Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
967
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,145

Best Christmas Ever

Summary:

PAIRING: Sheppard/McKay
Archive: Area 52/anywhere
This is Tony's fault for wanting Xmas fic! :D

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Best Christmas Ever
by Merlin7

 

The Christmas party was a huge success and everyone credited Major Sheppard. It had been his idea and his doing in each and every way. Most of the team had been against the idea. Everyone was missing home and family and friends and to celebrate the holiday seemed too painful. Only it hadn't been. John had charmed and bullied everyone into participating and he had convinced the majority of the Athosians to come to Atlantis and join the fun. It was all about family, which everyone on Atlantis had become, and friends, which the Athosian's were.

But as the festivities wound down, no one could find the major. So Rodney volunteered. And he finally found Sheppard after nearly an hour of searching. And he found him, of all places, in Rodney's lab. The major was sitting against one wall, knees drawn up and arms wrapped loosely around them. Rodney frowned as he approached him. "What are you doing in here?"

"Hiding."

"Why? And why here?" Rodney prompted, as he slid down the wall to sit beside the major.

John shrugged. "Figured it would be the last place anyone would look for me."

Rodney snorted. "Well...you were right. I looked everywhere else first."

"Why are you looking for me?" John shifted a bit and turned his head to look at Rodney.

"Because everyone noticed you were gone." Rodney cursed a bit as he tried to get comfortable. He hated sitting on the floor.

John sighed. "I was hoping I wouldn't be missed."

Rodney rolled his eyes at him. "Of course you were missed. This is your party. major. You're the master of ceremonies and whatever."

"Did you like the party?" John countered.

"It was better than I thought it was going to be." And that was as enthused as Rodney was going to get. He was not a party person. "Good food."

John chuckled. "Yeah...Halling was in charge of that."

Rodney nodded. "So...why are you here instead of the party?"

"Just wanted to be alone."

"Why?"

John shrugged. "I like being alone."

Rodney found that hard to believe. "Right. You're Mr. People Person."

"I'm also the guy that asked to be assigned at McMurdo and liked it there," John pointed out.

"Oh." Rodney did not have a snarky comeback for that one. He took a moment to study the major. "You look...sad."

A sigh escaped John."I guess I am. A little." A tear slid down his cheek and he cursed under his breath as he swiped it away with the back of one hand.

Rodney was stunned. He had never seen Sheppard cry about anything. This was scaring him a bit. "Uh...major...what's wrong?" Not that Rodney really wanted to know. He was no good at comforting people.

"Sorry." John swiped his other eye then cleared his throat. "It's nothing, ROdney. Don't panic. My mother died when I was ten. On Christmas day. So....I get sad about this time every year. No big deal."

"God..I'm sorry." Rodney thought it was a very big deal.

John shrugged. "Thanks."

Rodney was silent a moment then he had to ask, "What happened?"

"Her heart just stopped. She just closed her eyes and she was gone. We were opening presents and....she looked like she was sleeping." John brushed at his eyes again. "Anyway....we stopped having christmas after that. I haven't really had Christmas since and I kinda missed it. I still miss her but now it doesn't hurt so much."

"It must still hurt...you're crying."

John glared at him. "No I'm not." But more tears slid down his cheek, giving lie to his words. "Sorry." John buried his face in his hands. He composed himself after a moment and managed a watery smile. "Do you know why I wanted to have this party? To have Christmas?"

Rodney couldn't even begin to imagine. He shook his head. "Why?"

"To remember my mom. She loved Christmas and it was all about family and being with the people you care about. I lost that after she died. Until now. Until I came here to Atlantis." John wiped his face again and cleared his throat. "I feel like I have a family again, Rodney. And it's nice."

"Yeah.." Rodney wanted to say more but his throat tightened. Christmas had never been much fun for him either. Not with parents who didn't love him. He cleared his throat. "It's really nice."

John nodded. "Best Christmas ever."

Rodney thought about it then had to agree. "It was. Want to know my favorite part?"

"What?" A smile curved John's lips as he asked.

"Having Carson dressed up as Santa for the Athosian kids. Santa with a Scottish brogue." Rodney chuckled to remember. But the kids had loved it and the presents that everyone had come up with for them. Rodney had been stunned to learn that all the cars and plane models for the boys had been made by Sheppard. Carved and created and painted with his own hands. The man had hidden talents and Rodney suddenly realized he wanted to learn what each and everyone of them was. He also realized something else. He was feeling the Christmas spirit.

John was laughing. "He made a great Santa," he began, but the rest was crushed out of him when Rodney wrapped him in a hug. After a moment, John hugged back.

Rodney sighed as Sheppard returned the hug. It felt warm and good and right. And so did easing back just enough to stare the major's beautiful face. Figured he didn't get puffy red eyes when he cried. "Merry Christmas, major," Rodney said softly.

"Merry Christmas, Rodney," John replied.

Then Rodney sealed the moment into the perfect memory. With a kiss.

 

THE END

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Merlin7.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.