AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is a story/song I have been working on for about a week, trying to find just the right words for Roy and John to share. I tried to keep it short but they wouldn't let me. Too much to say.

COPYRIGHT 08/99,

BY: Kathy

DISCLAIMER: THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: The Anniversary Gift

Author: Kathy

Part: Complete

E-mail: kathyb1960@webtv.net

Rated: NC-17

Pairing: Johnny/Roy

Archive: Heart Attack (but only if you really want to)

Content Warning: Just kissing and dancing while sharing their love in words and songs.

 

THE ANNIVERSARY GIFT

By Kathy

Johnny and Roy have been together for a year as life partners. They have been lovers for over three years. Two years ago, Joanne left Roy and remarried six months later. She knew Roy was in love with Johnny, and she has supported them any way she could.

As their first anniversary approached, Johnny asks Dixie if she would get the gang together to record a special song he knows Roy loves. Dixie gets Joe to play the piano, and asks Joanne, Hank & Emily, Mike & Linda, Marco, and Chet, along with a couple of nurses, to join them in the recording of the tape. Johnny only asks that he be able to be there.

The day they record the tape. they gather at Joe's house. Joe plays the piano, while Dixie, and the others practice. Johnny sits over to the side on the couch observing. When they finally record the song, everyone is in tears. Hank and Emily offer to have a dinner party at their home the night before Roy and Johnnys anniversary. and they will present the tape to Roy, but allow them to dance, if they wish.

On the day of the dinner party, the guys get off at 8:00 am. At 3:00 pm Johnny leaves to go over and help Hank and Emily get ready. Chet picks up Roy and brings him at 6:00. They have an enjoyable meal, with lots of laughter and stories. When they finish eating, Hank stands up.

"Everyone, lets move into the den." Hank escorts his wife into the den, with the others following. Joe Early sits down at the piano. "Roy, will you and John please stand over here by the fireplace." Roy looks at Johnny, and they stand up, walking hand in hand over to where Hank is. "Tomorrow is Roy and Johns one year anniversary of their lifetime commitment. "Roy, " Hank turns to Roy, "John has a little surprise for you, but John," turns to look at John. "what you didn't know, was that Roy also has planned a surprise for you!" Roy and John look at each other with shocked looks on their faces. "Okay, first we are going to have John give his gift to Roy." Hank moves out of the way. to stand over by the piano. As John takes Roys hands in his he looks deep into his sky- blue eyes. John has to clear his throat before he can begin. Neither one of them notice the others moving over by the piano. Joe begins to play softly, as they Johnny speaks to Roy.

"Roy," Johnny begins, "I love you so much. I know there is a special song that you have always loved and I have asked our friends to help me with my gift for you. Roy, I love you today more than yesterday, but not nearly as much as I will tomorrow. I want to ask you, as they sing this song, if I may have this dance?" Johnny finishes with tears streaming down not only his face, but also everyone else in the room. Roy just nods and Johnny takes him in his arms, as the piano begins to play The 12th Of Never. A big smile crosses Roys face, and he kisses John as they begin to dance. Hank and Dixie sing the first part of this song.

You ask how much I need you
Must I explain
I need you oh my darling
Like roses need rain
You ask how long I'll love you
I'll tell you true
Until the Twelfth of Never
I'll still be loving you

The whole group begins to sing as Roy and Johnny hold each other close, dancing but barely moving.

Hold me close
Never let me go
Hold me close
Melt my heart like April snow

Mike, Linda, Joanne, and Marco sing the next verse, tears streaming down their face.

I'll love you 'til the bluebells
Forget to bloom
I'll love you 'til the clover
Has lost its perfume
And I'll love you 'til the poets
Run out of rhyme
Until the Twelfth of Never
And that's a long, long time

Everyone joins in on the chorus, and repeat the last phrase again.

Hold me close
Never let me go
Hold me close
Melt my heart like April snow

I'll love you 'til the bluebells
Forget to bloom
I'll love you 'til the clover
Has lost its perfume
And I'll love you 'til the poets
Run out of rhyme
Until the Twelfth of Never
And that's a long, long time
Until the Twelfth of Never
And that's a long, long time
A long, long time

There is not a dry eye in the room. As Joe continues to play softly, Hank takes Emily into his arms and dance slowly to the music, and are joined by Mike and Linda, Dixie and Kel, and Marco and Chet, each with a nurse. After a few minutes Hank clears his throat and resumes speaking. Roy and Johnny, still holding one another close, look up at him.

"Johnny, I believe Roy has something special for you."

As Roy looks deep into Johnnys beautiful brown eyes, but he is still full of emotion and so much love he can't speak. "Johnny, my friend, my lover. " He takes a deep breath, and tries to get control of himself again. He turns to Joe. "Dr. Early, will you please continue to play softly?" Joe resumes playing, and Roy turns to look at John again. 'Johnny this past year has been so special to me. I never knew so much love could exist between two people who share their hearts. Johnny, you are the other half of my heart. I have said I love you so many times and in so many different ways. that I wanted to think of a special way to express it to you as we celebrate our anniversary. Joe is going to play this song, but I am going to read the words, because there is no way I can sing right now." Roy takes Johnny hand and they sit down on the loveseat near the fireplace. Holding hands, Roy begins to speak.

When I first saw you, I saw love.
And the first time
you touched me,
I felt love.
And after all
this time,
you're still the one I love ..

Looks like we made it
Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together, still going strong

Roy stands up, taking Johnnys hand, looks into his tear-filled deep brown eyes, and begins to sing.

You're still the one
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of

You're still the one I kiss good night
Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'

You're still the one
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to

You're still the one I kiss good night
I'm so glad we made it
Look how far we've come my baby

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night
You're still the one..

Roy finishes and no one can speak, He takes a deep breath, and speaks to Johnny.

"Johnny, love of my life, we might have taken the long road to get where we are now, but we knew that someday we would make it. You are such a warm and loving person and I love you so much. Nothing you can ever do or say will change my love for you. You will always be the one for me. Johnny, I love you forever and ever."

Roy and Johnny look into each others eyes, and tenderly & lovingly kiss, They then turn to their friends and thank them for sharing this time with them Dixie gives the tape of The 12th Of Never to Johnny. who gives it to Roy. sealed with a kiss.

-30-

CREDITS:

The 12th of Never
by Johnny Mathis

You're Still The One
by Shania Twain