Title: World Tilted Sideways

Author: Kristin W.

Disclaimer: "Dawson's Creek" belongs to the WB, Kevin Williamson, and a bunch of other people. No copyright infringement intended.

Fandom: Dawson's Creek

Pairing: Jen/Joey

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: "The Longest Day"

Summary: "missing scene" at the end of the episode "The Longest Day". Jen and Joey find comfort in each other.

Author's Note: This is for Craww in thanks for her help with the Ben picture. <g>

World Tilted Sideways
by Kristin W.

When she turned around to see empty air, Joey ran.

She ran because Pacey was gone. She ran because Dawson was enraged. She ran because the entire world was tilted sideways, and maybe if she ran long enough it would balance the equation and right itself once again. Joey's lungs burned and her sides ached, but it was a *good* thing--because it was action. It was control.

And suddenly she ended up at a house. A house that had never spelled comfort, or love, or hope... So it was a wonder that her legs had brought her there. But they wouldn't budge-not an inch. And she stood on the lawn, watching the stillness and the dark windows.

"Joey?!" A soft voice from the porch hissed out her name in disbelief.

Suddenly she could move again...and that was nice. Joey crept cautiously towards the voice, and was shocked when she discovered a slender body wracked with sobs.

"Jen..? What happened?" Joey knelt down beside her stricken friend, wrapping an arm around Jen's waist. The girl curled into her, sobs quieting for the moment.

"Why are all men such jerks?"

Joey let out a small chuckle. "I've been wondering that myself"

Jen couldn't hold back a smile. Looking up at Joey for the first time, she noticed that she wasn't the only one with a wet face.

"You've been crying"

Joey brought a hand up to her eyes in surprise.

"I never noticed."

A soft finger slid along her cheeks, wiping away her tears, and Joey found herself leaning into the caress. A hand soon followed, cupping her face and bringing her head against the other girl's chest.

"Come on, I've already let it out. Now it's your turn."

Jen held on tightly while Joey's body began to shake and tears poured down her cheeks. One hand came up to stroke the girl's hair as she murmured words and sounds of comfort.

"It's ok... let it out... let it out... that's it... let it go, let it go... everything's going to be fine... you're so beautiful"

"You think I'm beautiful?"

Joey raised her head to eye level, in order to gage Jen's sincerity. The other girl stared back with a soft smile and no sign of deception.

"Of course I do." Jen sighed and smoothed a lock of hair back behind Joey's ears. "Dawson and Pacey are both madly in love with you, that doesn't tell you something?"

"I'm just the-girl-next-door. This sort of stuff always happens eventually"

"Well...you're beautiful anyway. Just look at yourself."

Jen smoothed her hands down Joey's arms to a slender waist, following her curves.

"Gorgeous face, beautiful shoulders, delicate arms, perfect stomach..."

Jen appeared nearly hypnotized as her fingers traced the figure before her.

"...perfect breasts..."

Her hands were drawn to them, reaching out to caress. Joey sucked in a breath and closed her eyes as she felt fingers make contact, smoothing over the shirt...the touch sinking down past the fabric and onto her skin. She felt her breasts give way under the gentle, admiring touch--and for the first time in her life she *felt beautiful*. She felt desired.

A shiver stole down her body as the fingers stroked across her nipples. She whimpered, silently begging for more...because now was not time for words. Words would only break the spell. Words would make all of these exquisite sensations go away.

A magnetic pull took hold, forcing Joey's gaze upward...to Jen's lips. They were flushed and wet...calling to her. Joey reached out a hand to explore, barely skimming the top lip and marveling at its softness. The body before her seemed to relax, inviting the touch with its whole being...inviting more. Before she could question her actions, before she could stop herself...Joey was moving forward to taste.

Their lips met...and it was like falling down a cushioned hole. Everything was so soft and smooth and welcoming. Jen's mouth was so gentle against hers, tentatively exploring new territory. Arms wrapped around her, pulling her in, and Joey felt safe. She felt Jen's soft cheeks brush against face...Jen's full breasts pressing against hers...and it was like sleeping in on a Saturday morning-curled under the covers and just on the verge of waking.

But a voice called from the inside.

"Jennifer? Where are you dear? Are you outside?"

At the sound of Grams voice, the girls sprang apart and looked around wildly. The adrenaline had a sobering effect, and Joey began backing away nervously.

"I...I...we...I was really upset and...I'm just gonna go."

And Joey was running again. Running until her calves burned and her chest heaved. Running until the world turned sideways againbecause she had seen right side upand wasn't *right* damnit. It wasn't her

That wasn't me.


---------
The End.

kwilcox@ea.oac.uci.edu