TITLE: "THE EDGE OF THE ABYSS"

AUTHOR: Alison M. DOBELL


FANDOM: "Farscape"

PAIRING: JOHN/CRAIS

RATING: NC-17. M/M. *SLASH*

STATUS: New.

ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.

FEEDBACK: Welcomed

EMAIL: AlisonMDobell@aol.com

SERIES/SEQUEL: SEQUEL to "MY ENEMY, MY FRIEND"

WEBSITE: http://www.carlajane50megs.com/Ali00

SUMMARY: "Crichton learns more about the Builder. Scorpius lays his trap and Moya is oblivious to the fact that time is running out for all of them."

The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.



"EDGE OF THE ABYSS"
"a Farscape" slash story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL
* * * * *



Crichton finished the repair on the DRD. Blue waved his stalks gently at Crichton and Crais could almost swear he heard little electronic noises twittered and beeped in the human's direction. Crichton had his head just inches from the little DRD, his head tilted, his face enraptured with the joy of discovering his plan had worked. Crais smiled. Watched the other two DRD hover near but not join in. It looked for all the universe as if they did not want to interrupt. Ridiculous. Crichton was smiling as something rapid but muted spilled from the little DRD.

"You're welcome, Blue. Happy to help."

He looked across at the other two. "You too, guys, couldn't have done it without you."

They waved their stalks and nudged Moya's little spy. Crichton patted his shell. "You'll be fine, Blue. I'll be fine. Now you kids go play. Just remember to play nice."

He lifted the DRDs down and Crais watched all three trundle away, the one with the blue tape pausing to look back at Crichton as if wanting to be reassured that the human really was going to be alright. When they had gone Crais cleared his throat slowly. "There is something I must tell you, John."

He closed the gap between them in a half dozen strides, touched Crichton's cheek gently so he would know where he was, brushed his lips with his thumb before stealing a kiss. He straightened, sighed, then pulled up a chair and opened his arms as Crichton leaned in to him, guiding the human into the circle of his embrace. Their intimacy so natural now it was almost a casual thing. Crichton drank in that deep voice, letting it soak through every pore in his body as he listened and luxuriated in his touch. Let it cloak him, feed him, soothe the trapped beat of his aching heart. Crais stroked him gently, his fingers tracing their way from his face and down his throat, now sliding down his vest thoughtfully as he spoke. "I have been speaking to Talyn and what I have learnt has disturbed me."

Crichton was hardly aware of what he said, just lost in the rumble of his voice, inhaling his scent, lost in his touch. "Mmmm?"

"While you slept - the *reason* you slept was Talyn - he introduced chemicals into your bloodstream first to relax you then to rob you of consciousness."

Crichton drifted in Crais's embrace, only half listening.

"He then fastened one of his appendages - what you call a tube - on to your penis, John. It brought you to orgasm almost continuously as you slept."

That got through to him. He tensed. "What?"

"Yes, John." Murmured Crais as he kissed his ear, deepened his caresses with gentle care. Hiding as he did so his anger behind the iron restraint of an implaccable will. "Somehow he managed to seduce you into producing more and more semen. Do not ask me how. That is why you grew so weak, why you are *still* weak. Why he wanted you to sleep so you would not notice."

Crichton was shocked. "You mean he was milking me? Why the hell would he do that?"

Crais shook his head and tried to calm him with his touch. Did not want him to get upset. Somehow hoping to fix this. "I do not know. The seed of a human is of no use to a leviathan."

The human sounded confused as well he might. "It's not?" There was a pause. Crais could almost hear him trying to work it out in his head. "Maybe it was curiosity, Bialar. He saw us making out and wanted to try it for himself. See what it was like."

Crais slid his hands up under the front of Crichton's vest, the human lying back in his arms, back resting against the former Peace Keeper's chest. Crichton sighed as Crais stroked him. Calming, soothing, comforting, loving. "For *three* solar days?" Crais asked softly.

<Three days? Was it really that long? God what was going on here?>

While Crais was speaking Crichton started to remember something. Something he had dismissed as nothing more than a dream. "I had the strangest dream, Bialar."

Crais kissed his cheek, his lips gently easing a path to his ear. Trying not to distract him with too much sensation as he rubbed his thumbs across his nipples. It was hard to hold back. "What dream?"

"I don't know, it was weird. There was this fog, all white and wispy like clouds or vapour. This guy was dressed all in white, spoke as if he was some kind of head honcho."

"Honcho?" Mumbled Crais as he trailed gentle kisses down his neck, slowly working his way back towards his ear. Enjoying the shiver of anticipation as he licked then sucked his earlobe.

"A boss, someone in power. He told me his name was Tahanay or something like that. That he was a Builder."

Crais froze. "He said that?"

"Yeah." He chuckled softly. "Said he could make me immortal. I didn't believe him."

A hint of steel crept into Crais's voice. His hands broke off their caress. He straightened. "We have got to get out of here. Now!"

Crichton sat up, alarmed. "What? Why? It was just a dream."

"That was no dream, John."

"It wasn't?"

"No. If we stay here you will die." He paused, sorry for alarming him. "The Builders do not *create* life, they mould it which is why they are drawn to the leviathan spawning grounds. Why our coitus drew Tahanay to us through our link with Talyn."

"I thought you said my semen was useless to them?"

Crais sighed, his voice troubled. His hand gently stroked his lover's face as he watched the way the lights from the ship reflected in his sightless eyes. His voice firm but infintely gentle. Almost too much love for one heart to hold. "It is. I do not think they want your semen, John." He said softly. "They want your DNA..."

* * * * *

Aeryn had been checking her prowler, now she was running, heart pounding, back to command. The barely surpressed excitement in D'Argo's voice spurring her on. When she got there everybody else was already crowded around the clamshell screen. Chiana turned her head, a bright happy smile on her face.

Aeryn frowned. "What? What is it?"

"It's John," Said D'Argo.

Her heart juddered. She took a deep breath. "Let me see."

A space was made for her and Pilot showed the transmission again. The picture blurred a little then they could clearly see Crichton tilting his head up close to the DRD, looking for all the world as if he was concerned about the little biomechanoid droid rather than his own predicament. His head seemed tilted as if he was listening rather than looking. She swallowed hard. Knowing that he still could not see. He looked good though, his voice calm and warm, gently mocking but in a caring way. It brought the threat of tears to her eyes. She missed him. They all did. She just had not realised how much. The image swayed in and out of focus for a microt then she could see Crichton smiling into the lens as if the DRD had just said something to him.

*You're welcome, Blue. Happy to help.*

Aeryn smiled, it was so like him.

*You too, guys, couldn't have done it without you.*

She frowned. Who was he speaking to now? Chiana chuckled and was immediately hushed by D'Argo who wanted to hear what else he had to say. The image juddered slightly as if jarred.

*You'll be fine, Blue. I'll be fine. Now you kids go play. Just remember to play nice.*

D'Argo shook his head at the human's comments. Zhaan was smiling. "This is good news, Pilot."

"Yes, Zhaan. We know that John is alright and it does not appear that Crais is mistreating him."

"He looks happy," Agreed Aeryn reluctantly.

Zhaan shot her a look. "Appears?"

"We still don't know what is going on, Zhaan."

"I know Aeryn, but with the DRD able to communicate with Moya again that should no longer be a problem."

"Look at it this way." Said Chiana brightly. "John's alright. Talyn's fine. And Crais - well, Crais is Crais. All we have to do is follow the signal."

Aeryn looked at Pilot's image in the clamshell, he spoke before she could ask. "Moya is already working on it."

She smiled. Her heart starting to feel lighter. She turned to leave command and go back to her prowler when she noticed Rygel. He had been so quiet that she had not noticed he was there. She frowned. "Rygel?"

He had an odd expression on his face. Aeryn gave him a suspicious look. "It's not like you to have no opinion, Rygel."

"Who says I have no opinion?" He grumbled. He fell silent as if reluctant to say more.

"So what do you think, frog boy?"

"Stop calling me that!" He snapped at Chiana.

Zhaan looked troubled. "What is it Rygel?"

"Crichton went with Crais of his own volition. I think we're making a mistake following him expecting him to want to come back to Moya."

D'Argo frowned. "Why?"

"He looks......happy."

D'Argo was starting to get annoyed. "He is happy on Moya."

The Hynerian muttered something and turned his thronesled to leave. Aeryn gripped the edges. "If you have something to say Rygel, say it, or shut the frell up."

"I'm just saying, don't expect him to thank you for charging in to rescue him."

"Why not?" Growled D'Argo.

Rygel raised his eye ridge. "Did he *look* like he needed rescuing to you?"

"What's that got to do with it?"

"Everything. Crichton isn't stupid. He knows the DRD is from Moya, he even spoke to him, called it by that ridiculous name."

"Your point." Growled D'Argo.

"My point Luxan is this. He spoke to the DRD. Why didn't he speak to US?"

* * * * *

It was so quiet on the Nebari ship that Orla could have been forgiven for thinking she was on her own but she knew better. Knew Zarok only spoke when he wished to ask a question or impart some piece of his vision. His wisdom. She examined the collar's control mechanism again, nodding to let Zarok know she was ready. He tested it again and again until he was satisifed with the response then began to painstakingly put the whole thing back together again. "Bring up the last record we have of Moya."

Orla nodded and did so. Zarok did not read the record, simply keyed in the information he wanted. The leviathan's energy signal downloaded into the data banks. Then carefully he instructed the ship to search and seek for that signal. Once found they would follow. After sending an update to Scorpius. Of course.

* * * * *

He tried again but Crichton could not bring himself to eat. Crais frowned. Concerned. "You have to eat, John."

"I can't."

"Please," Began Crais, selecting the best of the food for Crichton. Choosing protein over carbohydrates.

He sighed softly. Unable to refuse him anything even though his stomach started heaving as he put the first bite sized piece into his mouth. It was too hard, too solid. It made him gag. Crais was getting anxious. "I don't understand..."

"It's okay," He said softly. "I think it's because Talyn's been feeding me Crais. You know, through the tube. I haven't eaten anything solid in weekens."

His lover cursed, of course. Crichton reached up and smoothed the frown away with a gentle hand.

"You must eat." Crais paused, an idea forming. "I will help."

Crichton wondered what he had in mind. Crais chose a piece of the pronga meat. "This," He said softly, "Is pronga meat, it is full of protein, John. It is also very tasty." He placed the sinewy meat into his mouth and started to chew, masticating it down into a pulp but not swallowing. He rubbed his thumb across Crichton's mouth, teased the lips apart then kissed him, gently transferring the mushy pulp into his mouth, caressing it from his tongue onto Crichton's. "Come on, you try it..."

"I don't think I can Bialar." He mumbled round the meat.

Crais swirled the soft pulpy mixture around inside Crichton's mouth, caressing the food against his tongue so that he would get the flavour of the meat, all the while making encouraging noises in the back of his throat. Crichton could not help but taste it as he tasted him. It was good, and easier to take down and swallow than he had expected. As the first mouthful disappeared he felt Crais's lips curve into a happy smile, his tongue caressing Crichton's before he murmured into his throat. "You see, you can do it. That's good John, very good."

"Bialar, this is gonna take arns if you have to feed me every scrap of..."

Another part chewed mouthful was introduced into his mouth. A different texture from the pronga, more like the grolak he had once shared with D'Argo on one of the commerce planets. At least Crais was not asking him to eat Hynerian Marjohls. This was better, easily digested and a pleasing flavour. He ate like that for several microts, surprised to find out how hungry he was. Crais varying the textures as he went from the meat to the various roots that made up the usual Sebaccean diet and back again. Crais patiently chewing the food first then feeding it to him with a kiss, each time his tongue lingering a little longer in his mouth to caress his tongue gently and encourage him to swallow it down. In this way all the food ended up tasting of Crais. A wonderful flavour that sweetened every morsal better than tulan relish. Each mouthful left them in a deeper kiss than last time, until the food all gone they were lost once more in pleasing each other.

It was something tapping against Crichton's foot that roused him from his slowly building passion. Something penetrating his mind with vague urgency. Crais drew a hand down his chest, sliding down to his crotch to cup and stroke him making him hitch a breath as he paused. The tapping grew harder then when he failed to respond something sharp stung the bottom of his leg and made him cry out. "Ow! What the frell was that?"

Crais pulled back thinking he had hurt him.

"Not you, Bialar. Something just stung me."

His friend frowned then heard a very soft whir at his feet. His look darkened as he looked down. The little DRD fired another shot making Crichton jerk his leg back and strike his calf against the bulwark. "What the..?"

"It seems your little DRD friend is trying to get your attention."

"Oh."

Crais stepped back, curious. Luckily they were both still dressed but Crichton was imagining the kind of images the droid could have been sending back to Moya. He felt embarrassed, as if he had been caught behind the bike shed at school when he should have been in class. He crouched down and felt for the DRD. His hand gentle, not wanting to hurt the little fellow. "Okay Blue, you've got my attention. What's up?"

The DRD rolled up against his foot, then backed up a couple of microdench and rolled into him again. "I think he wants me to follow him, Bialar."

Blue was beeping and making odd little electronic sounds that mimicked excitement. "Yep," Said Crichton more assured now. "That's exactly what he wants."

Crais shook his head with faint humour. "Very well, if the DRD will lead I will come with you."

He watched the little droid wave his light stalks from Crichton then towards him as if deciding whether or not this was a good idea. Crichton tilted his head, hearing what sounded like query in the little DRDs circuits. "It's okay Blue, I trust him."

The DRD spun round and trundled out. Crais placed Crichton's hand on his shoulder as he led him after the droid. Crichton chuckled softly and even Crais found a smile forming on his lips. He was surprised to find that they were being led to the cargo hold. Crais informed Crichton, though having familiarised himself with the layout of Talyn he had a good idea of where they were going. What he could not figure was why. "What do you suppose this is all about, Bialar?"

The former Peace Keeper shrugged. His deep voice rumbling like velvet against Crichton's ears. "I have no idea. The DRD seems to be completely fahrbot."

"You can't have a fahrbot robot," Chuckled Crichton.

"What?"

"Robot. It's like a droid you programme."

"You programmed this DRD?" He asked in surprise.

"No. If anyone programmed him it'd be Moya, but he has his own personality."

"So I see." Said Crais drily.
.
The DRD stopped in the centre of the cargo hold and Crais noticed some of Talyn's DRDs grouped discreetly to one side. He frowned. Crichton wondered what was going on. "Okay, Blue, what was so important you had to drag me down here?"

Instead of the little beeps and whirs of the DRD a cultured voice spoke. He felt all the hairs on the back of his neck rise up. "The DRD did not want to see you John Crichton. *I* did."


* * * * *
END