Title "Currents" Part 2 of the Harbour series

Author Beverly Hills

Fandom Crossover - Dawson's creek/ Law and Order SVU

Pairing Deputy Doug Whitter with Jack McPhee with Detective Elliot Stabler, Jen Lyndley with Olivia Benson, Elliot Stabler with Kathy Stabler

Rating Only for those over the age of consent where ever you are. M-M, F-F, M-M-M, violence

Status Please archive at WWOMB, previously archived at Dawson's Creek Slash Archive

Feedback Yes, yes please

Email address dedler@afao.org.au

Disclaimer: None of these characters belong to me, they all remain the property of their respective production companies. This story has not been written for any financial gain and should not be reproduced without my permission.

Summary: Detective Elliot Stabler comes to Capeside on a case. In the course of investigations he discovers more about the locals and himself than he countered on. Jack and Jen go to NY and almost end up as special victims.

 

Harbour 2: Currents

by Beverly Hills

Elliot lay awake listening to his wife's soft breathing, a few minutes ago she had mumbled some words and rolled over onto her side, one of the words had been "anchor" followed by their eldest daughter's name, the rest had been unclear. The night was hot and still, there was no movement from the light curtain over the open window.

Elliot sat on the edge of the bed and pulled on his boxer shorts, crossing the room on his toes he gently closed the bedroom door behind him. He managed to avoid the loudest creaks as he made his way down the stairs pausing at the bottom to listen for any sign that he had disturbed Kathy or the kids. The silence of the house seemed so complete to Elliot that he hesitated to move again lest he break its perfection. He eventually entered the kitchen, without turning on the light he found a glass and poured ice water from a jug in the refrigerator. Opening the back door, he crossed the porch and sat down on the bench next to the children's rusted swing. The back yard, his suburban kingdom was dusted in silver shadow by a half moon.

He had telephoned Doug Whitter earlier that day, he hadn't anything particular to say but had felt the need to reassure himself that what had transpired the week before in Capeside had indeed occurred and to keep the feelings he now had alive by talking to Doug and Jack. The unreality of the setting, the foreignness and at the same time the feeling of familiarity of what they had done together caused Elliot to doubt his memories. However after talking to Doug for a few minutes Elliot had realised that his body was responding to the other man's voice with an ardour based on total recall.

Doug had told him that he was spending most of his off duty time with Jack, Elliot felt a small stab of exclusion at this, he didn't begrudge them each other but missed not being there in between them. Anyway he had someone to lie next to, to be close, to hold him. He looked up at the open bedroom window and was not surprised to see Kathy standing there looking down at him. She disappeared back behind the curtain.

In what seemed to Elliot like less time than would be possible Kathy appeared at the back door. She came across the yard, wearing a shawl wrapped around her waist, her breasts free and moving, her slender body relatively unchanged by motherhood, in fact accept for the way she wore her hair and the lines of maturity on her face she had changed little in appearance from the girl he had fallen in love with in college. She walked slowly to where Elliot sat looking up at her. She sat down next to him and looked up at the sky.

A couple of minutes passed, the silence broken only by a dog barking somewhere down the street. Kathy turned to her husband and said softly "Elliot I think you had better tell me what's going on."

Elliot looked at the woman sitting next to him and marvelled again at the calmness with which she could deal with what life through at her. "I don't know where to begin" Elliot said, unconsciously reaching out and taking Kathy's hand.

"Why don't you start by telling me if you still love me or not" she replied staring straight ahead.

Elliot turned and placed his arms around her waist, kissed her lips gently and then laid his head on her shoulder. "I love you," he murmured knowing with absolute certainty that it was the truth. She lifted his head kissed him and looked him in the eyes.

"That's important for me to know. Now can you tell me what's been bothering you since you got back, is it the case?"

"It's not the case, Kathy it's me, something has happened to me, I've changed and I don't know what it will mean, for me, you, the kids, my job I just don't know, I feel like I'm watching a movie of my life and I don't have any say as to what happens next." Elliot gripped her hand tighter. "When I was in Capeside I met two men and ……Kathy I had sex with them and it felt right, I swear I never intended to hurt you, this is the first time this has ever happened please believe that."

" I believe you Elliot" Kathy replied evenly. "I've been waiting so long for this to happen, since before we were married, I wasn't totally sure that it hadn't already and now that it has and you've told me I'm kind of relieved. I know I'm supposed to feel angry and betrayed, but I don't."

Elliot stared at his wife not fully able to understand what she was saying to him.

"Elliot I've always known that somewhere inside you was the need to be close to a man, you can't love someone as much as I love you and not be able to see something like that. If I ever worried about losing you it wasn't to another woman, when that happened I didn't like it but I knew what to do. Your buddy Sean at the Police Academy before we got married, a couple of the partners you've had as a detective, the excitement that comes into your eyes when you're around them or even just when you talk about them, I could have pretended to myself that I didn't know but I couldn't not know."

Elliot shook his head slowly "You knew all this time and I didn't" Looking up into his wife's eyes " Kathy do you want me to leave?"

"No Elliot I want you to kiss me."

They embraced, kissed sliding off the bench onto the dew moist grass, Kathy removed the shawl from around her waist and lay it out on the ground she then stretched out on it and pulled Elliot on top of her " We can deal with any changes as long as the way we love each other hasn't changed." She whispered into his ear.

He kissed her face, then moved slowly down her throat arriving at her breasts and taking first one and then the other delicate brown nipple gently between his lips. As he entered her and she reached her arms around him holding tight to his broad shoulders he realised that although he had no idea what would happen in the future their love for each other had not diminished.

**************

Doug shaded his eyes with his hands against the glare of the sun. It was only eleven and already the heat was making the idea of jumping into the creek very appealing. He lay in the bow of the boat with his head resting on the rolled up picnic rug. Jack and Jen laughed and chatted as they attempted to coordinate their oar-strokes, after little success Jack did the chivalrous thing and took over both oars. Moving to sit next to Doug, Jen sighed and trailed her hand in the water. "This was such a good idea" then to no one in particular. "Where should we picnic?"

Jack stopped rowing and said, "I want to go to the island up around the next bend, you know where I mean Doug?"

"Aye, Sounds good to me Captain Jack" Doug mumbled with his eyes closed. Jack flicked one of the oars splashing the reclining Deputy with water. Sitting up quickly Doug dipped his two hands into the creek scooping up water, which he flung at Jack.

After swimming they had felt hungry and had emptied the picnic basket of all traces of food, they now lay side by side on the rug under a willow tree. Jen on the right, Doug in the middle and Jack on the left. The hot afternoon throbbed with the drone of insects and the occasional thrum of a pleasure craft passing by unseen on the leeward side of the small island.

"Perhaps we should stay here forever," said Jack turning over onto his stomach and resting his left arm across Doug's chest, Doug turned to face him and smiled.

Jen laughed, "That's alright for you two but what am I going to do while you're playing Tarzan & Tarzan."

"Oh we'll form a raiding party and go and snatch Henry from football camp for you Jen."

Jen laughed again, "I don't think it would work out Jack, Henry's scared of bugs."

"Yeah you're probably right, Doug's scared of bugs to." Doug rolled over and jumped on Jack sitting on his butt and started tickling the youth "Is that so Jack Mcphee?"

Jack squirmed, laughing and yelling and struggling to turn over onto his back. This achieved he attempted to grab and restrain the larger man's hands. Doug suddenly gave up the fight and leaned forwards to seal his lips over Jack's mouth.

The kiss became deeper and was accompanied by Jack arching his back and grinding his crotch against Doug.

At this point Jen stood up. "I'm going for a walk around the island…. and remember it's not that big an island" She looked back as she picked up her straw hat the dark haired youth and the blond man on top of him seemed to be merging into one another. She moved away from the shade beneath the willow, the kiss continued unabated.

Doug pressed the play button on the answering machine as Jack unpacked the picnic basket in the kitchen. The first message was from Doug's father, the police chief, he sounded as if he had had more than his customary three beers over lunch. Doug punched the fast forward button and blurred his father's message into a whir then stopped at the next message. "Hi Doug, Jack it's Elliot ………. I wanted to talk to you……………the case I'm working on looks like coming to trial soon and we're going to ask Jen to come to New York to testify……….I was thinking maybe you two could come with her and we could all get together again…….anyway call me back……oh…..I've told Kathy everything about us and …well I'll fill you in when we talk, call me..bye."

You-have-no - more-messages…. beep.

****************

"So what have you told Kathy everything about?" Olivia Benson enquired as she came up behind Elliot on the steps of the station building that housed the Special Victims Unit.

Elliot was startled by his partner and fumbled returning his phone to his pocket. Olivia had very rarely seen Elliot lose his composure and this heightened her feeling that there was something going on with her partner since he had returned from out of town.

Their partnership had developed on a basis of being able to depend on one another without trying to live in each other's pockets, she had patiently allowed him space to bring it up if he wanted to.

"What time's the meeting with Cragon and the DA." Elliot asked ignoring Olivia's question.

"Ten minutes, do you think she'll go for it" They entered the building and made their way up the stairs.

"I can't see that she can turn it down with the link between Schaeffer and the burial site established and with Jen Lindley's testimony putting him and the last victim together the night she disappeared."

"You think the girls story will stand up under cross, Schaeffer's not going to have to depend on a court appointed hack, he can afford the best"

"Yea, she's solid, a very together young woman from what I could tell." They entered the SVU and headed to the Lieutenant's office.

A tall thin man sitting at a desk looked up as they entered the SVU office. "Showtime kids, this might help," he said waving an envelope in the air.

"What's this Munch" Olivia said taking the envelope and opening it.

"Schaeffer's lab results, DNA is inconclusive but doesn't rule him out and there's a blood type match again inconclusive but" he trailed off with a shrug.

"We've got enough to nail that creep," Elliot said as he turned and started towards Lieutenant Cragon's office.

"Thanks Munch" Olivia tapped the envelope and followed her partner.

"Good luck" the poker faced Detective mumbled as he returned his attention to the pile of paper's on his desk.

The DA had needed more convincing than either of them had anticipated. Eventually she had signed the necessary paperwork and then left the three Detectives to plan the arrest.

"Gram there is absolutely nothing more to say about it, you are not coming to New York and while I appreciate your concern, this is something I can do on my own, well not quiet on my own I'll have Jack with me but you get my point" Jen smiled and placed her hands on her Grandmother's shoulders.

The elderly woman shook her head "Jennifer Lyndley you are the most obstinate person I know, next to myself that is, very well if your determined I'll say no more, but…"

Jen laughed and put her finger to her Grandmother's lips. "Anyway Detective Stablier will be looking out for us and Doug is going to try to get up for the weekend, so there'll be two lawmen on our case."

"Jack's case you mean." Gram said with just a hint of a smile.

______________________________________

Olivia Benson finished putting clean sheets on the sofa bed in her study; she placed fresh towels on the end of the bed and then went to inspect the bathroom. Despite its pristine condition she was able to locate some areas that needed work. As she wiped the mirror she found herself musing on the cause for this activity.

She had suggested to Elliot that Jennifer Lynley stay with her while she was in New York to testify in the Schaeffer case. It made sense to keep Jennifer under observation, as Schaeffer was quiet capable of attempting to intimidate her out of testifying against him, in fact in Olivia's opinion he was capable of attempting much worse. Elliot had agreed at first but had then begun to think of reasons that the arrangement would be unsatisfactory and that perhaps a hotel may be a better option.

Her suspicion aroused by her partner's weak justifications for his change of thinking she had stood firm on the idea and Elliot eventually relented. As she absentmindedly wiped the cleaning cloth across the top of the bathroom bench she again asked herself why hadn't Elliot wanted the girl to stay with her and why was he so on edge? She stopped mid wipe and looked at her reflection in the mirror. "He's having sex with the girl!" she said out loud. Sitting down on the edge of the bathtub she ran through the known facts in her mind and still came to the same conclusion. And then she remembered another slice of information that potentially added to the picture. Elliot had told her that morning that Kathy and the kids were going away to the beach for a week. Was Elliot sending them out of town so he could be free to spend time with the girl or did Kathy know something and refuse to stick around while this was happening. "I've told Kathy all about us" she repeated to herself words she had heard Elliot speaking to someone on the phone.

Although early on in their partnership she had a crush on Elliot she had convinced herself that it had passed. Sure they were friends, friends whose lives sometimes depended on each other however this did not account for the wave of anger she was feeling towards this teenage girl whom she had never met. Elliot had a wife and children.. and a partner goddam it… and this little tramp just comes sliding into their lives and tips everything on its head. She suddenly realised that she had worn a hole through the cleaning cloth on the edge of the bathtub and was now starting to rub the skin of her thumb.

**********

He watched the two detectives come down the steps of the police station, the tall well built man with the large hands and the laconic grin and the slender almost as tall dark haired woman with the hard to read face. Stabler and Benson, they had been the ones that had arrested him as he got out of a cab in front of his building a week ago today. They along with a lieutenant Cragon had spent most of the night questioning him and then in the morning taken him to court for committal proceedings. The trial date had been set for two weeks time. His lawyer had been able to obtain bail set at fifty thousand dollars.

Two weeks wasn't long but he had already been busy. He had trailed both of the detectives to their homes, and had already discreetly searched both Elliot Stabler's suburban house and Olivia Benson's apartment for anything that may be of use. Stabler had children but they seemed to be out of town at the moment He had spent a long time in the teenage girls bedroom and had taken some souvenirs but other than that nothing. Benson's apartment had proven luckier, on a note-pad on the desk he had found written the name Jennifer Lynley a date and a train arrival time. So little Jen was going to be a witness against him, he had known that they must have someone; all their other evidence was at best circumstantial.

So that left him a week to get hold of Jen…..and talk over old times. As he watched the two detectives get into a car, he started his own engine and pulled out into the traffic. He didn't have to follow them he knew they were going to the station to meet a train.

***********

The cross town traffic was heavy and it had taken them ten minutes to move a block. At this rate they were going to be late meeting the train thought Elliot as he looked into the rear view mirror at his partner's face as she sat behind the wheel. "livia I've got something to tell you"

Olivia's eyes met his in the mirror, before they moved back to searching for a break in the traffic. "Yea, what's that Elliot, it wouldn't be anything to do with you and a certain minor from Capeside?" God I sound like a jealous bitch Olivia thought to herself.

Elliot was silent she turned quickly to look at him, and then looked back to the street in front of the car. Elliot was staring at her. Eventually he cleared his throat and spoke. "How did you find out, did Kathy tell you, what..?"

"Elliot I'm a detective it wasn't difficult. I wish you had told me sooner, I can't believe that you would think that I'd let you shack up with this kid in my apartment."

Elliot looked down at his hands "I'm sorry liv I just didn't know how to tell you and please believe me I had always planned to take him to a hotel."

Olivia frowned and looked quickly across at Elliot "Him? What the hell are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about Jack" now Elliot was frowning.

Olivia spotted a parking space, not a legal one but that didn't matter with the NYPD sticker, she pulled in and shut off the engine. She turned to Elliot "Who is Jack? I'm talking about Jennifer Lynley, okay from the beginning."

************

"It's a wonder your Gram didn't think you were taking off to New York for good with the amount of luggage you've brought" said Jack struggling through the platform barrier with a bag over each shoulder and one gripped in each of his hands.

Jen walking behind him gave the bags a push to squeeze them through the gate. "This is New York Jack and who knows how long the trial will go for and just because you expect to be spending the whole time naked doesn't mean that I won't need a wardrobe to go out clubbing in"

Jack dropped the bags he was carrying and spun around his mouth agape. "You carry your own bags if you're going to be like that"

Jen laughed and picked up one of the bags "O pleeease! Jack don't try and tell me that you came to New York to see the statue of Liberty, Bring me your hard and horny masses longing to be laid, so where is Detective tall dark and handsome I thought he was going to meet us?"

They looked around for Elliot without paying any attention to the man standing just behind them pretending to use a public phone. They also didn't notice when he moved quickly away grabbing the handle of Jack's small bag and tucked it under his arm without slowing down or looking back, he disappeared into the crowd before they had turned around again.

********

Olivia shook hands with Jen and then Jack her mind was racing in an attempt to catch up with what Elliot had just told her, she had to adjust her feelings towards Jen and now come to terms with the fact that Elliot had been fucking with not just this attractive kid she was shaking hands with but also a male Deputy in Capeside.

As they walked towards the exit Elliot and Jack trailed behind the two women. Olivia looked back over her shoulder at the two of them; they weren't talking or looking at one another. "I think Jack is a bit nervous about seeing Detective Stabler again,"

Jen said looking up into the taller woman's face as they walked. "Jennifer, Jen how much do you know about all this" Olivia said nodding her head slightly in the direction of Elliot and Jack.

"Well I suppose you could say I've been in on it since the beginning."

"Right so you know, Kathy Elliot's wife knows it's just me that's been oblivious to the whole thing, you want to hear something funny, I was getting crazy because I thought Elliot was involved with you."

Jen was about to reply that she wouldn't have minded that but thought better of it under the circumstances.

"I feel like such a hick, being robbed the minute we get off the train." Jack said shaking his head and not looking at Elliot.

"These guys are so smooth it could happen to anybody, don't worry about it Tiger" Elliot said placing his hand on the back of Jack's neck and rubbing gently.

Jack felt like he was going to drop the bag he was carrying as he felt blood rushing to his face and other parts of his anatomy.

They reached the car and deposited the luggage in the trunk, there was a moment of non verbal hesitation about who would sit where. Jen resolved the issue by getting into the front passenger seat beside Olivia.

Once Elliot was seated in the back Jack placed his hand on Elliot's grey flannelled thigh. Elliot put his larger hand over Jack's and looking straight ahead broke into a smile, all watched by Olivia in the rear view mirror. She caught Elliot's eye, raised her eyebrow and then turned her attention back to passing traffic.

************

He watched the car pull away. There was something strange about the way the four of them had interacted, like there was something much more going on between them than one would expect and the way that Stabler had looked at and touched that beautiful boy would certainly bear investigation. He returned to his car and studied the contents of the bag. Obviously he had the boy's bag not Jen's, one Jack McPhee according to the name written on the inside cover of a paperback of short stories, of gay men's short stories. "Now this makes things a whole lot more interesting" he said aloud to himself.

 

End of part 2