Title: Just A Few Things

Author: T R Gardner

Fandom: Emergency

Pairing: Mike/Tamy Stoker

Rating: R for Language.

Status: Complete

Archive: I would like this story to be included in the WWOMB.

E-mail address for feedback: bevstwins@earthlink.net

Disclaimers: Written for fun not profit. The characters are borrowed not owned. All mistakes are my own. No copyright infringements or offense intended

Notes: Answer to the shopping challenge. Thanks PEJA

Summary: After a late run, Mike receives a list of needed items from his wife.



Just A Few Things
By T R Gardner


With a deep sigh and rising spirits, Mike negotiated traffic and finally backed Big Red into the bay. Shifting painfully from Reds comfortable leather seat out to stand on the hard concrete floor, Mike stretches as Hank limps towards the office.

Captain Hookenraider called out to Frank Connors, B-shift's engineer, "Frank pull her around back and top her off then the rest of you can give her a bath."

"Hey Mikey, what'd you do drive through the house?" Frank called out.

"Naw, Mike and Big Red were in the way when the front of the building decided to fall. Ya Moron." Chet says as he also limped to the locker room.

Frank stands with his mouth wide open. Shutting it slowly he says, "A house fell on you and our girl?"

"No, just the front wall. All seven stories." Mike says as Marco enters the locker room with a snicker. "Well actually we were all under it when it fell. We stopped at Rampart and got checked out. Cap and Chet have mostly deep tissue bruises. Marco hurt his shoulder. Red protected me but I bruised my arm, shoulder and thigh. Take good care of her or you'll deal with us." Mike turns to enter the locker room when Captain Hook stopped him.

"Your wife called at shift change and requested that you pick up a few things from the store." Captain Hook looked sorry for him.

"Thanks, Cap." Mike stuffs the note in his pocket.

"Did he look at it?" Frank asks.

"No, he's a newlywed. He'll have to learn the hard way." Captain Hook chuckles.

Mike dressed as fast as his sore body would let him. Let's see I'll still make it in home to catch the game. It starts at noon. Mike thinks as he gets into his fire engine red pickup. Mike drives
to the closest grocery which was The Mega-Store. Grabbing a cart he steps into the huge store. Digging out the list he scans down it then frowns. Lowering the list he thinks no she wouldn't. Taking a second look the item was still there. Damn.

Moving with determination towards the produce department. Michael smelt, felt and compared the oranges before he chose a dozen of the finest. Smirking he quickly marked through oranges.

Item number two: Chamomile Tea. He found the right aisle then with a sinking feeling sees not only one but five different kinds of Chamomile Tea, natural or processed, decaffeinated or with caffeine, black tea or green tea, with herbs or alone, bedtime mix or tension relief, brand named or plain labeled. With sweat forming on his brow, Mike thinks, your smart. Think. Finally he chooses the brand named, decaffeinated, tension relief, green chamomile tea. With a sigh of relief, he marks off the item.

Okay. Item number three. Two cans chicken noodle soup. This will be a breeze. He pushes his cart to the soup aisle. He finds the chicken noodle soup but is stymied by a sign that reads, two cans of Campbell's soup (10 3/4 ounce) for .75 or one can (24 ounces) for 1.00. He thinks, Tami has a really bad cold, so I'll get the big can. Feeling like he has a handle on the list he marks off the soup.

Next, 1 package toilet paper. Cool with in three seconds he acquired the item and crossed it off and added the multi-pack to the cart not noticing that it was for single ply.

Alright. Three boxes Jell-O any flavor. Where the heck is Jell-O. Mike wandered around for five minutes until he found a stock boy. "Excuse me, could you tell me where the Jell-O is?"

Bob, the stock boy scowled. "Aisle 12, on the right." Was Bob's surly response.

"Thanks." Mike says as he find aisle 12 and picks up a box of orange, cherry and grape Jell-O.

Seconds later Mike feels a poke in his back. "Young man, you took the last grape Jell-O. I'm making my famous grape slaw and I need that grape Jell-O." A feisty octogenarian demanded.

Mike bent down so he could look the blue haired lady in the eyes. "Maybe they have more. Why don't you ask the stock boy to check?" Mike asked.

"It was the last. I can't have the girls over if I can't get that Jell-O. Give it to me." She demanded.

Suddenly Surly Bob rounds the corner. "What seems to be the trouble?" He asks.

"He stole my box of grape Jell-O." The elderly lady accused.

"I didn't. I did take the last box of Jell-O on the shelf. She poked me in the back and demanded the box. I suggested that she asks someone to see if there was anymore but she wouldn't."

"I'll be ruined. The ladies always expect my grape slaw. I'll never be able to show my face again. This is all your fault, you selfish, selfish man." The blue haired harpy snapped as she kicked Mike on his sore leg..

"There isn't any more grape Jell-O." Surly Bob simpered, "The shipment hasn't arrived."

Holding his tongue, he gives the little darling the box as he rubbed his leg.

Looking at the box she throws it back on the shelf, "It's the wrong size." She says as she stomps off.

Mike stands with his mouth open staring after the women. He picks up the box and adds it to the cart and crosses out Jell-O.

The next item makes him shudder. One package Kotex. The sweat again breaks out on his brow as he wanders to the proper aisle. He lurked at the end of the aisle waiting for it to empty before he enters the Feminine Protection area. Advancing he is stunned to see both pads and tampons in regular, slim or super. With a sinking feeling he grabs a package of pads, regular tampons and super tampons. He quickly hides them under his other items.

Cough Syrup. He sees a display of syrups that list each kind, Cough Suppressant, Expectorant, Decongestant or a mixture of each. Tami is coughing and congested so he gets a cough suppressant with expectorant in grape flavoring.

Kleenex one box. He chooses the largest box and goes on the next three items. Milk, Eggs and Bread. No sweat. The last item is something chocolate. Mike choose ice cream to sooth her sour throat. He also buys a box of Popsicles.

Mike enters the shortest line to wait. He unloads his cart again hiding the feminine protection. With a deep shuddering sigh he prepares to pay.

April the curly haired teen gives Mike the once over. Her eyes linger on his broad chest and long lanky frame. Noticing his blue eyes and thick brown hair then finds his gold wedding ring. Damn, she thinks as she rings up his purchases. With a frown she examines the Kotex pads. Grabbing the mic she announces, "Price check, Kotex pads, twelve count on check stand three. This is so cool. My old man won't but mine for me." She says as she winds a strand of hair on her finger as snapping her gum.

Surly Bob stomps to the register and shouts, "$2.10 for the twelve count Kotex pads."

Mike cringes and turns bright red.

April gives him a flirty smile before ringing in $2.10. Everything goes well until she picks up the regular tampons. Again grabbing the mic she announces, "Price check, Regular tampons twelve count, check stand three. You know we don't use both usually one or the other."

Mike blushes even harder as he overhears a lady behind him say "Pervert." He quickly explains, "I've been married less than a month. She didn't say which to get so I thought that if I buy both
she can choose the one she wants." He turns to the lady behind him and sees the blue haired harpy from the Jell-O aisle.

Patting his blushing cheeks the woman says, "Such a nice young man. Your wife is very lucky."

Surly Bob growls, "$2.50."

April punches in the right price and grabs the super tampons and to Mike's relief and those behind him it rings in. Totaling the sale she asks sweetly, "Green Stamps?"

Weighing the options he says, "NO." He accept the bags and hurries out to his truck. Mike is happy that the shopping trip from Hell is over. He pulls out and heads home. "Honey, I'm home." Mike calls out as he deposits the bags on the counter.

Tami shuffles into the kitchen. "Hi baby. Thank you for picking up the groceries." As each item leaves the sack Tami begins to frown.

Mike's shoulders sag, "What?" He asks.

"Well, we usually get two ply toilet paper." With a chuckle she unpacks the three Kotex products. "I use regular tampons, sweetheart and you forgot the coffee. Um. Where are the green stamps?" Tami asks.

"I'm never going back to the Mega-Store. Give me a good old fashion Mom and Pop store. I really tried and did the best I could. I'm going to lay down." Mike says sulkily.

The phone rings. Tami answers it and listens as fear darken her eyes. "Michael, I'm sorry. How are you feeling? Honey, next time you are discharged from Rampart come home. I would never have insisted you go to the store. How about I kiss it and make it better?" Tami asks with contrition plain to see.

"It's not like I was hit by a house." Mike says as he pulls Tami into his arm.


The End.