Until Now

by pari106

Fandom: Dark Angel

Pairing: Alec/Zack

Disclaimer: Dark Angel belongs to FOX, Cameron, and Eglee.

Rating: NC-17

archive: yes

feedback: yes

e-mail addy: pari106@hotmail.com

URL: http://www.geocities.com/pari106/damain.html

Summary: What if Alec had grown up in Wyoming instead of Ben? Ten years after the escape, he and Zack meet, not recognizing one another. Sparks fly… You can guess the rest from there ;)

Author's Note: This is 1/1. I could write a sequel…some day. But I don’t know. Again…I aim to please, but I don’t know everything there is to know about slash so feel free to offer me constructive criticism if you have it. Or heart-felt praise…that’s nice, too ;)

 

UNTIL NOW

by Pari 106

Alec grew up in a Manticore military base established in Gillette, Wyoming. He was born a twin, but was separated from his brother at birth. Over time, he and the other soldiers of his unit began to accept one another as family. They trained together, lived together…and escaped together when they were nine years old, rebelling against the soldiers and doctors who would raise them to be assassins and spies. They’d been genetically engineered for perfection, but had developed the desire to
control how those abilities were used. So they struck out into the free world, getting scattered along the way.

Now, ten years later, Alec moves from city to city, just trying to blend in. Trying to avoid discovery. And trying to live in the meantime. He holds down semi-decent jobs…while they hold his interest. And he entertains himself with a string of affairs and nights of clubbing and bar hopping. He wonders what happened to those other kids like him; his family, his fellow X5s. But
he has never come into contact with them since the night of the escape.

Until now.

**** ****

Alec didn’t usually pick up men in bars.

He generally stuck with partners of the female persuasion. Just a little of that Manticore mindset he couldn’t completely get away from. Manticore had always preached against "sexual deviancy", which included homosexuality of any kind. But also the use of sex as anything but a tool or a means of procreation. That was the reason Alec tended to play it "straight" more
often than not.

Of course, it was also the reason he often did something crazy… Just to give Manticore a nice, big "fuck
you"… But, anyhow…

Alec had been with men before, certainly. He just didn’t make a habit of pursuing them. Usually, they came to him (at least Manticore had done something right). And if he was interested when they did…well then. But he didn’t usually initiate anything. He didn’t have to.

But tonight…

Tonight was different. Because the man Alec eyed sitting at the bar was different from anyone else he’d ever been with.

Alec had noticed him immediately. Even in the atmosphere of the dark, smoky bar, somehow you just couldn’t miss him. It wasn’t his looks…although he was something to look at. His face was ruggedly sexy, but hard. There was something too intense about his features to ever be called handsome. Devastating was more the term. His hair was blonde, and he wore it a
little long. And his body…

There was a small, crowded dance floor in the bar, and it stood between Alec and his subject. But even from across the room, Alec could admire the other man’s build. He was sitting down, but he looked tall. He was wearing blue jeans with a black leather jacket and boots. And Alec could tell from the way he filled out the denim…the way his shoulders squared beneath the
leather…that the man was strong and fit.

He was perfect. He was physically perfect. But that wasn’t quite what made him stand out either…

It was his attitude, Alec realized. He realized this as he pointedly ignored the advances of the lovely lady at his side. There was something so…deliberate about the way the guy carried himself. So certain. Like he was in total control of himself and the situation. There was something about him that said he didn’t need anyone or anything, at the moment, but the drink sitting in front of him. And in a bar like this, full of needy, lonely people like these… That sort of attitude was like a beacon to the masses looking for a worthy partner for the night. A couple of men had answered it. And more than a few young women had
approached him, as well…sitting down next to him with half-lidded eyes and coy smiles. He dismissed them all, one by one.

Alec smiled as he watched another hopeful young lady’s efforts met with disinterest. And then his course of action was set.

He shoved the drink he’d been holding into the hands of the frustrated woman at his side, ignoring her angry protests as he walked away from her. Towards the bar.

**** ****

Zack drained another shot, sliding it across the counter for the bartender. Without a word, he refilled Zack’s glass, nodding before heading on to another customer.

Zack knew he really should slow down. He’d only come in here to get away for awhile… Away from himself; from his thoughts. To lose a bit of himself in the bar’s music, and noise, and dark, smoky atmosphere. But he didn’t generally frequent places like this. He didn’t care for them. There were too many people here; too many unknowns. Too much exposure. That was the soldier in Zack, making itself known.

Whereas some of his fellow X5s seemed to revel in the wild abandon of these sorts of dives, Zack tended to avoid them. Only on occasion did he venture out into a city’s nightlife, looking for company or alcohol. Tonight he just wanted the latter. That and nothing else. Little did he know that his very determination to limit his interest to that one thing was what had been attracting prospective partners all night long.

And then another one showed up.

"Buy you a beer?" came the offer.

It was one of those no-brainer lines Alec usually considered beneath himself. But he got the feeling that this guy wouldn’t respond to the usual bullshit. So he decided he should keep things simple and straightforward.

Zack frowned, not turning to the voice that had spoken behind him. Instead, he was looking at the empty shot glass in his hand. He hadn’t even realized that he’d thrown it back.

It was definitely quitting time for him.

"No, thanks," he mumbled, reaching into his pocket for a handful of bills. He tossed them on the counter, and began to rise…when a hand on his arm stopped him.

"Hey, I insist," the man said, sliding onto the stool next to him…

Zack’s eyes snapped to his hand. It was never wise to invade Zack’s personal space. Touching him, without his approval, was even more foolish. Particularly when he was drunk…as he very nearly was. Zack tensed, and his eyes narrowed…

But whatever warning he’d been about to utter, died away as his eyes traveled up to the other man’s face.

"What are you having?" he asked, with a smile Zack surprisingly felt all the way to his stomach. Something about that smile stopped Zack in his seat, making him forget why he was leaving. Why he’d decided to leave here alone in the first place.

"Whiskey," he found himself replying smoothly as he studied the stranger. He kept his expression neutral, but newfound interest was bright in his eyes. The man sitting next to him was…gorgeous. Exceptionally gorgeous. With features that were almost too perfect, actually. Blonde hair cut short, blue eyes… About a year younger than himself, Zack guessed.

The man held out a hand. "Alex," he said, in the way of an introduction.

Alec rarely ever used his real name in places like these. Not that "Alex" was a very smooth cover. But, somehow, when he’d gone to introduce himself, instead of "Eric" or "Sean" or "Brad", his own name had been there, unexpectedly, on his lips. That had never happened before. He had to catch himself at the last moment from giving himself away, and so "Alex" became his designation for the night.

The stranger just stared at his hand a moment.

And for that moment, Alec wondered if he were just like everybody else he’d seen tonight…wasting his time. The other man was wearing a totally unreadable expression…

But then he looked up…and Alec’s eyes met his. One blue-eyed gaze met another…and there was no mistaking the attraction in either.

"Michael," Zack said finally, using one of his aliases.

Then he shook Alex’s hand in a firm grip, feeling the spark of awareness that passed through him when they touched.

Alex smiled.

**** ****

Some time later…

Alec’s back hit the door.

Stumbling down the hall in his building, towards his room, he and Zack were all over one another. Alec’s hand grasped the doorknob just as Zack trapped him against it with his body, his hands fisting in the front of Alec’s shirt. He nearly hauled Alec off his feet as his mouth found the skin of Alec’s throat…

"Oh, yeah," Alec found himself moaning before running his fingers through Zack’s hair. His hand fisted at the reaction his body was having to Zack’s kisses, and he pulled, bringing Zack’s head up until he could capture his mouth with his own.

Zack groaned into the kiss. He hardly remembered how the two of them had gone from drinks and minimal conversation at the bar…to here, making out in a hallway. But at the moment his body wasn’t interested in entertaining such notions. Forget however they’d gotten there…Zack just wanted to get that one step further - alone with Alec.

"Open the door," he ordered in between kisses. Both their mouths were hungry as they met…they were both using lips and tongues and teeth, making it hard to speak. But Alec heard him. Somehow, he managed to get his key out of his pocket, and in the door, without distancing himself from his companion. Then the door was opening, and they were moving into Alec’s apartment. Zack kicked the door shut behind them as he reached for Alec’s jacket, beginning to pull it off of him.

Alec let him, then went for the buttons on Zack’s shirt as he shrugged out of his own jacket.

In a moment, they were both bare chested.

And Alec stepped back to take a look at the man who’d come home with him.

He’d been right… The judgement he’d made in that dimly-lit bar had been correct… "Michael" was perfection. Absolute physical perfection. With six-pack abs, and perfectly sculpted pecs… Alec was the same. But then, he’d been made that way. He considered it a rare privilege to have found a lover, out here in a world of humans, whose natural physical beauty rivaled his own.Meanwhile, Zack was having similar thoughts about "Alex".

Alec was the first to move, smiling as he did.

His mouth began a trail down Zack’s neck, to his collarbone, as his fingers paused at the button to Zack’s jeans. He didn’t move to unfasten them…just kept his hands there, his knuckles grazing the muscles of Zack’s stomach. Zack groaned as he felt Alec’s breath on one nipple, right before his mouth closed over it. Then his eyes fluttered closed as Alec began to move further down his body. His hands went to Alec’s shoulders, gripping the muscles there as Alec flicked his tongue briefly
into Zack’s navel.

Alec wasted no time in unbuttoning Zack’s jeans then, and pushing them past his hips, along with his boxers. He could feel the blood rushing through his veins with desire, and his hands shook slightly with need as he grabbed Zack with one hand, and used the other to caress him…his thighs, his buttocks…

"Oh, fuck, yeah…" Zack’s heavy breathing turned to moaning as Alec’s hands traveled his body, and then Alec’s mouth finally found him.

Damn, he tasted good. Alec threw himself into pleasing his lover, anticipation of the physical pleasure he’d receive in return coupled with the simple, self-less need to satisfy the person he was with. He had Zack nearly to the brink in moments.

Zack suddenly pulled Alec to his feet, crushing their mouths together in a kiss. Both their eyes were hot, their expressions intent with need. Zack rubbed Alec’s erection through his own jeans, and was satisfied at the growl he got in response. Then, chests pressed together, they stumbled towards Alec’s bedroom.

When they got there, Zack and Alec removed the rest of their clothing before falling onto the bed together.

Then Zack went about returning the favor Alec had just paid him…exploring Alec’s body with his mouth and tongue.

"Oh, yeah…hell, yeah…" he heard Alec’s occasional moan.

Then, finally, he, too, was taking his lover into his mouth. Alec’s hands fisted in the covers beneath them, the sounds and words passing his lips becoming louder as Zack drove him further and further past distraction.

But Zack didn’t pull away even when Alec was there. He didn’t stop…until Alec was mindless, hips moving of their own accord as he came…

One hand twisted in Zack’s hair as Zack took him over the edge. "Fuck…don’t stop, don’t stop…" Alec was breathless by the time it was over.

Then Zack rose over Alec, kissing him on the lips. Watching Alec’s face as he’d come undone, hearing how desperate he’d become…had him nearly coming himself. And he was desperate now, too, for completion.

Alec reached beside the bed for lubricant, handing it to Zack as he turned over, knowing what Zack wanted. He felt Zack’s mouth on the back of his neck as he prepared him for what would happen next. And then Zack was sliding into him, making them both groan...

"You feel so good," Zack was saying in his ear, in a rough voice that broke as he drew nearer climax, and his movements became faster, needier… "You feel so fucking good…"

Alec groaned beneath Zack’s weight, beneath the power of his movements, the strength… Zack’s hands became bruising on his body as he neared fulfillment. And Alec did his best to send him over… He reached back, grabbing Zack by the back of his neck…pulling their mouths together. Then he whispered to him.

"Fuck me, baby. Fuck me now…" and with that Alec thrust his tongue into Zack’s mouth.

It was all Zack could take.

With a sound that was part speech, and part growl, Zack’s movements became faster…faster…until both he and Alec were crying out. He reached around Alec’s body, grasping him and stroking him as his own thrusts went harder, deeper…until finally he was shuddering, coming… Until finally it was over…and neither one of them could speak nor move for long moments.

**** ****

It wasn’t till morning that consciousness returned to Alec.

After they’d made love, he and Zack hadn’t strayed from the bed. They’d pulled the covers around themselves and had drifted off to sleep.

Now Alec was awake, glancing over at where "Michael" slept, on his stomach, his face turned away and buried in a pillow. Alec listened to him breathe, thinking about the night before…

That’s all he’d done since he’d woken up. Think. About the night and what it had meant. Yeah, sure, it had started off like any number of affairs or one-night stands. Two people meet, two people are attracted…two people enjoy one another’s company for as long as its beneficial to both parties. Two people go their separate ways…

But now he knew last night hadn’t been just any affair; any one-night stand. He’d known it wouldn’t be a one-time thing as soon as they’d kissed… That kiss…just a kiss, really, such a simple thing…had effected him more intensely than any other kiss he could remember. And when they’d first touched… There had been more passion there than could possibly be explored in just one night.

But there was also something else. Something that told Alec that last night hadn’t been the beginning to just any affair. Something that told him that last night had been different…just like he’d known, from the first moment he’d seen "Michael", that *he* was different. Something familiar. Something that felt like…a connection, between the two of them.

Alec hadn't been able to identify what that something was. Until now. Now he knew why, beyond everything else, last night hadn’t just been any night. Last night had been a turning point. He knew because he’d seen…

Just as "Michael" had pulled away, just as they’d settled in to sleep…

Alec had seen the back of his lover’s neck.

And he’d seen the barcode there, hidden before beneath "Michael’s" hair, then exposed. The barcode much like his own…the one he’d had removed, as he did every month.

Barcode # 330417291599.

Zack’s barcode.

"Michael" wasn’t "Michael", at all. "Michael" was Zack. Alec’s fellow X5…Alec’s fellow Manticore escapee. One of the twelve kids Alec had spent the last ten years wondering about.

Well, he didn’t have to wonder any longer… He knew exactly where Zack was. He was lying right there beside him.

Now he just wondered what would happen next. What he should want to happen next. And what Zack would think…once he realized the truth of what had just happened between them.

 

end