Title: Catalina

Author/pseudonym: The Fairy Queen

Fandom: Emergency!

Paring: Roy/Johnny

Rating: NC17

Status: New, complete

Archive: Yes to WWOMB and Complete Kingdom of Slash. Anyone else, please ask, just so I'll know where to come visit. :)

E-mail address for feedback: thefairyqueen@hotmail.com

Author's website: http://members.xoom.com/fairyqueen12/Emergenc.htm

Disclaimers: This story exists solely for the enjoyment of the author and her readers, and is not intended to infringe on any legally held copyright. No money has been made from the story, and none seems likely to be forthcoming.

Summary: Roy and Johnny take a vacation on beautiful Catalina Island.

Warnings: Mild spoilers for the episode "The Old Engine Cram". PWP-ish.

 

Catalina

by The Fairy Queen

Roy sat at the desk in Cap's office cradling his forehead in his hand, bent over the Squad's logbook, writing rapidly. He wanted to finish updating the log before dinner, and time was running short. Mike Stoker was making spaghetti, and that was something Roy did not want to miss.

He startled when Johnny suddenly dropped a handful of glossy folders onto the desk in front of him. Johnny giggled. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

Roy looked up. "S'okay. What are these?"

"Travel folders. We're going to Catalina."

Roy and Johnny had a week's vacation coming up, and they'd been arguing for months over where to go. Roy absolutely refused to go camping again. He wanted to go to San Francisco. Johnny was disappointed; there was nothing he loved more than loving his Roy surrounded by the natural beauty of the mountainous regions of Los Angeles county. But if camping was not what Roy wanted, then Johnny was willing to compromise.

However, this willingness did not extend to traveling San Francisco. Johnny couldn't find any logic in leaving one large, hectic city to vacation in another. As far as he was concerned, getting away from the chaos of the city was what vacations were supposed to be all about. After giving the matter quite a bit of thought and slogging though hundreds of travel folders for resort areas in the LA vicinity, he had finally come up with what he thought was the perfect trade-off.Johnny leaned over Roy's shoulder, pulled a folder from the heap that sprawled messily across the desk, and thrust it into Roy's hand.

"You don't want to go camping, I want out of the city, Catalina is perfect. It's close enough that we could be there in a couple of hours, but it's miles away from the city in attitude. See?" Johnny leaned over Roy's shoulder again and pointed to a sentence in one of the brochures, using the motion as an excuse to steal a quick nuzzle at Roy's ear.

"'Only 22 miles off the coast of Los Angeles, but it feels like a world away.' Isn't that what you wanted, to get away from this world and into another, better one? Catalina beats San Francisco any day. It sounds perfect, Roy. Sounds like paradise, actually. We can take a cruise ship from Los Angeles Harbor to get there. It'll be so cool. And once we get to Catalina. . ." Johnny shuffled brochures frantically. "There's this town called Two Harbors. It's a resort village at the island's isthmus, on the west coast." He paused for breath, then plunged doggedly back into his sales spiel.

"It'll be great, Roy. No big city hassles like we'd have in San Francisco. What we would have is lots of peace and quiet and time alone together. And oh! Catalina has some of the best scuba diving in the world. There are caves and reefs teeming with the most beautiful sea creatures you've ever seen. You've been to Catalina, you know how clear and clean the water is there. Did you know the average visibility is 40 feet? And we can hike! There are loads of ocean view hiking trails."

Johnny pulled another brochure from the pile. "And I found a hotel for us. It's called the Belhaven House Lodge. It's actually a bed and breakfast inn."

Roy finally spoke up. Despite himself he was impressed with Johnny's enthusiasm, and had found himself becoming infected by it as his young partner bubbled on about the place. But while he had to admit that Catalina sounded wonderful, he saw one very large flaw in Johnny's plan.

"A bed and breakfast, Johnny? In a small town on tiny Catalina Island?" Roy sighed. "Do you know why I wanted us to go to San Francisco? So we could get lost in the crowd, that's why." Roy tossed the folder down on the desk and swiveled around so that he could look up into Johnny's face.

"We can get lost on Catalina, Roy. We'll keep to ourselves, no one will bother us, I'm betting on it. Look at this folder about the Inn, Roy. It says, 'Belhaven House Lodge is perched on a hilltop overlooking the village of Two Harbors and offers sweeping views of both Isthmus Cove and Catalina Harbor.' And look, it's only a block from the beach." Johnny pointed to a small picture in one corner of the brochure. "I think we'll get this room. It's called The Captain's Quarters." Johnny grinned broadly. "'The Captain's Quarters', I like that. What do you think?"

"I think that you have completely taken leave of your senses. Do you really think that I'm going to show up with you at some lover's retreat? Two men together in a place like that? We'll stick out like sore thumbs."

Roy regretted his unintentionally brusque words when he saw the crestfallen look on Johnny's face. //No one can do the kicked puppy better than Johnny,// he thought with grudging, amused admiration.

"I'm sorry, Johnny. I didn't mean to snap. I just want us to have a good time on vacation, not set ourselves up for a lot of grief."

Johnny pulled up a chair and sat down next to Roy, gazing earnestly into his face. "Roy, it'll be fine. I promise. Please trust me. No one will hassle us, not in this place. Everyone will be so busy having the time of their life in paradise they won't pay the least attention to us." Johnny looked away from Roy and shuffled his feet guiltily. "Besides, you either have to go with me or we'll have to take separate vacations. Belhaven House is booked up weeks in advance. I already made the reservation."

"Johnny!"

***

They left early the next day. The cruise to the island from LA harbor took two hours. They stood at the rail the entire time, as much in case Johnny's periodic seasickness decided to rear its ugly head as a desire to see the stunning scenery. Fortunately, they completed the trip with Johnny's breakfast still in his stomach.

Despite Roy's continued misgivings, they checked into their room at the inn with little fanfare. The staff at Belhaven House didn't turn a hair at seeing the two strapping young men arrive, with luggage, and check into the same cozy room. Once that ordeal was behind him, Roy finally started to relax.

They unpacked and spent a glorious day hiking the island's scenic trails. Roy was soon grateful for the fact that the department required its employees to keep in good shape; Catalina's hilly trails were brutal but the breathtaking vistas were worth it.

After a sumptuous dinner in the Inn's communal dining room, where Roy and Johnny found themselves cornered by an elderly dowager from Des Moines who wanted to know all about the paramedic program. . . ("You boys actually give medical treatment to injured people right on the street? How deeeeelightful!") they retired to their room. Exhausted by the long day, they fell into bed and off to sleep in minutes.

***

Roy came awake slowly. He reached up sleepily and batted at his ear, trying to shoo away the moth fluttering there.

"Roooooy... Wake up, Roy."

With a tremendous effort, Roy opened his eyes to find himself staring up at Johnny, whose face was a bare inch away. Roy blinked, startled, and Johnny gave him a radiant grin.

"Finally. Man, I thought I was going to have to blow in your ear all night before you finally woke up. Not that I would mind," he added, and grinned again.

"What the hell time is it, Johnny?" Roy croaked.

"Oh, it's early. Two a.m. Get up. We are going for a romantic moonlit walk on the beach, my good man."

"Johnny, are you nuts? It's 2 in the morning, and we walked all day! I want to sleep. We can walk on the beach tomorrow." With that Roy rolled over and pulled the blanket back up to his chin.

The next he knew, the blanket was sailing through the air and he lay on the bed exposed, cold and extremely annoyed. He sat up and barked, "Stop it, Johnny! Quit fooling around and come back to bed!"

"Nope. Not gonna do it. And if you don't get up, I'll just, I'll just...," he looked around the room until his eyes fell on the small radio on the dresser. He flipped it on and turned up the volume. "I'll sing, that's what I'll do," and with that he began a lusty singalong with the Starland Vocal Band's 'Afternoon Delight'. Emitting a sound which was halfway between a whimper and a groan, Roy rolled out of bed.

"Turn off that noise before you get us kicked out of this ritzy joint, Junior. I'm up."

Ten minutes later they were walking down the rough sandy beach, cradled by the cliffs looming over them and the fathomless night sky.

"Hey, Roy, remember that rescue we had here last year, the guy who fell from the cliffs? Man, I was worried about you that day. Those waves kept on rollin' in and smashing you against the rocks... I thought you were going to wind up as shark chum."

"Yeah, you were so worried about me you let the copter pick me up first," Roy cracked.

"Hey, I was closer! I had to go up first. I kept an eye on you the whole time, though."

"Oh, I feel much better about the whole thing now."

Johnny started to retort, but his words died away and he stopped walking so suddenly that Roy was two steps ahead of him before he realized that Johnny wasn't with him anymore.

"Hey, Roy, check this out."

Roy turned to see Johnny pointing to an outcropping of rock, which jutted out from the cliffs towering over them into the ocean.

"Let's see what's on the other side, Roy." With that, Johnny began to climb the small rocky hill, finding his footing unerringly in the dark, as nimble as a mountain goat. Roy was less sure, but with Johnny leading the way, he managed to find his footing well enough. Climbing, Roy was reminded of one of the most basic differences between himself and Johnny: while Johnny threw himself headlong into life, unmindful of danger, Roy was careful, thoughtful and methodical. Nothing about the two of them demonstrated this difference more than the way they faced a physical obstacle. Johnny was forever scrambling heedlessly down mountainsides or scampering up towers or buildings while Roy followed along behind, watching closely and placing each foot cautiously.

Roy was suddenly glad that Johnny had insisted on Catalina, and that he had once again capitulated. It was so beautiful here, so wild and rugged... //just like Johnny//, Roy thought. He looked up into the heavens. Stars twinkled in the night sky, as brilliant as diamonds scattered across black velvet. It was so easy living in the city to forget that night is so dark. Fortunately, the moon above had risen, and was full, and gave them just enough light to maneuver without falling.

Suddenly Johnny stopped. "Wow, would you look at that?" Before Roy had time to ask him what he meant, he had scrambled over the last hurdle and disappeared. When Roy reached him, he found Johnny staring at a beautiful body of water on a narrow strip of grainy beach, a natural cove formed by the rocks. He turned and looked at Roy with an expression of heated excitement that Roy knew all too well.

"God, Roy, isn't it gorgeous?"

Roy looked at the water doubtfully. Gorgeous it certainly was, but it was also three o'clock in the morning, and he was tired. "It's lovely. Can we go back to the hotel and go back to bed now?"

"Don't whine, Roy, it doesn't become you." Johnny began gathering driftwood, and as Roy watched, he quickly and skillfully built a roaring campfire.

"I'm always so impressed with your wilderness skills, Johnny."

"Wilderness skills!" Johnny laughed. "Hey, I got wilderness skills you ain't even glimpsed yet, baby," he said and gave Roy a playfully evil grin.

As Roy watched, Johnny began undressing.

"What are you doing?" Roy demanded.

Johnny looked up at him. "I'm taking my clothes off. I'm going for a swim." He pulled his shirt off over his head.

Roy stared at him in disbelief. "You're crazy, Johnny. That water must be freezing."

"It's not that cold." Johnny tossed his shirt on the ground and hooked his thumbs in the waistband of his shorts. He paused and looked at Roy again. "Don't be a pussy, Roy. Take off your clothes and come skinny-dipping with me. When's the last time you did something like that?" He gave Roy a loaded look and in a voice much deeper than his usual light tenor, said, "C'mon Roy. Come in with me. I'll keep you warm."

This invitation was more than Roy could resist and he began to remove his clothes. By the time he was naked, Johnny was already in the water. He floated lazily on his back, his arms spread out to his sides in an almost Christlike pose. Roy cautiously poked one toe into the water. It was indeed very cold, but he had motivation on his side. He drew in a deep breath and waded in.

Once he got over the immediate shock, he realized that the water really wasn't as cold as he first thought. He swam to where Johnny lay in the water and playfully ducked his head under. He came up sputtering, and gave Roy an evil look.

"Oh, you're gonna pay for that, man." Johnny filled his lungs with air, then as Roy tried to swim away, threw both arms around him and dove, taking them both below the surface. Johnny held him tightly, swimming towards the bottom of the pool with Roy kicking and squirming in his arms. When he reached the bottom of the pool, he let Roy go and watched him shoot to the surface.

Looking up into the moonlit night sky from his perspective at the bottom of the cove, Johnny could see the ripples on the surface of the water made by their furious motions of a moment ago. Johnny held onto a submerged rock to hold himself down, and listened as Roy called for him, questioningly at first, then with increasing alarm.

Finally he let go and propelled himself to the surface, emerging from the water right next to Roy.

"Goddammit, Johnny! You scared the hell out of me! Are you crazy?"

Johnny grinned widely, treading water.

"Were you worried about me?" He lowered his chin, looking up at Roy slightly. "Did I get your blood pumping, Roy?"

They treaded water, facing each other, eyes locked, until Johnny made the first move, pulling Roy close to him and putting his arms around his neck. Slowly, he started kicking his feet and turning his body at the same time, sending the two of them spinning in a slow lazy circle. He leaned into Roy, fixing his lips on Roy's neck, kissing and nibbling his way up to suck on Roy's earlobe. Roy pulled away, shuddering, and grabbed Johnny by the head, holding him tightly and staring into his eyes.

Roy marveled at the beauty of the body he held close. Clothed, Johnny just looked skinny. His naked form was stronger and much more fit than most people would guess, and Roy relished the idea that he alone knew the beauty that existed beneath the drab blue uniform that was Johnny's usual attire. It was a costume which did him little justice.

Roy leaned forward to kiss Johnny deeply, running his tongue greedily over his lips and teeth, sucking his tongue hungrily. His hands roamed over Johnny's body while he kissed him, rubbing his shoulders, running his hands over Johnny's chest to tweak his nipples, savoring the feel of steely sinew and hard bone and silken skin. Roy pulled him close, molding their bodies together, feeling the heat of Johnny's erection pressing against his belly, so hot even in the cool water.

"Let's get out of the water, Roy." Johnny panted. "Come on." They swam to the shore and struggled out of the water to fall onto the sand next to the fire. Roy lay next to Johnny and propped himself onto one elbow to gaze down onto his lover. He was so beautiful in the moonlight that Roy ached just to look at him. But when Johnny reached for him, he pulled back.

"I'm not sure about this whole sex-on-the-beach thing, Johnny. There are just some places the good Lord never meant sand to go."

"Take a risk, Roy," Johnny murmured, and Roy surrendered. He wound his hands into Johnny's hair, holding his head still as he lowered his lips to the side of his long, strong throat. Roy's mouth fastened on soft, slightly salty skin. A shiver ran through Johnny's frame, and he moaned. Roy licked lightly at John's neck, smoothing the mark his teeth had made on the tender skin, then began to nibble his way along the tendon to the curve of his ear. Taking the lobe between his teeth, he nipped sharply, relishing Johnny's harsh gasp.

He delicately traced Johnny's lips with the tip of his tongue, tasting them before claiming his lover's mouth, deepening the kiss, forcing Johnny's lips apart, exploring the moist interior of his mouth, thrusting rhythmically against the tongue which was trying to push its way into his own mouth.

All too soon kissing was no longer enough for either man, and Roy slid down Johnny's body, kissing a blazing trail down his chest and belly before his mouth closed around the tip of Johnny's cock. The long elegant fingers of his left hand wrapped around John's shaft, the lazy strokes a counterpoint to the licks and nibbles he lavished along the length of Johnny's straining erection.

Roy removed his mouth from Johnny's cock long enough to stick two of his fingers into it, slurping loudly as he wet them. Johnny, knowing what that sound meant, squirmed in breathless anticipation.

Then the blazing hot mouth was back at his shaft and Roy's hand slipped between John's splayed thighs. Johnny petted Roy restlessly, rubbing his skull, tangling his hands in his hair, running his hands along the chiseled bones of his face as Roy expertly slid a finger into John's ass, rubbing lightly, searching for and finding the small bump of his prostate. Johnny cried out harshly and arched against the invasion. He found himself helpless to stop the small sounds coming from his throat, low, keening moans, one after another until they blended into a continuous whimper.

Roy worked harder, his mouth relentless, his tongue laving and sharp teeth grazing John's cock as his fingers pumped a counter rhythm in his ass. Johnny tossed his head and writhed almost as if he wanted to get away, arching his back as Roy drove him higher and higher and higher until his orgasm finally hit and he screamed up at the night sky, pumping his essence down his partner's willing throat.

Roy moved up John's body and kissed him, and Johnny savored the flavor on his tongue, sucking it greedily into his mouth. "Now you," he whispered, and moved to take Roy's cock into his hand, only to find it sticky and softening quickly.

"Sorry. I guess I couldn't wait."

Johnny smiled and pulled Roy to him, cradling his head against his chest. "Oh, man. That was ... good."

He felt the movement against his chest that indicated Roy was smiling. "Yeah, it wasn't bad. Does leave me with a question, though."

"Yeah?"

"We've got six more days of vacation left. How are we going to top this?"

Johnny chuckled. "Catalina has many waters, partner. I think we should christen them all, don't you?"

 

The End