the frell are you doing to my module," she screamed in his ear.

"Adapting it to be used in the war!"

"What war?"

He sighed deeply while rolling his eyes. "Where have you been the past four monens? The Establishment's plan has finally come to fruition. Many races have already started to fall, but most of them have grouped together to fight. We have decided to take advantage of this and enact our own plan. The resistance needs all the resources we can get, attack ships are in short supply, and fighters even rarer. In fact, we are on the way to the front lines as we speak. Is there anything else that you need?"

Before she could speak, the ship rocked, lights flickering as a mumbling started among the crew.

He whirled on them in growling. "Keep working! We need those fighters!" He turned back to Chiana as another blast rocked the ship. "Look, get to the squad deck, two tiers up, lift is at the end of this bay behind you. Ask for Soren and Helie, they will be your squad leader and wing commander respectively. Look sharp, and follow their orders, I have to go... Chiana of South Walivan Province," he said looking at the clip board for her name. When he said it, he went a dark blue and thrust her crystal back at her. Looking in her eyes, his seemed moist. "I'm sorry." Then he was gone.

When the ship rocked again, Chiana finally moved from her frozen position and looked around to the point he had said. Sure enough, there was an exit at the end of the docking bay. One last look at the barrier, and she walked down the deck to the lift. Large square doors blocked the entrance as she drew near. Something about their design struck Chiana as familiar. They were uniformly done, with a small control panel on the wall the size of her index finger. At the center of the control panel was a hole.

She checked for another control, but kept coming back to the hole. With a shrug, she let natural instinct take over and pushed her finger in the hole. The size was small enough for the tip and part of the middle section, but no further. Chiana pulled back her hand and visually measured the length. "The crystal, right." After a moment of fumbling with the crystal, she placed it in the slot. To her amusement the doors slid open as a voice welcomed her by name.

Walking in the lift, pulled out the crystal, and let the doors close behind her. When they were shut, the lift started up, and a microt later they opened upon chaos. Nebari were running in every direction at once as they scrambled for their posts inside the landing bay sized black, white, and
blue room. Chiana could barely make out the orders being given by battle commanders.

She barely made it out of the way of a group of six Nebari climbing in the lift as she exited. Things were moving almost as fast as they had when Crais had detonated Talyn's starburst drive in the Command Carrier. Only this was more orderly, then again what do you expect from Peace Keepers? This was fascinating to watch, but she wanted in on the action, but first she had to know what was going on.

Her chance came when one of the Nebari barking orders noticed her. "What are you doing here? How did she get on this deck? Someone get this child off my deck!"

"Child!" Chiana threw herself into the crowd, marching up to the female that had spoken. "I am not a child! Now how about you tell me what the frell is goin on here, and I will see what I can do to help."

"You can help by staying out of the way!"

"Not a chance! Where is the action?" When the woman looked ready to make Chiana hit the deck, she twisted out of the way and grabbed her arm. Bending it back, she pushed the woman face first in to the deck. "Don't make me get angry, you won't like me when I am angry." In the next instant, her feet were swept out from under her, and the Nebari had her foot on her neck.

"You're careless, never show mercy!"

"I'll keep that in mind, you Helie?"

"Indent. Crystal." Helie put out a hand to Chiana, taking the offered crystal. "Chiana, pilot, owner, runner. Why do I always get the frelling Relnics?"

Chiana kicked Helie in the small of her back, and twisted the foot that was on her throat. "I didn't come up here to join your squad. I wanted to find my brother and know what the frell was going on."

Helie stood from the floor, eyeing Chiana wearily. "Who is your brother?"

"Nerri."

"The Squad leader?"

"How the frell should I know, I just got here." After another look from Helie, she sighed and shifted her weight. "Fine, all I know is that I am here because I am to join with him and the resistance. Some greebhols started cutting my module apart, saying it was for the war effort, and I was suddenly drafted as a Pilot. Now will you tell me?"

"Great, a purple blood." Helie started off toward a collection of consoles in the center of the large barracks style deck. "How much do you know about the Establishment's plans?"

"Virus, infect population through rogue Nebari, virus takes hold, they move in and take control of entire empires."

"Good, then I don't need to explain that. The plan worked too well, most infected races are under their control already. It started earlier than they had planned, and that was only the beginning of their problems. There is a massive war going on in the Uncharted Territories. Seems the Peace Keepers and the Scarrans are finally through dancing around each other, another race is inciting wars on the farside of their empires, the supposedly benine races are forming a coalition against all four of these, and all want this one called, John Crichton.

"The Establishment learned of him from an operative on a world where they were hunting runners. Before they could capture him, his friends stole him away to a medical planet. Before they could follow, a full Peace Keeper Vanguard including a Command Carrier came on the scene. Their operatives chased the runners believing them to be in league with the Peace Keepers and this John Crichton.

"That should have been the end of it, but one of the operatives had heard from a local that John Crichton knew of worm holes, something they had been hearing about for cycles. So they followed the runners and Peace Keepers when they chased after Crichton. This lead to a medical planet when they arrived, the medical complex was destroyed, and a Peace Keeper ship leaving
their scanners' limits. The Runners had not gone with them, so they continued on after them.

"Again, this should have been the end of the story, an entire retrieval squad after one El-r class transport, it was a massacre waiting to happen. Just as they came in docking range, a worm hole opened up beneath them and sucked them out of known space. They are presumed casualties of a new worm hole weapon the Peace Keepers are bragging of having. The Establishment believes the Peace Keepers gave this weapon to the runners to use on them, and they being the bumbling trelks they were, misused it and killed themselves along with their operatives.

"This same event was monitored by the Scarrans and scared the Hezmana out of them. They immediately declared war on the Peace Keepers and us. The Peace Keepers retaliated by doing the same with the Scarrans and the Establishment. The Establishment being the level headed people they are, declared all non conformists terminated. Their death squads are out systematically destroying all that which has stood against them. Scarrans, Peace Keepers, resistance, it doesn't matter, all are to be assimilated or killed. This forth race has put the fear of the Divine in the Peace Keepers and Scarrans as they strike with-out warning, only to vanish after their goal is destroyed.

"We were on our way to meet with the UT & Star Alliance formed by a few of the races that can resist the Establishment. That was when something hit us." Helie slammed the black console with her gloved fist. "Trat, this thing says there is an armada of Peace Keeper designed war ships surrounding us. We are not ready for this!" She faced Chiana. "Looks like you are going to get that action you wanted."

This made her cheer up from the grim news as she cocked her head a little. "I am always up to kick PK butt!"

Helie frowned at her. "Where did you learn to speak like that and those words?"

"That same John Crichton everybody seems to want."

Helie froze. "You mean this.... Hewl-bun is real? Like a Sebacean but not?"

"Human, and yeah, I mean, he was the last time I saw him. Probably dead now." She looked away, frowned then forced a smile on her face. "So are we going to sit here and chit chat, or go out and show these Peace Keepers that we mean business?"

Helie hesitated, she knew this was important, but when the ship rocked again, there was no more time. "That ship, was it his?"

"Was."

"Good, cause if even half of what the Establishment has got on him is true, then we will need all the luck we can get. These Carriers aren't like anything we have ever seen!" She turned from the console and Chiana to grab a passing Male. "Get her a flight suit, now!"

He took one look at Chiana, up then down, and nodded. "Think Telvis has an extra her size."

"Go then! We don't have time for friendly." She looked back at Chiana. "Your ship should be ready by now. Get back to it after you suit up. You are on my starboard side, stick close and stay out of my blast range!" When the male came back, she tossed the black suit and helmet to Chiana. "Suit up and go back the way you came! When this battle is over, we have a lot things to
talk about!"

"Yes, sir!" Chiana smirked at the annoyed Helie, but started to put on the suit. This is what she wanted, something to take her mind off of the past. To get rid of the ghosts is her mission statement, and if the Peace Keepers happen to be the unlucky individuals to distract her, too bad.

***

War Minister Akhna of the Scarran Higherarchy watched in rapt fascination as the recording played out for the tenth time. The quick surgical strikes of the aliens on the Scarran forces left nothing to be desired and all to be admired. She was jealous of their precision, what Scarran wouldn't be? But she had yet to learn their ways. Each attack was different from the last.

This one had six of their sphere shaped battle cruisers placed around a research moon, they fired enough cover fire to scorch the surface dozens of times. All of this was to prevent ground based defenses from locking on the hulking planet killer. It was set up in three stages, the end or top was
half a sphere, connected to the cylinder shaped body, a third of the way down, there was a smaller half sphere skirt with six cannons on the flat side. At the second third was an even smaller half sphere that ended with three arms that reached out toward the end, facing in.

When the planet killer was in position over their base, the six cannons fired a continuous stream. The center shaft below the third sphere half lit up as energy coursed beneath its covering. Each of the three arms lit up slowly as the ship rotated to keep orbit.

Evidently a sign that it took all the ship's primary energy to fire the weapon, she noted. And what a magnificent weapon it was.

The center glowed a bright blue as it was joined by the white energy of the three arms. Suddenly a shaft of energy shot from the center, closely followed by three pulses of energy along it. The first pulse crushed the base, the second blasted it towards the core, and the third sent an
explosion through the entire moon. Three hundred microts later the satellite drifted apart in large chunks, the center already dark and cold.

It defied all logic, and her weapons experts couldn't come up with one single micron of evidence to prove it wasn't already a debris field before this little demonstration. For all intents, and given time, the planet was going to have its own natural rings.

When she had seen it the first time, she had clapped for the evidently false creation. After the second viewing and three attempts of contacting the base in question, she had killed the messenger with her bare claws. All evidence that their enemies possessed this kind of technology was suppressed. But the damnedable new Alliance had blasted all comm channels with it. Before a council meeting of the Imperial line could commence, five more satellites and planets were destroyed on their borders. One in the center of their empire while the council was in session.

They had demanded answers no one had, not even their Peace Keeper spies. There was no evidence these aliens existed, they were that thorough in their cover up. She was facing execution for incompetence and no reprieve if she could not come up with a solution.

At first her instincts told her to look for a pattern in the attacks, but they all centered on the Border in the Uncharted Territories. That was not enough because that was almost all of the space beyond their domain. No one knew what laid beyond their controlled space, but it had found them and was randomly killing everything it touched.

No true warrior could watch this and not be held in awe as they moved as one. Their ships came in many designs, but fleets were always in the same configuration. Six spheres for each planet killer, twenty bug shaped fighters for every mother ship, and two cylinder shaped sky jammers that deployed a net like substance around planets that blocked off signals from it. When they disappeared to wherever they went, the planet's surface was completely barren.

Akhna smiled at the recording of one such event.

All her spies, all her tech, all her power, all of it, useless. These aliens were going to wipe them out, and there was nothing they could do. No one knew why, no one cared. It didn't matter to her.

At least that is what they thought.

She knew why, she cared. There was something that had been coming for generations. Her father knew, as had his father, and all before him. Shortly before he died at the hands of the current Emperor, he had told her.

And that secret was going to see her through to the end. For she was prepared to pay the price necessary for survival. She knew what it would take, and nothing less that it would appease those asking. All she had need do was wait. They would come to her and she would be ready.

****

The ground beneath her feet resounded differently than when she had walked through the corridor before. Also, she didn't remember any of the markings on the wall. One inparticular captured her fascination. It was the same symbol as was on the tile Crichton had given her. She couldn't help it, the excitement was making her giddy. A new room, some place she had never been before, probably no one had ever been.

As she continued along the shaft, the heat became almost palpable. Almost no moisture in the air, and there was a mildew smell coming from the way she was going. This place had long sense been abandoned, but there was no dust. No growths either. In fact, their was sand everywhere, and not like that found on Arnesk.

A sinking feeling started in her stomach. This wasn't Arnesk!

Slowly, she made her way down the shaft using the hand rails provided. Her light tucked safely in her belt, and the scroll clutched in her left hand. There were still many characters that matched the scroll. Following the clues, she was led through another shaft, and a crawl space into an artificially lit chamber.

Larger than any room she had been in since Moya, there was a sense of great importance. There was also something missing. This place felt as empty as the ruins on Arnesk, with a touch recent visitation. The walls were almost completely bare, time having eroded what was left of the markings. Looking around, she could find nothing that allowed her to continue on her way. May be she had made a wrong turn.

Coming about back to the entrance, she screeched when a Sebacean pointed a weapon at her. Jool froze in place as the man came closer, his light shining in her eyes.

"What are you doing in here?"

"I was walking down some tunnels and got lost. Can you tell me where I am?"

His face scrunched up, mustache twitching slightly. "Say that again, only slower."

She sighed as she started walking to him. "I said I got... Is that weapon really necessary? You don't look Peace Keeper."

"Peace Keeper? Are you from a desert tribe?"

"Do I look like I am from some desert Tralz?"

"I am sorry, I still can't completely understand you." His face was a mixture of awe as she came closer into the light. "And you look like no one I have ever seen before. Are you one of the Goddesses?"

This stopped her. "What Goddesses?"

Falling to his knees, he pulled out a chain from his shirt, a symbol on the end of it. He bowed his forehead, holding the cross shaped icon up. "You must forgive me, my Goddess, it has been so long since any of us have seen your kind, many do not believe, but my family has remained faithful."

"Wait just a microt, I'm not your's or anyone else's goddess."

He prostrated himself before her, arms spread wide. "Forgive me, it was but a saying. I know your grace belongs to no one but your own. I meant no disrespect, Great lady."

With a sigh, she knelt in front of him, taking his small pendant. She tried in vain for to get him to look at her. "Listen to me. I am not a Goddess." When he kept avoiding her face, she gave up, and stood. "Fine, remain as you are, just answer my questions."

"Anything."

"Where in all of Hokon am I?"

"The great pyramid of Gieza, oh wise and benevolent lady."

Taping her finger to her side, Jool walked over to the wall where the only remains of the paintings remained. "What is this pyramid, exactly, and why does it sound familiar?"

"The tomb of the great Pharaoh. Long ago his remains were desecrated by his enemies, this stone monument is all that remains of his once greatness. It is believed his Ka passed over to the land of the dead to reside in the house of Ra."

"Right, tomb, burial place, pyramid, this all sounds familiar, and it is all coming back to me. We are on a planet called Earth, correct? Crichton mentioned this planet of his birth."

Remaining prostrate, he tried to nod. "Yes, great Goddess."

"Frelling great! How did I cross the Uncharted Territories to become trapped on this back water world?" She paced around the chamber for a bit, waving her hands in frustration. "Something had to have happened in that blasted chamber. Those damned priests had something to do with this. When I get my hands on them..." His startled yelp caused her to growl in anger. "What is it now? Your patheticness is trying my patience."

"Forgive me, my lady. I am just in fear that you mean to harm all of your priests, I am merely a lowly supplicant, but still a priest."

With a barely suppressed growl, she ignored his whimpering, and pleading as she crawled back through the small entrance. This time she recognized the disorientation for what it was, and cursed herself for being so stupid. When she exited the crawl space into another poorly lit room, she nearly fainted from the shock.

Back in the tomb of the Pharaoh, the supplicant priest slowly looked up from his position on the floor. "Goddess?"

"Mohiem, what is it you said?"

The priest sat back and looked at the younger man as he came in, flashlight scanning the chamber. "She was here."

"Who?"

"Our beloved Goddess!"

The younger man paled. "Do not fool me, was she here?"

"I lie to you not. She was here, her clothes of black night, and hair of red Ra's Glory. Eyes of Jade that made me ache for the days we have yet seen. Her temperament is equal to that of her beloved and sacred animal, the Lion."

"You sound as the Temple walls."

"But it was true, she took my Ankh."

He looked at Mohiem in speculation. "And where she now?"

"She spoke of other worlds, I believe she has returned to strangle her priests. She said it was they that were responsible for her coming and promised retribution on them for it."

"Did she leave something, a relic or holy object to show her favor of us?"

Mohiem smiled. "She has shown her favor, and her graceful blessing of us. She left this." He held up a small device. "It appears to be some form of adornment. Surely only those who had her favor would earn something so important."

The young man gasped as he looked at the rectangular shaped golden edged red broach. "It is as nothing I have ever seen outside the borders of our rugs. There is no scene of her greatness, what else could it be?"

Mohiem touched the center. "May be it is..."

"Pah tume hath? Vei dite ort!"

Both men jumped back as the broach fell to the ground. Neither dared approach it as it started to growl and repeat the phrases. After a moment, it was silent and Mohiem started near it. "Great Goddess of Divine Mercy. She has granted us a greater gift then we had hoped!"

"What is it uncle?"

Tentavily picking it up and sealing it in a leather pouch on his hip, Mohiem smiled. "It appears to be the Ka of one of her vanquished. This is quite a treasure, we must remand it to the custody of our great uncle. He will have knowledge of what else this may signify for us." Mohiem led his nephew toward the entrance of the tomb. "Now, however, we must make sure the Great Pyramid is open to desecration by those vile tourists!"

****

All was still. No, that was not right, the air still moved so the dust would not settle. It was a feeling, nothing more. The ship still lived, and he had Pilot, but nothing else.

Ka D'Argo sat in the central chamber, thinking, and remembering.

When he had started out on this wild journey, there were only three others, four if Moya and Pilot counted separately. It was a simple goal, but one hell of a gambit if he attempted to pull it off.

Freedom.

After eight cycles in Peace Keeper prison cells and ships and mines, he was ready to be free. Or so he thought.

In his mind all there was, was the goal. If they had ever achieved it, something he scarcely dreamed of, yet alone planned for. No one knew exactly what they would do when they got out. They had hopes, that one day to be reunited with their loved ones, and right past wrongs. But none were prepared for the actual event if it did happen.

Then it had.

Rygel had gotten the codes, bribed the guards, freed them from their cells. In all the excitement, he had forgotten about the after. Before it could settle on him that he was free, that he had no idea what to do, a strange creature had come into their lives. A being that had some how made their dreams seem real in comparison as to his arrival. Because when he came through the event horizon, anything suddenly became possible. With his blind enthusiasm to guide them, why not?

But reality came back, as it always did.

This being was more than a handful, for all the brilliance of his ignorance and simple intelligence, he was also a high maintenance trouble magnet. He forgot his pain in the glare of his friends'. When he started to remember his, another distraction came along. Their refugee ship grew into a family before any of them knew it.

The frelling Human from Erp had an annoying way of doing that with people he just met.

For a while, things went their normal, weird, way. Then the Human got in trouble, Moya had a baby, and they gained a new ally in an old enemy while making an even worse one. That was also another annoying habit of the human's. Things got interesting after that, and he forgot about his son, for a while. Then the Human learned he was not only to be married, but had a child on the way.

Reality came back with her big ugly brothers.

The Human was forced to give up his offspring, and they bonded over their mutual pain. He learned his son had spent the previous ten cycles as a slave in a mine. Along with his new found knowledge that his son was alive, he lost his friend. Nearly losing him, and two others in the process, his mind was on settling down as fast as possible before anymore pain could come.

This is what Reality was waiting for.

In a matter of a monen he lost a friend, had another crippled for life, got one back, his lover was no longer that, his son was a bitter rival for her affections, he then left, and then he lost another friend. If not for the human, none of this would have happened, then again, none of them would have survived this long. So he did not know what to think of him.

The uncertainty of it all caused him much mental stress, his friend's pining over a woman that would never be his when he lost his own, sent him over the edge. He had killed his best friend, and gained a new lover in the same day.

She was now gone, as all things he loved tended to be.

His other friends either ended by betraying him, dying, or leaving, or all three. A monen ago, he had said good bye to his former lover, and today he had said good bye to the last.

There were no bitter tears, no long farewells. It was not their way. He stood and watched, as he always does. Suffer in silence, never show them your tears, that is the way of the warrior. But this time it was different. For starters, they had no longer been friends when he left. It took him a
while, but he figured it was the plan of the diminutive Hynerian, a way of not having to say good bye. So he didn't. Second of all, he knew this would not be the last time he saw the Hynerian, he did not question how, it would be revealed only if it chose to be. And last of all, he was all alone. There were no others this time. No one to console him in his grief or to make him laugh from his pain.

So here he sits.

Alone in his days, there is hardly anything to do. Moya can take care of herself for the most part. What little he is required, he does with a mindless ease born of long practice. He still searches for 'he that had opened his eyes to the possibilities of the universe'. His last friend.

He heard on the last commerce planet that there was a war brewing. Once that would have caused more of a reaction, now he simply took it as a given. As if the merchant had told him he was breathing. The warriors called this a state of shock, that he had yet to deal with the trauma of a severe blow. He never would, not until he found his friend.

There was a new goal, something to long for in his darkest of moments, those times when death comes courting and the offered embrace seems too tempting. He had something to long for, what he would do when he got it, he had ideas, but nothing solid. He just knew that he wanted his friend back, and when he got him, they would go from there.

D'Argo sighed slowly and deeply. What if Rygel had been right? What if John really was dead? Would it matter? Probably not. He had already been enriched by the human enough to know that life always goes on, you get over it, no matter how much it hurt at the time. Resilience in the face of adversity, something the Human had become good at, and another annoying habit.

He would have to follow Crichton's example. Keep looking for that thing, that moment when life would once again have a meaning, a purpose. For the time, it would be the search for his friend, and help when needed along the way. It felt right to help others, he had done it long ago, and until the human... John, he had forgotten what it felt like. Now he could not remember a time when he did not know it.

Shifting to get up, he felt a little bitter. This remorse helped no one, and served only to make him feel worse. Better to find a minor problem that needed fixing and deal with it than think on useless things any more.

As he stood to go, the noise stopped. Everything, the noise of the world, from the light to the shadows, all stopped. He turned around, and passed through to the center of the table. Then he growled aloud a warning. "What kind of game are you playing?"

"Who?"

In shock that quickly turned to anger, D'Argo turned on the owner of the voice. "You!"

"What about me? Surely you do not think I did this?" She snorted as she walked towards him. "Typical Luxan response, misdirected anger, strike out at the nearest target available."

"You had better have good reason to be here, old woman, or I will kill you where you stand. In fact, I should do it anyways."

Noranti smiled at him, as if to humor a dumb beast. "Do your worst, you can no longer touch me. I am with the Divine now."

"You are dead?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes. But then again, life is but a certain perception of one reality."

"Enough riddles! Where is John and Chiana's child?"

Noranti shrugged as she looked up towards the ceiling. "With the Divine, I would guess. I do not know, only do as I am told."

"What does that mean?" He turned to follow as she walked around his back.

"I fear if you are truly this stupid, my coming here may have been in vane." Shifting her robes, she pulled out a leather pouch. "I am the servant of the Divine. I only do as he instructs me."

"He told you to take their child? Why?"

She stopped sorting through the herb bag. "I am not his master, nor am I your prisoner to interrogate. I came here for a purpose."

D'Argo folded his arms to prevent himself from strangling her. "Oh yeah, what is that?"

"To offer you a purpose, a reason for being." She looked him square in the eyes. "Something to make up for all your mistakes of the past. Those both committed intentionally, and unintentionally."

"You, the bitch of a child stealing hezmot, offer me redemption, oh that is rich. I must have fallen and hit my head on the way down. This can only be Hezmana if you are here."

She stomped up to him in anger. "This is no joke! I am serious! Something has happened and I can no longer fulfill my original purpose! It is up to you, if you are willing to continue on in my stead."

"What could possibly be so important."

"There is no time!" She stepped back and looked away. "Something's have gone horribly wrong and I can no longer be there. I have a new task, one of great importance, but only if I can find a replacement."

"So you chose me?"

"No, I chose Moya. But you are her captain, and the Divine recognizes your right to choose not to come along. We need someone who can both be protector, yet be able to protect in the places the other can't go. She provides the environment, but you must be there to fix that which she and Pilot can not. Needless to say, you are needed. This all rests upon whether you accept."

"Accept what?"

"There is no time. All I can say it is important, and the fate of the Galaxy may depend on it."

"You are lying, nothing is that important."

This time, when she stepped up to him, she grabbed his Tinkas and twisted hard. "Listen to me, you charroot Luxan. There are more than just those beings that are bound to your reality. The Divine has sent me here at great cost to himself and the longer I remain, the harder it is for him to
maintain. Now do you accept or not?"

Cringing under her assault, he tried to fight back, but his sensitive organs were being ground under her hands like small tubers. After a moment's hesitation, he thought back on what had happened this day. Something was going to give, and he was tired of his old life. All of a sudden, death didn't seem like such a bad thing. Closing his eyes as he let the tears come, he nodded once.

Noranti pulled back and released him with a satisfied grunt. "Good, then let it be done."

A brilliance lit up the center of Moya as the world around them resumed. For microts all D'Argo felt was the warmth and peace of the orange-yellow light. It had a familiar, soothing presence he recognized. Something he had bore witness to before.

"Yes, Ka D'Argo, it is I."

"But..."

"Now is not the time. You have agreed and Noranti will now take your place. For now, there is someone who wishes to see you very much. She has heard many great things about you."

D'Argo was about to ask who, when the laughs reached his ears. This too was familiar as he bent down, still in the blinding warm light, he picked her up and swung her around. It was then he knew things would be all right. He could lay down his burden of life, and it would be all right. Then the light grew in intensity and blinded all else out.

With the sound of rushing water on a beach, Noranti came to herself as she stood from the chair. Central chamber. She recognized it from her memories. It was a success, they had switched places, and she could go on to her task with no fear. As she started to leave the room she heard the giggling of a little girl, and smiled.

After a moment's pause, she headed down the tiers towards Eliss' Pilot's den. They had much to do, and she could only pray to the Divine it was enough, and not too late.

 

Part 3 - B

"Oh it's six long weeks or better
Since Johnny left the shore
He's crossing the wild ocean
Where the foam and the billows roar.

He's crossing the wild ocean
For honour and for fame.
But this I've heard, the ship was wrecked
All on the coast of Spain."

Oh it's when she heard this dreadful news
She flew into dispair.
By the wringing of her milk white hands
And the tearing of her hair.

Saying "If Johnny he be drowned
No man on earth I'll take."

"Banks of Claudy." by Loreena McKennitt.


The shuttle bay was silent as the first group of Nebari was ushered out of the transport shuttle. Men and women watched shock as they started to flip them off while being hustled down the ramp towards the awaiting troop transport. Their armed guards hitting them with the butts of their riffles as they started to get rowdy.

Jack Crichton watched in amused awe as a smaller white haired one, obviously female by the way flashed her breast as she moved, cussed out one of the guards. Of all the things for the first Aliens to ever see Earth to learn of their language, this was not the so called xenobiologists wanted to hear.

Still, it was refreshing to learn that Humans weren't the only species with riffraff. Even with the way they moved and continued to be defiant, he was almost sure they were merely disgruntled Human youths. They would learn more from the physicals they gave them, 'probably that even aliens know how to kick a pervert in the nuts.'

His laugh made the other men in the room look at him in concern. Shaking his head at them, Jack pointed towards the girl. "She reminds me of my youngest. Spit and hell fire at that age. All better beware when she came around, because trouble followed." He shook his head after a another thought. "She was not the only one, John had his fair share as well."

A few throats cleared in the uncomfortable silence the followed. They were still painfully aware of the loss, and the setback in the program it caused. After a few more moments of the awkwardness, Jack turned around, still composed.

"Why exactly have you brought me here, gentlemen?" Hands folded behind his back, he gripped them tight in the leather gloves. "Unless there is something I am uniquely qualified for, which I have no idea about, then what is the summons for?"

A young major in gold trimmed dark blue air force uniform stood up and scratched his chin. "Uh, sir, with all due respect to your condition..."

"It is not just my condition, seventy-nine percent of the planet is suffering from the effects of the unknown plague. Besides, I don't give a damn about my condition, I'm not dead, and I sure in hell am not contagious." Absentmindly he ran a hand along his red cheek. "We all know what it is, who is to blame, and how much they suffered because of it. Now just get on to why I am here."

"Yes, sir." He started towards jack, a folder in his hands. "As you know, the aliens were picked up and placed in quarantine nineteen days ago. What you don't know is that we had some of their belongings sent down for study. Among the things sent was this." He pulled out a plastic baggie from the folder, a metal puzzle necklace inside on a chain. "This was found in the pocket of an old IASA flight suit worn by one of the Aliens."

Jack stared at the necklace in horror and shock. Slowly, he reached out a hand to take the packet. He didn't respond as the Major let the baggie fall into his gloved hand, while jerking his own back in fear. Tears welled up in his green eyes as he looked down at the puzzle. "Where did he get this?"

"I am sorry, sir, but we know nothing about the alien. He has been in a coma the entire stay of quarantine, it is believed he will not survive much past the journey to the planet." The Major discreetly hid his revulsion as Jack gripped his arm.

"I want to see him, now!"

"That is not possible, Jack, we are having them transferred to a facility in Groom Lake to keep them away from those infected with contagion. Who knows what effect it would have on their immune system. That is why they are being unloaded in the air tight landing bay of the Bertha and Gladys."

Jack glared at the general. "Aeral, you have to let me see him. It could be..."

"No, it isn't. Look now, they are bringing him out."

As Aeral pointed, Jack turned around to face the cargo hold of the new shuttle. His hopes plummeted when he saw the male alien being carried out on a stretcher, as he watched, his ire rose. "What in hell is going on? Where are the doctors, I thought we were supposed to be Human beings!"

"They have done all they can, he is just too alien. We have no idea what has happened to him, all we can do is hope that what ever is killing him, didn't spread to the rest."

"What do you mean?" Jack faced him, anger cause his eyes to glow slightly.

"We made an error in judgment. They were all placed in the same transport bay to be sent down in the same shuttle. Unfortunately no one remembered to place him in an iso container and now they are all infected if it is indeed a virus." Aeral rubbed a hand over his thinning hair. "In fact, the entire crew of both station, transports, shuttles, and ground facility are in quarantine as well."

"What in hell has this program been doing? I thought we gave up training chimps and putting them in space back in the sixties!"

"Now hold on, Jack, they are the best we got..."

"Hardly! Most of them have lived in isolations rooms since before the plague hit. Uninfected does not mean intelligent!" He let his eyes fall on the squirming major. "Get that rat out of my presence. As of now, I am taking over this project. I am sick of this incompetence!"

"Now wait just a minute..."

Jack turned burning bright green irises on the young major. "Get out!"

When the Major looked at him, Aeral nodded. "That is another reason why we brought him here. You can go squirm under another rock, Herak." He looked haggard as he plopped back in his leather chair. "I am sorry about that, the Omega Gens are always the hardest to deal with."

"So it is true?" Jack watched his old friend carefully nod his head.

"Yes, all sterile." From beneath heavy brows, he looked at Jack. "Yours are the future of our species, I'm afraid. When it becomes public knowledge there won't be a safe person on this planet, and one of our two peoples will die."

The green glow died from Jack's eyes as he too slumped in a chair. "I'm sorry. What about your grand daughter?"

"She's a Martian."

Jack frowned at the term. "You want me to take over this project, why?"

"As I stated, we are dying." He pulled out a cigarette and lit up. "Doesn't matter what we do now. Ours is the last generation of Humans with the smarts behind all our tech. You were right about them being chimps up there. Or at least about them being as smart as one. Their isolation has preserved them from the plague, but it is only a matter of time. We need you to control the project. What is left of the norms won't trust anyone but you when we are gone.

"They will believe it a trick by the Martians if anyone but you takes control. We have been singing your praises like a bird house at the Zoo, so the isolationists will think you are the second coming. What we need now is to brief you on all that has been going on because you, my old friend, are going to be the new leader of the world in less than six months."

"What in hell are you going on about?"

Aeral sighed deeply. "What part of we are dying don't you understand?" He gestured towards the other five men at the table, each in the middle of smoking or drinking. "Our wives are already dead or are Martians. The docs gave us six months before we die too. All of us who were not exposed to the first wave of germs but the later ones had no immunity. Who ever created this damn thing, and let it loose was thinking of killing all our political and financial leaders. Anyone rich enough, or important enough to be in their isoshelters at the time the plague hit will be dead in a matter of months."

Taking a hit, and blowing out the smoke, he sighed. "With your recent status in the Scientific fields, and being the father of America's tragic sweet heart, you are the most influential Martian on Earth. Our planet's future will be looking for a new leader, and you are perfect for the position. But you will need experience, and the President has decreed that this project be just that. You see, once he dies, all presidential files are to be made public, and this is one of those briefs to be stuck out on the line to be aired out."

He laughed aloud. "He wants Earth to be ready for Aliens, and who better to usher in the era of tolerance than the man who not only looks like one, but has previous experience? And don't think that we aren't ready, that we will never be, if this plague has taught us anything, it is not to judge a book by its cover. With a good eighty percent of our planet all now the same race, and the originals dying out, prejudice will evaporate pretty quickly. Now if you handle this right, xenophobia won't take its place."

When Jack seemed still unconvinced, he sighed. "This is a golden opportunity. We won't get another chance to deal with this. These people know about other species, if nothing else, get the Intel and terminate the whole fuckin lot of them. In ten years their tech will be incorporated in our own, and we can defend our planet from possible invasion. Or you can follow Dr. Kings advice, and live in peace and brotherhood in a utopian society. Just say you will take the project."

Jack stood up and turned to watch as the last group of aliens were escorted from the shuttle, a man with them in an IASA uniform. "What is goin on with that man. I've known him all his life."

Aeral stood and looked out the window to see who he was talking about. "He was infected with some sort of alien injection. Claims he can talk with the grays, and understand them. His partner Mark Slonough agreed with him and told me that he interacted with the sick alien before he slipped into the coma. Incidentally, Slonough died three days ago of the plague. It seems the current generation of Bacterium is deadlier.

"And Slonough, having been in isolation for the past twelve months since the first strain was released, had no immunity. So when he broke quarantine to confess his partner's abilities, he sentenced himself to a painful and slow death. Before he died, he was raving about tiny alien robots, shaped like floor buffers with eye stalks. When we asked Jim about them, he refused to acknowledge us. He is now considered Alien, he is to be bunked with the rest of them. Get him to act as translator and be on the look out for these remote controlled floor buffers."

Jack almost laughed except he noticed the deadly serious look in Aeral's eyes. "Fine, I accept it, all of it. Now that I know what is at stake, I won't subject my family to it if I can."

"How are your daughters and their children?"

"Fine, all Martians, too."

"That's good to hear." Aeral slapped him on the shoulder. "I want you to know that it was nothing personal, but we had to make sure you take the whole deal when you found out about John. It was too important to just let you get your answers and walk away. And the only way we could see how to do it was by making you mad enough to enforce your authority and take over."

"The same old Aeral, manipulating the public to the very end."

Aeral inhaled from his cigarette and blew out the smoke through his nose. Holding the butt between his thumb and fore fingers, he sat back. "As you say, Agent Mulder, trust no one."

****

Only one watched as the tiny ship landed in the middle of the night. On the dark side of the third moon, Empress Novia awaited. She did not have to be there long. Braking thrusters fired and the ship landed scattering the dust on the landing pad. She struck a regal pose to cover her impatience as the engines hissed off.

In the center of the ship's belly, a platform lowered a lone figure standing on it. As the platform touched the ground, she turned to face the Empress. Bowing to the Royal as custom demanded before she started off the platform, Sikozu spread her arms. "I am unarmed."

"You are with-out artificial weapons, but you are never unarmed." Novia turned from the Kalish, and started for her own ship. "Come, you have not come all this way for nothing."

"As always, my Empress, you are most astute." Sikozu limped as she followed the Sebacean. "There is a matter of grave importance I must discuss with you."

Novia gestured towards the entrance of her transport as she awaited Sikozu to catch up. "What could be so important to risk the exposure of your people. Our agreement was to resettle the refugees on one of our agricultural worlds. Was this not enough?"

"It was more than we could have asked for. After all, there was over fifty thousand of us."

"Was?"

"The Peace Keepers."

"Damn them all to Hezmana!"

"That is not all, they have launched a strike force large enough to wipe out a Scarran armada. It is heading this way. Expect them in four days."

Novia scoffed at the Kalish's reply. "They are hardly a threat with the other races breathing down their necks."

"That is why they are so desperate for your resources." They walked down a short hall to a chamber lined with cushions. "What's more the supreme council is no longer in control of the fleets. Their attention has been divided to individual commands or have been eliminated all together."

This time she did not hide her shock. Staring with wide eyes at Sikozu, Novia grasped for words. "Who..."

"Commandant Mele-on Grayza. She has been building for a take over for a hundred cycles. The Zelbenion's loss was what drove her to this decision. She knew the Nebari were coming, it was only a matter of time. For all her cycles she has believed them the greater threat, and so far she is not wrong."

"What do you mean? The Scarrans are the worst of the three."

"Not by half. They are merely the brutalest. The Nebari and this new race are close in threat, but their Standard Host Vessels are turning out to be deadlier by far. One solar day ago this was recorded on the farthest of the old Nebari controlled systems, before they began their campaign of order." She pulled a data chip from the pocket of her red leather suit. After handing it to the Empress, she sat back and sighed with pain.

Novia ignored the distress of the Kalish as she removed a cushioned arm rest from her chair. Under it was a console which she inserted the data crystal. The chamber darkened as scene from space came into view.

Obviously a satellite in orbit of a planet, the recording device picked up the event horizon of a large ship exiting starburst. The squid shape of the Standard Host Vessel blocked the stars as it sailed between them and the satellite. Two microts later six spheres shimmered into being. One moment there was nothing there, and the next they appeared.

Watching with rapt fascination, Novia knew what was happening next. The Nebari vessel would fire on the alien ships and it would pass right through them as if they weren't there. She had seen it on the Scarran recordings as they were destroyed by the same vessels they couldn't hit. All six Sphere Ships turned as one and fired on the Nebari ship. What stunned her was when their weapons had no effect.

However she stopped breathing when the Standard Host Vessel primed the sail towers and fired a single blue beam like a cutting torch and sliced the alien Spheres Ships through their the centers. Novia covered her ears as a soul searing screech filled the chamber. She realized it was the death screams of the collective ships as it silenced when they exploded. The beam cannons of the Standard Host Vessel fired from their positions on the ring around the center shaft.

The constant bombardment from the energy cannons hit something. After fifteen hits it appeared in normal space, a Planet Killer. It had charged the weapons and was rotating, aimed at the Standard Host Vessel.

"Singularity cannons, they were using them to bring it out of the dimensional shifting it uses to hide its presence."

"Yes, Empress, but watch." After silencing her, Sikozu gestured to the Standard Host Vessel.

It was swinging around with astonishing speed. They were attempting to train their main cannon on the Planet Killer, but they would be too late. Already it was firing. The white singular beam locked on to the Standard Host Vessel and was followed by three pulses in rapid succession.

The Nebari ship didn't even rock from its trajectory with the impact.

Their ring lit up in bright blue as the central shaft glowed of the same color. Sail towers blazing a darker blue, their energy fled towards the center as the shaft fired a single pulse of continuous energy at the Planet Killer.

The Planet Killer was highlighted in the blast wave, and disintegrated in the energy stream. Once again a soul shearing scream erupted as the alien ship died. This time she did not cover her ears at the death wail.

Only one thought was in Novia's head as she watched the debris from the alien ships float toward and burn up in the planet's atmosphere. She stared in cold shock as the Nebari Standard Host Vessel went into Starburst. A moment more, then the blast field caught up the satellite and the hollow ended. "There is no hope for victory, only limiting the damage of our defeat."

*****

Finishing the zip on her new fly suit, she tugged at the shoulders to straiten it. The previous owner was a little bigger than her, but she could work around that. It wasn't like this was the first time she had worn someone else's clothes. In fact she was still wearing the boxers she took from John their last night together. That was also the last night they had spent on the dying Leviathan. She figured it was about time she started snurching from him, after all, had to keep in the habit and they had just slept together.

Things were still hectic even after eighty percent of the room's occupants had already fled down the lift to the fighter bay. Her own wing, and their support crews were all that was left in the barracks. Helie was waiting for her to join them in their briefing, so she decided it was now or never. Mounting all the charm she had learned, not much, she sauntered over to the group of four males, a female, and Helie, all Nebari. "Hey, how's it goin?"

"You're late, Chiana."

"Well excuse me, I'm not used to having to get dressed under such short notice. Now the opposite is another thing all together." Chiana smirked at the snorts, but wisely remained quiet at Helie's glare.

"Cute, keep it to yourself next time. We got a battle to fight." Helie drew herself up to her full height, a few microdench taller than Chiana. "Now listen up, we have are about to go out, untested and unprepared. There is a fleet of fifteen highly trained Peace Keeper Command Carriers and their entire regiments. A grand total of almost a million Peace Keepers."

The group shifted nervously as she continued.

"We have never faced a group this large, most of you have never faced anything worse than a cold seat for your ema. I honestly don't expect a single fighter to survive these odds. That is why we are going to go out there and prove Nebari superiority. From this moment on, your lives are for the cause, you live and you die for the safety of this ship. Remember all cowards go to the Halls of Manon, so don't fail!

"And why you may ask, is this ship so important? Well, this ship contains information and key members of the resistance, both vital to the future of our movement. At all costs, this ship must not be destroyed. If you have to, your ship's power cores, when detonated on full yield, will be strong enough to cripple the hetch drive of a Command Carrier.

"There will be six attack wings per squadron and twenty-five squads on this ship. Ours is the first attack wing of Ishtah squadron, also known as the Gray Shadow of Death. Stick close, and follow your wing commander's lead. I am your wing commander, so my word is law. Do not brake formation unless I say so. You are not experienced enough to take them in fighter to prowler attack. We will be given detailed instructions through our communications systems from flight and navigation control listen to them if you get lost, or are the last member of this wing."

Helie was silent for a moment. "If there are any questions, keep them to yourselves. I am God, my word is law. Brake any of my laws or disobey me, and I will smite you! If you happen to survive the battle, rejoin with the ship, if the ship has been lost or you get left behind, there is a trader's colony two arns from here. Good luck and may Kahleen rest your souls."

They broke apart in stunned silence as Helie led the to the lift. None of them spoke as they traveled to the fighter bay. A nervous tension spread among them as the doors opened to a nearly empty bay.

Chiana watched as they scrambled to their ships, she to her modified module. The controls were clearly marked in Standard Nebari, she noted as she strapped herself in the black craft. All John's thrusters, original and Leviathan enhanced, were gone. Replaced by blue glowing oval thrusters she associated with a Nebari Star Runner, one on top, and one under each wing.

She put on her helmet as the hatch came down and sealed her in the cockpit. Gentle blue lights came on, as the controls glowed white. A standard Nebari coloring. One of there colors, shades of gray, blue, white, or black, nothing else would do for the most paranoid species in the galaxy. She couldn't help wondering if the resistance was as mentally frelled as the Establishment in their own way. John had a saying, he had many, but this one only now made sense, unlike the multitude of other completely farbhot ones.

"When you look into the Abyss, it looks back, and once you have, you are never completely the same again, for it is now a part of you." Or some trat like that. Now it wasn't trat, but a warning. A warning that might be too late.

But she had no more time to think on it as Helie's voice came on over her cockpit speakers. "Wake up, Chiana, we are ready to launch."

"Ready when you are."

"Seal your helmet, if your ship gets a breech, it will be the only thing to save your life in the sudden depressurization."

"Right." She screwed on the constricting device, cursing mentally about it. When she was completely sealed in the suit, she activated navigation, and took hold of the helm control. The inside of the helmet fed her information about the space around the module as the bay depressurized

"Ready..." Helie's voice cracked over the comms. "And launch!" Seven ships shot out of the fighter bay into space, Helie's large bird shaped fighter in the lead. Chiana was next on her starboard side, two others behind her, and the remaining three lined up on Helie's port side, each in their own various fighters.

There first sight of the battle group brought home how close they were to leaving this plain of existence. Four of the fifteen battle ships had turned from the main group and were engaging the fighter squads. Prowlers fanned out as they acted as a vanguard to the carriers. All fired at the Nebari ships. Two were destroyed during the first salvo, but the shields of the Nebari fighters held. Then they were in range to fire.

Unlike when the prowler's fired, the Nebari weapons only took one hit to destroy a ship. The cannons on their ships fired rapid pulses that pounded the Prowlers and exploded on contact. Chiana could hear as flight command on the carrier relayed instructions on their positions. Entire wings shifted positions weaving in and out of enemy ranks in precision movements. They would fly in, out maneuver, avoid getting hit, return fire, then weave out as the Prowlers exploded.

The longer she watched them, the more confusing the patterns became. It was like watching Crichton's shell game. Find the fighter, under which turn is the fighter, fire at the fighter. Ooops, you lose, oh, and check behind you. That's right, kiss your ema good bye because while you tried to lock on one of the many targets that flitted across your screen, another group snuck up behind you.

After she started to make out the patterns, her wing got their orders from command. They were to take out the Marauders and their Prowler escort on their way to board the carrier. With a battle cry, she gripped the controls and dipped the wing of her fighter to adjust course.

"Charge weapons and shields." Helie's voice came over the comm. a moment before the Prowlers opened fire. "Rush them, all cannons blazing!"

"Yeeeehhaaaaaaaaa, yea yea yea yea yie!" Chiana surged forward in her seat. The module launched forward. Roll right, to avoid the bright red energy. Prowler in sight, lock weapons. Bright flashes lit up the horizons as weapons' fire surged around her spiraling ship. Computer beeped, enemy was in range. Chiana gripped the weapons control on the fighter steering column. Blue energy spheres shot from the tips of her wings, sixty a second. Prowlers exploded under the chaotic bursts.

"Yes!"

"Wing one, turn back, and come around, regroup and attack the Marauders."

Chiana leaned into the roll as the gravity drives surged with energy. She squealed with delight as the engines roared against the module. Blood pumping, felt like there was nothing she couldn't do. A moment to look for, and head to her wing, then they were attacking again. This time it was the Marauders themselves, the Prowlers already gone.

She squeezed the triggers again, blue pulses rapidly shot from the cannons. Watching in awe, she couldn't help but admire the destructive force of the weapons. It was kinda beautiful the way the blue hit the black ships, then the following red explosion of the atmosphere burning when the engines went. All this just before it winked out forever because of the vacuum of space. Like jugglers, she watched as the Peace Keepers tried to avoid the knife blade which could cut their hands off. All too soon, they were gone, the Command Carriers retreating.

It was then she realized, there was no avoiding it. They were going to die, all of them. There could be no mercy, if one survived, they would only go and get more. With a grim note of satisfaction, she knew she could do it. Had done it. They were the enemy, their intent to harm, it could not be allowed to happen. She had to stop them, that fleet was bound for somewhere, to harm others. This could not be allowed to continue!

Charging her weapons to full, she activated her comms. "Chiana to command."

"Command here."

"We can't let them retreat."

"We had no intention of letting them go. A Battle Fleet has been summoned and is on its way."

"Request permission to join in to pursue and destroy targets."

"Request granted. Fall back to grid nine nine five, Decca salva lenarta. Regroup with your wing. You will be joined by the battle fleet when they arrive in one arn." The controller's voice held an edge that made Chiana shiver. "We lost Squadrons Five, Eight, Thirteen, and Twenty-two. Six more have taken heavy casualties. Make the Peace Keepers pay for this!"

"I will," she whispered, "for John, I will."

"I wish you to know the joys of my people, Jim." Resoh stood close as they were being escorted to their new home. They walked through the dark corridors of the Human military base. Many armed personnel walked about them ready to fire at a moment's notice. "We have so much to offer your species."

"Yeah, I'm sure you do." Jim glanced at him from the corner of his eye. "What exactly can you offer us?"

"For starters, I would be willing to teach your people about the proper way to treat their guests." Resoh glared at the guard that shoved one of his people who was limping. "Is there nothing that you can do to at least allow us the freedom of unrestricted movement?"

"Nothing, as you can see, I am similarly bound." He held up his hands in front of him. When he did, one of the guards butted him with the rifle to the gut.

"Get moving, traitor."

"Fuck you, jar head!" This earned him another butt.

Resoh picked the offending guard up by the throat. "This man is under my protection. You harm him again, and I will remove your Mivonks, and shove them down your mardash!" He released the man with a quick kick to the nuts.

The guards froze at the words. "Did that alien just speak to us?"

"Go to hell!"

Laughing, the guards picked up there fellow and jostled the prisoners along again. "They have been listening to too many of them space rangers! Got mouths on them like whores." More laughter as they stopped at a security door. The leader moved forward, pulled out a key card, slid it down the slot, and stood back as the doors cycled open.

The large steel doors pulled back to reveal an even larger chamber beyond. A glass dome laced with steel girders and mesh capped the crater shaped chamber. At the bottom was a jungle of plants and water gardens. At the far side were a dozen doors.

"Get moving, this is probably the last place you will ever see, so you will have plenty of time to explore later." The guard captain pushed them through the double doors down a catwalk to the garden below. "Those doors lead to the living and eaten quarters. This is the common room, you will meet here, there are enough chairs in here for all you aliens and a few dozen scientists. So get comfy."

All the guards walked out the way they had come leaving the Nebari and Jim to settle in.

"Well, that was fun. They didn't even release us!" As he yelled, an electric hum erupted from above and their restraints opened. "Thanks for nothing ass holes!" Sitting down on one of the couches, Jim threw the electronic cuffs at the far end of the crater. "Damn it all to hell!"

Resoh sat beside him smiling. "I do not believe such language is necessary."

"It is and I will keep on using it as long as I want."

Gripping the Human's leg just before the knee, Resoh smiled. "You will not."

As he cried out in pain, Jim nodded. "Jeese, can't a guy get to be angry."

"Only as long as it serves the greater good."

"How nice for you, to be so goal oriented in your life." Jim cried out again as Resoh gripped him.

"That will also be unnecessary for our good." Resoh held up a hand, and all his people found places around them to sit.

"Oh, but they are trained well. Raise a hand and they come to heel." Resoh gripped him again. "God damn you, stop doing that! Ow! Son of a bitch!"

*****

"What is the meaning of this?" All went silent on the bridge of the Command Carrier as the cultured voice echoed across the expanse. "Who authorized this attack?"

A Sebacean female faced him in anger. "I was handling the situation, Commander."

"There was no situation until your unprovoked attack on the Nebari Transport."

"Sir, we are at war with the Nebari. High Command has given orders that all Nebari ships, civilian or other wise are to be boarded and searched. If they refuse, they are to be destroyed." Feeling quite smug with herself being in the right, she gave him a look that dared him to say she was wrong.

"That may be so, but it is an ignorant action when we are on a classified mission." Scorpius narrowed his eyes as she seemed ready to explode. "Especially this close to Nebari controlled space."

"I know what I am doing. After all, I have earned the rank of Full Captain, Commander." She pointed to the insignia on her collar. "I am the veteran of thirty missions Special Directorate...."

"How wonderful for you." Scorpius stalked up to her arrogant posture. "Since you are so qualified, you can command the secondary fleet that holds off the Nebari while the main fleet continues on with our mission. You will have one Command Carrier, thirty battle fighters, and an entire fleet of Prowlers. I suggest you leave now, we do not have much time." He turned to leave dismissing her with-out another word.

"What?"

Scorpius paused in his stride. "Do you have a problem with your hearing?" He looked back at her. "Or is the usual Special Directorate inferior training and mindset prevalent in you?"

The captain marched up to him. "Listen, half breed, Special Directorate is..."

"Has been abolished! Its members either exiled to the furthest reaches of our Empire or terminated for their lack of useful skills." His triumphant look made her back up a step. "The Supreme Council has sanctioned these actions, or what is left of them. It seems certain members also defied a powerful Nebari and met with a painful end for it. No ordinary Nebari Transport would be carrying that many fighters with-out a special reason. If my theory holds out, there is a battle fleet already amassing at the location of your unfortunate decision."

She paled at his words. "It can't be possible. There has to be some sort of mistake."

"There was no mistake except on your part. Now if you survive, I might consider requesting that your judges be lenient." He nodded to the guards on the bridge. "Escort her to her ship. Lieutenant Matross, you now have command. I want the entire fleet placed on battle status. All non essential personnel are to be restricted to quarters and readiness positions. I will be in special projects section." Scorpius walked off the command deck as the Peace Keepers scrabbled to comply with his orders.

Walking down the corridors he growled out his anger. Even after all this time he was still treated as the outsider. Shaking off his anger, he continued on. This was something he wanted to personally inform the Commandant of. Even if only to see her reaction to the ignorance of the person she picked to command this ship.

His feet brought him to a large doorway near the heart of the ship. On the other side were the secrets to the future of the Peace Keepers. Raising his hand, he pressed a series of large indentations on the hatch. They lit from the inside and the door began to whine as it slid open. It stopped moving with loud thud, and he walked in, the door closing behind him.

"Did you handle it?"

Scorpius heaved a sigh as his plans for pleasure were lost yet again. "She is going to hold them off until we are clear from their range."

Mele-on's only response was a slight nod of her head. Her attention was held on a replay of the battle. The dark chamber they stood in was lit only by the holographic replay of the battle.

"Did you anticipate she would be so careless with her command?"

"It was a calculated risk. She has proven her worth and value enough to have earned her rank. I am afraid that this only proves that your suspicions of Special Directorate were correct. They will all have to be terminated and their blood lines cleansed from our society. Such a waste, it was not anticipated, but all effort must be made to preserve the greater good."

"I agree, but do you not think that at least the blood lines should be saved if not the members?"

"You raise a valid point, they are a specialized branch of the species, and their blood may prove useful in the future." She waved a hand at the recording and the battle restarted. "Very well, kill off the elders, and half their younger members. Limit breeding to six a cycle."

"It will be done. Is there anything else you wish?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I believe there may be something we have missed." Another hand signal, and the setting froze in mid fight. Her hand pointed to an attack wing that decimated a group of ten marauders, their numbers not taking a single hit. "They are members of the resistance."

"How can you tell?"

"Their ships do not match up. The Establishment believes in order, and uniformity is a part of that. These ships, though armed with Nebari weapons, are not of the same classifications. Tell me," she pointed at one ship among the fleet, "what does this remind you of?"

Scorpius walked closer to the image narrowing his eyes in concentration. "I have never seen this craft before."

"Look again, remove the drives, and the weapons." The image shimmered and altered, the shape of the Module became clear in the light from the energy cannons. "Commander..."

"I will have it retrieved immediately."

"Use whatever force you deem necessary." She smiled as he nodded. "When you have the pilot in custody, kill the rest. We can not allow them to survive if there is even a chance that John Crichton might have given them worm hole knowledge."

"It shall be done as you instruct." He stared back for the entrance as the door opened for him. Pausing just in the hatchway, he cocked his head at her. "What made you decide to come all this way? When I left I was under the impression that I would be in control of this mission."

"You are, Scorpius, and shall remain that way. My presence is not to be made known to any outside yourself. I had made this clear upon my arrival."

"Yes, but you did not say why you came."

"Good bye, Commander. Remember to bring me the pilot of that ship unharmed."

Scorpius growled out in reply, but walked out.

"Who is really in that module, old woman?" Mele-on spoke when the door had sealed. "What am I risking my life for?"

"That is not important." Noranti came out from the shadows, her robe shifting in the lights of the holograms. "All I can tell you is that she must not continue with the Nebari."

Mele-on narrowed her eyes. "I can hold you and force you to talk."

"No, you won't." Noranti dissolved in a flash of light. "You can't hold what was not really there." Her disembodied voice echoed in the chamber. "You never did pay attention to what I was teaching you, selfish child. Do this one thing right, for once in your life."

"I am doing the right thing. Always have." But there was only silence, it seemed not even the universe would listen to her.

***

The light in the chamber glowed a warm orange-yellow as Jool slowly walked toward the center. It was round and nearly the size of Moya's neural nexus. At the heart there was a glowing cylinder of the light. Sitting around it were six figures in meditation on backless benches. One she recognized vaguely from her first moments after awakening on board Moya. Another she hardly had time to know before he left Moya, but he looked different. Others she did not.

As she drew near, he opened his eyes and stood. Jool paused as he turned and looked at her. "Stark?"

"It is I, Joolushka." His face was serene, voice calm.

"What is going on here? What is this place? I was following the symbols on this scroll, and it lead me here. How did I get here?" Feelings of hysteria started to overwhelm her. "What is here? Where am I?" She pointed at the blue figure. "Isn't she Zhaan? I thought she was dead. She was supposed to be dead? She is dead, why isn't she dead?" Whispering her next fears, she tried to bite back the sobs. "Am I dead? Did you help cross me over?"

Stark watched her with a patient smile. "It is all right, you have finally come. She said you would."

"Stark, what is going on here, please?"

Walking towards her, he held out his hand. "Come now, no more talking. Rest, we have time. Not much, but there is time. She said it would happen. We had almost given up hope that you would come, it has been so long."

"So long? How long have I been gone?"

"Gone?" He looked at her startled, the madness partially returning to his mind. "No, no, no, not gone, just not here. You were not here, we have been waiting, but you did not show. We need your help, but it can wait. Now that you are here, we have time."

"Damn it, Stark, you are still as mentally frelled as I last saw you." She sighed as he dragged her reluctant body around the pillar of energy to an empty bench. When she sat, her mind felt suddenly clouded with contentment.

"You must ignore that. Do not get caught up in the oneness."

Jool giggled as she slumped in her seat. A quiet lethargy filled her body and she longed to give into sleep. There was something there, a feeling of belonging. Others, there were many others, so many others. Closing her eyes, she saw it all. How everything came together, how it all fit. "An endless cycle," with alarm, her eyes shot open, "they wanted to brake the cycle!"

"Yes, they must be stopped before they do. Events set in motion long ago must play out or all is lost."

"We must stop them!"

"It is already being done. One has already been sent." Gently he laid her down on the bench as she fought to stay awake.

"Stark, what is happening to me?"

"Shh, Joolushka, rest, all will be well. When you wake up, all will be made known. So the Goddess says, so it shall be."

Jool fought to stay awake. "I don't wanna sleep. Wanna answers..." Then the lethargy became too much. She closed her eyes and gave in to sleep. In her dreams, a figure watched, and smiled.

***

He blinked back tears as the smiling face leaned over his own. "M'Lan. I... I..."

"Are you just going to lay here all day?" The Nebari shifted position and was now laying next to John, there face's almost touching. "I really don't blame you, it is such a favorable position. In fact, many the hour we spent our time like this." Tracing a hand down John's chest, he smiled. "You still feel the same, but this coloring thing is different. Did you get species envy?"

Laughing hard enough that he started to cough, John relaxed against the floor. "God, I have missed you."

"Why is that, it's not like I have been gone..." M'Lan stopped moving his hand. "Oops, sorry, forgot. Then again why am I apologizing. It's not like I died on purpose. Those things happen. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I know exactly what you mean." John looked back to the ceiling, enjoying the sensation of being able to just sit there and do nothing. This was a peaceful respite from the last things he could remember, all of which were almost too painful for memory. "How long do we have?"

"Here is not a matter of time, but of readiness. When you are, you die. You are not, my Human... eh, Nebari." Still tracing circles on John's abdomen, M'Lan sighed. "Tell me about this. How did you get to be something you weren't the last time I saw you."

"Times go on, people change."

"That is not an answer." His voice took on a tone of scolding.

John took a deep breath, and puffed up his chest in thought. Releasing it, he sat up. "What do you know about the plans of the Establishment?"

"Nothing, they want order, I didn't, they said okay, then let us go."

"There is more to it than just that. A lot more." John tried hard not to remember everything, but it was impossible. Forcing his mind to focus on the clear picture, he thought back to all he knew. "They gave you a physical before they let you go."

"Yeah, just routine examinations for the exit permits, no one would let us enter their space or on their ships if we didn't have it." M'Lan sat up next to him, his arms around his knees.

For the first time, John saw how old M'Lan really looked. He was barely older than Chiana. Another memory arose in his mind, the image of a glaring female. "Did you have any siblings?"

"Yeah, one, her name was Rhana, but she died when I was six cycles old. It is pretty much routine to have two children. The Establishment likes having nice neat uniform families, two children, one of each sex. When Rhana died, my family went rouge because the Establishment wanted them to have another girl child. My mother was pregnant with a boy, and the doctor forced her to abort it. He was mind cleansed by the Establishment, but my parents had already decided we were leaving. What does this have to do with the physical examinations?"

"Nothing, it was just another thought. You remind me of someone I saw."

"If it was back on the planet where... you know.... happened, then it was probably my cousin, M'Lila." He smiled embarrassedly. "If she knew what we were doing, we would both be de... Trat!"

"Yeah, I think she found out." He refused to look at M'Lan as he continued. "I think my friend D'Argo killed you when he found us together. He gets this insane thing goin on when I am in pain around strange aliens. I awoke to have him carrying me over his shoulder and see her holding your body while glaring daggers my way."

M'Lan gave a non plussed look. "Frell me. Bastard son of Hezmot!"

"Yeah, kinda some of the things I called him." John sighed as he stretched out again, but remained upright. "But any how, that isn't what I was meaning. That physical they gave you actually infected you with a virus. My friend Chiana and her brother escaped Nebari Prime when they were young, but they had been infect as well. Only they got a cure for it from some guy high up in the Establishment. A head honcho who controls the resistance. Few cycles back her people, our people, caught up with us and told us all this crap. Seems they wanna control the galaxy, and this virus is better than a mind cleansing."

"Damn!" The younger male raised his eyebrows in shock.

"Yeah, talk about big time shit." John shook his head. "This virus was present in you, and you gave it to me."

"I'm sorry."

"Don' worry about it, old news. But that isn't the main part of it." He paused as he held up his gray skinned hand and almost black nails. "It seems I had some immunity, and the virus didn't like it. Didn't like my original DNA either. They mixed, had a brawl, did a West Side Story bit, I sang I feel pretty, witty, and gay. The next thing I know, I am waken up in a hospital on some freakin medical planet as a knocked up Nebari with a kid who has a dead beat dad, literally."

"I knew it!" M'Lan crowed in triumph as John looked at him confused. "Your symptoms were the first stages of a Nebari pregnancy. Solid black eyes, pale skin, abdominal cramps. It usually takes monens for them to show, and only then because something in the body has triggered the start of the pregnancy. I never paid much attention to what caused it, just the symptoms cause my cousin." He grabbed John up in a tight, breathless embrace. "What does he look like? Does he have a name? Does he have your eyes or mine?"

"Whoa, hold on a minute," John gasped out as he slowly pried himself free. "She was beautiful. Had my eyes, and her mother's cheek bones."

"Mother? Was?" Confusion was clear in his tone as he searched John's face. "What do you mean, was?"

"She is gone." He looked away, unable to meet M'Lan's gaze. "There was nothing I could do. I shouldn't have even been able to give birth the way I did. If it wasn't for some strange organs, M'Lila would never have even been conceived."

"M'Lila..." the heart broken whisper came as M'Lan looked up at John from a lowered face.

"Yeah, she was beautiful. I remembered you like the name."

"The first night." M'Lan nodded. "I too remember. You were explaining to me why you wanted a child and what you would name him or her. I am sorry that this Aeryn Sun did not love you enough to give you that child. But you saw ours before... at least."

"Yours, she had none of my DNA, that is where Chiana came in. The child had the DNA of three Nebari, you, Chiana, and a guy named Meelak." John tried to scoot away, but M'Lan cupped his chin, forcing him to look at the Nebari.

"She is, was yours. No matter, even if it was for a short time. You loved her, you helped give her life. Did you want to be there for her as she grew?"

"I guess."

"Then she was yours. DNA does not mean ownership."

"Yeah, well it doesn't matter any more." John grabbed his hand, and pulled it off his face. "She's gone, so are you, and I am about to be. Why can't I just die like anyone else? What is so damn special about me that I have to go through all this... Shit! Why me?" Standing up, he screamed the last at the top of his lungs

"That is what we all ask ourselves at one time or another, Julon." M'Lan stood and walked over to his side. "You are just the lucky ema that happened to be shot through a worm hole."

John froze, then turned back to look at M'Lan. "Who are you?"

"I am the same person I have always been."

"Who are you, Mauldis? I never told M'Lan about being from a worm hole." He backed away as M'Lan's face grew angry. "Who the fuck are you?"

"The same person I was the day you saw me die. Only now I know a little more than I did then." He put his hand on his hips, and stared at John. "You are special, Julon. More so than you realize. They have been planning for your arrival a long time. You know this."

"Who is they?"

"The Ancients and their allies, who else."

John slammed his fist in to the nearest wall. "God damn them!" Kicking at the same wall, he tried to brake through the marble. "I fucking knew it. They lied to me, again!"

"What? You were expecting them to be honest about their plans with and for you?" M'Lan's voice dripped with sarcasm as he walked closer to the angry Crichton. "You are too valuable a tool to just cast aside. Think about it, they gave you the keys to the universe and the means to keep them. And they did all this out of the goodness of their hearts?"

John whirled on him, rushing him against a far wall. "What else do you know about there plans?"

M'Lan struggled in the vice grip as John bodily locked him against the wall. "Frell off! I don't have to tell you trat!"

"You will tell me!" John gripped the younger man by the face with both hands, and forced him to look him in the eyes. "Don't lie to me. What else do you know?" When M'Lan only glared at him defiantly, John lowered his head to the other man's shoulder. "Please, I am sick of these games."

M'Lan sagged in the embrace weakly as John pulled him close. "I don't know. They said you knew it all already."

"How did you meet them," he whispered in to the curve of M'Lan's neck, nuzzling at his throat.

"They offered me a chance to live again. As I was hit from the pulse blaster, the world suddenly died around me. Darkness was all that surrounded the bed, and the pain was gone. I dunno how they did it, they just did. A warm golden-yellow light spoke to me. Offered me the chance to live again. All I had to do was say yes."

John ran his nose up the side of M'Lan's neck to his ear. "What did they want you to say yes to?"

M'Lan moved his head away from John, tears stinging his eyes. "I can't..."

John squeezed him tighter. "Tell me."

"Please..."

"Tell me!"

"It doesn't matter because I told them to frell off!" The world around them started to get dark. "I told them to frell off," he repeated defeated. "I have to go, Julon." He pulled back from John's slack embrace, drawing a warm hand down John's face. "I'm dying too, this was just a last chance to say good bye before we both left this world." He sniffed as tears ran down his cheeks. "I am going to miss you so much. In the time of my life when no one else cared, or was willing to be there, you were. No one has made me feel the way you do."

The darkness started to grow nearer as John gave a muffled grunt. "Please, don't go. I don't want to be alone again."

M'Lan pulled his face up so they could look at one another again. "You will go on, be strong, they still need you. Remember that, they need you, not the other way around."

John wrapped him in his arms. "But I need you."

Shaking his head no, M'Lan pulled back from the embrace. "You have all you need." The tears continued as he started to turn from John. "Know one thing, I think I loved you." Then he was jerked around, John behind him. They were both laying on the bed, and M'Lan was shielding him with his body. Someone was in the room with them, they were back in the inn on the commerce planet. "It will pass."

The figure in black moved near him, pulse blaster raised. "Get away from him!"

"No," M'Lan said, "he must be allowed to complete..." He didn't have time to finish as the door busted open in the same instant the pulse blaster in the hand of the dark figure fired.

The Luxan in the door opened his qualta blade to fire but the figure in black hit the floor, rolling under the bed. "Nooo.." Others were coming, John could make out as M'Lan's body settled cooling next to him in the bed. Lifeless eyes stared back at him as D'Argo's hand settled on his shoulder. "No, oh no. Please, no."

Then all faded to black.

A hand on his shoulder made John realize he was still laying on the ground of the room on Nebari Prime. He looked up to Guide Zhaan looking at him in sympathy. "Why?"

"It was his last wish."

"It's time, I'm ready." John spoke to her as he sat up slowly. "I have to apologize to D'Argo, I thought he..."

"Enough of this, John, he knows. He has forgiven you as you now forgive him." She watched as he stood, extending her arm. "Give your hand."

"Why?"

"It is time, as you said. They are now ready, and so are you. Time for you to decide. Time for you to take my hand and die, John Crichton."

John reluctantly put his out. "Zhaan, I don't want to die. I wanna live, I wanna see my family. Have kids, grow old with somebody." He stopped, looked around the room, then back at her face. "I want to be able to love again. Please, just one more mome..."

Zhaan took his hand.

****

In the practice arena, Aeryn Sun fell to her knees, clutching her stomach. She felt the loss of something, and so did the babies. It was like a loud noise as had just suddenly stopped, or a part of her cut off. She felt empty, like... "Oh Cholock, no." Her scream rocked the supports of the practice arena. The medical teams came rushing in to find her rolled up in a ball, clutching her protruding belly, tears in her eyes.

Scorpius rushed into the room at her side as they placed her on the stretcher. "What is wrong?" His alarm making the Scarran undertones in his voice scare the medical crews.

One of the techs was at his side in an instant. "We can find nothing physically wrong with her, sir. She just collapsed and started to scream."

"Then find out where her doctor is, if there is something wrong, he will be able to know!"

The Tech bowed and backed away. "Right away, sir."

Ignoring the frantic medics' concerns, he pushed them aside to get at Aeryn. She was almost completely hysterical as they tried to calm her. He threw a persistent med tech out of his way, and kneeled beside her stretcher. Grabbing her hand, he acted as a base for her. "What is wrong, Officer Sun?"

"He's gone."

"The baby?"

"No, John, he's gone."

Scorpius let her hand go as they moved the stretcher. Sitting there stunned, he replayed the image of her wide tear filled eyes. 'John's gone,' he thought. 'John is gone... John Crichton.' He fell back to sit on his feet from the shock. "John Crichton is gone." The supports once again shook as his Scarran growls filled the arena.

****

Jack stood over the comatose body of the gray alien. He watched in sorrow as the alien's heart monitor continued the slow almost non existent beeping. There was nothing his people could do to bring it back to life, and the other aliens had told the translator, Jim, that there was nothing they could do for him either. It was only a matter of when before he died.

Curing silently, he hit the wall above the heart monitor. He looked at his red skin, and for the millionth time wondered if John would recognize him as he was now. There were days when he didn't even recognize his own face. Sighing he sat down in a chair next to the hospital bed.

He ran his sore hand down his face in exhaustion. "Where are you, my son? Are you happy?" All was silent in the room as he waited for an answer. "I don't suppose you can tell me if he is?" Jack looked at the alien again. "No, didn't think so."

Pulling out the necklace he, stared at the puzzle on the end of it. "How did you come about this? Did you know my son?" Still nothing. "Was he happy when you last saw him? The day he disappeared, there were things left unresolved between us. I just want a chance to put things right."

"You know, there are something's I consider to be every father's dream. Like their child to follow in their footsteps. All I ever wanted for John was him to follow in my steps, and be successful at it. That isn't too much to ask for a father, is it?" Jack looked at the Nebari. "Do you have any children?"

"If you do, you will know what I am talking about. I just want the best for mine. I have seen my two daughters grow and have children of their own. Their children are grown and have children of their own. One of my great grand children has even had two children of her own. I wonder how many John has. You know he would be the age I was when he left, by now. Fifty eight years old, can you believe it? No, I don't either."

Jack took a closer examination of the Nebari male. "If you were at all Human, I would swear you might be his son. Are you? Is he any relation to you? Hell, for all we know about these aliens, you could be his tenth generation grand son. You may not even be aware of what your lineage is."

Laughing at the absurdity of it, Jack sat back again. "Shall I tell you a story? You are not too old for a story, at least not one like this. I think I like the idea of you being related to my son. That would mean you were related to me. No matter how many generations removed you might be. So on with the story, I guess."

He cleared his throat. Looking down to the floor, he focused on his memories. "Let's see here. Once upon a time, Oh about thirty and some odd years ago, there was an astronaut, who was the son of another astronaut, a very famous astronaut. The son Astronaut felt he had something to prove, that it was fine to be his father's son, but being the son of a Famous Astronaut was not what he wanted. He had to prove to the world he was just as good as his father, even better in fact. Or may be it was too himself, or his father.

"Well that doesn't matter, what matters is he was greater than his father. To prove it, he came up with a theory, and came up with a way to prove that theory. Something his father never even dared try. You see his theory was to prove that if they used the Earth's gravity to sling shot a ship out, it would revolutionize travel among the planets and we could begin a possible colonization. Well what they didn't account for was the solar storms that were occurring, and the ship activated a massive gravity distortion and sucked him in it.

"For three days every scientist on the planet searched the heavens for anything that might resemble the same gravity distortion, or a possible ship. Nothing ever came of it. Not exactly nothing, many new technologies were created to scan the solar system, and new designs created to make sure it never happened again. In fact there is an entire new weather bureau to account for special variations that might cause unexpected results. Or undesirable, depending on what you might think.

"Now after three days, the president of this great nation, the birth nation of the Astronaut declared the son lost to our world and for all intents and purposes dead. This hit the family of the astronaut son hard, and they almost didn't make it. If not for the support of family friend, the father wouldn't have. But the father astronaut had her, and he swore never to give up the search for his son. He even went as far as to develop a scanning system that traced many possible trajectories of this gravity distortion..."

"Worm hole."

"Worm hole, yes, that's it.... Did you say something?" Jack sat forward staring at the Nebari with hope. When nothing came, he sat back with a sigh. "I guess my old age must be catching up to me. Now where was I, oh yeah, the worm hole scanning tech. The father created it to search for this worm hole and where it might have taken his son. Nothing was ever found, but he never gave up hope.

"The years past, tensions between the other nations erupted and a war broke out. The father astronaut was very upset when his youngest daughter was taken from him by this war. He did not see why she had to leave, but she said it was her duty, and civic pride demanded that she serve her country. So what was he to do, he supported her, but reluctantly. As the wars went on, resources became scarce, and the governments wanted all the tech they could get to fight one another.

"It was a bloody mess, and it took the lives of many good people. The wars finally ended ten years after their start, but not before one nation was placed in a permanent embargo. This was a grave mistake, and one the father astronaut tried to warn them about. No one would listen to him in the governments, but the public began to. But it was too late, by the time they listened to him, that nation had decided they had nothing left to lose and released a plague upon the Earth. The likes of which none have seen for almost a thousand years.

"That was thirteen months ago. Now those who would not listen are either dead or will soon be. What this plague does is kill off those who isolated themselves from the rest of the world. To show that isolation kills the Human spirit. They taught the world a valuable lesson. But they also paid a heavy price. You see those who were infected with the first strain in order to carry it from one place to another, died horrible and slow deaths. Six hundred thousand dead because of the arrogance of a smaller group of people. Now more than four billion will die because they thought to avoid the plague all together.

"Through all this, the father kept hoping, and praying that if their was a god, he would send him a sign that he was all right. He also kept thanking that god for keeping his son from being exposed to all this. For had it not been for that worm hole, his son would be here and probably dead because he was in isolation. His family along with him. You see it was out of protest for the leaders of this nation that they refused the isolation offered by the government when the plague was discovered. Had he been here, they would never have hated a government that would give one of their best up for dead, had had reason to doubt the leaders assurances that the isolation was for the best, and would have died because of that misplaced trust.

"Now picture it, four weeks ago, that ancient scanning net created to scan for worm holes picks one up. This worm hole deposits two ships containing the first aliens ever seen on this world. Ten hours later it picks up another energy disturbance that turns out to be a third ship. On that ship is the last hope of an old man to ever find out what happened to his son. There is only one problem, the people in charge can't let him have access to the alien if he doesn't take over a project for the people he has despised for over thirty years.

"What is he to do but except their offer. Only it is an offer with the devil. He is to become the new leader of the most powerful nation on this world. In effect, he is to become the new leader of the world. His job is to make these people, these changed people, like these aliens. Okay it seems I left out something important. These people who created the plague, also gave it a side effect, the longer it mutated, so did the host being. Now you have almost an entire planet of people who are Red skinned, green eyed, and purple haired. I seem to be able to move about like I haven't done in almost forty years, so may be we live longer too. They gave us a second chance on life, it seems. I guess we really can survive anything if we stick together."

Jack went silent for a time. He seemed to contemplate the floor for a while as the monitors continued their slow steady beeping. "Now what am I to do? It seems I have a chance to make this world the place we had hoped to live in when we were younger. A place for our children to grow up happy, healthy, and prejudice free. I also have a chance to find out what happened to my first son, but you won't wake up. I can have everything I have wanted for the past thirty years, but only if you please wake up."

Sitting forward in his chair, he grabbed the alien's hand. "Please, Julon, if you can understand me, wake up. At least tell me my son is all right. That if he is dead, that he died for a good cause. Anything!"

The Nebari's eyes shot open, freezing Jack with their startling clear blue. Their eyes met, and Jack felt his heart constrict. "John?"

"Esceru..." was the whisper, then the eyes lost focus, and the monitors squealed.

Jack was pushed out of the room in shock as the doctors and nurses rushed in trying to save the strange alien. He could only watch as they tried again and again to revive the alien, all to no avail. Stiffly, he walked down the corridor to the comment room where the aliens and Jim met daily. They would be in there now, they could tell him. They were.

Numbly, he pressed the palm control that let him in. The two groups stopped their bickering as he entered. In shock the Nebari watched as he walked in. Several of the rougher looking group started to chatter at him, probably asking what species he was or to go to hell. That was one of their more favorite phrases for the anthropologists. He took a seat usually occupied by the leader of the runners.

She cursed at him, but he was in no mood to deal with her. Jack signaled Jim over, whom came with the leader of the Seekers. When they sat down, he put his head in his hands.

"Are you okay, sir?"

"No, Jim, I am not. I just lost the only link I had with my son in over thirty years."

Jim paled as he watched the older man. "You mean Julon..."

"Is dead. Yeah, just now. He woke up, looked me in the eyes, said something in alien, and then seemed to cease. There is no other way to describe it. It was like there was a living being there one moment, and then a sack of flesh the next."

Jim put a hand on Jack's shoulder. "I'm sorry, sir. I knew how much it meant to you."

"Geishe val wearede, Jim?"

Jack looked up at Resoh, but spoke to Jim. "What did he say?"

"He wanted to know what Julon said, sir."

"Esceru, that was the last thing he said. Does he know what it means?"

Jim asked Resoh, who seemed to think on it a minute before he responded. "You must know something. Come on, this is possibly for my... for John."

"Jeana wei. Yvo jhanish cleito."

Turning back to Jack, Jim shook his head. "I am sorry, sir. He says it is only a partial word, but one that has many meanings. He would need more than just the one word. It has to have an inflection and a prefix to it before he can understand the meaning." Resoh snapped a sound at Jim, and he looked chagrined. "Sorry, a suffix, sir. There has to be a tail end to the word itself before he can tell you what he meant. Perhaps if we knew what you had asked him?"

"I was asking if he knew where John was."

"Kleagowh."

Jim shook his head. "Sorry, sir, there is no Esceru as part of a location, it is more of an acknowledgement or denial answer but with an explanation."

"What about Esceru in response to if John died for a good cause?" Jack was desperate, enough to reveal anything and everything he had told Julon.

Resoh pierced Jack with obsidian eyes, and nodded. "Juento esceru Ta."

Jack looked to Jim with pleading eyes, but felt his heart sink at the paleness of the other man. "What does it mean?"

Swallowing, Jim tried to find the words. "He said, it means no," he stopped, but Resoh poked him in the ribs. "It means fully, no, for it was not his choice. He was murdered by circumstances, and the decisions of others. I am sorry, sir."

"Thank you, both of you." Jack walked out the same way he came in, the numb taking over again. He put on a calm mask as he walked to his office. There were some calls he had to make, a funeral to arrange, and an autopsy to schedule.

He picked up the phone and dialed a three digit pen code, waited two minutes for clearance, then dialed a ten digit number. On the second ring, someone picked up. "Hello Katie, is grand mother there? Good, can I speak to her? Yeah, it's Great Grand Pa Jack. Okay, let me talk to Grand Ma please." There was a pause as he bit back a half sob. He cleared his throat a second later. "Yeah, Kate, it's me. I found him. Get the others together, I can't talk now. Why not? Well I have other things to arrange, the least of which is an autopsy followed by a funeral!"

Jack let go of the receiver as Kate cried out on the other side. When her cries had toned down to sobs, he placed the receiver back to his ear. "Now listen to me, Kate, Katie, Katherine Mulheim Crichton Schlouzki! You have to be strong for now, you can brake down later. Remember how I taught you better of that the first time he was lost to us. You have a larger family now, and they will need you. I will be here when you come. For now I have to call the others. I love you, my little girl. Good bye."

Setting the receiver down on the dock, he opened the bottom drawer on his desk and pulled out a silver bottle with red ribbons wrapped around it. 'Welcome Home, John,' was on the card. He took the cap off and offered it up in salute before drinking it.

Chiana sighed as she awaited the fleet. They were late, then again what did she expect from a group that uses inexperienced pilots in a battle formation? Even if they did win the first altercation, they took too many losses, and now they were planning to go after the Peace Keepers. The Transport should have left already, but the wanted to wait for the battle fleet first.

What the frell was taking them so long?

She decided to recheck over the systems. Her reserves were still at full, and the primary weapons were at maximum in all fields. The drive system was still operational, as was the star jump drive. It was something her people had developed that mimicked natural defensive maneuver of a Leviathan.

Her people, the technogeeks of the galaxy as Crichton had called them. They like finding weapons, both defensive and offensive. They also like having their test subjects close at hand, thus the control collars. Chiana ran a hand around her neck where the collar used to be, twice. It was a bad memory, one that did not need reliving.

She growled out her frustration as she switched on her comm. "Where in the frell is that battle fleet?"

"They have been detained. Apparently someone has over ridden our command authorization.... Oh Hezmana, the Peace Keeper fleet is returning, this time in full force. All ships, return to Transport, and prepare for immediate star jump!"

"Frell! I am personally going to kill whom ever recalled the fleet!" She aimed her small module for the transport and saw the mess of ships limping back to the docking bay. There was no way they would all get there in time for the star jump before the Peace Keepers arrived. She swallowed hard, someone was going to have to hold them back. Hitting her comm. again, she tried to smile. "Control, this is Chiana of wing one."

"Control here, get your ema to the docking bays."

"No time, there are too many who are wounded and need to get there first. I am going to try and hold the Peace Keepers off long enough for them to get back and use my own star jump drive."

"Have you gone completely bartanic? We need all the best pilots..."

"To beat the Peace Keepers!" Chiana smiled at the new voice. "This is Wing Commander Helie of The Gray Shadow of Death. We are all in perfect fighting condition, didn't sustain a single hit. Our people are fully prepared to do what is necessary to fight off them frelling Peace Keepers long enough for you to escape. We will get along with-out you, and if possible regroup and join you later."

There came a sigh over the comms. "Then you do know we can not give you our jump coordinates, so you can not follow us."

"We know this and are still prepared to fight."

"Then may Kahleen watch over all of you, and blessed be the divine in his ways." Then a bleep as the comms were cut off from the main fleet.

Helie's laugh came over their comms. "Reunionists, always preaching about the Divine, and his mysterious people. Wing, set course at half speed for the command carriers. Arm shields and weapons. Our jump coordinates will be Rela Colony, I am relaying them to you as I speak. As that relnic said, may the Goddess and Divine One watch over us all, cause we are going to need all the help we can get."

This piqued Chiana's interest as she followed orders. "Hey Helie, what is this Divine One?"

Helie's laugh once again erupted. "Oh that, he is supposedly a bright being of light and energy that guides our destiny among the stars. Loves all, and watches over those who die. They believe that one day he will rise up among his people again after his flesh has burned away by the love our Goddess. This will make him immortal again, and restore the balance that was long ago upset. If we supposedly follow his path, we too can join them in the people of light. You have to go through so many stages before you can join with him, each stage is major change in the body and spirit."

Chiana smiled as they formed their attack wing. "Sounds like a lofty ideal."

"Yeah, well it is supposedly the oldest religion on our home world."

"Nebari Prime had a religion?"

"Two actually, the Love of the Goddess, and the Light of the Divine One. The Reunionists are the merging of both those orders, but keep the two religions separate. Bunch of fanatics, once you get one started about their gods, they never shut up. That is how I know so much about them. If you had spent a day on the Transport, you would have probably been tempted to kill one of them by now." Raxious laughter filled the comms as the other pilots agreed with her.

"It might not be as bad as we think, to believe there is a better place for us all. Then again, who knows." Chiana shrugged in her flight suit.

"Hold on to your ears, boys, I think we got ourselves a Reunionist."

"Stuff it! I was saying be open minded or else you will end up like the Establishment." They were silenced immediately. "Helie, where were we bound for with that load of fighters?"

"Our attack squads were bound for Terra Novina, the Royal Sebacean Colony where we have a training course. We, you, me, all of us were being recruited to fight for the resistance. I thought you knew this already."

"No. Like I said, I was there with my brother, Nerri. They just suddenly started to strip my ship to dress it in battle armor and weapons."

"Frell. Sorry, it said on your registry that you brought your own ship. They assumed you were joining as a pilot. Your fighter was listed as in active service."

"Nerri! When I get my hands on that grebhol!" Chiana growled in anger as she hit the handles on the steering column.

"Hold on, Chiana. Why would you bring a fighter if not for active service?"

"It belonged to a friend of mine. My... lover."

"Hate to brake it to you, but this is a war effort, and no cargo is to be carried for sentimental reasons unless it can fit on your back. This was probably the only way he could get it to come along."

Chiana thought on this for a moment. "I'm still going to kill him, even if you're probably right."

"I know I am. So keep the killing of resistance leaders to yourself and look mean. There are Peace Keepers dead ahead. Emphasis on the dead!" Her fighter shot forward from the attack V. "Chiana, Grelene, take my wings, the rest of you slags take a position above or below them at wing's length from their far side. Looking good, now lets show these damned Sebaceans the superiority of the Nebari!"

They were spread across three vanguards wide. In the lead were three large Command Carriers. Following closely behind were two more, and some metra's back there were eight more fleets of the remaining command carriers with their support ships. Prowlers, Marauders, Battle Fighters, and a vast array of attack ships spread out like a nebulous entity around them.

Off her starboard side, Chiana saw several more attack groups of Resistance fighters. "Helie, who are they?"

"That is the rest of the Grey Shadow of Death, Ishtah Squadron. I am detecting thirty-five fighters. We are all here, our Squadron made it through!" Helie's excitement was infectious and had the others shouting their joy. "Soren, our Squad Commander, commends us on our first victory, and warns us not to get cocky. Keep formation for the first attack, then split up in our wings to confuse the enemy. Maintain visual sight of all your wing members at all time. Good luck! Attack!"

As one they opened fire on the Peace Keeper fleet. Entire Prowler groups literally disappeared under their touch. "Keep firing, right up to you have to brake formation," came an unknown commanding male voice over their comms.

Chiana's squad breeched the wall of Prowlers and Marauders to hit a Command Carrier before they were even in firing range of the Peace Keeper fleet. Helie's voice threw orders out as they entered the breech. "Stick close to the Command Carrier, go for the cannons, drives, any weakness you can find."

They weaved through the prowler lines. Their ships faster and more maneuverable. Chiana fired on the command carrier when she was close enough, crowing as small flares whipped out signifying a direct hit. She had to shoot forward and roll to avoid the close range fire of one of the wing cannons on the carrier. Aiming directly at it, she sent the drives to full thrust, her wing following, an attack squad on their tales.

"Brake!"

At Helie's order, they shot off in different directions. The prowlers, not fast enough, were caught up in the force of their own drives and slammed into the cannons. Chiana brought her module around and started firing at the gaping hole in the side of the Command Carrier.

"Chiana! What are you doing?"

"Want to win an unfair fight, fight dirty!" She continued firing, weapons at full power. The carrier shuddered as smaller explosions lit the inside of the ship. "Well are you going to sit there staring, or help me blow a hole through this frelling thing?"

"Right, Reson, Heries, and Goldan, keep our backs. The rest of you help us." Her fighter added to Chiana's. The Peace Keeper vessel rocked from the explosions. "Make it bigger! We have to make that hole bigger!"

"Why?"

"We have to have an exit, this way is blocked by the prowlers." Helie's voice took on a sardonic tone. "Besides, I got a little surprise for them!"

Chiana laughed darkly as she complied. Her fighter blasting a hole through, she started moving closer to the breech. The brilliant pulses of blue energy came so fast that any back blast was sent in to the ship. She moved faster as the three members holding their backs told them more prowlers were on their way. Then suddenly the blast stopped, and she was able to see stars from the wrong direction. "I'm through!"

"Then what are you waiting for, go!" Six fighters dropped from their positions of attack and shot in to the Command Carrier. "Don't worry about firing on them, what I got will deal with them!" Helie's fighter was the last to enter.

The journey through the ship was far faster than Chiana would have guess, it also didn't help that she was on full burn. They shot out on the other side amidst little resistance. The Peace Keeper ships were on the other side of the carrier attempting to stop them from blasting their way through. 'Too little too late,' she thought.

Helie's ship shot out of the carrier like a bat out of hell. "Let's get the hezmana out here, now! This is going to be big!"

Their ships spun around each other like in a whirl wind, mimicking the pattern of their fellow fighters as they regrouped beyond the reaches of the fleet. "Is it done," came the same commanding voice from earlier.

"Confirmed, war head planted. Detonate at your leisure." Helie's voice held a note of pride.

"Detonation." As the voice spoke, Chiana watched the Command Carrier. An explosion ripped through the entire carrier, in a matter of microts the entire ship was wrapped in a brilliant flash of blue-white energy. She blinked when the other two of the first fleet went up as well. Her comms were over loaded with shouts of triumph and curses sounding faintly like peace that!

The shock waves from the blasts took out most of the support ships and remaining attack vessels. "That's what ya get for messing with the Gray Shadow!" Their shouts over the comms were blanketed out as their victory was short lived. Everything seemed to slow down as Chiana's Module drifted to see the Nebari Transport. A Command Carrier was upon them and their weapons aimed. It did slow down. "Nooooo...." Then it stopped.

All she heard was a whisper of the wind. The world around her was all white. Chiana felt a presence, something touching her cheek. Something warm, like a hand. It caressed her cheek as tears rolled down it. "Old man?"

"Love you," whispered the wind.

Then his touch was gone, and the world was speeding back to normal. She couldn't speak. Before her eyes it ended again. The Command Carrier fired, and the transport exploded. Chiana felt it as if a physical blow. "Nerri," she whispered. Powering the module to overload, she gunned the drives, and flew directly at the heart of the ship. She ignored the comms as they flooded with people calling her name. All she knew was that carrier and its crew had to die. "You. Will. Never. Hurt. Me. A-gain!" With eyes set in pure hatred, she rammed the carrier head on.

****

Someone was humming, or at least it felt like they were. It didn't make sense, how could she feel humming, it was a sound. It would have to be more than screaming in order for her to feel it. This was a sensation of contentment. Almost as if...

Jool's eyes opened as she sat up. There was no one in the chamber now. Wait, there was movement on the other side of the now solid pillar, the golden light-energy was gone. Deep inside she felt a sadness, as if someone she knew was gone.

"Are you going to lay there all day?"

That warm voice, she knew it from somewhere. It was the one that had been humming a moment ago. "Who are you?"

The woman laughed slow and at ease with herself. "It is not important who I am, but what."

"I asked you a question."

"Then I shall answer. After all, that is why you are here."

Jool walked over to her slowly. The woman had gilded orange hair, her eyes a bright blue. Her skin resembled that of any one of her own race. "Who are you? You look Sebacean, but different."

"We once looked this way, but that was a very long time ago. Then again, we were never this solid. That is until most of my people were bound to this form through a mask." She saw enlightenment dawn in Jool's eyes. "Yes, as you now know, I am a member of the same race as Stark, Banics. We took this shape as a pleasing form of amusement. To interact with other species who rightfully believed us their deities. We learned long ago that not only could we feel new sensations as corporeal beings, we could also reproduce." She laughed long at this, a merriment that made Jool's skin tingle with warmth. "In answer to your question, my name is Kahleen, the last of the Banic race."

"But you still seek answers, to questions you have not asked. Very well, I shall endeavor to explain to the best of my ability." She held out a hand to Jool, which she accepted and took a seat beside the Banic female. "There were once millions of my people, always in either corporeal or energy form. Until we took corporeal form longer than the time it was necessary to deal with another race, we had no idea what reproducing was. At first we thought we were dying, those who became pregnant were stuck in corporeal form. Then when the first child was born a miracle to us. Can you imagine what it was like for a species where no new beings had been since the dawn of their race?

"When we realized what it was, there was much celebration. Many of us wanted to experience this new life. That was when our enemies came, they took those of us pregnant or with children and bound us to a mask. Very few of us had never had a child, there fore, very few us escaped. Of those that escaped, a mere handful, only I survived the loneliness of isolation from my people. I traveled the stars from planet to planet in this form, searching for people like my own. There was only one race I ever met that was like mine, the Ancients."

Kahleen held up her hands in display of the chamber. "This is the place they built for me. A place where I could summon those that I needed to call my people home. It has been countless ages, and yet only one has returned. That one came because of his love for people who learned of me from old interactions before this chamber was built. He tells me that there are very few of our people left, and of those, almost none, if any, of them, Strykira."

Jool's eyes started to tear up as she felt the emotions of the ancient being. "I am sorry."

Kahleen put a hand on her wrist. "It isn't your fault, dear one. Time and the stress it brings are to blame for most. Others, like my beloved Stark, suffered so badly from the years of slavery they have simply surrendered to the call of death. Here in my chamber, I was separated from that, for we are all sensitive to the ebb and flow of life. Now he is here and I can finally rest and rejoice."

Jool smiled at the pleasure. "I hate to sound as if your pain doesn't matter, but what does this all mean for me?"

There was a moment of silence as Kahleen sat looking off into nothing. "I explained only what I was, and wanted. But there is more to it than that. You see, with the Ancients, you never get anything for free. They wanted something, something only a Strykira and a Banic could give them. They wanted me to ease a being's suffering, but not allow him to die. To make him something more. For that I needed a physical link beyond this chamber, a corporeal version of my people. Also this link needed to be bound to his soul, and have intimate knowledge of him.

"Stark was all this, and more. In the time he disappeared from your crew, he took with him knowledge from the duplicate Crichton. Following the siren's call of his lost beloved, he was given the task to gain more knowledge of Crichton. He met up with and scanned the memories of other beings, those who held emotional ties to Crichton. Finally, with the help of the Ancients, he was given knowledge of a lover. All was necessary for the plans of the Ancients."

She gripped Jool's hand. "My people weren't the only ones who were dying. There were other great races that had gone beyond the threshold, and were staring death in the face. Three of these came together and decided to create a future. Many steps were necessary to create those that could successfully breed and hopefully repopulate their dying races. If not, to at least be their legacy." Standing, Kahleen let go of Jool's hand, and walked over to lean against the pillar.

"Their first attempts were wildly unsuccessful. Creating a race like the Scarrans was almost the exact opposite of what they wanted. But they could no more kill their creations, than themselves. So they started again. This time, they used DNA similar to that of my own. Sebaceans were created on six worlds, each a different laboratory if you will. Crichton's people have a saying about chicken's eggs and baskets."

"His people have many sayings. Yet, I know this, it is a wise philosophy for such a primitive people."

"Yes, well the Ancients learned this from the Scarrans when one of the native plants caused a serious mutation in their DNA spoiling the entire crop. This also made them learn it would take more than one species to achieve their goals. You see when they attempted to combine all these traits necessary for their new mates, it ended rather badly. Mainly the Sebaceans destroyed one another in a war that claimed their original home worlds, and the base DNA strands from which they were created. So all new improvements on their DNA would come from outside the species. In order to allow this hybridization to occur smoothly, blood lines were established and breeding programs began.

"Another species was created, one they sought to make the companions of the Sebaceans. In them they hoped to create what the Sebaceans lacked, a mental stability that would provide higher brain functions. That which allows greater capacity to learn. They have to be able to exist in this dimension and the one your people inhabit. Unfortunately, this proved also an unstable factor and the species which resulted now is attempting to instill order through out the galaxy, the Nebari. It was then decided that yet another race was required to maintain a balance long enough that these races could mature to the point in which a merging would be possible."

"A policing force? Why would such a thing be necessary at that early in their development?"

"It was not so much a policing force that was necessary, but a guiding hand." Kahleen gave her a compassionate smile. "This task fell to the Priests of Arnesk, the second race of the Ancient's alliance. They alone had the ability to do this. The other two races had kept low profiles since the beginning, one because they could not stay long outside their own dimension, the other because their appearance sparked too much of a fanatical following."

"As you know, there are many races that have been interfered with by older, more powerful ones. The Arnesk Priests had taken this to a level of what might be considered spiritualism. In essence, they believed it was their solemn duty to raise the enlightenment of other races to their standards and beyond. To that effect, it was the Arnesk priests that armed the Aylantian Peace Keepers."

Jool gasped at the name.

"I am not surprised you know the name. Most races would, or a version of it. They have been to almost every known world in the galaxy. An instrument of order, they were deadly in their enforcement. That is what made them so good at it. Other races learned that they were not afraid to use their power and were given to frequent demonstrations of it on races that over stepped their bounds. For five hundred generations they kept the peace through aggressive tactics. Then disaster struck, and they were locked in a dimensional loop.

"In the time before this happened, two more races were created from the same genetic stock as the Nebari. These races were created for the same purpose with mildly different results. One was created for the mental stability that which the Nebari lacked. They were monitored by the priests and their enforcers. Your race was that. Because of this, your people lacked one thing which would create would allow the perfect species to be created. The lack of adaptability which inspires creativity. Whether it was your active monitoring or some genetic flaw, it didn't matter, you became only another part in a greater puzzle. Everything your people are is based upon something you have saw or learned from another race. Basically you are the universe's greatest imitators.

"So that is where the Humans come in. So much creativity and adaptability that they seem to be able to survive even death itself. They are literally the glue for all species. Adaptability is written in their genetics, any time you mix their DNA with that of another, it creates an almost pure copy of that alien. Allowing only those traits which are wanted to be bred into the next generation.

"This is where I was useful. John's part is not over just yet. He has still one more role to play, and I was to prepare him for it. The role of Julon Crion. Even as we speak, the pieces are being set in place for the grand finale. The merging of all these species into that one perfect race. The strength of the Scarrans, the agility of the Sebaceans, Nebari mental and physical complexity, Interion mental stability and memory, finally the Human adaptability." Kahleen smiled wistfully.

"It is a wonderful plan, pure genius. They had been waiting for a sign, something that had been over a million years in the making. Time has no meaning for those that can control worm holes. This was the sign, one who could create a worm hole, and replicate that success. When John came, it was confirmation of their plans success. They knew it was only a matter of time before it was needed, so they implanted that knowledge which he would know how to access. Then they dangled him like a lour for all those that could get them what they wanted. All they had to do was wait.

"Unfortunately, this was easier said then done. In the time those who enforced the peace were locked away, and three of their more powerful creations had made their own designs on the universe. The Sebaceans had taken the name of the enforcers for the fear it instilled in other races. The Scarrans had started a campaign to stomp out all weaker species and assimilate the stronger into their own to make themselves even more so. And finally the Nebari had begun experiments into technology that would make the Ancients run screaming.

"If the Humans were ever going to have a chance at surviving, they would have to start while they were still relatively unknown. The first step in doing this was to free the priests of Arnesk. So events were manipulated, you were brought into play. You had to act as their guide for the time they had been away. As you were, they sent someone else to Earth, those that could prepare it for what lies ahead. You were to discover the path of enlightenment while the other rose from his own ashes. Now he has."

When she stopped speaking this time, Jool knew she was finished. "I have done my part, and it has led me here. So now what am I supposed to do?"

"Now you have a choice."

"What choice?"

"You have learned everything you have ever sought. Now, the question is, what do you do?" Kahleen walked over to her. "What do you do? Do you grow old and die content in the knowledge that your life once made a difference? Or do you continue on in the service of the greater good?"

Jool looked away from the Banic and blinked. She had never considered what she would do if she ever learned it all. In fact, she had never thought of what it would be like. It wasn't what she expected. "I have no idea. Did you give this choice to Crichton?"

Kahleen looked away as she walked back to the pillar. "Uh, no actually, John Crichton is dead. His death was given meaning for he died for the cause. I crossed him over with the help of a few friends while you were resting."

"What?" Jool shot to her feet. "John Crichton is dead? But you said he still had a part to play."

"And he played it. He was given a choice, and he chose."

"What were his choices," she asked in anger. "Whether he would die slowly or painfully?"

"Close, his choices were to be left to die in peace where every part of him would simply cease to exist, or to continue on in another form for the service of the greater good. Wisely he chose to serve the greater good."

"But you just said he was dead."

"And he is."

"But he is alive."

"In a manner of speaking." Kahleen smiled as Jool watched her in confusion. "We all live in on some form or another. John was given the choice to live on in this form, or to die all together. His death, if he had chosen the latter, would have taken with it the lives of four unborn children, their mothers, and the life of a little baby girl. If he had chosen to stop existing, they would have died, because all were endanger of being killed. But his decision to let them live enabled the Ancients to act, and spare their existence. It was his decision, not ours. After all, he earned the right to make it."

Jool nodded. "Sounds like the Crichton I know. What does this decision mean for him personally?"

"It means he will live on, never to know the rest of true death, ever again." Jool was about to comment, but Kahleen spoke first. "Do not say it, for that is something you do not know. For some, death is the only peace they will ever know. And for John Crichton, death was only the next level of his hell. So choose, little Interion, will you serve, or will you simply wait to die?"

"How would I serve the greater good?"

"There will come a time when the Interion people will need a leader. One who knows what is going on beyond their own sheltered world. Will you be that one? Will you prepare your people for their destiny? Make no mistake, the future is coming, and they will be apart of it. If you take this offer, they will be ready, and when it comes, they can take their place in it."

Tears welled up in her eyes as she watched in confusion. She nodded once, and Kahleen touched her forehead. Jool fell to her knees, and was dead before she hit the ground.

Kahleen turned her hand over, palm up. Above it floated warm golden energy in the shape of a ball. "The builders will distribute your energy among your people, as they have done with countless others since the beginning. It was their knowledge of Genetics that allowed all this to be possible, my little Interion. With you to act as their guide, that perfect race can happen." Kahleen closed her eyes and the ball of energy disappeared in a white flash.

When she opened her eyes, the six figures were in their places among the benches. Just as Jool had first seen them. "She did not see you, as you wished, she is gone. Now keep your part of our deal, and set me free."

Kahaynu nodded his ascent. As did the Priest and solid white Sebaceanoid Aylantian. Jack stood up, his face flashing in anger at the other three, but kept his opinion private. "Very well, you have kept your part of the bargain. Now on to our part. What is left of your people are on the world of Daltron four. It is a slaver's colony, there are six Strykira there, but no more. We shall not free them, if you wish that, you must do it on your own. Leave in your corporeal form, your Banic state will not allow travel from this place." He looked from Stark to Zhaan. "I thank you for your services, but I can not let Zhaan leave."

Stark stood, anger flashing in his one visible eye. "Why not? We have done as you asked."

"Please settle yourself, gentle Stark." Zhaan stood and faced him, placing a calming hand to his face. "It is not because they don't want to, but because they can't. My body no longer exists outside this place so I have no way to leave."

"But I need you."

"And you shall have me, but not in the way we both wish, I fear." She traced a path from his free eye to his lips with her fingers. "I will always be here when you have need of me."

"It's not fair!"

Jack laid a hand on Stark's shoulder. "Life isn't fair. I am but a child in my people's standards, but I can no longer leave this place either. Once, I was free to travel from world to world as long as I was in John's mind, but he is no longer, and so I am stuck here. You may come back as much as you wish, for as long as you want. As was our agreement."

Kahleen took Stark's free hand in her own and pulled gently. "Come, young one, I need you to guide me, then you can return to your beloved."

"But I don't want to go. I lost you once and I can't do it again." He held on Zhaan's hand. "Please, don't leave me."

"I shall not. You are needed once more, so go, and I will be here waiting for your return. To me it will be only but an instant till when next we meet." She released his face, and smiled. "Now go, the sooner you release the Goddess from her bonds, the sooner we can be reunited."

"I'll miss you..." Stark closed his eye as the tears stung. When he opened it, he placed back on his mask. "May the Goddess watch over you and guide you to your rest, gentle Joolushka." Gently he stroked Jool's face and eased her body to the floor of the chamber. Standing up, he looked around at the priests.

Dozens of Priests had gathered around as he released Jool's soul. "Look, his madness has abated."

"Then our work is done," said another.

"What has happened? Where is my Zhaan?"

One of the priests came forward, laying a hand on Stark's shoulder. "She is gone, as is the Goddess."

"But how.... I was just there, in the room!"

"You saw what you needed to see. You have said good bye, and allowed the Goddess to free herself." Said the Priest with his hand on Stark's shoulder. "We summoned you five days ago, your madness had been too severe for even our healers. Only the Goddess could set you free. She has, by letting you see what was left of your Zhaan."

"I don't understand, why do this to me?" Stark stood in anger, his eye flashing violently.

"It was necessary. Come with me and I will explain, they who are here will deal with that which remains." He started for the exit of the chamber, the same chamber Jool had started her jumps through. "Monens ago you went insane from your need of Zhaan. It was that event which allowed the Goddess to reach you. From her position in the other realm, that place where the ancients themselves dwell, the Goddess was able to cross Zhaan over. She would not have been able if she had died outside the worm hole. For a worm hole is an unstable event in space and time, that is how the Ancients and the Banics of before were able to take form in our Universe."

He waved a hand towards the walls of the corridors. "This place acts as a door way to that dimension, but it is only the beginning, there are several relays, or jumping points, before one can reach the other side. Your madness allowed you to actively reach out with that side of your being that is still Banic. You did not need a gate way, for you were a gate way." When they reached another level, he looked over to make sure Stark was understanding him. "Good, at least I have not confused you yet."

"Now on with why you are here. Kahleen needed to be set free, long ago she had come to the Ancients from her loneliness and desperation. They created a place for her in their dimension, but she could not leave it once there. She had forgotten how to appear in Corporeal form, and only one of her people could show her that. Over the endless time she was there, many have come and gone seeking wisdom on that plain of existence, most notably, the Delvians.

"When you traversed through the madness, you lit up like a homing beacon, and she lured you with your true heart's desire. Please forgive her for this, but our goddess and we were desperate. Joolushka had come, and her time was short. She had a destiny that she is now fulfilling thanks in no small part to you. Five days ago we summoned you to our world so that you may physically complete that which would free both ladies from their prisons. Thanks to your efforts, the Banic race, your race, will once again live free of the masks. You should be proud of yourself, we are." He finished looking quite pleased with himself.

Stark grabbed the Priest and forced him to look him in the eye. "What of my deal with the Ancients? I did as they asked, I gathered the information from Crais, Aeryn, and the dead Nebari. I aided in the freeing of John's mind from his body! Where is my reward, where is my Zhaan," he screamed his question at the Priest.

"I am sorry, but you made no deal with the Ancients. It was all an illusion necessary for your and her benefits, only the exchange of words from the time Jool arrived were real. The Goddess had to be set free, it was our debt to her, but we owe you nothing. Yes, you gathered the information, and you helped free three very important beings, but you made no deal with anyone to do it." In the next instant the Priest screamed in pain, his body dissolving in the orange glow from Stark's energy.

"I will not be toyed with. You will not use my heart to achieve your means! We are not illusions to be played in your games!" When he had killed the Priest, he turned on the others that had come from hearing the dead one's death cries. "I want what is owed me!" His energy grew from where he removed the mask. "Return my love to me, or you will all die!"

"Stark."

"Zhaan!" He looked around wildly for the source of the voice. "Where are you, Zhaan?"

"Stark," came the soft whisper again.

"I am coming, my love." Not seeing the priests, he put back on his mask and walked out.

They scattered as he dazedly walked out of the temple, back to his ship. One of the Priests spoke as he watched the ship leave. "You were warned not to mettle with forces you could not control. Why do you think they locked Kahleen away from the start? It was only the Delvians that restored her sanity by giving their own in return."

An older priest walked to the younger one's side, the only distinguishing in their features the paler colors that marked advanced age. "I thought he was sane enough for us to control."

"He was never insane, just too focused on his own grief."

"I have learned my lesson."

The first priest turned with a sad look. "Yes, but at the cost of your successor. There are few enough of us as it is, why must you take stupid risks?"

"It was worth it, we could not have completed this step with-out his help. Because Joolushka's knowledge of our plan, the Interions will now be able to take their place as the memories of our new species. Their children will be our future."

"It has been so long since I have seen a child." The first Priest had a wistful smile, when he turned back to the second, the old priest had disappeared.

******

"How does Officer Sun fare?" Commandant Mele-on Grayza walked into the room demanding a reply. Her presence sent the already skittish med techs into shivers. She gave them a look, and they rushed to their duties. Grabbing one of the techs, she lifted him up by the scruff of his uniform. "Where is someone who can give me an answer?"

"I...in there, ma'am." He pointed to a large metal door on the opposite side of the room. "We are preparing for the offspring now."

She dropped him with a warm smile. "Excellent. I want to see them immediately after the birth. Make sure that I am informed when it happens."

"Yes, ma'am." He scuttled away bowing as he tried to run.

Mele-on ignored the rest of the Med Techs as she walked straight to the door. There were people of actual importance that she had need to talk with. Opening the door, she came face to face with and irate Scorpius. "Commander?"

"Commandant! Ah, just the person I wished to see. There is a little matter of the healers. It seems that they believe I prove too much of a distraction in the delivery room. I wish you to set them right." He started to show her where the doctors and med techs were overseeing the birth, but she placed a hand on his.

"I know where they are, Commander. In this I think I will trust the decision of the healers on this. You do not seem quite yourself this day."

Scorpius paused in his tracks. "What is that to mean?"

Mele-on sighed as she faced him. "It means that you are being emotional in a place where they should not be. You gave into my authority to easily, requesting too politely. If I did not know, I would think you the one with child."

"You..."

Holding up a hand, she silenced his protests. "Leave it, or just leave. I have not the time or patience to deal with any distractions at the moment." Ignoring his dumb founded look, she went back to her search for one of the Healers in charge. After a few microts, she found the Avarian spouting orders faster than the techs could handle. "Avarian, how goes her condition."

"Not good, it seems the recent emotional upset has caused her to go into early labor. I have had to sedate her in order to prevent the pregnancy pains from killing her. Keep those samples separate or I will space you by my own hands," he yelled at a med tech. Turning back to Mele-on, he grimaced. "I had no other choice in the matter. Things were moving too fast for her body to cope, it is a miracle that she has lasted this long. All we can do is ease the pain and hope that she can survive what is going to be a normally fatal birth."

"Very good, Healer. Make sure that she does, and I will see that you are given everything you can think of. Now if you will excuse me, I have another patient I must look in on." She nodded at him to continue on with his work and head off back the way she came.

On her way towards the exit, she met up with a now angry Scorpius. "Do not even attempt it, Scorpius. I have not the time, but I will make room for your execution if you insist." When he said nothing and let her pass unmolested, she smirked. "Thank you, please continue with your work."

On the other side of the door, she heard the metal grunt under the pressure of being hit. Sometimes manipulating him was too easy. Then again seeing your lessers squirm was always a good thing. She continued on her fast paced march through the ship to the other side of Special Projects. Here would be that which she sought.

Just through the bulkheads was the package the old woman had made sure she was sent to retrieve. Why it was not to fall in to Nebari hands was something she had every intent in finding out. Even if it meant killing that same package. With a small suppressed thrill, she pressed the door to open. All of her life's work had culminated to this moment. Now she would find out what in hezmana those blasted Ancients had been doing.

The door slid open.

Mele-on bit down on the small voice of disappointment in the back her head as she noted it was only a girl. Hardly even a threat to anyone but herself. With no one here to help her, and John Crichton dead, there would be no trouble from her. This young Nebari was what the Ancients had been so secretive about?

Grayza walked in to stared down at the unconscious form of the Nebari. "Wake up!" She nudged her in the gut with her foot. "I said get up!"

"No, you said wake up," came the spat out reply.

"So you are alive." Mele-on began a slow circling as the Nebari sat up. "You have courage, I will give you that. But what did you think you would achieve with that stunt?"

"Get frelled!"

"I have neither the wish, or the inclination to do any such thing with you." She made to leave the cell, but stopped just at the door. "I would prepare to answer all my questions, it will make your stay here more pleasant. How you answer them will also determine what I will do with you when I am through. You see, there are none of the others left to come to your rescue. You are quite alone this time, Chiana." Tilting her head to the side, she smiled. "Have a good rest, we shall begin when I get back. Remember one thing child, all is forgiven in the service of the Greater Good." The door shut behind her silencing the screams of denial as she walked away.

***

"I do not understand these black bands around the arms of these Terrans in uniforms." Guide Resoh watched as two guards completed their rounds and exited the common room. They were sitting on a couch in the center of the large chamber with a domed ceiling made of glass. "What is the meaning, my friend?"

Jim looked at where the left. "It means they mourning someone, usually one of their own, but I have noticed that also a few politicals have worn the band as well. I think someone important is dead. You should ask the next time we see Jack."

"You mean in what little I can speak of your language?" Resoh spoke with a slight depreciating smile.

"You speak it better than most people I know. You've been here two months already, and you have learned more English than I knew existed." Jim shook his head in mirth. "No, you want to know, you ask. Personally I would just as soon not know, death is not something I like to think about."

Sitting up on the couch, Resoh tossed some bread chunks into the small pool in front of him. "Why, it is a perfectly natural function of life. We all must eventually face it. Some merely sooner than others." He tossed another hand full in the pool as the fish swam the surface lazily eating it.

"That may be, but people don't like dying, no matter how hard their life. I believe that is the reason many people believe in an after life, so that when they have to go, it won't be so bad." Jim shuddered in his seat. "I hate to think that their might not be something after death. I mean what is the point of life then?"

"Religion is for the weak minded. It is good to have a belief, but make it something useful. We Nebari, those of the Establishment, believe that life has a purpose. That once you no longer serve it, you may rest." Not looking at Jim, Resoh settled back with a sigh. When his friend did not comment, he went on. "It is a common occurrence among my people, they die all the time, I assume it is the same for your race." This time he looked to Jim for a response. "Then think of it this way. Once you are dead, you no longer exist. You won't care one way or another what happens because you won't be around."

Jim shook his head slightly. "That is hard to imagine."

"Then don't, just accept it."

"What, on faith?"

"As I said, even we have our believes. Not a religion, but a certain truth we all succumb to. Like dying, it is an inevitable that we accept to be truth. You would learn a lot about the world around you if you stopped worrying about trivial things you can neither control or know about."

Laughing, Jim clapped Resoh on the shoulder. "That is the same thing the old preacher told me when I was a boy. Said leave things that matter to god in his hands, and not to worry but for my own welfare."

"That is not what I meant. I simply stated that you stop worrying if their is a life after your death. It serves no purpose. In that respect this Preacher was correct. However, your welfare is not determined by you alone, so it is in your best interest to worry about the world around you as well.
This is another of our beliefs. The greater good of all is the concern of all. Every person in our society is in some small way responsible for every other person. It is the only way to survive the chaos."

"Yeah, but you give up so much of your freedoms in that."

"What are freedoms but means to a selfish end? The self is the whole, you are not if we are not. What you so ignorantly call freedom is just the chaos of the unknown. It is in that unknown that potential destruction breeds. All aspects of a society, if it is to function efficiently and in a way that proves non self-destructive, must be monitored. Our monitoring is to the barest minimal necessary to maintain that society. It prevents corruption on all levels that leads to destruction of the whole."

Jim whistled as Resoh finished. "I was right, you are a fancy speaker. And a lot of what you say makes sense, but it is human nature to distrust something that limits our chaos."

"Only because you have not grown into a society such as that which I came from. You see the limiting of your chaos as an attempt to control your people, but yet you wish to maintain the order through laws."

"But you don't understand, those laws are there to protect the people from those who would do harm."

"Yes, and those who can do harm also take advantage of those same laws. Your society is too... loose when it comes to enforcement and laws. The Police force I have seen is a joke of an excuse for control. They must learn to use more strength in their enforcement."

"So you would condone brutality of the innocent..."

"There is no such thing as an innocent, Jim." Resoh stopped him from responding with a hand held high. "In the Establishment, when a crime is committed, all those around are locked down. A Guide and a squad of Seekers are brought into investigate. A judgment is rendered from the evidence, and those responsible dealt with according to the laws. Those attempting to flee are considered guilty of a crime and stunned. They are then taken to a holding area where they are interrogated. No brutality, our technology is more than enough to get us the answers we seek. Those not guilty will be released on a restricted movement's contract, for fleeing a crime seen is an offense in itself."

"Quite efficient, what do you do if there is no evidence or witnesses?"

"There are always witnesses. Perjury, no matter how honorable the cause, is punished by a most painful death. We do not like to inflict pain, but when it concerns the greater good, no price is too high." His expression to Jim brokered no room for argument. After a moment of silence, he smiled disarmingly. "It is rare the punishment has been given out, but when it is, we make it public. Lead by example, we find it works best."

"I am sure. So let me get this straight, you put liars to death?"

"In its most basic principals, yes."

Jim started to laugh as he slapped Resoh on the shoulder. "Damn, Humans would be extinct because we lie almost on a daily basis."

Resoh seemed alarmed at this. "You have been lying to me?"

"No, I mean not that I know of. It is just that people make small lies all the time for the comfort of others. Like when you tell somebody you like their clothes when the sight of them makes you glad you aren't straight."

"This is most disturbing." He said this in such a grave tone, Jim started to cough from laughing too hard. "We teach our children from the beginning it is better not to lie. Honesty is best when dealing with others. It leaves no room for misunderstandings in the future."

"Have you lied to me?"

"No, but I have not told you everything I know, either. Another thing is that we believe no one can know another completely."

Jim took a long look at Resoh as the Nebari watched him in return. "What else is there that is important that you haven't been telling me?"

"Nothing of important, just a curiosity."

"And what is that?"

"Your people seem to have almost no problem excepting my race, why is that? The history of your species suggests that we would be more likely to be slaughtered." There was something about the way he said it that made the other man feel uncomfortable.

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"You are lying to me!"

"I... Yes, I lied. It is just so hard to accept that which is different."

"But we are."

"No, you are just.... you. The others are so much like us, it is hard to believe that you are anything but human." Jim shrugged as he looked down at the fish. "I mean, I have seen you naked, all of you. Have you people no sense of modesty? You walk around looking like you do, and expect me to see a difference. There is nothing I haven't seen or been around with you that I haven't experienced with the military or college."

This made Resoh smiled. "They why is it so hard for you to accept these so called 'Martians'? They are no more different than any of my people. In fact they are more human than mine own. For starters my penis turns dark blue when...."

"Way too much info, Resoh!"

"I would think not, I have noted your curious observations of mine and the other's bodies. Have you noted a difference than your own?" The Nebari's clinical stating of such matters seemed to be subconscious.

Coloring bright red, Jim coughed to cover up his discomfort. "There are a few. But then again, any normal red blooded American male would look. I mean you are... you're a freakin alien!"

"It is nice that you have noticed the scientific applications. It was beginning to seem like you were only interested in a purely sexual nature."

Jim choked as he was taking in air. Gasping for breath, he started to turn purple. When Resoh hit him on the back to help him breathe, he flew into the fish pool. As he came up sputtering, he wiped the hair out of his face. "Where in the hell," he took a deep breath, "did that come from?"

Resoh raised an eyebrow cocking his head. "Are you denying this?"

"Well no, but..."

"I have also observed your body. Our physical resemblance is a subject of great interest to my people. It makes us wonder if we are genetically compatible. What do you think?"

"I think... Oh lookie there, its Jack. Jack!" Jim climbed out of the pool and nearly to reach Jack Crichton. When the other man had stopped to wait for him, Jim did run. "Resoh has been curious about the black arm bands, who died?"

Jack sighed as he saw the Nebari guide following closely behind at a leisurely walk. "My son, the president has announced to the public that new evidence has been found that John is dead. He won't say what evidence, but that it was personal enough for me to identify it. The public funeral is later on today."

"How, I mean why? I thought the funeral your family held was a month ago."

"It was, but the boys in the board have been debating over the body of Julon, and only yesterday was it released to be autopsied. That is bureaucracy for you."

"You mean you have not yet dealt with the Hybrid?"

Jack stared in open mouthed shock at the clear English spoken by Resoh. "How did you... You can speak?"

"Since I was two cycles old." Resoh smiled politely as he tried to ease the shock. "I know it is unfamiliar, but please be patient I am still learning your language."

Finally shaking it off, Jack nodded. "I'll do my best. I mean I heard rumors, but nothing concrete."

"Thank you. Now if you will permit me, I have a request."

"It depends on what you want, but I will see what I can do."

"I thank you for this as well. My request is that I be present at this autopsied you have suggested must take place. Nebari Hybrids are rare, and I wish to understand what made it. Since we can not ask him, we may be able to understand by his body."

Thinking on this, he shook his head in affirmation. "I don't see why this would be a problem. You may be able to offer us insight as to what is what in the organs, and how he came about. Answer me something first."

"If I can."

"You said that Nebari Hybrids are rare, that means there have been others in the past. How rare are they?"

"As far as the Establishment knows, there has only been one other. It is something we do not care to discuss." Resoh watched Jack's reaction and added, "we were betrayed by what we thought would be a loyal citizen. At the time of her conception, the Establishment was very much like your military, only a small part of our society. Had we been in control, such an occurrence would never have happened. Since then, it has been our policy to keep strictly with-in our own species where breeding is concerned."

"And you are curious as to who's been dipping their toes in someone else's genepool?"

"As always, Jim, crude but accurate."

"All right, consider it a sign of good faith. You answer our biology and social questions, and we will let you have access to the autopsy, and genetic material. Do we have a deal?" Jack held out his hand to Resoh, which the Nebari accepted.

"We do, Colonel Crichton."

"It is Jack, I retired my commission decades ago."

"Retired or not, you still retain the rank which you have earned." Resoh moved walked away leaving Jim and Jack to watch him.

"The ban is still in place, Captain. You even lay a finger on them in anything other than a respectable fashion and you will be separated. Now that we know they can speak our language, your position as interpreter is no longer secure."

Jim nodded. "Yes, sir, but it is so damn hard."

"I don't give damn about your physical condition."

"That is not what I meant! It is... you have no idea what they are like. They are a bunch of Hedonists. In their own words: The only reason they pair off is to reproduce and raise the offspring. When the child has matured into adulthood, he or she is sent for training at whatever profession would interest them. When all children have matured enough for the training, they
are no longer married and may do as they please. It is strictly forbidden for one of a mated couple with unmeasured or expecting offspring, to have a sexual relation outside the marriage. It could cause disruption in a family if a child was conceived from that union."

Jim made a cutting motion around his lower regions. "Infidelity is punished by the removal of reproductive organs. These people are really centered for a nuclear family. Other than that, they couldn't give too shits who you sleep with. And nudity! Behind the privacy screens you put up to separate the common and the living quarters, they have no problem with walking around naked as the day they were born. Hell, the Runners are a bunch of Conservatives compared to the Seekers. And that," He pointed at Resoh as he bent forward to feed the fish again, "is the biggest slut there ever was. They believe if you become bonded to your leader through physical contact, you are more likely to remain loyal, and trust him or her more."

Looking back to Jack, he clenched his fists at his side. "And god help us, I think it actually works. His people trust him implicitly, and there is no favoritism because they all get a piece of him. And because they all do each other, there is no sexual tension or harassment. They keep no secrets from each other, and they don't lie! All you have to do is ask them the right questions, and they will tell you what you wish to know. Just be careful how you word it, Resoh seems hell bent on removing me of all my inhibitions. It doesn't help that all his people are the same way. When I say the same way, I mean all of them have propositioned me. Heaven help me, I am thinking of converting. But only if the U.S. government says it is okay."

That actually had Jack laughing. "I know what you mean, we have been monitoring them, but I have also been in a similar situation. Just don't let your hormones get the better of you. We don't know anything about their biology, for all we know, they could be hosting enough STD's to wipe out our entire population."

"I'll keep my pants on, you can trust me. I won't be a Typhoid Mary for any new Israel Bacteria." Jim's cheeks colored as he looked away. "I'm sorry, sir, didn't mean you or any other Martian was bad. I just don't want to be responsible for the deaths of what is left of the Omega Gens."

"Don't worry about it, son. I'll tell your mother, she has been worried about you."

Jim looked away from Jack. "Please, don't call me that. It is still a sore subject."

"Ignoring who you are, won't change it."

"Yeah, but it sure in hell won't cause me as much grief as acknowledging it." Jim glared at him, his stance defiant. "What, would you have me tell them the truth? That even after you found out my mother was pregnant with your child, you still refused to marry her."

"It had nothing to do with who you were. It had everything to do with politics. She had a career ahead of her, and being associated with me at that time would have been career suicide."

Getting in the older man's face, he narrowed his eyes. "She would have gladly have paid the price."

"But I wouldn't! Damn it, Jim, you are still too young to understand why it had to be the way it was." When Jim tried to turn away, he grabbed his arm. "No matter what, I still care for her."

"Not enough to acknowledge your own!" He took a heaving breath as he fought to control his anger. "I earned my name, dad! I deserve the right to be called a Crichton! Is that why John went away? Because he had to earn the name as well?"

"Now you listen to me, you know nothing of that! He didn't leave because of me, I made peace with his decision to prove his name a long time ago. It was the only way he saw to out run what he thought was my shadow, to prove himself worthy. That was not my fault, I tried, god damn it, I tried! Now if you feel the name is worth the pain, then by all means, have it changed, I will acknowledge you as my youngest. But it won't change anything for you, in fact it will only look better for me, that I have lost my first son, but have another who may yet be. That will gain me plenty of public sympathy."

"Is that what I am to you, a means to gain public support?"

"No! You are a stubborn as John, and twice as hard of hearing. I am saying that it will only be used as a public and media spectacle. Especially now that John is dead. Think of all the ways your being named would look, especially seems how I will be the one in office when the president dies. They will think I was forming my own monarchy, lining up the heirs.Especially if I announce that my only remaining son is an Omega Gen. Talk about currying favor from all involved."

"Oh, nice, I love how you have managed to turn this all around to be about you, again." Glaring at the older man, he started to leave. "Just go, sir, before you say something that actually might resemble caring." As he walked, Jim ignored his father's plea to be heard.

After a few tries, Jack slumped his shoulders in defeat and left.

Jim threw himself on the couch, beside Resoh. "So now you know."

"What is that?"

"Don't pretend you didn't hear, I know how good your ears are."

"What he did to you and your mother is shameful. He would have been given the clamotte on my world."

"I know, but this aint your world, and I have to live with the shame that I will never have a father."

Resoh slid closer to Jim as the Human's hand sought out his own. "You have one, just not one that you are proud of."

"Where does he get off saying that it was about me, when he keeps on spouting how it would look for him? From the very beginning it was about his image, and how it would look if they knew he had gotten a girl knocked up at his age. I mean it wasn't like people didn't do it all the time." Jim leaned back against Resoh when the Nebari offered his shoulder.

"Do you not love your father?"

"That isn't the point, it is that I don't think he loves me. I could never be the son he wanted, never John. Always the replacement son, I had to do everything perfect. In the end, none of it mattered. It took me becoming an astronaut before he would even look at me, then it was to tell me he didn't want me to be one. I told him to go to hell. My mother was one, her father was one, my father was one, my brother was too, it only seemed natural I would be one. It was a family legacy, something I wanted more than anything. He told me no. Since then I have stopped trying to get his attention, and only talked when necessary."

"That is something that would never happen in our society."

Jim sat forward, taking Resoh's hand with him. "Tell me more about your society." He stood up, and looked down at the Nebari with a light hearted smile. "Where would I fit in your society?" With a gentle tug, he pulled the Guide to his feet.

"You would probably be in my squad. You seem to have skills that are necessary for a retrieval team."

"Seem to?"

"I would have to test your loyalty first. Then we would test your skills to see where you would best serve the greater good."

Giving the guide a sly smile, Jim lead him back towards the living area. "I have away we can do both."

"I do not believe that wise."

"Who cares about being wise? As far as this planet cares, I am on borrowed time. There isn't a thing they can do that isn't already being done now."

"If you were under my command, you would have to be disciplined for these thoughts and actions." They continued walking as the door to the living area opened and closed behind them.

Jim pulled him close and whispered in his ear. "Then what is stopping you?"

****

The man checked over his clip board and sighed. These things should have been have been changed into personal displays along time ago, but the Military budget was controlled by monkeys. Spending three thousand dollars to ship a toilet from the gulf coast to Kennedy Center was beyond ignorant. Somebody was embezzling. Tossing the ancient writing implement back in the wrack on the aging door, he opened it, and pulled out the tray.

"Well, looks like they weren't kidden, we got ourselves a real life alien." He cracked a smile at the body. "A real live dead one. Come on fella, gotta get you to the lab, those coats aint any more patient then the Marzies." About to lift the body on to the gurney for transport, he was stopped by a crashing sound. "What the fuck?"

He walked over to the other side of the room. Scattered across the floor were trays of autopsy tools. "All right, who is in here? Come out ya little bastard!"

The whirring of tiny motors echoed in the large empty morgue.

"Who is here? I'm warning you, I'm armed." He unholstered his Billy club and spun around fast. Freezing in confusion, the orderly watched as the small floor buffer shot across the floor ducking behind a trash can. When it was no longer in sight, he walked over slowly. It was no longer behind the trash can. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw movements in the shadows of the coroner's office. "I got you now!" He stormed over to the office door.

In the door way he stopped once more. On the walls, ceiling, and floor, little lights blinked at him. One near his foot started to screech at him as it stung him. "What the fuck?" A chorus of screeches greeted his words.

"I do believe you have upset their feelings."

"What the hell?" The orderly spun around, bringing up his club to hit the person behind him.

"Now, that isn't very nice." The Nebari gripped his hand crunching the bones as it released the club. "Now be a good Sebacean and there will be less pain."

"Fuck you," the orderly screamed at the him.

"Why must they always resort to violent behavior?" Twisting the hand, the Nebari brought it up behind the orderly's back. "Where is your commander?"

"Fuc... ahhh!"

"Do not fight me, you are no match. This can go smoothly if you would only cooperate. Now, please, tell me where the person in charge resides."

"On the other side of that door is a hall, man. Take it to the left, the people there will take care of you!" In the next instant, the alien broke his neck.

"Thank you, now was that so hard?" Looking down on the now screeching DRD's, Julon smiled. "I assume you know what I am looking for." They clicked in unison. "Please lead the way." As he stepped over the body of the orderly he muttered, "weak species!"

****

The door cycled open as she came aware of the world again. Her throat was still sore from her last attempt at screaming for help. It was abundantly clear there would be no escape, just as Mele-on had said. There were no techs, Peace Keepers, or any others come into at least check her condition. Food and water arrived from a hole in the wall. Packets slid out the tiny portal which sealed immediately after they did.

She had walked the confines of her cell more times than she cared to remember. It was the same length every time. Six strides one way, six the other. All was uniformly done, even the placement of the air vents. She would expect nothing less from the Peace Keeper Bitch!

Twice now she had come, and twice she had gone. The first was to confirm her fears about John and any hope of a rescue, the second had been to tell her someone had betrayed her location to the Peace Keepers. Who, she would not say. But it could be any one of the resistance, they didn't have an actual secure membership. However the way she had said it made her thinks she would
know who it was.

For two solar days she had scanned her memory, and come up with nothing. Who did Mele-on and she know. There were only a handful of people, and only two of those would betray her. Braca was dead, she knew him from a few encounters. John was dead, they had been together intimately. D'Argo was Hezmana knew where. Sparky wouldn't deal with the Peace Keepers if his life depended on it. Sikozu... had her own agenda, but hated Peace Keepers since Scorpius' betrayal, a woman scorned as John would say. And Wrinkles was dead, good riddance!

That left no one she knew.

Frell!

The main question was what did Grayza know about the Nebari? What was the relationship between her, and the Nebari. Clearly the woman hated them, but for what purpose? She had declared open war on them, out right genocide on all members of the Establishment. There were some serious personal issues with that Sebacean. 'You know, if she had white hair... Frell me!'

Sebacean females have black hair!

Hybrid Nebari have blue eyes, and those violets Mele-on supported were pretty frelling close. No one had seen a hybrid before, yet everyone knew that they had blue eyes. How had she not seen it before? All Nebari naturally have black eyes, the blue in the hybrids is because their bodies lack a certain neural transmitter that allows them to see in energy patterns. "That frelling bitch is one of us!"

"How very clever." Mele-on's voice carried out into the cell as she stood in the now closing door way. "I suppose it has taken you long enough."

Chiana cocked her head as she moved closer to the Peace Keeper. "Yeah well, they always did say I was kind of slow. Then again, I never really thought about it before." Chiana circled the smiling Commandant. "The next question is how."

"It matters not..."

"Why not tell her?" The mocking voice rang out before Noranti shimmered into existence. "Personally, I find your history rather boring, but it was enough to make the Nebari forbid breeding with other races."

"Old woman?"

"Traskin Bitch!" Mele-on's question was overshadowed by Chiana's scream. "Where is my child? So help me, if you've harmed one hair on her!"

"Silence insolent child. Your threats have no effect on me, then or now. The same goes for you, Grayza, I am beyond either of your reaches."

Chiana walked up to the old woman and stared her in the face. "If I have to tear this universe apart, I will. Even if I have to go to the furthest reaches of Hezmana, you will pay for what you have done." She backed away, head cocked with smile. "Just thought I'd let you know."

"Think of me what you will, but I will do what I must. I live only to serve the divine one, and his will is the only one I answer to." Both she and Chiana turned to the clapping Mele-on. "What are you going on about?"

"It is not many that will continue on using the same worn excuses for almost six hundred cycles."

"It is not an excuse, and I have been in his service a lot longer than the paltry six hundred cycles since your birth. Abomination they called you, and only I when no one else was there, took care of you."

"Yes, and a fine job of it, you did." Mele-on stalked over to the other two women. "Go on, then, tell her all about my heritage. About the years of service to the greater good that supposedly a Divine One had set us upon. I find it amusing now that I was so naive then. It is almost hard to believe that I was anything other than a Peace Keeper."

"The Abomination you are still. It is a shame I didn't kill you while I had the chance."

"Threaten me all you like, old woman, it makes no difference, as you are dead and your words but whispers in the wind." She laughed at the angry look from the old Traskin. "Did I tell you it was her that betrayed you? She still thinks somewhere inside me is young impressionable Nebari hybrid she can manipulate. What exactly she wanted you away from the Nebari for, I have no idea. It was a costly gambit, thanks to your little fighter squad I lost six carriers before it was over."

Chiana turned burning hatred on Noranti. "Why? You have done this to me twice. Haven't you caused enough suffering?"

"Yes, tell her, Noranti. Why did you practically give her to me?"

Noranti looked at her pleadingly. "It is not yet time for you to be reunited with the Nebari. Certain things must happen first. If you would but trust me..."

"Trust you! You killed my little girl!" Screaming in frustration, Chiana turned away. After another muted cry, she lowered her head to hide the tears.

"Ah, so the little healer was telling the truth." Grayza reached out a hand and cupped Chiana's face. "Don't think you are alone in this."

"Yeah, well what would you know," Chiana asked with more than a little resentful spite.

"More than you." She quickly removed her pale white hand from Chiana's face. Turning around, she walked to the edge of the room next to the bed. "Did you think you were the first one to have her life destroyed by this Trelkot? You are only her second Nebari victim. She has made a lifetime of interfering and destroy the lives of others. The moment I stopped believing her lies was the moment she took my own child away from me. In that moment I vowed to uncover her plots, and destroy everything she was working for. So far I have uncovered a great deal. Do you wish to hear them?" Her face never brake the amused tranquility as she spoke.

"Sure, why not?" With a twist of her body, she gestured for her to sit and tell.

Nodding once, she complied. "All my life, up to that point, I had believed I was a freak, something that had happened by accident. She did nothing to discourage this belief. My mother was born Zyloma Grayza of Dorelz Company, U-star Regiment. At that time, they were a on a recon mission to meet with a new species. One that might prove to be a valuable ally if only for their technology. Not much more was known about them." A faint smile curved her lips as she observed Chiana's rapt fascination.

"The Nebari at the time were closed borders empire, bent on discovering technology that would allow them to restore the balance of the universe. They believed that most races were a chaos that might infect their delicate sensibility if they exposed too much of themselves. When an entire Peace Keeper Command Carrier with the full Vanguard appeared, they took it to be an act of aggression. The entire fleet was destroyed by a Standard Host Vessel. However there were a few Peace Keepers that survived, as slaves.

"A Nebari Captain at that time had certain privileges. My mother was a pleasure slave that he claimed for his victory. She ended up falling in love with him because unlike the others, he was gentle with her. He kept her like one does a favored pet, and she enjoyed the treatment and lavish affection. Two cycles later she bore me, and he was transferred back to the home world, we went with him. Seems they had never heard of a hybrid child born. Nebari are genetically notorious for being incompatible."

Snorting, Chiana rolled her eyes. "Seems nothing changes with them."

"In that, I believe you are correct." Mele-on shifted her weight as she assumed a more comfortable position. "I was studied from the first monen of my life until I was sixteen cycles old. Then I was rescued by what I thought was a kindly old woman. She had taken me from my rooms one night as the entire complex had been put to sleep. Eager as I was to learn, she was willing to teach. She taught me everything about what I really was, about the Peace Keepers, and how to survive in the universe.

"You can imagine I was very grateful for her help. In fact I allowed her to talk me into seducing a young Sebacean Peace Keeper. We spent one night together, and I left the following morning. Five monens later the first symptoms of Nebari pregnancy struck. Another twelve monens after that, my daughter was born. Then she was snatched from my arms by that Frelling Bitch!"

Chiana jumped at the venom in the normally reserved voice.

Mele-on waited until she was sure her feelings were made clear before continuing. Though she had not changed her expression once, her voice now carried an under current of soul born hatred. "She left me on that freighter bound for the middle of Scarran space. I would spend the next six cycles drifting from one place after another like you did, my dear.

"In all this time, Zyloma had gone so far in her defection as to adopt a Nebari name, Kilna. She was accorded the respect and position that went along with being the mate of a high ranking Nebari. It didn't matter they had given up their child to be studied by a group of monsters. All she cared for was her new life. It would be the last thing she knew.

"When I found the Peace Keepers, they had no idea what had happened to the U-star." As she told this part, her voice returned to the normal air of someone who expects others to pay attention. "I informed them, and they were most grateful, even sent me along with a Command Carrier of my very own. My sire had taken his mate with him on a rare scouting expedition beyond Nebari space. Their fleet was destroyed, he was vivisected while still alive, and she I dealt with personally. Being a recently created Regiment, I had the honor of giving them the name of what should have been my regiment.

"U-Tech was my creation, our first endeavor was the dissection of one of their ships. A lot of our present tech is based upon that design. This ingratiated me with the Supreme Council and I quickly earned the multifaceted rank of Commandant. One of their most favorite new tech was the control collar. You see, I was the one that adapted the collar for Leviathans that we may harness them. Having spent sixteen cycles wearing one, I grew intimate with the technology."

Grayza smirked at the hateful glare from both of the other women. "You are wondering why I would do such a thing. Three hundred cycles ago a lover of mine detected a Traskin on a passing Leviathan. It seems she has been using them for her base of operations for generations. And they don't mind, in fact they go out of their way to protect her. In retaliation for a particularly violent rebuttal against our efforts to locate her, I instituted the declaration that all Leviathans in Peace Keeper territory were to be collared."

"How could I ever think you were worth saving? You are an even greater monster than the Scarrans." Noranti looked her up and down in horror. "What did I let loose?"

Continuing on as if the old Traskin had not spoken, Mele-on had eyes only for the past. "Following this, I discovered on many Leviathans there was a secret compartment in which either she or her agents would ride. They sometimes left copies of their work in these compartments which the Leviathans would then ferry around the Galaxy like giant couriers. This had to be stopped and their cause discovered. After a great many Leviathans had been collared, the chambers stopped appearing. It seems their builders noticed I was on to them. No great matter, I had enough evidence to discover something about the Peace Keepers and their blood lines."

"No! You must not!" This time Mele-on did stop when Noranti called out to her.

"I will do as I please, you can not stop me."

"I won't have to." Noranti's image dissipated as the ship rocked. All around them the cell started to shake. Lights in the ceiling grew so bright they exploded from the power surge. The food hole kept opening and closing shooting out food packets.

Chiana looked at them and smiled. "So it was all automated!"

Mele-on had scrambled to her feet and made her way along the shaking wall to Chiana. "Take no chances, I have learned from out mistakes."

Chiana release a high pitched giggle. "Well it looks like all your technology is going to get frelled all to Hezmana."

"Not before we finish and I get what I want!" Mele-on grabbed Chiana and forced her to look at her. "What I discovered is their blood lines were being manipulated, not by them, but another race. I never found out who, but to what ends I have only recently discovered. They are making them susceptible to Hybridization. The Sebaceans are only one part of this. There are other races, when I studied Crichton's DNA, he was also a part of it. When combined with Sebacean, it has an unusual side effect." She smiled when Chiana looked at her with wide eyes. "Yes, did you think I would not study what they were doing?"

"You are a monster!"

"No! I am only figuring out what the real monsters were up to. I didn't create the Humans, or the Sebaceans. This is something that has been there since the beginning." The room shook again throwing them against the far wall violently. "Two solar days ago Officer Sun gave birth two twins. One pure Sebacean a combination of Scorpius' DNA and that of Officer Sun's, no trace of John's DNA was found but in one place. The child had the ability to regulate heat! Officer Sun was also given this ability. Something else happened, the twin, it was pure Scarran. At first we thought it was completely Scarran, but we discovered after the birth that most of the DNA it has is John's and Aeryn's. Their DNA mixed and formed a base pattern for that of the Scarran child.

"It seems they each have the same Genetic pattern as the Scarrans, plus that which them uniquely Human and Sebacean. But that which would make them a Scarran instead of Human or Sebacean is dormant."

Chiana looked at her with wide eyes. "Are you telling me that John had the DNA to be a Sebacean or Scarran?"

"A primordial one, but yes. He has the base DNA, but not the genetic structure needed to produce the body forms."

"What does that mean," Chiana screamed at her as the entire room rolled.

"It means that we were created from the same base DNA. That which makes us unique is from the planets of our Evolution, but that which created us is not!" The room had stopped spinning as the Gravity centered around the ceiling. Crawling to Chiana, she forced the younger woman to look at her. "Now you know! What in the frell are you hiding that Noranti is willing to kill two thousand Nebari and half a million Peace Keepers to keep from them?"

"I don't know!"

"Then why are you with them?" Grayza's face contorted in disbelief.

"I'm not telling you..." Grayza gripped her face, forced her to look her in the eyes.

"Who was your last mate?"

"Get frelled..."

"Who did you last frell?" Mele-on lifted her from the floor by her neck. "Don't make me ask you again."

Tears stung her eyes as she shook her head no.

"It was Crichton, wasn't it." When Chiana froze, Mele-on dark smile returned. "Well it seems I got what I wanted after all. You have just given me the last piece I needed. Thank you, Chiana." Throwing the girl against the wall, she walked out of the cell as the door cycled open.

When it didn't close, Chiana shook off the pain in her body and stumbled towards it. Just before she reached it, a figure stood there to be haloed by the lighting. She tried to raise herself off the floor, but the cramps hurt in her abdomen crippled all attempts. "No..." The figure was joined by
others. "No!"

"It's her!" Suddenly they piled into the room.

Chiana was about to protest when they picked her up, but she noted their outfits. "Helie..."

"Is waiting with our ships, your module has been prepped for launch is waiting for us. Can you walk."

Chiana shook her head slowly. "I think I can manage with help."

One of the males lifted her face. "Open your eyes." He gasped when she complied. Then suddenly he was smiling and clapping her on the back. "Congratulations. We can celebrate when we reunite with the rest of our Squad."

"Wha... what's happening?"

He smiled as he helped her limp to the docking bay. "You don't know?"

"I wouldn't be asking, you grebhol."

"Suit her up, she can find out for herself." He ran off to his own fighter as they entered the docking bay. Most of the bay was a smoldering ash from their weapons.

Chiana looked in undisguised wonder as the rest of her wing plus members of other wings jumped in their fighters. Three wing members stripped her of the prisoner's rags she wore, and put her back in her flight suit. When they put her helmet over her head, she started to react to their actions. "I can handle this part."

"Good, then get in your damn Module, this place is going to go up fast!" The wing member let her go and rushed to her fighter.

Chiana didn't stop to watch anything else as she climbed in the Module and sealed the hatch. It was completely intact, no damage. Memory returned, she had been about to ram when her module died. They had hit it with a singularity beam. The wing members had repaired the damage to the systems, she could tell by the few bare wires sticking out of some consoles. "Yeeeeehaaaaaa! Yai yai yai yai yai YEA!" She screamed again as the others repeated it over the comms.

Her module activated under her hands, and she locked control to manual. "Helie, systems active."

"Follow my lead, full burn once we clear the ship's hull. Let's go!" The fighters lined up their formations as they followed Helie out of the cargo bay.

"Why?"

"Why, Chiana? We don't leave our people behind, we aren't the Peace Keepers or Establishment! When we saw your ship attack the Command Carrier and they used an up to now Nebari weapon to disable you, we knew they couldn't be allowed to live. We had to get you back, it was the last order from our leader, Soren."

"Soren is gone?"

"Yes, he risked his own life to disable the Carrier's weapons so the rest of us could get in and get you. The rest of our Squad is still intact and I am now in command. We need you."

Chiana thought on it a moment. "As long as you need me, I'll be here."

"Thank you. I know you lost more than most of us when the Transport blew."

She didn't respond.

Helie's voice crackled over the comms again, this time playfully reprimanding. "What is this I hear about celebrating?"

"Chiana's got little nipper in the works," came the playful sing song of the male Nebari from earlier.

"Goldan! Is this true, Chiana."

"I.. I dunno."

"It is, she has the first signs, her eyes were black, skin pale, and the cramps started." Goldan was laughing with the others of her wing. Many congratulations came over the comms.

"Yeah, thanks." Chiana remembered what Mele-on had said and shuddered. What would this mean for her child? It would also explain how Crichton suddenly became a Nebari, and that M'Lila was also part his. Tears came to her eyes as she followed the fighters. Behind them the Carrier exploded, but Chiana barely registered the fact or the cheers that followed.

***

Jim smiled as he rolled off of Resoh's back. "That is a shiatsu massage. Now if you can do that, I'll be yours forever."

Resoh looked up at him, head cocked. "You already are."

Quirking a smile, Jim laid back against the headboard, arms over his head. "Be that as it may, I am still not satisfied with your handling."

"This is a problem that must be resolved at the earliest convince." He pulled Jim back to him by his legs. "You have yet to fully submit to my command."

"I told you only when you can guarantee me freedom from this world."

Letting him go, Resoh sat up on the edge of the bed. "Are you that impatient to be shown the horrors of this chaotic universe?"

"You can't show me things I haven't already seen. People augmented by machines to be better soldiers, genetic plagues that control entire populations, fanatics that kill whole species out of the name of some god. The Human race is more creative than you give us credit for." Jim scooted to his side, resting his head on Resoh's pale bare shoulder. "Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that the Humans were a long lost colony of these Sebaceans."

"Be careful what you say. The Universe has a tendency to do the things we least want it to do." Resoh brought him around to straddle his lap.

"Always have to prove you are the stronger one?" Jim scooted around till he found a comfortable spot on the Nebari's lap. Looking Resoh in the eyes, he smiled. "Yes."

"Then remove these restrictive garments." He let Jim stand up.

Turning his back to the Nebari, Jim hid a smile. "No peeking!" He bent forward and lowered his boxer to his thighs. "Make it quick." Jim hissed when he felt the stink. When it was over, he stood up and glared at the slightly smirking Nebari. Rubbing the sore spot on his ass, he pulled up his boxers carefully. "Bastard, you enjoyed that."

Resoh stood up and picked Jim up in his arms. "You are now a member of my team, that brand is a symbol of that. You are now mine, and everything you say will to me from now on will be only respectful."

"Not on your life, you son of Hezmot!"

Resoh looked at the owner of the voice, and narrowed his eyes. "So you finally wish to confront the inevitable."

M'Lila stormed up to them and threw Jim from Resoh's arms. "You will die now, Establishment Relc sucker!" She slashed out across his middle with a piece of jagged edged metal.

Resoh backed out of the way, barely missing the blade. "You might as well give up, you will not win. Why fight that which you know is the right way? We are all Nebari, come home, and all will be forgiven."

"Forgiven! You are the ones who have done the harm, not us! For all that you have done, you will die!" With that, she made another swing of the blade.

Clapping from the door distracted them from their fight. In full Nebari Blacks, leather from neck to shoes, Julon stood in the door way. He stopped when they stared at him in shock. "Oh my, have I interrupted your little game? I apologize for the distraction. Please, continue, it is most amusing."

"Who the Frell are you?"

"That kind of language is not necessary. We are civil beings, are we not?"

"Is this some kind of joke?" Jim was up and supporting a hurt shoulder. "I thought you were supposed to be dead."

"Oh, there is your misconception. I am quite alive, it was the previous host of this body that has vacated for me."

Jim gasped as the startling blues locked on his own identical ones. "It can't be."

"I assure you, it is. John Crichton is no more, I am all that is left. His memories, and all those emotions are still here, but he is not." Stepping into the room, he surveyed the mess. "I thought you would be more organized than this, Guide Resoh."

"I knew it!" M'Lila stared at them all with hate-filled eyes. "I knew John was working with the Establishment!" She charged Julon.

"I am afraid not, my dear." He caught her by the neck. "You killed him for nothing." At her startled look, he gripped her throat tight. "I was there, I saw what happened." The next instant, he grimaced as her neck separated under his vise grip. "Dreadfully sorry, forgot my hybrid strength. Oh well, she was a Nebari killer, and we can't allow that to go unpunished."

"Quite right," Resoh agreed.

Jim looked at the Nebari before him and grimaced. "John?"

"Julon actually." He smiled at Jim and Resoh. "Best be dressed and ready to go, we have but a few microts before..." The room shook as the lights went out. "Sorry, miscalculated. Get ready, the ship will be here soon." He looked only at Resoh. "I am afraid I did not have time to restrain her, by the time I had planted the diversionary bomb, and ordered the ship to come, her people had already put their plans in motion. You have lost but one crew member, and her people three. It is best that we leave all of them here, your ship is damaged and we will need all the resources to make the jump."

Resoh scrambled to put his uniform on. "Our Jump engine was damaged when we were sucked into that gravity distortion."

"Who said anything about using a jump engine?" Julon left the room at a quick pace as the other two put on their clothes.

Jim looked at Resoh and sighed. "Do you have any idea what he is talking about?"

"I have a thought, but I do not like the implications."

"What?"

Resoh zipped his jacket. "Wait, I do not wish to disturb you."

"Like that puts me at ease." Pulling on his second boot, Jim followed Resoh out hopping. Once in the common room, he sighed as the other Nebari seekers entered. "Looks like we are all here. What now."

"Duck."

Jim gave Julon a scrunched look. "What?"

Julon smiled as he kneeled. The complex shook as the others quickly followed suit. "As I said, duck." The Star Runner came screaming to a halt above the building, the glass roof shattering. "Man, I'll never get tired of that. Cowboy diplomacy is the only way to go. We have a few microts before they figure out what the hell I have done, now get your emas on that ship!"

Jim watched in fascination as the Runner activated a light from the center that made a silver shaft to the floor in front of them. One by one the Seekers ran to that spot and floated up into the ship. Resoh smiled at him, grabbed his hand, and jerked him to the light. Jim felt a weightlessness as he floated up to the Star Runner. Once inside he was pushed out of the way as six more Nebari floated up.

Julon walked over to the light as several armed Humans ran in. He turned and smiled as Jack followed them. Cocking his head to the side, he waved at the older man.

Jack held up the necklace. "Did you leave this for me?"

"You'll need it more than me. Every man gets to be his own kind of hero, Jack, time to be mine. Still no rattlers, dad." He backed up into the light, and was sucked up into the ship. When he disappeared inside, the light turned off and the ship took off shaking the complex once again.

Jack watched with tears in his eyes. "So it wasn't over." Clutching the puzzle necklace, he turned and stormed out of what was left of the common room.

In the Star Runner, Julon saw a crowd at the command entrance. "Won't let you in?"

Resoh nodded once.

"Good, they still follow orders. DRD's, they sometimes have a mind of their own." His words were greeted with outraged clicks and squeals. "Okay, sorry guys. Time to let me have control of navigation." John slid into the pilot's seat and strapped himself in. "Oh, Resoh, you might want to tell your people to buckle up."

"Why, what are you doing?"

Julon laughed at the apprehension in Resoh's voice. "We are going to open a worm hole. So please lock your tray tables in the upright position and hold on to your emas, cause this is going to be a bumpy ride!" As they cleared the atmosphere, Julon smiled. "Time to go." He dove back towards the atmosphere accelerating their speed. Spinning towards the planet, he gunned the engines to full power.

"Stop, you are going to kill us all!"

Julon only laughed as the craft shook. He fired the main weapons at a point directly ahead. The ship shot into the energy backlash and disappeared.

****

Novia stood at the edge of the landing field, Sikozu at her side. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Yes, Empress. I believe we have a can work together." Sikozu straightened up as the large bulk of the Peace Keeper tech landed in front of them. Several fighters and attack ships baring the royal crest landed beside it, guards climbed out. "Prepare yourself, Empress, this will not be pleasant."

"I know, but there is really no way around it."

"Unless you wish to disregard my advice and blow them to Hezmana."

Novia laughed at Sikozu's antics, but silence when the Peace Keeper ship opened. The circular door rolled open with a whine. Six guards came out, weapons at the ready. "Lower them if you wish to live!" Her strict order met with no resistance as they dropped the pulse riffles. "Such mindless obedience, I would expect nothing less from our Peace Keeper cousins."

"Ah, Empress Novia, I had hoped we would meet again." The smooth cultured voice floated out from the hatch before Scorpius appeared. "And the Kalish trader, Sikozu, how wonderful it is to see you doing well."

"Can it, Scorpius. I have had enough of your sweet tongued lies." Sikozu smirked at his growl. "Where is she?"

"I believe you are referring to the Commandant. I am afraid she has been detained inside. It seems she has had a recent brake through and wishes to check her findings first."

"There is no need to make excuses for me, Commander Scorpius. I have completed that. This is something I would willing put aside my work to deal with." Mele-on came out of the hatch extending a hand to Scorpius to help her down from craft. "Thank you, Commander. Now as I was saying, thank you for allowing us to land on your moon, Empress."

"Shall we dispense with the pleasantries, I grow tired of games." Novia waited for Mele-on to nod. "Good, now I let you on my moon for one reason, you can give me something I want. I, in return, can do the same for you."

"It seems we are to be allies."

"Yes, but I want something more permanent." She walked to the Commandant with a confident stride. "We both know the Peace Keepers are doomed. The Sebacean forces are to fall under my control, and you will answer only to me. In return, you will have access to all our technology and genetic research."

"I am impressed by your generous offer. But what makes you think I would have the power to hand over the Peace Keepers? And if I could, why would I?"

"Because, Commandant," Novia gave her a feral grin, "if you don't, there is a band of Nebari Resistance members in orbit that are celebrating their victory over your entire fleet. I would be more than happy to turn you over to them. They have put a bounty on your head, and the tech they offer in return is more than little tempting. Especially with the threat of the Nebari hanging over our heads. So what will it be, Commandant, me," she turned and pointed to the flashes of light in the sky, "or them. Choose, Commandant. Know that either way, my family will have the Peace Keepers once more under our control."

"Bravo, I do believe she has us in quite a bind. Whatever will you do, my Commandant?" In the next instant, Scorpius found himself on the ground, a smiling Commandant standing on his neck.

"I believe we have a deal, Empress."

Taking Mele-on's arm in her own, Empress Novia walked towards her transport. "It wasn't like you had a choice this time, Mele-on."

"I tried," Grayza offered.

"Yes, but I once again have beaten your forces." Novia looked smug in her triumph. "You were always so focused on your wants, that you lost sight of your goals."

"That is what I came here for, though now it seems I shall not have it the way I intended." Her voice continued on in the faintly amused tone. "Since you will need to know, I believe it best to tell you I have made some shocking discoveries about our species."

Novia nodded. "I suspected as much."

Sikozu watched in shock as the two women disappeared in the Transport.


To be concluded in part 4, Julon Crion: Forever.