Sharing Souls

by Sarah Saint Ives

disclaimer: Characters are not mine. Slash

Fandom: due South fanfic.

Pairing Benton Fraser/Ray Kowalski pairing.

Summary: PWP.

Sharing Souls
by Sarah Saint Ives

Benton Fraser stood firegazing as the flickering orange flames danced in the fireplace. He knew Ray had entered the cabin, but felt powerless to turn his eyes from the movement of the heat and greet him. He stood there, mesmerized, the pain lessened until awareness returned.

"Hey, Fraser, you okay?" Ray Kowalski gave him a light punch in the arm. "You're zoning, dude."

With a tremendous effort, Ben tore his gaze from the fire and met the curious eyes. "I'm fine. Except for my back. I slipped in the mud carrying in wood and pulled a muscle in my lower back."

Ray frowned. "When? Just now?"

"No, a few hours ago."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"I didn't think it was serious at the time."

"It's serious?"

"It hurts."

"Take off your shirt."

"My shirt?"

"I can't rub your back through the material. Take it off."

"Completely off?"

"Yeah, Doofus. Completely off."

"Ray, you don't have to feel obligated..."

"Fraser, take off the damn shirt before I rip it off you."

Ben stared at him as he removed the shirt.

"Now lie down on the rug."

The mountie's range of motion was restricted due to back pain. With difficulty, he went to his hands and knees on the hearth rug, spread himself out cautiously until he was lying on his stomach in front of the fireplace. Ray took off his coat and gloves, then knelt beside his friend on the rug. He laid both hands flat in the middle of the other man's back and began to slowly massage the smooth flesh. "There. How does that feel?"

"It feels good, Ray." Ben's tense posture relaxed a bit. "Thank you."

The hands traveled from the center to the shoulders, then downward to the lower back, bordering the belt line. "Does it hurt lower?" he asked, tracing a line across his body beneath the belt.

"Yes, the worst pain is there."

"Then you'll have to take off your pants."

Ben cleared his throat nervously, but nodded. Lifting his hips, he unbuckled, unbuttoned and unzipped the belt and pants. He pushed them down to the center of his rounded butt, exposing red thermal underwear.

"Those, too. Everything has to come off." Ray said. There was a light shining in his blue eyes. "Need some help?"

"Yes, please."

Ray took hold of the waistband of the underwear and tugged. His eyes rolled at the sight of the pale buttocks, then the muscular thighs as trousers and underwear were peeled down the gorgeous body. The boots were removed so the other garments would slide off over the thick socks. Ray took off the socks, too, and laid all the clothing aside. Then he turned back to a totally naked Fraser. The sight made him breathless.

"Did anybody ever tell you that you're beautiful?" Ray asked, peacefully massaging the lower back.

Ben turned his head and tried to look back over his shoulder. He was able to glimpse a blurry peripheral view of his friend. "Ray, I'm not beautiful."

"Yes, you are." Ray argued. "You're absolutely, positively beautiful."

After a few seconds of pondering silence, Ben asked, "Is there a punchline to this?"

Ray shook his head as he gently rubbed circles on the dimples at the top of the mountie's butt. "No punchline, babe. I just made a statement that happens to be true."

Ben cleared his throat again and spoke very levelly. "Thank you."

The hands continued downward, onto the cheeks of the firm butt. "It wasn't really a compliment, Ben. It was just an observation."

"You know, Ray, men don't really say that to one another. Most men don't even seem to...."

Ray swatted his bare butt and interrupted. "I'm not most men, Fraser, and neither are you. And anyway, I love you. I have the right to tell you you're beautiful."

Ben said nothing. His body trembled.

"You okay?" Ray carefully turned him onto his back to face him.

"Yes, I'm much better now. Thank you for the massage." Ben's blue eyes were wide with anticipation.

"Can I ask you for something without you getting all talky?"

"You mean you want me to give you a yes or no answer?"

"Yeah, that's what I mean."

"I'll try."

"Can I kiss you?"

Fraser's lips quivered. "Ray...."

"A yes or no answer!" Ray insisted.

Ben's eyes dropped to the full lips. He studied their texture, their shape, their sensual motions. Finally, he nodded. "Yes."

Ray leaned close, until their faces were an inch apart. He paused and whispered, "You sure?"

Ben nodded again and raised his arms to encircle his friend's neck. "I'm sure."

Ray kissed him and found it returned. It was the sweetest kiss either man had ever experienced. They clung desperately at their first passionate taste.

When they drew back and smiled, Ben spoke affectionately. "I love you, too, Ray."

Ray kissed him again.

Fraser ran a knuckle tenderly over his cheek. "You know, there is a tribe of Indians who live on a small island northwest of Alaska who believe that when you kiss, your risk partially losing your soul. They actually believe that two people can *share* souls when..."

"Fraser..."

Fraser quieted and looked into his eyes. "Hm?"

"My soul already belongs to you." Ray said, and kissed him again.

Ben closed his eyes ardently, expelled a long sigh as the kiss ended. He lightly cupped Ray's cheek. "And mine to you." he murmured.



end