Title: Hello Destiny

Author: Sarah Saint Ives

Archive: Already Archived.

Email for Feedback: mycuppa@yahoo.com

Fandom: Highlander/Diagnosis Murder

Pairing: Duncan/Steve, Duncan/Methos, Steve/Jesse

Warnings: Some momentary violence, nothing permanent.

Rating: R

Summary: MacLeod and Steve Sloan have a destiny together.

Notes: This story was supposed to be part of a zine called "Spectrums in Slash", but I thought it would be better read here.


*******************
HELLO, DESTINY
by Sarah Saint Ives
*******************

The classic Ford ThunderBird convertible, top down, sped along the gravel road, left a cloud of dust behind it. Small wildlife scurried for cover in the shadowy woods. A hawk sailed overhead with widespread wings, screeching out hearty welcomes and bitter warnings. There had not been a house, a barn, even a broken-down shack for a considerable distance now; just miles and miles of very tall trees, bushes and high weeds with the road between. Squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, every other sort of little animal had scampered or hopped out of their path, but there were no indications of human habitation.

Methos sprawled a bit uncomfortably with his arm resting on the passenger door, drumming his fingers on the outside of the window casing. "So, Mac," he addressed the driver. "I keep
hoping you'll give it up and explain this to me. Where are we going? And why are we going there?"

"I told you, Methos, I don't know." Duncan MacLeod held the wheel like a divining rod, driving with a purpose.

When they had left MacLeod's home ten hours ago, Methos had not known it would come to this. They had been having supper together, had barely taken the first bite, when suddenly,
Duncan had fallen backward and grabbed his head as if he were in terrible pain.

Methos had run to him to help him up in great concern, but MacLeod had viewed him with an eerie expression and said simply, "I have to go. I have to leave immediately."

Fearing for his head and his sanity, Methos had not let him come alone. He hoped to eventually learn a logical motive for MacLeod's behavior, but the long drive was getting tiresome and the man behind the wheel was irrational. Ten hours and still no explanation!

They were in God's country, now, the land that nobody else claimed; northern California. Who knew where they were headed? Methos yawned.

Then, abruptly, Duncan stopped the car and sat thinking. "We're here." he said, with a little shrug.

Methos nodded, thinking he had finally slipped over the edge into the spiraling tangent of lunacy. "*What's* here?"

"I don't know yet. But I can feel that this is the place I need to be--or at least I'm very close."

"Good, because I'm getting *very* hungry."

Duncan had not been himself through this entire ten hours, but now, he smiled languidly at Methos. "You're always hungry. If you weren't immortal, you'd weigh three hundred pounds."

Methos sighed relief at the familiarity. "Yeah, probably. But, if you will recall, we missed the last couple of meals. Our supper got interrupted, remember? I've spent the past ten hours just watching you drive like a robot."

"Sorry. I don't know what's happening to me, Methos. I just know I'm supposed to be here."

"I know." Methos actually felt sympathy for him. He reached across to pat his knee. "Let's just find a place where they sell food, now, okay?"

Duncan put the car in gear and drove.

^^^^^^^

Jesse Travis stopped the new, blue Oldsmobile at the rail fence along the wooden sidewalk. "Wow, out of the old west. It looks a little like Dodge City, but we're not in Kansas, we're in northern California! Redwood country." he swept an arm to indicate the skyscraping trees obscuring the sunlight to their distant right and left. "So, who do you know here, Steve?"

Steve Sloan shook his head. "Nobody."

"Then why are we here? What's going on? I mean...I hate to complain, but this is getting more frightening all the time, here, Steve. I've never seen you like this before. We've been driving for hours! I'm going to miss work today, and so are you! Your dad will be seriously pissed at me because I volunteered to take his shift today in the ER so he could teach a special Forensics class! They'll have the militia out looking for us!"

"I know. I'll call Dad in a little while and tell him where we are." the tall man said meekly. "I just...I'm supposed to be here."

"But it's like a ghost town!" Jesse waved his hands to include the immediate area, which resembled the set of a Clint Eastwood movie. "Look at it!"

Steve flinched at the emptiness of their surroundings. "It's where I'm supposed to be." he said helplessly.

"Steve," Jesse turned to him. "I drove you here because I thought you were sick. I thought maybe you had an accident, hit your head or something--maybe you had knocked yourself crazy. I damn sure wasn't going to let you take off alone, so I offered to come with you to keep
an eye on you. But now you're really scaring me. Tell me what's going on."

Steve shrugged. "I don't know. I just know..."

"I know! I know! You're supposed to be here." Jesse gestured wildly again. "This is surreal! Look at this place! I don't see *anybody*!"

"They're coming." Steve assured him. "I can feel a... presence? Yeah...you could call it that. They're coming. They'll be here soon."

Jesse shivered and looked away. "Do you want to get out and walk around?"

Steve stepped out, tall and handsome, with eyes that held premonition. "Let's check out the saloon." he suggested.

Jesse, a head shorter with unruly blonde hair and elfin features, walked beside him to the sagging swinging doors. Inside, the place was a wreck, dusty cobwebs hanging in great lacy layers from the broken balcony and the rusty chandelier, tables and chairs in a disarray, overturned, crushed, splinters scattered on the dirty, partially rotten wooden floor. The bar was intact, but the wood had long since turned to gray. Behind it were empty shelves that had once contained liquors.

"Wow, this is neat." Jesse murmured, stepping inside.

He immediately did a little jig to disengage a spider that fell onto his red buttondown shirt. Flipping it away, he swore beneath his breath.

Steve was striding across the floor, only three steps for those long, muscular legs to reach the bar. He leaned over it to look beneath. More empty shelves.

"This place is filthy." Jesse complained. "What are you looking for?"

"Nothing. Just looking." Steve straightened up and turned to face him, one foot propped on a barstool rung, his elbows back against the bar. "How do I look?"

Jesse nodded with mild sarcasm. "Yeah." he said, giving him a thumb up. "Macho. Real western. All you need is a white hat. Wish I had a camera."

Steve smiled, but it faded into a strange, ominous gaze. "You need to get rid of that red shirt. It's a little gaudy for this wilderness country."

Looking down at himself, Jesse said, "Sorry, I didn't bring a travel bag. This is it. I don't have
anything else to wear."

"You shouldn't wear red. It makes you look too..."

Jesse stood suspended in a shrug until the big man found the word for which he had been searching.

"*Pretty*."

The shrug collapsed and Jesse stared at him in mild exasperation. "I'm too *pretty*?" he demanded. "Steve, what the hell is that supposed to mean? Red makes me too *pretty*?"

"It does. So take it off, okay?"

The young doctor sighed and took off the shirt, revealing a tight pink undershirt with a low-cut neckline.

Steve Sloan rolled his eyes and bit off a mild curse.

"Shit. Okay, put the shirt back on. Just stay close to me and let's hope no one else sees you. I'll end up having to kill some poor bastard for coming onto you."

Jesse shook his head, troubled by Steve's strange behavior.

^^^^^^^

The black T'Bird stopped beside the Olds and the two immortals got out, stretching as they looked around them. Methos cleared his throat as he viewed the buildings on either side of the dirt roads. "Very interesting place here, Mac. What do you say we go get us a sarsaperillo over to the saloon?"

Duncan's deep brown eyes were preternaturally shining. "It's a ghost town, Methos. There's nobody minding the store."

"How about the Oldsmobile? *Someone's* here."

"Yes. I believe this is the person I am here to meet."

Methos glanced around worriedly. "I don't feel any other immortals around."

"No, they're not immortals."

Steve emerged from the saloon and the instant his eyes met Duncan's, he began to walk straight toward him. Jesse and Methos stood back, watching in puzzlement. Neither had any idea what the two of them would do. Duncan matched Steve's stride, moved gracefully closer until they met just short of the wooden sidewalk, where they stopped and gazed intently at each other--just stood there, eyes locked for several minutes.

Then, without prelude, they stepped into a crushing embrace.

The tension Jesse and Methos had experienced relaxed a bit. They glanced at each other, exchanging a greeting half-smile. Methos went to Jesse's side to ask him about the location of the nearest steakhouse, but, as he glanced again at their two friends, his jaw dropped in awe.

Steve and Duncan had drawn back from their clench to engage in long, lingering, luxurious kiss; a lover's kiss. It went on and on, not ending on cue the way the onlookers expected. It was a kiss that transcended all comprehension, their minds, hearts and spirits finally at peace, finally together.

The minutes ticked by and they watched, not knowing what to do or say. Methos looked at his watch, then at Jesse. "I should take this opportunity to tell you that I have always admired the old west." he said conversationally.

"Yeah, me, too." Jesse wanted to step forward and interfere in the kiss. He wanted to stop it. "This is unbelievable." he said anxiously.

Methos was in agreement. "Do they even know each other?"

"Evidently."

Then, prompted, the two kissers drew back to gaze into each other's eyes. Enchanted, Steve smiled at the Scot. "Hello, Destiny." he said softly.

"Hello, yourself." Duncan answered, his voice gurgly and warm.

"What's your name?" Steve asked.

"Duncan MacLeod. And yours?"

"Steve Sloan."

"Oh, well," Jesse said, waving wildly again. "I was *mistaken*! They *didn't* know each other! What the hell is up with the *kiss*!"

Methos was in awe, but he stepped forward. "Mac? Mac, may I talk to you for a minute? Could you excuse us for a minute, Mr. Sloan?"

For a fleeting moment, Steve considered refusing to give him up. Then, he conceded and backed away with a smile. "Sure. No problem. And it's *Lieutenant* Sloan."

"Excuse me, Lieutenant." Methos caught MacLeod by the elbow, hauling him several steps away, noting that the look on his face was trance-like. He was completely passive, but was
very single-minded, one determination, his eyes intently on Steve. "Yes, yes. What do you want?" he asked anxiously as they approached a distance where they would not be overheard.

"Are you out of your mind? Mac, what the hell are you doing? Think about what just happened!" Methos shook his shoulders demandingly.

Duncan looked into his eyes. "He's the reason I'm here." he said. "We drew each other."

"What?" Methos wanted to groan. "How could that be?

Duncan, this doesn't make sense. Think about it."

"I don't need to think about it. It's already prearranged. Steve and I have a destiny together." Duncan moved to take a step, but Methos blocked him. He could see that Jesse was asking questions of Steve, probably the same questions he was demanding of Duncan, and that Steve's
eyes were as riveted to Duncan as Duncan's were to Steve.

"Whatever this is about..." Methos reached to cup the olive face, forcing him to look at him. "If you and Steve are destined to be lovers forever, and that makes you happy, fine. I'm happy for you. But I don't want to lose you in the process, and I don't want you to lose yourself in someone you do not know. How do you know this isn't all an elaborate trick to take our heads?"

Duncan hugged him. "It's not. Trust me. I'll be fine, and you're not going to lose me, Methos. That's not what this is about."

"Then what is this about?"

"I don't know yet. But I will soon. I need to go to him, now. We need to be together."

"Ah, shit...Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod...you're hopeless. Go on. Go." Sighing and shaking his head, Methos released him. He watched the direct path he made back to Steve, distinctly heard the theme music from The Twilight Zone.

^^^^^^^

Jesse and Methos were left waiting as Duncan and Steve drove away in the T'Bird. They had said they would be back within the hour, no longer. All four men carried cellular phones, so if they were not back as promised, within the hour, one of the worried friends could call.

"Let's get in the car." the young doctor suggested. "We can wait there."

They were tired from their long trip. Methos found the Olds was roomy and stretched out in the passenger's seat. "Do you think, perhaps, we could take a nap?" he asked.

"Go ahead. The seats recline." Jesse's face was troubled.

Methos sympathized. "So, they had never met, but something drew them together. I don't know what's going on, either. Not that Duncan hasn't acted out of character before, but this is absurd. Do you think we should follow them?"

Jesse considered it. "No. Steve would be pissed at me if I did that. I just wish he could make me understand all this."

Methos nodded. "Me, too." He turned in the seat, spying a cooler in the back seat. "You have any food in there?" he asked.

"Just some cokes."

Methos reached to get one. "I'm starved. We've gone ten hours without stopping. I'm afraid his
inconsideration has rendered me a bit impoverished."

Jesse reached back to get a carrybag and unzipped it, digging in. There were clothes inside; Steve's. After a short search, he came up with a bag of chips and handed it to Methos. "They'd better come back before the hour is up." he said, watching the road.

Methos opened the chips and chomped on one, offering some to Jesse, who reached in and got a handful. "I think I'm simply having a deranged nightmare." he said. "I've been having nightmares since the day I became immortal, you know. Century upon century upon bloody *century* of horrible, demonish nightmares. Sometimes I wake up screaming, although not as often as Duncan, I'm afraid. His are worse because, even after four centuries, he still hasn't learned to cope with the unfavorable aspects of this fucking curse. It requires a resolute, unflappable mindset and just...going on with other things...and not thinking about it any more than absolutely necessary."

"Immortal." Jesse said without much inflection. "Unflappable. Yeah. I see. Very interesting."

Methos nodded obliviously as he chewed more chips.

PART 2

"Pull in right over here." Steve pointed to an overgrown, abandoned park area where a few picnic table remained.

The lake was muddy and neglected, tall weeds in its shallow edges. Frogs thrived here; they could hear them as soon as Duncan stopped the motor.

"You want to walk?" Duncan asked.

"Yeah." Steve got out and walked round the car to meet him. He took his hands and softly gazed at him gently. He kissed him again, held him desperately. "My precious destiny." he murmured into his ear. "I just met you and already I would die for you."

Duncan returned the sentiments without restraint. "I love you. I knew I loved you before I met you." The song playing on the radio echoed their words and became their own personal convictions. This moment would always be remembered.

Time passed quickly through their first few dozen passionate kisses. When they came up for air, Duncan moaned lustfully and glimpsed at his wristwatch. Time was pressing. "I don't know what this is all about and, right now, I don't care. All I want is to spend the night in your arms."

"Yes, me, too." Steve said. "I'm as confused as you. I was drawn to you over a lot of miles. I don't know what it is, but, baby, *you're* it."

Duncan smiled at him, touching his face. "I've never felt anything like this in my life."

"Neither have I."

"What do you want from me, Steve?"

"You. I just want you--anyway I can get you."

"We have to be together." Duncan concluded. "There's a reason the two of us have to be..."

"Have to be together in a big way." Steve finished, kissing him again. "I don't want to just sit beside you on the couch and hold your hand when we watch TV. Something tells me we have something to do-- something important. Whatever it is, it's more important than anything else in my life. We have something to do, Duncan."

"Other than the obvious." Duncan said. "Yes, I feel that, too. What is it?"

"I don't know. At this moment, it doesn't matter." Steve kissed him tenderly again. "One thing at a time. We'll figure it out."

More and more kisses followed. They became lost in them, consumed by the carnal pleasure. They were at peace in the sanctity of their intimacy.

^^^^^^^

Steve pulled away, noting that their hour was up. "We have to go." he groaned. "I can't believe that hour went by so fast. It seemed like only a few minutes." He held Duncan, reluctant to be on their way, and delayed the moment as long as possible.

His cellphone rang. He sighed loudly, reached into his pocket to get it and flip it open. "Hello, Jesse."

Jesse's voice came though loudly, causing the ardent lieutenant to wince away from the earpiece. "What's taking you so long? That hour you asked for is up! Methos and I would
like to go get some dinner, thank you very much. We're both really tired, hungry and getting extremely irritated!"

Steve straightened his back, feeling his own fatigue. "Okay, Jess. We're on our way."

"We'll meet you on the road, okay? I don't know how much longer I can go on like this."

"Okay. See you in a minute."

Duncan assumed the guilt as Steve pocketed his cell phone. "I'm sorry. I know they have to be tired. I dragged Methos along, too. They care about us and we've left them wondering what's wrong with us. Methos thinks I'm ready for a rubber room."

Kissing him again, Steve nodded. "Let's go."

The two vehicles met and stopped side by side. Jesse and Duncan rolled down their driver's windows. Jesse spoke impatiently. "Where are we going, Steve? Home sounds good."

Steve pointed. "Let us turn around and lead the way. You follow, okay? There's a town. I don't think it's too far." His eyes met Jesse's. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine. I'm just very tired."

Duncan spoke next. "What about you, Methos?"

"Of course *I'm* okay." Methos answered. "Did you ever know me when I *wasn't*? Are *you* okay?" His eyes were demandingly on Duncan's face.

"I'm fine." Duncan answered.

"I see." Sarcasm dripped. "Your lips are swollen, your skin is flushed. You need some chapstick?"

Duncan shook his head. "We'll talk later, Methos."

Methos nodded. "Okay." he said simply, gesturing to him. "Lead on."

^^^^^^^

They met other vehicles along the road, which thrilled them. They had driven nearly forty miles west to reach Low Creek, California, and when they parked the cars in front of the gas
station/convenience store/video tape rental store/cafe, they were ready for civilization.

They went into the store, choosing the cafe end of the building and seated themselves at a table covered with a red and white checkered tablecloth. A waitress came to take their order; a
pony-tailed teenager who chewed gum as she talked and wrote large letters with her left hand to record their choices. Then, promising to have it out in a 'jiffy', she disappeared into the kitchen.

Jesse gazed up curiously at Steve. "What's going on with you and Duncan?"

"We'll talk about that later. We haven't figured it out, ourselves." Steve said, looking more helpless than Jesse had ever seen him.

Methos sat studying them. "Everything that's happened for the last ten...twelve hours was weird. I'm practiced in the art of forbearance, but I'm growing weary of it. Mac, do you have any semblance of explanation?"

MacLeod shook his head. "No, Methos, I don't. You'll know when I know."

Methos, who was sitting at his left, put a hand on his knee under the table and spoke quietly. "Duncan, you know I care about you. Don't forget that."

"I won't. How could I forget?" Duncan awkwardly touched his hand.

Methos caught the hand. "Is there something I can do to help?"

"I don't think so."

Methos leaned to whisper in his ear. "Should we go to the bathroom so we can talk in private?"

"They're in this as much as we are. Whatever it is, they are not the enemy."

Methos nodded, satisfied that at least they had allies. He glanced at Steve, who was sitting opposite him, gazing serenely at Duncan's face. "I think he's smitten." he whispered. "Mac,
for you to be...like this with him...I want you to understand that it doesn't set well with me. I don't like this, not at all."

When Duncan's eyes met Steve's, they exchanged a smile so sweet it could have passed for a kiss. Methos shook his head. "Mac..."

MacLeod looked around at him with a contented little glimpse. "Hm?"

"Not in here." Methos warned.

"We'll behave ourselves. What do you think we are--animals? We know how to conduct ourselves in public." Duncan assured him, then turned to Steve again. He reached for
Steve's hand beneath the table and held it.

Jesse was still completely baffled. "You two had never met, never even *heard* of each other, and suddenly you're drawn together like this and this is what you act like when you get together?"

They looked at him as if he had said something totally ridiculous.

"Your point is...?" Steve said.

Jesse sighed and looked away. "Never mind."

Methos felt sorry for him. He put a hand on his shoulder. "I think we should knock them both in the heads and tie them up 'til they come to their senses." he said.

"Not a bad idea." Jesse said lowly.

^^^^^^^

The food was delicious. They ate ravenously as the young waitress informed them that lodgings were closeby--a motel 'two miles down on the left...can't miss it'. They found it three miles down, a left, a sharp right back through a small subdivision, through two stop signs, another right, second building on the left. They had followed worse directions.

The four of them went to the desk together. The caretaker was an old woman with a Spanish accent. She told them quickly that there were no vacancies in the motel, but that she would rent them a two-bedroom mobile home unit across the parking lot for a small fee. It was fully furnished, all utilities and appliances functional, even cable TV. To the four road-weary travelers, it looked like a paradise.

They gave her the money and she led them to the trailer, which didn't look bad. It was recently painted green and white. It looked to be roughly about 10' x 30', plenty large enough to serve the purpose. At this point, a tent would have been satisfactory.

The aroma of incense hung in the air, along with the unmistakable odor of recently-smoked marijuana. Tiny, twisted fragments left in the ashtray on the counter and a small, round scorch-mark in the formica told the rest of the story. The floor was covered with worn green carpet except for the kitchen and the bathroom. A mock bar separated the kitchen and living room. The kitchen area had the sink, a stove, a counter, refrigerator, cabinets and shelves around the walls, and in the center of the area was a square table and four chairs. The living room had a green couch, a matching chair, an end table in the corner between them, a small coffee table
in front of the couch and a 19" color TV on a basic TV stand. The bedrooms were not large. In the smaller one was a twin bed, but the master bedroom had a double bed.

Which meant somebody was sleeping on the couch. Which was fine with them.

"Is there air conditioning?" Methos asked.

"Sure is. Right over there." The lady pointed.

Methos turned it on. "Are there any extra pillows and blankets in there in the closets?" he asked.

"Back closet."

He went to get them, piling them on the couch. "I've got my spot. The rest of you can do--as they say-- whatever floats your boat. Good night. I'm going to sleep." He began making a bed on the couch, waving as the caretaker lady left them alone.

Jesse sighed again. "I guess I'll try to get some sleep in that little bed in there and let you two discuss your destiny together." he said to his tall friend.

Steve nodded. "Thanks, Jesse. I appreciate that."

Emotionally, Jesse stepped forward and hugged him, then went to the small bedroom and got ready for bed.

Methos had already made himself comfortable on the couch. "I suppose this means I get the TV." he announced, lifting the remote off the coffee table.

Duncan leaned over him and kissed him on the cheek. "Keep it down. We all need sleep." he said. "Good night."

Methos caught him before he could get away, trapped him in a bear-hug and kissed him just below the ear. "Don't tease me like that, Mac. You should know by now, that with me, it's all or nothing."

"No, it's not. You'll never give me that ultimatum. You're too good for that."

"You assume too much, MacLeod. What did I ever do that led you to that gross misconception?"

Duncan straightened. "Good night, Methos."

"Good night." Methos sighed and released him.

^^^^^^^

Steve snuggled close to Duncan as he pulled the top sheet tautly over them. Playfully, he rolled on top of him and kissed him. Then, raising up, he looked lovingly down at the stranger beneath him and asked, "What's happening here? How can we feel like this when we don't know anything about each other?"

Duncan's fingers came up to push Steve's hair back from his forehead. "It was so strong, the feeling that led me to you, and this thing between us is stronger than anything I ever felt. It baffles me. It intrigues me. It mystifies me. I just wish it made sense to me."

"Me, too." Steve said. "But you know something? I don't think we're half as scared as our two friends in there. They're really worried about us."

"I know. And I can't say anything to make things better."

"I think we're supposed to take care of this thing between us before we try to make things better with them." Steve said. He kissed him again, gently. "You are so beautiful." he murmured. "Simply beautiful. Tell me about yourself. Tell me what you are, what you do. Tell me who Duncan MacLeod is."

Duncan was gazing into his eyes. "You're the one who's beautiful." he whispered, enraptured, then forced a fraction of his presence of mind. He ran a careful hand over Steve's bare back beneath the covers, then onto his butt, which was also bare, then brought the hand back to his hair again. "I'm an immortal." he confessed on impulse. "I'm more than four hundred years old. I
was born in the highlands of Scotland in 1592."

"That makes you pretty old." Steve wasn't as amazed as he had expected, merely accepted the statement without question.

"Methos is over five thousand years old. He's the oldest immortal I've ever met." A little shaken that he had just blurted out his most well-kept secret, he asked, "Have you ever met another immortal?"

"No." Steve kissed him softly. "Immortals. I knew you were special. And you're going to share it with me. Is that it?"

The realization struck Duncan. "That's it! That's what I'm supposed to do! You're mortal, but I can make you immortal by giving you...I don't know how...I don't know what...I don't *know*, Steve. Do you know?"

Steve nodded. "Let me make love to you." he answered, kissing him passionately again. He was initiating sexual contact now, between Duncan's legs. On top of him, he slid his erect organ into the crack of Duncan's butt.

Duncan could barely breathe for the rapture he felt. He felt the electric vibrations making his entire body quiver. He knew that Steve was going to enter him and he wanted it more than anything he had ever wanted in his life. Drawing up his knees, he gave him access to the anal opening.

Applying the necessary lubrication, Steve made the penetration without foreplay.

Duncan gasped in sudden pain, sudden shock, sudden intense heat. He cried out involuntarily and found it smothered by Steve's hand over his mouth.

"I'm sorry." Steve apologized quickly. "You okay?"

Duncan hugged him desperately. "Oh, Steve, it hurts so good."

Jesse called to them from his bed. "Is everything okay in there?"

"Yeah, we're fine." Steve answered.

"Mac?" Methos' ironic tone was weary. "Tell me you're not having wild sex in there."

Duncan smiled in spite of himself. Peeling Steve's palm from his face, he answered, "I can't tell you that, Methos. Sorry I woke you. Go back to sleep now, okay?"

"I hurt you." Steve whispered, berating himself, backing out to look at possible damage he had done.

"No, I'm fine. I certainly didn't want you to stop." Duncan reached for him. "Come back here and finish what you started." He pulled him close, kissing him again.

He had seen no blood. Steve smiled and entered into him again. This time, Duncan was able to contain himself better, alternating frantic pants, moans and passionate whines. Steve found himself so turned on he felt the urge to cry out himself. If Methos and Jesse weren't in hearing
distance, he would have allowed himself to vocalize his enjoyment at a much higher volume. As it was, he bit his lower lip and kept his exhilaration silent.

In the sweet afterglow, Steve swore he had seen hot lightning zapping around the room, originating from Duncan's writhing body and striking him with every throe of his incredible
orgasm. It was, indeed, the wildest and the most wonderful sex Police Lieutenant Steve Sloan had ever had.

^^^^^^^

"You're an immortal now." Duncan whispered in his ear. "I don't know how it worked, but you'll be one of us, now. You're going to be an immortal."

Steve kissed him several times before he spoke. "I think I would want you even if there wasn't a predestined reason. You are just too damn sexy for your own good."

Duncan's arms were around his neck. "You're the one who's too sexy. Just look at you. I want you so bad."

"I want you worse." Steve kissed him again. "But I'm exhausted and by the looks of you, I think you are, too. You think we could sleep a while now?"

"We can try." Duncan said, settling in as they snuggled close. "Do you want to know about how immortals live?"

Steve yawned. "Tell me later, okay? If you tell me now, I don't think I would get any sleep."

Sleep didn't come easily, even without the gruesome details Steve surmised about immortals. In the form of a concerned friend, imposition came to add to the problem. Methos padded in sock feet to the door, rapping lightly as he poked in his head. "Mac, I..." He began.

Duncan raised up to see what he wanted. "What, Methos?"

"I feel the presence..."

"Of a pre-immortal?" Duncan smiled. "Steve's going to be one of us now. He hasn't *become* one of us yet, but he will."

Methos stared at him in the darkness. "Why, pray tell, didn't I feel it before?"

"Because he wasn't one before. I gave him part of mine." Duncan said.

Now, Methos' gray eyes were wide. "How? How did you do that?"

Duncan shrugged. "I don't know how. I don't know why. And I don't know if it's something that's ever happened before. I just know it happened this time."

"What made it happen?" Methos asked, dubiously.

Duncan grunted in embarrassment, glancing around to Steve, then back to Methos. Finally, he answered, lowly, "We made love."

Methos understood. "Maybe that's what this is really all about. Who's to say? Maybe all the fighting, all the killing, all the 'there can be only one' business...maybe that was always just
bullshit."

"You guys paint a pretty picture, you know that?" Steve said, his arms crossed over his magnificent chest.

Duncan nodded, thinking.

Steve yawned again. "By the way, I'd prefer not to be discussed as if I weren't lying here listening, guys. Do you mind? Maybe we should get some sleep. Could we talk about it when
we wake up?"

Methos nodded, leaving reluctantly. "Yes, good night..."

Successfully putting it out of his mind, Steve cuddled up close to his new lover and fell asleep, but Duncan laid awake for nearly an hour, pondering the real meaning of life and immortality.

PART 3

It was dark when Duncan opened his eyes again. He shivered from the cold as he rose and stumbled to the bathroom. As he washed his hands, he stared at himself in the mirror for a
long time, letting the water run. A tap at the door and the taletell presence immediately alerted him that it was Methos. He opened the door and let him in.

Methos hugged him, ignoring the fact that his hands were dripping and that he was wearing nothing at all. "Mac, what's the big idea of you giving him a slice of your immortality?" he
asked. "Explain yourself."

"Are you jealous, Methos?"

Methos closed the door with his foot, secluding them inside the small room. "I supposed you might ascertain that." he admitted. "Nothing to get worked up about, mind you. I just
...I love you, Mac, and I don't want to see you get hurt again. I've stood by and watched your catastrophic affairs with various women, and I never interfered, even when I saw the train wreck about to happen."

"I beg your pardon?" Duncan argued. "You never interfered?"

"Well, Kristin was the exception. I couldn't let her keep using you."

"You loved me even then?"

"Of course I did. I've loved you since the moment I laid eyes on you. Lightly scaling the Scot's facial bones, the old immortal sighed, "Duncan MacLeod, of the clan MacLeod, heart of my
hearts, if you must be with a man, why can't it be with me?"

Duncan smiled at him. "Do you want it like that between us, Methos?"

Looking into those deep brown eyes, Methos nodded. "I'd rather it be me than him. No...that was too timid. Yes, definitely...firmly...decidedly. I want it like that between us."

"Methos," Duncan looked very troubled now. "You never told me."

Methos kissed him quickly on the lips, then backed away from him. "I never thought you were *interested* in men before. Never fear, my love. I'll be patient." he said. "Patience is a virtue, right?"

"Methos, I care about you. You know that." Duncan's lower lip trembled.

Methos couldn't stand it. "When are you going to talk to me about it? When are we going to be honest with each other? You screwed a man and it made him an immortal. That doesn't compute. I've lived five thousand years and in all that time, I've never heard of it happening that way before. What happened here tonight was as you said--it was destiny. Maybe you *are* supposed to be with him. If that's the way it's meant to be, I'll bow out gracefully. Who am I to hog the lap of destiny? I simply wish it known that I loved you first."

Duncan looked down.

"Is Steve the first man you've been with like that?"

Duncan couldn't look at him. "No, but it didn't make anybody else immortal. I've been with women it didn't make immortal, too. We all have. It was just Steve. That feeling, Methos." He put his hands on Methos' shoulders. "That feeling that drove me here to him and him to me. We had to find each other. We were left no choice. If I hadn't come, I would have been driven crazy."

Methos nodded and reached to pet his hair. "That's what this feels like. Craziness. I know it has to be something of a different force because he's immortal now, but, to me, it feels dreadful."

"Because you're jealous." Duncan reminded him.

Methos leaned to kiss him again and this time it lasted several seconds. When he drew back, he gave him an injured look. "I don't want to lose you."

"You won't lose me, Methos." Duncan's hands were on his face. His eyes were beseeching.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Methos sighed and nodded. His hand slid down to pat Duncan's bare butt as he opened the door to leave. He found himself face to face with Steve. "Hi, Steve." he said to the tall cop.

Steve smiled tightly. "Hi, Methos."

Methos' brown eyes scaled appreciatively up and down Steve's muscular, nude body, then he glanced back at Duncan with a flirtatious waggle of his eyebrows. "I want us to talk later." he said.

"We will," Duncan promised. "Later. Tomorrow or the next day."

Methos left them alone together again.

^^^^^^^

It was daylight by the time Jesse woke again, teeth chattering as he took his turn in the toilet. He went to the living room with the intentions of turning off the air conditioner.

"Don't turn it off." Methos said before he could turn the knob. "If you're cold, close your door. I like it."

Jesse shook his head. "It's too cold, Methos. What are you, an Eskimo?"

"I just like it cold when I'm resting." Methos answered.

Jesse hesitated a minute. "Are you awake? I mean... enough to talk a minute?"

Methos nodded and sat up, making room for him on the couch. He patted the spot beside him and lifted the end of the covers for him.

Jesse huddled beneath the covers by his side. "Damn, you're warm under here. No wonder you want the air left on. How do you stay so warm as thin as you are?"

"I have a very high metabolism." Methos put an arm around him, an act of familiarity that seemed to pass with an eerie ease. "Tell me what's on your mind." he said.

Jesse got closer for warmth. "What do you think about them? About what's going on in there with them."

Methos shrugged. "I give up. I tried to talk to Duncan earlier and he cut me off. Until we can talk without all the bollocks, I don't know anything. He's holding out on me. He usually tells me pretty much everything."

"You two have deep psychological discussions? Stuff like that?"

"Yeah. A lot. We talk a lot. We work out a lot of problems just talking, the two of us. It's good to have a friend you can talk to."

"Yeah, it's the same with Steve and me...sort of"

"You love him, too, don't you?"

"Yeah. But it's just...tenser with him. He's quiet, kind of conservative. When he says something, it's usually straight and to the point. He's just not the kind of guy who would do something like this!"

"What about you?" Methos prompted.

"I'm usually not that spontaneous, either."

"Who else do you talk to besides Steve?"

"His dad, Dr. Mark Sloan. He's my boss, Chief of Internal Medicine at Community General Hospital in Los Angeles.

He's the greatest. He's the most understanding father-type I ever met. Before I met him and Steve, there was nobody."

"You were inhibited. In a cage."

"I was?"

"Yes, you were. You can talk to me if you like. I'm very good at listening."

Jesse looked at him. "Did you ever take psychology?"

"Of course I took psychology." Methos answered offhandedly. "Hasn't everyone?"

Jesse nodded. "A lot of people, yes." He smiled at the immortal. "Did you go to Oxford? You're British, right? With that accent, you have to be."

"I am, in fact, British, and I did, in fact, take a few courses at Oxford." Methos' voice took on a warmth that was very effective. "Does British-taught psychology work for you? Seriously, I know you need to talk to somebody. Do you feel like talking now? I promise to be philosophical."

Jesse thought about it. "Not now. I'm still too tired to think straight and you're making me feel pressured. Right now, I need to go back to bed and sleep some more."

"Okay. Whenever, just let me know." Methos said. "I'm here for you. No pressure."

Jesse smiled at him as he got to his feet, realizing as he walked away that he was reluctant to leave the comfort. "Thanks, Methos." he said.

^^^^^^^

Methos had dressed, sneaked quietly in for Duncan's keys and had driven the T'Bird to the grocery store. He returned with breakfast food. Jesse was up when he came in the door.

"You got eggs!" Jesse peeked into one of the bags. "How are we going to cook them?"

Methos reached into another bag and held up a spatterware skillet. "In my trusty new frying pan." he said. "Just gotta rinse it a bit under the faucet and we're ready to fry."

Jesse nodded in approval. "Cool. What about dishes?"

Methos handed him the bag. It was filled with plastic plates, spoons, forks, knives, cups and bowls.

"Wow, you thought of everything! What else you got?"

"Ham, bread, milk, coffee..."

"Coffeepot?"

Methos held up a pan. "We heat water. It's instant. It's the best I could do under the circumstances."

Jesse patted him on the shoulder. "You did well, Methos. I'm proud of you."

They made coffee first, then fixed breakfast for themselves. Instead of sitting at the kitchen table, they took their plates and went to the couch to watch TV while they ate. Finding
nothing on of interest, they settled for a music channel and watched videos.

"Either this is really delicious or I must really be hungry." Jesse said.

"Yeah, one or the other." Methos said, a little wisecrack he could not pass up. He grinned at him. "You feel like talking yet?"

Jesse stirred thoughtfully in his eggs. "No, not yet. But thanks for turning off the AC. I'm finally getting the feeling back in my fingers."

"I'm sure I can warm you up any time you feel chilly."

Methos leaned very close and nuzzled his neck. "Maybe you just need to loosen up a bit."

"Maybe." Jesse pointed with his plastic fork to the TV. "I love this video. Watch what he does here."

Methos watched the video, knowing a diversion when he was the victim of one. The singer swung onto the stage on a rope from a high balcony, making a dramatic entrance. "That's splendid." he said. "Jesse, do you date women?"

Jesse's eyes turned to him in wonder. "Women?"

"Yeah. Do you like women?"

He understood what Methos was asking. "I'm not really into women. I used to be..but not any more."

"I see. So you're gay."

The blue eyes fell to his plate. "I suppose you could say that, although I've never experienced it firsthand."

"You haven't been with anybody?"

"Well, I wouldn't say that."

Methos set his plate on the coffee table and reached for his hand. "You're in love with Steve, aren't you?"

Jesse shook his head, but his eyes gave him away.

"I knew it. You are. Does he know?"

"No. Until this thing with Duncan, he wasn't into men. Or at least I didn't *think* he was."

"You want in on a little secret?" Methos got closer. "I'm crazy about Duncan MacLeod. I'd do anything to have him. I've wanted him for such a long time it's not funny. And I know you feel the same way about Steve. And we're sitting here letting them be together. We should do
something."

"What can we do?" Jesse asked.

"We wait. Wait 'til they get up so we can talk to them about it."

Jesse looked upset. "What are we gonna say to them?"

Methos shrugged and went back to his plate. "I'm still thinking about that one." he answered.

^^^^^^^

"Methos, did you steal some money from me?" Duncan asked as he joined them. He was wearing only his pants.

"A mere hundred dollars. I had my doubts that they would take an out-of-state check at the local marketplace and you didn't give me time to stop at an ATM. I hope you don't intend to quibble about money. It's not as if you don't have plenty to spare." Methos answered nonchalantly. "I bought breakfast stuff."

Duncan padded barefoot into the kitchen. "You're welcome to all I have, Methos. You know that." he said, washing his hands before putting on two slices of ham to fry. He looked at the flimsy plastic spatula. "Where'd you find this?"

"Shoppers Delite." Methos answered in an imitation of the local dialect. "'Bout a mile up the road. Can't miss it."

The inside quip was received with a whimsical grin. "These locals and their directions!" the Highlander said softly.

Methos joined him in the kitchen to put on more water for coffee, stood very close to him. He touched Duncan's bare belly in an intimate moment. "I'd like to go, now, Mac. Can't you have mercy on me and take me home?"

Duncan hugged him. "Give me a little more time. I know this all feels ridiculous to you. Please be patient. For me?"

"I'm doing the best I can." Methos said. "Is Steve getting up?"

"He's in the bathroom."

Methos was a bit smug in his next question. "How many times did you two fuck last night?"

Duncan couldn't meet his eyes. "That's none of your business, Methos."

"Did you play top or bottom, or did you trade off? Did you give him more of your immortality each time you did it?"

"No comment...and, no, that just happened the first time. I saw the quickening enter his body. And it's still none of your business."

Jesse, who had been waiting for the conversation to turn sour, immediately interfered, shuffling into the kitchen for a drink of water. "Man, I'm really thirsty." he said, squeezing between them to run water into his cup. "Powerfully thirsty."

Methos smiled then leaned over Jesse, sandwiching him between them to kiss Duncan on the cheek. "It *is* my business because I love you." he said.

Duncan turned the ham slices over in the skillet. "Can we talk about this later, Methos? Please?"

Methos nodded. "But of course. Later." He seized Jesse by the arm as he returned to the couch. "Come with me, Mr. 'Powerfully Thirsty'." he said, circling an arm round him as they sat down.

PART 4

Duncan thought it was endearing that Methos and Jesse had become friends so quickly.

He now occupied the green chair, finishing a cup of coffee while Steve sat on the floor at his feet. Steve was very good looking, appeared contented and natural wearing boxer shorts, his lean, muscular body relaxed and unassuming.

Steve's elbow came to rest on Duncan's knee as he spoke to Methos about a automobile race they were watching on ESPN. Duncan wasn't listening to the words or paying attention to the program. He was watching the faces, mostly Steve's.

Steve turned that handsome face toward him and smiled for him, a loving, happy smile. He spoke.

Duncan gazed at him, enchanted, a moment, then focused

on the present. "I'm sorry. What did you say?"

There was slight concern in that handsome face. "Did you ever drive a race car?" he asked again. "In all those years, you must have tried about everything."

Duncan nodded. "Yeah, in 1942 I drove in a race, but I wrecked. I never bothered with another one."

"Did you get hurt?"

"Yeah, actually, I got a busted skull. I was pronounced dead at the scene."

Steve shook his head. "Harsh memories."

"You'll find out some day."

"I will?"

He was so handsome sitting there looking up at him that Duncan lost his train of thought again. He was absolutely the most beautiful man he had ever met and it would be a shame for him to grow old before he became a full-fledged immortal. It should be now, while he was still
devastatingly handsome and possessed all that magical charisma. Now.

Duncan sucked in an intense breath, shocked by the realization.

"Duncan!" Steve had him by the arms, shaking him. "What's wrong?"

Duncan stared at him for a long moment, then put his hands over his face to hide the devastating emotions he felt.

Steve stood up and hugged him, pulling him to his feet, too. "Shhh. It's okay. It's okay. Take it easy." he murmured. "What could possibly be so bad? What's wrong?"

Duncan was trembling. "Steve, you don't know?"

Methos, looking on, sighed in contrition. "I know." he said grimly.

"Well then, clue me in." Steve begged. "What's going on, Methos?"

Methos took a deep breath. "Do you really want to know?"

"Of course I want to know. What's the matter with him?"

"He's falling apart at this moment..." Methos took another breath, then spoke bluntly. "Because he's going to have to kill you."

^^^^^^^

Steve laughed nervously, then stared. "Kill me? You have to *kill* me?"

Duncan faced him with a dark expression. "Yes." he answered. "I have to kill you."

Jesse sat upright, ready to defend his friend, but Methos held him steady. "It's okay." he said.

"Do you think I'm gonna sit by and watch while Steve gets *killed*?" Jesse shouted, throwing Methos' hand away from him. "Get away from me!"

"Jesse, it's temporary! Believe me!" Methos said. "No big thing. Really. He'll only be dead for a few minutes, then he'll wake up healthier and stronger than he's ever been."

Jesse's blue eyes were wide and frightened. "Then why is Duncan so scared?"

"Because he's a sentimental fool." Methos answered simply. "Mac, stop it, okay? You're scaring them."

Duncan broke free from Steve and escaped into the bathroom. Steve rose to seat himself in the chair, looking silently to Methos for answers.

"Okay." Methos said, raising a hand to each of the two men waiting for explanation. "You want to know. Here it is. I'll tell you the story about how I became an immortal. Like you, I was once a normal everyday, ordinary man, except...that was five milleniums ago. I happen to be the
oldest immortal on record. I'm more than five thousand years old. I once shook hands with Jesus Christ, and I was more than three thousand at that time. His words to me were not written anywhere, but they were emblazoned into my memory for eternity. He told me, 'The important
parts of your existence are not so different from mortal men. Walk in peace and you will find the truth.' Of course, he didn't tell me how many years would pass before I discovered that truth.

"My first death was at the age of thirty. To make a long story short, death is only temporary for us. I have awakened recovering from mortal death many times. I was always fine in a matter of minutes. That's what immortality is. You don't age. You stay the same as when you died the first time. The only way death is permanent is if you get your head cut off. That's another
story. It's a little more severe. I can tell you if you want to hear it."

"I think I want to hear it." Steve said.

"Immortals sometimes fight with each other. Carry swords, most of us do. For centuries and centuries, it's been our way of thinning out the population--for lack of a better excuse. I have killed other immortals and so has Duncan. In many situations, in fact, in *most* situation, it's kill or be killed. But I think my count is far less than most, considering my advanced age. I decided
to try that peaceful walk suggested by the man who proclaimed himself to be the son of God, and, for me, for the past couple of thousand years, it has gone rather well. I can't speak for others. To each his own, I suppose. For you, Steve, since you'll be brand new to the entire
concept, I strongly advise giving peace a chance."

"That sounds like pretty good advice to me." Although he maintained his calm, Steve's eyes betrayed that he was in a state of shock.

"There will be others who will tell you that you have to fight every immortal. This is wrong."

"Have you and Duncan ever fought?"

"Yes, well...quibbled...but that's yet another long, boring story. I don't want to fight him. I don't want to take his head. I love him. And he feels the same way about me."

Steve didn't flinch at the disclosure. "Why do you take heads?"

"Because there is the quickening. The quickening that comes from the body when the head is gone. It's like lightning. It's the power contained inside us, our own and of all the immortals we have killed...*spirits*, if you will. It gives you all the dead immortal's power and knowledge."

Steve shuddered. "Thanks, anyway, but I don't think I'm interested."

"Too late." Methos said. "Sooner or later, you're one of us. The longer you wait, the older you will become. You don't want to live forever as a crippled old man, do you?"

Steve grunted. "What's the thing about Duncan having to kill me? He's not planning to take my head, is he?"

"No. He wants to make you immortal while you're still good looking and strong enough to defend yourself against enemies. Just between you and me..." he leaned forward and lowered
his voice as if someone would overhear. "He thinks you're just the cat's pajamas, you know."

Steve forced a smile and patted Methos' knee. "Thanks." He stood, looking immensely tall and princely as he walked barefoot down the hall to the bathroom and intruded on

Duncan's private weep session.

Duncan moaned. "Steve, just give me a few minutes."

"No. No, I won't give you a few minutes. I want you.Now."

Duncan looked up at him, startled. "What?"

"Come back to bed. I want you." Steve took him in his arms and kissed him demandingly. "Now. Come on."

Duncan dropped his wet tissues into the toilet and went with him. Passion overruled sadness any day.

^^^^^^^

"Shit, they're at it again." Jesse complained, turning up the volume on the TV. He was still trembling. "They can't seem to get enough, can they? Is it because Steve's an immortal now?"

"No, my boy, I think it's because they're both just incredibly hot." Methos grinned at him and put an arm around him again, hauling him into a seated snuggle as they watched TV. "I don't know about you, but just listening to them in there is making me so horny I can taste it."

Jesse stared at him in alarm. "Methos, are you coming onto me?"

Methos spoke much softer. "I said that badly. Sorry. What I meant to say was...while they're in there making all that noise, would you like to make some in here, too? With me?"

Jesse's whole stature collapsed with the notion. He shrugged, as if agreeing only because he was being forced. "Sure. Why not?"

Methos cocked his head to one side to study him. "It was just an idea. You don't have to if you don't want to." he said.

Jesse turned to him, took him by the chin and kissed him. Almost immediately, the kiss became gentle. The reluctance, the uneasiness and the fear seemed to disappear as they kissed again and again.

Methos was a little surprised, but not shocked when Jesse's hand went to the fly of his jeans and unzipped them. Then, Jesse was going down on him, giving him one of the best blow jobs of his life. Methos leaned back, sensuously suppressing little moans as he played with Jesse's
wild blonde hair.

Methos came long before Duncan and Steve had stopped their loving noises in the bedroom. Jesse sat up, went to wash out his mouth at the sink and brought back a moist paper towel to clean the drying semen from Methos. When they were renewed and fresh, he sat snuggled
against Methos as if nothing unusual had happened. Declining the offer of a returning favor, the doctor spent the passing moments exchanging a few extra kisses with the old immortal before Duncan and Steve rejoined them.

^^^^^^^

Steve combed fingers through his tousled hair as he took his place in the floor at Duncan's feet again. "Is anything on HBO?" he asked.

"We don't have HBO." Methos said. "We have some other channel I never heard of. Look. It's some old musical flick. Nothing on."

Steve smiled at them, noticing that they were sitting snuggled together. "What's going on here? You two found something together, too?"

Jesse scooted a couple of inches away and stuck out his lip.

Duncan stared. "Methos?"

"We figured if you could do it, so could we." Methos said nonchalantly.

"Are you serious?" Duncan was wearing the beginnings of a smile.

Jesse put a hand to Methos' lips. "They need to talk first. If they can't tell us anything, we can't tell *them* anything."

Methos nodded in agreement. "Yeah. What he said." he said in mock-obstinance.

"Are you doing this just to spite us?" Duncan asked warily.

Jesse glanced to Methos' face, waiting to hear his answer, and when Methos met his eyes, he drew in a deep, guilt-laden breath. He put his hands on Jesse's face, ran his fingers through his blonde hair and leaned over to kiss him gently on the lips. Then he whispered into his ear, "No way. You're too precious. I would never use you just to spite them." he assured him.

Jesse hugged him.

"I wouldn't play with his heart just to make you jealous." Methos said matter-of-factly. "You should know me better than that by now, Mac."

Duncan nodded. "I know you're hurt because of the circumstances, Methos, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry to you, too, Jesse. I know you love Steve. We can deal with all this later. Right now, Steve and I have something to attend to. It needs to be done soon so we can move on to the
next step."

"Okay." Methos said. "If you think it's necessary."

"He has to kill me." Steve said. He spread his arms, baring himself to death. "Go ahead. Any time you're ready."

"You should go get in the tub, so you don't leave blood stains all over the carpet." Methos suggested. "It's going to be messy, you know."

Steve glanced at him, a little undone. "I was sorta joking." he said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't." Methos smiled.

"It's a good idea, Steve." Duncan played with his hair. "If you get in the tub, we can wash all the blood away fast and easy and it won't look as if we committed a murder here."

Steve's hands went to Duncan's hair as well. "Okay. If you really want to do this, I'll go along with it. Does it have to be today?"

"The sooner the better." Duncan answered. "I just feel so antsy. I feel it's incredibly crucial that we get this done and get on to the next level."

Steve sighed heavily. "What is the next level?"

"I don't know. I'm just learning this part of the game, and I'm afraid I'm not adapting very well."

"Okay. How are you gonna do it?"

"Run you through with my sword." Duncan said sadly.

Jesse's lower lip quivered in panic. "Steve, no. What if this is all just a big scam? What are we falling for here? What are we doing? You're going to lie down and let him *kill* you?"

"Jesse, it's okay. It's for real. It's real, believe me." Steve said, patting his knee. "Come on, Duncan. Let's do this." Once again, he headed down the hall.

He dropped his boxers and stepped into the tub, turning to face Duncan, who had gone for a sharp, single-edged Katana sword. Spreading his hands, he said, "Go for it."

"Sit down." Duncan said. "I don't want you to fall."

Steve sat, then laid back. "How's this?"

Duncan leaned over him, kissing him passionately. "I love you. I never felt an attraction like this before in my life, not with anyone. You will always be special to me, Steve Sloan, and I will always be there for you if you need me."

"Keep that up and we'll be putting this off for a few minutes while you climb over in here with me."

Duncan poised the sword directly over his heart, wavered, hesitated, then, overcoming his misgivings, grimly plunged in the blade.

Jesse's scream penetrated the sorrow. Steve, looking round in a state of fatal trauma, reached out a hand to the weeping doctor at the bathroom door and mouthed the words 'I love you, Jesse'.

The heavy blade had penetrated the flesh, entered the solar plexis, slipped through the ribcage and ripped straight through the center of the heart. When the sword was withdrawn, Steve
gasped, mortally wounded. Duncan bent over him again and held him in his arms as he died.

^^^^^^^

Steve's eyes opened in absolute terror, every muscle in his body suddenly tense. His entire being was racked. Duncan held him firmly, knowing what he had seen. He had seen the other side countless times. The reawakening never failed, in its effectiveness, to scare the hell out of
its recipient.

Steve's breath began sharply and his arms closed so tightly around Duncan that it cut off his wind.

The seconds seemed like hours. Finally, Steve released him, looked into those soulful brown eyes, then looked down at his own chest. The blood still covered it, but there was no longer a wound.

He was immortal.

Duncan waited breathlessly for his first words, wishing not to influence him.

Steve showed him the blood on his fingertips and said, "So. Now what?"

Duncan sighed and began to run water into the tub, washing him clean, kissing his lips as he rubbed the soap on his chest. "I don't know. All I know is that I love you." he breathed.

"I love you, too." Steve said.

"But our love isn't the kind of love either of us need in our lives."

Behind them, there was a sob at the door. Methos held a weeping Jesse in his arms, comforting him from the fright he had received.

"I'm okay, Jesse." Steve said. "Come see for yourself."

Jesse saw the blood swirling in the drain. "It really happened. You're really an immortal." he said.

"Yeah. I'm really an immortal." Steve squeezed his hand.

"He was chosen. It was his destiny to become one of us." Duncan said, placidly gliding the bar of soap down the straight line of hair on his belly to other regions. When he began to lather up the genitals, Jesse turned suddenly and left the room. Methos followed with a red face.

^^^^^^^

A few minutes later, Duncan and Steve were back in the living room. Steve was examining his own body in wonder. "So, I won't get old? I won't wrinkle and turn gray?"

"No. You'll be beautiful forever." Duncan answered.

Jesse glimmered enviously at him. "And you'll belong to each other?" he asked.

Steve looked at him. "I think it's time for some straight talk here. I want you to know I'm not abandoning you, Jesse."

"Talk to me, Steve. What, exactly, are you doing?" Jesse asked.

Steve was back on the floor in his same aloof manner, elbows at rest on Duncan's thighs. "Come 'ere." he said.

Jesse frowned in confusion. "What?"

"Come here." Steve stretched out a hand to him. "Come down here. Sit beside me. I want to tell you something."

Jesse sat next to him on the floor. "What do you want to tell me?" he asked uncomfortably.

Steve hugged him. "I'm immortal, Jesse. Immortal."

Jesse clung to him. "Yeah, I know. I'm happy for you." he said, but the face did not convey that happiness.

Methos smiled stiffly at them, then at MacLeod. "How are *you* holding up?" he asked quietly.

"I'm holding." Duncan looked pale.

"And this attraction between you and Steve? Is it holding?"

The two lovers made eye contact. "It wasn't permanent as I thought." MacLeod said ruefully. "I'm pretty sure he and Jesse are meant for each other."

Hope sprung into Jesse's blue eyes as he turned to his partner for confirmation. "Are we, Steve? Are we meant for each other?"

Steve hugged him. "Duncan gave me immortality, but he can't give me forever. Only you can do that, Jesse."

"No, I can't do forever. Just the rest of my life. *I'm* not immortal, you know."

"The rest of your life is a good beginning." Steve kissed him lightly. "I'm sorry for what I put you through."

Jesse crawled into his lap and embraced him hard. "Just never do it again." he said.

"Life won't be a bowl of cherries for us now that I'm immortal. There will be obstacles. There will be danger."

"I don't understand why it was necessary for you to become immortal in the first place, but since it seemed to be 'destiny', I won't complain. Your future is scary, your daily life is a risk, you will always have to watch your back."

"So, what's new?" Steve smiled and kissed him again, winking at Duncan. "As long as I have you, everything will be worth it."

MacLeod went to sit beside Methos. "You were saying?"

"I was saying... that I love you, Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I have waited five thousand years for you to come along and sweep me off my feet, and, finally...here you are,
more bewitching than I ever imagined."

Duncan kissed him. "Shouldn't we be getting along home soon?"

"Whose home? Yours or mine?"

"Is there any reason we need two?"

"We'll work out the details later. This moment, I just want to ravish you and think of nothing else."

"Then follow me." After another lingering kiss, Duncan led the way to the bedroom.


end