Title: Fear Revisited

Author: T.R. Gardner

Fandom: Emergency

Pairing: Hank Stanley/ AJ Davis, Mike/Tami Stoker, Roy/Joanne DeSoto, Johnny/Katarina Gage, Marco/Louisa Lopez, Chet/Lynnette Kelly, Victor/Charlotte Soreign, Martin/Anna Stanley

Rating: R

Status: Part 2 of ?

Archive: I would like this story to be included in the WWOMB.

E-mail address for feedback: bevstwins@earthlink.net

Series: Yes

Sequel: A Phone Call Away, July 4th fireworks

Disclaimers: Written for fun not profit. The characters are borrowed not owned. All mistakes are my own. No copyright infringements or offense intended

Notes: Original characters: AJ Davis, Tami Rena Stoker, Louisa Lopez, Lynette Craigh Kelly, Katarina Gage, Victor Gabriel /Charlotte Catherine Soreign, Martin Henry/Anna Nichol Stanley, Devon Peter (Lil Phantom) Kelly, Johnny Randall (JR) DeSoto, Royal Jonathon (RJ) Gage, Michael David Soreign, Judy Nichol (Lil Cap) Stanley, Joy Jennifer (Pip) Stanley, Brandon (Gator), Brenda, Jacob, Leland, and Sarah Scranton, Arnie (Swede) Swenson, Ardell (Coop) Cooper, Michael (Scotty) Mc Daniels, Patrick (Finn) Finnegan.

Summary: Hank awakes to relive a fear of losing the one he loves.

Fear Revisited

by T.R. Gardner

The fireworks display was wonderful. The program had ended at 11:00 pm. We had gone straight to sleep. Hank had spooned next to AJ.

Helen was shaking Hank awake. Hank, My head hurts really bad. I think we need to go to Rampart. I am having a hard time seeing and am nauseated.

Hank reached for the phone and called L A County Dispatch. "I need a Squad and Ambulance at 26260 West Vanguard Boulevard, cross street Greenwood Circle, Woman ill. Hank hung up and helped Helen sit up.

Helen was pale and her speech was slurred. Her eyes were glassy and one pupil was dilated and the other was pin point. "Hank, I am scared. I can't see. What is wrong with me." She asked.

"I don't know what wrong with you honey. We'll get you to the hospital and they will take care of you. Honey, the Squad is coming. I need to go let them in. I'll be back in a few seconds."

Helen nods faintly.

Hank knew that her conscious level had declined in the last few minutes. He runs down the stairs and meets Station 51's Squad.

Dwyer said in surprise, "I thought I recognized the address."

Hank says, "It's Helen something happened to her. You got to help her." He leads them upstairs.

Helen is unresponsive. Her color pale with cold and clammy skin and a blue tint around her mouth.

Dwyer asks, "How long has she been unresponsive?"

Hank answers in surprise, "She was talking to me as I left to answer the door. She Complained of a excruciating headache, poor vision then being unable to see, her speech was slurred. I knew that she wasn't as aware as I left the room. God, I shouldn't have left her. What's wrong."

"Captain Stanley," Brice asks, "Was she complaining of being ill?"

"No. She seemed fine all day. We had the girls stay with my parents. Brice, Do Something." Hank begs.

Dwyer calls out, "Cardiac Arrest. Brice, We need to wrap and run." "Hank, you can ride with us. We need to go now."

Dwyer and Brice transfer Helen to the gurney with Dwyer performing CPR.

"Brice, I'm going to need you. Captain Hookenraider, I need Brice.

Send someone in with the Squad." Dwyer said.

Hank looks stunned, "I don't understand. What happened?" He asked.

Captain Hook nudged him, "Hank go. I'll call the Chief and lock up. We'll meet you at the

hospital."

The ride to the hospital was surreal. He could hear Dwyer and Brice working on Helen. The trip is taking to long. He thought.

Joe Early met the ambulance. Dwyer was still performing CPR and Brice had intubated Helen.

Dixie turned to find Hank standing in the doorway. "Hank, Come on let's get a cup of coffee." She leads him to the Doctor's lounge.

She steered Hank to a chair and set a cup of coffee in front of him.

Chief Martin Stanley found his son just like that when he arrived five minutes later.

"I don't know what to do. She coded before we left the house. She was fine. Dad, I can't loose her. Help me."

Martin hugged Hank and let him cry.

Twenty minutes later the door opens to a very depressed Joe Early and Kelly Brackett.

"Hank, Helen had a aneurysm. A weakening in the wall of a vein, in this case the brain. It started to bleed and put pressure on the brain. We did everything we could but the bleeding was to much.
She's gone. I'm sorry, Hank. If there is anything we can do, let us know." Joe said.

"I need my wife. I. The girls" Hank awoke to being shaken.

AJ felt very warm. Her breathing was labored with notable wheeze with ever breath. Her chest muscles were working very hard to force air into her lungs.

Hank calls to her. "AJ what's wrong?" He couldn't shake the dream.

She meet his eyes with pleading, fear and confusion.

"I'm going to get Joe." Hank said.

AJ nods unable to pull in enough air to speak, as she coughs, a deep dry barking cough.

Hank heads to the lower level, at a run passing Marco without noticing him.

Marco stops for a moment when he hears AJ's labored breathing. He enters and helps her sit up, in an attempt to ease her breathing. "Amega, does this help?" Marco asks with concern.

AJ gives him a faint smile between coughs.

Hank bangs on the peach room door.

Martin and Anna wake to the noise.

Joe opens the door.

"AJ's having trouble breathing. You have to help her." Hank implores.

Joe grabs his black bag and heads upstairs in a run.

Kel and Dix put on robes and follow Hank upstairs.

If Hank was surprised to see Marco, he didn't show it.

AJ was so pale with a blue tint around her mouth.

Hank shakes the image of Helen from his mind.

Louisa comes down looking for Marco and her snack.

As she stops at the door Joe calls to her. "Call for the paramedics and an ambulance. Tell them we have a patient suffering from bronchitis with bronchial spasms and possible pneumonia. Inform them that there are two Doctors present."

"Joe, you need to step back." Kel says gently.

Joe glares at him. "Why in hell would I step back."

"Honey, you can't treat family!" Dixie says.

Joe nods and steps back. Sirens can be heard in the background.

"AJ, I'm going to give you some medications to stop the spasms and an antibiotic. Kelly explains.

As he fills the syringe, Dixie checks her vitals. "Kel, BP is 138/92, Pulse is 132 and Respirations are shallow 40, labored with bi-lateral rails and ronchi. Temp is 101.2."

"Hank get some towels and a large pan of cold water. We need to bring her temperature down." Joe instructs.

Hank hurries away with Martin following behind him.

Anna enters the bedroom with the Paramedics and the Captain from 214's.

"I'm Captain Lane. Can you tell me what happened here."

"I woke up and found AJ having trouble breathing." Hank says as he hands over the water and towels to Dixie.

"Hank! I didn't realize you lived here. AJ. Captain Davis of 72's" Captain Lane says.

"Wayne, Yes. This is my vacation home. We were celebrating the 4th. I don't know how this happened. She was fine earlier." Hank says in confusion. "Please God. Not again."

Louisa had returned upstairs to talk to the other's, who had woke up when the trucks pulled in.

Vic tells the other's to go into the living room and clear the hallway for the guys.

AJ now had an IV in place, O2 per mask and was hooked up to the cardiac monitor. Her color had improved although it was still pale.

Hank stood back with tears running down his face. He turns suddenly to catch Mikey as he makes his way through the group.

"Michael, Mommy is in good hands. We need to let Joe and Kel work." Hank implores.

"Momma, Momma don't leave me. Mikey cries.

Hank takes him outside to the lobby and sits him on the bar. "Mikey, your Momma's being taken good care of. She has to be alright." Hank says, as he hugs Mikey.

"Daddy, umh, Uncle Hank, can I go with you and Mommy?" Mikey begs.

"Yes. We'll ride in the ambulance. Kel and Joe will go with us." Hank says.

Charlotte and Anna give Hank a hug.

"Honey, what happened?" Anna asks softly

"I don't know. We were asleep. I felt AJ start to shake me. I woke up to find her running a temp and having trouble breathing. I just kept thinking not again." Hank says as he starts to cry.

Mikey, Pip, and Lil Cap hug Hank. Lil Cap asks, "AJ is going to be fine, Daddy. Uncle Kel says so."

"Hank, Mikey we need to go." Kel says.

"Pip, Lil Cap stay with Mom. We'll call as soon as we know anything". Hank says.

Hank, Joe and Mikey are escorted to the Doctor's lounge to wait.

Kelly enters about twenty minutes later. "Well it's not as bad as we thought. Bronchitis exacerbated by yesterday mornings smoke inhalation and the smoke from the fireworks. Separately one wouldn't have caused such a reaction but the bronchial tubes were already
inflamed. She has asthmatic bronchitis. Respiratory Therapy has finished a treatment. We are going to keep her for observation. Her breathing is easier and we've started IV antibiotics. I want her to have two doses before we send her home. If her temperature stays down, she can go home tomorrow. We getting her a room. Hank and Mikey, why don't you go see her. We'll move her upstairs in about fifteen minutes." Kelly says.

The smile on Hank's face was almost ear to ear. He shakes Kel's hand, then he picks up Mikey and head for treatment room 2.

AJ reclines on the bed at a 45 degree angle.

"Momma, How you feel?" Asks her concerned son.

"I'm fine. (cough) You mind (cough) Hank and Charlotte." AJ instructs him in a hoarse whisper.

"I be good. Love you. Get better. Hank, Pip, Lil Cap and I need you." He affirms.

The door opens and Dixie looks in, "Mikey let's let Hank have a minute alone." She says.

Hank picks Mikey up so he could kiss his Mom's cheek.

"Bye, Bye. Be Good. Come home soon." He calls out.

Hank watches the door close.

"Hi Stud, (cough) sorry. I didn't really feel bad (cough). She says.

"You really scared me. I had a dream about Helen then wake up to you being unable breath. AJ, I love you. I no longer wish to live with out you. Will you marry me?" Hank asks.

AJ looks stunned. "I will. She stated.

"Mikey called me Daddy tonight. I couldn't survive if something happened to you." Hank cries softly as he hugs her.

"Shush, I'm too tough (cough) too stubborn to die. AJ says.

"Oh yeah, you are that. I wish I could take you home but you need to be here. I'll send Mikey home with Dad. I'm not letting you out of my sight. Hank says.

Yawn. "You need to (cough) sleep." AJ insists.

"In your room. I love you!" Hank kisses AJ chastely.

"What in the world was that?" AJ demanded.

"The only kind of kiss you'll get while you're sick." Hank confirmed.

AJ's face drew up in a quivering pout.

Hank chuckled and kissed her hand. "Just keep track of the kisses owed." Hank suggests.

AJ drew breath to talk.

Hank gentle placed his index finger over her lips. "No more talking, just rest."

AJ motioned for a pen and paper.

Hank gives her a pad from the counter and a pen.

With great care and precision, AJ wrote a large 3 on the paper.

Hank begins to giggle, "Okay my love, you go ahead and keep track."

The door opens and two orderlies transfer AJ to a gurney, as they turn to leave Dixie stops Hank at the door and directed him to the lounge. He is met by one very scared little boy and the worried
faces of his friends.

"She is being admitted for twelve hour observation. She is feeling better. Thank you Kel, Joe and Dix. I don't know what I would have done without you. I'm going to stay the rest of the night and be here for AJ. Why don't you go back to the house and get some rest?"

Hank suggests. "I'll call if there are any problems. I asked AJ to marry me and she said yes."

"Congratulations, Good luck, and Way to go." Were called out by the group.

"Charlotte, AJ wants us to look after Mikey. Do you know what he did tonight?" Hank asks with awe.

"What did he do?" Charlotte asked with a frown.

"He called me, Daddy. I always wanted a son. Don't get me wrong, I love the twins. It's just now I have a son. Hank smiles.

"Surly you have notice that He worships you. He has started walking like you and talking like you." Charlotte says.

Hank looked stunned. "Really?" "Um did Mom stay with the kids?" Hank asked.

"Yes, we'll head back and let them know about AJ's going to be fine. Mikey, it is time to go home." Charlotte says.

"I want stay." He runs to Hank. "Please don't make me leave. Want to be with Mommy."

"Michael, you need to get some sleep. I'll watch over your Mom but I need you to look after Joy and Judy. Will you do that for me, Son." Hank asks.

"You call if Momma gets sicker?" He asked.

"I promise. I call for you if anything changes." Hank confirms.

With all the dignity only a three year old can have, Mikey nods, grasps his Nanna's hand and paces a thumb in his mouth, something he hadn't done in months. He stops and runs back to Hank, "I love you, Daddy."

Hank hugs him tight. "I love you, son. Be good for your Nanna."

With a surprised chuckle, "Mamma always says that."

Dixie returns to escort Hank to AJ's room where he finds a comfortable looking recliner.

Hank stands at the door watching AJ sleep. Her burgundy hair is sweat dampened. Her cheeks were flushed, the only color to her pale face. Her breathing is easier. He hears footsteps.

Kel, Joe and Dix each give him a hug.

Kel says, "She is doing fine. I want you to relax and get some sleep if you can. You can thank Dix for the chair."

"Alex said you proposed. Take good care of our girl. Welcome to the family." Joe says as he continues, "I want you to rest. I only allow one family member to be a patient at a time."

"Joe's right. I know that tonight was emotionally hard for you in several ways. If you need to talk, Uncle Kel, I never thought I say that, will be here for you." Kel says.

"Men." Dixie pushes Hank into the chair and activated the footrest. "Aunt Dixie. Good night, Hank."

"Nite, Dix." Hank says, "I can't thank you enough. I need to thank the Big Chief upstairs, too."

Kel shuts the main lights off and as they leave shuts the door.

To Hank's surprise he falls quickly to sleep. He awakens when a nurse comes in to take AJ's vital signs and give her a breathing treatment at 2:00 am.

Nurse Dillon apologies, "I didn't mean to wake you. I'm Catherine, you can call me Cat."

"How is AJ's temp?" Hank asked as he rubs his eyes.

"It's 100 now. Vitals are stable. Can I get you anything, Captain Stanley?"

"If I'm to call you Cat, please call me, Hank. No, thank you. I am fine." Hank says.

After Cat leaves, Hank kisses AJ's forehead.

She grabs the paper and writes another 3, as she whispers, "Go to Sleep!"

As ordered, Hank goes quickly back to sleep.

Cat checked on them several times through out the night. Waking AJ's every 2 hours for vital signs, lung sounds and breathing treatments if necessary.

Hank awoke each time but fell back to sleep as only one who is use to interrupted sleep can.

By 6:00 am, AJ's temp was down and she had needed no treatment for the last 4 hours. Joe and Kel came in to check on her. They carried a bag with clean clothes for Hank. They suggested that he shower in the Doctors locker room while they "checked their girl over."

"Good morning." AJ said hoarsely.

"You're looking better than the last time I saw you!" Joe said.

"Why didn't you tell us you weren't feeling well?" Kel asked with concern.

"I felt fine. Is Pip ill? She had a cold. That's all it is right a cold?" AJ asked.

"We started on an antibiotic because she is developing bronchitis. We'll watch Lil Cap too. Kel reassured her.

"I want to get out of here and enjoy the rest of the long weekend. Can I please go home?" AJ pleaded.

"If everything goes well, we'll release you this afternoon. Your already off for at least 6 weeks for the broken ankle. You need to rest." Kel ordered.

Joe reinforced, "You'll be going home on breathing treatment every four hours, and ventalin inhalers prn, and prednisone and cough syrup. If your temp goes up above 101, or you get dehydrated again, you need to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day or you are back at the Rampart Hotel."

AJ blushes, "I'll do anything to get out of here. It's a nice place to visit but I hate staying."

Kel smiles, "We know. Everyone is waiting for you to the beach house. There are a lot of worried people there."

Hank enters washed, brushed and shaved. "Can I take her home."

"If her temp stays down and if she has some one to watch her 24 hours a day for the next week then yes she can be discharged at noon." Kel instructs.

"My word, Uncle Kel, I really don't want to ruin the rest of the holiday weekend. Can't I go now? I'll be good. Please Uncle Joe." AJ wheedles.

"No. The earliest we'll release you is noon." Joe stated emphatically.

"See you at noon." AJ states with determination.

The morning passes quickly with a trip to x-ray to check on her fractured ribs, the respiratory therapist showing AJ and Hank how to administer the breathing treatment, a O2 tank to take home if she needed it and two phone calls from her son.

Hank had stepped out to check on Gator. At 10:00, there was a knock on the door, Hank came in pushing Gator, AJ's engineer.

"I hear you caused quite a stir last night, Cap." Gator says.

"You know me always wanting to be the center of attention." AJ teased.

Brandon "Gator" Scranton had been AJ's Engineer at 72's for almost eleven months. He had jet black hair and stunning green eyes and at 6' 3", his size made him intimidating. He was really a very gentle man, who loved Big Red with a jealousy that rivaled even Mike Stoker. Like Mike he was an artist with the Engine.

"When are they going to spring you? AJ asked.

"The middle of next week. I'll be off for at least 6 weeks." Gator said before asking, "What about you?"

"Same here. I have a lot of things to do though. Check on the ranch, plan a wedding and catching up on some reading." AJ says.

"Who's wedding are you planning?" Gator asks.

"Ours." Hank said.

"Congratulations. I knew you were seeing each other but I didn't realize it was that serious. Wait till I tell Brenda, Gator's 27 year old wife of six years. I'll be damned. This is great. You take good care of her or you'll deal with us." He says as he shakes their hands.

Hank chuckles, "I will take good care of her and Mikey."

AJ pulls the pad over and writes a 6 on it.

"Six, why six?" Hank asks.

Gator raised his eyebrow in question.

"Six because of not getting any last night." AJ says.

Gator blushes as his eyes bug out.

AJ quickly explains. "Kisses you dope. Hank won't give me a real kiss after I was admitted, so I'm keeping tract for him to make up later."

"How's Mikey?" Gator asked quickly changing the topic.

"He slept most of last night. Charlotte said. Once Joe convinced him AJ was really going to be fine." Hank says.

"This is the first illness or injury since he was born or at least that he remembers." AJ states.

"The kids take it hard," Gator explains, "Jacob, my five year old, Leland, is four, and Sarah is two, they call at least eight times a day. They would call more but Brenda and her Mom won't let them." "I really miss them." Gator sighs.

"Have the guys been up to see you?" AJ asks.

"They've all called. Thanks, Cap, for the flowers. The engine vase was a nice touch." Gator says.

AJ blushes, "That's from Finn and I. It caught my eye as we were leaving. Glad you liked them."

A knock on the door interrupts. "Want company?" Finn asks as he peeks around the door.

"Come in." AJ called. "Guys, you know Hank Stanley? Hank, these are 72's infamous A Shift. This is Arnold "Swede" Swenson (who is 5' 11", with blond hair that is almost white and friendly ice blue eyes). Ardell "Coop" Cooper (who has thick brown hair, mocha colored skin and is 5' 10"). Michael "Scotty" Mc Daniels (who has red hair with brown eyes and stands 6' 4"). Patrick "Finn" Finnegan (who stands 6' 1" with strawberry blond hair and emerald eyes).

"Pleased to meet you. AJ has told me so much about each of you." Hank says.

They had a nice visit and left taking Gator with them.

Hank climbs into bed with AJ's prompting. They nap until they are woke up by a knock.

"Come in." AJ calls.

Kel, Dix and Joe walk in. "Your temp is still down. R.T. says your good to go so we'll discharge you after we listen to your lungs."

Kel says. "Your lungs sounds are good with just a little wheezing noted. Your x-rays show that you still have some shadowing and the hairline fractured ribs haven't gotten any worse from the coughing. I think we need to keep an eye on you to keep you from developing pneumonia. I want you back here on Tuesday for a recheck. Rest and drink a lot of fluids, take your medicine and that will save you a return trip."

AJ rolls her eyes, "Can I go home?"

"What do you think, Joe? Can we trust her?" Kel asks.

"Well…, yes you can go home with 24 hour supervision." Joe says.

"Not a problem." AJ and Hank both say.

"I brought you some clothes, unless you want to wear your nightgown." Dixie teases.

"I'm out of here." AJ says as she heads to the bathroom to change. "Am I still contagious?" AJ asks with concern.

"Your temp is down and you've been on IV antibiotics for twelve hours and I gave you a mega dose of penicillin at the house. I'd say no." Kel says.

"So it's back to the beach." AJ declares.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Hank says.

AJ comes out and writes a 3 on the paper for a total of 15 kisses owed. "I plan on collecting tonight!" She informs Hank.

Hank blushes but doesn't explain.

Everyone watched AJ like a hawk but she understands. Mikey climbed on AJ's lap and hugged her and held her for the first hour home. Hank brought out the leftovers for lunch. AJ slept most of the rest of the day. They took turns giving her glasses of water every time she was awake. By 9:00, everyone was ready to turn in, happy that all the family was under one roof.

Hank chuckled as he watched AJ slip right to sleep. Tomorrow we'll work on that backlog of kisses, which he noted was now up to 35.

 


The End