Title: Fireman Mike

Author: T.R. Gardner

Fandom: Emergency

Pairing: Mike/Hank, Kelly/Joe, Stan Studly/Bradley Peterson

Rating: R

Status: Complete

Archive: I would like this story to be included in the WWOMB.

E-mail address for feedback: bevstwins@earthlink.net

Series: Tales of an Engineer

Sequel: Why Does Love Hurt?, Memories

Disclaimers: Written for fun not profit. The characters are borrowed not owned. All mistakes are my own. No copyright infringements intended

Notes: Implied childhood abuse, violence

Summary: Mike gets hurt and his Father finds him.

 

Fireman Mike

By T.R. GARDNER

It had been two weeks since Hank's accident. Captain Stanley Studly was acting Captain of Station 51. Captain Studly stepped out of the office in answer to the tones, Station 51 unknown type rescue at 100 Justice Circle, 1 0 0 Justice Circle Time out 16:23. Station 51, 10-4, KMG 365. Captain Studly hand a copy of the slip to Roy as he rounds the Squad. Mike follows the Squad into the afternoon traffic with a long blast of the air horn. Mike was surprised that the address they pull up to is the Justice building.

The rescue must be in a courtroom, Mike thinks as he steps down. Cap tells Mike to stand down while he, John and Roy go in. A short, bald man approaches the Captain and tells him that the think the judge had a heart attack. Cap takes the oxygen while John and Roy pull the bio-phone, defibrillator and the drug box.

Mike, Marco and Chet stand next to the rig waiting.

Suddenly the speaker comes alive. Ht 51 to Engine 51.

Mike responds, "Engine 51." Mike send Chet and Marco up to the third courtroom with the stokes. "10-4 Engine 51." Mike steps down and goes to shut the compartment door as he sees Marco and Chet enter the building. A young boy walks up to Mike, "Do you drive the truck?" He asked.

As the ambulance pulls up, Mike smiles as he squats down to be at eye level with the boy, "She is called an Engine. She is a 1970 Ward La France model."

The boy looks confused. "She?"

Several people had stepped up to hear the conversation and get a closer look at the fire truck. Mike taps her lightly on the door and says, "Yes, she. We call her Big Red."

"How long have you been a fireman?" The boy asked.

"I've been a fire fighter for sixteen years. I'm Fire Fighter Specialist, Engineer Mike Stoker." Mike holds out his hand.

The boy holds out his hand and says, "I'm Bobby Thorn. My daddy is in court."

Mike asks, "Is he a lawyer?"

"No," Bobby laughs, "he was charged with being drunk, again."

"Oh, well I sorry."

Bobby thinks for a minute. "You've been a fireman for sixteen years. Have you always drove the Engine?"

"No," Mike says, I was first a Firefighter/EMT, then after passing the Engineers exam, I became the Engineer."

"Gosh, you have to take tests, too."

Mike laughs and says, "I'll be taking the Captain's exam in a few years."

"So, What do you do while the others work?" He asked.

Mike again smiles as he hears others laughing and looks up to see his audience. Mike says as he stands, "The Engineer is responsible for maintaining the Engine, the equipment and checking all the devices that are used in a fire or at a rescue."

"Do you take care of the equipment for the truck?" Bobby asks as he points to the Squad.

"No, the Squad is the responsibility of the paramedics. I take care of everything that's on Big Red. I also stand ready to step in for the Captain if something happens to him."

"Can you show me the equipment?" Bobby ask excitedly.

"I'm sorry but I can't right now. Here comes the rest of the guys. Why don't you have your teacher call the department and see if they can set up a demonstration for all the kids in your school."

"Cool. Thanks Fireman Mike." Bobby waves as he steps back for the Captain.

"Bobby, I'd like you to meet Captain Studly. Marco Lopez and Chet Kelly are Firefighters and Johnny Gage, who is getting in the ambulance is a paramedic and his partner Roy DeSoto.

Bobby shakes hands with the Captain then steps back from the Engine. Chet steps up to Mike and says "Making new friends, Mikey?"

"Chet, everyone loves the Engineer." Mike throws over his shoulder as he steps up to open his door.

There is a scream and Mike slowly turns to see a car speeding towards him. He attempts to get out of the way but the car hits him. As he loses consciousness he thinks he sees his father. The Engine sways and slides several inches to rest against the curb with the impact of the car. Roy watched in horror as Mike is flung onto the hood of the car and impacts with the windshield before falling to the ground on his back. Captain Studly keys the HT and says, "LA, Engine 51 was involved in an MVA. We have a Code I times 4. Dispatch three ambulance and another Squad. The police are at our location. Roy check out Stoker, I'll check out the driver."

Cap quickly steps around the Engine to see a late model Ford Ltd. attempting to get up close and personal with Engine. The grill is crumpled with the driver hanging over the steering wheel which had impaled him.

Feeling for a pulse and finding none. He immediately notifies LA of a Code F at their location.

Marco moves stiffly around to see Mike on the ground. "What do you need, Amigo." He asks Roy.

Chet had crawled out Marco side of the rig and was carrying the O2 tank and a back board.

"Get the splint and the spare Drug box and the pressure suite from the Squad." He says as he throws the keys to Marco. Chet asks Roy How high, as he set up the spare O2 tank. Roy says 8 liters. Chet places the O2 on Mike per cannula because he could see that Mike's jaw was broken.

"LA this is Squad 51, we need a relay to Rampart hospital." Cap says. 10-4 Squad 51, Standby.

Joe Early tells Dixie to get Dr. Bracket Stat as he pick up the land line. Squad 51 relay in place. LA to all unit change to tact 2. Go ahead Squad 51. Chet takes the Ht and relays the information that Roy has written down. LA Patient # 1 is a 35 year old firefighter, who was hit by a car. Patient has been unconscious since the accident. Be advised the patient is Mike Stoker. Vitals are BP 100\70, Pulse is 140, Respiration's are 40 labored and diminished on the right side. Pupils are equal but sluggish. Skin is cool and clammy with cyanosis of the nail beds. Right upper abdomen is guarded with rebound tenderness and distention noted. Tenderness noted in the pelvic region. Patient may have a fracture of the pelvis. There is a large laceration approximately four inches on the forehead at the hairline, where his helmet had broken the skin when his head impacted with the windshield, with a large hematoma. O2 at 8 liters per nasal cannula due to a possible fracture of the lower jaw. Request permission to start and IV?"

Standby Squad 51.

At Rampart, Joe tells Dixie to set up 6 units of A Neg. blood.

While Chet is relaying the information, Roy, Cap and Marco turn Mike and place him in the pressure suit. Roy has Cap begin to fill the suit and checks his blood pressure. BP holding at 90\70. Squad 17 arrives as LA responds. Rampart orders 2 IV's of Normal Saline and 1 of D5W, wide open. LA, Squad 17 has arrived. 10-4 Squad 51.

Roy grabs the head set and calls Rampart. This is Squad 51.

Go ahead Squad 51.

"Current vitals BP holding at 90\70, Pulse remains at 140 Respiration's at 40 with diminished breath sound on the Right. Standby Rampart for a strip. This will be lead 2."

Squad 51 we show sinus tachycardia

"Confirmed Sinus Tachycardia".

Transport immediately.

Roy looks at the rest of the guys, noticing for the first the blood on Caps face and the look of pain on Marco's and Chet's faces. Cap shuts the door and slaps it twice sending his man on his way. LA, Engine 51. We need a utility truck to tow Engine 51. 10-4 Engine 51. Cap sways and almost falls.

Rampart Base this is Squad 17. We have 4 patients. Patient 1 is Code F. Patient 2 is a 40 year old firefighter involved in the accident. Patient is having difficulty moving his neck and a episode of dizziness. Patient was administrating to Squad 51 patient on arrival to the scene. Cervical collar is now in place. Pulse is 120. Respiration's are 28 and BP is 132/70. Pupils are equal and reactive. Small hematoma from impacting with the door. Complains of a slight headache. Denies nausea or dizziness at this time. Be advised patient is Captain Studly and he is alert and riented.

Squad 17 start and IV with D5W TKO and transport. 10-4 Rampart be advised contact will be maintained through LA County. 10-4 Squad 17.

Rampart Base this is Squad 23 Patient # 3 is a 34 year old firefighter, Marco Lopez, who has complaints of a stiff back and moderate pain. Patient was administrating to Squad 51's patient on arrival. BP is 142\ 88. Pulse is 112 and respiration's are 24.

Pupils are equal and reactive. Bruising noted in the lower lumbar region. Patient is now on a back board as a precaution.

10-4 Squad 23 Start an IV of D5W TKO and transport. 10-4 IV D5W TKO and transport. Bob starts the Iv. Continue with Patient # 4.

Patient # 4 is a 35 year old fire fighter, Chet Kelly, with a possible sprained knee and fractured ribs. Patient was administering to Squad 51's patient on arrival to the scene. BP is 128\88 Pulse is 118 respiration's are 32. Pupils are equal and reactive. Patient is now on a back board and is ready for transport. 10-4 Squad 23.

Start and IV D5W TKO and transport immediately. 10-4 Rampart IV D5W TKO and transport.

Chet looks up at Brice and says, "God, Brice, you are a pain in the ass."

Bellingham chuckles as he close the ambulance door and sends the last man from Engine 51 to Rampart.

Dr. Early meets the first ambulance as it arrives caring Mike Stoker. Room 2. How's his vitals? BP is 110\70 Pulse and respiration are unchanged. Joe leads the team into the room. Dix start a unit of blood. We need x-ray stat. We'll need a flat plate of the abdomen, a full skull and jaw series and Chest series. Let's get the chest tube in place. Kel can you intubate.

"Joe, there is too much swelling. We'll have to do a trach. Vitals are BP 100\68, Pulse is 140 and respiration's are 48 and shallow with diminished breath sounds on the right. Notify surgery to have a suite on standby.

Roy is gentle stopped at the door by Dixie. Johnny is frantic.

We put him in the Dr. Lounge.

Roy frowns but heads to the lounge to his lover. Johnny jumps up when he sees Roy. Roy begins to shake and cry.

"It okay Baby, I got you."

"God Johnny it was so bad one minute Mike is joking with Chet then this car hits him and the Engine. I didn't even realize until I was loading Mike that the others were hurt."

"He's bad. I got to call Hank." Johnny calms Roy with a kiss. "I called Hank and told him that Mike was in an accident and that you were taking care of him. He said he's on his way. His dad was with him and he'll drive."

Roy sinks into a chair. "Could you check on the guys. I need some time alone."

"I'll be right back."

As Johnny leaves the lounge he sees x-ray going in to treatment 2. He walks up to Dixie. "Are the guys here yet". He asks.

"Yes, Cap's in 3. Chet's in 7 and Marco is in 1. Why don't you look in on them. Mike's in the best of hands. Joe and Kel are both in there."

As he heads for treatment 1 he hears his name and turns around to see Hank walking to him. "Mike's in treatment 2 with Joe and Kel. Roy's in the lounge and I was just going to check on Cap, Marco and Chet."

Hank looks stunned "They are here to? What the hell happened?" "Calm down, let's go into the lounge." Johnny ushers his boss and friend into the lounge where Roy is just wiping his eyes.

"Roy, can you tell me what happened today?"

"It happened so fast. Mike was talking to Chet when he headed for his door. There was a scream and then the car was on him. I think his jaw is broken and the swelling was causing problems with his breathing as well as some ribs that may have torn his lung and his pelvis. He has some internal bleeding. I didn't even notice that the others were hurt. I was so focused on Mike. I didn't even have the bio-phone."

Johnny shakes him and says, "You did right by Mike and the Guys. If they couldn't help you, they would have let you know."

"John's right Roy. You did good today." Chief Stanley says as he hugs his son. "Sit down Hank and I'll check on Mike."

Hank just nods. "I feel hollow. I don't know what to do to fix this."

"Hank, you have to trust that Joe and Kel will take care of everything."

"What about the son of a bitch who hit him?"

Joe answers as he enters, "He's dead. Mike is stable and we're moving him to surgery. Hank you can have a few minutes then we have to move. We are waiting for the x-rays. They will confirm what we already know. He has a pneumohemothorax and a ruptured spleen. The skull series is negative. We need to know about the ribs and the pelvis. His jaw is broken and he is on the vent now. We had to do a trach due to the swelling. He's been medicated and will probable sleep. Even if he were to awaken he won't be able to talk. We'll worry about the pelvis later. The Lung and Spleen are critical. He'll be in surgery for at least 4 hours." Joe takes Hank and escorts him to treatment room.

Kel is at Mike's bedside. "You hang in there do you hear me. We'll do our part but you have to do yours. Here's Hank. Love you."

Joe hugs Kel and walks him to the door. "Let's let Hank have a minute and check on the others."

"Hey, you look like shit, but your still beautiful to me. You listen to Kel and fight for us. I love you with all my heart and soul. Don't you even think of leaving me alone. I want to kiss you and love you till we're both old and gray."

The door opens and a strange man looks at the scene in front of him. He gets angry seeing Hank Stanley standing over his son. He is jostled by a nurse. Nurse Wells looks at the man and asks, "Can I help you?"

"I was looking for Michael's Doctor." He says with distance.

"Are you family?" She asks.

"I'm Michael's father and I want that man out of his room, now!" He yells. Dr. Bracket comes to the door to see who is yelling in his ER.

"What seems to be the trouble here?" He asks.

"I want that man, that pervert out of that room now. I am Michael's father and I don't want him here."

"Let's step into my office, shall we and discuss this." As Bracket turns he sees Johnny, Roy, Marco and Chet staring at the man, who claims to be Mike's father. "Get that man out of there."

Chief Stanley says in a cold and cutting voice, "That man is Mike's Captain and will remain with Mike until he goes to surgery and just so we understand each other that man is my son and the only pervert present is you."

With that he goes into the treatment room to be with Hank and Mike.

Mr. Stoker sees a couple of security guards and calls to them. "Remove those men, I am taking my son to another hospital."

"No, you're not. I'm Dr. Early and Mike will remain here as he is headed to surgery to repair the damage done by his being hit by a car. You are not in charge here. I AM. Get out of our way, NOW."

The men from station 51 stare at the good doctor in stunned silence, unable to believe that Joe Early had yelled at anyone. Kel looks at his lover with a raised eyebrow and says to Dixie, "Maybe I rubbing off on him."

She laughs and says, "I guess so. Watch out or your reputation as a hard ass may be usurped."

Mr. Stoker turns red in the face and his vein starts to pound in his forehead. "My son is unconscious and is unable to give his consent to surgery. I want him moved to a high class hospital."

Dr. Bracket states, "Your son signed an authorization for Hank Stanley to make all medical decisions for him if he is not able to. Hank has signed the consent and we are taking Mike to surgery now. You can wait in my office until the surgery is over or you can come back tomorrow when it will be over, but you will not be allowed to see Mike while he is in CICU unless Hank authorizes it."

"This is a outrage. You can't keep me from seeing my son."

"We will talk about this after surgery in the morning. Good evening, Mr. Stoker. Please escort Mr. Stoker to my office or out of the building which ever he chooses."

With that Bracket goes into the room to get Mike ready to go.

Hank is being held back by his father. "You can't attack him. This will not help Mike. Let's go to the surgical lounge."

"How. How could that man show his face here? After all that he did, to expect that he would be welcome."

"Hank, he didn't think Mike would tell anyone. He expected to be greeted with respect."

"Well, he was wrong. You hang in there, Baby. I'll be waiting for you." Hank bends down to kiss him.

"We'll all be here for you, Son." Martin Stanley says to his son's lover.

Hank swallows the lump in his throat and hugs his Dad. They walk out to see his men and Captain Studly waiting for him.

We were just headed up to the Surgery lounge when the fireworks started.

"Care to fill me in." Captain Studly asks.

"Mike doesn't get along with his father and he never wanted a situation to develop where he would have to have his father make decisions for him."

"Did you need me to sign Mike's consent papers since I was his Captain of record."

"Stan, I have a letter of authorization for Mike. The consent is signed."

As they turn to go up the elevator Captain Studly informs the group, "My lover gave me an authorization form for him if something happens to him. It's nice to know that Mike did the same for you."

The stunned silence that met this statement was alarming. "Don't worry you secret is safe with me. I realize outing myself to a Chief wasn't the best way to do this but don't worry. I really like Mike."

Hank smiles the first smile that day and says, "Thanks Pal."

"How do you feel?"

"I have a case of whiplash and a very mild concussion. Marco has a back strain and Chet sprained his knee. We were very lucky. It was a long night. Mike was in surgery for five hours.

Joe and Kel shuffled in, "He's tough. He had two bleeders that we got tied off and repaired his lung and removed the broken rib fragment. We also repaired his jaw. He's got a lot of work to do in the next few days but I think he'll make it." Bracket said.

Hank hugs Kel and thanks him. Kel stands stunned. Hank had just hugged him in front of Captain Studly, who smiles and says "I know."

Joe looks at Kel and shrugs and says, "All of the walking wounded go home to bed. That's Doctors orders."

"You heard him Stan. Let's go home." Standing in the doorway was Deputy Chief Bradley Peterson.

Hank, I'll check with you on Mike's condition tomorrow. If you need anything just ask." Chief Peterson says as they leave, "What am I going to do with you? I give you a perfectly good Engine and you break it."

"Hey, It wasn't my fault." as he puts his arm around the Deputy Chief's waist. "Still love me?"

The Deputy Chief smacks him on the butt while saying "Brat."

"How's the head?" Brad asks as they round the corner to the elevator and out of sight.

Hank, stayed at the hospital and slept in the chair in Mikes room.

Mike opened his eyes. "Where am I. What happened to me." Then he sees Hank and remembers.

Hank hears the vent. alarm going off. "Mike calm down. You are still on the ventilator. You were hit by a car." He sees the panic in Mike's eyes and tells him. "The Engine is fine. The water tank was cracked and the body bent. She is getting worked on and will be as good as new when you return to work."

The look of relief makes him laugh. Dr. Bracket and Early enter to hear Hank laugh. "What's so funny."

"He was worried about the Engine."

Kel goes to Mike's other side and says, "You were pretty badly hurt. We repaired your lung that had partially collapsed and the rupture to your spleen. You might have noticed that you can't open you mouth. Your jaw was broken. We had to do a tracheotomy. We want to keep you on the vent for a couple of days to let your lung heal a little. We have ordered a sedative to keep you quiet for a while. Go to sleep everything is fine."

Mike watches him inject the sedative into his IV. He grabs Kel's arm and points to Hank.

"He's going home with his dad. He'll rest now that you have woke up."

Hank notices that Mike's eyelids are drooping. He kisses Mike and tells him "I love you and will see you tomorrow."

Mike wakes up to see the one face he thought he would never see. He is terrified he can't call for help. He frantically feels for the call button.

His father holds it in front of Mikes face. "You've been a very bad boy."

Mike's eyes tear and he shakes his head no.

"Did you think that I wouldn't find you. Imagine my surprise when I walked to the Courthouse and holding court was MY SON. My Son, the fireman, who has embarrassed the family for the last time. All you had to do was what I told you to do but NO, you had to let that pervert touch you. No one was to touch you but Daddy. You were my good boy before that man met you. It's all his fault. He made you bad. Well Daddy will take care of everything."

Mike cries out in his mind for Hank.

Hank had just entered the lobby when he feel terror overwhelm him and he hears Mike call to him. John and Roy stare at Hank as he runs to the stairway. Hank made it to CICU in minutes. He runs to Mike's room to see Mike shaking in terror as his father slapped him again.

Hank grabs Matt Stoker and pushed him from Mike. Mike's eyes widen and as Hank turns Mike's father stabs Hank repeatedly as he falls. Mike finally finds the light and pulls it out of the wall.

The nurses had heard the shuffle and had called security.

John and Roy pull Matt Stoker from Hank only to get cut themselves. Matt stabs Roy in the shoulder then turns to Johnny and draws the knife across his throat before Johnny can react.

Matt stands above Mike and prepares to kill him.

Dr. Bracket and two orderlies runs at Matt.

Hank is unconscious and bleeding from numerous wounds. Johnny and Roy lays back attempting to catch their breath.

Matt had moved to put the bed between him and Mikes defenders. "I loved you, my beautiful son. You left me and met him. No one could take your place. You were always my favorite. You always suffered so prettily. Tell me your sorry and I'll take you home. After your punished, you'll be Daddy's good boy." After a moment he yells, "I said say your sorry and you'll never embarrass the family again and that pervert will never touch you again. Only Daddy is to love you. I tried I really did. Now you have to be punished. All you had to do is say your sorry. If I can't have you he won't either. I gave you life and I am going to take it away."

As he lifts the knife to plunge it in Mikes heart. A shot rings out.

Mike stares at his Mother standing in the door way with a gun. "You'll not hurt my son any more."

The room goes dark as he hears Kelly working on Hank.

Mike wakes up to see Johnny sitting by his bed asleep. He has a dressing over his throat. A noise from the doorway draws his attention.

Roy, with his arm in a sling, walks in. Roy notices Mike's eyes are open. "Johnny and I have superficial wounds. You and Johnny will have a scar to match. Hank is fine. He's next door. You'll be sharing a room tomorrow. Kel is going to remove the vent later today. Although we might not be able to tell the difference with you being so quiet."

Mike rolls his eyes.

"Your mother is fine. The police said it was justifiable homicide. She saved all our lives. Your father will never hurt you or anyone you love again."

 

END